[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Secret World any good? I noticed it's on sale on Steam.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: header_early_access-612x337[1].jpg (30KB, 612x337px) Image search: [Google]
header_early_access-612x337[1].jpg
30KB, 612x337px
Is Secret World any good? I noticed it's on sale on Steam.
>>
Great story, characters, graphics are decent, quests can be really in-depth and varied, but the combat is
S
H
I
T
>>
That depends on what you mean by "secret."
>>
File: Best girl.jpg (175KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Best girl.jpg
175KB, 1920x1200px
Everything about it is pretty solid, if you can stomach it's poor combat
>>
>Illuminati
>2005 memes
>memes are so old nobody even remembers them
>Illuminati are now truly an enigmatic, ancient secret society
>>
>>323837038
only edgelords play illuminati.

to OP yeah the game is pretty gud, like other anon said, shit gameplay, quests and atmosphere is good, story is why you would play this. There are quests where you would have to actually look up if you don't think hard enough, which can be ag ood or a bad thing depending on how you feel.
>>
I bought it a few sales ago, but haven't started it yet. Not terribly into MMOs, but this one seems to have enough things going for it that set it apart from others.

How is it shit, by MMO standards?
>>
>>323835563
>>323837852

Combat is the same as in every fucking mmo, its not as responsive as WoW, but is as responsive as any other mmo there, TOR, etc, but story and world is fucking awesome

DONT cheat when doing investigation quests, they are amazing.
>>
>>323836467

>Best girl

Ese, your opinions are Spot Fucking On
>>
>>323838087
>DONT cheat when doing investigation quests, they are amazing.
This.

If you like puzzles at all, or think you might want to try some someday then don't ruin it for yourself. TSW's puzzles are something else and you'd be hard pressed to find any puzzles like them in another game. Even from an actual puzzle game.
>>
>>323837852
>How is it shit, by MMO standards?
another anon here, the gameplay is pretty MEH at best, the game on the combat is the common mmorpg thing that you will see.

But the story makes up for that.

>>323837472
>if you don't think hard enough
Fucking illuminati's quests in a good way
Me and my friend literally wasted hours to get the investigation of the illuminati.
That. Fucking. Clock.
English is not our first language, that's why some shit seems harder than usual
>>
So like is this an MMO where you just play for the story or is there shit to do once you get to max level?
>>
>>323838532
They release new expansions with a decent pace, but it's mostly the story.
>>
>>323838329
>Me and my friend literally wasted hours to get the investigation of the illuminati.
I thought all 3 factions shared the same quests. I don't remember any Templar-specific puzzle missions, but i haven't played in a few years
>>
>>323838273

>Doing an investigation mission
>Trying to repair something
>What the fuck, can't find any clues here
>Decide to use the in-game browser
>Actually google the machine and company name
>There is a match
>Wait...what?
>Go to the website, it has product specs, sales quotes, a phone number to call for service, etc.
>They built a website for a fake company, with fake product specs, for a fake piece of machinery, and pay for the hosting, for one quest in a game

Dedication. Not to mention some quests have you look up fucking youtube videos to solve them. Pretty ingenious how they make you think.
>>
>>323838532
It's also buy once and play like a typical video game, so you could very much just treat it like a singleplayer game.

There is endgame content such as raids and pvp.

There's also new mission chains or areas released every once in a while like >>323838681 was saying, but those cost money.
>>
I bought a lifetime sub when the game first came out. I still play, play for a few weeks, the put it down for a month or two. It's one of those games that I don't seem to get bored with. Helps that I absolutely love the setting, especially the first area. New England born and raised, I love the little nods to area quirks.
>>
File: 1445631952281.gif (773KB, 260x221px) Image search: [Google]
1445631952281.gif
773KB, 260x221px
>>323838774
>tfw using the browser for one of the missions I did a while ago and the search results came up with a shit ton of walktroughs
Why must casuals ruin everything?
>>
File: agartha - secret world.jpg (216KB, 1683x1165px) Image search: [Google]
agartha - secret world.jpg
216KB, 1683x1165px
The combat ruins it.

I really wanted to like it. But goddamn that shitty combat.
>>
>>323839182
>tfw no Louisiana area
At least they had Baron Samedi in one of the holiday events.
>>
>>323835563

Like already stated in the thread. Pretty good everything besides combat, which is feels awkward, slow and uninspired.
>>
>>323839203

I will say that some of them are kind of tricky. One of the first ones, where you have to look at the manhole covers, I didn't notice the little arrows. Found the first few through dumb luck, got stuck on the last one, and moved on. Wasn't until a few missions later that I figured it out.
>>
>>323839374
That would have been awesome but I guess they wanted to be more diverse since it's a global game.
>>
If you could bend time and space in order to change TSW's combat. What would you turn it into?
>>
>>323839791
TERA.
>>
>>323839791
There isn't any MMO with good combat so it's hard to compare it to anything.
>>
>>323839347
I can't say I disagree with you, but I would like to note that this is only a huge problem if you play wow or wildstar. This controls about the same as the rest of the lower tier MMOs. I actually played this today after doing a story run of ToR for a week or two and found TSW to control better. Just keep that in mind, not saying it's good, it's not, but it's not unplayable bad.
>>
>>323839791
I'd give it WoW's controls. I don't think it hast he best combat but it's the most mechanically fluid, and very satisfying. And that's coming from someone that fucking hates WoW now.
>>
>>323838705
First area
the invenstigations quests were about Illuminati
>>
Treat it like a single-player game, don't bother with dungeons or anything that looks too grindy. Game is at its best when you're just exploring its world and doing investigations.

Oh and for fuck's sake do not look up solutions online, I think you can type -tsw in your in-game browser when doing an internet search to access the spoiler-free game-related websites.
>>
I bought this whenever the supreme version was released, haven't had time to load it up, but can anyone comment on whether this game is gonna be kill anytime soon? I'd feel like an idiot if I decide to paly this and they kill the servers.

also what server is the most populated?
>>
>>323840212
>implying that most investigation missions are doable without a guide
>>
>>323840240
>whether this game is gonna be kill
Haven't played in a while but I think they were still doing fine with the cash store, so I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.
>I'd feel like an idiot if I decide to play this and they kill the servers
It's a 100 to 150 hours long game, you probably have time to finish it before anything bad happens.
>>
>>323840507
I was lucky enough to start playing this game with two friends who were going through it for the first time as well, so we were always on Skype brainstorming for quest solutions, ended up doing everything without guides though some investigations were a hue pain in the ass.
>>
>>323840507
They literally are you sad casual mister man.

They can take for fucking ever to figure things out but thats half the fun.

If this game wasn't a god damn MMO it would be so much better. People treat it like the MMO that it is, and feel a need to rush through everything despite the lore, characters, and investigation missions being fucking awesome.
>>
>>323840212
The dungeons have some cool stories attached to them, though. Sadly, for that you do need a bunch of people willing to sit through the cutscenes.
>>
>>323840872
Sitting through the cutscene is fine, playing through that shit is what tested my patience.
>>
>>323840785
Fuck you. Stop trying justify contrived quests just because you managed to brute force through a few of them. Most people don't have the patience/autism for that.
>>
>>323836467
I wonder if she blows up after an orgasm
>>
I've been thinking on getting this for a while. Should I get the normal or the ultimate edition? Are the dlc shit good enough to justify like double the price?
>>
>>323839443
That was the easy part. I always forget the bit with the paintings, and if anything includes morse code I have to just skip the step.
>>
>>323841071
I looked a bunch of up and actually felt stupid afterwards because they aren't all that convoluted. But i do agree i dont want to spend hours dealing with it
>>
Since it will probably never get its own thread, has anyone here played Black Watchmen? It's made by the same people who designed the ARG stuff for TSW and is basically an ARG style puzzle game. I'm probably not creative enough to beat it, but I am enjoying it so far even if I have gotten the occasional hint.
>>
>>323841183
Also wondering this, from what i've gathered supreme has everything that's been released content wise so far? Excluding cash shop cosmetic stuff?
>>
>>323841183
More like expansions that continue story. Worth it if you'll stay long enough to play them.
>>
>>323840240

One nice thing is that there aren't any levels, your level is tied to gear. So, lets say you love the second area, and you want to replay the missions (most missions are on a timer). You can just equip level appropriate equipment for the area, and it'll be a challenge again.

All of the abilities that you unlock can be used, so you could potentially max out every ability and then go back to the starter zone.

Here are 2 tips that I learned while playing that are very helpful.

>For one of your first abilities, take lick wounds from the fist tree. It is a heal on hit passive. If you use AoE abilities, it's a pretty relaible self heal, especially for the hordes that the early game throws at you.
>In London, there is the Haitian market. There is a demon there, he sells tacos. Buy them. Tacos are one of the best out of combat heal over time items, and are petty cheap. You can also put tacos into the crafting window, and break them down into nachos. You eat them faster, but you get a weaker HoT.
>>
>>323838532
There's endgame and shit (the community is actually amazing, but small) but the story is the main thing.
>>
>>323841385
>You can also put tacos into the crafting window, and break them down into nachos.
Is this the only video game in history to do this?
>>
>>323841071
>Most people don't have the patience for that.
A good puzzle is supposed to take you hours or even days to solve, anon. If you don't have the patience for puzzles and just want the XP, then more power to you if you look it up.

But >>323840507 implied that most investigation missions aren't doable without a guide.
>>
>>323840993
I though they were pretty fun, but then again, I don't mind the combat. At least the pugs I ran into were generally nice and we didn't just rush through the dungeons like in most MMOs.
>>
>>323841071
So long as you go into it at least knowing there are a few websites designed to interact with the investigation missions, and have a keen eye for some details, they aren't that bad.

Obviously shit like the morse code is a tossup, but that also doesn't require a guide, just a website that can translate it for you.
Having friends to play along with helps as well.

>patience/autism
Piss poor excuses, friend.
>>
>>323839347
The thing that bothers me personally isn't so much the combat as it is the sort of animations and weapons I guess.

I guess I'm more interested in playing a gun user, but all of my shit is infused with magic constantly and I'm also kind of forced to combo it with other shit, like swords, or even worse, something like fists that just have awful animations. And every enemy fights at melee range even though I get the calculations for damage is different. It just annoys me that they basically ruin most concept characters.
>>
>>323841335
>Worth it if you'll stay long enough to play them.
That's what has me on the fence. I want to play it but I'm not sure how long I'll enjoy it, especially when I know my friends won't join me.
>>
>>323839791
Maybe DCUO or similar?
>>
>>323841881
Leave an e-mail, there are invites that allow you to play 48 hours for free. You can decide after that.
>>
>>323842346
>48
72 hours
>>
>>323841881
TSW plays mostly like a single player game anyway, so having no friends tagging along is not that big of a deal. You'll definitely want the Ultimate Edition since buying all the issues separately costs like a hundred bucks. Try >>323842346 first, though. You should be able to pretty quickly figure out whether or not you'll like the game since it never really changes.
>>
>>323841071
You are aware that the investigations and hard as fuck puzzles are very often considered the best part of the experience? That players solved them, and enjoyed solving them, enough so that they recommend the game mainly for its investigations?

Have you considered the possibility that if everyone else had a blast solving them, and you somehow think they're impossible without a guide, it might mean you're a retard?
>>
>>323843516
No because I know my opinion is the majority opinion.

If the puzzles were logical but hard I'd be fine with them, but they just require you to take wild shots in the dark.
>>
>>323844102
>"I'm right because everybody agrees with me!"
>>
>>323835563
It looks like they used the same character assets from Saints Row 3.
>>
>>323835696
This. Probably my favorite mmo because I love the setting and environments, but out of the 5 people I got to try it out not a single one lasted past a week. Fuck most lasted 2 days.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.