[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else really dislike this game? Just gave it a second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 17

File: nwn2.png (13KB, 190x266px) Image search: [Google]
nwn2.png
13KB, 190x266px
Anyone else really dislike this game?

Just gave it a second chance, stranded in the 2nd town my first time around and thought I'd give it another go. I'm now in neverwinter itself, but I'm on the verge of giving up again. There's just so much stuff wrong with this game.

Graphics wise it looks like shit, but it's still somewhat demanding for some fucking reason. All models look generic and ugly, I prefer the old nwn 1 style (even though that didn't look great either). The music is mostly recycled from the first game, and so are a lot of sounds. The voice acting is alright I guess.

I can get over that though, I've played a lot of worse looking games.

Its mostly the gameplay itself that is super fucking frustrating. The AI is a travesty, my companions are retarded. They constantly switch targets, and start walking laps (very slowly) around enemies that keep getting sneak attack hits in, killing them usually in 10 seconds. Spells are used in the dumbest way possible, big area of effect damage spells get wasted on one creature. The rogue acts like a frontline fighter and fucking refuses to do a sneak attack even after manually re positioning her a few times. Other times the AI just stands there fingering their assholes while getting stabbed to death. pausing and manually giving every single order ends up them promptly ignoring those orders and doing something else.

This wouldn't be a such an issue if all enemy squads (and there are a fuck ton) didn't have quite high stats + the ability to wreck your party easily. Even the most basic mook groups can kick your parties ass on easy. And due to the placement you'll usually attract 2 of those groups. Did I mention there were a fuck ton of enemys? Because there are, one mansion has over 12 of these generic groups of bandits + mage support.

That's not even touching the interface, which is a direct downgrade from the first game and the crashes. Oh so many crashes.

Should I just give up? Does the game get any fun?
>>
>>323788819
Just wait for the remake. Just kidding. Not real.
>>
It's the storyline that won't let me finish this. I think the game and engine is actually pretty good.
>>
>>323788819
NWN2 is literally too hard for you.
Think about it.
>>
I've started this game twice now, both of those times my saves got corrupted. Shame, because I would've finished those playthroughs
>>
If the controls and AI werent ass itd be good, I agree
>>
>>323788819
Didn't captivate me the same way the first game did. Narrative wasn't at all compelling and the characters were shit (besides Sand & Casavir). Hordes of the Underdark was the peak of the series for me and among my favorite rpg games of all time. Mask of the Betrayer is a better NWN game than 2 and comes close to capturing the feeling of Hordes
>>
You can rest between battles you know
>>
>>323788819
Here's your (you)
>>
>>323789465

The storyline is pretty generic so far. Nothing that really bothers me, but the companions I've seen so far are utter shite.

A mentally challenged dwarf that thinks he wants to be a monk. His interests are fighting and drinking. Kinda generic, but he's still one of the more entertaining ones.

Then there's a run of the mill treehugger. The only one that somewhat acts like an adult besides the dwarf.

And then I've got 2 teenage brats with big mouths and sob stories. These two are so annoying, I didn't even include the sorcerer in my party because of it, and the only reason the rogue is still in is because she's the only one that can pick locks.

>>323789587
>>323789968

The AI, controlls and the way the game behaves is complete arse. I play DnD, and that can be difficult as well. However you don't have to deal with a very poor AI in real life, just other players. Also no (not shit) Dm would throw wave after wave of generic thugs at you.

Resting between battles is possible yeah, but also cheesy as fuck. Also if you get swarmed two generic mook groups that are too closely placed together that strat goes out the window as well.

>>323789618
The game is very unstable I agree, I've had about 10 crashes so far. The keyboard controls also do not work. Once you use your keyboard controlls to the other way of the map, be ready to be snapped back to where you first started. First game had that last issue as well though, but not as bad.

>>323789915
Is Mask of the Betrayer worth dealing with all this crap? The only reason I even bothered giving this game a 2nd chance is because I heard good things about that expansion.
>>
>>323788819
Nah yeah, it has aged like milk.

It was fun 1000 years ago, but even the worst worst mmorpg plays better nowadays.

And the story while pretty good from what I remember isn't enough to save it like Planescape.
>>
i hate that fucking camera
i hate it so much
>>
>>323790076
>Is Mask of the Betrayer worth dealing with all this crap

You will be pretty lost going into MotB without having suffered through NWN2. Especially when they bring back key characters that you adventured with and see them in their current state Bishop being fused to the wall and the Warlock who for some reason, supposedly the VA didn't want to come back, is a mute

MotB is actually pretty damn good, so I'd say stick with it and look forward to getting to the sequel
>>
nwn 1
no party
good ui / controls
nwn 2
party
bad ui / controls

JUST
>>
>>323788819
Man I love original NWN, and all pretty much all other Forgotten realms settings games.

But this is one stinker I tried to play 4 times only to quit in first village, its just that bad on every level.

Its like no one who was in the dev team of previous games was in on this.
>>
>>323788819
Who the fuck plays these games with the AI turned on?

Also the basic game is already far better than the official campaign of NWN1, which isn't really such an amazing feat.

And MotB is completely out of the league of both games.
>>
>>323790076
The gameplay is pretty shitty I agree, but it's a party game.
You're supposed to control your party and only rely on AI when you have to.
>>
>>323790704
>Also the basic game is already far better than the official campaign of NWN1

Not really. At least NWN1 didn't force me to bring along an enormous group of companions who are all completely unlikable.
>>
>>323791453
Pretty much this.

I know that used to be the way to play in older games like Baldurs Gate and thats how it works with RPGs in real life. But in the latter you don't have to micromanage everyone and I didn't like the former.
>>
>>323790076
>Nothing that really bothers me, but the companions I've seen so far are utter shite.

They don't get any better. I didn't like any of them.

>The AI, controlls and the way the game behaves is complete arse. I play DnD, and that can be difficult as well. However you don't have to deal with a very poor AI in real life, just other players. Also no (not shit) Dm would throw wave after wave of generic thugs at you.

The best thing to do is turn on puppet mode for all your companions and control them yourself.
>>
>>323791616
NWN2 is by far and large an older RPG.
>>
My character is usually strong enough to solo the game, so the AI could do whatever the fuck they wanted.
>>
>>323791453
The trial and your own stronghold alone make this game better.

>not liking Neeshka, Khelgar, Sand, Bishop and fucking Ammon Jerro
They're not Ps:T or even BG2 levels of quality when it comes to companions, but seriously now. I can't remember a single NPC from NWN1 aside from that elven paladin girl who's also on the cover.
>>
I prefer NWN1 as well, though I really wish I could take direct control of companions like in NWN2. Apparently it's not impossible to make a mod that would do it - the game has DM tools that let a DM take complete control of any creature, so you'd just have to put that functionality into a single player module. But for some reason, no one has done it.

The only other thing from NWN2 that I miss in NWN1 is the quick cast menu. Having all my spells visible and available at once is fantastic.
>>
>>323791905
I'm not lying, every single one of the companions annoyed me in some way.

>Bishop

What does anyone like about him? He's a complete asshole. I won't say he deserved what eventually happened to him (because no one does), but otherwise, fuck him. My Neutral Good character shouldn't have been forced to bring his Chaotic Evil ass along.
>>
File: Modern NWN2.webm (2MB, 1000x440px) Image search: [Google]
Modern NWN2.webm
2MB, 1000x440px
NWN2 is just clunky from top to bottom. There's a reason NWN2 has a handful of really good mods while NWN1 got modded beyond all reason.
>>
>>323794007
Definitely true. The game being clunky is bad enough, but in addition to that, the toolset for NWN2 is apparently much harder to use. NWN1 has 56 pages of modules on the Neverwinter Vault. NWN2 has 6 pages.
>>
>>323794557

Pretty sad state of affairs, I loved NWN 1, but this game gets my ire.

Its a direct downgrade from the first game in almost all fronts except companion control. And they made the AI for companions so unworkable that you'll end up micromanaging everything.
>>
It simply didn't age well, just like NWN1. I still rather re-play the older BG titles instead of the NWN games.
>>
>>323794820
I do have to admit NWN2 can have some really nice-looking environments, but that's the kind of thing you could probably mod into NWN1 if you really wanted to.
>>
I was part of a persistent world server for years, close friends with a lot of them. We held some hope for NWN2 until we heard about the online component becoming one that you had to download the module before connecting to a server

That pretty much fucking killed it for all of us. Pretty sure none of us bought it, and I dumped thousands of hours into NWN1.
>>
Multiplayer is the only good reason to play these games.
>>
>>323794007
>NWN1 got modded beyond all reason.
Because it takes zero skill, effort or talent to shit out a mod for NWN1.
>>
>>323795571
Which means NWN1 has a healthier modding community.
>>
The Trial and Crossroad Keep sections of the game were fantastic. Almost 10/10.

Unfortunately everything else was bland, tedious and mediocre.
>>
>>323795672
lolno thats the exact opposite of what it means.
>>
File: Modern NWN3.webm (3MB, 1000x472px) Image search: [Google]
Modern NWN3.webm
3MB, 1000x472px
>>323795571
>Because it takes zero skill, effort or talent to shit out a mod for NWN1.

Unless you're trying NOT to make a dungeon crawler. Then it's an uphill battle against the game's default scripts at every turn.
>>
File: classes.jpg (492KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
classes.jpg
492KB, 1920x1080px
>>323788819
I actually love NWN2
>>
>>323788819

No idea if you're still around man, but here's what you're doing wrong:

1) Playing the OC, it's shit and you should just go to MotB for a good story/companions
2) Using the wrong camera (I assume) - look at the bottom right of the screen and switch to a better camera type
3) Using AI - you should pause and directly control each party member. Buff your frontlines and send them in, then flank their target with your others. Be careful to avoid attacks of opportunity and prioritize the sneak attack bandits.
4) Not using detect mode - you'll get jumped a lot in that bandit area since they sneak. It's actually the toughest area in the game since your party won't have much in the way of tricks. A common tactic is to make heavy use of summons at low levels since they are disposable and suffer less from lack of armour compared to lategame.
>>
File: jashot10.jpg (370KB, 1358x742px) Image search: [Google]
jashot10.jpg
370KB, 1358x742px
>>323796679
>First mistake: Playing the OC

Why is this true for every NWN game?
>>
File: NWN2 Facelift pack.jpg (601KB, 1913x937px) Image search: [Google]
NWN2 Facelift pack.jpg
601KB, 1913x937px
>>323795345
What? The NWN2 server download is automatic, meanwhile in NWN1 you actually have to manually download lots of haks and shit depending on the server
>>
>>323796957
Because those games were meant to be modding plattforms.
>>
File: X7NyPGO[1].jpg (13KB, 370x336px) Image search: [Google]
X7NyPGO[1].jpg
13KB, 370x336px
>>323788819
>playing the OC
>>
I have a soft spot for NWN 2 because it was my first western crpg. That said, how the fuck were you supposed to beat the final boss without cheating?
>>
>>323788819
I can't play NWN2 becuse D&D in it is too complex for me.

I could play BG1 and 2, but NWN2 has too many options for me.

It was even worse when I tried Mask of the Betrayer and you start at level 20 or something and game expects you to set your character up instantly. I never got past character creation screens.
>>
File: jashot11.jpg (856KB, 1359x832px) Image search: [Google]
jashot11.jpg
856KB, 1359x832px
>>323796974
The shit we had to go through before face sliders.
>>
>>323797313
shit nigga that was literally the best thing about NWN games
>>
>>323796093
lolno you can download a tool to autobuild scripts for NWN1
>>
>>323797313
And three of the four companions in MotB are epic-level spellcasters, which are a bitch to manage even if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>323797587
I realize I that, but I never played real D&D, it's just too much information at the same time.
>>
What are some modules worth getting NWN for? I heard a dance of rogues was good despite being erotic fiction.
>>
>>323797313
you triple idiot
the level up system can auto-level you
can give you recommended skills
or you can even use a premade character
>>
>>323797870
I know there was an autolevel function, but then I would be doubly lost.
>>
>>323797645
Lilac Soul's Script Generator. Yeah, that thing is great. You tell it what you want to have happen and it makes a script for it.
>>
>people unironically defending NWN1

it's genuinely one of the worst games i have ever played. what the fuck is wrong with you people? i mean i can understand if you never played the main campaign and only played online to ERP or something, but the rest of the game was beyond fucking abysmal. and the ONE SINGLE expansion (out of three) that wasn't complete and utter shit is NOT enough to redeem it. it's without a doubt the worst bioware game, even worse than neo-bioware shit. it's really just not good at all.
>>
File: 1427790631581.jpg (35KB, 703x703px) Image search: [Google]
1427790631581.jpg
35KB, 703x703px
>>323790206
this
this so much

The fucking camera keeps me from playing mask of the betrayer for longer than 5 minutes.

I know I'm missing out but Obsidian can really go fuck themselves. Controlling a camera shouldn't feel like I'm playing fucking Starcraft.
>>
>>323797793
Tales of Arterra
The Aielund Saga
The Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher/Demon series
Darkness Over Daggerford
>>
File: Southwest Faerun, Chult.jpg (591KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Southwest Faerun, Chult.jpg
591KB, 1920x1080px
>>323797265
>I have a soft spot for NWN 2 because it was my first western crpg.
Same. It really is nostalgic to me, I always play it around december every year as that was when I first played it. Besides modded NWN2 with Kaedrin PRC is goat

>>323798030
Strategy Mode is very decent, only the other camera modes are pure shit
>>
>>323798030
>All these mutha fuckas complaining about the camera when there are 4 different camera modes

Anyways, I am building pure wizard with a focus in summoning. The sad thing is only having one summon at a time. Does that ever change? Familiars don't count ofc cause they can't do shit all in combat.
>>
File: the_dove_by_smailika07[1].jpg (553KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
the_dove_by_smailika07[1].jpg
553KB, 680x1020px
>>323797931
just make the main character a simple class like fighter, monk or warlock
use Gann since his spells are locked in
use act 2 companion of choice
then you're left with either Kaelyn or Safiya so you only need to manage one epic caster's spells
>>
>>323798030
Have you tried Exploration Mode? That makes the camera like NWN1.
>>
File: aadev2.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aadev2.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>323797645
>>323797853
Yeah, Lilac's is a godsend for when you need simple scripts and don't feel like writing everything out. 75% of my first mod was probably written by Lilac Gen.

But right now I'm trying to create a multiplayer-compatible version of a script system that dynamically spawns creatures around a PC to create a never-ending battle that follows players everywhere. Right now it works fine until I set it into a modern city environment. Then I have orcs spawning on top of skyscrapers and still being able to snipe the player with 7.62mm rounds.
>>
>>323798409
>4 different camera modes
all of them suck
>The sad thing is only having one summon at a time. Does that ever change?
mods, I think there was a console command for it but it might have just been for increasing max companions
>>
File: nwn2main 2014-09-04 19-38-11-06.jpg (303KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nwn2main 2014-09-04 19-38-11-06.jpg
303KB, 1920x1080px
>>323798409
> The sad thing is only having one summon at a time. Does that ever change?
Nope, but there's a quick mod to make the dumb summon limit disappear.
Druids can also have an animal companion at the same time.
I hope you are playing with Kaedrin so the summons are 1 min/level instead of a shitty 1 round/level

>>323798552
What exactly is the problem with the middle one, I think. It's the same view as DA:O, that camera is perfect. The only dumb thing is that to turn around you have to press the middle mouse button
>>
>>323798726
is this that planescape server?
>>
>>323796679
Some anon earlier mentioned I shouldn't skip the OC if I wanted to play MotB, because I wouldn't know what was going on wouldn't know the characters.

The camera isn't an issue for me to be honest. It's shit, but I'm used to shit camera. I've fixed it up as best as I could and its manageable now.

Is it nessecary to always have a full party then? In real life I DM and I'm used to micromanaging a shit ton of mooks at the same time, However I'd like to skip that in my videogames. I could deal with two or three characters. But having to determine the actions of 4 characters with this amount of (dull, repetitive) combat is kind of a bitch.

I'll keep detect mode in mind. Also good to know its the toughest part then.
>>
File: extract brain.jpg (462KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
extract brain.jpg
462KB, 1920x1080px
>>323798838
Yes.
Although I prefer Realm of Darkness, but Sigil is great if you want to play as a lot of different races
>>
>>323788819
Couldn't get into it either. And I'm a massive fan of NWN1.

There's just something about that feels, off.
>>
File: IMAG0212.jpg (587KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0212.jpg
587KB, 2688x1520px
>>323798552
>>323798726
Didn't know there was a mod... Forgive this links source, my gfs boobies to compensate, but it's the first one I found for anyone else complaining about friendly and enemy ai, the ui, and also summon limits:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2007/12/neverwinter_nights_2_a_few_goo/
>>
>>323799202
play the expansion, nigga
>>
File: nwn2main 2015-07-18 23-23-02-76.jpg (462KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nwn2main 2015-07-18 23-23-02-76.jpg
462KB, 1920x1080px
>>323799254
http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/script/spell-fixes-and-improvements
>>
>>323799684
Is this the same spell fix mod as the one linked in the post you replied to?
Ah shit now that I click the links some are broken. Nooooo!

I will get in computer now and do some tests
>>
>>323788819
I liked out a lot, personally.
>>
File: nwn2main 2014-12-18 12-31-19-95.jpg (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nwn2main 2014-12-18 12-31-19-95.jpg
133KB, 1920x1080px
>>323799684
Kaedrin PRC is a must but the version on that Kotaku link is old as dirt
I'll spoonfeed you:
1. Install Kaedrin PRC
http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/200/?
2.Install only the SpellsImproved component from the one I linked for no summon limit
http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/script/spell-fixes-and-improvements
3. Install NWN2 facelift if you don't want ugly faces
http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/212/?
4. Install Path of Evil and Wulverheim if you want good and long as fuck actual campaign style NWN2 modules
http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/18/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/135/?
5. Have fun
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.