[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is any of you hyped for That Dragon, Cancer? Its an adult and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

File: tottalbiscuit.jpg (90KB, 1188x870px) Image search: [Google]
tottalbiscuit.jpg
90KB, 1188x870px
Is any of you hyped for That Dragon, Cancer?
Its an adult and serious game about dying of cancer.

Serious discussion only, kiddies need not apply.
>>
File: deep metaphors.jpg (372KB, 1004x626px) Image search: [Google]
deep metaphors.jpg
372KB, 1004x626px
It will launch on OUYA, Mac and Windows, by the way.
>>
I'll wait for the TB review
>>
File: 1406522160666.jpg (29KB, 279x304px) Image search: [Google]
1406522160666.jpg
29KB, 279x304px
>>323591047
>OUYA
>>
File: game.jpg (279KB, 1004x626px) Image search: [Google]
game.jpg
279KB, 1004x626px
>>323591159
Its a game about a fat bearded guy, his wife's son and a case of cancer, and based on the real story of the main dev losing his child to cancer.
Seeing how TB was a sucker for Tale of Two Sons, he probably will love this as well. Its a "feels" game.
>>
>>323591553
Still alive and kicking. If I remember correctly some big company recently threw money at them?
>>
How appropriate, because indie artsy games are the cancer killing video games.
>>
>>323590874
Didn't it get put on indefinite hiatus after the creator's son died of cancer?
>>
>>323592428
>still alive and kicking
Mobile games and meme games like what you just posted isn't "alive and kicking".
>>
>>323591706
Actually when it first began it was about the dev and having a son with cancer, now it's about losing a son to cancer
>>
File: photo-original[1].png (2MB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
photo-original[1].png
2MB, 1536x1152px
>>323592856
It is when thats all the console promised in the first place.
Not like I own one, but its clearly alive enough to get a new game, praised by the press. Lead platform, too.
>>
>>323590874
>game about dying of cancer

What the fuck has happened to video games?
>>
>>323593296
Yeah man, I wish we got more games about jumping cacti and fucking an indian girl at the end.
>>
>>323590874
Am I hyped? No, not really.

Would I play it? Sure, why not. Might be cool.
>>
>>323593296
Autists who think video games are art took over.
>>
>pretentious indie shit trying to cash in on people's guilt

They won't be donating any funds to cancer research, will they?

Anyway, you wont need to buy this if anyone close to your has passed away due to cancer.
>>
>>323593296
Nothing, this is just a vanity project from a dad that was trying to deal with the fact his son was dying
>>
>>323593096
>praised by the press
So we should avoid it like the plague
>>
>>323591706
>his wife's son

so this is a bait thread then?
>>
Holy shit, if this isn't obvious shilling then I don't know what is.
>>
>>323593373
hey, don't talk shit about my favorite H-game.
>>
File: 1442911302184.png (298KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1442911302184.png
298KB, 500x500px
>>323590874
>adult and serious game about dying of cancer

If I wanted this, I'd just play real life dipshit
>>
>>323590874
looks like indie shit
also
>OUYA
this still exists?
>>
>>323593438
Why would he donate to cancer research if his son already died of cancer?
Like putting on a condom the day after.
>>
why the fuck would I be "hyped" for a game with such a depressing premise?

what the fuck is wrong with you?

I'll pirate it if anything.
>>
>>323593373
Yeah because that actually sounds fun.
>>
Cancer sucks big time, I know but who the fuck would want to play such a game?

Cancer patients? I doubt they want to be reminded how horrible their disease is and that they'll die.

Other people? I sure as shit don't want to play depressing shit about a horrible disease.

I understand their son died of cancer and it sucks but this game doesn't really serve a purpose.
>>
>>323593684
This is probably the stupidest post of the day.
congrats
>>
>>323593296
What is the problem exactly?
>>
>>323593834
>i play games about murder and genocide
>but i dont play games about disease
>>
>>323593834
I want to play it.
>>
>>323594017
Well... yeah.
>>
File: 1452315991719.jpg (153KB, 975x975px) Image search: [Google]
1452315991719.jpg
153KB, 975x975px
Being a survivor myself I will keep an eye on it.

I imagine it's gonna be "artistic" drivel though.
>>
>>323593565
Did you know EA got "shilling" removed from the dictionary because they didn't want people to catch on?

Go on, check.
>>
>>323594017
I play pandemic, checkmate.
>>
>>323593834
People love tearjerkers.
>>
Only /v/ could be triggered by someone choosing to use video games as a way to express themselves or deal with their personal shit.
>>
>>323593834
>who the fuck would want to play such a game?
Well, maybe some people are curious about how such themes could be presented in a game. Might be shit, might be interesting. In any case, if some of its design aspects are interesting or good, they could trickle down into larger budget games.
>>
>>323590874

so did he get cancer from heroin? I'm very confused about the title
>>
For a game no one's heard of, it sure got a fuckton of awards.
>>
>>323594430
No, he explained to his kids that cancer is like a dragon when telling them that his youngest is going to die
>>
Could be cool if it isn't a Gone Home walk around and read/listen to what I have to say and don't expect any gameplay type game.

They could do some cool shit, like having a boss with a ton of status debuffs, or a really strong weapon that also damages and debuffs you, or every now and then you loose a sliver of health or the end of the game coming down an end boss fight that uses blatant RNG that's effected by how much other shit you did.

Or something, I don't know.

If it's just a Walking Sim or a Sit still and watch my deep thing! Then I'm clicking Not Intrested the second I see it.
>>
>>323590874
I is excited for a game with great game play for mys Ouya

This game is have great game play right? I'm sure it will
>>
>>323594789
10 bucks says the cancer player is terminal and you just play a single day or week of this guys life as he accepts death.

What you do during that week with your son is all branching paths with multiple endings

there won't be a hidden don't die of cancer ending I bet.
>>
>>323595275
the whole game was a way for the creator to accept his son's death, now that his son is dead I don't even know if this game has made any progress
>>
I'd rather fight literal dragons, not metaphorical ones
>>
>>323595703
He'll kill himself when the game doesn't sell well. If you have to go and make an arte nuevo video game about your kid dying, you probably aren't facing the world anymore. Dude probably spent the last 2 years pent up in a dark room brooding over the little kid's death.

Someone told him to do this, to let out his grief and frustration by making a game no one will buy, so no one will experience. His child's life equates to a bad business decision in the end.
>>
Here is how you make a game about debilitating *disease*.

At the very beginning of the game you're a total badass. The opening cutscene has you Omnislashing Sephiroth. The game blows its graphical load immediately.

You are told outright that you have to groom your empire, you don't know it initially but you got 5 years. It's perfect now, you are Superman protecting the people, Sim City-ing the economy, and promoting growth and research. Initially in the game your character is personally going out there to slay armies or balance the chequebook. The game doesn't tell you to do this, but from the get-go you have to start training generals and bureaucrats to do that work for you. If you fail to do this and just continue to murder things yourself you start losing battles because your damage output has dropped or your weapon/ship starts breaking. You notice that the enemy stats haven't changed but your durability stats have dropped.

Eventually, you literally start losing mechanics in the game. If you've done a good job the generals and leaders you've taught will do it for you - drought, send your clerk; he knows how to deal with it, invasion, send your second in command, he knows the sword better than you at this point.

You will eventually lose the ability to do anything in the game. Gameplay drags to a halt but sometimes you'll have "a good day" and take the old warhorse/ship out for a ride and punk some insurgents. "Winning" the game means you have a screen of 8 buttons, each occupied by a person you've trained to manage the economy, defense of the realm, drive research, maintain infrastructure.

Then you die. After a short five years of life.
>>
File: thatsit.jpg (11KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
thatsit.jpg
11KB, 235x235px
>le cansur xDd
>>
>>323594068
I, too, am a survivor. We're a dying breed.
>>
A game about dying of can- who the fuck thinks this is a good idea?
Why, oh fucking why, would I want to relate to a sickly man that, with a fat chance, will barely do anything?

The proper formats for this shit are movies and books. Oh fucking god with the industry today.
>>
>>323596375
Honestly the whole thing is kinda sad because this game and the book he wrote beforehand (about being a parent that went through a child surviving cancer) are all just ways for him to deny the reality that his son was dying, like everything came off as "because I wrote the book about him being a survivor that means he won't die"
>>
>>323593684

You can't stop cancer.

If you have shitty genes and/or get old then you're fucked.

You can slow it down but it'll always come back.
>>
>>323596913
its actually about being a dad with a dying baby
>>
>>323596913
The man doesn't even have cancer, his infant son does
>>
>>323596552
Thanks, Doc
>>
>>323596913

I read and watched The Lovely Bones.

A grill gets raped by a child rapist and cut the fuck up in the first chapter.

topkek, I came hard.
>>
>>323596375
>Someone told him to do this, to let out his grief and frustration
This puts things into perspective. I don't know why I'd be looking forward to a game based on a book that has little to add in the interactive department, though.
Good for him, anyways.
>>
>le sentimental indie gaem
>>
>>323596375

The Beginners Guide is kinda similar.
>>
>>323597547
Isnt The Beginners Guide a game from an already successful developer? He made The Stanley Parable.
>>
File: You know what happens next.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
You know what happens next.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Should have given his child the daily dose
>>323596552
That's a nice Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar cosplay doc.
>>
>>323594385
I feel like the might just end up being ok but quickly forgotten. Any criticisms will be swept under the rug with "THE BOY DIED! HOW CAN YOU BE SO HEARTLESS!"
>>
>>323591706
>Seeing how TB was a sucker for Tale of Two Sons, he probably will love this as well. Its a "feels" game.
I doubt it. TB enjoyed Tales of Two Sons because how elegantly it used gameplay to create a powerful emotional moment, not simply because the game was a tearjerker.

As somebody who is all up for games expanding the scope of things they can talk to, somebody who has little issue with short and narrative-focused games, experimental games and all the other shit /v/ generally claims to hate:

This is a fucking stupid idea, and with all due respect to the poor father, it will across as cheap at best and completely inappropriate at worst.
Fucking Pathologic is a better way of talking about cancer, and fucking Silent Hill 2 is a better way of talking about loss of a loved one. This is just so desperately in your face and clumsy it's not even funny.
And the worst thing is: it's going to be impossible to criticize. Because who dares belittle suffering of a father who lost his son to cancer, right?
>>
>>323596109
You can fight dragons in real life, but its not every day you get cancer.
>>
>>323593373
10/10 vidya will pre order
>>
>>323594331
No, don't you see, video games belong to usssss
>>
>>323596518
There's one way to make a game about debilitating disease.
>>
>>323598304
>I feel like the might just end up being ok but quickly forgotten
Maybe, even if it's good, the general gaming public might not remember it for long. Who the fuck am I kidding, the general gaming public is CoD fellas and JOHN MADDEN, they don't even know games like this exist.

If it does even a few things well or in an interesting manner, maybe a few devs in a few places might remember it and integrate some of its ideas in their games.

>Any criticisms will be swept under the rug with "THE BOY DIED! HOW CAN YOU BE SO HEARTLESS!"
That's supposing a whole lot. Maybe in the Kotaku forums, yeah.
>>
>>323598908
>There's one way to make a game about debilitating disease.

Just look at the Warcraft III undead campaign mission where you start with a level 10 deathknight hero and he loses levels throughout the missions, ending up as level 1 at the hardest part.
>>
>>323599020
Yes, that's good.
>>
>>323597762

Yeah
>>
>>323598534
>how elegantly it used gameplay to create a powerful emotional moment
That was really well done, a shame the game is so short. Graphics and music were great
>>
>>323591706
>his wifes son
It's a meme game already
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.