[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People who haven't tried VR thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 508
Thread images: 62

File: 1450356503040.jpg (106KB, 749x826px) Image search: [Google]
1450356503040.jpg
106KB, 749x826px
>Mfw the initial high pricepoint killed all of these new technologies at the time

>DVDs
>TVs
>Phones
>Cameras
>Video recorders
>CD players
>MP3 players
>Video game consoles
>Personal computers
>>
>>323561832
Come back in a year after the Oculus has released.
Ask about VR, then.
>>
I honestly think anyone who thinks VR will fail is stupid.
>>
>>323562136
>Oculus meme
Vive will be the only good VR.
>>
File: Virtual Feel.png (211KB, 680x684px) Image search: [Google]
Virtual Feel.png
211KB, 680x684px
>>323561832
>attaching a screen to your face is VR
That's like calling headphones audio VR.

Also, fresh meme for you guys.
>>
>>323562136
Yeah that high initial price point is the nail in the coffin. What was the OP about again?
>>
>>323562252
Please improve the quality of your posts.
>>
>>323561832

There's nothing on it that interests me that much to slap down $600. I also haven't been able to at least try it out.
>>
>>323561832
All of these products had a clear purpose to mainstream consumers.

VR doesn't. "More immersion". That's pretty much it. The price alone doesn't matter - it just makes the situation worse. The real problem is that the device seems pointless.

Name a single game that would be IMPOSSIBLE to *play* without VR. I'm not talking about games that would be less immersive or whatever without VR, I'm talking literally unplayable without VR.

Name just one.
>>
>>323563080
New forms of entertainment don't have purposes to mainstream consumers? Listen to what you're saying dipshit.
>>
>>323563167
>New forms of entertainment

How is VR a "new form of entertainment" and not just a new form of display?
>>
>>323563397
I forgot current displays have sophisticated head and motion tracking, allowing you to feel like you're actually inside the world in front of you.

Classic case of "haven't tried VR but is ready to criticize it at any opportunity"
>>
>>323563480
>I forgot current displays have sophisticated head and motion tracking, allowing you to feel like you're actually inside the world in front of you.
If I mount a camera on top of a regular computer monitor it'll track my head movement too.

Stop trying to sugar coat what is nothing more than a more advanced and immersive type of display.

>Classic case of "haven't tried VR but is ready to criticize it at any opportunity"

Classic accusation from a VR shill.
>>
>>323563762
You're freely admitting to not having tried it, so I'm not sure why you're here.
>>
>>323563828
>You're freely admitting to not having tried it
This never happened.

I tried Oculus at CES. The technology is nice, but the business model is and always will be untenable.

I just don't buy into this collective delusion from VR shills and hacks that this will catch on with normies significantly more than 3D television.
>>
That's how I smile at other white people to. Are they saying I do that because they're black, or just because I'm white? Because it's the latter.
>>
>>323564120
If you'd actually experienced VR you'd never compare it to something like mounting a camera on top of a computer monitor. Maybe next time Rajeet.
>>
>>323564203
It's the "sorry for slavery and all that stuff" nod.

The better question is why are you smiling at people on the street?
>>
>>323564220
>If you'd actually experienced VR you'd never compare it to something like mounting a camera on top of a computer monitor

I never compared it. All I said was that head tracking would theoretically be possible if you mounted a camera on a monitor because head tracking alone is not that amazing.

>Maybe next time Rajeet.

That projection.
>>
>>323564306
It's just how you acknowledge people. You give a terse smile and nod.
>>
I don't think it will fail, but unless they learn how to make compact self contained units, Sony will be the market leader. Whether or not that will be a bad thing is something we can't tell right now, but it will absolutely happen if VR gains any sort of momentum.
>>
File: 153.jpg (21KB, 160x180px) Image search: [Google]
153.jpg
21KB, 160x180px
>believing in the VR meme
>>
>>323564372
You just do that to random people? I actually heard this is common in America, along with talking to people you don't know.
>>
VR will never be more than an enthusiast technology.

More than that, it's niche within the enthusiast community.

It's a disruptive experience that separates you from your environment. This is a mall-kiosk experience. And beyond that, it has no mechanical benefit (and in many cases, brings distraction/detriment) with most genres. It's all "experience and immersion" at a high price point, with cumbersome tech.

I'm not shitting on anyone who's excited. This can bring a lot of interesting new shit, a new type of experience for some genres, and might even end up with a few great, exclusive games. But, if you think VR is the next thing, the next major platform or standard or even something that's going to maintain a major presence in the game market long term, I think that sounds pretty foolish.
>>
File: 1377351718310.jpg (73KB, 590x390px) Image search: [Google]
1377351718310.jpg
73KB, 590x390px
>>323563828
>u dont kno if u haven't paid $600, wait three months, and have a $1200 PC to play it
>>
>all this post purchase rationalization
I laugh every time
>>
>>323564537
How is that not true?
>>
File: Costanza VR.png (239KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Costanza VR.png
239KB, 600x450px
>>323562252
>>
>>323564418
Well not in a crowded city street or something, but I live in a suburb so if we're the only two people on the street and can see each other for five minutes before we pass then it's weird to not make eye contact when we do.
>>
File: 1393815439452.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1393815439452.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
I know you're trolling, but all of those technologies you listed greatly improved upon the experience of the one before it. You could CLEARLY see the advantages of using one.

It's like if people had flat screen televisions back in 2002 and Samsung released a handheld television for like 1.2k. People would say "Why would I buy that when I can just use a regular TV? Too rich for my blood."

More importantly, those technologies can be used by literally anybody. Even the fucking Apple Watch can be used by literally anybody, no strings attached. The Oculus Rift requires you to have a goddamn GTX 970 or higher. That's a fraction of a percent of all people who own PCs.
>>
>>323561832

You are not alone anon, the price is just a nonsense
>>
>>323564715
You would know VR greatly improves the experience if you ever tried one.
>>
>>323564306
If you're passing someone on a sidewalk or something it's just awkward to pretend not to see them and look straight forward (assuming it's not a busy area of course, in which case that's fine). So I usually end up spilling my spaghetti, not sure whether to look at them or not, and one of us will usually end up either saying Hi as we pass and/or nodding.
>>323564418
>along with talking to people you don't know
Yep. Well, it depends. It's common in the South, and I think it's somewhat common in places like New York or California where there are a lot of weird people (thus conditioning the population to not give a fuck about anything). You don't typically give people your life story or anything, but small talk and the like is fine.
>>
>>323563167
VR isn't a new form of entertainment, it's just an alternative way to consume an old form of entertainment.

Did you think the kindle was a brand new form of entertainment?
>>
>>323564715
>You could CLEARLY see the advantages of using one.

I see you weren't around for the "DVDs look no different" phase, kid.
>>
The technology was clearly DOA when it asked for an R9 290 or a GTX 970.
>>
>>323564831
Books aren't entertainment.
>>
>>323564857
Not him, but very very few people argued against dvd being a better format.

The extra control options alone convinced people it was better than vhs.
>>
>>323564831

>implying films are the same as books

GTFO fagget
>>
>>323564943
I take it you've never heard of fiction.

They still make you guys read novels in school, right?
>>
>>323564831
>it's just an alternative way to consume an old form of entertainment.

You mean like DVDs, MP3s, CDs and widescreen TVs?
>>
>>323565047
>>implying films are the same as books
How and where did I do this?
>>
>>323565112
In the sense that they aren't a brand new form of entertainment, yes.

Also, all of those are more or less standalone, whereas VR is an accessory requiring other more expensive equipment.
>>
File: 0lgrT[1].jpg (381KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0lgrT[1].jpg
381KB, 900x1200px
>>323561832
this is how black people smile at you when you pass them on the street
>>
>>323565324
Initially, yes.
>>
>>323564857
>I see you weren't around for the "DVDs look no different" phase, kid.

DVDs had other benefits besides better picture quality.

-No more fragile tapes that get jammed.
-No more fragile tape reading heads that deteriorate more every time you run a tape.
-Bonus features
-Chapter select
-Easier storage
-And most importantly, absolutely no disadvantages compared to VHS - it wasn't a whole new paradigm anyway, it was just upgrading to the latest format - VHS was literally from the fucking 70s, people knew it was time for an upgrade.
>>
>>323565173

the extra dimension of films over books its equal to VR over screens. Maybe not today, but that tech is able to remove the difference between play a game and be in one. I assume you have used the VR right?
>>
>>323565426
I have, but you didn't answer my question.

How did I make the implication you claim I did? I likened books to a kindle in reference to that claim that vr is a totally new type of entertainment. I never likened it to film, and all you are doing is showing that you made a crazy mental leap all on your own.
>>
>>323565426
>I assume you have used the VR right?

please stop using this meme

it just activates everybodies shill detectors
>>
File: CHKk-ECVAAAeYWL.jpg (36KB, 804x365px) Image search: [Google]
CHKk-ECVAAAeYWL.jpg
36KB, 804x365px
>>323565324
1MB RAM. 10MHz CPU. 5 lbs.
$3,000
>>
>>323565624
It's a valid thing to say. Why would you criticize an experience you haven't tried?
>>
>>323565376
initially yes, what?

Are you saying VR is going to somehow become standalone systems instead of an accessory to one?
>>
>>323565720
Of course (or make significant leaps in lowering requirements). Or are you making the implication that technology doesn't improve over time?
>>
File: 1418103218813.gif (2MB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1418103218813.gif
2MB, 256x256px
>>323564535
>>323564715
>VR will never be more than an enthusiast technology.
To be fair, isn't that what people have said about every change in technology since the beginning of time? It's hard not to look back on History and go "Pft, of course I know better than them" but people keep making the same mistakes.

The argument that it's DoA because of the requirements is silly too. Plasmas were expensive as fuck (10K+) on release before quickly dropping in price, becoming incredibly popular, and later being replaced by LED / LCD TVs. I got a ~52" Plasma a few months ago for $300. We're seeing the same thing with 4K right now. My point is that the power-equivalent of these requirements will quickly become cheap as even more powerful technology arrives.

Technologies fail because of lack of consumer interest, and with all the competition in the VR Market already that shouldn't be a concern. PSVR will presumably be cheaper than the OR, so that alone will keep the market afloat while technology improves. And you can bet your ass that even if VR as we now know it never takes off, other applications of the technology will eventually spring up. This is something people have been dreaming of for decades, if not centuries.

So I'm going to sit back and HOPE it takes off, but I'm not going to make a claim one way or another like a retard.
>>
>>323565621
>VR isn't a new form of entertainment, it's just an alternative way to consume an old form of entertainment.

explain this
>>
>>323565624
>movie theaters are useless! I have an old CRT tv that works perfectly fine!
>I don't need to watch a movie in the cinema to tell it's useless! fuck off!
>>
My freind got one of the oculus dev kits like ~2 years ago
He even had the razor hydra things that were lik wii motes
Everyone but him thought it was a dumb gimmick
I still stand by that decision

He could fucking cheat in TF2 with the hydra though by dragging them above his head and crouching he could shoot while covered
>>
>>323565701
>It's a valid thing to say. Why would you criticize an experience you haven't tried?

because you are assuming that they haven't tried it without evidence, it's basically an ad hominium

not to mention you haven't actually addressed his point

or the very valid fact that if people need to try VR in order to understand the benefit then the product doesn't have much of a commercial future

also every single fucking VR shill says it,. it's like a goddamn clockwork
>>
>>323565639
What's your point?
>>
>>323561832
Vr is an accessory you fucking faggot
>>
>>323565890
That's not how TF2 works, the hitbox is not affected by your position in VR.
>>
>>323565794
When do you expect VR headsets to advance to the point that they will contain all the necessary computing power onboard to run then future games at expected graphical settings of that then future time?
>>
>>323565924
Any new tech (or new form-factor of established tech like the tablet was) is expensive as fuck, so price is a poor argument.
DVDs were expensive too.
>>
>>323561832
nonwhites have no business being in my country they should leave all of them

everyone here agrees
>>
The dumbest shit? Releasing a product that requires a PC powerful enough to run games at 1440p/90fps on TWO screens months before new GPU's come out that would make that a lot easier and probably more affordable for people.
>>
>>323565990
The oculus didnt matter it was the hydra
He could use both hands in surgeon simulator also
>>
>>323566046
About 10 years max.
>>
>>323565868
VR is just consuming video games with a depth and immersion variance. Were the 3ds and virtual boy new forms of entertainment, or were they just video games?

Are 3d movies or e books new forms of entertainment, or just variance on an old one?
>>
It's odd that people only criticize the gaming aspects of it. VR has so many uses in medicine, business and even military applications, that's why so many businesses were tripping over themselves to fund it. It may not be the most popular gaming peripheral, but it can't "fail."
>>
I've never tried VR, I'm not retarded enough to think that it's going to die instantly because it starts at a high price point, but I do think it's just a fad and will probably be treated more like the wiimote than the analog stick in the future.
>>
>>323566110
The dumbest shit would be delaying it for no reason
You can just wait for the new GPU's and it'll be the same as far as you are concerned
>>
>>323565917
This is just nonsense. People either try new technologies then buy or read hype/reviews/listen to word of mouth and buy.

"Needing to try it" isn't a barrier at all.
>>
>>323566067
That's nice, cause my argument wasn't about that.

Maybe reread my post and try to understand the point I actually made and think about your response and how they relate.
>>
>>323566162
So in ten years they will sell VR headsets with significantly better pc hardware than the configurations being recommended for VR today, and they will be small enough to fit on your head?

Really?
>>
>>323566110
The processing power required for VR is about 15% higher than in a normal monitor of the same size and framerate.
>>
>>323566456
Are you being sarcastic or is that a serious question?
>>
>>323566067
DVDs weren't an accessory to vhs. They were a brand new format attempting to replace vhs. Vr won't replace monitors any time soon if at all.
>>
File: white people smile.png (93KB, 332x328px) Image search: [Google]
white people smile.png
93KB, 332x328px
>>
>>323566581
No one said they would, tablets don't replace PCs for example but they are still alive and kicking.
>>
The biggest thing that doesnt make since to me are immersion fags.
How childish do you have to be to get immersed in fiction like a 7 year old playing pretend.
>>
>>323566456
This is entirely plausible. Do you have any idea how technology progresses?
>>
>>323566456
Sure, look at where smartphones are right now, and they are far more constrained by form factor than VR is.
>>
>>323561832
And all of those were shitty when they first came out but have gotten much better with time, which is why I will wait instead of buying in at the first attempt.
>>
>>323566568
It's what I asked you before. I asked you when VR would have onboard hardware to run all their games natively at industry standard graphics and you claim this will be ten years.

I asked you again because I don't think you understand what you said and what that would mean to have that sort of hardware in a device strapped to your head.
>>
>>323563080
Name one movie that's impossible to watch without 3d.

Name one song that's impossible to listen to without CD

Name one movie that's impossible tow atch on dvd

Name one movie that's impossible to watch wtihout color

Name one movie that's impossible to watch without a TV

See my point?
Just cause it's an improvement and not something completely new doesn't mean it'll fail.

Oculus rift allready changes almost everything when it comes to flightsims and likes.
>>
>>323566225
>that's why so many businesses were tripping over themselves to fund it. It may not be the most popular gaming peripheral, but it can't "fail."

businesses were tripping over themselves to fund 3D television too

>>323566309
most people buy things without having tried them first

did you play all of your consoles at least once before buying it?

did you play on a PC with your graphic card before buying that graphic card?

for people to buy something they need to see the clear benefit BEFORE they try it

most people don't actually trust reviews, the research has proven it time and time again
>>
>>323566716
It's not a choice. You'd know that if you'd tried it.
>>
File: 1430081357496.jpg (43KB, 192x196px) Image search: [Google]
1430081357496.jpg
43KB, 192x196px
>>323561832
Oh no fuck I realized I smile to people like that.
>>
>>323566815
VR in 10 years won't be the same as a desktop in 10 years, but VR will become the "standard" just like smartphones are the standard for mobile games.
>>
>there are people on /v/ that hasn't been here for FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS
>>
>>323566225
>It's odd that people only criticize the gaming aspects of it.
Gee, I wonder why people would focus on the gaming aspects of a device that was originally marketed primarily for usage with videogames, developed in part by a renowned game programmer, with help from a popular game development studio, on the videogame board of 4chan instead of discussing the business applications of said device.
What a mystery.
>>
>>323566808
Smart phones in ten years won't be as powerful as PCs now that are required for solid VR at 2015 visual standards. How will they compress hardware that will run vr games properly at 2025 visual standards to fit in a headset?
>>
>>323566815
I'm not the same guy as the one you were talking to before, but it just seemed like an obvious "yes, technology will be better in 10 years" sort of deal, which is why I asked.

But explain what you mean, I guess.
>>
>>323566858
>Oculus rift allready changes almost everything when it comes to flightsims

Haha no. When you descend in a virtual VR airplane can you actually feel the g-forces on your body?

Enjoy your glorified monitor.
>>
>>323566869
Immersion makes no since to me, at all.
I play shit because its fun not for whatever reason someone could provide for being immersed.
Like shit it is obviously not fucking real, I couldnt even do this when I was 7 like I mentioned about playing pretend, all the other kids were fucking stupid.
Doesnt stop at vidya, movies, books, whatever I just dont understand these people.
>>
>>323566810
>CD Players and MP3 players were shitty when they first came out
How does it feel to be underaged?
>>
>>323566815
What do you think it means? More advanced and powerful computers are not heavier or hotter than their older counterparts.
>>
>>323561832
Black people are actually mad that they can't smile like this?

lol, we're being discriminated against because we don't have gigantic cartoon lips now guys....
>>
>>323567003
So VR will be what, 10 years behind how gaming performs technically on other systems?
>>
>>323566858
It changes basically nothing when it comes to flight sims, it simply means you don't need a full cockpit sim around you and can instead more comfortably rely upon what is in the program.
>>
>>323567101
You are autistic or chronically depressed.
>>
>>323566862
>businesses were tripping over themselves to fund 3D television too
3DTV is solely used for entertainment, while VR can be appropriated for other purposes. The businesses funding it probably don't care if you use it as a virtual waifu sim or Scam Citizen box, gaming isn't its only function.

Also, your comparison is silly because 3DTV had a severe lack of content. TV shows would only occasionally have 3D airings, usually for special events. Meanwhile Occulus already has a ton of content and it's not even officially out yet. There's really no comparison between the two.
>>
what about betamax
>>
>>323567123
They also aren't radically smaller.

How much smaller is your gaming pc today than your gaming pc ten years ago?

It's not, hell your video card is probably larger.
>>
>>323567087
>Haha no. When you descend in a virtual VR airplane can you actually feel the g-forces on your body?
Well of course you don't actually feel G-Force (that's some future shit), but I remember someone saying that they felt g-force when they were testing a VR Rollercoaster sim. I can't say for sure since I haven't used VR, but then, neither can you.
>>
>>323566903
Don't even feel bad. I guess some black guy thought white people only smile at nogs like that, but if it's someone you're just passing on the street, that kind of slightly curt formality smile is all you need to give.
>>
>>323566808
You do know that Moore's Law is absolutely dead right?

By 2020 we will have reached the limits to how thin silicon can be fabbed without breaking the laws of physics.

Unless a newer material is ready by then, there will be stagnation in improving computer processing speeds and/or miniaturizing.
>>
>>323567087
What kinda casual doesn't play flightsims
>>
>>323566225
>why are people talking about video games on a video game board
Never change /v/
>>
>>323567196
how? arent it usually the autist that get wrapped in fiction?
My best friends kid is super autistic and has pretended to be a velociraptor for like the last 5 years for 80% of the time
>>
>>323561832
>>Phones
>>Cameras
>>Video recorders
>>CD players
>>MP3 players
all dead and replaced with he Apple badge, though.
>>
>>323567162
Maybe not, smartphones and tablets exist purely for the portability but since you only really need a room for VR it doesn't really need to be standalone.

I predict AR goggles will be standalone while VR will always be a peripheral, wires are not a problem since wireless VR is perfectly possible even today.
>>
>>323567226
>Meanwhile Occulus already has a ton of content

None of it is good content
>>
>>323565805
>To be fair, isn't that what people have said about every change in technology since the beginning of time?
>appeal to history
>ever
no
>>
>>323567180
>It changes basically nothing when it comes to flight sims, it simply means you don't need a full cockpit sim around you and can instead more comfortably rely upon what is in the program.
>you can now do without building an 20,000 dollar aircraft cocpit around you
>instead you need this 600 dollar face mounted dual monitor and sensor system to get similiar effect, an effect much greater and way more immersive than Track IR
>not changing everything

ok
>>
>>323567425
>phones are dead
the shit I hear on this board
>>
File: 1397950573118.gif (13KB, 360x234px) Image search: [Google]
1397950573118.gif
13KB, 360x234px
>>323567516
What a comeback, anon.
>>
>>323567101
You seem like a very dull individual tbqh
>>
>>323567347
what is quantum processing
>>
>>323567101
You enjoy media because you become immersed in it, you fucking clown
>>
>>323561832
We smile like that because we're not happy to see you
>>
>>323567615
>what is speculative technology
>>
>>323567087
You won't but sensory hallucinations due to vision and sound are a real thing.
Hell, looking at a wound hurts more than the wound itself.
>>
>>323567347
Oh come on, that's just like the people who say PC/Xbone/PS4/WiiU is shit because they have no good games, it's a lazy criticism. VR already has a fuckload more content than 3D ever did, anyone could find something to use it for.
>>
>>323567703
>We smile like that because we're not happy

ftfy
>>
>>323567602
regular telephones and standalone phones are pretty dead, they were replaced by integrated devices and became a feature rather than their own thing.
>>
>>323566858
>Oculus rift allready changes almost everything when it comes to flightsims and likes.
Not at all.

TrackIR already does great for flight sims, arguably even better because one can still look at your flight plan
>>
>>323567668
No I enjoy it because I find it good/interesting.
When Im playing DMC I dont think Im a fucking demon hunter whos diet consist of pizza
When I watch jurassic park I dont feel fear for the TV dinosaurs
When I read the hobbit Im not afraid the ogres are going to eat me

none of this has any impact on me in the real world
>>
>>323567705
>speculative
You know it already exists, right?
>>
>>323567347
quantum processors

not even memeing, quantum computers already halve binary values. Its what octo is to byte
>>
>>323567425
>phone, any works really.
>DSLR/any camera with a decent lens
>DSLR/gopro/actual cameracorder
>cd players. Until music stops being sold on a CD, CD players and readers will never fall out of fashion.
>high definition media players

For general dr beats by mr dre/apple/foxnews user, the laymen, a smartphone can fill all these requirements, hell even do what a computer does - social media.

But if you are even moderately serious in any of these, you need a real tool.
>>
>>323567347
You can find hundreds of quotes by famous scientists and engineers saying technology or science will stagnate, and they're always wrong. It's never a good idea to bet against technological progress.
>>
>>323567347
There are lots of potential materials for replacing silicon, it's far from a dead-end.
>>
>>323562252
andd so the question comes naturally...
have you even tried it?
>>
>>323561832

I have tried the development kit playing some exploration based pseudo games, as I like to call it. I'm not impressed in the least though I've heard about a guy managing to get it to work with HL2. I'm not giving a damn at least until I get to try that.
>>
>>323567838
Nobody thinks like that. That's not what immersion means.
>>
File: Lucky quote3.png (106KB, 600x334px) Image search: [Google]
Lucky quote3.png
106KB, 600x334px
>>323567979
I was just memeing. :^)
>>
>>323568024
then please fucking explain because this has all stemmed from me not seeing the appeal of VR because everyone throws around the word "immersion"
>>
>>323567910
not him, but you can't say standalone cd players aren't already out of fashion.

Very very few people use them outside of cars, which is the holdout that's really keeping these things around, and with more new cars adding mp3 player connectivity that's going to only keep decreasing.

Hell the cd section at my best buy is 10% of what it was 12 years ago.
>>
>>323567347
>implying we won't start etching single silicon atoms into entire logic gates
get on the next level, senpai
>>
>>323567858
You know it hasn't been demonstrated to work any faster than a traditional computer right?

>>323567949
>argument from history

>>323567952
True but will it be ready in time? And will it be able to work faster?
>>
>>323561832
>Personal computers
Actually, it kinda did, it was nothing but glorified calculator with office type of programs on it.

Only until price was dropped to sane levels did computers start to be relevant in every day use.

as VR is consumer electronic from the get go, this is a huge problem for VR.
>>
>>323567838
You are extremely autistic.
Like, you have no conceptual understanding of the human mind and instincts at all.
>>
>>323568098
You feel like you are placed in the world because of the combination of technologies, not just viewing the world on a monitor. If you use a roller coaster demo on Oculus for example you get butterflies.
>>
>>323568196
>argument from history
That's no argument, that's greentexting.
Once again: explain.
>>
>>323568201
because I dont play pretend?
>>
>>323568259
Except I didnt, my friend had an oculus and the hydra and had all sorts of little things like that for it
Not once did the fact I had a monitor attatched to my face get past me.
>>
>>323568274
He's not insulting you here, he's using the word in a literal sense. If you really don't understand, there's a good chance you're autistic (assuming it's not a semantic issue).
>>
>>323568268
I don't have to say anything because your assertion was based on faulty logic (If some people in the past said X about Y and X about Y was wrong, then a person in the present saying X about Z means that they are wrong too).
>>
>>323562252
why is there a sensor dot on his penis
it's too small to accurately keep track of
>>
>>323568274
It's not a matter of "pretending", when you sense something, even if you know it's fake, your body and mind will react accordingly.
Your body gearing up to adrenaline mode because of jump scares is a very primitive form of this for example.
>>
>>323568516
haptic feedback
>>
>>323568134
Yeah.
Books may be obsolete as well but people still buy and read them.

People who actually listen to music tend to buy CD's. CD stores will still be around for quite a while.
>>
>>323568554
Jump scares havent phased me since I was like 13
And the whole point is that I know its fake and have no reaction to it because it is fake.

Ive dealt with real scary shit like getting tossed into an alligator infested lake and getting shot at by niggers while I didnt have my gun on me.
>>
>>323568765
books are not obsolete, what are you talking about?
>>
>>323568394
You haven't tried it
>>
>>323564535
Possibly, but I doubt it won't eventually see mainstream use once it reaches a certain leve. Though the same technology will be used for AR, which will guaranteed never remain an enthusiast technology.
>>
>>323568765
They'll be very niche though, like cassette tapes. Unlike vinyl, which can be superior to digital sometimes because of compression/loudness issues, CD's don't really offer any advantage to digital.
>>
File: waifu.jpg (196KB, 801x622px) Image search: [Google]
waifu.jpg
196KB, 801x622px
>>323568803

Wow you sound like a real stone-cold badass anon. Remind me not to mess with you.
>>
>>323569139
Im just trying to ask whats the big deal with this shit and people keep trying to say fiction is scary anon.
>>
>>323568803
Lack of emotion and reduced reactions to events is a classic symptom of depression, your body's reflexive responses get dulled - even basic stuff like sweating.

Also people that had previous traumatic experiences are far more sensitive to jump scares so your "real scary shit" isn't really relevant.
>>
>>323568803
Please stop writing fanfiction for yourself
>>
File: waifu's beautiful face.jpg (40KB, 409x338px) Image search: [Google]
waifu's beautiful face.jpg
40KB, 409x338px
>>323569270

You probably can't understand with your unstoppable force of will and penis that has been inside many ladies.
>>
>>323569130
CD is simply a container of digital information.
>>
>>323561832
>>Video game consoles
were mostly cheaper on release than now
>>
>>323565379
Not having to rewind your tapes every time would have been enough to warrant the switch
>>
This thread feels like the post-release Wii U threads all over again. How people were really defending the gamepad and it's vaguely-possible benefits for immersion in gaming.
>>
>>323569130
>Tapes
>Digital

ok, buddy
>>
File: 1433335186360.jpg (46KB, 306x203px) Image search: [Google]
1433335186360.jpg
46KB, 306x203px
>>323568446
If I say that an Apple will fall down because it has always fallen down before, I would also technically be wrong. But if I say that I think the apple will fall down based on previous experience and knowledge, it's a completely fair assumption. One that will generally hold true due to the Law of Gravity.

So while I can't truthfully say that a way to get past the future limitations of Transistors WILL be discovered, it's an incredibly reasonable conclusion for someone to reach. You even make that clear in your post when you say the technology will stagnate IF no newer material is ready by then, and since we already know about a few different incredibly promising potential technologies on the horizon, I'll say again that it's a fair stance to take.

My post (>>323565805) makes this clear too.
>So I'm going to sit back and HOPE it takes off, but I'm not going to make a claim one way or another like a retard.
>>
>>323567303
it's the "look at this stupid nignog face"
>>
>>323569448
Have you ever used one?
>>
>>323569448
I don't think anyone has ever tied the Wii U game pad to immersion ever.
>>
>>323567787
more IQ = more knowledge = more things to worry about
>>
>>323569503

So would you say that it's **very probable** that we will break the speed of light barrier because we broke the sound barrier?
>>
>>323569496
I think you misread my post. I wasn't calling tapes digital. i was saying CDs had no advantage over things like phones or streaming. Vinyl does, objectively in certain cases. Cds will become extremely niche as cassette tapes have become.
>>
I tried the Gear VR at Best Buy, and for a hundred dollars, that's worth it if only to watch 360 Youtube videos.
I think the lower priced VR like Gear and Cardboard will take off, because even normies are okay paying that much for novelties.
>>
>>323561832

GUYS GUYS I JUST HAVE ONE QUESTION.

Are the porn games any good on VR? If not I don't give a fuck about "immersion" in my vidya any more than I already do.
>>
>>323569702
No, I would say you're a fucking retard with no argument.
>>
>>323569796
Dude sex epic
>>
>>323568954
>the same technology will be used for AR
What, the same technology they're using right nor for VR? There is literally zero chance of that happening. You can't see shit through lenses like those.
>>
>>323569448
I think most of the hype for VR will die down as soon as people actually use one outside of trade shows and so can mess around with them for more than 15 minutes.

Most of the Oculus development kit units are already collecting dust in people's homes.
>>
>>323569702
No because the two are not comparable at all, speed of sound is just a matter of getting faster while speed of light is a physical impossibility.
Using new materials for transistors is not physically impossible and actually a very doable thing that many companies are working.
>>
>>323569796
>3DPD
>Good
>>
>>323569785
Yeah, number-wise it'll be mobile VR > console VR > PC VR
Quality-wise it'll be the other way around of course
>>
>>323569760
>i was saying CDs had no advantage over things like phones or streaming

But they have, phones and streaming are not storage devices while CD is.
>Vinyl does, objectively in certain cases
No, all vinyl does is introduces distortion to recording, it's not lossless or great quality, it's analog storage device, with is always shit quality when it comes to audio.
>>
>>323569796
Yeah, I hope it lets me listen to soundboards of different farts and lets me watch Family Guy as well.
But then, the only things that matters is sex right? XD haha
>>
>>323569982
its not 3dpd if it was never recorded with a camera
most vr porn right now is, though
>>
>>323569546
>>323569646

My brothers got one for Christmas and it came with the Nintendoland disc. Asymmetrical multiplayer was interesting, but it didn't seem like Nintendo had a killer idea of what to do with the gamepad and were throwing ideas at the wall to see what might stick. Even the first-party releases after launch became 'regular non-waggle games you can play on a tablet' or 'regular non-waggle games you can see the map/inventory for on your tablet' - forcing a square peg into a round hole. The games people cite for the Wii U even now - Mario Kart, Smash, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 - are games that use the gamepad itself as an afterthought at best. And to me that's the same scenario 3D and virtual reality are stuck in. Nice additions or afterthoughts but they don't change the market, like the DVD or the NES or the Wii did.
>>
>people still think vr isn't just a gimmick

I bet you retards have a 3D TV, laserdiscs, and cases of Pepsi clear.
>>
>>323569796
what the fuck happened to you /v/?
>>
>>323570307
CRYSTAL PEPSI WAS THE SHIT
FUCK YOU KYKE
>>
>>323570304
Most people who have tried VR seem to agree that it delivers a qualitatively different experience, though.
>>
File: Only the dead can know peace.gif (2MB, 458x334px) Image search: [Google]
Only the dead can know peace.gif
2MB, 458x334px
>>323561832
VR will not really catch on because normies don't want to have something strapped to their face while playing. How to reach your drink and snacks? You are blind to everything but the game.

I'm not saying VR is bad. In fact it's pretty darn wild. But I have no faith. It's for hardcore gamers only and casuals is where the money is.
>>
>>323570307
I do have 3D TV, it's just LCD TV with 120 refresh rates.
>>
>>323570447
Porn was never excluded from /v/. But the fact that he doesn't care about vidya is deplorable.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (118KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
118KB, 1000x1000px
>>323570014
I've already seen the View-Master VR on Target shelves for 30 dollars. It's literally just a plastic google cardboard viewer for kids, so it's not great, but that's a highly accessible price to anyone who has a smartphone. This sort of thing will sell.
>>
>>323570508
most people who have tried VR have either only spent 5 minutes with it or are shills with development kits and vested interests
>>
>>323570307
I got my EYETOY®, I'm ready for VR™
>>
>>323570532
Buy a Vive which has a frontal camera you dummy.
>>
>>323568843
because why read books when you have PDF and ebook reades. They are obsolete technically speaking as one ebook reader can contain an entire library and still weigh 150 grams, while visually being close to actual paper.

But people still buy books despite them being obsolete and inferior and unecological because the ebook doesn't feel as good as a book.
>>
File: 1433760924509.jpg (11KB, 251x231px) Image search: [Google]
1433760924509.jpg
11KB, 251x231px
I just want to escape my shitty reality as thoroughly as I can short of committing suicide. Why do some anons think that's so wrong? I can't even afford to upgrade my computer for a VR headset, let alone buy one of the things, but I thought most of /v/ would share my need for the most intense escapism possible.

I feel like all I've seen is people talking about how overpriced the headsets are, and how it's a trending phase meme technology that will die off like 3D televisions. I won't claim these are wrong, since everyone is entitled to their feelings on the matter of changing media landscapes, but I really thought I would see more positivity from /v/ about niche tech aimed at nerds for the sole purpose of maximizing escapism.
>>
>>323570737
Because they require no batteries and they are portable, they do not have backlight and they don't strain your eyes.

books have million of cons when comparing to electronic counterparts, they will never fucking die.
>>
>>323570653
And if they sell, phone companies will start thinking about giving their phones better IMUs, allowing apps low-level OS access to reduce latency, maybe even adding low-persistence screens. Something like google cardboard, for a phone designed with VR in mind, could very well be as good as a Gear VR.
>>
>>323570508
>Most people
>seem to agree

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word
>>
>>323570968
/v/ is full of underaged normies that never tried VR, that's why.
>>
File: SouthParkLionKing.png (230KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
SouthParkLionKing.png
230KB, 512x384px
>Dude nobody has a DVD player
>>
File: file_56857_0_viewmastermovie.jpg (36KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
file_56857_0_viewmastermovie.jpg
36KB, 500x333px
I'll only jump on the VR bandwagon when its some legitimate VR room / chamber. Spy Kids shit.
Not interested in having a 10 ton glorified viewmaster hanging off my face so I can play indie jumpscare fests and first party 'experiences' where I walk through a field of daisies and contemplate my sexuality.
>>
>>323570968
>/v/
>nerds
What year do you think it is, anon?
>>
>>323570968
why do you want to stay hooked up to a machine
just go, be a vegetable elsewhere
>>
>>323571159
You mean room scale? Vive does that.
>>
>>323570968
Fact is, I think a lot of people are just upset they don't have the disposable income to be able to spend it on things like VR if they so choose. Plus, opinions.

I can't honestly say I've never told someone not to play a game, or that the game they like is shit. I do it all the time.
>>
>>323571159
how hard is it for /v/ to not talk about something until they've tried it?
>>
>>323571256
And so does Rift. But he probably means something more like a fucking holodeck that lets you walk around arbitrarily far and touch things.
>>
>>323565353
Good one. Very original and funny.
>>
File: 1447708860157.jpg (88KB, 730x694px) Image search: [Google]
1447708860157.jpg
88KB, 730x694px
>>323562252
>That's like calling headphones audio VR.
>>
>>323571346
>Poorfag neets
>Trying expensive shits
>>
>>323571380
So the joke is that the audio aspect of VR tends to be completely overlooked by people who don't know what they're talking about?
>>
>>323564120

>I went to CES and came back here to shitpost

GOoD SHIt ThaTS SoME GOoD SHIt RiGhT ThEre
>>
File: Pleb.jpg (109KB, 759x1022px) Image search: [Google]
Pleb.jpg
109KB, 759x1022px
>people in this very thread are putting VR on the same level as DVD's or phones

Could you shill a little quieter please? I heard the same shit about the Wiimote, the same shit about touch controls, the same shit about camera vidya, the same shit about the fucking Steam console and pad, and ALL of them either flopped, or were reduced to gimmicks. VR isn't the future, it's the latest spicy meme and anyone thinking otherwise needs to pull their head out of their ass and re-join the real world.
>>
>>323571370
Rift doesn't do it properly at a good scale.
And don't fucking post that article or Palmer's nebulous tweet.
>>
>>323571479
Follow your own advice if you're going to refer to everything as a meme.
>>
>>323571346
Fuck you dude.
I don't WANT to give it a try. Everyone doesn't have to like what you like. Am I an informed consumer that has extensively tried the product and can review its pros and cons fairly? No, because I think it's fucking dumb.
Welcome to the real world, where people don't like things.
>>
>>323571642
>I don't WANT to give it a try.
Even if it's a free demo at a hardware store or something?
No one telling you to buy one before trying.
>>
>>323571346
Why don't you try chemically castrating yourself?
You're not really in a position to discredit it until you try it after all.
>>
>>323571815
/v/'s analogies never disappoint.
>>
>>323564715
U don't need a powerful pc to use oculus rift. just don't use the highest graphic settings. I have a laptop with a 970m and 1.3 HDMI ports and a i7 cpu, so i'll be fine.
>>
>>323571479
Let me guess: You are a consolebabby that thinks the latest AAA game is the height of entertainment achieved by humanity.
>>
>>323561832
>tfw I tell people not to even bother if that's the best smile they can muster
People's reactions when you call them on their shit is kinda funny.
>>
>>323571642
Chill out. All that was asked of you is to not run your fucking mouth about something you haven't even tried, not to go out right this moment and put down hundreds of dollars on it.
You're like the SJWs trying to censor games they don't play AKA you have no business in this conversation and would be better off just ignoring it.
>>
File: 1234214325345.gif (112KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
1234214325345.gif
112KB, 500x372px
>>323571872
>m
>>
I'm at a university with VR shit and I still don't care

I just don't really care...
>>
>>323566110
I thought it was 90fps over all, 45 per eye? Is this not the case?
>>
>>323570098
Look up loudness wars. While I don't care about analog recording and don't own a record player, there are reasons to own vinyl besides being a hipster. Many digital songs are compressed way too much, however due to the physical limitations of records the sound can only be compressed so much. This means vinyl can sound "better" at normal volumes than something you hear digitally.
>>
File: oculus.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
oculus.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
>1939
Cutting edge technology.
>>
>>323566110
Dumbest shit? Not using already standardized products and instead jacking up the price because of muh apple designzzzzz

let's hope the fucking vive learns
>>
>>323571998
>45 per eye
It's not fucking shutter glasses, both eyes are 90 fps and rendered at the same time.
>>
>>323571627
At this point VR is a meme with how much /v/ is throwing it around and acting like it's the second coming of high def. It's a gimmick that will die out in a few years just like every other gimmick forced by faggots.

>>323571901
Ebin. Does that thought make it easier for you? Would it upset you if I said I'm an idort with a rig that's probably far more powerful than yours.

Whoops, there goes that comment.
>>
>>323571642
If you don't want to try it, you don't have to try it.
That doesn't change the fact that talking about something when you're not informed about it, as you stated, is silly. Just ignore it and move on, as you seem to want to do. It's best for both parties, is it not?
>>
>>323561832
That's how white people smile at me in downtown LA. When I lived in the South I usually got something more genuine or even a greeting, even by the cops. LA cops are racist as fuck.
>>
>>323572015
That's just audio engineers being retarded, not something inherently better in vinyl.
>>
File: 1452140988288.jpg (49KB, 298x247px) Image search: [Google]
1452140988288.jpg
49KB, 298x247px
>ITT: Poorfags
>>
>>323561832
how do black people want whites to smile?
>>
>>323561832
Dumb preorder drones will get their VR kit and notice that they cannot use it because they get motion sick easily. I cant wait.
>>
File: PS3 horse.png (291KB, 600x478px) Image search: [Google]
PS3 horse.png
291KB, 600x478px
>ctrl+f: $599
>0 results
>ctrl+f: PS3
>0 results

Proof that /v/ is full of millennials now.
>>
>>323571908
It's not hard to smile, whether or not you're genuine.
But maybe I just smile too much.

>>323571998
>>323572143
Yeah it's 90 for both. I've heard that it doesn't even use a system like interlaced or progressive for rendering to the screen, it does everything in sync.
>>
>>323572294
I would hope you would at least try out VR at an event or the Gear at Best Buy before spending money, but I know people really are that stupid.
>>
>>323572313
Or maybe this thread isn't full of memespouting retards who want to rehash an 8-year-old dead joke?
>>
>>323572313
It was already repeated ad nauseam when the price was announced.
>>
>>323572143
But it renders different images for each eye.
>>
File: 494.gif (35KB, 448x256px) Image search: [Google]
494.gif
35KB, 448x256px
>>323571313
I guess some part of me just thought this one would be different. Sure, I expected some people to be against it, but I expected those people to be seen as contrarians who refuse to try impressive new options for gaming. I didn't think they would make up what seems to be the majority opinion.

It's not even that I'm bothered by the negative comments about the technology. No, I understand where most of these people are coming from, but I figured there would be a fair few more enthusiasts trying to talk about the possibilities of the technology. There are some here and there, of course, but the negativity is simply everywhere.
>>
>>323572313
Do you even know what a millennial is?
>>
>>323572313
The ironing
>>
>>323572294
People that get motion sick say that you get used to it after a few uses. But all the people puking at first is definitely going to make the news.
>>
>>323572313
So what are you saying?
It will sell poorly at 600 dollars, but start doing good after it drops in price?
>>
>>323572447
Yes but thanks to optimizations and such the performance cost is only about 15% instead of double,.
>>
>>323572525
No, he's buttblasted because people aren't making PS3 jokes.
>>
>>323572454
>I figured there would be a fair few more enthusiasts trying to talk about the possibilities of the technology
That's more hassle than it's worth. Just give it a couple years.
>>
>>323561832
VR is an accessory to existing tech, not new media nigga
>>
>>323572227

Well if you're smart enough to know that vinyl introduces distortion, you're smart enough to know that vinyl often loses frequencies that the human ear may perceive as unpleasant.

Which means that even though you're not experiencing the music as it was produced, you may very well be happier with what you're getting out of a vinyl. It's subjective and can often be described as warmer.

Yeah, CD is Objectively better. I still like listening to vinyl instead sometimes. Oh well.
>>
>>323572207
I wasn't racist until I started interacting with black people more regularly. I'm not a cop. I'm just saying.
>>
I'll probably get one. I liked Nvidia 3d Vision despite all the hoops I had to jump through.

Is the Vive the way to go? I don't have interest in walking around, at least I don't think I do.
>>
>>323572454
Everyone is excited for VR, the doomsayers here are just the typical 4chan contrarians being retarded.
>>
File: gone.jpg (27KB, 486x498px) Image search: [Google]
gone.jpg
27KB, 486x498px
>>323572313
I really hope you're twelve or something. The possible reality that you're just a 20-40 year old man desperately clinging to decade old console war meemees is far too depressing to accept.
>>
>>323572454
I can't speak for anyone else but I just have no interest in a gimmick like this. It's not that I don't have money for it, I don't have interest in it. I feel the same way about this as I do about the Wii's waggling gimmick, or the Wii U's second screen gimmick, or the kinect or any other thing like that
>>
File: 1434115901558.jpg (55KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
1434115901558.jpg
55KB, 453x604px
>>
>>323572627
I'm really not an audiophile, so maybe this is bullshit, but couldn't you measure the function of how vinyl modifies the sound and emulate that digitally?
>>
>>323572627
That's retarded, muting unpleasant frequencies is the engineer's job, it's not something that is overlooked easily.
Also all vinyl records today come from digital masters so there is absolutely no mastering difference.
>>
>>323572681
>Everyone is excited for VR

Speak for yourself. Some of us have been around long enough to recognize exciting but unviable overhyped technology that will disappear from view in a few years time.
>>
>Oh, you don't want to buy it? You must be poor ;)
Playground logic
>>
>>323572627
That's just because you are listening in different speakers.
>>
>>323572642
They way to go is to wait until the end of the year or so and then see if Vive is significantly more expensive than Rift and which has the better library. Because hardware-wise, they'll be roughly the same thing.
>>
>>323572724
>>323572871
You never tried one.
>>
>>323572263
>1 game
This irks me a bit, because it comes with 2 games. Not that it changes the point of the image though.
>>
>>323572642
Depends on a few factors, so nobody can say for sure right now.

1) The price is unknown, but if it's $700 or less I'd go for the Vive. Or, you know, wait.
2) The Vive isn't ready for release yet. The one they're been showing off at CES is still in development, so for now people say that while both are good, the Rift is a bit better.
>>
>>323562162
It's done nothing but fail for 5 decades.
>>
My rift arrived yesterday and I pretty much went insane and pulled an all-nighter of diving into the rift, about 5 straight hours from the evening into late midnight. Just couldn't stop. So, it's about 3 in the morning and I'm inside Titans of Space. Floating through the universe, with that relaxing music they have playing in the background, made me start to drift off into sleep. I rested my eyes and I fell asleep with the rift still attached to my face.
Hours and hours later, I finally woke up. My brain couldn't process shit; I just awoke sitting in a spaceship looking at Saturn and I didn't know what was going on. My body melted into the avatar in-game. I felt this weird feeling wash over me and everything in-game felt 10000x more real like a heightened reality. I felt like I could feel the cold space, or the heat of the sun, or the zero gravity lifting me up. My brain started to finally process and I began realizing I still had the rift attached to me and this was a game.
The feeling lasted for another minute or so until I began realizing everything. Even without that "feeling" the game still felt amazing because of how good the rift is, but for that brief moment of waking up in the rift, I could feel the actual reality of the virtual world.
>>
>YOU NEVER TRIED ONE
>YOU'RE POOR LMAO
Stellar.
Top notch stuff.
>>
>>323573067
Nope, I haven't because I don't care about it. If I have the opportunity to try one, I will, but I'm not going to blow hundreds of dollars on some gimmick that I have no interest in
>>
>>323573125
People say the Rift has slightly less SDE but still prefer the Vive because it offers so much more.
>>
>>323573217
What did you expect from a bunch of self hating rejects failing to see this as the next "wagglin'"
>>
>>323573210
Is this going to be copypasta now?
>>
>>323573125
>>323573014
Is much expected to be proprietary or too early to tell?

I'm nervous about Zhuckerberg being involved and steering away from games but at least he could money hat shit.
>>
>>323573217
In case of VR it's a totally valid argument because the sense of presence you get with it is not something you can easily explain or imagine.
>>
How does rift feel anyway? Is it actually like you are "in" the game. Or is it very obvious that you have a screen in front of your face and that it's like watching a tv glued to your face?
>>
>>323573210
New pasta has arrived.
>>
>>323573280
I'm not saying you should buy one before trying you dummylord.
>>
The root of the problem is that I have no place around me where I could try that thing out, and I'm not going to drop any money on it without testing first.
>>
File: CryingPepe.png (74KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
CryingPepe.png
74KB, 412x351px
>Tfw used to be a cute kid and smiled at everyone if you caught their face
>Tfw people always said nice things about your smile
>Tfw you grew up and no longer have a pretty smile
Suffering
>>
File: A_sunflower.jpg (109KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
A_sunflower.jpg
109KB, 768x1024px
>>323573067
>>323573210
Wow!
I can't speak for anyone else but you certainly have me, Michael, convinced. Is there some sort of Kickstarter™ I might be able to donate to to help this new, innovative technology hit the shelves at peek performance?
More importantly, can you inform me of the multiple rewards offered to consumers like myself?
>>
>>323573374
You can run whatever third party programs you want on Rift. They are funding a bunch of games that will be exclusively sold on their store, though.
>>
>>323573217
>dismissing something as a meme without trying it is a valid argument
literally only on /v/
>>
>>323573525
Just wait for it to release, it will pop up everywhere.
>>
>>323573420
I've not played a game with Rift, but the Gear VR video demo at Best Buy felt more like I was center stage at Cirque Du Soleil than like I had a phone strapped to my face. It didn't blow me away or anything, but I think there's potential there and I would love to try Rift or Vive.
>>
>>323573570
Just try one for free at an electronics store you fucking idiot. Who the fuck is telling you to pre-order right now?
>>
File: 1443725499065.jpg (73KB, 244x250px) Image search: [Google]
1443725499065.jpg
73KB, 244x250px
My girlfriend arrived yesterday and I pretty much went insane and pulled an all-nighter of nonstop sex, about 5 straight hours from the evening into late midnight. Just couldn't stop. So, it's about 3 in the morning and I'm inside her. Floating through the universe, with some relaxing music I had playing in the background, made me start to drift off into sleep. I rested my eyes and I fell asleep with my fave on her chest.
Hours and hours later, I finally woke up. My brain couldn't process shit; I just awoke between two ample breasts and I didn't know what was going on. My body melted into the flesh. I felt this weird feeling wash over me and everything in life felt 10000x more real like a heightened reality. I felt like I could feel the warmth of her body, or the softness of her skin, or the heavyness of her breast in my hand. My brain started to finally process and I began realizing I still had a girlfriend and this was reality.
The feeling lasted for another minute or so until I began realizing everything. Even without that "feeling" life still felt amazing because of how good my girlfriend is, but for that brief moment of waking up in her arms, I could feel the actual reality of the real world.
>>
>>323573374
Depends on what you mean. Developers have to implement support for the Rift and Vive separately, but it shouldn't be too difficulty after you've got one down to add more. Plus, engines like UE4 have native support.

As for the games, I would expect ones funded by Oculus to be exclusive (if not just time-exclusives, which is unlikely) but for most to be for all supported platforms. I don't know which games they're funded, but I don't think they're huge AAA games or anything too important.
>>
>>323573672
Interesting, I'm considering buying the gear VR. Seems comfy watching movies and trying out games on it.
>>
>>323573420
It's something that you can easily get lost and immersed in, but if you constantly remind yourself that you have a screen in front of your face, the effect will be lessened considerably.
>>
>>323573570
You're a few years late champ.
>>
Can you use your own head phones?
>>
>>323573836
>>323573805
Well, that settles it. I'm buying the samsung gear VR for my phone then oculus rift later at some point.
>>
All of these things serve a legitimate, unique function or are straight upgrades over their predecessors.

VR is neither of those things.

It's not going to be a thing that catches on when (if) it becomes cheap. It's something that costs a lot more to produce for a starter, plus people just don't care. Hell, I don't care. If I got it free would I try it? Once or twice maybe, but that's it.
>>
>>323573805
>>323573923
It was a little pixely, because you're essentially dividing your phone resolution in half, but unless you literally have to have 4k video to enjoy stuff, it's not a huge issue for 100 dollars.
>>
>>323567003
I fucking hope not
I dont want to put a goddamn box on my head
>>
File: gear-2.jpg (37KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
gear-2.jpg
37KB, 770x433px
Remember how people used to laugh that VR will just be strapping a phone screen to your face?

Well, that's what it LITERALLY is now.
>>
>>323573906
>Q: No doubt built-in headphones are good. But I wonder If using my own headphones (open back with wide soundstage) paired with my own DAC+AMP would influence in any negative way spatial 3D sound or any of the Audio SDK benefits?

>A: Most VR developers are tuning their audio for the including DAC+amp+driver system, and that is also what we optimize our Audio SDK around. You won't get the benefits of that if you use your own, but you can do it. The answer honestly depends on the coloring and soundstage of your exact setup, I can't give you a general answer on how well they will align.

So yes, you can take the headphones off and use your own, but they're designing the audio for their stuff.
>>
File: 1360857580156.jpg (339KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
1360857580156.jpg
339KB, 710x508px
My keyboard arrived yesterday and I pretty much went insane and pulled an all-nighter of shitposting on 4chan, about 5 straight hours from the evening into late midnight. Just couldn't stop. So, it's about 3 in the morning and I'm inside the VR thread. Shitposting through the thread, with that relaxing blue they have in the background, made me start to drift off into sleep. I rested my eyes and I fell asleep with the keyboard still under my fingers.
Hours and hours later, I finally woke up. My brain couldn't process shit; I just awoke sitting in a basement looking at 4chan and I didn't know what was going on. My body melted into the posts in the thread. I felt this weird feeling wash over me and everything in-thread felt 10000x more terrible like a heightened shitpost. I felt like I could feel the angry nerds, or the heat of their basements, or the horrid smell choking me. My brain started to finally process and I began realizing I still had the keyboard in my hands and this was 4chan.
The feeling lasted for another minute or so until I began realizing everything. Even without that "feeling" the thread still felt shit because of how good the keyboard is, but for that brief moment of waking up with the keyboard, I could feel the actual reality of the shitpost.
>>
>>323574026
Yeah it's quite cheap. And my S6 have really good quality so i figure i'll be good.
>>
File: img_0567.jpg (53KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
img_0567.jpg
53KB, 620x413px
>>323572610
Fair enough. I guess I can only be upset with myself for wanting more positive anons to chat about this tech with right here and now.

>>323572681
I really would like to imagine that's true, but I've talked to enough people (both on and off of 4chan) about VR to get the feeling the majority of the populace is waiting to be impressed if they aren't outright annoyed by the idea of what they see as more gimmicky garbage. Still, I appreciate your reassurance, anon.

>>323572724
That's fine, anon, and what you do with your money is entirely your business. I'm not interested in shilling for VR, so it doesn't impact me one way or the other. No, I've merely been trying to say that I wish I didn't feel so alone in being excited for this technology, since I really thought this was the sort of thing more people would be excited for alongside me. If you don't share that enthusiasm then I have no interest in trying to change your mind, and I appreciate the neutral, non-combative tone you used. Also, since it seems relevant, I never owned a Wii because I didn't like the idea of an entire console being based around motion controls, so I can understand where you're coming from, even if some part of me did want to buy one at one point simply because I adore railshooters and the Wiimote has some pretty good gun grips.
>>
>>323573708
Nigga you're dumb as shit, that's just being high on pheromones and chemical release because you were getting your rocks off. Stop seeking deeper meaning in the evolutionary equivalent of feeding your dick some food. You deserve whatever that woman does to you when she decides she's done with you.
>>
>>323574119
Thanks
>>
>>323568196

How the fuck can anyone legitimately argue that citing historical trends is a logical fallacy?

Are you thinking of "appeal to tradition"? Because that's not the same fucking thing at all, you stupid buttwipe.

10/10, I'm baited and mad.
>>
>>323574096
How is that a bad thing? That's the cheapest/most accessible version of VR. You're going to sell a lot more people on a headset that's just 99 bucks and works with the phone they already have than the 599 one requiring a beefier PC than what they have.
>>
>>323573953
A lot of people forget that VR isn't going to get cheaper in a bubble.

VR can't get cheaper and better without the technology that shares its display resources, like computer monitors, also getting cheaper and better.
>>
>>323561832
>wagglan shit and motion controls barely have any games for them
>thinking VR will be different
>>
>>323574367
Wagglan shit and motion controls have tons of games. The problem is they aren't games you would actually want to play.
>>
>>323567615
>>323567907

>le quantum computers are liek normal computers but much moar fastar

Hello popsci redditors
>>
>>323574171
It's just hard for simple-minded folk to be excited about something that needs to be experienced first-hand to understand.
>>
>>323574359
>VR can't get cheaper and better without the technology that shares its display resources, like computer monitors, also getting cheaper and better.
Good thing that's exactly what's been happening to phones for years now.
>>
>>323574359
VR will bring down the prices, not computer monitors (that are stagnated).
>>
>>323563397
They all made things more convenient, VR doesn't make anything more convenient
>>
>>323574437

That's what I meant. Granted VR is a notch above the other shit but I still don't see a grand future for it. Who is really going to develop good games for a gimmick device and a niche audience.
>>
>>323574119
Using your own headphones will probably make it more of a hassle to take the headset off. No idea how often you're going to want to do that, though.
>>
I remember this exact kind of hype back when consumer 3D was the big upcoming thing.

"Wow, it's amazing! Nothing will ever be the same! You have to see it to understand!". To the letter.

I've used the 3D function of my display about 2-3 times, the last one being 4 years ago.
>>
>>323574298
>How the fuck can anyone legitimately argue that citing historical trends is a logical fallacy?

I don't think you know what a logical fallacy is.

A logical fallacy means that you are trying to make an argument without using *direct* logic. Looking at the past may provide a good guide, but it doesn't provide an actual basis for an argument.

Just because you rolled a loaded die and got a six 99 times doesn't mean on the 100th time you'll get a six again, although it is probable. Arguing you'll get definitely six may be probable but not logical since loaded dies don't always deliver.
>>
>>323574631
That's a good point. "Motion controls", despite being the huge thing of last generation, went nowhere. If you don't count 'into the ground', of course.
>>
>>323572313
You are literally 12
>>
>>323574626
Television is not more "convenient" than radio, and neither are video games more than television. Both require you to commit more of your attention to them, and you're willing to do that because you get a more stimulating experience out of it.
>>
>>323572847

Absolutely could! It would be relatively easy to create a vinyl-sounding EQ setting. You'd need some compression, too.

>>323572868
You're a bit off. If you go to a reputable mastering studio, not a single one will tell you they can master for both CD and vinyl at the same time. Vinyl has limits, mostly on dynamic range. Because the sound wave is literally being drawn on a disk, that wave takes up space, and therefore vinyl mastering is an art, and ten different engineers will have ten different methods. It's pretty cool actually if you read about it. I'm certainly not an audio snob, I have a 200 dollar Panasonic table from the 70's that a friend's dad gave me and a 78' tecnics amp I got on craigslist for 75 bucks, into some 90's Sony floor-standing speakers. Nothing special, but this stuff still fascinates me.
>>
>>323571872
No. The oculus devs have said they have challenges getting it to work with mobile cards. Also in vr , fps drops will cause nausea , so you do need a powerful card to not get sick.
>>
>>323574773
Well it sort of has to do with the fact that Nintendo euthanized motion controls (pretty much for no reason since the Wii sold very well up to and including Christmas 2010 after which it stopped being the company's lead development platform). Sony's Move was a half-hearted rip-off and Kinect was only ever a fancy gimmick.
>>
>>323572967

Also no, I use the same amp/speakers for everything. PC, vinyl, TV, it's all hooked up in the same room.
>>
Wait. Are americans really smiling at random people on the streets? Why?
>>
>>323575410
Smiling is the default face configuration for Americans, just like frowning is the default where you live.
>>
>>323561832
>needs a beefy PC
>You have to wear shitty goggles to play games
It's not even real VR. If i get hit in the arm with a sword in a game im not going to feel it. If its snowing in the game i won't feel cold or if i sprint in the game i wont get tired. Fuck your shitty goggle "vr".
>>
>>323575410
I don't know, it's just kinda an ingrained thing, you walk by a stranger if they look at you, smile.
>>
>He fell for the VR meme
>>
File: Laughing-woman.jpg (120KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-woman.jpg
120KB, 425x282px
Wait are there seriously people who don't smile at others on the street? What are you, some kind of creep?
>>
>>323564306
I'm pretty sure it's white people being uncomfortable because of the heightened probability of black males being criminals based on incarceration rates.
>>
>>323572313
>console war meme
>millennials
Jesus Christ
>>
File: master of puppets.png (41KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
master of puppets.png
41KB, 800x566px
>>323561832
>shelling 599US DOLLARS on a 90's fad that didnt even took off.

Oyyyy Veeeeeeyyyyyy!
>>
>>323575490
you realize as a species that is 95%+ visual, we have to start with visuals and get those down-pat before we can even think about anything else, right?
>>
>>323575980
>95%+ visual
You just pulled that ridiculous figure out from deep, deep inside your asshole.
>>
>>323574740
>precedents are logical fallacies now
Good job with your example, no shit studying the past of a non-deterministic variable is useless to predict its evolution, fucking retard.
>>
>>323575980
why is it that none of you dweebs spend even a second thinking about audio in VR
I mean yeah, there's the saying that good audio design is supposed to not be consciously noticed, but this is ridiculous
>>
File: 150113093011253.jpg (85KB, 1188x1161px) Image search: [Google]
150113093011253.jpg
85KB, 1188x1161px
>>323575924
> shelling out £10 GBP on an 1810s fad that didn't even take off
I say!
>>
>>323575980
The problem is that there isn't even the faintest idea on how to do full-body physical feedback.
How would you simulate the feeling of sitting on a chair? Or walking up a flight of stairs? Or falling upside down? Or swimming?
There isn't a possible solution, unless you get matrix style stuff, but that's just absurd.
>>
>>323565805
>To be fair, isn't that what people have said about every change in technology since the beginning of time?

Yeah but most of the time they have been proven right, you dont see us driving nuclear cars now, do you?
>>
>>323562180
How?
>>
>>323577032
MERELY PRETENDING
>>
>>323576551
You can probably do some things with skintight suits and frickin robot arms, but yeah, haptics are a really hard problem and not going to be solved to anywhere near the standards for audiovisual VR anytime soon. And smell is probably even harder than that.
>>
File: zune_player_big.jpg (24KB, 425x246px) Image search: [Google]
zune_player_big.jpg
24KB, 425x246px
>>323576501
You're omittting the fact that moving pictures was already made popular by cinema by the time TV was developed.

>implying all technology was meant to be sucessful

Kaks were had.
>>
>>323576228
it's more "things that contradict me are logical fallacies" rather than precedents per se
>>
>>323577228
Zune "failed" because of stiff competition from other companies doing the exact same device.
>>
>>323577842
also being considerably inferior

just having a shit battery life could have been enough to completely rule it out
>>
>>323564220
>if you actually experienced VR

Holy shit, this VR shilling is unreal. Its like everyone who has tried VR has some form of higher understanding than anyone else and automatically makes their opinion correct even though it is still just an opinion. Because I am a "free" man able to buy and please myself with whatever I want with the money I EARNED I choose with my money to not support VR because my TV does just a good as job as such devices like occulus and is a much cheaper and room friendly environment. If I invited my friends over to watch a movie but all I had was 1 occulus and no TV(which is what VR is trying to replace) how will my friends watch it. TV and Video games promote social activities which cannot be achieved by something that costs $599. Which is a month of rent for well over half of america.
>>
>>323566225
VR was the point of Disclosure back in the early 90s. Some people thought it would be the next internet, back when CDs were new. VR is shit, son. What we need is holographic shit, or implants to see holographic shit superimposed over the real world. Entoptics, nigger.
>>
>>323578187
>occulus
Rambling opinion discarded.
For real though, VR is not going to replace TVs nor is it aiming to. And VR can be pretty social if the people you want to socialize with live in another state, country or continent.
>>
>>323577842
And VR will fail because well, it's already failed in the past.

>in before the aircraft example

People just didnt know how to pull it off, VR holds no secret; it's a zombie from the 90's and should go back there along with the Lawnmower Man .
>>
>>323578187
VR < holographic tv.

Rent is more than $600 in the cities though. My rent is $1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment and that is cause I've been living in the same place for 13 years. I remember rent being $1100 for a 1 bedroom apartment in Anaheim (Disneyland a mile off) in 2002 and a little over $600 for the same type of apartment in a bad neighborhood of a shittier city 5 years earlier (1997). $600 is standard for renting a room nowadays.
>>
The reason VR is going to remain niche is because it doesn't replace any current technology. People bought HD TVs and the like because they were a straight upgrade yet VR isn't distinct enough that it's just another way to experience media.
>>
>>323578614
>And VR will fail because well, it's already failed in the past.

explain then the existence of Apple whose products are almost all something that failed some years prior
>>
>>323578936
>My rent is $1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment and that is cause I've been living in the same place for 13 years

are you living in some 5 star residence or what
>>
Much like the PS4 pushed blu-ray into mainstream, VR porn will push VR headsets into the mainstream.

Video games becoming VR-optimized will just be a nice side effect for us all. You can thank the jizz-junkie dopamine-addicted masses who can't stop touching themselves on a daily basis for needing this "next level of love" so bad that they're plunking down hundreds.
>>
>>323579114
So are you saying that the iGoggles will be VR's big breakthrough?
>>
>>323563762
>If I mount a camera on top of a regular computer monitor it'll track my head movement too.
If you look away from the screen you wont be able to see it so it won't matter. The screen also doesn't fill your vision when you are looking at it
>>
File: macphone5.jpg (26KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
macphone5.jpg
26KB, 500x380px
>>323579114
Technology just wasn't there yet.
>>
>>323579274
i'm saying "it has failed before" as proff of something never getting big ever has been factually proven wrong multiple times, not only in technology
>>
Everyone here shitting on current VR saying its another gimmick, or all its done is fail for the past 40 years clearly havent actually messed with the technology

The tech is finally here to back up the concept, it works great

im not saying its going to revolutionize the entire world overnight, but its definitely going to gain a shit load of popularity across a wide audience
>>
File: VR wall.png (2MB, 1280x1840px) Image search: [Google]
VR wall.png
2MB, 1280x1840px
>>323578614
VR failed as a consumer product before simply because the technology sucked and was too expensive, it didn't give you a sense of presence like the current gen does.
>>
>>323561832
>google glass
>>
File: 1451951826428.jpg (27KB, 551x551px) Image search: [Google]
1451951826428.jpg
27KB, 551x551px
>>323578187
>I know about things I never used just as well as people who own these things!
>>
>>323573205
Yeah, because the tech literally wasn't there. Now it's here.
>>
>>323576682
>How?
I assume you mean 'Why?'
Stupid piece of shit
>>
>>323580008
"Why" is a meme question. All it really means is "tell me more about this". That's why you should never teach the word to small children.
>>
>>323579635
>Yeah, because the tech literally wasn't there. Now it's here.

How do you know VR failed because of the technology?

Maybe people just didn't want it.
>>
>>323580197
>That's why you should never teach the word to small children.
Why?
>>
>>323580271
Exactly.
>>
>>323580218
They will want it once word spreads and they try it out which is literally how any new product works.
>>
>>323580197
How is asking the way
Why is asking the reason

Stay memed,
Anon
>>
>>323580370
>They will want it once word spreads and they try it out

So they have to try it out before they want it? That'll be an incredibly slow rate of adoption then.
>>
>>323579231

I don't know where you live but I'm in a pretty small city <100k residents and a downtown 2 bedroom apartment is 1050 before internet and shit.
>>
>>323580485
Name a single new device that offers a unique experience that people wanted straight away without trying or hearing experiences.
>>
>>323580218
Because it was a 1X1 inch screen running games that look like StarFox at 30FPS
>>
>>323580008
Is "How will Vive be the only good VR?" not a question? Dipshit
>>
>>323580793
Room scale and comes with 1:1 controllers.
>>
>>323561832
Haven't been on /v/ for awhile because of all the new forms of cancer cropping up
>over the top nintendo shilling
>streamer cancer
>speed runs becoming a big deal
etc.

I seriously cannot believe that there are people actually retarded enough to think that a $600 price point is prohibitive for a new and highly anticipated technology. Are you people all on neetbux such that you cannot grasp economics anymore?
>inb4 hurr vr has been tried before
This board has gotten significantly worse and is apparently too semen slurping for me
>>
>>323566858
>>323566858
>Name one movie that's impossible to watch wtihout color
Hero, and probably any wuxia film.
Inside out, never seen it but looks pretty colour dependant.

And of course, you are being a shithead, but here is a more reasonable response, at wich you will have several answers.

>Name one VIDEOGAME that's impossible to play without 3d.
>Name one VIDEOGAME that's impossible to play to without CD
>Name one VIDEOGAME that's impossible to play without dvd
>Name one VIDEOGAME that's impossible to play wtihout color
>Name one VIDEOGAME that's impossible to play without a TV
>>
>>323580619
Nintendo Wii

don't tell me all 100 million people tried it before they bought it

>>323580713
That would have been mindblowing by early 90s standards.
>>
>>323580218
john carmack has talked extensively as to why this was the case, and this was before he was heavily invested yet
>>
>>323580793
It's "Why is Vive the only good VR?"
I bet you're American, how about you admit you're wrong, or could you 'care less'
>>
>>323580996
Wii was just a new console by a established company that happened to have a novel kind of control that was very easy to convey with simple video ads.
VR is not easy to understand without trying it first.
>>
>>323581364
>VR is not easy to understand without trying it first.

Which is a pretty big problem...
>>
>>323571157
When I saw that episode, I didn't have one, nor knew any kid in my school that had one.
You made me remember simpler times anon. Thanks.
>>
>>323581487
That's why Oculus and HTC are relying on demoing it everywhere and word-of-mouth.
>>
>>323581197
But both of them are proper questions. Is English your second language?
>>
>>323565426
A fairer comparison would be plays to movies seeing as from a narrative structure point of view those are more simple
>>
>>323561832
>DVD
You could get a fucking DVD Player for 60 bucks back when it got released, even the damn DVD-R drives where 20 bucks.

Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>323579114
explain then the existence Apple products that failed and never returned
>>
>>323581925
Stop lying you fucking millennial retard, prices for the first players in 1997 were $1000 and up.
>>
>>323581782
Why: 'for what reasons is it better?'
How: 'in what way is it possible for it to be better?

If you think how is a worthy question then maybe you should get back to your 2016 meme elections
>>
>Nintendo did VR 50 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA.

I had a go at some game convention it was 6/10 ok experience, when you tag on $600 burgers it becomes pointless.
>>
>>323582087
Which set did you try?
Also which game?
>>
>>323582189

Your favourite game on the most respected VR machine.
>>
>>323561832
It's just VR right now is shit give it 5 years to develop further. Otherwise your wasting your money.
>>
>>323579231
I don't live in bumfuck nowhere where gas is $1/gallon, I live in orange county, california. Not even downtown, either. Do you live in mexico or something? My brother pays $200 rent on a 1-bedroom in tijuana, downtown.
>>
I'm just gonna buy both and I'll give you guys an unbiased comparison once they've both released. I'm against tripcoding so when that comparison comes I'll use the code word "FISH" somewhere in my post to let you guys know it's me and not some marketer trying to trick you all.

Stay tuned.
>>
>>323582085
That answers my question, thanks!
>>
>>323582604
Who cares, there will be hundreds of comparisons by more apt people.
>>
>>323561832
The current "VR" is not a new technology in any way
>>
>>323582535
>bumfuck nowhere where gas is $1/gallon
Non-American here. Is that much or little by your standards?
>>
>>323582736
Mine will be the true honest truth and definitely worth the 10 - 20 minutes it'll take to read.
>>
>>323582773
You are right, it uses and refines technology popularized mostly by smartphones.
While the concepts are nothing new they still had to research and develop their own variants of screens and tracking methods.
>>
>>323582631
You may as well asked 'where'
Fucking memerica
>>
>>323582967
It's also retarded to think that something is less worthwhile because it didn't invent a new kind of magic crystal to power the new thing it does.
>>
>Oculus $599
>Gear VR $99 + $500 phone

Seems fair. We all already have $800 PCs anyways whereas many of don't have a samsung phone.
>>
File: jesus.jpg (23KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
23KB, 184x184px
>>323575769
>mfw a stranger smiles at me on the street
>>
>>323583648
About 1% of steam users have computers powerful enough to match Oculus' recommended specs.
>>
>>323561832
>all of those things are convenient
>VR is very inconvenient
it will never succeed in its current form
The reason why nobody will try it is because its too much effort.
>>
>>323580485
40 years ago this is exactly what people said about home computers. Do you even understand how technology works?
>>
>>323583850
I'd like to see that number when you filter out anyone not living in third world countries and anyone who has never played anything aside from free to play games on steam.
>>
>>323581925
$60 for a shitty player in 2005. You don't know shit.
>>
>>323583937
How is putting on a headset too much effort?
If you are talking about physical exertion from room scale then I should remind you that DDR used to be super popular and sports used to be a real thing that most people used to do.
>>
>>323582795
That's a third of the cost of a gallon at a regular city (or metropolitan area).
>>
File: PS4 VR.jpg (68KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
PS4 VR.jpg
68KB, 640x427px
>>323580996
>Nintendo Wii. don't tell me all 100 million people tried it before they bought it

Nintendo Wii was affordable, was incredibly simple to set up and motion control by itself was intuitive and very easy to understand, you don't need a helmet. It was easier for someone to play games with motion control than with a regular controller, its fun in a group/family setting and Wii Sports was the perfect title to showcase it with.

VR is the exact opposite. It's expensive, it isn't easy to set up, it isn't easy to understand or even set it up.(Most people here don't understand just how powerful a computer they'll need to run it, what chance does random Grandma have?) and there isn't a single piece of software that is a compelling "must have" for VR unless you think playing Summer Lesson while your family watch on the TV is the next Wii Sports.

I think VR will have a lot more use outside gaming than inside. In its current state it just isn't suitable/ready for gaming.
>>
What if VR became the new arcades? Arcade machines were popular because it wasn't feasible to play games at home because of the size and price needed. They remained popular after consoles because consoles were so underpowered, they could only play a simplified port of the arcade machine game. Instead of buying a $600 VR, what if they adopted the arcade model and let people pay for time, while adding to the social experience?
>>
>>323580987
>implying those are IMPOSSIBLE to watch without color
>implying VR can only be used for video games
What a fucking idiot you are
>>
File: 250px-Brock.png (89KB, 250x207px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Brock.png
89KB, 250x207px
>>323579635
>Yeah, because the tech literally wasn't there. Now it's here.
Well it cost less than $2,000 now.
That's something.
>>
File: 1321231.jpg (148KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1321231.jpg
148KB, 375x500px
>>323585936
VR in arcades always existed since the 90's.
The breakthrough here is making a portable and affordable home device that isn't complete shit.
>>
File: 140999207111235.png (166KB, 1085x1046px) Image search: [Google]
140999207111235.png
166KB, 1085x1046px
>>323584127
You could get a DVD player for $40 in 2002
>>
>>323586416
DVD players were released in 1997 at $1000+, not 2002.
You only proved that tech DOES decrease in price.
>>
Things that retards think are facts
>if you have tried VR you can't NOT love it
>if you have Bloodborne you can't NOT love it
>if you don't like either you're lying about having tried them
>>
File: 1438325827561.png (752KB, 561x585px) Image search: [Google]
1438325827561.png
752KB, 561x585px
>>323561832
>The best we can do for tactile feedback is vibrators in a chestpeice.
>>
>>323586886
>my opinion on a novel type of experience is completely valid even if I never tried it
>>
File: Link_FA18_Australia_2.jpg (2MB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
Link_FA18_Australia_2.jpg
2MB, 4288x2848px
>>323567087
Assuming you're using a closed in area with good audio or headphones, you wind up with two of your most prominent sensory inputs taken over by the machine. Pic related is enough to completely throw you off balance, and you can see where the screens start/end.
>>
>>323587218
>if you have tried VR you can't NOT love it
>>
File: 09789353897.jpg (30KB, 503x434px) Image search: [Google]
09789353897.jpg
30KB, 503x434px
What are game ideas you want to see implemented with VR?
I would love a Time Crisis game where I take cover by ducking
>>
>>323587538
Porn
>>
>>323587489
Sure you can not love it, but you shouldn't decide whether you love it or not without trying it first like all the retards are doing in this thread.
>>
File: spelunking1[1].jpg (540KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
spelunking1[1].jpg
540KB, 1600x1200px
>>323587538
Spelunking game.
>>
File: maxresdefault[5].jpg (167KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[5].jpg
167KB, 1920x1080px
>>323587538
Surgery Simulator From the patient's POV
>>
>>323586781
Some components drop in price faster than others because different technologies advances at different rates. Processing technologies advance a lot faster than display technologies.

The reason DVD dropped in price so much over the years was only because MPEG-2 decoding processors eventually could be fabbed smaller and cheaper.
>>
>>323587806
Have you tried taking a dick up your ass?
>>
>>323588206
Have you?
>>
File: shit.jpg (84KB, 802x437px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
84KB, 802x437px
>>323587806
>you shouldn't decide whether you love it or not without trying it first
>>
Nothing like a VR thread to let you laugh at a bunch of NEETs with no idea about economics arguing amongst themselves about things they'll never understand
>>
>>323588326
That would be a valid comparison if demoing it somewhere actually costed money.
>>
>>323561832
I like VR simply because a small step forward in tech is still a step forward. I want a holo deck and anything that takes us 1 inch closer to that dream is good.

>>323564203
>not reserving your best smiles for fellow white people
>not giving negros grudging "im disgusted that you're allowed to breathe the same air as me but I'll pretend to be friendly" smiles
What are you even doing? Are you sure you're white? This is instinctual stuff m8.
>>
>>323588486
Enlighten us with your infinite economics wisdom.
>>
>>323588608
Why? I just come here for the laughs.
>>
>>323563762
Whats a vr shill?
>>
>>323561832
>mfw i smile like this

why do we do this bros
>>
>VR is not a social experience hurr durr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jDo-NnyaY
>>
>>323588956
you're racist
>>
>>323565639
But it didn't need a facebook account to use
>>
>>323589005
get that meme game outta my face and find me some oculus social footage instead
>>
>>323576551
>but that's just absurd.
Fuck you, I want to believe.
>>
Reminder that "VR" is a buzzword for 3D screens taped onto your face with sound and head-tracking.
>>
>>323561832
still use my GearVR and only got it for $100.
>>
>>323589337
What do you use it for?
>>
>>323589582
memes
>>
>>323589582
streaming 3d games from my pc and watching vporn
>>
>>323587239
Well out of us two I've actually flown an fa18 sim, similar to the one in the pic. Half a globe screen. It really wasn't that immersive experience ten years ago.
>>
>>323567365
>What kinda casual doesn't play flightsims

The kind of a guy who flies for a living. I don't even have fsx anymore.
>>
People who don't try VR ASAP are better off either way. It's a win-win situation. Either the whole thing turns out to be a fad and you've just wasted $600 on it or it becomes like those items, dramatically reduces in price and you still lose a lot of money and have nothing to show for it except showing off that you were ahead of the curve.
>>
>>323567537

Ok, how are you gonna physically flip the switches? If you're not building a cockpit mockup. In vr with a tracked controller? That's gonna be really slow and I'm guessing not precise enough.
>>
>>323590337
The controllers have haptic feedback.
>>
>>323590337
Might actually work for something more arcadey.
>>
>>323590337
What do you mean by slow and not precise?
Both the Vive and Rift controllers are precise and almost instantaneous.
>>
File: 566[1].png (26KB, 590x600px) Image search: [Google]
566[1].png
26KB, 590x600px
>>323589740
Well out of us two, I've actually flown one of the newer f18 sims within the past 5 years, similar to the one in the pic. The screen completely surrounds you like pic related, with one screen that acts as the door.

It's not uncommon for the new trainees to fall over or take a minute or two to adjust to the base airfield view before starting up. I was off balance for my first 30 seconds in after they closed the door.
>>
>>323591501
Ever seen a cockpit? With many switches, you need a tactile feel to find the right one. You know, they've been designed to differ. You don't get that sort of a feedback as of yet. And there can be hundreds of circuit breakers right next to each other, it's hard to press or pull the right one without resting one's hand on the frame.

These things are partly why that anon said people have been building cockpits in their garages, and why I said that it can't yet replace those setups.

I know that tracked controllers are in best cases sub-mm accurate this generation. But they can't replace everything for now.
>>
>>323590280
So the Nash equilibrium is that no one adapts and it never takes off. I wonder if game theory has a any solutions to this exact dilemma.
>>
>>323585936
HTC's business plan is to sell Vive's to cybercafe's in China. That's where they're expecting a huge part of their market to be.
>>
>>323588594
You realize many black-on-white crimes on the street are prompted by dumbasses being shit to negroes, right? You're talking shit and you get robbed cause you talked shit. Doesn't need actual talking, mind you. Even walking accross the street is enough to get a thug to rob your ass. Treat others as you would treat yourself and you'll be fine. You sound like a feminist who tells a random male not to rape them, thus making the male want to fuck the bitch up just on principle. Goddam suburbanites are such pussies and idiots, you deserve to be robbed in the hood. L

Not even black either, just live in a high-crime area. Respect and not talking shit can save your life. Also, if you have a gun you're just asking to be shot or killed. Again, that's just principle. Be a man and stab a bitch, even a baby can kill with a gun.
>>
>>323592541
>>It's not uncommon for the new trainees to fall over or take a minute or two to adjust to the base airfield view before starting up. I was off balance for my first 30 seconds in after they closed the door.

Partly likely because of getting blasted with new information on a level they're not witnessed before and pressures from teacher monitoring everything a trainee does. Not only because of the simulation being so immersive, but the situation being stressfull, too.

With Rift/Vive, I'm expecting different level of immersion which I've never witnessed in simulators before.
>>
>>323593325
>Be a man and stab a bitch, even a baby can kill with a gun.

Is it summer already? Feels like the teens are here shitposting on a holiday break.
>>
>>323593963
>carrying a knife is more edgy than a gun

Right, I'm the underage here.
>>
>>323594216
It literally is.
>>
VR won't become mainstream until Apple does it,calling it now. Tablets were available for almost over a decade before the ipad came out and now look,everyone's trying to play catch up.
I'm telling you once apple releases iVR it's gonna take off. until then it'll be a steep climb
>>
>>323594216
>knife
>not edgy
>>
>>323594746
Apple was never relevant in gaming and never will be.
>>
>>323594785
that was a nice stab, laughed
>>
File: 1338841224405.gif (2MB, 290x260px) Image search: [Google]
1338841224405.gif
2MB, 290x260px
These shills are fucking hilarious.
VR is dead on arrival.
>>
>>323561832
nigger please. new technologies will ALWAYS be expensive at their initial development. Just wait some time till they make more efficient production and the prizes will lower by itself.
And also i don't get why you say that those technologies were "killed" if they are in use these days.. just give it some time.
>>
Wasn't the OR significantly downgraded from the dev kits?
>>
>>323594901
yeah but for VR to become a thing it's gonna need to be applicable to more things than gaming.
a few devices might come out in the next few years but without a solid brand to carry them I don't think they'll fly.
I mean now that I think about it PSVR and windows hololens could have a chance, and honestly I hope they do because the technology seems pretty interesting to me.
>>
>>323594901
I remember playing Otto Matic in junior high because out school's Macs were bundled with them game. Best part of that year by far.
>>
>>323595174
This VR isn't a new technology you fucking sheep.
>>
>>323595293
CV1 is far superior to DK2.
>>
>>323595293
It was significantly upgraded.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA1ADXe8u2E

Reminder that this is the future and you fucking lucky to be alive in this era.
>>
File: 1434407784153.png (147KB, 293x380px) Image search: [Google]
1434407784153.png
147KB, 293x380px
>>323595460
>Blurry as fuck
>significantly upgraded
>>
>>323595634
There is no VR headset less blurry than the CV1.
>>
3D is totally going to take off this time guys! Totally going to work!

VR is a gimmick that won't work until we're all dead.
>>
>>323562180
They're both the same 110 degree FOV garbage. Only shit like starvr has potential.
>>
>>323595807
?
VR is not simply 3D.
>>
Why oculus didn't win any awards at CES? If they made their product better than anything and this was the first CES their CV1 has seen, shouldn't have it won prizes?
>>
>>323589281
buzzword is a buzzword
>>
>>323595982
Vive stole the show.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-11-15-49-50.png (200KB, 600x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-11-15-49-50.png
200KB, 600x1024px
Whenever I see antiVR shills I just look at this picture and laugh
>>
File: 1450960688251.jpg (22KB, 204x345px) Image search: [Google]
1450960688251.jpg
22KB, 204x345px
>>323595807
I want to make a screenshot compilation of all the retards who are saying VR won't/will take off but I honestly don't know which side is going to win
>>
>>323596348
Make a pic for each side you dummy.

I will help you:
VR will be the NEXT BIG THING
>>
>>323593325
>Not even black
Yep definatly black fuck off any time coon
>>
>>323583214
Shouldnt you be watching your girlfriend be ravaged by filthy sandniggers euroturd?
>>
File: Gyro.png (134KB, 415x390px) Image search: [Google]
Gyro.png
134KB, 415x390px
>>323576556
Except nuclear cars were never a product, save for maybe testing purposes (for all I know). That wasn't really relevant. The line I used was very specific.
It's what people often said AFTER the introduction of new technology, not "Oh man wouldn't it be cool if we had flying cars?"
>>
>>323596348
>I honestly don't know which side is going to win

Anime fags lose every time
Thread posts: 508
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.