[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What will the 25th Anniversary Sonic game have to do in order

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

File: 25thanniv.jpg (178KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
25thanniv.jpg
178KB, 1280x720px
What will the 25th Anniversary Sonic game have to do in order to not suck?

Inb4 Sonic 5/Sonic Adventure 3
>>
>>323316802
Level design that actually has some fucking thought put into it.

Not 'PRESS X 2 DASH 2 THE FINISH'

No annoying side characters.

Non-retarded story.

Decent length.

Some kind of innovation so it isn't like all the other shitty 3D Sonic games they've made.

A game that isn't stuck in beta by the time it's released.

Some to actually make it STAND OUT. Every other Sonic game since Adventure 2 has either been 'meh' or dreadful.
>>
>>323317549
>Not 'PRESS X 2 DASH 2 THE FINISH'
I feel like this is a little overstated sometimes, even in Unleashed, the flagship game of the so-called 'boost to win' saga, the levels can actually be quite difficult past the first two or three daytime stages
>>
sonic fast levels
tails babysitter levels
knuckles bodybuilding boxing levels
shadow dark souls style levels
amy chao garden levels
rouge photo mode levels, something like pokemon snap
multiplayer based on power stone
sonic is saved
>>
>sonic only again (variations are fine, classic sonic, werehog sonic etc)
>boost gameplay, scrap whatever trash they used for lost world
>new areas, no more nostalgia pandering garbage
>fire the current writers, bring back whoever wrote unleashed

And there we have a 10/10 game
>>
>>323319936
this is b8 right
>>
File: TropicalCoast2.jpg (223KB, 1240x698px) Image search: [Google]
TropicalCoast2.jpg
223KB, 1240x698px
>>323320208
>boost gameplay, scrap whatever trash they used for lost world
I'd be quite interested in them taking the boost gameplay and keeping it pretty much the same but having it play out on the kind of "tube worlds" that Sonic Lost World had quite a few of. Although Lost World had billions of problems of its own, setting a 3D Sonic game on a tube-like stage does remove the issue of having to fence the level off with either invisible walls aplenty, or making the level a pathway suspended over a death pit.
>>
>>323321342
Please god no

The only fun parts of lost world were the rail grinding levels. Everything else about it sucked ass compared to unleashed and generations.
>>
>>323321564
>Please god no
Why not? They don't have to be as badly designed as the ones in Lost World were. It's a simple fact that conceptually, tubular worlds fixes/removes one of the big problems of 3D Sonic
>>
>>323316802
Just make a game just like Sonic Generation modern sonic levels, but let me play as other characters, too. Make them like they were in Sonic 3.
>everyone can into running fast
but, give them abilities only they have or whatever
>Sonic can homing attack
>Tails can fly
>Knuckles can punch and glide
Etc.
Also, LET ME PLAY AS MIGHTY ALREADY, SEGA!
>>
>>323322119
Because those levels were terrible, the camera was annoying, and boost sonic would finish each segment in 10 seconds

What you call a "problem" I love. Fuck your shitty open world trash that you faggots try to push on everyone else
>>
>>323322391
>Fuck your shitty open world trash
buzzwords ahoy, nobody said anything about an open world here
>>
>>323317549
>No annoying side characters
I could use some spice in my Sonic games again. Sonic and Tails are getting stale.
>>
Fluid 2D animation, akin to Rayman Origins.
Vibrant worlds, inventive levels, and a lot of fanservice.
NO VOICE ACTING EXCEPT EGGMAN
>>
>>323320208
>Only Sonic
>Boost gameplay
I think I just bit the bait
>>
>>323323117
Those shitty tube levels are open and just littered with random objects, leaving the game unsure if it wants to be fast with platforming thrown in or platforming with fast thrown in

Unleashed and generations picked the perfect formula and thats as good as hes getting for 3D games. Anything else is trash now
>>
>>323317549
Playing nothing but Sonic gets boring at least use the classic characters Tails, Knuckles, Amy. Shadow and others can be Skins.
>>
>>323323502
I reccomend suicide
>>
Ditch the boost gameplay, ditch the color powerups, and ditch the multiple play styles. Focus on making a solid momentum-based platformer where speed is a reward for skillful play. Make the levels large with tons of alternate routes and plenty of secrets. Other playable characters are find but make them play mostly the same with minor differences between them. No gimmicks, focus on polishing up the game and designing good levels.
>>
>>323323603
Boost is hardly the perfect formula. It's the lazy formula. There's no reason Sonic can't work with larger, more open levels but instead Sonic Team took the easy way out with mindless roller-coaster levels that only appeal to kiddies that grew up with them.
>>
I'd be up for them doing the boost gameplay again, but only if they pull out all the stops for it and embrace the boost style. Unleashed-style gameplay, after all, is basically a platform game meets a racing game. Why not play that to its full potential? I'm talking
>10+ zones with 2 acts each, standard boost gameplay but with way more 3D sections than 2D
>at least 6 different characters, but they all have boost gameplay - they simply have different top speeds, handling, accel etc.
>a 2P race mode a la Sonic Adventure 2
>ghost replays, staff ghosts, online leaderboards and so on
>An unlockable mode that plays like Outrun, in which you have to reach checkpoints to replenish your timer, with branching paths into different environments
>An unlockable mode in which they use the quick step mechanic to make a kind-of infinite runner, like Sonic Dash meets the Unleashed engine

And then, for the sake of fanwank, throw in Sonic 2 style Special Stages and a Chao Garden.
>>
>>323324173
kek, the boost levels are the largest levels in sonic history. Jungle joyride day is probably as big as 70% of sonic 2 taped together. Open worlds and level designs are utter shit unless your game is gta or some shovelware wrpg. 3D Sonic has always been a roller coaster type of experience and the boost only puts that in the spotlight

Its the best and first time 3D Sonic looked good, played good, and displayed speeds never before seen in sonic (maybe even a game)
>>
>>323324687
Fuck dude, if they actually did that it would be GOAT forever, so it'll never happen, sadly.
>>
>>323324687
Excellent taste and ideas, the outrun and infinite runner ideas are perfect since he has the drift, slide, and quick step in his arsenal
>>
>>323324697
Boost levels are the longest hallways in Sonic history, I'll give you that. Nobody is asking for an open world Sonic game though, so I don't know why you keep bringing that up. You can have well-designed levels that are more open than the railroaded garbage that the Boost games peddle. And yes, 3D Sonic has always had some roller-coaster aspects to it, but only in the boost games did that become the ONLY aspect presented. And just because 3D Sonic has done that in the past doesn't mean the series shouldn't do better.

Also I realize you weren't even conceived back when they released but the Adventure games played just as well as the boost games and actually had more variety in the Sonic stages alone than the runaway train bullshit in the boost games.
>>
>>323325751
In defense of the Boost games, Generations actually wasn't that bad in regards to Corridor Syndrome. I certainly remember the Dreamcast Era stages to be quite open, with quite a few different paths. Taking the kind of level layouts that City Escape/Seaside Hill had and adding more routes on top of that (and less 2D segments) would be just the tweak the boost gameplay needs.

Boost gameplay isn't fundamentally flawed, it was only just hitting its stride when Iizuka decided that the Sonic franchise hadn't fucked up enough recently and gave Lost World/Boom the thumbs-up
>>
>>323316802
since you guys are so thirsty for information, i'll let you in on some info. i haven't play tested the game but have.. connections you could say. all i can say for now though is that the game will mesh adventure elements with classic elements. by that i mean gameplay will be mostly 3d, but with a more classical control scheme and class badniks. tails and knuckles will be in it too but i don't know if they are playable yet. no word on amy or anyone else.
>>
dont make a sonic Adventure 3 and itll be fine
>>
>>323326550
classic badniks. fuck me i can't spell.
>>
>>323326203
I agree that it's not the core gameplay that was the problem. The level designs were the biggest culprit. And yes, Generations did do a better job with them. If they ditched the 2D stuff altogether, made levels have more routes and optional paths, and added a few more platforming bits to it, they'd have a great formula.
>>
>>323326550
Hi dad!
>>
>>323326742
understandable if you don't believe me but sega is gearing for a mid april announcement. expect a teaser in march.
>>
>>323325751
So please tell me what expanding the hallways a few more feet will do. Because the adventure games are just that, linear games with wider paths and the same amount of railroading. The best levels in the game, like windy valley or green forest were extremely linear but who cares because they were fun to both play and watch (as an experience type of thing). The levels that strayed away from this, such as garbage like lost world or pyramid cave, were hated because of the shit pacing and constant braking.

Every level in unleashed and generations have MUCH more variety than anything in adventure as well play better. Sorry your nostalgia with your gamecube, where you first heard of sonic, is clouding your retarded brain
>>
>>323326550
>>323326995
There's been literally dozens of you people recently. What is it about Sonic in particular that attracts these kinds of "my uncle works at Nintendo/Sega/Burger King" faggots?
>>
>>323326995
do u work for nintendo too

do u know my dad michael? he wears a red cap to work a lot
>>
>>323324697
I don't think you realise how short a game with the boost gameplay and only 20 levels would be. That's the reason they added the werehog in Generations.
>>
>>323327497
maybe it's because my cousin actually works at sega?

>>323327543
nope, i sadly work at walmart and yes it's as bad as they say
>>
>>323327148
Nice projecting. I grew up with the Genesis Sonics and played every 3D game at launch (except Boom). The fact that you don't like the) Adventure's Lost World stage for having actual platforming, and only care about "SPEED SPEED SPEED", outs you as the underage dipshit that you are. Catering to faggots like is exactly why the series has become a style over substance mess.
>>
>>323327784
Replayability is more important than length for a Sonic game IMO. The Genesis games can be beaten in under an hour but they were worth every penny and had tons of replay value. Though I wouldn't want another boost game regardless.
>>
>>323326995
Sega always announces or teases sonic in march/april, youre stating the obvious

>>323327784
You mean unleashed. We all saw how short it would be without something like the werehog in generations. All the classic and modern levels combined take maybe 40 minutes and you can beat the game in like 3 or 4 hours. But thats the price you pay when everyone says no to alternate gameplay that makes the game longer

>>323328010
Sounds like youre the one projecting kid if you keep crying underage. I was born in 90 and started video games with sonic 1. The only good platforming in lost world is the dark room with the lights where you have to keep hopping across the platforms. Everything else is nothing but collision problems with the fire tunnel at the start, the water snake, and the anti gravity sections. The best parts besides that one good platforming section are the boulder scene and the one loop at the end.

Speed is sonics gimmick and it wasnt until 2008 where they made a game that was fully focused on speed. Fucking crippled retards with shit reflexes who play mario garbage are the only ones that complain about unleashed and boost games. Maybe youre in the wrong series if speed triggers you
>>
File: poleece.jpg (90KB, 550x700px) Image search: [Google]
poleece.jpg
90KB, 550x700px
It'd be neat to see the Boost style gameplay but with a classic aesthetic

Some people would call it nostalgiafaggotry and/or autism but in my opinion the classic characters are literally just designed better.
>>
>>323317549
>no annoying side characters

Fuck off. I'm sick of just playing as sonic lately.

What they need to do is of his friends are going to be playable, they need to be as fast as sonic, but still keeping their personal gimmicks.
>>
>>323323746
>Knuckles
Okay
>Tails
Okay

>Amy
>Shadow
Not okay
>>
File: 1450994465863.jpg (50KB, 640x578px) Image search: [Google]
1450994465863.jpg
50KB, 640x578px
Make a good 3D Sonic that focuses on momentum based speed and good platforming, and lots of rolling hills/slopes that accompany the spin dash so Sonic can roll around and speed through levels.

Figure out a good engine that does all that and stop fucking changing shit up so much, Sonic hasn't had a truly good game in a long time because SEGA keeps reinventing the wheel instead of sticking to what's working for them.

Colors was good, Generations was good, but then Lost World threw all that away for whatever reason and then they rebooted with Sonic Boom.

I'll never understand why SEGA keeps fucking up Sonic, everyone wants to love the series and the character, but SEGA keeps giving us reasons to do the exact opposite.
>>
>>323329532
>>323329532
>>323329532
>hurr im a contrarian fag and hate sonic cd
>>
>>323329078
Speed was always Sonic's gimmick but it used to come from skill. Now it comes with the push of a button. The boost games dumbed down the series to a ridiculous degree and stand for everything that's wrong with the franchise right now. You can enjoy your casual garbage all you want but that's not going to keep those of us who know better from pointing out the truth.
>>
>>323317549
I liked the dash gameplay. Generations played really nice. All they need to do is fix their goddamn sonic engine so people don't abuse it anymore

Lost world was just mario galaxy with x2 the speed. Boring. I wanna go fast when i play sonic.
>>
What if, instead of having a boost meter, the game literally just used your ring count? I think that'd make the boost gameplay a whole lot more interesting. You'd have to keep a closer eye on how much you boost, lest you deplete your ring meter and end up getting yourself killed. It'd also make getting hurt more of a punishment, as you'd lose your boosts too
>>
>>323329842
No, I just think Shadow is only apealing to angsty teens and Amy is best when she shuts her fucking mouth and does nothing
>>
CHAO GARDEN
>>
>>323329518
I'd be okay with this except for the "as fast as Sonic" part. If the characters are getting their own gimmicks then they should be a bit slower, otherwise why ever pick Sonic in the first place? The only character who should be as fast as him is maybe Shadow.
>>
Have the game start out where you have to lead Sonic to a concrete wall. You then ask him if he wants a cigarette and blindfold. Game then cuts to you pulling the trigger and ending his misery.

"Game over yeaaahhhhhhhh"
>>
>>323331093
Go make toast in a bathtub
>>
A game that plays like the action sections from SA, SA2, Heroes, and Shadow. Homing attack, light dash, that sort of thing. No mechs, no vehicles, no fishing.

Play as either Sonic or Shadow, since they are similar enough to not absorb enough production time. Tails and Knuckles would be great too, but they would take more production time.

Stages have at least three different objectives like in Shadow the Hedgehog, so you can go to the goal ring, or collect a specific number of rings, or get 200k points, or other objectives.

Some new stages, but also revisiting old places like an Angel Island stage.

I want at least 30 levels. That's about as many as SA2 had total; imagine if all of them were action stages.
>>
>>323317549
>Not 'PRESS X 2 DASH 2 THE FINISH'
There is literally no Sonic game that has this
>>
File: 61OV+x7yZLL._SL1000_.jpg (72KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
61OV+x7yZLL._SL1000_.jpg
72KB, 1000x667px
Rerelease this motherfucker please Sega.
>>
>>323327784
I managed to link to the wrong post AND say Generations instead of Unleashed. Good job, me.
>>323324687
>>
i think this might be of interest. or is it fake?
>>323329818
>>
>>323332916

please use your brain
>>
>>323332398
good smile nendoroid?

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Smile-Hedgehog-Nendoroid-Action/dp/B006G7QC6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452371312&sr=8-1&keywords=sonic+nendoroid
>>
CHAO GARDEN
H
A
O

G
A
R
D
E
N
>>
>>323333183
so it's fake?
>>
>>323327784
>>323332782
It'd be no shorter than a Genesis Sonic game, except it'd also have the extra modes I listed, the time trial aspect, and the Chao Garden to add replayability. Sonic was never supposed to be a super long game, and arguably it's SEGA's attempts to pad out the franchise that have been the primary cause of some of Sonic's bigger fuck-ups (the gameplay changes in Sonic Adventure 1/2, the Werehog, Silver's gameplay in the already exceptionally shitty Sonic 06, etc)

But hey, the more the merrier. They could quite easily make a boost-style game with way more levels. 40, 60, 80, who knows? The problem is, they don't know how to allocate their time/money/resources properly. Why the fuck did they render entire cities for Sonic Unleashed when you only race through slim corridors of each one? This is probably the one thing Sonic Lost World got right - everything was much more simply, practically designed, and if you could see something then it was part of the game world and not just a decoration you can never reach
>>
>>323333404
Yes. That price is ridiculous though, he was released at 30$ in 2012.

Also is it true Sonic is unpopular in Japan? Why?
>>
>>323317549
>le boost to win maymay

go load up Unleashed, Colours or Gens right now, hold down the X button and see how far you get faggot
>>
>>323333573
We already have a sega employee in this thread with a leak, fuck off.
>>
>>323334651
you're right and that was me :^) i'm bad at leaks though so i gave up after the first post lol
>>
>>323332916
Sounds boring enough to be real, but most probably fake.
>>
>>323334871
yeah you're right. i'm sure the next game will be adventure style. nothing currently hints at more lost world gameplay
>>
File: 1452023804898.png (15KB, 549x346px) Image search: [Google]
1452023804898.png
15KB, 549x346px
I work at Sega AMA
>>
File: nrhrr8dYml1r2gl7e_500.gif (300KB, 365x274px) Image search: [Google]
nrhrr8dYml1r2gl7e_500.gif
300KB, 365x274px
>>323332916
Yeah...no, completely contradicts what Endri someone who is reliable with leaks said on Retro, so into the trash it goes with the rest of the leaks over the past few days. March or April really can not get here fast enough.
>>
>>323316802
Be a sidescroller with actual physics.
>>
>>323316802
Nothing, make Alex Kidd instead. Like a decent Mario 64/Sunshine ripoff, in a fleshed out version of his world that Phoenix Rie designed.

It is his 30th anniversary and the year of the monkey, after all.
>>
>>323336415
can i get a link to endri's stuff? i'm very interested now.
>>
>>323336638
Fuck off to your fake leak thread and maybe I will.
>>
File: jiffy.png (39KB, 924x542px) Image search: [Google]
jiffy.png
39KB, 924x542px
>>323337349
but i never made a fake leak thread???
???????
i'm off to retro still. who needs your shitty help? :^^^)
>>
>>323336638
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=32126&st=1110&p=788331&#entry788331
>>
>>323337723
tanks m8
>>
>>323337556
Sure you didn't fampai ;;;^^^)))
>>
>>323337793
i have no idea what the fuck a fampie is but thankszzzz m999
>>
>>323332000
You're right, the correct combination is down and b.>>323332398
>>
>>323333942
The fact that you can't boost through EVERYTHING doesn't change the fact that it works for the overwhelming majority of obstacles. I like the boost games and all but they are fairly simplistic even by Sonic standards.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.