[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will Superman ever get a decent game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 21

File: image.jpg (47KB, 435x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 435x338px
Is it even possible?
>>
>>323082757

How do you make a good game about a guy who's mostly invincible?
>>
>>323082757
the snes superman game was actually really good
>>
>>323083265
It'd have to be pretty damn narrative heavy. Make it based on resource management of some kind. Superman can't be everywhere at once.
>>
I find it hysterical that Superman 64 is the only game to not have a title.

It's so terrible they even missed the prerequisite to name the game.
>>
File: Sundowner.jpg (97KB, 1280x1164px) Image search: [Google]
Sundowner.jpg
97KB, 1280x1164px
>>323083265
It can be possible
>>
>>323083464
Well it's not their fault DC/WB is always fucking up everything
>>
File: 1430970475895.png (77KB, 314x497px) Image search: [Google]
1430970475895.png
77KB, 314x497px
>>323083265
>who's mostly invincible?
He's weak to
>Space rocks
>Magic
>Sheer brute force
Just make a game where Earth is invaded by a bunch of muscle wizards from space. Done.
>>
>>323083265
He fights gods that hurt him. Make a game about fighting gods and shit.
>>
File: leaked-superman-game.jpg (48KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
leaked-superman-game.jpg
48KB, 640x384px
Soon.
>>
File: kickstarter.png (400KB, 398x384px) Image search: [Google]
kickstarter.png
400KB, 398x384px
>>323083265
>How do you make a good game about a guy who's mostly invincible?

It's not a fucking Batman game. Superman doesn't have Batman problems like criminals have taken over a prison or a bunch of armed thugs took over a city block. That's not a Superman problem, that's a minor inconvenience Clark Kent solves on his daily commute.

Superman gets involved in things that are actually a threat at the power level he works at.

>hordes of aliens with super strength capable of killing him
>mad geniuses with super tech/alien tech
>evil wizards
>other Superman-tier entities

Fortunately technology has advanced to the point where someone could crank out a half decent open world title with a character with Superman's power set and fighting style.
>>
>>323083265
Make it a game where he's just getting started with his heroing and is a complete noob.
>>
>>323083858
Sauce plz
>>
>>323083728
Darkseid
>>
>>323083265

Are you forgetting the level of fighters Superman regularly fights?
>>
>>323084228
Just look up Rocksteady Superman.
>>
>>323083330
It was a fun scrolling beat'em up by Blizzard. Nothing particularly special and it's kinda a cheat since you don't actually play as Superman himself til near the end.
>>
>>323083728
>weak to magic

No, he's not weak to magic. He just has no resistance to it meaning it'll hurt him just like it does a normal person.
>>
>>323084549
So he's weak to magic.
>>
>>323084671

No weakness implies it hurts him more than it does everyone else. It just hurts him the same.
>>
>>323084750
He doesn't have any resistance. So he's weak to it.
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 435x580px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 435x580px
A superman game based on Tim Burton's "Superman Lives" script
>>
>>323084858

That's like saying "i'm weak to getting punched in the face because my skull isn't made of steel".

No, getting punched in the face just hurts. There's a neutral ground here.
>>
>Tfw just finished watching Smallville after a 3 week binge
Regardless, that superman game that came out for 360 had a pretty decent idea going. Superman doesn't have a health bar, metropolis does. Only played the demot hough so I have no idea how that turned out, but shadow of apokolips for ps2 was good.
>>
>>323085061
If it hurts you, you're weak to it.

He's weak to magic.
>>
>>323084165
The main problems is not wether he's invincible or not (he's not, tho he always finds a way to defeat the enemy with little explanation). He's not a character easy to portrait in a videogame, an open world game could be good, but that would involve a massive world, if he's having a fight with Bizarro for example, the place should be destroyed, it would also involve a clever battle/flying system.

Rocksteady is our only hope
>>
>>323084510
yeah, nothing special but pretty fun
>>
>>323085181

Weakness implies it hurts MORE than it would normally hurt.
>>
File: Hero-Envy-Superman-vs-Thor.jpg (148KB, 343x640px) Image search: [Google]
Hero-Envy-Superman-vs-Thor.jpg
148KB, 343x640px
>>323084671
Think of it like Pokemon.

If you hit a Fire-type with a water attack, it does double damage.

But if you hit a Fire-type with a normal attack, it does damage but it doesn't get any bonuses.

Kryptonite is to Superman what water is to fire. Magic is a normal-type attack.

This is why Superman can still enter the fray even when it involves magic or divine entities(e.g. a sun god could hurt him with solar attacks but the immediate effect was that it just super-charged him.) He just can't prolong the fight as long but it doesn't cripple him the same way kryptonite or red sun-based tech can hurt him.
>>
There's a reason why the worst Goku video games are better than the best Superman games
>>
>>323085262
This is semantics, but i think we can call it a relative weakness considering his significant resistance to other forms of damage
>>
>>323085531

see >>323085438, he thought of a better explanation than I thought of
>>
>>323085438
spot on
>>
You could always NOT make him Silver Age level of ridiculous overpowered.

Just use the DCAU Superman (which admittedly S64 did, just in all the wrong ways). He had plenty of hard fights.
>>
File: 1444875600671.jpg (898KB, 938x1468px) Image search: [Google]
1444875600671.jpg
898KB, 938x1468px
>>323085484
So we get a Japanese developer to make a Superman game? I don't see the issue. Superhero fiction westaboos are doing some neat stuff in the manga scene.
>>
>>323084435
that's implying the comics were ever good
>>
File: 1451725343295.jpg (155KB, 580x438px) Image search: [Google]
1451725343295.jpg
155KB, 580x438px
>>323086294
You know, we just don't have to make it open world. Silver Age Superman was a proactive man of adventure getting into all kinds of wacky shit.

The only real issue is that you'd have to accept that there's a limit to how far Superman can travel or how much he can destroy, due to the limits of technology.

Not to mention no wanton killing because that's just not a Superman thing.
>>
>>323086781

Well I liked the Death of Superman, but aside from that I've never read the comics.
>>
>>323087229
try Red Son, its short and pretty cheesy for modern supes
>>
>>323087305

Oh right, I read that too, forgot about that. And All-Star Superman.

But I've never read the long continuing stuff. The only comic I do that with is Spider-Man.
>>
>>323087448
from longer runs I would recommend Lucifer from Vertigo and Punisher comics written by Ennis

myself I like shorter stuff, bonus points for gimmick like in Red Son or in Deadpool kills Marvel universe
>>
File: asuras_wrath.png (1MB, 780x1000px) Image search: [Google]
asuras_wrath.png
1MB, 780x1000px
>>323083265
Remember that he's not the only one with powers. Don't make him fight street crime. Dig deep into the DC mythos and raise the stakes. Power level is relative.
No repetitive beat-em-up missions. Every enemy must be unique and story-driven. Yes, I'm describing a boss rush game, and it will probably have to be short, but it can be done.
If there MUST be waves of mooks at some point, make it clear they're only a distraction from the actual objective.
>>
>>323083265
Let's see...

>Objective gameplay where he may be near invincible but has to protect people/objects

>levels where he has to take down a certain number of enemies in a time limit or he fails because the bad guy gets what he wants.

>Kryptonite as an occasional plot device for interesting boss fights

>Pull some badasses with real powers from the mythos.
>>
>>323087824
> Yes, I'm describing a boss rush game, and it will probably have to be short, but it can be done.
not that anon but thats sorta what MGR was, you ran from one boss to another with some mooks inbetween, and bosses were the main meal.
>>
>>323088030
>annoying design
>annoying design
>good plot device that was used many times
>pretty much what supes should be fighting
>>
>>323088058
>CUHRAZEEE Superman game
I have no idea how it could be done, but I'd be down for it.
>>
>>323088030
>>Objective gameplay where he may be near invincible but has to protect people/objects

Nobody enjoys these kinds of missions. Nobody.
>>
>>323088058
the thing that worked with MGR (and all beat-em-ups) is that crushing waves of mooks is fun as fuck. The combat system is neat. It's fun to be powerful as sin and just fuck everything to pieces.

There's nothing wrong with making your main character stupidly powerful inside the context of the game. And it could work for Superman. Just make his flight mechanics simple and fun, and work out some cool shit with his many powers to use in combat.
>>
>>323088263
>good plot device that was used many times

It's kinda hard not to use it too many times when the character has been around for 80 years.

They could always bring back the other colors of kryptonite that affect him in different ways.
>>
>>323088336
well just picture a fight with darkseid in metropolis, buildings crashing down, using cars and other big objects as projectiles etc. basically Prototype on steroids

>>323088456
the biggest problem with supes is his flight ability and his speed, he is one of the fastest beings in DC universe and his flight speed would mean that you gotta make open world levels of whole world and possibly a fair amount of outer space because lolpowers.

add to that destruction as seen in Man of Steel and you get a game that cannot be achieved with current tech
>>
File: darkseid1.jpg (30KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
darkseid1.jpg
30KB, 350x350px
>>323084396
>>323083728
sup
>>
>>323088759
>well just picture a fight with darkseid in metropolis, buildings crashing down, using cars and other big objects as projectiles etc.

So the ending fight from JLU?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPYl1OQoqk
>>
>>323088759
no, you just make a guy who can fly "pretty fast" and limit him to whatever space you need because lolvideogames. and you don't do full city destruction because that isn't necessary for a fun game.

it's like this is the first time you've encountered the concept of a video game "adapting" source material.

fuck, it would be 100% okay if Superman takes small damage from random mooks' handguns, because it's a fucking VIDEOGAME.
>>
File: 2218770.png (1MB, 760x960px) Image search: [Google]
2218770.png
1MB, 760x960px
>>323083265
Easy.
>>
>>323089094
what next, godzilla game where you cant destroy buildings and you take damage from stepping on legos?
>>
>>323089252
how about a godzilla game where you can destroy buildings in a simplistic manner, and take rudimentary damage from the army's weapons?

also >>323089190 exists. Hulk is even more an "engine of destruction" than Supes, he ALWAYS results in huge devestation when he fights. And he's even more canonically invincible. yet somehow his game was the goddamn tits, because the people making it were focused on making a fun-ass game, instead of fellating the central character and reaffirming his power levels in comparison to Goku.
>>
Will superman ever get a decent anything?
>>
>>323089252
So you want a game where you are almost invincible with the exception of some boss fights?
>>
File: 1438655468601.jpg (199KB, 790x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1438655468601.jpg
199KB, 790x1200px
>>323087448
Well that's why they're usually sorted into TPB and labeled by story-arc.

There's the first few volumes of the rebooted Action Comics by Grant Morrison, who also wrote All-Star, if you want a taste of the newer, more modern Supes.

If you want a taste of the first of the modern Supermans, there's
>Man of Steel
>Exile
>Death, World Without & Return of Superman
>No Limits
>For Tomorrow
>Birthright
>Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
>Superman/Shazam: First Thunder
>Up, Up And Away
>Last Son
>Brainiac & New Krypton

As well as Superman Adventures which is set in the world of The Animated Series
>>
>>323089817
Death of Superman is a modern classic
>>
File: 1443744053626.gif (708KB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
1443744053626.gif
708KB, 427x240px
>>323088336
When unarmed, Superman fights almost exclusively using his fists, so really you just need to build something around

>rapid-fire jabbing for damage
>heavy strikes to send an enemy flying
>grappling and throwing enemies and large objects
>heat vision attacks
>freeze breath/super breath attacks
>light speed dodge

There's got to be a reasonable restriction to how fast Superman can move given how big you can make a map for him to work in, but I think incorporating his super speed in the way he avoids attacks, if it's something like Viewtiful Joe/Godhand's dodging mechanics, or something like Bayonetta's Witch Time, would be a pretty elegant solution, not to mention I think it would work well either fighting on the ground, or fighting in 3-dimensions in the air.

Heat vision could be aimed precisely for the sake of puzzles or used with an auto-lock like Dante or Bayonetta's gunplay with varying intensities from stun to fuck you wave cannon.
>>
File: dogedick.jpg (18KB, 244x255px) Image search: [Google]
dogedick.jpg
18KB, 244x255px
>tfw I actually owned Superman 64 and played it when I was younger
>don't feel comfortable calling a vast majority of games shit like the rest of the memelords on /v/ because i've actually played an honestly, genuinely SHIT game with absolutely no effort put into it and
>>
File: 4984181-superman+game+bvs.jpg (145KB, 960x542px) Image search: [Google]
4984181-superman+game+bvs.jpg
145KB, 960x542px
There was a leak on here a couple days ago from a Superman game being developed by WB Montreal
>>
Gaming wise Superman is very hard to make.

So he has a vulnerability to a very specific material, and making so everyone has kryptonite knuckles and bullets simply sounds a bit forced, and you would essentially remove his invulnerability for game design, or maybe just some elite guys have access to krypto material? it's just easier to work with superheroes who are more flawed and vulnerable.

Superman can go superfast and fly, and he's also super maneuverable. He's not like a plane, so how do you make controls for that kind of ultra agile flying object? it's way harder than just making a plane, don't forget he also he's supposed to be extremely fucking fast. So fast that you'll have to cap his speed because he can fly faster than a console can render an open world (this is also why fighter jets in GTA games can't go as fast as they do in real life).

Then you'd also have to introduce environmental destruction in the open world, which isn't done much, but then he's supposed to be ridiculously strong, so there's another problem.

Long story short: he's a hard superhero to do gameplay mechanics wise.
>>
>>323083265
make it a second person game. the game is about superman but you observe it by playing someone else

it would be awful, I know. just a thought.
>>
File: 1443406223245.jpg (98KB, 500x777px) Image search: [Google]
1443406223245.jpg
98KB, 500x777px
>>323092851
>Superman's Best Friend Batman
>>
File: Saints_Row_IV_promo_02_jump.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Saints_Row_IV_promo_02_jump.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
I want a Superman game on the Saints Row 4 engine, that based entirely around original 1940s Superman.
>>
I always thought a full on Boss Battle, kind of like Shadow of the Colossus may be the best option for Superman.
He has a decent enough Rogues gallery that are strong enough to kill him:
Darkseid
Metallo
Cyborg Superman
Lobo
Bizzarro
Parasite
Lex Luthor (when he has his power armor)
Vandal Savage
Doomsday

Between these boss fights you can have management missions like helping people repair broken buildings, finding special items, helping to recapture creatures from Superman's fortress, things like that
>>
File: 1436510262453.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1436510262453.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>323093264
I think flight is a pretty easy thing to incorporate. The real issue is how fast he can move.
>>
>>323094894
No the real issue is how bullshit superman is.

You can't really have henchmen with 9mm's spraying at him and him losing a chunk of health.
Nor can you have every hostile person around holding kryptonite.

It would be more fitting for the prototype engine.
>>
>>323095116
Or you know, Superman can fight things at his power level instead of expecting him to deal with random human criminals for a whole game.
>>
There's also the licensed game stigma that most of them suck dick.
Publishers and developers want as much control as possible over their games, this while dealing with a property that is hard to make and also they would have to pay DC some money for using the superman IP.

Some things from Superman can't be replicated properly in an open world game, like his speed, and the destruction he would cause, so why make a Superman game and not an original IP of a guy who flies and destroys stuff? With Superman you also have the problem that he's a moralfag, which limits gameplay even further.

This is why they make games like Infamous and Prototype, and give their C teams to make those movie tie ins of Superman and such.
>>
>>323084183

That's actually a good idea. Either in one game or spanning three (since trilogies are all the rage), work Superman up from new hero to the god that everyone knows him as.
>>
I don't know if it's sad, but the only decent portrait of Sups in a game is in Injustice, and it's a fighting game and the main story is basically all the heroes and villains trying to stop this godly being. Sometimes I think there is no hope for the man of steel.
>>
>>323083265
Make it a quasi Dynasty Warriors-type beat em up. The enemies are all Kryptonite robots or something to prevent him from being completely unstoppable.
>>
What if Metropolis has a destruction bar which when filled sufficiently causes a Game over?
>>
>>323097473
>game punishes you if shit gets destroyed
So basically it is anti-fun from the get go.
>>
>>323097632
You could also make Lex Luthor change Metropolis so that Superman is brought down from god mode.
>>
>>323094894
Faster than a locomotive, which in the 1940s would me about 100 mph.
>>
A shit hero deserves shit games
>>
>>323093667
Thats actually a pretty good idea anon. I would love a game like that.

> fighting Sex Luthor in armor in top of Lex Corp
> Fighting a xboxhuge parasite in the middle of the city.
>ClĂ­max of the game is fighting Darkeseid in the Apokolips
> List goes on
>>
Has anyone thought of... you know, a Dynasty/Hyrule Warriors-type hack-and-slash adventure game? The hero-vs-army gameplay sounds like it'd be perfect for not just Superman, but the Justice League on the whole. But let's focus on Kal-El for now, and I'll theorize on other DC heroes if anyone gives a shit.

If you really wanted to be accurate to his lore, you could also give specifically Superman some sort of a... "Solar" meter, which would deplete as he uses whatever powers the devs want to program, like Super Breath or Heat Vision,but recovers naturally as he fights in areas irradiated by anything similar to a yellow sun; hell, you could even throw in a "Blue Sun" buff somewhere somehow, if the story called for it. Incoming melee/ranged (read: non-magic) damage could also be (partially) directed to the Solar meter; this would be to ensure Superman can take a thrashing and keep on smashing, so long as he has the power of the sun on his side. Hell, you could even have him use a bit of Solar meter to strengthen his basic combos and beef up his agility and evasiveness, just to keep his solar-powered nature consistent. As a result, Supes would be your go-to guy for outdoor missions, or onslaughts that no other hero can face; but, he would have a disadvantage in long-term fights where he couldn't recover Solar power as quickly. As for Kryptonite, it could either drain his Solar energy, then his HP, or just straight up make him unselectable for some missions; depending on what the devs would wanna do, of course.
>>
>>323086296
Actually they did for NES.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_%28Kemco_game%29
It's the same one that AVGN reviewed.
>>
>>323101687
I also forgot the arcade game from Taito:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0l6f3bmiGU
>>
File: Silk_Vol_1_1_Textless.jpg (368KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Silk_Vol_1_1_Textless.jpg
368KB, 800x1200px
Will Silk ever get a decent game?

Is it even possible?
>>
>>323082757
I think the para-gliding mechanics in Just Cause 3 would make for really good flying mechanics for Supes. The free world destruction as well, actually.
>>
>>323082757
Possibly but its not gonna be the game people really want. When you think superhero game you think of a character action game but in reality a superman game would be a lot closer to an ace combat game.
>>
Anyone have some recommended Superman storylines that aren't Red Son or All Star Superman? I've read comics for 20 years, but they've mostly been Marvel (DC stuff in and there). I actually don't know much about Superman. I imagine he can be a pretty fun character at times, what with fighting impossible odds all the time and journeying to other parts of the universe.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.