[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should games add "skip gameplay" options for those

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: 1452187259181.jpg (163KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1452187259181.jpg
163KB, 720x960px
Should games add "skip gameplay" options for those that just want the story?
>>
>>323052815
You are so fucking autistic.
>>
File: 1403608760143.jpg (327KB, 967x636px) Image search: [Google]
1403608760143.jpg
327KB, 967x636px
>>323052815

Reminder
>>
>>323052815
If some dev wants to put that in their game, then fine, go ahead. But trying to enforce it as a standard is absurd.
>>
>>323052815
if you buy games just for the story then just buy a fucking book you mongoloid.
>>
>>323052815
Sure, why not?
DVD's can be fast forwarded, CD's can be skipped and pages can be skipped in a book.

The only people it hurts are retards.
>>
should they take the wheels off cars for people that prefer to walk?

This is ridiculous how many more cut scenes have to replace shit before its no longer a game. You should be rewarded with story not spoonfed it for doing nothing.
>>
>>323052815
Should books include a TL/DR on the front cover for those with adhd and can't read for longer than 5 minutes at a time?
>>
>>323052815
I wonder if the author for The Order's guide was scratching his head over how to beef up the pages to the guide or included these as a joke
>>
>>323056546
What your argument actually would lead to, is a skip/fast forward function for cutscenes and other story-related content. Gameplay is non-existant in the other forms of media you mentioned, so that remains untouched by your argument.
>>
>>323052815
Why play a game if you want to skip the gameplay? That's like saying you're an avid reader but you just look up plot synopses on Wikipedia.
>>
>>323057615
Because it's cool in certain circles to call yourself a 'gamer' nowadays, but of course these people don't actually give a shit about games and whine as soon as they pose even the slightest challenge.
>>
>>323057310
Except plenty of things are told through gameplay and actions were the player interacts with the game itself so it would effect more than just cutscenes.
>>
>>323052815
Bioware and CDPR games do this.
>>
>>323052815
They should include a kill-self button because playing games for the shitty story is fucking idiotic.
>>
>>323057615
Some people like high budget CYOA.
>>
>>323056315
This.
Would work for fighting games, though.
>>
>>323052815
That's called a walkthrough. Check them out on Youtube.
>>
>>323057154
im sure he was struggling something fierce.
>>
>>323052815
how about you just watched a youtube video of a guy playing
>>
>>323058093
RTCW had a cyanide tooth button
>>
I would appreciate the option for second playthroughs.

Fucking shitty games like skyward sword that constantly throw filler and recycled content at you completely ruined any desire for me to ever replay that game again.

I have fond memories of some of the dungeons/bosses/cutscenes, but you just have to wade through so much bullshit. It's like if you wanted to see a cool scene in a movie but had to watch the lord of the rings trilogy before it without fast forwarding
>>
>>323058297
>>323058403
I want to support the devs that support me. You boys poor or something?
>>
No, they can go watch an actual fucking movie if all they wanted to do was sit there and watch a visual story.
>>
>games
>story
>>
>>323058582

They don't support you though, they support players, not watchers,
>>
>>323052815
Just buy Sony first party games
>>
I actually would like it for a game like alpha protocol. The combat isnt too great and having to go through all the gameplay 8 times to get through all the different options is annoying. If they have a skip gameplay option it would be nice just to see how everything works out. Also ironically for DA2 it wouldnt have been such a bad idea since going through the same copypaste dungeons isnt fun.
>>
>>323057904
No, it wouldn't. Fast forwarding a film equals fast forwarding a cutscene - you simply can not equate it with gameplay, even if the gameplay is intrinsically tied to the story. Your argument is on the same level as the one where people argue in favour of 'cinematic fps', which of course completely misses that point that you can't simply equate a film and a video game. Gameplay is what measurably differentiates video games from other forms of media, it is its own thing and can't simply be skipped without destroying not only the game in question but the whole concept of interactive video games.
>>
>>323056546

You can skip movies and books but you will miss a large amount of information, especially if it's your first time. Plot details will be lost and you'll likely be lost by the end of it.

The same thing happens with video games, except you will hit a wall instead if confusion. Crucial skills or information will be missing and you will never find out why you can't go through the small hole in a wall since you never discovered that Metroid could crawl.

However, all of that is irrelevant as the comparison is stupid. Books and Movies don't require any form of interactivity. They don't need the user to be engaged and participate in them in order for them to be enjoyed. They just need to observe. Video Games are entertaining because of the interactivity. You take that away and you end up with something that would have been better off being a movie or book.

These dumb fucks trying to make games more like movies need to fuck off. Stories in video games are best told when the player shapes the story through gameplay. That boss fight you managed to beat on your first try but only had 1 hit point left at the end of it? That's the fucking story telling that should be happening in video games. You are the bad ass. Not a pre-rendered cutscene.
>>
>>323055685
If blue line is funding progress, what's the green line ?
>>
>>323060383
Estimated final total, I think.
>>
>>323060383
maybe the extrapolation of the average income
>>
>should videogames just not be videogames
>>
>>323058752
Hey, anon, psst: they support customers! If you ain't paying, they don't care about you.
Sometimes they don't even care about you if you're paying. http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574
>>
>>323052815
Should just make a movie instead.
>>
I don't care. If they put them in, I will play the game, if they do not, I will play the game. The children who resent how other people find enjoyment can rage about it all they like, I will lose no sleep for it.
>>
>>323052815
Good games interweave both to a degree that that isn't feasible.
>>
>>323052815
They already have that just for your sorry ass : Let's plays and wikipedia pages.
>>
>>323059320
>You can't fast forward a movie, movies have cinematography, you just can't DO that! Cinematography is what measurably differentiates movies from other forms of media, it is its own thing and can't simply be skipped without destroying not only the movie in question but the whole concept of visual films
>>
People who want to skip the gameplay must not know that Wikipedia is a fucking thing.

That and Youtube.

If you don't even like the gameplay, why would you buy the fucking game to begin with? Publishers who cater to people who don't even enjoy videogames is what's truly ruining this industry.
>>
>>323061141
Nice reductio ad absurdum family.
>>
>>323060383

How are you this retarded anon. Its Pledged amount.
>>
>>323061570
>Literally the same argument
>But I didn't intend to make it so it's absurd
Nice idiotic argument friend.
>>
>>323058524

why would you play a shitty game a second time?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.