[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets get the proper reviews in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Ialwaysask.jpg (44KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
Ialwaysask.jpg
44KB, 460x215px
Rise of Nations on a nice 75% sale. Is it worth a punt?

The steam reviews say yes, but I, as any good 4channer knows, will ask the proper crowd, which is you /v/.
>>
Rise of nations is like a really shit Age of Empires. Let me explain, it has the token total war move-by-group thing but it makes no difference. Battles are heavily influenced by rock paper scissors (ie composition of force then size of force) with a fair amount of RNG so its tough to say whether or not you'll win.

I liked it when I was 10 but having played other RTS its pretty lackluster
>>
Watch some let's plays. I thought it was going to be like AoEII but it's completely different.
>>
>>323048067
Faggot.
>>
>>323048537
I like the nukes
>>
>>323048537
Don't listen to this pleb.

It's a great game that's stood the test of time. It's a lot more involved than you might think, with many different strategies to victory. If you're not an absolute moron, you can create different types of armies for different purposes (ie attacking, defending, rushing, etc) and the outcome of the battle depends on you.

Economically, the game is fun as there are many different resources and buildings you can make. Overall, it's oneasy of my favorite games of all time. Just make sure you get a population increase mod.
>>
OP you'd be better off playing an RTS about your favourite time period than playing this breakneck ascent through time. Think civ with no turns and the only way to win is nukes
>>
>>323048537
>>323050170

git gud, faggots.

It's pretty fast paced and often pretty hectic RTS, focused on combat (especially on land maps). There's no fortifications, so you can't turtle. The weak and strong points of your units are very important and you need to learn them (protip: siege units are fucking beasts pre-gunpowder age). Due to combat mechanics there's no front lines, but lot of big and small skirmishes, with a lot of mobility warfare

TL;DR it's good if you like fighting with lot of units in lot of places. Decisions must have been done fast. It's fun. But if you are more a strategist than a tactician you might to look for something else.

Also: seems that steam version don't have Thrones and Patriots DLC.
>>
It's fucking great, so get it.
>>
File: 1445887277310.gif (3MB, 264x240px) Image search: [Google]
1445887277310.gif
3MB, 264x240px
>>323051471

The Extended Edition includes:
Rise of Nations
Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots

MORON ALERT
>>
I really liked it back in the day. Going back to it recently, while the Ai is good it seemed as every faction was the same - I won consistantly by doing the same strategy again and again; unique units did very little in the grand scheme of things.
>>
I really liked it. Feels somewhere between AOE2 and Civilization.
>>
File: 259o1_400.gif (2MB, 360x265px) Image search: [Google]
259o1_400.gif
2MB, 360x265px
>>323051993

Yup, now I see it.
mfw
>>
>>323048537
fuck this game, RoN is a classic from the golden age of RTS games that took risks with it's design and turned into a sick video game. I don't know what the extended edition has over the original+xpac, but that sale is worth it

fucking AoE babies, man
>>
>>323048067
It's good. If you just play skirmishes it's a blend of CiV and AoE 2.
If you play one of the campagins, you get a Total war like campagin to boot.
It's good, it's what AoE 3 should've been
>>
>>323055603
The game does get worse if you move into the modern era,where you get airplanes and nukes, but that might be just me cause I'm a scrub with shitty micro skills.
>>
File: angry shinji.jpg (89KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
angry shinji.jpg
89KB, 1280x960px
>>323055603
>it's what AoE 3 should've been
jesus christ this
ensemble fucked up so hard
>>
Much better than AoE.
>>
>>323048067
It's a great mix of Civ and AoE, and immensely fun to play because it's got immense breadth and something for every RTS player. Worth the purchase price if nothing else.
>>
>>323048067
>I, as any good 4channer knows, will ask the proper crowd, which is you /v/
jesus christ, shut the fuck up faggot
>>
>>323048067
>5 dollerydoos

Hell yes OP. This game is really fun once you get the hang of the weird upgrade orders and territory stuff, super deep RTS, and the Wonders give fun as fuck upgrades like for instance China's Terracotta Army gives you a unit for every unit you have every couple seconds, so you end up with enormous armies to throw around
>>
>>323048067
Bantu master race reporting in.
>>
Rise of nations is one of my favorite rts but you would be better off pirating because the extended version is just shit. I had countless connection problems while playing online e.g. Lag and desynchronisation. The worst offender would be the music that changes its volume to 100% everytime a song ends oder an event happens. This is still not fixed and you can only fix it through the workshop and using an external program. So yes to RoN but no to the extended edition.
>>
>>323048067

It's a fantastic game. It's easy to get into but doesn't hold your hand. There's a lot more complex stuff you can do once you master the basics.

Soundtrack is super comfy too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfvL1PAqYs8
>>
Holds up very well gameplay wise with tons of replayability. If your a fan of RTS you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing it.
>>
>>323057260
This. Stop fucking paying jews for their shitty lazy re-releases.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.