[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been a Mario game that had actually good boss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: smb3_byebye_boomboom_1.png (1KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
smb3_byebye_boomboom_1.png
1KB, 256x240px
Has there ever been a Mario game that had actually good boss fights? Really the only one I can think of is Yoshi's Island and that's not really a Mario game. With how old Mario is and how many games he's had that's pretty atrocious.
>>
seems silly to not consider YI a mario game. Very few enemies aren't established mario ones, and mario himself is partially a protagonist, plus the whole thing is just backstory to the series.
>>
>>323039312
What's the name of that mario game where you have to run and jump everywhere?
>>
>>323040032
I meant in like the mainline series of Mario games. It's almost a spinoff in how different it is.
>>
Yoshis Island is literally called Super Mario World 2.

But to answer your question, no, I can't think of any. Then again, I don't see how this would be a bad thing. The boss fights are so easy and quick that they don't matter. The focus was clearly level design, which is more important to a platformer anyway.
>>
There isn't really much you can do when the boss's main weakness must be jumping on his head.

If Mario Maker had lockable doors and enemy health you could make some decent bosses yourself.
>>
>>323039312

What about Sunshine or Galaxy? I didn't play them, but I seem to remember them having more complex boss fights.
>>
>>323039312
Shockingly the "New ..." Series has pretty great boss diversity.
The DS one has a series of unique bosses. The Wii title is especially great with boss battle diversity since each Koopaling battle has a wildly differant mechanic from the last (Larry is the normal fight, Morton has a giant wall you have to wait for him to destroy, Iggy is riding on a gigantic fucking chain chomp).
>>
The Birdo fights in SMB2 are pretty clever.

Also the Bowser fights at the end of 3 and 64 are dope.
>>
File: 8201362197_65b1f48286_m.jpg (17KB, 231x205px) Image search: [Google]
8201362197_65b1f48286_m.jpg
17KB, 231x205px
>Boss takes more than 3 hits
>>
specific bosses are fun in the series,like Iggy in U,gobblegut from galaxy 2, and bouldergeist in galaxy. Mario's mechanics don't really allow for crazy bosses for the most part
>>
>>323040649
>64
Really? I thought it was just the same fight three times over. I don't even remember Bowser needing more than one hit to go down.
>>
>>323040921
He always needs 3, iirc
>>
>>323040921
You have to grab his tail and spin him, that's pretty funny.
>>
>>323040921
Third one required 3 hits. It was basicly doing what Mario 3 did where the fight was essentially the same, but Bowser had completely differant attacks in each.
Though he could be referring to the mini-bosses (King-Bobomb, Big Boo, Chief Chilly)
>>
>>323041061
He never needed 3. Maybe they made it easier in the US version.
>>
maybe yoshi's island but that's not really a typical mario game.

Why should mario have good bosses? I mean it shouldn't have bad bosses but 99% of the gameplay is platforming levels. boss fights are weird in the game.
>>
>>323041147
Well, he definitely needs 3 at the final battle, because the ground will break after the first hit to make a star shaped ground.
>>
>>323041228
If they spend so much time on making these bosses and you fight some of them so many times throughout some of the games then they should be good. There's really no excuse for it after 30+ years and why would you not want content in your game to be good?
>>
>>323040645
I would like the unique designs of the DS OC bosses and the unique gameplay elements of the Koopalings from Wii/U to be combined, not either or.

Oh wait.... Yoshi's Island already did that.

Well... A-at least we have the 3D Mario bosses....
>>
>>323040645
>>323040738
Iggy's later fights in general were god-tier.
>His psychotic laughter echoes throughout the whole level.
>Fucking Giant Chain Chomp Chariot
>That Warp Pipe room where he runs across the ceiling shooting fireballs at you.
>>
>>323041451
>If they spend so much time on making these bosses
What makes you think they spend much time on it, considering their quality?

And why would I care about the quality of superflous content when the main content is far more important? Why would I want good Boss battles when I could have 10 better designed levels instead?

Honestely, they could just skip Boss battles entirely, except the mandatory fight against Bowser/Villain of the week at the end.
>>
Galaxy games had some genuinely fun bosses.
But for the most part you're pretty limited in what you can do with platformer bosses, and I'm just thankful the games never pull a "use this mechanic only during boss fights" bullshit. I'd rather the entire experience be platforming when I play a platformer. In that regard, SMB bosses are just another platforming obstacle, that's all.
>>
This dude looked hella interesting but the actuality of the fight left me feeling really underwhelming. Like... They didn't do enough to spice things up or prolong it.

Come to think of it... Most bosses in 3D World were hit and miss. A mixture of original enemies and Boom Boom/Pom Pom rehashes. The Motley Bob and that chrome looking Bully boss were great, but then you had a generic Playskool lava boulder and Playskool snakes in a circus tent. And all of them had the same problem as Ka Thunk until they "remixed" them in Champion Road at the end.

I hope the next Mario goes bqck to Galaxy 1 type bosses and not this unfocused mess, or cheap out on us with Koopalings or Boom Boom again. The Galaxy 1 and arguably 2 bosses were BOAT.
>>
File: 405px-Ka-Thunk.png (124KB, 405x218px) Image search: [Google]
405px-Ka-Thunk.png
124KB, 405x218px
>>323042474
Forgot pic related.
>>
>>323042474
That Knight Bully boss is absolute crap. You don't even have to jump once to kill it and I'd be surprised if it's ever managed to hurt anyone who's ever played 3D World.
>>
>>323042474

I'm perfectly fine with Koopalings forever, as long as they keep using them in new ways.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.