[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>open world Am I the only one that hates this meme? Why does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 1425492757540.jpg (14KB, 468x306px) Image search: [Google]
1425492757540.jpg
14KB, 468x306px
>open world
Am I the only one that hates this meme?
Why does everyone want to make an open world game these days?
Whatever happen to well designed, linear yet replayable games?
>>
>I hate freedom
Ugh why won't commies leave /v/ alone, bros?
>>
If you're making an RPG, having an open or nonlinear game world is a must

Problem is when it's shoehorned into everything, for instance Metal Gear Solid and going open world
>>
>>323032505
Open world is easy now.

Create a map making program and you could have an intern sit down and create the whole map in a day.

Even better in games that don't let you enter buildings
>>
>>323032641
A good open world isn't easy to do. XCX actually managed to do it right, somehow at least.
>>
>>323032639
Making Metal Gear open world was the biggest mistake that game made.

>The freedom to tackle any mission any time any way you want

In reality

>Start mission
>2 minutes of flying in
>Get spoiled on any twists from the 'Staring:' titles
>Land outside Building Prop #47
>>
>>323032878
Honestly, it should've been instead full of Camp Omega sized levels and stuff.
>>
>>323032878
mgs being open world was really a nail in the coffin for me
>>
>>323032505
>am i the only one

No, nigger, is it your first day on this board you fucking retard? Every day people moan and bitch and whine about shitty open world games here.
>>
>>323032505
I heard the open world in that Mad Max game was pretty decent.
>>
>>323032570
>Hates commies
>Calls people "bros"
>>
>>323032505
>Why does everyone want to make an open world game these days?
>Whatever happen to well designed, linear yet replayable games?
Most people prefer to replay open world games -> most people prefer to buy open world games -> most publishers push for open world games.

They are also creatively easier to make.

>>323032639
>If you're making a glorified visual novel
>>
>>323033793
>RPGs are now glorified visual novels now
Yeah okay.

Okay.

Fuck this.

Fuck you.

I'm out.
>>
File: ca7eQRb.png (13KB, 61x80px) Image search: [Google]
ca7eQRb.png
13KB, 61x80px
>>323033905
>now
>>
File: _20151127_134113.jpg (35KB, 493x852px) Image search: [Google]
_20151127_134113.jpg
35KB, 493x852px
>>323032505
There is no reason to have open world over just hubs. Open world is just hubs with meaningless empty space between them. That time spent making the empty space could be used making the hubs more detailed
>>
>>323034929
Dem child bearing hips.
>>
>>323032505
too hard work open world games are literally copy past shit.
>>
>>323032505
Because you just need to slap "open world game with a complex crafting system" in front of your and people will just slurp it up.
>>
>>323032505
>I want linearity in video games!
Then buy a nintendo and shut up. God damn.
>>
You can just move a brush and you'll have most of your world already done.

It's been such a long time without good level design.
>>
>>323036298
Some people actually like the freedom to go where what the want, do what they want and build what they want. Wow. Meanwhile your dumb ass is utterly lost and tantruming without a hand to walk you through a predestined, one-way dirt road.
>>
>>323032505
5 years ago you were saying: "stupid linear cod clones"
>>
>>323036410
>buy a nintendo

Go take a nap, grandpa.
>>
The elephant in the room is that it doesn't matter if your game is linear or open world if you can't do either type well. You can't compensate for shitty game design with a genre.
>>
>>323032505
I agree but also >>323037276 is correct. You and I both were saying this.

The truth is single player games are horrible, both linear and open world
>>
I wouldn't mind if open world games actually had good gameplay.

Most of the time they are weak examples of their genre, but they get away with it because muh quantity.
>>
>>323041585
Multiplayer games are useless unless you have couch
>>
I write off any open world game as shovelware. Its not worth a second glance, if its open world its automatically shit.
>>
File: 500 hours of skyrim gameplay.gif (485KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
500 hours of skyrim gameplay.gif
485KB, 500x300px
>>323032505
Open world games are usually more static, they don't have to put a lot of effort into their game to entertain the player, pic related. Despite their size, open world games are easier to make nowadays.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.