[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix open world game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6

File: 149649359.jpg (543KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
149649359.jpg
543KB, 1920x1080px
How do we fix open world game?
>>
more open, less world
>>
>>322812605
Remove crafting.
>>
less focus on size, more focus in quality content
>>
>>322812605
Aonuma and Miyamoto will show us this year.
>>
>>322812605
If you have a mountain I should be able to climb it.
>>
>>322812605
make it japanese
>>
Basically what everybody else said

What good is a fuckhuge world if i can't interact with anything on it?
>>
>>322812945
came to post this
>>
>>322812605

It doesn't have to be the biggest. It has to have a realistic scope, don't try to make it too big and end up with a barren land. More focus on side quests, don't focus on useless collectives. Have different types of incentives(items, experience, side quests, sight-seeing) so that players want to explore your world.

No level scaling, if you have that the player can pretty much explore anywhere in no time. If you have places that the player can't go because he is not ready, it makes the player take its time exploring the places he can actually go to.

No King of All Trades leveling system where by the time you're Lv50, you pretty much can do everything. It kills roleplaying and wanting to do multiple plays with different characters.

Don't have a crafting system to excuse the lack of weapons, armor and buffs.

To end, if you want to have a game mechanic in the game. Flesh it out fully, don't add mechanics just because another game has then if you won't make them as good, or better than in other games.

I have way more but I'd rather end it at that.
>>
>>322812723
The exact opposite, really. Like Gothic
>>
[insert open world game developer] please leave
>>
>>322812605
Do what Rockstar does.
>>
>>322812605

Add time pressure to the quest. It kills all immersion if the quest tells how fast I have to travel to a point, but I can spent weeks collecting flowers for weeks without any consequences.

Also while you should have impact on the game, the game should resolve on its own.
>>
More procedural generation.
>>
You can't, they're too expensive to develop properly. That and a skinnerbox that rakes in monthly fees makes more business sense.
>>
>>322814913
Nothing?
>>
>>322815132
Less procedural generation.
>>
>>322815113

A living world doesn't wait for it's hero.
>>
biggest mistake is when the open world games are designed with the player in mind. create a living world and then drop the player into it. I don't want to be "the one"
>>
>>322812945
>>
>>322815132
Disgusting. Design the world so it has interesting and quality areas not a bunch of useless randomized shit everywhere. Wide open space with nothing to do in it is the worst shit in open world games.
>>
>>322814913
literally EVERYONE does what rockstar does...

where do you think this meme genre came from?

what we need is more worlds like skyrim or fallout, worlds you can interact with
>>
>>322812945

This is why I'm scared for Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, and No Man's Sky. Space is cool and all but so empty that 99.999% of it is nothingness. I'd rather have a space sim that has one incredibly detailed solar system than a billion star systems that are completely void.
>>
>>322815451

>meme genre

Just stop
>>
>>322815446
Does it really matter to you if a tree was placed by a computer rather than some guy sitting in a cubicle?
>>
File: drake-video-01.jpg (86KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
drake-video-01.jpg
86KB, 612x380px
>>322812605
>>322812605

Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto V, and The Witcher 3 did open world well

MGSV and Fallout 4 kind of fudged it

We need to look at what games like Witcher 3 did to make it work so well, and try to learn from that

Simply having an open world alone isn't automatically a good feature. It has to be an enjoyable world
>>
>>322815584
suck my dick

thats exatly what it is now, and you know
>>
>>322812605
focus on physics, destruction, and construction
>>
>>322812605

Make more interesting worlds. There's too big of a focus on realistic and semi-realistic worlds and locations.
>>
>>322815773

dumb Drakeposter
>>
>>322815773
Witcher 3 didnt do open world so well. Good story but in terms of actual open world, it did not really react much to your actions and lacked any real dynamism or emergent gameplay elements.
>>
>>322815452
But they're kinda being realistic here. Many star system are literally nothing but a small star and perhaps Super Jupiter. Seeing Star systems with a lot of planets is rarer then you think.
>>
>>322812605
game? shit looks great
>>
>>322812605
Just like Skyrim with bigger cities, RPG elements from New Vegas, combat like Dark Souls 2. A game which will be discussed even decades later.
>>
Gravity Rush is open world?
>>
>>322816260
gravity rush/daze
>>
>>322812945
/thread
>>
i liked far cry 4 to be honest.
>>
Have side quests that tie into the main quest, if somethings a big world changing thing then shouldn't it, you know change the world?

Sure somethings will be lost forever as you progress but you will know WHY its lost, unlike some games where you don't even know you lost anything.
>>
>>322812894
>>322815773
crafting in skyrim screwed up my game took up smithing to max for that sweet sweet high end gear but my skill was shit with it and the enemies level scaled strongers than me. fights were no fun hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack hack kill cam hack kill cam hack kill cam hack kill cam hack hack dragon shout pause new dragon should pause new dragon should pause new dragon shout pause new dragon shout pause first dragon shout pause health potion hack hack hack hack pause health potion pause health postion hack with sword hack hack hack hack pause wrong dragon shout hack hack pause new dragon shout hack hack hack dragon shout hack hack hack hack hack dragons shout kill cam.
honestly crafting gets even worse in MMO's like you get limited skill points on purpose so you have to buy a second account dedicated to crafting.

Really dont think there is anything to fix with open world games though, end of the day it's just a game. Some people will play it because they have nothing else to do, and some people will play it to grief because they can't get away with it in real life.
>>
Focus on interaction with the world rather than just sheer size.

And by that I don't mean automated animations you have no control over.
>>
>>322816809

same
>>
All you need to do is have a random or procedural generation system that generates events around the world that can tie into eachother and have many different permutations of the formula with different requirements for each so things keep happening and feel new all the time. You can have say ten different types of events with potentially thousands of permutations.

Also have some events have lasting effects. Say a dragon can spawn and all the gaurds rush to the small village it spawned near and due to having a quest earlier where you either strengthen or weaken the military it will decide whether the dragon wins or not and that village gets wiped out.
>>
Open world games don't need saving. The concept is outdated, has been explored to its fullest, and it's time to let go.
>>
>>322815451
No, Rockstar has actual fun shit and well developed worlds.
>>
>>322812605
Be gravity rush 2
>>
>>322817019
>The concept of a living breathing world as nuanced as our own has been explored to the fullest
What game? I'll play that shit forever.
>>
>>322816809
>>322816984
same.

but ask yourself, would you ever replay it after collecting all those fucking chests and posters?

the game will play itself out the same each time. doesn't matter who you pick during the golden path quests, shit happens the same way regardless.
>>
>>322812605
More verticality and enterable buildings.
>tfw saints row 2 was the last good open world game I played other than Dying Light
>>
Open all the buildings.
>>
>>322812605
Stop making them. All issues solved.
>>
>>322815452
Don't know about the others, but does NMS have any gameplay at all?
It seems to me like a endless pokèdex grinding with randomic plants/animals whatever, how could that be fun at all?
>>
You don't.
>>
>>322812605
don't make it too big and empty

collectables should have a purpose (ie: collect 25 X to initiate a special quest that gives you something good)

lots of lovely loot and variety

don't make the player do the same thing more than 4 times

make it run well without crashing

make it realistic within the bounds of the reality you're creating.
>>
>>322817309
i didn't do much in regards to collecting the random shit and i was never invested in the story. video game stories are boring and i hate cutscenes. i just really liked the gunplay of the game, how the slow, tactical stealth sneaking can perfectly segue into the fast paced shooting and then back again. the gameplay was just really fun.
>>
>>322812605
>open world

LAUGH MY ASS OFF SHAKING MY HEAD TO BE HONEST FAMILY

Lol. Until we get to the point where a single game company spends 200 times more effort and makes sure every single building is enterable, every single npc of the thousands is unique and has memorable traits (and is interactable, gives you quest, etc), every single shop and activity is available (anything that the character can do you can do), and let's not forget, until the technology is ready, the concept of open world will always be a gimmick. It will be a giant map with absolutely nothing to do and will ironically be more linear than a well thought out linear game
>>
>>322812605
Put some content in it.
>>
>>322812605
make them actually open worlds
I want a 3d game based on Google maps that generates all the roads and buildings in the entire world using publicly available information that I can explore in a first/third person view

Think GTA-style MMOTPS that uses mapping from Google Earth with fully explorable environments
>>
>>322817812
>1000 go kill 10 bears quest
>>
They need to develop a new way of fast, but substantially interesting and important side content to fill the map with. Every single open world either has not enough or too much fetch bullshit. GTA5 has very little, AC Unity has bazillions of collectibles and rehashed side missions.
>>
>>322815452
In the case of No Man's Sky they're sacrificing realism for that reason. Systems are small and planets are about a minute away from eachother within their system.
>>
>>322816945
>not playing a mage

Enchants are worth more than anything you can forge.
>>
>>322815452
that's why Space Engineers is better for all the right reasons
>>
More buildings you can enter.
>>
File: 1424494099445.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1424494099445.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>322815451
>what we need is more worlds like skyrim
>>
>>322817993
I meant actual content not some shitty quests/achievements that has no other function than artificially increase gametime
>>
Stop making them
>>
Make it a small town with every building able to be entered, with realistic house sizes and whatnot.

>More open
>Less world
>>
>>322819289
Like Pokemon?
>>
File: Diner-NoSFX.jpg (90KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
Diner-NoSFX.jpg
90KB, 1000x625px
Multiple hub-based locations that are revisted with missions inside each and branching off of them but all connected >>>>>> Open world

Seriously.

I would FAR prefer games to capture even half the atmosphere of this game than sacrifice quality for a walking simulator.
>>
>>322812945
>xenoblade did this but still made it huge
too bad about all the other problems it had, that world was so amazing it didnt need much to become GOTY, but it was just so unpolished in places
>>
>>322815451
This has to be b8
Gta v has a MUCH better open world than fallout 3/4 and skyrim
>>
>>322816404
>we will never have a polished, bug free Oblivion with good combat
>>
>>322820612
i agree.
vtmb and HR come to mind
>>
File: BeverlyJohnson-GTASA.jpg (24KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
BeverlyJohnson-GTASA.jpg
24KB, 800x600px
Tfw San Andreas was the last good open world game
>>
I think that there are two major things that would need fixing.

First one has already been mentioned multiple times: stop obsessing over the size of the world and quantity of content, instead focus on the quality of content and detail level of the word. One interesting location with actual backstory and unique details is worth twenty generic enemy camps or dank copypasta ruins.

Second, open world games should really ultilize their openness more than they do now. If you pick an average sandbox game mission, it's practically always just scripted stuff that could be placed in a limited map and it still would work all the same. So practically the open world is reduced to just an hub from which you activate those linear missions.

Of course, fixing that isn't easy. It's hard to create actual dynamic elements in mission design. But there are some simple ways how to at least create an illusion of dynamic world: for example in Oblivion Dark Brotherhood missions some of those assassination targets actually moved in a schedule around the world, between cities and all. That gave the player some freedom to think about when and where to act. Of course that isn't that much on itself, but using more small things like that could go a long way to making the world feel more like an actual big and living system.
>>
>>322812605
>is open world necessary
a lot of the time it isn't, and the game would have been better served by a selection of smaller "hub" levels rather than a single open world, or even more linear design.

>scale
getting the scale right is really important, and it changes based on the gameplay and setting. A city full of 100 houses that can't be accessed can be as bad as an imperial capitol with 10 buildings

>smart geography and goal placement
the world needs to be designed in such a way that the character isn't being forced to travel back and forward over its entire breadth all the time unless they have a fun and fast way of traveling in game. Fast traveling should be almost entirely avoided, its a crutch for lazy world design.

>living world
doesn't matter if its dynamic or heavily scripted, open worlds, more so than any other, really need to sell that the player is inhabiting a living breathing world. A huge part of the appeal of open worlds is the ability to freely roam and explore, and if nothings happening people arent going to want to do that
>>
>>322812605

We stop fucking making them. It's literally not possible to make an open world that's big enough to feel truly open while also having enough interesting (INTERESTING) content spread throughout it that you're never falling asleep at the wheel.
>>
>>322816424
Yes. Holy shit, how do you not know the most basic thing about it?
>>
>>322823727
I never played it.
>>
I always say a good size to scope ratio: put in quality content and side missions/activities relative to the world itself.

If you make the world massive and don't fill it with anything substantial besides useless collectibles, then what the fuck is the point?

That, and don't have a billion people designing it and have no flow or quality. Watch_Dogs and most of the AC suffers from this tremendously.
>>
Open world as a concept is awesome the problem is hardly anyone bothers to fill it up with unique content, its either barren or filled with copy paste mmo quests
>>
Are there any open world space games that capture the desolate emptiness of space?
>>
>>322816459
Who the fuck are you? Who the fuck do you think you are? What kind of an humongous faggot posts "\thread"? What, you think your little shitty opinion is so fucking good that as soon as you agree with someone, you might as well declare the discussion as being over? You think your word is final in all matters? I'll fucking find you, kid. I'll fucking find which fucking basement you dwell upon, I'll make it my life's purpose to hunt your pathetic carcass to the bitter end, and I swear, kid, you cannot even begin to imagine the suffering I will unleash upon your flesh if I do find you. For the rest of your life you will be looking over your shoulder, cause you will never know, for sure, if today is the last day of your life.

You're fucking dead.
>>
>>322826771
Exploration in Elite: Dangerous does it pretty well, in that it's hours of nothing followed by very little.
>>
>>322815773
witcher 3 was a good game and it had a very well-designed open world, but the open world didn't do as much for the game as the other games you mentioned.
>>
>>322826771
Skyrim
>>
>>322826889
Never fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.
>>
>>322827015
this is accurate
>>
>>322812605
make it so time doesn't stand still and wait for you to advance the story
>>
>>322812605
Make it narrative focused like RDR or gameplay focused like MGSV
>>
>>322813898
Soooo basically fallout NV with no broken builds
>>
>>322812605
Level design

Make it more maze like rather than a desert
>>
>>322815452
In space sims the whole point is that you'll really never meet anyone except near points of interest (planets/stars/stations/fleets that have gathered and stand still for long time/asteroid belts).

Hence you need very quick travel between those points of interest, so that the 99.99% of nothingness doesn't really matter. E.g. Eve Online.
>>
>>322813987
Gothic handled it really well actually, yeah.
>>
>>322815773
i dont think any gta game did it well. their "emergent gameplay" and unpredictability get old fast because there isnt any systematic interaction going on. also all missions are heavily scripted and require only reflex, braindead otherwise.
new vegas has the best systematic interaction but too boring on the visual and combat.
gothic 1 2 and risen 1 strike all the right chord.
arx fatalis too, but magic is quite crap.
anybody know about ultima underworld?
divinity os 2 is the most promising open world of 2016 and after that? underworld ascension.
>>
>>322827018
Yeah, the open world was very beautiful, but that's about it. I had no problem with the corridor-ness of Witcher 1 and 2.
>>
>>322827682
any bethesda game after oblivion? :^)
>>
>>322827102

Piling on; you sound like a faggot.
>>
Full interiors for all buildings and no two interiors are too alike to one another. GTAV has a big nice looking open world but fuck all to do in it and every shop is a copy paste job.
>>
File: open world design.png (21KB, 1170x766px) Image search: [Google]
open world design.png
21KB, 1170x766px
>>
>>322829123
looks like you want oblivion
>>
>>322826889
this is a good post
>>
>>322829123
Majora's Mask?
>>
>>322829123
GTA V dropped the ball on this regard super hard.
>>
>>322828140
Agree about GTA, no matter how inpressive their open worlds look and feel, they really don't use them to their full potential in mission design. You could put all those car chases in linear tracks and shootouts on closed arenas, and the missions would play out exactly the same.
>>
>>322812605
More actual things to do.
Having an open world is less important than having an interactive world.
>>
Leave them to Rockstar.
>>
Games like MGSV used the term open world wrong and gave the wrong impression. It really was just seamless areas. While the term is technically correct, the popular definition of it is different and more akin to like what GTA usually does.
>>
>>322812605
what the hell where is her head?
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.