[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I play through MGS4? Or should I just watch the cutscenes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: MGS4_PS3_2D_FOB_jpg_jpgcopy[1].jpg (290KB, 650x751px) Image search: [Google]
MGS4_PS3_2D_FOB_jpg_jpgcopy[1].jpg
290KB, 650x751px
Should I play through MGS4? Or should I just watch the cutscenes? Or read a plot synopsis.
>>
>>322779643
Gameplay is pretty fine.

act 3 sucks ass though.

dont be a nigger and play it
>>
Play it, what the fuck? Why wouldn't you want to play through the epic conclusion to Solid Snake's story?
>>
>>322779643
Why would you freely play the worst MGS ever made?
>>
>>322779643
just watch the cutscenes on youtube, this game is absolute trash
>>
I assume you played the previous entries right?

Then you owe yourself a blind and unspoiled playthrough unaffected by others' opinions. Its not perfect, when looking back today, but it is solid, and was groundbreaking back in 2008.

If you haven't invested in the series before, then by all means find a source online.
>>
>>322780626
I've played the previous entries, yeah. I enjoy the series. But im reading its more cutscenes than gameplay so I'm not sure which I'd rather do
>>
>>322780754
If you suffer thru fucking mgs2 and mgs 3 cut scene you can pull thru mgs4
>>
>>322780046
The gameplay is way better than MGS2 and PW.
>>
>>322779643
The game has really good gameplay in some parts, but I don't think it's worth it playing all of it.
>>
>>322779643
>Or should I just watch the cutscenes?

That's literally a meme. If you want a mgs to watch on youtube that's MGS 3, not that it's not good but rather it was made to be cinematic, all the cutscenes are homage/references to movies.

MGS 4 has the best gameplay/cutscene ratio and the best pacing. If you sum them up the cutscenes are really long but the bulk are at the ending of every chapter rather than cut you off every other minute something that happens a tone in mgs 2 & 3. And they are mission briefings, it doesn't make sense to watch them separately from the actual missions. Remember that MGS 4 is the end of the series. It tries to tie everything together. No surprise that there will be a lot of explaining.

The concept of metal gear games are Gene, Meme, Scene, Sense, Peace, Revenge, Race.
>>
>>322780754
Gameplay is split by chapters. There are 5 chapters, or in MGS4's case, "acts". Like Shakespearean acts. In between chapters there are briefings and closures. And because there are openings and closures there is an illusion of a skewed cutscene to gameplay ratio. But there's only as much gameplay to how fast you play the game.
MGS4 actually introduced credits, before MGSV. You do actions in the battlefield, earn cash, buy weapons, find collectables, etc. You can build up an arsenal if you want to extend chapters.

Each act is its own small open world. Like MGS ground zeroes' map except there are 5. And each map has its own way of advancing the story. Chapters 1, 2, and 4 are very open world, and if you played MGS1, you might spend a lot of time in the chapter 4 map.

Chapter 3 is what most anons don't seem to like. Ironically its also the most stealth based mission in all of MGS. You'll see why.

Chapter 5 is the grand conclusion. Everything built up will be closed here. The first boss fight isn't done perfectly though, even if it is a return of something good back in the day.

To me the game actually felt quite short because of a lack of dedicated codec calls. All the codec scenes are pre-rendered CG ones and there are barely any plain audio ones. Like in MGS2 and 3 where you could spend 20 more hours finding more calls. MGS4 doesn't have that, but has cutscenes instead.
>>
>>322781582
>MGS 4 has the best gameplay/cutscene ratio and the best pacing.

This is so fucking wrong.
>>
>>322779643
Play it.
Seriously, it has one of the best gameplays in the series.

>>322780046
That's not MGS2.
>>
>>322781791
>All the codec scenes are pre-rendered CG ones

No, they are live rendered.
>>
File: mgs4 bush.jpg (236KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
mgs4 bush.jpg
236KB, 720x405px
>>322780754
>But im reading its more cutscenes than gameplay so I'm not sure which I'd rather do
It has the EXACT same cutscene:gameplay ratio as MGS2. That is, around 60:40.

The big difference is that unlike MGS2, the #4 has ACTUAL FMVs, not just Codec conversations.
>>
>>322781973
>This is so fucking wrong.

Nope. If you exclude the ending which is 40 mins and by definition doesn't mess with the pacing of the game, MGS 4 has THE BEST pacing & gameplay/cutscene ratio -before GZ and PP.

Fact.
>>
>>322779643
Yes, its one of the most fun games in the series.
>>
>>322782308
I always had a feeling that they looked way better than in-game models in cutscenes. So I thought they were pre-rendered. Maybe the overlaid video filter makes things look better, so I'm willing to admit my long term memory of it isn't perfect.
>>
>>322779643
Yes. It's much better than MGSV.
>>
>>322781010
That doesn't matter when you're constantly being pulled away for shitty 40 minute cutscenes
>>
>>322782764
Ezcept you are wrong, you only get long cutscence at the end of an act or playing act 3, faggot
>>
>>322782764
Yes it does, and you probably forgot the codec calls in the previous games.
They're just as long as the MGS4 cutscenes, but cheaper.
>>
>>322782764
>pulled away
>mission ends

did your mom feed you milk or white paint ?
>>
The story sucks fucking ass and ruins every character so don't even bother to watch it, let alone play it
>>
>>322783229
>24 replies
>13 posters

(you) are being btfo again and again, are you enjoying this ?
>>
File: 1392919506539.jpg (9KB, 379x374px) Image search: [Google]
1392919506539.jpg
9KB, 379x374px
>>322783229
>if the story sucks the game isn't worth playing
>>
play it. if you can't play it watch EvilAJ's big boss play through on youtube. He doesn't skip any codecs or cutscenes and hardly ever talks.
>>
>>322783229
>and ruins every character
Fuck off. Especially Raiden, the ultimate faggot of the series, was completely fixed.
>>
>>322783229
no
>>
>>322779643
It's bad but at least it isn't MGSV.
>>
>>322783982
>It's bad but at least it isn't MGSV.

yeah... how on earth is that useful advice, MGSV has literally god tier gameplay. "hurr durr I didn't like the twist, game sucks." thanks anon.
>>
>>322781582
>MGS 4 has the best gameplay/cutscene ratio
I love MGS4 but this is the worst bullshit you could come with to defend it
MGS4 has roughly 8 hours of cutscenes
>>
Here's the plot synopsis for MGS4

Nanomachines
The Patriots aren't really dead
Dr Madnar comes back from MG2
Nanomachines
Raiden becomes a cyborg ninja
The ending of MGS2 is ruined
The message of MGS2 is ruined
Nanomachines
There is no supernatural stuff in the Metal Gear universe apparently because
Nanomachines
The Patriots are gone
Zero is a bad guy now
Nanomachines
A few key characters die
Nothing exciting happens for 20 hours
Did I mention nanomachines?
>>
>>322779643
The cutscenes are the worst part of the game, I'd actually recommend playing it skipping all the briefing bullshit
>>
Its not so bad desu senpai. If ur a MGS fan iit is definitely a must play especially the end is important.

Ofc it has some very shittty aspects, but it also has really good ones too.

I would just buy a second hand one for like 10-20$.
>>
>>322787259
>The Patriots aren't really dead

Uh, they are dead. AI does not count as living.

MGS2's ending was not that great to begin with,

As for Zero being the bad guy, yeah thats dumb. Not even any real foreshadowing in MGS3. Its like he was just selected at random to be the big bad.
>>
>>322787259
Zero was always meant to be a dickass.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.