[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No, really. Why was Roy chosen over all of these characters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 296
Thread images: 30

File: 1451890669565.png (953KB, 970x556px) Image search: [Google]
1451890669565.png
953KB, 970x556px
No, really.

Why was Roy chosen over all of these characters?
>>
>>322672142
Nintendo wants to push Fire Emblem.
>>
Ice Climbers because of hardware limitations and Snake because Konami can't take their heads out of their asses to sign some paper

No idea about the others though
>>
>Snake
Konami being fuckers
>Young Link
Toon Link basically replaced him
>Ice Climbers
Already confirmed to have been hardware problems with the 3DS
>Pichu
Who gives a shit
>PT
Also likely because of the 3DS, same reason why ZSS/Samus and Zelda/Shiek were split

Wolf doesn't have any reason not to hve been back.
>>
File: 1447164796628.jpg (231KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
1447164796628.jpg
231KB, 720x900px
Smash 4 modding when?

I wanna add Snake and Lyn into Sm4sh:

https://youtu.be/wf7F9W0cW20

I also wanna be able to have One Winged Angel on Midgar and give Cloud better colors.

>Snake, Cloud, and Ryu all in the same game

Shit seriously needs to hurry the fuck up.
>>
>>322672142
I think ultimately, with the limited time and resources they had with Smash's DLC period, Sakurai basically had a criteria for each DLC character, aside from Mewtwo, who they made as a reward for those who owned both versions of the game.

>A cut Melee veteran
>A cut Brawl veteran
>A popular third party newcomer
>A Final Fantasy newcomer
>A newcomer from an upcoming game
>A character from the ballot

Roy was chosen for the Melee character slot and Lucas was chosen over Wolf for the Brawl character slot. Ryu got in as the popular general third party. Many people requested for there to be a FF character in Smash for awhile, and Cloud was the most popular choice. Corrin was chosen as the character from an upcoming game, and obviously Bayonetta came from the ballot.
>>
File: image.png (188KB, 303x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
188KB, 303x445px
>>322673336
>Lyn
Grandpa pls leave.
She'll never be playable.
>>
Cutting off Wolf makes less sense to me honestly. With a new Star Fox coming out this year you'd think they'd push a Star Fox character.
>>
>>322673336
Honestly, even if/when Smash 4 modding takes off, I highly doubt we'd be able to add clone slots. PM only managed to get away with that because Brawl had seven empty slots in its coding, while Smash 4 probably doesn't have any.
>>
>>322673336
looks like shit desu

And I hope Sm4sh modding never happens, they'll just turn it into PM2 which would be Memelee HD
>>
>>322673543
What are you talking about anon?

You do know the P:M devs planned to have her in, and her nearly finished design was leaked alongside Knuckles, Isaac, and Sami, right?

Well, a crew picked up their work where they left off and are finishing 4.0 as it was meant to release. Lyn and Knux are finished, aside from some slight polish here and there. Check the link I posted.

She plays like butter.
>>
File: 1427186649431.png (234KB, 462x555px) Image search: [Google]
1427186649431.png
234KB, 462x555px
>>322673336
>https://youtu.be/wf7F9W0cW20
>1:01 - 1:16
Jesus christ man I have no clue why I'm laughing this hard
>>
File: 1395815600238.png (661KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1395815600238.png
661KB, 960x540px
The only reason Roy got in as DLC is because he is easy to make. All of Roy's animations are taken from Marth's, or slightly altered with the hand positions. But those look awkward. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of criticism of how Roy moves. His standing animations are especially rugged and look incomplete.

Lucas took even less work, because he was literally copy paste from Brawl, just like every other veteran.

I'm still baffled by Roy. The game already comes with one Marth clone at no additional cost. Why spend 5 dollars for another? Fuck Roy, honestly. He's the only character I won't download.
>>
>>322673696
They eventually developed a clone enjine for the modding scene which can add up to 100 characters.

Also, regardless, I'd gladly get rid of Lucina, Dark Pit, Doc Mario and a few others to bring back Snake, IC, and add Lyn.

Plus, the fact that Smash 4 had DLC probably means that adding more slots isn't that hard.

>>322673806
Why?

How does this affect you?

Why does it matter to you if other people wanna rebalance the game? I agree that the PM fanbase is insufferable, but I still enjoyed the product.

Plus, the Brawl modding scene was mire than just PM, and that's also likely not to happen again after the drama from last month.
>>
>>322674551
The clone engine you're talking about, BrawlEx, involves gutting the majority of the rest of the game, in favor of just the basic multiplayer. Not much of a problem, but for the PMDT, they wanted to keep as much of the game intact as possible.
>>
Roy had the most demand of the lost Melee characters

Lucas had the most demand of the lost Brawl characters

Ice Climbers literally impossible for technical reasons

Snake literally impossible for business reasons

Toon Link counts as Young Link
>>
>>322674864
Well, considering Subspace was literally balls, that's fine.

I would gladly cut Smash Tour and the shitty event matches for more characters.

Also, cutting the Miis is three more slots.

Literally, getting rid of the clones, and getting rid of the Miis means you got 6 more slots to play with. If we gut Smash Tour and the Event matches, perhaps 8.

I would do a whole lot with 8 slots.
>>
sakurai is a retarded FEfag (pardon the redundancy)
>>
>>322675481
>Also, cutting the Miis is three more slots.

Not to say I wouldn't be in favor of getting rid of the Miis, but wouldn't that introduce nasty bugs into the Classic Modes? In all Classic runs except for a handful of 3DS games, you fight groups of Miis just before Master Hand.
>>
>>322676167
>implying

Even Sakurai admitted in an interview he thought Corrin was Fire Emblem overkill. Nintendo told him to do it anyway to shill Fates.
>>
>>322676167
Sakurai cares more about Fire Emblem than Pokémon.
>>
>>322675326
>roy had the most demand of the lost melee characters

mewtwo was way higher
>>
>>322676354
corrin aside, roy is the worst addition in the game and it was on him
>>
>>322676548
They already added Mewtwo as a bonus for buying both Smash 3DS and Wii U at that point, so. Mewtwo's had a much bigger legacy than simply just being a character in Melee, so I wouldn't say they added him back just for Melee nostalgia, unlike Roy.
>>
>>322676168
I dunno. What happens when you replace the Brawl alloys with original characters?

I imagine you'd be fighting a bunch of Snakes, Knuckles, and Lyns rather than the usual Gunners, Brawlers, and Swordfighters.
>>
>>322674551
>Why?
Because turning it into Melee is the easy way out, they're most likely just going to copy-paste Melee's physics back and call it a day, no ledge trump, just a single airdodge and shitting on some characters' recoveries just because that's how it was in Melee. You can argue the mechanics I mentioned are bad, but I would prefer to see people trying to fix them rather than flat out removing them.
>>
>>322676687
No that would probably be Dark Pit. Roy is fun and they did a great job updating his design and differentiating him more from Marth, wheras DP is just Pit with some extremely minor changes.
>>
>>322676772
wolf is more popular than roy, I don't see why we got 2 from melee and not from brawl
>>
>>322676687
Wrong. Jigglypuff has been the worst addition to Smash since day 1. She's completely worthless and irrelevant to her own franchise. At least Roy and Corrin are the main characters of their games.
>>
>>322676958
roy is the same shit as marth with different animations, neutral B aside

roy took a lot more dev time than dark pit, and he wasn't extra money
>>
>>322674145
>The only reason Roy got in as DLC is because he is easy to make. All of Roy's animations are taken from Marth's, or slightly altered with the hand positions. But those look awkward. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of criticism of how Roy moves. His standing animations are especially rugged and look incomplete.
Nigga you've clearly never even seen him in action.

>Fuck Roy, honestly. He's the only character I won't download.
ayup.
>>
>>322676961
refer to

>>322673512

Mewtwo was added because he was a character that never should of been cut in the first place. Roy was added because he was popular in Melee and Lucas was added because he was popular in Brawl.
>>
>>322677104
at least jigglypuff is unique
>>
>>322672142
because fans wanted him more
>>
>>322676961
Probably because Melee is put on an untouchable pedestal and Smash 5 could be made my god himself and Meleefags still wouldn't give it a chance, but Brawl gets shit on at every opportunity.
>>
>>322677116
Roy has a completely different playstyle from Marth. Marth is more about spacing with the tipper. Roy's more about getting in your opponent's face due to his sweetspot being located at the hilt of his sword. They don't play alike at all.
>>
>>322676548
and then they put him in, before Roy
>>
>>322673973
>Project C&D
>real Smash
>>
>>322677407
Marth is to Roy as Ryu is to Ken
>>
>>322677378
>Melee is put on an untouchable pedestal
>Brawl gets shit on at every opportunity

Only by rabid tourneyfags, and I really doubt they were a factor in Sakurai's or Nintendo's collective thought processes.

In this particular case, I think they had simply decided to prioritize new blood over veterans for the final three Sm4sh characters.
>>
>>322672142
Because Roy is cooler than all of those characters sans Snake.
>>
They didn't feel like they needed any more pokemon. Snake was not an option.
Ice Climbers were not an option due to the 3DS.
Young Link was deprecated by Toon Link.

The option is then Wolf or Roy...hackurai obviously just prefers fire emblem characters.
>>
>>322677692
>Only by rabid tourneyfags, and I really doubt they were a factor in Sakurai's or Nintendo's collective thought processes.
They're the vocal minority, both among the Japanese and Western playerbases.
>>
File: dlcharacters.png (422KB, 1375x649px) Image search: [Google]
dlcharacters.png
422KB, 1375x649px
>>322677692
I was pretty surprised when we actually ended up with more newcomers than veterans. Most people just expected mostly veterans with one or two newcomers sprinkled in as the DLC lineup.
>>
>>322677751
Wolf is way better than Roy.
>>
>>322672142
Meleebabies who literally never actually played FE6 wanted him back really bad even though he is the worst lord in history and a fuccboi
>>
>>322677407
same shit different spacing
>>
>>322677882
Leaf is arguably more of a shitter if you don't abuse the scrolls.

Also Shadow Dragon Marth.
>>
>>322677857
WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE 7 DLC CHARACTERS? MAKE IT 8 GOD DAMN IT! 7 IS A ODD NUMBER AND IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! FUCK SAKURAI! FUCK SMASH 4! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!
>>
>>322677249
Any character can be unique.
>>
>>322678457
Not Ganondorf.
>>
>Le Roy is a Marth clone because his moves look similar meme

This is a horrible meme, Marth is a spacer and relies on punishes and proper footwork. Roy is a hyper agreesive who relies on heavy pressure and rush down to overwhelming the opponent

The only reason I can give for Wolf to be cut was he was a copy and paste job in Brawl and would have to be reworked from the ground up (look at his moves, majority of them are copiedfrom other fighters due to Wolfs late addition in Brawl)

Its much easier to take Roy and update him than remake Wolf
>>
>>322676931
Well, that might not necessarily happen.

Brawl Minus exists after all, as do many other mods.

Reason PM became so popular is because one, Melee has arguably the best physics in the series, and two, Brawl fucking sucked.

Smash 4 is actually quite good. Though it does need some fixes:

>Melee's air dodge (we can agree it's the best one, though a hybrid is also fine, just as long as you only get one).
>Longer recharge on shields
>Bring back momentum
>Rebalance sone of the characters (Samus mainly, nerf Sheik too)
>the additions of Turbo Mode, All-Star Smash, and 64 Mode would also be nice.
>perhaps bring back Brawl's boss rush mode
>bring back Melee's target test

That aside, it's fine. Smash 4 is a good game.

The rest would be to bring back the vets (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, Snake, the IC), bring back the PM originals (Knux, Lyn, Isaac, and Sami), add better custom moves to all the characters, declone the clones (especially Ganondorf - Bronze Greek God has an awesome mod - add in Black Shadow as the "heavy Falcon, " Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doc need drastic changes too though), add in Bagan's Ridley (?), and just purely cosmetic from there on. More costumes for Cloud, Ryu, and many others. More stages. Etc...

You'd pretty much have the ideal Smash Bros. Game then.
>>
>>322678457
ya but roy isn't
>>
>Young Link

I struggle to call him "cut." Toon is just the more recent and more used version of child Link.

>Squirtle and Ivysaur

They're just not that popular. If demand grows, I'm 100% certain they'll be added again.

>Ice Climbers

Simply the retarded 3DS version. I know for fact they'll be back.

>Snake

Konami going full retard. Nintendo ain't gonna associate with those cunts.

>Wolf

It was him or Lucas. Lucas just had more demand.

>Pichu

Everyone hates him. I'd like him back though.
>>
>>322678575
>The only reason I can give for Wolf to be cut was he was a copy and paste job in Brawl and would have to be reworked from the ground up (look at his moves, majority of them are copiedfrom other fighters due to Wolfs late addition in Brawl)
Lucas.
>>
>>322678575
most people like Smash bros for unique characters, they don't like seeing characters to similar, why do you think people complain about so many sword users?
>>
>>322672142
>Pichu
Literally a joke character that was intentionally made bad.

>Young Link
Toon Link exists

>All Brawl vets
They were in Brawl while Roy hasn't been in since Melee
>>
Why the fuck isn't there a mode where you pick multiple characters and have each one count as a single stock of each character?

They have the basis for it in Smash Tour, why is this not a thing?
>>
All of these characters were very close to becoming playable characters in Smash Bros. Kinda interesting.

Meowth
Balloon Fighter
Urban Champion
Bubbles
Excite Biker
Mach Rider
Ayumi Tachibana
Mew
Toad
Banjo and Kazooie
James Bond
Dixie Kong
Minun & Plusle
Toon Zelda / Tetra
Choir Boys
Chrom
Takamaru
Heihachi Mishima
>>
Both Roy and Mewtwo were only added to Sm4sh to undermine Project M's appeal.
>>
>>322677249
>copies plenty of Kirby's stuff
>unique
>>
Young Link should be replaced by a Pokemon trainer like character, except he changes with masks
of course with there being a Deku, Zora, and Goron forms while Fierce Deity is the special
>>
>>322679001
>copies plenty of kirby's stuff
>jumps and dair
>>
>>322679001
all that matters to people is if the specials are different
>>
File: because.jpg (28KB, 300x500px) Image search: [Google]
because.jpg
28KB, 300x500px
>>322678815
Same reason why stage hazards are disabled in 8-Player Smash but there's no reason to get rid of them completely in traditional Smash matches without morphing the stages into Final Destination clones.
>>
>>322678815
PM has it, it's called All-Star Smash. They got the idea drom MvC. They also have Turbo Mode which is insane, and Retro Mode which makes the game play like Smash 64 with all the new characters, it also changes all the cosmetics to make it look like Smash 64.
>>
>>322679031
You'd need to find a way to make him insta-transform like Corrin or he's useless.
>>
>>322672586

Ice Climbers and snake was the only real loss

Konami is garbage right now

Wolf copy and pasted various character moves for his own

Pichu is shit

Toon Link is a better representative for Young Link, if we have to bring him back, we'll let it be Majora's Mask based, but its not game specifics, as far Zelda representation goes Adult Link counts for both, Toon Link is an entity on his own

Gamefreak is very specific with their representatives, Pokemon Trainer was never coming back, Charizard got lucky cause he's arguably the most popular pokemon in existance that anyone can easily get, even more than Pikachu
>>
>>322678963
I'm not sure. If Project M was at the forefront of their minds, they would have added Wolf back as well, especially after that one PMDT Tweet that basically went "Look! We've got Wolf! Tr4sh doesn't!"
>>
>>322678617
You are missing
>More hitstun
>add a punishment when you air dodge immediately out of hitstun (I.E. tumble)
>>
>>322678168
Actual autism
>>
>>322674551
>>322678617

If by fixing you mean "Change it to Melee"

then no
>>
>>322672836
The others don't matter at all.
>>
File: snage.gif (983KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
snage.gif
983KB, 500x281px
>>322672142
>Snake shoved in the back when he was the only big loss
>>
>>322679093
>skeleton
>altered fsmash
>bair
>altered dsmash

>>322679151
it's disgusting really, especially when they're just 4 moves
>>
>>322678617
Oh add the ability to crouch in a run.
>>
>>322679797
Pokemon Trainer is a bigger loss. That's two characters we don't have any more.
>>
>>322679496
>Wolf copy and pasted various character moves for his own

I love how this is now a thing because some youtube faggot made a video about it, forgetting that many character share the same attack animations.

At least it adds another "shit people don't know what they're talking about".
>>
>>322679802
>it's disgusting really, especially when they're just 4 moves
they're usually the most unique movies of most characters
>>
>>322678658
Lucas has his own moveset not a patchwork of other fighters plus he was a highly requested character and Mother only had one rep after he was cut. Lucas was intended to replace Ness in Melee but Earthbound 64 was cancelled. Lucas has meant to be in Smash for a while now.
>>322678730
They can look similar all they want but the dont play alike so what is the issue?
>>
>>322679970
>they're usually the most unique movies of most characters

pretty sure a support move, a projectile move, a charge move, and an attack that lifts someone upward are pretty basic/standard
>>
>>322679802
kind of reaching, half the cast has a similar dsmash.
>>
File: kermitface.png (48KB, 239x188px) Image search: [Google]
kermitface.png
48KB, 239x188px
>>322679569
>More hitstun

The lack of hitstun isn't really the issue here. Smash 4's hitstun modifier is the same as Brawl...which was the same as Melee.

It's just that the latter games introduced mechanics and balance changes that made combos harder to perform than in Melee. Stuff like more knockback from attacks, attacks themselves having more recovery frames, etc.

Brawl in particular made it so you could airdodge right out of both hitstun AND tumble, and ergo that game had little to no combos to speak of. Smash 4 did away with the latter but kept the former, which is a big reason why combos are more possible to perform in Smash 4 but still not as much as in Melee.
>>
>>322680104
>not a patchwork
yes, keep it coming

what's next, Falcon is a patchwork of Samus and Mario
>>
>>322680104
>They can look similar all they want but the dont play alike so what is the issue?
people would prefer more different over more the same anytime
>>
>>322679642
I didn't say anything about changing it to Melee, jesus fucking christ dude, quit being such an autist.

>>322679569
>More hitstun
I think it's fine desu. Especially for heavy characters like Bowser. The biggest problem is the shieldgrabbing in fact.

Also, Melee's airdodge would severly fuck over Cloud. Just leave it as is, but limit it to one.
>>
File: Portrait_lyn_fe07.png (3KB, 80x76px) Image search: [Google]
Portrait_lyn_fe07.png
3KB, 80x76px
>>322677559
Real smash or not, I'm glad she's playable

I've been waiting since like 2005
>>
>>322679817
Agreed, that's a good one. It would help people do Dsmashes from a run.
>>
>>322680219
The animations are also slower, and the movement is slower, which makes it harder to follow up combos in Smash 4.

I love Brawl Minus' highly rewarding offensive game to balance out the very powerful defensive mechanics. Simply upping the hitstun, hitlag, and shieldstun will DRASTICALLY make the game way more interesting in competitive play.
>>
>>322672142
Because Roy's our boy
>>
File: Roy_Koopa_Super_Mario_Wii.jpg (147KB, 620x594px) Image search: [Google]
Roy_Koopa_Super_Mario_Wii.jpg
147KB, 620x594px
>>322680743
Our boy was already in the game though.
>>
>>322680263
Falcon and Samus share a up tilt.
Not a single move of Mario and Falcon are similar. No not even his up air they function differently

Get mad about that video all you want its true. Wolf made it in very late and so had to borrowmoves from different fighters in order to meet deadlines and unlike Sonic, Sakurai couldn'tjust cover Wolf up with spinning animations.
>>
>>322679537
I can accept that maybe Mewtwo was added for other reasons but I can't think of any other reason they'd waste their time on Roy.
>>
>>322680219
>Smash 4 did away with the latter but kept the former,

made a mistake, it's supposed to be the other way around oops
>>
>>322680901
>up tilt
>skeletons
>the intro two punch
>ftilt
>dtilt
>bair

Wolf definitely uses Fox's skeleton, but again, you're basing it on the video that said "he borrowed Marth's down smash!" when in fact even Link has that. The only "borrowed" move he has is his upsmash and it sure as hell matches more on him than on Sonic.
>>
>>322679797
U U-

U l U_
>>
>>322680720
Smash 4 has more shieldstun than Melee, moves just have more hitlag and less auto cancels more shieldstun would make it like 64.

The hitlag and hitstun is fine in Smash 4, if momentum was still present and characters moved a bit faster the problems would be fixed. No need for wavedash, it was never intended to be used how it was in Melee and Sakurai would had taken it out if he didnt mistakenly believe it would be harmless
>>
>>322681634
I happen to like 64 a lot.
>>
>>322672142
sakurai likes to play favorites for fucks sake dark pitt and lucina were in the game at launch
>>
>>322681182
Who are you comparing? Falcon shares no bair with Mario or Samus, nor a dtilt, nor a ftilt. Nor a jab, falcon auto combos with his, mario doea standard knockback and Samus' is shit and isnt safe.

I havent used Wolf in a while and off the top of my head he shares more than a up smash, like Diddy's not Marth's dair
>>
>>322682180
Except many people have that d-air.

I was thinking of 64 for the bair but Dtilt and Ftilt are definitely Samus (those legs). As for the jab I am talking about the starter two punches. It's essentially a faster Samus that proceeds into a multipunch.
>>
>>322681952
64 is a unique experience that should be its own thing. They play so many stocks because you die so fast due to the insane amounts of hitlag allowing too many combos and shieldstun making them break way to easily
>>
>>322672142

Honestly if you told me this was all that would be cut in Smash 4 before I knew the roster I'd be happy.

Cutting Wolf makes no sense though.
>>
>>322682748
I'd have preferred Fox+Wolf over Fox+Falco but Falco has more vet points
>>
>>322682491
Most characters have that generic kick as a ftilt however. Diddy (and mii fighter another patch work fighter) is the only one who brings his hands together and smashes them directly dowward in that fashion no one else. Samus' 'one two' is useless as it isnt safe and can be shielded after the first strike, Falcon locks you into a autocombo how is that similar?
>>
File: 1434944185334.png (678KB, 500x806px) Image search: [Google]
1434944185334.png
678KB, 500x806px
>mfw I liked Roy more than Marth in Melee
>mfw he came back more powerful than Marth
>mfw Marth-fags got BTFO
>>
Please remember that sakurai said Bayonetta is the last "newcomer". That doesn't mean vets can't return.
>>
>>322677407
>implying Marth can space with that butterknife of his
Marth is straight up awful in Sm4sh. He's meant to space out characters with no fucking range. Meanwhile Roy is 90% sweet spots and easy kills.

I mean, what you posted is MEANT to be the case but in practice it really isn't
>>
>>322680174

half the cast has a fucking counter at this point
>>
File: 1321288356891.jpg (25KB, 615x438px) Image search: [Google]
1321288356891.jpg
25KB, 615x438px
>>322683286
as a marth main in melee and brawl, i was already pretty salty about marth's sm4sh iteration being gutted, but the sodium content got exponentially greater when roy returned super beefed up
>>
>>322676354
It wasn't Nintendo. It was Namco. They said he'd make up for it with his moveset. Blame Namco.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

>"I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character".
>>
>>322683195
Weird, I remember another character doing that beside Wolf. And even then, Wolf uses his claws rather than a pummel.

As for Falcon, like I said, only the first two hits are taken from Samus altered to be faster.

And let's look at the stuff Wolf only has.

The fsmash for instance is unique to him. Same with the ftilt. I'd argue no one had a combo nair. I don't think another person has his uair (no, different from Jiggs), even his claw swipes are unique.
>>
>>322680104
>They can look similar all they want but the dont play alike so what is the issue?
Smash is about the characters. Gameplay hasn't been the focus since Melee. And when the characters look similar or play similarly or are from franchises that most people don't care about it's hard to get excited. Who gives a shit about Corrin with his gimmicks and mechanics when most people don't care about Fire Emblem, let alone a FE game that isn't even out? If mechanics and shit are so exciting in new characters why does Sm4sh get a pass for having such slow gameplay?

Hell, Corrin was added for promotional purposes. Except FE Fates is gonna get a bunch of advertizing like Awakening did and will have word of mouth. Why not fucking promote a game that could use it if you're gonna add some character no-one knows?

Everything about his inclusion stinks if you're not part of the minority who cares about FE and enjoys playing characters whose game aren't even out yet.
>>
File: K Rool.jpg (51KB, 740x340px) Image search: [Google]
K Rool.jpg
51KB, 740x340px
>Nintendo puts in characters nobody wants like Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta and Corrin instead of characters everyone wants like K. Rool, Krystal, Wolf and Shovel Knight.
>>
>>322672142
>Young link
Already have toon link
>Pokemon
Plz god no
>snake
Konami being shitters i guess
>ice climbers
Sakurai probably just doesn't wanna work on them
>wolf
Under developed character that has 1-2 sentences of dialogue in most games he's in. One of which is always "i can't let you do that star fox". Shouldn't have even been in brawl.

Ice climbers or snake would have been the best veterans they could have brought back instead of Roy, but I'll remind you that Roy was put in Melee to promote his up coming game.
>>
>>322684187
>nobody wanted cloud, ryu, bayonetta
>non-spergs care about k.rool, krystal, wolf
>shovel knight ever a real possibility
>>
>>322684187
I get Corrin, but nobody wanted Cloud, Ryu or Bayonetta? Are you fucking serious? And why the hell would anyone rather have a furfag clone over brand new characters?
>>
>>322684326
>Pokémon
>Plz god no
And yet Fire Emblem has the same number of characters as Pokémon.
>>
>>322675481
Since DLC is actually a thing in Wii U, they probably can do a "fake dlc" to actually add the characters to the game without erasing anything.
>>
>>322683962
You do realize that FE is huge in Japan, that this is a Japanese game and naturally will pander to Japan often with FE characters of a game that is out in Japan. It serves a duel purpose of marketing the game in the West yes.

>I dont like the gameplay so therefore the gameplay isnt important

Smash 4 does not get a pass for its gameplay and is criticised often are you new?
>>
>>322684187
>no one wanted Cloud, Ryu, And Bayo
This is why I'm glad you K Rool and indiefags got BTFO
>>
>>322684735
I'm not saying i agree with that but neither should have more then 4
All pokemon needs is Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo and greninja or jiggly
Fire emblem should have Ike, Marth, corrin and robin.
Sakurai needs to stop being biased or step down
>>
>>322677559
Who cares? It's real enough.
>>
>>322685218
Pokémon is Nintendo's second most popular series. You can't seriously expect something like Donkey Kong or Metroid to get the same level of treatment as such a giant, right?
>>
>>322685218
I think it's less of bias and moreso of padding.

>implying he added Lucina for some special reason outside of being roster filler.

Same with Dark Shit except he made him different with the final smash which just a rehash of Zelda's.

Roy got in for his Melee fanboys and nothing else.

Corrin is the real legitimate issue people have and even then it's what FE fans wanted, an transformation Makakete dragon. Problem is Corrin is a fuccboi in his games.
>>
>>322684992
>You do realize that FE is huge in Japan
It really isn't. FE12 not getting localized literally nearly killed the franchise, and this was in spite of the fact they remade Marth's games (the safest possible option in existence, mind you) to make up for the poor sales of the Radiant games. Awakening is the first game to make any sizable impact saleswise.

>>322685456
>Donkey Kong
>not huge
DK has multiple million selling games. Even the fucking port of DKCR got over a million sales, it did nearly as well as Awakening. A fucking Wii port of DK matched the swansong of the entire FE series.
>>
>>322672142
And charizard...
CHARIZARD?!!! REALLY
>>
>>322672142
Snake only got in because of Kojima
Young Link was replaced by Toon Link
Ice Climbers were cut for technical limitations
Pichu was an unpopular joke clone character who brought nothing to the table. And Gamefreak is a pain in the ass to work with.
Red, Ivysaur and Squirtle were cut because transformations were cut, Sakurai decided that they didn't warrent individual spots, and Gamefreak probably doesn't want to advertise them.
Wolf because he's less popular than Roy.
>>
>>322684326
>Under developed character that has 1-2 sentences of dialogue in most games he's in. One of which is always "i can't let you do that star fox". Shouldn't have even been in brawl.

Last I checked Wolf has more than two dialogues in 64 and even has long cutscenes in Assault.
>>
>>322677378
>and Meleefags still wouldn't give it a chance

I'm not sure where you get this idea from. Don't you think all of us have played every Smash fairly extensively? I put over 1500 hours into unmodded Brawl. Melee is still a much better game.
>>
>>322685657
anyone who says "favoritism" towards DP and Lucina are idiots since he did say they were last minute shit

see: Melee clones
>>
>playing Shiek for the first time after sticking with the big slow guys since I started playing
>>
>>322685943
Everyone had a ton of dialogue in assault and in 64 his dialogue consisted of what, nooooo and maybe a few taunts.
As much as i hate her Krystal would have been a better option.
>>
>>322686295
And yet he was more substantial in Assault than Krystal despite not being in the team.

As for 64, yes, but then again no one did have much dialogue in that game.

In other words, yYour waifu is shit.
>>
because sakurai is biased toward FE
>>
>>322685765
If you think DK is as huge as Pokémon, you are fucking delusional as hell.
>>
>>322686470
>having a waifu
>2016 + 4 days
The star fox team had tons of dialogue in 64 if you actually played it.
Krystal did more than wolf did in assault even if all she did was whine bitch and complain
>>
>>322686730
You can take away Krystal and nothing changes in Assault. You take away Wolf (or his team) and plenty of things in Assault would be screwed.

And yes I have, they're mostly cheesy one-liners. They have no substantial dialog.
>>
>>322684187
>no one wanted Bayo
>won the popular vote after filtering impossible choices
>>
File: 1449268377684.webm (2MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1449268377684.webm
2MB, 854x480px
>>322684187
>Nintendo puts in characters nobody wants like Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta

>instead of characters everyone wants like K. Rool, Krystal, Wolf and Shovel Knight.
>>
>>322678617
This desu
>>
>>322686069
Plus they were lazier clones than most others.

Even Dr. Mario had effort put into him. Nobody cares about those characters because they are pretty much the worst versions of Marth/Pit.

They are alts made into fighters because they didn't have enough time to finish ICs and just added in 3 characters for the sake of padding up the roster. Ain't like Dark Shit and Lucina ruin the roster when there are still unique characters in the game like Megaman, Shulk and Duck Hunt
>>
>>322687043
Exactly.

Though I guess there would be less rage when they are alts than characters.
>>
>>322686867
If you take away wolf and his team not much changes.
Falco would have swooped down in cornaria and you would have done the dumb I'm a plasma cannon thing with him.
Star fox 64 had a lot more than cheesy one liners. Unless you are talking about everyone who isn't fox, falco or peppy.
>>
>>322672142
A N I M E
N
I
M
E
S W O R D M A N
W
O
R
D
M
A
N
>>
>>322687714
>nothing changes
>except for the things that change

also Wolf had more scenes than that, come on anon at least try when you shitpost

and yes, their lines are all cheesy oneliners, or are you saying that those unimportant briefings are worth mentioning?
>>
File: 250px-Roy_SSB4[1].png (65KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Roy_SSB4[1].png
65KB, 250x250px
>fe fags will try to defend his inclusion
>>
>>322688335
>upset about roy's inclusion as an optional dlc fighter
>not lucina
>>
File: 48920389_p0.jpg (89KB, 800x1002px) Image search: [Google]
48920389_p0.jpg
89KB, 800x1002px
Would /v/ be mad if one of Iggly or Wiggly got into 5mash in addition to Jiggly? Remember Pichu was a thing.
>>
>>322688335
Roy's fine, or at least he would be if girl Marth wasnt already there

She's the main problem I have.
>>
>>322688335

What is there to defend? I like his character design and 4 dollars to extend the life of a game I'd already spent well over 100 hours playing seemed fair to me

The roster felt complete at launch anyway, I felt. The DLC characters are just a nice bonus
>>
>>322688540
never said that, both are trash

lucina was in the base game as an alt, roy used up more dev time/resources and was extra money
>>
>>322688163
>change is minuscule at best
The other times star wolf shows up the do nothing but fly around.
If you are going to unironically call me a shitposter then at least bring something to the table beside say no you're wrong.
>>
>>322688598
wiggly yes

to hell with baby pokemon though
>>
>>322688836
Igglybuff, Cleffa, Togepi and Happiny are pretty cute to be honest.
>>
>>322688598
>Igglybuff

Only if it's such a joke character that an uncharged F-Smash from Mario can kill it at 20%
>>
>>322689029
i don't give a shit baby pokemon are garbage
>>
>>322688540
Lucina is from a game that
- Got a western release
- Protagonist from the most popular Fire Emblem at time.

Surely she is a better pick than the promotional character to a fairly unpopular Fire Emblem entry in which he wasn't even that good of character in it.

The biggest portion of Roy's fanbase hasn't even touched his original game and if they did, they would quickly realize 7 is a much better game anyway.
>>
File: 54365846_p0.png (2MB, 1618x1690px) Image search: [Google]
54365846_p0.png
2MB, 1618x1690px
>>322688686
i just hope both are dropped by the next smash and we can keep the more unique anime swordsmen like robin and corrin. this is coming from a huge fe fag. fe fighting game fucking when
>>
Squirtle was great.

I want Squirtle back.
>>
>>322688772
>miniscule

except for the fact that it affirms Wolf's stance on the whole invasion

also

>responsible for telling where Pigma is
>saves you a missile from hitting Orbital Gate
>holds off the enemies for you to take on Aparoid Queen
>that gay line that made Fox defeat the Queen
>>
>>322689171
I for one have no problem with Lucina as a character. Quite the opposite -- I was elated when she was announced for Sm4sh.

I just didn't think she'd be a 1:1 N64 Luigi-tier clone of Marth.
>>
>>322689171
you know, doe smashfags even play the games of some of the characters
>>
>>322689249
robin is dumb too, he's just a big walking gimmick

the only unique sword fighters are shulk and corrin but corrin's moveset is like half swords

oh and metaknight is unique if you count him as a swordsman
>>
>>322689171

Some of the characters in Smash are relevant BECAUSE of Smash though, not even necessarily their game of origin

Who the fuck cared about Captain Falcon or Ice Climbers before Smash?
>>
>>322688598
Jigglypuff is literally only in the game because she is a 64 vet and she only got in that because Sakurai needed more characters and semi-cloning Kirby was easy with her. Had she been cut in Melee she'd been removed by now. Pichu happened because again Sakurai needed more characters was very short on time so cloning Pikachu into his brand new pre-evo worked plus it marketed Gold Silver and Crystal more.
>>
File: Jingle Jingle motherfucker.png (40KB, 800x453px) Image search: [Google]
Jingle Jingle motherfucker.png
40KB, 800x453px
>>322689132
The only one that really isn't a waste of time is Togepi as it isn't the pre-evo of an earlier Pokemon and you can just view it as the first in a standard 3-pokemon line with its evos. Also you don't really find wild Togetics/kisses.

>>322689289
I want him and Ivysaur back. They were my niggas.
>>
>>322689485
Same could be said about jiggly.
Jiggs was only popular because it was in the anime and hasn't been seen in forever.
>>
wolf was the too obvious choice

>That's just what they'll be expecting us to do
>>
>>322689469
As unique as Robin is, insofar as Fire Emblem reps in Smash are unique, s/he'll be the first to go in a theoretical 5mash because of the whole "Flavor of the Month" thing. Robin won't have a fanbase that puts him/her on a pedestal just because s/he happened to be in the right Smash game at the right time, as with Roy.
>>
>>322685657
meleefags dont give a shit about roy though
>>
>>322689640
Man I want Klefki in Smash just for shenanigans.
>>
>>322689737
Weren't you flavorfags already BTFO'd by Ike being in this game?
>>
Fire Emblem characters for Mario Kart when?
>>
>>322672142
He's our boy
>>
>>322690016
Pretty sure Ike had two games of his own, one of them being on Gamecube.
>>
>>322672142
Becuase Roy is our boy!

Also op is a fag
>>
>>322690016
OK, I'll concede that point. I love Ike, but I was and still am very surprised he made it to Sm4sh.
>>
>>322672142
the only good ones there are snake, wolf, and ICs, and snake has a reason to be gone
>>
>>322690016
ike is a pretty big FE character, he's in multiple games and popular

robin is almost certainly going to get cut, he's a self insert

had fates came out earlier we would have just gotten corrin, even then corrin will probably get cut too but IDK if he's a self insert or not awakening was so fucking bad I stopped playing FE
>>
>>322689450
I played path of radiance as a kid but could never beat it because I'm literally trash at strategy games.
I try to learn a lot about Ike. The more i learn the more i like him
>>
>>322679220
Retro mode?! I have 3.6 and have never seen this
>>
>>322672142
I think you mean Corrin.
>>
>>322690213
Corrin is also a self-insert.
>>
>>322690127
The point is people were using "flavor of the month" as some sort of modifier.

I remember Sm4sh roster speculation and you got faggots thinking Lucario won't come back because he's "flavor of the month" and "will suffer the same fate as Mewtwo".

>>322690213
Yeah see you in Smash 5 when Robin comes back.

And no they're not self-insert. Robin has a distinct personality despite being customizable.
>>
>>322690301
How about fuck 'em both
>>
Lucas only got back in because he would have been really quick & easy to make, hell a few of his moves were already in the game as customs

Wolf would have required a bit more work, despite being more unique + upcoming Star Fox game + actually been released in the West + Smash 4 needs villains so badly, but fuck that it's extra work so Lucas it is

Roy needs no explanation, at this point it's obvious Sakurai heavily favours Fire Emblem
>>
>>322690313
then RIP

lucina will probably be back because she's easy as shit to make with marth's framework, marth and ike will be back

roy is unsure because while he has a legacy in smash now, he easily had the most backlash of the DLC characters

fire emblem whatever new protag will be in
>>
Man, I never thought I'd be butthurt about Wolf not being included. I just figured he was such a given.

If he'd been included, it'd be:

4 vets
4 newcomers

Which I'm totally okay with.

Corrin is the only shit DLC character, imo.
>>
is My Unit the worst thing to happen to FIre Emblem? It infuriated me in Heroes of Light and Shadow

>It's Fire Emblem 3 but Marth is YOUR sidekick and YOU are the hero!!
>>
>>322690518
what? wolf's moves are fox's customs
>>
>>322690542
I'm still sour about Wolf not being in but Bayonetta coming in soothes the pain.

Though to be honest I was half expecting her riding a Wolfen before jumping towards Pit.
>>
>>322672142
>Why was Roy chosen over all these characters

>Snake is a stupid overhyped character that nobody really played and nobody was good with him anyways

>Fanbase constantly bitched as hard as they could for Roy in Brawl and didn't get it

>No point in bulbasaur or squirtle as they'd be pokemon clones

>No point in Young Link because Toon Link and YL is just smaller model of normal link anyway and hasnt been a young link like that since OOT

>pokemon trainer
Why would you want him in?

>Wolf the Fox / Falco clone
>>
>>322690213
I would rather them cut Ike & Roy since Corrin & Robin are unique

But Smash 5 will have all of them plus a few more, 10+ FE characters for Smash 5 if Sakurai is still at the helm, while still only 2 DK & Metroid characters, because fuck you
>>
>>322690391
>I remember Sm4sh roster speculation and you got faggots thinking Lucario won't come back because he's "flavor of the month"
These people are retarded since Lucario, by that time, had been incredibly popular for years and still is, ever since the release of D/P.
>>
>>322690542
you meant to type roy right?
>>
>>322690632
Outside of Wolf Flash (and even then, it's not the same Wolf Flash), no.
>>
>>322690552
But Marth was the Hero of 12. Chris was not a Mary-Sue meme unit like Robin.
>>
>>322690740
im pretty sure fox has all wolf's specials unless I'm forgetting incorrectly because fuck grinding for customs
>>
File: 51512176_p2_master1200.jpg (108KB, 488x700px) Image search: [Google]
51512176_p2_master1200.jpg
108KB, 488x700px
>all this corrin hate

he was just unfortunately timed. had roy and lucina been excluded and he wasnt one of the last reveals he wouldve been better received and people would see him as more than "another fe anime sword man"
>>
>>322690542
I don't know man.
I'm still salty about Bayonetta
I'll play around with her and corrin and see if i like them but I'm still salty as fuck.
>>
>>322690726
Maybe if he was announced after Corrin.
>>
>>322672142
To be a proxy for Chrom. If you look at Chrom's animations in Awakening and compare them to Roy's revamped attacks, they're very similar.

Given Sakurai's comments, it's likely that he put some effort or at least thought into a moveset for Chrom before deciding on Robin instead. Then, given that he seemed to think that the roster was essentially the final product, he just decided "Well, I couldn't just put another generic anime sword user in the game and have people pay for that, but I kind of want to use these ideas rather than let them go to waste, so basically people can take it if they want or leave it if they don't."

That's my guess, anyway.
>>
>>322690749

I might be misremembering it, but I recall plenty of moments where Marth deferred to the player character in the narrative which began to rub me the wrong way

I didn't actually finish the campaign but this seemed prevalent during the time I did spend with the game.
>>
>>322690920
still, as a character corrin is way better than roy
>>
FYI Toon Link was almost cut in Brawl, so young link has zero chance of coming back, in fact Toon Link might be cut in Smash 5, surprised he was even in 4, i guess because of Wind Waker HD?
>>
>>322690705
>this post
>>
>>322689895
Me too.
I was hoping he'd be a PokeBall or in the Kalos stage.

Klefki is probably the most memorable Gen6 Pokemon.
>>
>>322690879
Well, sucks to be him.
>>
>>322690946
Eh Chris isn't really in the main narrative itself, just a quiet subplot with Katarina.
>>
>>322672142

>Snake
Not gonna happen with Konami being cunts

>Ice Climbers
3DS can't handle them, 3DS ruined Smash 4 for everyone in general

>Pichu
A pokemon, Pikachu clone

>Squirtle, Ivy
More Pokemon, we already have enough

>Young Link
Toon Link part 2, Link clones

>Wolf
Only potential one that could have realistically made it in without being a full clone, but we know he was just gonna be the same Brawl Wolf again with very minor changes and the stupid standard down throw up air combo that the entire fucking cast has because this game is shit.

So there you go.
>>
>>322690983
You already played Fates?
>>
>>322691192
>we already have enough
>have enough
>still thinks this means jack fucking shit
>>
>>322691181

Hm, I retract my statement then
>>
>>322690641
>Riding a Wolfen

I can imagine the millions of SAKURAIIIIIIII threads.

>>322690726
No. Roy was fine as a vet over everyone in the pic in the OP besides Snake, Ice Climbers and Wolf. Snake was held back by Konami and Ice Climbers were held back by 3DS.

I still think the 50/50 split of vets to original characters is fair.

>>322690983
As a character sure. As a newcomer over the other possibilities for newcomers? Fuck no.
>>
>>322690861
Nope.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Fox_%28SSB4%29#Special_moves

Despite the description, Wolf Flash lacks the cancel range it had with Wolf, Twisting Fox functions differently from Fire Wolf/Wolf Shoot, the Reflect and Blaster don't have the stuff Wolf has.
>>
Lucina will be reduced to an alt

If there is a starfox game with krystal in it before smash 5 begins you bet she's getting in, if not.. its totally wolf

Inklings will get in if they arent a one time thing

As for FE if there isn't a new protag by the time smash 5 comes out, lyn will be upgraded to replace lyn and the new AT will be Anna

Brought to you by the guy that predicted that

>Indies
>Wolf
>Inklings
>Bdee
>King K Rool

Weren't getting in smash 4 via DLC awhile ago, screencap this.
>>
>>322691127
I'd want it to be playable and fight like someone from Keikkashi.
>>
>>322691476
>if they arent a one time thing
Considering the success of the game and its continued support through additional content, it's probably safe to say they'll be around for at least a little while longer.

>screencap this.
Screencap it yourself fag, I don't know why people always say this.
>>
>>322672142
Roy and Lucas were basically the most requested returning characters (from what I've seen on /v/ at least).

Toon Link replaces Young Link nicely.
Kojima didn't beg for Snake to be in anymore because he was too busy fucking Joost.
Pokemon Trainer was simplified to Charizard.
Wolf was a bit redundant and wasn't popular.
Ice Climbers are too complicated for Samurai.
>>
>>322679626
>Not taking a fucking joke
People like you should be killed off.
>>
File: Jigglymaid.jpg (46KB, 532x360px) Image search: [Google]
Jigglymaid.jpg
46KB, 532x360px
Would /v/ be more OK with Jiggles if she wore a maid outfit?
>>
>>322672836

>Snake
Konami went to shit and Saku and Koji are bros. so it's likely he wouldn't want to hurt his
bros. feeling or some shit, also, I don't want Kiefer "keptyouwitinghuh" Sutherlan to voice him

>Y. Link
It's basically Toon Link now, just less clone-y

>Pichu
Was put in just for 2nd gen hype, easy to put since he was a clone, would be a waste of a slot now unless they did something interesting with him, but I'd rather have a different pokémon.

>The two other pokémon
Relevance? Odd since they weren't clones but I guess they preffered to give Greninja and Metwo the spot, too bad since I liked how those two played.

>Wolf
I have no fucking idea, I really liked him and
he would've been cool to push the new Starfax, seems that daddy sakurai doesn't give a shit.

>IC's
Hardware, but fuck it, why not make them WiiU and let the non NEW 3DS kids suck a cock?
>>
>>322691737
Cause i'm gonna leave the thread and i promised myself i wouldn't get involved in these circlejerks anymore

Just thought i'd drop this here, i'm not doing the whole pre release hype bullshit, had my fill with brawl and 4.

If sakurai and namco are directing 5 you bet it'll go down like this. (also living near NoA has its perks)

Peace out niggers
>>
>>322691997
But Sakurai said Wolf is quite popular.

Also IC can't be made due to constraints.
>>
>>322692093
>Cause i'm gonna leave the thread and i promised myself i wouldn't get involved in these circlejerks anymore
You'll be back anyway, but I'm not sure how that makes you incapable of screencapping your own post.
>>
I don't know what the new handheld for Nintendo is going to be when the next Smash comes around but god damn am I going to be pissed if they pull the equal versions bullshit again.
>>
>>322692226
>But Sakurai said Wolf is quite popular.
Did he?

I doubt he's anywhere near as popular as Lucas and Roy though.
>>
>>322672142
-Snake had no chance of coming back, different times, different Konami
-Pokemon trainer was a character gimmick
-Wolf was fanservice but I think he coulda at least been an assist trophy if not playable
-Ice climbers are gay as fuck and no one wants them except buttdistraught infinite fags. Glad they're dead, they ruined Brawl even further than its gay limited gameplay did.
-Pichu was a novelty addition to melee, never coming back
-Young link was fully replaced by toon link and even if he did come back he'd feel awful due to Smash 4's mechanics and engine. It would be a shallow mockery of what you remember.
-Ivy and squirtle arent coming back, they're replaced by greninja and mewtwo's return. There wouldn't be need for more pokemon than they have now. Yes furfags I realize how many fire fagblem chars there are. Yes it's bullshit but you gotta accept thats how it is.

Please, dont be ridleyfags, accept it and move on.
>>
>>322677378
Most Meleefags agree that Brawl is really good as a party game.

It's the idea that Sakurai changed mechanics to deliberately screw over the most dedicated portion of his fanbase that pisses them off.
>>
>>322692498
Handheld smash is awful in the first place unless you bought their gimmick addition 2nd stick, even then it doesnt use it does it? If it does that's good I guess but fucking still man...

Whatever they do though, I hope they drop the gimmicks and super weak hardware/badscreens and just make another god fucking damn gameboy. DS was gimmick casualization central, 3DS fell dead in the water without great titles. GBA was the last truly great Nintendo handheld
>>
File: 1232213.jpg (19KB, 217x320px) Image search: [Google]
1232213.jpg
19KB, 217x320px
>>322673973
i'm pretty sure they specifically asked people not to do this to avoid legal issues
>people still continue to work on the game anyway
>>
>>322672142
Fire Emblem is Sakurai's favorite game series and he feels bad about how he protrayed Roy in melee
>>
>>322693432
you do realize GB is also weak right? like your whole statement is full of contradictions and shit

and it does use the second stick
>>
>>322692690
He did, more popular than Krystal and he is familiar with the character.
>>
>>322693774
Gameboy brand butthead. Gameboy is a brand, I'm not asking them to bring back the old handheld, are you retarded? I'm asking them to abandon dualscreen/touchscreen gimmick faggotry and focus on having decent handheld quality hardware again so the games on it feel good again. I can tell I'm playing a gimmick when I hold the DS/3DS.
>>
>>322693946
that's what I mean you dipshit, the GB is quite weak to the other unpopular brands, and it pales in comparison to Wonderswan and Neo Geo Pocket.

>also shitting on DS
>>
>>322692498
I imagine Smash 4 was oj 3Ds as well because Nintendo wanted it to sell as much as possible and the Wii U is dead so another platform means more software sales.

I can only imagine how much better 4 would had been if it was only on Wii U.
>>
>>322694096
A handheld brand that sold more than DS and 3DS is weak? You're a fucking casual delusional gimmick fuccboi.
>>
>>322694137
Well we might have had all that content on one game. Oh, and Ice Climbers.

I really don't understand why Sakurai was so intent on the games having the same roster when literally everything else was different.
>>
>>322693432
New 3DS is pretty good, should have been what the 3DS was from the start

2nd analog (close enough) & ZR/ZL headtracking makes 3D actually good, better hardware for Wii/Gamecube ports, IPS screen (well half of them?)

Only issue is micro sd card is behind the cover, how the fuck did that get past testing
>>
>remove ice climbers, one of the most unique characters
>add 3 fire emblem clones
well memed sakurai
>>
>>322694240
he's talking about processing power you fucking retard
>>
>>322672142
Get over it
>>
>>322694240
now I know I'm talking to a shitposter or an idiot
>>
>>322672142
Ice Climbers didn't return because of hardware limitations ont he 3DS. Also, because Nintendo executives not prioritize 3DS Smash FAR ABOVE the Wii U Smash, for many reasons.
For those that do not know:

1. Iwata wanted Smash to be 3DS exclusive. It was Sakurai's idea to make two smash games instead of just one.

2. During a Q&A, the sales of the 3DS Smash have told the shareholders that "Smash has been confirmed to have people willing to buy it on the 3DS. We will keep in mind this valuable information for the future of Smash."

>Everyone complains on how bad Sakurai is for the Smash series.
>Meanwhile, shareholders demand Smash be on 3DS ONLY in the future to maximize profits with its install base.
>Meanwhile, it was the development staff for Smash 4 that recommended adding Corrin, and even when Sakurai was like "isn't that too much fire emblem?", his fucking staff responded with "Its ok, he will be unique!"

Lesson learned, if Sakurai isn't head of the next Smash, its going to be 3DS exclusive, with absolute pandering towards the newer game releases even more when it comes to roster.
>>
>>322672142
>Snake
Konami hates video games now
>Young Link
We already have Toon Link
>Ice Climbers
As Sakurai stated, they'd drop the 3DS framerate below the 60 he wanted it to always be at
>Pichu
Pichu was fucking horrible
>PT
We have enough Pokemon on the roster as is, and Sakurai didnt want any transformations in 4
>Wolf
We don't need more furries. Plus, Lucas had more demand than him.
>>
>>322694286
All that and possible more. The game would probably had a better classic mode for one and better single player content. The gameplay would probably be better as well seeing now that he has more time he is making the game more offensive.

I Imagine Nintendo made that call so people wouldnt assume one version was better than the other and buy them both. People often forget Nintendo does call some shots in their games it snt all Sakurais fault
>>
>>322694987
Well that would make sense, because I'm sure the first thing most people are looking at when they see Smash is the roster.
>>
>>322672142
>Snake
Konami. Don't have to say much more than that.

>Pichu
Nobody wants Pichu.

>Young Link
Became Toon Link

>Icies
3DS. Fuck Ice Climbers anyway. Ruined Brawl.

>Wolf, Squirtle, Ivy
Who knows.
>>
File: not fair.png (22KB, 817x833px) Image search: [Google]
not fair.png
22KB, 817x833px
>>322684187
IT'S NOT FAIR
>>
>>322695214
Ice Climbers are the last things wrong with Brawl.
>>
>>322695517
There's a lot of things wrong with Brawl.
Ice Climbers are all of them bundled into two little shits.
>>
>>322695517
>0-death chain grab infinites

As much as i like them thats pretty gay
>>
>>322691264
by character I meant moveset
>>
>>322696115
I guess technically.
>>
>>322672142
>Snake
Konami
>Young Link
replaced
>Pichu
nobody cares
>Ice Climbers
Impossible
>Pokemon Trainer
Impossible and already shitty in Brawl
>Squirtle
not big enough
>Ivysaur
not big enough
>Wolf
boring moveset
>>
>>322695974
Let's be real. You've never been chain grabbed by Ice Climbers before.

You've probably never been chain grabbed by anybody, at that, not that it matters anymore with that shit removed in Smash 4.
>>
>>322673336
>rolling to the edge and getting caught by ganons recovery 3 times in a row
the person playing this is fucking garbage
>>
what the ice climbers because the DS couldn't handle them?
>>
>>322696561
yep

I have a suspicion 8 player also had something to do with it and was likely the nail in the coffin
>>
>>322673806
>memelee
Ok, that's enough.
>>
>>322696450
>>322696450
we are talking about brawl though which is something they can do. It doesn't matter that it never happened to me but it does exist and is used in tournamen
>>
>>322697101
People actually went to Brawl tournaments? God damn.
>>
>>322697101
First of all

>Brawl tourneys
Wat?

Second of all, Ice Climbers, even with their chain grabbing, have never been considered OP or top tier. Maybe high tier, but the chain grabbing wasn't enough to make them unfair since the entire character is pretty much gimped when Nana bites the dust.
>>
>>322672142

Easy clone for maximum profit.
>>
>>322696354
>Not big enough
that's retarded. It's not that they were "not big enough." I'd bet my life more people know Squirtle and Ivysaur than Roy and Lucas. It's really a cost benefit analysis. Squirtle and Ivysaur had original movesets and would need a new down B. Roy and Lucas are clones and are super easy to make. The answer is obvious: clones are more likely to make it to new Smash Bros so long as they are either not replaced or nobody cares about them.
>>
>>322697672
>have never been considered OP or top tier.
They're currently ranked #2, actually.
>>
>>322672142
least shit out of these
>>
>>322678052
The Light Sword compared to the Rapier automatically makes Leaf far better than Roy and the fact that all the caps are 20, making Leaf hitting caps in certain stats and being useful, even without scrolls, a realistic goal. Also don't forget about the movement growth in FE5.
>>
Why do they keep adding more and more literally who anime characters with each iteration of smash?
>>
File: 1420999257900.jpg (5KB, 161x195px) Image search: [Google]
1420999257900.jpg
5KB, 161x195px
>>322673336
>lynfags
you're no better than lucinafags
>>
>>322697351
>>322697672
It had majors and plenty of regionals. Xanadu recently picked it back up. The overall Smash community recognize that Brawl isnt very good but its not hated on like it is only o /v/ and a few stream monsters on smashboards

IC is 2 in Brawl right now. And is still top ten in Melee was higher but lack of results and the difficulty of them dropped them to B Tier
>>
>>322698486
>Xanadu recently picked it back up.
GOML2 is also going to have Brawl.
Genesis 3 has a brawl invitational IIRC, Smash Con had and is going to have Brawl as well.
>>
>>322696354
>wolf
>boring moveset
>most unique clone in the series

vs.

>roy
>literally a third marth with some animation differences

>lucas
>more similar to ness than wolf is to fox

plus fox's base moveset is more fun than marth's or ness's
>>
>>322672142
hardware limitations of the 3ds
>>
>>322698796
>fox's base moveset is more fun than marth's or ness's
Fuck that, Ness' moveset is way more fun.
>>
>>322697981
Not to mention you get to use promoted Leaf for twice as many chapters compared to promoted Roy. Leaf gets a good 8-9 chapters promoted, while Roy gets 4, two of which being the easiest fucking chapters in the game. Sword of Seals is a good weapon, but compared to the Light Sword with only 20 fucking uses and again, used in 2 of the easiest chapters in the game, Roy has dick all. He is essentially a shitty weight you have to guide to the throw through the midgame chapters
>>
>>322699145
The Binding Blade being so ridiculously OP was the game's way of apologizing for making Roy such a shitter.
>>
>>322698639
Brawl might not be the greatest game for comp play but its has plenty of near character tech so i can appreciate it being played sans meta knight. I dont understand why /v/ memes about it like its universally hated
>>
>>322699638
>/v/ memes about it like its universally hated
How so?
>>
>>322699935
Go make a Brawl thread it well before Smash 4 gets flooded with Tripping, muh wavedash, muh melee tech, on so on. The smash threads prior to 4 was nothing but meleefags shitting on Brawl non stop like they do with 4 now
>>
>>322700772
I don't think meleefags should be considered representative of /v/.
>>
File: Pichu_SSBM.jpg (19KB, 200x266px) Image search: [Google]
Pichu_SSBM.jpg
19KB, 200x266px
Because roy was popular and some people liked him more than marth

I do wish my old main came back so i could humiliate FG shitters and tourneyfags online
>>
File: Mind Is Going A Mile A Minute.gif (525KB, 490x368px) Image search: [Google]
Mind Is Going A Mile A Minute.gif
525KB, 490x368px
>>322672142
It's honestly bullshit Roy was selected when Lucina was already there.

I get Snake, I get Ice Climbers, I get Pichu. I kinda get Young Link, even though Roy has the same amount of logic behind the pick. But Ivysaur and Squirtle both had original movesets.

I fucking loved Squirtle.
>>
>>322672142
Because nobody cares
>>
>>322699638
MK is horrendously broken, but he's fun to play and play against at least. Can't say the same for icies.
>>
>>322701721
Royfags probably cried more, and Sakurai eventually couldn't stand the humiliatng sight and scent of their ruined diapers.
>>
>>322673336
What?
>>
File: SSJMSSJ.png (397KB, 792x528px) Image search: [Google]
SSJMSSJ.png
397KB, 792x528px
Should Kowashitai-guy be in 5mash with his Final Smash being him going Super Saiyan Marth?
>>
>>322672142
Komani is dead
Starfox is dead
3 Links?
Pokemon get swapped by new generations.
Ice Climbers can't work on 3DS
>>
>>322702342
>3 Links?
I honestly don't see how thats different than 3 Marths. Not that I'd want a third Link that doesn't have different weapons, but its the same kind of logic.
>>
>>322683286
>This is what shitters actually believe
He has worse approach options than marth (btheir biggest flaw), with trash aerials and has to approach far more, due to his kill power coming from close range.
Spamming f-smash may work against friends, but it's not a reliable kill option anywhere else
>>
>>322704731
Roy is much better than Marth.

Roy can space much better than Marth can and has throw followups. His neutral game in general is better than Marth's and that's the main part of Smash 4.
>>
>>322705608
>Roy can space much better than Marth
no he can't. His aerials are trash, with the exception of nair. Try tipper f-airing someone and you'll get punished. His f-tilt and jab have worse range and again, you get punished for spacing.
Against Marth, Roys will struggle, simply because marth's disjoints are bigger, and he barely any kill setups compared to marth
http://smashboards.com/threads/marth-lucina-roy-match-up-thread.427319/#post-20690447

The only significant advantages Roy have are being quicker, having a stronger counter and having a faster falling speed. Against slower defensive characters, he'll definitely shine compared to marth (Ganondorf gets murdered by Roy), but will fail horrendously at the spacing game, simply because of how he gets punished for tippers. Roy is supposed to play as a semi-rushdown character. But bad approaches make his offence severely limited.
Thread posts: 296
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.