[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boss music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

File: Bloodborne™_20151214193648.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne™_20151214193648.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
When writing music for the boss do the composers/performers get briefed on the lore and setting and such?
Or are they just given a general idea?

>so this guy is just fucking invincible
>okay so this little girl with an axe will be fighting a giant centipede that crawls on a tower
>this guy is a legendary hero that got turned into a weird horse monster
>alright so this bossfight is like sad
>>
File: 1444049337025.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1444049337025.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
Living Failure's ost is fucking amazing though, they really did a good job matching the ost with the boss's theme, just suits them so well.

I didn't liked Maria's theme that much, but Ludwig was really good too. His 1st phase music signifies the horror that is the beast, then the 2nd phase feels more like signifies how badass he was when he was a hunter.
>>
wish I knew
>>
>>322660113
usually the composer knows exactly what they're composing for and work with the project director to get the right music composed

unfortunately for bloodborne it meant babby's first generic choir and chaotic orchestra notes
>>
>>322660113
>>322661721
*also, something with a lower budget or a project where themes aren't as important might just give the composer vague ideas like "ice level"

it'd work out for games like Mario Tennis where whimsical music is really all that's required
>>
Did we ever find out what the thing was at the bottom of the sea that goes plip plop and drives people crazy? Was that Kos?
>>
>>322661721
Dunno about generic, the ramp up when switching phases in Bloodborne is really well done and adds a lot of tension to the battle

I can associate many themes with the bosses, compared to other generic orchestra notes
Though that might be due to the fact that I've beaten them way too many times
>>
>>322662298
I call it kosm.
>>
>>322662298
The "thing" that goes plip plop WAS the sea

A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea.
Accepting of all that there is and can be.
>>
>>322660113
https://youtu.be/NHIkUzmNmc0
>>
>>322661721
There were multiple composers. You definitely feel the differences coming from some of the western composers in relation the east.
West
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaoyKECQnPw
East
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PajtbXEK9cc

These are the two best pieces in the base game. You cannot debate this
>>
yo OP how'd you get the living lmao into the clocktower?
>>
>>322663264
Can just sometimes happen

If you kill the boss right as a new one is spawning, with perfect timing, it can leave that one alive
>>
File: tumblr_o03ov3UK2Y1qgthdfo9_1280.jpg (523KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o03ov3UK2Y1qgthdfo9_1280.jpg
523KB, 1000x667px
>Bloodborne has an amazing OST
>You almost never hear it since most of the bosses are screaming REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the entire time
>>
>>322663431
First time I saw this webm I thought there was a emote secret similar to Make contact.
I sat there for too long to be honest..
>>
>>322663574
Turn the music up and the effects down a bit. Come on anon.
>>
File: 1449865146843.png (225KB, 1305x908px) Image search: [Google]
1449865146843.png
225KB, 1305x908px
>>322663574
>not setting up music above Voice and Sound effects
>>
>>322661721
epic bait
>>
>>322662298
>>322662717
great volumes of water serve as a bulwark that guards sleep, and an augur of the eldritch truth. overcome this limitation, and seek what is yours.

the Sea blocks the eldritch truth, they were trying to get the patients in the research hall to punch through this barrier with their bloated heads
>>
>>322662901
I'm baffled at how they can sing that. Not because their range or notes are impressive, but how the hell do they even know the words they're saying, or how to pronounce them or something?
>>
>>322665131
I think it's latin
>>
>>322664228
Yeah, it is the eldrich truth and might not ever be understood by human minds, but it is clear that the ocean is the beginning and end of all things in the world of Yharnam
>>
>>322662901
wish every developer recorded these soundtrack sessions as well as voice acting sessions
it's really entertaining to watch
>>
>>322665517
Yeah the Pate one for DaS2 was pretty neat
>>
>>322665623
Never watched any DaS2 one. Mind linking it?
I've only ever seen the DaS1 bits of voice acting recording and Witcher 3's OST recording
>>
>>322662483
>>322664087
it's not bait, it's just generic
souls music has never really stood out
>>322663029
if the video wasn't plastered with Bloodborne I'd have literally no idea it was Bloodborne music

it could be from literally any grimdark RPG or even Lord of the Rings-wannabes

it's just not at all impressive to listen to and it's not very interesting, either.
>>
>>322663029
Ebrietas music is shit, I don't get why people like it. Cleric Beast and Ludwig are the best ones.
>>
>>322665337
the sea isn't the eldritch truth. the sea prevents you from seeing the eldritch truth
>>
>>322666145
Wasn't clear there but yes, that's what I meant

Whatever is in/behind the ocean is the truth that people seek
>>
>>322666145
>>322665337
>>322664228

Huh, I just thought it was a poor mistranslation from japanese, and what they were meaning to say was "lake" instead of "sea" which would simply imply that Rom was guarding the truth.
>>
>>322666431
it goes back to how Lovecraft originally described the eldritch truth in his works:

the universe is like a vast ocean, and we're floating on it's surface. gaze down, and you see nothing but inky blackness. however, once you dive in and descend, the whole place opens up and you can see forever. to see more exotic things, you must dive deeper and deeper. the eldritch truth is like objects at the bottom of the ocean. you must dive all the way down, for the ocean itself hides them completely from your view.
>>
>>322666949
I really hope that FROM makes more DLC that continues the lovecraft shit.

For example, the end of the final DLC reveals the eldritch truth, and it's so absurdly abstract that it basically means nothing at all. You find the blind insane god that dreamed up the universe, and it just looks like True Allant at the end of DeS
>>
>>322668341
there will be no more bb dlc, and no bb 2
>>
>>322668341
Nah, won't be any more

Also, they didn't quite reveal it since the eldrich truth is still hidden by the sea
The Orphan was simply the cause of the nightmare, which is also in some way tied to Gehrman
>>
>>322668667
fuck you for reminding me
>>
>>322668884
>the orphan was the cause of the nightmare
it was the cause of the HUNTERS nightmare. it has nothing to do with the hunter's dream, and the nightmare of mensis
>it was tied to gehrman
gehrman was probably involved in the violation of the fishing village, so he's responsible for the events that led to the hunter's nightmare formation
>>
>>322665869

It's stupidity like this I will never understand.

The same could be said for practically any song in any genre, I'm not sure why that counts against it. But please, show me a piece of melodramatics or OST that you couldn't just slam into other media.

As a professional cellist and violist I actually thought they did a good job with the overcooked Gothic opera, but I assume that's because I have a discernible taste for subtlely while you have a clumsy palette.
>>
>>322669196
subtlety? it's not very subtly gothic
bloodborne music is well arranged and performed but it's just bland
apparently thinking it's not very special means i have a 'clumsy palette' (what the fuck does that even mean?)
i don't understand the praise for bloodborne's soundtrack when it's just yet another OST trying way too hard to be epic instead of just letting it speak for itself
>>
>>322669196
Not that anon, but even if he is being a bit hostile about this, it's just taste, that's it

For me, for example, all death metal sounds the same and any "amazing" death metal piece is thus generic to me in that genre. The same for kpop or jpop
This can be the same for anyone with any genre
>>
>>322669618
>not very special
>yet another OST trying way too hard to be epic instead of speaking for itself
holy buzzwords! please supply what you consider to be "good music" if you're so great
>>
>>322663029
Amelia and Gehrman faggot.
>>
>>322665253
I wonder if anyone has translated it
>>
person who made sif boss theme in dark souls knew exactly what they were after
>>
>>322669808
it's not any less generic, but I prefer a lot of music from Monster Hunter where they don't rely on choir to make it big

not to mention a lot of the music in monhun is thematically appropriate according to the monster - now, bloodborne music is technically appropriate for the setting but I feel like it could have been done with a lot more soul instead of the snore fest that it is
>>
>>322670187
Hope it's actual lyrics, and not the "AH EH OH AH" of the DaS2 tracks
>>
>>322661721
how the fuck is it generic, you aspie

i'm just glad it isn't chiptunes or electronic garbage
>>
>>322670285
>using a choir in your music is inherently bad
well then
>>
>>322670327
chiptunes are fine, autist
I prefer orchestras over electronic music but it's generic because half of the music is drowned in choir.
I'm not an expert in musical terminology, so I'd have trouble explaining the specifics, but the sound gets exceptionally repetitive especially if you listen to a lot of soundtracks like I do
>>
>>322670285
I hate souls music and MH is even worse. They just add a bunch of shitty tribal drums and that fucking godawful guitar on that wolf theme.
>>
>>322670447
it's very rarely used in a way that stirs anything in me
>>322670562
I don't like the Zinogre theme very much either
The tribal drums are used because of the setting - rock drums wouldn't work very well

besides, you hear a lot of classic orchestra percussion in monhun music most of the time instead
>>
>>322670562
>I hate souls music and MH is even worse
What kind of music do you even like?
>>
>>322660113
I couldn't really get into Dark Souls, would I like Bloodborne?
>>
One thing we know about the development of the abortion that was FFXIV 1.0 is that Nobuo Uematsu only had still images/concept art to work with when composing. It was implied that this was really unusual for him.

I think it's probably fairly standard for a composer who's working on a boss theme to know a little bit about the boss's character, the mood the devs want to set for the fight, and maybe how the boss actually looks in motion.
>>
>>322670696
i'm 90% convinced that you have literally no idea what you're talking about. BB uses keys, chord progressions, and instrument/choir combinations that are very distinct against the backdrop of "generic" orchestral soundtracks. you want generic choir? go check out vanilla das2's ost.
>>
>>322670926
It's faster and a little bit more linear (still a fair few secrets to find though)

What were your general issues with darksouls?
Fundamentally it's the same style of game.
>>
>>322670926
>I have shit taste, is my taste good enough to like BB?
No.
>>
>>322670939
>how the boss actually looks in motion
That's especially important
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9cFG6Zg4Ro

Notice how the theme sort of compliments the erratic, chameleon-like movements of the monster (I don't think the video I linked is very high quality but I can't be assed to find something better)

>>322671109
DaS2's ost was definitely worse than Bloodborne's by a mile

I already said that technically, I have no idea how to describe what I'm talking about to you, since 90% what I know about music is just self taught

Bloodborne's music concentrates on being chaotic and beast-like, which is great I guess, but the result isn't anything I'd write home about

I'm still trying to put my finger on why exactly I fall asleep listening to it, but the way the choir is used is definitely a factor (that's easy for me to point out because I hear it so much)
>>
>>322670926
Depends why you couldn't get into it

BB is a very different game but with very similar mechanics, so it's hard to say

You need to be a lot more aggressive in BB than in DaS, and it's just a faster game in general
>>
File: 1451797968955.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1451797968955.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>322670926
It's Souls, but with a bigger focus on mobility and an arguably more interesting setting.
If you already have a PS4, check it out.
>>
>>322671591
>Notice how the theme sort of compliments the erratic
Not at all
I literally have no idea what you are even talking about since it really can be used for any monster
To me personally that reminded me more of a Muramasa Rebirth OST but a bit less japanese styled, so from my perspective it's also generic japanese music with a mix of jungle styled music
>>
>>322672217
I didn't say Monster Hunter was any less generic, I was just using it as an example of why seeing the boss in motion is especially important for composers, didn't mean to imply Chameleos' music was something amazing

If you ever played MonHun, Chameleos has animations very reminiscent of actual chameleons (taking a step, shaking back and forth for a moment, taking another) and then suddenly darting forwards

It's the use of the pizzicato/piano that compliment it for me
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.