[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what was so good about it? I haven't played it, so I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg (118KB, 700x640px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg
118KB, 700x640px
So what was so good about it? I haven't played it, so I don't know if it's just nostalgiafags or if it's a good game.
>>
>>322619484
It didn't do anything wrong
>>
>>322619484
Why don't you play it and find out, you dimwit? Or, alternatively, why don't you ignore it?
>>
>>322619484
It's a simple RPG with an interesting cast and a neat gimmick. Fairly easy.
>>
Good pacing. Good locations. Good music.
>>
>>322619484
Well a good way to find out is by actually you know, play the game.
>>
paced well with a concise story
easy
flat and largely irrelevant cast of protagonists
nice graphics and animations
great ost

it's a solid game but doesn't do anything extraordinary, great if you bare in mind it's intended for elementary schoolers
>>
>>322619484
Chrono is godtier, play it.
>>
>>322619484
I stopped playing right after red haired Goku died because I lost my save.

How far through the game did I get?
>>
>>322620014

in the ocean palace isn't it? pretty close, not much left to do aside from getting ultimate weapons and reviving chrono which are both optional otherwise it's straight to the end game
>>
>>322620014
You're in the Endgame. You can do sidequests for every character or you can try fighting Lavos.
>>
>>322619654
>>322619778
>>322619945
I am going to play it, I just wanted to hear what /v/ thinks about it, I don't want my expectations coming from the general internet so much.
>>
>>322620014
You can bring him back
>>
>>322619484

>amazing graphics and OST
>original plot about time travel
>tons of personality into the character like frog and robo
>lots of cool little touch (like a whole scene where you get attacked every time you make a noise... that includes the noise coming from save points)
>battle system is simple but quick and functional
>bosses all have their own gimmick and strategies
>designed by hironobu sakaguchi, written by yuji horii, music by nobuo uematsu and yasunori mistuda, literaly had THE MOST important people ever when it came to jrpg

i'd argue after FF7, chrono trigger is the second most important jrpg to be ever made
>>
played it recently, combat is boring as fuck and not challenging

turn-based combat done wrong
>>
>>322621131
>i'd argue after FF7, chrono trigger is the second most important jrpg to be ever made

what did ff7 influence? legend of dragoon? chrono trigger itself is a fusion of elements from final fantasy, dragon quest and secret of mana
>>
>>322620384
But you want /v/'s opinion? Fuck off dude you don't deserve to play Chrono Trigger
>>
>>322619567
this
>>
>>322619484

as someone who plays it at least once a year, I couldn't recommend it more. A SNES game with 13 different endings, diverse characters which all act vastly differently in combat.

IMO it was truely ahead of it's time and revolutionized RPGs. Somethings it did, are still done in modern RPGs today.

10/10 WOULD RECOMMEND
>>
>>322621131
>i'd argue after FF7, chrono trigger is the second most important jrpg to be ever made
you spelled Dragon Quest wrong
>>
>>322621280
While I agree it isn't challenging I don't see how it is a bad turn based. Its similar to a lot of others with the added bonus of combo attacks.
>>
>>322621464

FF7 made jrpg popular as fuck, why do you think they are ruining FF7 with a remake instead of chrono trigger?
>>
>>322621535
>A SNES game with 13 different endings

misleading, there's only one ending first play through, all other endings being joke or hypothetical endings in new game+ with the unlocking criterion being "backtrack to the end of time / leene square after every major plot event and fight lavos"
>>
>>322621486
>guy doesn't deserve to play a generic anime JRPG with above average production values for the time
>only because he looked for opinions different to what he's seen

Holy shit anon, your mom doesn't deserve my dick anymore.
>>
>>322621754
most jrpgs have bad turn-based combat, done right it's like XCOM and shit
>>
>>322621698

No one gives a fuck about dragon quest except japanese people and hipster :^)
>>
>>322621781

it is important for localizing many other jrpgs for a few years following it, not really influential
>>
It's an incredibly AVERAGE game.
Sure, it was pretty great at the time, but it aged poorly.
>>
>>322622082
aging is the most beautiful thing something can do.
learn to appreciate the time capturing element of art, or stay salty.
>>
File: 1450290528706.jpg (86KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
1450290528706.jpg
86KB, 1024x575px
It's fun. The music is pleasant to listen to.

It really isn't any more complicated than that, OP. Not sure why you had to make an entire thread for this.
>>
>>322622082

replayed it about a year ago. didn't appreciate / acknowledge / grasp how well the game / plot flows until then.
>>
>>322622206
>aging is the most beautiful thing something can do.
When it ages nicely and has something still fairly unique to it that it does well.
>stay salty
Great comeback, how dare I not think that CT is the greatest game ever, right?
>>
>>322622350
This, I much prefer the hipster circlejerk threads and the AAA dickriding threads myself.
>>
>>322622350
That looks comfy as fuck
>>
>>322619484
It's really good. The main storyline is nicely tied and doesn't try to get confusing or pretentious, and there's some really good shit to do for every character if you want - best thing you might wish from in a jRPG. I think people praised it not only for characters and awesome moments, but also that it didn't try to create some huge and fake world, instead sticking to creating a logical and fun one.
>>
>>322619484
Well, I played it for the first time about 3 years ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are great, it subverts a lot of tropes, the battle system is pretty good especially with double and triple techs. The time traveling is done fairly well. The side content takes some effort and is worthwhile. There are tons of different endings, depending on how you finish the game. My only complaint was that it was a little short, and maybe that Robo is by far the best party member.
>>
>>322619484
It's not that good of a game, literally a baby-tier JRPG.
>>
>>322619484
>each character has interesting and unique mechanics, nice designs (designed by Akira Toriyama), nice background stories (and properly fleshed out),
>different combination of characters will have different combo attacks
>time travel
>multiple endings, even though most endings are just for larks/joke endings
>nice story and pacing
>nice soundtrack/OST
>game designed by JRPG legends - the "Dream Team". Also made by Square when they were still good, and not the Squeenix that they are now
>inspiration/influence of many game devs - almost everyone has played CT, and it shows in some of their games
>can see enemies, so you can choose to avoid some (unlike most FF games where random encounters are unavoidable)
>game mechanics like: "first strike" (if enemy sneaks up behind you, they attack first)
>ATB goodness
>New Game+
>mixed bag of things like Chthulhu, Christian symbolism, post-apoc, 10k BC, "reptilians", etc.
>it was great enough to have inspired people to make sequels of it - Square stopped them though :(

Give it a try.
>>
>>322624446
>each character has interesting and unique mechanics
That typically wind up being useless.

>nice background stories (and properly fleshed out)
Yeah, cause Chrono and Marle were totally fleshed out characters with good background stories.
>>
Played it a couple of months back and if I have to complain about something its that despite access to multiple eras, the actual world is small as fuck. I mean, theres 4 or 5 villages in the whole fucking world.
Also forced encounters in areas youve already beaten got annoying pretty fast
Other than that it was fucking amazing from combat to story

>>322622787
>Robo is by far the best party member.

I thought everyone had a lot of potential to be great, used Marle and Frog most of the time because Haste and aoe full heal + cure made everything easy as fuck
>>
>>322625079
Marle wasnt that bad. Crono's more or less a selfinsert though.
>>
>>322625951
>Marle wasnt that bad
Tomboyish and headstrong princess who wants to see the world outside of the castle.
That's literally her entire character.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.