I was reading about this game recently and it got me interested in looking into how fast multiplayer games "die". Outside of games that are expected to get regular sequels (halo, CoD, etc), multiplayer-only new IPs kinda disappear once they release. Titanfall is another example I can think of. What happened?
titanfall and evolve are prime examples of games stripped so bare boned then nickle and dimed back to the consumer that they have nothing to hold or attract a community outside of first wave buyers and free weekends.
Look at the old wc3 b.net community that lasted 5-8 years strong (mods) and even zombie panic source had a community that stayed strong for almost 3 years (mods). now a days theres so much competition in f2p games, f2p mmo's, f2p AoS's f2p shooters. all these games are fighting to establish themselves an ecosystem that attracts that 10% of buyers who are more profitable apparently then the other 90% of consumers. facebook and mobile games now are huge in this market.
An online community can't compete with shit dlc and nickle and dime tactics unless they can establish a huge playerbase of around 20k-30k active players that persist's past the first month or two. Overwatch might be big enough due to being a blizzard ip, it might just fizzle out and die.
Keep in mind that when cs;go launched it limped on with around 12k-20k that dropped down to a deathly low rate and then as the game began to siphoned off source + 1.6 players + tf2 players (dem economic mind tricks man) the game exploded in popularity and in the span of 2 years had almost 6x its player base...this picture is 1 year old but shows abit of what i'm talking about.
Been playing since release and holy shit is it frustrating. You either get teams of dumb asses who have no idea what they're doing and just wander around like brainless retards not understanding that maybe they should follow the glowing tracks the monster very obviously lays out for you, or you play a game with fucking masters that seem like they might as well be hacking and find the monster within 1 minute and end the game 2 minutes in. I even tried playing the monster myself against the fucks and holy shit you can't even hide from them, they're like bots. I'd use the decoy in a different direction to where I'm going if they start getting near, hide in a bush when I'm invisible until they go away, but it never fucking works. They'd completely ignore it and go balls deep into the god damn bush.
>>322419313 I spent 60 bucks on it. Got like 30 hours out of it. Not the worst deal, it was fun, not amazing but fun while it lasted. If they'd have sold it for 15 bucks and rotated out the monster with a proper cosmetic shop like CS:GO it'd have done amazingly well.
It just wasn't a 60 dollar game. However, at 30 hours of fun before it just died off, I think I got a fair deal.
>>322420250 Iunno man. There's being good and there's "How the fuck did you do that". I've even tried starting out by purposely making tracks going in one direction, but then sneaking the other direction (for those who've never played, the monster gets a head start and sneaking doesn't leave tracks) but the hunters completely fucking ignored the tracks and headed straight for me. They didn't even have maggie or anything to give them a clear idea if the tracks were real or not.
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at email@example.com with the post's information.