[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good game/series? If you had a gun to your head and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: 1425407982685.jpg (76KB, 640x737px) Image search: [Google]
1425407982685.jpg
76KB, 640x737px
Is this a good game/series?

If you had a gun to your head and had to pitch it to someone, what'd you say?
>>
>>322283524
"I've never played it."
>>
>>322283574

You wouldn't impress the gunman.
>>
No takers?
>>
Two brothers fight for control of an island using an avatar kidnapped from our world. The avatar must solve puzzles that give power to one brother or eroid the control of the other.

You assume the role of this avatar, and without explanation of which is the right path, you must simply pick a brother based on first impressions. You can change your did later, but with a great cost.

One brother is greedy, but at first glance and understanding person that wants peace. As time goes on you learn how deep his is evil is.

The other seems angry and violent at first, but you quickly learn that he is only angry because how evil his brother is, And he is really the one that desires peace.

Depending on your choices, the island falls into destruction or renewal, and you return home or stay to on the island, as a prisoner or a savior.
>>
>>322286563
What the fuck are you on about he just wanted to know if the games are good you loon
>>
I found the first one boring because the controls sucked, but that was with realmyst.
>>
File: Gondolascoldnight.png (132KB, 1398x766px) Image search: [Google]
Gondolascoldnight.png
132KB, 1398x766px
>>322286753
I pitched the game.

Did you want a review?
The game is fine for its time,
But the puzzles are require allot of unnecessary fore sight and/or trial and error.

The game goes out of its way to trick you on the story or some of its major puzzles.

Nothing is explained...ever.

If you beat it without a walkthrough, you'll end up insane.

A 7/10 at its time x now is 4/10

Not worth playing
>>
>>322287342

See that's a lot better and a far more informative post.
>>
>>322283524
myst and its successor, riven, are both comfy puzzle games.
>>
Whats the best way to play Myst these days? What versions work on windows 7?
>>
>>322287547
Ask for a review next time faggot
>>
It's pretty nonsensical. You can call that abstract but I call it nonsensical

If it played like Quake then maybe it would be good, but it plays like a slideshow instead of Quake so I don't want that and I think it is not good.

Where is my point and click platformer? Where are you, indie game heroes? Give me my new sub genres like the inventive hipsters on /mu/ do with things like vaporcore and dadrock. It might even be decent.
>>
File: 1443125892128.jpg (95KB, 347x364px) Image search: [Google]
1443125892128.jpg
95KB, 347x364px
Which version of Myst is the best? I want to play it but there are like 3 versions on Steam.

Also do they work on modern machine?
>>
>>322287776
I think only real myst had support still. You can find an unofficial patch for the original slideshow one if you preferred it
>>
Alright, as someone who played Myst on the Sega Saturn, it is okay, but very dated.
As someone who played the realMyst version, it is much better than the original, being able to control where you move makes a massive difference.
Though if you choose to get the game, you might want to get the realMyst Masterpiece Edition, evidently they updated it quite a bit.

However, if you want to play the other games in the series, be warned, none of them were ever remade, in particular the direct sequel Riven, as it has the same controls as the original Myst, and you have to sit through every slideshow movement from place to place.
>>
it's shit
its sequels are shit
don't play them
>>
Riven is probably my favourite game of all time.

All I can say that's bad about it is that there's never been any kind of proper remastered release, so playing it today with a postage stamp sized resolution is a complete disservice
>>
>>322288424
>and you have to sit through every slideshow movement from place to place.

Not true, zip mode lets you leapfrog to locations you've already visited
>>
What are the good point and clicks, /v/

All there is are bullshit games like Peter Gabriel, and buggy Sierra games where there are a dozen ways to lock yourself in a fail state.
>>
>>322289058
Both Syberia are good entries for beginner in the genre. If you prefer 2D check Broken Sword or Beneath a Steel Sky.
>>
>>322289278
I don't know Anon, those first two look bad. Unless they have lots of boobies, that is. I thought I played Beneath a Steel Sky given how much of a freeware champion I am but I haven't okay. Talking about freeware point and clicks, Heroine's Quest is just that. I like the concept of throwing in WRPG stats and skills in a sort of open ended adventure game but the combat is flat and the survival stuff is disgusting.

As far as I'm concerned the best adventure game is Gnocchi (ah, freeware).
>>
>Wanted to play the sequel
>Had to install it in a VM
It was worth it
>>
>>322283524
Myst is great if you love obscure as shit puzzles (Riven is even more obscure) and atmosphere.

If you keep in mind the time it was created, it's pretty fun, but there is zero replayability, unless you just want to wander around and look at everything.

If you are looking for something super amazing, you may want to look elsewhere, but if you enjoy old style adventure games, you'll probably enjoy it.
>>
>>322289058
Don't you mean Gabriel Knight? Peter Gabriel is a singer. Unless that's the characters name...
>>
No it's the most boring game in the existence.
>>
File: image.jpg (99KB, 510x587px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 510x587px
>>322283524
>>
>>322283524
It was at the top of PC sales charts for over two years. No single game has done anything like since and probably never will again.
>>
>>322291769
Yes of course. If Peter Bariel was in it as Bowie is in Omikron then maybe I'd play the games.
>>
>>322288052
Play realMyst: Masterpiece Edition. It should run fine.
>>
>>322289058
The Dig is pretty sweet.
>>
File: myst-86.jpg (79KB, 543x332px) Image search: [Google]
myst-86.jpg
79KB, 543x332px
REMINDER: There's nothing wrong with using a guide to finish this puzzle.
>>
someone post that image of john walker saying myst was shit on rps
>>
File: myst-50.jpg (206KB, 543x332px) Image search: [Google]
myst-50.jpg
206KB, 543x332px
This part was bullshit
>>
Riven only has six puzzles in it.
>>
>>322283524
I didn't play Myst, but I played Riven, which is the sequel and as far as I know it has the same gameplay. It's extremely immersive and that's probably the reason why it was so popular back then. Now, when other anons are saying that the puzzles are obscure, that's the biggest understatement ever.

Obscure doesn't begin to describe it. It's not the usual adventure game thing where you pick an item and have no fucking clue what it does or where a puzzle solution makes no sense unless you're insane. In those games, you can solve it by trying everything on everything. Here, you come across levers and buttons and you activate them and they do clicking sounds but there's no indication of what they're doing or where they're doing it or even if they're doing something at all. I'm not ashamed to admit that I couldn't beat it. I spent most of my playtime going back and forth between the locations I had access to while fiddling with buttons and levers and it almost never resulted in progress. For all I know, most of those were just baby toys strapped to the walls. I've always been tempted to give Myst a try, but I don't think I'd enjoy it.

Pic somewhat related. Riven felt like pressing buttons on that thing, except less fun because the buttons and levers didn't even make animal sounds.
>>
>>322298294
Myst is waaay easier tha riven. Riven is the only one in the series that NEEDS you to have a notebook.
>>
>>322283524

It is a good series, yes.

Though I would say Riven is by far the best in the series.

How would I pitch it? "It's a game set in a universe where you can write a book that will create an Age you can then go to. Through the book"

If that's not interesting the Gunman should shoot me because he has shit taste.
>>
>>322298965
>that will create an Age
They open portals to the age. Infinite ages exist, you just describe one, and gain access to it
>>
>>322298821
I had a notebook. I'm the kind of guy that likes drawing his own maps. I just had no fucking clue what to write on it. If Myst is easier, I might give it a try one day. But I'm not so sure. Most of my game time on Riven was just confused wandering and wasn't very fun.
>>
>>322299371

Yeah you know I actually had a whole section in (brackets) that explained it actually just linked to an existing age but I thought it was kinda autism with somebody pointing a gun at my head.

Thanks for proving me wrong. I'll be more pedantic in the future.
>>
So, how faithful is Real Myst Masterpiece Edition to the original? I looked it up and all I found is that it has new graphics and a new gameplay option where you can freeroam instead of pointing and clicking. Is it good, or should I stick to the original?
>>
File: falling-man-300x260.jpg (11KB, 300x260px) Image search: [Google]
falling-man-300x260.jpg
11KB, 300x260px
I love the myst series on just atmosphere alone. myst is pretty easy mode if you're good on note-taking. riven is still amazing for being one huge puzzle. and it's been like 8 years since i played it but revelations might be the prettiest game i've played.

books are solid too.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.