[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy a Dreamcast, /v/? I have no Sega consoles and it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: Jetsetradiopalboxart.jpg (176KB, 646x650px) Image search: [Google]
Jetsetradiopalboxart.jpg
176KB, 646x650px
Should I buy a Dreamcast, /v/?

I have no Sega consoles and it's the only one I find interesting at the moment.

I don't know of that many games, but please tell me if there are any gems out there, or your experiences with the console.
>>
Fuck yeah you should. It's super easy to pirate for too, so you can have the entire library of good games. JSR, Crazy Taxi, and Shenmue are all really good. Powerstone is a great party game if you have friends to invite over too.
>>
>>273656154
Really? How easy? Like, do I just burn the games on a CD or do I need to chip it?
>>
>>273656154
ONLY if you have a launch model or the one directly after. All others had the ezpirate functionality removed/fixed.

Anyway OP, some good dreamcast games are jet grind radio, as you posted, sonic adventure battle, Skies of Arcadia, Seventh Cross Evolution, Power stone, shenmue (really hit or miss though. don't force yourself through it.), and then the dozens of arcade ports. Most of them are the best ports we'll ever get. hell up until like 2010 they were still using the dreamcast for a ton of games at EVO.
>>
>>273656404
Alright. How's the save function? Does it have a hard drive, or is that little Gameboy thing you put in the controller the memory card?
>>
File: GameCube-Set.jpg (2MB, 3760x2110px) Image search: [Google]
GameCube-Set.jpg
2MB, 3760x2110px
>>273654776
>2001
>buying a dreamcast
>not owning the best console on the market
pic related
>>
>>273656512
That's the VMU, it functions as a memory card and a, like, not quite hand-held. It does have internal storage for some games and their DLC (which you can still get by visiting a few sites), and I believe people have created 3rd arty non VMU memcards though.
>>
>>273656684
>2014
>Have a Gamecube and an Xbox
>>
>>273656381
Almost all dreamcasts can run burned games right out of the box.
>>
Most of the good Dreamcast games got good ports elseware and there's always emulation for everything else
>>
Buying a Dreamcast is a great idea, yeah. You've got classics like Jet Set Radio, Chu Chu Rocket, Shenmue, Shenmue II, Rez, Ikaruga, Puyo Puyo Fever, Crazy Taxi and (arguably) the Sonic Adventure games. That's not even the start of it really, there's so much good stuff on there.

I'd also recommend, just on the discussion of sega games, to get the current humble bundle. It's got NiGHTS which is probably the best game ever in my opinion, Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed which is a great little racing game, and some Dreamcast ports, though they aren't well done (Crazy Taxi for example is missing all the music and the PC version of Sonic Adventure is kind of not great.)
>>
>>273656381
I think there's a few of the later models that have copy protection but there's like a 99% chance you'll get one without it, so yeah just burn some discs.
>>
Yeah, there's a lot of weird unique good games for it. Same with the original xbox
>>
File: Shenmue PAL DC-front.jpg (798KB, 1423x1412px) Image search: [Google]
Shenmue PAL DC-front.jpg
798KB, 1423x1412px
OP here. Is Shenmue good?

I like problem solver adventures like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango and it seems kinda similar in that aspect.
>>
>>273658481
FUCK. YES.
>>
>>273656404
That's an incorrect and way-to-often said piece of misinformation.

First of all, the only ones that "have trouble" with pirated games are the Revision 2s, which came out at the tail end of the DC's lifespan. The vast majority of DCs are all Rev1, which read the discs just fine. Rev0 (launch models) are the best because of build quality, not because they're the only ones that play backups.

And Rev2s just have problems with a certain format of backup file - the ones that are formated as data/audio, rather than data/data. All the high quality DC scene releases are selfboot .cdi data/data anyway.
>>
File: shenmue 3.png (2MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
shenmue 3.png
2MB, 1360x768px
Yes OP. It's probably one of the best consoles ever made, and surprisingly had more Gamecube games in three years than it did in six.

Also, remember to get Skies of Arcadia sans the slow ship battles and high encounter rate it's a fucking fun game and personally my favourite game of all time.

>>273658481

Yes, but you won't be doing detective work, you'll be getting sidetracked by pretty much everything else.
>>
I can't recommend a dreamcast enough. They're plentiful and dirt cheap. Just be careful about buying one. Unlike the really sturdy saturn, dreamcasts are kinda infamous for malfunctioning. When buying one, make sure it doesn't just turn on, but that it can actually READ games and boot them.

It's got a really cool library full of genres that are niche nowadays, like shmups and fighters. I've sunk way too much time into playing MAHVEL BAYBEE and jojo's on that thing. Controller is kinda meh though IMO, I'm considering getting a saturn-to-dreamcast controller converter.
>>
>>273659483

I think you can get a PS1 to DC controller converter but I can't remember where.
>>
File: 256px-ArcadiaDC.png (153KB, 256x261px) Image search: [Google]
256px-ArcadiaDC.png
153KB, 256x261px
Have an RPG.
>>
>>273659483
That said, you don't actually NEED a dreamcast. I'm the type of guy that still has all the consoles from my childhood (and more) so I'm all for using the original hardware when possible, but most of the dreamcast's popular games have been ported elsewhere. I still recommend it (especially since you can burn games without even needing a modchip) but you get my point.
>>
>>273659645
doesn't that have an absolutely retarded encounter rate? I've got the (presumably fixed) GC version so I don't know.
>>
>>273659626
yeah, but the playstation controller is just as meh as the dreamcasts. The saturn controller is god tier, especially for fighting games because of that sweet, sweet d-pad.

I really don't get why sega used such a shitty d-pad for the dreamcast when they had god-tier ones for the genesis and saturn.
>>
>>273659813
I'm one of those who'll do anything to play vidya on their console of origin, and I plan on owning every "modern" video game console.
>>
File: Skies comparison.png (1MB, 1350x534px) Image search: [Google]
Skies comparison.png
1MB, 1350x534px
>>273659645

>tfw shitty pal cover art for Skies

Man, I don't get why we didn't get this one.

>>273659989

It's high for the first disc, then you get an item that makes it lower but only when you fly in the skies, when you fly in caves and stuff you can't use it.
>>
I've always wondered what the dreamcast would've been capable of if it survived the entire generation. I don't think it was *that* much weaker than the PS2, but I have to wonder if it would've been capable graphics almost on par with PS2 games like silent hill 3 or MGS3
>>
>>273660264

It is hard to say, the best looking game it got was Shenmue 2 I'd say, and it didn't handle it quite well, it ran at 20ish frames in a group of people, but it did have some AA from what I've read.

If Sega didn't try to include addons and shit, I'd say it could have possibly done those games but just not as well.

The PS2 could render something like 20 millions pixels to the Dreamcast's 3, but the DC had some advantages over the PS2. It's a pity there aren't a lot of games that came out on both systems that weren't shoddy ports or upgrades.

I would've loved to see a game like MGS2 or 3 being done on a DC though, just to see if it could handle it.
>>
If Sega didn't have bad luck and they changed some of their decisions I have no doubt that the Dreamcast 2 would have been one of the most legendary consoles ever made
>>
>>273661885
What if Sega WOULD release a new console, let's call it Dreamcast 2, what would it be like if it was announced today?
>>
If you are going to pirate the games, write them at a low speed. The DC can read 16x, but your drive will die really quick
>>
File: 1397477484641.jpg (156KB, 501x600px) Image search: [Google]
1397477484641.jpg
156KB, 501x600px
>>273661985

Well, Sega are retarded and Sammy find that they're better off in the position they are in.

But, if they were to create another console and hype it up they would need tons of games, features that the PS4 and Xbox One use and they'd need to make ridiculous numbers sold to be able to make a profit let alone break even.

Sega could pull it off, with luck, actual marketing and trying to tell everyone they're not going to fuck it up like last time and to have faith in them, but if the market don't want it then it will probably sell worse than the Dreamcast.

And SoA and SoJ would also need to actually work together to make the console work in all regions, instead of getting angry at each other for fucking up things they both are responsible for.
>>
>>273661885
If sega didn't have bad luck (or rather, bad business decisions) there wouldn't have been a dreamcast in the first place. The DC was their saving throw after all the botched consoles/addons released during the 90s. It was such a great console because they poured blood sweat and tears into that thing in a last-ditch effort to save the company.

Had they made better decisions earlier (no genesis addons, no botched saturn launch, less complicated hardware), the saturn would've been a hit and we'd be along some completely different path.
>>
>>273662610
That's what I'm thinking aswell. Feels like I'd buy it just to support them, if the games would be meh.
>>
>>273661985
It'd be foolish to make a DC2. They're safely making money as a 3rd party and have no reason to throw away making money on multiplats instead of throwing all their game-eggs in one console-basket. Plus the pool's too crowded anyway and four competing consoles never works out. Adding to this, consoles as we know them are going extinct anyway. It's just not viable.

And if they did release a console, the modern sega is in no way the old sega. The only similarity is the logo. It's not the same people.
>>
>>273662759

Oh yeah, if they could try and live off their fans who want another consoles and then try to build hype during the E3 announcement and build up to E3, make it cheap and give it a Dreamcast release it could potentially do very well.

The problem is that it would be very difficult to sustain that since your first parties are basically Japanese themed and they don't have a lot of fans outside of Japan beyond Sonic, Miku and Football Manager, and if you somehow obtained third parties (which would be difficult if the third parties think the console would fail again) you'd probably get worse numbers than Wii U third parties.

It's hard to say really, but that's what I think.
>>
Does sega even make games anymore? They just seem to publish stuff by outside teams. Only exception being the yearly sanic games.

>tfw no more streets of rage
>tfw no shenmue 3
>tfw no more JSR
>>
File: 1398460937986.png (43KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1398460937986.png
43KB, 645x773px
>>273663585

>tfw one guy tried to make a JSR for Wii but was turned down
>tfw Naganuma would actually want to work on a new JSR
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.