[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obscure Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 19

File: tumblr_msxbl1zFp61r49t3wo1_500.png (323KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msxbl1zFp61r49t3wo1_500.png
323KB, 500x421px
Obscure games that are actually great thread.
I'll start.
Worlds.com
Space Station 13
>>
>I'll start by posting games that everyone and their mother knows about
>>
>>260280895
Look at all the ones you listed, Jackass
>>
SpeedThief
Speedy Eggbert
Crazy Drake
Heavy Metal: FAKK 2
Defiance (1997 version)
Freak Out
Psyvariar

I hope you're happy with the obscurity.
>>
>>260280747
Worlds was amazing to explore. The regulars are probably still sitting in that lobby right now. I won a premium subscription for a year in a trivia contest, but never felt right hanging around them. It's like they're from another time.
>>
>World
>SS13
>Obscure
lel

That said, the Void is great.
>>
Pathologic and The Void.
There is a remake for Pathologic that has been announced and its something worth checking out
>>
>>260285606
>The void
>obscure
kek
>>
>>260286234
A lot of people don't seem to know about it.

Or at least they used to.
>>
Nosferatu Wrath of Malachi
Die by the Sword
FireStarter

I want to try Necromania: Trap of Darkness but I can't find a torrent.
>>
I've been playing Evolution Worlds recently. It's pretty obscure but I remember beating it on the DC and loving it
>>
File: 1407562032405.gif (39KB, 220x250px) Image search: [Google]
1407562032405.gif
39KB, 220x250px
>>260280747
I g-guess these are obscure
>Vib Ribbon
>Mr.Bones
>Intelligent Qube PEEEEERFECT
>Treasures of the Deep
>Dong Dong Never Die
>Einhander
>>
>>260287135

>Vib Ribbon
>Obscure

I'm still fucking pissed off at that E3 presentation. "We all love Vib Ribbon so much! Let's talk about it, show gameplay of it, roll out the creator, but not announce shit to do with it!". What was the fucking point?
>>
No One Can Stop Mr. Domino!
Bust a Groove 1/2
>>
>>260280747
worlds.com
Anyone else play this back when it was worlds 3D chat? Before all the shitty mall and party house areas? The obelisk? the observatory? Glitching through walls to get to secret hiding places? The pond?

I dunno. It was a different time. Simply talking to someone else on the internet in real time was interesting back then.
>>
>>260285649
Ice pick logic is fairly well known now. Still great suggestions.

Doshin the Giant OP.
>>
>>260280747
So what's worlds.com?
>>
Ernie & Bert's undercover adventure
Mavis Beacon's Stripper Typing Tutor
The Typing of the Dead
R Type
>>
>>260289112

Babby's first abandoned online game.
>>
ITT: Old games are obscure, even the mainstream ones.
>>
>>260287135
>Intelligent Qube

My nigga
>>
>>260289474
>The Typing of the Dead
>R Type

No.
>>
>>260290834
The first two are lies.

Try playing the X Mutants for Genesis/Megadrive.
That or B.O.B

You will like them, sorry for lying.
>>
Elona
>>
Black Lamp
Bubble Ghost
Balloon Girl
>>
Bubsy 3D 2: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective

No I'm not fucking around. I legitimately enjoyed playing that game.
>>
Azure Dreams.
That counts, right?
>>
>>260289991
That's how it works anon, popular things fall out of the spotlight and into obscurity.
>>
space funeral
>>
File: Z0037519.jpg (175KB, 1024x896px) Image search: [Google]
Z0037519.jpg
175KB, 1024x896px
>>
>>260294313

'sup Ulillillia
>>
>>260284814
>google SpeedThief
>first result says "Games that suck"

Ok then
>>
>>260293008
And Elona+
>>
>>260280747
Doom
Everquest
Worms
>>
>>260298618
dont you mean?

Uliliiillilililililiilililililililililllillliiiililllllililililiililiilillilililililililililililililililililililllilililllliiilililiilililililiilililililiiilililililllililililililililillllillilillliliiiililiilllilllililiiilililililililililiililililililililillillililiiiilllililililililililililililililiiillilililililiilililililililililllillliiiililllllililililiililiilillilililililililililililililililililililllilililllliiilililiilililililiilililililiiilililililllililililililililillllillilillliliiiililiilllilllililiiilililililililililiililililililililillillililiiiilllilililililililililililililililiiillilililililiilililililililililllillliiiililllllililililiililiilillilililililililililililililililililililllilililllliiilililiilililililiilililililiiilililililllililililililililillllillilillliliiiililiilllilllililiiilililililililililiililililililililillillililiiiilllilililililililililililililililiiillilililililiilililililililililllillliiiililllllililililiililiilillilililililililililililililililililililllilililllliiilililiilililililiilililililiiilililililllililililililililillllillilillliliiiililiilllilllililiiilililililililililiililililililililillillililiiiilllilililililililililililililililiiillilililililiilililililililililllillliiiililllllililililiililiilillilililililililililililililililililililllilililllliiilililiilililililiilililililiiilililililllililililililililillllillilillliliiiililiilllilllililiiilililililililililiililililililililillillililiiiilllilililililililililililililililiiillilililililiilililililililililllillliiiililllllililililiililiilillilililililililililililililililililililllilililllliiilililiilililililiilililililiiilililililllililililililililillllillilillliliiiililiilllilllililiiilililililililililiililililililililillillililiiiilllilililililililililililililililiiillilililililiilililililililililllillliiiililllllililililiililiilillilililililililililililililililililililllililllliia
>>
File: 1408752383315.jpg (27KB, 291x273px) Image search: [Google]
1408752383315.jpg
27KB, 291x273px
>>260298350
>all the wishbones are dead
>>
File: 220px-ZanacBoxArt.jpg (21KB, 220x309px) Image search: [Google]
220px-ZanacBoxArt.jpg
21KB, 220x309px
Zanac. Download the rom today if you can, it was way ahead of its time for a shootemup.
>>
>>260299215
so are all your grandparents
>>
>>260298618
Arururia
This game was pretty good
>>
>>260286416
its a completely different and much shittier game on the cube
>>
ss13 ain't that obscure anymore

also try out crypt worlds if you want a worlds.com feeling but single player
>>
Middens
Sluggh Moors
That one arcade game that was deliberately made as the mind of a psychopath. Cute and fluffy or something along those lines.

>>260280747
Space Station 13 is hardly obscure, OP.
>>
>>260280747
>I heard you were talking shit like I wouldn't find out
>>
Grim Dawn

This game is just full of "cool shit", rewarding exploration with breakable walls leading to hidden dungeons and treasure rooms and shit like that, cool mechanics like monsters being generated holding the same randomly rolled items that you use, and when you kill them they drop the actual item they've been attacking you with for YOU to pick up as loot.

Development is slow as fuck, but at this point it definitely seems like a game worth supporting.
>>
Anchronox? Dunno if it's obscure enough...
>>
Creeper World 3 - RTS where you fight against a spreading grey goo-like thing using a variety of weapon towers and structures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM-SZscFQZ4

AI War: Fleet Command - An RTS where you try to defeat one of the most intelligent and fiendishly difficult video game AI's ever made. Beating it on its hardest setting is considered a bug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLKsKVUZsWc

Gadget Trial - Advance Wars clone featuring cute robot girls blasting the shit out of other slightly less cute robot girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv8qIdqwo94

>>260300803
>multiplayer soon
I'm so fucking moist, been waiting for it to play again since it was "released".
>>
File: Hector_Walking_Arms.jpg (192KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Hector_Walking_Arms.jpg
192KB, 1024x576px
>>260301883
Somehow forgot to mention EDF 2025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GJiYk3Vi0
>>
ITT: not obscure games

Letting a few rest, most games mentioned aren't exactly obscure. Some are even far from it.
>>
File: jesus crust.png (130KB, 288x244px) Image search: [Google]
jesus crust.png
130KB, 288x244px
>>260299029
>doom
>>
>>260302719
practically every game is obscure thanks to the retarded majority of "gamers" who refuse to expand their horizons
>>
DROD series;
Focus by Jesse Venbrux
>>
>>260280747
This isn't obscure but a really great game.
Nitronic Rush
>>
>>260303536
EDF is not obscure.
AI War is not obscure.
SS13 is not osbcure.
The typing of the dead is absolutely not obscure.

That said, with the viscous regurgitation of content by primal recyclers of pop culture it is hard for anything to be obscure. Plenty of games, albeit none of the ones mentioned above, would easily fall under the glass umbrella of obscure if not for individuals such as Pewdiepie, Markiplier and the like desecrating the sanctity of rarity by launching games into the common collective.
>>
>>260306272
In the almost ten years of me browsing /v/, I have never once seen anyone else mention AI War. As for EDF, I'll admit that's pushing the definition, it's really just notably unpopular.
>>
>>260307193
Unpopular is leagues away from obscure.
>>
>>260307251
>20 players online at launch
pretty sure that counts as obscure
>>
>>260307684
It's on fucking steam.
>>
>>
>>260280747

Fucking Worlds man.

Was going to try to reboot the /v/idya archeology society, but my internet is balls so i can't stream worth a shit. someone should organize something.
>>
>>260280747
SS13 isn't obscure, but it's just very niche.
>>
File: pawsdogsimulator-3236.jpg (53KB, 300x283px) Image search: [Google]
pawsdogsimulator-3236.jpg
53KB, 300x283px
anyone?
>>
>>260307823
no it isnt.
Just because something is on steam doesnt mean it isnt obscure. There are plenty of games practically nobody knows about released on steam, especially now since they are hidden under a constant flood of shovelware.
What does a game need to be considered obscure? Do I have to browse the mariana trench of the deep web to find a game in which I'm literally the only person who has played it?
>>
>>260308754
It is on steam, though. And no, steam isn't to the level of aggregation that it drowns other content. Especially not during AI Wars release.

As for what I'd consider obscure:
Up to, but not exceeding, local popularity (this is not the same as niche popularity or general lack of popularity);
Not touched by a known recycler or distributor;
Uncommon platform or distribution circle.
>>
>>260309035
the argument for it being on steam was for EDF 2025. Go back and read through it all
>>
>>260309357
Idem ditto.
>>
File: Exile_3___Ruined_World-204.gif (95KB, 568x426px) Image search: [Google]
Exile_3___Ruined_World-204.gif
95KB, 568x426px
>mfw this based indie dev has kept silent on this whole debacle
>mfw he keeps rereleasing his best games every few years to get them up to date with current OSes
>mfw they're STILL GOOD even after all these years
>>
Otogi 1 and 2 for the Xbox. God I wished Miyazaki green-lights Otogi 3 after he finishes Bloodborne now that he's president.
>>
File: sblevel3.png (424KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
sblevel3.png
424KB, 640x512px
myth
>>
Sentinel
for ps1
bought it for 2 bucks and played it once. 'twas too weird for me
>>
>>260309035
So pretty much just doujinsoft?
I bet you'll tell me something like Elemental Gimmick Gear isn't obscure just because I bought it at Best Buy, even though it's among the most obscure games released in America on Dreamcast
>>
>>260310891
At first I read it as Elemental Gearbolt lol. That's another obscure ass awesome game!
>>
The internet makes it impossible for there to be any obscure games, this thread is proof enough of that. either nobody knows of a game, and thus it would never be posted, or enough people know of it for it to no longer be obscure.
>>
>>260309614
Souce plz
>>
>>260313329
Read the filename
>>
>>260313674
oh.

i will now proceed to kill myself
>>
>>260280747
Will Rock was a good FPS
>>
Ghouls Forest.
>>
File: ????????????.jpg (380KB, 900x1440px) Image search: [Google]
????????????.jpg
380KB, 900x1440px
Dong Dong Never Die
>>
File: Original_War_battle_1280x1024.jpg (994KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Original_War_battle_1280x1024.jpg
994KB, 1280x1024px
>>260316875
Oh i remember that, what a shitty Serious Sam clone that was

Pic related is great forgotten sci-fi RTS/RPG
>>
File: 2632.jpg (111KB, 802x628px) Image search: [Google]
2632.jpg
111KB, 802x628px
>>260318947
This is another obscure game from Czech Republic, it's a fairly good action stealth game in Russia
>>
File: Breakdown.jpg (155KB, 567x717px) Image search: [Google]
Breakdown.jpg
155KB, 567x717px
>>260280747
Raw Danger
DreamWeb
Xenus I & II
Chase the Express
Aconcagua
Yuuyami Doori Tankentai
Pepsiman
Everblue 2
Steambot Chronicles
Aquanaut's Holiday
Afrika
>>
>>260288203
I thought they were going to do a re-release or a sequel.

But I guess they just said it for no reason.
>>
File: wut.jpg (67KB, 697x406px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
67KB, 697x406px
>>260280747
Worlds was, quite frankly, a very odd and unsettling place to visit.

I accidentally stumbled upon it last year and never went back. Here's some of my highlights:

>A lot of the rooms had long been abandoned and couldnt be edited for decor, so you had a whole lot of early 2000s themes and music....but poorly rendered. It was like wandering into a badly-kept museum of naughties pop-culture.

>Also one time I realised I was just being followed around by someone who's avatar was a giant spider wearing a hat. For about an hour straight, didn't speak to me, just followed me around everywhere.

>All those abandoned worlds that were just shrines to Britney Spears and the Spice Girls.

>I seem to remember there also being a woman who's avatar was a woman dressed in bondage gear, Marla I think her name was. Wherever she went this big group of other avatars just followed her around saying Hi Marla...Hi marla Hi marla etc.
>>
File: Rail-Driver-Fire.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Rail-Driver-Fire.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>260322860
Another one I quite like revisiting every now and then is Purefaction (the multiplayer mod for red faction 1)

This too was created around 2003, and theres a good 5000 player created maps still in circulation.

The decor, again, features a lot of naughties pop culture but also a FUCKING HUGE amount of references to the 2003 invasion of iraq. Nearly every player created map has some sort of imagery in the background somewhere. It's unsettling as fuck.

Also the even weirder thing is that the average age on there is about 14.
Im not saying this in a "huuurrrr kids on games are all 14 huurr" way...I literally mean everyone there is honest to god just a kid, they regularly ask you to pls stop saying cuss words and that they have to be in bed. Watching the chat is just ridiculous.... and this game came out before they were born....so how did they come across it and by extension purefaction? It's not like it was particuarly big.
>>
>>260323612
Oh and I forgot to mention...
>5000 maps still in circulation
>Only around 30 regular players left.

>One big series of maps focuses on you being the size of a mouse, running around various rooms in the creators fantasy house....
>>
>>260280747
Why is OP PunPun?
>>
>>260298350
>Featuring award winning dog
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.