[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 27

File: Untitled.png (15KB, 554x563px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
15KB, 554x563px
Well, /v/?
>>
If it's a genre I've played before
Hardest Difficulty
Something new
hard
>>
>>260192564
Depends on the game.
Some games on hard can fuck your shit up.

Normal when new.
Hard when used to the genre.
>>
>>260192564
>Game with good difficulty scaling
Insane
>Game with bulletsponge difficulty scaling
Normal or Hard
>Racing game
Normal, fuck rubberbanding
>Doom
Hard
>>
>>260192705

This anon knows what's up.
>>
hard and up depending on how its handle if they just get more hp then I might keep it on normal/hard but if it's some kind of balance then I will bump it up
>>
Normal 90% of the time
>>
>Genre I'm good at
Hard

>Genre I'm somewhat experience with
Normal, maybe hard

>RTS
Baby mode
>>
>modern games
>having seperate difficulties
>>
Hardest at all times.
Gotta get the most out of the game, learn by doing, adjust later/quit if builshitty balance.
>>
>>260192564
What >>260192705 said.

Only for certain games will I play on normal, primarily rts' because I can't git gud at them. Funny thing is they are my 2nd favorite type of game after crpgs, but I plain suck at them. Way too much turtling
>>
>video games
>>
>>260192564
Normal 90% of the time unless Im told ahead of time that normal is too easy. Games are balanced for normal 99% of the time, harder difficulties are often just enemies do more damage and take less damage which isn't very fun.
>>
Normal because I'm a pussy.
>>
Fuck all of you.

If I never played the game before normal, easy if I'm bad or inexperienced in the genre.

If I am good at the game highest difficulty.
>>
>>260192564
Normal until I unlock whatever character/class I really wanted to play as. Then Hard. If Hard is too easy, then Insane.
>>
>plan on replaying it
Hard
>only want to play through it once
Insane
>>
Normal for my first Playthrough.

Hard for the second.
>>
>game i enjoy or think i'll enjoy
insane
>other games
hard
>>
>>260192958
So much this. Hardest difficulty in racing games always involves cheating bots.
>>
>start with normal
>if the game is good, restart on hard
>if I still like the game when I finish on hard, move up to insane
>>
File: 1358362538969.jpg (581KB, 1152x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1358362538969.jpg
581KB, 1152x1152px
depends on the game
anything that involves tactics : normal
everything else: insane
>>
File: 1396906566273.png (284KB, 416x378px) Image search: [Google]
1396906566273.png
284KB, 416x378px
>Anything thats just blatant fun (sandbox, freeroam, offline shooters)
Normal

>Anything rewarding quick reflexes and fast paced action (Third person action specifically, fighters, even racing)
Hardest I can have

You're really not impressing anybody doing singleplayer bullshit on hardest difficulty. If you're playing a game to have fun then fuck it, do whatever.
>>
>>260193172
>gotta get the most out of the game

sorry, but there are tons of games in which you only get more time but not more fun. And my time is too valuable to waste it on doing the same stuff again and again.
>>
>Game actually makes significant changes between difficulties like giving enemies new moves or improving AI

Insane all the way

>Higher difficulties are just half-assed shit like doubling enemy stats or infinite resources

I'll stick with normal
>>
>>260192564
>does it have achievements worth playing hard/insane on?
if theres a fuck ton of challenges/achievements to get i'll play on hard

if not normal.
>>
>>260192705
This.
>>
>>260192564
Normal.
If I like the game I'd probably replay it on hard.
>>
Normal, because what the game is made for.
>>
>>260192564

Hardest of course, because I'm not a casual.

Exception would be games where the hardest difficulty actually removes parts of the gameplay, like in MGS2 where you get a game over if you get spotted on Extreme, which pretty much means no combat except bosses. That's not fun.
>>
If you've played a previous game in the series or if this is your second time, insane/hardest.
If its my first time, hard.
>>
Normal because I'm not a tryhard who wants to look cool to his friends on /v/.
>>
>>260192564
Used to the genre
>Hard
New to the genre
>Normal

Rpg, used to the genre
>Insane
Rpg, new genre
>Normal
>>
>Content locked difficulties
Hardest available as long as its reasonably doable, ie Kingdom Hearts
>Difficulty is just enemies become harder hitting bullet sponges
Fuck that noise, normal it is
>>
Normal on first playthrough.
Hard on a second run if I really enjoyed it.
Sometimes easy if the game's controls are ass like The Witcher
I'm pretty bad at vidya though so it's alright.
>>
FPS or anything turn based hardest difficulty (unless it has difficulty levels like Civ, then I start somewhere in the middle.) Anything else I usually do normal or hard
>>
File: 1406296396498.png (214KB, 531x497px) Image search: [Google]
1406296396498.png
214KB, 531x497px
>>260193413
I cant play any racing games on a difficulty higher than normal. I have broken way too many controllers and objects getting pissed off playing them.

Fuck your rubberbanding, fuck your perfect cornering, fuck the gamr for placing a pebble on the road that causes me to flip and lose my lead.

Fuck, im getting mad just writing this.
>>
I hate it when games force you to play every difficulty to unlock everything. They should be able to stack depending on the highest completed difficulty.
>>
>>260193905
yeah, the hardest difficulty in Skyrim or Fallout 3 for instance. It's not fun, it doesn't feel more challenging, it just feels more tedious.
>>
File: 1385177690122.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1385177690122.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>260192564
Normal or easy. Hard and insane is usually artificial difficulty. If i want a challenge i play against other players.
>>
>actually doing anything but the hardest available difficulty

top casual. literally NO excuse
>>
>>260192564
Depends on the risk/rewards. Nocturne have fucking Mot so normal on that where Dragon Dogma make it rain gold so hard on that.

Why make the game twice as long for yourself when there is nothing to gain from it beside bragging rights which no one fucking cares about?
>>
If its my first time playing the game, I go with normal. Then I go back and beat the game on every difficulty.
>>
I usually only play console FPS on hard(est) because they're just too easy.
I ragequit at the end of Killzone 2 on elite though.
Fuck Radec.
>>
Honestly I find myself playing most games on easy. I mostly play singleplayer games just to experience the story and explore the world. If I want a challenge I play competitive multiplayer games.
>>
Normal for most things since raising the difficulty results in:

>Enemies becoming bullet sponges
>Shit being tedious and not challenging
>AI cheating in racing and strategy games

I usually play on hardest when it comes to action games and shooters. It really depends on the game.
>>
>>260192564
Normal since most developers are shit at scaling the difficulty. If the game is good enough to replay, I'll replay it on a harder difficulty.
>>
>play game on normal
>later realize half the content is locked away
Well I guess it gives the game some replay value?
>>
Normal for first time. Barely any games do higher difficulty right.
>>
>>260194290
To feel your mastery of the game. The best games make you use everything you've got in your arsenal effectively to win.
>>
>>260194661
>baww it's too hard for my casual fatass
>>
Most of the times, Normal, at least the first playthrough. If it's a game I know (or at least the mechanics) I might start on Hard.
Insane is for the second playthrough.
>>
>>260194017

So you're an autistic manchild and also a casual, is that what you're saying?
>>
I fucking love how Kid Icarus: Uprising tackles difficulty.
They just push you to increase the difficulty a little bit each time.
>>
File: 1408562901090.png (28KB, 335x506px) Image search: [Google]
1408562901090.png
28KB, 335x506px
>>260194892
Yes.
>>
I play the second highest difficulty first.

In OP's example I would play on hard mode.

If the game only had easy/normal/hard I'd play on normal mode.
>>
>>260192915
Easy:
>Normal
See anon, it wasn't that Hard
>>
I prefer playing everything on hard the first time around. The problem is that some games are so buggy and poorly made, that the garbage gameplay mechanics are bigger foes than the enemy AI. Sometimes, the AI is just plain cheap. In these cases, I'll play on normal.

If everything is very well balanced and enjoyable, I'll do subsequent play throughs on the most difficult setting.
>>
Normal if I'm picking up new series. Hard if it's a series I'm familiar with.

Insane difficulty is almost never done right, so I don't pick it even in secondary playthroughs of the same game.
>>
Going for Insane first is fucking stupid no matter how you look at it.
>>
>>260194716
Honestly I never seen a game which I wish to "master". Budokai 3 was the closest but even then it was mostly knowing when to teleport. F-Zero GX had glitches like snaking that destroy your hands after a while so I pass on that.

Know any decent games that is worth mastering?
>>
Hardest mode available. Except fighting games like MGSR or DMC.
>>
Hard unless hard is actually beatable with new game plus gear.
>>
>>260195284
>Not playing old shooters that aren't Doom on the highest difficulty

I can taste the casual.

>>260195339
Serious Sam games are like that for me. They have the best weapon/enemy balance ever so you always have to think how to move, where to shoot, which weapon to use and how many shots you have to fire. It feels great.
>>
I usually just go Hard. Insane tends to be built around everything being stupid and only one build/plan working, or enemies just being damage sponges. Hard is generally like Normal in that you can do whatever, but it's actually a challenge. I can't remember the last time Insane was actually a good time outside of shmups.
>>
>>260195339
Guitar Hero/Rock Band comes to mind.
Feels pretty satisfying when you can play on expert flawlessly.
>>
>>260193938
The Witcher may have bad controls, but the game is still easy as fuck on normal. And that is coming from someone that only played games on easy until 2 years ago.
>>
>>260192564
Hard or above whenever possible. I like it hard
>>
Normal for most titles, since higher difficulty typically means bullet-sponge enemies or harder rubberbanding.

That said, I enjoyed playing the Uncharted series on Crushing difficulty. Headshots or gtfo.
>>
>>260195610
I would play Osu! before one of those games. My friend been bugging me to play it. Thanks for the suggestion though. Forgot I had it downloaded.
>>
>>260195879
>Not iron fisting everything
>>
>playing fallout 3 for the first time
>put difficulty all the way up
>cockroach headbutting me nearly kills me
>eventually get outside
>make way to megaton
>eventually find Them quest (giant ants)
>see ant in distance, sneak and get the drop on him from far away
>75% chance to hit
>MISS
>ant blasts me with two seconds of fire, die
>reload
>set up mine
>explosion does 10% damage to ant
>bullets fucking useless
>get burned again
>reload
>mines and grenades
>kill one giant fire breathing ant
>down to nothing but bullets that don't do shit

OK, so that sucked and was immensely retarded. Right about then, I scaled the difficulty down to about 40-45% and the game was enjoyable from that point on; considering bugs and typical Bethesda retardation.

The enemy AI is fairly mundane in Fallout 3, your biggest enemy is the horribly bad algorithm and damage radius.
>>
File: 1305134287149.jpg (162KB, 554x678px) Image search: [Google]
1305134287149.jpg
162KB, 554x678px
Hard, it's good for a generally challenging playthrough but not an unfair shitfest that most highest difficulties are when they just make enemies soak up bullets like they don't give a fuck, or give them aimbot, or in strategy games they make the enemy start out with like 10 times resources for no good reason, shit like that.
>>
>>260195580
Whoops. I mean only beatable with ng+ gear. KiD comes to kind.
>>
I wish there was a list of games and recommended difficulties for first time play/reasons for that difficulty.
>>
File: Dr Phil.jpg (23KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
Dr Phil.jpg
23KB, 540x304px
>hard difficulty is too easy
>insane difficulty is too hard
>>
>pick easy
only because i like having fun
>>
>>260196506
You clearly don't like gameplay then.
>>
File: 1307576777001.jpg (12KB, 200x189px) Image search: [Google]
1307576777001.jpg
12KB, 200x189px
>pick easy
>game is still insanely difficult
>>
>>260192564
>good scaling, good gameplay
Insane
>good scaling, decent gameplay
Hard
>bad scaling
Normal
>>
Definitely just Normal... No need to make things unnecessarily difficult.
>>
>>260196506
The challenge is fun though. There is nothing like your first time in a game like Dark Souls finishing a part that has been giving you trouble flawlessly. It is the greatest feeling.
>>
>>260192564
Normal. I only play single player game for the comfy factor. If I want some challenge, I'll play competitive games.
>>
>>260196478
>Game's difficulties are Supereasy and Superhard
>They're both hard as fuck.
>>
>>260192564
>game released before 2004
normal

>game released after 2004
hard
>>
File: 2014.jpg (9KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
2014.jpg
9KB, 224x225px
>>260196506
>2011+3
>having fun
>>
>>260192564
Hard is actually the new normal. So I choose that.
>>
Easy. Hard games are for masochists.

i don't care what difficulty people play on but fuck people that think this.
>>
>>260196934
Pretty much this.
Insane if I do a second playthrough (this difficulty is sometimes retarded so I don't want to take risks the first time).
>>
>>260196124
Good luck doing that on crushing. It's either headshots or stealth kills. Anything else puts you in the open which means death.
>>
File: 1409173899315.png (19KB, 554x563px) Image search: [Google]
1409173899315.png
19KB, 554x563px
>>260192564
fixed it for ya OP.
>>
I usually do a quick google search or ask /v/ what difficulty to pick. It's impossible to know which option is best otherwise.
Metro 2033 should be played on Ranger Hardcore and Nier should be played on Normal because Hard just turns the game into a grindfest. No way to know this beforehand, just got to trust the experiences of other people.

Anyway, if I wasn't allowed to look up opinions I'd pick Hard and save Insane for a second playthrough if I liked the game.
>>
Normal the first time to familiarize myself with the mechanics, then hardest.

Racing games always on normal, fucking F-zero memories
>>
>>260192564
It depends on the game. If I'm playing DOOM, it sure as fuck is normal, but if I'm playing Dragon Age, it's the hardest possible while limiting myself with roleplaying choices. I just evaluate the game and choose, most of the time it's hard, though. Insane can be ridiculous at times.
>>
>>260192564
Usually the hardest and if I am stuck I go down to 'hard'
I remember playing Unreal Tournament and be stuck on the same level for weeks until I was fed up and played on a lower dificulty

It was always like this 'I play and get the lead, but then comes the turning point... more deaths than kills... I have a 1 kill lead... I die... shit... its a draw... have to kill... I die again... shit fucking cunt whore bitch arrrrghhh... so fucking close...
>>
File: 1406246717249.png (140KB, 600x546px) Image search: [Google]
1406246717249.png
140KB, 600x546px
>play game
>reading through difficulty descriptions
>the hardest difficulty says "This difficulty is a joke. Feel free to play while drinking."
>>
>>260196696
What is ZoE 2 when I was 14.
>>
I always choose Normal because I actually think the devs will make the game a normal difficulty, but then I get half way through and have to play on the hardest one.
>>
>>260198050
I was actually talking about Ikaruga.
>>
>>260198129

Most games now are tuned around the highest difficulty so it doesn't end up impossible.
>>
>Hard

But then again, I usually get fucked by games like Dragon's Dogma and NIER where hard is meant for NG+ and I get my rectum devastated.
>>
>>260192564

>Hell on Earth
>>
>>260192564
Depends on the game, if its a new strat then normal, fighting game easy, action/rpgs hardest usually
>>
The worst thing is when the difficulty settings of a series are schizophrenic.
I swear to god, MGS2 is harder on Normal than MGS3 on Big Boss.
>>
>>260192564
Always normal. I play video games to have fun, not to get pissed
>>
>>260192564
Always normal. I'm in it for fun, not tedium.
>>
>>260192564
>hard
because anything higher turns into artificial difficulty. Prove me wrong, name a game where it doesn't turn to artificial difficulty
>>
>>260198460
Well MGS3 did change up a lot of shit to make controlling it better.

Sorta like how Monster Hunter 3 is a lot easier than Monster Hunter 2, with a lot of that being they just cleaned up the hitboxes
>>
It's not that simple
If the game is designed like shit and everything above normal just turns enemies to bullet sponges, I don't go higher than one above normal.
If it's actually well made, I might go the hardest possible.
Difficulty levels are dumb as fuck anyway, the devs always design their games to only one of the difficulties and the rest are always terrible because of that.
>>
>>260198460
MGS2 was the hardest of the series. MGS2 EE just gives me headaches while I can breeze through MGS3's EE.
>>
>>260197959

>Play game sober.
>Get raped in every hole around every corner.
>Play game drunk.
>REK everything.
>Die from environmental damage.

Just can't win.
>>
>Play game on easy
>Can't unlock cool content
;_;
>>
Normal, because 3/4 of devs are lazy and "hard" in, for example, RPGs means "we added 3x more hp to enemies, who remain as dumb as before, while your own weapon deals 10% of normal damage, enjoy". Or infinity resources/breaking rules for AI in RTS/TBS.

Then, after I learn how the game acts like, I can choose higher difficulty level.
>>
>>260198726
It was easier on the original snake eater version and that controlled like ass.
>>
>Beat game on Hard
>Easy Mode unlocked
>>
>>260198726
>Well MGS3 did change up a lot of shit to make controlling it better.

It's not only the controls. Camouflage gives you insane... well, camouflage and the open areas allow you to circumvent the guards better than on a tanker or oil rig with narrow corridors.
But yeah, camera controls play a huge role. Some areas in MGS2 were impossible to safely navigate if you didn't occasionally switch into first person.
>>
>>260192564
I play on normal on PC. On console I choose easy because if I die I have to wait for a long ass loading screen. And my aim sucks anyway.
>>
>>260192564
Normal. I want a bit of challenge but I don't want to get annoyed by having to repeat the same fight a dozen times at any point.
>>
>>260195284
I'm playing through Deus Ex for the first time on the highest difficulty. i'm having fun
>>
>>260199239

>get highest stats and zero enemy alerts
>receive stealth cammo

Why do I want it if I don't need it?
>>
>>260192564
Pretty much always start on normal.

I generally like to go for a balance between getting a challenge while still having a bit fun with the game.
>>
File: 1406326673125.jpg (171KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1406326673125.jpg
171KB, 600x450px
>>260198990
>Beat game on normal
>Hard unlocked
>>
>>260198743
I had to limit myself to play non-lethal and without the Tranq gun to make MGS3 EE interesting. The Tranq gun is just ridiculously overpowered. Beating Ocelot's special unit shortly before you fight Ocelot without Tranq was one of the hardest things I've ever done in a videogame, though. Took me hours.
Never actually gave MGS2 on EE a shot, might try it out soon.
>>
>>260199436

Human Revolution was way fun on Give me Deus Ex. The original DX, not so much.
>>
File: 128975667237.png (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
128975667237.png
25KB, 640x480px
>Try to play the hardest dificult
>Guess it wrong
Fuck
>>
>>260192564
always start at hardest difficulty
if that makes enemies into the bullet sponges I turn down the difficulty
>>
File: JohnnyCash'sfavoritefinger.jpg (112KB, 960x654px) Image search: [Google]
JohnnyCash'sfavoritefinger.jpg
112KB, 960x654px
If it's an RPG, I play on Easy since I just wanna focus on the story.
Normal for everything else.

>inb4 EEEEEHHH? EASY MODO?
>>
>>260192564
Normal
If I like the game enough - NG+ on hardest setting
>>
Hard is the difficulty I default to.

"Insanity," or the hardest modes above hard in general, are generally poorly balanced. I remember my Insanity run of Mass Effect and it made the Mako vehicle sections a nightmare. You had to get cover behind a hill and slowly poke out and fire at enemies from afar because everybody (even foot soldiers) had perfect aiming and would be continuously firing at you from a mile away. That is the only way to beat those sections without dying. I only play the hardest mode after I've beaten hard first.
>>
>>260199685
Uh, ouch?
>>
I always choose Normal
>>
>>260199685
My brother just beat that game today. Good stuff.
>>
>>260200069
Have fun not unlocking the true ending.
>>
>>260198747
anon, you are focusing to hard on what you are trying to do instead of what you need to do
>>
Hardest, no matter the game. Git gud or git /out/.
>>
>>260200331
It's actually super
>>
>>260200518
I'm pretty sure most true endings in games revolve around decisions made in the game rather than what difficulty I play on.
>>
File: 1275046727.png (181KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
1275046727.png
181KB, 300x358px
>Try to play on expert
>lol, sorry, it's actually impossible, wait for a patch
>>
Hard for games that seem like they would have good difficulty settings, then insane if I want to replay
Normal for "muh cinematic experience"/artificial difficulty bullshit.
>>
>>260196809
But Metro 2033 was harder on Ranger Easy than Ranger Hardcore.
>>
>>260200776
I suppose you could say they are varying degrees of painful. Excruciating is extremely painful, I guess you could argue Grueling is worse than painful
>>
>Play a game on Easy
>Get to the last few levels
>"WE'RE STOPPING YOU HERE. WANNA KEEP GOING? TURN THE DIFFICULTY UP YOU PUSSY"

I kinda miss when games did this.
>>
No one knows hell in JRPGs until they've played Tales of Destiny R/DC on Chaos mode.

It's literally this shit on steroids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1cCV3Dtw4

>mfw no one will ever play this in the US
>fandomin the west already had a hard time grasping no TP in Graces
>>
>>260201352
How so?
>>
>>260201416

Which ones did, for example? I dont remember any.
>>
>>260201416
Im okay if to see the true ending you gotta play the hardest difficulty
But only if it isn't like alienatingly hard compared to previous difficulties.

Like if you had to beat DMD mode in DMC series to see the true ending, that would just be BS
>>
>>260201431
>Tales of Destiny R/DC
I wish so much.
>>
>>260201714
Jamestown, also Payday: The Heist only offers easy difficulty on two maps
>>
Depends on the game. I'm a horrible button masher so any game that increases the input speed required on higher difficulities is a huge no for me.
>>
>>260201714

I know I've seen it plenty of times back in the day but am having trouble recalling which games exactly.

I think One Must Fall wouldn't let you fight Pyro and Nova in Arcade Mode if your difficulty was too low.
>>
>>260201534
I had twice the ammo on Ranger Hardcore that I did on Ranger Easy, and I somehow took more damage on Easy than I did on Hardcore. It was completely silly.
>>
>>260194216

This.
>>
If I ever make a video game I would make the easy and insane difficulty the same, so people that play on easy would have a hard time.
>>
>>260192564
depends really, if its a shooter hard, if its a new style of game normal. if its metal gear solid hardest setting to unlock harder settings then do those
>>
>play most games on normal, usually do well enough but still am challenged
>play dead space on normal
No one told me dead space didn't know what normal is supposed to mean.
I am pretty sure everyone else that died in that universe was just a pussy that died of fright because of how harmless every monster is.
>realize I need to play darksiders 2 on the hardest difficulty setting
>it's still too easy when I fight enemies double my level
>>
File: team eternal.png (154KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
team eternal.png
154KB, 512x512px
Whoever doesn't pick normal for a first-time/blind run are tryhards.
Playing it on Normal every time officially makes you a casual.

/thread
>>
Oh and about game differently treating players on various difficulties - in first Valkyrie Profile easy mode was actually hardest, simply because you would miss TONS of useful equipment and be seriously limited with maps.
>>
>>260192564
Normal for first time. Impossible for second playthrough.

Normal's boring but I like curbstomping things.
>>
>>260195589
Ultraviolence is hard, nightmare is insane.
Playing nightmare on your first run through of Doom is pretty retarded.
>>
>difficulty scales well, I am experienced with the genre
Hard
>difficulty scales poorly/I am inexperienced/bad at the genre
Normal

If I am Really familiar with the game, hardest difficulty.

The only times I played on easy mode were when I was a child or the first time I tried shmups/bullet hells.
>>
>>260192564
talking about difficulty i play dota on RU servers
>>
>>260199671

Hardest difficulty on Deus Ex: Human Revolution just forces the player to go the stealthy route. Prolonged gun battles are only really possible on normal.

Original Deus Ex has a lot of bullshit deaths with higher difficulties, like snipers and plasma guns. Still, you can play aggressively (not stealthy) in Deus Ex without the game becoming tedious like HR.
>>
>>260202280
>people better than me are try hards!
>people worse than me are casuals!
>>
>>260192564
Normal, most games are designed to be played at one difficulty setting and the rest are afterthoughts.
>>
>>260202069
Huh, thats wierd

Also I hope the Redux doesn't have the ammo caps Last Light had. I hated that, especially since Ranger mode only gives you two guns at a time. I hated alternating between passing up ammo and having almost nothing.

Its wierd because they say Last Light was the one that was more straight up shootery while 2033 was more survivaly, but I rarely ever had ammo issues in 2033
>>
File: image.jpg (159KB, 1148x1022px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159KB, 1148x1022px
>>260192564
Narrative
Why can't I just play games for the story OP? When can we get the option to skip the silly fighting portions
>>
File: Claude-kun redux.png (29KB, 213x263px) Image search: [Google]
Claude-kun redux.png
29KB, 213x263px
>>260202923
Did you even read my post?
People that go into a game not knowing what the fuck to do on the hardest difficulty usually stop playing the game going "WAAAH WHAT A SHIT GAME, IT NEEDS BETTER CONTROLS"

And yes, if you completely know the game inside and out by the second playthrough, and still pick an easy difficulty, are not looking for a challenge and then are, by textbook definition, casual gamers.
>>
File: 1408193793367.jpg (158KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1408193793367.jpg
158KB, 3000x3000px
>Max Payne 3
>did alright with the first 2 games so I started on Hard
>mfw you can totally get killed in one shot on some random shit

Surprisingly enough its tactical runNgun that keeps you alive in that game.
>>
>>260202923
Common knowledge
>>
>>260203260
0/10
>>
>normal

Anything harder than normal is usually artificial difficulty
>>
>>260203371
Eh, I just remember ME3 having the option
>>
>>260203297
>People that go into a game not knowing what the fuck to do on the hardest difficulty usually stop playing the game going "WAAAH WHAT A SHIT GAME, IT NEEDS BETTER CONTROLS"

Get the fuck off /v/, its tainting you

>And yes, if you completely know the game inside and out by the second playthrough, and still pick an easy difficulty, are not looking for a challenge and then are, by textbook definition, casual gamers.

What are farming runs, item collection runs, secret runs?
>>
>>260203304
Which is why MP3 is boring. Too many sections force you to use cover.
>>
>>260203671
Except it didnt?
There was an option to skip the story parts though ironically, rather have all the choices be made for you.

Ninja Gaiden 3 had the closest thing to skipping the gameplay with a mode you literally couldn't die in. At lowest health, you could just take hits and nothing would happen
>>
>Challenge mode
>Clear the game, 1 live, 1 health, no retry, hardest difficulty
Fucking Mega Man.
>>
File: 1367803084540.jpg (10KB, 125x111px) Image search: [Google]
1367803084540.jpg
10KB, 125x111px
>put it on hard
>get nervous because im investing time into it
>wipe save and put it on normal
>think its too easy
>wipe save and put it on hard
>get to a part i cant beat
>alt+f4
>post on /v/
every time
>>
>>260203873
Yu can't skip fights but there is a difficulty setting that makes you practically invincible and enemies die in two shots
>>
>>260204131
I guess they had options on both ends of the spectrum then
For people who wanted story not gameplay or gameplay not story.
Both are pretty dumb IMO
>>
>insane
Tryhard faggot playing games just to brag about it on /v/. The only thing bigget than his ego is his asswamp.
>Hard
Biggest casual, wants to play games on hardest difficulty level but is to scared.
>Normal
Hipster faggot who doesen't even want to play vdeo games, just get some cinematic expirience
>Easy
Calm invidual with numerous intrests. Loves video games and acknowledges that all of them are easy, doesen't want to bother with artificially pumping up difficulty. Finishes game and moves on to another in search of a true challenge. IQ around 180, probably has a cute gf.
>>
>>260192564

Hard because usually "Insame/Impossible/Rape" is usally

>game is tediously hard for the first two hours because everything takes one hundred bullets and you can only take two

>then it becomes easy mode because you get upgrades that make you "Dickpunch: Destroyer of Cunts" and the game is basically Normal Mode.

Only when the hardest difficulty does something different is when I play it.
>>
>>260204405
>cute gf
How do I unlock this achievement?
>>
Hard. Normal and Casual have crutches and let you get away with shit that just wouldn't fly in a competition/actual game.
>>
>>260192564
>playing Bioshock Infinite
>reach last battle on airship
>huge spike in difficulty
>keep failing
>check menu
>was playing on the hardest difficulty entire time and didn't know
>just wanted to be done with it
>switch to easy
>>
>>260192564
Hard. Insane when I play it for a second time. Normal is for casuals and easy mode is for infants.

Insane mode 1st play through is for the type of people who enjoy sticking needles through their finger nails and pouring alcohol into the wound.
>>
File: nvidia pranks.gif (2MB, 350x283px) Image search: [Google]
nvidia pranks.gif
2MB, 350x283px
easy, because i always forget that games aren't punishing at all these days
then I switch to hard
>>
Never played the game before? Start on Normal. Also, you forgot Very Hard before Insane.
>>
I usually pick easy first so I can breeze through the first half and see if the games falls off a cliff at some point or not

If it's good I replay on a real difficulty
>>
>start Catherine
>figure I'm pretty decent at puzzle games, let's put it on hard
>spend 2 hours on the second fucking night
>try the third, make it to the boss, seem to be physically unable to avoid attacks and climb more quickly than the blocks are falling
>drop down to normal after many tries
>rack up tons of lives and breeze through the rest of the game feeling like it's too easy but hard would be too much
feels bad man
>>
>>260205342
omg are they alright
>>
>>260192564
Depends how badly I want to play, If its something I'm playing just so I can say I've played it, normal. If it's something I want to enjoy Hard/Insane depending on what the difficulty actually does.
>>
File: fry.png (133KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
fry.png
133KB, 320x240px
>decide to play New Vegas on the hardest difficulty
>figure it would affect dice roll chances, frequency of certain enemies, that sort of thing
>the difficulty is literally just a damage modifier; you do 50% damage and take 200% damage at the highest setting and that's it

I could achieve the same fucking thing by not wearing armor and just using the 9mm pistol, is this a joke?
>>
>>260192564
I'm a massive casual, so easy.
>>
>>260206040

This is the exact reason why hard+ difficulty is pointless in a lot of games
>>
>>260192564

Usually just stick with hard, insane is almost always stupid, especially in games like Fire Emblem.
>>
>>260206040
>playing a bethesda game
>not thinking difficulty isn't just damage modifiers
Honestly I was hoping obsidian would fix that, but theirs only so much you can do in 6 months...
>>
File: 1401838816317.jpg (40KB, 319x255px) Image search: [Google]
1401838816317.jpg
40KB, 319x255px
So here's the more difficult question. From these three options:
>Easy
>Normal
>Hard

Which do you choose from?

Normal might actually be hard mode and hard could actually be insane mode. Do you risk putting yourself through torture or do you risk playing through casual mode?
>>
I play on Tell me a Story difficulty.
>>
>>260194216
I hope you're aware that the term 'artificial difficulty' is retarded.

Anyway, always Insane.
>>
>>260207540
the term 'artificial difficulty' is retarded.

In this instance though, it's accurate.

See >>260206040
>>
>>260206884
Hard always and I play it until I convince myself that I need to switch down to norml. Games like Ace Combat, this turns out well. Games like >>260205654, not so much.
>>
>>260207334
go back to le reddit you nigger
>>
>>260209432
>I must fit in
>>
>>260209612
I'm just messing you around man, we chill
>>
>>260192564

Usually go for Normal because that's how the game is usually balanced around. Anything afterward is artificial difficulty.

The best games have smarter AI when higher, as well as a New Game+ where stuff carries over.
>>
normal so i don't have to spend extra hours with damage sponge enemies
>>
I start on Hard, since Insane is always artificial difficulty that forces you to ignore the nuances of the game mechanics to cheat the AI.
>>
>>260197389
Changing Insane's description to "Buy the 5$ DLC to unlock it" makes it spot on.
>>
>>260192958

This anon knows what's up.

>>260192705
This anon and everyone agreeing with him are probably people who don't play a lot of games and want to sound tough on /v/
>>
>>260193219

This. Only when I realize normal is too easy I'll restart with hard.
That said I'll play higher difficulties anyway for second and third playthroughs (if the game is good)
>>
File: pleb.png (12KB, 554x563px) Image search: [Google]
pleb.png
12KB, 554x563px
>>260192564
>>
>>260194803

>game has shitty difficulty scale that makes the game simply tedious, not harder
>still play that only so you can say how hardcore you are on /v/

I'd wonder what this thread would look like if everyone would also name a few examples of games they play.
>>
>>260192564
Always hard (or the one before the hardest difficulty). That's my basic. If im not sweating im changin the difficulty. Except when I know the game will mostly be a cakewalk , Like Saints row 3, then i choose the hardest possible difficulty
>>
>>260193413
Same for RTS. But that is to compensate the poor AI.

See Age of empires and 2.
>>
>>260193689
Yeah, that's just beyond unfair. Like Serious sam 3 on Mental .Same enemies than in hard but they blink to invisibility. Worst than Doom's nightmare
>>
It's really really dependant on the game. Usually when I choose a difficulty, I have a good gripe at what I can handle.
If it's a game I know absolutely nothing about I'll usually start with normal
>>
>>260195589
>Not playing old shooters that aren't Doom on the highest difficulty

Try to beat Blood 3d in extra crispy. It has everything that shouldn't exist in a FPS to the extreme

>Bulletsponge
>Super Fast
>Insane accuracy
>Cultists Spam dynamite

The difficulty before Extra Crispy is really hard, but is actually bearable. I guess they made the last difficulty for Multiplayer. Otherwise is nigh impossible
>>
Depends on the game, but I usually pick Normal first to get the hang and finish the game once, then I try Hard and Insane on later playthroughs.
Thread posts: 218
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.