[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game dev/mod thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 17

So anon what are you working on? I've been learning UE4 for about a month now, so far so good. Particle effects are fun
>>
Anyone want to discuss making videogames?
>>
>>257079435
What software/engine are you working on ? How many times did you work on this now ?
>>
we already having a thread, don't mind the bite op though
>>257077236
>>
that looks cool OP, you taking that game further? what's it gonna be when it's more completed?
>>
>>257080702
>shit thread about mods and gamer girls.

no.
>>
>>257080621
I use 3dsmax for modeling/animation and the game engine is Unreal Engine 4. I had some brief experience working with UE3 through UDK but I pretty much had to start over with learning. Other than that I used to mess around in the source engine but that was porting models and animating them. I've had the license to the engine about a month now so I'd say things are progressing rather well. The unreal community is really helpful.

>>257080702
I think most people in that thread are more interested in complaining about the fact that it's a girl who made that map
>>
>>257079435
What's UE4 like? how hard is it to learn? I've been thinking about getting it.
>>
>>257080867
If you've been thinking about getting it then do it, you can instantly cancel your subscription and still get updates till the end of the month. It's easy to learn. On Epics youtube channel alone there are 150+ tutorial videos. Aside of that there are tons made by the community, both on youtube and in text form. You can get a student licence for free at autodesk if you need modeling tools.
>>
Still working on my Mercenary Sim.

The gameplay is mostly fleshed out so I'm currently working on the world building, the game goes on a time base system so I want the world to have its own clock where events go as planned in a certain time frame unless changed by the player.
>>
File: 1406730199790.jpg (59KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
1406730199790.jpg
59KB, 640x560px
CE3

UE4
>>
I want to learn Graphical design and modeling shit, is it worth it?
>>
>making games for ~1.5 years
>have 6 finished games
>have a little over 1000 combined plays
>made a grand total of about $4

Ask me anything.

Or don't. You'll probably end up tainted and doomed to failure.
>>
I've learned Unity and looking at them grafix I get kind of jealous. I'm currently working on an active ragdoll system similiar to that of Gang Beasts
>>
>>257079435
Working on a game about riots since 2/3 weeks now.

Being alone in game dev is pretty hard I have no support, I really don't want to drop this project and I don't want to use fundraising because I already invested my own money in this game.

Here is a webm.
>>
>>257081015
Cool, got any images/footage to share? Isn't it a pain to sync everything though?
>>257081115
If you want to do something with Modeling and Graphical design it probably is
>>257081139
What games did you make? And where do you think you went wrong?
>>
File: CutCut.gif (1MB, 1246x673px) Image search: [Google]
CutCut.gif
1MB, 1246x673px
I'm making a samurai game where you cut stuff up.
>>
>mfw all of this stuff is way better than the shit on the /vg/ thread
damn niggas you good
>>
Working on a furry/kemono tactical RPG with a 1890s theme (No steampunk, God no). I'm still sketching out ideas, desining classes, doing research into the period and doing mechanic design.

It's probably gonna be isometric (I know a guy that could do me sprite art but if I mention isometric to him, he will strangle me) with a custom sprite engine based on SDL libraries. I've already got some bits and pieces from a failed 2D sneaking side-scroller I've been trying to do for years.
>>
>>257081227
It looks rad as fuck,don't give up.
>>
>>257080975
Thanks for the reply, I might go ahead and get it.
My only concern is that I'm going to get stuck on something then just give up. Happens a lot to me.
>>
>>257081225
Yeah, it can be quite difficult if you don't have anyone supporting you. But it looks great! Is that a custom engine?
>>257081280
Will cutting up stuff be dynamic and what things will the player to be cut up?
>>257081378
Before you completely flesh out the deisgn plan I'd be sure that you'd be able to create it. Otherwhys you might have to keep updating it to adjust to your limitations
>>
>>257081227
that wind simulation is really cool
>>
>>257081553
Yeah I've had that happen to me in the past. But believe me, the community is incredibly helpful. Just check out https://answers.unrealengine.com/ to see the kind of support you can get when in trouble
>>
>>257081608
I don't think that's wind Anon, I think they're throwing rocks
Confused me the first time as well tho
>>
File: DUANE.gif (719KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
DUANE.gif
719KB, 480x320px
>>257081227
This awesome!

Keep up the good work my friend!
>>
>>257081227
looking good
>>
>>257081227
cool, keeping workin on it
>>
>>257081564

I've overshot with the 2D sneaking thing, really. The features proved to be such a mess they looked good on paper but I couldn't get around on doing the math.

Now I'm going for a really simple grid-based FFT-inspired combat. The only problem I see is the AI. But that's not as bad as let's say coding 'hearing' for the guards on a 2.5D plane in real time.
>>
>>257081227
That looks really good anon. I'd say if you collaborated with a couple of people it might ease the workload.
>>
>>257081115
Chose one, not both. You have to specialize as much as possible.
>>
>>257081227
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jWYCXneCn8
>>
>>257081553
Also if you fear the scripting part, Blueprint makes things a lot easier to understand and grasp the logic of how things work together
>>257081746
Couldn't you just attach a cone to the front of the enemy as it's vision, and a circle around the enemy to what they can hear if it's above a certian volume?
>>
>>257080864
Why did you decide yo use 3dsmax? I have years of experience with blender3d and finally decided to make a change and go for an autodesk product, but i wasn't really sure if i should use Maya or 3dsmax, finally i decided to use maya. What is the real difference betwen both programs? Everywhere they just say, nah it doen't matter. But i suppose that there must be some kind of difference for them to be different products
>>
>>257081867

Well yeah that was somewhat the solution (circle instead of cone) but there was also the 'depth' that I've wanted to add basically if you went inside a room you didn't emerged somewhere else on the level but on the "room" plane and that made things really complicated. In retrospect I've should've used a 3D engine for that.
>>
>>257081910
Because I've used it in the past. When it comes to modeling it's pretty robust. I've recently tried Maya but I dislike the UI, though that might just be something you need to get used to, but I've heard that Maya is better for animation though. Still Max serves my needs thus far though it can be a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes. Especially with UV mapping with you need to do twice in unreal since it uses light maps
>>
>>257081867
Yeah I've heard of blueprints, are they just as powerful as normal coding or would some things only be possible with coding?
>>
File: Deadly spit.gif (210KB, 971x518px) Image search: [Google]
Deadly spit.gif
210KB, 971x518px
>>257081564
>Will cutting up stuff be dynamic and what things will the player to be cut up?
It's dynamic, it give different result depending on how you draw your swordpath.
>what things will the player to be cut up?
Objects and enemies, also planing on adding stuff like ropes and things in the surrounding that can be cut and change some gameplay elements.
>>
>>257082014
can't you make the switch to another engine in that case? Or is it all written in a language that only works with your current engine
>>
>>257081240
>What games did you make?

A few mobile games, a few web browser games. Currently making a PC game and if it flops like the others have then I'm probably going to bail out.

>And where do you think you went wrong?

Convincing people to stop for a second and actually give my shit a chance is hardest damn thing. It doesn't help that I'm a major shut-in robot who can't talk to people

Video related, my current thing. Hopefully the intro shit at the beginning gets skipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eIjrVc7q7Q#t=00m09s
>>
>>257079435
If you decide to make your characters furry and hot I will be willing to offer my free services as a 3d animator
>>
>>257082168

I've scrapped that project long ago. If I were to do it over, I'd rather start from scratch.

I want to make something way more simple now.
>>
>>257082241
Why don't you just apply for a gaming company if you have a portfolio of a few games?
>>
>>257081428
>>257081608
>>257081658
>>257081667
>>257081727
>>257081759
Thanks for the support I'll make progress.

>>257081835
I saw that game it looks great. It's pretty frustrating to know that there is another game on the same idea that is nearly finished.

But my gameplay will be different. It's not a tip-tap strategy game, but real time defense/attack with upgrade/spending system.
>>
It's kinda irrelevant I guess, but I don't see better thread for this and I've wanted to ask about this for days.

I'm currently reading "Game Design Workshop" hoping to get more motivation for vidya development (and vidya in general). Also thinking about getting Raph Koster's "Theory of Fun" since I just learned about Book Depository. Holy shit free shipping
Anyone have more book recommendation?
>>
File: image.jpg (280KB, 1922x710px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280KB, 1922x710px
I'm working on an action RPG that takes place in a haunted mansion. I 'me working on it with 3 other guys.

If anyone's interested, I can link to the blog.
>>
>>257082454
I own that book.

The problem with design and fun is it more or less comes down to iteration and hella playtesting.
>>
>>257082547
I like that character.
>>
>>257082149
I hope either the background or the pixel shits are placeholders.
That photoshop filter can be seen miles away
>>
>>257082141
Well when it comes to programming a barely have any experience, but technically you can make a whole game with it. If you want to check it out just look at some of the blueprint tutorials. But pretty much everything can be controlled through the editor, no external code required.
>>257082241
Digging that artstyle, clean and simple.The player seems to move too fast though compared to how the legs are moving. And i think as you mentioned: You need to get people to play or talk about your games. It won't just happen on its own. Perhaps you could get someone to help you with that?
>>257082305
Well a good learning experience in that case
>>257082418
It's not easy to make a truely original game. But simply because there is a game just like it out there doesn't mean people won't want more of it. In fact it's often to opposite.
>>257082454
Not a big reader, but a fun look into the process of game development are the Developer Playthroughs on Ratchet and Clank. This is their channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/uselesspodcasts/videos
>>257082547
Sure, post it
>>
File: cartman-500-x-341.jpg (30KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
cartman-500-x-341.jpg
30KB, 500x341px
>>257081227
>>
>>257082243
Eh sorry, I'll pass. Plus I want to learn Animation. I find it more fun than modeling. I'm going for a low poly with solid colours look though because I'm not good at detail modeling or creating textures
>>
>>257082693

It was a good learning experience in that just because you don't have to program your own soundcard playback and INT 13h from scratch doesn't mean all that processor power can excuse sloppy coding and design.

If I were to redo the game, I'd take notes from Gunpoint on a lot of things. Also the main inspiration behind the stealth game was that Tribly sneaking game that was absolutely ass because apparently speedrunning a sneaking game with random factors is a great design idea (It's not).
>>
>>257082330
I live in a podunk mountain town that's about 300+ miles away from any big company. I haven't tried, but I don't think anyone's going to fly me across the country to talk about my meh tier web/phone games.
>>
>>257082654
Thank you! He's an early-game boss.

Here's the blog:

Pastebin Tghay1mD
>>
You bastards are making me jealous with your projects. Mainly because I've no fucking clue how to do anything when it comes to making a game.

Ain't gonna learn anytime soon either, since no one around here ever do anything besides getting drunk.
>>
>>257082693
Thanks for all the replies, think I'm gonna go ahead and get it.
>>
>>257083024
I have a friend just like you, and I'll tell you what I told him. You gotta start somewhere and you can learn a lot from online resources
>>
>>257083024
Exactly what does everyone around you being drunk have anything to do with your lack of ambition to make a game if that's what you truly wanted? You will never do anything if you wait for other people to do it first
>>
File: qt.png (5KB, 143x172px) Image search: [Google]
qt.png
5KB, 143x172px
Do you guys like the main character for the game I'm working on?
>>
File: smallerTest.gif (76KB, 1226x640px) Image search: [Google]
smallerTest.gif
76KB, 1226x640px
>>257082690
All is placeholder,I'm actually remaking it so I don't mix pixel sizes.
>>
Goddamn, my 4chanX is fucked. Not even new replies on thread shows up

>>257082607
Yeah, I figured.
So far my only experience with "game development" was just RPG Maker. But from there at least I learned playtesting was a fucking chore
>>257082693
Thanks for the link man. I appreciate it
>>
Not working on anything currently

I would love to throw some stuff on the vita as soon as i get my hands on one. Got a few ideas id like to have fun with.
>>
>>257081227
That looks pretty fucking good

And I hate that artstyle with a passion, but the game itself looks good.
>>
>>257081378

To continue and unravel a little bit more about the idea - I was thinking of exploring the 1890s spiritualism for magic. Energy/holy healing, mediums, shamanism, illusionists - all that weird stuff.

Most of the designs I've done so far are soldiers since period uniforms are quite fun to draw. I was thinking of having a really base soldier class (can use a rifle and knives) and from that officers (can use pistols and sabres), snipers (can use long range carabines), gunslinger (pistols and knives). The weapons will of course be period so some early loaded rifles, breach-loaded rifles, early revolvers all the tasty stuff from the age of colonialism
>>
>>257083187
>>257083205

Online resources don't help me a whole lot. English is not my first language, so most of the time, I don't understand what the tutorials are telling me, and no one around here can help with that. I also don't want to work on something all by myself. I'm tired of doing things all by myself. It brings me no joy.

I'm sorry if I sound like a dumbass. I'm just tired.
>>
I'd like to work on a RTS heavily inspired by Rise of Nations, but the only game dev I've done is a terrible 10h TBS made in Unity with C#.
Haven't started on it yet due to not wanting to do it when I get back from work
>>
>>257083508
>Goddamn, my 4chanX is fucked.
4ChanX fucking sucks

I keep getting a "quickly reply" crashed on clone error. and it eventually fills up my page after my mouse grazes over a few post links.

I tried switching back to the default extension and it just sucks.
>>
>>257083616
Hmm that does make everything a lot more challenging. Still video tutorials might be easier to understand since you actually see what's happening.
>>257083658
If you force yourself to do that first step you'll feel more like it next time you work on it because you have a starting point.
>>
>>257084726
It'd probably be a bit easier to make that step if I wasn't programming all day at work. I still need to decide on the engine I'm going to use and the entire design too.
>>
What's the best way to develop mobile games cross-platform for ios and android.
>>
>>257084816
>Developing mobile games
You'll probably want Unity you filthy fuck
>>
>>257084792
Ah, yeah if you do that for work as well then I can imagine you'd be a bit burnt out on it. What about the weekends?
>>
>>257084816
UE4 supports both and I think the next version (or maybe it was the one after) was going to add more mobile functionality
>>
>>257084884
Weekends would be the time to work on it, but I spend most of that time being hounded to play MP or catching up on shows I missed during the week.
In other words, I'm making excuses really. Some day I'll sit down, get a basic design doc out and then figure out what engine I'm going to use
>>
>>257079435
ive just realized it shoots dicks. very clever OP
>>
>>257083390
wanna stick my dick in it
>>
>>257085726
Cannot unsee
>>
There's a general over at /vg/ for this that I strongly recommend
>>>/vg/76297419
>>
>>257082418
good answer, so good luck
>>
>>257086129
General has been full of shitposting recently and all the good devs left already
>>
>>257085726
>>257086004
What? I can't see it but I guess I should rework the particle.
>>
>>257081227
>that health bar
What is this, Risk of Rain?
>>
>>257081227
That looks dope as fuck. I think I'll make my own version and bring into the team next week.
>>
>>257087268
>enforcer's pre-ror life
>>
>>257087054
so change that
>>
>>257088126
>RoR prequel
I want it.
>>
>>257083390
>anime shit
No thanks, please kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>257081227
what are you using to make the game?
>>
>>257084816
Well, im currently doing that.
I use libGdx because looks simple and it let me port to iOS and android without having a license or some shit of that.

The game im doing with a friend is about "La llorona" (The crying lady) and it will be like a infinite runner for mobiles devices.
>>
>>257079435
How easy is it compared to the former engine?
>>
>>257079435
I'm working on mount and blade with guns.
>>
>>257079435
>Particle effects are fun
until you put textures and realize that you have to sacrifice that shit to get a decent framerate.
>>
>XNA
>Have like 4 interfaces to draw a sprite from a texture
I just can't help myself
And it's all my engine can do
>>
>>257081227
Don't give up, it looks awesome.

>>257081227
>I really don't want to drop this project and I don't want to use fundraising because I already invested my own money in this game.
>My own money

Man you are a good human being, keep up the good work.
>>
>mfw uninstalling visual C# and XNA to try out more modern tech
>mfw visual studio 12 bug on my computer because lol windows 7
>mfw after uninstalling that trash the new install of C# doesn't recognize XNA anymore

Microsoft, I hate you.
>>
>>257090779
Microsoft dropped XNA like, 4 years ago, I think.
You should use something better, if you know c#, focus on unity.

You can pirate the PRO version on CG persia.
>>
>>257090925
>You should use something better, if you know c#, focus on unity.

I know, But unity seems like a dead end on itself as well.
>>
>>257091072
Why? there are a ton of users, documentation and the forum is full of people ready to help.
>>
I've always had an interest in games programming, but I try to keep the guise of a normalfag - so I don't get much time to work on it.

So programming is my hobby.

Recently I started making small applications for the company I work for. Completely unrelated to my role. I just think up something we can use, make it in my spare time and give it to whoever wants it.
They sing me praises all day, err day. Saying I should be put in the I.T department.

Last week I was told that one of the bosses wants an app for his tablet made, so I've spent this weekend throwing together a proof of concept using unity engine.
It's coming along well, considering it's my first time using unity and javascript.

If he likes it, I intend to start by charging him the cost of his tablet, so I can get something to test with. We'll see where it goes from there.

It's nice experience and I'm hoping to learn enough to branch into video games
>>
>>257091267
Dunno, probably saerching for excuses ,but that interface just repulse, I had really bad experience with Flash for that same reason, I'm a coder, I don't work well with that UI oriented "programming". I need to actually own my fucking code and project to the letter
>>
>can program
>can't do art for shit
this is suffering
>>
>>257091463
Not the industry, I hope. That shit will bleed your soul dry.
>>
>>257091889
>tfw an idea guy
>>
Is being just good at art enough to work in vidya? I've been really beating myself down about not knowing how to code and trying to learn, but I'm much better at art. Is it worth my time to focus in on that instead of trying to do both? A problem I see often is amateur programmers who have good games but no art guy.
>>
>>257092468
post ideas
>>
>>257079435
You should at least make it so it shoots where the mouse points.
>>
>>257093167
>Is being just good at art enough to work in vidya?
Not really, because the place is so crowded even a shitty start up will chose artist way better than you.
>>
>>257093167
Yes, there is like 9 million different jobs related to art.
>>
>>257082241
Is this made in Unity?
If you have only made $4 try uploading it to konregate for add revenue and give a link to the buy version
or do a small $500 kickstarter
>>
So making a project is nice and all but getting into a big company requires some serious knowledge, is anyone else trying to become good at optimizing and such things? I've found that to get a job at say DICE you need high level optimization knowledge and math knowledge. Does anyone have anything to suggest which might help me improve in these areas?
>>
>>257081280
Are you that /fa/-game guy?
>>
Theoretically, how hard would it be for someone to learn a real engine (I'm really interested in Cry Engine 3 due to how well it runs on my PC) if their only previous experience was making a custom story for Amnesia out of boredom? Here's a page of scripts that game uses to give you an idea of it's complexity https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/doku.php?id=hpl2/amnesia/script_functions
>>
File: 1407551937430[1].png (13KB, 678x398px) Image search: [Google]
1407551937430[1].png
13KB, 678x398px
Making a Doom/System Shock/Wolfenstein mix
Sneak peak on the new sprites and gibs, it's a bit faster and leaning on the splatfests of Brutal Doom
>>
>>257093714
>math knowledge
well duh, if you want to be a programmer at any big games company
>>
>>257093714
Get a CS degree and do a few years of work/interships. Self-teaching is going to be veeery difficult
>>
>>257093885
Use Unity you sponge do you can actually get something done
>>
File: 1368893302970.jpg (76KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
1368893302970.jpg
76KB, 500x669px
So if I fucking hate Cliff Blezinski and don't want to give that fuck anymore money, what engine should I use.
>>
>>257093885
>>257094087
UE4s blueprints > Unity
>>
>>257081227
artstyle reminds me of a better version of risk of rain's artstyle. Well done anon.
>>
>>257081139
>1000 combined plays over 1.5 years and 6 games
Nigger, you're either doing fuck all for marketing, your games are just THAT bad, or you're lying.

My first game has been out a month and has 1.5k downloads, with the absolute minimum amount of effort put into marketing.
>>
>>257094006
digging those monster designs
>>
>>257094091
Cliffy Bazinga is no longer with Epic though.
>>
you know that one shota game where you kick a football around.
im trying to make that in unity but im really shit at everything, how do i become unshit?
>>
What engines handle moving/changing objects the best? I'm a big fan of those alice in wonderland dreamscapes and also love the horror trope of things changing as you turn around and whatnot.
>>
>>257094006
Looks sweet. What engine are you using?
>>
>>257094091
You should post more pictures of that hot asian semen demon is what you should do, you sonuvabitch
>>
>>257095050
I'd guess something with fully dynamic lighting, like CryEngine. It probably doesn't matter all too much though.
>>
>>257095050
any modern engine could handle that.
>>
File: 1356878316313.jpg (137KB, 636x960px) Image search: [Google]
1356878316313.jpg
137KB, 636x960px
>>257096086
Err... Yeah... Well I mean I guess he's a semen demon.
>>
>>257096309
He?
Fuck.
>>
>>257090221
A lot more accessible. I had quite a bit of trouble with UDK but UE4 is much better, documentation is easier to understand aswell.
>>257090546
Not really, GPU particles work miracles. Plus I'm going for a simple look so I can afford expensive particles. My system is technically under the minimum specs so I'm pretty sure I'll know when I'm using too many
>>257093296
Yeah still working a lot on the HUD, that point was just so I know where the centre of the screen is
>>
I'm working on a free as in freedom clone of Worms Armageddon

Progress is slow to say the least... I don't feel particularly motivated to code any more.

I also want to make an ARPG and I would have loved to do it in UE4 but I don't feel like paying $20 for something I'm not even sure I'll ever bother to learn and all the pirated versions I've tried have shat themselves at different stages.
>>
>>257097026
>I'm working on a free as in freedom clone of Worms Armageddon
...why?
>>
>>257097116
because I feel like it
>>
>>257096309
>He
Even better.
>>
>>257097017
HUD? All you have to do is get the controller and get the node that converts mouse position to XYZ cords.
>>
File: bp.png (171KB, 1216x437px) Image search: [Google]
bp.png
171KB, 1216x437px
>>257097662
But wouldn't that cause it to be fired from the centre of the screen? Currently I'm using a socket as a firing point.
>>
>>257096017
I wrote it myself, using engines is for peasants

>>257094451
Thank you!
>>
>>257082962
>superboss is literally cancer

I like this game
>>
>>257098041
If the camera controls with the mouse then yes. Your character rotates as you rotate the camera yes?
>>
>>257098315
Nope, have yet to set that up. So far I haven't much on the scripting side of things (or asset creation). More learning how the tools work. But I think I should try to do that now, wouldn't be a bad idea
>>
>>257083508
That sounds like a known bug in Mayhem's fork. Try
https://github.com/ccd0/4chan-x

>>257083690
Make sure you're up to date (browser, Greasemonkey and 4chan X), and try disabling all other extensions temporarily to check for a conflict. If neither of those work, please report the bug. Which fork are you using?
>>
So you guys pay for UE4 or download it from elsewhere? Or compiled it from source yourselves?
>>
>>257082454
>Book Depository
Only thing from Amazon I love, being an ausfag
>>
>>257098903
Payed for it, 19 euro isn't that much for what you get
>>
>>257098586
You should make it so the camera doesn't rotate the character.
>>
>>257100293
Well I'm using the third person blueprint setup as a base, so when the player stands still the camera doesn't move the player but when the player is moving it does. So far messing with this has yielded some pretty funny results
>>
>>257100676
I would recommend starting from a blank project and just create blank standard projects too see how they did them instead of working on one. Cause they're doing some pretty stupid shit that can break a lot of things.
>>
>>257102248
Hmm, I guess it couldn't hurt to try, plus it'd be a good learning process.
>>
Is UE4 more for developers or artists? I mean, aside from trying some gameplay stuff I'd wager its more fun for artists to script shit and make some small games in it than trying to learn the entire engine
>>
>>257103261
There isn't that much difference between a blank project and a standard one, it's pretty much that you don't have a base character/camera/controller as a base, that's pretty much it. And you also learn a lot how everything works since you gotta do it yourself, and if you don't understand something just take a look at one of their projects/standard project.

>>257103614
It's for anyone pretty much at this point. You got no talent whatsoever? It's for you. You're a coder? It's for you too! An artist? You heard correct, it's for you son! Everyone can enjoy UE4. Bring your family together. Even let grandpa in on some fun.
>>
>>257081227
nigga you got a blog? the looks awesome
>>
File: 1405942161835.gif (144KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1405942161835.gif
144KB, 180x180px
>tfw making text adventure game that turned into life simulator that turned into life simulator where you play a girl who can be a slut
>tfw you start wondering what the fuck you are doing when you added an abortion addict trait when you are just making a text adventure game
>>
>>257104467
I don't have a blog yet. I'll maybe make one, it would be great.

I have a youtube channel, I'll make a video about the game explaining everything. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYZtp0YIxYOipX15v_h_jnA

At this point I can't really talk about it, it's too early. I'll also make greenlight request.
>>
>tfw want to make a game but never do and dont know how
>>
>>257105565
Just fuck around with Game Maker, RPG Maker, Unity, or something, and make a simple and short game.

The more you spend time doing the shit, the more you'll end up accomplishing.
>>
>>257105013
What exactly are the effects of such a trait?
>>
File: 1400308400840.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1400308400840.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>257106297
You can no longer use condoms during sex because you want to get pregnant and if you don't get an abortion when you are pregnant then you become unhappy and eventually depressed.

I had this moment last night where i asked myself what the fuck i was doing.
>>
>>257106612
Well, assuming you want to keep things at least relatively realistic (it is a simulator, after all), then I would maybe recommend removing that. People tend not to get addicted to potentially dangerous medical procedures.

How about just leave it at a condom aversion and leave it up to the player to use other forms of birth control at their discretion?
>>
maybe is a bit unrelated, but I wonder if all those top shots animator and or modeller secretly make porn of the characters they are working on?
>>
Just started making a fishing game about one hour ago for a game jam. Got player movement down and some basic sprites. Thoughts on some interesting gameplay mechanics? I was thinking of just making a watered down ridiculous fishing.
>>
Currently downloading Unity right now. Anyone else have experience with it? Is it easy to learn? What's the most I can do with it?
>>
>>257107357
It's very easy

You can do anything
>>
>>257107357
It's easy as fuck, but easy as fuck doesn't mean five minutes. My advice is to just watch fuck loads of tutorials, and at least learn the basics of programming. There's also addons such as Playmaker which are apparently very good if you can't code for shit, but I've never used it.
>>
>>257107357
Hope you know Javascript or C#
>>
>>257107289
You could have a mega bait that causes an event to occur. In this event you have to combo catch fishes (there's a bar at the top of the screen and you have to click at the right time) for like 5x and then if you succeeded in that you have to try to reel in a whale
>>
>>257107551
>>257107564
I've learned C# in the past. Glad to see that'll finally come into use.
>>
>>257082454
Theory of fun is ok. It's extremely basic and raph koster is a bit of a dogmatic cunt. Worth a read though. Look at Tynan sylvester's game design: engineering experiences.

It's recent and more relevant to the practice than most game design books I.e. Jesse schell, raph koster etc.
>>
>>257098076
>using engines is for peasants

If the game is not even going to be fun and you don't know shit about game design (programing isn't game design) don't even bother. I rather play a fun game made with a shitty easy engine than a boring tech demo made to masturbate the ego of its creator.
>>
>>257107694
Seems pretty good. Thanks anon.
>>
>>257107551
Playmaker is pretty gud, I use it myself. Though it works best using it and doing some uscript or c# alongside it for flexibilities sake.

Granted it's harder to fuck stuff up in playmaker but it's also harder to get certain complicated things working.
>>
>>257079435
How's UE4?
the only difference I've noticed personally is the emphasis on particles, and the massive ease of use.
Been spending the past few years fucking around with UDK3 and wondering if it would be worth changing. How much of what I've learnt with unreal3 apply to unreal4?
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.