[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alien Covenant Novel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 27

File: NOOMI-RAPACE_SHAW.png (470KB, 772x486px) Image search: [Google]
NOOMI-RAPACE_SHAW.png
470KB, 772x486px
Apparently the Novel of Alien Covenant clears 99% of the cringe plot holes that plaged the movie:

No helmets in an alien world
>We find out why they run around the planet without helmets; Walter leaves the ship first to test the air and water, revealing that it's free from pathogens and pollutants "right down past the molecular level." Ledward actually remembers this when he sees the spores for the first time, reasoning that they cannot be dangerous because Walt gave them the all clear. Also the spores shoot the eggs into his ear through some kind of proboscis, they do not just zip into his ear as in the film.

>David later tells the crew that because the virus is inert until it senses life, it is impossible to detect even with the most advanced scanning equipment.

Xeno eggs weren't created by David
>David shows Oram a petrified facehugger's egg, which he reveals he euthanised because it was too aggressive. Oram looks inside this egg, at David's urging, and is comforted to find that the hugger inside is, as promised, quite dead. Tantalisingly, he mentions that this was left behind by the Engineers, saying it is a "supreme example of their skill." His attempts to create the alien, seemingly, are trying to emulate this one left by the Engineers. He also confirms that the aliens take on characteristics of their host species, a la the Dog Alien from Alien 3, which is a nice little detail.

The stupid facehugger "trust me bro" scene
>David shows Oram his own attempts at creating the eggs. Before descending into the egg chamber, he gives Oram some kind of smelly unguent to smear underneath his nose which he says will keep him safe from the hugger's attentions, and even leans over one of the open ovoids to prove that doing so is safe.

About the Enginners
>The flashback with Shaw and David nuking Engineers is entirely absent. Also, there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld - the characters refer to it as such multiple times.
>>
File: Alien_Covenant_novel.jpg (64KB, 427x700px) Image search: [Google]
Alien_Covenant_novel.jpg
64KB, 427x700px
About David
>Daniels stabs David through the eye with the nail, not the chin - we discover David shares Walter's healing capabilities here, as his damaged eye knits itself back together. This whole switch is not nearly as telegraphed as it was in the film - no mention of David reaching for the knife, for example.

>Unlike the film, David does not reveal himself to the crew, posing as Walter to the very end - Daniels goes under believing that all is right with world, little suspecting she is about to become a petri dish for the universe's most deranged synthetic. David then opens a secure line with Weyland Yutani HQ back on earth and slips his embryos into storage - these are simply hidden on the ship

David Shop
>The biggest change is the scene with David and Oram in his little shop of horrors. It is filled with all manner of fascinating and gruesome sights, including a dissected Engineer's corpse, tiny preserved neomorph specimens that hatched out of insects, and, most notably, corpses (or at least models) of something that sounds suspiciously like the classic Giger alien.

Misc stuff
>The sequence of events up until the attack in the wheatfield are more or less exactly as they are in the film - however, we do find out that Hallet, despite warnings from Lope not to, investigates the ovoid because he doesn't want the science types to take all the credit for its discovery. In fact, the book takes much greater pains than the film to justify the crew's actions, often talking about safeguards and correct operating procedure.

>As the survivors escape the necropolis, the surviving neomorph joins the party and does battle with the xeno.
>>
File: 1442647634703.jpg (8KB, 166x143px) Image search: [Google]
1442647634703.jpg
8KB, 166x143px
THATS RIGHT OP!!

For only 4 monthly payments of $19.99 YOU can have a more in depth experience of this year's big box office hit Alien: Covenant!

Now available on Amazon.com in 60 different countries. Get your copy NOW!
>>
Does Prometheus have an movelization too?
>>
>>83164238
>>83164435
I don't understand why stuff that makes the characters seems cautious and not stupid was cut, in favour of stuff that wasn't even important like the sex scene or 15 minutes of pretty visuals.
>>
>>83164560
Ridley Scott got whatever directors disease George Lucas caught.
>>
>>83164238
>plot holes
I'm really tired of idiots using this term but then again it exposes you as an mouth drooling retard.
>>
>>83164560

Sex scene seemed like a holdover from 80s horror movies.

As for characters being cautious... I think it's to make more time for AESTHETICS shots or killing
>>
>>83164612

Way to just start personal attacks. The sign of a true debate master.
>>
>The flashback with Shaw and David nuking Engineers is entirely absent. Also, there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld - the characters refer to it as such multiple times.

Makes the most sense.

There's a reason the Engineers never finished what they started when they tried to destroy Earth with the black goo. Their entire civilization was probably overrun with the goo and we see the last survivors who have lost their technical know-how from focusing on survival rather than restoration.
>>
File: tuckman.webm (623KB, 392x540px) Image search: [Google]
tuckman.webm
623KB, 392x540px
>Also, there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld - the characters refer to it as such multiple times.
>>
>>83164238
the engineers that died were their liberals.
>>
>>83164238
>David shows Oram his own attempts at creating the eggs. Before descending into the egg chamber, he gives Oram some kind of smelly unguent to smear underneath his nose which he says will keep him safe from the hugger's attentions, and even leans over one of the open ovoids to prove that doing so is safe.
Didn't they establish the aliens wouldn't go after robots? He saw David talking one down moments earlier.
>>
>>83164609
I think Fox is probably involved in a lot of the shitty editing
>>
>>83164238
why does she had to die
>>
>>83164690

well they did look like degenerate versions of Prometheus
>>
>>83164754

cuz fox decided to drop the prometheus story stuff entirely and focus on rehashing Alien as much as possible.
>>
Even if that was the Engineer Homeworld. That doesn't guarantee all Engineers are dead. I mean they've supposedly been around since since we were amoebas.

Wouldn't they be spread across the cosmos, with hundreds of planets colonized?

To think David killed them all would be dumb. God, this whole franchise went to shit.
>>
>>83164612
How would you call these narrative mistakes anything other but plotholes?
>>
>>83164849
are you implying that it hasnt been shit since Resurrection at the absolute latest?
At least Prometheus and Covenant have top tier visuals and sound
>>
Does anyone have a link for this book? I'm an eastern yuropoor and I have to choose between buying this and feeding my 10 gypsy children.
>>
>>83164895

Alien, great horror sci-fi
Aliens, great action sci-fi
Alien 3, I'd say average horror sci-fi
Alien: Resurrection, campiness cheese dialed to 11

They're all great in their own way. Prometheus and Covenant just confused my judgment with pretty visuals.
>>
>>83164849
>Wouldn't they be spread across the cosmos, with hundreds of planets colonized?

Black goo and the subsequent monsters wiped them all out everywhere. No containment was ever successful. Hence why they never went back to finish the job on Earth. The survivors lived a Mad Max post-apocalypse style existence.
>>
>>83164960
>Alien (starship troopers edition)
>great action sci fi

I want reddit to leave
>>
>>83164238
>Dog alien
In the assembly cut of ARE the alien comes from an Ox
>>
>>83164958
https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Covenant-Official-Movie-Novelization/dp/1785654780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495689932&sr=8-1&keywords=alien+covenant+novelization

Well it seems cheap as fuck, there must be probably a free pdf out there too.
>>
>>83164960
Everything except Alien, Prometheus, and Covenant is absolute shit.

Covenant is barely any good though, as it panders to reddit(you)
>>
>>83164238
So now we have to read a book so the director can be a lazy bum, nice cinema you have there Ridley.
>>
>>83164960
jesus christ how can you take a massive shit on prometheus and covenant and then try to defend movies that are objectively worse in most aspects of film making in 3 and R
>>
>>83164492
What kind of advanced shitposting is this? The novel doesn't cost $80.00, and what's more is that you are lowering the overall quality of the board by posting in such an ironically dumb manner.
>>
>>83165095
In defense of 3 & R against Covenant, at least they knew what kind of movies they were and there wasn't major plotholes
>>
File: A.s.e..jpg (63KB, 400x646px) Image search: [Google]
A.s.e..jpg
63KB, 400x646px
on the subject of Alien books, this was a better prequel than either Prometheus of Covenant
>>
>>83165146
Learn satire you dumb redditor
>>
>>83165025
Even though I disagree, that is a very widely held opinion. Calling it Reddit makes you look more Reddit than anything...
>>
>>83165173
>but muh noncanon fanfiction
We reddit
>>
>>83165200
no, that's called shitposting and you shouldn't do it. Ironically or otherwise.
>>
>>83164238
>David nuking Engineers is entirely absent.
Do they explain how David wiped them off the planet in some other way then?

Also does the novel mentions how big Daniels' nipples are?
>>
>>83165255
just because its non-canon, doesn't mean it isn't a better story
>>
>>83165200
>Redditor
>"ironically" shitposting
>"It's called satire"
>calls people Reddit

kys
>>
>>83165223
>Turning alien into rambo in space
>muh aliens

yes, your opinion is reddit.
>>
>>83164492
Even movies are getting DLC? Add-ons that you have to pay for to fill the gaps in the story? What a fucking rip-off.
>>
File: 1459301214104.png (85KB, 279x192px) Image search: [Google]
1459301214104.png
85KB, 279x192px
>>83165200
>shit posts
>calls it satire
>>
>>83165223
>>83165365
I'd like to add that Aliens is the reason why the whole Alien IP went to shit too -- it brought in the muh aliens crowd. Aliens is the reason why AVP exists, why Alien 3 went to shit and why resurrection exists -- it changed the kino tone of the series into shit.
>>
Too bad the movies are considered higher on the hierarchy of canon than the books
>>
>xenomorphs
>created by an android using mutation goo from an ancient civilization

i think this series will turn into one of those situations not knowing is better than actually knowing
>>
>>83164238
>>83164435

still doesn't explain why there's an axe on board
>>
>>83165611
Why is the Axe thing even a meme?
>>
>>83165574

These prequels have just done the same thing Star Wars did by shrinking the universe.

No longer is there the vastness of space and what monsters may hide in it. Everything is now just a callback to scenes from the first Alien film.
>>
>>83165611
wood + cabin
>>
>>83165047
Im pretty sure he meant the Alien dog from Alien 3.
>>
>>83164958
Why not harvest your children for food and print a PDF version of the book on pages made from their skin?

Problems solved.
>>
>>83165846
BRAVO RI(p)Dley
>>
>>83165281
>Do they explain how David wiped them off the planet in some other way then?

Nope.

BUT David does mention that there's several Engineer ships across the planet, all of them sealed and decomissioned in order to stop the virus infection from leaving.
>>
Why does Scott leave out these important little details? Just to piss off those that pay attention?
>>
>>83166203
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5j1Y8EGWnc
>>
File: 1454345622407.gif (64KB, 156x267px) Image search: [Google]
1454345622407.gif
64KB, 156x267px
>>83164238
>Walter leaves the ship first to test the air and water, revealing that it's free from pathogens and pollutants

So after walking ten feet from the ship he confirms the ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET is safe for humans?
>>
>>83166203
>>83166259
Im not sure why the let Scott write scripts or even be part of the creative team.
I mean I get it, he pays the checks, we see his name in the big screen, it's his franchise, but fuck dude he almost senile.
He clearly doesn't care about making sense and his desire to add deep thinking shit created a shit ton of problems inside the time line and continuity.

Can't fox just tell him "woah dude this is absolute shit and there's a like a hundred things that don't make sense, add least add fucking helmets"
>>
>>83164960
>Aliens, great action sci-fi

No, Predator, Robo-Cop, and Total Recall are great action sci-fi. Aliens is a cash-in blockbuster that was apparently bankrolled by the visually dull concrete industry judging from the sets.
>>
>>83166259
I haven't seen the movie, but Shaw seems retarded in this scene. What's her problem? If she hasn't acted like an idiot, and been hit, the engineer might not have reacted violently.
>>
>>83164882
Why would you use a term incorrectly? Are you an idiot?

>plot hole
>In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.
Good examples: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole
>>
>noomie will never punch you in the face and rape you
kill me
>>
>>83166537
The Engineer is a feminist and didn't take kindly to Weyland's attitude.
>>
>>83166552
That literally covers the issues at hand.

>gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot.

The characters are a crew colonists with intensive training and high tech at hand, it goes against all logic and common sense the way they behave in a strange world.

Also the issues in prometheus are even worse.
>>
>>83166625
>The characters are a crew colonists with intensive training and high tech at hand
Examples?

>issues in prometheus are even worse
The film may have issues but not plot holes. Nothing breaks logic in Promtheus like a plot hole.
>>
>>83164435
>surviving neomorph joins the party and does battle with the xeno.
That sounds awesome, why was this not on the fucking movie?
>>
What did David do to Walter?
>>
If you really don't want space suits and helmets there are ways to write them out.

>have small scene during the landing sequence where the ship gets damaged
>have the damaged part be the cargo hold where the space suits are stored
>have character A inform the rest of the crew that the suits can be repaired bu it will take X amount of time
>have character B propose to go out without suits because it looks like the atmosphere isn't toxic
>have the characters debate about it for a bit but in the end deciding they will risk it

It's not that hard
>>
>>83166737
He did the fingering.
>>
>>83164654
>Their entire civilization was probably overrun with the goo and we see the last survivors who have lost their technical know-how from focusing on survival rather than restoration.
like what will happen to us and the whole fukushima situation.
>>
>>83164238

>Also, there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld

pls no
>>
File: Theresa-May.jpg (47KB, 615x411px) Image search: [Google]
Theresa-May.jpg
47KB, 615x411px
>>83164238
The job of novels is literally to do damage control because the movie screenwriter was too lazy/stupid.

Are you fucking serious right now?
>>
>>83164654
You are retarded, an entrie million years old civilizaton that can travel through galaxies getting wiped out by le ebin black goo makes 0 sense, especially considering even humans survived it
>>
>>83167051
>The job of novels is literally to do damage control because the movie screenwriter was too lazy/stupid.

Citation needed.
>>
>>83164238
>Walter leaves the ship first to test the air and water, revealing that it's free from pathogens and pollutants "right down past the molecular level."

Yes, it only takes a ONE TIME test to verify that ALL the air and water on an ENTIRE PLANET are free from all KNOWN pathogens.

Obviously a false negative, and no exploration team would expose themselves to this kind of risk, and even an amateur would be enraged over the plothole that defies the most basic common sense.

DUMBASS
>>
>>83167241
Are you implying that an Android much more advanced than David is not capable of testing the entire air and water of the planet in some minutes?
>>
>>83167081
Their entire industry is built on that purpose you simpleton.
>>
File: 1250065498181.jpg (3KB, 238x195px) Image search: [Google]
1250065498181.jpg
3KB, 238x195px
>>83167384
>Still no citation
>Still no source

I all I read is your sperging about the issue.
>>
>>83167081
>Citation needed.
that was an opinion you fucking wog
>>
>>83167550
>Still no citation
>Still no source
>Still posting without neither

??
>>
>>83167591
(You)
>>
>>83167347
unless he can teleport, no.
>>
File: 1489820273012.png (34KB, 124x142px) Image search: [Google]
1489820273012.png
34KB, 124x142px
>>83167689
>Can't back up his claims with sources
>>
>>83164238
>>83164435
Anybody who isn't autistic shouldn't be wondering about these things.
>>
Will there ever be another Alien movie good enough to be considered canon?
>>
>>83164435
>David then opens a secure line with Weyland Yutani HQ back on earth
So he's still working with the company then. I wonder what that's all about?
>>
So does David just fly from planet to planet spreading this stuff?
>>
>>83168200
>>83168039
He probably doesn't want Weyland Yutani HQ to lay war on him or something for taking the 2000 colonists as his own.

It can sound really stupid, but he probably (at least in the novel) probably contacted them just to say
>hey just a head ups, Im the personal buttler android of the deseased CO of the the company, Im creating a perfect weapon organism, you guys might want to let me go wild because you can totally market it after I finish here
>>
>>83167853
(You)
>>
File: 1427188689585.png (50KB, 277x287px) Image search: [Google]
1427188689585.png
50KB, 277x287px
>>83166338
Not gonna lie, Prometheus and Covenant sounds like a steamy dumb turd of a cashgrab.
>>
>>83168293
Were the colonists even a Weyland Yutani project?
>>
>>83168353

Prometheus was alright. A decent sequel could have explained things that were missing.

Covenant was total shit.
>>
>>83164238
>>83164435
So, should we expect a Director's Cut of the film that fixes all of this?
>>
>>83164492
There's literally nothing new about movie novelizations. You have to go back.
>>
>Alien: In Space That's Why You Need a Fucking Axe
>>
>>83168413
Yep.
Almost 90% of the space travel stuff is always Weyland Yutani related in that universe.
>>
Quick question for yall, just saw this tonight with a buddy and he picked up on something I completely missed, and now I'm really curious about others opinions on it.

Tail end of the movie, facehugger leaps onto....one of the soldiers, I don't know anyones name, and within a matter of SECONDS, far, less than a minute they cut it off and the acid burns the guys face.

They end up getting onto the escape shit, squishing the pursuing alien in the claw, and then ON the ship later another -perfectly- healthy alien shows up. I at first thought this was the original squished aliening, thinking how the FUCK is it still alive/not mangled and he pointed out to me Mr. Acid Face got face hugged

The point of this, TLDR, was acid face really wrapped up long enough to plant an egg, is the....HOURS the spend attached to creatures in every other movie just completely superfluous when they get the job done in like....10 ish seconds?
>>
>>83168590

Novelizations? No.

Novelizations that act to fanwank all the plot and motivation problems of the movie? Yes.
>>
>>83168527
Dunno but with all the missing shit included in the novel, and all the missing shit that was filmed but not included (colonists presentations, shaw and david talking, etc) they can perfectly add more than an hour to Covenant.
>>
>>83168744
No, Fidel was not impregnated, David took facehugger embryos onto the ship in his stomach.
>>
>>83164755
You answered ur own question
>>
>>83168744

That alien was from David
>>
>>83168771

Was it one of his though? The SUPER briefly show like a side shot into the med-bay or w/e and show whats his face blatantly dead, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to see if it was mauling or chest bursting wounds.

Like actual question, I just saw the tons of blood to signify "yeah he ded"
>>
>>83168750
No, you're fucking retarded.
You need to go back now.
>>
>>83168859
The film insinuated that the alien came from him, so yes, he got impregnated in moments.
>>
>>83168859
I don't remember if it was him on the ground, too messy and I was too close to the screen, I assumed it was a female corpse.

However after Oram's alien is killed by the crane you can see the cuban guy is taken into David's care when he presses his hand on the cheek wound. There was enough time for him to sneak something into him after that, I don't think he was impregnated.
>>
>>83164435
>>As the survivors escape the necropolis, the surviving neomorph joins the party and does battle with the xeno.
Fuck and I was wondering what the hell happened with the other Neomorph that survived, why the hell did they just forget about it?
>>
>>83168872

You OK, kid? Novelizations used to be just merchandise, not required reading.
>>
>>83164238
>>83164435

It's too bad the person who wrote the book didn't also write the screenplay then hey

The movie is still shit.
>>
>>83168943

Very true, I suppose there are a lot of ways it could be explained, just wish they had shown that one a little more blatantly.
>>
>>83168958

I thought they killed both Neo's in the movie? There were only two, right? One dies in the explosion or in the field shoot out, then they kill the other in the necropolis when David is "distracting" it.
>>
>>83169046
No, it was briefly shown that the one Neomorph in the landing ship escaped before it exploded, meaning that it was still alive
>>
>>83168353
Prometheus is a pretty good movie
>>
>>83166259

This scene is so fucking retarded, it's like watching star trek
>>
A couple other things that bugged me that I'm curious if anyone else had comment on, not gaping plot holes, just.... annoying mostly time sensitive.

The first, the hugger that gets Orem or whoever, replacement captain guy, anyone else feel like it gestated incredibly fast? There isn't a good, clear passage of time going on at this point, so you could chalk it up to that, still seemed fast to me

Also, when David and Walter really start going at it, aren't they both wearing distinctly different clothes? I feel like it's pretty nit-picky but it's just like...really? He had time to kill Walter, damage him beyond repair, strip his clothes, put Walters on, AND cut off his hand.....really?
>>
>>83164492
>>83165402

Delete this before some Hollywood jew sees it and decides its a good idea
>>
File: 1438980536623.png (428KB, 497x732px) Image search: [Google]
1438980536623.png
428KB, 497x732px
Does anyone else feel sad for Walter?

>service android
>all his life is about doing shit that humans don't want do because it's fucking boring
>he works for years non-stop meanwhile everyone else sleeps
>nonetheless a total bro
>also the colonists crew wasn't composed of assholes or roboracists like the prometheus crew
>Daniels probably even saw him as a friend, and like her only family by the end of the movie
>even if the situation is completly fucked up and almost hopeless, he stands up to the completly batshit crazy old android and will not let his crew get chopped into lab meat
>he doesn't care for all the David deep mumbo jumbo, and pushes his shit
>regardless lost, ended naked and probably dead in a remote lost world

I don't fucking care if it's doesn't make sense or goes over the top, I would be totally okay with Walter using an Engineer ship to intercept David, mess up his plans and crush for good his smug face
>>
>>83169425

Yeah, I was definitely sad to see Walter get the fate he did, bro to the end and it most definitely caused his end.

My buddy fucking *loathes* David, on SO many levels, I think only a small fragment of them are for what he did to Walter.
>>
>>83169425

H-he'll be back. He'll fix the engineer ship and chase after them!
>>
>>83169602
>He'll fix the engineer ship

In the Novel there's hundred of Engineer ships across the planet, they are just sealed (according to david to control the xeno infection, but part was a lie to daniels and co).
And David did teach Walter the engineer song to activate shit.
>>
What about Mother not informing about David being in the shit?
What about Mother not informing about THREE life forms in the ship and not just one?
How's that David can regenerate? he was surprised when he saw Walter alive and without a scar, Walter even said "we were improved", so why David can regenerate?
>>
>>83169425
He's probably still alive since because of his regenarative powers but if David dismemberred him then he's dead for real
>>
>>83169664

>And David did teach Walter the engineer song to activate shit.

I had no idea the relevance of the specific tune from those flute bits, but the VERY specific line in amongst there really stood out to me.

>"Lift up on your fingers when I press on them."

I was POSITIVE this was gonna come back to bite Walter in the ass an it was somehow David secretly measuring Davids strength or something.
>>
>>83169540
>>83169425
>Walter
>Dead
>Or stranded
Well...he autoheals fast, he knows now how to play the flute and the prometheus alien ship works with flute notes...just saying
>>
>10 years before the original Alien
>22nd century
>still carrying 21st century guns
>no M41A and M56 Smartgun
>>
>>83169738

Measuring Walters strength*
>>
>>83169738
Movie was awfuly previsible, srly, generic slasher movies got to surprise me more than Covenant, there were chekov guns everywhere, I knew Walter was going to be killed by a flute the moment David picked it, I knew there was going to be swicheroo the moment David cut his hair, etc
Even the explosion in the module was telegraphed like half an hour earlier

I tried to avoid /tv/ and trailers to not get spoiled but didn't matter, everything was obvious as fuck
>>
>>83169425

Fassbender is so good that he can play a guy who's such a backstabbing pretentious cunt and a guy who's such a bro, both artificial
>>
>>83169730

Oh I completely forgot that was another thing I wanted to say, anyone else find it odd David had his own specific set of name commands to work with the colony vessel that he WAS NOT PART OF. Again, you can kind of swing the argument that "Oh, he's a super important right hand man to original Weyland, he probably had access to all KINDS of shit." But still..... It's not like Weyland corp isn't known for playing the SUPER long game when they have to.
>>
>>83164435
>he surviving neomorph joins the party and does battle with the xeno.

ya wot m8
>>
>>83169774
We still use firearms from way back in 1911, called the M1 garand.
>>
>>83169871
That ship is from 10 years in the future, why still put commands to be accessed by an android that was destroyed 10 years ago?
>>
>>83169871
I had assumed he had reprogrammed Mother to obey him as the ship's resident synthetic by that point.

There's obviously quite a bit of time passing between his initial boarding of the ship and when he puts everyone to sleep.
>>
>>83170282
Why inform of the alien form them?
Also why can't spic soldier tell them some alien shit went through his throat? I he retard?
>>
>>83164238
That oranm sc ne still doesnt make sense
>>
>>83169425
I hope he's still alive but of course he'll arrive too late to stop david.
>>
>>83165844
>everything in the universe is either Weyland-Yuttani or Engineers' fault
just
>>
Didn't see the film. Are the "Engineers" in the trailer really supposed to be Engineers? Did nobody point out that they look completely different?
>>
>>83170792
We don't know. Nothing much is explained about the engineers. Only thing we know is that Shaw's dead, David's crazy, Xenomorphs are made and Weyland Yutani has a policy to hire stupid incompetent people.
>>
File: noomi.gif (950KB, 245x190px) Image search: [Google]
noomi.gif
950KB, 245x190px
Explain in 500 words or less the point of killing off the main of the previous movie.
>>
>>83164238
>Alien Covenant

Not canon.
>>
>>83166708
Got to sell Extended Edition blu-rays somehow.
>>
>>83171172
Ridley Scott was pissed that everyone got the "rapeface" joke so quickly. He thought it was his own silly in-joke. You know, Facehuggers, Rapeface, lmao.
>>
>>83167051
>implying the novelisations aren't written in parallel with the production, and neither writer nor filmmakers know what the other is doing

You know nothing. All the author has to work from is the original screenplay, which directors and editors fuck around with as they see fit.
>>
>>83166691
Such a day defending a dumb movie bro let it go. Are you fucking mental
>>
>>83169087
No it's not.
>>
>>83166537
Shaw was asking real questions though. Weyland has just encountered his fucking god and all he has to say is "Make me immortal". Showing off David like he is a god himself for making an android was also pathetic, considering David was by far a superior being to him.
>>
>>83169871
Legacy.
Look up "On-board diagnostics"
>>
>>83169209
The soldier dude did not get the alien in him from the facehugger. When he got injured, Walter (David) takes care of him after they get back on the ship. David likely infected him at this point, either with black goo or maybe one of the embryos he had.
>>
>>83165172
Resurrection is unforgivably bad; from the moment the opening credits rolled. Watched it recently.
>>
>Make shitty movie full of plotholes
>People complain
>Studio writes a book addressing those specific complaints because they were too stupid to think about it during production of the movie

And you're actually happy about this
>>
>>83164238
Apparently a novels meant to make us all forget that this was a movie and not a piece of shit that requires further reading to maybe, just possibly enjoy.

It sucked.
Get over it.
>>
File: wut.png (248KB, 449x500px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
248KB, 449x500px
>>83170792

>giant bald people in an Alien movie
>are they Engineers?

no they were Yautja.
>>
How did David initially attack Walter before he went after Daniels? Like what did he attack Walter with?
>>
>>83172306
He penetrated him with his flute
>>
1) In Prometheus Engineers had the same primitive looking architecture as in Covenant.
2) In canonical promo to Covenant "The Crossing" is is explicitely said that David and Shaw found the Engineer homeworld and set a route for it. In the end we are shown the arrival to some planet with David dropping bombs, creating a connection in viewers mind, that is's the engineers world.
3) The God himself Ridley Scott recently has said that it was the engineers on the plaza that David killed.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/05/24/ridley-scott-explains-engineers-wanted-kill-mankind-davids-motives/
>Later on in the interview, Scott also clarified David’s motivation for wiping out the Engineers as seen in The Crossing prologue and the brief flashback scene from Alien: Covenant. In discussing David’s creation of the Alien using the black goo, Scott had this to say about why David killed the Engineers:
>“He hates them. He has no respect for Engineers and no respect for human beings.”
>>
>>83164960
Because campy and cheese is what defines a good alien movie.

You're a retard.
>>
File: 1419781140229.png (72KB, 187x179px) Image search: [Google]
1419781140229.png
72KB, 187x179px
>original space jockey is a giant elephant looking thing that's been fossilized
>new engineer is a bit bigger that a human and all the cool alien bits are actually just a suit
>>
File: spess jockey DO NOT WANT.jpg (88KB, 476x604px) Image search: [Google]
spess jockey DO NOT WANT.jpg
88KB, 476x604px
>>83173088

yeah it totally should have looked like this and worn a bubble-helmet space suit while it floats outside spaceships and psychically broadcasts hatred.
>>
>We find out why they run around the planet without helmets; Walter leaves the ship first to test the air and water, revealing that it's free from pathogens and pollutants "right down past the molecular level."

as cringe as the 'molecular acid' from the first movie

>David later tells the crew that because the virus is inert until it senses life, it is impossible to detect even with the most advanced scanning equipment.

if it's sensing it isn't fucking inert

>His attempts to create the alien, seemingly, are trying to emulate this one left by the Engineers.

better

>Before descending into the egg chamber, he gives Oram some kind of smelly unguent to smear underneath his nose which he says will keep him safe from the hugger's attentions, and even leans over one of the open ovoids to prove that doing so is safe.

better

>The flashback with Shaw and David nuking Engineers is entirely absent

it still fucking happened, which is retarded

everything else is whatever except

>As the survivors escape the necropolis, the surviving neomorph joins the party and does battle with the xeno.

this would have been so much fucking better than the fucking lego movie bullshit that happened with the lander
>>
>>83165513
it's official: you literally have to eat your own brain to think aliens is a bad film
>>
File: IMG_4417.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4417.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
Why was Prometheus guy a big bald white dude who looks humman?
>>
>>83173220
That's just one comic artist's interpretation anon and 2bh i honestly would prefer that over albino bald dude
Imagine the whole "we share most dna with them!" scene would be like
>psychically broadcasts hatred.
What?
Sounds rad but what?
>>
>>83167241
Cryosleep causes brain damage.
Ice crystals in the brain. That's the only explanation that makes sense.
>>
>>83164238
>don't forget to purchase the Alien Covenant™ soundtrack too goy!
>>
>>83165513

>le 'good movie is bad because morons learned the wrong lessons from it' meme

it was a classic movie and worked because it was made with hard work, vision and a charismatic cast
>>
>>83164238
What happens to Shaw in the novel? How did she die?
>>
>>83164238
>cringe plot holes that plaged the movie
There weren't any.

Not like Prometheus.
>>
File: ALIENS_BOOK_1_PT6OF6_01.jpg (352KB, 1000x1485px) Image search: [Google]
ALIENS_BOOK_1_PT6OF6_01.jpg
352KB, 1000x1485px
>>83173531

>>psychically broadcasts hatred.
>What?
>Sounds rad but what?

from the first Alien(s) comics, which had to be retconned when Alien3 came out.
>>
>>83173748
this.
if the flashback and nuking scene arent in the novelization.

maybe they're saving that shit for :Origins who knows.
>>
File: ALIENS_BOOK_1_PT6OF6_25.jpg (367KB, 1000x1527px) Image search: [Google]
ALIENS_BOOK_1_PT6OF6_25.jpg
367KB, 1000x1527px
>>83173841

also I guess it tricked people into letting Aliens loose on Earth to do... uh, pretty much what the Black Goo was going to.
>>
File: what's this.jpg (33KB, 242x400px) Image search: [Google]
what's this.jpg
33KB, 242x400px
http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/eq39mD7z/file.html
>>
>>83164238
>no helmets
Alright so ignoring the utter asspull that they can scan for shit down to the molecular level, and then perfectly determine what and what isn't a pathogen, YOU STILL DON'T CONTAMINATE AN ENTIRE ECOSYSTEM WITH YOUR FUCKING EARTH GERMS GODDAMN IT
>>
>>83174601

in b4 >muh transporter buffers
>>
>>83164715

Yeah, but Captain manhattan has autism
>>
>>83164849
They lived like the Krytonians from Man of Steel. They mastered space travel and world engineering, but then... idk... MoS didn't make sense in this regard and neither does this shit.
>>
I don't care about explanations for trivia like not wearing helmets. I care about explanations for why everything that made Alien great was turned into an average fifties B-movie plot.

Oh, wait, I already know the explanation: the director and writers don't understand what made Alien great.

Please stop making this garbage.
>>
>>83165977
I'm guessing the original thought was that David and Shaw get to the Engineer homeworld and find out that they had all already been wiped out by the black goo. Then David kills Shaw or something.
>>
>>83166770
I think it would have added a layer of fear to show the alien spores travel all the way through the respirator on the suits (they are on an oxygenated world after all and wouldn't need a fully enclosed spacesuit, just a biohazard type suit) and still infect people showing that no one is safe.
>>
>>83167418
But he's right. Generally, when an author is commissioned to write the novel for a movie, they are given license to fix simple mistakes that made it through the scripting process.

This is done because, usually (but clearly on in Covenants case) the filmmakers will fix little mistakes in the story as they film. A lot of rewriting takes place during the production of a movie. Granted, it's usually just dialogue polishes.
>>
>>83164238
>sending gay couples to populate a planet
now thats some kek
>>
>>83170943
>Weyland Yutani has a policy to hire stupid incompetent people.

It all makes sense now.
>>
>>83175568
probably get tax breaks from hiring retards.
>>
>>83164238
>>83164435
Actually, thank you for posting this here OP, this was a good read.
>>
>>83175609
The future conservatives want. Pay them less than minimum wage, still get tax breaks.
>>
>>83164238
I want Naomi to dominate me
>>
>>83164238
>there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld

there is absolutely nothing to suggest that was the engineer homeworld, like nothing at all, not even it's inhabitants which are clearly different from the engineers we know
>>
why the fuck would it be their homeworld? it has zero infrastructure.
>>
>>83175609
Shiiiit so the reason David's pissed is because he's this super smart robotman and he's been serving retards all this time? Then did he design the Xenomorphs as retard filters?
>First the spores wipes out stupid scientists that don't wear spacesuits
>Then the eggs wipes out stupid religious captains that think it's easter or something.
>>
Attention! Attention, everyone! The Master, The Maestro of communication and motivation explains David's decision to wipe the engineers:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/05/24/ridley-scott-explains-engineers-wanted-kill-mankind-davids-motives/
>Later on in the interview, Scott also clarified David’s motivation for wiping out the Engineers as seen in The Crossing prologue and the brief flashback scene from Alien: Covenant. In discussing David’s creation of the Alien using the black goo, Scott had this to say about why David killed the Engineers:
>“He hates them. He has no respect for Engineers and no respect for human beings.”

He hates them.

He hates them.

He hates them.

*Curtain drop*

That's it, that's fucking it, I'm out of here.
*Laughs madly*
>>
>>83164238
>Xeno eggs weren't created by David
that's stupid though, they should be
>>
File: 1429919158853.png (74KB, 171x278px) Image search: [Google]
1429919158853.png
74KB, 171x278px
>>83165146
>lowering the overall quality of the board
>>
>>83168744
>>83168771

remember David puts the future bandage on senor Bob's face
>>
>>83164435
What the fuck, why did this get cut
In a movie that's mostly about recycling ideas, it would have been neat to see something interesting like a xenomorph-like creature being anything other than a mindless killing machine
>>
WHEAT LOL AMIRITE GUYS?
>>
>>83169064
But they killed it in the shootout, dont be stupid
>>
>>83164238
more buffed noomi pls
>>
File: 1493999834297.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1493999834297.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>83171679
>cant define what a plot hole is
>cant find example
>well the movie is just dumb
Excellent work, anon.
>>
>>83177457
they didn't, it narrowly escaped
>>
>>83164238
Why didn't they put a marker on one of the androids they looked exactly the same, also did David undress Walter redress himself then cut his own hand off? All within 5 minutes?
>>
>>83177722
Walter is uncut, while David is clipped. That's the reason why he's so mad.
>>
>>83177681
WATCH THE FUCKING MOVIE FOR ONCE
> THING ESCAPES FROM EXPLOSION
>GAY LOVER BACKBURSTS AN NEOMORPH
>ESCAPES
>ONE COMES BACK AND THEY KILL IT
>OTHER COMES BACK AND ESCAPES
>THEN, THAT ONE GETS REKT BY ORAN
>>
File: 1490427577327.jpg (74KB, 658x786px) Image search: [Google]
1490427577327.jpg
74KB, 658x786px
>>83177986
>autism
>>
>>83177722
It's another thing that's really telegraphed and poorly explained. Towards the chaos at the end, we know that

Walter
>Melted Hand
>Able to regenerate minor injuries.
>Lack emotions

David
>Nail wound that daniels jammed into his chin
>Goofy robot man

The android that joined up at the end has
>Melted hand
>Scratches on his cheeks
The scratches kinda suggest that it's David since his can't regenerate his skin, but he's missing the nail wound that Daniels would've spotted easily. Or maybe Daniels is just too stupid to know that Walter can regenerate his skin and blind enough to not see the chin wound.
>>
>>83178168
>Daniels didn't notice the chin
She was inches from his fucking face when doing the razor thing
>>
>>83167080
>especially considering even humans survived i
if this is from the new movie, ok
if this isn't (why I came in to this thread, idk) then it references prometheus, were the religious engineer just drank some goo-lite pepsi, which broke him down in to amino acids really
>>
>>83176348
what the shit.
>>
>>83164238
>novel

FUCK YOU STAR WARS MOUSE KUK

You CANNOT "fix" a movie by expounding at length in secondary sources. If its not on the fucking screen it doesnt count
>>
Wonder if Covenant will get the Giftbringer treatment.
>>
When will autists realize "plot holes" are things that were cut from the film due to give it a decent runtime?
>>
>>83180998

Do you just shout random shit for attention?
>>
File: 1490736553187.jpg (64KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490736553187.jpg
64KB, 960x720px
>>83181070

>this scene would give context to a character's behaviour
>it gets cut, rendering the scene nonsensical
>geez just get over it, they had to think about the running time

Fuck you.
>>
>>83166915
what?
>>
>>83181070
>runtime
Fuck me, the LotR movies are three hours each, more with the EE content. A long runtime isn't against any law if the story calls for it. In fact I'd prefer an extra 20 mins or whatever if it clarifies and deepens the plot.
>>
>>83164238
>Xeno eggs weren't created by David
>David shows Oram a petrified facehugger's egg, which he reveals he euthanised because it was too aggressive. Oram looks inside this egg, at David's urging, and is comforted to find that the hugger inside is, as promised, quite dead. Tantalisingly, he mentions that this was left behind by the Engineers, saying it is a "supreme example of their skill." His attempts to create the alien, seemingly, are trying to emulate this one left by the Engineers. He also confirms that the aliens take on characteristics of their host species, a la the Dog Alien from Alien 3, which is a nice little detail.

Knew it.
>>
>>83164238
>Apparently the Novel

Are you fucking joking?

Trying to save the movie by filling plotholes in a book that's not even going to be canon is laughable.
>>
>>83181146

at this point the convention of cutting essential scenes that explain away major plotholes in favor of a shorter runtime is a cornerstone of the alien franchise.
>>
>>83181535

Fucking BvS did this too, and it wasn't just runtime it was to preserve the rating in some regards but then there are others that make no sense other than FUCK THIS CHARACTER

>why should we need to see Clark Kent doing his fucking job and investigating Batman, who cares about Clark Kent? Don't forget to take out that scene of him helping survivors after the senate explosion, Superman doesn't help people if he has the chance to.
>>
If there are multiple alien ships on the planet in book canon / no David bio nuking the city scene i guess it is supposed to retcon the fact that engeneer homeworld looked like fuckin pompeii teir shit with everyone gaping up at david's big space ship like mud people.
>>
>>83164238
In the original rejected scenario, the movie was supposed to explains Jesus Christ was an Engineer thing for humanity, but they killed him, so they get butthurt and decided to wipeout humanity.

Alien it's turning to become science fiction for christfags.
>>
>>83181723
any source on this? it is extremely stupid and literal.
>>
>>83172219
Except the "Engineers" in Covenant look nothing like that, aside from the traits you described. Come the fuck on.
>>
>>83181791
>>83181723
>any source on this?

Look the most recent Ridley interviews and prometeus specials, he goes into an awful lot of details about shit that SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE MOVIES but gets cut anyways.
Then Riddley goes "oh yeah yeah this and this, we didn't had time to include it"

Fuck that guy
>>
File: 1495603006002.jpg (894KB, 1500x1926px) Image search: [Google]
1495603006002.jpg
894KB, 1500x1926px
>>83169209
>>
File: kill maim kill.jpg (27KB, 636x636px) Image search: [Google]
kill maim kill.jpg
27KB, 636x636px
>>83166783
>watching film in cinema
>this line comes
>people burst out laughing uncontrollably

>film ends
>people clap
>>
>>83173599
It's the re4 argument
>>
>>83168771
>>83168819
You see that guy with a burst open chest in the med bay. The alien definitely came from him.
>>
Is the movie worth watching?
>>
>>83184684
It's pretty entertaining, pretty visuals, the events aren't as cringe as /tv/ paints them and in general you will enjoy it even if you already spoiled it yourself.

For example myself I never saw any of the older alien movies in the theaters because I was like 10 back then, didn't watched prometheus because I didn't had the time, so I decided to watch Covenant even after /tv/ spoiled me with the constant threads about it.
The first 45 minutes are top tier, excelent music, visuals, the ship looks really good, the whole colonist travel vibe is really great.
Afterwards the movie takes a small dive in quality but remains enjoyable nonetheless.
So yeah I would recommend you to go see it, even with all it's problems is good enough and not as bad as /tv/ says.
>>
>>83172844
>The God himself, Ridley Scott

>Aging, senile director revisits old franchise in which he made his name. Hopes to capture original magic, show everyone he's still got it.

>Turns out, the magic was due to a perfect storm of collaboration and strife between a group of writers, artists and producers, all of whom are now gone.

>Aging senile director fumbles together unsatisfying mess of a movie, disappoints fans
>Makes a trilogy of the mess, just to be sure

Many such cases, very sad!
>>
>>83184875
did you already know what happens in prometheus? i can't imagine following or enjoying the trainwreck that was AC without context for david's origins beyond that first scene.
>>
Coming up with bullshit apologetics after the fact is way more cringey than just making a bad movie.
>>
>>83185297
Yup.
I watched all the old movies with my father and brother back then when I was a kid, I liked them.
I did rewatched them later when I was older and I liked them more.
I watched Prometheus as soon as the blueray rip (or whatever these are called now) was out, I was dissapointed because Ridley sold me the concept of prometheus as "hey bro want some answers from questions you didn't asked?" So I was curious but the movie just raised more questions and gave nothing in return, still pretty visuals.

Now I watched covenant and still not a lot of answers, more questions and I get this trainwreck vibe that I don't like at all, but I gotta admit that Im just sticking with these movies because I like David and I want to see how much shit he fucks up and I hope he somehow gets a free pass for all of it, hopefully as king of The Company somehow.
>>
Covenant and further projects get canned.
BUT, we get a whole remake trilogy for the franchise, and Ridley is not in charge of the script anymore.

Who you cast?
>>
I don't know the name of the main actress from Covenant but she was cute as fuck
>>
>>83165323
How is it a better story?
>>
So let me get this straight.

Ridley gets paid $60000000 to come have his wankfest, and then they stick some broke no-name writer with the task of fixing and correcting all of the retarded shit he left in it? In a book no one will read?

It didn't fly for Star Wars. It won't fly here.
>>
>>83186449
That would be worse than anything. Kill yourself.

Give us new stories in a universe with multiple alien species. And I mean ALIEN species. One's that don't already know us ffs.
>>
>>83188315
Who ever greenlit this project?
Like if you see Ridley talk he looks senile as fuck, he can't even talk like a normal person anymore, who the fuck this was a good idea to invest millons of dollars in?
>>
>>83181404
>A long runtime isn't against any law

No, but it's discouraged by the cinemas. They want as many screenings per day as they can get, after all. Epic-length movies have to fight for that kind of runtime and directors are just as willing to cut off a minute here & there to meet whatever goal they're looking for.

>>83174601

Remember, they weren't there for science, they planning on living there since it was better than where they had been planning to go and none of them wanted to get back in the pods after what had happened to the captain.
Thread posts: 239
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.