[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since people are finally starting to change their minds about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 13

Since people are finally starting to change their minds about the Star Wars prequels, how much longer until it's ok to like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull too? I never really got the hate for this one, it's not even the worst Indy movie.
>>
>>65058815
>it's not even the worst Indy movie.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>65058957
Last Crusade was shit.
>>
>>65058815

I never understood all the vitriol aimed at it either. Ayy lmaos aren't any more ridiculous than face-melting ghosts living in a treasure chest or a 1,000 year-old knight guarding a magic cup.
>>
>>65058815
It's definitely the worst. Shame too since you could tell Ford was really trying but Spielberg and Lucas just didn't have it anymore.
>>
>>65059004
seriously consider suicide
>>
>>65058815
It will never be ok.
>>
>>65059013
Lucas actually held the franchise hostage for 18 years because he wouldn't sign off on another Indy unless aliens were in it and refused to compromise.
>>
>>65059005
That's what I have always been saying. Indy films have always had supernatural elements. I don't see why interdimensiomal beings cross the line
>>
I called this shit. I knew it. I knew this was gonna be the next contrarian meme. There are now going to be people actually advocating that this steaming pile of shit is a good movie.
>>
>>65058815
>liking the prequels

Opinion discarded.
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 736x1137px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 736x1137px
I totally agree. It was 20 years later and totally appropriate subject matter/aesthetic for the 1950s rather than the 30s.

Anyone who says it was better than Tenpke of Doom is either a retard or hasn't actually seen Temple since childhood. Movie is a fucking shitpile.

Crystal Skull wasn't that bad.
>>
>>65059060
That sucks. However Ford and Spielbergs idea of having Nazis be the bad guys again would also probably have sucked.
>>
>>65059100
the soviet bad guys was fine, it's the ayy lmaos that ruined it
>>
>>65059125

How
>>
>>65059099
Temple is the patrician's Indiana Jones film.
>>
>>65059060
hello reddit
>>
>>65059061
That was only a complaint before the movie was released. Once it did the focus shifted to the movie's numerous other problems. Terrible writing, shoe-horned fan service, shit cgi and pacing, etc.
>>
>>65059148
Because they weren't Nazis or biblical occult shits, duh. If it isn't exactly the fucking same as the old shit it's THE WORST.
>>
>>65059100
Hellboy (movie and comics) had cool post WWII nazi stuff so it might have worked. Ford and Spielberg's ideas (Nazis hiding out in Argentina) never got fleshed out into a full script.
>>
>>65058815
you're trying so hard to force this meme. it's dumb. just stop.
>>
>>65059153
If I'm reddit then so is Lucas so those are his words.
>>
>>65058815
>how much longer until it's ok to like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull too?
when the next one comes out
>>
>>65058815
I agree OP I like Crystal Skull better than Temple of Doom, but it can't compare to the rest.
>>
>>65059233
*since, not so
>>
File: 2341.jpg (46KB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
2341.jpg
46KB, 448x252px
>>65058815
>being okay with the monkey scene
>>
>>65059200
Because that shit is played out.
>>
>>65059275
As though that was worse than the life raft scene or mind car scene in Temple.
>>
>>65059004
Wow you are an idiot. The kind of idiot that stand out among other idiots because of the magnitude of his idiocy.
>>
File: 4823823432.jpg (127KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
4823823432.jpg
127KB, 640x480px
>>65059339
but it really is worse
>>
>>65058815
I honestly think it is mostly decent.

Most of the complaints I find are nitpicks
>DUDE FRIDGE LMAO
>monkeys that are on screen for barely any time
>Indiana Jones can't have aliens because I said so
>>
>>65059004
Wow, I hope you get cancer.
>>
>le fridge faec
>>
>>65058815

KOTCS is one of my guilty pleasures
>>
>>65058815
Its not. Also if Indie had done nothing in 3rd movie nazis would still have died.
Shit shit shit.
>>
>>65059167
>shit cgi
Seriously what the fuck was up with that? The worst offender is the cg gopher in the opening that gets 4 separate reaction shots. Who thought that was a good idea?
>>
I just watched the Plinkett review for this again at work tonight, and it's still much more entertaining than the movie itself.
>>
>>65059555
>Also if Indie had done nothing in 3rd movie nazis would still have died.

same with the first, he didn't even stop them
>>
>>65059555
You mean the first movie.
>>
File: 1437285583184.png (77KB, 251x259px) Image search: [Google]
1437285583184.png
77KB, 251x259px
>>65059339
>mind car
>>
>>65059580
Jungle chase was way worse. Breaks my heart that they were going to do it practically at first but ran out of time.
>>
>>65058815
Whoever came up with having Indy in silhouette looking up at a mushroom cloud to establish where we are now: This is an awesome idea. OR IS IT? Maybe if we had come up with a real great reason. The knowledge that Indy had an extensive WW2 career is excellent. Could have used that! As it stands, Indy gazing upon a nuke sounds like particularly thoughtful but nonetheless lame Internet fan fiction. I really want to be in love with that image, but I was given nothing but the image.

Same for the aliens stuff. Great idea. Still love it, whereas others thought aliens don't belong here. The Roswell aliens actually being RETURNING aliens that send us off on some archaeology could be cool. But it wasn't.
>>
>>65058815
The movie is good up until after they raid that tomb. The fridge scene itself is good, but him escaping in the fridge is retarded and yes, way more stupid then the raft and minecart scene.
>>
>>65059611
I guess can't recall. The premise was moronic and not needed. Guess the 3rd was the cup one? Garbage. Worse than SW. OT, PT, and Tfa > Skull as well. Should have shit more of those every decade instead.
>>
>>65058815
the mine car scene and the life raft shit in temple were really really bad after watching them again. They were cool when I was a kid, but just so stupidly unrealistic in retrospect.

Why the fuck would you have a mine car that goes 200 fuckin mph up and down like a rollercoaster? It's for carrying rocks slowly out of a mine, not funtimes. Also why two tracks side by side that join and split randomly? What function does this serve?

And why jump out of a perfectly good plane in a life raft? OK the plane is out of gas, glide it in for a landing somewhere, your chances are not that terrible. As opposed to jumping out the door in a fucking life raft from 6k feet? That seems like the more survivable plan? That was really just as bad as the fridge scene.
>>
>>65059722
Yeah, the aliens stuff is actually the least of the movie's problems. I mean, the whole ALIENS AND PREHISTORY trope feels a bit done to a generation that grew up with the Fox network, but there was promise there! And if you trust anyone to present a fresh take on an old subject, you trust Spielberg.

Did this movie need more aliens? Should it have ditched archaeology and gone full-on sci-fi with INDIANA JONES VERSUS THE SAUCER MEN? I don't know! Probably not! I liked having Indy back in a jungle, for what it's worth. Too bad the movie has gone totally limp by the time they get there.

I mean they introduce a vehicle with two giant sawblades attached the front and then do NOTHING with it. Imagine if in THE LAST CRUSADE the tank went off the cliff 20 seconds after Indy hopped on board.
>>
>>65059724
this, except the raft scene is just as bad
>>
>>65059765
true, ill take it back
>>
>>65059763
Also the jungle was CG or plastic the light made no sense and the green screen looked like attack of the clones. I was comparing it to Lost World tonight in my head trying to decide which was worse. This is worse I think. It makes no sense and looks absolutely terrible and fake for so much of the running time. I mean, GOD, the jeep duel where Shia and Cate are just standing on their green screen stages with wind machines pretending to hop from jeep to jeep goes so fakely for soooo loooong.
>>
>>65059835
Again it's the missed opportunities that anger me rather than the shit that ended up on screen.

You've got two cars riding next to each other adjacent to a GIGANTIC cliff and one of the cars DOESN'T go over the edge? You could give a pile of CRYSTAL SKULL toys to three eight-year-olds and end up with MUCH better action set pieces - probably a more engaging story, too.

Yeah, this is worse than TLW. As unpleasant and dumb as that film is it's got some sequences that work. CRYSTAL SKULL's best scene is the man-eating ants fight and even that has problems.
>>
>>65059238

This is the answer and you all know it. As soon as Chris Pratt stars in a loose remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark, KOTCS will suddenly become an underrated patrician masterpiece you all loved the whole time.
>>
>>65059724
fucking this. the motor cycle chase, indy running around a nuke town, the fun tom raiding sequence. JUST like The Force Awakens, it tricks you into thinking its going to be good by starting out good then out of no where goes full retard.
>>
anyone who legitamtly thinks Temple is worse than this is a lier, has shittaste, is stupid, or is speilbergo who has no balls anymore
>>
>>65060014
Wasn't Temple of Doom made while Lucas was going through a horrible divorce? It's a very bitter and angry movie. In terms of construction, pace etc it's nowhere near the perfection of Raiders, but it is arguably the more interesting movie.

Last Crusade is very much a middle-aged movie. It doesn't have the ruthlessness of the earlier films, there's a cosiness to the setup that sits awkwardly with the plucky two-fisted hero of the previous stories. The emphasis is more on the comedy, and it goes out of its way to deflate and poke fun at Indy's heroic status. Bringing back popular characters from Raiders, and using them as comic relief, also defangs the series a bit. Turning Brody from a capable ally to bumbling idiot is, perhaps, an early foreshadowing of the Lucas that would think Jar Jar was a good idea.

But it's still enormous fun. In fact, it plays very much like Spielberg and Lucas at their most playful. I think that diminishes it as an Indy movie, but it doesn't make it a bad film in itself. The spark is still very much there.
>>
>>65059896
or maybe this board won't be full of contrarian faggots
>>
>>65059395

This would actually be an entertaining debate between Butters and Coach McGurk.
>>
File: image.jpg (12KB, 213x160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12KB, 213x160px
>>65059613
Lol. Meant "mine car" but that was a pretty hilarious typo.
>>
>>65058815
I've never thought Kingdom was shit. Aliens are no more ridiculous than the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a GOOD movie, but I'm happy to give it 5/10 - an average mark.

It's certainly not as bad as Temple of Doom, at any rate.
>>
File: wat.jpg (69KB, 556x370px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
69KB, 556x370px
>>65060207
Its starting
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 662x366px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 662x366px
I have no idea why people are so upset with the alien shit. It is time-period appropriate and they had to do something to acknowledge that it's the 1950s and the Soviets are the baddies.
My hats off to them. WWII was pretty much the end of our mythologized magical past and the beginning of our bitter paranoia. Part due to people bring smarter and having access to mass communication, and part to do with the fact that the frontiers of the world were over. Space and The Bomb were pretty much all anyone could think about for the next 50 years.
>>
>>65058815
>Raiders=Lethal Weapon=Die Hard
>TOD=Lethal Weapon II=Die Hard 3
>Last Crusade=Lethal Weapon IV=Die Hard 2
>KOTCSl=Lethal Weapon 3=Live Free or Die Hard

I won't stand for anyone disagreeing with this.
>>
>>65060328
It hasn't just started. I just checked and in 2008 I actually gave it 6/10 - which is higher, not lower, than what I would currently give it.
>>
>>65060353
Most people who hate the movie never cared about the aliens though. It's shit aside from that.
>>
File: Diplomatic Immunity.jpg (87KB, 468x199px) Image search: [Google]
Diplomatic Immunity.jpg
87KB, 468x199px
>>65060380
But anon Lethal Weapon 2 was better than Lethal Weapon.
>>
>>65060412
I dunno. People seemed to be really stuck on that aspect at the time.

My only real gripe was the shitty CGI in the jungle. Although I think we're only just now getting into the great revival period of practical effects.
>>
>>65060439
thats the point
>>
>>65060479
But anon Raiders was the best Indy movie and Die Hard was the best Die Hard movie.
>>
>>65060454
At the time, yes. When it was leaked that there were aliens in the movie people on the internet were extremely asshurt but since the movie came out the focus shifted to other problems in the movie.
>>
>>65060491
ive heard a surprising amount of people say that DH3 is the best but i digress.

it doesnt matter what order the indy trilogy is just so long as CS is always at the bottom
>>
>>65060527
But anon Temple of Doom is the worst Indy movie.
>>
>>65060543
and that is factually wrong
>>
>>65060615
>factually
>citation needed
>>
>>65060380
This is perfect.

>Raiders=Lethal Weapon=Die Hard

Tightly scripted serious action film. Your Dad loves this one.

>TOD=Lethal Weapon II=Die Hard 3

Darker and more violent sequel that is more sloppily constructed while still being fun. Your teenage self loved this one.

>Last Crusade=Lethal Weapon IV=Die Hard 2

Comfy sitcom one that has the most jokes. Your whole family loves this one.

>KOTCS=Lethal Weapon 3=Live Free or Die Hard

The one everyone describes as "the bad one" that never leaves the boxset. No one likes this one except contrarians on the internet.
>>
>>65060439
Always thought LW1 was kind of boring myself. Prefer the Looney Tunes quality the second movie had. Also 2 has Joe Pesci and the funny Michael Kamen South African bad guy theme.
>>
>>65058815

That movie was fucking awful dude. Please don't start this shit.
>>
>>65062220
Prepare yourself for the era of eternal shitty forced memes
>>
>>65059060
Source: Your ass.
>>
>>65063011
It's in The Complete Making of Indiana Jones book officially commisioned by Lucasfilm faggot. Look for yourself in the Crystal Skull development section.
>>
>>65058815
People let their nostalgia blind them.
>>
>>65063089
What's sad is that Spielberg finally gave in around '95 but then Independence Day came out and made him change his mind because he didn't want to be seen as copying them.
>>
>>65058815
Only Reddit changed their minds about the prequels.
>>
>>65064600
That sucks. Ford was still somewhat trying back then and Connery wasn't retired. Lost potential.
>>
raiders was the only great indy movie
>>
>>65062262
This. I strongly suspect it is one guy, one pathetically autistic butthurt red pilled polack who is trying to force le Lucas wuv right meme. The Prequels sucked balls. Indy Crystall balls sucked balls. Lucas was a great visionary and pioneer of sfx but he is a shit director. The original Star Wars was great in spite of him, through the intervention of more competent people.
>>
>>65064781
what exactly does /pol/ have to do with anything you booty blasted redditor faggot? you people are the absolute worst on this board anyway
>>
>>65059004
Stop triggering me anon!
>>
>>65058957
/thread

Eat shit and die OP!
>>
>>65059499
Aliens undermine all of the religious elements of the series up to that point.

But there's plenty more wrong with the movie.
>>
So we all agree that Raiders is the greatest b-movie ever made?
>>
>>65059005
It skips a step

Magical legend -> It was real
vs
Magical Legend -> The legend isn't real -> It's modern explanation is real -> This explanation is aliens
>>
>>65059005

The aliens were fine. It's everything else that was terrible. Everything was awkward, strangely paced and framed, and weirdly acted.
>>
Raiders - 8/10
Doom - 5/10
Crusade - 6/10
Skull - 4/10
>>
>>65066657
Don't forgot the terrible cg. I just rewatched the jungle chase and Shia gets hit in the balls by an terrible looking cg cactus 10 times.

10 fucking times.
>>
>>65066806

Shia was the only one who tried to take his role seriously. Harrison Ford was an embarrassment, just like in TFA, and Karen Allen was just happy to be in front of a camera again.
>>
>>65066882
I thought Harrison was fine. My expectations were rockbottom low at the time though. But in any case he's really hit the wall since then. I agree he was abominable in TFA.
>>
>>65066923
he was awful, he had zero of the spark he had from the previous movies
>>
>>65066689
Raiders - 8/10
Doom - 6/10
Crusade - 7/10
Skull - 4/10
>>
>>65060046
you write your thoughts well anon
good post
>>
>>65066439
this, people arguing all this DUDE THEY WORK PERFECTLY probably forgot the themes and tones of the first three
>>
>>65060130
lol I am picturing it
too true
>>
>>65066439
not a religious person by any means
that being said
you are correct
>>
>>65067382
Which are?
Did you even see Crystal Skull? They used the aliens in a way where they work exactly the same. Stop being a faggot
>>
crystal skull in the spooky dark area where that one guy rolls around like some weirdass mexican ninja or something.

no one ive watched it with cares but damn its stupid and really bargin bin cheap looking.
>>
>>65067468
Just don't show the fucking aliens!!! Literally do everything they did in the film and when they get to the temple some other shit happens. Just don't show the fucking aliens, let it be a fucking mystery. You stop being a faggot.
>>
>white guy goes to nonwhite places
>rummages around their sacred tombs and shit
>steals the treasure inside
>gives it to American and European universities

Anyone else see how complications could arise were we to play this to modern audiences? I love the movies but I think its best we leave the franchise buried lest it becomes the next racial battleground
>>
>>65059004
And you kiss your mother with that mouth?
>>
>>65067717
everytime hes stopping nazis or assholes.
they dont give it back because theyd just steal it again.
>>
>>65067759
I know, it's just not worth it. I dont want to reas debates online about why the next actor to play Indiana Jones isn't a black guy like there are about casting for the upcoming Han Solo movie

I just dont. Leave the franchiee alone.
>>
>>65067706
Oh, right. Just like they don't show them opening the Ark and having ghosts fly out and melt peoples faces, or having them show a man rip another still beating man's heart from his body. Or showing a ghost knight protecting the holy grail. You like that kind of mystery I guess.

Faggot.
>>
>>65067351
Raiders - 8/10
Doom - 4/10
Crusade - 7/10
Skull - 5/10
>>
>>65060188
>hating the mine cart scene

you must be a laugh to be around
>>
>>65067851
> kotcs > tod

shit taste
>>
>>65067812
The series should be left alone but not for that reason.
>>
>>65067925
Nostalgia goggles, there are no correct answers, aliens no more ridiculous than biblical artifacts, etc, etc.
>>
>>65067963
>nostalgia goggles

i literally saw them all at the sae time the 4th one came out
>>
>>65067981
Yeah? Fair enough. Agree to disagree, then.
>>
>carry around ayyylmao head.
>it wants to be returned and controls you.
wtf did it do just roll off on its own?
>>
>>65066689
>doom 5/10
fucking end your life
>>
File: 1446418104957.jpg (111KB, 735x960px) Image search: [Google]
1446418104957.jpg
111KB, 735x960px
I never hated it. I've been saying that since it came out. I don't understand what is so god damn out of place about aliens when going for a 50s Cold War aesthetic in an Indiana Jones movie. Including Area 51 as a location is the first thing I would think of when making it, and that would naturally lead to aliens.

I only don't like it because it lacks the comfiness of the 80s movies. I order a pizza and drink a six pack while watching the Last Crusade every six months, it's become pretty much a tradition for me.
>>
>>65068283
the problem arent the aliens itself, the problem was especially
>how the aliens were shown (IN YOUR FUCKING FACE, BOOM, LOOK AT THE HUGE ASS SPACESHIP FUCK YEAH)
>the extremely shitty cgi
>some extremely retarded scenes that destroyed the movie (laboof swinging with the monkeys, hiding in the fridge and so on)
and, as you said it, it just isnt comfy.
>>
File: 1341462366843.png (194KB, 600x550px) Image search: [Google]
1341462366843.png
194KB, 600x550px
>yfw JJ Abrams does an Indiana Jones reboot with Beastie Boys music and 1 billion lens flares
>>
>>65068809
id pay top dollar to hunt and kill a koala
>>
>>65060046
>divorce
Both Lucas and Spielberg were going through divorces at the time actually so that explains the mean-spirited tone of the movie. Also explains Spielberg hooking up with Capshaw on set.
>>
>>65060774
>The one everyone describes as "the bad one"
Die Hard 5 is much worse than 4
>>
>>65069557
4 was the first movie in a really long time i think it just triggered everyone with disappointment.

also that blatant next gen nerd pandering.
>>
They should just abandon the Indy character and go with the adventures of Short Round. It could set in Asia and be like Big Trouble in Little China.
>>
>>65070953
shhhhh ooorrrr ttttt round

crystal go's downhill very rapid once shia shows up, then even further down the shit hole when karen allen pops up ,

temple 11/11
raiders 10/11
crusade 9/11
alien's 2/11

best scene in crytal skull in my opinion is near the end ,,,,,,,,,,,,,when the interdimentionals leave to go back to the space between spaces , it was so cool , but the movie is just so bad.
>>
>>65072025
Do you have autism lad?
>>
>>65058815

the prequels and crystal skull are dogshit and that will never change

people just praise the prequels to be contrarian now that TFA did well
>>
>>65072142
I still give TPM 5/10, AotC 4/10 and RotS 6/10, same as I always did.
>>
>>65072207

rots is so bad its good
tpm is just fucking boring and shit
aotc might be the worst movie ive ever seen in my life
>>
PART TIME!
>>
>>65072371
Part time.
>>
File: breh.jpg (3MB, 3702x5526px) Image search: [Google]
breh.jpg
3MB, 3702x5526px
I'd nuke that fridge
>>
>>65058815
>Since people are finally starting to change their minds about the Star Wars prequels
Those shit films will always be horrible and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>65058815
It does suck. People often think it does for the wrong reasons ("but muh fridge scene", "but muh aliens"), but there's still plenty wrong (old HarFord, monkeys, nonsensical storyline...)
>>
>>65073099

>tfw youll never get fdau thicktina
>>
do not ask permission to like a movie. ever.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.