[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

without Jar Jar, is this movie really that bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: phantommenace.jpg (88KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
phantommenace.jpg
88KB, 500x750px
without Jar Jar, is this movie really that bad?
>>
>>64719008
darth maul bothers me, he's just there but i guess thats effective too because of that
>>
>>64719008
no. I've just seen it for the first time ever. it would have been on par with IV-VII if it werent for the shitty forced jar jar moments. looking forward to II and III
>>
>>64719008
but jar jar is the key to everything though
>>
with or without jar jar, this movie isnt that bad, it's just bland. that goes for all the prequels. they're not engaging
>>
Redditor reporting in. I like this move more than TFA with or without jar jar.
>>
>>64719183
Underrated post.
>>
>>64719008
My only problem is that it isn't needed to understand the rest of the films.

I mean there's some bits of attack of the clones where having watched phantom menace would help understanding, namely related to Padme/the plot against her; but other than that there isn't anything that would throw you off
>>
>>64719008

Yes. Jar Jar is really the least of its problems, he's just the most visibly annoying of them.
>>
It's a really good movie on its own, it's just not a good Star Wars movie

Lucas's refusal to pander to fans and pop-culture ruined him
>>
>>64721867
I know what youre trying to say but this logic makes no sense. Without the star wars this movie is shit. You can't treat it as a standalone movie
>>
Yes.
Anakin's actor and character are both insufferable. The CG is still bad. The podracing scene is still stupid and tiresome. The trade federation aliens are still ridiculous. The droidekas still make all OT technology look retrograde. Liam Neeson still sounds like he's tired and bored. Midichlorians still reduce a semi-mystical concept to the X-gene. The chosen one/prophecy/virgin birth shit still makes Anakin into an extremely low-grade Christ knock-off.

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting.
>>
>>64719008
pic related. And - Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-this thread.
>>
>>64721867
no it's NOT a good movie. its a professional movie that's it.
>>
>>64722375
damn it would have been cool if anakin was a problem child who showed clear signs of mental illness, delusions of grandeur or like harming animals or something (I'm not a writer, but you get the gist). He's just a happy go lucky kid. Would have added a lot of depth, the fact that he goes on to become a mass murderer is completely surprising based on his character. What characteristics does he have in TPM that suggest his susceptibility to the dark side
>>
File: 1452473403526.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1452473403526.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>64722551
>phantom menace
>its a professional movie
>>
>>64722080

Ehh. Minus Jar-Jar, I think you could remove 500 words from the script and the movie would be a full star better.
>>
>>64721867
pm was the first star wars movie i've seen and i bloody loved it

too bad george chained himself to the star wars series due to his promising of three trilogies
>>
>>64719008
Hmm lets see

>boring plot about a trade dispute
>boring politics with cgi aliens
>shit dialogue
>boring souless action
>bad actors

Yeah it's awful.
>>
>>64719171
Thinking about it, he really just shows up randomly doesn't he? like I can sorta get the tattoine one as his tracking them, but on Naboo isn't he just like chilling in a hallway hoping that the jedi show up?
>>
>>64719008

Its really good. Not as good as episode 2 or 3 though
>>
>>64719008
yes
>>
>>64719008
Yes
>>
>>64727852
Sidius sent him with the Trading Federation guys, they were actually scared of him.
>>
>>64719008
If you cut out all the scenes with Jar Jar then the movie would have an hour of its screentime cut.
>>
>>64719008
It had what it needed to be good but just wasn't.
The bare bones of the movie was good and could be kept. The various problems were:
The poignant, emotional, and general feels moments mostly fell flat.
The Gungans were over done. They could have been okay but they weren't.
The clusterfuck that was the climax. You had the Gungan fight, the space battle, the palace fight, and the jedi fight. The only one of those that was engaging and had any impact was the jedi fight.
Lack of general focus.

No, it wasn't good.
>>
File: dellow felagates.jpg (86KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
dellow felagates.jpg
86KB, 1280x544px
I recently went back and re-watched the Prequels. TPM is still my favorite story out of them. It does have very dated CGI compared to RotS, but it also uses FAR less green-screen than AotC and RotS. They filmed on location in Tunisia/New Zealand, and actually built sets for the interiors of ships, and it shows.
Jar Jar wouldn't be that bad if he didn't say stupid things during serious scenes; I would've accepted him more if he was used appropriately. His character is even hated by the other humans at first, and they think he's basically retarded
>"The ability to speak does not make one intelligent"
> - Qui-Gon "tell it like it is" Jin
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.