[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Revenant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (30KB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 640x266px
Just got back from it.
>unparalleled intensity
>10/10 cinematography
>almost no dialogue from Leo
>entire theatre was silent upon leaving
I loved it. There were a few things that were blatantly obvious and easy to see coming, but overall I thought it was fantastic.
>>
Seeing it tomorrow. Am I in for a treat?
>>
The cinematography was fantastic for sure. I didn't really care for all the artsy bullshit they pulled with Leo seeing his dead wife and whatnot.

Overall I enjoyed it, solid 8/10
>>
>>64645921
Loved it. Cinematography was gorgeous. Acting was bretty gud too.
>>
>>64645972
It felt like they were trying to be Terrence Malick in 'The New World'.
>>
Hey I'm making a movie called The Revenant and it's really good because it's about like survival and man vs nature and stuff and it's going to have really good cinematography by that guy who did the dinosaur movie and it'll be artistic because I'll cut to shots of nature when there's intense stuff happening to show how epic nature is like omg and I'm going to shoot it in long takes because all the best directors do it and I'm one of those great directors like Tarkovsky because I'm going to have the mother levitating like in Mirror and it'll be really dreamlike and cool because the camera isn't on a tripod and it's like that guy who did the dinosaur movie where it's all flowing and beautiful but I'm going to make it violent and cool by having close ups so extreme that Leo's breath gets on the lens and I'm making everything super violent like Tarantino epic I know right but it'll be serious and it'll show how man are animals and how we're worse than the savages because we cut people's hands off and stuff but that's not all because it'll have super deep philosophy and there'll be a monologue where God is a squirrel and he gets killed and eaten because god is dead and we have killed him you know like Neechy but only super deep thinkers will get it like me god damn it I'm so smart. 0/5
>>
>>64645951
Hell yeah
>>
>>64645921
LEO HAS BEEN WEARING HIS RED KABBALAH BRACELT ON EVERY INTERVIEW

HE HAS BEEN NON_STOP RUNNING ON ABOUT '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''CLIMATE'''''''''''''''''''''''''CHANGE''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' POLAR ICE CAPS TROPICS DEAD ANIMALS OUR FATE IS IT TOO LATE?

HE IS PLAY BALL. HE WILL WIN THE OSCAR
>>
>>64645951
Yes
>>
>>64646134
DUDE, EPIC xDD
>>
I had to take a piss break about an hour in. When I came back, Glass had a fire going. Did they show how he started it? Did he have flint?

Hardy was goat, Gleason was the unexpected great performance. When he learned about the betrayal, holy fuck.
>>
>>64646194
Yes, he had flint and steel and a little bit of gunpowder with him.
>>
You could tell it hit everyone hard. Huge theater, almost stone silent the whole time, felt like a funeral at the end when everyone left. Hardy and Leo were fantastic.
>>
File: Jeremiah.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
Jeremiah.gif
2MB, 235x240px
Reminded me of pic related. Really fucking good, best movie of 2015 for sure
>>
>>64645951
Just watch Hard to Be a God instead
>>
>>64646194

Yeah Hardy, Leo, Gleason, fucking great performances, loved their characters
>>
>>64646194
Hardy was best performance tbqh
>>
File: elmo.gif (1001KB, 440x300px) Image search: [Google]
elmo.gif
1001KB, 440x300px
>all of the shitty ratty beards in this movie
>>
Very Malick'est
>>
>>64646129
Reminded me of the floating mom from Tarkovsky's The Mirror
Inarritu mentioned Stalker as his favorite film in the director's roundtable
>>
>>64646265
Watch more movies or stick to /v/
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 350x345px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 350x345px
>>64646304
>implying that's not what happens when your hunting beaver pelts in the wild for three months
Are you retarded?
>>
>>64646134
>Neechy
It's Neecha, idiot
>>
File: The.Revenant injuns attack 09.webm (3MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
The.Revenant injuns attack 09.webm
3MB, 720x304px
That Indian attack was a great way to set the tone of the movie.
>>
>>64646318
Esq*
>>
>>64646377
that whole sequence was so amazing
>>
>>64645921
I WANTED FITZGERALD TO DIE IN A BETTER WAY FUCK
>>
>>64646377

Yes, one of the top scenes. I actually felt creeping fear and confusion.
>>
One word:
DISAPPOINTING

The pacing is awful. First 80% is incredibly slow, the last 20% is incredibly fast.
Stupid "high art" floating lady, that serves no purpose other than to say "look at our technology, we can do this now!!!"
Cool revenge story, should have been a 1 hour short film, cut out the extra hour of wandering around in the snow and breathing heavily. Served no purpose. 15 minutes of that would have illustrated the toughness of his journey.

WOW is right, if you're saying WOW, that was not as good as I HOPED!
>>
>>64646428
Stick to Transformers, kiddo
>>
>>64646410

only way I would have edited the movie:

when Fitzgerald gets tricked by Glass' dead body decoy, Leo emerges from the blanket and just blasts his face in, some quick reflection scene or something, then the credits

We didn't need a dragged out brawl scene to know the drama and impact of that moment
>>
>>64646428
No one said wow... apply yourself....
>>
File: The.Revenant injuns attack 06.webm (3MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
The.Revenant injuns attack 06.webm
3MB, 720x304px
>>64646416
>>64646406
Put the entire sequence in the webm thread.
>>
>>64645951
Not at all. No matter how much he tries, Inarritu is no Malick or Herzog, and that is never clearer than here, where he transforms what could have been a fascinating exploration of a man's resilience against the cruel, unfeeling magnificence of nature into a simplistic revenge picture. Lubezki does great work work as usual, but to what end? Too polished and prestigeous to be as daring as everyone involved seems to believe it is. It is "art" for the Transformers/Superhero crowd.
>>
haven't seen it yet, but does it have Children of Men type of intensity? Because that's what it's reminding me of with the long shots and all
>>
>>64646500
>It is "art" for the Transformers/Superhero crowd.
You've read that pasta too many times.
>>
>>64646356
i'm talking the quality of said beards, synthetic or real ones. take leo's. poor guy can't grow shit.
>>
All the cgi animals were jarring. Like goddamn, you couldn't rent a elk atleast?
>>
>>64646485
The arrows looked like they were actually killing people here.
>>
>>64646579

Think about what you're saying

these days, the only guys who grow beards are those who can grow them well

back then, it wasn't a choice, and all of the stringy faced fucks had to deal
>>
>>64646524
with children of men there's a higher sense of urgency. revenant only develops that in the middle of the third act.
>>64646604
i hate this shit so much too, it's like the deer or whatever that lewelyn was hunting in no country for old men. it's intrusive as fuck
>>
Hugh Glass' life was actually crazier than portrayed

look this dude up, I've never heard of anything as wild as his career

>kidnapped by Jean Lafitte and forced to be a pirate for a couple years

fuck, throw some of those flashbacks in
>>
>>64646635
They were.

>>64646604
This I will agree with. The only bad things about this was some of the Native stuff and the CGI animals looked like crap.
>>
>>64646304
looks like every fucking 20 and 30 something dude in the USA now, not a surprise
>>
>>64646457
I don't know, anon, I was pretty tense during the whole thing, and it had to end with the Indians. I knew the whole revenge is on God's hands had to be resolved, too. Would have felt strange without that coming back.
>>
>>64646686
That WOULD be neat.
>>
It was so much better that Hateful 8 t b h
>>
File: 1364299816818.jpg (74KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1364299816818.jpg
74KB, 500x500px
>>64646500

Agreed, apparently tired of making fun of superheroes Iñárritu decides to make another Serious Movie. As usual, it's a lifeless, uninspired slough, this time featuring corny-as-shit dialogue, hammy acting (didja hear that Tom Hardy can do accents? DIDJA?), an inane/offensive noble savage narrative, and a general lack of directorial purpose. Even strong cinematography doesn't make bad movies good.
>>
>>64646785

I still liked the scene, it was gritty, and I understood the spiritual connection of that

I just like high-impact sudden endings, it'd be reminiscent of Read Dead Redemption's resolution after your long journey
>>
>>64646939
don't even get me started on red dead

fucking deadwood movie news and revenant all in one day!
>>
>>64646428
speaking of incredibly fast, how about that bear
>>
>>64645921

Really enjoyed the movie overall.

But I wasn't a big fan of the opening sequence, before the title card. Actually, none of the flashbacks did a whole lot for me.

I don't think the real Hugh Glass had a son. I wonder if the movie could have worked without he son/wife aspect? I think it probably could have, although it might have lost some popular appeal.

Hardy killed it, Leo displayed some solid physical acting. I was skeptical of Domnhall G. but he got better in the second half.
>>
>>64646865
Noble savage? Did we watch the same movie? All the Indians were fucktards besides the one Pawnee survivor.
>>
Liked it, didn't love it. I liked how they used the weather and conditions to reflect Glass' actual state though, climbing over the dead snow laden hills to the lush river and greenery. The whole muh daughter subplot felt really out of place and only really served as a convenient way for Glass to not be killed at the end as well as move him along a bit. The really only good thing to come out of that was the superb opening sequence. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen though, the cinematography is gorgeous.
>>
>>64647040
you know grizzlies can run at like 30-40mph right
thats practically olympic sprinting
>>
>>64646865

How is period dialect "hammy"?

I agree that the writing got corny at times
>muh trees
>muh storm
>muh roots
>muh son
>muh wife's face
But I appreciated the squirrel bit. It just fit.
>>
>>64645921
I just got back too, it was fucking beautiful, I personally can't remember the last movie I saw that was this stunning and memorable, interstellar kind of comes close.
>>
>>64647245

That monologue was great. Really hit home that Fitzy was nuts and so was his dad.
>>
>>64647153
you know your not a bear expert right
>>
>>64647153
JIM, TELL ANDY THAT BEARS CAN CLIMB FASTER THAN THEY CAN RUN
>>
>>64645921

I got legit sad when Leo's new bff got strung up by those french cocksuckers.
>>
>>64647321

>It's another "French are perfidious drunk, raping assholes" portrayal

I kind of chuckled to myself thinking about how Frenchmen would feel watching those scenes lol
>>
>>64647363
Do you rally think french fur trappers in the early 19th century were sophisticated geniuses?
>>
>>64645921
I don't like they make long takes and push the camera to the actors face as if they couldn't see the camera
>>
>>64646686
There's no proof that happened. Just a shitload of speculation. Glass def had a crazy life even if the pirate shit is left out.
>>
>>64647416

No, I just think it's hilarious how they end up the true butt of depictions in a lot of movies

Master and Commander was supposed to feature American villains but they threw Frenchmen in there lol
>>
>>64647531
it was retributive justice for the chuggers using white guilt to swindle their horses
>>
>>64647504

You're nitpicking about the pirate shit, which has IRL sources, with regards to a movie that had ghost Indian wife flashbacks?

I'm not saying it should have been in there, I'm saying it would have been cool, and likely fact
>>
Saw it yesterday. Solid 8-9/10

Great scenery and the plot feels like you're experiencing an epic adventure story. A little predictable at times and I'm not sure what to think about the invocations of Native Americans...I don't think it's inaccurate, just a little too hands-off or something. Not sure.
>>
>>64647416
Funny thing, most Plains Indians to this day have french last names (if they didn't revert to their indian last name, ie Two Hearts, Taken Alive, Kills Pretty Enemy)
>>
Genuine 9/10

Didn't expect much going in ,but was stunned constantly throughout. I was so immersed that I didn't want it to end, and actually liked the climax that they provided.
>>
"You killed my boy..."

"Well maybe you oughta have raised a man, not some bitch boy."

Fuck, that exchange was flawless.
>>
>>64647591
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/revenant/
>>
File: hirohito.jpg (11KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
hirohito.jpg
11KB, 240x320px
>>64645921
I feel like an edgy shitlord for thinking this movie was ass. It felt like it was trying way too hard to lend profundity to a hollow revenge story. Inarritu's politics are once again naive and one-dimensional, as are his characters. I thought the cinematography was atrocious and a waste of the beautiful scenery that surrounded the action. Basically the movie felt like a severly handicapped Tarvkosky or Malick film -- all the pomp and polish without the profundity. DiCaprio and Hardy were excellent though.
>>
Great movie. Only problem i had with it were the cgi animals and the second act did draw out for quite a long time. Still a fantastic watch.

Did anyone else catch a Aguirre, Wrath of God vibe from bits of this movie? especially when they are on the boat in the first part of the movie and the very last shot.
>>
>>64646649
>it's like the deer or whatever that lewelyn was hunting in no country for old men

That's pretty hard to notice desu
>>
>>64646194

You couldn't have asked the person you were with? Don't tell me you went to the theatre alone, anon...
>>
>>64649483
>Malick film
>profound

lol
>>
>>64649621
you're right. they should have had him mauled by a real bear and not a cgi one.
>>
>>64649483
It wasn't a hollow revenge movie. He was already dead after losing his son.
Being animated by revenge, like a ghost that won't move on, he doggedly pursues his prey. Once he gets his revenge he's lost the only thing animating him and he dies, the whole stopping breathing at the end.
That's it. It's very mechanical.
>>
>>64646377
it had the classic western feel of "injuns on them there ridge!" while also not being gimmicky.

Excellent scene. very respectful to native peoples.
>>
I just got back from seeing it.
I thought it was awful. It was extremely drawn out and boring, seemingly for no reason. Innaritu appeared to just be tryna be artsy for the sake of being artsy.
The symbolism it did have was hamfisted as fuck especially Fitzgerald's dying words, Christ . The violence it did have felt completely unnecessary and only there for shock value.
People were saying that Birdman was similarly flashy without much actual meaning behind it. I disagreed, but I can completely see what they'd mean if they said it about this movie.

The only good parts were
The opening battle
The church scene with dead son
The last fight before Fitzgerald's dumbass final words
>>
>>64649876
>The bear was the only animal in the movie.
>>
My main problem was the accuracy of their rifles. no one even missed a single shot until Leo pulled the bait and switch on the horse. those guns had no sights at all, fitz couldnt possibly have shot someone dead on from the treeline.
>>
>>64650149
>bear was only animal in movie
>scene with leo climing a ridge to find 2000 fucking buffalo

yeah okay buddy.
>>
>>64649930
I don't have a problem with the plot and seeing how the film is called "The Revenant" I'm aware of his symbolic death and return. I'm pretty sure Glass explicitly mentioned having "died" once, too. I have a problem with the plot's bloated, pretentious execution. I feel like the movie could've been much tighter, more exciting and straightforward in the hands of a director who isn't trying to flaunt how deep and artful they are.

>>64650008 mirrors my feelings exactly.
>>
>>64650008
This desu
>>
>>64646242
If it was anything like JJ, I will be impressed
>>
>>64650149
also the bird flying out of her chest, and the young indian boy walking around with a crow on his arm.
>>
>>64650160

okay /k/
>>
>>64650195

I think it's supposed to reflect the long, existential ordeal Glass went through, in a beautiful yet chillingly harsh wilderness

there's no need for brevity for the sake of people with short attention spans
>>
>>64646233
Saw it Thursday night and this was exactly my experience too. First time I've ever seen people in actual awe from their seats to the parking lot after the movie was over.
>>
>>64649930
Sounds shit. He doesn't even end up getting revenge in the book/real life. Fitzgerald abandons the fur company and joins the army. Historically, there's no evidence Glass ever found Fitzgerald, though in the book he finds him at an Army camp and there's a trial in which Fitzgerald successfully convinces a judge Glass was hysterical after the bear attack and hallucinated them robbing him. Glass pulls a pistol he snuck into the trial and tries to kill Fitzgerald but only manages to shoot him in the arm. Glass is put in jail but later released due to some connections he's made. He ends up having to choose between going after Fitzgerald and killing him and probably ending up back in jail and executed for murder, or just letting it go. He chooses the latter.

In the book, Glass has no mixed race son or Native wife. That was all bullshit added to the movie for more forced drama.

In real life, Glass ends up joining another fur company after the events in the book. He heads out one morning with two other trappers when they're ambushed and killed by 30 Arikara.
>>
>>64647979
It was "girly little bitch" which I felt was kinda cringeworthy given the time period.
>>
>>64650195
Well like I said to me the film felt very mechanical rather than pretentious.
It stuck very much to what you'd expect thematically, and was shot in a way to mirror that. The camera is unflinching, holding where the vast majority of films have conditioned us to expect a cut. That worked really well given what the main character is. It really served to jive with his uncompromising, avatar of revenge, thing he had going on.
I really liked it.
>>
>>64650008
Listen to your fucking criticisms.
>it was too long
>they tried making it too good, they shouldn't have tried making it so good
What the fuck is wrong with you kids?
>>
>>64650441
you're right. they never woulda called a boy "little" back then.
>>
>>64650422
would you have preferred a documentary?
>>
>>64650441

was bitch not a slur yet?
>>
It was a good movie, but incredibly self indulgent on innaritu's part and unnecessarily tedious. The whole movie could be at least 20 minutes shorter if he would cut down on the damn 30 second nature transitions and focus on the narrative and pacing. There were some gorgeous shots and a solidly executed story but the entire thing tried so hard to be immersive that it actually takes you out of the story rather than into it.
>>
>>64650482
The movie misses the point so spectacularly that it's a wonder that they even bothered adapting it in the first place. It's like Inarrito just read the back of the book cover and made a movie out of that.
>>
>>64646233
>>64650338
You guys must live in clapistan. Everyone at my theatre got up and left laughing. Heard a couple people pointing out all the dumb shit in it.

Also, why the fuck does Hollywood always portray bears with absolutely no control over their bottom lips? It always looks dumb as hell with it flopping around for no reason.
>>
>>64645921
>Going to a movie theater
>>
I enjoyed it but don't know if I could sit through it again. It's long and most of it is just him walking across really cool landscapes. The cinematography is fantastic and the acting was good. I also really liked how the Indians didn't help him at the end. It's sorta like "yea you saved the girl but you're still a white man." Kinda annoying to see it with an 80% on RT when Star Wars has a 93%. Shame
>>
>>64650335
>I think it's supposed to reflect the long, existential ordeal Glass went through, in a beautiful yet chillingly harsh wilderness

Yes, that's what it's "supposed" to do. But all I saw was a director desperately cramming cardboard symbolism into his film in attempt to please the "arthouse" crowd. I'm a pretentious prick who revels in obscure symbolism but I could see right through his desperate attempts at profundity.

>there's no need for brevity for the sake of people with short attention spans

Please, many of my favorite movies are as long or longer than The Revenant.
>>
>>64650507
"Its original use as a vulgarism, documented to the fourteenth century"
>>
>>64650549

Maybe it's because you're idiot sissy Old Worlders who have no idea about what the climate of the American frontier was like
>>
>>64650549
Good one m8, maybe someone will believe you ITT.
>>
>>64650507
>>64650665
It's not that it's a slur, it's the context. In this case he means a man who acts like a woman. i.e. "that dude is a bitch." That's urban slang popularized through rap music. A white person wouldn't have used the word in that context 30 years, much less 200.
>>
>>64650547
Again, would you have preferred a documentary?
>>
>>64650859

who says?

your opinion?
>>
>post yfw during the bear scene
>>
Just got back from it.

Might be because I was tired as fuck but I think the film is overrated as hell. The bear attack scene was amazing. Obviously the photography is good but it eventually starts to run out of tricks. It's hard to say it's shit because of how extreme the filming conditions were but still. I couldn't wait till it was over. Pretty one dimensional desu

Also

Hardy > Leo

Sorry
>>
>>64650944
It's funny how everyone is bringing up this Leo thing as if that's the only reason anyone likes the movie. Nobody should care about the fucking meme pleb Oscar awards. Can't we just look at this movie as a singular thing without worrying about the stupid fucking Oscar meme
>>
>>64651015
Sure but I don't remember saying anything about the "meme pleb Oscars" in my post all I said was that Hardy was better than Leo
>>
>>64650859
A bitch is a female dog. It's not hard to see people making similarities to people and dogs and thus using it as an insult do you? I think people have been calling people "a bitch" ever since dogs and people and language inhabited earth.
>>
>>64650859
Are you dumb? It's been in use for centuries and was all the rage in the 19th century.
>>
File: 1443842051469.jpg (269KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1443842051469.jpg
269KB, 1024x768px
>>64650936
>mfw the bear kept coming back
>>
>>64646939
The thing I didn't like is they had Leo actually say that. It was all there in tone but I guess they think dumb audiences are going to like a 5 hour kill Leo fest with red head badass captain? They probably fell asleep after the bear scene wore off.

Ending it suddenly wouldn't have fit in with the rest of the movie because it wasn't trying to portray hard life. It was trying to portray that things proceed as they do by the grace of something spiritual even if that means love like Hugh had for his wife and son. I even think his visions were all trying to tell him to move on because his family already did.

Which is what makes the true ending fucking depressing.
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.