[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what the fuck did i just watch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: Mulholland_drive.jpg (15KB, 210x261px) Image search: [Google]
Mulholland_drive.jpg
15KB, 210x261px
what the fuck did i just watch?
>>
>>64638455
one of the most overrated tv-films in history
>>
A decent flick
>>
Mulholland Drive
>>
>>64638455
a film directed by David Lynch
>>
>>64638455
A Lovecraftian story with a Lynchian twist.
>>
The watered down, Oscar bait version of Lynch's masterpiece, Lost Highway.
>>
Your first art film.
>>
>>64638698
>Lovecraftian
>Lynchian
>4chanian
>memian
>buzzwordian
>>
>>64639181
LOVE THIS MAYMAY
>>
essentially, emperor's new clothes: the movie
>>
File: 1348387008099.png (466KB, 599x598px) Image search: [Google]
1348387008099.png
466KB, 599x598px
>Babby's First Lynch
>>
>>64638455
A story of unrequited love. First 2 hours is Naomi Watts' dream. Last 30 minutes is reality.
>>
>>64638455

a movie about perceptions as seen through a dream that is actually a delusion of fame
>>
File: Persona-2.jpg (258KB, 1828x1374px) Image search: [Google]
Persona-2.jpg
258KB, 1828x1374px
A shitty rehash of one of the best movies ever.
>>
It's called Mulholland Dr.
>>
>>64639330

The best ones speak the truth.
>>
>>64638455
About to watch this for the SECOND time. Wasn't very impressed the first time around but I really like some other Lynch films so I'll give it another chance. Anything to look out for? Spoilers don't matter, as you probably understand.
>>
Hey pretty girl
>>
>>64641488
I didn't like it at first either. I've come around to the fact that it's a lot more textured and nuanced than I thought, specifically in how the two different parts interplay. I've found that it has a high rewatchability factor this way, and I think is how it was intended to be parsed. As you watch, try to think about why exactly Diane would be dreaming the first part o the movie. Why is Adam Kesher, for instance, made to be a literal cuckold? Why do their eyes interlock when she meets him, what emotional response does this give her, why does she suddenly flee? Even the odd executive coffee scene links back to the latter portion of the film - do you remember a shot of her making terrible Folgers? There's a lot to connect and it's fun to do so if you think of the film as a puzzle, particular a puzzle where two halves share many threads.
>>
A censored vulva that wasn't censored in the cinema.
>>
>>64641946
>parsed
You don't parse a Lynch film, you grok it.
>>
A masterpiece
A pleb filter
>>
Watch it after Lost Highway but before Inland Empire
>>
What is Lynch's best film?
>>
>>64644004
Inland Empire.
>>
>>64638522
/thread
>>
>>64644004
>>
File: inlandempire2.jpg (29KB, 850x460px) Image search: [Google]
inlandempire2.jpg
29KB, 850x460px
>>64644034
Christ no
>>
>>64639181

It's more like David Lynch started messing around with dopplegangers in Twin Peaks and continued to refine that idea until he made his true masterpiece, Inland Empire.
>>
>>64638455
Something incredibly easy to masturbate to.
>>
>>64644004
Blue Velvet obviously
>>
>>64644367
>>64644034
Explain to me what you like about IE and why it's Lynch's best.
>>
>>64644515
I think it's his best because it makes me feel cool
>>
Any Silent Hill fans here? Lost Highway was a masterpiece for me. even the second and third acts
>>
>>64644515
its not his best but its probably his msot meta-film which is cool because all of his stuff is pretty meta but IE basically maintains its integrity (in my opinion Mulholland Drive is a little too soapy at parts)
>>
>>64641488
>Contained within the original DVD release is a card titled "David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking This Thriller". The clues are:

>1. Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.
>2. Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
>3. Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
>4. An accident is a terrible event—notice the location of the accident.
>5. Who gives a key, and why?
>6. Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
>7. What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
>8. Did talent alone help Camilla?
>9. Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.
>10. Where is Aunt Ruth?
>>
>>64644515
Lynch is an artist whose MO lies in the interpretive. And IE I've found myself spending the most time trying to interpret. That enough seems like reason for me to consider it his best effort, but:.

I love the DV. I think the grainy quality fits in line with Lynch's general aesthetic sense, especially those of his paintings. It's clear he was using the camera well; for instance, the fact you can't see with clarity the faces of the Rabbits only makes them more sinister. It's his most experimental film, visually, almost every shot is doing something new.

The acting is brilliant. Laura Dern really sells the reality of persona shift. But everyone in it is really great, and there's a nice variety of acting going on. For instance, the opening scene with the new neighbor; Lynch went back to the calculated movements he had Jack Nance do in Eraserhead, but applied it to Zabriskie's face. I've never seen such precise, timed choreography and intention in facial movements.

And then there's the music. It's my favorite score of any of his films, as much as I like Badalementi. It also seems to be the most personal to him, since he scored (and sang) and selected all the songs for it.

And lastly there's the meta quality. I wouldn't say it particularly 'shares a universe,' but it has so many connection to his other films (Lara Elena Harring and Naomi Watts playing against eachother, but hidden, the Log sawing at the end, the Rabbits, Dern in her Blue Velvet dress, etc.) and they're all odd, abstract connections. The film feels like a real, present nexus point, which fits so in line with the progression of a woman walking through an absurd shifting place, as if she's walking through Lynch's films.

As for the themes and 'plot,' I could write several essays-worth, and have, but the most important thing is how much of a shift in mood-state the film puts me in. Very transportational. I always feel like I've woken up from something after it's over and the lights click on.
>>
>>64644627
I own 1-4 and even Origins and have played 1-3 over countless times. I love them because they're tedious (in a good way) and feel like you're playing through a Lynch movie. Which makes sense, since they've confirmed that they're inspired by him (and Jodorowsky, Team Silent was based).
>>
One of the greatest films ever made.

Here's by far the best breakdown and analysis of it I've seen, for anyone interested:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2012/03/04/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs-the-genius-of-mulholland-drive
>>
Some gratuitous lesbian sex scenes.
>>
Is Inland Empire better than this? I loved Mulholland Dr.
>>
>>64638455
Lynches easiest film. If you didn't get this, give up now.
>>
>>64644659
Watt's character is watching her life flash before her eyes before killing herself, she's the corpse.
/thread
>>
>>64645290
>>
>>64639555
Pretty much how I feel about it. I enjoy parts of the film, but much prefer Lost Highway for what it was. Lynch is pretty hit-or-miss for me, and Mulholland Dr. is somewhere in-between what I love and hate about him.
>>
>>64644235
Mulholland Dr. or this.
>>
>>64645163
Lost Highway is far easier.
>>
>>64638455
The masterpiece!!!
>>
>>64644235
This
>>
>>64644791
This is very interesting.

But I will never agree with you on the score. Badalementi is a genius.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.