[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was casting yet another thing George Lucas fucked up in Episode

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: 0.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
Was casting yet another thing George Lucas fucked up in Episode I? How much can Jake Lloyd's shitty acting be to blame for the disaster that was that movie?

Would anything have changed if they went woth a better actor, or was the script just unredeemable?

The blonde kid at 3:20 seems like a much better choice to play Anakin imho... he has that determination and that "shadow" Jake Lloyd lacked.
>>
>>64634293
Forgot the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSnB7yGylc
>>
>the disaster that was that movie
It wasn't that bad. Remove Gungans, replace Jake Lloyd, brush up some dialogue and scrap the space battle and the droid battle in the finale and it'd be great.
>>
>>64634357
>Remove 60% of the movie and it will be good
>>
Remove 1 Gunga City scene, remove Jar Jar, replace one actor and scrap half of the finale.

That's like 10-15% of the movie
>>
The fact that he was a child at all is the mistake, not the actor.
That's like asking if Jar Jar would be any better if someone else did the voice.
>>
It should have just started with young/mature Anakin all the kids in that movie were fucking cringeworthy
>>
>>64634357
That's not an excuse
>>
>>64634293
Because Leo Dicaprio was going to be Anakin in Episode II and III but dropped out after he saw The Phantom Menace.
>>
File: Episode I, totally not rushed!.jpg (43KB, 680x351px) Image search: [Google]
Episode I, totally not rushed!.jpg
43KB, 680x351px
>>64634293
Ever watch the entire making of for the movie?

You know when I watched the Plinkett reviews I thought those were a behind the scenes special or something not wide spread. Turns out all that cringe inducing footage of George was just what they put on the DVD. I don't know who's in charge of what special features the DVD got, but it almost seems like they were trying to admit Phantom Menace was a bit troubled and overly ambitious.
>>
File: 48179135.cached[1].jpg (29KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
48179135.cached[1].jpg
29KB, 800x500px
>>64634293
>Implying he wasn't the best Anakin
>>
>>64634688
That honestly wouldn't have been a good move for the simple fact you're supposed to be able to watch the first three films and go "look at this innovent, good hearted in spite of his slave upbringing child" to " this kid is cocky and horny, but he's still got a decent head on his shoulders oh shit did he just kill a baby Tuscan?" to " this angry fuck is getting thrown into this fight nobody wants to be fighting and getting his strings pulled by both the Jedi and the sith, only the sith is trying to be his friend. He's still angry and he's still horny but he's mostly worried about losing the one thing, soon to be 2 (3 but nobody knows it's twins) that he loves most in the world since losing his mother to the tuscans he slaughtered. Which is the deciding factor in his actions."

It's a character arc. Cringe worthy acting or not, look at the story and what the characters are doing.
>>
File: Twilek-Cosplay.jpg (96KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
Twilek-Cosplay.jpg
96KB, 660x440px
>>64634293
You know what?

People toss around memes like "Mary Sue" but completely overlook the fact that Lucas did it first with young Anakin.

>Ace pod racer
>Droid mechanic
>Lowly upbringing but not greedy
>Kind hearted and honest

Honestly, could Jake Lloyd's character have BEEN any more idealised?

Makes Rey look like a troubled anti-hero 2bh
>>
>>64634688
This. The prequels should have been a story about how Anakin goes from a noble Jedi Knight to a Sith with Sheev's political maneuvering in the background. We didn't need to see him at the age of 9 and find out how he begun his training
>>
The Phantom Menace is all about how even the biggest tyrants start out as sweet innocent children.

You just don't understand art nigga.
>>
>>64636108
Mary Sue is a relatively minor criticism in movies with some redeemable qualities
The prequel trilogy has so many fuck ups and young Anakin is so bad besides has characterisation that it sort of fades into the background
>>
>>64634688
A young kid whos a literal slave with his mommy is ultimate un-TRUMPable sympathy. no one gives a shit about adolescent jedis.
>>
>>64636150
Nah it's about Darth Sidious beginning to pull the strings from the darkness. The trade federation attacking and everything. Come on my nigga.. Vader isn t even a tyrant, he's a tool used by the tyrant.
>>
>>64636108
>ace pod racer - ace pilot
>droid mechanic - ship mechanic
>lowly upbringing but not greedy - same shit
>Kind hearted and honest - same shit
Rey has the same traits you just listed (or close enough to be called analogous) and she's also an expert melee combatant, Force user and a marksman
>>
>>64634357
Thats at least half of the movie
>>
>>64636150
The problem there is that he retained absolutely no traces of his former personality between episodes, and we never get to see the shift.
>>
>>64634357

>change everything about the movie
>it will be good
>>
>>64636108
>completely overlook the fact

No one completely overlooked Anakin's stumbling to success in TPM just because of his damn obscenely high Mitoclorian count. Saving the day by accidentally blowing up the Droid Ship. BS.
>>
>>64634568
Gungan city was cool as fuck and I don't even mind Gungans. How about keeping jar jars role almost the exact same and making him a badass rebellious gungan with a better voice instead of being a clumsy fuckup with the worst voice ever.
>>
>>64634293

JAR JAR BINKS

/THREAD
>>
>>64636313
Except we do. He's a good guy, just getting manipulated. And he's still a kid even in RotS. We slowly see his decent into retardation or whatever you want to call it.
>>
>>64634357
More like change almost all the dialogue.
>>
>>64636108
What you're failing to take into account is the reason why, usually, works outside fanfiction can't be Mary Sues.
Anakin was expressly stated to have a power level of over 9000 and how it made him abnormal. It's a shit reason, yes, but he does have one for being naturally gifted and it's explained how that impacts his reaction times. Even with all that in mind, it's only piloting he truly excels at

Rey, to contrast, is portrayed as just another person with an edge, despite her incredible natural ability in a vast field of areas.
>>
>>64636530
>He's a good guy
In episode 1 he is
In 2 and onwards he's an asshole to one degree or another, and we never see what sparked it.
>>
>>64636367
I think the gungans would have looked better with a different design. Something like the big fat boss but for everyone.
>>
>TPM
>Bad
It's a million times better than the masterpiece of shit that is TFA
>>
>>64634319
I can see why they picked Jake Lloyd out of the three, he had the most charisma and likeability, the brown-haired kid was awful, I don't know how he made it to the top three.

Also dat young Ewan w/ glasses :3
>>
>>64636530
>still a kid

he's literally like fucking 25 in RoTS, thats not a kid to anyone that isn't a man child
>>
Jake Lloyd certainly had the looks Lucas was going for the character at that age, and wasn't bad in Jingle All The Way. It's how the character was written and how Lucas directed him that killed the movie more than any of the scenes involving Jar Jar.
Again, Lucas is to blame and not the actors.
>>
>>64636597
Yes we do. The Jedi and the sith Fucking with his head. On top of him not being able to be with the one woman he really wants to. Like.. He's only 14 or so in attack of the clones and maybe 21 in RotS. He's young and if you've ever been a teenager, he's prone to stupidity.

>>64636822
He's supposedly 21 to 23. He's also emotionally unstable, has PTSD, lost his mother, killed an entire village of Tuscan Raiders, is afraid of losing his most cherished relationship AND the baby she is carrying (the odnt know it's twins). He's wet behind the ears. He's known nothing but pain and war since he left Tattoine. You tell me that emotionally he's not a child fuck face.
>>
>>64634293

Is George Lucas obsessed with recapturing his youth or something? Why the revisionist tendency to cast younger and claim they were always meant to be films for children?
>>
>>64636874

I strongly urge you to rewatch Jingle All the Way.
>>
The Romance Angle in 2 would not have felt so forced and awkward if you casted Anakin as a teenager that was Padme's age in I.
>>
>>64637038
you are autistic if you think after 21 years on this earth it is remotely acceptable to be emotionally equivalent to a child
>>
>>64637489
And you are retarded to think that emotional trauma doesn't cause something like that go happen.
>>
>>64636108
Anakin, if he's even a Mary Sue, wasn't called as such because The Phantom Menace was such a bad movie that there were far too many awful things to point out in the film for any one thing to get all or most of the criticism.

Also, Anakin is not necessarily a Mary Sue because, remember, he was a virgin birth. You know, like Jesus Christ, the son of God? *facepalm*
>>
>>64636597
He's constantly seeing the hypocrisy of the Jedi Council, the massive incompetency and corruption of the Senate all the while being reminded that he's literally space Jesus.
>>
>>64637489
Anakin is literally autistic.
>>
File: fenderbender.jpg (48KB, 721x304px) Image search: [Google]
fenderbender.jpg
48KB, 721x304px
>>64636292
>rey
>ace pilot
>>
>>64638024
>struggles to take off
>makes incredible maneuvers in tight spaces 1 minute later
The fact that they showed her struggle at first only highlighted how retarded that chase was
>>
>>64638206
>incredible maneuvers
By what measure? Did she out fly someone? Did she trick a TIE into crashing? The most impressive thing she did was cut the engine to flip the ship using gravity. She wasn't flying to the core of the second death star, she was flying through a straight passage. Shit even the first Death Star trench run without enemy fire would be more dangerous to fly through than that Star Destroyer.

Rey is also surprised by how well she does, saying she's flown before but never done anything like that. Spooky huh?
>>
>>64638443
>Did she trick a TIE into crashing?
uhh, yes, one TIE fighter (a much smaller ship than Millennium Falcon) crashed inside of the destroyer while she just Mary Sued her way out of that
>>
The problem was making Anakin a kid in TPM in the first place. He should already have been 19-20 years old so that he could be believable as a skilled pilot and start forming his friendship with Obi-Wan. It would also make his relationship with Padme about 300% less creepy.
>>
>>64638801
it was the force guiding her :^)
>>
>>64634293
I don't think his actual acting was that bad
the problem was he was a 6 year old who acted like an adult
>>
>>64638801
>>64638958
No, Finn shot a TIE and it crashed into the exterior of a Star Destroyer. That happens before they enter the trench/tube/passage in the Star Destroyer. There's only two TIEs and the other one is shot by Finn during Rey's flip thing which happens after they leave the destroyer.
>>
>>64638801
>confirmed for not watching the movie
>>
>>64634568
>>64634357

I'll play.

>Remove Quigon
>remove jar jar but keep the gungans
>change their accents
>place the older gungan we meet in the role jar jar had, but as an exiled disgraced soldier (usa the boomer jar jar! That guy)
>Make DMaul the antagonist for the entire trilogy, filling the roles of dooku and grievous (so remove them too, and dmaul obviously survives all the way up until anakin kills him in the third movie, in place of dooku)
>start anakin as a fucking teenager, not a 9 year old

This is a good start without changing too much of the goofy spirit of the pt.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.