[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vietnam Series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: BandOfBrothers-ThePacific.jpg (85KB, 640x342px) Image search: [Google]
BandOfBrothers-ThePacific.jpg
85KB, 640x342px
How would Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks go about a Vietnam Series? What do you think it would be like?
>>
Also what about a Korean War series?
>>
HBO should adapt The Things They Carried (somehow).

I think Vietnam would be a lot harder to pull off, just because there's a lot of fucked up shit going on over there that wasn't seen as much during WWII. Child soldiers, killing superior officers, etc.
>>
>>64450034
No one gives a shit about the Korean War.
>>
>>64450036
You do have a point about the horror, but also movies such as Beasts of No Nation show that maybe the best way to present it is to just simply display those actions. Maybe thats what they should do
>>
>>64450034
That's why it's called the forgotten war...
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 321x134px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 321x134px
>>
>>64449941
>Bunch of gooks fighting like the Keystone cops
>iron clad Gary Stu protag
>Oscarbait, forced tearjerker ending

Academy, tell me I was a good man
>>
>>64450036
>HBO should adapt The Things They Carried (somehow).
I would kill to see this, but IMO it's not really possible. They'd have to show both the monotony of it and the horrible shit they said and did to cope with what they were doing out there.
Like, I don't imagine it's going to go over very well when they have to show the scene of the platoon calling burnt babies "crunchy munchies" or "crispy critters". Or that scene with the water buffalo.

It would need a damn good narrator too, to explain "how to tell a war story" without confusing people.
>>
Should do a main character of a young teen who gets drafted and comes to conflict on whether to dodge. He then goes through swift boot camp where he's always joking and messing with DI. Then sent to Nam where he slowly is torn apart by horrors ie: massacres, ambushes, US killing civs, constant violence. He returns home to find old friends dodged draft and try to persuede him to preach against war but he tells him to fuck off because they were only sending younger guys to die in their place. He takes another tour of Vietnam and dies. Final scene on friends spitting on his grave, crying parents, and little brother who looks up to him.
>>
Any other ideas or books to adapt?
>>
>>64450670
Literally Born on the Fourth of July.

I personally want to see more war movies where main characters revel in killing.
That's why Korea would be such an excellent setting, there'd be a distant fleeting feeling they were doing good, helping Korean civilians evacuate, but it would be vastly overpowered by endless joyous killing.

There were normal dudes getting hundreds upon hundreds of kills in that war who made statements post war like "I literally couldn't miss there were so many Chinks, or WW2 vets who said "I got more kills in one month of Korea than my entire 4 years in europe"

>>64450212
It was an orgy of violence, it's hard to accurately capture dudes seeing so much combat in the course of one battle that they were literally blowing up their rifles and grabbing other ones multiple times through the course of the engagement
>>
I don't think it would be good unless they found really good source material. The Pacific was based on two pretty good books, cost $200 million to make, and was pretty forgettable and I think objectively worse than Band of Brothers in every way. Band of Brothers worked because it had awesome source material from a guy who was still alive at the time (Winters), a clear story arc from start to finish (boot camp to victory) and clear good guys and bad guys.

We've already had a ton of notable stories about how messed up Vietnam was, and even if they wanted to retell history, I doubt anyone would be interested in story about U.S. troops kicking ass. The best you can do for Nam is tell small scale moral victories, like We Were Soldiers or POW Rescue Movie #78.

Rather than the usual soldier's journey thing, I'd like to see a miniseries about Vietnam on a global scale, e.g. the communism angle, the political maneuverings, etc. all tied in with combat.
>>
>>64451469
Good concept on the global scale. Any thoughts on how to do it?
>>
>>64451642
I don't know enough about it, but I'd like to see the behind the scenes stuff about the USSR and China and how they supported North Vietnam. Not so much just like stuff about U.S. politics, because I think that would get kind of boring for an entire miniseries, but just the big picture stuff.
>>
What happened to that series they were working on about a bomber crew or whatever? I remember reading about it years ago, and since then absolutely nothing. Can't even find anything about it on wikipedia.
>>
>>64450034
A series about the Chosin Reservoir could be god tier.
>>
>>64452359
I've always wanted a good series that focused on the Korean war. My grandfather (RIP) fought at Chosin and he did not like talking about his experiences there at all.

All I know is that he lost the vast majority of his platoon as well as a lot of good friends who he had known for years. He got shot in the leg as well as got frostbite on his feet and fingers, but luckily didn't need amputation. He had bad PTSD and night terrors after it for decades.

There's a really great documentary on Chosin (I think it's called the Chosin Few) that I saw a few years ago, really goes into detail what those guys went through, it was hell.
>>
>>64452902
Yeah that doco was fascinating. Crazy war stories. This one always stuck with me the most.
The guy who was trapped in a truck while the Chinese tried to burn it, then was shot and beaten until he looked dead and then had to crawl back to base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtSDoKHZQU
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.