[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Episode has a song that fits perfectly to the scene, sets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: booktotheface.jpg (104KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
booktotheface.jpg
104KB, 500x668px
>Episode has a song that fits perfectly to the scene, sets the atmosphere just right, and raises the episode from being good to great.
>Song is removed on the DVD/Bluray because of licensing issues.

Why do americans do this? If you can't pony up the dough to license the song completely, don't buy it at all.
>>
Examples?
>>
>>64439940
off the top of my head, nearly every licensed song that ever played on 'Friday Night Lights', most licensed songs that were on 'That 70s show', The opening song for 'Married with Children' (Replaced with generic soundalike instrumental)
>>
did the dvds for House M.D removed the 'Teardrop' opening? I know that the Europian broadcasts didn't have that song for the opening.
>>
Usually it's because the rights are only for the US broadcast. They either don't have or can't buy the international rights, so to sell the discs abroad they have to change.

House, for instance. In US they used a Massive Attack song for the intro. Everywhere else got a shitty instrumental.
>>
>>64440216
It plays on Netflix so I doubt it
>>
yeh op is pn point here.
the tv series the wonder years, springs to mind. although i think the latest box set release has all original soundtrack from the original broadcasts. 20 years too late is better than nothing lol
>>
>>64439940
Quantum Leap

but i'm probably the only one here who cares about that.
>>
I remember how bummed how I was when the sitcom episode of Scrubs didn't have 'where everybody knows your name' at the end of it on the DVD. That ending literally made the episode perfect and without it the episode felt like 'eh...'.
>>
>>64439788

Couldn't you also argue that if a network only had so much money to spend on a show, and they didn't have enough to get international broadcast and dvd rights for music, that at least they spend the money for national broadcasts? Also, how do you know that most, if not all, networks do shell out for complete music rights?

It sounds like you don't really appreciate music choices in television.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-01-03-16h11m27s098.png (194KB, 720x406px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-01-03-16h11m27s098.png
194KB, 720x406px
>episode has a song that kind of fits the scene but is still amazing and makes a bigger impact than some of the show's best moments
>it's reserved for an antagonist with little to no development that gets taken out like a bitch
>there is no other scene similar to it in the series

wish there was a video up somewhere
>>
>>64440732
but it's not really for 'national broadcast' it's more like just for the first broadcast and that's it. usually the removed music applies to repeats and syndication as well.
basically means if you missed the first airing, you'll never get to watch the authentic "real" episode again unless you pirate an hdtv rip or dvr'd it
>>
>>64440792
what are you even talking about?
>>
Sometimes they won't even release a dvd BECAUSE they can't pay for the music. Like seasons 2 and 3 of 'American Dreams'.
>>
>>64439788
Fuck off yuropoor.
>>
>>64440216
>>64440399
It's pretty crazy how much worse the show becomes without the Teardrop opening.
>>
>>64441459
>watching intros
ain't nobody got time for dat.
>>
>>64439788
>Why do americans do this? If you can't pony up the dough to license the song completely, don't buy it at all.

The most classical example of this was WKRP in Cincinnati, and before you get your undies in a bunch, the show aired before they even conceived of it being released on home video so just like "Heavy Metal," the suits never had a reason to consider any kind of licensing arrangement outside of the original broadcast/release.

Yes, this was really a simpler time, hard is it is to believe. Heavy Metal didn't even get released to home video for years because of the relicensing nightmare. WKRP was worse because they replaced all the original tracks with muzak covers (go look up mechanical license if this confuses you).
>>
>>64441831
Same with Beavis & Butthead. Or MST3k
>>
>>64441831
*hard as it is to believe

This kind of thing can happen unrelated to music as well: Who Framed Roger Rabbit was only broadcast on television for years because the licensing between Warner and Disney wasn't applicable to home video.

>>64441890
>Beavis & Butthead
So very much this.

THESE days, they license for applications that don't even exist yet, but what OP needs to understand is that the agreements we have now are in no sense legally retroactive and the writers' strike is a key indicator of this.
>>
>>64442045
In fact, Heavy Metal was involved with this in the early 2000s in another way. The publisher tried to sell CDs with scans of the original magazine which would have had no payments made to the original creators. Around the same time the NYT was doing the same thing with the same result for the reporters, photographers and columnists. The latter group took it to court and won. The writers' strike was over networks asserting that they didn't have to pay residuals for streaming older TV shows.

The publishers' argument before the courts was "well, the contract we had didn't say we COULDN'T do this" and the court was unanimous in saying "it doesn't work like that fuckos and you know it"
>>
>Daria box set
>every single fucking piece of licensed music removed

It's like they ripped out part of my soul.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.