[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 28

New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1284613
>>
Question please.
I'm thinking of renting electric bicycle in kawaguchi lake to tour the area, but I didn't see any bicycle parking spot anywhere in there unlike big cities.
What should I do with the bike if i want to take a stop for a while and walk a bit ? Is it ok to leave it in roadside or maybe put it somewhere near car park or what ?
>>
Any experiences with maid cafes? i'm going to Japan soon and want to take some photos with the girls. It's allowed?.
>>
File: 1444306545494.jpg (94KB, 288x798px) Image search: [Google]
1444306545494.jpg
94KB, 288x798px
>>1288576
Just take a bike lock/chain and possibly try to leave something (a note?) to say "I will be back soon, please do not move!"

>How important is it to keep an exact itinerary of bus/train/etc paths to and from each destination?

I have all of my various excursions over 2.5 weeks in Kyoto and Tokyo planned, reserved where necessary and pinned on a Google map. Can I just check the buses when I'm there and ask for help if necessary? I don't want to waste too much time lost or be a shit constantly asking poor strangers for assistance, but at the same time I've been told that the public transport system is incredibly easy to navigate if you know the destination.
>>
>>1288580
No, you're not permitted to take your own photo, not even to maid that were distributing flyer in street.
Instead they offer "take a photo together" menu with expensive prices. You should take a japanese together with you, treat him to a meal or something and make him a translator while you gather all the attention.
>>
>>1288600
Paying then. Gotcha. I assume that they give you a physical copy right?.
>>
Tokyo is bland and boring and if you disagree with me i will call you a motherfucker until i go to bed
>>
>>1288609
I think tokyo is colorful and exciting. What's the best city in japan in your opinion then?
>>
>>1288609
Never change, anon.
>>
Ugh just found out that one of my holidays is being replaced with an egent. Sucks because I was gonna do travelling during that long weekend now its just a weekend. Any other teachers have this happen before?

Inb4 welcome to japan. Yea I know it happens doesn't make it less shitty.
>>
File: Kokusai-03.jpg (88KB, 501x352px) Image search: [Google]
Kokusai-03.jpg
88KB, 501x352px
Going to Sapporo next January. Can anyone recommend some ski resorts nearby?
>>
>>1288607
Not the anon you replied to, but they give you the option to take the photo with your camera or phone, or with their Fuji Instax camera which they then draw and write on with fluoro markers. So I recommend getting the Instax pic.

As >>1288600 says you're not permitted to take photos of the maid within the cafe without paying. However, you are allowed to take photos of them in public because there is no law against taking photos of anything in public or viewable from public areas in Japan. They will ask you not to though so it is a matter of your own ethics.
>>
can anyone recommend some comfy villages worth visiting in japan?
>>
>>1288609
Definitely agree. I would suggest anyone to stay there for two days maximum. Most of the neighborhoods are all the same shit and it gets boring pretty fast.
>>
I'm in Tokyo right now and want to socialize with Japanese People, and maybe Girls too. Where should I go?
>>
Is Tokyo an expensive city?

How much would it cost (in US dollars) if I were to stay for 5 days?
>>
>>1288780
Language Exchanges with drinking
>>
>>1288628
I was just making a reference to another thread posted on here, I don't actually hold those opinions just so you know.
>>
My solo trip begins today! Just flew into San Francisco, getting on a plane to Narita in about an hour. Wish me luck. If any of you will be in Tokyo for the next two weeks hit me up. Doing Disney, Fuji, Takaragawa Onsen and a Baseball game but most of my time is just gonna be exploring the city.
>>
So I'm planning to go to Japan for the 2020 Olympics. It will be my first trip to another country other than Canada and a Caribbean cruise. I plan to be there for about 3 weeks, so I can do the Olympics and Comiket in the same trip. I want to be able to book accommodations and flights as soon as possible, but most reservations I see only go a year out- are there ways to book beyond that?

I also plan to use these three years to learn Japanese, I hear it takes 4 years to be really fluent, but I live in the Bay Area so there are Japanese communities here where I'm sure I could find a tutor, will that shorten the time to learn?
>>
>>1288838
Also solo traveling, but I'm only arriving in Tokyo in 2 weeks, likely when you are leaving. Have fun and make sure to share some solo travel tips for Japan when you're done with your trip.
>>
>>1288853
if you just want to hold a basic conversation, you could do that in a number of months, it all depends how many hours you put in
>>
>>1288580
You going to Tokyo? Visit any DearStage. DS is prepared to handle tourists and more comfortable with these situations than [small] cafes owned/operated by small business owners. To add to other replies, it's common that you can't handle a phone/camera/any device in a general manner during a visit. Establishments rules are usually plastered in sensible English/pictographs and everywhere at the entrance, on the walls, on the tables, on the menus.

>>1288588
Check it on the fly with the Google Maps mobile app and don't worry about transit schedules and locations. A bus stop, train entrance, subway entrance will always be in sight and only a few steps away. Multiple bus, train, and subway routes towards your destination will always be available nearly every 0-10 minutes in these cities.

>>1288754
Tokyo is one of the best cities in the world, but I will agree with your recommendation in the case of tourists/people who are not born and bred in Japan. Shibuya and maybe Shinjuku are the best representations of Tokyo where these people can extract the most enjoyment during their visit in Tokyo. Everywhere else in Tokyo can only be appreciated generally by Members Only(R).

>>1288780
This >>1288783. The best place for Japanese people to engage with foreigners in a nonprofessional setting, and not vice versa.

>>1288782
The answer is generally yes in the case of tourism and especially for those who have never visited before. $200-250/day can cover hotel + square meals (with as few visits to convenient store as possible) + transit. Price of entertainment & pleasure is at your discretion.
>>
>>1288880
>$200-250 a day

lmao
>>
>>1288880
You can get by fine with about 70€ a day

30 bucks airbnb (includes pocket wifi), 10€ transport per day, 10€ food and 20€ fun money
>>
>>1288888
>>
Going to Tokyo, alone, for the first time in October for 10 days (well, basically 8 full days because of the flights) and while I've booked the flights already and have a general idea of what I want to do, where I want to go etc. I still haven't sorted my accommodation situation out. At first I thought I'd stay in a hotel but I've been browsing some airbnbs and that would be quite a lot cheaper. I've never used airbnb though so I'm not so sure about it. Any recommendations for airbnbs/hotels around the Shibuya area? Also, how legal are airbnbs currently in Japan/Tokyo?

Might as well ask about some other things while I'm at it.

I think I'm going to rent a pocket wi-fi for the trip so I have internet access, how much should I expect to pay for (a good) one for the whole trip? These are sold at the airport, right? And are they generally good/do they have some limits?

Any recommendations for record stores other than Tower Records and Disk Unions? Mainly looking for hip hop but interested in everything else too. Any worthwhile thrift shops with interesting stuff?

Also, I've noticed there are quite a few city gardens, which ones are the best? I have Koishikawa Korakuen written on my list.

Are there any good websites that have dates of upcoming concerts etc. in the area? I'd love to catch some gig while I'm there.
>>
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11bHTXUNIrkKOW3fZPPqDeAIynSEIcqdDt-CZJvB0XQk/edit?usp=sharing

My 3 week itinerary so far. Thoughts? Anything must see I am missing? Too ambitious? Still WIP, wanna add more, but other wards seem boring
>>
>>1288913
I have used Airbnb a lot, and have stayed at several Airbnbs throughout Japan. I haven't had a bad experience yet but I'm aware that it'll happen one day. That said, you're probably more likely to have a bad experience at any English speaking country than Japan.

Up until May-June this year, the legality of Airbnbs were a bit of a grey area. However, they passed legislation to allow it completely - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-09/airbnb-gets-green-light-in-japan-with-home-sharing-law-s-passage

I haven't stayed at an Airbnb in Shibuya before, so can't help you there.

I recommend getting a sim card instead of a pocket wifi as they're usually cheaper, and you don't need to worry about charging another device or having it on you at all times. You can get sims at the airport but I think it would be cheaper to buy online prior to departing.

I don't know how to answer the rest of your questions.
>>
So has anyone tried tsumaten in Osaka? Its older women and that's the age I like .
>>
Is it worth travelling to Hiroshima from Osaka to see Miyajima Island just for a day considering that I have to travel all the way to Minakami the morning after?
I ask because it's essentially cut out about 6 hours of the following day just for travelling back and I'm not sure that it's worth sacrificing all that time for just one day spent in Hiroshima considering I only have about 12 days.
>>
>>1288880
>Shibuya and maybe Shinjuku are the best representations of Tokyo where these people can extract the most enjoyment during their visit in Tokyo. Everywhere else in Tokyo can only be appreciated generally by Members Only(R).
No, man, I'm a tourist and I find Shinjuku and Shibuya fucking silly. I guess only young party people can appreciate them. I mean, they're cool to visit for an hour, but then you're done. Personally, I think Ueno Park and Imperial Gardens are far better than the childish mess of the most modern areas.
>>
File: 1301172807243.jpg (11KB, 331x309px) Image search: [Google]
1301172807243.jpg
11KB, 331x309px
>>1288989
>No, man, I'm a tourist and I find Shinjuku and Shibuya fucking silly. I guess only young party people can appreciate them. I mean, they're cool to visit for an hour, but then you're done. Personally, I think Ueno Park and Imperial Gardens are far better than the childish mess of the most modern areas.

You sound sooo mature, dude
>>
Fucked a Japanese/Korean shemale last night.
Feels bad man. Seeing my girlfriend today to go swimming and hot springs, just gunna try to forget it happened.
>>
>>1289023

Gee, it's almost like different people have different preferences. Who would have thought?
>>
>>1288894
>>1288989
To each his own way of enjoyment.

There is unlimited enjoyment in all of Tokyo, but the area between Shibuya and Shinjuku is the most inclusive representation of Tokyo because it has not only the "childish mess" but also everything else that is sparsely dotted everywhere else that's not in west Tokyo: city-life, every normal and "kooky" demographic, commerce & business, residential life, culture, history, nature... The area does a good job of condensing all the bobs and bits without the fomo during short, once in a lifetime visits to Japan. Parks/gardens are nice and it'd be great for a tourist to have the time to visit all of them, but tourists will be pleased with the fewest hops & skips to see nice parks in Yoyogi +/- Shinjuku while easily fitting everything else that [west] Tokyo has to offer in their schedule... Ideally, a tourist would see+do all of Tokyo [and Japan], but the truth is that even most Japanese people and people who live in Tokyo never see+do all of Tokyo.
>>
File: hokkaido.jpg (22KB, 750x641px) Image search: [Google]
hokkaido.jpg
22KB, 750x641px
Anyone been to Hokkaido? Is it worth a visit?
>>
>>1289044
Shinjuku and shibuya have more going on than you can possibly imagine.

You might not like it, but if you walk around for an hour and think youre done you are a loser with no friends.

Shinjuku is literally the densesy concentration of people on earth and half of them are having fun or partying as part of a scene or group, not as transients

Get real buddy
>>
I want to get a Japanese wife. I'm a bald half spic with too much money (oilfield) and no honey

Canadian girls are boring and Japanese women are about as exotic as it gets here, how do I attract a nice wife? I'm 25 and want kids pretty soon. Is that TMA marriage agency legit?
>>
>>1289082
Asian girls dont like spics. Even if they do, their parents will often disown them and brown children automatically are placed in thr worst schools, ehich basically dooms them to the lower class. Anyone remotely smart avoids his like the plague. You might end up with an ex working girl who is looking for a cushion
>>
How can I get to Russia from Hokkaido?
>>
>>1289038
did you suck her benis
>>
>>1289073
>Shinjuku is literally the densesy concentration of people on earth and half of them are having fun or partying as part of a scene or group, not as transients

You're only making >>1288989's point for him. I don't give a shit about partying, so the magic of the neighborhood is lost on me. If it's your thing, more power to you, but if you think everyone is out to party and get drunk off their ass with people they've never met, >get real buddy
>>
>>1289086
Human trafficking. Dress up like a girl and find the shadiest looking dude at the dock. He'll take care of you.
>>
>>1289088
You missed
>have fun as part of a scene
Dear god subcultures mingle without alcohol in a college like environment where groups of friends connect and organically mingle

Dear god, the horror, that might actually require effort

Best run back to thailand
>>
File: 1502853208083.jpg (30KB, 793x434px) Image search: [Google]
1502853208083.jpg
30KB, 793x434px
Anyone know where to find small music venues in Tokyo? I'm interested in checking out their underground music scene.
>>
>>1289076
Now it all makes sense.

>>>/int/78403063
>I do the subs for both english and Japanese.
>>
>>1289082
Try Brazilian and Peruvian girls of Japanese descent.
>>
>>1289071
Going there in a couple of days because I'm definitely sick of Tokyo. I need some nature, man... this fucking city is unhealthy.
>>
>>1289023
"Never say anything against Japan to a weaboo, son, never! You could lose your life!!". I guess mama was right ;-)

>>1289054
>unlimited enjoyment
A little overboard, don't you think? It's a huge metropolis, sure, but for anyone who's not a weaboo 4 days are definitely enough.

>>1289082
If you've convinced yourself Canadian girls are boring and Japanese women are perfect you read too much anime, my friend. Go ahead and pick a girl who's always condescending and has almost no personality... you'll see the tedium, you'll see... ha!

>>1289100
See, man? You got no responses. On average, weaboos are not interested in culture, like music, art, underground movements, etc. They read and watch anime all day. I'd love if you could receive an answer, because I'm interested too, but there's little hope.
>>
>>1289137
>no answer in 3 hours means not one's interested
Why don't you go back then, if you hate this thread and the filthy weebshits in it so much?
There were plenty of replies about how looking for vinyls, musics stores and little clubs where you could listen to jazz or other styles in earlier threads, but you wouldn't know since you're just here to shitpost.
>>
File: 1501520913415.gif (930KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1501520913415.gif
930KB, 270x270px
What's the cheapest way to stay out in Japan other capsules hotels?
>>
>>1289145
AirBNB
>>
>>1289145
free camping?
>>
>>1289145

I'm staying in Ikebukuro in a sectioned off part of somebody's flat for $11 a night. Basically get the place to myself because they work nights.
>>
>>1289156

Should specify this is Airbnb I'm talking about. Shit is honestly the way of the future.
>>
>>1289145
Sharehouses

>>1289141
Calm down dude
>>
>>1289145
If you're poor you should go somewhere else, desu. You'll enjoy your travel more.
>>
Anybody here ever been to jujos bizzare adventure? It's a JoJo themed bar. I went by there tonight and it looked closed, dark and quiet.
>>
>>1289038
If she was hot then you lived the dream. Feel no shame my friend.
>>
>>1289094
What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>1289100
>>1289137
Check tokyo gig guide, there are some very cool little bars in shimokita. You'll also get to feel superior to all the dirty weebs in akiba at the same time.
>>
Planning out my second trip to Japan in October. First trip was entirely in Tokyo, so more Kansai focused.

Sunday: Arrive late at night at HND, sleep at nearby airport hotel
Monday: Take early flight to Osaka (hotel base), see Osaka tourist stuff for rest of the day.
Tuesday: Kyoto day trip
Wednesday: Koyasan day trip
Thursday: Nara day trip
Friday: Hiroshima (new hotel base for Friday and Saturday)
Saturday: Miyajima day trip
Sunday: Fukuoka
Monday: Fly back to Tokyo for late evening flight

Would be using JR Sanyo Sanin Area Pass to travel between cities
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_sanyo_sanin.html

Traveling with my brother, so not interested in ryokan or onsen village stuff.

Definitely want to see a baseball game. This would be in the middle of the Climax Series/Nippon Series playoffs, so unable to plan which city, but Hanshin, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka are all doing well and should make the playoffs.

Questions:
1) Should I even bother spending the entire Monday doing Osaka tourist things? It seems like I could take care of Osaka sightseeing in the evenings after the day trips. If I move the Nara day trip to the first day, what should I do with the extra entire day?
2) Is one day enough for Kyoto? The bare minimum locations I want to visit are Kinkakuji, Kiyomizudera, Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama, and Omi Jingu (Chihayafuru weeb reasons). I could just use the potential extra day above to enjoy Kyoto at a leisurely pace.
3) Is Fukuoka worth visiting? The only things drawing me there are the tonkotsu ramen and the possibility of the baseball game. My other thought was fly back to Tokyo on Sunday, do a day trip to Kamakura, and just relax in Tokyo on Monday before the flight.
>>
>>1289076
Fuck off gay virgin
>>
File: 1280.jpg (100KB, 759x612px) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
100KB, 759x612px
What do japanese people think about body hairs? Would I get too many eyes on me chilling on a beach?
>>
>>1289264
The guy in pic is not me, but very close.
>>
>>1289264
If your arms and legs are like that, I don't even want to imagine how your chest and back are.
>>
File: 1463738080110.png (272KB, 485x489px) Image search: [Google]
1463738080110.png
272KB, 485x489px
Lmao this fucking guy
>>1288085
>>
>>1289264

In China you can be the Monkey King
>>
>>1289137
>A little overboard, don't you think? It's a huge metropolis, sure, but for anyone who's not a weaboo 4 days are definitely enough.
Unlimited enjoyment covers all different strokes for all different folks . In Tokyo, there is something familiar or new for any person today, tomorrow, and indefinitely. It has nothing to do with whether one is a weeaboo or not.
>>
Man I'm up at 5am here, never realized what a late starting society Japan is.
>>
>>1289332
5am is considered quite early in a lot of countries.
>>
File: 1467821320578.jpg (171KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1467821320578.jpg
171KB, 600x600px
So other than a couple planned things, I don't really have a set itinerary of things to do one my 3 week trip. I mostly plan to explore each city I visit with no general direction and see what happens. I just kinda' want to go with the flow and see what happens. Is this a bad idea?

Tokyo for 5 days + Ghibli Museum
Yokohama for 3 days
Hakone for 2 days
Nagoya for 2 days
Takayama for 2 days
Kyoto for 5 days
Osaka for 4 days
Then back to Tokyo for 3 more days.
>>
>>1289137
>for anyone who's not a weaboo 4 days are definitely enough
That's literally the opposite of true. 4 days is enough for a weeaboo because all they wanna see is akiba, any shrine/temple, and a ramen stand (just like in naruto!!!)

If you're NOT a weeaboo and are an actual traveller that legitimately enjoys new cities and cultures, there's a fuckton of stuff in tokyo. Museums, gardens, historic sites, more museums (lots of tiny ones for ultra-specific interests), concert venues, restaurants, and thousands of miscellaneous attractions.

But if you're a weeb, all you need is one or two stores to sell you animu figurines and loli doujins and you've basically covered your entire idea of Japan right there.
>>
>>1289145
Airbnb, or, if you're staying for a month or more, possibly a sharehouse. But the cheapest possible option is shared-room airbnb. You can find them for as low as half the price of even the cheapest hostel.
>>
>>1289264
We should really add something in the sticky that addresses this. Every single thread we get at least one person.
>Will my UNUSUALLY MASCULINE body be weird over there? Will I get looks for being a RARE SPECIMEN of MANLINESS?

Nobody cares that you're 6'10" or have a skull tattooed on your eyeball or look like you lurk /fit/ too much or have a footlong beard. The sheltered orientals have seen white people before. Yes, big ones. Yes, hairy ones. You're not blowing any minds.
>>
>>1289332
>>1289339
Yeah, 5 am is early anywhere, breh. But I also found that japan DOES start weirdly late. Nearly nothing is open at 8, which I would consider reasonable. Many things aren't even open by 10.
>>
>>1289339
>>1289361

Yeah the time change just has me fucked. Might just go down to Meiji Jingu and patrol a bit till a crepe place opens in Harajuku. Maybe find some more hikes to do if I'll be up this early every day.

In other news I had my first public bathhouse experience. It was actually pretty cool. Idk how the West is still so prudish.
>>
How much do pocket wifis set me back (per month)?
>>
>>1289358
Ok but do I have to shave my body before going to a soapland?
Will I be refused service for being a hairy gaijin?
>>
>>1289396

Doubt it. Public bath I went to last night those japs are packing some bush >>1289376
>>
>>1289396
As >>1289408 says, they're hairy as fuck. I felt out of place for having trimmed pubes
>>
I heard that most areas tend be closed on 1st Jan in tokyo. With that in mind. Any reccommendations on where i should go after i'm done with hatsumode?
>>
>>1289332
Im sitting in a Starcucks waiting for the mall its attached to to hurry up and open because I need to drop a third nuke in the nearest toilet. Place wont open until fucking 10.

Also christ the Japs are stupid, they go around dead tired, force everyone to be quiet on the trains, then stay up until like 2-3 in the fucking morning on a weeknight. Dead-set fucking morons.
>>
>>1289433
Izakaya
>>
>>1289396
The girl might think it's gross, but she wont say anything for the money you'll be paying. The real reason to shave is that she wont be able to slide her delicate body against yours with all that hair.
>>
>>1289163
where's it at?
>>
File: 1502772508296.png (55KB, 284x265px) Image search: [Google]
1502772508296.png
55KB, 284x265px
Cheap Airbnb places near Shibuya are hard to find during Halloween.
>>
I'm going to Japan soon! I'm going to stay with a family who has young boys, around 5yrs.

I need to come up with gift ideas for them. Anyone have suggestions?
>>
>>1289513
Confectionery ( that can survive travel ) from your country.
>>
I live in Nagoya, can /trv/ help me decide where I go this weekend? Options are Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or really anywhere else since I live in the middle of Japan. Or I can just stay in Nagoya this weekend since I've been gone the last two. I'm two indecisive and need help deciding.
>>
>>1289476
Near the Jujo station in kita-ku. I searched a bit online and it looks like it's reservation only. I'm gong to the dio bar in nakano instead. I only passed by that one because it's around the corner from my b&b.
>>
In terms of air fare prices, when is the best time to go?

I'm from Australia. Paid 1,100 AUD return last year, although this was during new years 2017.
>>
>>1289602
If you're the Aussie cunt who ran the last /trv/ meetup into the ground by hijacking the meetup, dragging people along forcefully without any plans, dragging everyone through a cramped yakitori-place alley so everyone got shouted and glared at and then in the end punctuated it with shouting "who wants to smash some yellow pussy" in front of Shinbashi station on a party night before giving up and stopping at a MOS Burger after dragging people around for three hours straight, you can save the plane ticket this time around.
>>
File: 023.jpg (24KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
023.jpg
24KB, 512x384px
>>1289602
I've got returned flights in October for $350 dollarydoos each, including select seating and 15kg lugage there, 25kg back.

Sucks to be you.
>>
>>1289602
Keep an eye out on Jetstar sales. About 3 or 4 times a year they do a 50% off sale for return flights to Tokyo and Osaka. My return flights from Sydney to Tokyo last November came to $420AUD.
>>
>>1289608
Jesus I'm sorry on behalf of our country, we're not all like that
>>
>>1289608
God, I hate our tourists so fucking much. Hope airfares never become ridiculously cheap so that the bogans never venture further than Bali.

>>1289609
>>1289610
Yeah, saw AirAsia with return to Osaka for 450$ a few weeks ago. Four hours later, I went to book and it fucking sold out.

Reckon anything cheap will come out for Dec-Jan?
>>
>>1289614
I'm not sure sorry, I actually was going to book those flights too but missed out. I ended up booking flights to Taipei for New Years, then going to Sapporo to ski, then coming back to Sydney via Tokyo. All flights came to $740 with China Airlines/Jetstar.
>>
>>1289615
740 is not fucking bad. Although China Airlines aren't the best.
>>
whats there to do in osaka anon
>>
>>1289616
Yeah thats true, but Aussie air traffic rules are some of the strictest in the world, and I run by the general rule that any airline that is legally allowed to land and takeoff in this country is safe enough for me. I don't really care about the inflight experience because I know it's going to be shit in economy on any airline haha
>>
>>1289618
Dotonbori
Osaka Castle
Universal Studios
Aquarium
Shinsaibashi
Tsutenkaku

all your typical touristy stuff.

Used Osaka as my base to visit Hiroshima, Kobe, Kyoto and Nara.
>>
File: wild-magic-mushrooms-275x300.jpg (24KB, 275x300px) Image search: [Google]
wild-magic-mushrooms-275x300.jpg
24KB, 275x300px
I recently read somewhere that magic mushrooms ("shrooms", "psilocybin" ...) are legal on Okinawa. Is this true? Are they legal in the rest of Japan also?
>>
>>1289396
Any soapland for foreigners?
>>
One day into my trip and I fucked up my knee. If it doesn't get better all my plans for this trip are sbot. Recs for good shops with swords that excel at suicide?
>>
>>1289639
Read the OP

>>1289649
I had a lot of knee pain after hiking up Mt Tsukuba, lasted about a week. Knee braces helped a ton. Just find any shop with 薬 in their sign, they'll have them. Unless by fucked you mean fucking broken, then it won't help you.
>>
File: 1417797347884.jpg (552KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1417797347884.jpg
552KB, 1680x1050px
I always thought it would be cool to teach in the north of Japan. Maybe the coastal regions, at least where it snows. Anyone have experience doing that here?
>>
>>1289513
5 y/o is apex toy/imagination time, so cool play toys/stuff might be nice, or some sort of tool or object they can use when they're older. Whatever you think is cool, kids pretty much think is cool too.
>>
How do you meet people in Osaka? Never been before but I'm moving there for an exchange year in a couple of days. Don't know any Osakan's thusfar and my course doesn't start for a while.
>>
>>1289844
I mean, same way you meet people anywhere, probably.

Show up to student orgs/events/clubs that interest you, participate in sports at a club or rec level, etc. Your host university probably has an International Students Association and it's probably on facebook. Join it, lurk it, post there.

Email your study abroad/international/whatever your home institution calls their study abroad office, see if there are other students from your school going. Look through your host institution's website, find what other universities they have an exchange program with, email those international study advisors, ask them to forward your email to other students.

Dang, man. You just gotta exist as a person and you meet people.
>>
File: 1437857354499s.jpg (5KB, 197x202px) Image search: [Google]
1437857354499s.jpg
5KB, 197x202px
I'm a white guy. Let's say I want to buy or rent an apartment that I can spend as much time during the year in as I want. I don't want to come to Japan and be a try hard Weeaboo. I like their culture and would want to walk around, check things out, but for the most part I'd keep to myself, contribute to the economy, and not be any trouble.

Would the general populace give me trouble or be xenophobic at all? Do they mostly just hate it when over the top weebs invade their land?
>>
>>1289893
You can't legally rent or buy property in Japan unless you're a Japanese national, or otherwise sponsored (working for a company who you rent through.)
>>
Anybody done a baseball game? How much better an experience is the Dome with the Giants than a Swallows game? For the price of nosebleeds for a Giants game I can get right behind the plate with the Swallows. I feel like outdoor stadiums are so much better too.
>>
>>1289903
Baseball is always better the closer to home, foul lines, or fence.

I'm going to assume you don't have skin in the game since otherwise you'd go to your team's games regardless, so get the good seats in the open stadium.

Sapporo has the Ham Fighters and AAAs so my goal is to get as loaded as possible off stadium beer as frequently as possible.
>>
>>1289898
http://japanpropertycentral.com/real-estate-faq/can-a-foreigner-purchase-property-in-japan/
How legal is this?
>>
>>1289898
not quite true, but basically true

>>1289915
not gonna read an faq for you. just stay in a backpacker or student dormitory
>>
can I buy a car there and ship it back RORO? Thanks.
>>
>>1289915
Real the FAQ, it is pretty fucking tough if you have to finance, even if married to a Japanese. If you can pay in full, in cash, that's a different story. Chinese have been doing quite a lot of that in ski resort areas so that their wealth isn't all sitting in a bank.
>>
>>1289929
japan is about the last place you should invest n land. those chinese must have been desperate
>>
>>1289924
Duh...? It's capitalism. You give the seller money and they give you the thing you want.

The question you should have but didn't ask isn't going to be answered by /jp/ as we're not import lawyers. The usual adage "If you have to ask, no," probably applies.
>>
>>1289898
>You can't legally rent or buy property in Japan
Complete bullshit. I know several people who have bought property in grorious Nippon, and who are neither Japanese nor married to one nor working there.
>>
>>1290007
Then what the fuck are they doing there?
>>
>>1289898
Not sure about actually buying property, but you definitely can rent you fucking twit
>>
>>1290012
no he is right. if you are not sponsored you can only rent from specially licensed companies and only in areas specifically zoned to rent to foreigners

trv is always on such a high horse, ignorant, assuming. i bet you voted for hillary
>>
I'm a student so I can only go for a significant trip in summer. Is June-July or August-September better? I mainly want to avoid heavy rain.
>>
>>1288526
How hard is it to get a citizenship in Japan?
also
How hard is it to get a Tourist visa in Japan?
>>
>>1290076
a. nearly impossible
b. if you are a first worlder, you get it on arrival
c. kill yourself
>>
>>1290076
Live here for 10 years and you get permanent residency that's about the best you'll do
>>
Guys I have a couple of questions:

I'm getting a job in a company and my salary will be 150000 yen, and I'm aware that it is not enoguh, but I'm wondering could I find any weeknd jobs? How much money should I be paid to survive at least?
>>
>>1290096
At the very least you need 350000 yen to survive like a human and not like a hobo
>>
>>1289608
Hey autismo-kun
It's said aussie here
if you're gonna talk shit, come to my country and say it faggot
you a salty mf you didn't get any "yellow pussy"
>>
>>1290110
I don't even need to say anything, do I?
Look at Australian tourism and weep.
>>
>>1290111
He seems like an alright lad. I bet he's loyal to his mates, which is more than can be said about you and your perfidious kind.
>>
>>1290111
We all kind of knew you had autism/slight down syndrome but your comments just confirm what we all knew.

Do yourself and your family a favor, just end it.
>>
>>1290011
Living the dream.
>>
>>1289725
Haven't taught there but visited Aomori at the top of Honshu for a few days earlier this year. It's great up there. Good food, quiet enough, great weather at that time of year with all the snow and beautiful mountains, and makes a lovely change from Tokyo and Kyoto!
>>
>>1289725
If you're interested in that region, the Abroad in Japan youtube channel has great info on Tohoku and some teaching stories.
>>
>>1289984
>when someone types up a shit reply and it doesnt help anyone in any way
>>
>>1289608
Lmao sounds like a sick cunt, would smash yellow pussy with 10/10
>>
>>1290259
Ask a better question, then.

Yes, you could buy your JDM R33 Nur, and yes you could have CBP crush it off the boat because you imported it illegally.
>>
Hello friends,

Can anyone give some insight into traveling to Japan over December? Anything that will be shutdown or too cold to do or visit?

Currently looking at something like:
3 days Tokyo -> 5 days Hakuba (ski, snow monkeys) -> 2 days Hida-Takayama (is it possible to day trip Mt fuji from here?) -> 5 days Kyoto (day trips to Nara, Osaka, Himeji, Hiroshima) -> leave

Hopefully that doesn't greentext.

Is it worth going down to stay in Hiroshima or no? It's a pretty long train trip but I am unsure if it's worth going down to stay a night or if there's not a lot to see and do there.

I've been to Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo before but mostly stuck to the city stuff, there's a few specific sites I missed that i want to see (Harajuku District, Meiji Shrine, Himeji Castle, Kyoto Gion District) and a few places I'd like to visit again, but now I want to do a bit of skiing and see some different things (eg. nice onsen, countryside)

Can anyone share thoughts? I suspect most of this will be covered by a JR pass so it might actually be worthwhile getting one for once.
>>
>>1289639
Walk around yoshiwara and the touts will tell you. Also don't ask here.
>>
>>1290285
There are certainly days worth of stuff to do in Hiroshima: Miyajima, Okunoshima, Kure museums and other war stuff, Okonomiyaki, baseball, etc.
>>
>>1290285
There's stuff to do in Hiroshima but it's easily one of the most boring cities in Japan from what I've visited. It's way too far as well.

Holocaust museum is okay to see but I've found it not worth the long ride to get there. Miyajima is wonderful and Okunoshima will get you lots of social media likes if you get the rabbits close to you and Okonomiyaki is delicious but otherwise I'd say Hiroshima was one of the least memorable of my trip across Japan.
>>
>>1290285
JR pass covers it's cost if you use it for the shinkansen. Half the time you'll find stations not accepting the JR pass because they're a different company when you're outside of Tokyo and sometimes JR stations take a longer travel time. Otherwise a simple shinkansen trip from Tokyo to Osaka would have easily covered the costs of a JR pass already.
>>
>>1290320
Yeah, it's probably more worth it if you were planning on going down to Kyushu as well.
>>
Anyone done an academic semester/year in Japan and have any experience or wisdom to share about joining/participating in clubs? I leave for mine in a few weeks. There are a couple clubs/orgs/groups/whatever that I'm interested in joining but I don't really know anything about university club culture.

Dos, don'ts, top tips and tricks welcome.

General academic/university life/culture/etc wisdom, advice, and so on welcome too.
>>
I want to go the Japan around Christmas and New Years, maybe ten days or so, how much is a fair amount to be comfortable to spend? (just spending money) Would 1,000 USD work for about 10 days of just eating out, transport, and a bit of shopping? I want to go to Comiket.
>>
>>1290352
Didn't really have time to join a club so I can't give any advice in that respect.

If your university is anything like mine, you'll have English courses which are open to both Japanese and English students, so it's a real doozy workload wise.

Go to those stupid exchange student events and make friends to regularly hang out with. Go to the beach with a bunch of them and do some watermelon cracking.
>>
>>1290354
>Would 1,000 USD work for about 10 days of just eating out, transport, and a bit of shopping? I want to go to Comiket.

That's 100USD/day. You can very easily spend upwards of 100 on Comiket alone. Transport costs can be a bit on the pricey side, 10+ a day if you're traveling a lot. If you eat out, expect maybe 30 a day. Just be honest with your spending habits and draw up a table.
>>
>>1290355
Yeah, I've got to take 2 semesters of 6 classes @ 2 units each to maintain my full time student status. I've checked the most recent fall semester course catalog, though, and all the classes (that I qualify for, poli sci, econ, etc) seem really easy compared to the courses I take at my home university. I've checked out syllabi for them and the work load per-class doesn't seem too bad, but 6 classes adds up fast. At least 4 of my 12 units will be Japanese language as well, so that could get difficult quick. I take my placement exam the second week of September.

What was your experience like, in general or specific?
>>
>>1290354
>Comiket

Considering how this might be one of the last comikets and I know for a fact that a ton of 4channers go to winter Comiket everyyear, you'll be fine. Just post again in december so you can find the other people and you can share costs because those animefags are seriously very poor. They know all the cheap places to eat at and they sleep at Manga cafes on a chair.

You can easily ask them for tips to survive on 2000 yen a day.
>>
>>1290356
I plan to focus on Tokyo, not looking to travel throughout the country or anything. My first trip to a country I like to stick to a place or two and really enjoy that, then expand after I return. So I was thinking most of my money would be spent eating and shopping desu.
>>1290359
>One of the last
Source ? why do you say that?
>>
>>1290366
Olympics 2020 is coming, they want to clear out Big sight where Comiket is held every year. 2018 is when they plan to close the place down to build up for the Olympics and they confirm that they will need the location after the Olympics is over for a while.

Recent polls have the Otaku saying they dont want Comiket to move out of Tokyo and there's no venue large enough to hold that much visitors to comiket every year. Either way you'll probably miss one of the last chances to experience Comiket at big sight for at least for the next 2-3 years to come.
>>
>>1290358
Sounds very similar to my experience in terms of units, I did international gov, econ etc. You'll probably be most pressed in the language classes. Expect to spend the most time with others in your language classes so make sure you get along with them.

It's very easy to dilly dally at home on your days off. I recommend you proactively plan/scout trips ahead of time and you'll find people keen to tag along without having to do the annoying research themselves. One of my most enjoyable memories was cycling along the roads in a quiet seaside town. Make a list of your favourite weeb spots (i.e. Love Live steps, Kimi no Na wa cafe, Shinjuku Gyoen) so you don't hit yourself over the head after you leave.

You will be eligible for a student transport pass which will give you unlimited travel between a set route. Choose the route with the best connections to city hubs/transfers to save yourself some cash.

Get HelloTalk/Tinder and talk to girls. Beware because they are FLAKY. Basically if you want anything out of them make sure you set the meeting to either the present day or the next day and confirm with them before heading out and wasting your time. If you're white, extra props to you, just go to bars and SMASH YELLOW PUSSY.
>>
>>1288838
I'm in Japan right now, currently in Kyoto - but I'm heading back to Tokyo in two days.
>>
File: 320.jpg (1000KB, 2448x3059px) Image search: [Google]
320.jpg
1000KB, 2448x3059px
>>1289608
KEK

I was at this meet. It wasn't as bad as you're describing it. That guy from Perth was a super cool guy, the small bars and restaurants we went to were great to at least sight see since we couldn't even get a proper table to fit us all.

I don't remember him saying "who wants to smash some yellow pussy" though.
>>
Anyone been to VR Zone Shinjuku? I want to try the Mario Kart VR and probably the Gundam game too
>>
>>1290015
>i bet you voted for hillary
I've been renting in Nagoya for 4 months now w/o sponsorship or renting w/ a specially licensed company, and I'm not American
>ignorant, assuming.
>>
>>1289903
What kind of gayball would play for a team called the swallows?
>>
Is it normal for women to compliment other women in Japan? My girlfriend knows a decent amount of Japanese and she was having conversations with gorgeous shop workers at Shibuya 109. She'd never seen such well-dressed people in her life so she was telling them they looked amazing. It's not like she was hitting on them because I was the hovering boyfriend carrying the bags - I'm pretty sure that transcends language.

Was it awkward of her to do that? t's something I've always been curious about because Japanese people keep to themselves so much. She's the type of person that'd run through five lanes of traffic to tell someone their hair looks nice.
>>
>>1290416
he was right though. you have no legal right to rent as a visitor and do so through specially licensed companies in zoned areas
>>
>>1290428
What kind of uneducated twat doesn't know that many baseball teams are named after birds?
>>
>>1290370
Japanese girls are the biggest flakes in the world. I had five tinder girls flake on me in a row when i first arrived and I thought there was something seriously wrong with me.
>>
>>1290431
>millions of birds
>chooses "swallows"

Really makes you think
>>
>>1289623
Illegal in all places
>>
>>1290435
You must be at least 18 to use this website, son.
>>
>>1290429
I've had random japanese girls compliment my girl while we were there. It's normal.
>>
>>1289623

Bump 4 interest, serious question. Where do I find magic mushrooms
>>
>>1289623
>Japan
>legal drugs

Nah mate.
>>
File: 1362571841974.png (258KB, 421x500px) Image search: [Google]
1362571841974.png
258KB, 421x500px
I'll probably rise a chuckle out of some of you with this but do I need to be full on naked in bathhouses/onsens? Will I look weird if I'm not? Ding dongs scare me.
>>
>>1290477
If you're that anxious about it you could go to a mixed gender onsen with swimsuits.
>>
>>1290370
>It's very easy to dilly dally at home on your days off.

Don't I know it. I have a stack of work to do and instead I'm on the chans talking to internet strangers.

>if you want anything out of them make sure you set the meeting to either the present day or the next day and confirm with them before heading out and wasting your time.

It's some sort of weird cultural artifact that makes dipping out on the stealth socially acceptable. I've had friends talk about it. Top tip on day of/next day scheduling advice.

I [x] check that Anglo box though, so yeet there.

My Big Weeb Thing is the idolmaster cafe during my favorite girl's birthday celebration. Hopefully I can make it work, but it's going to be a long trip there and back.

What's the university atmosphere/culture like? Can't be all that much different, really. I'm going from a large state school to a large state school so...
>>
I'm having trouble with hostels. I can't decide between staying in one place in Asakusa for two weeks and taking trains everywhere or switching between hostels depending on what area I'm in (e.g. Shibuya, Ueno, etc)
>>
do you guys know if there are any Mahjong parlors that cater to beginners/foreigners? I've been playing for about a year now and I'd like to give it a shot.

Similar question for Table Tennis
>>
>>1290477
>>
>>1290477
>Ding dongs scare me
You've nothing to be afraid of in Japanese male changing rooms, then.
>>
>>1290536
It takes about 30-40 mins to go from Asakusa to Shibuya.

Keep that in mind.
>>
>>1290553
To add to this, travel will eat up your time as well as not being able to hang out as late due to train times.
>>
>>1290554
Ah, I see. Are there places you'd recommend for travelling from Asakusa to? I'd like to stay at my hostel in Asakusa maybe for three nights if that is the case. Depends if it's worth in terms of not taking too long to take the subway or whatever to other zones.
>>
With the revelancy of train times, what are the best areas of Tokyo to base out of? I was originally planning Ikebukuro for my trip next year.
>>
>>1290477
Most, yes. I had to get fully naked around a bunch of old Japanese men and some of their kids, and it was super weird to me but evidently reasonably normal to them. They did look shifty towards us because we were white though.
>>
>>1290536
Take the trains man. They are cheap, run like constantly and can get you anywhere.
>>
File: 1496295041501.jpg (11KB, 192x146px) Image search: [Google]
1496295041501.jpg
11KB, 192x146px
So here's my dilemma,

I want to go see a classical orchestra concert where they play scores from certain video games/anime? Is there anything like that happening in Japan this year?

If so please let me know, thanks!
>>
I wanna go see armored military vehicles and aircraft, are there any cool military museums like that in/around Tokyo?

Or any bases that do public tours?
>>
>>1290671
g o o g l e
>>
>>1288526
If anyone has been to Japan on an extended visit (I'm going for 10 months) how much Japanese do you think is appropriate to learn before going? I leave in about 34 days so I have some time to learn.

I also have a friend whose going for a similar length of time who just landed and speaks absolutely no Japanese. He's been there like a day and mostly just smiled and people and said arigato.
>>
>>1290682
>(I'm going for 10 months)

da fug? If you're getting sent for work, you'll learn exactly what you need to survive as you need it. Make sure you're going out with your Japanese colleagues, though.

If you're going for school, lmao. Could be rough, but you'll get shoved into a class. Hope your classes are in English!
>>
>>1290684
>If you're going for school, lmao
Yeah I'm doing a student exchange, all the classes are in English though. Its more the day to day travel or interacting with nips that I'm wondering about.
>>
>>1290685
You'll be fine. English serves as the lingua franca in any robust exchange program. see: classes in English.

You'll (presumably) be required to take language classes, but you'll probably learn faster b/c immersion. It'll be important to actually go out and do things with Japanese, though, if you want to be Japanese proficient. You'll learn exactly as much as your brain thinks is necessary to survive, so forcing yourself to be immersed in it is a way to soak it up like a sponge. More fun than hiding in a dorm room shitposting on chans and playing video games too.

Where you headed?
>>
>>1290688
Thanks for the advice, I'm heading off to one of the smaller universities in West Tokyo.

>More fun than hiding in a dorm room shitposting on chans and playing video games too.

I mean I saw on a vlog about the place from 2011 a sign saying skype slowed the internet down too much so don't use it, so I imagine living the shutin student life would just add me ot the suicide statistic.
>>
>>1290690
>West Tokyo

Word. I'm gonna be living that Hokkaido life myself. Maybe we'll run bump into each other, although as of now I don't have any particular plans to ever be down in Tokyo, although I think I did promise a friend of mine I'd be at his booth at winter comiket. I do plan to be in Hiroshima for the 73rd anniversary, though, but just a day or two before heading back to Hokkaido. I think that whole week is a holiday.

>add me ot the suicide statistic.

God, I hope university students aren't the drained of joy wageslaves the working salaryman and OL are. I want to have fun, not to also add myself to that statistic.
>>
>>1290678

Well let's see if you can find an answer, smart guy
>>
>>1290700
Yeah, it would be really smart of me to research for you.
>>
>>1290703

It's not like you're contributing actual answers on a travel general, your sarcasm smells of vomit.
>>
>>1290708
>>1290703
>>1290700
just kiss already, would you?
>>
>>1290714
They've already done the foreplay, shut up and fuck.
>>
>>1290672
I found the answer but I won't tell you since it takes three words to google, and less time than typing your or my post.
>>
Trip to Tokyo, doable on less than $150 a day? Beyond doable, is it enjoyable?
>>
>>1290723
Hostel $30
Food $30
Transport rail pass free
Transport no rail pass $15

You can do it even cheaper l, but that's a nice hostel, they are decent meals, ramen, sushi, curry, gyoza etc

Sites like Meiji shrine are free, go to the government building for a view of the city instead of Tokyo tower.

$150 is a lot of money per day, you will be fine.
>>
>>1290730
You can eat for $15 a day if you are not a landwhale
>>
File: 1499205887135.jpg (247KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1499205887135.jpg
247KB, 1366x768px
I could use some advice from those of you that have stayed for an extended period of time over there. I've had really bad social anxiety for the past few years, I have trouble even walking into a grocery store by myself without breaking out into a cold sweat. I've been forcing myself to go out and about alone to expose myself and kind of lessen the anxiety. I still can't go to a fast food joint alone or even really consider sitting down in a restaurant by myself. I'll be moving there rather soon for 2 years at least. Have you guys been able to get over social anxiety over there? I imagine once I get there it won't be to much of a problem but I'd like to hear about your experiences. Any advice is welcome!
>>
>>1290745
probably one of the worst place to get over social anxiety in Japan. These people aren't actually really friendly. They are acting friendly.

But it's the best place to be anti social though. Everyone is doing their own thing. No one bothers you unless you want to be bother.
>>
>>1290685
Don't worry, you'll never have to speak Japanese because you'll become the resident English practice machine.

They aren't interested in the you interested in Japan. What they want is a big white CHAD with CHAD hobbies and SHIT Japanese.
>>
Well guys I'm leaving in a few hours to Narita, I have no plans, no agenda and no hotel reservations, I'm just planning on going with the flow. How fucked am I?
>>
>>1290774
Not very, it's a first world country? No need to be so melodramatic, mate.
>>
>>1290774
I hope you have a plane ticket ya fucking drongo.
>>
>>1290560
It depends on where you plan to go mostly.

Shibuya and Shinjuku are on one side of Tokyo

Akihabara, Tokyo station and Asakusa are on the other side.

It takes about 30-40 mins to travel from one side of tokyo to the other and like if you plan to go to Akihabara everyday, it would be a problem if you stayed in Shinjuku.
>>
>>1290782
>if you plan to go to Akihabara everyday, it would be a problem if you stayed in Shinjuku.

Not really, there's a direct line cutting through the middle of Tokyo. Shinjuku is GOAT for all your transport needs but is also navigation hell.
>>
>>1290745
Everyone in stores repeat the same lines at you so they're more like robots than people. You'll probably get over your social anxiety because there's going to be people everywhere in japan.
>>
>>1290785
I mean in travel time, train systems in Tokyo is great and efficient, it just surprisingly eats up your time quickly.

Before I went to Japan I thought that staying in one area and having it as base would be easy due to the trains but the commute to different areas proved to be a pain due to the number of people and the amount of transfers I had to take to get there. Then I would be tired by the end of the day and have to go with the going home from work hours which makes the trains quite crowded. Also it's not very fun when you're out in Shibuya and having fun but realise you need to cut out an hour and leave early because otherwise you might miss the last train.

It's far smarter to just plan ahead and to position yourself closer to the areas you think you'll visit more.
>>
>>1290774
Enjoy sitting in your hotel room and browsing 4chan like half the people who didn't plan their trip do.
>>
>tfw back for 3 days but already want back

;__;
>>
>>1290782
>>1290787
This seems silly to me, but maybe its because Americans and Brits are used to being so jam-packed together. I live in Australia and it's common to travel an hour to hour and a half just to go shopping.
>>
>>1290801
there's a difference between standing in a train for that long versus driving there in the comfort of your own car
>>
>>1290803
Yeah, I mean on a train. I don't drive and live a minimum of 45 minutes away from anything by bus or train.
>>
>>1290695
>Word. I'm gonna be living that Hokkaido life myself.
Neet, when I'm over there I'll see whose in /JG/ for a tokyo meet.
>>
Let's go smash some yellow pussy
>>
What's your guy's favorite low key tier 2 comfy city?

Matsuyama for me
>>
Good I can't speak their gooblydegop language, anime sucks and I just wanna smash JK girls
>>
>>1290831
Ryan Boundless is that you?
>>
yes
>>
>>1288715
Nikko. Not super much to do but comfy as fuck and great if you like shrines with a million steps
>>
SMASH
>>
>>1290785
The crowds and chaos are what put me off Shinjuku. I think Ikebukuro will be fine, I won't be staying out too late anyway as I want to be waking up early for sightseeing and there is no one area that I plan to spend multiple days in.
>>
>>1290055
Bumping this. I know it's a google type question, but the information changes from site to site.
>>
>>1288715
Nikko is heavily trafficked by tourists, but the temples there are amazing. The towns beyond Nikko (Chuzenji, Yumoto) have a lot less tourists. Chuzenji in particular is really comfy, right at the base of Mt Nantai, between the mountain and Lake Chuzenji, and kind of overlooks the valley that the lake flows in towards Nikko.
>>
File: IMG_3309.jpg (2MB, 3629x2420px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3309.jpg
2MB, 3629x2420px
>>1288715
Shirakawa-go ? Just hope you don't encounter chink group.
>>
>>1290745
Honestly, as a person with very strong social anxiety, I found going to stores and stuff even easier in Japan. I didn't "get over" my anxiety (that doesn't happen, it's not how mental disorders work, you're stuck with it forever, so good luck with that loser), but daily life was actually fairly anxiety-free. Just being in a new, alien environment was actually kinda comforting. You can totally disengage.
>>
>>1290789
This.
>>1290774
If you didn't make any plans, you're going to end up wasting a lot of your time. That's fine if you're there for a month or something. You'll also end up spending a lot more money.
>>
Osaka or Toyko for my first time?
>>
>>1290747
>But it's the best place to be anti social though. Everyone is doing their own thing. No one bothers you unless you want to be bother.
That's what I've read and heard from different people. It sounds pretty good actually, I could slowly integrate myself.
>because there's going to be people everywhere in japan.
That's kinda why I'm hoping the exposure will help, it will force me to get over the anxiety.
>>1290999
That sounds wonderful. My main problem has been the need to always be attentive of where I am and who I'm talking to and it gets overwhelming with so many people. Thank you for the advice! I know the anxiety doesn't entirely go away, I guess I meant it more in a way that I could manage it.
>>
What is there to do at Niigata city other than Ponshukan and the manga museum?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgP5mLnSCcP8tj1jWIWYP5Q/videos

>tfw watching episodes about each location in japan because I want to go back
>>
>>1291136
Thanks, I also need the vids for withdrawals.
>>
how 2 smash yellow pussy?
>>
>>1291267
be aussie
>>
>>1288526
i thought of visiting
>>
>>1290429
Your girlfriend is probably turning out to be bi-curious at the least. Trust me, I've seen this before multiple times. Ask her in a subtle way what she thinks about specific girls and if she's ever had a sexual girlcrush in her life etc etc

>>1290370
So you're saying Japanese universities is pretty much a cakewalk if you don't have any language classes? I also want to know what the proper clothing etiquette is during presentations. Do they expect you to wear a full suit?
>>
Travelling to Japan next year, probably around fall so it's not high-season and prices are lower.

I'm gonna stay there for 2 weeks and we'll go to Tokyo, but I want to see Kyoto as well.

What do you recommend? 1 week in Tokyo and 1 week in Kyoto and take the plane from Osaka, or is it better to take 4-5 days in Tokyo, then 3-4 days in Kyoto and then the final 5-6 days in Tokyo again?

Or should we go all out and split it 5/5/4 in Tokyo/kyoto/Osaka?
>>
>>1291295

Also, is it best to book before-hand through airbnb or is it better to just book airbnb for Tokyo first, and then book for the final destinations when we're there?

Is Airbnb even the most worthwhile in Japan?
>>
>>1291295
you can do something like 4 days Tokyo, 2-3 days Kyoto, 1-2 days Osaka and then back for the reminder (maybe seeing something else in between if you want).
>>1291299
airbnb is decent, hostels are probably better for meeting people if you're traveling alone.
>>
Anon who mentioned going to a Giants/Swallows game here. Ended up with a last minute center field ticke. Could not have been happier. Best sporting event I've ever been to. The tickets for outfield are $12 so the stands are jam packed with passionate fans. They all got so into it that I wanted to as well and ended up with a hat, towel, umbrella and noise maker bats. Did my best to keep up with chants and the people around me basically adopted me. Was an extremely vocal japanese woman with a bottle of wine she was chugging from, her friend, two crazy animated drunk Japanese guys and a girl around my age who was a super fan and spoke a little English. They bought me yakisoba, beer and we all took pictures. And the Swallows won too. I can't imagine going back to American boreball
>>
>>1290789
>>1291000

I went with no plans other than general "this would be cool" and found it to work out just fine. Everything I've done has been super eventful but decided that morning. When I finish one activity I usually say fuck it and randomly pick the next. I woke up Monday and said Fuji sounds good. Booked it up to the top and stayed till sunrise (Terrible idea but worth it) then as I was walking down the mountain I was thinking how good an onsen sounded but realized it didn't have the time to go up to Gunma so I sat at a rest station and bought Baseball tickets for the might. Had just enough time to shower my Fuji stink and get to the stadium. I usually find excessive planning impedes. You'll end up trying so hard to stick to the plan that either A) Something goes wrong and throws a wrench in it and you dont know how to handle it B) Youfe so shut off to impulse you miss out on some of the coolest experiences.
>>
>>1290745

As someone diagnose with a paranoid social anxiety disorder yes and no. The language barrier basically makes it so spilling your spaghetti and just nodding at everything and mumbling is expected. But the language barrier also causes that "They're all looking at/talking about me" type if anxiety if that's something you suffer from.

>>1290745
>>
>>1291330
Personally I like a hybrid, planned chaos approach. Have a general idea of places you want to see and go, but only book the things that need early booking in advance. Then just play it all by feel. I use a wheelchair though, so I generally have to be aware of what places are accessible and what routes to take ahead of time.
>>
File: img_7.jpg (38KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
img_7.jpg
38KB, 500x352px
Heading to Tokyo for a week. Any anons wanna meet up?
>>
>>1291438
Unsurprisingly there's a shitton of 4channers who live in Tokyo.

It's just finding them is trouble.
>>
What's the best way to get cash at Narita Airport? I have a debit card, but I hear that just bringing your own cash to the currency exchange booth is alright.
>>
>>1291455
I have a similar question; is it better to exchange money at your bank before you leave or wait till you're at Narita/Haneda?
>>
>>1291460
From what I hear, you will always get better exchange rates when you're actually inside the country you're traveling to, no matter which it is.
>>
Is there a service that could take my lost and found from Narita airport police and send it to Europe?
>>
>>1290830
Anything you can recommend in Matsuyama? I'm spending a couple of nights there (between Shimanami Kaido and Hiroshima) and don't know an awful lot about the place besides the castle and Dogo Onsen.
>>
>>1291460
>>1291461
I guess it depends where you're coming from but this may not be the case, and if you're just using an ATM in Japan your bank could charge you significantly (3.5% for forex ATM withdrawls for me).

There are pre-paid cards/virtual banks like Revolut (might be EU only) that will give better exchange rates and lower/no commission on forex.
>>
>>1291460
There are currency exchange comparison sites online, can usually find a good option there with buyback etc.
>>
>>1291320
Sounds excellent, anon. Thanks for sharing your experience.
>>
File: THANKS.jpg (47KB, 369x368px) Image search: [Google]
THANKS.jpg
47KB, 369x368px
This may sound stupid but im going to Japan soon and I'm going to meet a few japanese friends that i made a few months ago. How should i call them? one of them is a girl younger than me. (20)

I'm talking about the San, Kun, Chan bs.
>>
>>1291567
Call them by their first name. You are a foreign ran notjapanese.
>>
>>1291577
Fine then. Thanks.
>>
I'm planning on going to Japan the week of the new year. What should I go to see? I was thinking of going to a Himeji Castle, visiting a Buddhist temple, and Akihabara (which my weeb friend says is something weeb-y). What other places are good tourist sites?

I don't know anything about Japan really.
>>
>>1291597
things will be closed during new years so make your plans accordingly.
>>
>>1291601
Ah okay. We'll be there all week though.
>>
>>1291601
Any recomendations to celebrete New Years Eve? I will arrive december 28.
>>
>>1291606
There will be a large group of people from here and from 4chan celebrating New Years.

We will maybe make a group and we can meet up and do stuff.
>>
>>1291286
Yes, courses taught in English are quite simple because they have to cater for Japanese students as well as foreign students who can't speak English too well. Japanese language classes depend on how much you actually want to learn. You could always scrape a pass in your classes or gimp yourself in the placement test but personally I don't think that's a very productive use of your time.

Clothing etiquette was completely casual, although I suspect you ought to get a feel for the class first. Either way I don't think they expect exchange students to pull a suit out of their ass so you shouldn't worry too much. At least, these were my experiences at a nice university in Tokyo.
>>
>>1291606
>Any recomendations to celebrete New Years Eve?

Break oriental-coloured felines.
>>
>>1291638
This.

There are a lot of lonely single japanese girls during New Years.
>>
>>1291641
How to meet them? Everyone seems to be out as a couple.
>>
>>1291608
I really wish i could be part of this, it sounds positvely awful
>>
>>1291597
Akihabara isn't weeb-y, it's no holds barred the most weeb place on planet earth
>>
Fuck, man. I can't get over post-Japan trip blues. I went there for a month in November last year and it was so good i want to go again. I'm a 21 year old with a well-off famlily but i'm currently a NEET and i while the thought of studiying Japanese there for 6 months just for kicks went trough my head i also can't get over how it would cost so fucking much and give me so little in return all things considered.
>>
>>1291645
I'm in my second week but I feel like I'm just about at my limit for being on my own in a foreign country. 2 weeks is the sweet spot. How was your routine for that month?
>>
>>1291653
I was there with five friends so one month was much easier to handle than it would have been on my own, although i do admit that 20 days in i did start craving for rice that actually tasted like something. We were staying in tokyo but we did go to Hiroshima and Kyoto for one day each, and we mostly just went to tourist places (we prepared an extensive list before the trip) and just did whatever in the downtime.

Honestly the downtime might be my favorite part. Tourist places are great (I'm in love with Hakone for example) but just taking the metro anywhere in Tokyo, walking around the streets, browsing music at Tower Records or just hanging around in Akihabara was great. One of my favorite moments of the trip was when me and another friend went to a Baskin Robbins at Naka-Meguro (we don't have it where we're from), ordered some "very berry strawberry" icecream and stood on an alley off the middle street eating it. Standing there in the cold, eating ice-cream, in the middle of all those buildings, all those signs while we watched the people pass by is a moment i wish i could just freeze in time and keep with me forever. I'm just blogging at this point really, but it helps to cope with the nostalgic feeling i get when i think about it.
>>
>>1291643
I've hanged out with people from different boards in japan and /a/ goers are all autistic weirdos but they're the only chance you can talk about lolicon in public.

Every other people ive met who browse other boards are more balanced and are in japan due to different circumstances rather than just /a/'s anime.
>>
>>1291662
Jokes on you, i went to a Mandarake store and browsed the comic LO for our favorite loli artists. It felt like living the dream.
>>
>>1291663
"i went to a Mandarake store with my friend" is what i meant to say there.
>>
>>1291663
Well, they're weirdos but it's fun and memorable times in Japan with them.

Like a dude who bought a doll and brought it out drinking as his daughter, Like hanging out at the arcades until they close playing music games, Like browsing hentai shops with them, Like hearing stories about how they spent thousands on doujins and had to sleep in a manga cafe, Like visiting a crossdressing maid cafe and etc.

Fun times.
>>
>>1291532
there are some nice side trips you can take from there (Ozu, Uwajima, Shimonada station). Matsuyama also has a good expat scene with decent bars
>>
>>1291665
Sounds more like autism attracts. It sounds awful and smelly.
>>
I went to meet up with some at AX off a thread, walked by, saw who was waiting for me and kept going. Looked like a female version of Mask.
>>
>>1288914
Thanks for sharing, going to have a look at it. Appreciate for sharing. if anything I'll test this in Oct :)
>>
I'm going to be in Tokyo this weekend because I planned to go to the Anisama in saitama but the tickets sold out in minutes. Literally only going since my transport/hotel is already set. I've been to pretty much most of the general tourist traps and going to see newer things like the Unicorn being built in Odaiba and the new gundam model store etc.

Any new shit to check out in Tokyo that's kinda fresh in the past 6 months?
>>
Been living in Sapporo for about a year now, feel free to ask any questions, specifically about Japanese girls/the dating scene.
>>
>>1291702
Don't you usually need experience in the thing you're giving advice for
>>
>>1291702
How to pick up girls if you only know basic japanese. Tinder doesn't count.
>>
Is it possible to travel within a train station without actually going on a train? For context:

>Travel to Akihabara Station.
>Use the Showa-Dori exit to get to Yodobashi Camera easily.
>Go back into the station.
>Use the Electric Town exit to get easily into the heart of Akiba.

I've been in Japan before and I remember there were problems with my Suica card after entering/leaving a station without going on a journey. Is it not good to do this?
>>
>>1291634
>Yes, courses taught in English are quite simple because they have to cater for Japanese students as well as foreign students who can't speak English too well.
This makes me so happy
>>
>>1291727
yeah that's fine, the exits are outside of the paid zone.
>>
File: Onsen-10.jpg (309KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Onsen-10.jpg
309KB, 1280x853px
What's the average price for a night at an Onsen?
I'm looking at one near Niigata city and it goes for $240 aprox...
>>
First time going to japan here. I'm going for two weeks, staying in Tokyo.
Is a one day trip to Kyoto viable? Like taking a train early in the morning and then returning by afternoon/night. Or will I be too tight with the time and rushing like crazy?What do you guys absolutely recommend to see there?
Sorry it the question sounds dumb, its my first time doing a trip like this.
Also is in good manners to say "itadakimasu" before eating or will I sound too much like a baka gaijin.
>>
>>1291784
Not sure about the rest, but

>Also is in good manners to say "itadakimasu" before eating or will I sound too much like a baka gaijin.

Only if you're with native Japanese people doing the same or with a host family. If it's just you or you with a group of gaijins, it's unnecessary.
>>
>>1291702
Any Mexican or Hispanic food in the downtown/metro area?

Are the beaches any good or are they shit?
>>
Is it weird to ask "osusume wa nan desu ka" at a ramen joint or will they understand that my dirty clueless gaijin self doesn't have the slightest idea which bowl of ramen is the specialty at this particular hole in the wall?
>>
>>1291702
how 2 smash yellow pussy?
>>
>>1291702
what do you recommend visit/do on hokkaido?
>>
>>1291667
Thanks. I forgot to say I'm going to try and get tickets for the Iyonada Monogatari as well.
>>
>>1291839
Everyone does it, you're fine.
>>
>>1291840
>>1291638
>>1291267
>>1290905
>>1290275
What is your deal?
>>
File: DHLPaqJVwAILAdu.jpg:large.jpg (270KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
DHLPaqJVwAILAdu.jpg:large.jpg
270KB, 1152x2048px
>what to do with your 1 yen coins after travel
>>
>>1288913
I didn't need pocket wi-fi but that's because I'm bit of a stinge with money, McDonalds, Family Marts (some) and Lawsons all have free wi-fi so I just used those since one of them can be found on every street.

I saw a few gardens and my favourite would be Hibiya Park, it's got some great little places in there, a restaurant, a soundstage where live music is played a few times a week and it's also where some events are held. Ueno park is cool too, LOTS to see, even has a zoo.

I was in Tokyo for 12 days and it still wasn't enough to see everything I wanted. I stayed in a hotel purely because I like my solitude and privacy. AirBnB though is fine and legal as far as I know
>>
>>1291839
The worst that will happen is that they'll answer in Japanese. Talking in Japanese when you don't actually know it can be a trap since people will assume that you do, it happened a lot to one of my friends when we went there. If you don't mind being adventurous, looking at the menu at then just assertively saying "Osusume kudasai" never failed me once. (Although that won't really work at most ramen joints since you tend to order from the ticket machine at the entrance when it comes to those)
>>
>>1292019
I should do something like that, i have what must be over 100 1 yen coins sitting in my drawer. I do find them funny though, they represent the Japanese obcession with politeness very well, they'll give you the exact change every time, even if it means giving it to you in a almost comically useless and more often than not bothersome coin.
>>
File: 1492233219697.jpg (87KB, 640x920px) Image search: [Google]
1492233219697.jpg
87KB, 640x920px
Is it possible to attend a touge while traveling in nippon?
>>
>>1292079
Like, literally? Yeah, they're all public access roads on mountains. You just drive on them.

Initial D is based on real mountains, for the most part, which I don't know off the top of my head but google will tell you. They all are in Gunma.

You'll need to make connections and network if you want to hoon around like shaky VHS handycam vids from the 90s, though.
>>
>>1292019
>>1292056
you're supposed to use the small coins to get close to what you are paying for at restaurants or supermarkets. Like if you're bill is 6577 Yen, it's normal to hand in like 10007 yen to break it better
>>
>booked a flight with no specific itinerary and before I got into contact with a host family and making it by on a poverty budget

is this the redpilled way to travel
>>
>>1292114
no it's the missing 50% of interesting shit because you haven't looked it up way to travel
>>
Whats a recommended amount of money I'd need to live in Tokyo for 3 months comfortably?
>>
Need some ideas for a first date in tokyo, because girls here are boring assholes and want the gaijin with very little idea of what's good to pick the destination.
>>
>>1292134
Meiji Castle
Tokyo Tower
Mount Fuji
>>
>>1291705
i think 1 year is long enough. had a quick browse of this thread and it sseems most people havnt been to Japan.
>>1291709
if your somewhat attractive, dressed nicely, and genki (dont try to play it cool, just be super happy), approaching girls at bars is easy. hopefully you can meet one who speaks some english. tinder isnt altogether useless tho.
>>1291793
i think theres about 3 mexican restaurants in the tanooki koji area. im sure there are more to be found. the beaches are good chilled out places, maybe not spectacularly beautiful, but still nice places to visit. i'd way more recommend the mountains (sapporo has some beautiful scenery).
>>1291840
be genki, well dressed, speak some japanese, and have a decent body. girls arent as easy as some forums will have you think. its easy to make friends with a bunch of girls, but pulling is trickier (especailly one night stands). having said that, if you set your standards back a bit and arent opposed to some of the older chicks, your likely to score. (imo)
>>1291881
check out tanooki koji, visit jozankei, go to gateaux kingdom, stay at pharaohs love hotel, climb maruyama moutain (and visit the park), check out some hostess bars in susokino, go to lots and lots of bars. if poss rent a car and go visit some of the surrounding wilderness.
>>
>>1292149

>be genki, well dressed, speak some japanese, and have a decent body. girls arent as easy as some forums will have you think. its easy to make friends with a bunch of girls, but pulling is trickier (especailly one night stands). having said that, if you set your standards back a bit and arent opposed to some of the older chicks, your likely to score. (imo)

should add, if you have a wingman who speaks both english and japanese its much easier. and also if you hang out around the seedier parts of the city (ie: susokino.) if you really want to pull either find a hooker, or go to one of the bars in susokino where you pay alot of money to get in and drink, and girls pay nothing but are obliged to sit and talk to you. you can tell the host to bring you some new girls if the ones who are bought over to you dont interest you. (and just to be clear, these are normal girls, they don't work there).
>>
Its a day trip from Tokyo to Himeji a good idea? or will 8 hours in a train to see the castle for a couple of hours be too much
>>
>>1292157
Sounds dumb tee bee ayche. Better to stay in Osaka for a few days and catch an hour long train ride instead.
>>
>>1292153
>or go to one of the bars in susokino where you pay alot of money to get in and drink, and girls pay nothing but are obliged to sit and talk to you

Any experience with places like these? I've spent a fair amount of time in Japan but I've never considered something like this.
>>
>>1292157
The castle is pretty, but inside is kinda boring (it's empty).
It's worth a visit if you're in Himeji, but I wouldn't go just for that.
Personnaly, I reached Himeji by the end of the day, spent a night, then went to Mt Shosha and Himeji castle.
After that, I moved on to my next destination (Osaka).
>>
>>1292168
>>1292189
Thanks, I think I'll pass then.
>>
>>1292189
Not sure when last you went, but when I was there in April they had a lot of translated stuff in the Senhime wing going over the history of the castle, amd in the main floor of the castle itself they had a giant model showing the underlying wooden frame of the structure. Was pretty neat.

Though it is a pretty terrible idea to spend that much time on the train from Tokyo just to see it. If you're spending 4-5 days in Kansai it makes a good half-day trip, but Tokyo is too far.
>>
>>1292209
Boring was a little harsh, it does have some nice stuff and trivia now that I think about it.
I think I expected a little more for the inside of the castle though.
>>
>>1292174
i've only been once so dont have much experience. the girls who come and sit on your table know what they are in for so are naturally genki, and making the most of it. i ended up taking home the first girl who came to our table. i kind've regretted it afterwards since the sex was bad, and once the beer goggles wore off (as well as the makeup), i realized she really wasnt that pretty. i'd recommend it nonetheless, as me and my friend enjoyed it, it wasnt THAT expensive (about 5000 yen for an hour [split between us]) and there were plemnty of girls there. my main regret is that i settled on the first girls who came to our table.

i'd recommend just going to normal bars and meeting girls though. its really easy. but like i said, trying to meet one night stands is a bit trickier. if your in it for the long game, and are a bit patient, i think you can do well here.
>>
>>1292127
100k a month for poverty
>>
I'm going to stay in Tokyo for 10 days. Do i really need the JR Pass or not?. I don't plan to visit another city.
>>
>>1292311
No. Just use any JR pass calculator to check it.
>>
New bread >>1292337
>>
>>1292311
If you're just staying in Tokyo then it most likely isn't worth it
>>
>>1292231
How are those bars called?
>>
>>1288526
https://youtu.be/aUtMwC2kHvw
>>
>paying for sex in japan

Don't care whether its a prostitute or a bar where you pay to meet girls, you sad as fuck.

How can you not into tinder?
>>
>>1292311
Choose anything you want.
https://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/eng/tickets/value.html
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.