[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 26

File: Imperial-Palace1[1].jpg (199KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial-Palace1[1].jpg
199KB, 700x525px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution. Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese. What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1246949
>>
how the fuck do I get laid in this country without buying a hooker
>>
First for Kyoto sucks.
>>
>>1251268
Seriously, it's not rocket science. You go up to a girl stare at them with autistic longing, then gently whisper "wanna see my self assessed N1 Japanese abilities?"
>>
I've got my TEFL and just started applying for jobs. However (for a man) I have very long hair that I would rather keep while in England.

Is long hair looked down on much? And if so how would I go about suggesting that I would be happy to cut it short before going abroad? I thought about adding it as a note to a cover letter, but this seems like a very impolite move.
>>
Can't wait to be out of Tokyo tomorrow
>>
>>1251318
whata heck dude!? I'd be jumping out of joy if I was in Tokyo right now
>>
>>1251319
Guess I'm not a city person
Its just not a fun place for me at all
>>
>>1251320
I demand you to trade places with me right now!! You come here to the middle of nowhere and I'll go to Tokyo. I'm sick of the country side and would just love to get lost in urban jungle so PLZ
>>
>>1251321
Why do you like it so much what do you even do here
>>
>>1251322
It's a metropolis dude. I love big cities. Skyscrapers, side streets, cool places, it's just awesome
>>
>>1251322
well? trade? deal?
>>
is ¥3500 a day for food realistic?
>>
>>1251304
Cut ur hair faget
>>
>>1251334
Depends how well you wanna eat
You can live out of family Mart for half that
Two decent meals a day, something small for breakfast and a few drinks and you'll still he well within budget
Nonetheless your money will inexplicably disappear faster than that. It's the magic of travel.
>>
Should I get travel insurance? It seems like an unnecessary way to spend £50
>>
how serious are they about 90-day visas? i can find a better deal on flights with a 92-day stay than 88
>>
>>1251304
Just cut your damn hair m8.
>>
>>1251341
Really want to know this as well.
>>
>>1251240
>>1251268

Have you tried not being ugly? Did you honestly expect your white skin to be a one way ticket to sideways pussy?
>>
Are the Japanese friendly towards Mexicans?
Planning on visit the island in a couple of months for a couple weeks.

Any basic survival tips for foreigners?
>>
File: face.png (1MB, 1117x1078px) Image search: [Google]
face.png
1MB, 1117x1078px
So when I went to Japan I once put a clear plastic umbrella in the holder outside of a convenience store but forgot which of the 10 identical ones was mine so I just took a random one. Is that okay? Or did I really fuck up some jap folk's day?
>>
>>1251362
My friend is a second generation Mexican who brought 15 bottles of hot sauce to get him through his 3 week stay in Japan. He wasn't really treated any worse but he always carried around a big camera so they knew he was a tourist and not an immigrant. The only bit of a racism we saw was when a restaurant was shooting a commercial they asked if we wanted to be in it and then the camera proceeded to do everything it could to get me (white), but not him, in the shot.
>>
>have 10hrs in Japan on a layover at haneda airport
what should i try to see while I'm there?

should i take a cab to get into the city from the airport and getting around? I'd take public transit, but afraid of getting lost or something
>>
>>1251371
Just use Hyperdia. Tokyo's train system is much cheaper than the cabs and much quicker and more reliable.

>>1251268
If have no game in your home country, being in Japan does not magically change that.
>>
is there a basic /trv/ guide to teaching english in Japan somewhere? requirements, advice, what its like, etc
it seems like something that would be in the sticky because of how often people ask about it
>>
>>1251256
if i already have passive income, enough to get an apartment and all that, how feasible would it be to show up, rent and apartment, then look for maybe 2-3 hours of part time english teaching a day? I would just need a little bit more than I can already get to make ends meet in Japan, but I think I might run into issues with visas and stuff.

I've considered taking Japanese lessons while I'm there for the visa but I guess I would rather just work a few hours and make extra money instead of spending it.

Also how long does it take to get internet set up and how good is it? I've heard it's amazing in Tokyo, but what about Osaka...Fukuoka...etc?
>>
File: yuuko-rain.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
yuuko-rain.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>1251366
Ya dun fucked up.
>>
>>1251381
As of right now, all you need is an accredited Bachelor's degree, doesn't matter what field it's in. Decide whether you want to teach as an ALT or teach in an Eikaiwa. It's just a google search away. What it's like all depends on where your company puts you. You'd have a vastly different experience from teaching in a large city vs. a village in bumfuck nowhere.
>>
>>1251387
>As of right now, all you need is an accredited Bachelor's degree,
wait are you sure?
I've done a quick search and almost every website said I am supposed to get some certificate like tefl or certa or something like that
>>
I'm heading there for the first time in September for 3 months, travel and accommodation aside I have 6300 yen per day will that be enough?
>>
>>1251390
It won't hurt your chances.
>>
File: 1494867881075.jpg (3MB, 4751x3167px) Image search: [Google]
1494867881075.jpg
3MB, 4751x3167px
Do I really need to invest in travel insurance if Im from the UK and will be in Japan for 2 weeks
>>
File: 1140272558257.gif (615KB, 200x117px) Image search: [Google]
1140272558257.gif
615KB, 200x117px
how do i suit up for the clubs while not packing a ton of shit?
>>
>>1251435
Buy clothes when you get there
>>
>>1251268
if you're desperate/stupid enough to ask, there is no way. just pay the ~27k yen

>>1251334
I did with way less than that, like 1k yen/day. On one hand I only ate one meal a day, on the other hand I only ate vegan/macrobiotic stuff, which is more expensive.
Booze cost me like 0.5k yen/day
>>
>>1251390
I just have a Bachelor's degree and no teaching experience, and I'll be going to teach English at the end of the summer. All you need is a degree.
>>
File: IMG_3847.jpg (356KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3847.jpg
356KB, 800x1200px
Onomichi best city
>>
Day 3 of Japan and it still sucks
>>
File: YVROSA.jpg (34KB, 1486x140px) Image search: [Google]
YVROSA.jpg
34KB, 1486x140px
THEYARESOCHEAP
>>
>>1251497
t. uggo.
>>
Any of you guys have experience buying tickets for soccer and baseball games?
>>
>>1251497
someone meet up with this anon and give him a hug
>>
>>1251517
Does being ugly really change the experience I didn't come here to get sex
>>
>>1251450
>>1251387
do they accept european degrees? I'm still an american with native english skills, just an expat in Germany
>>
This is my second trip to Japan and I have a 21-day JR pass. I've been to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, and Hiroshima, so I'm trying to see some of the less well known areas. I'm also planning on going out to bars/clubs whenever I can. As for activities during the day, I'm mostly looking to hike and sight see.

Should I cut out half of this stuff so I'm not moving around so much?

Here is my initial itinerary:

* 6/4 - arrive in Haneda, train to Hakodate, sleep in Hakodate
* 6/5 - Go to Asahikawa Zoo, take train to wakkanai and sleep there
* 6/6 - Climb Rishiri and sleep in Wakkanai
* 6/7 - Train to Sapporo and spend the night in sapporo
* 6/8 - Dai-Ichi Takimotokan in the morning, train to Hakodate, sleep in hakodate (go out)
* 6/9 - Hakodate to Miyako, Jodogahama Beach, stay in Miyako, go out
* 6/10 - Miyako to Sendai, explore Sendai, go out
* 6/11 - Extra day in Sendai
* 6/12 - Sendai to Niigata, spend night in Niigata
* 6/13 - Niigata to Kanazawa, spend night in Kanazawa
* 6/14 - Free day in Kanazawa, spend night in Kanazawa
* 6/15 - Train to Nagoya, go out in Nagoya
* 6/16 - Day trip around Nagoya, go out in Nagoya
* 6/17 - Head to Osaka, go out in Osaka
* 6/18 - Head to Okayama, spend night in Okayama
* 6/19 - Head to Oboke, Spend night in Oboke
* 6/20 - Happyraft, stay in Oboke
* 6/21 - Head to Tokyo, sleep in Tokyo
* 6/22 - Tokyo
* 6/23 - Tokyo
* 6/24 - Tokyo
* 6/25 - Leave
>>
Probably been asked a hundred times but what's it like travelling alone? Is it like that Bill Murray movie?
>>
>>1251341
>>1251358
Also wondering this. Japan seems super safe, but shit you never know when earthquake-tsunami land wants to wake up and fuck your shit.
>>
>>1251552
If you're a middle aged man staying in fancy hotels, then yeah. If you're a 20-something staying in hostels and trying to meet people, then it will be different.

It depends on a billion factors. I've had places where I went and met tons of new people, others where I wanted to be alone and didn't meet anyone. You can do pretty much whatever you want and it will just depend on how you approach it.
>>
>>1251426
Yes, not having travel insurance for any trip is dumb
>>
>>1251387
If you aren't a native speaker but you can teach English and know japanese, will they still accept you even though English isn't your first language?
>>
Hey guys I would really appreciate help on this.

I'm currently waiting for my visa to be transferred over to a work visa, but was an idiot today and decided to buy a bike because it was a good deal. I didn't realize until after everything was done I needed to register it with the police. Am I fucked?
>>
Are there any unspoken rules about jerking off in hostels I'm feeling frustrated and getting relief another way is out of the question
>>
>>1251597
Yeah, they only choose native English speakers. Shit out of luck there.
>>1251537
I'm not sure about Euro degrees.
>>
>>1251667
Um... do it in the toilet? It's not fucking rocket science.
>>
>>1251426
Never. Insurance basically is paying for keeping fear away. Have no fear. Come back more alive.

You will heal up before you take the flight back home anyway.

Deadly pandemic? Sure... insurance covers that. Lol.
>>
>>1251602
Only if you do piss off an officer. Straight behaviour makes officers happy. That being said I do believe idle teams of officers do got nothing to do but making sure forigners aren't too unchecked if they seem to be living there. Forigners are checked up on mostly to make sure they're not illegal immigrants.

You don't know anything about bike registration.. If they do give a warning it's best to follow suit. Police in japan got like 90% conviction rate.

Lol. Bike registration (tax revenue) my ass.
>>
Just booked a hostel for next weekend in Kyoto, first time staying in one. Do I get assigned a bed or do I just pick an empty bed?
>>
>>1251539
wish i'd taken more time to be in hakodate last year. its so laid back, the trams are nice, the onsens are lovely, the fish market is the best way to have a walking breakfast. pick up a bottle of bears guarana while you're there and drink it for me. back in japan week after next and pretty much having two laid back weeks around kyoto and osaka just bumming around and eating lovely things with my wife.
>>
>>1251602
>>1251710
I've heard of people who weren't doing anything wrong get stopped by the police and taken in because they didn't have their bike registration on them. I rode my bike pretty much every day and never once got stopped by the police, but I always carried my registration with me just in case. It's up to you if you want to run that risk.

You can get that sheet filled out at the shop you bought your bike at. I'm surprised they didn't do it for you.
>>
File: cute-sushi.gif (23KB, 80x197px) Image search: [Google]
cute-sushi.gif
23KB, 80x197px
From what i've been seeing on Hostelworld and form people who have been, the hostels seem to be of pretty high quality in Japan. The prices seem good too. Can anyone confirm this? Or give any experiences on staying in hostels there?
>>
My grammar is atrocious. Is it a problem if I just say a string of words like "[destination] go where?" or use incorrect tenses or wrong particles or such? Will I be understood?

Also, any cool shit in northern Honshu to see?

>>1251701

I generally agree with you, but if I say get hit by a car, can I go to a hospital in japan without travel insurance? It's maybe a 5% chance given my itinerary.
>>
>>1251701
>>1251593
Which one do I believe?
>>
>>1251672
Jokes on you, hes an aerospace engineer
>>
>>1251748
They aren't that much different or better than other places really. If anything they are more expensive and more like a hotel than a hostel. There are a lot of hostels there that are word of mouth, and kind of hard to find online. Just go inside and ask about prices if you see one on the street, some of the best ones are kind of tucked away.

I found them less social than hostels in other countries too, most of the backpackers in Japan have set itineraries and they aren't really lounging around trying to make friends.
>>
Wallet was stolen in Kyoto can anyone tell me where I can make a call to my bank overseas

Haven't considered suicide this strongly in a long time
>>
>>1251924
If your bank is halfway decent they'll have a toll-free number you can call. Do that.

If they don't have a toll-free number, call collect from your hostel or hotel. Or go to your consulate/embassy and call collect from there.
>>
>>1251669
So even if you know English at a level which is almost the same as a native AND if you know Japanese at a basic level at least they will still choose a native even though he might not know Japanese? If so that is ridiculous and my plans have been somewhat crushed
>>
>>1251944
Honestly I'd just try to lie and say I'm a native English speaker if I were you
>>
File: DSCI0275.jpg (2MB, 2864x2144px) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0275.jpg
2MB, 2864x2144px
Planing to do a two week trip to southern Japan in September.

I have seen most of Kanto and Kansai, Touhoku and Hokkaido. But I have never been on Shikoku and Kyushu.
So yeah time to change that. I will buy a JR Pass so travel should go smoothly but the main question is:
What is/are some good nature/features/sights/museums/onsens/food/temples/shrines/general-must-sees on those two islands?

Anything else I should keep in mind while being there?
>>
>>1251426
Yes...it coast like 10€ (at least in Germany) and saved a friend of mine which was with me in 2016 some 200€ for visiting a doctor because he got a tendon rupture.

Shit can happen even if you keep yourself safe
>>
>>1251952
I dunno man, like my accent is pretty close to a native speaker but sometimes I slip up a bit and also since I'm not from an English speaking country they would see that and then it would be even harder for me to lie. Perhaps if I lived for a bit on England for example,would they accept me then?
>>
>>1251954
Fukuoka is wonderful for food. Hakata ramen, motsu nabe, and mentaiko are all worth getting. It's an up and coming city that's not too large that you can't explore within a few days, but modern enough that you'll have everything you need. Lots of young people are moving there since it's cheaper than Tokyo/Osaka. My favorite place in Japan that can often be overlooked.
>>
>>1251960
No idea, I have no experience with trying to work in Japan, just throwing out what I might do.

You could say your parents are native English speakers who moved to a non-English country and raised you there. That would explain your accent and bilingual abilities while at the same time it shows you were raised in an English speaking environment. People's dominant accents are those of their peers growing up, not from their parents.
>>
>>1251960
Just say your mum is english or something
>>
File: img_0.jpg (98KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
img_0.jpg
98KB, 640x480px
Got my working holiday visa approved and I'm moving to Kyoto in August.

I want to do a lot of bicycle touring, but it sounds like the first month I won't be able to do anything due to the extreme heat. Does anyone have any experience?
>>
>>1252002
>>1251995
So I did some searching and it seems that they will accept you if are non-native but only if you have a bachelor's degree and if you have 10 years of education with English or something along the lines of that. So pretty much it is possible but it will be quite the challenge to do so
>>
japan no want dirty pig yankee
gaijin not allowed in japan
>>
>>1251954
Huis-ten Bosch is a pretty neat place. Basically a theme park where they put a Dutch town and palace in Japan.

I enjoyed the Gunkanjima boat tour out of Nagasaki, just be aware that they do pack a lot of people on the boats and there's very little of the island open for walking. The best views were from the boat.

I really enjoyed Nagasaki in general. Large variety of food, night views of the city from Mt Inasa are beautiful, and there's a lot of historic places around the city giving a look at it's heritage as both an industrial center and Japan's primary port for foreign trade.
>>
In a little more than a month, I'm going to be moving to Fussa for 18 months.
I know next to nothing about Japan, but really would love to experience Japanese culture outside of Tokyo.

I'm a pretty outdoorsy guy with a insatiable desire for adventure.
Where should I go? What should I check out?
>>
>>1251352
>how serious is a notoriously immigration-protective country about their immigration laws

yeah not at all mate, may as well stay 100 days
>>
File: 1461547216251.jpg (79KB, 1031x580px) Image search: [Google]
1461547216251.jpg
79KB, 1031x580px
>watch flying witch last year
>offhandedly think "hey, this show is pretty cute. i bet living somewhere like this would be comfy"
>jet program places me in aomori

i-i didn't actually want this. i thought i was finally going to get away from the cold and be able to live around other young people before i'm like 30, or at least in a place that makes doing both easy.

oh well, still gonna try to enjoy it and save some money. anyone been there? cool stuff to do? how'd you like it?
>>
I'm in Tokyo for two weeks. Is it better to stay in a hotel or to search something with Airbnb? Someone with experience?
>>
>>1251304
Ever consider cutting that greasy mop like an adult?
>>
>>1252010
everyone needs a bachelor's degree, regardless of whether or not you're a native english speaker

and whether or not they prefer experience depends on where you're applying. many prefer that you have no experience so they can "mold" you into their curriculum, so to speak.
>>
How seamless is the connection between Yokohama and Tokyo? Would it be possible to live there and take a few day trips into tokyo?

Also how about Kanagawa prefecture? I'm interested in an area that might be suburban and quiet with affordable housing where I could get into Tokyo for weekends if I needed too. I've Saitama is good for that, but I've had experiences where I'm a short distance from a city but it takes me 4 hours to get there. I'm wondering if there are any areas that offer a short commute that are affordable and quiet.

Also, anyone know of any Japanese language schools in less famous locations?
>>
>>1252115

Aomori is where Fri-ingu Wichi is at? COMFY
I'll be cycling through. Gonna pick mountain vegetables. Living with young people is overrated. My city is young; everything is expensive and it's just full of normie shit like clubbing. You can't even get a partner easily because there is too much competition, which gives a mindset of trying everything out and traipsing around the carousel. People gain unrealistic expectations. When living in small communities, it's easier to find a partner as they know they don't have much choice. Sorry to sound like an unattractive bv; I'm not, but it is my observation that this is true.

You will be the big fish in a small pond if you live in a smaller town. Only downside is the people tend to be boring (but wholesome.)

I want a job delivering sake on a bicycle.
>>
So, myself and a couple of buddies are thinking about a two week or so trip sometime next winter. Thing is, one of them is allergic to fish (not shellfish, but fish oil or something). Is he just fucked?
>>
>>1252152
No, there is enough non-fish food in Japan.
>>
>>1251341
You might not get malaria but you might get hit by a car or break your leg climbing a mountain. I'd say go for it.
>>
>>1252138
Seems like there are a lot of different answers to finding a job as an English teacher as a non-native because there was a similar thread on /v/ and they said it would be quite difficult for a non native to find a job without experience.

Pretty much from what I Gathered, if a non native wants to teach English in Japan he can do it but it will be a bit more difficult than a native. If I'm wrong then, somebody please correct me
>>
Is it convenient for an non-Japanese speaker to order a taxi in a smaller town?

I have an AirBNB booked in Minamiuonuma and it's about an hour walk from Urasa station. Google maps doesn't seem to be aware of any existing bus lines in the city and I don't feel like walking that much with my luggage and camping gear for the festival I'm going to the next morning.
>>
>>1252115
I'll be in Iwate, so we'll be neighbors.

I'm actually looking forward to the comfy cold weather. People who got Tokyo placements get completely drained, having to put almost half of their paycheck into rent and various other expenses, just to live there.

That being said I don't really know what it's going to be like, I'm just trying to be positive.
>>
>>1252215
Living in the middle of nowhere has its own expenses. Winter too.
>>
Anyone here going to be in Tokyo around mid September who knows the city? Travelling solo and would be good to meet up with somebody who knows the place well
>>
>>1252214
Helps to know left, right, forward, and to have the address written down to where they can read it
>>
>>1251899
This is something is like help with. I'm going to stay for a couple of months, but I'm not naturally sociable. What living arrangement is best for meeting people and making friends?
>>
>>1252209
japanese prefer to hire native english speakers
some will require that you prove citizenship from an english-speaking country or take a proficiency test

that's all there is to it

stop making it so fucking complicated, why the fuck are you asking different 4chan boards? if the answers you get here aren't satisfying then look it up ffs
>>
>>1252248
A lot of people get sharehouses, they might be cheaper than a hostel and you would share a kitchen and living room with 4-8 other people.

Japan is a fairly anti social country though, just letting you know. The people are very polite but not outgoing. You know what city you are going to?

Even though the travelers there are kind of aloof if you hang out in the lobby of a hostel anywhere you will meet people, that's the best thing to do.
>>
Going to Japan for 15 days in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. I really wanted to try baseball on rooftop at night. Is it cheap and is it really interesting to try (european faggot who has almost never played baseball) ? In which city should I try this ?
>>
>>1252225
Yeah and travel is insane. There's positives and negatives to everything
>>
File: hamada.gif (2MB, 216x155px) Image search: [Google]
hamada.gif
2MB, 216x155px
welp my student visa is being processed and I'm waiting for approval. How do you guys handle the anxiety of having to wait? It's killing me
>>
>>1251960
If you have near-native English abilities (and preferably can show some kind of certification), you can still be hired even if you're not a native speaker.
>>
>>1251954
If you want nice, relaxing onsen, I recommend Kurokawa or Yufuin.
>>
My mom wants me to get her a robe when I go in a few weeks.

Any tips for buying robes in nipponland?
>>
>>1252284
Any particular reason reason you think you may not be approved?
>>
>>1252295
I don't really have any doubts, the woman that I interviewed with said that almost every applicant from the US is approved, aside from some rare cases. I think I'm just to excited so I'm afraid that something will go wrong and ruin everything that I've done so far.
>>
>>1252294
amazon.com, with prime you get faster delivery too
>>
>>1252294
What, you mean like a bathrobe? A silk robe? A yukata? A kimono? A happi? A hanten?
>>
>>1251435
>going to clubs
lol fag
>>
Anyone know how long it takes to post a letter within Japan? like from Kyoto to Tokyo? Can't find any info online except for international post, I kinda imagine the Jap postal system is super efficient though
>>
>>1252321
Usually just one or two days.
>>
>>1252322
Does it run on weekends?

Also unrelated question, but I noticed often in Tokyo in trains they would put the reason for a delay as "Passenger Injury". I'm guessing that's a euphemism for someone committing sudoku?
>>
>>1252326
Yes, mail is still delivered on weekends.

>"Passenger Injury"
It could be as you say, yes.
>>
>>1251341
it's worth getting for the medical coverage. You don't want to be stuck footing a $100,000 bill because you were in a car accident and needed an airlift and surgery.
>>
>>1252330
What are they supposed to if you can't pay?
Lock you in the hospital until your family can cough it up?
>>
>>1252337
actually in some places they do this, and sometimes people die. it's the real world, not the sales pitch version.
>>
>>1252337
I don't know about Japan, but in the US they will turn your debt over to a collection agency and if you don't pay then your credit score will tank. And if you still don't pay, they might repossess some of your assets or take you to court, which will probably order you to pay.
>>
>>1252151
That's a good point. I've never really *lived* in a big city and visiting one for new years etc made one night stands easy but not really much else I guess. I'm sure that "what if" will still exist but everyone can't experience everything I suppose.

Anyway good luck on your trip. Sounds like it'll be a good time!

>>1252215
Nice, where are you coming from?
>>
>>1252256
It isn't that the answers aren't satisfying it's just that I wanted to know the opinions of different people so I could make an assumption. I have also searched in other websites about this topic and I have come to a conclusion so I won't be making this even more complicated than it is, I'm sorry if I have pissed you off
>>
>>1252277
i'm going to tokyo, leaning towards a sharehouse. i know japanese are fairly private, but everyone likes new friends! can i just chill out in any hotel lobby even if 'm not getting a room?
>>
>>1252318
if i could pick up hotties at coco's curry and the arcades i'd just go with what i know
>>
>>1251955
I'm from Germany, got AOK as my insurance. Where do I get that?
I think I already have it in my flight since I booked usign expedia and there was some shit about insurance or so... but, yeah.
>>
>>1252010
>>1252010
>10 years of education with english
Jesus Christ, dude, I'm from Germany and had English 9 years starting from 5th grade. Studying bachelor takes, what, two years? That'd be 11 already. Don't be a fucking bitch, nigger.
>>
>>1252374
Are you seriously traveling just to bother people?
>>
>>1252312
Some kind of silk robe, nothing formal like a kimono or a yukata. Probably something with a more casual geometric design than flowery super Jap stuff.
>>
>>1252423
Just go to any department store, I guess. But those aren't really all that common in Japan.
>>
>>1252386
I am also insured via AOK and just got their travel insurance for 9.50€ a year, first year is even free.
>>
I've been offered a job by Borderlink starting in April 2018 as an ALT.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
GlassDoor reviews seem to be bad, but that's the case with most jobs on there as people just want to vent.

Beyond that, their lowest pay is 215k JPY per month, is this enough to live on in most areas?
>>
I Just got my associates degree and will complete my bachelors degree. Does anyone teach English in Japan ? I might consider learning Japanese in the next two years so I can teach it there.
>>
>>1252439
Teach English that I don't sorry if that was wordedpoorly. I'm dead tired
>>
>>1252438
Hey m8, ESLfag in Japan here.

I would say absolutely do *not* take this job. And for April 2018? They expect you to wait around a year for that? You could get hired by a better place and

215k is pretty pathetically bad . Where exactly? I'm sure they haven't told you yet. It's enough for the absolute boonies, but any more urban area it's not really a living wage.

As a rule of thumb I would say don't accept any ESL job in Japan that does not pay at least 250k.

You have other options. Have you looked into any other options or had any other interviews?
>>
>>1252439

Same guy who wrote this. >>1252444

You don't need to know Japanese to teach English in Japan although I wholeheartedly support you learning Japanese in the next two years if you really plan to come here to live.
>>
>>1252438
It all depends. If you live in a bigger city like Tokyo or Osaka, it won't leave you with much spending money. If you live in the boonies where rent is cheap, you'll be better off.

>>1252439
I taught there for two years. Any questions? Knowing Japanese isn't required, but will make your life a lot easier and more enjoyable if you do.
>>
>>1252444
Cheers for the heads up.

Yeah, no location yet.
I'm currently spam applying through Gaijinpot.
JCareer have asked for more info but haven't got back to me yet beyond that (it's only been 2 days).

At the moment I'm slow-burning some beginner Japanese through Memrise and Duolingo, but I'm gonna jump in with some actual coursebooks once a job seems to be coming around. I don't know if I plan on staying in Japan yet.
My plan is to work 9 months and see how I feel. If I enjoy myself I could possibly stay, if not I can finish my contract and hop somewhere else to teach for a year, now with a year's experience to advertise, if I enjoy the work.

Anyway, thanks for the info. i'll probably politely decline the offer.
>>
>>1252446
hey how hard would it be to go there and get an apartment without a job, then find a part time job where i teach like 1-2 hours a day for visa purposes?

also is the internet in japan fast countrywide or just in urban areas?
>>
How does one even teach English to kids if you can't speak Japanese? Seems like the blind leading the blind.
>>
>>1252448
>I'm currently spam applying through Gaijinpot.
If you're not already in Japan with a visa GaijinPot is going to be pretty futile.

Look into JET and ECC.

>>1252449
I'm the other guy not the guy you asked this directly but--

>hey how hard would it be to go there and get an apartment without a job, then find a part time job where i teach like 1-2 hours a day for visa purposes?

Like almost impossible. You won't be able to find a legit apartment but you could live in like a sharehouse and look for work if you're on a working holiday visa. You won't get visa sponsorship for part time work man.
>>
>>1252466
How do you teach babies and toddlers and shit their own native language? You sure as shit don't explain grammar to them.
>>
>>1252470
Babies brains have the innate ability to learn language. They aren't taught language. And I agree, teaching Japanese kids English in English is fucking stupid and probably the reason they suck so bad in it.
>>
>>1252469
>Like almost impossible.
hmm, well then I might stay there for about six months and just work online, I think I could make the visa run one time, and then when my next tourist visa expired I would just head somewhere else.

Thanks for the heads up, I was actually pretty close to giving that a shot. I'll look into short term rentals instead before I go.
>>
>>1252481
Sorry man, life isn't anime.
>>
>>1252449
Yea what >>1252469 said is true. Get a job beforehand and then find the apartment.

I lived in the boonies and internet was actually really good. You won't have problems with speed that's for sure.

>>1252466
You introduce simple words through games and songs. Reward the ones who do well and you'll see them jumping at the opportunity to embrace the language.
>>
>>1252355
I'm from Nashville so I'll be leaving with group B.
>>
>>1252390
i also intend to go into houses at random. once inside, i'll break all their pots and see if there's rupees inside
>>
Heading to Tokyo in August with a mate, I hear the heat is oppressive as fuck so we're going to head to Aomori if the heat gets too much, what are some things to do in Aomori? I can't seem to find much good info about the place
>>
>>1252476
Nah m8 they suck at it because they're "taught" English by Japanese English public school teachers who can't actually speak English.

How many times have you heard some foreigner be like yeah I just watched spongebob when I was a kid and played Counterstrike online and thats how I learned English. If you havent its like everyone on /int/.

Teaching English in English very very possible. These are young kids learning basic things from visual and contextual clues and then building off it.

Shits not rocket science.
>>
Any experiences with meido cafes? Worth it for the novelty?
>>
File: burdbath.gif (860KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
burdbath.gif
860KB, 250x250px
Hello I am from the UK and just got 71,000 JPY from the bank and lost £30 due to fees. Are the ATMs in Japan the best way to change currencies ?
>>
>>1252519
Bumping to find this out as well.
>>
>>1252370
its not an "opinion"
how is any of that "opinion"?
you NEED a bachelor's degree. that is a fact. whether or not you need experience depends on the program you're with and the school you're applying for. nothing you asked involved any opinion
>>
>>1252518
They're awkward as fuck and too expensive for what you get. That said, yeah worth the novelty.
>>
Is it worth traveling all the way to Hiroshima just to try the food there?
>>
>>1252482
yeah, i've been to japan anymore but thanks for shitting up the thread with the usual banter.
>>1252485
>I lived in the boonies and internet was actually really good. You won't have problems with speed that's for sure.

good internet speed is all i'll really be needing so that's good to hear
>>
>>1252578
>anymore
*before
>>
I hope to travel to Japan at the end of this year or early next year. What's a good website to find Japanese people who I can befriend? I would like to have a practice partner and people who I can visit or meet up with when I travel to Japan.
>>
>>1252595
meetup
>>
>>1252577
Yes. Hiroshima has amazing okonomiyaki, and that's coming from someone who usually hates okonomiyaki.

Of course there are other things to do there like see the Peace Park and visit Miyajima, but the food is fantastic.
>>
>>1251503
mate, where have you been? International flights are basically dirt nowadays
>>
>>1252387
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but just to clarify, that is education entirely in English for 10 years, not just studying it as a foreign language.
>>
>>1252494
Damn, i thought they were strategically picking people from cold states, but apparently not. You probably will like the weather then. I did too initially, but i've lived in the midwest for like 14 years now after mostly growing up in the south, so I'm kinda sick of it at this point.

Pack some long johns if you don't have any already. They're super comfy and people from cold areas are hard asses about not wearing them for some reason.

>>1252508
If you're gonna be there in like early early August you can make it to Nebuta. It's supposed to be the biggest Nebuta festival in Japan or something.
>>
Is this place the best for comiket meetups or should I be looking at /jp/ or /cgl/
>>
>>1252629

This. I wish I could have stayed longer, if only for the food. Stayed 1 night at a ryokan on Miyajima for the kaiseki, and the second night in Hiroshima proper and ate in Okonomiyaki-mura.
>>
>>1251362

Mexican here.

They are but you will still get your obligatory gaijin space.

The sushi chef just said "Mexico? Ahhhhh, tacos!" When I told him were I was from.
>>
>>1252670

/a/ or /jp/ a couple of weeks before the event. They have a line chatgroup, but if you miss them you can probably find a gaijin group at the Big Saw at 3pm. Just ask if it's the reddit meetup.
>>
Any advice or things to keep in mind for dressing appropriately in japan? Obviously I will keep in mind the weather but I am unsure about designs types of clothes and such.
>>
>>1252294
Is your real life an eroge ?
>>
Another JET here, just got my placement, which is Nagasaki.

Has anyone been there before? I'm kinda worried I'll get mistaken for a Navy rapist and treated poorly.
>>
>>1252699
>I'm kinda worried I'll get mistaken for a Navy rapist and treated poorly.

Is this a real post?
>>
>>1252699
>I'm kinda worried I'll get mistaken for a Navy rapist

So you're black, then?
>>
>>1252734
Kek that American guy who killed that Japanese woman more recently was white so have fun with that delusion, whitey.
>>
File: lotte-blackface11.jpg (37KB, 417x502px) Image search: [Google]
lotte-blackface11.jpg
37KB, 417x502px
>>1252737

Just please don't whine that "tinder doesn't work", darkey.
>>
>>1252737
>going to asia as a black

Enjoy everyone shitting on you
>>
>>1252744
>he thinks the guys who complain Tinder doesn't work are black and not weeb fantasies crushed no-chin milquetoast nerd whiteboys
>>
File: e40.png (545KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
e40.png
545KB, 640x640px
>>1252746

>implying it's not both
>>
For those that are teaching English in Japan, what's your end game?
>>
>>1252751
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it is generally either for being immersed in the language (outside of class... since you will be teaching /in english/) or as an attempt to put their life on hold through spending a year or two in Japan.
>>
guys I'm planning on 15 day trip to Japan this summer without any plan.
Is this good idea? I'm just gonna wonder around like a gypsy. (I can speak jap to some degrees and can pass as a local in looks)
>>
>>1252762
It's usually a smart idea to do as little planning as possible
>>
Tips or advice for doing laundry in japan? I assume it is just like doing coin laundry anywhere else but thought I would just ask.
>>
>>1252751
I've found a job that I enjoy, so I guess my "end game" is to continue it for as long as possible or until I find another job that I enjoy.
>>
>>1252791
Yep. Some machines don't require detergent and prohibit the use of fabric softener. Other than that, it's pretty standard.
>>
>>1252796

Isn't there basically no upward mobility for English teachers?
>>
>>1252508
Spent 4 months at Misawa. Beautiful region. Misawa is a fun enclave of air Force duders and English friendly businesses and shops. Nearby nature is of unparalleled beauty.
notably Yagen valley, lake towada, the shimokita peninsula, particularly the northwestern top which is a wild horse nature preserve. Hirosaki castle, hiking along hakkoda, I could go on.

High concentration of live house rock/blues clubs. Friendly people. Good onsens. If you're fancy, hoshino aomoriya onsen in misawa is excellent. If you're cheap, yagen valley outdoor natural onsen along the river.

Also, check out oirase gorge. Amazing day trip and colocated with lake towada. Beautiful walk up a mountain Riverside path
>>
>>1252751
Converting to Yamato.
>>
>>1252798
Theres about a 5 year runway before a hard ceiling.
>>
>>1252699
Funny, I posted earlier in the thread and I was a JET in Nagasaki as well. Where you gonna be located? Nagasaki city, Sasebo, Omura, Goto, Saikai, or any place else?

It's a wonderful area no matter where you go. Scenery is beautiful, food is great, and if you want to head to a bigger city, Fukuoka isn't far at all. You got really lucky to be honest. Don't worry about being mistaken for Navy. They usually stay in Sasebo and are mostly cunts, so as long as you show some respect, you'll be fine. But if you can make some friends on the base, try and butter em up to get on base and grab cheap groceries.
>>
>>1252812

Doing something for 5 years seems like a bit of a waste if you aren't looking to rank up with your experience.
>>
>>1252815

I am ex-Navy. People in Sasebo are cunts because Sasebo fucking sucks ass. I love Japan, I have family in Japan, but Sasebo is aids.
>>
>>1252806
Sounds like like an amazing place, any hostels/hotels or airbnbs you'd recommend staying at?
>>
File: Nagasaki_Trolley_M5199.jpg (586KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Nagasaki_Trolley_M5199.jpg
586KB, 1500x1000px
>>1252815
The email I got yesterday said Nagasakishi, Nagasakiken, so I think it's the actual city? I feel fortunate that I got a city, but all my preferences were for Northern, snowy places like Aomori and Sapporo; I come from a hot climate so I wanted to experience snow. I guess it's just another example of the fact JET takes your preferences and tosses them out the window.

As you said I'm looking forward to checking out Fukuoka, my friend loved it there and people are always saying it's a hip place for young people.

What in particular would you recommend I check out in Nagasaki city and the surrounding area? Also how are the people there?
>>
Here is my most recent video, with my girlfriend, wandering around in Japan:

https://youtu.be/qtoF30noxXs
>>
>>1252827
Sasebo isn't that bad. While there are better parts of Nagasaki, there are nice things about it like Mt. Eboshi, the outdoor shopping center, and there's quite a few places to grab some good food. You also have Nimitz park which is the best place to dump all my trash (thanks, Navy). Why do you hate it so much?

>>1252831
Looks like you'll be in the city. You won't be able to have a car, but the public transportation is pretty good. Loads of cable cars for you to take and the train station allows you to either hop on a shinkansen or one of the local trains as well.

While you shouldn't expect snow, it snowed a few times while I was there so all hope isn't lost. Preference really isn't taken into consideration I agree, but you'll enjoy what Nags has as opposed to what it doesn't have.

Make sure to check out all the festivals. Kunchi, Lantern festival, and various random events are all worth checking out. There's a penguin museum, the peace park/bomb heritage site is a must, Dejima Wharf is a nice place to chill out, and Gunkan Jima (place where they filmed one of the newer Bond movies) is popular with tourists and only a ferry ride away.

Oh and make sure you check out Taj. The owner, Jiro, is a cool ass dude and it's the best Indian food I've had in Japan.

The people are great and I would suggest taking up any offer to go out and experience things you may not normally do. Don't feel like you need to spend all your time with JETs either. I got tired of attending all those parties because a lot of it came down to people getting drunk and trying to outdo/impress the others. Sure check it out once in a while, but if you're like me, that stuff gets tiring.
>>
>>1252826
No the thing is no matter how good you are without a master's in English you'll hit the cap if you're even competent.
>>
>>1252851

Is the cap good enough to sustain a career in Japan? Just pray your land a local woman to help support you?
>>
>>1252853
It's definitely not enough to support a family, if that's what you mean. But for someone living conservatively in a more rural area, it's plenty to live off of and to save up.
>>
>>1252851
State certified teachers have options as well. Masters isnt strictly necessary.
>>
File: You mutha.gif (519KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
You mutha.gif
519KB, 500x283px
>>1251366
YOU MONSTER!....
Unless something personal was attached to it then don't think too much about it
>>
>>1252853
>It's definitely not enough to support a family

With a spouse's added income it is, basically. ESL teachers do make shit but salaries are pretty low across the board in Japan.

Fuck go to IKEA on a weekend and the place is full of white guy-japanese woman couples with baby strollers. You know most of those guys have to be English teachers.
>>
>>1252751
Endgame? I don't know. It's a comfortable job that's easy? I live in a nice apartment in an exciting world city with my gf. I have tons of free time and no stress. I take two vacations a year to cool spots in Asia. Been to Singapore, Philippines, Cambodia, and will probably head to Laos or Vietnam this winter.

Japan itself is a very beautiful, interesting, convenient, clean and safe country.

Isn't a comfortable, happy life like anyone's endgame?

I'm open to alternatives though, fire if you've got an idea.
>>
Is there a japanese variant of airbnb?
>>
>>1252911
What's wrong with airbnb?
>>
File: happening but nobody cares kek.png (1MB, 1553x850px) Image search: [Google]
happening but nobody cares kek.png
1MB, 1553x850px
>leave country next week
>happening
>planes going to philippines are cancelled
>stuck in japan

Seriously what do, just in case.
Do I just apply and work or will Japan treat us as refugees and receive gibs?
>>
Do blacks really get shit on that badly in Japan?
>>
>>1252937
Blacks are treated as spectacles rather than humans. Same with gays
>>
>>1252939
Spectacle kind of confuses me here. Do you mean like a rarity?
>>
>>1252519
probably, I would withdraw like 30k worth of burger bucks and it would like 4 or 5$
>>
File: 1372716392410.jpg (47KB, 533x287px) Image search: [Google]
1372716392410.jpg
47KB, 533x287px
Are plane tickets in February cheap at all? its so close to January and the tickets are $1500 right now and the plan was to go in February but im not sure if its a tourist month. Google only gives me actual ticket websites for shit i dont care about
>>
>>1251352
Youll get refused next time you come.
>>
>>1251341
50 is not that much. Get it. What if you fall down the stairs or something?
>>
>>1252831
I'm the person from >>1252115

Funny how that works. You pretty much got my dream placement. Maybe they got our applications mixed up.
>>
I doubt many here have driven in Japan, but what's the bug splatter situation like in say, central Japan particularly but wherever either
>>
Does customs get upset if you have lots of pills? I get headaches all the time so I have a collection of pills I take with me.
>>
>>1252973
>>1252973
They're pretty strict on medicine i'd check ahead to avoid any issues
>>
>>1252284
I don't have to, I don't need a visa.
>>
>>1252972
You mean how many bugs are there? A lot in the spring/summer, fewer in the fall, nearly none in the winter - just as you'd imagine.
>>
So I read that up until the olympics you can get your JR pass in japan without much trouble just for a higher price. Anyone have expirence with this?
>>
>>1253080
It's less the quantity and more whether they swarm 3' above roads.
>>
>>1252922
Shit, didnt know, i guess the filename is right
Are you going home to philipines ?
>>
>>1252967
From what I've read online and heard from consulate staff, JET really doesn't give a fuck about your preferences. They may take the urban/rural preference into consideration, but only lightly. JET is more interested in accommodating the preferences of the contracting organisations/boards of education, which can be as specific as "we want a Canadian female who can speak some Japanese" or whatever.

I wonder if we can transfer locations after the year contract is up?
>>
I'm a vagabond traveler in Japan.

what are my chances of getting laid? I'm not exactly the clean cut fuccboi type.
>>
>>1253082
Yeah this is true friend of mine got it but paid £260
>>
>>1253124
That's not terrible, it would be about 260USD if I ordered it online prior to getting there for the 7 day pass(all I need). I might just get it there then
>>
>>1253123
How much do you get laid in your home country?
>>
>>1253154
Pretty decently, but I wasn't a tent sleeping hitchhiker there.
>>
>>1252972
I don't remember it being noticeable
>>
>>1253123
How's your Japanese and how much money are you bringing.

That can be a huge make or break
>>
>>1253158
Shitty but decent enough to get around.

I can survive 3 years on the road frugally without having to get a job.
>>
>>1253117
From what I read it's possible but highly unlikely unless you get married or something.

It seems that your contracting school has to suggest you get transferred, which is tough because if you're doing a good job they won't want you to leave, but if you suck they just won't re-contract

Apparently some people make it happen on their 4th year when you get close to breaking 40,000 a year, just because some schools have a rule against keeping anyone that long. In my case though, according to other JETs, Aomori is notorious for keeping people the full 4-5 years lol. ce la vie

This is all like 3rd hand info though so who knows.
>>
Hey guys, if you could only spend one day in Kyoto what would you do?
We want to stroll through the bamboo grove in Arashiyama and visit the monkey park, but are undecided as to where else to go. I'm kinda tossing up between Fushimi Inari or Kiyomizu-dera.
>>
>>1253173
I would go to the train station and get a train to Osaka
>>
>>1253161
>ce la vie
>>
File: ???.jpg (737KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
???.jpg
737KB, 1080x1080px
What's the weather like in November and December? I don't know if I want to plan my trip for the end of this year or in February through March.
>>
>>1252973
If you have a prescription for the pills then bring that, otherwise just bring them and if they get confiscated just buy them whilst you're over there.
>>
>>1253178
We are going to Osaka, we're literally travelling from Tokyo and leaving our bags in a coin locker at Kyoto Station and then cod-walloping around the city until the afternoon when check-in opens at our accommodation in Osaka, in which we'll then journey to Osaka.
>>
>>1253123
>ayyy girl, ever fucked a gaijin in a tent?

0%, anon.
>>
Is it possible to land a job at the U.S. embassy in Tokyo, and work there for more than just 2-3 years?
>>
>>1253190
If ur a diplomat
>>
File: doublas 14 mins paint.png (35KB, 791x633px) Image search: [Google]
doublas 14 mins paint.png
35KB, 791x633px
Before heading out to Japan
Is it better to exchange $ to yen in local exchange shops, banks, or in japan airports, japan local exchange shops.
My cousins are telling me to do in japan airport cause I might get mugged in our local exchange shops and airport exchange rates are reasonable.
Help anons.
>>
>>1253199
Just get it out at 711's or the airport, your chances of getting mugged are basically 0 unless you are a legitimate moron and go to the shadiest place in tokyo and flash it around some mean drunks.
>>
>>1253179
there's a reason why i'm not going to japan to teach french boyo
>>
>>1253208

I hooked up with a french teacher while in Tokyo. Cool girl.
>>
Okay guys, I need your help.
I'm headed to Japan in 18 days with a friend. My whole goal is to experience Japan and just have a good time, eating the food, seeing the sights, etc. Normal tourist shit.
My friend, however, is pretty much exclusively going there to get drunk and fuck the locals. He doesn't speak Japanese.
What do I do when he tries to drag me to a bar every night and cry when he strikes out?

Basically, how do I not get dragged down by a greasy American that is literally the American stereotype?
>>
How likely is Nipponese water to give me diarrhea? Did any of you guys have problems drinking it?

I was raised in a pretty shit, small, mismanaged town that would regularly fuck up our water treatment so i mught have some resistance.
>>
>>1253236
Why not just not go with him during drinking?
>>1253246
Tap water from the faucet's fine aside from the weird pipe taste. Even some prefectures advertise their tap water as clean such as yokohama. I've been drinking from tap ever since I got here but it goes through a brita filter.
>>
If you're looking into the possibility of english teaching but don't want to be put in a boiling megacity with an insane cost of living and thoroughly mediocre pay, do any of the teaching programs let you give some input as to where you go? I'd prefer a small city in a cooler climate, maybe Hakodate or something, is that something that'd be difficult to arrange?
>>
>>1253263
Look into ECC and then AEON as a plan B.

The chain Eikaiwa schools generally will put you where you want to be as long as you're willing to wait for an opening, and since you don't want a big city (and most people do) they should be able to accommodate you quickly and gladly.
>>
>>1253290
Cool, thanks, I'll do that if teaching ends up being something I decide to do.

By the way, am I right to think that the cost of living/commute/etc in a small city will be significantly less obnoxious than in Tokyo, or is that only in completely rural areas or not at all?
>>
>>1253290
>>1253300
Also, as a followup after glancing at ECC and AEON, both only seem to be in Honshu and Kyushu - is that right? If I'm very used to a pretty cold/temperate climate and don't do well with constant heat should I really be aiming to be in Hokkaido? Also, what differences make ECC plan A and AEON plan B in your view?
>>
Anybody here ever rent a motorcycle and ride a bit across Japan? Thinking about it even though the rental fees i've been looking up seem a bit expensive sadly.

I have a motorcycle license and international drivers license, although i'm still nervous about the idea of driving on the opposite side of the road from usual. I just can't get over how appealing Japan's landscape seems for riding compared to my normal surroundings.
>>
>>1253303
>By the way, am I right to think that the cost of living/commute/etc in a small city will be significantly less obnoxious than in Tokyo, or is that only in completely rural areas or not at all?

>both only seem to be in Honshu and Kyushu - is that right?

Nah, don't know where you're getting that. They're both fully nationwide.

>If I'm very used to a pretty cold/temperate climate and don't do well with constant heat should I really be aiming to be in Hokkaido?

Obviously Hokkaido will suit your taste but basically anything at or north of like Toyama, Nagano, Nikko will definitely be noticeably more temperate than like Tokyo. Remember they held the damn winter Olympics in Nagano before.

>Also, what differences make ECC plan A and AEON plan B in your view?
ECC has much better hours and more vacation. It's really a no brainer between those two really. Slight benefits of AEON are: higher pay, consecutive days off and a severance bonus.
>>
>>1252519

I plan on doing it at the airport when I arrive and changing back when I leave.
>>
>>1253359
>am I right to think that the cost of living/commute/etc in a small city will be significantly less obnoxious than in Tokyo

Well honestly Tokyo isn't that bad. It's got nothing on like London or New York, Sydney, Scandi countries... You can get a single apartment in Tokyo for around 50,000 yen a month. I used to live in West Tokyo (western burbs). My apartment was a 2 minute walk from the station and from that station 20 minutes to Shinjuku on the fast train.

I mean yes your COL will be noticeably less in general because apartments will be even cheaper, you won't have to train as much and there's just less in the way of diversions and shit to blow your money on. But like a Yoshinoya restaurant is going to cost the same in the boonies as it does in Tokyo.
>>
>>1252670

I also plan on attending ComiKet for a day with my normie gf, would be cool to do a meetup
>>
>>1252973

If they're opioid medications you definitely need a yakkan shoumei which means you need to apply in advance.

Do a Google search for your country's embassy concerning importation of medication into Japan.

Many drugs simply aren't allowed. Trust me, the last thing you want is to get in trouble for a medication you're allowed to have in your own country.
>>
>>1253123
Everyone on the internet talks about how much they have sex with the Japanese but I've yet to even speak to a female beyond a few words
>>
>>1253382 >>1253123

I've been in Japan for 5 weeks, I dont speak Japanese, and have had sex with 3 girls, spoken to quite a few. This third girl i'm quite smitten with, so i'm not too interested in anyone else right now. I imagine this being 4chan, theres alot of wierdo's on here who have problems chatting to anybody, girl or boy, in their hometown. If hwoever you have some social skills, like going to bars, and are not ugly, it's not that difficult to make female friends. Find a cool bar, go there on a weekend when it's pretty busy, preferably with some friends, and mingle. One thing i've noticed about this place is alot of people just want to cut straight through the crap. ie: if there interested in you, they wont spend an hour hoping you catch their glance, they will walk right up to you and say hello.

I will say that the girls here are on a whole different league to most places. It is very hard to not see 9/10 / 10/10 girl's down every street. Just be aware, that it's hard to come across one with a nice big pair of tits like you may have seen on google. If your an ass/leg man however, you are in heaven.

This is my second time being here, and i seriously think that Japanese girls are the best girls on the planet. GL anon
>>
>>1253181
Bumping
>>
>>1253425
I'm there from September to th2 beginning of December and the weather seems pretty mild in November and December. Where in particular are you visiting?
>>
>>1253392
Are you in a hotel or airbnb? I'm looking at renting a small apartment to myself for a month with airbnb but not sure if they're cool with you bringing girls there
>>
>>1253429
I'm planning on visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and anywhere else that catches my eye.
>>
File: teaching locations.png (114KB, 1569x877px) Image search: [Google]
teaching locations.png
114KB, 1569x877px
>>1253359
>>1253371
I might have misunderstood, but the map on the left from the ECC site implies they only do the coloured areas, and the list on the left from the AEON site implies that these are all the areas they do. Could be wrong though, that's just the impression the sites give.

Also, having done a bit more research, what's different about JET from the others? The impression I'm getting is that it's generally better, but it's more competitive and also you get less control over where you go. Is that right, and is there anything more I'm missing?
>>
>>1253392

Were these girls regular Japanese, or gaijin hunters?
>>
>>1251457
This
Super comfy
>>
>>1251521
Went to see Hiroshima play in the Mazda zoom zoom and it was easy just show up and buy a ticket there
>>
>>1252577
No just have okinomiyaki in Osaka instead
>>
>>1253392
what cities tho
>>
>>1251256
what would the charge be for strangling with my bare hands and then eating shinto rabbits and deer to feed my escapades as a visa breaking homeless finnish foreigner in japan?

would i really get in that much trouble if caught?
>>
>>1253518
Dishonour on you and dishonour on your family
>>
>>1251334
If not excessive, I did ¥1500 most days with relative ease. Rice balls/cheap food from a convenience store for breakfast, then eat out for lunch and dinner at a ramen, sushi, curry, or gyudon shop. Plenty of cheap options.
>>
>>1253250
I will go drinking with him, but he wants to get blackout drunk every night in a country we've never been.
>>
>>1251269
It's historical, what do you want
>>
>>1253370
Yeah I've made the mistake to take money out at the bank, £750 worth paid £800
>>
>>1253439
Well the major difference is that with ECC or Aeon, you'd be the main teacher at an English conversation school, whereas with JET, you'd be an assistant teacher in one or more public schools. Both positions have their pros and cons; what you should choose depends on what job you're looking for.
>>
>>1253439
Well, alright I guess ECC isn't in Hokkaido but AEON definitely is. AEON is even in Okinawa.

>>1253439
>what's different about JET from the others? The impression I'm getting is that it's generally better, but it's more competitive and also you get less control over where you go. Is that right, and is there anything more I'm missing?

Yeah, it's going to be a much different environment. JET is for public schools. Classes will be huge (like 30+ a class most likely). Depending on the school, you might be like main teacher who plans the lessons or you might more live up to the name of ALT (assistant language teacher) and just be like a CD who reads some scripts or whatever in the main Japanese English teachers class.

ECC and AEON are language school companies. You will teach kids and adult students. Your classes will be smaller (like 1 to 8 students), you'll work at night and almost certainly on Saturday.

Because of its high pay (300k a month) and general easiness (depends on the school but you will almost certainly have no more than 4 classes in a day--a friend of mine who is a JET brat has 2 a day). JET is usually considered the best ESL job in Japan that does not require extra qualifications (like a masters, PhD or state cert).

That said ECC is a pretty decent job. You work 6 hours a day which is actually less than JET, although you will basically be working the whole time. You get 50k yen less a month. With ECC you will almost certainly not get consecutive days off either so it's not like a real weekend. You'll probably get Sunday and then a random weekday off.
>>
Am I doing this right?
https://youtu.be/EAOCtJtk2oo
>>
>>1252847
Thanks a lot for all that info about Nagasaki; apart from a Begin Japanology episode and the fact the atomic bomb was dropped there I know next to nothing about the place.

For anyone who has done JET before: what are you expected to do in the school holidays?
>>
>>1253359
>>1253303
>>1253263

Ex-pat living in Hakodate right now. IIRC, the only big chain Eikaiwa I have seen while living here is NOVA, which unfortunately limits your chances. IIRC NOVA is the only major chain with a large presence on this island, though I could be wrong on that.
>>
should i boys?
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11386910
>>
Alright, i've seen many post about first time solo travelling to japan, but i've never seen the result or trip report posted. Anyone mind sharing?
>>
>>1253553
If you're worried about pickpockets or just criminals in general, you'd still be safe while dead drunk. Just don't be at shady places like some parts of Shinjuku or shibuya. Japanese in general will just leave drunk people alone so you can just maybe leave your friend alone once he's knocked out.

Anecdotal, most gaijin friends I know here, when they're too dead, either I leave them alone and they'll be (usually) picked up by the police or I just throw them in a taxi if they still have money with them.
>>
File: big gaijin chinchin.jpg (152KB, 721x185px) Image search: [Google]
big gaijin chinchin.jpg
152KB, 721x185px
>Reading through the JET handbook
>Taxation information, job requirements, etc
>Suddenly come across this

How should I respond if I'm asked this?
>>
>>1253639
>https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11386910
Hell yes. Good price and all the gay sex you can handle.
>>
>>1253670
If woman, giggle and tehe until they fuck off
if man, say "A wizard said he would grant me one of two things, amazing memory or a huge penis. I forgot which I picked."
>>
File: 1420997442477.jpg (138KB, 1199x850px) Image search: [Google]
1420997442477.jpg
138KB, 1199x850px
>>1253640
>>
>>1252650
>where have you been?
I just got back from my second trip to Japan a few months ago.
But I'm already getting the urge to go back.
>>
Today marks 1 week in japan

Really not what I had hoped for
I regret making this a 20 day stay
>>
>>1253695
Did you plan out things to do for each day or go blindly in?
>>
>>1253687
>these are the people who complain tinder don't work in japan for tourists

Keep this in mind
>>
>>1253697
Yeah I planned
Currently on the Shinkansen to Hiroshima
>>
>>1253700
I'm glad you're having a miserable time desu. You sound like a right shit.
>>
Don't blame me on this country and it's people being shit
>>
>>1253631
You mean single days off? Whatever you want. Try and schedule your nenkyu (paid leave) around public holidays. That way, you can take overseas trips and make the most out of it. For example, Golden Week has a few random days off, but nothing consecutive, so just take those random days off and you can end up with a nice 2 week holiday while only use 5 or so days of paid leave. You get 20 days of leave per year and if you don't use em, they stack, but only a certain amount of hours I believe.

It's funny because your co-workers have the same amount of days, but rarely use them. If they get sick, they'll use them instead of sick leave since using sick leave is considered selfish." Ignore that shit and use em liberally.
>>
>>1253702
is this you? >>1253687
>>
Going to Japan for a week. Leaving on the 28th. Staying 3 days in Kawaguchiko and then Tokyo for 4 days. Can anyone recommend me a good site to order a pocket wifi? Thanks and if anyone wants to get together in Tokyo that'd be cool
>>
>>1253708
Just get it at the airport
>>
Might as well be but I never had expectations of sex as I'm not exactly a chad
>>
>>1253710
Thanks buddy
>>
>>1251954
Currently living in Shikoku, there is fuck all to do. You won't miss much by skipping.
>>
File: DogsInClothes.jpg (67KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
DogsInClothes.jpg
67KB, 858x536px
>>1252448
Honestly the only good (both paying and support) ALT company is JET. Anyone else and you'll get stuck nowhere with only survival cash
>>
One great thing that no one ever mentions here, you can get shitfaced in public.
>>
>>1253753
That's because everyone in these generals pretends they are interested in the culture when really they are just degenerates that love anime and spend 90% of their trip in aki.
>>
>>1253769
What's so special in Aki??
>>
Which two consecutive months have the most comfortable weather? Comfortable as in, wearing pants and a light jacket most of the time.
>>
Where are the best places to eat dinner in Hiroshima?
>>
>>1253802
November-December
>>
>>1253802
Probably April/May or September/October, though from my experience in southern Japan, spring and fall seem to be quite short with very little "in-between" time from the extreme cold of winter to the extreme heat of summer and back.
>>
>>1253807
How cold is extreme? I'm also planing on going either this winter or spring
>>
>>1253654
Shady parts of shinjuku or shibuya? Is there Yakuza there or something
>>
>>1253805
I just had the onigiri and karaage from seven eleven what a feast
>>
>>1253805
Okonomiyaki-mura
>>
>>1253807
I had a similar experience, and as you said it depends where you are. In mid-April Tokyo, Nikko, and Sendai were all light jacket weather, and in late April/early May Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki were all on the edge between shorts/pants and no jacket.
>>
Japan memes:

-Tinder doesn't work
-Kyoto sucks
-Japan sucks in general
-Black guys will follow you

Any I'm missing?
>>
I was considering doing the Shikoku Pilgrimage so I googled some videos about it, found this one - seems proper crowded, I thought it would be a quiet, isolated journey - anyone done it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nopay5yG15I
>>
>>1253859

Being white will automatically get you pussy.
>>
New bread >>1253896
>>
>>1251256
Maybe this should be updated, there are multiple options for passes, it's not exclusive to just the nationwide JR pass. For example, I am going to get the JR East Nagano, Niigata Pass because I will be travelling for around 9 days covering Nagano, Tokyo and Narita. It's about 18k Yen good for 5 days out of 14-day period. This is much cheaper than just outright purchasing a JR pass for 7-days. Just a suggestion.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.