[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iran General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

Okay guys, in less than one month I'll be in Iran for 30 days and I have basically no knowledge about this beautiful country.

Therefore I have some questions:

1. How expensive is Iran? Can I survive a month of Iran with 1000-1500€ and still see everything I want to see?

2. How do I find cheap accommodation? I read that hostels are pretty much non-existent. AirBnB? Couchsurfing? Try to stay with locals I meet (which is difficult for me, as I'm quite introverted)?

3. How do I get Iranian Rials? There are different infos on the internet that are completely contrary on this topic. What I read is that ATMs don't work and so I have to bring enough cash (USD) to exchange at the airport or somewhere else. Is that true? If so, how do I get those big amounts of USD from cheaply? Until then I'll be in Laos, Thailand and Malaysia, so I won't be able to get money from my local bank back in Germany.

4. Any tips on what to bring? Or some hidden gems you want to share?

I hope I can get some help from you, anons! Cheers
>>
Further questions, but not as relevant as those above:

5. Will I pay way more than what locals pay for the same thing? If so, how do I get around it?

6. Do they use toilet paper? If not, is it possible to get some from the supermarket?

7. Is it generally safe to travel into more rural areas on your own? I'm male, 19 and 1,75m. Don't plan to go to the boarder areas to Syria or Afghanistan though.
>>
>>1230720
When are you going to Iran? I'm going there in a couple of years.

1. Very cheap. For europeans and americans it would be extra cheap.

2. Iranians are southerners so they're very friendly and hospitable. Just stay with locals for free, no problems.

3. Yes, the best way is to exchange cash at the border or in airport. Unofficial esxchange rate may be better thah official. Welcome to black market dude.

3. South shore of Caspian sea has to be visited. The rest I want: Isfahan, Yazd, Shiraz, Persian gulf shore, Deshte-lut desert, Persepolis, old villages made of clay, zoroasrian shrines, maybe Mashhad. Tehran isn't so worth, it's completley modern city, I'm going to have not more than 1 day for it.

>>1230723
5. IDK. It would be the same problem for me, especially due to language barrier. Anyway, for a bed you probably will pay less than locals.

6. In moder areas, I suppose, it is like as Caucasus - toilet paper and bottles with water for washing are both, but in rural there could be only bottles.

7. The only unsafe region of Iran is Balochistan. Iran doesn't border with Syria.
>>
>>1230736
Thanks mate, this is how prepared I should be one month before arrival. Have you been there already or will this be your first time too?

1. Really, it's cheap? What I read is that there's not really a backpacking culture (and that's what I am), but really expensive hotels. How do you plan to stay there and with what cost do you calculate?

2. Yeah that's what I heard too, but I don't think it will be easy for me to get close to the locals...

3.-6. Nice, thanks a lot! Your bucket list sounds great, I need to figure out how much I can squeeze into one month.

7. Okay, this is awkward. Thanks for the correction.

NEW QUESTIONS!

- I'm really into street photography, but I guess I have to keep it to a minimum?
- What about Ramadan? During my last two days in Iran and the two weeks in Jordan after there will be Ramadan. I know that I won't be allowed to eat in public, but will I still be able to buy some food to eat on my own?
>>
You're lucky OP. Im hoping to go there with my dad within the next few years.

I also have kind of an unrelated question. Say Ive been to Israel, will they see my passport stamp at the airport in Iran and hate me? Also vice verca.
>>
>>1230758
I've never been here, but read a lot and I guess Iran is very related to Caucasus where I have been for many times.

1&2. I'm going to pay for hotels only if I cannot find any free host. I suppose out of the tourist centres of big cities it would be very easy to ask anyone to host me for a night. I did it a lot at Caucasus, locals not only left me stay but also always fed. If you're a backpacker and trying to install a tent somewhere locals will come to you and invite you to their home for free. Really often situation in Caucasus. Bad thing is that you cannot stay alone at all, you're always in the focus of locals' attention. Places like this isn't for sociopaths.

7. Afghanistan regions border with Mashhad is not very dangerous too. I read about people who take a one day ride from Mashhad to Herat. Also it's easier to applicate Afghani visa in Mashhad (for me as Russian particularly, I cannot get Afghani visa at Moscow at all and now it's become very difficult in Dushanbe and Horog). At the rest Iran is absolutely safe except pickpockets in cities of cause.

>- I'm really into street photography, but I guess I have to keep it to a minimum?
As I know you can photograph anything you want, including women or mosques. Iranian women very like to photograph. The only thing you must not photograph is any military/birder/police infrastructure, and if you do so police will explain you should remove photos.

>- What about Ramadan?
The same as you wrote. Iranians are ok to feed you during Ramadan because you're a foreighner, a traveler and not muslim but of cause it would be better to go to Iran in any other time. Also the best times is early spring (March) or late autumn (October-November). Nature is very nice and beautiful and not terrible day heat (there could be VERY hot during summer)
>>
>>1230760

IDK but I know a man who really have travelled in Israel and Iran using the same passport and of cause border guards have seen both border crossing marks. But it could generate some problems, of cause.
>>
>>1230764
> travelled in Israel and Iran using the same passport
>border guards have seen both border crossing marks
Israel doesn't mark your passport at all, if you are a tourist/visitor.
If you have Iranian stamps in your passport, you'll get questioned by Israel border police but generally won't be denied entry.
>>
>>1230773
Yes now it's true but he did it before February, 2013, back then there had been border crossing stamps.
>>
>>1230763

1.&2. Thanks! I find the tip with the tent really useful, maybe I'll buy one beforehand.

7. That's great news. My country's Foreign Office tells me to gtfo of the boarder zones, but they are telling shit all the time.

>As I know you can photograph anything you want, including women or mosques. Iranian women very like to photograph.
Good to hear! Thanks a lot.

>VERY hot during summer
Yeah I know. The thing is, I won't have to possibility to go there again for the next couple of years, so I'll be taking the chance now, regardless of the heat.

That's it for now! Again, thank you a lot. I'll now go figure out a rough itinerary, but I'll be back for more questions for sure
>>
>>1230788
Lifehack: if you're seeking for free toilet, just go to the nearest mosque. It always has a free open toilet, regardless you're not muslim (no one compels you to go to the prayer after that).

Many travelers complain about local everyday cuisine, it's almost represented only by kebabs. Tasty and eatful but all in the same key, so gets bored pretty quickly.

The only story about trying to cheat tourists for money I know is a story about Russian car tourists seeking for a bed in Isfahan they have asked local taxi drivers about cheap host. The drivers have targetless gone by circlers across the city and asked for a money for their "helping". After 3 hours of that shit tourists decided to ask to police and police had driven away those drivers
>>
Somewhat unrelated but I don't wanna make another thread for my question

Since this is /trv/ and threads live forever, could you post your experiences from Laos when you're done there? If it's possible (interwebs and all) ofc

I wanna go somewhere far, cheap, and horribly different than western europe for my next vacation and Laos popped into my head although I don't really know much about it
>hence the question

Also wanna go to iran but dunno which should be first.

In either case, have fun OP
>>
Brit here: can you get a guide on the cheap? Iran seemed to be the perfect exotic yet cheap holiday for me until you factor in the price of a guide. any chance of getting some student to show you round for change or is it more tightly regulated?
>>
>>1230791
>Lifehack
Thanks, I will remember that!

>kebabs
Haha no worries, I could eat them for ages
>>
>>1231076
>In either case, have fun OP
Thanks!

Well, Laos is from what I experienced just another Southeast Asian country. As I have only one week for the whole country, I can only do the main sights, so I'm forced to stay in the cities. City life for a westerner in a SEA country is more or less the same, regardless of the country, I guess. If you really want to experience more rural and "different" areas, you can go to whatever Asian country you want, but then stay in the countryside instead.

In general I would say, Cambodia or Vietnam would be better destinations. There might be more tourists in total, but you can get off the path easily.

You might want to consider Nepal. It's not as overrun as SEA (even Laotian cities are full of tourists) and absolutely stunning.
>>
I live in Iran, so ask any questions you want and I'll get back to you.
However, I cant use 4chan( I had to use a literal proxy to get this message to you)
So best option seems to be an email address, unless you have telegram.
My email: hak1377 ät yahoo
-HAK
>>
>>1231216
That would be great, thanks a lot! I'm currently trying to get Telegram running, I'll hit you up as soon as it works!
>>
When my wife and I visited Iran, we were stopped at a checkpoint and a rather burly but friendly sort of looking man poked his head into the window and screamed that I need to get my woman (presumably my wife) under control.

A little confuzzled at the outburst from his previously friendly demeanor I turned to my wife and back to him, seeing nothing amiss. I asked him for clarification and he told me to cover her up! Of course, despite all the preparation I had made I forgot about the local customs regarding what women should wear!

So for the remainder of the trip I had my wife wrapped up in a chador (similar to a burka) so that only my eyes may feast upon her. And actually, we practice this sometimes back at home too! It gets my wife quite in the mood to be considered a forbidden fruit for only my savoring

Anyhoo, that's one experience of mine. Hope you enjoy iran!!
>>
Okay guys I have some more questions:

- The ATMs are still not working, right? How did you get the sufficient cash beforehand? Will foreign banks in Malaysia give me out that large amount of money?

- How do I find the cheapest accommodation in Tehran (or generally in Iran)? I want to stay in hotels or hostels for the first 2 or 3 nights.

- I'm thinking about buying a Lonely Planet, do you think there will be bookstores in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, KL, that coincidentally offer LPs about Iran? Other than that, is the digital book any good? I never had something like that.

>>1231248
Good thing I'm traveling solo this time. My gf wouldn't like to cover herself...
>And actually, we practice this sometimes back at home too! It gets my wife quite in the mood to be considered a forbidden fruit for only my savoring
...though this sounds pretty exciting
>>
As someone who also has an interest in going to Iran next year, how good/expensive is getting around with public transport? Are taxis expensive? Hiring a car is impossible for me since I'm not getting a license before then.
>>
Me again.
I see the board but responding to it is a pain.
So here's some stuff:

>>1231255
-The ATMs are national but not international.
For exchange either the official exchange or the "black market".
For sufficient money, i don't know.
Also it seems that maximum entery of money is 5000USD, more than that should be declared.

-in tehran there are from cheap motels to luxury 5 star hotels.
A 3 star should do fine.

-I have no idea what that is.

>>1231301

I speak for the capital, other cities I don't know.
there 2 kinds of taxis,
one type that have fixed terminals and travel between these two point
another one you hire to take you where you want.
obviously the second one is more expensive.
but still because of low value of IRR, it should be cheap for most of you.
-HAK
>>
>>1230760
You'd be turned back with your Israeli stamped passport. Just get a new one for your Iran trip.
>>
>>1231301
In Tehran the subway is your best bet. Rapid transit buses are also really nice during rush hour times which is pretty much 24/7 in Tehran. Taxis if you like chatting up with the driver and other locals. If you want your taxi to not be rideahared with others, you tell the driver your destination followed by "darbast" which means "closed door" aka no more passengers.
>>
>>1231248
Lol at you getting your wife to wear a chador. You guys really went the extra mile with that one. Just the thought of a foreigner wearing a chador makes me all giggly.
>>
>>1230720
1. Cheap that will definitely be enough the most expensive thing would be the museums and sites which are typically priced at western prices between 10-20 usd for entry.
2. Couchsuring in Tehran is popular that's what I did, but there are some low end hotels for about 40 us and some dodgy looking flop houses/hostels/ workers quarters for really cheap. Hostels are available in Yazad and Shiraz check wikitravel for websites/ email addresses you typically can't book using a western booking website about 12-17us a night. Not 100% sure about Mashad stayed with friends of friends from Tehran.
3. There are three markets primary, secondary and black market. Secondary gives the best rates for the risk involved. primary is at the banks and airports, secondary is exchange shops in the city Ferdowsi street is good. The black market guys hang out on the street in front of the shops but it's illegal and they will try to rip you off/report you after exchanging money Atms still don't work.
5. Museums are the only thing you'll pay more for officially and there is no way around that but that's common in even Western countries. If you buying souvenirs from the markets you'll probably end up paying over the odds unless you are fluent in Persian and a good negotiator. Check out the Friday flea markets in Tehran I'm not 100% sure of the location but it's held in a multi story car park our couch surfing host took us there.
6. plumbing is fucked like Asia/Greece so it's bidet or toilet paper and bin. It's available in the super market.
7. Only hot spots are south east of Bam and maybe the Iraqi border area the rest of the country is pretty fine, I went over the land border into Afghanistan from Mashad and didn't have problems.
>>
>>1230758
Ramadan; it's fine as a traveler to eat semi - publicly like buy something and eat it in the shop or in a side alley, more rude than anything because people are hungry. I had full meals with hosts in their homes well after sun up. You'll see a lot of restaurants with there roller door a jar I learnt later that you you duck under and grab something to eat during the day they use the technicality that they are serving people too sick to fast and travelers.
Street photography is fine just avoid civil like hospitals and fire stations and of course military infrastructure. Some locals might be touchy after the propaganda portraits but that's because they want to try and portray Iran with a friendlier image to outsiders.
>>1230760
I'm pretty sure Iran and some Gulf Arab states refuse entry to people who have Israeli stamps in there passports. I'm pretty sure if it's the other way around Israel just do extra checks on you if you have Iranian stamps but don't automatically refuse entry.
>>1231301
Public transport in Tehran especially is cheap 50c a ride and the network is quite extensive and there is cheap ($10) inter city buses. Taxis can be booked privately or can be shared I never really got the system our host always helped with that. I know they have there own ride sharing/ taxi app but i never got the name and I'm not sure if it's in English
>>1231255
See above for the accommodation and atm situation I found the Iran lonely planet guide one of the harder ones to find in Australia and had to order it into the store, If the digital book has the same content as the physical it's a good start and it will be handy assuming the file is compatible with google's e-reader on most android phones.
>>
>>1230788
>7. That's great news. My country's Foreign Office tells me to gtfo of the boarder zones, but they are telling shit all the time.

Iranian here. Stay away from the Pakistani, Afghani and Iraqi borders. Also the general Kurdistan region is pretty risky. Imagine the border being similar to the American-Mexican one. It's generally safe but you could at any time cross into the territory of cartels it in Iran's case, drug smugglers and so on. If you stay away from the borders you are much more secure under the protection of the Iranian security forces.
>>
>>1231301
Also, followup, I'm lowkey learning farsi (whenever I can find the time/motivation, usually at least twice a week). How are "foreign speakers" seen over there. I just assume it's not quite like in (northern) europe, where it's not uncommon for people to hear you're a foreigner trying to speak your language and they reply back in English, or even your own language.
>>
>online LP guidebook
I can upload one, but it's from 2008. Not sure how useful it will be.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.