[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Very specific minimalist gear thread recommendatinos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: 432784v1.jpg (19KB, 420x280px) Image search: [Google]
432784v1.jpg
19KB, 420x280px
Hey /trv/. /fa/ guy who's gotten borderline autistic about gear that looks good without sacrificing function. I was hoping we could get a thread going about that as well as very specific things that I'm looking for:

- a round hat that covers your neck without making you look too much like a fucking dumbass (I need it for hiking: something like pic related)

- travel adaptors are super bulky imo. There's gotta be something thinner?

- hiking pants that don't look fucking stupid (must have cargo pockets and can't be super baggy)

- For shorts, I have lululemon pace breakers (which are great 'cause there's a zip pocket that's sort of hidden for my cash). I think their long sleeves also look great and are technical without being too obvious

- I'm looking for a soap container that actually makes sense. I swear they're always massive and take up more space than they need to + your soap gets all soggy because it's just swimming in soap water

- I'm looking for the lightest flip flops. I literally hate flip flops/hike in vibrams but wear them only to shower

- favourite brand for travel size bottles for liquids?

---------------
It can also be a general gear you can't live without thread

- I love my merino wool buff. It's great as headband, good as a scarf, good for motorcycling so you don't eat bugs/it covers your neck

- also use eagle creek compression bags. They're awesome 'cause you can just throw everythign in there, then squeeze the air out. I can be ready to leave in minutes now.
>>
>>1227508
Just rock the legionnaire cap like our boys matt and alex m8.
>>
File: 1260281556793179.jpg (16KB, 282x353px) Image search: [Google]
1260281556793179.jpg
16KB, 282x353px
>>1227508
>>1227518
>he still doesn't have a budenyovka
>>
>>1227508
you need a special brand to buy a fucking bottle?
>>
just put suncream on your neck you fucking sperglord
also this thread would be better on /out/
>>
Not OP but this is relevant to my interests so, bump.
>>
>>1227508
sup everyone
I'll be going around SEA for the next months. I need overall hints on what to bring.

My main concern : I really like cooking, and specially using good seasoning. How to carry ~4 different spices without making a mess?

Also, should I bring a good knife?
>>
>>1227618
Just buy spices there and throw them away and buy new ones. it's ridiculously cheap.
>>
i'm very happy with my woolpower round scarf for many reasons, i just put that on with a hat.

the soap container is my biggest interest out of these, if anyone knows any better solution, other than just bringing shower gel, i'm very interested.

i know you should avoid the ikea travel size bottles, their shape is great, but the liquid keeps spilling no matter what.

i actually end up refilling small cosmetics containers instead of buying empty containers. the ikea ones were the worst, but all the other ones were also kind of meh, compared to the ones i purchased with some actual product inside them. (those i washed at my sink at home a couple of times, then re-filled with something else.) the best are my face and eye cream containers, they just somehow never open, even if the top gets slightly unscrewed.

idk haglöfs for hiking pants maybe? i'm kind of into the korean hiking granny style, so i find it hard not to like any hiking pants.
>>
File: neckwarmers_11.jpg (174KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
neckwarmers_11.jpg
174KB, 1280x1280px
>>1227508
>- a round hat that covers your neck without making you look too much like a fucking dumbass (I need it for hiking: something like pic related)
Would you be willing to consider alternatives to a neck-covering hat? How about a normal hat, and covering your neck with a scarf/towel/shemagh/neck tube (pic related)? The latter two are popular with travelers for the aesthetics.

>- travel adaptors are super bulky imo. There's gotta be something thinner?
Care to be more specific with what electrical devices you're bringing, and to which country? The reason why so many adaptors are bulky is because they try to cover every region, and every power output. If you just want to charge your phone or camera, you can slim down considerably. If you're bringing a hair dryer, then yeah, you're gonna have a problem. If you're staying at a ho(s)tel, try checking with them to see if they have any adaptors (my last hotel actually had universal outlets built-in to the walls).

>- I'm looking for a soap container that actually makes sense. I swear they're always massive and take up more space than they need to + your soap gets all soggy because it's just swimming in soap water
Use a plastic zip-lock bag. That solves the space problem.

As for the moisture, that is gonna be a difficult one. Non-porous containers are going to hold moisture, like it or not. A soap container can't be porous, otherwise water will leak out. If you're still going with my plastic bag idea, you could try putting something in there to mitigate the moisture. Maybe a dense sponge, or a tiny fabric/canvas bag full of sand/rice/silica. Or wrap your soap in a small towel/handkerchief

>- favourite brand for travel size bottles for liquids?
I've thought about doing something like that for when I did my minimalist traveling, but I decided to take it a step further. I just didn't pack any liquids at all. I used the soap & shampoo in my hotel room, and I bought a small tube of toothpaste at a grocery store.
>>
>>1227618
>bringing spices to Asia
I haven't laughed this hard since Business/First-class cabin gyms.
>>
>>1228149
>the soap container is my biggest interest out of these, if anyone knows any better solution, other than just bringing shower gel, i'm very interested.
There are travel soaps that come in single-use pieces. You could get yourself a tin of those. Take one piece with you to the shower, and keep the rest in a dry place. I haven't actually researched prices yet, but I imagine they cost a little more because of the gimmick. I suppose you could just take a normal bar of soap and slice it yourself.
>>
File: 2014-05-20-travelon.jpg (745KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-05-20-travelon.jpg
745KB, 1920x1080px
>>1228433
If slices of soap are still too thick for you, they come in even thinner pieces.
>>
/r/Ultralight/
>>
For the soap, I just use regular soap bars and cut them up into thin single/short use bars. Then just use ziplock bags.
>>
>>1228428
Doesn't that much extra weight make it way more expensive for the airplane?
>>
>>1228817
I saw these all over the place, but for me these are too thin...
>>1228433
This is a great idea, thanks! I'll just slice and portion my own.
>>
File: 31Iv3OeGANL._SY450_.jpg (13KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
31Iv3OeGANL._SY450_.jpg
13KB, 450x450px
>>1227508

>https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-UL03-A-Universal-Travel-Adapter/dp/B00210MRGC

Have I got the adapter for you

https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-UL03-A-Universal-Travel-Adapter/dp/B00210MRGC
>>
File: Untitled.png (15KB, 944x192px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
15KB, 944x192px
>>1230228
Heads-up, though.

When most people shop for an adaptor, they're usually only looking at the plugs, and not so much how they actually work.

Don't get me wrong, your suggestion could still be very much useful to OP, provided the voltage at his destination isn't different from what he gets at home.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.