[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 27

File: wpid-2014-10-24-13-48-47.png (1MB, 1058x748px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-2014-10-24-13-48-47.png
1MB, 1058x748px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1218210
>>
Given the choice of going to Japan right now or a month from now what would you do? Are the OMG CHEERY BLOSSOMS worth the hype, the massive amount of tourists, and the challenge of finding a place to stay? or am I better off avoiding all of this and going now?
>>
i met someone recently that lived in japan for 5 months. she took a week long trip to south korea and loved it way more, saying japan was "conservative" and way more into "rules." she felt like she was doing everything wrong and being judged/stared at in public. she felt she had way more freedom in korea. in addition, the korean people were louder and chattier. any anons have thoughts on this?
>>
>>1220804
Month from now, you can't even tell if it's busy or not Tokyo always has fucktons of people.
>>
>>1220806
I think she's mixing the two up since koreans love themselves some fucking rules. Definitely louder though, if you're into that kind of thing.
>>
>>1220806
koreans are vermin tbqh
>>
>>1220804
Cold as fuck right now. Go later
>>
Planning a ~9 days trip to Japan with my family (5 of us) in June
3 days in Kansai region (based in Osaka maybe, going around Kyoto and Nara)
6 days in Tokyo

Things we want to see
Tempozan Ferris Wheel
Universal Studios Japan
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Osaka Castle
Osaka city hall
Nishinomaru Garden
Dotonbori River
Kaiten Sushi
Pokemon center (?)
Kinkaku-ji
Arashiyama Bamboo Forest
Togetsukyo Bridge
Nara
Heijo Palace
Nara Park+Todaiji
Nagoya
Nagoya Castle

Mount Fuji / Lake Kawaguchiko

Tokyo
Disney Sea Japan
Ueno Zoo
Yanaka Old Town - Around Ueno Park
Tokyo Tower
Yoyogi Park
Asakusa Senso-ji
Ikebukuro
Akihabara
Ginza
Shibuya
Hachiko Statue
Shinjuku Cross

Feasible enough? Recommendations/changes?
>>
>>1220875
Planning quite a similar trip myself in july. Haven't been yet so can't offer much, however I do wonder a little if you'll have room in nine days for all that. Have you checked into how long each of those will take and whether they can be fit into a day with several other things as well as sleep, food, travel, etc?

Also, apart from that, do you mean to climb Fuji or just see it? Climbing season starts in July.
>>
>>1220895
Don't think we'll have room for most of them lol, probably gonna have to split up for and remove certain things. Two theme parks is definitely too much, we probably will only visit one. I'm leaning towards USJ since there will be NGE stuff but my sisters may be more into Disney sea. We're arriving in Osaka in the morning though so may have a bit extra time. Fuji I'm pretty sure no one in my family want to climb (I'm content enough just snapping a picture from the train).
>>
How the fuck is Japan so expensive. There for 13 days and the cheapest hostels I could get and it's going to be like $700aud. Food is still expensive there too from what I've seen, it's not like SEA or China where you can get a good feed for under $5. Also the rail pass is like $350aud for 7 days ? How is the country still afloat and so expensive when they have the highest debt to gdp ratio in the world?
>>
>>1220909
From what I've heard disneysea is unbeatable, people seem to think it's the best in the world
>>
>>1220910
where the fuck are you looking that you only find hostels for that price? They usually run in the 20-30$ per night category

Also nobody is forcing you to get the rail pass, there are cheaper options to go around

>Food is still expensive there too from what I've seen, it's not like SEA or China where you can get a good feed for under $5.
then why don't you travel to SEA or China fuccboi? It's like complaining about high prices in New York compared to Mexico
>>
>>1220759

What's the best english teaching gig there? US here I'm finishing up a TEFL and have a degree. Really want to go to Japan.
>>
>>1220917
Because there are no hostels for $20-30 when we are going, cheapest is $40, in Tokyo there is nothing less than $60. I was just asking how the fuck is it so expensive no need to weeb out. Their economy is in the toilet and everything is still expensive as fuck, even in rural areas. It is an oddity in Asia.
>>
File: IMAG1278.jpg (779KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1278.jpg
779KB, 1520x2688px
There is now a /trv/Japan LINE group!
If you would like to join, email your LINE ID to:

trv4chan@gmail dot com
>>
>>1220917
Oh and the train works out cheaper than flights because internal flights are retarded in Japan half the time we had to fly back to Tokyo to then fly back out again which made them more expensive than the train. Taking a bus would eat up too much time and I would have to cut a city or even two out.
>>
>>1220910
>japanese food expensive
o i am laffin
>>
>>1220973
Unless you are eating out of the family mart? 1000~ yen for ramen in a restaurant? Relative to the rest of Asia that isn't cheap.
>>
Moving there to live and work for at least one year, probably more, well paid position (not English teaching). Office near shibuya. I'm thinking I should just totally avoid commuting and try to find a studio apartment as close as possible to office and walk to work, because I've seen how crowded the trains can get and I'm really not into that. Only catch there is maybe there's some alternative fast/long distance train route that is not that crowded and is a guaranteed seated kind of setup like shinkasen or something of the sort?

Priorities for me are not having to deal with rush hour train jamming twice a day every day, extremely fast Internet (would like gigabit if possible) and an apartment big enough for a desk, chair, couch, queen sized bed and big wall mount TV, western style bathroom with a high pressure hot water shower, kitchen negotiable. Don't want a dump, but not a conspicuous consumer out to impress house guests trying to guess how much money I make either. Single and planning to remain that way permanently. Would be a bonus if I could own a dog or a cat but not a deal breaker.

Should I restrict my searching to a walkable radius around the Shibuya office, or are there other options that better fit my criteria?

Where is the best place to actually look for such an apartment?
>>
>>1220975
>3rd world country is cheap in comparison
wow colour me surprised
>>
>>1220932
it's your fault for travelling at a busy time

>It is an oddity in Asia.
because it's a first world country holy shit.
>>
Going in late march, early april. Definitely bringing my coat, but had a few questions.

Planning to stay in Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima.

Have 5 days in Tokyo and i'm a bit overwhelmed about what I'd like to see, there is simply too much. I've looked at the sticky but its only added to my problem - anyone have some suggestions for things you just CANT miss in Tokyo?

I'm not much of a weeb, but I dig some anime and will probably be trying to go to Aki. I love nature and culture, but I feel like there are so many shrines I'm not sure which one to pick..
Would also love to do some shopping but I heard Roppongi is crowded and terrible..Shibuya worth a stop, then?
Is Skytree just a tourist trap? I've heard going to Tokyo Tower is a nightmare.

Thanks in advance for any advice, hope everyone has a safe trip
>>
>>1220983
>Is Skytree just a tourist trap? I've heard going to Tokyo Tower is a nightmare.
A lot of people get too used to going on yamanote and not going on subway lines which might be why that is said. It is easy to get to just as long as you read the google map directions for which line/stops you need to take. Good luck!
>>
>>1220980
>>1220981
>Japan
>First world

Guys I get you are massive weebs and have a hard on for the country, but come on. Western European countries are cheaper, even in their busy summer period. Japan is expensive no matter which way you look at it.

Holy fuck, never make a remark about Japan that could be misconstrued as painting it in a negative light.
>>
>>1220992
they're not though and Japan isn't expensive if you aren't retarded. But well yeah, you know
>>
Japan is one of the most expensive places in Asia, that is common knowledge though. Can you retards shut up now.
>>
>>1220910
Bruh,
1) Airbnb is your friend
2) Japan is more expensive than sea, but it's the same as, say, Hungary vs France. Got my point?
3) Go to the rest of sea, why wasting your time on a country which annoys you even prior to the trip
Ps get a better job you broke fuck, 1000 yen is less than 10 bucks
>>
Going to be in Japan for about a month in early December. Trying to figure out what to do in Hokkaido for a few days. So far I have Sapporo, Hakodate, Chitose, and probably staying in Niseko. Any recommendations to add to my list for cool places to visit? Mostly interested in nature and architecture.
>>
>>1221008
You spelled anime wrong
>>
>>1220987
>A lot of people get too used to going on yamanote and not going on subway lines
This is what happens when you get a JR pass every trip
>>
>>1220806
Sure, if you like gossip and hate. Japanese are actually more chill. Working there is god-awful though, so she's probably just comparing daily life to tourist life.
>>
Going tomorrow, first time traveling alone. Wish me luck!
>>
>>1221047
Good luck anon you're gonna have fun
>>
>>1221047
if you're worried about flying take some dramamine desu
and listen to dramamine by modest mouse when you do it
>>
>>1221048
Thanks anon, I hope so.

Going to bed now. Won't sleep much though, too excited!
>>
Got my eyes set on Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan. Fuck the Olympics.

Anyone else?
>>
>>1221114
The area it's in is super nice, if you do go I'd suggest renting a car and driving along the coast. It's also very far from tokyo, six hours by train including a 3 hour shinkansen ride then a 3 hour local train ride
>>
>Anon shocked that Japan is expensive
>More anons screeching that Japan isn't expensive

You cunts have bought into this Japan meme pretty hard. I would say Japan is inline with the more expensive european countries like France. It is by no means cheap if you are doing it on a budget. It is worth every cent though.
>>
>>1220977
out of curiosity, are you working in finance? and do you speak japanese?
>>
>>1220977
I'm also a foreigner who works at an office in Shibuya. I live in Akasaka.

Living in that area is going to be very expensive since Shibuya is surrounded by the important parts of the city. If you can afford it then skipping the commute is worth it.
>>
>>1221171

Yes. Not yet.
>>
>>1221212

Thanks for the info. There's definitely only the two options of bad train commute vs walking distance studio? Everything else doesn't measure up?

If that's the case I'll definitely grab a studio nearby. Do you have a recommendation for a website to search on?
>>
>>1220922
First decide whether you want to teach at an Eikaiwa (specialized English conversation school) or as an ALT at public schools. Each position has its pros and cons regardless of the company.
>>
>>1220875
3 days is literally nothing. I stayed a week in Osaka and went to Nara/ Kyoto (2 days)/ Hiroshima via JR pass and even then it was rushed, I didnt even go to Nagoya.

If you want to see the basics, Kyoto is probably 2 days min by itself. Your Tokyo itinerary is doable, if you are basically walking through half the places, basically you will be rushing through everything. It would also be a ton of walking, if you are going with anyone older.

If you have 3 days in Kansai, I would stay in Kyoto and do a day trip to Osaka.
>>
>>1221238
What are the Kyoto basics? Mostly temples? Don't think my family would want to visit more than 1 temple, bet they think it all look the same.
>>
>>1220875

Ueno Zoo is very lacking if you have a decent zoo in your own country, unless you REALLY want to see the pandas or whatever.

I'd spend that time at the museum instead.
>>
When is it best to buy flight tickets? Airfare to Japan is obscenely expensive where I am from so whatever discount I could get would be great.
>>
>>1221290
Zoo in my country are generally bad (Indonesia) but I've been to good zoos (Chester, Jersey, Edinburgh. London). I don't really care about lazy expensive bamboo eating mammal (although, again, my sisters). I'm collecting keychains from zoos though.
>>
>>1221303
I mean, the zoo is "nice" as things in japan tend to be, but I didn't really like it because while some animals have huge exhibits (pandas, polar bears) some others have reaaally tiny ones (pretty much all the african animals).

Also, I assume it's your sisters who want to go to ikebukuro? If so, do try to get a reservation at Swallowtail. Girls have a blast there and their desserts are fucking delicious.
>>
>>1221308
Actually I'm the weeb in the family, just want to visit the evangelion store and try to locate some Durarara landmarks, but is Akiba just overall better for weeb stuff? Any good recs for maid cafes?
>>
>>1221349
Akiba has buildings with 10 floors of weeb shit. It can't be walked through in one whole day.
>>
>>1221374
Maybe that's for another time then. Just wanna visit the essentials with my family now (and I'm also the only one that barely understand Japanese)
>>
>>1221292
It may depend on where you're from and what you're looking for.

Last time I checked a 5-month window seemed to yield the cheapest direct flights from Germany.
>>
>>1221224
Starting a master in finance in September, how did you find the job? any suggestion for future opportunities/application.
>>
File: whale shark.jpg (533KB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
whale shark.jpg
533KB, 1613x1210px
>>1220875
>Tempozan Ferris Wheel
since you're going to be right there go to the osaka aquarium and see the whale sharks.

>>1220983
>skytree vs tokyo tower
fuck 'em both. go to the tokyo metropolitan government building. its observation deck is free.
>>
>>1220875
>>1221456
especially considering you can get a joint aquarium/ferris wheel ticket. a word of warning: check the weather because the day we went the ferris wheel was closed due to high winds. fortunately the aquarium was our primary interest.
>>
Booked my flights today from Dublin in early June (£670 return). How cheap can living costs be in Tokyo, not including travel or accommodation.
>>
So what are people's experiences with pocket wi-fi? Flying into Narita and I'll be traveling around for 2 weeks. What's my best option?
>>
>>1221476
>living costs
>not including travel or accommodation.
So just food?
Anything from 1000-10000 yen per day
>>
>>1221482
Never underestimate the annoyance of having a second battery-powered device you have to carry around and worry about dying.
>>
How come Akiba takes so long to do? How long do I need to set aside for it?
>>
File: 678.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
678.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1221458
>>1221456
Yeah, definitely go see the Aquarium.

There's also a "Kaiyu Ticket" that gets you an aquarium ticket and a day ticket for the Osaka metro system (and/or optionally another local railroad), plus various discounts in Tempozan.

You have to request it at a metro station. Just find the guy watching the stairs and tell him you want to buy it and he'll point the way; we actually had to go find the station master's office in some far-off corner of the station...
see:
http://www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng/kaiyu.html
>>
>>1221490
What a useless comment
>>
File: 1388258977962.jpg (58KB, 423x343px) Image search: [Google]
1388258977962.jpg
58KB, 423x343px
Heya Japan General,

Have any of you guys done homestays in japan as an adult? I'm 29 and would like to do a homestay for 4-5 weeks this year. I was looking to maybe apply thru homestay-in-japan.com (run by NEXTAGE.)

Can any of you provide insight into homestay programs and if this is a good one?
>>
>>1221494
There's a fuckton of densely packed shops. Maps are misleading; the street might look small but a lot of stores aren't on the ground floor.
How much time you spend there depends on how broad your interests are/what you want to do there.

I'm a big buyfag and I like to check out pretty much everything at least once during a trip. Takes me around 4 days though I spread it out throughout the trip since Akiba closes relatively late.

Obviously you'll need less time if you don't like cosplay, train models, arcades and so on.
If you just want to hit the big stores then you could probably do it in a day.

There are also various "services" to try out but most of them won't be accessible if you don't speak Japanese.

>>1221482
>>1221504
He has a point. It's one extra thing taking up space, adding weight and needing to be kept charged. I prefer to rent a sim card with data instead.
>>
>>1220992
>Japan
>not first world
What the fuck is your definition of first world then? Cambodia?
>>
>>1221506
Is there an Akiba guide I can look through to get a sense of which places are must sees and which aren't really relevant to me?
>>
>>1221506
>It's one extra thing taking up space, adding weight and needing to be kept charged

I'm actually totally fine with all of those.

>I prefer to rent a sim card with data instead.

Any ones in particular you recommend?
>>
>>1221482
my sister-and-law brought one and it was great. she left before we did and we missed it. if we ever go back we're bringing one.
>>
>>1221490
>a second battery-powered device
So, something that doesn't drain your cellphone battery. What a goddamn inconvenience, having a battery saver with me all the time.

>>1221482
Ranges from excellent to can't even upload a 5KB PNG depending on your location. Works wonderfully in Tokyo and Osaka and the battery lasts one full day. Might want to power it off when you're not using it.
>>
>>1221525
Get the b-mobile one with the fish if you can, or just go to a Bic Camera and look for the prepaid SIM section and buy whatever looks better for you costwise.
>>
>>1221525
Unless you want to use a laptop/tablet in public or want to share between a group I'd still recommend the sim. Cuts out the wifi middleman so to speak.

I have only used Easygojapan who were fine speed/coverage-wise in Kyoto/Tokyo. Unlimited* data meant I didn't have to keep track of my usage which is nice when you're on holiday.
If you don't think you'll use that much data/day there are cheaper options out there.
>>
>>1221559
>something that doesn't drain your cellphone battery
A small card won't drain your phone battery unless you share the internet to other devices.
>>
I have the opportunity to study abroad in Osaka Spring 2018.

What are some of the fun things to do in Osaka for a college student? I'm a bit of a normie.
>>
>>1221506
I wanted to swap out my SIM with a rental while I'm there in April, but AT&T are being absolute cunts. My phone is a company phone, and the AT&T plan for 1 month international roaming is $120 (company was pretty adamant on paying for this) for 800mb of data, which I'm pretty sure I'd blow through in 23 days in Japan.

I wanted to unlock the phone for a rental SIM, but AT&T refused because it was still on contract and according to them, even if I payed early cancellation they would not unlock the phone unless I cancelled the current line and put it on a new phone number.

At this point, for 23 days is my best bet a mobile wifi or is renting a phone in Japan a viable option?
>>
>>1221506
>There's a fuckton of densely packed shops

This is an understatement.

> ask clerk if they have X series
> she gestures towards a whole shelf of related stuff
> tells me to search "over there"
> the hall is so small that me and one girl take up the whole space in front of the shelf
>>
>>1221521
Not that I know of but you can have this http://pastebin.com/J4CY8DdY.

Otherwise travel blogs and browsing Google Maps would be your best bet. Quite a few of the buildings have websites attached and there's even streetview in a few stores.
>>
File: 1447707387582.jpg (103KB, 552x338px) Image search: [Google]
1447707387582.jpg
103KB, 552x338px
>>1221521
Liberty 7 and 9 (+some random store with a blue/white sign just inbetween), Jungle, Radio Kaikan, Mulan Recycle and Mandarake are the names you should go for.
In every store skip the first floor.

Also be sure to check out Nakano, its much smaller and easy to navigate - a few floor of random shops.
>>
I'm going to take a semester in Japan and I'm looking into data only SIM cards but googling how to acquire them makes it seem like buying one is a huge deal for some reason. Here you can just buy a card with a number for 7 dollars and even get some prepaid money with it.

Anyone has experience with this? My phone is an unlocked android, I'll be arriving at Narita. And I need to have some data to keep my families nerves and worries calm down. Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>1221613
Note that even if I didn't list them under a category, a lot of these stores do overlap.

Also these aren't necessarily recommendations. E.g.
Maidreamin might be (relatively) english friendly but it also simultaneously makes it more of a tourist trap.
Lamarr has so much random shit crammed in that it's kinda fun to check out but they tend to be priced more, play obnoxiously loud music outside and is _the_ #1 most cramped store in Akiba.
I also don't collect train models, trading cards etc. so I just threw in what stood out to me.
>>
Can anyone recommend nice train lines around Tochigi, Ibaraki and Fukushima?

I'm spending a couple of weeks going around those prefectures in June. I've roughly planned what I want to do, I'm just trying to work out a nice way of joining it all together. I'd love to spend some time slowly going down small local lines.
>>
>>1221634
I don't know about trains well but googled and found some trains look nice.
I'm glad if it helps you.

Tadami Line(Fukushima - Niigata)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadami_Line

Aizu Railway(Fukushima)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aizu_Railway

Steam Locomotive Banetsu Monogatari(Fukushima - Niigata)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banetsu_Monogatari

Karasuyama Line(Tochigi)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karasuyama_Line

Watarase Keikoku Line(Tochigi - Gunma)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watarase_Keikoku_Line

Mooka Line(Tochigi - Ibaraki)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooka_Line

Aizu Kinugawa Line(Tochigi - Fukushima)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagan_Railway#Aizu_Kinugawa_Line
>>
>>1221647

Thanks, that's awesome. I had half of those already, but they look amazing.

I found a beautiful album of pictures from the Watarase Keikoku Line, so that's certainly on the list.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hayakawa/sets/72157629255094554
>>
>>1220804
Anymore anons have thoughts on this? are the cherry blossoms very much worth seeing in person?
>>
>>1221668
Also do hostels fill up for April? Should I be booking in advance?
>>
>>1221253
Basics as in pretty much what the OP listed.
>>
I'm going for 2 weeks in Tokyo in less than 2 weeks. Incredibly excited.

One of the main reasons I'm going is to check out lots of game centers. Obviously Taito Hey etc are must-sees, but what's worth looking for outside of Akihabara --any good lists or resources?
>>
>>1221690
I was in a shop specialized in retro gaming in Akihabara, I think it was called Mr. Potato. Apparently it's pretty famous but I wouldn't know as I'm not into vg that much.
Anyway it was pretty fun
>>
>>1221692

Yeah, Super Potato. I'm definitely checking it out.
>>
Im flying to tokyo in a few weeks and Im wondering where I can and cant pay using a european creditcard; for example can I buy and recharge a prepaid subway card with?
>>
>>1221690
should go to "Anata no Warehouse, Kawasaki"
>>
I dont suppose the odds are very good but anyone else in Osaka right now?
>>
Going Tokto next week for 8 days and travelling alone.

Everyone ive told seem to think travelling alone is wierd

Is this a meme?
>>
>>1221589
Have you never used mobile data in your whole life? It drains your battery like no other thing. WiFi isn't as bad.
>>
>>1221721
Don't worry I've met many solo traveller everywhere in Japan.
>>
>>1221711

Looks pretty cool, thanks!
>>
>>1221721
Travelling alone is amazing, as long as you leave all your insecurities behind.
I'm this guy >>1221718 and I feared it would be lonely going solo. I had already had a solid day of sightseeing and as I was walking around Dotonbori at night, desperately hoping to meet someone to hang out with (even asking you fuckers, as you can see), lo and behold: two really cute nip girls walk up to me and ask me out to drink with them. No shitting. Had a great time, sung kareoje and shit.

10/10 first day, 12 more to go!
>>
>>1221764
Speaking of karaoke, what do if my voice is beyond shit-tier? Also how did you go about sing jap songs?

I'm scared shitless of being invited to karaoke.
>>
>>1221767
I sang bohemian rhapsody and the final count down, the nips had never heard them, it was hilarious.
If you suck at singing then just sing like shit and laugh it off. It's about having fun not giving a performance. Showmanship is a plus though.
>>
>>1221773
Disclaimer: I make it sound as if I know shit but this is a first for me all over: First solo vacation, first day in japan ever, first time singing karaoke, etc. I was nervous too but fuck just do it. It's fun. You have nothing to lose.
>>
How reliable are coin locker in stations? Would you leave them there, travel the entire day and then pick it up after you finish to go check in @ your hotel/airbnb?
>>
Is it easy to find friends, Japanese or Foreign students, in Osaka?
>>
>>1221824
I've left things there over night. Hell I left an umbrella that couldn't fit into the locker next to the locker over night and no one touched it. But there's always a chance that the lockers may be full so it depends on season and station.
>>
Any other solo travelers in Japan late March/early April?
>>
>>1220910
>$700aud

How is that expensive you fucking cunt, that's like one week of minimum wage work in Australia. Fucking christ you people.
>>
Booked a trip months ago due to super cheap flights, without doing any research. Now I find out there is a week long holiday called "Golden Week", directly over my trip time.

How fucked am I? Anything I should do differently/avoid? Tokyo and Kyoto, by the way. Hotels are booked.
>>
>>1221970
>people don't have bills and can put 100% of their money from work into savings

Your parents are still paying for anything meaningful aren't they?
>>
>>1221994
How can you not afford so save up 700 ausbucks? If you want some cheap holiday in asia just go to Bali with the rest of the trash and spare us your whining.
>>
>>1221956

Yep, me. 20th to the 5th, staying in Asakusa.
>>
>>1221970
>>1221996
>Weebing out because hostels in the country are expensive as fuck.

You're just proving him right, Japan is an expensive country to travel to, there is no cheap realistic way to do Japan.
>>
>>1221989
Yeah and hotels will be even more expensive. Good luck anon, hotels will probably run you $100usd a night or more and they will be pretty average. In Tokyo and Kyoto anyway.
>>
>>1221996
$700 itself isn't overly expensive if you only travel to one country per year. My holiday leave pays for it, but when you consider most of these hostels aren't even up to standard with SEA hostels, and are more expensive than Australian and New Zealand hostels, you have to ask why.

Sorry for insulting your precious Japan weebsan. Maybe one day, you can visit other countries and see that Japan is fairly expensive.
>>
It is better to be more expensive since it keeps poorfags out. Lower wealth is strongly correlated with lower education, and higher rates of crime.
>>
>>1222060
Sure why is Japan's GDP per capita so low then?
>>
So today I had a couple of hours for myself in Miyazaki city.

>walk around just looking at things
>women straight up cross the street to not walk past me
>walk at the same pace as a girl on the other side of the street
>she looks back at me, stops, and only continues after I've walked past her

So apparently I'm a rapist now.

But that's not the worst.
>go to Mr. Donut for a cup of coffee and a hot ice donut
>just sitting and reading a sci-fi classic, minding myself
>hear incessant giggling from two girls at a table across from me
>they have their backs turned so pay them no mind
>giggling continues
>look up
>they're taking selfies of themselves with me in the background
>get up, leave

I'm starting to dislike this place.

The men tend to be bros, though.
>>
>>1222086
What do you look like?
>>
>>1222088
Husky scandinavian, no beard, slick back brown hair.

Imagine a fatter Ben Affleck with a rounder chin.
>>
>>1222014
>>1222037
we've been over this, Japan is a first world country, stop comparing prices there to some 2nd or 3rd world South East Asian shithole you daft cunt
>>
>>1222086
the girl in the first story might have just wanted to be considerate and let you pass as she thought you are faster than her

the two girls in the 2nd story probably just thought you were cute/exotic
>>
>>1222086
Don't take it personally. In singapore airport some tiny chink girls came up and asked for a photo with them for no reason.
>>
>>1222097
The girl in the first story was on the opposite sidewalk.

And I highly doubt it. It was spiteful giggling, the kind you heard in high school when girls were gossiping about the loser nerd.

>>1222099
I'm okay with photos when they fucking ask me for it.

Had a very cute high schooler who stayed with her parents at the hotel I'm at and saw me a couple of times ask for one shyly. I happily obliged.
>>
>>1222094
>Compare prices to Australia and New Zealand
>Still expensive
>Stop comparing prices to SEA

B-b-but I am comparing them to first world countries which are notorious for being expensive.

Japan is still expensive as fuck to travel to, and to travel in.
>>
Are the Kansai cities close enough together that I could stay in one of them and use it as a base to spend a few days visiting it and the rest?
>>
Is Nara just deers?

>>1220934
Check your god damn email
>>
>>1222123
>avg. dorm price in Sydney: 25-40€
>avg. dorm price in Tokyo: 25-40€

oh wow huge difference!
>>
>>1222086
Don't be so self-conscious. It's normal to not walk near other people, especially the opposite sex. People cross the road all the time to give the other person more space. And men really do follow women there. She's probably just a little weary because she's met some creeps. It doesn't make you a creep, she just doesn't want to take the chance and deal with that again.

As for your Mr. Donut experience, shame on you for eating at Mr. Donut. It tastes kind of bad. And don't worry about girls. They think you look exotic and are too shy to ask for pictures. Plus, it's better than people sneaking pictures of your ass. My ass doesn't even look nice. Why, Japanese people?
>>
>>1220804
>>1221668
actually I think its worth it for the festivities. Go to Yoyogi and get drunk
>>
>>1222137
Yeah exactly anon, that is my point. Japan is expensive. You keep crying like it isn't. So shut the fuck up and go back to your anime and dreaming about maid cafes.
>>
>>1222147
jesus christ, my point is of course it's fucking expensive, it's a first world country you stupid imbecile. You kept crying that it isn't as cheap as other countries in Asia or Southeast Asia. Like holy shit, are you really this dumb?
>>
>>1222101
Told ya you're fucking fat.
And a namefag.
I hope you'll get as much bullying as possible
>>
>>1222018
Already booked all my hotels, basically after taxes a fees, they averaged $104/night. I figure if I plan my travel ahead, and possibly reserve JR pass seats for the Tokyo/Kyoto round trip, I might be ok. It will be pretty cool to see what the holidays look like too
>>
File: 1467456859067.jpg (14KB, 313x313px) Image search: [Google]
1467456859067.jpg
14KB, 313x313px
Anyone ever fake a degree for a job? I've had hiring positions for IT work (American companies) but damn...still have a year left on my degree...
>>
>>1222009

Me too, at least for the first few nights. 24/M/UK.
>>
>>1222173
Lies about your skill set and experience are possible.

Lies about academic degrees are very easily found out and are a BAD IDEA.

Many companies literally have a requirement that all degrees are verified before job offer made.
>>
File: JET-programme-banner-2.png (33KB, 804x477px) Image search: [Google]
JET-programme-banner-2.png
33KB, 804x477px
Anyone applying for the JET Program this year? Anyone hear any results yet?
>>
File: Coffee.jpg (7KB, 226x166px) Image search: [Google]
Coffee.jpg
7KB, 226x166px
Can I get some advice on teaching english in Japan? I've heard a lot of negative thing about this, but it was all on youtube. Who knows what people are saying for views and money. I would like to get some first hand experience on teaching there.

How hard was it?

What was your typical day like?

Did you need to know Japanese? I can read it, but I have a hard time hearing it still.

Did you get your bills comped? If not, what did you have to pay for?

How much free time did you have?

Any problems?

Who did you stay with, where did you stay, how was it?

Would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.
>>
Going by myself, I spent $650 on a roundtrip ticket, $700 for hotel, going for 10 days. Could have easily trimmed hotel down and airbnb it but decided to take the hotel. Arriving on the 12. Leaving 24th, staying akasuka, anyone down I can meet up.
>>
>>1222277
Who did you go through to get a $650 ticket? The cheapest I found was over $1000 and I scheduled for 3 months out.
>>
>>1222283
Not that guy, and I don't know where you're based, but my brother also got a $600~ ticket. We're flying LAX-HND, and he booked about 6 months out.
>>
>>1222350
I don't know about him but I'm flying from Orlando to LAX to Tokyo. Watched tickets for over 7 months and never saw anything belong ~900 when all the ticket prices were put together.
>>
>>1222359
I found LAX to have pretty much the best prices in the states for direct flights. I'm actually based in Atlanta, and flying to and from LAX on a separate ticket from the international itinerary was cheaper than putting it all in one.
>>
>>1222283
I got a ticket for ~$750 out of DC, only 2 months in advance. When I was looking at tickets that were at BWI, they were more like $1000+. I guess look around at various airports you can reach because airline partnerships seem to work wonders
>>
>>1222149
I didn't mention SEA, I said Australia and New Zealand...

To be fair though, Japan is still more expensive than say Seoul, Taiwan, First tier cities in China, KL, Hong Kong, maybe Singapore too.

Japan probably is the most expensive Asian country to do on a budget. So even when comparing Japan to other first world parts of Asia, it's still expensive relative to other cities within its geographical location and economic status.
>>
>>1222086
"Reading a sci-fi classic at a cafe" XD i really hope you are fat!
>>
>>1222156
hahahah you tell him mah dude!
>>
Any advice for financial dealings in japan?

I've been told cash is a more common way to pay for things in Japan and preferred over cards. I'd rather not carry around a bunch of yen around though, and would prefer to get some pre-paid American Express cards, but not sure how it would work or how transfer rates from USD to YEN would be.

Any advice?
>>
>>1222268
>bump on input
>>
>>1222392
Get used to carrying around a lot of yen. It's unlikely you're going to get mugged in Japan.

For big stores or places used to dealing with tourists/expensive items then they _might_ accept the major companies (Visa, Mastercard etc.) I have no idea about American Express.
>>
>>1222268
I'm an ALT or AET as my company calls it

>How hard was it?

I personally think its really easy. Unless you have previous experience as a teacher you will suck at it for a while but will get better.

>What was your typical day like?

Get to work at 8:30, sometimes later depending on the school. I sometimes get to work at like 11:00 if I have no early classes. I usually leave work by about 1:00 or 2:00. Rarely I could leave as late as 4:30. I'm actually posting this from work. I teach two classes 45 minute classes today. Other than that Im just sitting around, bullshitting with other teachers in the teachers room.

>Did you need to know Japanese? I can read it, but I have a hard time hearing it still.

I do speak Japanese but it is 100% not required and is actively discouraged to use while at work. At least with the kids. With the other teachers is okay but not expected.

>Did you get your bills comped? If not, what did you have to pay for?

The company will compensate your transportation expenses and 500 yen worth of misc stuff each month. You get nothing else. You technical work 29.5 hours a week, which is .5 hours below where they have to give benefits, so they don't pay for health insurance or pension. Other than that you gotta pay electric, water, maybe gas if you have it, internet, cellphone, rent, and eventually taxes. You can ignore pension if you want. They will call you about it like once every two months but nothing else will happen.

>How much free time did you have?

Tons

Any problems?

Not really. I was in the country before working as an ALT and could speak Japanese so apartment hunting was easy for me, but I have a friend who got placed somewhere by the company and it was mega far from his schools so I had to help him find a new one.

>Who did you stay with, where did you stay, how was it?

You are in charge of that.
>>
>>Would you recommend and why?

I like it a lot. Fun, easy, tons of free time, fairly good pay. Some people who are all about education get really pissy about the Japanese education system not working exactly how they want and make it their personal goal to fix it, and obviously cant. Some people also just end up not liking Japan.

One last note, ALT > eikaiwa. Better hours, similar pay or better pay, more fun, less actual work to do at work. ALT takes more energy though.
>>
>>1222392
Id just carry yen, its easier as some places dont take cards but they are still accepted in tons of places. Go with visa if you can instead of Amex. Your foreign ATM card will work at 7-11 ATMs which are literally like ever couple hundred feey in the city so just take some out when you need. Another option, at least for convenience store food and shit like that is to get a suica or pasmo card (assuming tokyo) and put some yen on there and you can use that to pay for things that arent just trains.
>>
>>1222421
>>1222420
Awesome thanks.
>>
>>1222415
>>1222422

Thanks all, I was thinking about taking 350,000 yen(3000ish USD) and using the rest on a card if I need it. Going for about 3 weeks, pretty sure that will be enough for me and my time there, but would like to be able to access more funds if for some reason. I'll probably stop by my bank and double check to ensure my card will work for my trip. I should since Wells Fargo is pretty damn big.
>>
>>1222444
>Wells Fargo
it'll work. i use wells fargo and was in japan a couple months ago. just call the bank a week or two before your trip and let them know you're going to japan so your card doesn't get flagged as stolen and locked when you suddenly start using it on the other side of the world.
>>
Hey anons,

Me and my friend will be staying at Ueno for about 7 days from may 30 - June 6.

We plan on going in a small budget, but trying out different authentic food and sight seeing.

One thing to note is that we want to avoid the night life as much as possible.

My questions are:

Did I pick a bad date to visit japan?

Could I have picked a better place to stay?

Are there any tourist traps I should avoid?

Is going to the prefectures worth for our 7-day trip?

Thanks in advanced, anons.
>>
>>1222392
Amex is not as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard. Get a Visa/Mastercard with no foreign transaction fees, and get a checking account with a bank that offers free checking account and no forex fees/ATM fees on their debit card. Charles Schwab does this, and I think Ally might as well. I hate carrying cash, so it was really convenient for me to pull some out when needed at any ATM I came across with no fees or other charges.
>>
>>1222449
I lived in Ueno for four years. I like it a lot. Its basically the center of shitamachi so its got a different feel than Shibuya or Shinjuku. Its a little dirtier, a little grittier, but is interesting in its own ways. Not much night life around there if night life to you is clubs and shit. But there are tons of bars and izakayas. lot of more shady shit as well. If you are a weeb its walking distance to akiba.
>>
>>1222449
That is getting mighty close to rainy season but hopefully it will be fine.
>>
>>1222068
Why is your IQ so low?
>>
>>1222134
Yes.
>>
>>1222458
Got him anon
>>
>>1222268
>How hard was it?
It's a piece of cake, but that depends a lot on your specific position (ALT versus teacher at an Eikaiwa - I'm an ALT) and your placement (I have a laid-back school system that doesn't ask much of ALTs).

>What was your typical day like?
Get up at 6.
Take the train to work (20 minutes).
Join the morning meeting in the teachers' room at around 8:20.
Have 3-5 classes during the day, usually 50 minutes each. There is a total of 6 classes per day, but only 5 on Wednesdays.
Eat lunch in the teachers' room, helping to serve everything and put dishes away afterward.
Make and check homework assignments between classes.
Clean with the students at the end of the day.
Leave work at around 4 and take the train home.
Buy groceries, cook dinner, take a bath, bed between 10 and 11.

>Did you need to know Japanese? I can read it, but I have a hard time hearing it still.
I do. It's not necessary at all, but it will help communication between you and the other teachers. The fact that you're putting effort into it is usually taken in high regard.

>Did you get your bills comped? If not, what did you have to pay for?
My company pays for my transportation, but that's it. I pay for the rest myself.

>How much free time did you have?
Quite a bit. I'm using some free time at work now to read books and practice art.
>>
>>1222506
>Any problems?
None worth pointing out, really. Just the occasional inconvenience - 'they don't have the cheese I like!' or 'when am I supposed to bow during this ceremony?'

>Who did you stay with, where did you stay, how was it?
I lived by myself, but you can definitely find a roommate if you want to. My company found me an apartment. It was brand new - I was the first tenant, and it was small but plenty for one person.

>Would you recommend and why?
For sure - IF you are open to new experiences and are okay with being out of your comfort zone. You can learn a ton about the culture and, in turn, about yourself. It's an opportunity for growth, and if you can form a bond with the students, it's something you'll never forget.
>>
I really need help on this one /trv/

I've been living in Shanghai the past month and want to travel to Japan in the next couple day(Osaka, Hiroshima, then work my way up to Tokyo)

PROBLEM is I lost my phone a couple weeks ago. I had a Chinese sim card with my old phone so it hasn't been that big of a deal, but I my old phone number back(Tmobile international plan it's the shit every US traveler on /trv/ should have it). Someone could go pick up my sim card from a store in the US, but need to ship it to Japan. Is there some place I can ship it to where I can go pick it up. Preferably in Tokyo

TLDR I need to ship a SIM card from the US to Japan but don't know where to send it to.
>>
>>1222523
I haven't tried this, but it's probably a start. Yamato is a delivery service in Japan.

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/receive/domestic/area/
>>
>>1222527
Seems like this is for bigger things. I basically need to send an envelope. Thanks tho
>>
>>1220759
>>Joining the Yakuza
I request more information on this subject.
>>
>>1222474
Which one if any would you say makes the best base of operations for visiting the area?

Also, I'm having trouble finding things to do there - I was able to easily find a week and a half's worth of interesting activities in Tokyo, but the sources I've been using to research Tokyo don't have that much to say about the rest of Japan. Any advice? We won't want to spend too much time in temples and we won't be drinking either, if that helps.
>>
>>1222559
I'm >>1220875 and we're considering staying in Osaka
>>
>>1222444
>300,000 yen for 3 weeks

Enjoy living poorly
>>
I want to go teach in Japan and I'm curious about the age limits on teaching there, does anyone know much about that?

I know I'm young enough to teach there for a bit, but I want to know how long I'll be able to do it before I'm considered "too old"

I'll be about 28 by the time I get there
>>
File: IMG_20170308_160424.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_160424.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
Guess people were right about JAL First. The hard product was great, but the service was lacking in some areas. Or maybe they just pay more attention to native Japanese. Still overall great though.
>>
>>1222559
I don't know. I just know that from Kyoto you can go to both Osaka and Nara easily and relatively cheaply. It should be entirely possible, even convenient, to use one of the cities as a base of operations.
Also, I recommend the Kyoto monkey park. Bit of a climb to get there but it was worth it. Cheap as fuck too.
>>
>>1222584
>1000 bucks a week in japan is "poor"

That's the amount in cash I am bringing, I could be wrong but from the research I've done 1000 for 1 week is pretty comfy even with the drinking, parties, and some of the anime stuff I want to buy.
>>
>>1222544
Don't do it. You'll get your teeth kicked in.
>>
>>1222598
I know people in their 50s still doing the whitey-teaches-nips gig. You're no where near the cut off point.
>>
>>1222707
Any photos of the food anon?

Sadly the standard of first class set by emirates and Etihad are too hard to match by most carriers.
>>
>>1222731
Careful anon, if you mention Japan is expensive some of the other people here sperg out telling you it's a

>first world country

$1000 should be fine as long as your accomodation is already paid for. $100 per day in expenses is pretty budget, anything more and you can splurge a bit
>>
>>1222745
>Careful anon, if you mention Japan is expensive some of the other people here sperg out telling you it's a

I'm not saying japan is a cheap place to go for everything at but I am also not looking to eat steak every night.

>$1000 should be fine as long as your accommodation is already paid for.

Flight and hotel and train pass paid for, mostly walking places as well. I'm doing about 3k USD=345,000 in yen, while using my card as a need more funds case which I have another 3k in which I don't mind spending at all.

I broke it down and it's roughly 145 USD a day over 21 days. Breaking it down in expenses I get for food:

500-700 yen for breakfast
1000-1500 yen for lunch
2500-4500 yen for dinner

So high estimate 7500yen/65USD for food depending, that leaves me around 9200yen/80USD to do whatever with or save it for the following day to spend. So assuming I don't go clubbing every single night while after eating kobe I should be around okay.

If anyone wants to chime in on my calculations I am all ears.
>>
>>1222751
With those food budgets you're eating steak for dinner bruh
>>
>>1222782
Probably, but I just felt it was best to overestimate than underestimate and fuck myself while I am there.
>>
I'm planning a trip this June, probably from 31st may to 8th June

It's my first time going abroad from the UK and I'm a bit confused about the whole process

I know the cost of flights and hotels and food and will pretty much be shopping in Akihabara

My question is, is it really as simple as buying the plane tickets and booking the hotel, then showing up to the airport to collect tickets, get on the plane then check into the hotel?

Is there no other paperwork or anything i need to do?
I can just buy tickets book a hotel and go?
>>
>>1222795
Yeah pretty much. You fill some forms on the plane that you hand over when you go through immigration. That's it.
Just make sure to get your JR-pass ASAP if you want it. I thought it was just like buying a regular ticket but apparently it's an entire bureaucratic process which takes several days. I was too late and had to go without it but it works fine anyway. Don't think it will be that much more expensive either.
>>
>>1222811
Thanks

ill probably try to get a hotel near akiba, if not i think the train rides from central tokyo to akiba are about 100-900 yen, which isnt much for me so i guess ill pass on the JR-pass
>>
>>1222814
I recommend walking as much as possible. You see more things and get more oppurtonities. Last night while walking across the entire city of Kyoto (no joke) to get home I had no less than three interesting encounters on the way. A great night became better because of it. Also it's free.
>>
>>1222795
>>1222811
>>1222814
>>1222816
First time organising a trip for myself to anywhere but the US - I'm also from UK - is there not a visa to be arranged? I'd assume Japan has a fairly rigorous process for filtering who they let into the country.
>>
>>1222831
Nope, UK British passport can have up to 90 days in Japan, but might need to show a return flight ticket so they know your going back eventually
>>
>>1222833
No ESTA-type thing or anything at all, I can just show up at the airport with a return ticket and they won't want a single thing more? That's good to hear.
>>
>>1222795
>>1222834
Also, they want to know the first place you stay. So make sure to book at least the first night in advance.
>>
could a gaijin really join the yakuza?
>>
>>1222843
They're full of korean scum, so why not.
>>
File: 319cda9dd6.png (59KB, 732x559px) Image search: [Google]
319cda9dd6.png
59KB, 732x559px
Hey I've found a cheap flight to japanfor me and my gf, but I am a bit concerned about the cost of living in japan (though we are university students, used to poverty.). Are these calculations sort of correct?

Airbnb = 50e*14 = 700e
Food = 30e*14 = 420e
Flight = 200e+150e = 350e
Bus between 2 cities = 150e
Total = 1570e
>>
>>1222795
>>1222831

> I could ask the consulate...
> or I could ask 4chan
> yeah, I'll ask 4chan
>>
>>1221764
how did the situation come along where you were invited by them? I want this to happen to me
>>
>>1222863
what website is this?
>>
>>1222456
Damn, so I guess I took a wrong date then?
>>
>>1222455
Whoa, 4 years?

Can you suggest me some things to do and places to eat at? Wouldn't want to spend money on some overrated crap.
>>
First time in Japan... it's very overwhelming and I'm not sure how I feel about certain things.

Walking down the street, no one looks at me or acknowledges me. Even the people giving out flyers and shit will go quiet and ignore me. And today I tried to go into a restaurant that smelled good, but the chef guy made a big X with his arms and shook his head.

I wonder if I am doing something offputting? How to make connections here?
>>
>>1222863
Why would you take the bus in Japan?
>>
>>1222914
>Even the people giving out flyers and shit will go quiet and ignore me
Happened to me to, it's so refreshing to not constantly get pestered with bullshit. It's because they assume you don't speak Japanese and therefore handing you out a flyer with Japanese text written on it or explaining it to you in Japanese would be pointless
>And today I tried to go into a restaurant that smelled good, but the chef guy made a big X with his arms and shook his head.
Happened to me as well. In my case it was because the restaurant was about to close and they didn't take any orders anymore (hard to explain if you don't speak the language)
>How to make connections here?
Go to places where there are young people who speak English (clubs, meetups, language exchange evenings) or otherwise meet people in hostels
>>
How many days in a hostel/hotel/airbnb would $650 get me in Tokyo? I want to stay somewhere between 7 and 15 days but I don't really want to spend much more than that on accommodation if possible.
>>
>>1222917
Thanks, I feel encouraged. I generally get along well with people, and even had some fun talking to a bar tender in Shibuya. Hostels are a good idea. My first two night are in a solo hotel room, but tomorrow I will set up a hostel.
>>
>>1222901
I was walking around Dotonbori at night. Admittedly, I suspect they worked for the place we went to and the true purpose was to make me spend money on drinks. Whatever their intentions they were nice and felt genuine. It was fun.
>>
>>1222918
Check AirBnB.
>>
>>1222872
I only asked because it was already being discussed.

>>1222918
That should be enough.
>>
>>1222918
Depending on the location it could get you easily 15 days. I got nearly 4 weeks for that price
>>
>>1222916
Its cheaper than a train
>>
Can anyone tell me about Biwako? Is the boating/watersports scene strong there? Also, which prefectures are best for hiking?
>>
>>1222914
>Walking down the street, no one looks at me or acknowledges me
I don't even acknowledge people I pass when the street's fairly empty, let alone in the city. Get with the times, gramps.
>>
>>1222920
How much did you spend on drinks to make it worth it for two (two!) people to spend the whole evening courting you?
>>
How do I join Aum Shinrikyo?
>>
>>1223037
Maybe ¥10 000. I have done worse for less value in my life.
>>
>>1222920
I heard the best way to get drunk for cheap is stop at small cart shops(forgot the name for some reason) and drink followed by going to an actual bar or club.

I've heard alcohol can be both expensive and cheap, not sure what to believe.
>>
>>1220977
Can you go into detail on this? Were you working for a company in your country and then transferred? I'm interested in working in Japan but not for English. I know working and living in Japan are completely different. Only interested in doing it for a couple years
>>
>>1222914
Dude he was just a fan of X Japan, headbanging, as you entered the restaurant
>>
>>1222914
I hope you don't look like an otaku weeb lord
>>
Ill be staying a week in tokyo, should i book a hotel in tokyo or odaiba, or would somewere else be better?
>>
>>1220910
I have my very own, fairly central, Tokyo appartment for less than ¥4000 a night via AirBnB. And I just ate myself full at Sukiya for ¥350.
Git gud.
>>
>>1222094
Actually the food in Japan was way cheaper than it was in Vietnam. I wish people would stop pushing the meme that 3rd world countries haven't been completely ruined by rich Amerifats who throw their money around and tip all the fucking time.
>>
>>1223109
Thanks for this post, here's 5 dollars.
>>
What other places are recommended for an /m/fag other than the obligatory GFT?
>>
File: azuchi02.jpg (405KB, 1000x639px) Image search: [Google]
azuchi02.jpg
405KB, 1000x639px
>>1223019
How can we help you, son? I'm not much of a boating/watersports person - more the history/arts/nature type, but I visited Lake Biwa maybe half a dozen times during a year based in Kyoto. There's a vast amount of history attaching to Lake Biwa.

That said, yes, there does seem to be a lot of boating on the lake, fishermen too along the shores. Never saw waterskiing, but there were marinas and resorts - a whole very ugly modern brothel district I discovered after walking across Biwako Bridge on its east end in search of the Sagawa Art Museum, which I did eventually find.

Marvellous things on Lake Biwa include Sakamoto, Hikone Castle (one of the few originals in Japan), Azuchi castle fortifications and wonderful archaeological museum in Azuchi, Otsu and the Otsu History Museum ... lots more out of the way things, too.

pic: view of Lake Biwa from Azuchi Castle ruins
n
>>
Hey guys, im about to be in japan for the first time next week, im pretty insecure so i got a question:

i know the whole "jap girls love white men" thing is a meme but i feel like i wont be able to get any girls even at clubs (in america i do okay with woman like i get them but nothing crazy, ive managed to fuck 4 and not be a tard) but i am 5'10, dark hair, dress well but only thing is i have slight acne and a little bit of red pigmentation scars but that worries me cause all i see is japanese girls with clear faces so i feel like they will not want to hookup at a club cause of it idk pretty stupid but would like real awnsers
>>
Sorry in advance for questions you probably get all the time.

I want to teach in Japan. I have a Bachelor of Arts. I do not have a TEFL/TESL degree.

My main questions are:

What is the best place to get a TEFL/TESL degree?

What are the best programs/best places to look to get a job teaching in Japan?
>>
>>1223204
Thats more your problem worrying than it is theirs

Whether you fuck any japs or not dont get blindsided and just enjoy yourself
>>
Is there a FAQ on travelling on a budget?

Im sure these are very frequently asked but whatever

1. How much should i save to go there for about 2 weeks? Im very much budget minded as I'm a student

2. Is there a course/guide for more historically minded visit?
>>
>>1223109
What fucking food are you eating in Vietnam?

Also fun note, I made fun of the guy saying Japan isn't expensive and I got a warning from the mods. Don't fuck with anime land or saying anything negative about it or you are getting banned because some fat weeb mod has a hard on for it.
>>
File: IMG_20170308_232633.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_232633.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1222744
Well it's hard to compete with airlines subsidized by Arab oil money.
>>
>>1222914
>Even the people giving out flyers and shit will go quiet and ignore me

It's because they assume you can't speak a word of Japanese.

What's the point of handing out flyers to people who won't even know what they mean?
>>
>>1222914
>but the chef guy made a big X with his arms and shook his head
Are you any combination of fat, scruffy, or non-white?
>>
>>1223252
What is it ? Looks decent enough. Dump all first class photos?

Hey if oil money gets great air fares, keep drilling mohammed.
>>
File: IMG_20170308_212741.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_212741.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1223257
It's soba noodles. Tried most of everything from the Japanese menu.
I'll fly ANA next time to see if it's better.
>>
>>1223252
>>1223263
Is that first class food? It looks good, but I expected something fancier.
>>
>>1223289
First class is pretty basic on a lot of carriers. The only time it's really worth it is as mentioned before on emirates and Etihad. They make other first classes look like business class. They even have showers on the plane for people in first, shit is crazy.

Do JAL have japanese toilets or just normal airplane toilets?
>>
File: wagekuk.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wagekuk.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Has Japan ruined anyone elses perception and life?

I got fired from my job at Subway because I kept greeting people with 'Irasshaimase'. It made me feel so welcome at Family Mart and such that I wanted to continue the tradition here.

Apparently though I was upsetting ustomrs. fucking priks. I am going back to Japan one day
>>
>>1221505
I'm curious too. That's more alone the lines of what I'd like to do
>>
>>1223295
kek
Just say hello or hi?
>>
>>1223204
I have the same problem dude.

My advice is to just worry about having fun and enjoying yourself.
Dont worry about something stupid like thay otherwise you'll come off as a loser to these cuties
>>
>>1223295
>not getting a transfer to a Japanese Subway.
>>
>>1223295
>Has Japan ruined anyone elses perception and life?
Your life would just become into the same mundane shit after a while. Like they say "it's a different world once the honeymoon is over"

>got fired from my job at Subway because I kept greeting people with 'Irasshaimase'

Doubt it, they were probably looking for any excuse to fire you already if you actually did get fired. Also control your weeblevel.
>>
>>1223204
>i know the whole "jap girls love white men" thing is a meme

It's mostly a meme, but everyone who I know closely that has gone there hasn't had any issues getting laid quite often. To the extent of girls falling over you because OH BIG WHITE AMERICAN MUST HAVE MASSIVE DICK is where it becomes a meme.
>>
File: expedia-app.jpg (20KB, 194x190px)
expedia-app.jpg
20KB, 194x190px
Is expedia a good site to book on?
>>
File: 1430684280746.jpg (50KB, 549x560px) Image search: [Google]
1430684280746.jpg
50KB, 549x560px
>>1223338
>actually taking that b8 serious
>>
File: IMG_20170309_003728.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170309_003728.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1223289
There's only so much you can do to dress up noodles. The Western menu is fancier with the caviar, foie gras, and plating though.
>>
>>1223402
Look man, my coworkers found out about me going to japan and the amount of stupid that I have had to explain to them has really rotted my brain this week.
>>
>>1223252
Was this a cold salad starter? Or the main. It looks kind of basic and bland.
>>
>>1222914
>And today I tried to go into a restaurant that smelled good, but the chef guy made a big X with his arms and shook his head.
>I wonder if I am doing something offputting? How to make connections here?
Are you dressed respectfully for a nice restaurant?
>>
>>1223393
usually not, but as always cross reference for the best deal and accuracy. In the two times I have used expedia, they sent me email corrections saying that the original scheduled departure times were wrong, by 1.5 hours...
>>
>>1223472
Not gonna lie, that thing at the back looks like cat food.
>>
>>1222523
Just send it to your current address in Shanghai? Or just mail it to the hotel/Airbnb you're going to be staying at. Seems logical no?
>>
Do hostels fill up in Tokyo for April soon? Should I book something immediately?
>>
File: 1484242551931.jpg (48KB, 410x416px) Image search: [Google]
1484242551931.jpg
48KB, 410x416px
>>1223295
If you are in an English speaking country, it's best to just use English as most people will understand you. People are usually uncomfortable when in a situation where the other person is speaking a different language without their foreknowledge. Just control your weeb level, please.
>>
>>1221721
traveling alone is amazing. Traveling with the right people is great too.
both solo / group travel has its uses, ups and downs.

If you are in hostels it's super easy to make friends and have a good time. The japanese are really friendly and will befriend you randomly on the street and at bars and such.

HOWEVER, since you are going to be in Tokyo, making local friends randomly is going to be significantly harder than, say, Osaka.

The people in Tokyo are generally less friendly, except at clubs and shit. Big cities are typically more isolating socially since there are so many fucking people.

You're gonna love it. IT will be lonely at times, but that's part of the gig, son.
Enjoy
>>
>>1222916
willer is way cheaper than the shinkansen dude.
I saved like $500 taking the bus from Tokyo to Osaka and back.
>>
>>1223393
I've used them twice to go to Japan and they did right by me. But like the other poster said the original times were off by a couple hours, granted I booked far in advance.
>>
I bought some tax-free stuff from Mandarake and they stampled the receipt to my passport. Do I have to do anything like show it to the customs officer on my way back? What about the goods I bought?
>>
>>1223472
>>1223289
The fancier Japanese food gets, the more likely it is they go for a more "pure" (bland) experience of taste.
>>
>>1223581
You'll have to have all those things on your person.
>>
File: IMAG0165.jpg (3MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0165.jpg
3MB, 5376x3024px
>>1223472
Sometimes you have to check if there's a meal you want online before the flight. When I flew to Tokyo on EVA connecting in TPE, I was able to choose a dish before hand that they would only put on thd flight if you ordered beforehand, pic related. Chinese sea bass. I remember ANA business class for the flight home had a similar deal.
>>
Are there any rideshare sites in Japan like Blablacar? or am I better off taking a train
>>
>>1223728
Take the train. Even if they have a rideshare, you'd be sitting at traffic lights for most of it.
>>
Arriving in Japan April 6 and staying for 3 weeks with this itinerary: Tokyo - Kanazawa - Kyoto - Nara - Tokyo. How does it look?
>>
>tfw just booked 6 nights here

How will it be? I have never been to Japan, we are staying in Tokyo for 6 nights, then 3 in Kyoto
>>
>>1223789
Is that the one in the middle of shinjuku? It's ok, bigger rooms than your average Japanese hotel but I sure as fuck would rather stay somewhere cheaper.
>>
>>1223799
Yea its in the middle of Shinjuku, its me my wife and one of her friends, so I was looking for bigger rooms. Also splitting it three ways the total cost per night comes in at $80 a person.
>>
>>1223789
I stayed there for 2 nights in a base room, thought it was really nice for the point cost. My room even had a view of Mt Fuji
>>
>>1223808
Ah, I see. Sounds like it works out well for you then.
>>
>>1223295
I know what you mean m8. When I got back from my semester abroad in Japan my friends and family were kind of annoyed about how I'd pray to Itadakimasu before every meal.
>>
>>1223225
Sup.

You do not need a TEFL/TESOL. Don't bother. It may give you an edge, but generally speaking I wouldn't bother.

As for programs, in my view there are basically 4 viable starter options for people looking to get into Japan from overseas. I'll rank them in order of desirability.

>JET Programme
Public schools, hired by the government. Pays 300k a month. As good a salary as you are going to make doing ESL in Japan. Public school jobs are piss easy with little to no stress. If you don't mind a rural placement this is unquestionably the best option. But these days JET have upped their urban placements in preparation for the 2020 Olympics.

>ECC
This is an eikaiwa school company. ECC is definitely the best of these to work for. Pay is 250k which is pretty standard ESL, but you only work 6 hours a day and get 7 weeks of vacation a year. Downside is that generally you don't get consecutive days off.

>AEON
The other eikaiwa company that isn't complete shit but is still worse than ECC by a fair amount. Basically with AEON you will work your ass off for 9-10 hours a day. Plus side is the pay is higher than average (272k and goes up to 285k after a year). You also get consecutive days off. It's a company, so good placements.

>Interac
The biggest ALT dispatch company. You work in public schools so your job is easy like with JET, but the biggest drawback is you technically work for the company, not the school. The company takes a huge chunk of your pay every month. Salaries are piss low (like 230k) and good placements not guaranteed. Still can be OK since your job is low stress.
>>
>>1223338
desu the mundane shit in japan is still more interesting than the mundane shit here, maybe after a couple decades it'd get boring
>>
>>1223789

Really nice. I usually use business hotels or capsule hotels but I booked 3 nights there when I went with my parents.

It's expensive but between a few people you'll get your monies worth.

It's a very comfortable Western hotel. All the staff can speak English and the rooms are big. It's also worth asking at the desk if there's any rooms available with nice views. If they happen to be available they'll give you one.
>>
File: 1484827891111.jpg (52KB, 462x541px) Image search: [Google]
1484827891111.jpg
52KB, 462x541px
>>1223744
I'll be around the same time as you, only two weeks though. Similar itinerary too.
>>
>>1223845
No the "weird" shit just becomes normal and after about a year you realize that most of that stuff wasn't even weird to begin with it was just different than the culture you grew up in
>>
>trip almost here

I don't even know Bros, I'm getting scared thinking if I got everything I need.
>>
>>1223920
I'm also leaving soon, what would you be forgetting?
>>
>>1223922
I dunno, just being sure I'm making the most of things, reserving what I can in advance etc. Also making sure my itinerary is possible and makes sense.
>>
>>1223844
would any of those accept someone who is not a native English speaker but posses the ability of one? I also have a Bachelor's degree, albeit not from an English speaking university
>>
File: 1489387283001.jpg (112KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1489387283001.jpg
112KB, 736x1040px
>>1223402

DEATH TO KAREN!
>>
>>1223940
Not unless you have all 12 years of primary and secondary school in English.
>>
>>1223962
as in English classes or the whole education in English?
>>
>>1223971
Like whole education in English. Sorry man.
>>
well i just spent the past 5 days in tokyo

think im good for a while now
>>
>>1223993
why?
>>
>>1223993
tell us your story anon, don't be a fag
>>
File: totoro.jpg (233KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
totoro.jpg
233KB, 1920x1080px
I can't find a consensus about rainy season in Japan. Some tell it's a hell of non-stop rain while others tell it's more like quick showers with weather clearing through the day.

So what's up with Tsuyu actually ?

Going to Japan from 30 May to 14 June (Tokyo - Hiroshima - Fukuoka - Okinawa) and i'm starting to fear for my time at the beach will be spoiled by rain and cloudy weather.
>>
>>1224038
>tfw going july 9-16th

pls dont rain constantly
>>
>>1224050
>going around then too
sh-should I be worried?
>>
>>1224038
i went around those days in june. The rain was at most a mild inconvenience. If it rained it was all day but a light shower. If people were bothered by it, they must have wanted nothing but sunlight.
>>
>>1224068
Thanks for your answer. Where were you though during those days ?

>If people were bothered by it, they must have wanted nothing but sunlight.
Rainy weather don't bother me that much while sightseeing (which is more than half of my trip). I only fear for my time at Okinawa. Tropical beach under heavy rain is not exactly the definition of paradise.

I got to Thailand during rainy season and ok there was rain but nothing too annoying as we could sunbath and enjoy the beach. I just hope it's like this.
>>
>>1224077
at most it was the kind of rain thats comfy as fuck. Never any storms but I was around Tokyo/Kyoto when it would rain from the 2nd to the 16th.
>>
>>1223993
As in you feel like you've seen enough stuff there or you realize you don't like it there?
>>
>>1223808
>240$ a night
I was not expecting it to be that cheap. I was thinking at least 450$.
>>
>>1224151
Same, but I guess it's just a hyatt regency and not like the park hyatt or something. Although the park is probably more like $600
>>
>>1224215
Yea Park Hyatt is like 550 a night, which is way out of my price range. I was surprised though that it was only $240 a night considering thats the same budget as some of the smaller name hotels.
>>
How long is usually the contract for being a Japanese teacher?
>>
>>1224218
I'm getting to stay there in April for free on award nights and points. Can't wait.
>>
Anyone have recommendations on hostels you all have stayed at before in japan?
>>
File: IMG_20170314_021344_363.jpg (1MB, 2304x2880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170314_021344_363.jpg
1MB, 2304x2880px
>>1224238
The one I'm staying at right now is called 1night1980 (1泊1980円ホテル) hotel, it's super cheap (20-30 bucks a night), quiet, and it's very centralized in Iriya, just North of Ueno / Taito area. You're right next to the Hibiya subway station thats two stops away from Akihabara.
>>
I will be in japan for all of april. Is there anywhere I could go and see some yosakoi?
>>
>>1220759
how much in usd to live in shitty apt in tokyo?
(assuming i bleach it up)
>>
>>1221002
i bet manhattan is more expensive than tokyo
>>
>>1223920
forgot my fucking charger but hey shit happens
>>
>>1224038
Weird, thought I already replied earlier.

Weather is down to luck really, rainy season or not.
I went in early June once. I got a couple of days of hot bright Japan Summer, 1.5 weeks of rain then 1.5 weeks of clear skies.
The rain varied from mostly light to heavy but never bad enough to cause warnings.
If it does rain, do yourself a favor and grab one of those full size umbrellas. They sell them in konbinis. It's not that inconvenient as Japan is really umbrella friendly.

If anything, the rain made the last 1.5 weeks really nice. The rain had cooled the temperature down to something a brit like me finds comfortable.

I wouldn't do Okinawa in this season without checking the forecasts.
>>
>>1223844
Thanks for the advice man. I've heard JET is super competitive and difficult to get into, is this true?
>>
>>1224238
1. Backpackers Miyajima
Nice location to Miyajima Island and Hiroshima city, all staff can speak English and is so friendly.Rooms are clean and comfortable.
2. Yufuin Country Road Youth Hostel
They have nice Onsen(hot spring) and you can take bath anytime.Their dinner and breakfast is very good, you must try.
>>
>>1223962
At least for Interac this is what they say but it is not really true, people get through as long as they are good enough.
>>
>>1224264
Depends where and how shitty. You can find really cheap places though. Like 300 to 400 a month.
>>
>>1224249
There are many Yosakoi in April.
I'll write only date, time, name of event and city.

4/1 4/2 11-19
Kyoto Sakura Yosakoi
Kyoto city, Kyoto Pref.

4/2 11-16
Odorunya Haru Matsuri
Wakayama city, Wakayama Pref.

4/9 10-17
Kumagaya Sakura Yosakoi
Kumagaya city, Saitama Pref.

4/9 10-19
Domatsuri Yozakura in Okazaki
Okazaki city, Aichi Pref.

4/15 10-18
Kawasaki Rakudaishi Matsuri Yakuyoke Yosakoi
Kawasaki city, Kanagawa Pref.

4/15
Yosakoi Festa in Sakuragawa
Sakuragawa city, Ibaraki Pref.

4/16
Sasayama Yosakoi Matsuri
Sasayama city, Hyogo Pref.

4/16
Dazaifu Monzen Shinbusai
Dazaifu city, Fukuoka Pref.

4/22 4/23 10-17
Tokyo My Matsuri Haru
Ueno onshi Park, Tokyo.

4/22 4/23
Appare Fuji
Fuji city, Shizuoka Pref.

4/23 10-16
Kasukabe Fuji Matsuri
Kasukabe city, Saitama Pref.

4/29
Yosshakoi Matsuri 2017 FINAL
Kure city, Hiroshima Pref.

4/29 4/30 10-19
Kagoshima Haru Matsuri
Kagoshima city, Kagoshima Pref.
>>
>>1224305
Nice, will be able to catch the one in Tokyo.

Ty for posting senpai
>>
>>1224038
Was end of may till mid june last year, barely any rain. Also went from Tokyo down to Hiroshima, had two rainy days in Kyoto and that was it. The further south you go, the hotter it will be.

Bright sun and great weather in the area around Hiroshima durhing that time.
>>
>>1224038
You should be fine, last last year it was over on June 16, the year before, the 8th in Okinawa.

>>1224050
>>1224056

Rainy season is generally over by then, but it's nor like it rains constantly, it usually just very muggy and maybe overcast,
>>
File: 1449038313343.png (2MB, 1440x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1449038313343.png
2MB, 1440x1024px
>>1224314
I'm in Tokyo then too. Might see you there.
>>
>>1224219
A Japanese teacher? As in a teacher of Japanese in Japan? In another country? An ethnically Japanese teacher? A teacher of English in Japan?
>>
>>1224249
Holy shit thanks for posting this, was there a single site you pulled this from? I'm actually there for a bit of March and may as well, but clearly have no idea what I should Google
>>
Todays the day, flying to tokyo for 7 days...

Wish me luck
>>
>>1224338
Perhaps you are talking to me...? (I'm No.1224305)
I pulled this schedules from here, but Japanese only.
http://yosakoi.yoiyasa.info/

If you want to know schedules of March or May, I will translate.
>>
>>1224345
Ganbatte.
>>
new thread >>1224373
>>
>>1224336
Let's grab some cheap vending machine beer and get drunk together!
>>
>>1224346
I was able to translate, thanks again
>>
>>1221303
>Jersey

first time I've seen my island mentioned on /trv/
>>
>>1224618
In Jersey for 3 months m8
>>
File: 1330356056498.jpg (93KB, 579x579px) Image search: [Google]
1330356056498.jpg
93KB, 579x579px
Is it worth it to visit tokyo at the beginning of november or is the weather just going to be too shitty?
>>
>>1223295
lol'd
>>
>>1224038
April is why it rains non-stop
>>
Just quit my job and now I'm heading to japan next month for about 6 weeks.

Flying in and out of Tokyo, but wanting to get a rail pass (21 days) and explore as much as I possible. Can anyone recommend a game plan?

And will I need to have accommodation booked throughout or should I be able to wing it once I'm there?
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.