[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 23

File: 032.jpg (1MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
032.jpg
1MB, 1920x1280px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1205567
>>
Less than two months until I'm back in Tokyo, think I'm gonna hit chidorigafuchi, Shinjuku Gyoen and Ueno park for Hanami again this year. Anyone have any other worthwhile recommendations for Sakura? Aside from that I don't really know what to do with my time, I've seen all the normal touristy things in tokyo at least once. Maybe some museums or something
>>
7 days Tokyo, 3 Kyoto, 2 Osaka and last 2 back in Tokyo, First time traveling there. Is this a decent basic itinerary?
>>
>>1207911
depending what are your priorities, I'd shave one day off from kyoto and use it for osaka, and do a day trip to nara from there.
>>
Any foreigner friendly local music venues around the Tokyo area?
>>
>>1207911

If you are into cultural stuffs, even 5 days in Kyoto is still not enough. Osaka is pretty uninteresting to me, bunch of loud tourists and made-in-China shops.
>>
Any recommendations for private(tattoos) onsens/ski resorts in the Hokkaido region? Idc how pricey, as long as the criteria are met.
>>
Asking in this thread too, does anyone know an app like JustEat or maishoku for Osaka/Kansai?
>>
I will be in Japan for 7 nights in July. I'm wondering about my itinerary. Is it better to stay 7 days in Tokyo or better to cram some Kyoto in there as well like 4 days Tokyo and 3 days Kyoto? Or something else?

Also, how far in advance should I book accomodation?
>>
>>1208015
>July
>how far in advance should I book accomodation?
Today.

For your other question ill let others share their opinions on traveling around.
>>
>>1207999
Nevermind, description only mentioned Tokyo but it seems to cover Kansai too. Unfortunately there's literally only one restaurant that delivers in my area and it's an Indian.
>>
Did anyone try those free wifi apps for Japan? Do they work?

I got by on city wifis and other hot spots last time I went, so I don't really feel I need to get a SIM card, but still some more connectivity might be nice.
>>
>>1207827
>recommendations for Sakura?
Nakameguro
>>
File: GL06P.jpg (9KB, 228x148px) Image search: [Google]
GL06P.jpg
9KB, 228x148px
So, I recently arrived in Japan. Living here now due to work, pretty chill so far.

Now, my appartement doesn't have an internet connection, so I am using one of those mobile WiFi boxes right now. Appertnly it has a data cap of 7gb. That is practically nothing. I enjoy watching youtube or playing games so I have some heavy traffic. So far I had no luck in finding an uncapped service with decent speed.

Do any of you guys who have been living here for longer any experience with this? Any suggestions what service to use?
>>
>>1208175
I use a similar device which has unlimited data. I think it depends on who you get the contract with.
>>
>>1208175
If it's only temporary then hang out at a manga cafe. Otherwise where do you live?
>>
>>1208104
Great for a date, pretty boring an outing with friends.
>>
File: 1383460602321.jpg (43KB, 500x626px) Image search: [Google]
1383460602321.jpg
43KB, 500x626px
I'm going to eastern Tokyo for about a month to see a friend. I got a house off of Airbnb for the duration (first time not staying in a hotel). What can I do to work out? In the states, I hit the gym 5 days a week. Last time I was in Japan, I was forced to run every morning and try and find a park with a jungle-gym to do pull ups on.
>>
I can't find a bench anywhere. Can I eat outside a konbini?
>>
>>1208207
Most kus have a ku gym. The rate is really shitty if you don't work or live in the ku but they're still better than the member rate at a private gym
>>
I'm staying at the 3* Hotel Listel in Shinjuku. 65$ per night. The rest of the hotels were more expensive. I'd rather splurge more on food instead of a little better place for sleeping.
>>
>>1208015
Tokyo is a huge city, you could spend 2 months there and still only scratch the surface

That said, Kyoto is pretty nice too and since you're in the country, might as well go there. I would do 5 days Tokyo and maybe 2 days Kyoto

As far as accomodation goes, I usually booked it 2-3 days in advance during non-high season (September). July might be a bit busier, but if you want flexibility, you could still book on the fly
>>1208217
yes
>>
Does anyone have any advice about Kabukicho, Shinjuku? I want to stay in the area during my vacation, but I wonder how quiet and safe it is at night for a solo traveler since it's a notorious red light district.
>>
>>1208267

Prepare your anus. It is a notorious _gay_ red light district.
>>
>>1208267
I stayed there during my trip because it had the cheapest hotel.
"Red light district" just means lots of pachinko and host/ess clubs. You're not going to see any criminal activity as tourist. It's very crowded in the evening but not nearly as loud as you'd imagine.
So go ahead. I actually was disappointed by it.

When I was there I thought all the guys in fancy suits standing around are Yakuza. And I still always felt safe.
>>
>>1208052
I tried one once and it did work, but I was really glad to have my prepaid sim card since I visited a lot of outskirts.
>>
>>1208267
I can recommend Hatsudai as a neighborhood. Extremely close to Shinjuku but still got that small town feel. Literally takes 5 minutes by train.
>>
What's your preferred site for tracking japanese domestic flight prices? Trying to get a flight from Osaka to Tokyo for my flight back home but the prices are $140-240 right now but it's in November so there's plenty of time for it to shift
>>
>>1208267
Accidentally walked though here not knowing what it was. Got tissue packets from a bunch of cute trannies advertising their bars
>>
>>1208391
google flights
>>
>>1205934
Depends on the study. You could just have to lay down on a fMRI machine bed while they play music through your earphones, or you could have to take some experimental drug that accidentally makes your blood clot up and kills you.

If they're paying a lot, it's more likely to be the latter end of the scale.

>>1206340
>the 20% taxes in Taiwan

You don't understand the tax system in Taiwan. That is only if you stay for less than six months. If you stay more than 183 days in any calendar year, your taxes drop down to the normal rate.

I earn triple what ESL scum do, and I pay 12%. ESL scum probably pay around 9% total after deductions, assuming they don't get deported less than halfway through their contracts for being dumbfucks.

>>1206342
Bitcoin. Check le Reddit for where to get an exchange, I don't know what the current companies are.
>>1206603
milkybaby.jp

>>1205971
>For ¥5 million, you could get an investor visa
Do you just have to show that much money, or do you have to create a company and use that money for operations, or do you have to hand that money over to an existing company that you have no control over?

>>1207444
>lactose intolerance
>yogurt
>cheese

The bacteria used to culture yogurt and cheese devour the lactose.

Long-aged cheese has roughly zero lactose in it. If you eat a thoroughly-aged cheddar and feel little crystals crunching, those are lactic acid crystals left over from the breakdown of lactose.

Fresh cheeses like mozz still have lactose in them.
>>1207955
The God-Emperor will return the U.S. to greatness.
>>
Hi guys, would it be wise to buy a JR Pass if I'm travelling between Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka? Or just buy the tix point to point?
>>
>>1208491
Tokyo to osaka alone costs 12000 yen.

Considering how the JR pass is like 38,000 yen, you'll cover the cost in no time.
>>
>>1208493
Thanks for clearing that up
>>
Did anyone else go to Wakakusa Yamayaki in Nara yesterday? Hanabi was great.
>>
>>1208237
I'm staying there too, neighbor.
>>
Anyone here has seen a japanese wrestling match? I will be in two weeks in japan and i really want to see some fights, male or female. Does anyone knows how to get the tickets?
>>
>>1207929
What genre are you interested in?

>>1208302
>>1208307
>>1208392
Thank you all for your comments. I'll consider staying in the area or maybe even Hatusdai. I already know I'll be out late after the trains stop so I want to be able to walk to the hotel quickly.
>>
File: Keya-芥屋-002.jpg (128KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Keya-芥屋-002.jpg
128KB, 640x427px
What are some cities that have some nice beaches other than anywhere in Okinawa? I was thinking maybe Fukuoka...
>>
I'm going to Japan for two weeks in September for a school trip, going around Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima, will just over 100,000 yen be enough to buy some cool shit and eat well
>>
I haven't packed. I haven't figured out how the shinkansen works or what to even do in Kyoto when I get there. I'm just sitting here browsing for weird Japanese sex toys.
>>
File: 4da2a31858bd6163.jpg (223KB, 637x540px) Image search: [Google]
4da2a31858bd6163.jpg
223KB, 637x540px
German anon without a bachelor degree trying to become an english teacher in Japan

I am out of money. No company is interested in me. I am out of options.
I will die here.
>>
>>1208581
Why don't you teach Deutsch? Or go to the countryside and do the dishes somewhere.
>>
>>1208589
>teach deutsch
Nobody here wants to learn Deutsch.
And I still don't have a bachelor degree, thus making me invalid of being able to teach.

I wonder ... should I use the last money i have to go to Sapporo and freeze to death, hoping I can get a job there somehow?
Or do I pay the absurd high rent in Tokyo while doing a shitty dishwasher job for 18 hours a day to be able to pay the rent?
>>
>>1208570

Should be fine if your accommodation is paid for. Be sure to buy your souvenirs in Kyoto.
>>
>>1208574

> shinkansen

Just ask the train conductors. It's not rocket science.

> Kyoto

Don't worry, the entire city is great. Google Kyoto itinerary for specific attractions.
>>
>>1208595

Is going back to your country an option? Otherwise, work in a less expensive city.
>>
>>1208595

Is going back to your country an option? Otherwise, work in a less expensive city.
>>
>>1208603
>>1208604
>going back
>to germany
Buddy, I'm safer here in Roppongi, wearing a T-shirt with "I hate niggers and yakuzas" written on it than in my own house in Germany.
Is Sapporo expensive?
>>
>>1208607
>>1208581
/pol/ pls leave
>>
>>1208104
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm staying near there anyway
>>
>>1208608
What does the living cost in Sapporo have to do with /pol/ ?
>>
>>1208549
Cities generally don't really have nice beaches because they're cities. Enoshima/Kamakura has a really popular beach and other than that, try smaller town maybe on the Ise peninsula and further outside of Fukuoka/around Kyushu
>>
>>1208549
The islands in the Seto Inland Sea have some beautiful beaches, and off-season they're practically dead.
>>
>>1208595
Beweg deinen verfickten Arsch and go somewhere to finish that fucking degree, du hirnamputierter Hartz IV-Versager.
>>
>>1208638
Is nich drin. Hab ne 5 in Mathe auffm FORQ.
>>
Hey /trv/, i'm seeking some advice.
I've been applying for a tonne of jobs on gaijinpot (tefl jobs obv), and have finally gotten a response from a school which i'd really like to work at.
I was beginning to lose hope, because no other places were replying.
I have a skype interview coming up this thursday, and really badly want to get this. Admittedly, if i don't, then i'l start applying for Taiwan and Korea, but Japan is by far the country i want to live in most. (im no weeaboo, it just seems like a beautiful friend country).

Does anyone have any advice for how to nail the interview?
I would appreciate anyone whose done a similar thing, giving me some pointers.
my weakest aspect, is other than teaching students at university part time (1 to 1, 3d software), i have no real teaching experience.

Thanks
>>
>>1207819
I'm currently living in France and studying the english language. I plan on going abroad to teach either one of these languages. One of the countries I'm most attracted to is Japan, and so I want to know : Does anybody know of an organization or program that would help me get there? Something that could help me find a place to stay in and a school to teach in.
>>
>>1208680
I'm in the same boat as you atm. I've been told that you'll get a ton of contacts and useful sites and connections when you do a TEFL or CELTA course, so you could try that.
>>
>>1208544
Punk/indie/prog/maybe some hardcore.
>>
Not sure how many people here will be into this stuff but it is 4chan so there is probably a few of you.

im planning a holiday to japan, visiting tokyo and osaka (maybe other places but at least them). any recommendations on places to get the best loli doujins or anything else related to that
>>
File: GIANT-SALAMANDER.jpg (84KB, 660x442px)
GIANT-SALAMANDER.jpg
84KB, 660x442px
Can anyone here recommend a good zoo in Japan? I'd be mostly interested in seeing Japanese fauna like the Japanese giant salamander or raccoon dogs.
Is Ueno Zoo any good?
>>
I am a Korean (American born and raised though) visiting Japan, should I be worried about racism? I've heard the cities and younger generations are pretty chill about it, but I do want to tour the countryside since I'll be visiting in spring/early summer.
>>
>>1208676
Dress well, shave well, and if it's a job that wants you to have no Japanese dont use any Japanese at all
>>
>>1208727
Ueno's good, but don't go there in the summer. It's pretty depressing seeing all the penguins and polar bears overheating.

Also, the fox village is pretty grim in case anyone tells you otherwise
>>
>>1208775
Problem with Fox Village is it's near Fukushima and there's not a ton around otherwise
>>
Me and 2 mates plan on going to Tokyo for 3 weeks in August. What do you think about us staying in Tokyo for all of the 3 weeks? Obviously we would be doing day trips but definetly not going to Kyoto or Osaka mostly because we don't want to make the trip too complicated due to the fact that we are leaving Europe for the first time ever.

Also would it be a good idea to rent a car to go into some less known country-side places? Obviously the train system is crazy good but it is also pretty expensive while a car would cost about 60 bucks a day plus tolls and gas also it would be pretty nice to visit some more off the grid places where trains might not go.
>>
>>1208676
Be energetic, smile, and emphasize how flexible you are.
>>
>>1208727
I enjoyed Cuddly Dominion in Kumamoto and African Safari in Oita.
>>
>>1208757
>should I be worried about racism?
No. Just don't behave like an ass and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1208716
If you want doujins then Melonbooks and Toranoana are the 2 main stores. They have stores all over the city but their Akiba branches are the biggest.
If you're in Osaka then head to Otaroad, within walking distance from the big Shimbashi tourist area.

Mandarake also sells doujins if you're ok with second hand. Their big brances are in Nakano Broadway and Akiba. I don't know if they have a store in Osaka.

Keep in mind that these guys also have stores dedicated to yaoi. You'll know if you walk in and see a bunch of girls.

Akiba and Otaroad also has commercial loli goods, games and books all over the place, usually on the upper floors.
>>
>>1208798
Renting a car will be nothing but a hassle. The train is always the best option for going anywhere you'd actually want to go
>>
File: 1475290128747.jpg (34KB, 640x512px)
1475290128747.jpg
34KB, 640x512px
Traveling to Japan in late February with 2 friends, haven't left the states in my life with the exception of a brief trip to Toronto, which was basically like going to New York City

Staying in a place called Fukuoka, and will be in Tokyo for 3 days. Stoked to blow money on souvenirs and the one place i'm hoping to visit is the Kodokan - although I don't think i'll be allowed to go on the mats.

Anything I should know before I step onto the island ?
>>
>>1208798
Well, unless you're from the UK you're gonna have a bad time with left-side traffic if you rent a car. I already found it unsettling as fuck when taking a taxi or bus.
>>
>>1208784
No the problem is that they're enclosed in a shitty small area of the forest and there's no way of either cooling down or heating up when the weather gets shitty.
The place smells piss and the foxes tend to bully each other because of the restricted place. Japs dont particularly care about animal welfare when its business based. i.e The animal cafe in odaiba that has literally animal in a small storefront.
>>
Hey guys, I want to climb Mount Fuji for the first time in July. Should I pay for a guided tour, or just do it on my own?
>>
>>1208867
That's most animal cafes. The hedgehog and Owl cafes seem neat until you realize they're noctural animals and literally being forced to be awake against their instincts. And the rabbit cafes all seem to have wire cages which are awful for their feet. Imagine if you had to sit/sleep on a hollow wire floor all the time.
>>
Getting scuba certified soon. I'll be all over japan on my trip in april-may. Where would be the best places to dive?
>>
Does anyone have tips for sleeping at Haneda
>>
>>1208921
okinawa
>>
>>1208924
But where in okinawa, just reef dives or something specific?
>>
>>1208823
Awesome thanks for the detailed help, i have tons of big fun things planned so now im just trying to think of small things to do like this to spread out the big stuff so im not just rushing through it all.
>>
>>1208727
Tennoji zoo if you are near Osaka!
>>
File: 1482510464497.png (367KB, 568x454px) Image search: [Google]
1482510464497.png
367KB, 568x454px
>We need native english speaker! ONLY NATIVES NOTHING ELSE!
>apply for it
>get the job
>meet the colleagues
>french fuck who can't get once sentences right
>russian who can't speak at all
>New Dehli American apple customer hotline man
>be the only fucking person who can actually speak english
This place is a fucking joke
>>
>>1208976
Where? What place/company? Don't be that fucking guy and not reveal it either. You brought it up.
>>
>>1208873
Do it on your own. I don't really understand what good a tour guide would be.
>>
What do in Tokyo ? I was planning on spending nights in golden gai/piss alley/drunkards alley, is kabukicho worth a visit? What can I do during the day ? No weeb shit pls
>>
>>1208581
What happened to trying GABA cunt?
>>
>>1208988
They were pretty specific about the "native" speaker part and I didn't do it.

I'm going to do a restaurant job now until I learned more japanese and can attend university next year. I'll do some english course and apply for ALT afterwards.
>>
What's the cheapest way to get from Fukuoka city to Miyazaki city?

I don't really feel like paying 12000yen for a Shinkansen ticket.
>>
>>1208986
Whole day can be spent in one of each Akiba, Shinjuku, Shibuya. Even Ikebukuro and Harajuku.

See Tsukiji Fish Market, Shinjuku Goen, Imperial Palace, Tokyo Metropolitan Building (climb it to see a good view of tokyo) and my favourite Kaminarimon Gate.

I've been home for two weeks and I miss Tokyo so god damn much.
>>
>>1208986
Golden Gai is more or less part of Kabukicho. You'll pass through it either way. I wouldn't recommend Akiba, Ikebukuro or Harajuku. It's basically just outdoor shopping malls catering to tourists. See if you can make some trips to urban areas like Shimokitazawa, Koenji or Togoshi Ginza. The world trade center at Hamamatsucho has a pretty nice 360 view too. Better at night though
>>
>>1208991
>>1208993
Will look into Akiba,Harajuku and Ikebeukruo. We are staying in shinjuku. Don't you have to be awake early for the fish markets ? Because there is no chance that is happening unless I am still up from the night before.
>>
>>1208993
>Harajuku
>It's basically just outdoor shopping malls catering to tourists

How ignorant can you fucking be my dude. Holy shit.
>>
>>1209000
Nice argument, my dude. Upvoted :^)
>>
>>1209003
>he literally thinks Harajuku is just Takeshita St.
>>
>>1208993
>Akihabara is catered to tourists

This fucking meme. Akihabara is primarly catered toward Japanese otaku and to a lesser extent used electronics. Of course lots of tourists go there, but it doesn't make it "catered to tourists."

Besides a couple MaidDreamin locations with English menus and the large electronics shops that offer tax free purchases (which are everywhere in Tokyo) I don't see extensive catering to tourists in Akihabra.
>>
>>1208993
Harajuku is pretty nice IMO. It's good if you wanna go shopping and it also has the Meiji shrine close by.
>>
>>1209005
To be fair if you didn't already know that Harajuku was a massive fashion area its possible to miss it. None of the smaller stores are on either main and the road and the big huge buildings that house some of the even weirder stores look pretty generic from the outside.
>>
>>1208990
doesn't Peach fly that route?
>>
>>1208923
make sure to find a seat far away from the escalator

Those things have some automatic announcement thingies that started after I got comfy. Wanted to chocke that announcer woman within 1 hour
>>
>>1208993
>Deliberately denouncing popular places because they're popular
Sick, dude.

Togoshi Ginza and koenji are cool but nothing I'd go out of the way for if I were staying for less than two weeks.
>>
>>1208976

Maybe that's the reason they want a native English speaker as their new employee? Ever thought about it?
>>
>>1208936
Have fun anon, the selection there is amazing. Also don't shy away from the secondhand stuff, the Japanese are really good about taking care of their stuff and the stores don't really take fucked up items secondhand
>>
>>1209031
The best part about Harajuku is Meiji Jingu anyway
>>
>>1209007
I fell for this meme and regretted it. Nakano is great but you only really need a day tops. Akiba still has plenty of good shit off the main street.

Only thing I found truly disappointing about Akiba is the Mandarake was subpar versus all the other ones I visited and even Book Off Super Bazaar in some cities had better selection.
>>
>>1208993
You mentioned two piece of shit hipster places and ginza, total of free trade places with as little jap feel as possible. Go get your pumpkin latte and don't forget to groom your beard, you gluten free faggot
>>
File: 1444503924577.jpg (240KB, 1282x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1444503924577.jpg
240KB, 1282x1144px
>>1209144
anon, Ginza and Togoshi Ginza are two different places
>>
I have a full day in Tokyo left after having been in Asia for a half year. Have seen Asakusa, Akiba, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ueno, Shimokitazawa, Tsukiji and Odaiba.

Where should I go today and what should I eat?
>>
>>1209144
Togoshi Ginza is a small shotengai near Osaki, homeslice
>>
>>1209152
Ikebukuro and whatever you feel like. There is a huge selection.
>>
I'm going for two weeks in June. What else should I see or do?

I'm 18 years old, like nature, modern and traditionalist architecture, most Japanese pop culture, fashion, and hip-hop (dancing and music) if that provide any insight. I have no clear plans for each day yet, I only have the flight, accommodations, and railroad pass down, everything else is on impulse.

One week in Tokyo to do Ueno, Yokohama, Akibahara, Meiji Shrine, and general urban exploring (staying in ARTnSHELTER hostel).

One day in Hakone to see Mt. Hakone, the hotel onsen, and Evangelion stuff (staying in Tenseien Ryokan)

3 days in Kyoto and then 3 days in Osaka. I will be staying in an AirBnB in Osaka and Soba Hostel in Kyoto.

Has anyone been to any of these hostels? Is ¥4000 a day enough for food?

Really excited about leaving my country for the first time, especially because I'd be alone.
>>
What are some essential weeb locations to visit?

I really wanna see Shirakawa-go and Kyu-Furukawa Gardens because I love the WTC series.
>>
>>1209144
>Being this mad
>>
>>1209182
Hell of a trip at 18 years old. Good luck cramming all that into two weeks. 4000 a day for food is plenty.
>>
>>1209007
Speaking of tax-free shops, how does that work? If I go to buy something, I just say I'm a foreigner and I want no tax? Do I have to keep receipts or something? Does anyone verify my purchases? It seems like it could be more hassle than it's worth.
>>
First timer in Japan here. I'll be staying in Ueno from may 28-june 4 or 5.

Would you guys recommend me some good stuff to do while on a tight budget? I'm willing to go to other places like kyoto and osaka. Thanks!
>>
File: 1469760769820.jpg (456KB, 1521x1374px) Image search: [Google]
1469760769820.jpg
456KB, 1521x1374px
So my friend just cancelled our plans to go to Tokyo in May (didn't order anything yet). Sucks, I really wanted to go.

Maybe go alone instead?
>>
>>1209225
You just show them your passport. You should be carrying it everywhere with you anyway
>>
>>1209073
OK ill give the second stuff a shot too then, thanks again for the advice.
>>
>>1209183
Depends on the series. I know one of the reasons i love Ikebukuro is because of Durarara. Me and my buddy went to a random McDonalds there for a snack and we took our seat and I suddenly realized "holy shit there's an episode where Shizuo sits at this very seat!"

Aside from that the usual weeb route is Akihabara, the Ghibli theme park, Sunshine City, (in Ikebukuro) and Nakano Broadway all in Tokyo.
>>
File: Wonfes 2017.png (26KB, 300x260px)
Wonfes 2017.png
26KB, 300x260px
I see that there is a lot of information to chew through in the sticky and archive, so I'll make a post before getting started.

I'm going to Wonder Festival on the 19th in Chiba.
I have a few days before and a couple days after for doing more traditional sight seeing.

Going in so far uneducated, I plan on visiting Mt. Fuji and Hiroshima.
>Any recommendations on similar places to visit?

I also hope to buy up a bunch of plastic butts inside and outside of Wonfes but I hear that Akiba is a trap.
>Best places to buy without getting scammed?
>>
>>1209259
Just so you know, Hiroshima is all the way West so it's not like you can pop over for a quick visit while in Tokyo, so plan ahead.

If you want weeb goods, try Den Den Town in Osaka instead. Otherwise, deal with Akiba since you won't be able to ask what you need since I'm assuming you don't know Japanese
>>
File: DSC00274-02 - Copy.jpg (141KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00274-02 - Copy.jpg
141KB, 1000x668px
>>1209260
Probably make a day of the trip to Hiroshima like when we visited London and went to Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, and the Roman Baths.

and no, no practical knowledge of the language.
>>
>>1209259
What makes you think Akiba is a trap? If you're a figure collector you know why used figures are almost always more expensive than release price, and you can easily check something like MFC/hobbyjapan/amiami for prices to compare for recently released things if you want to be sure you're getting a fair price. I haven't bought much in Japan since bringing them home is a pain in the ass, but from looking around prices in Akiba seemed largely in line with what you'd find anywhere else.
>>
>>1208993
Ikebukuro is great if you are a fujo.
>>
After being here for one month I can say

Fuck this place
>>
>>1209278
why's that anon? maybe I can learn from your mistakes when I visit.
>>
>>1209278
Most people are going to assume you're baiting unless you give a believable story friend.
>>
just spent a while in south korea and i think i want to go to japan

where should i go?

what should i expect?

what should i do?
>>
>>1209235
i just went on vacation alone for about 2 weeks. best decision i ever made
>>
So I'm definitely going to Japan from the 17th of August to the 8th of September. Trying to do a semi-backpack thing where I only bring a ~30-40l backpack as luggage and couchsurf/go to hostels/airbnb and shit like that.
Still not sure whether I should stay 1 or 2 weeks in Tokyo (rest is RailPass time). While I like exploring new places, if I just went sightseeing in "look at all the scenery" places all day erryday I'd get bored quickly.
If I were to take luggage, how much is storage of said luggage, should I not need it? If all goes well, i could probably leave it at the couchsurfing guy I plan to stay for the first week, but still.
>>
>>1209235
If you know/are willing to learn some japanese and aren't an autistic fuck that can't talk to people at all, traveling alone is fucking GOAT. Everyone's interested in tourists (generally speaking, haven't been to japan yet, but planning to), you easily make friends, you're way more flexible in staying at places (capsule hotels, hostels, couchsurfing, all that shit), you can do what YOU and only you want to do all day. Have fun and explore shit.
>>
>>1209317
>>1209311

I should really do it, gonna need to do a lot more planning and improvise less.

I do usually lack the motivation when the day comes and little to no experience.
>>
>>1209322
i went to seoul with no plans about a month ago. i talked to 2 people on this board and we met up for a little. im usually too nervous to be outgoing but i just said fuck it when i was there and met a bunch of cool people and had friends the whole time. and its nice being alone bcuz u can do anything you want. if you just wanna chill and do nothing all day you can. and if you make friends with locals they will show you the good food and places to hangout but i just liked being with the people it didnt matte where we were. easily the best days of my life. i cant recommend it enough
>>
>>1209328
yeah. And to overcome your assburgers: even if you fuck up massively, unless you go back to that place you're never going to meet those people ever again, and even if you do go back, it's highly unlikely.
>>
>>1208976
Tell me where cunt

I NEED A JOB IN JAPAN

PLEASE
>>
Backpacking in japan for two weeks, end of march and early april. What do? Literally no idea I just got cheap return flights for like $400.
>>
Was in Tokyo recently, made this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y56B6rhFqDA
Check it out if you want
>>
>>1209322
Just do it mate. I went alone for my first time in Japan and it was really fucking good. I met a lot of really nice Japanese people who I spent the days with, and met up with other foreigners who were alone there too. Even made friends with some of them.

And I basically improvised everything. The only thing planned was that I was staying in Tokyo and Osaka. Everything else was done on a day to day basis and I still saw pretty everything that interested me.
>>
>>1209335
camera's real shaky and exposure is too high,
but not that bad
>>
>>1209339
yeah, I know, I gotta get a tripod
>>
>>1209335
Kinda depressing anon :(
>>
>>1209335
Damn son, can your name get anymore Hispanic?

It was pretty good though, and yeah you should get a tripod. They can be pretty cheap-ish for a small one. Or you can get a stabilizer which would be better if you prefer filming while moving around.
>>
Anything to see in Northern Japan? I'll be living in Misawa for the foreseeable future. Besides snowboarding, I'd like to have an idea of what to see or do while I'm in Japan.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1209368
Lots of driving foremost? Touhoku is big and you get to take the ferry across to Hokkaido.
>>
>>1209031
Guess that's true, it's just irritating to hear some clueless would be "expert" who actually thinks Harajuku is just Takeshita Street talking about it smugly like he knows anything. Because everyone knows the home of some of the most famous high end streetwear brands in the world like Bathing Ape, Supreme, Neighborhood, etc. not too mention the sneakers and countless others--is just mall tier tourist trap shit for plebs, rights? Better go to Koenji instead. Fucking Christ. (Full disclosure, I like Koenji and I really like Shimokitazawa it's just clear this dude is trying to drop lesser known places and shit on famous places just to come off as special snowflake "in the know" and not a tourist).

>>1209094
Lol, Le "Akiba sucks Nakano Broadway is actually way better gaiz I swear" contrarian hipster meme?

Nakano Broadway isn't bad, and is probably better for finding like vintage western toys, but for the weebshit and just overall immersive experience it's really not close.

>>1209172
>Ikebukuro

Lol, why? I live near Ikebukuro and I just don't get it really. Its main attractions are girl weeb shit and fucking mizu shobai lmao.

>>1209182
I would say you don't really need 3 days to see Osaka. You basically need 1. Osaka is a fine base for Kansai and best for nightlife anyway. The castle is a replica and not that cool. Just hang out in Dotonbori/Shinsaibashi for an evening/night and you've seen the main attraction. 3 is probably pushing it for Kyoto, though 2 days is definitely good.

Check out Nara too for a day while you're in that area.
>>
>>1209382
>Lol, Le "Akiba sucks Nakano Broadway is actually way better gaiz I swear" contrarian hipster meme?
Completely agree, I've been to both many times and Akiba is way better for general weeb stuff. The amount of stores and variety it offers can't really be beat. Don't know why people keep repeating that shit, they probably heard it once somewhere and keep parroting it.
>>
>>1209345
I know, been looking at a few, will buy one when I get the chance.
Thanks, dude.
>>
Everytime I imagine going to Japan (or actually any place but it's stronger in Japan), I feel like a vidya character just let loose and you get to free-roam. Take odd jobs, learn shit, discover little nooks and crannies etc.

How doable is "vidya freeroam travel" in japan?
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 301x167px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 301x167px
>>1209539
>>1209539
>I feel like a vidya character just let loose and you get to free-roam
>vidya freeroam travel

What the fuck is this weapons grade autism? I don't even get what you're trying to express. Video games are more restrictive than real life.

Anyway.

>Take odd jobs
No.

>learn shit
Sure.

>discover little nooks and crannies
Sure.

Don't know if 2/3 is enough to satisfy your dreams of being Sonic the Hedgehog, but...
>>
I'm going to Japan in July for the second time, this time with the immediate senpai. We're tossing up between going to Naha or Sapporo for the last few days of our trip. Which city would offer the most for a family between the ages of 20 and 55?
I like the idea of going to Naha but have a feeling its just as commericalised as Honolulu, and the beaches will not be as good as Sydney beaches (where we're from).
And Sapporo seems to be more of an off-season attraction.
>>
>>1208995

You can go to the fish market at about 4/5am the next day after you land. It will fix your jetlag right away.
>>
>>1209568
>sapporo in summer
dunno about that senpai
>>
>>1209615
Thats what im asking about
>>
ayyy received muh tickets today.
>>
I am not quite sure so I'm just gonna ask: is the 7 day jr pass worth if i'm going from tokyo to osaka and from there day trips to kyoto, kobe and nara and then back to tokyo after 7 days?

Also: is the pass usable in tokyo or not?
>>
>>1209628
Use hyperdia and fucking look up your own route and do a two minute google search
>>
>>1209628
yeah. The 7 day pass is worth it for even just Tokyo->kyoto->tokyo
>>
>>1208607
Based
>>
Speaking of train passes what's the cheapest option for getting around Tokyo over 5 days? Get the 1000 yen metro pass every day?
>>
>>1209636
i think you can get a 3-day subway pass for cheaper if you're a traveller at some stations.
>>
>>1209629
Answer my second question then instead of being a dick
>>
Can i take the shinkansen with the jr pass?
>>
>>1209645
No of course not
>>
>>1209645
That's pretty much the point of that pass. Read the OP
>>
>>1209645
Really dude?

How can you even begin to consider travelling to another country if you can't figure out the answer to that question yourself?
>>
>>1209037
They do, but it's twice as expensive as the Shinkansen.

If I can get to Oita somehow, I can catch a bus for ~2300yen. What are my chances of catching a ride on the Oita Expressway if I hitchhike? I'm a 6'2, 240lb bearded gaijin.
>>
>>1208607
Übertreib halt spasti
>>
If I wanted to travel from Tokyo to Kobe what would be the cheapest way? Would hitchhiking work, are there any specific dangers?

Also what are some cool places to visit between Tokyo and Kobe?
>>
>>1209682
It's probably cheapest to take a night bus, but you won't be visiting other towns in between. As far as I know, hitchhiking isn't a thing in Japan.
>>
>>1209687
>hitchhiking isn't a thing in Japan
Strangely enough, I've heard the exact opposite; it should be easy for a foreigner to get a lift, especially after they made that TV show where they interview foreigners in Tokyo Airport about what they're going to do in Japan.

Just get on to an expressway and find a truck stop, then fly a sign.

I've read this both on Wikitravel and in a 1997 Japan guide book.

Also, the hosts I'm staying with right now in Japan say it's definitely a possibility, though it helps to be a beautiful girl.
>>
>>1209677
probably not that high but you can try. Have you tried calculating the way by local train?
>>1209682
depending on the time, you can get a Seishun 18 Ticket, which is like a cheaper Rail pass that you can buy inside the country. Only works on local trains, but I met people who used it to travel Kansai-Kyushu for example.
>>
>>1209693
it always helps to be a beatiful girl. for anything in life.
>>
>>1207819
>>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed
it's more like getting your weed fantasies crushed
>>
fucking Japan
>>
>>1208842
do not bring drugs with you.
>>
>>1208842
Fukuoka is an amazing city and if you get the chance, explore Tenjin a bit. Grab a bowl of tonkotsu ramen before heading to Tokyo since that is one of Fukuoka's specialty dishes.
>>
>>1209643
kys
>>
will ~$1000 spending money be fine for 2 weeks in japan. Hotels excluded.
>>
>>1209812
yes
>>
>>1209812
I'd say 10 000 yen a day for travel, food, sights and shopping at the least, maybe 15 on some days
>>
>>1209820
That's crazy, man
>>
>>1209821
It's not "at least ", but 10 k is a good estimate. You can spend as low as 1,5-2 k per day, but what's the point?
>>
>>1209677
> 6'2 240
Fat fuck
>>
>>1209825
cool boy
>>
>>1209693
hahah I was interviewed for that TV show you're talking about a few months ago, unfortunately I haven't found my clip yet
>>
>>1209824
Depends on your spending habits and what you mean by shopping I guess, but even if you eat good and ride to and fro in Tokyo, you can be pretty comfortable on 5k a day.
>>
>>1209825
Do you even lift?
>>
Moving to Japan in a few months, but for now I'm switching from my local bank to something like Chase or Bank of America.

Which would be best for use over in Japan? I know a lot of them have foreign withdrawal fees of 5$, which sounds like a real pain in the ass.
>>
>>1209906
If you are moving to Japan you should and should be able to get a Japanese bank account.
>>
>>1209829
If you were coming for tourism or teaching English it likely never made it to air
>>
I've made up my mind to go to Japan for roughly 2 weeks. Probably starting Tokyo and ending leaving from Osaka or vice versa. It's a bit daunting figuring out how to spend my time.

I'll be going on my own, which I'm ok doing. However I don't speak the language. I do have friends in the aformentioned cities but probably wouldn't spend a lot of time with them.
As a fan of Japanese cinema the more out there places and countryside interests me a lot, but I'm thinking being my first time, going on my own and not knowing any Japanese I might be better off sticking to the beaten path.

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone has a good guide or perhaps a good itinerary for planning this sort of trip?

While I think of it how's late march/early april in Japan?
>>
>>1209939
Yeah it was for tourism and I think the only interesting thing I said was "Donald Trump winning the US Election" when asked "what was the most shocking thing for you in the last year?"
>>
7 days in osaka as my basement with the jr pass.
Thinking about doing day trips from there to kyoto nara and kobe.
Should i leave out kobe and focus on the 3 or is it fine and worth seeing?
>>
>>1209945
No, you idiot, your question is totally original and it's not like all you have to do is to go through the previous thread and just google basic things before asking here
>>
I'm on a gap year and I would be sort of interested in working in japan some time in the middle of the year, but even from googling I can't seem to find what is good part time employment. In my job I already work cleaning a kitchen, waitressing, making coffee, food prep and post office clerk duties so I don't mind shitty jobs. I'm not 20 till late July but looking at the terms and conditions of the working holiday visa I can't work in a bar regardless so I assume it wouldn't matter. I've been to Japan twice before on holidays and never really saw a foreigner working anywhere but I'd really like to stay for a few months but couldn't afford that without working to at least pay rent. I know very basic Japanese. Does anyone have suggestions or have done this before or is this a bit of a waste of time and not really worth it?
>>
>>1208595
http://www.kfm.to/index.php/19-teaching-jobs/3512-german-teacher-in-umeda-on-sun
>>
Probably a common question, but can I get by with only very basic Japanese?
>>
>>1209993
yes. you could get by with none
>>
>>1209994
Thank you very much, anon. I'm gonna learn some basic things but I struggle a lot with non-Latin languages so I hope I'm gonna be okay.
>>
>>1209976
compensated dating

Bring your high school uniform
>>
>>1209976
You could do a work exchange for a hostel. You work 20 hours a week and get to stay for free.
>>
>>1209998
my school uniform was ugly because I went to a public school, unfortunately, polos and spray jackets are not kawaii.
>>1210001
that sounds pretty good actually, do you happen to already have any links to any of these?
>>
>>1210002
I think you can ask basically any hostel. A friend of mine is doing it at a hostel chain called Khaosan. Just look it up. It's a really good option if you're just staying for a couple of months, but for long term, I'm not sure. I'm actually about to embark on a working holiday myself, but I don't wanna spend half a year or so in a hostel and I need to be able to save up money too.
>>
what kind of baito can I get without having to remove my beard? plus, anyone know if it's possible to become an English teacher for kids without being a native speaker? would an advanced English certificate be enough?
>>
>>1209955
>when he types "base" it gets autocorrected to "basement"
that's pretty revealing anon
>>
I'm going with a couple of friends in the Kansai region for two weeks; first week we'll be staying at some other friends near Kyoto, and one week we'll be staying in Osaka

Question:
is airbnb a better option over hostels? for the same money (60-80 euros) it seems that we'd have much better housing conditions, which leads me to think there must be a catch

am I missing something obvious or?
if anyone has suggestions in general regarding accommodation in Osaka it would be more than appreciated (even previous experiences)
>>
>>1210001
>>1210002
>>1210005
I'd be careful about that

http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20161013/p2a/00m/0na/004000c
>>
>>1210012
I don't think you'll have to remove your beard for most baito.
>anyone know if it's possible to become an English teacher for kids without being a native speaker?
I know for sure that it's possible, not sure if it's easy though.

>>1210015
It depends, but I would say in most cases Airbnb is better.
>>
>>1210016
>both on short-term visas that did not allow for them to work.
>>
Just booked tickets for the end of the year, I make furniture for a living and Japanese tools are a joy to work with. I'll be staying in Tokyo for the majority of the time, does anyone know of any stores that sell hand tools in Tokyo?
>>
>>1210021
/diy/ might be a better shot for that.
>>
File: 1469552781929.jpg (63KB, 627x335px)
1469552781929.jpg
63KB, 627x335px
I'll be working in Nagoya for a month in July, I get my weekends off. Is it better to take a week to look around Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe or can I see most of the things on my free weekends? I assume there must be some cheap buses I can take.

Also any good tips for the Nagoya region?
>>
>>1210016
shit, I was thinking about doing that. Even confirmed my stay and everything.
>>
For those who work in Japan: What kind of job do you do?
>>
>>1210152
Porn star
>>
>>1208990
the night bus
>>
Spontaneous trip to Japan since there are award seats available and I have 14 days off. Going to spend 12 nights there. Flying into Narita and leaving Kansai.

Thinking of Tokyo -> Hiroshima -> Kyoto with side trips to places. Side-trips to Nara and Himejima. Any other must-do side trips? Fuji? This is for March 9-21
>>
>>1210190
Miyajima
Rabbit Island if you're into that
I've heard Onomichi is cash
Fushimi Inari
Might as well spend some time in Osaka
>>
>>1210156
You are probably joking, but I actually met a guy who works on the porn industry in Thailand.
>>
Anyone here been to the Nara Dreamland lately? I hear it's easy to get into but demolition has been going on recently.
>>
>>1210244
Most of the pictures you see online are from what I can tell 3-4 years old. Large sections have been demolished to recycle steel and and aluminum. I have never been in the park, but driving by it is significantly reduced
>>
Is the world hobby fair worth going to just to see stuff this coming Sunday? I happen to be in the area, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it compared to going to Kyoto for another day or something instead.
>>
How much are hostels a day in like Osaka and Tokyo? Gonna go there at the last week of may
>>
>>1210194
Thanks. I think a day trip to hakone would be great as well. Or just spend a day there?

Also, has any one ever experienced hostels? I've never traveled alone before and am somewhat introverted. But it seems a good option for a cheap room while I'm sightseeing.
>>
>>1210272
i'm going around a similar time, they look to be around $30-$40 AUD a night.
>>
What's the best time of year to visit Japan?
>>
>>1210292
The three best events of the year are hanami, hanabi, and halloween
>>
>>1209713
>>
>>1209812
thats perfectly fine, spent 200 on a console, 100 at osakas tobita shinchi and i only blew like 1k for two weeks with souvenirs as well.
>>
>>1210292
Spring is supposed to be beautiful because of the cherry blossoms, but it's also when every tourist goes there.
>>
>>1209976
There are a few foreigners working at the 7/11 near my hostel. Though I guess you would need to know day to day Japanese.
>>
Has anyone stayed at Kashiwaya Rokan? If so, how is it?
>>
>>1209278
Awww babby weeb had his dreams crushed.
>>
>>1209278
I was in Japan for a month, I really didn't want to leave once my time was up.

But I wasn't a weeb or anything, so I didn't get any of my fantasies crushed, because they didn't exist.
>>
whats tinder like in japan? Is it commonly used?
I'm sure there would be lots of gaijin hunters, will i get constant matches from them?
>>
>>1210446
Tinder is very good for meeting girls here. Most of the girls on Tinder are pretty cute (really you could say that about young women in general in Japan) and most of them speak at least passable English.
>>
>>1207972
Pick an onsen that has private baths in room.
>>
>>1208549
Shirahama in wakayama prefecture, a couple places around Toba and Owae and Shima in Mie prefecture, but that is more often the beaten path for western tourists and not worth it if you are on a tight schedule, more of a quiet resort type location.
>>
>>1210452
Seconding Shirahama. It's out of the way, but it's worth it. They import their sand, so they have sandy beaches instead of small rocks. The water is clear and you may see a few small tropical fish. There are also many onsens in the area.
>>
>>1210450
Have you been on any dates? How did it go?

I'll probably be traveling to Japan this summer alone and might want to try it. After all I can just never see them again if I'm too big an autist.
>>
File: 1473741581145.gif (2MB, 320x218px)
1473741581145.gif
2MB, 320x218px
Welp. I'm going to have to bail on a trip with friends in April and am instead planning a 2-week trip in October with my 16-year-old niece.

All of the planning so far has been done as a group, centered around being with other adults in Spring. Instead I'll be chaperoning an admittedly good kid and have no previous experience in Japan myself (that friends had) in Autumn.
That said, I know enough Japanese to get around and am familiar with general cultural custom, I just need to actually plan shit to do now instead of following my friends around.

So far I've got:
>Rent AirBnB apartment for a couple of days in Tokyo.
>Go to Disneyland and Sea.
>Don't leave niece at apartment to go get shitfaced in Roppongi.
>Fly West and do Nara park.

Obviously I've got plenty of time to do this, but if you guys have any recommendations for the best places to visit in Autumn it'd be appreciated.

>Also worth asking: My niece is half Thai and clearly looks 'SE Asian.' Are people in less urban areas going to be cunts about it?
>>
>>1210461
>Are people in less urban areas going to be cunts about it

Lmao, people in all areas are going to be massive cunts about it.
>>
>>1210464
Are they seriously, or is it a meme? Admittedly she can't understand a word of Japanese, but I'd be ready to smack a nip if they get too rude.
>>
>>1210465
No seriously, they will. Japs are like Arabs, even though surrounding countries have a population of people with a similar race to them, they fucking hate them with a passion and think of them as inferior.

The only race Japs hate more than blacks is other Asians.
>>
>>1210450
Do you know any thing about the other way around?
>>
>>1210466
Eh, we'll see how we go. With a little makeup she might just look like she's from Okinawa.

It's not like she'll ever be by herself.
>>
>>1210461
Seagull-anon, is that you?

You'll be fine since you're tourists and have a basic understanding of cultural customs. What does your niece like to do? Find common interests and plan around that. Shopping, cute themed cafes, concerts, sampling local foods, and historical sites are easy, fun things to do.
>>
File: daily_picdump_2026_40.jpg (62KB, 600x898px) Image search: [Google]
daily_picdump_2026_40.jpg
62KB, 600x898px
hey guys. whats the deal with himeji castle right now? is it covered? can you go in? is there an infinitely long line? whats a good weekday to take a trip there? will it take a whole day?

thanks
>>
I'm 19 and want to go and drink in Japan will they refuse me or ask for ID?
>>
Hi guys.

3 nights in Tokyo, 3 nights in Kyoto, 3 nights in Osaka, back to Tokyo for 2 nights.

Planning to do on a day out from Osaka to Nara and a day out from Tokyo to Fuji. 2x people, first time travelers to Japan. Does this itinerary look ok?

We're staying in a cheap pod in Tokyo, traditional Japanese house in Kyoto and hotel in Osaka.

Also, JR Rail Pass, worth it for the above?

Thanks
>>
>>1210495
Are you Asian? If not, then there's a 99% chance they will never ask you for ID.

And if you want to go clubbing in Tokyo, go to Roppongi instead of Shibuya, they won't ask for ID there.
>>
>>1210497
No, JR Pass is not worth it for the itinerary you've got.
>>
>>1210503
Can you explain why you say that because when I looked into it, the JP Pass came out a lot cheaper - I'm assuming I could use it in and around city centers, is this not the case?
>>
>>1210506
Well, if it's cheaper then yeah sure, go ahead and buy it.

I thought that you were just going to use it to get to Osaka from Tokyo, then get to Tokyo from Osaka, then use it to get to Fuji from Tokyo.

You can only use the JR Pass on the Shinkansen, and the JR Lines for the subways.

And most (if not all) of the lines that take you around the city centers aren't JR Lines.
>>
>>1210507
Hey. We're planning to use the JP Pass to get from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Osaka, Osaka back to Tokyo. If we're using it for this along then I thought it would be worth it, as its cheaper.

I didn't realize that you cannot use it in cities, I thought that some of the stations were in the deal.
>>
>>1210510
Kyoto is like 30 minutes from Osaka with a normal train, so it's cheap as fuck.

But hey, if you worked it all out and it came out as a cheaper option to use the JR Pass, then don't listen to me; I'm just a retard on the internet.

And yeah, the JR Lines in the cities are only for long distance stuff within cities. Most of the time it's all just normal subway lines that you have to use the PASMO/SUICA card for. And honestly, I don't remember seeing a single JR subway line in Osaka, only a couple in Tokyo.
>>
>>1210511
Thanks, nah this is super helpful. Like I said, neither of us have been to JP before so I'm happy for any advice I'm given (even from retards on the internet). I was a bit thrown off balance by your instant 'No, not worth it', but I can see that it definitely is.
>>
>>1210510

I had the same itinerary as you (except mine include Nagoya). My cost (if not using the JR Pass) is about 25000 yen. It's not worth it unless you are using it to travel to Hokkaido, or farther in the South IMO.

And yeah, what >>1210511 said about inner city subways, you are better off buying day pass, or just single tickets (both can be bought easily from the ticket machines without any knowledge of Japanese).
>>
>>1210522
I'm going to Hiroshima as well as Kyoto Tokyo Osaka so I think it's probably worth it for me. Anything interesting further north? I only have 12 days so I don't have much time. Maybe I'll just save north for next time.
>>
how do I leave the Yakuza
>>
>>1210525
Nikko makes a great last day trip in order to get out of the hustle and bustle of tokyo.
>>
>>1210529
I was thinking of spending 5 days in Tokyo with day trips to Hokane and Nikko, 2 in Hiroshima with Miyajima, then 5 in Kyoto with day trips to Himeji, Osaka, Nara, then leave from Kansai. It might be too ambitious though and too hectic to enjoy with all the traveling.
>>
>>1210531
I did a day trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima. Both can be done in one day because there's barely anything to see in Hiroshima other than the peace museum which takes an hour and eating hiroshima styled okonomiyaki. You can probably cut a day from there.

Kawaguchiko is a nice alternative to Hakone if you wish to visit a more rural area with less tourists and with a better view of Fuji. Nara can be done in half a day if you wake up early. I dont know if you plan to visit all the temples but you can easily not take that much time there.
>>
I wanted to climb Mt Fuji, but when I think about it it seems like a pain in the ass.
I love hiking in forests and mountains full of green sceneries, but Mt Fuji looks kinda unapealing with more or less rocks everywhere.
There are a lot of people and you have to wait in line at some sections.
There is a toll for entering and staying overnight is also expensive.
As a tourist you have to either bring your own clothes and gears for the hike, or find a moment to buy some in Japan, either way you'll have to drag them during your stay.

Are these concerns foolish?
Anybody else felt the same but went for it anyway? Any regret or relief?

I'm trying to plan a trip with some nice walks and hikes, but I'm not sure I want to stress myself with the planning on Mt Fuji.
>>
>>1210533
There are two kinds of fools in this world. Those who never climbed Fuji-san, and those who climbed Fuji-san more than once.
>>
>>1210525

Hokkaido is cool. The air is very fresh and I love the winter scenery (with the snow and everything). We only stayed there for 4 nights though and barely scratched the surface. Definitely coming back here for a 2 week trip in the future.
>>
>>1210522
Thanks for the info, good advice here. In the end we've decided to add Hiroshima to our itinerary so we feel the JR Pass is definitely paying for its self now. We're going to get one of those Jap oyster cards for inner city rail/subway travel, but also there is a main subway line that you can use the JR Pass on that seems to go to most of the places we want to visit anyway, which we're happy about.
>>
File: 20160701_183148.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px)
20160701_183148.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1210497
I think the pass is worth it if you do the week pass and start it the day you go to Kyoto then when you get to Tokyo end it. You can also use the pass a bit in Kyoto, the JR lines run to the major parts of town. Reconsider the capsule hotel though, there's cheaper and comfier options for 2 people.

>>1210526
Next time you go to get a tattoo lick your finger instead so when you try and place it on it looks like the gods are rejecting you.

>>1210533
These concerns aren't foolish. I don't regret climbing the mountain but I'm not entirely sure it was worth the hassle since when I got to the top the view was completely obscured by clouds.
>>
>>1210593
Thank you, I would recommend the JR Pass to anyone. I thought I had timed it so that the week would include my travel to Kyoto and back to Tokyo, so glad you have confirmed that it will work.
>>
Fuck it's been like 8 months since I got back from Japan and I still really miss it. I had a dream about going there last night.
>>
File: 1453986708534.jpg (10KB, 184x135px) Image search: [Google]
1453986708534.jpg
10KB, 184x135px
>>1209829

>tfw was interviewed when I was leaving Tokyo

The world will never know about my anime escapades
>>
I'm going for a month in April/May with a budget of 240k JPY. Getting a JR pass. Should I book stuff or will I get by last minute (on a budget)?
>>
>>1207972
I don't know any specific ones, but keywords to look out for or ask about are

家族風呂
Kazoku-buro
貸切風呂
Kashikiri-buro

These are both private baths where you don't have to worry about your tattoos.
>>
>>1210677
That's prime cherry blossom-viewing season followed by Golden Week. You had better make reservations well beforehand.
>>
>>1208549
South of Izu, my moms recommendation
>>
>>1210696
Prime cherry blossom season is late march/early april unless you're viewing in hokkaido or something
>>
I'm somehow really intrigued by Naoshima Island.
It looks like it could be either amazing or disapointing.
Anybody spent a day there?
>>
File: himeji.jpg (3MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
himeji.jpg
3MB, 4208x2368px
>>1210461
I am not Asian, but I did spend some time together with a SEA-looking Australian guy who went around speaking English to everyone (i.e. not even trying to speak Japanese). Nobody gave a shit and I don't think anyone will about your niece either.

>>1210485
I was there last year. I don't know how it is now, but the only thing that was covered was one gate, the restoration of the castle (i.e. the tenshu) is already finished. You can go inside, there weren't any long lines when I went (March). The castle will take a few hours, the city itself isn't all that interesting though.
>>
First time traveler here. I'm doing an exchange program in a Tokyo university.

I will be arriving the 10th of March. Classes start till the 18th. I want to visit Hokkaido while it's still winter. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to book a round fly from Narita to Sapporo the same day I arrive to Japan? I would like to stay 3 or 4 days there and then come back to Tokyo.

I'm a newbie traveler so I don't know how taxing it would be.
>>
So could I get fucked in US customs if I have (loli) doujins and a Tenga in my carry-on bag or checked baggage on my way back to California?
>>
>>1210757
Legally, drawn depictions of underage minors count as cp
>>
>>1210757
I`ve done it before with no problems.
>>
>>1210761
That's a relief. Where did you have the doujins? On your carry on or your checked baggage?
>>
>>1210757
It's California, of course you'll be okay
>>
>>1210760
Nobody has been prosecuted in the US solely for 2D as far as I know, they always have actual CP in addition to it
>>
>>1210776
Pedo detected
>>
>>1210780
:^)
>>
>>1210731
What university?
>>
How difficult is Mount Fuji to climb? I have a small amount of hiking experience and did a lot of steep climbs when I was in the military with a 60kg backpack. I'm somewhat fit these days.
>>
>>1209568
Don't be in sopporo. Car rentals are cheap as hell here. Rent and drive through Hokkaido. Camp. Tent grounds are all over, and food is cheap. Screw the cities,and get out and see shit. Guarantee you'll have a blast. Hokkaido in Summer is paradise.
>>
>>1209687
Done it. Is a thing. Some people drive past, others don't. Helps to not be a mouth breather. I live in Kansai, do it here.
>>
>>1209976
I live here full time. (Cause I got a waifu). I wanted to learn how to make sushi on the side and walked I to a restaurant, asked if I could work there, and was told to come for an interview a few days later. Behold, be friendly, and know some Japanese. Smile
>>
What's a better place to visit, Hiroshima or Nagasaki?
>>
>>1210797

I found it way easier than advertised. Took 3 hours from the place where the bus stops. And that was not in the official climbing season,
>>
>>1210874
Hiroshima
>>
>>1210876
Is there not much at all of interest at nagasaki? How's the petting zoo?
>>
>>1210877
Fuck if I know, I've only been to Hiroshima.

If you go to Hiroshima you get to see the building that's in the OP's post, and you get to visit a really cool WW2 museum.

Don't know why you'd pick a petting zoo over witnessing history with your own eyes.
>>
File: Geta2.jpg (83KB, 1701x1105px)
Geta2.jpg
83KB, 1701x1105px
This may be a long shot but here we go.
Many years ago (maybe 10 or so) I saw on NHK a coverage about a geta matsuri.
Geta is that sandal made of wood with one or two "teeth" or whatever (see picture).

The thing is, I don't remember where the festival happens, nor where, nor if it's still a thing. All I remember is that some people danced for quite a long time wearing getas and sounded awesome.
Does anyone have any info about it?
>>
Are 1.1k USD enough for 2 weeks when the jr pass/acvommodation and flight has been taken care of?
>>
I'm planning to go to Sendai this Mid April, is it a good idea to spend two nights there to see the Shibata park with over 1000 sakura trees and explore the surrounding area? This is what I have in mind with my JR pass, an alternative would be to just do a day tour from Tokyo as base. JR pass is the 5-day one for tohoku area.
>>
>>1210889
Yep.
>>
File: assburger.png (523B, 20x22px) Image search: [Google]
assburger.png
523B, 20x22px
>>1210731
Winter stops the moment it is March.
>>
>>1210793

Meiji University

>>1210909

Oh, do you think It would still be snowing by then?
>>
I just got invited to an onsen by a 33 year old married woman.

Is she just being friendly or does she want the dick? Is single men hanging out with married women in Japan a faux pas?
>>
>>1211050
who cares
fuck her
>>
>>1211050
Why don't you accept the invitation and see what happens

If she wants to fuck, then fuck. If she's being friendly, then be friendly back.

There's literally nothing to lose.
>>
>>1211050
Cheating cultural is accepted but the onsen is probably split genders. If she wanted to fuck it's much easier at a love hotel. No one wants jizz in an onsen
>>
>>1211050
Which onsen?

There are very very few mixed gender onsens. Theres more private ones however.
>>
Given a choice between Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto, where would you live for a year?

I'm leaning towards Kyoto because I don't like living in massive cities, but if you can talk me out of it, please try!
>>
>>1211077
good thing about living in either Kyoto or Osaka is that they're both near each other
>>
>>1211077
I guess it would depend on your definition of "living" there for a year. You can live on the outskirts of Tokyo without having that feeling of massive cities that I'm guessing are lots of moving people and tall buildings.
>>
>>1211077
Tokyo desu, live somewhere like kichijoji where you can access the city easily but it's not smack in the middle of central tokyo
>>
>>1211079
>>1211083

I guess the only thing putting me off Tokyo is the price of things. My friend from osaka told me my money is worth half as much there.

I've only been there for 2 weeks and I was staying in the city, so I have no idea how true that is.
>>
>>1210885
From a quick Google search, this thing popped up:

http://www.rurubu.com/event/detail.aspx?ID=13491

It's a regular Obon festival but with more of a focus on geta. It's in mid-August in Wakayama prefecture. If you're interested, I can translate more of the page.
>>
Is /trv/ meant for vacations and moving to a country or only for vacations?

Because lately I have been thinking about moving to japan because I am just tired or western culture. That is pretty weebish to say but its true. For reference the decision has nothing to do with anime/manga shit.

I just have a few questions about their visas but I don't want to clutter up a board I don't use.
>>
So you can't enter an Onsen if you're tattooed, is that correct?
>>
>>1211108
For private onsens, there should be no problem.
For public, it depends on the institution, but the vast majority of them bar persons with tattoos. If it's small enough that you can cover it with a bandage or salonpas strip, you may be able to get away with it.
>>
>>1211077
I prefer Osaka. You can live on the outskirts and still have access to the big city. It's also much cheaper than Tokyo. Tokyo is cool too and has even more foreigners, but I've been to both and I really love Osaka. Kyoto is a huge city too imo with too many tourists like Tokyo.

Kansai > Kanto any day

>>1211107
I recommend emailing the Japanese Consulate for visa matters instead of taking advice from strangers here.
>>
>>1211122
Right right. I just need to google more as well. Thank you.
>>
>>1211122
>Kansai > Kanto any day

I definitely agree with this but

Everything outside Kanto is better. The real beauty of Japan is outside of its capital.
>>
>>1211077
Definitely not Kyoto. Tokyo has more to do but Osaka is more friendly. If you can speak Japanese Osaka will probably be more fun, if you can't the only real choice is Tokyo
>>
new thread >>1211184
>>
1) What is the best time to visit Japan? Summer/winter?

2) What is the best city to stay in

3) What is a MUST to do?

4) What is a MUST to avoid?

5) Is it true Asians (also guys) like seeing white people and follow them?
>>
>>1209976
What program are you using?
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.