[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 44

File: Kurokawa.jpg (147KB, 708x388px) Image search: [Google]
Kurokawa.jpg
147KB, 708x388px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1199649
>>
File: 20170109_135953.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170109_135953.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>when there is a Skyline GT-R just oustide of your house like it's the most normal thing in the world
>>
File: 70002052393016091100100.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
70002052393016091100100.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>1202605
Speaking of Skylines, I've been thinking about purchasing a DR30 in Japan and bringing it back to the US. Is this feasible?
http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/15/700020523930160911001.html
>>
Have a ticket to Osaka 26th and back from Tokyo the week after. Going mostly to take photos and have some nice food.

How is the weather, any chance (risk) of heavy snow or is that further north?

Looking for nice areas for photography. Small bars, arcades and similar areas would be great to hear about. I've been to akihabara twice.

Anywhere between the cities worth stopping by alone? I have friends in both cities but none in the places between.
>>
>>1202653
Ask your friends Osaka and Tokyo.
>>
Anyone been to Ginzan Onsen? Was it nice?
>>
File: 20160426_161603.jpg (6MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160426_161603.jpg
6MB, 5312x2988px
>>
File: jp2020.jpg (64KB, 799x547px) Image search: [Google]
jp2020.jpg
64KB, 799x547px
shoulda gone yesterday
>>
File: mk3.jpg (133KB, 617x900px) Image search: [Google]
mk3.jpg
133KB, 617x900px
don't know about beer prices - I'm a whisky drinker. But my advice is forget buying spirits duty free or bringing anything with you. It's a nuisance carrying it and the whisky prices inside Japan are cheaper than anywhere I ever seen it sold on earth ... can't believe there aren't booze artists lining the streets 24/7

check out supermarket shelves - those are 4 litre pet bottles
>>
File: jxv2a5Y.jpg (486KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jxv2a5Y.jpg
486KB, 1920x1080px
I am a 19 year old and i have always wanted to travel but moneys always been a problem- my question is, how much would it cost to visit Tokyo for about 2 weeks? i am not planning on staying in a really good hotel but a decent one would be great. Just the cost for staying and travelling is all i want to know!
>>
>>1202605
fucking steal it anon

i would
>>
>>1202703
depends what you are willing to put up with, cheap flights can get you there for ~700 depending where you live and airbnb/hostels can be ~30 a night.

The rest depends what you want to see/do there
>>
>>1202703
I'm heading out to Tokyo next month. Best advice I can give is book your airline tickets EARLY. I got mine a month and a half in advance for around $835, taxes and other bs charges included. As for the hotel, I've booked at Hotel Mystays Asakusa. It's a decent place. The rooms are small, but the beds are comfy. That one is only running me ¥83,230 for 10 days. There are cheaper places to stay, of course, but as far as I'm concerned, Mystays Asakusa hits the sweet spot between budget vs. comfort.
>>
>>1202726
A follow up: I could have flown cheaper, but that would have meant more connecting flights on shittier airlines. It's a direct flight, via Etihad. I definitely came out on top.
>>
>>1202726
Thanks for the reply, and yeah I will book the flight early I just wanted to know round about how much i really needed for travel and living overall so i know how much to put aside for that. 83,230 yen is about £600 its not a bad price but i would try and find one maybe a bit cheaper as and enjoy your trip bro!
>>
>>1202733
I looked around for some cheaper places, for shits and giggles, and found a couple that may work for you. For two weeks, there:s a dormitory option for just USD$279, and I did find a single occupancy room for USD$334.

I found both these places, and the Hotel Mystays Asakusa on booking.com. I highly recommend them.
>>
>>1202726
>>1202733
I've seen direct flights for ~550€ if you book at the right time (about 5 months in advance). Shitty flights with stops get you down to maybe 400€.

Toyoko Inn or other buisiness hotels cost about ¥5000-7000 per night. This gets you a tiny hotel room with a bed and bath (with a tub), internet access, refrigerator and water boiler, plus Japanese breakfast (onigiri, tea, miso soup and vegetables, coffee and buttered toast).
>>
>>1202738
Thanks bro i will definitely check them out

>>1202741
That sound perfect, i'll look into that thanks!

One of the big things I'm looking forward to is trying out the food. I heard japan has some great street food.
>>
Where you all get your haircut here? I just received a disaster on par with "just fuck my shit up" meme and need to do someyhing. So sick of having shit haircuts here.

I'm in Saitama city but willing to go to tokyo even
>>
>>1202748
Japan just has great food in general. The street food isn't particularly notable is in some other countries, but the food quality is top notch. Lived there for 2 years and had maybe 1 bad meal my entire time. Everything is either good or great.
>>
File: Daigoji.jpg (1MB, 817x1145px) Image search: [Google]
Daigoji.jpg
1MB, 817x1145px
>>1202703

If you're staying in hotels, they'll be the biggest expense. You can see online the approximate cost but my experience was maybe USD60 per night will get decent, reasonably located but not luxury. Accomm cost is also highly seasonal.

Your image is of Diagoji on the edge of Kyoto - accessible from a subway station in the autum viewing time - ultra high season and everything booked well in advance for Kyoto. Ditto for cherry blossom viewing season everywhere in Japan.

What do you want to see/do in Japan? Have you considered going in through Osaka Kansai Airport? Might be a lot cheaper if you don't have any specific Tokyo goals.

For only two weeks I recommend focusing on what you want to see most first time rather than spending a LOT of time travelling around trying to see the lot.
>>
>>1202748
Buddy, if you're looking for cheapness, shouldn't you be considering an airbnb or a hostel rather than a hotel?
>>
So I'm going with some friends to Japan in August, and this is going to be the first time for any of us travelling internationally alone, or to japan at all, and I'm doing research for the itinerary right now.

Is Comiket feasible/recommended for a first-timer? I know the crowds are intense and there's so much going on but I'm wondering how capable it would be for a group of Americans with limited understanding of Japanese (We're studying the language but we'll be far from fluent) to buy Doujins and merch. I've been to a couple big conventions here in the states but there's nothing that comes close to the scale of Comiket.
>>
>>1202795
It depends on how much you want to get out of it.
You guys will be fine turning up a couple of hours in if you just want to stroll around a bit. Entry is free, the location is easy to find. Prices will be labelled so just point at what you want.

If you want the popular stuff then that's different.
You'll be taking the first train in the morning, queuing for hours outside then queuing for an hour inside for each table. Even then they still might sell out before you get there.
You can buy the catalog before the event from bookstores which has an artist index inside with pictures and a map. Plan out your route beforehand.

Definitely helps to have someone who can speak and read Japanese with you to figure out which queue is for what. And I wouldn't travel in big groups, it's very easy to get separated.
>>
>>1202795
You can always visit one of the smaller comic events. There's usually at least one every month.
>>
>>1202795
A few people who generally post here went to the last Comiket. Some of their posts are in some of the old Japan General threads, so that might be useful.
>>
>>1202699
they only go Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto/Nara and a few to kobe, hiroshima, and Hokkaido for skiing. Honestly if you get even ten feet off the beaten path there are few tourists.
>>
>>1202823
This.

You also need to realize a lot of these numbers are coming from people doing short guided vacations. Stay away from tourist traps and you'll probably be fine like most places.

I can't imagine the number of tourists who get off the plane, spend a their time in Tokyo then hop on a bus, boat, or train to X destination and stay there. As the travel guide/agency they went to told them it was a steal and everywhere else doesn't speak English!
>>
>>1202702
It depends on what you drink. Whisky is cheap and in general its pretty cheap to get drunk in Japan. But a lot of other liquors are more expensive since they are not sold above 1 liter
>>
>>1202702
Those whiskeys are shit to be honest. But even the higher end stuff there is super cheap, found a bottle of JW blue for like $130 which is ridiculous
>>
>>1202795
look at the maps beforehand (there's an online catalogue you can download that has maps and lists of where every artist will be on what days). plan your route in advance and prioritize what you really want. keep in mind that even with all your planning you may not get what you want in the end anyway
>>
Pls give christmas cake line numbers thx.
>>
>>1202765
I just go to the local salon.
>>
What are the requirements to get a student visa for language courses?
And also, what are the cheapest/best value courses out there? I don't assume Sunday classes would cut it, right?
>>
Where can I get into gay crossplay groups?
>>
>>1202765
Get a some clippers and a pair of scissors and diy scrub.
>>
>>1202881
you can pirate Rosetta Stone
>>
>>1202605

this is a dream
>>
>>1202702
what the fuck? is that 40% alcohol? that's dirt cheap
>>
File: mt_Kinka.jpg (509KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
mt_Kinka.jpg
509KB, 2048x1536px
>>1202823
Very much this. Heck, the last time I went to Japan, we took a day-trip out to Gifu, and I didn't see any other foreign tourists.

On a side note, the people in Gifu are wonderful. On the hike up Mt. Kinka, as we were going up, people going down would smile, say hello, and were generally friendly. We stepped off to one of the smoking areas on the side for a break/taking in the views, and this elderly couple approached us and gave me and my friends some tangerines! 10/10 would hike Mt. Kinka again.
>>
>>1202823
>Honestly if you get even ten feet off the beaten path there are few tourists.
I walked from Ueno to Okachimachi and the rapid decrease in tourists was pretty hilarious.
>>
>>1202809
Is there a list of these somewhere?
>>
File: JET-programme-banner-2.png (33KB, 804x477px) Image search: [Google]
JET-programme-banner-2.png
33KB, 804x477px
Passed the application for the JET Program again this year.
Last year I got the interview but I didn't get accepted.
Any tips when going into the interview again for JET?
>>
Anybody stayed through the JET program?
>>
Rather, anyone have tips and information about the JET program?
>>
File: IMG_1352.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1352.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Jesus fuck, this Certificate of Eligibility sure takes some time.

In the meantime, have a sunrise from Fuji.
>>
>>1203012
Prepare sample lesson plans, both 5-10 minutes and a full hour and pretend you are going to implement them as practice. Be social, interact with your fellow interviewers and interviewees. Smile, sounds stupid, but smiling a lot during interview process helps. Japanese want stereotypical friendly gaijin with sunny personalities. Also dress professional, suit tie etc. I had some dumb shit show up in cargo shorts, needless to say his complete disregard for protocol got him shit canned.
>>
>>1202962
https://portal.circle.ms/Event/
>>
Going to hit a few bars around Roppongi recommended from the last thread. What time to things pick up and get busy? 10pm or so?
>>
>>1203023
So you're a JET Alumni and faculty then? What are some things you are looking for when you're judging an ideal candidate?
>>
^
>>
What are something you would do in Japan if you got the chance to go. Asking 'cause I'm too lazy to plan my travels and I know you people have given this a lot of thought. Need to make me an itinerary .
>>
>>1202703
I've been in Japan this October for little over 2 weeks and here are my expenses:
Plane ticket (Budapest->Istambul->Tokyo): 500USD,
JR Pass for two weeks: 480USD
Stayed in hostels except one night at Koyasan ryokan (which actually cost around the same as 4 days in Tokyo): 500USD
Food, entry fees, 2 week sim card and very little souvenirs for two weeks: 500USD (aka around 250USD a week).

Bought my breakfast and lunch from the 7elevens and had a hot meal for dinner. And since I backpacked I bought very little souvenirs.
>>
>>1203036
Star in a JAV. Anon all you need to do is walk around akihabara with weeb shirts on and an american hat.

You'll get laid in no time
>>
>>1203043
But anon, I'm Canadian.
>>
>>1203044
it was a joke anon, people generally aren't going to wait on you hand and foot to try and figure out what to do. Why not read some of the Japan Generals and figure out what other people are doing and what might interest you instead.

This is a slow moving board you could easily go back like 10 Generals and figure something out
>>
>>1203047
Yeah I was googling abunch but I figured you guys would have better taste. I guess I should just look into the generals, I've been putting it off for a while.
So should I not go to akihabara with an American hat and a weeb shirt?
>>
>>1203048
>So should I not go to akihabara with an American hat and a weeb shirt?

Only if you are looking to get fucked, and by that I mean your wallet. Just wear your normal shit in Japan
>>
I booked a trip to Japan for July, around 10 days but let's say 8 days in total when you take away travelling times. I'll start following these generals to see what's good to see and go to. The only thing I know is that I want it to be an atmospheric trip and not a 'checking as many sights as possible of a list' type
>>
>>1203036
Depends what you like or looking for.
You could stay in the bigger cities and enjoy the city/night life or you could buy a jr pass and travel the country visiting the less known/touristy places. Start by deciding the length of your trip, then google for "x day itinerary japan" and read up on what people did or enjoyed. Found these a very helpful when I was planning.
If you stay in cities you can just book your accomodations and be done. However if you plan to travel a lot, I advise you to make a detailed plan on how/when/where to board trains. I basically toured a ciity at day and travelled to my next destination at evening. And since the trains are punctual I never had issues getting to places. I might have overorganized it, but here is my plan I put together and followed through except going to Nikko, I was rather tired by the time I got to Tokyo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2239466/Japan.xlsx
>>
>>1203044
Make sure you have a Canadian flag on your backpack, so they will think you are an American on the down-low.
>>
Hey guys, I have one week left to fill in my Japan trip schedule and was wondering, according to your experiences what city (near Tokyo preferably) is the cheapest to stay in? Accomodation-wise, mostly.
>>
Some anon (>>1202397) mentioned some mountain temple called Yomomiya last thread, saying it was easily reachable from Sendai... where the hell is that?

The only other mention of a place named like that I found was in another old Japan General, but there it was described as "30 min from Shibuya by Chuo line", which makes me think it's maybe some mixup with Mt. Takao, some case of misread kanji, or similiar. Other than that, all I get are anime references.
>>
>>1203057
> google for "x day itinerary japan"
That's a darn good idea right there anon. Also that schedule is pretty nifty, you planned the shit out of that trip. I like to meander a lot, would I need that much of a strict schedule or will a to-do list be OK ?
>>1203058
Will do, I'll even work on my Yankee accent for prosperity
>>
>>1203069
Well, since I had to arrive to my new hostels by a given time I planned my travels to be sure. I don't think I would've been able to come up with cheap places to stay if I were to miss my check in times.
Planning trains is easy with hyperdia and jr pass, so you can be less organized there since you can just plan those a day before. Usually several go throughout the day to the same destination so it's cool. However it might get expensive you have to change lines a lot, hyperdia list the prices.
I didn't plan my days in advance though, usually checked some placed to visit the evening before and just headed to those directions. Usually ended up going to places I never planned to go or seen them anywhere mentioned, simply because I wanted to go or wound up there.
I'd say you can be less detailed if you want to stay in cities mostly and you'd need more organizing if you plan to travel around a lot like I did. You'd have to plan the time you can leave from your hostel, approx time you spend sight seeing, when to leave to get to your next hostel by the end of check in time.
Try writing down places you want to go and then start connecting them and you might find that you overpacked it and have to drop some stops to have more time elsewhere.
>>
>>1203074
Awesome thanks anon, probably gonna spend time near major cities. I guess I'll really have to look into hotel bookings .
>>
>>1203059
Also, what are some good onsen that don't usually have many tourists? Is Hakone always crowded around February?
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 398x582px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 398x582px
>>1203065
A-anon, not sure how I should put it...
Oh god, my sides. And that last post of yours...
>>
Fellow Americans, where do you exchange your money? Do you all just do it at the airport or is there a better option I'm not aware of?
>>
>>1203065
I would like to know this as well
>>
>>1202938
>elderly couple approached us and gave me and my friends some tangerines
Is this a common gift in Japan and do people just carry them around? I had read on other forum where one guy was biking in countryside and while he took a pause he was given some mandarins from an older guy.
>>
>>1203098
I just used the 7 Bank ATMs at 7-11. They accept foreign cards no problem. Sure, there may be some fees charged by your bank, but it's really not that big a deal for the convenience.
>>
>>1202674
I'd lived in the prefecture which has "Ginzan Onsen".
However, I haven't been there .
I guess it's nice particularly snow view is good.
I think the problem is that those who live is that prefecture is not used to speaking English.
And it's located at rural.
>>
>>1203120
I'm bringing USD to exchange and everyone I've asked has said pretty much what you've said. I guess I'll have to exchange it at the airport and accept their fees.
>>
>>1203124
*USD cash
>>
>>1203098
Airports can give you a change out but generally take a higher cut and have a lower limit. The one I am going to has a Yen cap per day.

Google around and look for places, there are generally a lot of places that will let you buy currency for less of a cut than most airports. Keep in mind you can always exchange out at the airport you land in.

I'm going with about 550,000 yen so doing it at an airport for me would be kinda a big cut. Luckily I live in a large enough city that has some big banks I can get Yen from for a small fee
>>
>>1203026
Try more like 2 am.
>>
>>1203098
a few weeks before you leave check with your bank. my credit union will take my cash and order the equivalent in yen, i think with no fee, and order it for pickup at their branch
>>
File: idx_infomation_en_2016.png (163KB, 700x220px) Image search: [Google]
idx_infomation_en_2016.png
163KB, 700x220px
I recently read this article about the Koba Ninja House

It looks interesting.
Has anyone visited this place?
Anything shareworthy?
>>
>>1203120
every time I've gone i just use my credit card where ever its accepted.. think i checked after and the rate was close if not the same as googling dollar to yen... you cats don't do that?

taken money out of 7-11 which is also convenient, but there will be cash advance fees. check your card. think mine was 5% of total, with a 10 or 5 dollar minimum.
>>
I've been to Japan with my friends a few times and we absolutely loved it, but the trips have gotten a little boring (stay airbnb, check off places in our Places To Go list).

We've been thinking about doing something different this year, and that's cycling across the Tohoku region, and just seeing things as we see them. We'd bring tents and sleeping bags along, so that if a town had no ryokans for us to stay in, we'd camp out in a park or just out of sight.

With that said, we are absolute amateurs are probably aren't ready to go all the way with self-sustenance in the wild and shit like that.

My question is, does anybody have any experience with biking/hitchhiking across Japan like nomads? Should we bring our own bikes or buy ones there? Is it feasible, law-wise and money-wise? We like to think that travelling this way would be really cheap and we could stay there for a month or two instead of cramming stuff into two weeks.
>>
>>1203202
This might help
http://www.unframedworld.com/Japan%20by%20Bicycle%20eBook.pdf
>>
>>1203225
Not him, but holy shit, thanks, anon. I was planning to do something like this for this years golden week. Assuming I can get off work.
>>
>>1203233
Oh and there's also a youtube vid on the whole thing iirc. Just seach 'japan by bicycle' or something similar
>>
How bad is the air pollution in Japan? I might want to TEFL there but I like going for a run outside once in a while and I would rather not get immediate lung cancer (i.e. what would likely happen in China).
So how bad is the pollution and smog? Can I safely run outside without any breathing troubles in the majority of Japan? What about the large cities?
>>
>>1203261
When I went to Tokyo before the air seemed as clean as home (Vancouver)
>>
>>1203042
I was there in October as well, but spent a little more than you. TBF, I only stayed in 1 hostel, which I hated.

Although, I think the place I got on AirBnB in Tokyo was technically a hostel. It was very nice though, had my own tiny room and a bathroom, only $25 a night. I think it was basically 2 floors of an apartment building converted into a hostel.
>>
File: 2332.jpg (95KB, 1247x663px) Image search: [Google]
2332.jpg
95KB, 1247x663px
Any pro tips on what to do/see with a 14 day pass along this route?

I have already been to Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara

thanks senpais
>>
File: tumblr_oj99iyqfqG1qkz08qo1_540.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oj99iyqfqG1qkz08qo1_540.gif
2MB, 540x304px
I need help. I study japanese everyday and plan on passing the n1 one day. But my parents say they are only going to let me study abroad for 1 year in japan. Im majoring in finance, and i have no idea how the fuck im going to get a finance job in japan, when i never read an actual japanese business textbook. Do you guys have experience in this?

tldr; how easy is it to switch business jobs from american company to japanese company if you are fluent in japanese already?

Oh, and how many american firms are in japan?
>>
>>1203422
Your best chance is probably to go to an American company that can send you to Japan.

Available jobs are limited (especially since Fukushima flushed qualified personnel onto the market), visas are hard to get and Japanese working conditions suck. You're basically fucked unless you want to teach English with terrible pay or have serious skills in some kind of rare field.
>>
I'm going to be staying in Matsuyama for 2 weeks and the last week I am going to Kyoto and then Tokyo (no choice on where to go in japan it's a school trip) but since I will have free time to do what I want in Matsuyama. anyone have any ideas on what to do there? (19 so I can't do bars ofc), also I want to try Kobe beef at some point. are there any restaurant there that I can go to that I don't need reservations for?
>>
>>1203454
also we already have plans to go to dogo onsen, Matsuyama Shrine, Matsuyama castle, Hiroshima , and Miyajima Island
>>
>>1203202
You can get quite cheap used tax free bikes from https://www.crowngears.com/
>>
Where can I fuck a sex doll, gotta be Akiba right
>>
Why is there an abundance of French school girls riding the JR in Tokyo? Like, I understand the concept of transfer schools, but does it really happen at Elementary and why are they French?
>>
>>1203477
I think this is the time of year that schools do culture exchanges. I rode a train car recently packed with older teens speaking inappropriate English super loud with one tired chaperone.
>>
>>1203225
holy shit thanks, i've looked through it and the amount of gear required is just beyond our budget. do you think it would be possible to do something similar without the bikes? i.e. travel by bus/hitchhiking/rentals and living in tents
>>
What's really gonna happen if I go with one of those solicitors in Kabukicho that advertise soaplands?
>>
>>1203502
I'm sure it would be possible to do something similar, but it would undoubtedly be more expensive in the long run. Also, i don't think Japan really does hitchhiking, they don't really have that mentality.

I would say, if you don't have a bike and other accessories, get used stuff (craigslist, ebay, etc), and just pay the fee to take it with you overseas. Shouldn't be more than $100 each way in checked luggage, and it would pay off in the end.

Hope this helps, but you should really do some more research yourself
>>
>>1203503
a) You get to a Soapland and probably overpay because you are a gaijin

b) You get pushed into a shady bar, forced to drink 50man Yen beer and then threatened if you don't pay up

c) Same as b) but you will be roofied and wake up without your wallet/kidney
>>
>>1203503
Go to Yoshiwara instead.
>>
>>1203503
If you're white and not fat you don't need to. Just go to a bar and hit on Japanese girls or lonely gaijin girls.

I've been able to pull both with much less to work with (probably).
>>
Hi. I'm traveling Tokyo first time. Where is the best place to get rare used CD? I'll go to Book-off tomorrow but do you guys know better place?
>>
>>1203513
all right thanks a lot!
>>
>>1203261
Tokyo air seemed very clean to me. I didn't have any problems. If you're really that sensitive to it, I'd be cautious when the wind is blowing from any westward direction, you never know what may drift out of China. I knew some guys that were stationed in South Korea, and there would be "Yellow Dust" when the wind direction came from China. I never experienced that in Japan, however.

>tl;dr: You'll be fine.
>>
>>1203341
Since you'll be passing through the Nagoya area, I'd suggest branching off to Gifu for a few hours, give Mt. Kinka a hike. Gifu Castle Museum is at the top, with spectacular views from it's observatory balcony. There is also a squirrel village, where you can hand-feed squirrels, if you're into critters.
>>
>>1203503
Just don't go with the solicitors. You'll avoid a lot of trouble that way.
>>
Hi guys. Travelling to Japan in the beginning of april for two weeks (classtrip) whereas the first week will be spent in Tokyo. What I'd like an opinion on is my travel route for the second week. I'll be travelling by rail pass.

The route: Hakone (1 night) - Kyoto (2 nights) - Osaka (1 night) - Hiroshima (1 night) - ? (1 night) - Tokyo

Is this waaay to hectic, as in should I stay longer some places, skipping others? Or is this doable? Where would be a nice place to crash before heading back to Tokyo from Hiroshima?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
>>1203608
I'd make Hiroshima (and as an extension, Kure, if you care about the Yamato museum) a daytrip for Osaka and either move that night to Osaka or spend it in Kyoto. There's a LOT to do and see in Kyoto and they're generally in the opposite direction so 3 days (where 2 days is not even full due to traveling) seems a bit low.
>>
>>1203608
I'd say skip Hiroshima entirely and spend an extra day in Kyoto. From there you can do a day trip to Osaka and a day in Nara.
Hakone is a great day trip from Tokyo tho, so definitely do that.
>>
>>1203610
Thanks for the advice, a daytrip to Hiroshima would make for less hotel reservartions and less to carry around. As for the Yamato museum I'd planned on visiting the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, so two museum trips could be a bit overkill as there is only so much time (although war ships are pretty cool).
>>
>>1203615
Yes, this was sort of my second plan, have my main base in Kyoto and just do daytrips from there. Only drawback is that I can't travel too far, wouldn't want to spend most of my day on a train. But as I've only got 6-7 days maybe there's more than enough to fill it up based out of Kyoto.
>>
>>1203608
This is not the only time you'll go to Japan if you like it.
And if you hate it there's no place in Japan that would make you love it so it doesn't matter.

So plan sufficient time in every place. So that you don't have to revisit it the next time to complete it.
Kansai is interresting because it's hard to do in one trip, almost better split up into two times. Osaka is convienient for daytrips to Kobe, Nara and Kyoto, but if most of your daytrips will be to Kyoto you might as well live there, but Osaka has a better night life, so it's worth it more on a second trip where you only have some mopping up to do in Kyoto.

If you are Shinkansening your way to Hiroshima, starting early and having a stopover in Himeji is a good idea, the castle is a quick walk up the boulevard and then back.
I did that and arrived in Hiroshima by okonomiyaki-dinner time, you'll be tired, have a few bewerages and prepare for the next day, Bomb-museum in the morning and Miyajima all afternoon, so no fewer than 2 nights in Hiroshima, 3 if you want to see the naval museum.

So now you're in Hiroshima but you have to fly home from Tokyo, I assume your last night in Tokyo was to catch a early morning flight from Narita, consider catching a domestic flight from Hiroshima to Haneda, its about 100 bux and one hour, saves a fucktonne of time.
>>
Wait, what's the point in getting those Pasmo/Suica cards? Is it for convenience so I don't have to keep getting tickets? They're obtainable through the machines as well right?
>>
>>1203660
1 hour, plus getting to the airport + checking in + baggage (I assume he will have more than carry-on). So it will save some time, not a fuckton.
>>
>>1203664
Getting the Pasmo/Suica cards are really convenient in terms of getting around. Some places have cheaper price when you use them too.
>>
A friend and I are going to akihabara next week. We are planning to see meiji shrine, tokyo skytree, fish market, and akihabara.

Any other places to visit? :3
>>
I'm heading to Japan on Wednesday and was wondering what apps are useful for navigating in general but also the train system there. I hear it's a lot of hopping from train to train.
>>
>>1203721
It's in the sticky and it heads the general but I'm willing to say it again. Hyperdia is the best for getting around on the trains. Basically I just used that and google maps for navigation, it should suffice.

>>1203719
I'm in a good mood so even though you're a filthy weeb I'll let you know Ikebukuro and Nakano Broadway are both good spots if you wanna see or buy anime shit. They're both cheaper than Akiba but Nakano is cheapest while Ikebukuro is a bit gayer.
>>
>>1203723
Damn it, I always forget to check the board sticky. Sorry about that but thank you very much for your reply!
>>
>>1203664
Definitely recommend getting one if you're staying longer than 3 days in any major city.
They're contactless cards you can load up with money. They'll even work through wallets and some bags, just tap it on the counter and you've paid.
They're accepted in a ton of places, not just train stations, including convenience stores and Mcdonalds.
>>
So I am in nishiarai right now. Where do I go to see some of the car scene?
>>
File: IMG_20130926_230719.jpg (1009KB, 1520x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130926_230719.jpg
1009KB, 1520x2048px
There is now a /trv/Japan LINE group!
If you would like to join, email your LINE ID to:

trv4chan@gmail dot com
>>
Is it easy to find places to play mahjong?
>>
File: 1424637925484.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1424637925484.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
How long do you think is a good amount of time to spend in Japan? I'm thinking a month.
>>
>>1203886
As long as you can
>>
File: trail.jpg (1MB, 1728x1296px) Image search: [Google]
trail.jpg
1MB, 1728x1296px
last week i was watching a hiking show in kyoto, and i couldn't understand a word, but the scenery was too beautiful to turn it off. i can't figure out where it was, but i got this picture. anyone able to translate it for me?
>>
>>1203897
Azohara Hot Springs in Kurobe, Toyama Prefecture
>>
>>1203897
You can draw kanji into google translate.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/阿曽原温泉
This doesn't look anywhere near Kyoto though.
>>
>>1203899
>>1203900
thanks. i figured it wasn't near kyoto (and it doesn't matter since i'm home now anyways), but if i'm ever back there with a more /out/ group than i was with this time i'd like to try to make it up the trail.

>You can draw kanji into google translate.
cool. learn something everyday
>>
>>1203903
*assuming i wouldn't have to go with a guide (dealbreaker)
>>
>>1203886
the rest of your life
>>
>>1203584
what if ur not white? rip pulls?
>>
Will I need sunscreen in Japan around March-April time?
>>
Is there a "best day" during a Sumo tournament?
I want to see it in july. Can't see the first day but the last day is a possibility.
>>
I'm going to Tokyo for a third time but this time with a group of friends and I fear it will be like herding cats.

What is a good way to keep someone who is a little over excitable from getting separated and terribly lost in Tokyo?
>>
>>1203998
Depends on your definition of "need". I personally wear sunscreen all year round.
April is warmer than March though neither could be considered particularly hot, at best it's "guess I won't need a jacket today" weather.
>>
>>1204035
>What is a good way to keep someone who is a little over excitable from getting separated and terribly lost in Tokyo?

If you have to be someones mother for them tell them to fuck off.

If you really need to be sure they are okay install that app on their phone that allows you to locate someone
>>
>>1204035
Make them wear a tag with your hotel address, a bright yellow cap and a rape alarm.
>>
Anyone ever been to the WW2 museum on Okinawa? I know it's on the base, and I'm not exactly sure how I can go visit it.
>>
>>1204041
>rape alarm
you really only need one of those if you're a young girl in okinawa
>>
>>1203261
Not bad at all, I didn't even think about it and I live in a pretty rural place.
>>
>>1203422
You don't want to work for a Japanese company, their work culture is absolute shit if you value your time away from work at all. Find a foreign company with a Japanese branch or a company in Japan that is owned/run by westerners.
>>
>>1204036
Alright thanks, I don't think I'll bother taking any then, if I need some in April I can just pick it up there I guess.
>>
>>1203341
Shiroyama observatory, or yakushima if you have a free day in kagoshima to dedicate to it.
>>
>>1204062
But won't it just attract more G.I.s when it goes off?
>>
>>1204062
He'll need one to protect himself FROM little girls. Don't underestimate Japan.
>>
>>1204035
Protip: as long as you have a smartphone with google maps, and either a data sim or pocket wifi, you'd have to be REALLY fucking retarded to get hopelessly lost in Tokyo. Seriously. Google Maps even knows the subway lines; it never steered me wrong.
>>
so my sister has a bachelor of whatever in japanese studies and lived almost 2 years in osaka
she always said to me osaka is more like the city you want to go to than tokyo.
that tokyo would be too much city and you could experience japan way better in well something like osaka

i'm planning my trip for this year and would like to have someone confirm
>>
File: 4339876-6057469152-harne.jpg (18KB, 390x241px) Image search: [Google]
4339876-6057469152-harne.jpg
18KB, 390x241px
>>1204041
The tag might be a good idea.

>>1204038
>>1204084
The main issue with the locator app plan is while they have a smartphone I don't. Just not looking forward to hours spent trying to track them down, but you're probably right about navigating by phone if they get lost. I'm sure you'll be fine, friend, see you at the hotel.
>>
What are my options for weeaboo shopping in Sapporo?
I know Mandarake, Jungle and Animate have stores there - anything else I might want to check out?
>>
>>1204088
Why not both?

>>1204092
I'm assuming they're adults or at least old enough to be independent.
Make sure everybody knows what you're doing that day, where you're going, which stations you're getting off at etc.
Set up a meeting point and time at regular intervals so even if you go separate ways you can meet up again later.
Tell them not to get invited into a hostess bar.
Make sure you have a plan for when you get separated. E.g. "If it happens we'll wait for you at the next stop" or "wait where you are and we'll look for you".

If you're that worried then get everyone a sim card so you can just message them. There'll be less stress that way.
>>
>>1204092
>while they have a smartphone I don't
So how about buying one? You can get them for 5 dollars.
>>
>>1204096
i might travel to one of them per train but i want so settle at one of them, with trip i didn't mean travel trough multiple citys
>>
>>1204088
It depends. I love on the Tokyo buzz, and while Osaka is also lively, once you get hooked on the Tokyo lifestyle, there's no turning back. Might be just me though since I work a bit reverse compared to others and can really relaxed when surrounded by a "concrete jungle".
>>
>>1204092
The only way to get "lost" in Tokyo - which ALWAYS happened when I brought friends and they went somewhere themselves - is that they take a rapid or express train and it skips the stations they're supposed to get off. But they never got lost, only a bit delayed. Well, one guy started to be smart and instead of taking the opposite train, he went for a shortcut but even then he just got into a cab and showed he hotel's card.
>>
>>1204100
i have no problem with that either, sounds good actually.
does the "tokyo lifestyle" offer big clubs, fancy restaurants etc? i have a lot of money to spend
>>
>>1204099
I would pick Osaka if you're only staying for a few days. Most of it is concentrated in one area. Otherwise Tokyo is a lot bigger and has more to offer.
They're both just as crowded in the popular spots if you care about that.
>>
>>1204103
Sure it does if that's how you swing but that's not what I meant. I live and work here so your mileage may vary. This city is much bigger than anything you have seen before and is so full of life it's hard to comprehend. There's no boring moment, something is happening even if you're not looking for it. Yet it's possible to bit a more silent spot in Ueno and relax the hell out of it. Everything is "close" Everything is reachable. You want party? Sure. You want a park or shrine? Millions of it. Looking for a festival? Look no further.
It's really hard to describe, this is something to get experienced.
>>
>>1204096
This all sounds like good advice, thank you. I'll try to use it.
>Tell them not to get invited into a hostess bar.
Swear to god that's one of the things they've said they want to do and cannot seem to understand why it is a bad idea.
>>
does anyone else think takoyaki are...overhyped? i had takoyaki three different times over two weeks, in tokyo and kyoto.

they're just these very hot little balls with tasteless runny batter and a rubbery piece of octopus inside...
only okay with lots of japanese condiments, like that MSG-laden mayo.
>>
How do the Japanese feel about people taking photos in public? I know in some countries they'd get mad at you.
>>
>>1202942
i had an airbnb near okachimachi. that area smelled weird to me at night...like a strange cooked odor that doesn't exist in the US.

when i got off the JR train it was raining and i was lost, walking around okachimachi. it felt extremely foreign, and not really like the japan a lot of people think of. i even left my suitcase in front of a convenience store and walked away for like five minutes without realizing i had abandoned it (exhausted from flight, frustrated from being lost). i ran back to see it was still there.
>>
File: IMG_3473.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3473.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>1204130
For me the appeal is the batter and sauce so if you don't like that, then yeah, it'll do nothing for you.

>>1204133
They don't like it if you take pictures of people without asking, even having people in your shot can got over poorly, there's that whole thing with blurring people in the crowds when things are posted online. But it's impossible to never get people in shots of outside so, just try to avoid looking like you're taking pics of people without asking.
>>
>>1204130
Never cared for them when in Japan. But there is a local place here in NC, of all the damn places in the world, that does them so they are really delicious -- so it can be done.
>>
>>1204133#
i don't care so much, cuz i see a lot of people who take photos in public.
but, i want you to stop doing selfies at the middle of Shibuya crossing, that is kinda annoying.
>>
>>1204006
If it is your first time than any day is awesome. I prefer earlier matches since there are not so strict weight classes like in other sports there are some lopsided matches and some surprises.
>>
>>1204130
>Not in Osaka

Its like having a cheesesteak outside of Philly, or Deep dish outside of Chicago

Sure it doesn't seem that complicated and what you get elsewhere will typically be fine if you have nothing to compare it to, but regional foods are regional food precisely because the location has decades or in many cases in Japan, over a century of experience getting everything right. The small differences in ingredients and recipes, combined with all the passed down knowledge and gained talent adds up to a difference.

It doesn't always blow you away the first time, but if you eat enough of it you start realizing all the subtle and not so subtle things other places get wrong.
>>
What are some places in or around Tokyo that are particularly nice to visit during winter?
>>
About tax free shopping: what's preventing me from just ripping the paper they staple into your passport? Other than the honor system, of course.

I'll be staying for three months, and I'd prefer not to pay taxes in things meant for my home, but it's not like I can keep that shit in the bag.
>>
>>1204158
They dont really particularly care about it unless youve gone over a specific amount of money which then of course counts as tax evasion (a lot of rich chinese do this when buying jewellery or high end luxuries)
>>
>>1203973
If you're Indian you're fucked. If you're Asian you're fine. If you're black then go to a place where the girls are into black people like a club that plays a lot of rap music. Getting laid as a non-white guy in Japan is the same as the west but more extreme. Girls are either going to love you or think you're subhuman.

Good luck anon.
>>
File: jps097.jpg (611KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
jps097.jpg
611KB, 1000x750px
>>1203625

Well, depends on what you're interested to see and do - but there may be far more than enough for your 6-7 days.

there's that other whole thread on Kyoto
>>1194987
>>
>>1204150
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to attend in the first week.
>>
>>1204130
There are two types of takoyaki. One is popular around Osaka. The other is called akashiyaki, which is a different version. You can get the other type in Kobe or in the actual town it comes from.

I didn't think I would like it, but it ended up being really good. Just look up the popular restaurants and stop eating at tourist spots.
>>
>>1202702
You cannot get 1L of Ardbeg easily in Japan, and even when you can, duty-free on the way in is cheaper. I think it's a good investment to grab a bottle of something on the way in, if you're going to be there for any substantial period.
>>
>>1203812
I just got Line recently and it wants me to set my ID. I should just give it gibberish, letters and numbers, right?
>>
>>1202795
If you're there for the first time, and just want to look around and have the feel for the place, just go after lunch when the crowds die down. You won't get the most popular stuff but there are still things to see and buy without suffering the heat and crowds.

Alternatively for merch, you can try to find summer wonderfest, which I personally enjoyed better.
>>
>>1204208
Just domt even get the advertised soft/soggy takoyaki at dotonbori.
Its fucking gross and sad
>>
File: thinkin of gundam.jpg (40KB, 353x357px) Image search: [Google]
thinkin of gundam.jpg
40KB, 353x357px
How well can a vegetarian (the kind who doesn't eat fish) survive in Japan? I've heard it's rude to ask for changes to dishes in restaurants. Can I survive on noodles alone?
>>
>>1204101
How do I differentiate an express train from the normal one?
>>
I figure this question is stupid. Anyways: Is there any good reason to bringing business cards when vacationing Japan? I know those are serious business in Japan, but probably only for professional interactions?
The reason I'm asking is because my grandparents keep saying I should bring some. OTOH the last time they were in Japan was in the early 90s.
>>
File: destination_fujisan_top[1].jpg (82KB, 708x388px) Image search: [Google]
destination_fujisan_top[1].jpg
82KB, 708x388px
Can anyone recommend a good hostel in Tokyo? Mainly looking for a good atmosphere where it's easy to meet people, and good location.
>>
>>1204291
express or rapid=express or rapid
normal=local
it'll say on both the information board and on the train
and they're color coded
>>
>>1204324
3Q Nippori
>>
>>1204291
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html
>>
>>1204321
A dozen cards take up almost no room and weigh nothing. I have never needed them, but it would be potentially fun to have them, if the situation arises.

I'd say there is little if any need, but potential for fun.
>>
File: gilligan japanese sailor.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
gilligan japanese sailor.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>1204324
Not a hostel, and maybe not at all what you would be interested in due to expense, but I stayed a couple nights in Tokyo with these folks and enjoyed the experience:

ANDON RYOKAN
2-34-10 Nihonzutsumi ,Taito-ku , Tokyo
Japan 111-0021
Tel: +81(0)3-3873-8611
Fax: +81(0)3-3873-8612
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://andon.co.jp/
>>
>>1204321
Got into a dental convention in Japan for free as a foreigner, I just gave them my business card and they let me in.
They had a mixed drinks area and I got t see all the new dental tech we aren't privy to in North America.
>>
>>1204285
Probably better to say "watashi wa bejitarian desu" and ask if the restaurant has anything suitable.

https://www.happycow.net/ is good for finding vegetarian or veg-friendly restaurants. Also youtube has a few videos with language pointers, shopping guides, ect.
>>
Can I make a seat reservation a few days before I activate my jr pass?
>>
>>1204371
No but you can get it exchanged with a later starting date and reserve a seat. Travel has to be during the validity window of course
>>
>>1204376
Thanks bb
>>
>>1204340
>>1204326
Thanks, seems easy enough to not Fuck up.
>>
Sorry for asking such an obnoxious question, but am I better off ordering some yen before I leave or is it more economical to withdraw in bulk with a visa debit card in Japan?
>>
>>1204390
Completely depends on the exchange rate and the fees to convert. Most all airports will let you change out yen for whatever you have.

IIRC, not totally sure if true but I hear that in japan cash is perferable payment over cards. I'm doing a 70/30 split, 70% in cash 30% on a prepaid card
>>
>>1202703
I am a student and had a 3 week trip to Japan with 5 friends of mine during summer break. Firstly depends where you are flying from. We were insanely lucky and had a friend to get us a slight discount costing us £500 pound return from UK. This was better than other airlines at the time offering around £750. While I would recommend hostels I would only do so if you had friends. Having friends means you can rent the entire place out. While cramped and little to no living space it was very cheap. While crime rate is next to nothing in Japan you should be careful as we had other friends who had hell as they didn't have enough people to rent a hostel out and had random strangers (very poor) Japanese locals staying with them. A decent hotel is about the same as anywhere else, but keep mind in mind the further out the cheaper it gets. A issue I feel most people miss when booking a trip to Japan is how much the transport is. I cannot remember the price, but I do remember it being a shock. While transport is somewhat cheap you will be constantly using it and it will add up. I hope this helps.
>>
>>1203586
>CD
I resume you mean disks? Try Akihabara, past all the weeb shit there is still lots of electrical stores. Often the more run down ones sell more used stuff. I found loads of random CDs there. That said they were often anime/game related and the rest being very obscure hard bass artists.
>>
>>1204390
>>1204391
Sure I think Japan is much more cash-based than card. I've heard airports aren't the best place to exchange currency though.

So does anyone know where the best place to exchange would be? Preferably somewhere with an exchange rate closer to the actual proper going rate.
>>
>>1204390
I get myself a travel card from my bank and store yen on it before i go. Then i just get take out cash when i visit 7-elevens.
Pretty fool-proof
>>
>>1204404
google around, some larger banks will do it for you and give you good change out rates.

Airports often take a bigger cut because they are trying to get people who didn't plan or need cash last minute.

Travelex (has online options and in store locations) have some better rates the more you exchange.

>>1204405
Doing this is what I hear a lot of people do, just check with your bank and who backs your debit/bank card first; also insure they know you are traveling prior to leaving otherwise they my cut your bank access off temporarily.
>>
>>1204405
>>1204406
Very helpful, thank you guys.
>>
File: money gram.jpg (28KB, 604x265px) Image search: [Google]
money gram.jpg
28KB, 604x265px
>>1204407
Also forgot, you can also do a moneygram/western union as well. Generally all you have to do for that is paying whatever the fee is to transfer the funds, they don't take a cut from exchanging the currency.

You'd just need to confirm how much you are sending and check to make sure you can cash out to where you are picking up. For 110.00USD to change out for 611,000 yen can be a pretty decent deal, you'd just really need to take a bit of a risk when sending it and picking it up. IIRC I think Moneygrams go on hold for 30 days.
>>
I want to live in Japan for a year or something, looks like my only option is to teach English. Where do I start?
>>
>>1204421
Jet program first, then work your way down until you find a company shitty enough that wants to hire you
>>
>>1204423
How shitty are my prospects?
>23
>am Thai (but people usually thought I was Chinese or Korean)
>no significant teaching experience
>can't speak Japanese

The only plus is I went to a fairly prestigious school, UCLA, but my GPA was subpar, 3.3 or something
>>
>>1204424
None of those things matter

All that matters is that you are a native English speaker.
>>
>>1204426
Thanks anon, looking at JET now
>>
>>1204410
Another option is Charles Schwab checking account. Completely free, no maintenance fees, they don't charge foreign transaction fees on the debit card they issue you, and all ATMs are free. Even out of network ATM charges will be reimbursed at the end of each month.
>>
I had a brief layover in Aomori prefecture a month ago and from what i saw it seemed like a nice, quiet place. Is there anything to do there, or is it all just farmland? I'm currently living in Korea so i don't have the same restrictions as most people traveling there.
>>
>>1203884
Why does no one know this? Please help.
>>
>>1204043
Anyone?
>>
>>1204449
Because 99% of the people who play are old women and its more common in China than Japan
>>
>>1204427
JET is the best paying but you will be placed in the middle of nowhere. If you want to placed in an interesting place apply for places like NOVA or ECC
>>
just got to tokyo, dropped my bags have to wait an hour till check in, what do?
>>
>>1204175
>Things white people think

Most Japanese women are not into non-Japanese especially if you don't speak the language. But if shes willing to date outside of Japanese you have an equal chance when it comes to non-Asian races.
>>
>>1204465
>placed in the middle of nowhere

Tokyo got 200 jobs added in the last two years to prepare for the olympics. It wouldn't be crazy if someone who applied now was placed there. However, you're right for the most part and people should be prepared to be placed in the boonies or something similar.
>>
>>1204462
Book a trip to okinawa?

Looking at plane tickets it's like 50 bucks from tokyo non-stop

>>1204472
>this post
>>
>>1204473
Tokyo schools do NOT use the JET system. I don't even think they use INTERAC any more. The other major cities don't either because people actually want to go there so they don't need to pull from the random people pool and can just use people who apply that are actually qualified to teach English.
>>
>>1204474
>Im white with no accomplishments so I'm special
>>
>>1204475
This is just wrong though. JET Program added jobs in Tokyo for the reason mentioned earlier. You know the shit show it was for new JETs in Tokyo? It's fairly new as in the last 2 or so years, but it is a thing.
>>
>all these posts on how to pull bitches in tokyo
how do I get that jap pussy in Osaka, I live right next to Tennoji

do I have to go more toward the city center?
>>
>>1202703
traveling is the most expensive part
just going for 2 weeks is retarded af, stay for spring/summer or even 1 year
>>
In Tokyo, does anybody want to hang out
>>
>>1204525
Yea meet me at Hachiko tomorrow round 3. I'll be the hot asian grill
>>
>>1204488
> things white People think
Nice try. I'm black guy living in Japan. I'm not saying it's impossible but come on. Whites have a clear advantage. You sound like one of those white dudes who sees one black guy get girls and assume that white girls don't discriminate. Whites show up in ads pertaining to beauty products here in Japan. Do you really think all non-asians have equal chances?
>>
Anoms who have lived in Japan for at least a year (especially if you've lived in another country):
>Are you happy?
>We're you able to make friends with the Nihongo?
>We're you overwhelmed by the workplace culture/ do you feel like you have to little free time?
>What do you do for a living there?
>What are some of your hobbies/ what do you do for fun over there?
>>
>>1204533
Blaming my phone for most of that atrocious formatting, but you get the idea. I'm looking to study in Japan from the US and considering moving there for a few years. I need a change of scenery and Japan is one of the places that appeals to me most.
>>
>>1204527

Rude ):
>>
File: 28589id_096_large.jpg (167KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
28589id_096_large.jpg
167KB, 800x450px
anything particularly worthwhile in hakuba and nozawa onsen aside from skiing and hot baths?
>>
>>1204533
>>Are you happy?
Things could be better, but always look on the bright side
>>We're you able to make friends with the Nihongo?
Depends on what you mean by "friends." Most relationships here are pretty superficial and it's hard to tell if they are genuinely your friend or just putting up a front. Either way, I've made friends and knowing Japanese helps
>>We're you overwhelmed by the workplace culture/ do you feel like you have to little free time?
Not at all. I make sure to keep work at work and once I'm off the clock, I don't think about it at all. All the time not spent at work is therefore free time.
>>What do you do for a living there?
Work for the Japanese government (as an assistant English teacher of course)
>>What are some of your hobbies/ what do you do for fun over there?
Drink, play video games, and eat. Sometimes I play ping pong with the club or swim to be active, but mostly drink and go to game centers.
>>
File: 51r3lElNvEL._SY300_.jpg (23KB, 278x300px) Image search: [Google]
51r3lElNvEL._SY300_.jpg
23KB, 278x300px
Hey guys big life choice here I love china and travel there often but between the 3
China, korea and japan where is the best place for a foreigner to live and why?
>plz do not meme about china if you never went there.
>>
File: 180px-Burter.jpg (18KB, 180x145px) Image search: [Google]
180px-Burter.jpg
18KB, 180x145px
>>1204531
>>1204488
>Not realizing who the TRUE seducer of women in asia is
Outside of the U.S. You forget our power but we still linger in the shadows taking what we want. That's right I'm talking about Hispanics we can look white when we want to(sorry Mexicans) and pretend we are unless we need to be middle eastern or jewish or etc..

You one raced fools will never understand the power us mixed people have at our command.
>>
>>1204488
>>Im white with no accomplishments so I'm special

Nice projecting there anon. Just like at home, there are a lot of factors that go into picking up women.
>>
I'm leaving Friday to go live in Japan for a year.

I have a working holiday visa and a place to stay lined up through WWOOF but otherwise plan on traveling the countryside like a vagabond.

I'm freaking out. I've never been to Japan before, nor have I been away from home so long.

Someone calm me down, please.
>>
>>1204584
you aren't prepared and will die
>>
>>1204584
We got another live one, boys. I'll give this one three days.
>>
>>1204584
> how to fuck your shit up: the post
>>
File: 1473711207656.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473711207656.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>1204584
Enjoy a year of complete shit and being shat on for a year.

I really fucking hope you are fluent in Japanese if you are doing the countryside
>>
Has anyone been to the Sapporo Snowfest before?
How long do reckon you'd need to check out the Susukino and Oodori sites if you only want to look at the pretty sculptures?
>>
>>1204584
RIP dude
>>
>>1204584
>Someone calm me down, please.

No because it sounds like you didn't plan this shit out. Learn from your mistake anon
>>
>>1204624

A few hours is enough. The Odori and Susukino sites are within easy walking distance of each other. The Susukino stuff is quite limited (30 minutes and you've seen it all); Odori takes a while longer.
>>
>>1204474
No. It's on the military base, I assume I need someone who can let me on base.
>>
Gonna be in hiroshima for a day. I wanna check out some WW2 stuff like the peace dome, and I wanna see if there are any of those nuclear shadows still around from when the bomb dropped. Is there a good location to go see those in person?
>>
>>1204707
Are you talking about this?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7105.html

Because it looks open to civilians with the exception of restricted areas(obviously).
>>
>>1204717
Don't think so. this is the article I found: http://okinawahai.com/battle-of-okinawa-historical-display-museum/ but I have not heard back from the guys email they posted (its been like a month)
>>
>>1204733
Their facebook might be more useful, looks like they are doing some big remodling and moving
>>
>>1204734
Good point, I'll give that a try. Thanks.
>>
>>1202882
>>1202882
>>1202882
>>
>>1204533
>Are you happy?
I'd say so. I'm not at all unhappy, at least.
>We're you able to make friends with the Nihongo?
I could if I wanted to, I suppose. Socialization (for the most part) is tiring for me, so I don't really seek out friendships. Did get a husband, though.
>We're you overwhelmed by the workplace culture/ do you feel like you have to little free time?
I'm not overwhelmed but I also work outside the sphere of the typical Japanese workplace. I've seen how it can eat up a person's life, however.
English teacher, obviously.
>What are some of your hobbies/ what do you do for fun over there?
Games, going on walks, sightseeing around the area, baking, etc.
>>
>>1204533
>Are you happy?
I can pay my bills at my entry-level job, which is something I couldn't do in my home country. Yet I do get lonely even though I live in a large city.

>Were you able to make friends?
I work at many places so I don't foster deep, personal connections. Outside of work I'm pretty lonely so I'm thinking about getting a significant other to have someone to hang out with and to help me improve my Japanese. Though that brings different challenges.

>Were you overwhelmed by the workplace culture/ do you feel like you have too little free time?
I'm not overwhelmed, but I work a lot of and I do get stressed trying to accommodate so many different people. Overall, this job is easier than my previous positions so I'll take it.

English teacher.

>What are some of your hobbies/what do you do for fun over there?
I enjoy visiting temples and shrines, shopping for alternative street fashion, and going to underground concerts.
>>
>>1204584
Sounds fun!
>>
Been to Japan before but could have done things a little smarter. My biggest misconception was that trains were the best way to get around Tokyo but it seems like buses are better. What's the best pass/approach for 4 days in Tokyo?

Next what's the cheapest way to get from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto. Night bus?

Lastly do you prefer to stay in Osaka and visit Kyoto or vice versa?
>>
>>1204711
All that's there is the museum and park with the dome building at the other end. Only on this is there's a spot a couple blocks away where the bomb actually went off and a memorial marks the spot. The remains of the bomb are still in the ground at that site.
>>
>>1204584
Get advice from whoever you meet at this wwoof thing. Make sure you know where your embassies are.
>>
>>1202618
Short answer: no.
>>
File: IMG_3847.jpg (356KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3847.jpg
356KB, 800x1200px
Applying for a working holiday visa. I lived in Kyoto a few years ago on exchange and am planning on moving back later this year. No plans for a job or anything; just going to wing it since I have enough saved up.

I'm still deciding whether to stay entirely in Kyoto and make short trips around or if I should stay in a different city every couple months.

Does anyone have any recommendations for atypical cities/towns worth living in short term? I really liked Onomichi so I'll consider that as one potential place to stay.
>>
Just got a ticket for $1,040 round trip. Looking around I think this is a decent price what do you guys think? Also I have never been in an airplane before so I am really nervous.
>>
Is it really necessary to be fluent in japanese to survive there like 1 month? If so, where can I learn japanese on-line? I have no money, so it has to be free
>>
>>1205107
No idea where you are flying from so no one can comment on the price.

LAX to Tokyo is 700 for me RT
>>
>>1205120
No.

I spent 1 month in Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima) and managed just fine with like 5 phrases.
>>
>>1205120
Yeah easy to survive in japan, hard to get laid(unless you pay).

If you can learn a few phrases you'll get some really happy people though
>>
>>1205120
Every single word of Japanese you learn will pay off exponentially. You can learn nothing and be fine, or you can learn basically anything and it will help you.

Theres no reason to not study
>>
>>1205128
>hard to get laid(unless you pay).

Pffft says you m8. It's very easy to pull girls from Tinder in Tokyo and they all speak English.
>>
>>1205122
columbus, ohio
>>
>>1205140
Probably a fair price coming that far.
>>1205139
Why lower your chances man? Tinder shouldn't be your only option.
>>
>>1205128
>If you can learn a few phrases you'll get some really happy people though

Fucking this I had so many waitresses so jazzed that I could say "Saporro biiru to edamame kudasai"

Also if someone starts using english with me I go along with it and compliment them heavily on their english. They look like a kid on christmas when I do that..
>>
>>1205107
I just got a direct flight for November booked from LAX to Tokyo for $550. I still have to buy the ticket to get me from San Francisco to LAX but that's chump change. It really depends on how far you are from the airports that do direct flights. Also depends on the airline. If I was a little more well off I'd pay $1000 for a Japanese airline flight instead of a Chinese one.
>>
>>1204228
Whatever you want your id to be. Something easy to remember is better if you want people to add you though.
>>
>>1204533
>>1204533
>>Are you happy?
Yes and no

>>We're you able to make friends with the Nihongo?
A lot more foreign, haafu, and returnee friends than legit jun-japas, but a few here and there nonetheless.

>>We're you overwhelmed by the workplace culture/ do you feel like you have to little free time?
I just work part time at the moment so not really. Workplace culture is interesting at first but once you get used to it its not too bad.

>>What do you do for a living there?
Semi- NEET, waiting to start work.

>>What are some of your hobbies/ what do you do for fun over there?
Been traveling around the country a bit. Eating good food, drinking, throwing nabe-kais~
>>
File: img_6.png (76KB, 412x302px) Image search: [Google]
img_6.png
76KB, 412x302px
What's my chance to become an ALT without a bachelor degree?

What's my chance to become an ALT without a bachelor degree but 6 years of expierence in tutoring children?

What's my chance to lie about having a bachelor degree and they don't check if I really have one?
>>
>>1205219
Just get a degree you lazy shmuck
>>
Is Nagoya worth a visit? It seems like a one weekend kind of deal.
>>
>>1205150
>I just got a direct flight for November booked from LAX to Tokyo for $550

I was going to say you got ripped off because I got one for 700 in august, but then I saw you said november and remembered they hike prices
>>
File: monogatari.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
monogatari.webm
3MB, 640x360px
bit of a specific question

I'm going to be studying in Kyoto for a year from this summer at Doshisha university, but I'm having problems with accommodation.

The university offers the cheapest places at around 37,000 yen p/m, but with strictly no overnight visitors and curfew.

This is a problem because as well as having family and friends come and stay with me, I've got a couple of girls out there who I had a fling with while travelling and are eager to meet up with me again, planning to do some pic related

I've tried looking around online for share houses, dormitories, etc but all the ones I've seen either ban visitors outright or charge something ridiculous like 5,000 yen per night they stay.

>tl;dr
Does anyone know somewhere in Kyoto I can stay long term for a reasonable price that allows overnight guests?

Any housing advice would be appreciated. If you're in Kyoto while I'm out there I'll get you a ビール
>>
>>1205219
Japanese companies have a pretty hard set of rules that rarely change even if they don't make sense. Bilingual people with foreign parents who have been raised in Japan can't get jobs as translators unless they have the proper JLPT certification saying they can speak Japanese.

tldr; they don't care they just want to to have the degree even if it's unrelated to teaching or language
>>
File: IMG_1549.jpg (5MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1549.jpg
5MB, 4608x3456px
>>1203117
Old folks out in the sticks are generally kind and curious. Go out far enough and there's a good chance you're the first foreigner they've seen in person. I've been given beer and snacks from just sitting next to an old guy on a train without even talking to him. Guess they consider seeing a foreigner as some kind of entertainment.
>>
>>1204175
>>1204472

blond haired blue eyed 白人 here, can verify that while it might be rare to get a bite, they're extremely easy to pull in

would say it's *almost* necessary to speak the language though. at least enough for basic conversation
>>
>>1204500
Watch out man, they've got bite in Osaka
>>
File: IMG_1570.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1570.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>1204584
While I get what the other guys are posting, I did the exact same thing about two years ago (except just for three months)

Scary as fuck the first few days, WWOOFed in a little town in Kyushu with a kind, but distant host.

Top tips:
>don't turn down an opportunity
You're pretty safe in the countryside, just don't try hitchhiking. I know it's scary the first few days, but I still regret turning down stuff now just because I was afraid.
>learn the language ASAP
even if it's just the basics, start with hiragana and katana and work your way up each day. YOU WILL NEED IT OUT THERE
Human Japanese is a good app for someone with zero prior knowledge
>learn customs and don't assume
Being foreign gets you a *little* leeway in social protocol, but best get on that sharp. You will get a lot of respect if you use the set phrases
>only use hosts who speak GOOD English
WWOOFing is great, stayed with around 7 hosts so far, but make sure their English is up to scratch, especially in the sticks. Trust me, you don't want anything getting lost in translation when negotiating work, transport, etc.

If you stay in your room watching fucking anime when you're not working, yes you will be as fucked and miserable as these other guys are saying. Embrace it, take it as an opportunity to develop and improve yourself and it could be the best thing you ever did. I ended up doing 9 months travelling all over, made lifelong friends, lost my virginity out there, dated several other women (big age gaps a couple of times, hard to tell at the time) and I'm now in my second year studying the language at university, something I decided to do after travelling there completely spontaneously.
It is what you make of it.
がんばって!
>>
>>1204043
Check out 'House of Nuchi Du Takara' on Iejima. Independent museum that shows the American occupation from a local perspective.
>>
File: IMG_1883.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1883.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>1205080
Haven't lived anywhere other than a town called Yufuin, Oita, Kyushu. There was a city next to it called Beppu which looked awesome, really cheap hotsprings and good restaurants. Bit tough getting around from there, although there's an overnight ferry to Osaka.
Matsuyama, Shikoku's also a nice place, small seaside city just big enough for some nightlife. Again, a bit isolated being on Shikoku, but depends on what you want.

Could you help me out with my earlier question, seeing as you lived in Kyoto?
>>1205338
>>
>>1205342
>seeing a foreigner as some kind of entertainment

I'm okay with this. Free snacks and the fact that I've made some ojisan's week makes me happy.
>>
>>1205369
>Could you help me out with my earlier question, seeing as you lived in Kyoto?

I lived in residence (https://kuiso.oc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/housing/shugakuin/en) at the time so this may not be applicable since I believe it's only for Kyoto University students. Sorry if that's not much help.

Would you mind if I asked where you've been searching for a place to stay? I'm going to start looking soon but I'm not sure where to start.
>>
>>1205374
Well, thanks anyways.
I've been looking at sharehouses mostly, they seem the cheapest.
I've stayed at hostels run by this place and they were pretty good:
http://www.j-stay.jp/index.php

This place is also pretty central, emphasis on sharing with Japanaese as well as foreigners:
http://www.borderless-house.com/jp/

For apartments, you can check out this:
http://www.maruyoshi-net.com/english/

Hope this helps
>>
>>1205107
I recently bought a ticket for April 1st for $1100, flying with JAL. I don't know if I got ripped off, but considering I'm flying on a Japanese carrier during cherry blossom season, the price seems right.
>>
anyone here ever tried Fuji-q Highland, Fujiten Ski Resort and Aokigahara Forest? I'm planning on visiting these three in a few days , but I still couldn't find an answer for a few questions.

I know I should consider the weather before going the park. Tuesday (31) won't be rainy, snowy, windy or cloudy, so I'm hopeful no rides will be suspended on that day. What I wanna know is: As soon as the park opens, should I go for the fast pass or should I line for a roller coaster? is there a chance they will run out of passes in the first two hours in a weekday in the middle of winter?

The next problem is how to get to the forest and the ski resort. I don't drive and I don't wanna pay for a taxi, there are some bicycles for rent near Kawaguchiko station, has anyone ever tried that? Does anyone know if we're allowed to take those bikes that far away (it's now that far actually) from the station? Cycling to the forest sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure about the ski resort.

btw, if you've been to the forest and have any piece of advice about anything, please tell me
>>
>>1205426
If you go straight for a coaster the line won't be too long and you'll probably be on in 30-45 minutes. This is solely based on the one time I went though. We went straight for Eejanaika and go through super quick. If you went for the one is the back corner of the park maybe it will go even faster and you can pick up a pass on the way. For the sake of planning fyi Dodonpa is closed until July 2017
>>
File: 1484332460205.jpg (205KB, 675x400px) Image search: [Google]
1484332460205.jpg
205KB, 675x400px
>>1205305
>just get a degree
Easier than it sounds, nigger.
I need to be accepted on a university first. And then pay that shit for 3 years.

>>1205340
And if I just lie about it?
The german education system is a fucking mess anyway. They never find out I don't have a bachelor degree in pussylicking.
>>
>>1205369
What are the odds. I live in Yufuin, m8. When were you here?
>>
>landed in Tokyo 2 weeks ago
>only had 1500€ with me
>down to 1000 already
>subway is draining my money
>language school fucking sucks
>still don't have a job
>can probably abort my working holiday in feburary
HELP
>>
>>1205441
You have to send them your diploma and sometimes transcripts as well. You think they don't have safeguards against your bullshit?
>>
File: 3e6baf627bf3b26cbe1eb212c3803bf4.png (666KB, 1300x1120px) Image search: [Google]
3e6baf627bf3b26cbe1eb212c3803bf4.png
666KB, 1300x1120px
>>1205444
Fuckers.
I can teach better and more knowledge about proper education and how to motivate students than any of these cocksuckers with a bachelor in analbleaching. And they just take the child molesting anime nerd that just wants to bang middle school kids like they do in his chinese cartoons because he got a degree in liberal arts or some other unnecessary degree.

This ain't fair.
>>
>>1205446
>he got a degree in liberal arts or some other unnecessary degree.
He has a degree. You don't. You don't fit the qualifications for the job. Stop bitching and get to work.
>>
>>1205446
Says the guy posting 2hu shit.
>>
>>1205449
It's still bullshit.
Would you hire a truck driver that hasn't got a truck license?
Well, he has a car license so it might turn out well, right?
Oh well, guess I will work in childcare then.

>>1205450
Eat shit buddy.
>>
>>1205446
Someone is projecting a little too hard
>>
>>1205426
>For the sake of planning fyi Dodonpa is closed until July 2017

Well shit. I was planning to go to Fuji-Q in April, and I never heard about this when I was looking into it last fall.
>>
>>1205475
Same, although dodonpa was probably the least exciting ride there so it's not a huge loss
>>
>>1205426
I was in Aokigahara, if it's snowing don't bother you can't do anything to get into the forest as the snow is piled waist high and the paths are all gone.
>>
Anyone know of any car meets this month other than udx or daikoku pa?

Im assuming most drift circuits are closed due to snow
>>
I got the runs after visiting Yokohama chinatown. Never again.
>>
What is the best time of the year to visit Japan for two weeks? Thinking about a balance of minimising cost, pleasant weather for someone accustomed to a very temperate climate, and seasonal attractions.
>>
Has anyone been to Tokyo or Osaka for Halloween? I see street stuff is getting popular. I see you have to change into costume at some venues but do you see people walking the streets in costume at all?
>>
>>1205506
Hanami or momiji of course. You'll drown in other tourists of course.
>>
>>1205532
does the spectacle outweigh the tourists suffocating everything?
>>
File: yufudake.jpg (202KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
yufudake.jpg
202KB, 2048x1536px
>>1205442
No way! Where abouts?
I was there Spring 2014 and Spring/Summer 2015 WWOOFing at the YMCA hostel and a ryokan called Toki no Kakera
>>
Well shit. I had a great plan to visit a friend who studies in Nipland, and I'd bring an additional friend with me. But now because of circumstances the entire plan is fucked and I'll have to go alone.

Anyone got any experiences traveling alone? Never done it before, is it bad or nice?
>>
>>1205537
On one hand, it's great that I can just do whatever I want without having to plan around everybody's interests and babysit them all day.
On the other I feel like I should be saving some of these first time experiences for when we can do it together. I wouldn't want to look at the same temple again, once is enough for me.
>>
File: yufufu.jpg (471KB, 1050x1400px) Image search: [Google]
yufufu.jpg
471KB, 1050x1400px
>>1205536
Haha, then we were definitely here at the same time - I've been here for a few years now. I live closer to the Self-Defense Force base.

Unfortunately, that outlook from which you took that photo was damaged in the earthquake last April and isn't accessible anymore. Yufudake hasn't changed, though.
>>
>>1205537
>>1205543
Also, I'm there march 7th to march 18th. Anyone else?
>>
The only good thing about Japan is that you can shitpost on 2ch.
>>
File: 7.5.14.jpg (204KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
7.5.14.jpg
204KB, 2048x1536px
>>1205544
Damn, don't know how you've stayed there so long, I was going stir crazy after 3 months! I mean, it's a nice place and I like going back there when I can for a few days, but I don't think I could live out there.

Yeah I saw some pictures from a friend there of the earthquake damage, how bad was it in town?
>>
New thread >>1205567
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.