[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do people end up paying so much for airfare? Paying over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: vegeta20.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
vegeta20.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
How do people end up paying so much for airfare?

Paying over $350 for a ticket from the eastern U.S. to Europe is completely insane. Yet I see people all the time BRAGGING about getting a one way ticket for $800.

Read an article on cheap airfaire between U.S. and Europe, they'll list prices in the high hundreds or low thousands.

What is this shit?
>>
Where do you get your cheap tickets OP?

Ameriburger here, cheapest I've paid for airfare is 300's to central America
>>
>>1067997
>tfw $1000 from central EU to the west coast
>can't find cheaper months ahead

fuck me
>>
>tfw flew from Warsaw to Kutaisi, Georgia (2000km) two-way for $50
>tfw flew from Rome to Warsaw for $50, could've flown from Bologna for like $20
>tfw Wizzair is a bro
>>
>>1067997
Our flights just cost more. The same flights booked from Europe will be significantly cheaper. Like 2Pac said: "That's just the way it iiiiis."
>>
>>1067997
>Paying over $350 for a ticket from the eastern U.S. to Europe is completely insane.
I don't go to Europe much, but in my experience paying over $350 is absolutely standard. I can barely fly cross-country in the US for so little. I'd be curious to know why you think otherwise.
>>
I live in Florida with 2 majors nearby (within 4 hours driving) and have gotten 180 to Colombia, 200 to Peru, 400 to Brazil. I've seen 500 to London out of Orlando multiple times, but 350 is pretty crazy.
>>
>>1067997
>why does it cost more to fly over a larger piece of land

Seriously?
>>
Because Americans have a much larger disposable income on average, so airlines charge more when leaving round-trip from the US.
>>
Protip for Burgers from a Bong: don't fly from major international tourist destinations (aka Florida or New York), Yuropeans snap them disneyland and 9/11 flights up quick. Fly from Boston, Atlanta, etc.

For even cheaper flights don't fly to London or Paris, try Amsterdam, Oslo or other hubs which aren't major destinations. Start your yurotrip from there or get connecting flight from a low cost airline, there's loads.
>>
>>1068062
Things will never chaaaaaange
>>
>>1067997
>flew standby from Chicago to London
>ticket was $118
>with fees it was around $500
fuck fees.
>>
>>1068301
Nah, you can get the biggest discounts out of LAX, NYC area, and Washington D.C., among others.
>>
I'm in Florida haven't seen a trip to Philippines for less than 1,000 been looking for 2 years. Anyone know how to get a cheap price? Also

>>1068339
How did you fly standby? Ever airline told me they don't do it anymore. Serious interest
>>
>>1068345
Mom's friend works for an airline (don't remember which one). She can choose like 2 or 3 people to put on her account who can fly cheap up to like 20 times a year (each connection, so LA to New York with a connection in chicago would count as 2 flights). Original price of the ticket before she worked her magic was $1,018 round trip.
>>
File: 1450713709569.jpg (52KB, 651x326px) Image search: [Google]
1450713709569.jpg
52KB, 651x326px
>Southern Europe
>Can fly to fucking anywhere in Europe/Eastern Europe from anywhere between 20 euros to 150
>Most of the time can't fly to England because price goes to 300+

I tell ya hwhat it's a fucking miracle I managed to find a return trip with luggage this month for 70 euros total. Trains though, what the fuck? I'm going to spend a bit more than my flight ticket's cost to go from Luton to Reading and back again. And prices just went up a bit more!
>>
>>1067997
Live in rural Kansas.

>so do I want to drive 2 hours to MCI or 3 hours to ICT?
>>
>>1068409

We get absolutely fucked on train fares m8. Same as on energy prices, for some reason they're way higher than the rest of Europe.

If you don't mind the bus National Express or Easybus will shuttle you to central London where you can get a National Express or Megabus to Reading.
>>
>>1068451
This guy knows. I avoid trains. Buses are a fair price for the UK, but it's annoying they take longer.
>>
>>1068451
>>1068454
Yeah, I looked into it. It would just be too much of a hassle and takes fucking ages. I've never been to London, I'm arriving alone with a backpack and luggage and with trains I'm already having 4 stops including a tube ride. I have to do the same at night when I come back home. I don't want to get lost or mugged, nor do I want to waste a day just being on the bus.

Rather put up with a bit more money spent and get to where I need to be as efficiently and quickly as possible to avoid any problems.
>>
>>1068456

Understood to be honest family. I've made the same calls myself in the past, it's always a trade off between time and money getting through London.
>>
>>1068057
Holy Shit duude this site is amazing. Did you encounter any problems with it ? Should i become a member ?
>>
>>1068466
It seems that way. Bummer is I actually need to move to England for my career at some point, and London is where it's all at. How the fuck do people afford to live there and get around? Can you even do that shit on a part-time job? The alternative is to live outside London and train it whenever I have work. Perhaps if I have multiple days, I'd find a cheap hostel and stay there instead of using the train so much.

Either way, I can't see it working out for me unless I go up with a few thousand pounds just to keep me alive until I get stable.
>>
Montreal Paris is like 650 Canadian so its like 450$.
>>
>>1068002
Flew from Boston to Germany to Serbia, $350 ticket from Lufthansa.

Could have also flown for $250 if I waited a few months with Norwegian Air.

Wowair and Norwegian air offer the best prices (usually like $350 or so from U.S. to Europe)
>>
>>1067997
I paid $700 for a roundtrip fort lauderdale to barcelona is that good?
>>
File: 1449803096330.jpg (10KB, 292x258px) Image search: [Google]
1449803096330.jpg
10KB, 292x258px
Bought two separate one ways in and out of Europe for $900 when all said and done. Just be flexible with dates and cities and you should be fine. Skiplagged is a good app to start with
>>
Flying from texas to Europe under 1200 round trip is a win,

Got this past trip for 1050 but that's extreme
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 1039x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 1039x338px
>>1068273

This
>>
>>1068539

Icelandair is pretty darn cheap too. For international flights at least
>>
guys you have it fucking easy i live west coast canada and the cheapest I've ever flown to eu (during peak seasons however) was around $1300 CAD, and that was a redeye with a long layover in shit airport. any good sites you use to find flights? looking at going to eu more after grad.
>>
>$798 round trip from Philadelphia to Narita

Bought from [spoiler]Orbitz[/spoiler]
For this past September, bought them in May/June
>>
>>1068697 Here,

Correction: It was $698
>>
>>1067997
>$350 flight to Europe

fuck me, I pay $1100+ one way from Australia to Germany with the cheapest airline.
>>
>>1068269
>2 majors
I'll take miami dade and ft lauderdale airport for 500 Alex
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.