[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What got you into collecting? What were the first figures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (410KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
410KB, 1024x685px
What got you into collecting? What were the first figures you collected?
>>
Glyos and hasbro transformers. Huge waste of money.
>>
1.Anime scale figures
2. I have no friends in real life and I'm so lonely. I use toys and figures to fill the void
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
That iron man on the wall was actually the first ML I've ever bought, kinda new at this.
>>
I never stopped buying toys since i was a kid

How come so many people here did?
>>
>>5401371
I discovered video games
>>
>>5401399
me too, but i still bought toys anyway.

i also bought comics, but that came and went a couple of times.

I was also pretty social and had girlfriends, and i still bought toys and wasn't even shy about having them get me stuff.
>>
>>5401369
How do you hang them on the walls
>>
>>5401415
How old are you, anon?
>>
>>5401419
Hot glue.
>>
My parents never bought me toys as a child because they didn't see the value in them so I would go to my friends houses and play with there's once I started working and could afford my own I started collecting
>>
My dad giving me his old star wars figures from potf to attack of the clones when i was 4
>>
>>5401424
30s
>>
>>5401599
>My dad giving me his old star wars figures from potf to attack of the clones when i was 4
>attack of the clones 2002 movie
>at least 4 when it came out
>2016 - 2002 = why /toy/ is so shit
literal kids on this board being stupid shitty kids
>>
>>5401371
Same for me. There was a brief lull in my teenage weeb phase when I spent most of my money on anime DVDs and manga, but I still got the occasional figure.
>>
Always loved action figures and toys growing up. Grew more into video games and anime in high school but occasionally bought mcfarlane or neca items. Got a decent paying job after college and started collecting robot damashii eva units. And so began my slippery slope into collecting. Its a fun albeit expensive hobby. No ragrets.
>>
Dad used to make a lot of money when I was younger, and I loved movies/tv/video game lore. I'm gonna guess my first collection was like Sesame Street figures, then Disney. My collecting changed as I grew up to match my taste such as Star Wars, video game characters, superhero, and random movies I liked. I think my biggest collection was and still is Star Wars just because how accessible it always was to pick up those. Although I stopped collecting in middle school/ part of high school because it wasn't "cool". Then, I got into punk music and stopped giving a shit about "cool". It's an on and off thing due to my having a lot of other hobbies. I try to keep it to capeshit and Star Wars these days, and only pick up when I have extra cash.
>>
File: 1452508196965.jpg (32KB, 406x406px) Image search: [Google]
1452508196965.jpg
32KB, 406x406px
>>5401334
Bad breakup.
Gunpla.
>>
>>5401334
RAH GI Joes.

Then when Hasbro bought Kenner and started doing Star Wars figures in the 90's I got a Shadows of the Empire Dash Rendar.
>>
>>5401371

didn't when I was a teenager because I didn't play with them anymore / videogames.

I think I started collecting right at the right time with how much of a quality jump in figures there was from 2011/12ish-2013
>>
>>5402074
>Although I stopped collecting in middle school/ part of high school because it wasn't "cool".
pfffft
That's when i started trading vintage SW figures for ARAH GI Joes.

Hanging out with cool social people means no one will say shit to you and maybe even suck up to you by pretending to be interested in toys. Loved HS.

>>5402289
>I think I started collecting right at the right time with how much of a quality jump in figures there was from 2011/12ish-2013
Those were years of decline.
I think it's only right now where we're actually seeing improvements again since 2008-2010
>>
>>5401334
I bought a figma samus and got hooked.
>>
I remember deciding it was something I wanted to do when I was little (girl, and I never wanted to ask my parents to buy boy toys for some reason) and I would eyeball the action figures at TRU.

Didn't actually start collecting til I had spending money in high school, I think the first 'real' figure I got was a Marvel Legends Man-Wolf because he looked neat.
>>
>>5401371
Me neither. The only thing that happened is that I often ended up switching scales thanks to various toy companies switching themselves or the other scale having more appealing figures.

I can't afford more than one. With Legends being back, I went back to the scale I began with, 6-inch.
>>
>>5401334
I always had toys as a kid. I remember my dad buying me some of the early power of the force SW figures and I had a Darth Vader that I carried around everywhere. I had tons of hot wheels, too. As I got older I sorta just continued having an interest in toys (mostly action figures). It was one of those things where you're meant to stop liking something but you continue liking it. I didn't really see a point in stopping buying figures, since its something that brings me a joy I didn't see a reason to quit collecting just bc its seen as the norm.
>>5401399
video games can only occupy you for however long you feel like sitting in front of the TV, toys are forever.
>>
File: IMG_0010.jpg (303KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0010.jpg
303KB, 1600x1200px
>>5401334
This set here followed by the Masterworks Sentinel. 200+ figures later I only sort of regret it
>>
I had an ok collection of ML's and star wars figures form when I was a kid. Wasn't really into it until I got my first job at 16.I met at a guy there who was also 16 and super into figures and comic books. We became best friends and now Im huge into collecting. Im 21 now and have a giant collection. Him and I still go to flea markets and trade shows looking for figures. Fun stuff
>>
ThreeA figures.. then SH Figuarts DBZ and Sentai. Now I'm selling my ThreeA figures lol..
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.