[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starfinder General /sfg/ spooky space edition /sfg/ unifie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 71

Starfinder General /sfg/

spooky space edition

/sfg/ unified link repository: https://pastebin.com/BBVzM7tm
Cheatsheet: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: http://paizo.com/starfinder/faq

old thread: >>55292252
>>
>>55322521
I WANT SPACE MERMAIDS
>>
>>55322580
SPACE MERMAIDS ARE COMING IN THE ALIEN ARCHIVE.
>>
>>55322652
the kalo look more like trilarians than mermaids. alot of the races in this game seem lifted from master of orion 3. not that that is a bad thing, not at all. moo3 had some of the best alien races ever.
>>
File: Capture.png (577KB, 511x653px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
577KB, 511x653px
>>55322652
hopefully this gets retconned into cute mermaids
>>
>>55322827
>Implying that Kalo isn't cute.
>>
>>55322521
That's not spooky space.
That skeleton IS the space rules.
>>
>>55322521
That's just a friendly Eoxian ore freighter pilot making his rounds.

He's a recurring side character who offsets the party's badass adventures with his blue collar wholesomeness and eventually saves their lives by offering a lift.

He tries really hard to make his ship comfortable for 'fleshies' but he tends to make amusing mistakes in providing food and comfortable guest quarters.
>>
>>55323071
>he bought food, once
>>
>>55322652
When the alien archive comes out I'm going to use the racegen rules and make every race from Endless Space. Then I will consider running a game. I swear, the things /tg/ complains about in these threads are such minor issues in actual play. As if a GM can't just change DCs.
>>
File: bright.gif (564KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
bright.gif
564KB, 800x430px
>>55323483
>autism on 4chan
you dont say?
>>
>>55323614
I've never seen that image before but I love it. Is it from a different board?
>>
File: nathan-sanders-alien-girl.jpg (586KB, 1124x1600px) Image search: [Google]
nathan-sanders-alien-girl.jpg
586KB, 1124x1600px
>>55322521
>>
So what do you guys think happened to all the dragons in Starfinder?
>>
>>55323483
Houseruling is cough-syrup.
It makes that one campaign feel better.
But it in no way fixes the underlying sickness.

Everyone knows that we can houserule things. But that cannot change the fact that the system came out half-assed and incomplete.
>>
>>55324070
If I were a developer my answer would be: Wait for the power-armor supplement where they will both be shown in all their ultimate glory.

But I don't work for paizo and likely never will.
>>
>>55324070
theres a bunch of dragons that rules empires on triaxis
>>
Has the game been fixed yet?
>>
>>55324262
too busy.
can't talk.
queering up.
>>
>>55323629
NEVER EVER
>>
>>55324070
Some of them are CEOs on Triaxus.

>>55323483
Give me your Discord or something because I want to be there when this happens, I'd be hyped as fuck for some Endless Space.

Were you going to run it in the setting? Or make your own?
>>
>>55322803
Now you're making me want the Silicoids, why are you doing this to me.
>>
So, uh... how do Shireen have sex?

Do the males and females get it on alone and the female just dumps fertilized eggs inside the host or is it always threesomes all the time? What if a shirren is only attracted to one sex instead of two?
>>
>>55324410
The victim's infested with the larval forms until they're ready to be transfered to an education jar.
>>
>>55324410
males and females fuck hosts separately
>>
>>55324468
Aren't Hosts used specifically for "batch births?" As in, a male and female can have a kid, but adding a Host means they can have 12?
>>
>>55324093
>the system came out half-assed and incomplete.

OK.

So what?

You've got an imperfect game in front of you. Do you play it or not play it? You must want to play it a little, or else you wouldn't be here... or maybe you just really like hating things. You'd be in good company. This is 4chan, plenty of people who like hating things. It's on one of the banners.

If people are going to play it and houserule away the things you don't like (very easy when they're something as trivial as the number you ask players to roll against), then you lose some of the consistency that helps people have discussions online about the rules. But since those discussions begin and end with "they fucked up the DCs", it's not a big loss.

Yes, they fucked up the DCs. This is the consensus, based largely on theorycrafting but probably accurate. No one is arguing that they didn't. Is there more to discuss other than how we intend to work past that issue?
>>
>>55322521
How did that head rot in hard vacuum?
>>
>>55324365
silicoids are in the game.
one of the outer planets.
they levitate with electro repulsor energy or something

imsaeis are in the game too, including their biotechnology
meklar are in, obviously.
sakkra are in
klackons are in
trilarians are in
>>
>>55324617
Weapon and armor balance have some issues. The weapon list is a bit of a mess.

Take crossbows for example. Not only do they not get faster/better (thought you'd get some kind of Jinouga-Vaporizer bowgun? Think again) but instead only cost more and more ammo at a time without getting to act as 'autofire', but you'll need longarm proficiency for some of them, and then heavy weapon proficiency if you want to keep using them as you level. Flame guns stop existing at level 2. Grenades are ridiculously overpriced. Other than countermeasures themselves security does almost nothing to hacking a computer: the more powerful the computer the harder it is to use anyways.

Combat on the ground becomes relatively rocket-tag like at higher levels - though nowhere near as bad as pathfinder certainly. Combat in space slows to a fucking crawl unless one upgrades to a capital ship with capital weapons as shields and health improve but weapons don't...
>>
>>55324710
Don't forget the Contemplatives being the end result of Psilon genetic tinkering.
>>
>>55324763
im sure there will be bulrathi in the alien book too.
the pact definately needs a tough mammal race to counter the veskarium
>>
I've got a mind to make a mechanic, however I need to know if starting with 14 Intelligence is going to fuck me over? This 10 PB deal is really raw, I'm looking at 16/14 Dex/Int and the +2 from Human either being put in either, or neither.

And while I'm on the topic, what's a good mod for a Combat chassis designed to be a sort of "Watchdog" companion, very observant and downright vicious in close quarters? I'm considering quite a few mods, but I need your advice (one that's calling to me for some wild reason is the Skill Routine, or however it's called; the one that gives a bonus skill and +2 Intelligence. Manipulator Arms too, or Hardened AI or Enhanced Sensors or Armor.)
>>
>>55324338
>Were you going to run it in the setting? Or make your own?

I'd definitely run it in the setting, adding elements that could plausibly have always been there but abstracted away or not really explored because they weren't relevant to the course of the grand strategy game. For instance, I can pretty much invent anything I want for human-scale combat, because the games themselves only model ship-to-ship with any level of detail. Nothing in the games contradicts how Starfinder works or requires a system that Starfinder doesn't have.

I'd invent a section of the galaxy where no one major player has full control over what's going on, which is pretty similar to what always happens when I play the game and everyone starts in the arms of the galaxy and works their way coreward. The Academy would be there. Auriga would be out there somewhere, with no one admitting to knowing where it is. I'd keep the Star Lane/Warp/Wormhole methods of FTL travel, depending on whether the PCs are going somewhere inhabited/somewhere uncharted/somewhere else entirely.

No races would be prohibited. The Academy doesn't discriminate. None of the empires discriminate. Emperor Zelevas wants YOU to serve humanity, whether you're human or not. Horatio Prime... well, maybe don't be too unique around him. But regardless, if any species can serve in any empire, then why couldn't they all be members of the same adventuring party. Players looking to make their character special and unique are going to have to work hard to be something people haven't seen before.
>>
>>55324796
>tfw no Alkari race
>tfw no Darlok
>>
So since Raise Dead is neutral aligned now, shouldn't Pharasma be only mad at FORCED Undeath or like, using undeath just to extend your life?
>>
>>55324852
you want a mechanic with 14 int?
and then you want to make a shit tier drone?
and THEN you want 16 dex?

jesus fuck dude
>>
>>55324909
Well, shit. Looks like I won't be applying to any campaigns between here and October, because I want to make sure my schedule is wide open for you!
>>
>>55324922
Guide my hips with this, man. Should I go for 14/16 Dex/Int? What's wrong with my Drone concept? How do I shot web?
>>
>>55324977
dont be a fucking human, for start.
there are 3 races that make good mechanics, and human is not one
>>
>>55324563
Hosts contribute their own genetics, so a two parent Shirren doesn't work. The closest thing that comes up to batch breeding in the race description is mention of how sometimes the host is the incubating 'true' parent of multiple male/female couples in some communities, while in others the host is simply one member of a three person marriage.

Space bug sex is weird.
>>
>>55324977
The thing to remember anon, is that you get FOUR statboosts every five levels.

And if that statboost goes into a stat that's 16 or below, the stat increases by 2 points. 17 or up gets 1 point.

The lower starting stats is balanced by better stat growth, especially across multiple stats.
>>
>>55325043
idk, Shirren are neither good nor bad and Lashunta might hurt your will save, but you get a bonus to hacking.
>>
>>55324796
How about the Nuar? The cybernetic loving minotaur race? They could be beefy enough to counter a Vesk but they'd be outnumbered.
>>
>>55325130
So... Post racial... I should have 16 Dex/16 Int?
>>
>>55325455
Yes.

But because of that fucking worthless extraneous +1 from your theme, you'll have an odd number left at the end of the day unless you take a 17.
>>
>>55325384
>tfw you will never be a filthy breeding sow to increase the Nuar's numbers
>>
File: Gun-design-2.jpg (2MB, 4000x2287px) Image search: [Google]
Gun-design-2.jpg
2MB, 4000x2287px
>>55324755
Why do you think the weapons increase in damage so dramatically as you level up? Most similar RPGs have some weapon scaling, but nothing as dramatic as the range Starfinder has going on. I don't see the design intention. Why this and not the standard +5 sword approach?
>>
File: eyal-degabli-mermaid-01-s20.jpg (361KB, 1448x2048px) Image search: [Google]
eyal-degabli-mermaid-01-s20.jpg
361KB, 1448x2048px
>>55325455
post racial you should be 18/16/11
or 18/16/9
>>
File: flak cannon is that you.jpg (221KB, 1000x1532px) Image search: [Google]
flak cannon is that you.jpg
221KB, 1000x1532px
>>55325689
My impression is that they're trying to load damage increases into core weapon selection rather than put it into class abilities and feats; that leaves class abilities and feats for things that are burden-of-optimal-play damage increases.
>>
>>55325621
the +1 is not worthless.
it can be used to up your str to an odd number. then you can use the backpack to give +1 for carrying
so its almost useless
>>
>>55325689
Also, the ergonomics of these guns deeply annoy me. Imagine trying to hold A4, C4, or B5.
>>
>>55325771
could be alien weapons
>>
File: 1446146785630.jpg (52KB, 360x400px) Image search: [Google]
1446146785630.jpg
52KB, 360x400px
>>55325621
Awesome!

Okay, so about that Droid... How does I do it? I want something with the Combat Chassis and Close Quarters, what mods would you say are critical for this to work?
>>
So I'm going to be starting a Starfinder campaign soon, and I've got a few questions about the mechanic class.
Well mainly about the custom rig. First the game says you can fit the whole rig into a cybernetic implant, do you have to pay for that implant? Also that seem really tiny for also being a full mechanics tool kit.

Second, if I get a artificial personality on my custom rig computer, would I be able to use it to diplomacy checks etc for my character?

Third, the exocortex uses my skill bonus to hack. Does this include my insight bonuses from the class feature? and could it include my equipment bonuses if its in a situation where the equipment could be used?
>>
File: looper-poster-2.jpg (1MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
looper-poster-2.jpg
1MB, 4000x3000px
>>55325771
>B5
Reminds me of the blunderbuss from Looper, the gun required by the plot to be so awful it can't hit anything further than five yards away.

>>55325863
You never pay for class features. And yes, it's very small. I haven't really been thinking about that as a problem, since I was thinking about Exocortex Androids, and like the idea of being quite mechanical from level 1.
Ask your GM about the diplomacy checks, they may well be cynical. If you want a point to argue in your favour, point out how your level 7 class feature works.
It's the same bonus for hacking. You basically get some extra actions.
>>
>>55325863
>do you have to pay for that implant?
yes, unless youre an android then you can insert it for free
>>
>>55325961
doing exocortex android myself. Figure I'll start with the free armor slot for the rig, just because I like the lore of it better.
Priest theme, so modding himself with all the stuff and being both creator and created being is very spiritual for him.

Also starting with the free skill focus in diplomacy, and generally going with a theme of having to use additional AI personalities in his head to actually communicate well with people.
>>
Post the theme for your first character!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Vg2YS-sFE
>>
>>55326062
this guy >>55326015
Tech Priest
Only instead of the dogmatic, secretive, and superstitious priest archetype that 40k uses, the priest archetype of someone given to good works, outreach, and trying to explain complex spiritual beliefs in personal terms sort of priest. Like Father Forthill from Dresden Files, or Shepard Book.

Also carries enough gun to defend the innocent. So a little bit Michael.

but also finds human facial and body language a foreign language, so does the equivalent of the speaking slowly and over enunciating.
>>
>>55325989
What do you think the Mechanic would pay for that implant? There's no listed cost for a custom rig, it's just a thing that all Mechanics have.
>>
>>55325989
>>55326181
There's no listed price to install it in your head, but it says it can be combined with a datajack. I forget if there was a price multiplier on that, but yeah. Datajack.
>>
>>55326181
The implantation itself shouldn't cost anything because it's a class feature. The only reference to cost is being able to combine a brain-mounted custom rig with a datajack for the data jack's price.
>>
>>55325740
So what would a Pathfinder class have gotten instead to boost damage over levels? Iterative attacks? Those were always terrible. I'm not sure what the increased damage numbers accomplish other than the general principle of making numbers bigger as you level up.
>>
>>55326286
People already get damage boosts as they level from their Weapon Specialization.

Reminder that 10d6 is on average like 35. Dice are deceptive.
>>
I'll dump some guns.

Anybody got good starships?
>>
File: 22a8253b798832c8854a2ad339e10e5d.jpg (256KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
22a8253b798832c8854a2ad339e10e5d.jpg
256KB, 1920x1080px
>>55326425
>>
File: 654485_wookmark.jpg (308KB, 1920x1098px) Image search: [Google]
654485_wookmark.jpg
308KB, 1920x1098px
>>55326433
>>
File: M.2187_Model_IW.png (251KB, 769x246px) Image search: [Google]
M.2187_Model_IW.png
251KB, 769x246px
>>55326478
>>
>>55325689
The devs wanted to get rid of iterative attacks but with the mandate the Company gave them for keeping it PF compatible and the deadline they had to work with they couldn't get around the HP bloat easily so they ended up folding them damage scaling into gear.
>>
>>55326327

Which is really not much when you're looking at an average human soldier having ~176 HP and ~192 stamina.

Actually, I'm kind of worried looking at that for what the numbers of higher level creatures are going to look like in terms of damage and HP/Stamina.

I mean, you'd assume a solo type creature has to survive at least 2 rounds of fire from PCs at 50 damage a piece, so that's at least 500 between HP/Stamina.
>>
Is 10-12 Con a death sentence for martials like it was in Pathfinder?
>>
File: Kuda_Gunsmith_model_BO3.png (749KB, 1486x812px) Image search: [Google]
Kuda_Gunsmith_model_BO3.png
749KB, 1486x812px
>>55326489
>>
>>55326729

You don't really have melee martials. Overall? Con is pretty meh for how much HP and Stamina you get without it.
>>
>>55326720
I'm not sure if NPCs get Stamina. I know they don't get resolve.
>>
>>55326784
Based on what we have so far, NPCs shouldn't get stamina normally but have I think ~25% more health.
>>
>>55326720
>>55326784
Ok so I just went and looked at the Dead Suns module's creatures. Only on had Resolve and none had Stamina.
Akata CR 1 HP 18
Bone Trooper CR 3 HP 34
Driftdead CR 2 HP 22
Garaggakal CR 5 HP 75 RP 4
Ruazhaunt CR 6 HP 92
Vracinea CR 4 HP 51
Void Zombie CR 1 HP 22
>>
>>55326783
What about Wisdom? Is that still a must-have bumped?
>>
>>55326940

Wisdom is still a great stat. Will saves are important and perception/sense motive are still two powerful skills.

The best stats are Wisdom, Int and Dex.
The worst stat is Charisma. Because it alone has no mechanics other than it's related skills.
>>
>>55326940
Dex is probably the new must have.
Because guns are a thing, and so dex will be a big part of doing damage for most people. In addition to initiative, ref save, and AC.
>>
Man, the math in this game is awful. Played one of the level 1-2 adventures today. The starship combat opening took two fucking hours. You need to roll above average to do something you're good at, needing 14s for our best suited to hit the enemy, and dealing with giant sacks of hit points that mathematically couldn't realistically beat us, just waste two hours.

And then we land were attacked by a monster who hits our highest a.c. On a 5, dealing 70% of our hp in a hit, dual attacking and dropping someone every round. With its a.c. that, again, our fighters hit on a 13.

What a shit time.
>>
>>55326720
They did want to avoid everyone being able to one-shot everyone (both ways), so that much isn't necessarily an issue.

It does feel damned odd that there's THAT much of a difference though because they did it entirely with weapons. A Zenith Laser Rifle for example deals 8.5 times the damage of an Azimuth. An old 9x15 115gr delivers 481 joules, but a 5.7x28 AP (534 joules) while certainly a more advanced design most definitely does not deliver more punch than a .303!
>>
What's the average AC of CR 1 and 2 monsters?

Does the game really hover around 40% success chance on the things you're an expert at all the way?
>>
>>55327193
11-13 EAC and 12-15 KAC
>>
>>55327158

I'm more referring to what looks like it's going to be a lot of HP bloat on the creature side.

>>55326924

That' interesting, but doesn't really change anything number-wise. It just means that it's all HP and still needs to be ~500 minimum for a CR 16 creature. That makes sense from a standpoint of 'monsters are one shot and won't need stamina durhur!' but it's a shame that monster/npc mechanics are divorced from PC mechanics.
>>
>>55327193
If you mean skills, someone who keeps their ability mod high, has max ranks in the skill for their level, and has a bonus to that skill specifically from their class can expect a fairly consistent 75% or so success rate vs. a level appropriate check (unless it's opposed), plus or minus 5% or so. Everyone else can start competent in most anything if they set their mind to it, but will fall behind until they can't even get an even chance of success.
>>
>>55322521
the CRB link in the repo is expired.

does anyone have a new link to put in the OP?

preferably Mega so it doesn't just die in a week.
>>
>>55327064

I have just discovered how bad the Computer skill DCs are, and am surprised no one is talking about that. That it's effectively impossible to root a Tier 1 computer on a natural 20 with max computer mods until 5th level.

Any sort of combat hacking is effectively impossible, and unless I'm missing something, the DC's to root Tier 7-10 computers is pretty much impossible in any normal play. DC 65? Yay!
>>
>>55327358
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/starfinder/username/mageguru/
>>
>>55327397
thanks, palorino.
>>
>>55327358
Seconding this, was about to download it and just found out it expired. sucks.
>>
>>55327317

NOPE.JPEG

Tier 1 Computer DC to hack is 17. A mechanic with Skill focus, 1 rank and an 18 INT is at +8.

Rooting a Tier 1 computer is IMPOSSIBLE for a mechanic maximized toward doing so until 5th level at which point they still have to roll a 20 to do so (and must have been a Lashunta).

That's a 45% chance. If you need to do it faster than 3 rounds, you're now down to a 20% chance for a 2 rounds of time and you can't do it in a single round.

It gets progressively worse from there.
>>
>>55327451
ummm, a lot of that math is off.
+3 for having a trained skill. +1 to computers for bypass.
So no need for skill focus, Level 1 mechanic with 1 rank and 18 in is at +9.
And that's in a situation with no circumstance bonuses and can't take 10. So at risk, no prep time, etc.

So you get a 60% chance to succeed, with just Int 18 and skill, with no bonuses.
>>
>>55327451
Congratulations, you have found an exception to my general statement by finding something that disregards the already screwed up scaling by going and having even more screwed up scaling. Would you like to mention starships next? Because computers are basically running at 15+2*level, except their levels count twice since they only go up to 10.
>>
>>55327547
>>55327317
>bitches don't know bout scaling starship difficulties
>dc 60 to do a barrel roll at level 20
>difficulty to pilot increases as you pimp your ride
>>
>>55327595
>the better you get, the worse you are
fucking A+ game design, Paizo.
>>
>>55327640
They had to get those books out to GenCon, anon! They had to!
>>
>>55327541
>correct math
It's still impossible to get root access though, unfortunately.
>>
File: 1392479492807.jpg (54KB, 305x309px) Image search: [Google]
1392479492807.jpg
54KB, 305x309px
>>55325838
>Okay, so about that Droid... How does I do it? I want something with the Combat Chassis and Close Quarters, what mods would you say are critical for this to work?

I'm going to assume the silence means a bladewolf is out of the question.
>>
File: 1244517817219.jpg (131KB, 924x924px) Image search: [Google]
1244517817219.jpg
131KB, 924x924px
>>55325689
>>
File: 1284183115568.jpg (87KB, 550x350px) Image search: [Google]
1284183115568.jpg
87KB, 550x350px
>>55327728
>>
>>55327541
>>55327681
>*impossible to get root access without circumstance bonuses
I can words I swear.
>>
>>55327742
the only spacegun I'll even need
>>
>>55327595
>>55327640
you need to have scaling difficulty to keep challenges having risks of failure, though using starship tier was a very bad way to implement it.

We'll probably end up houseruling it to have maneuver difficulty tied to the pilot roll to go last.
>>
>>55327742

I wonder how you'd stat up a Caster Gun. Spellslinger fusion is nice but very much for pre-loaded stuff. Can't fire like a normal gun but can be loaded as a move action and has better scaling (/3 rather than /5 like the normal spellslinger)?
>>
>>55327755
well yes, but you're gaining root access to a computer that you basically just sat down at with no prep work, no back channels, etc etc.
It even says under root access "usually this is impossible". It's not supposed to be a normal thing you do.
>>
>>55327799
Normal spellslinger is 1/4, but 1/3 would still be a step up. It would actually let you get those 6th level spells.
>>
>>55327856
well, if it was supposed to be a caster gun, using the those level 6 spells should require cause con damage or something.
>>
Why can't my Lvl 1 character stab somebody a Lvl 9 knife?

It's still just a knife. Why can't I pick it up?
>>
>>55327979
>Why can't my Lvl 1 character stab somebody a Lvl 9 knife?

You can, anon. The levels assigned to weapons aren't there to lock you out of using them, they're there to give the DM an idea of when that should start coming up as loot.

A level 1 character can easily stab somebody with a level 9 knife, the only question you need to ask is how that level 1 character got a level 9 knife in the first place.
>>
>>55327595
Wrong.
You don't have to pimp your ride at all. It can remain exactly, 100% precisely the starting vessel you started with, perfectly maintained and never damaged (so no trying to pull out THAT excuse) and just because you've made it to level 20, it's now DC50 just to put her in reverse.
>>
>>55328012
The weapon levels also determine what and how many Fusions you can put on them
>>
>>55328012
Actually the weapon levels also limit the fusions,etc that you can put or use on them.
>>
>>55327547

>> Starship scaling off
>> Skill scaling off
>> Computer skill scaling even more off

Seriously? I suppose the soldier getting worse at basically every check while keeping skill maxed is A-Ok too, and totally not a for-reals problem guys!

Look, we already know that DC scaling is bullshit on pretty much every front. We've know it since 4e. Starfinder didn't magically get it right.
>>
>>55328200
Think we should be getting a Starfinder 1.5 some time soon?
>>
>>55327824

You are aware that a tier 1 computer is an electronic door lock, right? I'd link you, but a quick google will turn up how easy it is to hack electronic door locks now. This is the kind of info a hacker would know or be able to look up pretty routinely, especially from all the info they could store in their custom rig.

Hell, I'd be willing to bet money that your home network equipment either has the default user/pass on it, or your modem has a deliberatly backdoor from the vendor.

The fact of the matter is that DC's for the computer skill are not conductive to game play, unless you want players to basically just shrug at it and ignore it.
>>
>>55327856

Right, my bad on the /5 there. Miss-typed. I might see what I can type up on that front.

My thoughts:

>Can be loaded as a move action.
>Can be fired as a standard action (Rather than the full round)
>Special Prof (Like bows are)
>Get spec on the spell like it was a pistol

Make it worth the investment by being a good bit better than the basic spellslinger.
>>
>>55328214

They'll drop a big errant online, they might start on 1.5 and fix all the bullshit fuckups, but we won't see that until sales of 1.o slow down, and since people are willing to look over massive mechanical fuckup after massive mechanical fuck up, I'd say not for quite a while.
>>
File: Capture.png (81KB, 1208x847px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
81KB, 1208x847px
>>55322521
Can't access the Core Rulebook anymore. The site says access requires premium membership. Can someone upload it to Mega?
>>
File: but planets move too though.png (23KB, 372x210px) Image search: [Google]
but planets move too though.png
23KB, 372x210px
>>
>>55328526

This was literally posted earlier this thread.

>http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/starfinder/username/mageguru/
>>
>>55328734
forgot to say
>filename
>>
Anyone have "Gravity Age: Cybernetics Emporium" by Stroh Hammer?
>>
>>55328734

Planets move slow A.F.
>>
>>55324617
That's right, and nothing will ever fix it. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.
>>
>>55328777
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+fast+does+the+earth+move&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

no they don't.
>>
>>55328751
Physics has never been a strong point of Paizo writers. It's all about the feels bruh.
And the messaging. Oh, the messaging.
>>
>>55328734

Here's the thing, it's a bullshit explanation for no reason. IT'S FUCKING MAGIC. Don't try to science it up and get it stupidly wrong.
>>
>>55328858
IKR. Why couldn't they just have said the power core causes some kinda space distortion when the ship's moving around, or something.
>>
>>55328858
>>55328881

Or just do the whole 'Can't beam through the shields' that star trek had.
>>
>>55328896
Well, then you could board people just by knocking their shields down.

Which would actually be... way more interesting than how boarding currently works.

IE it doesn't.
>>
File: 1482332624134.png (231KB, 512x472px) Image search: [Google]
1482332624134.png
231KB, 512x472px
Should my Human Mechanic grab Heavy Armor Proficiency to suit up in some Hidden Soldier armor? Is Heavy Armor even that useful?

What are some Must Have feats for a Mechanic.
>>
>>55328910

Careful, if you had boarding you might give Soldiers and Solarians something to DO in space combat.
>>
>>55328331
except it's not.
look at what a tier one computer is actually supposed to be able to do.
It's a iPhone, not a door lock.
>>
>>55328990
instead of just having access to the pilot skill, and the best attack bonuses for gunnery.
>>
>>55329045
>Best bonuses
You mean 'full BAB'?
>>
>>55329045
the pilot skill can replace your attack bonus for gunnery, so as long as it's kept updated, whoever has the highest dex is the best gunner.
>>
>>55328792

Oh, alright. Still, you can't teleport between planets without a special spell that can only do that and only that, so it doesn't really matter.
>>
Is it better to be a 'undead minion' kind of necromancer as a Technomancer or Mystic?

Is necromancing even viable in Starfinder?
>>
>>55329157
>He's not a BAB-y
>>
File: trololo.png (158KB, 415x281px) Image search: [Google]
trololo.png
158KB, 415x281px
>>55329018

Really? Reeeeeallly?
>>
File: 1418450367450.jpg (25KB, 373x373px) Image search: [Google]
1418450367450.jpg
25KB, 373x373px
>>55329315
>mfw your character struggles to flip the light switch
>>
I want make a graviton Solarian with 18 chr. How fucked am i?
>>
>>55329315
>might be
>datapad
a datapad, with a network access upgrade. Hey look, it's an iphone.

And the door lock would be a smart lock, which exist now. They have RFID readers, can be networked into a security system, etc.

A lighting controller would be a computer aided lighting board used by theaters, not a light switch. It's impossible to get root access to a light switch, because there is no computer to access.
>>
File: Tier 0.png (132KB, 673x456px) Image search: [Google]
Tier 0.png
132KB, 673x456px
>>55329018
>It's a iPhone
>>55329315

>An electronic lock is Tier 1, an iPhone is Tier 0.
>>
>>55329435
See >>55329435
A Tier 1 with network access would be a tablet, not a smartphone.
>>
>>55329387
Do you want to go for Solar Armor instead of Solar Weapon?
Might as well make yourself completely fucked.
>>
>>55329579
>Smartphones
>Sexting and l33t speak are now canon

Oh my god.
>>
>>55329435
>A lighting controller would be a computer aided lighting board used by theaters, not a light switch. It's impossible to get root access to a light switch, because there is no computer to access.

Really? Reeeelly?
>>
>>55329693
>Implying wizards weren't doing that shit with Sending already.
>>
>>55329579

Which has nothing to do with a door lock being specifically stated as a tier 1 computer...in the rules... explictly.
>>
>>55329728
I imaging the Tier 1 door locks are supposed to be decent ones with a retina scanner or security key card not the cheap keypad kind you find in a hardware store.
>>
File: tumblr_old1ajqIil1ti6cxjo1_1280.png (554KB, 1050x1290px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_old1ajqIil1ti6cxjo1_1280.png
554KB, 1050x1290px
>>55322521

Post cute robutts
>>
File: 7f2881db64e50878936ca528783f7fe8.png (275KB, 1024x1376px) Image search: [Google]
7f2881db64e50878936ca528783f7fe8.png
275KB, 1024x1376px
>>55329776
>>
File: robut_2.jpg (199KB, 1280x1084px) Image search: [Google]
robut_2.jpg
199KB, 1280x1084px
>>55329776

Yup!
>>
>>55329759

We don't know what they actually are, but we do know the mechanical rules for trying to hack one. The whole point is some idiot upstream claimed that door locks were not Tier 1 computers to hack because some other piece of equipment was effectively Tier 0. The problem is he's factually wrong because 'door locks' with no other given information are Tier 1 computers for the purposes of hacking/rooting them.

So maybe it is some super secure ultra-advanced retina scanner. And maybe it's a Kwikset smartkey.
>>
File: IMG_0179.jpg (95KB, 600x839px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0179.jpg
95KB, 600x839px
>>55329892
So the other two I can understand, but this one has to be some fetishist's attempt at seeing how far they can skirt the laws on decency
>>
>>55329982

I don't have many SFW robutts
>>
File: IMG_0031.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0031.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
>>55330015
I understand.

Are you looking forward to more mechanical Androids?
>>
>>55330061

Yeah, Something vaguely female, but mostly robotic looking. Not the nearly indistinguishable things we got.

or at least humans with more obviously robotic bits to them.
>>
File: IMG_0041.png (1006KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0041.png
1006KB, 1280x1024px
>>55330109
I get ya, phampire

Thinking about it, I'm getting some Eclipse Phase vibes from an idea of mine but I need some help:

Why would some Large/Huge size construction equipment wind up with individuality?

What would they do to help on Spaceships and get themselves off world?
>>
>>55329643
Lol I actually do want to go with the armor
>>
>>55329866
>>55330015
Isn't this robo-chick from an actual steam game? Like, not even exaggerated in this art, its literally just a game where you watch her climb ladders and crouch and the camera is staring into her ass the whole time. I can't remember the name of the game and I don't know where I would begin to search for it with respect to tags etc.
>>
File: 1351322953260.jpg (333KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1351322953260.jpg
333KB, 1200x900px
>>55330231
Okay nevermind, reverse image search just told me it's "Haydee". Surprising amount of praise for the actual gameplay.

/sfwrobut
>>
File: fc6.png (241KB, 680x536px) Image search: [Google]
fc6.png
241KB, 680x536px
>>55330061
Boi why is that picture so stretched
>>
>>55330231
>>55330294
The creators of Haydee were asked about it, and they were just like 'We like sexy things'

Gotta respect those mad russian bastards. Helps that the game is apparently good too.
>>
File: Lich with a GUN.jpg (99KB, 731x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Lich with a GUN.jpg
99KB, 731x1000px
Spoopy rifleman squad
>>
>>55330861
ACK ACK
>>
Does anyone have the Starfinder Society Scenario #1 or 2? (Not the #0 one)
>>
Does anyone have any good art for an Orbital Drone Platform?
>>
>>55331283
>>55328526
>>55322521
go to the 7chan trove linked in the pfg OP. It's mega has everything starfinder related. Maybe we should update the paste bin link
>>
File: Orbital Drone Platform.png (460KB, 1156x938px) Image search: [Google]
Orbital Drone Platform.png
460KB, 1156x938px
>>55331689
I decided to use this as my picture for my orbital drone platform. Spoiler stats in image for adventure modules.
>>
For everyone struggling to find any of the books or adventures:

It's all in the mega in the Paizo slash Pathfinder general thread. Has been since it dropped. Stop being bad.
>>
>>55331750
>Stop being bad.
We try. But it's become instinctual muscle memory at this point.
>>
File: tumblr_nxe6zf00fy1rslow9o1_1280.png (2MB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxe6zf00fy1rslow9o1_1280.png
2MB, 1000x1500px
>>
File: IMG_0048.jpg (152KB, 600x836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0048.jpg
152KB, 600x836px
>>55333367
That image looks like something out of a boss battle. I expected to see a healthbar appear over head.
>>
Been abroad so I havn't looked at the book yet, but, how are you guys finding it?
>>
>>55335329

Kind of messy in places, particularly where high-level starship combat is concerned. Definitely suffers from We Rushed to Get This Printed In Time for GenCon syndrome. Hopefully, errata is forthcoming.

Also, some people are miffed about the release date disparity between the core book and the Alien Archive.
>>
>>55335329
Needs some work at high level but otherwise good

Solarians are weak early on (solar weapon of gtfo), everything else is good, Martial classes rejoice, Full-casters are btfo.
>>
Anyone have a link for the corebook? The one in OP link is dead.
>>
>>55336017
see
>>55327397
>>
File: 1503023305156.jpg (98KB, 736x1103px) Image search: [Google]
1503023305156.jpg
98KB, 736x1103px
I BLAME THE FAGGOT WHO POSTED THIS PICTURE, BECAUSE OF HIM I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANYTHING LESS THAN A ROBOT MECHANIC WITH FOUR ARMS. HIS NAME WILL BE SGT. PEPPERS OF THE LONELY HEARTS BAND CLUB, AND HE WILL FIND YOU A WAIFU. HE IS A WALKING TALKING MEME AND I BOTH HATE IT AND LOVE IT, BECAUSE IT'S ONLY MUSICAL REFRENCES, ESPECIALLY ROMANTIC SONGS. WHAT'S THAT, SOMETHING NEEDS FIXING? AFFERMATIVE, SGT. PEPPERS IS ON THE CASE. HE WILL HAVE A HAPPY ENDING WHERE HE FINDS HIS OWN WAIFU AND FINALLY SETTLES DOWN AND COMPLETES HIS GALAXY WIDE WEBSITE FOR WHOLESOME DATING. HIS FAVOURITE THINGS ARE HANDHOLDING, HEADPATS, HUGS, KISSES, TRUE LOVE, INNOCENT LOVE, WHOLESOME STUFF, AND DRONES FITTED WITH VARIOUS DEADLY PROJECTILE LAUNCHERS.
>>
>>55336637

What a goober.
>>
>>55336637
That guy looks like the lord nyax of robots
You should be ASHAMED OF YOURSELF
>>
>>55336663
Thank you. I haven't told anybody about this character before now, but I couldn't hold it back anymore. I had to let somebody know about him. He really is a goober with a heart of gold.
>>
>>55336771
I don't know about the picture, but I can assure you my character has nothing to do with Star Wars.
>>
>>55336789

Is his heart literally made of gold? Because if it isn't, I'll be very disappointed with you.
>>
>>55336919
Haha, I suppouse it could be. Gold is very conductive, is it not? Could be the explanation for his... energetic behavior. I actually had a Clockwork character in Shadow of the Demon Lord whose big secret was that he had a heart made of actual pure 24 carat gold. Would have been worth a lot considering how big he was. But I only played him for one session before being invited to my first Pathfinder session. Havent figured out Sgt. Peppers entire build yet, but I do now I want to get the climbing and swimming feat, along with a hover drone so I can cover all the different movements. I'll focus on getting as many skills as possible for him. I do hope Paizo introduces some "Extra [class ability]" feats soon, I love those the most. My alchemists always takes at least 8 extra discoveries, since I don't find the other feats so useful for them.
>>
File: 1459612821114.gif (61KB, 156x267px) Image search: [Google]
1459612821114.gif
61KB, 156x267px
>>55337044
>You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
>>
>>55337044
>I do hope Paizo introduces some "Extra [class ability]" feats soon, I love those the most.

Oh my god, this. I just want to take "Extra Mod" so I can make my Droid the happiest Droid in the world.
>>
>>55337371
Now you're talking my language, my fellow drone lover.
>>
>>55328915
>What are some Must Have feats for a Mechanic.

G-Guys? I'm this close to picking Toughness/Skill Synergy here, and I need some suggestions on how that is retarded and I should go with something else.
>>
>>55337424
Seriously, the trickle of Mods you get in relation to the sheer number of options really dampens my ability to turn my adorable little Droid into a character unto themselves, which is what the Droid should be.
>>
>>55337463
Exactly, exactly! Hell, I want to male a droid that can help me fix stuff, so I want to give it tool arm with a blowtorch, but I also want those high level mods as well. So until further notice from Paizo, if i ever get in a game, I'll beg my DM to houserule the Extra Mod and other such feats into the game. Then my build will be ready in like 30 seconds, and I can be the chipper worker drone turned matchmaker I have dreamed of being. But speaking off. What are some good pistols and light weaponry for Mechanics to use? They don't seem to have much in the way of heavy pistols/hand cannons, which disappoints me, and a lot of the pistols look really weak.
>>
>>55328915
>>55337431

What kind of mechanic, anon? What do you want them to be good at?
>>
Homebrewing Zoltan from FTL.

Does anyone have enough spaceship combat experience to know if more power for ship systems would break the balance?

Trying to decide if their innate ability to harness energy should power the ship like in-game or their abilities and armor (Though that'll probably be rolled into some racial Archetypes too)
>>
>>55337593
I want them to be good at skills and roughing it, which necessitates Toughness and Survival as a class skill. Mechanic never struck me as a class meant to be good at the shoot-bangs, so really the character's primary focus is on being good at being useful without a blaster.

Because that's what his Droid is for, a close-combat killing machine.
>>
>>55337593
>>55337728
Forgot to mention; the nitty gritty I'm planning is
>Human Mechanic 1,
>16 Dex 16 Int
>Combat Chassis Droid with Double Melee upgrades, Advanced Melee proficiency, and Weapon Focus (Melee.) Mod is still in the air, but oscillating between Enhanced Armor and +10 Speed
>>
>>55337728
>>55337794

In that case, yeah, some heavier armor could be useful.
>>
>>55338148
So Enhanced Armor for the chromehound and Heavy Armor for the egghead, gotcha.
>>
>>55338221
Wait a minute... Heavy Armor requires Str 13, which my character won't have.

I mean, it's either 16/16 without HAP or 16/14 with HAP. And I'm not sure that sounds like a swell idea.
>>
How well do Starfinder and Pathfinder integrate? Would you be able to use a group of Pathfinder characters in a Starfinder campaign?
>>
>>55336637
caps lock is cruise control for cool
>>
>>55337608
Power's a major consideration at the early levels. However it eventually caps out by ship size at which point shit gets annoying.

Power's not a problem on any ship capable of equipping two or more cores. Medium/Large can spend an expansion bay on this and thus are in the clear, and huge or larger generally won't even need that since they can install 2/3/4 cores in the first place.

Power is a problem on tiny/small ships not because "limits on systems" but because "hundreds of BPs you can't use".

Let's take a small frame for example. You'll be extremely hard-pressed to spend more than 600 BPs on there: the PCU limits you enough that spending 600 requires massive security upgrades and spending quite a few points on things you'd otherwise avoid like mark 15 armor (goodbye agility and TL). And by then shields have gotten rather massive, enough that your peashooters and need for like 4 gunners is making fights take forever.
>>
>>55338510
questionably.
it's one of those "totally convertible" games where the bosses said "it has to be backwards-compatible" and that became an unhealthy design flaw that plagued the system.

... And then your vital-striker picks up a 10d gun.
>>
>>55339591
Ayep. I'd like to see the game they could have made if they'd been completely free to make a sci-fi RPG and not stuck to "Pathfinder in space". But then, "Pathfinder in space" is what got people to pay attention to the game and if you can't sell a game then you can't have competent designers spend months on making it halfway decent.
>>
>>55339591
>... And then your vital-striker picks up a 10d gun.
Come on, don't low-ball things here. If you really want to go for Vital Strike imported into Starfinder, you grab a Doshko and hit a cap of 52d12 with a level 19 weapon. Sure, it's unwieldy, but you can't full-attack with Vital Strike anyway.
>>
>>55338510
Converting a whole PF party is a bit tricky and probably more work than it's worth. I'll try and break this down into categories.

Race and Ability Scores:
>The rules give statistics for the core races, so if your party is only composed of the core races you're good to go. If you have any non-core, you'll have to either wait for an official conversion or just make it up yourself.
>The way ability scores are bought at 1st level and increased in later levels is changed, so your characters will have weaker ability scores than expected. If the party is still first level or not yet fifth level, you can probably get by with the original stats.

Classes and Feats:
>The rules for class conversions are less rules and more suggestions.
>Generally speaking, it's better to just give the characters a related SF class instead of trying to convert a PF class. For instance, Fighters should become Soldiers, Rogues become Operatives, arcane casters become Technomancers, divine casters become Mystics, and so on. There are some odd men out, such as Monks (because unarmed is shit), so if there are any classes you want to convert you should prioritize those.
>The feat selection is pretty different, and you may find that some older feats are either redundant (Deadly Aim and Power Attack are now the same thing) or overpowered (Vital Strike). You're probably going to want to have the party pick new feats instead of keeping the old ones.

Gear:
>Gold is 1:1 to credits, and I believe the expected wealth progression is the same, so the party's wealth will be on par.
>Older armor and weapons are considered archaic and less effective.
>Converting other existing equipment will be difficult; though they give rules for converting bonuses they obviously didn't go through and convert every special feature that each one has.
>Your best bet is probably to just liquidate the party's assets into credits and have them buy new stuff.
>>
>>55339480

Thanks for the answer. Power went out at my place otherwise I would have gotten back to you sooner.

Ship is indeed a medium that the PC's start in, so I'll keep that in mind.

I'll probably make them able to choose between powering their ship or abilities at the start of the day then. Seems to be the most balanced way of doing it.
>>
Is Starfinder the 40k of DnD? Sounds cool. Are there dudes I can paint after I water down my paints and use my wet palette too?
>>
>>55340656
>Ship is indeed a medium
Medium ships feel like the system's "objectively correct" ship size for PCs. The maximum crew size is one RPG party's worth. The ship is big enough to have a secondary power core. The ship is small enough to have the fastest drive. Other than being limited to light weapons (unless you pick a transport), there's not much that the PCs can't do with a Medium ship.
>>
>>55340858
You can both add and upgrade weapon mounts, so the Explorer can be decked out with heavy weapons too. It will just cost a little bit more in the long run.
>>
>>55340716
Not sure if you are memeing but no, just another PnP TTRPG.
>>
>>55340938
So they can. p305, I didn't spot that first time through the chapter.

In that case, there really isn't anything a Medium ship can't do other than mount a Capital-class weapon or have its own fighter bay.

What's your preference, Explorer or Transport?
>>
File: MM3_Mega_Man_and_Rush.png (293KB, 771x1016px) Image search: [Google]
MM3_Mega_Man_and_Rush.png
293KB, 771x1016px
Stat us, /pfg/. I'm thinking android mechanic.
>>
File: MMSuperMegaMan.png (173KB, 527x441px) Image search: [Google]
MMSuperMegaMan.png
173KB, 527x441px
>>55341149
Rush can even turn into an armor thing like a mechanic drone.
>>
File: cha siu bao.jpg (44KB, 417x319px) Image search: [Google]
cha siu bao.jpg
44KB, 417x319px
>>55341149
>>55341188

Congratulations, anon, you are correct. Have this picture of pork buns to celebrate.
>>
File: Muh Ship.png (15KB, 314x340px) Image search: [Google]
Muh Ship.png
15KB, 314x340px
>>55341105

I'll have to put it on a Starship sheet to look correct, but this was my first draft.

I haven't done any of this before, so it was mostly guesswork, but it seems alright.
>>
>>55341306
>not doing turret
>>
>>55341105
My first choice is Transport for that extra expansion bay, but if that's a lower priority I can see going Explorer for the maneuverability. A little more fragile, but they're both fragile compared to everything bigger than them.

The only real drawback to medium is that they're the smallest things that capital weapons can target, and capital weapons are nasty when they hit. If your shields are evenly distributed, all but the very weakest capital weapons will punch through even the 600 SP shields in two shots on average, and then do the same to your hull. And since a capital ship can have four capital weapons in an arc, that's extremely dangerous. Medium frames can do a lot of things, but comfortably taking on capital ships isn't one of them.
>>
>>55341349

I completely missed that. Probably best to put the Missile Launcher on there then.

Then Lasers for Port, Forward, and Starboard.
>>
>>55340858
Large with hanger for tinier ships could work for bebopping.
Also good if you have a large group that don't make every session
>>
>>55341597

The campaign I'm planning on running is going to be based on FTL (for the most part), so multiple ships for the party will be unlikely. (Possible though)

I'm planning it for December, so I have a while to figure things out. Since most of my party are in the military, they'll all take leave for the holiday and we'll get in a few weeks of solid gameplay in.
>>
>>55326062
https://youtu.be/V4tSXOLPf_4

Android technomancer who tools around in a Hawaiian shirt (but seriously, what's the Golarion equivalent of Hawaii) and talks himself up obnoxiously.

Likes to play tunes very loudly when flying the ship.
>>
>>55341432
Two linked light torpedo launchers will cost 6, eat 10 instead of 15 PCU, and do more damage with better base range/accuracy than three light lasers.

It'll help save for the turret installation
>>
>>55341597
Hangar minimum is Gargantuan.
Shuttle bay minimum is Huge.
>>
>>55341668
>1000ft aircraft carrier holds 50-odd 20-30 ton fighters
>a 2000ft ship can't

sausage, paizuri
>>
>>55341668
Adding to the houserules
>>
Rick Sanchez: would he be a technomancer or a mechanic?
>>
>>55341805
1092 foot aircraft carrier can hold 80+ fighters.
15000+ ft dreadnought can hold 40 max.
>>
>>55341916
I do science not magic
>>
>>55341652

Multiple Missile Launchers is a valid option, but I'd like the party to get acquainted with the different varieties of weapons they have at their disposal, even if not optimal at first.

Power likely won't be a concern, since they have double digit amount to spare right now for one, and second they'll have a Zoltan early in the campaign (Who, like in their FTL counterpart) will grant systems they are involved with power.

It's going to be a level 1 to at least lvl 15 campaign, (Flagship fight) , So they'll have plenty of chances to upgrade it as they go along.
>>
>>55341956
And can't have a medlab, any room for cargo or passengers, any escape pods or workshop or anything else if it does so.
>>
>>55341987
once codified and standardized the way it has been even in fucking greyhawk, thaumaturgy IS science
>>
>>55342200
Except that working magic in most of those systems requires force of will, the formulas depend on the person using them.
That's different from science.
There could be a sciencetific understanding of magic, but that isn't the same as magic being science
>>
>>55342441
If a given amount of will is used with the correct formula and sequences, a specific effect results.
>>
>>55341916

He'd be the equivalent of an Alchemist in pathfinder: With Formula as the equivalent of doing casty things.

Unfortunately there are no formulae in Starfinder as of current.
>>
>>55342756
Thus it can be scientifically studied, but it's application is use is not a science, or even a technology.
We understand the science of sound, but that does not make music science
>>
This is unrelated to anything I've mentioned previously, but Gestalt Characters can still be made in Starfinder, Correct?

There are some NPC's that come to mind from FTL (The AI engi in Particular) that'll need a lil more to stand out.
>>
>>55344058
There's nothing so different that you couldn't just apply the same rules as always.
>>
File: village idiot.jpg (72KB, 614x370px) Image search: [Google]
village idiot.jpg
72KB, 614x370px
>>55343876
So you're saying that magic can be systematically studied, with its structures and behaviors codified and recorded...
But that this study is not a science?

Too many chromosomes in your makeup there
>>
>>55344391
Because all forms of magic rely on you putting in some unquantifiable spirit energy/will/desire and that isn't sciencable.

To put it another way, if you have to feel it in your bones to breathe fire or cast a spell or change the weather, it's not science. I'd lump in with Alchemy, or sufficiently studied magic, but it doesn't get access to the science club
>>
>>55346200
You have to define what is and isn't science and what is and isn't magic.

Otherwise you're just saying things.
>>
>>55340589
>There are some odd men out, such as Monks
Just a different way to look at the Solarian.
>>
What's the deal with the solarian? Are they like space paladins? What does their solar stuff do?
>>
>>55340716
>Is Starfinder the 40k of DnD?
As in what 40k is to WF? It wants to be, but isn't.

One of the ad lines before release was "will do for Pulp SF what D&D did for fantasy", disingenuously asserting that it has not been done up to now. Which is complete bull.
>>
>>55346385
While most have some sort of long term goals, the individuals are sort of low-rent Lanterns.
>>
>>55344391
Practice not study.
Accustic science is a thing. It's not the same as music.

Nor is it the same as the appreciation of music, because personal perception is part of it.

Science requires observation and replication outside of the subjective reality.
When thing in question requires subjective perception or the application of one's subjective person reality (ie person will) the scientific method can only be applied remotely and imperfectly.
>>
File: IMG_0007.png (171KB, 470x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0007.png
171KB, 470x800px
I need help. I don't know how to make a real fun space adventure.

I'm thinking of my own campaigns I've run and I don't think I've ever really let go and made something cool. How do I make a good space Battle with Science Fantasy to rock their socks off?
>>
>>55347242

Three-eyed weeb amphibian waifus is as good a place to start as any, anon.
>>
>>55347242
try doing it kinda ftl-ish

Theyre a shmucky group of level 1's who just so happened to be caught way deep in enemy territory with a vital piece of information that the federation -absolutely- has to have, and you have to rush your way back to safey, avoiding rebel scum trying to get that information from you
>>
>>55347280
It's not often that 'the rebels' are the bad guys. Maybe I'll play some FTL. It's been a while.
>>
>>55347364
yeah, it was a nice change of pace.

You were still a scrappy underdog against an overwhelming horde, but not everyone has to copy star wars.
>>
>>55347242
Mega-dungeon! Have them crash into an abandoned space station infested with demons that they'll have to fight their way out! You could have multiple factions of demonic invaders, some more easily talked to and others that resemble The Thing esque monstrosities
>>
File: hylotl.png (231KB, 676x657px) Image search: [Google]
hylotl.png
231KB, 676x657px
>>55347242
well, my fellow fish tits anon,
goto planet
find cute fishtits
oh no! the fishtits are in trouble!
help the fish tits
dangerous mission
solve problem
goback to fishtits village
recieve fishtits
blast off into space
>>
>>55347383
Not just a scrappy underdog, but a scrappy underdog who still has a Big McLargeHuge allied fleet, the trick is just GETTING to them.

And then you have to go fight the flagship yourself because they have to go do fight things in the background.
>>
>>55347413
Don't forget discovering fishtits hiding in the cargo hold
Then go on adventures with fishtits
>>
should I just cut out starship combat completely until shit gets sorted out?
>>
>>55347533
Yeah, but steal from 4e and throw in a few Skill Challenges and technobabble

>Flux Capacitor is out of whack!
>The nadion thrust assembly is offline!
>You need to align the dorsal osmotic warp feed!
Toss in various forms of 'wat do?' at then end of those sentences and you'll be golden
>>
>>55347601

http://www.scifiideas.com/technobabble-generator/
>>
>>55347364
All semantics. When rebels are the bad guys we call them something else.
>>
>>55347682
That guy is making the point that the bad guys in FTL are in fact called Rebels. Despite the fact that they have a superweapon on its way to destroy your base and you're the only one with the information required to destroy it, they're still both Rebels and bad guys.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rebellion

You can also fight an incomplete second version of that superweapon. The Star Wars similarities don't apply to your faction, though. Rather than being an Empire, you're playing a Federation, and you welcome aliens rather than being exclusively human. That's about the extent of the degree to which there's a difference between the two factions discussed in-game.
>>
File: 1484585839135.png (511KB, 1474x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1484585839135.png
511KB, 1474x1000px
>>55347439
>Don't forget discovering fishtits hiding in the cargo hold
>Then go on adventures with fishtits
that'd be a fun.
fishtits princess runs away from everything to start new life
family tries to get fishtits back by any means nessesary
evade
fight
escape
run
ship crash lands on uncharted planet
explore with fishtits
build house with fishtits
>>
File: IMG_0177.png (1MB, 700x1150px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0177.png
1MB, 700x1150px
>>55347792
>>55347413
>>55347407
>>55347265
You guys seem like you're on to something here
>>
File: 1477051199366.jpg (99KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477051199366.jpg
99KB, 600x800px
>>55347809
fishtits are great adventure buddies.
>>
>>55347838
Well now it seems like a missed marketing opportunity to not have a fish race that's basically an Undyne race, in the same way that all Dwarfs are Gimli. Maybe for the alien archive.
>>
>>55347901
>we could have had fishtits but instead we have rats bugs and lizards
>>
Remember when Starfinder had shit that was worth talking about?
Those were good times.
>>
>>55348638
How's this shit been out nearly a month and we don't even have errata on it?
>>
>>55347533
Just use fixed DCs like every other RPG on the planet. Scaling target numbers has never once worked, the just used it in Starfinder because the 3.pf skill system is objectively retarded thanks to the ridiculous bonuses on every roll. DC 15 for about the same tier of ship, bump it up a little for going against higher tier ships.

I who really gives a shit is a +15 piloting check is enough and your pilot gets there quickly? Maybe your characters can have a little deeper dimension to them then.
>>
>>55349852

The DC for stuff really should have been based on the CR of the encounter, not your own ship. So it gets harder to do fancy manuvers when a huge battleship or multiple squadrons of fighters are bearing down on you.
>>
Hey teeg hoping you can help. I'm gonna give the players the possibility of buying up a bunch of space puppies and having them grow up to be kickass alien war Hounds. Any idea how to stat them? Also is there a resource for random gen loot/magic items and sci fi grid maps you could point me too?
>>
>>55350148

sfrpgtools.com has a random weapon generator for starfinder, but it's only for player items.

Might be of use, but not quite what you're looking for.
>>
How do I make a combat effective Operative?
>>
>>55350881
Make it a ghost with a pistol. your trick attack damage will do the work for you after that. Be the gunslinger.
>>
>>55350881
Roll an Operative. That's it.
>>
>>55350881

Have a Pistol.

Done. The Operative gets basically all it's power baked in, at the cost of not really having many options.
>>
>>55350925
>>55350899
>>55350893
Okay, so pistol and ghost. What are some of themore useful feat chains? Weapon focus? Since I won't be using many other weapon types and attack bonuses seem hard to get, right? Anything else?
>>
>>55349982
Yeah using fixed target numbers is the solution, then the only problem is a 3.5 one - the modifiers for skills are broken as shit. This was one of the most basic things 5e fixed in the game that works well at the sacrifice of customization.

One of my basic houserules for Pathfinder was adding saves to skills, removing all ability score modifiers from skills, bumping skill points (scales reverse to spell casting - martial 6, 1/2 cast 4, full caster 2; roguish classes get +2), and capping the ranks to 1/2 level. Suddenly the range goes from 8-33 to 4-13 and characters are broader and capable of multiple things. It requires adjusting DCs, but in general it's cutting the DC in half.
>>
>>55350963
That's it. Go wild with everything else; pick up what feats you like and need to get bonuses to attack and damage and the rest can be dumped into whatever strikes your fancy at the time.

Operative has the majority of what makes it super-effective in combat baked directly into its class features.
>>
>>55350963

Weapon Focus is about all you'll need yeah. From there? Buy whatever you want (Unless it's longarms. You can't use them).

Operative has an incredibly high optimization floor (At the cost of basically being already at the ceiling)
>>
>>55350992
>>55351004
One last question, is starting dex 16 okay, or should I instead shoot for 18+ as a human?
>>
>>55351205
16 should be fine; you also want reasonably high mental stats so that you have an easier time with the skillmonkeying, since that's what Operative is best at.
>>
>>55349982
That's dumb. You're LESS capable of putting your own ship in reverse because halfway across the map there's an enemy dreadnought? Hitting the balance-shield-energy button became significantly more difficult though you're not even being shot at?

Additionally it would mean the DCs don't change at all from what they are, since the whole fucking problem to begin with is that they scaled it off level. If you're level 16, you're looking at CR 16, 17 or even 18 encounters, so they'd be even worse than they already are.
>>
File: Stupendous bird gif 2.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Stupendous bird gif 2.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>55351211
Was basically thinking 16 starting dex (14+2), 12 con, 14 cha since everyone else has cha 10-12, and we have a mystic and an engineer for int based shit.
>>
File: Success.png (86KB, 367x408px) Image search: [Google]
Success.png
86KB, 367x408px
>>55351244
looks reasonable to me, and it means you'll get a +2 on every stat you go for when you hit level 5. Just make certain to pick up the appropriate face skills.
>>
How do I charisma tank?
>>
>>55351205

That's fine. The Operative works off single attacks, not full attacks and gets a passive +2 because they flat foot the other guy before they hit.
>>
dumping my robots
>>
File: unlucky_13.jpg (197KB, 1600x761px) Image search: [Google]
unlucky_13.jpg
197KB, 1600x761px
What sort of things are you guys looking forward to in upcoming books? I'm most looking forward to whatever mech rules they put out - The power armor system shows that thy already have an excellent basis for said rules, since power armor is only three or four rules short of already being mechs.
>>
>>55351472
>>
>>55351490
>>
File: cqb_by_sttheo-d4opu7e.jpg (102KB, 785x1017px) Image search: [Google]
cqb_by_sttheo-d4opu7e.jpg
102KB, 785x1017px
>>55351490
That appears to be power armor rather than a robot, Anon.
>>
File: 1456705252839.jpg (179KB, 717x625px) Image search: [Google]
1456705252839.jpg
179KB, 717x625px
>>55351506
Maybe. Could reasonably say it's a bulky android, too.
>>
>>55351539
>>
File: Happy Killbot.jpg (156KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Happy Killbot.jpg
156KB, 1024x1024px
>>55351617
>>
>>55351502
>this is what cops nowadays have wet-dreams of getting to do to populations
>>
>>55352565
Yeah, I don't get why that "police officer" is geared up for a warzone, part of me thinks at the very least it should have a bubble helmet or some sort of visor that allows the head and facial features to be prominently displayed.

Because, you know, keeping the peace often entails seeing the peace keepers as human beings.
>>
File: german-gsg-9-special-unit.jpg (111KB, 920x517px) Image search: [Google]
german-gsg-9-special-unit.jpg
111KB, 920x517px
>>55352588

Well, there comes a time now and again where the police care less about "building a rapport and human connection between peace officer and civilian" than "saving the motherfucking day".
>>
>>55352796
>saving the day
kek
>>
>>55352588
Limited vision helps reduce the incidence of conscience when firing into the crowd for the few that have yet to be weeded out by training.

Why they no longer look like they did in the 50s and why they act the way they do are a bit of a vicious cycle nowadays. The few good, honest cops that remain get caught between protecting their coworkers versus <insert what every "rat cop" like Serpico has gotten over the years>, and believing what they're told about a place versus NOT executing a sleeping 7 year old girl at point-blank. And snitches, as we've seen, find themselves getting shot at with no backup.
>>
>>55352796
You mean like when they go siege the wrong house and gun down one or two innocents for what was supposedly just serving a search warrant?
>>
>>55349021
Errata takes time to collect, figure out which parts of an errata group are the mistakes and which parts are correct but enablers, and develop fixes for.

Typos are easy. Design flaws take longer to fix.
>>
>>55351229
I plan on having a bidding system.
You can bid up to the ship tier to get a bonus on the roll to go last.
For every point you bid, you add 2 to the DC for any manuever. So manuevers get harder the more you are trying to surprise or respond to your opponent.
Base DC is the listed level 1 DC.
>>
>>55351322
They can also get a lot of attacks in the situation where there is a low AC high HP big guy
>>
>>55346597
>>55346239

But, i mean, Technomagic requires intelligence, which codifies mostly a mix of memory, logic and deduction. Meanwhile, force of will - which is codified by charisma - is not used there.
So i would argue that Rick Sanchez could be a technomancer.
>>
How the fuck are you supposed to use any of the maps in the Absolom Station book? They're all huge and detailed so printing them yourself is nearly impossible, and getting them to a print shop for a decent job costs 30+ dollars per map for something you'll use once, maybe if.

How do you use the maps for your games? Is there a decent way or should I just forget about trying to make it look good?
>>
HAIL THE EMPRESS!!
HAIL THE EMPIRE!!!
AZLANTI VICTOR!!
>>
This general is dying a slow and painful death with no new content and the shit release schedule. Should we just let this one die and fold starfinder discussion back into /pfg/?
>>
>>55354428
I think both /pfg/ and /sfg/ are too slow to support themselves separately. Maybe when there's more starfinder to talk about, but not now at least.
>>
Constructed

For effects targeting creatures by type, androids count as both humanoids and constructs (whichever effect is worse). They receive a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep, unless those effects specifically target constructs. In addition, androids do not breathe or suffer the normal environmental effects of being in a vacuum.

So by RAW, Androids cannot benefit from almost anything in the game?
>>
>>55346239

Science is a field of study based on repeated observation in the expectation that the universe acts in predictable ways. Wizardry can be a science, as wizardly spells are cast and researched through repetition and act the same regardless of caster, but magic as a whole cannot.

Magic as a whole does not work in predictable ways that can be studied through observation.

There's casters like Clerics where all you need to do is petition your god and shit happens, and how you petition your god varies from god to god.

Then there's innate casters who create their magical effects through different, gut feel based ways that vary from individual to individual.

There's also the fact that magic in and of itself works by breaking scientific laws, such as gravity, the square-cube law, and conversation of mass, essentially invalidating science as a whole.
>>
>>55354266

The artist released the full res versions online.

http://damie_m.artstation.com/projects/1gx0Z
>>
>>55355036
>essentially invalidating science as a whole.
Not really. It just means you have to adjust the model to account for another layer of laws and principles that situationally apply in addition to the normal ones. The rest of your points basically boil down to not having good tools, not being impossible.

Casters who petition for power? Sure, pinning that down scientifically would be pretty hard! You'd have to get a whole new tool set to study gods and divinity to see the underlying patterns, to say nothing of actually getting divinities to cooperate. Innate casters? Well, people are weird and different, so of course they way they tap into things get weird and different too. That doesn't mean there's no consistency, on some level.

Magic is probably a chaotic system; tiny, tiny changes in initial conditions will make for some huge differences, leading to the diversity of not just things like innate caster classes, but the variation possible within those classes. But even if fully mapping out a chaotic system of that scope is functionally impossible, that's a limitation on execution. In principle, nothing about magic is beyond the reach of a scientific approach.

Unless a setting explicitly dictates that yes, magic actually does say "fuck you" and do what it wants, conditions be damned.
>>
>>55354916
Yeah, the phrasing on
>whichever effect is worse
leaves a lot to be desired.

The core races are too conservative. I really don't understand why they've held back the more interesting concepts for the alien archive, because the only reason "androids" are called that is because they knew people would want to play robots and yet decided not to put them in the core book.

I see people put forward the idea that it's about getting the game ready to sell at GenCon, but Paizo doesn't seem like it's hurting for cash. More development time leading to a better first impression seems like an objectively better long-term marketing strategy for anyone who can afford to do it, so did Paizo disagree or could they not afford to keep the book in development for the extra few months?
>>
>>55355417
>could they not afford to keep the book in development for the extra few months?
I didn't really pay any attention to Starfinder until right about when it actually released, but my impression is Paizo had its hype machine going pretty hard since they announced the game existed. All else being equal, yeah, basically anyone should agree that releasing a good, refined product is better. But they may have thought it was better to release and patch than to build all the hype and then fail to deliver when they said they would. Just googling it, it looks like they announced it would release at GenCon in May, so they probably thought they could pull it together a bit more than they did by then.

But I don't really know how the industry actually works here, so that's just a guess.
>>
New thread

>>55355813
>>55355813
>>55355813
>>55355813
>>55355813
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.