[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 416
Thread images: 40

File: plot twist cards.jpg (1MB, 1500x2092px) Image search: [Google]
plot twist cards.jpg
1MB, 1500x2092px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55265802

Thread gonna die edition.
>>
>>55269141
No he doesn't and no he isn't, have you even watched his videos, you autistic reject? He acts like a smug piece of shit who thinks he's better than everyone else and whiteroom theorycrafting videos are useless.

What the fuck do you mean people need to grow up? He harassed a bunch of YouTubers and drove some off YouTube then feigned ignorance, and blamed it on others when he was caught, that's not something to be easily forgiven. He also gets extremely buttblasted when other groups are popular, he reviewed DCA and Critical Role by saying the DMing isn't what he would do which meant it was bad, and he had a bizarre and creepy one sided interview with Matt Mercer.

Cry more and act more buttblasted, retard. Don't be That Guy.
>>
>>55276083
>reviving a dead argument from a dying thread in a new thread
Kys cunt
>>
We'll get Tortles tomorrow, right? How do you think their racial bonus will be? I bet +2 con and +1 wis with natural AC like Lizardfolk
>>
>>55269523
According to your logic, that should exactly be how it works.

You're simply not understanding it, and the other anons have given great responses to your continued ignorance.
Force of personality and conviction can produce divine energy and magical effects, see the paladin, the storm herald barbarian, the sorcerer.

You need to wrap your head around the fact that paladins do not need to be and are not direct servants of gods, and the energies they tap into are generated through themselves, their force of personality and their convictions and ideals alone. Why is this concept so difficult for you, you understand the game you're playing, right?
>>
>>55276048
Also, going to give a super quick context of this (from memory): Saved this from an older thread where an anon was talking about how in their game, the players each got to draw one card from this deck. The DM got the rest (with one or two discarded?). They were forbidden from telling each other what cards they had drawn, or what the effects were - but anyone was allowed to play these plot twist cards during the game .. But only one could be played per session (with exception of canceling plot twists).

Or something like that. Anyways, seemed like a kind of neat idea to me. Makes me kind of curious: Has anyone ever done something like this before?
>>
>>55276179
Tomorrow? Why tomorrow? Its part of ToA, is it not? That's not due out for a bit. Even more so if its part of Xanathars, and if its part of UA its not going to come out until Monday.

>>55276192
>>55276083
Dead arguments guys. Just leave it.
>>
>>55276203
Yeah a Deck of Many Things
>>
File: 1394184461978.jpg (2MB, 2270x1574px) Image search: [Google]
1394184461978.jpg
2MB, 2270x1574px
>>55275963
>>55275919
So champion 3/barb 2/rogue x would be viable, but not nearly as durable as barb 17/champion 3. Also the ASI/extra attack delay would be rough on either. Would it be worthwhile to go 4 or 5 into champion, or do you think that delays other features too much?
>>
>Got bored and read through the sex in DnD guide
>Goliath and Dwarfs incompatible
Well fuck you too buddy
>>
>>55276130
That Guy is being a complete douche and also willfully rewrote what actually happened, you severe autist.

>>55276231
Not a dead argument, it's also an interesting argument even though that anon is ignorant.
>>
>>55276306
Just stop
>>
>>55276257
I would personally recommend raising the Barbarian over raising the champion levels. I've not looked into three way MC abilities like that, but I would pretty much end up recommending going Barb/rogue, or Barb/champ. You're likely to be giving up too much elsewise, but I'll let someone else do the crunch on that.

But stopping short of 3 means you don't get barbarian subclass benefits, which is things like "Take half damage from everything except psychic".
>>
How achieveable is immortality? How much gold would I need to pay for some wizard nerd to stop me dying of old age?
>>
>>55276346
Seconded, check yourself boi
>>
>>55276388
Depends on your DM and what you're willing to do for it
>>
What is a binder warlock like to play? I can't make heads or tails of the class beyond OPTIC BLAST
>>
>>55276346
How about you actually contribute something.
>>
>>55276388
Paladin OotA 15 level feature.
Alternative, but probably more affordable solution would be getting bitten by vampire.
>>
>>55276415
Anything short of soul-selling. Plus that sounds like a terrible deal for the other guy unless they planned on killing you, and if that was the case then what would be the point?
>>
>>55276433
Vampire's the cowards way out but the paladin thing needs looking into, thanks Anon!
>>
>>55276425
Nigga just go outside for five minutes and cool off, you feel me?
>>
>>55276441
I believe druid and monk have something similar, but I've not double checked it. You would be best to talk to your DM though, as it might have more approachable ways in setting for other classes to achieve it.

As for the "terrible deal for the other guy", its super easy to go "the entity is working on different optics/timeframes than you are. You're not going to die of old age, but its not impossible for you to get killed. Letting you linger on past your appointed death makes your soul so much more potent for when it does eventually get you, and it's in no hurry, really." Outside of that: It might just want to kill you, because it doesn't particularly give a shit.
>>
>>55276388
Generally that's what lichdom is for, and usually you have to be really evil to succeed
>>
>>55276481
How about you start contributing something actually relevant, you feel me?
>>
File: strahd tarokka.jpg (806KB, 1317x1699px) Image search: [Google]
strahd tarokka.jpg
806KB, 1317x1699px
>>55276203
>>55276048
OP's implementation kinda sucks. Imagine how fucking disappointing it would be to draw a "cancel" card. Like, the other players are getting free magic items and summoning Drizzt, and I'm just supposed to sit and wait for the DM to do something bad so I can say "nope, undo"?

I'm not completely opposed to the idea. I wonder if it could work well with something more abstract like a Tarot deck or pic related? You could let the player pitch an idea, like "I play The Lovers. I want the merchant to fall in love with me." Or you could just say "play the card, and the DM will come up with an idea." So a player chooses to play The Chariot, and the DM says "you visit the shop, but you see a flurry of action: men moving and packing boxes. The merchant tells you he is preparing a trade caravan to depart for the Eastern towns. He is quite preoccupied, but willing to trade at a very generous rate if you have any goods that are in-demand to the East."
>>
>>55276048
That picture got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool with an RPG where every player was a magician, but rather than having a list of spells, they had a deck of spells? Each encounter they would draw a hand of, say, four or five cards, and each turn they'd be able to play one face down and then reveal them in turn order. Players would be given some form of freedom in customizing their own decks, but what spells they had on hand at the moment would be largely random, which, rather than simulating Vancian magic, would simulate the concept of wizards under huge stress not being able to necessarily think straight.
>>
>>55276507
>Outside of that: it might just want to kill you, because it doesn't particularly give a shit
Nyarlohotep is best Elder God. That said, good points all round! May many blessings impregnate you dear Anon!
>>
>>55276531
>Being this buttblasted :')
>>
>>55276515
Necromancers have all the fun. Qt undead lawful good waifus when?
>>
>>55276582
>Being this buttblasted :')

Do you even play 5e or are you just severely autistic?
>>
Have any PDF copies of ToA appeared online yet?
>>
>>55276582
Not that anon but
>(':
>>
>>55276601
If you were lawful good you'd realize that death is a natural part of life and have nothing to fear when reuniting with your benevolent god
>>
>>55276388
The most certain method is Clone, which costs 3,000gp overall. It's an 8th level spell so you need a pretty high level wizard. It specifies that your clone can be a younger version of yourself, so being repeatedly cloned should keep you indefinitely young (having multiple clones at once isn't ruled out but your DM may disagree).

Another method which should work is Reincarnate, a 5th level druid spell which costs 1,000gp. It would make sense that a human reincarnating as an elf would have his lifespan extended, and your DM may or may not agree that being repeatedly reincarnated would prevent you from growing old (because you receive a new body each time). It's not as clear-cut as Clone, but it's easier to find someone who can cast it.

Most other methods in the book (like the transmuter's stone, or the monk's timeless body feature) specify that you still die of old age, they just keep you physically young or fit. The oath of ancient's undying sentinel feature is ambigious but seems to imply you still age, you just don't suffer the drawbacks of aging. Whether that includes death is up to your DM.
>>
>>55276420
Anyone played one of these?
>>
>>55276693
You posted ~18 minutes ago be patient we're busy with important matters!
>>
>>55276569
So magic the gathering, vaguely.
>>
>>55276664
Found the paladin
>>
>>55276671
Wtf how are these options so cheap? I'm halfway to being able to afford a clone already!
>>
>>55276734
Or pretty much anyone heading into upper planes for their afterlife.
>>
>>55276734
you're not wrong, I do like me some devotion paladin
>>
>>55276767
It's cheap but how many 8th level wizards that can cast clone are there running around?
>>
>>55276734
Nah you found the Paladin with a stick up his ass, I'd be willing g to give some undead qt a good hot dicking to bring her back into the light
>>
>>55276818
Just get a girlfriend.
>>
So fa/tg/uys how many of you are getting Almiraj (unicorn bunny) familiar?
>>
>>55276996
Nani?
>>
>>55276996
¿Qué?
>>
File: 12312312313213321.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
12312312313213321.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>55276936
>Implying I don't have one
She can't fill ever fetish my friend despite her best efforts.
>>
>>55277048
Why did I think you were talking about
>>55276996
>>
>>55277032
>>55277008
It's going to fuck your shit up.
>>
File: 1502344180271.png (13KB, 555x407px) Image search: [Google]
1502344180271.png
13KB, 555x407px
>>55277065
I dunno
>>
>>55277065
Because he should have been
>>
>>55277107
The most exotic thing I'll ever have a familiar is a Tressym, now good day sir
>>
>>55277157
It's the bunny unicorn thing coming out in Tomb of Anihilation

It's called an Almiraj and supposedly you'll be able to just buy them at Chult
>>
How do you make PotA better? I've only skimmed over the book, but many rate it as not so great.

The dungeons seem fine for the most part, but the area is pretty small in scale and the beginning probably won't hook the players very much from what I can see.
>>
>>55277184
Are they immune to poison
I didn't think so
Who else would test my Wizard Noble's food
>>
>>55276179
It's supposed to be a tie-in for their Extra Life thing since proceeds from the DM's Guild Tortles package go towards Extra Life; so it could really be any time from tomorrow to November 4th.
>>
File: treasure_nest.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
treasure_nest.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
What is wrong with me??
>browsing at local game store
>see "treasure nest" dice bag for 10 dollars
>the name suddenly fills me with this creepy maternal feeling
>only ever get it for "cute" objects
>the name "treasure nest" suddenly seems cute to me
>want it
>but it's 10 dollars for a simple dice bag
>feel this protective urge to "adopt" it
>feel this sort of thing a lot
>sometimes have bought small stuffed animals or figurines almost out of pity for them
>feel anger and frustration at myself for not liking them
>get mad at myself for leaving these things behind
I didn't buy it, and it doesn't really bug me, but next time I see it I know I will feel this stupid pang of guilt and rationalize needing a new dice bag. Shit I can already feel it since my current one is just a pouch and is getting kinda full. But even though there are cheaper ones I will probably buy that one for its name, even though "Treasure Nest" isn't even printed on the bag so I'll probably do some gay shit like leave it in the packaging then feel guilt for not using it.

Sorry I know I posted this before.
>>
>>55277184
I read this as 'busty unicorn thing coming out in Tomb..."
The fuck is wrong with me.
>>
>>55277216
I'm a shitty person, I'm just downloading the PDF if it gets online
>>
>>55277253
Why the fuck are you posting this again
You aren't even asking anything that wasn't answered last time so there's nothing to even say
>>
File: AC4U2.jpg (98KB, 462x462px) Image search: [Google]
AC4U2.jpg
98KB, 462x462px
>>55277277

My first guess is "a lot", anon.
>>
>>55277291
You're correct that there's a lot wrong with me.
But I detest horse-people-things.
>>
>>55277253
Go see a therapist anon, it couldn't hurt
>>
does /tg/ have a dnd group?
>>
>>55277425
well I would assume since most of us play D&D we would have groups
>>
>>55277425
I'm pretty sure based on people's responses in these threads that not everyone has a group or have people willing to play with them or any friends.
>>
>>55277290
I want to know what mental issue I have, and how to fix it.

>>55277363
I don't have any money....

>>55277425
>does /tg/ have a dnd group?
I have three. One I play in, two I DM for.
>>
>>55277524
>I don't have any money....
Well than you're fucked, have a good time with your Treasure Nest
>>
>>55277524
>I want to know what mental issue I have, and how to fix it.
Ask a therapist, not 4chan

>I don't have any money
Then wait until you have the money to see a therapist
>>
>>55277570
I'm just trying to understand. I need to stop having a weakness for small cute things and feeling guilt for not indulging them.
>>
>>55277783
NYPT
>>
I've only played in one 5e campaign as an Arcane Trickster.

What class should I try out next?
>>
>>55277425
I play Deathwatch on Saturday, run Delta Green on Sundays, run D&D 5e on Wednesdays for newbies at my office I'm teaching how to play. I hapzardly fill my other days with a West Marches 5e game I run.

Feels pretty good man.
>>
Is SCAG a must buy, or would just buying the Player's Guide be fine if I'm going to be playing the game and not DMing?

Should I preorder Xanathar's Guide to Everything while I'm at it, because it's only 30 on Amazon?
>>
>>55277891
Barbarian
>>
>>55277891
Druid
>>
What do I do if one of the other players in my group whined so much about his 4d6 drop stat rolls that another player swapped stat blocks with him to make him stop complaining?
>>
>>55277980
You don't roll for stats
>>
>>55277915
SCAG has very particular classes that you will almost never use and backgrounds that slightly adjust the ones in the PH. You can get a PDF OF SCAG in the mega above and judge for yourself.

Xanathar's seems to have a bit more range and use, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're just starting out
>>
>>55277915
If all you're doing is playing get the Player's Handbook and any splats that have rules, classes, or races you actually want to play.
>>
>>55277980
Kill off every other PC, have them all roll new characters with 5d6 drop lowest two see if he still whines.
>>
Tomb of Annihilation comes out early on Roll20 tonight. Is anyone here going to grab it? Will you post details/maps/etc?
>>
>>55276192
Look, this is the second time you demonstrate that you do not understand the difference I'm trying to emphasize. Everyone else gets it. Last thread two guys had explanations that are pretty close to how I see this matter. >>55268386 and >>55269869
I do not agree about the 'conviction network' since I think gods serve well enough for that purpose. But that's okay. It doesn't have a god in particular and it could also be that several divine beings share the labor so to speak.

>Force of personality and conviction can produce divine energy and magical effects, see the paladin, the storm herald barbarian, the sorcerer.
Clearly, no. In all cases.
>Barbarians who follow the Path of the Storm Herald learn instead to transform their rage into a mantle of primal magic that swirls around them. When in a fury, a barbarian of this path taps into nature to create powerful, magical effects. Storm heralds are typically elite champions who train alongside druids, rangers, and others sworn to protect the natural realm.
Barbarians use their emotions to shape magic they receive from nature. The source is nature, not their emotions.

>Sometimes the spark of magic that fuels a sorcerer comes from a divine source that glimmers within the soul. Having such a favored soul, your innate magic might come from a distant but powerful familial connection to a divine being.
It clearly states where the magic comes from and it's not 'force of personality and conviction'.

And the paladins are the ones we were arguing about. To me it's clear that 'conviction' doesn't produce divine energy. Paladins make themselves compatible and receptive to energies from divine beings who seem to love showering them with those or to nature itself. This is my understanding based on the source material. I know you do not agree with that. I'm grateful to the input of the other participants. Unless you have anything new to say, we're probably done.
>>
>>55277980
You use the standard array
>>
>>55277980

Use the standard array oh my god
>>
>>55276048
I'm planning on doing a session ripping off Attack on Titan soon. Are there any mechanics for targeting specific body parts of giants in 5e? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I haven't GM'ed D&D in a long while.
>>
>>55278062
Rolling a d20 to hit?
>>
File: 1485316840773.jpg (179KB, 736x680px) Image search: [Google]
1485316840773.jpg
179KB, 736x680px
>New DM finally takes off the training wheels for our newer players.
>A 3 hour combat session starts.
>Also FIREBALLS.
>Somehow nobody important dies.
>Big bad escapes.
>My Bless literally saves the kings life.
>A random enemy wizard manages to become an important and named character through the players sheer hatred for his fireballs.
>Both sides retreat.

That was some good shit.
I have a question, if someone was dragging something (so their speed is down to 5 ft) but then 3 others assisted and turned it into a lift, how would that affect their speed? They're lifting a large sabre-tooth style creature.
>>
>>55276048
Are those all the plot twists? Where do they come from? Could be an interesting thing to play with.
>>
>>55278062
Does targeting specific area do extra damage or inflict a condition?

>Attack roll at disadvantage
>>
>>55277993
We voted on picking stats.
>>55278045
>>55278046
He rolled better than the standard array though,
just more extreme. His big issue was that he had a 6 in a stat.
>>
>>55278029
Oh God, I want THEM BEASTS
>>
>>55278072
If you're familiar with Attack on Titan, titans can only be killed by cutting them at the base of the neck. I'm looking for a simple mechanic that might reflect that.

For now I was thinking of having that be represented by the players attacking a particular square (since big creatures take multiple squares) if they want to cause that lethal damage.
>>
>>55278117
Exactly, just use standard array. It's helpful
>>
>>55278117
YOU TELL HIM TO SUCK IT UP AND EMBRACE LOW STATS, THAT SHIT IS A GIFT
>>
>>55278112
Basically, the specific are is the only way to cause death. Hits anywhere else will regenerate rather quickly.
>>
>>55278117
>Rolls better than standard.
>Has a single 6.
>Acts like a cunt.

Tell him to eat shit.
Unless you're rolling 4d6 and you HAVE to allocate them in the order you get them and he unfortunately got that 6 in his key stat. Even then, tough fucking shit. Work with it.
>>
>>55278128
Seems like you got it.

Get a huge creature that has various AC depending on which square is getting hit, and the correct square scores crits on an 18 or higher
>>
>>55278128
Make the creature immune to all damage except for that one spot. Make attacking that spot have disadvantage and you only get one attack per turn because the creature swipes you away after the first attempt.
>>
Is Xanathar's going to be basically a required buy?
>>
>>55278062
>I'm planning on doing a session ripping off Attack on Titan soon.
Consider suicide.
>>
>>55278196
>Any of the books
>Required buy
>>
>>55278196
Nothing other than the PH is going to be a required buy

but yes it is
>>
>>55278196
Of course, it has more subclasses than the phb
>>
Best multiclass for Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>55278096
See post early in the thread.
>>55276203
>>
>>55278287
Blade Wizard
>>
>>55278128
Yes, but it was a prime shitpost opertunity
>>
>>55278246
No it doesn't
The PHB has 40, Xanathar's has ~25
>>
>>55278355
Bladesinger?
>>
>>55278170
>>55278188
Those all sound like good ideas. How about this: a hit on any other square will get regenerated at a quick rate (Xd6 counters on any such wounded spot, representing the number of hit dice regenerated per turn). A hit on the neck spot will take a disadvantage to pull off, but results in an automatic critical that removes any regeneration dice (and does not produce one).
>>
>>55278042
You continue to demonstrate continued blathering and ignorance.
For the warlock, as it's written in their entry "Sometimes the relationship between warlock and patron is like that of a cleric and deity", by your flawed logic and selective reading this can be taken to mean divine energy flowing through the warlock. This isn't actually the case.

>>Barbarians who follow the Path of the Storm Herald learn instead to transform their rage into a mantle of primal magic that swirls around them. When in a fury, a barbarian of this path taps into nature to create powerful, magical effects. Storm heralds are typically elite champions who train alongside druids, rangers, and others sworn to protect the natural realm.
>Barbarians use their emotions to shape magic they receive from nature. The source is nature, not their emotions.
And good on you for continuing to be selectively ignorant in your interpretation, it even says they "transform their rage into a mantle of primal magic" but I guess that means that the source is nature and not their emotions, right.

Are you an actual retard to think divine energy can't from the strength of one's oaths and ideals, and doesn't necessarily come from divine beings?
Surely you can realize fey beings and nature spirits aren't divine beings, and surely you can realize that grief and desperation aren't actually divine beings, or does your severe autism and literal retardation preclude you from that?

Your understanding of the source material is flawed because you either don't understand what you're reading or have a weirdly restrictive tunnelled view of looking at it.
>>
>>55278211
I do every day, but certainly not over my particular choice of retarded fantasies.
>>
So what exactly is the best way to Bladelock, or is that not even the best gish-type class?
>>
>>55278042
There's no need to be a little bitch just because you're literally autistic and can't understand what you're reading.
>>
>>55276048
>Alternate trove
Is there a main trove?
>>
>>55278480
the 5etools link should have everything.
>>
>>55278443
>is that not even the best gish-type class?
It's not, this is either just being a bard, being a paladin, or being a paladin/sorcerer.

>So what exactly is the best way to Bladelock
wait for november for the hexblade to properly be published
>>
Do druids have literally any weaknesses at all?
>>
>>55278612
Attention from nature fuckers.
>>
>>55278612
Heterosexuality. They cannot abide it in any way or parcel
>>
>>55278612
By RAW, disintegrate fucks wildshaped druids hard
>>
>>55278612
Anti-magic fields
>>
>>55278622
In common please
>>55278643
Because they are Ghey
>>
>>55278659
not any more than any other class. depending on wild shape you might even have the advantage if you pick it right

>>55278673
just stand like 15 feet away and use a projectile
>>
>>55277253
Make babies anon.
>>
>>55278744
>just stand like 15 feet away and use a projectile
If a druid is being forced to use a ranged weapon then the druid has lost
>>
>>55278821
>implying the druid doesn't love playing darts in his spare time
>>
>>55277891
>>55277949
>>55277961
Barbarian druid
>>
The text should be black so these things arent just a fucking jumble of unreadable shit
>>
>>55278821
Maybe if this wasn't 5E, the system where everyone wants a good dex score, range weapons are all finesse, you can easily get your spells disrupted by getting attacked a couple times and everyone has the exact same attack bonus as everyone else based on class
>>
>>55278893
>not kensei monk/druid for that sweet wild shape martial arts and zen sling throwing
>>
>>55278908
What the fuck are you blathering about?
>>
>>55277425

Nobody here has a group. We just come here to circlejerk metagamed builds and homebrew for this game we never actually get a chance to play
>>
>>55278960
The fucking RED TEXT you CUNT>>55276048
>>55276048
>>55276048
>>
>>55278918
...are you actually saying that a Druid will be effective with a maximum of 1d10+Dex per turn?
Are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>55278986
Are you illiterate, severe retard. They're not difficult to read at all, unless you can't read.

Learn to not be a blathering retard.
>>
>>55278908
>>55278986
Those are incredibly easy to read.
>>
>>55278986
Playing devil's advocate for a moment, if someone's color blind and they want to read that it's actually a bit difficult until you focus on it more.
>>
>>55279009
He's not helpless, which is the point when you're talking about an 8th level spell
>>
>>55279010
>>55279027
It's not my fault you pansy fucks don't have RGY colorblindness
>>
>>55279068
1d10+Dex once per turn IS helpless at the level that you would encounter 8th level spells. Especially since you won't even be able to use a magic weapon either.
>>
>>55279051
Which is a legitimate complaint to make. And all one has to do is go "as someone with color blindness, these things are absolute shit" and no one will bat an eye. Implying that they are insanely fucking hard to read for *everyone* is going to have people laugh at them.

>>55279079
Like this shit here. Oh no, we're such pansies for having proper functioning eyes. Woe is us.
>>
>>55279079
I'm colorblind too and it's still fuckin easy to read
>>
>>55279079
Fuck off to tumblr and bitch about it there
>>
ToA uploaded when
>>
Any fag getting ToA tomorrow gonna PDF it for us leechers?
>>
>>55279444
Every time you whine, it gets delayed a bit longer.
>>
>>55279481
See >>55279485
>>
File: 1498077502946.png (43KB, 540x391px) Image search: [Google]
1498077502946.png
43KB, 540x391px
>>55277425
I DM two

>tfw no one to DM for me
>>
>>55279531
Forever dms ww@
>>
Is eldritch knight fun? I'm currently memeing about with a greatsword and have 2 dedicated casters in my party. is it worth it to take another magic option or should I try something else? He allows knight and samurai from the UAs, too. I'm outta my depth on fighters so i'm not sure whats 'fun'
>>
>>55279444
>>55279481
Jesus christ guys. Just fucking waiting. It will get uploaded when it gets uploaded. If you want to beg for it, offer a reward for people to do it. Otherwise its a waste of posts.

>>55279603
Fun is subjective. I personally love the idea of an 11 battle master / 9 ranger Spear Master / Shield Master dude. Do the mechanics of the EK look fun to you? What do you want out of the class?
>>
>>55279630
Casting and stabbing looks fun but i'm not sure its really worth it to bring a fighter who can cast some relatively weak spells compared to the actual casters, is all. I might try the knight archetype - It doesn't mention what mounts specifically I think so I could end up having memey mounts like giant frogs.
>>
>>55276284
>It's like banging two rocks together.
>>
>>55279659
Do you want to be able to slash and cast spells? Although it starts out weaker being able to cast cantrips along with a weapon attack at 7th, for balance purposes. The EK is quite fun.
>>
>>55276671
>having multiple clones at once isn't ruled out but your DM may disagree
It's not really clear what happens to the extra clones if you make multiple, since you only have one soul, and it makes sense that you'd need to clone the new body in order to transfer the soul from that one when you die again, no?
>>
File: 1415675498225.jpg (55KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1415675498225.jpg
55KB, 500x501px
>party member is a hated son from a family of nobles
>party goes back to his home by circumstance
>saves the town from a giant attack
>lord of the hold is pissed off that the pc was so flashy and thinks he is trying to make a move on his throne
>pc and lord are arguing with each other, lord is surrounded by guards
>during the discussion, 2 other spellcaster pcs both begin casting spells (on the lord)
>guards go apeshit, lord thinks he is being attacked
>guards make many attempts to restrain them and eventually overwhelm the two spellcasters
>meanwhile, outside, the last pc had taken a potion of giant size for the earlier fight and is hanging out in the courtyard with a giant sized chicken
>party continues struggling against the guards
>openly attack and threaten the guards
>guards call for reinforcements
>entirety of dwarf hold guards come to attack them
>load crossbows and tell them to leave
>giant pc makes animal handling check to calm and grab the chicken, rolls a 1
>chicken goes apeshit and plowing over fields and structures
>pcs start attacking
>guards kill the chicken because it is rampaging and release a volley into the giant sized pc
>pcs all continue attacking, eventually the dust settles, they fly away/get dragged out and banned for life, to be attacked on sight
>get pissed off because i killed their chicken and kicked them out of the dwarf hold, even though i didnt make them answer to assault and murder

please assure me i handled this correctly. the party isnt usually like this, but tonight it seemed like they were trying to act invincible.
>>
>>55280299
>party member is the son of a noble family he hates
>party is in the area of his home by circumstance
>giant armies threatening to blow up a large city
>PC uses a Wish to redirect all of the giant armies to the city his noble family is in, without telling the party
>said city is wiped off the map
>>
>>55280371
Well, they are level 6 right now. Regardless, they're not on good terms.
>>
>>55280299
Yeah you did everything right here, you were probably even too merciful
>>
File: Arnold.jpg (5KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
Arnold.jpg
5KB, 217x232px
>>55280371
>PC uses a Wish
>Wish
>in a presumably low to mid tier game
>>
>>55280465
Why would you assume low to mid levels?
Also do Wish scrolls not exist in your games?
>>
>>55280299
Remember, nat 20's and nat 1's have no bearing outside of attack rolls. Outside of that, most people make it as a 1-20 dice roll is basically "how much you perform the way you intend" - so a roll of 20 is you perform in exactly the intended way, while a 1 is you do not perform in the intended way. There's a 5% chance of rolling a 1 on a d20, so if you impose a 'critical fail' on it, make sure it makes narrative sense. As far as I can think the chicken thing is largely fine, but, yeah, do you think the PC has a 5% chance to accidentally send the animal berserk at any point?

Also, why the fuck did the spellcasters start casting at the lord?
>>
>>55280479
>Why would you assume low to mid levels?
Because they got their asses beat by some guards and they were probably playing SKT.

>Also do Wish scrolls not exist in your games?
They do but low to mid level characters sure as fuck don't get them.
>>
Kind of a different question, but does anyone here have any good book recommendations? I wanted to maybe do some kind of espionage campaign so I'm looking for inspiration.
>>
>>55280517
>Because they got their asses beat by some guards

>assuming that was the same group/game
>assuming that was even the same poster
>>
>>55280517
Yes, this was skt @ level 6

>>55280490
The crit fail thing I know, but he was trying to pick up the chicken and stuff him in a sack while there were people yelling and drawing weapons everywhere. I was imagining LoZ cuccos more or less.
>>
>>55280490
Also I have no idea why the hell they started casting spells. The situation was getting heated and I think they really wanted to "win" the argument against the angry lord. The bard cast zone of truth and the warlock cast hex. Either way, most spells are not appropriate to begin waving your staff and chanting in a hostile social situation.
>>
File: AmIRetarded.jpg (49KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
AmIRetarded.jpg
49KB, 665x574px
>>55280549
Nani!? I thought >>55280371 was memeing about what would've been more amusing.
>>
>>55280611
Well, turns out I was fuckin wrong as hell, see >>55280576
Sorry for the confusion
>>
What's the thinking man class?
>>
>>55280647
Wizard
>>
Should I make a Paladin or a Bard?
>>
>>55280647
Barb
>>
>>55280691
truth
>To rage or not to rage
>>
>>55280647
Sorcerer
>>
What's the NEET man class?
>>
>>55280717
>sorcerer
>typical "I never had to study in high school" brat
>thinking man

>>55280725
Sorcerer
>>
>>55280725
Druid
>>
>>55280725
Wizard.
>>
File: 94123.jpg (13KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
94123.jpg
13KB, 240x240px
Ok a few things

1) I hate dawnforged cast, why does it seem like that guy acts like he is a god damn know-it-all, I seen someone say he is smug, and he really does fucking look smug as shit, like just knows everything and you don't know shit, like I legit want to punch his face and I barely even have seen him.

Also, for elemental monk (yeah i know don't take it but i'm curious) what ability modifier is used for your save DC?
>>
Speaking of Sorcerers, and since it had a bunch of posts regarding it, does anybody have any other ideas that make Sorcerers more viable?

Personally I like the idea of adding spells to subclasses like Domains and increasing the amount of spells they receive but in the previous thread there was the idea of expanding the spell list of Sorcerer and doing something with their metamagic? Regarding that I think the capstone for Sorcerers sucks dick; 4 sorcery points per short rest? Why not make that an early feature tied to level, like 'Recover sorcery points tied to your level/3 per short rest." As it is Sorcerers have no short rest mechanic and no ritual casting, which strikes me as weird.
>>
File: LdRrth9[1].png (17KB, 485x114px) Image search: [Google]
LdRrth9[1].png
17KB, 485x114px
>makes character creator
>adds non-SRD content to it
>monetizes it with ads and a Patreon
>starts a $25,000 Kickstarter to develop a mobile app for it
>with plans to monetize non-SRD content at $3 a pop
>gets C&D'd by WotC
>is somehow surprised by this
>says that after hearing people's support he'll make it back to SRD with custom content support
>later announces that Orcpub will continue on by selling modules through DMs Guild
>then in the same Facebook thread says that OOPS he didn't talk to the right person
How is the creator Orcpub such a huge fucking idiot?
>>
What class/race is the most fun at tier 1?
>>
>>55280970
any spellcaster, martials are still just "i attack", they just may do a little extra damage

but a spellcaster might say "Well I use hypnotic pattern and charm the entire room" and make entire fights irrelevant.
>>
>>55280936
Spell points instead of slots
Level 20: you can use metamagic on other creature's spells

New metamagics I made:

Alchemical Spell
When you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, or thunder
damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to another type
among those same options.

Delayed Spell
When you cast a spell that has a casting time less than one minute, you can
spend 2 sorcery points to delay the effects of the spell. You cast the spell as
normal, but none of the effects of the spell occur immediately. Choose a number
of rounds no greater than half your sorcerer level. The effects of the spell
occur that many rounds into the future on an initiative count that you choose
when you cast the spell. If the spell has a range of self or touch, the spell
takes effect as normal. Otherwise, the effects of the spell originate from where
the spell was originally cast. You can only delay one spell at a time.

Enlarged Spell
When you cast a spell that effects an area, you can spend a number of sorcery
points equal to 1 + the spell's level to double the size of the area effected by
this spell in all dimensions.

Frightening Spell
When you cast a spell that targets only one creature, you can spend 3 sorcery
points to force the target to make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save
DC. On a failure, the target becomes frightened of you for one minute. The
target can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the
effect on a success.

Merciful Spell
When you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to
restrain the spell's power. If a creature is reduced to 0 hit points by this
spell and not killed outright, the creature falls unconscious and is stable.

Strange Spell
When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist
its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to change the first saving throw for
one creature from one ability to another of your choice.
>>
>>55280959
Is he literally retarded? How severely idiotic can you be to get cited for theft and now not reading nor fully comprehending the legal ramifications?
He stop being a greedy passive aggressive autist.
>>
>>55281075
Do you not get tired of using the same insults against every single person you disapprove of?
>>
>>55280959
Blames Wizards for his literal retardation. Fucking retard.
>>
>>55281058
>Alchemical Spell
Reminds me of the Lore Mastery Wizard, which if I'm to be honest pissed me off because of how much shit Wizards get compared to Sorcerers and how Sorcerer-esque it feels.
>>
>>55281088
Do you not get tired of being an autist?
>>
>>55280970
Unironically warlock.
You want to blast the shit out of things? Done.
You want to have a bunch of rituals or an invisible familiar? You got it.
You want to levitate at will? Sure thing.
You want to change your appearance ten times in a minute? Nothing simpler.

Before the levels where real spellcasters actually have a lot of spell slots to work with, warlocks have the most magical utility. And also they blast things into dust.
>>
>>55281106
I based that one and Strange Spell on the loremaster abilities
>>
File: ArgumentAutomaticallyWon.jpg (80KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
ArgumentAutomaticallyWon.jpg
80KB, 500x517px
>>55281112
Man, if only there was some way to predict he'd call me an autist...
>>
File: angry dwarf.jpg (27KB, 294x320px) Image search: [Google]
angry dwarf.jpg
27KB, 294x320px
>Okay, so I roll... uh, one D20? One D20, plus... uh... plus... uh....
ONE TWENTY SIDED DIE

PLUS YOUR PROFICIENCY BONUS

PLUS YOUR ATTRIBUTE MODIFIER

WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING THIS GAME FOR NINE WEEKS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>55281141
Whatever helps you sleep better at night, buddy. Dont want to burst your bubble.
>>
>>55281141
Watch out, next he'll call you a "literal blathering retard"
>>
>>55281156
There, there. Let it all out, Anon. We all feel this frustration sometimes.
Don't hold back. You're among people who understand. We all know what to roll when attacking.
You're safe here, Anon.
>>
>>55281162
>>55281141
If you're not these things, why do you even care? Did your precious feelings get hurt?
>>
File: 1372817736972.gif (643KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1372817736972.gif
643KB, 480x270px
>>55281156
>i'm trying :(
>>
>>55281188
We're just starting to pity your lack of creativity, anon
>>
>>55281162
OK, so it's not just me who's noticed this guy recently. Glad to hear it.

>>55281188
You really don't think the quality of discussion goes down when every 10th post in the thread contains the phrase "severely autistic"?
>>
>>55281195
Then stop your sniveling.

>>55281198
Then stop acting retarded, literally autistic and blathering. It's just that simple. Stop your sniveling.
>>
>>55281156
BUT I'M NOT PROFICIENT IN THAT SKILL AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT ATTRIBUTE GIVES ME THE BONUS TO JERKING OFF REEEEEEEEEE LET ME READ MY CHARACTER SHEET FOR 5 SECONDS
>>
>>55278749
Will that fix things? Or are you implying I'm a woman?
>>
>>55276306
>severe autist
>>55276612
>severely autistic
>>55278403
>severe autism
>>55279010
>severe retard
Well, that's a bit of a change, at least.
>>55281075
>severely idiotic... autist
>>55281216
>literally autistic

I wonder what it's like to have this little introspection and self-awareness.
>>
>>55281216
>retarded
>literally autistic
>blathering
>stop your sniveling x2
kek
>>
>>55281216
Do you actually know what "sniveling" means? Because neither of those posts are doing it.
>inb4 I'm severely autistic and/or retarded
>>
Sorry, had to worrrrHOOOLY SHIT that OP is one of my things too.

Am I getting /tg/ famous? Neat. I refuse to adopt a trip on any kind of permanent basis, though.

Anyway.

>>55275715
>I mean some fun stuff for sure, but why copy the stupid shit?

Actually I didn't copy the table - I was inspired by it, but the table is actually quite different in specific details. In any event, it's only presented as a guideline. I'm not Wizards of the Coast, I can't post authoritative 5e supplements.

>Used the literally idiotic pregnancy options that make pregnancies last weird amounts of time

The pregnancy lengths were actually drawn from the older "Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" (at least for humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and half-elves), an AD&D sex supplement. Again, these are presented only as guidelines and suggestions, not authoritative statements. Having said that, pregnancies last for different lengths of time because, well, they do in nature. Even among primates, pregnancy lengths vary (humans average 270 days; gorillas, 257; chimps, 240)

I think one of the reasons why the 5e Guide to Sex has turned out well is precisely because I've liberally mined preexisting sex guides for D&D - the Book of Erotic Fantasy, the Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, the Encyclopaedia Arcane: Nymphology...

>>55276555
Well, OP was intended more-or-less as a rough draft. The Tarokka deck...huh, you know, you might actually have something there.

The specific context of the OP cards was supposed to be that the player characters are actually sitting in an inn 30 years after campaign, telling the story of what went down to a rapt audience. Hence the Plot Twists represent interruptions, corrections, or even "spicing up" a boring scene.
>>
>>55281273
The secret is to put your name/handle on the content you create in a very unobtrusive place but not take credit for it on the actual anonymous board. That's what I do, at least. Hasn't worked it.
Okay, so it's a shitty secret. But at least my crappy MSPaint memes get reposted sometimes.
>>
>>55281244
If you can actually read you'll find the points, I'll even wait to give your Remedial English abilities the time to actually comprehend what you're reading. You can do it, I believe in your ability to actually string coherent thought together.
>>
>>55281273
>The specific context of the OP cards was supposed to be that the player characters are actually sitting in an inn 30 years after campaign, telling the story of what went down to a rapt audience. Hence the Plot Twists represent interruptions, corrections, or even "spicing up" a boring scene.
I sort of love this. D&D as an unreliable narrator game. Makes me think of Dragon Age 2, but with more than one person being interrogated.

>>55280936
I don't dislike what you're trying to do here, but remember that sorcerers are as viable as most classes. The problem is with wizards, not with sorcerers.
Just something to keep in mind, so as to not discourage people who might have fun playing the class.
>>
>>55281244
>>55281250
Being this buttblasted. Holy shit.
>>
>>55281319
>The problem is with wizards, not with sorcerers.
Just because one class is weaker than others doesn't mean you should take away that class' toys. You should give the weak classes more toys to even them out. There's no physical limitation on toys like IRL.
>>
>>55281307
Frankly, I don't give a shit what your points are. I know this is 4chinz and we're all anomalous and edgy here, but the fact that I can recognize you from your incessant, identical tirades against every single person you disagree with means you are a really special kind of shitty. And fraknly, your "points" are the last thing I care about. Until you can present them like a civilized human being, I'm not going to engage you on that level.
>inb4 this is sniveling and autistic somehow
>>
>>55281351
I'm not saying we should take away people's toys, but you can't solve everything with buffs. That's how you get power creep, and power creep is how you get 3.PF.
I think most classes are basically where they should be. Sorcerers, druids, warlocks, most martials (barbarians are a bit weak) - they all play on a relatively level playing field. Wizard and bard are the obvious exceptions - they're just too damn versatile in what they can do, and they don't have to make trade-offs for it.
If you boost everything to the level of wizard (honestly not sure how you'd do it), you'd just get Medieval Swiss Army Superheroes: the RPG. Which might be cool, but it's not necessarily the game I want to play.
>>
>>55281380
Why are you this upset? I at least presented actually relevant points if you can actually read and your vision isn't blinded by your tears, you're just being a shitcunt. If you don't like it and it affects your overly delicately sensitive sensibilities, don't fucking read it.
>>
>>55281431
>shitcunt
Oooh look! A new one!
Good job anon!
>>
>>55281484
Not him, continuing to act obnoxious isn't helping you mate.
>>
>>55281431 >>55281484
Oh Jesus Christ, just fuck already.
>>
File: 1501052349927.png (287KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1501052349927.png
287KB, 540x489px
>>55281414
>barbarians are a bit weak
>>
>>55281414
I'm actually fine with spellcasters being strong. What should be done to balance them is that you need more exp to take a level in say wizard than fighter.
>>
>>55281501
I don't think you realize how many people are involved here.
Then again, orgies are fun.
>>
>>55281519
>exp

Now how do you balance that for people who do milestone instead of tracking?
>>
>>55281505
Barbarians are damage sponges. Really good ones, too. But that level of damage sponginess isn't typically required in 5e.
Beyond that, they're mostly good for multiclassing. Their DPS is certainly nothing to write home about, despite being strikers in the previous edition.
>>
>>55281499
You should tell that to "severe autist" anon
>>
>>55281531
Just how many imaginary friends do you have?
>>
>>55281546
Can you stop acting obnoxious? What triggered you?
>>
>>55281519
That would seem to go against the idea of a level system, whereby one would assume that things of the same level have the same rough power level. I know that different levels of experience is how AD&D handled things (and since it was explicit as such it doesn't warrant a certain pic I could post), but I think 3rd Edition made the right decision to instead have all the classes level up at the same rate.
>>
>>55281519
Balancing via XP and progression rate didn't balance 2e and it wouldn't balance modern D&D either.
>>
>>55281554
Tons, but that's not relevant. I'm part of this discussion, and I know there's at least one more poster on my side of things. And if you believe the other side isn't samefagging, there's at least two people there too.
I guess technically we need five for an orgy. Maybe one of my imaginary friends can join in.
>Making fun of imaginary friends on a D&D board
>>
>>55281566
I'm the one acting obnoxious? Did you just join the thread? Or are you autist-anon?
>>
>>55281540
It takes more milestones for a wizard to level. A DM should know when they would level

>>55281570
Why do you think that? Level shouldn't correspond to power. That's what cr is for.
I like my wizards being strong, but I understand that it's unbalanced.
>>
>>55281584
>>55281594
Is this a discussion or it just you screeching?
>>
Why do bards have the shittiest level 20 ability? Even Sorcerers have it better, and theirs should just be a short rest ability gained at level 2 or 3.
>>
https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/25

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ETOA

ToA is now out on DDB and FG. Or Roll20 if you like supporting Literal Cuckold Nolan T. Jones and paying twice as much for it.
>>
>>55281605
>level shouldn't correspond to power
>that is what cr is for

CR isn't for players.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (45KB, 750x591px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
45KB, 750x591px
>>55281605
>Level shouldn't correspond to power. That's what cr is for.
>>
>>55281610
1. Two different people, mate.
2. Pretending that calm people are "screeching" is a tactic that works better in real life where there isn't a direct record of the entire conversation.
>>
>>55281626
Well make it for players. You guys just asked for how I would fix wizards. I don't want weak wizards.
>>
Why do you want balance so badly anyway? It's not like sorcerers or anything other than beastmasters underperform to the point of being unplayable.
>>
>>55281644
But, implicitly, you do want weak fighters, at least as compared to wizards.
>>
>>55281622
Oh is it just hardback that releases on the 19th?
>>
>>55281640
Yeah, you sound completely calm alright, completely addled. Do you have actually useful points to contribute, if you could actually read I presented actual points to the topics of conversation, you're just screeching.
>>
>>55281678
You can buy it physically at WPN stores today.
>>
>>55281679
>>55281610
>>55281566
>>55281499
Samefag?
>>
>>55281644
Nobody saying they should be WEAK. At least, I'm not.
No, my problem is that wizards' versatility is one of the worst sacred cows in D&D. It shouldn't even exist, but it does because it's based on a fantasy archetype that was never intended to represent a member of a ragtag crew.
A class that can potentially solve literally any problem is not good design. The problem is a lot smaller than in past editions (4e notwithstanding) but it's still there. And the reason sorcerers feel bad is because they are how wizards SHOULD be - powerful and versatile, but they can't access all of the options without sacrificing some others.
>>
5e is balanced enough
>>
>>55281699
Probably, but not certainly. It IS 4chan after all. Even though /5eg/ is usually one of the less edgy spaces, you can't ever escape the cringe completely.
>>
>>55281690
Shit, for real? Fuck me. Guess I gotta head 40 minutes to the closest one in the next day or two.
>>
>>55281699
No, but you'd figure it out.

>>55281707
Definitely, it's balanced enough but doesn't need to be necessarily perfectly balanced.
>>
File: 89789732978342.png (388KB, 474x458px) Image search: [Google]
89789732978342.png
388KB, 474x458px
Just had hands-down the most bizarre moment of my DMing career. First session for three new players.
>Players are in an abandoned fort, having heard rumors that it once housed a hidden treasure vault for the recently deceased baron
>Overrun with bugs
>Party battles and kills infant Ankhegs hatchlings while searching the halls
>Eventually the party comes across a band of goblins, who say they're here looking for the new treasure too
>Hobgoblin boss tells the adventurers to back off, says they'll kill the adventurers if they try to take the treasure
>After brief discussion, the players decide to back off and avoid conflict with the goblins
>What do you do next?
>Players say they leave the fort.
>Wat
>"The goblins said to back off, we don't want any trouble."
>Bold adventurers go outside and set up camp outside the fort
>They want to "make sure the goblins got out okay"
>Okay, maybe the players are planning to let the goblins do the work and take their gold. Underhanded, but clever.
>Sure, I'll reward clever thinking
>Decide the goblins will get some of the treasure but will get driven off by the Ankheg mother, so that the players still have the treasures in the main treasure room to steal and something to fight
>Early in the morning the goblins emerge, battle-worn with their numbers thinned but carrying some treasure
>Players hail the goblins and ask them what happened
>Goblins tell stupid big people to stay away
>Players let them go
>"They earned it fair and square"
>Wat
>Are you at least going back in to get the treasure they missed?
>Nah, if it messed up the goblins like that it's probably too dangerous for us, not worth the trouble
>Adventurers turn around and leave the fortress, having accumulated no treasure

I guess... maybe they're just not cut out for the adventuring life?
>>
File: slav philosophy.jpg (109KB, 805x768px) Image search: [Google]
slav philosophy.jpg
109KB, 805x768px
>>55280703
>>
>>55281679
You do know that failure to detect people's tones and responding to problems disproportionately and without restraint are symptoms of actual, non-meme autism, right?
>>
>>55281759
In fairness, tone is pretty hard to determine on the Internet, especially 4chan, where there's no bolding, italics, and so on.
>>
>>55281742
You clearly have a group of lawful good players
>>
Is there ANY possible way to make a warlock familiar a viable combatant?

I just want to summon monsters to fight for me senpai.
Why couldn't the warlock pacts have turned warlocks into basically. The fuck.
Chain - arcane beastmaster
Blade - damage/gish
Book - utility caster

Is their a binder homebrew
>>
>>55281759
Do you understand that's precisely what you're doing, especially what >>55281380 is doing? Pot meet kettle. Why are you continuing to drag the thread down?
>>
>>55281742
I think they acted very reasonably. Being an adventurer doesn't mean being cutthroat psychopaths. Well, not always.
I think instead of discouraging this behavior, you should work with it. Have them meet other adventurers. Reward their discretion and courtesy. Maybe if they let another band get treasure x, that band will let them get treasure y. Maybe they can team up for a dungeon neither group can clear on its own.
You've got the opportunity to explore a friendly community of adventurers. I say you go for it.
>>
>>55281796
On one hand you're right, and I shouldn't engage this sort of poster. On the other hand, severely-autistic-projection-anon has been making /5eg/ extremely obnoxious in the past few days and I'd like it to stop and I don't think ignoring him will make the problem stop.
Basically I'm at a loss. I guess the healthy thing to do is disengage because at least I'm not holding on to the toxicity.
You know what? Ok. You're right. I'm done and it's not worth my time.
Thanks for getting me here.
>>
>>55281759
You do know that it's hard to detect tone on the Internet don't you? You know how it's a written medium, and you're responding completely disproportionately and without restraint. Are you a sufferer of actual, non-meme autism?
>>
File: Unperfect Cell.png (604KB, 561x567px) Image search: [Google]
Unperfect Cell.png
604KB, 561x567px
>>55281742
This isn't murderhoboing.

I don't even know what this is.
>>
File: tumblr_otandbmZbu1u1tea9o1_1280.gif (528KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_otandbmZbu1u1tea9o1_1280.gif
528KB, 1000x1000px
>>55281792
Binder?
>>
>>55281845
Friendshiphobos?
>>
>>55281845
It's like the opposite of murder-hoboing.
It's... pacifism-camping.
>>
>>55281885
It's a nature walk.
>>
>>55281830
I'd recommend less obnoxiousness, if you had presented legitimate arguments in a calm and consistent manner you'd have more of a leg to stand on.

Legit curious, did one of your points get completely btfo'd and this is the reason you've being acting irrationally?
>>
>>55281273
I just do my duty lurking the shit out of things. I liked your post, saved it, and apparently have lost the text .. somewhere. Pretty sure its on my computer. You should absolutely update it though, at some point. Or include the 'rules' that you were using as a secondary document or something, so it can be saved together.

Maybe I should do a .jpg/pdf dump one of these days, I've collected some of the random stuff like this. I dig it.

>>55281544
Their DPS isn't horrid - there's the whole meme of great axe wielding barbarians unloading with brutal criticals, but its god damned spikey to say the least. They do a solid task, but yeah, fighters are the kings.

I just wish my DM hit me with more slashing/piercing/bludgeoning weapons.

>>55281705
I agree, but am staying out of the actual nitty-gritty of the design. Wizards should be MUCH more specialized in their schools, while right now they are more 'I do everything but I'm a bit better at X". I come from a more Warhammer background, where the types of magic are more segregated, and I dig that. It should be a cost/benefit thing, not "I guess I'll get SUPER good at this and just good at everything else."

>>55281742
Those ... Are really fucking reasonable players. Part of me wants to almost clap at that, because it feels a very 'in character' analysis of the situation, versus metagaming that tends to be predominant of "We are the big damned heroes, we can totally fuck that shit up!"

>>55281792
They aren't really summoners. But uh. Compendium of Forgotten Secrets. It's not an official document, but its pretty interesting homebrew that was well received. Not my work, but I've asked about it here and the general consensus was solid, neat fluff, fit the design documents, and combat familiars are a bit of a mistake because that's not the point of chain pact.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9p7DxYuE-3VQWRpNGQ0ckxLcTQ/view
>>
File: 4chan.gif (285KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.gif
285KB, 300x100px
>>55281897
How about you both kys
>>
>>55281742
Well, they don't seem to have any real incentive to act otherwise. Not all players are instinctively murder hobos.

>there's gold and treasure
>yeah but why do we need it?
If you don't track lifestyle expenses then who cares. They don't need money. They can just relax.
Give them some real conflict.
Are the ankhegs actually hurting anyone? No? Alright, we'll leave.

How about now that they've established a relationship with the hobgoblins they are given a mission by them?
Or maybe the hobgoblins use the gold they procured for evil purposes. Showing the players that there's consequences for letting bad guys get away with treasure.
Give them an Uncle Ben moment or something.
>>
>>55281830
Other people have been slinging retard and cunt and more obnoxiousness for a long time, nope it's only that guy who has been making 5eg obnoxious. Is there something legitimately wrong with you?
>>
>>55281902
>and combat familiars are a bit of a mistake because that's not the point of chain pact.
Yeah I know. I just want to essentially be an arcane beast master.

Seems like bending powerful beings to their will would certainly fall under the realm of a warlock.
>>
File: areyouseeingthisshit.png (210KB, 408x267px) Image search: [Google]
areyouseeingthisshit.png
210KB, 408x267px
>>55276048
>Player has super edgy Tiefling Bard with flying boots that pretends he's actually an angel
>Actually goes around avoiding enemies during combat so he can use big heals on people

color me suprised
>>
>>55281902
>I just wish my DM hit me with more slashing/piercing/bludgeoning weapons.
Can't hear you over all this damage my bear totem is reducing

>Wizards should be MUCH more specialized in their schools
>It should be a cost/benefit thing, not "I guess I'll get SUPER good at this and just good at everything else."
Exactly this.
>>
>>55281902
>it feels a very 'in character' analysis of the situation, versus metagaming that tends to be predominant of "We are the big damned heroes, we can totally fuck that shit up!"

That's not true at all. You're retarded.
>>
>>55281906
Nah, an Uncle Ben moment requires the character(s) to have been assholes themselves - not necessarily criminal, but certainly jerks.

These players are reasonable people who haven't done anything wrong, so punishing them for that is a Thomas and Martha Wayne moment.
>>
>>55281906
Not that anon, but I almost want to discourage the whole 'well you let evil things get away with something ergo its going to immediately bite you in the ass'. If the hobgoblins have a specific interest that requires them to be antagonistic to the area, sure, but otherwise it just seems to be doubling down on 'well you might as well just kill everything because its going to fuck you over'. Same thing that leads people to all be homeless orphans.

I personally like the idea of the hobgoblins coming back - they weren't able to get all the treasure, and they were obviously not able to handle it on their own. Have the hobgoblins approach the PC's about working together with them to go back and take out the ankhegs and get the rest of the treasure, with the PC's getting a cut of it. Or the hobgoblins want one specific item that wasn't in the rest of the treasure, that has some sort of significance to them, and they are willing to give the PC's the rest of the treasure if they can get it / maybe even pay the entire treasure to the PC's, as that's not what they are there for.

That gives you a lot more room to work with. The hobgoblins can absolutely betray the PC's, and it feels (to me) less like a "well fuck letting evil exist" because its something they knowingly worked along side. Or you can have only *some* of the hobgoblins try to turn against the PC's. Or you can have them slink off with the item and they go and do their own thing, and it turns out that was kind of a pivotal moment. Or maybe it turns out that the ankhegs are coming from some larger source, and the PC's realize they have to deal with it and the hobgoblins don't give a shit because they have their treasure.etc.etc.etc.

Work from there to engage them on the decisions they've made.
>>
File: mercy_by_alexroivas-da362ix.jpg (131KB, 746x1072px) Image search: [Google]
mercy_by_alexroivas-da362ix.jpg
131KB, 746x1072px
>>55281941
I don't see the problem.
>>
>>55281963
Bro, you're gonna get jumped for calling someone retarded!
>>
>>55281991
>overwatch shit

BARF
>>
>>55281991
it was pretty great desu but it just surprised the fuck out of me since he was being extremely rogue-ish in non-combat scenerios, and had an edgy af backstory.
>>
>>55281996
Is "retard" off-limits now like Jew, autistic, and nigger?
>>
>>55281906
>>55281845
>>55281810
We had a conversation after the session about what it was they were looking for out of the campaign. The players decided that since their initial idea for their party was that they were surveying the land and helping map the landscape in the aftermath of a quasi-apocalyptic scenario, they were more interested in gathering information about the region worth selling to nearby townships than starting trouble with goblins and bugs. Next session they want to try to establish contact with those goblins' tribe, now that they know they're out there.

I'm actually pretty interested in where they want to take things, since they seem invested in the concept behind their group as nonstandard as it is, but as someone who's been DMing for about ten years having a group of adventurers go "this dungeon's above our paygrade, we're out" was the last thing I'd expected a new group to do.
>>
>>55281924
I would check out the link I posted. Went to post up PDF directly, but apparently it's too big to post. It has some things that might interest you - but it's definitely not official.

Honestly, you could probably get your DM to just refluff your beasts as arcane things. After all, they are literal spirits made flesh that just use the stats of the given creatures. There's nothing stopping you from making them obviously arcane creatures, and you could even MC warlock to double down on that.

>>55281961
I went wolf totem because our (stupidly fucking large group) has a dual wielding rogue, two monks, a melee ranger, and a moon druid (and a valor bard, who never actually hits anything with any weapons, ever). Except the rogue only shoots from ranged (or uses its familiar to just give itself advantage anyways), the monks went way of the four elements (and got sterling vermins variation) so they only cast from ranged, the ranger primarily works ranged, and the druid ... Benefits occasionally, I guess.

Just one of those things I kind of face palm over because I wanted to go the thematic route and grab something that would in theory help the party. Except nothing ever hits me with B/P/S, so I take full damage when ever I get hit. Really fucking chuffs me.

>>55281963
To each their own. I side with another anon where it sounds like it was vaguely presented as basically just a loot hole that was there to get fucked. Which is absolutely fine, but I can see a lot of people in that situation going "Not really worth the risk when all we have is vague rumors, no real reason to go in there, and an apparently dangerous foe". There's absolutely people that will leap at it because things in the way deserve to die, but I'm talking about more practical adventurers.
>>
>>55282023
Yep, apparently, according to this SJW >>55281244 it's a no-no word.
>>
>>55278148

I'd just reflect that in the monster's AC.
>>
>>55278918

oh yeah the high level druid is going to be SO effective using a ranged weapon.
>>
>>55281969
Sure the players were reasonable, but that doesn't mean goblins should be. If the DM's problem is that players aren't willing to create conflict then they must induce it, if that's what they want out of their players. I can agree that you don't want to promote murderhoboing. Apologies for perhaps encouraging that behavior with the last suggestion. In retrospect, hobgoblins likely aren't the most diabolical creatures so it isn't entirely likely they'd turn around and immediately fuck the players for letting them go about their business. But canonically they are evil and have evil intentions. If your hobgoblins are nice that's fine, I guess.
For all I rambling, my main point is that he should use their decisions to set up an actual plot hook where players have real need or investment in seeing a quest through to completion. Don't be surprised when they don't care about murdering things for the sake of murdering things.

>>55281975
I appreciate you further expounding on the hobgoblins giving the players a quest to partake in. That would be my preferred method as well. You basically wrote out how I would probably handle it in more detail than I bothered to.

So yeah. Do what this anon said.
>>
>>55282012
In-game, Mercy is non-stop sarcasm and annoyance with everyone around her.
My comparison stands.
>>
File: 1502810271753.png (359KB, 1102x382px) Image search: [Google]
1502810271753.png
359KB, 1102x382px
Why is Monk save profs not Con and Dex?
>>
>>55282117
Because those are both strong saves, and they intentionally gave no class two strong saves?
>>
>>55282117
Likely because they're supposed to be hard to knock-off their feet, as it were. So they picked str and dex. It is str and dex right? I forget.

Also no one gets two "good" saves. Giving them con and dex would go against design patterns. Everyone gets one good save, and the other "eh" save.
>>
>>55282099
>>55281975
I'll probably end up using that for the next session. Thanks!
>>
File: 337257066072899596.png (32KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
337257066072899596.png
32KB, 128x128px
>looking through Volo's for Beholder shit
>that fucking lair
>that fucking Sanctum
>goobering 120 feet in the air in pitch black darkness

shit, Beholders do NOT fuck around
>>
>>55282117
because its traditional. when monks, then called mystics, were originally introduced you had to have high dex & str to even play one. Just like you needed high int for a magic-user, or wisdom for a cleric.
>>
>>55282157
Something that *might* be fun.
Why not have the hobgoblin explain that the stupidest and weakest of the goblins he commands seems to have dropped the most important piece of treasure when running from the queen.
As punishment he offers the players the goblin as a guide and also as potential fodder against the queen if they can get the treasure he so stupidly left behind.
>>
>>55282204
Yeah my players would instantly die. They would have no idea how to handle it.
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>55282204
If you play a beholder correctly it's something the players will fear the rest of their adventuring days.
>>
>>55282257
>monks, then called mystics
Is this in basic? Because they were always monks in AD&D.

>>55282274
That would also be a good way to introduce an NPC ally if you so wish.
>>
File: Gulp.jpg (34KB, 650x262px) Image search: [Google]
Gulp.jpg
34KB, 650x262px
>>55282293
>>55282285

they did fear it. 6 man level 7 party and 3 of them died. 1 escaped on his own and 2 went the opposite direction.
>>
>>55282274
If its a super important treasure, why would he be sending outright cannon fodder along with them? You would think he would be more invested.

>>55282293
I feel like that can be said about most things. Creatures are a LOT stronger than their stat blocks if they are being played intelligently - look at Tuckers Kobolds. Or if you just had dungeons function in logical manners; the whole "well we just are going to barricade ourselves in here and rest for awhile" that the dungeon modules encourage should often quickly result in a massive swarm of prepared enemies.
>>
File: Alignments.png (81KB, 409x578px) Image search: [Google]
Alignments.png
81KB, 409x578px
>>55282099
>But canonically they are evil and have evil intentions.

I've never fully bought into this...that is, while I accept that hobgoblins are generally inclined towards evil, it's also true that elves are generally inclined towards good, yet the elf race doesn't seem to have any particular shortage of neutral or evil members. Likewise, goblins and orcs and so on would probably produce neutral and good goblins and orcs and so on in roughly the same proportion.

That this was explicit in 3rd Edition (crack open your 3e MM and check out what "usually" actually means in terms of alignment), and one of 3e's actually decent contributions to the game.

I actually use the grid in pic as a rough guide for any humanoid race.
>>
>>55282320
>If its a super important treasure, why would he be sending outright cannon fodder along with them? You would think he would be more invested.
Because if he's the that dropped it, he should know where it is. And they sounded like they were pretty fucked up from the fight with the queen earlier. Players seem to be in good condition.
Could even set up a scenario where players can still avoid conflict if they're lucky. Could even throw them into a dilemma of protecting the "cannon fodder" goblin, or just grabbing the treasure and getting the fuck out.
>>
>>55282274
>>55282304
Actually, why not have the goblin himself approach the PC's? He has the motivation to do so: "Oh shit I dropped something SUPER FUCKING IMPORTANT AND I'M GOING TO GET MURDERIZED IF I DON'T GET IT BACK FOR MY BOSS". Suddenly you have an NPC ally that flows a bit better, you have a favored owed to you.etc.etc.

Personally, I just like the idea of a goblin sneaking back in with the party to grab an important artifact, and having him end up assuming control of the warband down the line. Whether or not that becomes a *good* thing is debatable, but just a small touch of the players impacting the world.
>>
File: 1298398936972.jpg (90KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
1298398936972.jpg
90KB, 432x585px
>>55282311
Personally I gave them ample warning through found text, notes and NPCs offering advice.
>>
>>55282352
this beholder was a crime boss and his identity was hidden beyond his name. although, the sigil for his crime syndicate was a cat-like eye, his name was on fucking everything, the lair they waltz up to had dust venting out the top and statues in the entry way, so its on them i think
>>
>>55282350
This is also a fine suggestion.
Could even impose a time limit of "I need to get it before he realizes it's missing from the pile."

Played an npc goblin in a similar way before where he was actually going against his tribe for the sake of treasure and also tried to assume leadership of the party. The party thought it was hilarious and he became a beloved NPC.
>>
>>55282338
Canonically, goblinoids and orcs are explicitly evil by nature. Drow are evil by nurture and the machinations of an evil goddess.

They rolled that back, with gods directly telling characters it was the case.
>>
>>55282338
But this is 5e
>>
I swear if I have to sift through 50+ posts of people arguing about subjective morality in an objective morality based system. I will be moderately upset.
>>
>>55281792
YES
I love the binder
Uh https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/4pptkn/the_binder_is_here_for_5e_after_a_year_of_working/

http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/06/book-of-binding.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/4nrdgf/tome_of_magic_binder_full_5e_class_conversion/

Pick one
>>
>>55282350
>>55282378
In one of my longest-running games, I prepared a goblin/bugbear warband encounter. My players ended up negotiating with them and leaving without bloodshed.
I decided this was too important to just drop, so I had the warband (particularly its named goblin leader, whose voice acting the players adored) show up again once or twice, usually as sources of information. Eventually, they settled around a monastery that provided healing to both sides in a conflict, and declared that they were protecting it. Since neither side really wanted the place gone, they allowed the small tribe to maintain control of it.
Our current game is set up 500 years later, and there's a whole country that grew around that monastery, with the goblin and his descendants as its kings. It's the only kingdom around with a goblin royal family.
>>
>>55282429
I love you, senpai.
>>
>>55282304
Even previous, the Blackmoor supplement to OD&D.
>>
>>55282452
if you love me get me that toa pdf already
I can't pick it up in store till after work....Enjoy the binder, the 3rd one was the one i played with iirc
>>
>>55282384
>Canonically, goblinoids and orcs are explicitly evil by nature.

Then explain Nojheim.

In any event, even if we accept that they're evil by nature, that still doesn't mean that they're necessarily thinking about screwing people over 24/7.

>>55282391
Yeah, and 5e backsliding to AD&D days insofar as alignment is concerned, was a mistake. The various nonplayer humanoid races are just much more interesting if they're portrayed as being actual *people* with their own societies, cultures, and views, and reasons for doing what they're doing.

Note that I am NOT trying to say that they're not "really" evil; not trying to make them races of dindus. I'm just trying to change the context of WHY they're evil to something that seems...perhaps not "more realistic", so much as "less of a convenient excuse to allow their slaughter".

Plus I fucking hate Gygax's "nits make lice" comment concerning orc babies for multiple reasons, so anything to stick it to that bastard suits me fine.
>>
>>55282374
Mine was leading a ritual that the PCs never did figure out what the end result was, even though they had enough clues and a chance to. Until the next campaign where they found out the consequences of the ritual that opened a direct gateway to the far realms and allowed all sorts of Eldritch things that leaked in and began twisting the land. Luckily they succeed that campaign and stopped another ritual held by their old friend that was to awaken Cuthulu, eventually they turned the tide and were able to seal the breach. Ever since they don't fuck around when they so much as suspect a beholder is involved, even if it isn't. I plan to give them one last chance to kill him since he got away, only now he became a death tyrant due to the whole event and his fretting of what the beings would do when they got ahold of him.
>>
File: thonkang.png (8KB, 90x88px) Image search: [Google]
thonkang.png
8KB, 90x88px
>>55282500
>5e backsliding to AD&D days insofar as alignment is concerned
>>
>>55282500
>Then explain Nojheim.
Exceptional individuals can overcome their natural instincts and desires. A good aligned specific goblin would be fighting their natural instincts at all times.
>>
File: 1502730764746.jpg (39KB, 387x411px) Image search: [Google]
1502730764746.jpg
39KB, 387x411px
>>55282500
>>
>>55276231
ToA comes out tomorrow in stores
>>
>>55282446
See, that kind of shit I like. I personally like the idea of players engaging with things as more than just essentially mobs from MMO's where they have to get directly murderized.

I mean, there's things that absolutely go too far in the opposite direction - I know in my game I have a fellow player that when attacked by a squad of wyverns with knights mounted on them, punch stunned one of them and tried to roll animal handling (untrained) in the middle of combat to make it his pet. Which was bloody absurd.

>>55282500
>Note that I am NOT trying to say that they're not "really" evil; not trying to make them races of dindus. I'm just trying to change the context of WHY they're evil to something that seems...perhaps not "more realistic", so much as "less of a convenient excuse to allow their slaughter".
I support this.
>>
What do you think of this fluff item?

>Scarf of the Twin Horizon
>Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement)
>This scarf has a the pattern of the sky directly above you, even if you have an obstruction above your head. When worn around your neck, you receive protection from the current weather — if it's a hot sunny day, you feel a gentle cold around your body; if it's raining, you can't get wet; if it's snowing, you feel warmth; if it's windy, you don't feel the wind blowing against you, etc.
>As an action, you may speak the command word and the pattern is gently replaced with the exact properties of a mirror. This effect lasts for one hour or until you speak the command word to stop it. This action can only be used once during the day and once during the night of the same day.
>>
>>55282500
>not trying to make them races of dindus
that's exactly what you're doing, so stop it
>>
>>55282555
My OoA paladin would wear that
>>
>>55282521
Insofar as monstrous humanoid alignment is concerned. That is, that even though these are intelligent humanoids we're talking about, they're just innately one alignment.

Nojheim is merely the most famous example. Remember that Al-Qadim takes place in the same universe as the Forgotten Realms, simply further south. Goblins, orcs, gnolls, and others live side-by-side peaceably with elves, dwarves, halflings, and others all across the continent of Zakhara, no more inclined to good or evil than any other individual there.

>>55282525
Nojheim didn't seem to be fighting anything.

>>55282533
I hate Goblin Slayer for unrelated reasons; in its universe, goblins aren't really humanoids, they're the spawn of some dark god or other entity in a more direct fashion than the goblins of D&D tend to be. So it's fine to kill them, they really don't have any other option but to be rapist bastards. They aren't sapient.

That doesn't apply to the Forgotten Realms, where we know that goblins can and do think and reason on their own.
>>
>>55282595
Except the MM explicitly states that you should adjust the given alignment as needed by your campaign and setting. It's just written with default lore assumptions in mind.

Of course that would require people to actually read, which from /5eg/ you can see is a tough skill to come by these days.
>>
>>55277201
i think it's pretty good, i would just skip the level 1 stuff and go straight to level 3. i usually prefer starting out at the beginning, but it's lacking direction early on
>>
>>55282595
Yet orcs are directly tied to a dark god and must fight their nature to be anything but evil, even if they are a half orc they struggle with this. It's almost like that same situation is still around of "nits make lice" in relation to orcs.
>>
>>55281236
It's obviously a constitution(slight of hand) check.
>>
>>55282617
It's those default lore assumptions I'm challenging. I want the default lore to go back to 3e, where humanoids were essentially never "always" of a given alignment, only "often" (the plurality) or "usually" (the narrow majority).

>>55282561
I mean, if you're far enough to the right, then everything looks like the far left.

It doesn't really matter whether the goblins are innately evil or evil because of circumstance when there's a band of them bearing down on a town with spears and bows in hand. They need to be stopped either way, and a party of adventurers is totally justified in using violence to do so.

It's just that I like the idea of beings that can actually be reasoned with on occasion when life-and-death matters are on the line. And for fairly obvious reasons I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a race of humanoids where killing the infants in their cribs is actually the sanest choice.
>>
>>55282595
>Nojheim didn't seem to be fighting anything.
In the 5e works, Drizzt has his inner dialogue chapter breaks in which he debates this very topic, after having been directly told by Cattie-Brie, who in turn was told by Mielikki, that goblin kind and orcs are not like other beings, but evil by their very nature.

Canonically, Nojheim is an exceptional individual, not representative of his nature, who overcame his darker instincts.
>>
File: Sleep Tight Knight.png (330KB, 848x942px) Image search: [Google]
Sleep Tight Knight.png
330KB, 848x942px
>>55281742
This honestly sounds like a super fun group to DM for. A definite breath of fresh air from my parties
>I cast earth tremor and smash his face
and
>While he's talking I cast fire bolt at his face
It's fun in it's own way, but I just love the idea of a party of totally reasonable adventurers.
>>
>>55281894
>Neature walks: the campaign
This dungeon is too dangerous. You can tell because of the way it is! Shit man, I'd play it.
>>
>>55279603
>>55279659
the best spell for the EK isn't anything to attack with - it's Shield. you can use that to be tanky as fuck pretty reliably
>>
>>55282686
My DM lost his shit last time my group pulled out of a plot hook.

>Sent to clear out squatters from a house
>Find them dead
>Trail suspect to town
>Follow suspect to lair, rescue some guy
>Some guy tells us about some dangerous shit and asks for help
>We tell him we'll see him tomorrow, get some sleep
>DM assumes this means we are going
>We talk to our superior, clear up the squatter situation, get a pat on the back for solving a murder, and take the day off
>DM ends session immediately pissed.

I even tried to give him ways to have us follow down the road, but a handful of gold isn't going to entice our group to ignore a vacation day for a job well done.
>>
>>55282683
>5e works, Cattie-Brie
Wot? Cattie-Brie died before the spellplague IIRC.
Also, Salvatore is a hack and should not be taken too seriously.
>>
>>55282740
All of them got resurrected. Wulfgar, Regis, Cattie-Brie, Bruenor, all got reincarnated to save Drizzt.
It definitely felt like editor mandate though, none of them HAD to be existing characters except Bruenor for the story to work, and they completely re-worked Regis into a competent fighter and alchemist.
>>
>>55282634
>Yet orcs are directly tied to a dark god

Elves are directly created from a light god, yet they don't have to fight their nature to be anything but good. Saying "Gruumsh is making them evil all the time guys" is contrived, plain and simple.

And again, this inclination DOESN'T EXIST in Zakhara, despite it being in the same world as Faerûn, just somewhat further south, with the orcs of Zakhara having the same origin as the orcs of Faerûn.

>It's almost like that same situation is still around of "nits make lice"

For the record, the reason why I hate this sentiment is that, while I don't know when the phrase was first uttered, it is most commonly associated with Oliver Cromwell's invasion of Ireland, with regards to the fact that the English - with Cromwell's blessing - happily slaughtered Irish women and children noncombatants.

>Children ripp’d out of their Mother’s Womb, and thrown to the Dogs, or dash’d against the Stones; crying, Nits will become Lice, destroy Root and Branch: with a thousand other Barbarities, too tedious as well as too dreadful to repeat, beside what has been transacted abroad.

You'll forgive this son of Irish immigrants if he doesn't take to kindly to the phrase as a result.
>>
>>55282683
The gods of Faerûn are hardly infallible.
>>
>>55282764
It's literal word of god, and the way it reads makes it clear that it was a WotC decision, since Salvatore's insert of Drizzt is constantly questioning it, but can't directly counter it.

I'm not saying its a better story mechanic; it isn't. In my games i ignore and change shit all the time, but that doesn't alter the default assumption baked into 5e, or the canon lore.
>>
Anyone have the tomb of annihilation (toa) scans/pdf?
>>
>>55282798
I do not, but i am reading through physically to prepare and it seems mega fun
>>
>>55282764
And yet mortals are all expected to act as though they are, or be imprisoned in a wall until their souls disintigrate.
>>
>>55282814
Short of a full pdf upload, be a dear and snap some quick peaks from the book to show off.
>>
>>55282817
>imprisoned in a wall until their souls disintigrate.
The wall is reserved for those that ALL of the gods refuse to take. Burn down orphanages? Still a dozen gods who will take you. Desecrate every holy site you come across? Still got some. You would almost literally have to personally go against every single god even tangentially related to your existence to wall from it. And even then, you can go to the 9 hells, or the abyss if you so choose, Demons do smash and grabs on souls and devils make deals with those in line constantly.
>>
>>55282839
You're mostly right. My point is really that as long as the Wall exists none of the gods in FR have any sort of mortal standing to claim they're infallible, because AFAIK they all support it.
>>
>>55282814
Any chance you could snap some photos of new classes/ races?
I'm particularly interested in sorcerer, monk cleric and rogue
Ty is possible :)
>>
>>55283024
You're thinking Xanathar's Guide, Tomb of Annihilation is the latest adventure. Grindy jungle adventure.
>>
>>55283030
I am too! Thanks!
>>
>>55282814
SCAN IT IMMEDIATELY

TEAR THAT SPINE OFF AND GET SCANNING
>>
So with ToA on DnD beyond, do we know what UA class options got in and what changes any of them got?
>>
>>55283138
None. Tomb of Annihilation is an adventure, not a splatbook, numbnuts.
>>
>>55283151

wait really, i thought they were putting in all the extra class stuff from the UAs too? well there goes all my excitement.
>>
Anons, this fellow at my FLGS challenged me to make a balanced PC conversion of the Duthka'gith - Fiendish Half-Red Dragon Githyanki - from back in 3.5.

I got $10 bucks riding on this bet, can any anons help me out?
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Duthka%27gith

Current kneejerk writeup plan goes:
Duthka'gith
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Blades of Gith: You have Proficiency with the Greatsword.
Ephelomon's Blood: You have Fire Resistance and, as an action, can spit a 15ft cone of flames. Creatures caught in the cone must make a Dexterity save (DC 8 + your Con modifier + your Proficiency bonus). On a failed save, they take 2d6 Fire damage, and halve that damage on a successful save. Your damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. After you have used your breath weapon, you must complete a short rest or a long rest before you can use it again.
Githyanki Blood: You are treated as a Githyanki for effects that key off of race. This allows you to use items restricted to githyanki, but also makes you vulnerable to powers that specifically target githyanki.
Claws: You have a Climb speed of 15 feet and can use your claws as natural weapons when making an unarmed strike. A claw attack inflicts 1d4 + Str modifier Slashing damage instead of the normal Bludgeoning damage for an unarmed strike.
Pyrokinetic: You can cast the Control Flame and Mage Hand cantrips, using Charisma as your spellcasting ability score.
>>
>>55283160
That's Xanathar's Guide to Everything, which comes out in November.
>>
Shits out on roll20 & fantasy grounds now.
>>
>>55283172
So literally a red dragonborn, but with claws?
>>
>>55283252
Welll, I'd prefer to make it more unique - and don't forget about the free Greatsword proficiency or the two cantrips - but there's going to be a little overlap with red dragonborn, given that duthka'gith are defined by being, y'know, githyanki/red dragon halfbreeds.
>>
>>55283172
Sounds extremely gay so I wouldn't include it
>>
>>55283290
Well, if it's literally red dragonborn, but with claws, a weapon proficiency, and two cantrips, it's incredibly overloaded. You're about to be down $10.
>>
How do I run indoor encounters so that they don't always end up as battles for the chokepoint that is a door?
>>
>>55283312
Just make rooms without doors.
>>
>>55283312
Why would choke points be a big deal?
>>
>>55283312
Just narrate all the players entering the room completely before starting combat

Alternatively, remember that a choke point goes both ways
>>
>>55283301
Except, 1, Dragonborn are NOT, by lore, half-dragons of any sort, and 2, Dragonborn are amongst 5e's most underloaded and pathetic races.

Seriously, the dwarf and fucking halfling get more shit than dragonborn do.
>>
>>55283312
have walls be blown out, holes in the ground or roof, have the building or cave or whatever start to fall apart
>>
File: 1497394537006.jpg (36KB, 1000x607px) Image search: [Google]
1497394537006.jpg
36KB, 1000x607px
>>55281156
>DM gives our slowest player a few new tools.
>Every turn takes ages because of that shit.
>Still fumbles on the D20 bit.

I cannot fucking understand how people don't get you roll a D20 when making an attack when they've been playing for 7~ weeks and their character doesn't even have spells. All they can do is fucking D20 -> 1d12 + 3 or whatever, but they still don't know.
>>
>>55283381
Wow, it's almost like they don't care about playing or something.
>>
First time DM. One of my players is a ranged fighter and his attack rolls are easily the highest at the table thanks to the archery fighting style. Is there meant to be some sort of penalty for making ranged attacks through allies/several bodies or is he just expected to hit every single time?
>>
>>55281156
>9 weeks

TRY 2.5 YEARS NIGGER

TWO AND A HALF YEARS AND THESE RETARDS STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TO ROLL AND HOW TO ADD UP DAMAGE
>>
>>55283337
>just delete player agency lolololololo

>>55283312
Have half-way competent enemies that post guards at doorways and utilize cc.
>>
>>55283401
I'd apply half/three-fourths cover to the target depending on the situation.
>>
>>55283401
Technically, if he is firing at someone behind another body of the same or larger size then they should get cover (+2 AC and +2 to Dex saves) and you could apply the Hitting Cover variant rule

Most people can't be bothered however

>>55283418
You are the one who has problems with your players always using choke points
>>
>>55283442
Not that anon, and I absolutely would not have problems with players using basic common sense tactics.
>>
>>55283452
I just assume that all players enter (unless one specifically says that they don't ) to speed shit up. If you prefer a more tactical game, thats fine, but I need to keep things moving as I have seven (7) players
>>
File: 1498633775410.gif (3MB, 413x233px) Image search: [Google]
1498633775410.gif
3MB, 413x233px
>>55283401
>We end up with a ranged Archer NPC in our game.
>Has a +7 to hit at level 1.

Absolutely mental, innit.
>>
I think ToA just released on roll20, for anybody interested
>>
>>55283476
Do you mean an Archer NPC from Volo's? CR 3 is a little high to hang out with level 1s
>>
>>55283488
No, it was just a random bandit that we straight up recruited, then the DM made him a character sheet as if he were any normal level 1 new character, albiet with a few weaknesses.
>>
>>55281648
This is a subtly fair point.

People want sorcerers to be fun and feel like what the class's fluff promises. It's not a problem of the balance of power, usually. They just come across as being shitty wizards, so people don't like them.
>>
>>55283488
+ 3 modifier, +2 proficiency, +2 archery fighting style, level 1 fighter.
>>
>>55283485
Reminder that Roll20's version is $50 while the physical book is $30 on Amazon and $25 on D&D Beyond and Fantasy Grounds.
>>
>>55283509
Weird. I'd have just kept him as a Bandit NPC until he got stronger
>>
>>55283525
And the Pirate Bay version will be $0.
>>
>>55283535
That's nice dear, now go get your helmet while the rest of us support the hobby and platforms that support it.
>>
Best way to build an undead-raising necromancer in 5e?
>>
File: JPEG_20170908_021156[1].jpg (282KB, 760x1344px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170908_021156[1].jpg
282KB, 760x1344px
>>
>>55283804
>Acererak, the interdimensional arsehole

Well there's only so much to entertain you when you're an undead wizard.
>>
>>55278403
>>55278446
>is like that of
doesn't establish that one and other are the same. The only thing that upholds this point is your desire for my argument to be flawed. This is the actual crazy part of the discussion. Nothing I said establishes a logic that based on the method of Paladins receiving divine magic, everything else looking similar must use the same quality of energy as well. You totally disregard the source of magical energy, which is the core of the entire argument. It's like you're missing the point on purpose just to spite someone. So what if the link looks similar? The being who poses as patron doesn't provide divine magic. If they did, the warlock would probably cast divine magic. But that's not the case. It's not even part of my logic. Why do you keep bringing that up?

>transform their rage into a mantle of primal magic
Primal magic. As in nature. Their rage shapes the magic. So yes, the source is nature and not their emotions.

Divine energy needs to come from divine beings or nature itself. Druids and Rangers cast divine magic but do not have to revere particular gods for that. They are provided by nature, just like in the case of Storm Herald Barbarians. Oath of the Ancients Paladins are most likely the same in that regard. It fits perfectly since it's divine energy again.

Now please expand on what kind of fey creature, who isn't a divine being, provides divine energy in a way that doesn't channel nature itself.

>grief and desperation
I have no idea what you're referring to here. Are you talking about Vengeance Paladins? Those receive divine energy from divine beings who serve righteousness. Lawful gods and angels would fit that.
>>
What would you consider the must have skill proficiencies, regardless of class?
>>
>>55284123
Perception.
>>
>>55283312
Fireball through the open door. AOE tends to discourage bunching up at doorways.
>>
What's the best way to bait a DM into wasting the legendary resistances of Red dragon (as a bard)?
>>
>>55283403
Did all these idiots fail fucking GCSE maths?
>>
>>55284126
>>55284123
Perception is just Good. If you make the players roll perception to notice stuff like hidden doors and loot, then it goes from Good to straight up Virtually Essential. I generally only call for perception checks to counter someone's attempted Stealth or Sleight of Hand rolls so not having it isn't a crippling non-combat disadvantage.

Other incredibly useful skills are stealth, athletics and acrobatics. With stuff like knowledge skills or perception you can get by with only one player having it (and then tipping off the rest of the team). Having everyone able to climb walls, sneak past guards and make daring leaps means you'll rarely need to split the party and risk leaving someone behind.
>>
>>55284123
Besides the very obvious perception, enough things grapple/restrain in this game that having a good athletics or acrobatics is incredibly important a lot of the time.
>>
>>55284263
I don't know, but i'd consider suggestion.
>>
>>55284263
Your typical wisdom saves like Polymorph are your best bet. The only bad save for a red is Intelligence and there aren't a lot of crippling intelligence saves in the spell list.
>>
Who is the strongest god? Asking for a group of Orcs tired of Gruumsh letting them down.
>>
So is Tomb of Anihilation up yet?
>>
>>55284138
How as a player would you deal with a mob of enemies? Cleave, grenades, fireball, lighting bolt. Cloudkill or Hunger of Hadar work for area denial.

I like to have "Counter Strike smoke" as a houserule to encourage using tactics like Darkness or pocket sand to disrupt enemies. Leaving a zone of zero visibility (such as a dark room or cloud of smoke) provokes attacks of opportunity. So if you blind a group of enemies you can wait for them to stumble out of the cloud and tear them apart with crossbow bolts in response.

Then again, that ties into my general tactics of deliberately overtuning encounters but giving the option for environmental tactics. Stuff like throwing enemies down a flight of stairs, or making called shots to dismount enemies.
>>
>>55284361
Looking at the bard spell list, phantasmal force could be interesting. Only second level, Int save based, the DM could take the bait on that one.
>>
>>55284368
Ao. God of gods, doesn't actually get anything out of worship and just presides over the other gods. It can and has simultaneously bitchsmacked every single god in existence.

Outside of that all the greater deities are similar enough in strength as to be indistinguishable. Ostensibly Mystra should be the most powerful
>>
>>55284453
Phantasmal Force is a weird one because it relies ENTIRELY on how your DM judges the wording of the spell. Nothing stops the creature from considering any of the other enemies as bigger threats based on the damage it's taking and shit. It's always finicky that way.

If your DM likes to play into stuff like that then it's super potent, if not then it's easy to just treat as a shitty ongoing d6 psychic damage.
>>
>>55284263
Anything cheap to cast that's debilitating.

Blindness/Deafness is only 2nd level. Dissonant Whispers is 1st level and forces them to flee you, but still does a little damage if they save. Faerie Fire makes them easier to hit. Pyrotechnics can blind as well.

If your DM lets you, Detect Thoughts is an Int save that might be ruled as 'detecting' who it wants to attack or how it plans to attack.
>>
>>55283804
give us the beasts pls!
>>
>>55284458
Yeah Ao's off the table seeing as mortals aren't supposed to know about him.

Mystra wasn't the answer I expected but I like it. Basically my Orcs generally idolize power and what better way to get power than with magic? Now that I think about it I don't need to stick with one god. Individual Orcs would probably be drawn to the likes of Torm, Horus, Bahamut, Corellion, Moradin for their power. Orcs I think would be especially drawn to Chauntea not just because of her god level but also because she is the land, aka the one thing Gruumsh was never able to give his people.
>>
>>55283804
Mind posting pics, or at least basic details on the Ring of Winter and Archaeologist background?
>>
>>55284479
Don't know the DM well enough to say, might be a big risk going for phantasmal force then.

>>55284489
Faerie Fire and Dissonant Whispers are great, especially Faerie Fire as the group has two Rogues.

I think that there's real mileage in Detect Thoughts, as the Dragon arose under weird circumstances, and Cutting Words means I can really push the DM to use Legendary Resistance on either of the two saves.
>>
>>55284536
The thing about Mystra is she has Elminster and like a dozen other super wizards at her beck and call. No other god can match her influence on the mortal plane on that alone. Plus she's the only one stopping idiot mortals from casting god killing spells so that's got to count for something.
>>
>>55278148
Zombies have an ability that represents that kind of thing. Could use a form of that.
>>
>>55285209
New thread
Thread posts: 416
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.