[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osr/ - Old School Renaissance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 293
Thread images: 76

File: 1488246294147.png (7MB, 1665x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1488246294147.png
7MB, 1665x2048px
Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General!

>Trove:
http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
>Online Tools:
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp
>Blogosphere:
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous Thread:
>>55191179
>>
>>55257449
What I mean by that is just let them know the knowledge checks. For the more esoteric things, like "What is this ancient dead language?" or "I dunno what this artifact does", that's fine, let them seek out help, but for other things, like "what type of mushroom is that?" or "What is the etiquette for speaking in an elven noble court", I think you should just let them have it.. But I guess my mind went to the space of "Hurr durr, roll to see what a goblin is", as I tend to get into a lot of discussions with modern gamers to poison their minds with the delights of old school.
>>
File: tumblr_opexc2A7Xq1qct1ygo1_1280.jpg (111KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opexc2A7Xq1qct1ygo1_1280.jpg
111KB, 1080x1350px
Gimmie your best Castle Dungeoncrawls that aren't Ravenloft.
>>
File: rpg.pdf (74KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
rpg.pdf
74KB, 1x1px
I made a one page thing. It's just the rules I use at my table formatted nicely for new players. It's pretty much just Searchers of the Unknown with Carcosa dice and some flavor shit.
>>
>>55257560
Ravenlof-FUCK.
>>
>>55257656
Nah, I've run three groups through pretty much all of Ravenlof-fuck. Don't see what's so special about it.
>>
File: LZ3saR.gif (7MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
LZ3saR.gif
7MB, 400x300px
>>55257656
>>
>>55257513
Where the fuck is the thread question?
>>
File: I thank you.png (234KB, 840x708px) Image search: [Google]
I thank you.png
234KB, 840x708px
>>55257689
It's probably the fact that it's so unique and dynamic for it's time. If you're looking for another great dungeon crawl, but are okay with low-level, might I recommend "In Search of the Unknown"? I recently ran through it, and even though the map is insanely complex, the design is rich with detail and interesting and unique items.

What didn't you like about Ravenloft? Maybe if we start there, we can help better.

>>55257721
Pic related.
>>
>>55257763
I'm >>55257560. I actually like Ravenloft quite a bit, I'm just looking for other castle-based dungeons.
>>
File: waitwut.jpg (79KB, 456x582px) Image search: [Google]
waitwut.jpg
79KB, 456x582px
>>55257800
I hear good shit about Castle Amber, but haven't run it.
>>
>>55257763
>I recommend "In Search of the Unknown"? I recently ran through it, and even though the map is insanely complex
Too complex for me
>>
>>55257730
choose one:
Where is the discord link?
or
How many coins and scrolls links will we see this time?
>>
>>55258103
I choose the second one
>>
>>55257522
Ah okay. Yeah that's basically what I'm doing except I'm probably a little stingier with information than that. For example an elf might know what the etiquette for speaking at an elven noble court is, but a human or dwarf wouldn't unless they were an ambassador.
>>
Whats your favorite magic system?
>>
>>55257857
>Too complex for me
>Explicitly designed as a beginner dungeon
>>
>>55258451

Spell systems that are either abilities or simple rolls. Or maybe something classless with spells just being items or general effects anyone can learn.
>>
>>55258451
DCC.
>>
I have a question about level 0 funnels. Do you just use any old dungeon with them? Or should you use something smaller? Most dungeons seem rather big to run through with 20 odd level 0s. Do you level the survivors past a certain landmark? Please enlighten me.
>>
>>55258561
It was badly designed
>>
>>55258451
Vancian.
>>
Anyone could share Castle Oldskull? huge adventure generating tables, deal of the day on dreyvethroo, but me poorfag...
>>
File: RUNES.pdf (225KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
RUNES.pdf
225KB, 1x1px
Reposting my stuff.
RUNES - short little splat about runes.

>>55257560
Keep for Sale from Dungeon (or was it Dragon?)
>>
File: VILE VENGEANCE OF THE BEES.pdf (266KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
VILE VENGEANCE OF THE BEES.pdf
266KB, 1x1px
>>55257585
I need to see more about the miracles or rituals but unlike most one-page D&D attempts I'm not disgusted by it.

>>55258959
VILE VENGEANCE OF THE BEES - low-level adventure.
>>
>>55259015
DUNGEON PLANET Preview Edition - part of a megadungeon.

>>55258627
Generally speaking, any 1st-level adventure can be run for 0-levels but I expect 75% casualty rate. In practice, it's better to design an adventure for 0-level PCs. Leveling occurs after they escape from the dungeon with sufficient treasure or they kill the "boss" of the module.
>>
Are there any treasure generators that are suitable for a silver (or copper) standard?
>>
For Maze of the Blue Medusa, what assumptions does it make about AC? As in what is the standard AC in the module, and is it roll under or over?
>>
>>55259334
Maze of the Blue Medusa is for LotFP AFAIK. It's ascending and the unarmored AC is 12
>>
>>55259471
I think that he module was published independently of LotFP, but looking at the module itself that seems to be right. I was just confused because the preface only talks about HD rather than AC. Thanks anon!
>>
>>55259302
Why can't you just divide treasure found by 10 (or 100, or 1000) based on your standard?

>>55259334
Well if unarmored cannibal critics have AC10 and a giant animated stone hand has AC18, what do you think?

use some common sense and DIY attitude, both(?) of you, yikes
>>
>>55259551
Is that compatible with realistic prices for goods?

What I mean is, for example (I haven't seen generators with this, so it's a little contrived) if you generate an ingot of gold, that's 50 gp in my system maybe. Dividing that by 10 would give you an ingot of gold that's worth a 5 gp, which isn't really realistic since you can get 50 gp worth of gold out of it. Now, for gold it's simple enough to just say instead of an ingot of gold you get an ingot of silver. But for things like gems?
>>
>>55260035
>realistic
Realism is a meme. Consistency is all that matters.
>>
>>55259334
Pretty sure they write something about that in the beginning of the book.
>>
File: Oku - token.png (153KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
Oku - token.png
153KB, 420x420px
>>55259334
>>55259471

It's system agnostic (in so much that its for any old D&D retroclone really) but it appears to use ascending AC with unarmored at 10. So if you are playing using LotFP I would add two to each AC, most other games just leave as is. The Monster's to-hit bonus is also equal to their HD and a few other basic's about their stats are on page xi
>>
I know it isn't really OSR but how do people feel about classless games with stats?

Seems pretty simple and fun. If you roll high strength, you'll just play a fighting style character. High wisdom? Healer. And so on.
>>
>>55261714
I'd rather have a statless game with classes, honestly.
>>
>>55261802

Why is that?

Not arguing, honestly just want to know why.
>>
File: fungus goblins preview.jpg (120KB, 479x354px) Image search: [Google]
fungus goblins preview.jpg
120KB, 479x354px
>>55254287
>Can someone explain the Scrap Princess meme to me?
You know the kind of people who can convey a Thing with just a few lines? Scrap is one of those people. They have art. Possibly capital-a-Art. It skips the whole "this is a drawing of a bird" and just says "BIRD" to your brain.

But your mileage may vary. I totally see why it's divisive.

>>55254545
So the end result is that unless it's a topic like GLOG that has dedicated retards who sperg out every time it's mentioned, you only hear from the people who like it. That's the best way; but it does mean you can't use it as a basis for estimating popularity.
Exactly. It's just... stuff.

>>55255349
I think we've gone over this before but
>HP is awful. I don't think HP only based on CON is a good idea.
It's amusingly swingy, but honestly, the swingyness of the Death and Dismemberment table cancels it out. Most of the deaths in my games would have happened if the PC had 2HP or 50HP.
>Convictions
Agreed. I chucked 'em.
>Good night's rest restores all HP, lunch restores HP
It's very useful to help PCs track rations and time. It avoids the "10 minutes of adventuring, 2 days of healing" thing. And it incentivizes creature comforts and eating weird meat.
>1 save
You could think of all the Stats as Saves (ala the Black Hack) with Save as the value for stuff you could only escape by fate or luck
>roll a natural 1 on your death and dismemberment and gain HP? No thanks.
Yeah, I got rid of that too.
>obsession with scars?
IDK man, Arnold loves scars and poop.
>SPELLS. It's basically the "annoying postmodernist blogger" thing.
That's the fluff, not the GLOG, but we've been down this road before.
>"diseases are caused by petty spirits"
Worked pretty well in real life!
>monster sheet uses weird symbols instead of something sensible
Agreed SO MUCH. Man, what was he thinking?
>>
>>55262197
>capital-a-Art
Audibly fucking keked.
>>
File: Old Old School.jpg (212KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
Old Old School.jpg
212KB, 600x350px
>>55256146
>What skill system do you prefer and why?
Skills that are mostly professions or hobbies or background knowledge.

If you have it, you a) Know Stuff (the GM will just tell you if you ask, or the GM will ask if anyone has the skill and tell them)
b) Can Do Stuff (like make basic items or write letters or whatever).

If there's doubt, or if failure might be interesting, the GM can call for a roll against Intelligence (or another Stat if another stat could also apply, player's choice)

(I haven't ever found a crafting system that feels right, so fuck it, PCs aren't ever going to be fantastic at crafting. So it goes.)

No social skills, no lying skills, no sneaking, hiding, or trap-disarming skills. Lock-picking and pick-pocketing sure, but the rest is all stuff like Cheese-Making and History and Courtesy.
>>55258144
Probably none. I'm busy reviewing and editing the latest adventure I wrote, so I probably won't post for a few days.

Probably.
>>55260035
Realistic is silly. Just go with consistent and quick and easy to estimate.
>>
File: hb_1982.147.27.jpg (624KB, 1970x1500px) Image search: [Google]
hb_1982.147.27.jpg
624KB, 1970x1500px
>>55262288
>Audibly fucking keked.
Weird shit gets qualified as Art. I am not the one to adjudicate that mess.

(For the purposes of OSR games, Capital-a-Art is worth 100x more than regular art to a discerning buyer. You need the Art or History skill to tell them apart, and if you fail the roll, you might think the deranged scribbling of a drunk orangutan are Art. The worrying part is that you still might be right.)
>>
>>55262197
>You know the kind of people who can convey a Thing with just a few lines? Scrap is one of those people
That's highly circumstantial and depends very much on frame of context. He's good at that, because consciously or unconsciously he can take the most characteristic element as judged by your and his respective frame of context and distill his drawing down to that.
>>
File: doggo adventurer.jpg (237KB, 612x828px) Image search: [Google]
doggo adventurer.jpg
237KB, 612x828px
So /osrg/, how do you tie together a dungeon?

I've already got a good enough explanation or the 'why' a dungeon exists, and why they players are going in.

But then I reach a snag. When you have a dungeon, several long stone featureless corridors and rooms with different monsters and traps; what should you do to tie them together? Some kind of elemental theme? Change some of the designs a bit? I'm looking for suggestions.
>>
>>55262416
>So /osrg/, how do you tie together a dungeon?
use a rope
>>
>>55262416
The theme should spring from the why. If it's a tomb holding a demon, put it demons and demon-worshipers, if it's a decommissioned golem storage put it golems and creatures that could live off them, etc.
>>
>>55262197
>It's very useful to help PCs track rations and time. It avoids the "10 minutes of adventuring, 2 days of healing" thing. And it incentivizes creature comforts and eating weird meat.
Well, that explains why your players ate bugbear. Although in my experience at least in the (non-OSR) game I play in, it's usually not too hard to get people to eat weird dungeon monster as long as it's not too far off. I think they've eaten roast giant spider and ankheg at the very least.

That said, I don't really like the idea of incentivising that with free hit points. Makes it too easy in my opinion. I'd rather use --- say --- you get your hit points back when you sleep, but you get reduced hit points for certain things like not eating.

>dedicated retards who sperg out every time it's mentioned
I mostly just think the garbage fire meme is funny
though it is an apt description
>>
>>55262319
As someone with the Art skill: Nah, Scrap's art is pretty much just scribbling.
I don't hate it, it has its own aesthetic. But there isn't a great deal of technique going on there.
>>
>>55262463

See that I get, but right now I'm having trouble decided.

So far my dungeon only has two kinds of enemies; weird porthole zombies (glass window shows their heart, this is to test my new called show homebrew rules. Basically smash window with blunt weapon and stab with sharp for instant kill) and ghostly wraiths. I could switch one or more of these out.
>>
>>55262491
Sounds like the dungeon theme is "weird undead experiments", in which case I'd steal stuff from Resident Evil.
>>
File: exellero-esfelinrae.jpg (209KB, 804x1200px) Image search: [Google]
exellero-esfelinrae.jpg
209KB, 804x1200px
>>55262467
>Well, that explains why your players ate bugbear.
NOT REALLY
They each had 5+ rations when 2 of them ate the owlbear. They... just wanted to see what would happen.
>. Makes it too easy in my opinion.
Despite these rules, I've had 10 PCs die so far, give or take. It doesn't really help.

I fill up encumbrance slots for not eating instead. Fatigue is mean. It means you can't loot as much... or carry all your gear... or, eventually, your weapons.
>>55262473
Experts are simultaneously the worst and the best at judging Art.
Plus, Scrap's put on actual gallery shows and sculpture stuff as I recall. The RPG thing is a side business.
>>55262491
Ok, so who put these guys here and why?
What do they do in the off-season?
What was the dungeon for, originally? Who built it? What were there needs?

You don't need to build a whole ecology, but you should at least have stuff be plausibly living together.
>>
File: Skerples.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Skerples.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>55262538
>Scrap's put on actual gallery shows and sculpture stuff as I recall.
People have literally shat onto canvas and put it in gallery shows. That doesn't make canvas-shitters "real artists" or better than classically trained artists. That fact that you always post classical art instead of post-modern shitscribbles speaks to the fact that you only admire Scrap because of his (her?) larger connection to certain OSR grandees you personally admire.
>>
>>55262538
Owlbear makes a lot more sense, actually. I'd be a bit skeeved out by eating bugbear.

>I fill up encumbrance slots for not eating instead.
¿Por qué no los dos?
>>
File: erik-the-red.jpg (47KB, 336x446px) Image search: [Google]
erik-the-red.jpg
47KB, 336x446px
I need some examples of OSR games with custom classes akin to the Elder Scrolls series. Anyone willing to help me out?
>>
File: tumblr_od06nnYJxT1sndzdgo1_1280.jpg (401KB, 1024x751px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od06nnYJxT1sndzdgo1_1280.jpg
401KB, 1024x751px
>>55262538
>Experts are simultaneously the worst and the best at judging Art.
Which leaves who exactly?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater of surreal or abstract art. And I can't say Scrap's stuff isn't distinctive, especially alongside Patrick Stuart's writing.
It's just... only unusual by virtue of having the audacity to just scribble shit rather than by having any particular technical ability.
>>
File: 1.png (262KB, 918x1182px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
262KB, 918x1182px
>>55262815
B/X
>>
>>55262612
>¿Por qué no los dos?
Double jeopardy, I guess? The PCs are already in plenty of jeopardy.
>>55262854
>Which leaves who exactly?
No one. Maaaaaybe history.
>>
>>55262610
>That fact that you always post classical art instead of post-modern shitscribbles
Most of the post-modern scribbles I've got saved aren't really applicable to OSR tropes.

The futile grind of existence, the meaninglessness of connection, the impermanence of any enduring legacy... aren't really tropes for OSR games.

But if you insist, I can switch...
>>
File: This_round's_on_Lem.jpg (176KB, 868x1000px) Image search: [Google]
This_round's_on_Lem.jpg
176KB, 868x1000px
>>55263056
>The futile grind of existence, the meaninglessness of connection, the impermanence of any enduring legacy
>implying any of those things are exclusive to post-modern art
>implying classical art hasn't expressed those very themes better already
lol
>>
File: tumblr_osf0f7wG5X1rqxd5ko1_1280.jpg (432KB, 1280x1116px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_osf0f7wG5X1rqxd5ko1_1280.jpg
432KB, 1280x1116px
>>55263117
Nah man, I'm just saying I've got classical art and modern generic art folders full of all kinds of stuff, but most of my postmodern stuff /I have saved/ isn't OSR applicable.

Got to read the whole post, anon.
>>
>>55258561
Have you SEEN the map of that dungeon though?
>>
I want to run a rogue like solo game for myself where pic levels are 1 to 5 and character progression is quick,say 10 encounters(fight,trick,trap) to go up a level.As far as magical treasure is concerned is a 1 in 6 chance per encounter of finding magical treasure too high or low?Note I am playing solo a bit like the Dungeonrobber Flash game.
>>
File: 1382629073805.gif (3MB, 235x180px) Image search: [Google]
1382629073805.gif
3MB, 235x180px
>>55263653
>>
File: 1498438335335.jpg (28KB, 600x675px) Image search: [Google]
1498438335335.jpg
28KB, 600x675px
>>55263653
>>
>>55263653
You should sort out how you're doing xp first, that's going to determine how the ratio of encounters:advancement there is.

Treasure for xp? Monster fighting? Both? From that you can figure out what class/level progression you're using and build a table that gives you about that much xp requirements.
>>
File: confuse cowpoke.jpg (32KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
confuse cowpoke.jpg
32KB, 480x480px
>>55263653
>I want to run a rogue like solo game
Well first you shou-

>for myself
-ld just play the Endless Quest gamebooks .
>>
I obtained physical copies of the PH, DMG, MM, and Fiend Folio for AD&D 1E. Is this all I need to run a 1E game?
>>
>>55264186
You need Unearthed Arcana too
>>
>>55264210
>using Unearthed Arcana
lol?
>>
>>55264210
I did find a copy of Unearthed Arcana, but it was written all over, so I passed on it. I'm trying to avoid buying them from eBay since they're overpriced compared to the prices at the used bookstores I go to. Are there any particular parts that are needed that I can just print out for now until I find a good copy?
>>
>>55264186
PH, DMG and MM are all you need.

>>55264210
>You need Unearthed Arcana too.
No, you really don't. There's nothing wrong with getting it and plundering it for ideas, but it's a bit of a mess, and it's completely unnecessary to run a 1e campaign.
>>
>>55264271
>he doesn't specifically buy the written-in copies to meditate on the nature of human mortality and how entertainment allows us to form connections with other across time

baka desu family
>>
>>55264305
>>55264186
You might want to consider getting the Monster Manual 2 as well. You don't need it, but it gives you a wider range of monsters to use, and isn't as... peculiar as the Fiend Folio.
>>
>>55264305
Okay, thanks for this bit of info.

>>55264311
I like my books cleeeean.

>>55264326
I have my eye out for it. I found the FF for $2, which is why I have it but don't have the MM2.
>>
>>55264377
Basically, the Fiend Folio is different people's pet monsters, so they tend to be a bit weird, and have more powers and shit. There's nothing wrong with that, but they're mostly special things as opposed to base-level monsters, which means that, in my experience, the Fiend Folio gets comparatively little use.
>>
File: 2.png (976KB, 888x1256px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
976KB, 888x1256px
>>55264420
Speaking of Fiend Folio, it's kind of weird that all the OSR hipsters don't know about the other White Dwarf monsters. They put out some interesting stuff.
>>
>>55264420
>>55264706

I think that the FF has better art than the MM, but that seems to be all it really has going on for it.
>>
File: goblin classes.pdf (58KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
goblin classes.pdf
58KB, 1x1px
>tfw nobody cared about my goblin classes

I would like to make more, but I'm not sure what creature/race to do next. Maybe Gnolls?
>>
>>55265098
Nobody cated about my OC either.
It's a bit gimmicky and I think it'd work better as a full-fledged goblin game rather than a splat.
>>
File: ibjzwOGSW1OY0o.gif (5MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ibjzwOGSW1OY0o.gif
5MB, 640x360px
>>55265258
>>55265098
I care!
I am just way too busy to read all the OC and offer comments right now. :( But I do skim it.
>>
>>55265258
>It's a bit gimmicky and I think it'd work better as a full-fledged goblin game rather than a splat.

That was sort of the intention. You have a Fighter, Rogue, and Offensive mage. The filth goblin isn't much of a 'cleric' but it can kind of turn 'clean' beings by how disgusting it is and could sort of help the party avoid damage by crawling into the sewer/dumpster first. Kind of fitting for a goblin 'support' class.
>>
>>55265098
>>55265364
That's just because 1. It's player oriented rather than referee oriented and 2. It's rather niche. If you made a dungeon, hexcrawl, random tables, or mechanics and procedures you'd have a wider audience rather than "oh hey goblin classes". I think the only noteworthy idea here is deciding classes based on lowest stat. I think everything else could be easily imagined and could be come up with by someone who wanted to make a goblin class. If you are gonna do Gnolls make the classes something people couldn't come up with in less than 10 minutes on their own.
>>
File: B1 upper level simplified.png (176KB, 693x857px) Image search: [Google]
B1 upper level simplified.png
176KB, 693x857px
>>55258561

The original map does have a "fill in every grid square on the grid" feel. A Dragonsfoot user named Mike re-did the map so that it retained the described rooms but removed much of the map's complexity. It's worth checking out as it improves B1's utility a lot.
>>
Does anyone else feel like all the skill systems in osr games are lacking? Thief skills feel really limiting to other classes, and I'm not a fan of how inflexible 1d6 chances are. Is there anyway to fix this? Even new games like lotfp dont seem to be fun to use.
Obviously you shouldnt be rolling skill checks very rarely but all the systems ive read seem like poor afterthoughts stapled on
>>
File: 60429N_BlackDeath.jpg (399KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
60429N_BlackDeath.jpg
399KB, 1280x720px
>>55265702
See>>55262293
Skills are just Stuff you Know or Stuff You Can Do. No social skills, no trapfinding skills. Most of the time you autopass unless failure is interesting.
>>
>>55262197
Speaking of the GLOG, I've been fancying it for a while now and I've been wondering if my own little hacks/houserules are any decent.

Specifically I really liked this post on using Luck Points and a much simpler Skill system, though I'm wondering if anyone ran with it/a more experienced GM with a keen eye notices any issues with it. One thing I may change if it gets too ridiculous at later levels (assuming my game gets there) is make it so you only regain LP when you sleep.

http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2017/02/mechanics-discussion-luck-points-and.html

Other house rules I've considered is getting rid of Defense (seems like a pointless addition IMO) and allowing mass multiclassing. Basically they can choose A B C or D versions of the Templates at leisure and mix and match as much as they want. I feel like the whole class bonuses and abilities that are entirely based on how many Templates of a Class you have would be enough to discourage Frankenstein monster classes, while at the same time allowing players a little more customization.
>>
>>55265862
Anon why are you posting pictures of Pathfinder books in the OSR thread?
>>
>>55264966
Fiend Folio's art is generally more offbeat and interesting. The Monster Manual's art varies from good quality to something a 3rd grader scribbled on the back of his Social Studies workbook.
>>
>>55265862
Your hack is starting to sound like my hack
>>
If I want to play a mostly mundane rogueish type that uses tactics and alchemical/otherwise mundane items accompanied by a crossbow, is OSR the sort of thing I'd want to look at?
>>
File: SAGE magic.pdf (79KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
SAGE magic.pdf
79KB, 1x1px
How do you feel about this magic system? I'm using it tomorrow for my game group and I'd like to iron out and kinks while there is still time.
>>
>>55267185

If you play with a cool OSR DM, then yes.

If you play with a bad OSR DM (most of the ones ITT) then you'll be told you are a THIEF with PERCENTILE SKILLS and told anything else is special snowflake REEEEEEE
>>
>>55267230
Do you know of a good DM that'd be willing to take on a player?

I've finally escaped the fucking hellpit that is Pathfinder, and I'd like to give OSR stuff a shot again. I did a bit of S&W a while back, and it was nice, but the group I'd been with sort of just didn't like it for some reason.
>>
>>55267230
>>55267257
For reference, if you're familiar with the series The Chronicles of Siala, then Shadow Harold is basically what I'm talking about here, minus the PLOT weirdness about being a Shadow Dancer and the whole Master's thing.
>>
>>55267230

Don't be so butthurt. It's a fact that RPGs draw in autists.
>>
Anybody have any photos/scans of hand-written character sheets? I'm curious to see how other people handle writing out their character sheets if they don't use premade ones.
>>
>>55257560
Castle Ravenloft is unrealistically huge -- which is fine and even good, since it's in a shadow dimension of yada yada ruled by the guy who owns the castle, but it's hard to defend a regular-size castle as a dungeoncrawl on its own, so there aren't many. The ones I know exist are disappointing TSR products, like Castle Caldwell (one floor laid out in a totally boring and implausible way) and Castle Amber (better content but still only one floor and no real appearance of a castle, it's more like a château).
>>
>>55267187
Looks pretty mechanically solid, and while it doesn't have wild and wacky spells, at least I can see using them all.

I don't think Warning is a good spell as it steps on thieves's toes and I'm not sure when you'd 'cast' it.

One thing that might become an issue is wizards who have cast some spells already just sitting there fizzling their action away each round hoping to roll high but that's partially just players being dumb so I would not worry about it unduly
>>
>>55265679
There are two of room 26..
>>
>>55265098
It would probably see some use in a "No, John. You are the dungeon dwellers" campain, if I ever gonna have one.
>>
I found this online when searching for wilderness generation tables.
http://www.adnd3egame.com/documents/DMG.pdf
But while it has the same cover as the 1e DMG, the interior is completely different than my copy of it other than the picture of the unicorn. Is this fan-made? Or a different version (somehow)? I'm leaning towards fan-made particularly given the domain name and the ISBN. If it is, where do the rules come from? Particularly the wilderness generation table --- I could swear I've seen that somewhere before.
>>
>>55271426
Got a list of some good table finds?
>>
>>55271498
In that book? I'm looking at p261 (266 in the pdf) has a good wilderness terrain generator as I said. But a lot of the appendices seem pretty useful. As is the treasure map generator. Not going through all of it right now though.
>>
What software do you use to make maps?
>>
When do you roll HD?

When the encounter begins?
Pre-rolled per monster in the dungeon?
The first time the monster takes damage or a turning attempt is made?

Which is best?
>>
>>55271966

Dundjinni
Hexographer
Dungeonographer
Campaign Cartographer
Hex-Kit
Photoshop

>>55271967

Encounter begins
>>
>>55271967
I roll when the encounter begins.
>>
>>55271966
Inkarnate
>>
File: Shepard's Crook layout.png (18KB, 457x454px) Image search: [Google]
Shepard's Crook layout.png
18KB, 457x454px
>>55271966

MSpaint.
>>
How does the glog class ABCD shit work? Im reading over the pdf and i never see him describe it
>>
>>55272511

I don't understand how someone could be so mentally incontinent they couldn't understand as simple as GLOG templates.

The first level you have of a class, you take template A

If your second level you take the same class, then you can take Template B. If you instead pick a different class, you get template A of that second class.

It's not hard, retard.
>>
>>55272287
You should upgrade to paint.net www.getpaint.net

Inb4 shill, it's free as shit.
>>
>>55271967
I actually roll all random encounters ahead of time and form them into a list, and then I roll the HP there. Then when I'm playing, I make a check for wandering encounters and if it's successful, I go down the list. I store maybe about 8-10 encounters this way, and if I run out, I call for a "break" at the next moment and roll more as needed. If it's close to the end of the session is the only time I will roll a new one on the spot.
>>
>>55271967
Encounter begins UNLESS it's some 1-2HD punk, then I get my jollies by seeing if they can roll over the damage they take when first hit and survive

UNLESS those 1-2HD punks have subcategories determined by HP, then it gets rolled beforehand.

Example
Goblin
1HP- trainee goblin. Notably runty, armed with a shank, them dying doesn't force a morale check among other gobbo.

2-3HP- Archers, spear-throwers, rock-hurlers. No shields & or lighter armor. Run away if something closes to melee with them, but if not pursued will sneak back and continue sniping.

4-5HP-As per regular stat block, risk melee for glory and first dibs on looting/eating enemies, and prioritize this over killing enemies.

6-7HP- squad leader/2nd in command goblins, generally the leader with a rusty sword, armor, and shield, and the 2nd in command 2-handing a spear and maybe 'accidentally' stabbing the leader if the opportunity arises.

If the entire group has 6+ HP they are Goblin Adventurers, each trying to outdo each other in vicious ingenuity and harebrained schemes. Snakes on sticks, wearing barrels as armor/disguises, throwing burning oil (or worse, vials of green slime), imbibing bootleg potions of heroism that cause blindness and berserk rage, dual-wielding braided-bladed-hair-whips, using sharpened and malfunctioning wands as shanks, and so on and so forth
>>
>>55272937
Also trainee goblins have no clothes, let alone armor.
>>
File: hell no deer.jpg (173KB, 601x665px) Image search: [Google]
hell no deer.jpg
173KB, 601x665px
>>55272937

>Using d8s for hit dice
>>
>>55271967
>Pre-rolled per monster in the dungeon
Saves time in game. Could roll at the table if you want, but why?
>>
>>55271498
The Horde has a good caravan generator
Calimport and City System have city generators

>>55271966
MSpaint

>>55271967
Before the session for "fixed" encounters, right when encountered for "random" encounters.

>>55272511
Just use the tried-and-true class system that everyone is fluent with because of 30+ years of use instead of some hipster's shitbrew.
>>
Does anybody else dislike how high spell levels go? I don't feel that 9 is necessary. Shouldn't 4 or 5 be more then enough?

First level spells are weak but you get a lot of them.
Second level spells open up new possible effects, slightly less common then first level.
Third level spells are where you start getting the 'good' shit, but you have to manage them.
Fourth is for your signature really strong spells.
And finally 5th would be for your campaign ending extremely powerful spells, but you only get one or two slots of it.

There's no real reason this needs to be stretched out to 9 spell levels.
>>
>>55273297
Yup. A lot easier to have meaningful divisions in 1-5, 1-9 gets too arbitrary and hard to determine, and also just sticks stuff 'out of reach'

Like, Wish. Who the fuck has ever cast Level 9 Wish legit? I don't like a lot of things about LotFP, but 'A Spell to Grant One's Heart's Desire' is wish done right

Though I've come round to the style of 'fuck spell levels' in favor of spell power, which is increased via a sort of higher risk/cost=higher reward system that theoretically any wizard can pull off with the right prep and maybe some luck

Lessay, Sleep

Regular cast is just sleep
Juicing it up lets you hit a single large target or basically all regular <4HD targets in sight
Cranking it into overload makes it put people into Sleeping Beauty comas
'Twisting' it makes it affect things metaphysically. Don't have Remove Curse? No problemo, get a witches eyelash and you can cast Sleep on a curse, negating it so long as the curse isn't woken back up.
>>
>>55257560
not OSR but Castle Drachenfels
>>
I want to make thieves more useful by turning them into Rogues with ranged weapon ability.

How should I do this? Just a simple +1 to hit with ranged weapons that improves every couple of levels? By using a special ability? What?
>>
>>55271966
Paper and pencil.

If I absolutely need to make it using technology, I use GIMP.
>>
>>55273207
Would that be the tried and true class system that starts a shitstorm every other thread? The one that might be fighter-thief-wizard or fighter-thief-wizard-cleric or maybe even fighter-wizard-cleric? That one?
>>
>>55274483
>starts a shitstorm every other thread
Not really. I think you confuse people chatting about classes for them fighting about it

And no one fights about what classes are "authentic". It's common knowledge that it'sit fighter-thief-wizard-cleric. The thief is not in OD&D and some people play without clerics, but few question their legitimacy
>>
>>55274141
>Paper and pencil
I see you are a man of culture as well
>>
>>55274483
>fighter-thief-wizard
Never existed in any oldschool edition of D&D, only used by asshurt atheists who can't religion in their elfgames.

>fighter-wizard-cleric
Existed only in OD&D and thieves were added within one year of the system's existence.

>fighter-thief-wizard-cleric
The standard core of D&D classes for literally 40 years which has permeated the fantasy genre and has become recognizable to nerds everywhere.
>>
>>55274483
>Would that be the tried and true class system that starts a shitstorm every other thread?
Fighting-man and Magic-Users only
>>
>>55275779
remove the magic-user and it's perfect
>>
>>55275856
>Everyone is the same
boring
>>
File: Searcher of The Unknown.pdf (53KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Searcher of The Unknown.pdf
53KB, 1x1px
>>55275856
>>
File: Cauldron #0 artless.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Cauldron #0 artless.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>55275779
>>
File: pc1.png (3MB, 1583x2252px) Image search: [Google]
pc1.png
3MB, 1583x2252px
>>55275925
Everyone-is-a-magic-user, is actually pretty fun, like in Chthonic Codex.
>>
>>55275713
>Never existed in any oldschool edition of D&D, only used by asshurt atheists who can't religion in their elfgames.

No faggot, it's used because it has become the new basic class lineup in tons of video games, pop culture, and so on.
>>
I'd like to write up a table, monsters of a theme, or random encounters. Any requests?
>>
File: tumblr_omnueiOAfQ1rqxd5ko1_1280.jpg (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omnueiOAfQ1rqxd5ko1_1280.jpg
1MB, 1280x1280px
>>55266849
My hack too. Fuck.

I figure "Luck Points" are a thing for Thieves (to compensate for being kind of less than useful in the feudal system). The Lucky rerolls are it though.

Skills are:>>55265739

Defense is Ok and allows for adapting other modules quickly. Otherwise, no real benefit.

Free template choice could lead to optimal builds, especially if one template says "gain improved X". Multi-classing is a pretty decent benefit all on its own. Thief 2 Ilusionist Wizard 2 is scary. Paladin 2 Anything 2 is good.

>>55272511
There are four templates for each class, labeled A through D. You gain these in the listed order: you cannot gain Fighter B unless you have Fighter A. If you want to multiclass, just take a template from a different class (so a Level 4 PC could have Thief A, B Fighter A, Paladin A). You get one template per Level. You cannot have more than 4 templates.
>>
File: hexen.jpg (145KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hexen.jpg
145KB, 1440x1080px
>>55276168
Single-player video games tend to drop the cleric because there's no need for a support class when you're playing alone, though it's common to have them in party-based or multiplayer games. That said, I know at least one game which uses the OD&D arrangement.
>>
>>55276319
hard mode mutation table
NO animal characteristics
NO 'supernatural' characteristic like laser vision, only thy own flesh, deformed and grown afresh
>>
>>55275713
>Never existed in any oldschool edition of D&D, only used by asshurt atheists who can't religion in their elfgames.

That's where you're wrong dumdum
anyone can pray to anything for miracles, but you only get responses if you have been a faithful servant of that thing/otherwise got on its good side

my game has no clerics because EVERYONE is potentially cleric, because roleplaying god interactions like that is the best, but a CLASS that's just a fighter with boring-but-necessary support spells is the worst
>>
>>55276322
>Free template choice could lead to optimal builds

Well iirc correctly, ideally GLOG classes offer unique, active abilities that are 'incomparable' and encourage different styles of problem solving so this shouldn't happen unless we've been flinging shitty comparable mechanical passive bonuses onto our homebrew classes and saying 'yes this is good and cool game design'

From what I've seen of various hacks, this doesn't seem to be the case.
>>
>>55276885
>>55276322
I know the default Fighter has "+1 to attack" for Template A and C so I think I'll change that by making it so you only get +1 attack for every 2 Fighter Templates you have to discourage munchkins. Maybe add one or two new abilities for those templates in their stead.

Also I'm gonna probably change the Dodge ability for Acrobat because IMO I think it's fucking ridiculous and way too good. A Wizard could take one level of that and end up running around in their Robes with as much defense as the fucking Knight in Plate with lel no Encumbrance.

Probably set it so it's based on how many Acrobat Templates you take, so someone who invests fully in Acrobat can get as much defense as Chainmail, but we won't have Wizards with invisible Plate Armor running around.

Other than that the only thing I have to really change is get rid of the upgraded abilties some classes have for later templates and I think it'll work fine..
>>
>>55277370
Honestly I think Acrobat is surviving only due to goofiness, memetic nostalgia and amusing flavor. I have trouble imagining anyone going for Acrobat instead of Thief.

Dodge could be a good secondary fighter ability. Even naked, still dangerous, + gives an angle for people who want to barbarian/swashbuckler/monk it up, but is still inferior to chunky armor MOST the time.

Redirect could also be a fighter thing, because I'm of the opinion that it's really hard to make fighters overpowered, and if someone wants to be a Fighter/Thief it's nice to give them a sneaky option like that instead of the other things which are a bit more Chunky Hunk Spelunk

Catfeet/Polecat is an obvious thief thing- maybe call it 2nd story man. It's also honestly another ability that could feel like a really lame use of a template if the GM doesn't make verticality common and relevant.

Great Escape has hilarious flavor but honestly I think it's a meh ability that would go underutilized all too often, especially by players unfamiliar with meta stuff like that, and Greatest Escape works better as a post TPK plot hook for the entire party imo
>>
File: saigo_by_regourso-dbdcv3j.jpg (745KB, 1320x1795px) Image search: [Google]
saigo_by_regourso-dbdcv3j.jpg
745KB, 1320x1795px
>>55277370
Yeah, Arnold confirmed that +1 Attack was to the stat, not to attacks per round.
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-class-fighters.html
My version is a bit different than his. The +1 attack per round is powerful, but the Fighter class as a whole is a trap.

> A Wizard could take one level of that and end up running around in their Robes with as much defense as the fucking Knight in Plate with lel no Encumbrance.
True. I also just made it so that Defense is based on
1) 10+ armour bonus
or
2) 10+Dex
So wizards get to wear plate. So what? Plate has downsides.
>>
Any LotR-themed OSR games?
>>
>>55277899
>Plate has downsides.
>>
>>55277987
Balrogs & Bagginses
BECM with the Mystara setting
>>
>>55278151
Thanks mate
>>
File: 1465200195335.gif (6MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1465200195335.gif
6MB, 480x270px
>>55278049
That is a good table... but who the hell writes like that?

Anyway, yeah. Drowning. Extra time in the morning. Running away. Clanking. More clanking.

Sure, you're hard to kill in a fair fight... but who the hell fights fair?
>>
exploding dice on natural 20 for fighters- cool idea, or nah?
>>
>>55278290
this guy
https://joeskythedungeonbrawler.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/hears-your-stinkning-barbarian/

Not a good blog even if you like the gimmicky voice style tbqh but might be worth a laugh
>>
>>55278682
give 'em exploding dice on every damage roll, I'm sure it won't break nothin
>>
File: 1253753813587.gif (478KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1253753813587.gif
478KB, 280x210px
>>55278742
I considered giving Barbarians exploding damage dice, with the stipulation that any overkill damage was dealt to adjacent targets including allies.
>>
>>55278290
>but who the hell writes like that?

Obnoxious nu-OSR hipsters high off of Raggi & Co.'s farts. Who needs editing and quality control when you can just charge money for a copy/paste of your campaign notes into a barely formatted or proofread PDF filled with boring clunky homebrew rules, random swearing, and all the unwarranted sense of smug self satisfaction you can possibly stomach.
>>
Is there a reason for descending AC? Like does anyone actually prefer it over ascending AC, mechanically speaking? And if so, why? I bought BFRPG and one of the main reasons I did is because it has ascending AC.
>>
File: IMG_1358.jpg (144KB, 1300x866px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1358.jpg
144KB, 1300x866px
>>55277789
>>Chunky Hunk Spelunk
Now I know what to call my No-Homo Dungeon Module

>>55278777
This is a dope idea and I'm gonna steal it
>>
File: Chen drowsy.png (25KB, 228x239px) Image search: [Google]
Chen drowsy.png
25KB, 228x239px
>>55279185
>I bought BFRPG
>buying
>BFRPG

As expected of an ascending AC baka!
>>
>>55279268
It was like $6 CAD mate.
>>
File: Here's a (You).png (188KB, 462x533px) Image search: [Google]
Here's a (You).png
188KB, 462x533px
>>55279277
Baka baka!
>>
>>55262815
ACKS's class creation system comes to mind. Very good if you want an Elder Scrolls style class building system. Races are of course bundled with that.
>>
>>55279185
>Is there a reason for descending AC?

Literally because Gygax stole it from some other game, I prefer ascending AC, but it's not so much of an issue that I'm going to convert to it for every game.
>>
>>55279185
I like it because it adds a cap to the AC for a game. It can also be more intuitive if you use roll under for skills as well.
>>
>>55278899
>Who needs editing and quality control when you can just charge money for a copy/paste of your campaign notes into a barely formatted or proofread PDF filled with boring clunky homebrew rules, random swearing, and all the unwarranted sense of smug self satisfaction you can possibly stomach.
Sounds like a legit gg homage then.
>>
File: gygax.jpg (24KB, 250x335px) Image search: [Google]
gygax.jpg
24KB, 250x335px
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>55279505
>>55279800
>buttblasted Raggidrones trying to tear down Gygax

I roll to save vs. laughter.
>>
1. Oozes are slime molds that evolved to inhabit a predatory niche in underground ecosystems.

2. Oozes are the protoplasmic slime that arose from the seas at the dawn of living time.

3. Oozes are “grey goo” nanobot swarms built by an advanced, futuristic race.

4. Oozes are the remnants of a forgotten, primordial deity who was smashed into billions of globules during the Chaoskampf.

5. Oozes are the spawn of the demon king Jubileks, but they are too simple to be good or evil.

6. Oozes are extraterrestrial parasites that were shed by their host when it visited the Material Plane millions of years ago.
>>
>>55280185
>1. Oozes are slime molds that evolved to inhabit a predatory niche in underground ecosystems.
>2. Oozes are the protoplasmic slime that arose from the seas at the dawn of living time.
>4. Oozes are the remnants of a forgotten, primordial deity who was smashed into billions of globules during the Chaoskampf.
>5. Oozes are the spawn of the demon king Jubileks, but they are too simple to be good or evil.
Fine.

>6. Oozes are extraterrestrial parasites that were shed by their host when it visited the Material Plane millions of years ago.
Lame.

>3. Oozes are “grey goo” nanobot swarms built by an advanced, futuristic race.
Shit.
>>
>>55279843
>saves vs laughter
this is some Lejendary Adventure shit right there
>>
File: 10 hardcore mutations.pdf (52KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
10 hardcore mutations.pdf
52KB, 1x1px
>>55276526
>>
>>55276526
>>55280349

>1d100:
1-50: Malignant Tumour
51-100: Non-Malignant Tumour
>>
>>55276526
1. Rows of teeth begin to break through the skin, pushing themselves up from deep within your muscles. A dissection after your death reveals them to be scattered everywhere throughout your body.

2. Patches of your skin start to change color. You become splotched, like a cow. Albino-pale right next to deepest Africa black.

3. Wounds heal over with bone instead of flesh or scar tissue. The engines of cell death and reproduction have run amok. More and more of your meat is replaced. You will die within seven years as your ribcage closes tighter around your heart; you will likely be near immobile before that.

4. Keratinous growths break out all over your skin, starting at your extremities. Your face, your hands, your feet. If not continuously cut back they will eventually cover your entire body. Dextrous work becomes nearly impossible as your fingers scab over. They threaten to cover your eyes. You have to spend an hour a day with blade and file to keep them cut back.

5. You begin to sprout a thin, hairless tail, an ancient atavism brought back to life by the flip of a switch deep within your genes.

6. Your eye sockets begin to close over with skin. It takes a knife to keep them open, or re-open them. Hope you have a steady hand.

7. Random bulges of red, veiny, sensitive flesh. Wearing armor is incredibly uncomfortable. They bruise with ease, at bleed profusely at the slightest nick. Just a bad deal all around.

8. You become pale, and your blood stops clotting. Every wound just keeps bleeding. Minor injuries become life-threatening without prompt medical attention. It's probably time to find another line of employment.

9. You start growing taller, but not any wider. Your limbs as well. You seem to have a wider range of motion in your joints. You become a stick-insect caricature of a man, too tall and too thin and moving oddly. Like a Thin Man from XCom.
-
>>
>>55280719
10. You start suffering physiological reactions to certain stimuli. You break out in hives when someone says 'kobolds'. Your foot cramps up whenever you smell marigolds. Probably a few more you haven't discovered yet.

11. You start growing eyes all over your body. You can see out of them... sort of. Murky greyscale, like from the bottom of a muddy pond. They certainly hurt like eyes when poked.

12. You begin growing far too much skin. Ever-increasing rolls of it, draped off your form like too-large clothing. It sort of shifts around a bit when you rub; the ligaments connecting skin and muscle have become weak and loose. It hasn't started actually falling off, though. Not yet.
>>
>>55271426
AD&D3 is definitely a fan project yup.
>>
How do I explain to my players that "you go into dungeons to get money because that's your job basically"?

They're only used to going into dungeons for quests or plot related reasons, not the OSR style of grabbing treasure.
>>
File: grognard magazine.png (3MB, 2086x2486px) Image search: [Google]
grognard magazine.png
3MB, 2086x2486px
>>55280853
It's the only way to level. Nothing else but looted treasure grants XP.

So fighting is not important. Looting is important.

But if they want to play in a more narrative quest-driven game... OSR might not be for them. It requires a change in mentality.
>>
>>55273297
>Does anybody else dislike how high spell levels go? I don't feel that 9 is necessary. Shouldn't 4 or 5 be more then enough?
LBB OD&D goes up to level 6 spells for M-Us and level 5 for Clerics. It's actually really nice.
>>
>>55280853
Normal jobs are shitty and take a lifetime of work to gather the treasures an adventurer could gather in a month.
Brigandry gets the loot but alienates you from every level of society.
Frame it as a bunch of down-on-their-luck wannabes and has-beens acting out of desperation.

>>55280941
>he says this when almost every TSR module is quest-driven
Skerp, can you stop spewing shit from your mouth for five seconds?
>>
File: Dragon Banking.jpg (2MB, 1824x3888px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Banking.jpg
2MB, 1824x3888px
>>55281382
>Skerp, can you stop spewing shit from your mouth for five seconds?
I thought I was busy sucking my own cock? /tg/ can never seem to decide what I'm doing.

Anyway, he wanted an explanation and he got one. It might not be the "right" explanation for all cases, but it's an explanation, and it does work.

>>55280853
Alternatively, you owe an enormous debt to the World's Most Evil Dog
http://falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2016/04/who-will-stop-worlds-most-evil-dog.html

And you need to get a lot of cash in a hurry.

Alternatively, your PCs were hit by a roving court: http://falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2017/05/encountering-wapentake.html
And also fined heavily or some bulllshit.
>>
>>55280853
Its not your job. You do it so you don't have to have a job. Other options for non-nobles include dirt farming, getting levied to go die someplace while your dirt farm gets looted, or weaving enough baskets that you try to sell to ignorant dirt farmers.

Fuck that. Time to go into the underworld and get some loot. And then blow it all on bad decisions so you have to go into the underworld again.
>>
>>55280853
I like the explanation The Nightmares Underneath uses, it's dungeons are literal Nightmares made Real, anchored to reality through Cursed Objects that need to be taken from the Dungeon in order to kill it, said objects often are also valuable in some manner, not to mention any other loot that will be located in the Dungeons, so the party will have a professional reason to go into the dungeon, and not just because the local government told you to do it
>>
>>55277789
>>55277370
Work on the multi-class hack is going alright so far. But I've ran into a bit of trouble with the Assassin and the Thief class. They are both so similar, both give +1 stealth and 2 free skills, and they both really deserve the Opportunist Ability that it feels like players will be able to mix and match abilities or get double Opportunist. I've decided to get rid of the Opportunist skill for thieves and instead worked on these abilities in their stead.

>Fight Dirty
>Whenever your opponent is in a compromised or vulnerable position (distracted, prone, unconscious) you may perform a combat maneuver for free.

>Hotpockets
>As a combat maneuver, you may pickpocket an enemy. The target will make an opposed Wisdom roll to see if they notice you rummaging around their bag.

Feel like this is a pretty good combination for a dick ass thief and could lead to some amazing moments from a creative player.
>>
File: Operators Operating.png (59KB, 1038x444px) Image search: [Google]
Operators Operating.png
59KB, 1038x444px
>>55283241
I ended up getting rid of the Assassin class completely in my hack, after 2 rounds of testing. The "study a target to gain bonuses" thing didn't work /at all/ with an exploration-based game. Assassins would be great in a political game or one based in a city. They seem to be utterly useless in a dungeon.

I also gave Thieves the ability to evaluate most valuables with a skill/Int test. Want to detect magic? Ask the Wizard. Want to know how much that emerald is worth? As the Thief.
>>
>>55283241
>assassin as an individual class and not just a profession that fighters, thieves, wizards, and even clerics and whatever other strange classes exist get into due to having experience with both violence and their own survivability

I disapprove and predict anyone who wants to be an 'assassin' in the form of a black-wearing edgelord who uses poison daggers and gets really awkward making eyecontact and so only fights via backstabs and nuthin personnels will only attract that guys

Maybe your assassins aren't a weird-ass cliche pasted from a vague sense of the pop culture chimera of ninja and hitman into a fantasy world. But. But.
>>
File: 1496313890793.jpg (243KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1496313890793.jpg
243KB, 750x750px
>>55283349
GLOG assassins are a mix of spy, stalker, and...
>a black-wearing edgelord who uses poison daggers and gets really awkward making eyecontact and so only fights via backstabs and nuthin personnels
and that.

I mean, all the feat things are cool ideas and mechanically sound, but they're very ivory tower OSR design in that they sound great on paper and are really dumb and unsynergistic at the table.

Your mileage may vary, etc, etc.
>>
>>55271967
>When do you roll HD?

Never--I assign hit points.

Usually something like: half the monsters of a given type get HP equal to the average of what their HD would yield if rolled, a quarter get 33% of maximum possible HP, and the remaining quarter get 67%. Adjust if there is something about a particular encounter that warrants it.
>>
I found both the players handbook and the dungeon masters guide written by Chris Perkins for the fan created game.I cannot find the unearthed arcana book he did also;could some kind soul please post it?Thanks.
PS I also found his cool 5E version of the player's guide.
>>
File: concerned doggo.png (770KB, 638x638px) Image search: [Google]
concerned doggo.png
770KB, 638x638px
>designing a dungeon for my group tomorrow
>pretty sure it's shit

Oh well.
>>
>>55284978
Please share it so that we can confirm it's shit.
>>
>>55285024

I know you're one of my players trying to get some hints, well don't count on it. I'll share it after it's been used.
>>
>>55285104
Damn, busted.
>>
Any interesting new releases in the OSR scene? Good new games? Cringey LotFP dungeons? Some juicy shitstorm?
>>
>>55285147
Hot Springs Islands is a nice tropical hexcrawl, it qualifies as interesting new release.
>>
Long shot: Does anyone have the old Empyrea.zip file that Frank Mentzer posted back in the day?
>>
>>55285147

The new Barrowmaze megadungeon The Forbidden Caverns of Archaia (Forbidden Caverns or FCA). comes out like in a week.
>>
>>55285147
>Cringey LotFP dungeons?
It's going to be a while before anyone tops Blood in the Chocolate.
>>
>>55285147
Gathox Vertical Slum's out as a book. Might pick it up. I liked the blog and I'm a sucker for sword & planet.

>>55285182
HSI does seem fun. The use of one of the books on the player end is a neat idea.

Shitstormjuice is probably whatever zak/rag said in their gencon interview? Seems like they enjoy getting people mad and people enjoy being mad at them.
>>
File: MMC_Kovacs.png (1MB, 777x1005px) Image search: [Google]
MMC_Kovacs.png
1MB, 777x1005px
Anyone run MCC yet? Thoughts on it? Gonna do my first session tonight and it looks fucking rad.
>>
Lessons learned from my last game (Caverns of Thracia, GLOG):

Prepare voices beforehand: Figure out the voices for the major tribes (Gnolls, Lizardmen & Cultists).

NEVER EVER FUDGE. Just let the ooze eat them. The players might have fun, but you will feel dirty afterwards. Also, you teach them that they win if they fight stuff.

Try to be more descriptive. Capture the feel of ancient Minoan catacombs and vast natural caves. Take extra care to describe the darkness (use the darkness-fluff from Veins of the Earth).

Make extra sure that all players can shine.

If the players encounter an enemy wizard, use exactly as much destructive magic against them as they used this session. I.e. no restraints.

Find a good "I loot the body"-table. Anyone got ideas?
>>
File: IMG_20170312_214629.jpg (56KB, 750x564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170312_214629.jpg
56KB, 750x564px
>>55288467
>>
File: GLOG.jpg (77KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
GLOG.jpg
77KB, 312x445px
>>55288399
>GLOG
>>
How do you substitute Cleric for an non-combative Priest class in order to give it a more Hyborian age feel?
>>
File: 2015-09-28.gif (212KB, 816x501px) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-28.gif
212KB, 816x501px
i still dont understand what glog means
>>
File: Infinite_Trinkets.pdf (744KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_Trinkets.pdf
744KB, 1x1px
>>55288399
Sounds like you had fun.
What do you mean by making sure all the players can shine? I hear that sometimes, but am less sure of it in osr context. Not fudging rolls is key though.

Random shit to find on bodies tables are all over the place. I like this one, tends to make odd things the players can figure out how to use.
>>
>>55288524
Goblin Punch's homebrew. Its a blog with a lot of ideas, tends towards the diyartweirdos side of osr. GLOG is about 3/4s of an actual ruleset, needs some work. Some people like it, some people don't. Its current meme.
>>
>>55288609
I had a lot of fun and the players also seemed happy. We only played for 2,5 hours but we got a lot done (god bless light-weight systems!).

Sometimes I feel I focus to much on players that are similar to me mentally. We think the same way, which makes it really easy for them to have an idea that I like. And then I get carried away with it until I realize that I have spent a lot of time focusing on them and their idea to the expense of other players. So next game I'll make an effort to bring in the players who I don't immediately "click" with.

This sounds like a huge problem but in practice it's a minor thing that i noticed nonetheless.
>>
>>55288662
fucking namefags
>>
>>55288697
Lightweight rules to save time is one of the big reasons I got into osr. Also dank maps.

I tend to just throw situations at the players and let them sort out how to solve it. But we're all friends with some semblance of social skills so it doesn't seem like anyone's being left out. Mostly I just ask whoever's been the most quiet what they're up to when there's a pause.
>>
File: 29351450916_2f831f6dcb_o.jpg (958KB, 800x1236px) Image search: [Google]
29351450916_2f831f6dcb_o.jpg
958KB, 800x1236px
How well can a non-D&D derived game like WFRP or RuneQuest do oldschool long-term exploration based dungeon crawling?
>>
File: Untitled.png (468KB, 885x1088px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
468KB, 885x1088px
>>55288516
My go-to alt divine class is Fantastic Heroes and Witchery's Friar. No actual spellcasting, he's just an itinerant wandering holy man with the ear of the common man and the ability to call down divine favours that get more powerful as he levels up.
>>
>>55275713
>only used by asshurt atheists who can't religion in their elfgames.
Or people who feel that the cleric doesn't have a tight enough role compared to the other 3

Or people running more "historical" settings where it is stupid for the church to have readily-available miracle workers

Or people who don't want Christian baggage for their in-game religions
>>
To everyone ITT: what is your go-to game? The one you play most often?
>>
>>55292914
D&D 5th Edition
>>
>>55293030
Same, actually
>>
>>55292914
I go with BFRPG for quick dungeon crawls, my players really like it.
>>
>>55288185
>Gathox Vertical Slum
I've never heard of this, who made it? Can you describe it, or link to the blog? I love sword & planet too but I've totally missed this.

Planet Algol booklet when
>>
Does /osrg/ play in person or online?
>>
>>55293177
In person, but we're going to try online soon.
>>
>>55292914
Dungeon Crawl Classics

>>55293177
In person mostly, but I play on roll20 with one group.
>>
>>55292914

Pathfinder unfortunately.
>>
>>55289104
>WFRP
Extremely well. Be aware that the PC power curve stops at about level 4-5, though.

>RuneQuest
Not at all. Runequest is a heap of shit.
>>
>>55292914
It used to be the Rules Cyclopedia but I'm drifting toward LBB OD&D.
>>
>>55292914
Currently LL but it'll be my shitbrew once that's done.
>>
>>55292914
B/XtfP with some bullshit tacked on, moved around and made up as need be.

>>55293094
>Gathox Vertical Slum
>http://mutantsofgathox.blogspot.ca
It looks neat. I saw it a while ago and forgot it existed, then it popped up again. Planet Algol book would be dank. The Metal Earth's got a bunch of cool stuff for sword & planet too if you haven't seen it.

>>55293177
In person. Lucked out, tricked my friends into playing nerd games with me, now they like it.
>>
>>55293638
ouch
>>
>>55294153
>Runequest is a heap of shit.

Please elaborate. I was thinking RQ6/Mythras.
>>
>>55294579
>Please elaborate.
I don't really know anything about the new ones but old Runequest is just dull "realism"wank crap. Basically it's the first game ever made by the kind of nerds who think they're too good for the gamey elements of D&D, so they took out all the parts that made it a fun and playable game and replaced them with a heap of dust they found in Steve Perrin's house.

The combat manages to be lethal and unremittingy boring to play at the same time, the magic sucks, and the rules for skill improvement are based on practice and totally unrelated to any entertaining thing you might want to do as a player, so it incentivizes you to have your guy just sit at home and practice if you want to get a good character.

The best pricniple for game design I ever heard is that the optimal way to play should also be the most fun. Runequest manages to make the optimal way to play the most boring. It's doesn't even offer the dubious amusement of autismal rule juggling that 3E does.

Maybe the new ones are less atrocious, though, I don't know.
>>
>>55294748
>the rules for skill improvement are based on practice and totally unrelated to any entertaining thing you might want to do as a player
>the magic sucks

Eh. That's a dealbreaker then. I'll stick with LL or maybe Beyond the Wall.
>>
>>55294823
Yeah, if you want to branch out from D&D-based stuff WFRP is an infinitely better choice.
>>
>>55294823
Even if you don't use Beyond The Wall as-is, there's a bunch of good shit in there for campaign/world building and how to make adventures built in to character creation.
>>
>>55295006
It's the spellcasting system that I'm interested the most in.
>>
>>55294823
>LL
what is that? sorry for the dumb question
>>
>>55295193
Labyrinth Lord, the most popular B/X clone.
>>
>>55295279
thanks mate
>>
So how do you gents introduce completely new players to the OSR? How do you introduce modern gamers to the OSR? How do you get them to not die in a heart beat?
>>
>>55295715
give them an IQ test. if they score above 85, they'll be fine
>>
>>55262416
Sounds like you're tripping up a bit on the design due to the craftsman ship. Try this: Get rid of the stone corridors completely. Either have all rooms be connected to all other rooms directly, or have corridors that aren't made from stone. Then just ask why it is and what made it like that. Do this even if the area around it is pure stone or a stone structure of some sort.
>>
>>55295715
>So how do you gents introduce completely new players to the OSR?
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-introduction-for-new-players.html

>How do you introduce modern gamers to the OSR?
The same. They don't get special perks, although I might discuss the difference between character/background driven narrative and progress-based narratives (as in, it dosesn't matter if you're a Tiefling Thief whose parents died in a Tragic Backstory and you have a +4 bonus while juggling melons. That's not important. What you do is important. The story starts now; anything before that was just chaff.)
>How do you get them to not die in a heart beat?
Let a few of them die in a heartbeat. The rest will learn from their mistakes. It's why room 5 of TotSK has a "Save* or Die**" trap.

*With bonuses and easy ways to avoid the trap and stuff.
**Or just be mangled, depends on the group.
>>
>>55294579
>>55294748
I think the realism wank works if you have a table full of players who already have a passion for whatever you're doing in your campaign.

Old school D&D offers a mild skinner box that lures people into behaviors that create story.
>>
File: 100 classes pyramid.png (3MB, 3154x2493px) Image search: [Google]
100 classes pyramid.png
3MB, 3154x2493px
So I made a ton of classes before for these threads, and usually I write out magic/supernatural class abilites as powers or other abilites that scale with level instead of using a spell system.

How do people feel about these? Have you actually used them in play, or would you give those classes a general spell slot system to go on top of their special abilites?
>>
File: anthony-jones-anthony-jones-91.jpg (70KB, 742x960px) Image search: [Google]
anthony-jones-anthony-jones-91.jpg
70KB, 742x960px
>>55297137
How about adapting something like this? http://maziriansgarden.blogspot.ca/2017/08/unfamiliar-familiars.html
>>
Ran my first ever game of actual OSR today (as opposed to OSR-influenced 3E).

Used some sort of unholy combination of rules from all manner of sources including Mentzer Basic, RC, AD&D 1E Monster Manual, AD&D 2E Monstrous Compendium, and various blog posts.

I've been wanting to run something for a while but all of my worlds that I've made I've gotten too into building the world that the themes of the world prohibit play. So this time I decided that I would do pretty much everything randomized. I used Lungfungus's random hex generation system with AD&D3's terrain system, a random dungeon from donjon (and the rules for Lungfungus's random dungeon generation in case my player went somewhere else --- I gave him opportunities for other things but he fortunately went for the one I had the prepared dungeon for). I also used Lungfungus's encounter tables. I don't think I'm going to do that again --- the party ran into Weird almost immediately (one hex out of town!), and the stats were for the GLOG which means they aren't really compatible with anything else.

One character died from poison, one character was disfigured by acid (using Courtney Campbell's Table for Avoiding Death with my own death rules and Ten Foot Polemic's as well) and almost died, but lived to fight another day.

The party went into every room in the first floor of the dungeon except the one which had the treasure. It's a good thing their encounter on the way to the dungeon earned them some money or they wouldn't even be able to eat this week!

On the plus side though they may have gained a potential noble patron. We'll see how that goes!
>>
File: zbaWHAJJ9ZuCc.gif (4MB, 544x302px) Image search: [Google]
zbaWHAJJ9ZuCc.gif
4MB, 544x302px
>>55298224
>Used some sort of unholy combination of rules from all manner of sources including Mentzer Basic, RC, AD&D 1E Monster Manual, AD&D 2E Monstrous Compendium, and various blog posts.
>>
>>55298224
Did you use that Random Monster Generation book, too, out of curiosity?
>>
I'm getting a real kick out of the Great Discape setting on Throne of Salt.

http://throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/07/setting-great-discape.html
http://throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/08/setting-great-discape-part-2.html
http://throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-great-discape-bestiary-1-of-3.html
http://throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-great-discape-bestiary-2-of-3.html
>>
File: OZBORN.pdf (931KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
OZBORN.pdf
931KB, 1x1px
I'm working on a location/dungeon/module/pretentious thing/art and if Skerpels can post his half written dungeon and get feed back then so can I! If you want to take the time to read through the attached PDF and tell me what you think I'll really appreciate it.!

>>55277789
I just renamed Acrobat to Martial Artist

>>55285147
I'm making my own module and no-one cans top me!

>>55298224
Yo! That's dope as shit! Also which encounter table of mine did you use? I have one specifically prepared for "Polite Lands" aka the area around towns. Which one did you use!?!?! Also what was encountered??
>>
>>55293177
Both.
>>
>>55299549
Haven't heard of that. Link?

>>55299603
I used this one:
https://melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/2017/06/wilderness-anecdote-and-encounter_27.html
I rolled up a conflict between 1d3 nobles (=2 nobles) and a Knight of Lymos.
In this case, it was a knight with a coffin strapped to his back who floated 6 inches above the ground and whose shadow spread towards the sun, who rode a mount with 16 legs and hands instead of hooves.

I suppose that it was a pretty rare occurrence now that I think of it to get something like that though! And it did certainly make a memorable encounter. And now I have a place called Lymos to put somewhere in the setting eventually.
>>
>>55292914

BFRPG
>>
>>55297137
I was actually confused by your 100-class pyramid PDF for that reason, I couldn't figure out whether the magic classes were supposed to get regular M-U spells or not. Some seemed to imply it and others not.

Tbqh I'm totally fine with "magic powers" classes but I'd like to see that clarified more explicitly in your writing. I understand that when you're writing literally a hundred classes the last thing you want to do is write three paragraphs for each one, but some of those could really use some specification of how you intended them to work.
>>
>>55299603
Oh baby, Ozborn sounds like my kinda town

>Unless characters pay a guide for safe passage through the streets of Ozborn there is a 1 in 6 chance of them slipping through
some shadowy gap into the dungeon of Lower Ozborn

Also you need to include something known as a/the 'Bastard(s?) of Ozborn'
Trust me on this one

I like where this is going LF, I like it a lot
>>
>>55258451

Freeform spells that drain some random HP just like mana; then you roll to see what happens.

Big spells take many consecutive spells or research, so you need many hp and you can fuck up the rolls at any moment.
>>
>>55299603
Your page layout is horrible. Leaving the margins blank is useful and good- you can start messing around with page layouts/spreads later in development, but should have a normal width margin while its a WIP document.

Rumours are a bit workaday. They don't give me an idea of how this city is unique in the way that tables from your listed inspirations do. One of the reasons these tables are useful is to give the GM an idea of the sort of thing they could use as a 'I don't have anything planned for if you go here' hook. The other half is telling the players what to expect from the city.
"Unless characters pay a guide for safe passage through the streets of Ozborn there is a 1 in 6 chance of them slipping through some shadowy gap into the dungeon of Lower Ozborn" is the kind of thing that should be on the rumour table.
"All those who walk the streets of Ozborns wear masks, both men and monsters" should be on the rumour table, as should " Only the sorcerers refuse to hide their faces".

Your 'things seen on the streets...' is sort of useless. Are these things seen because they're a super common feature of city life, or are they unique things? I think a common list would be more useful, and that you'd be better off giving a general description of the different city districts and their nature. If my players are in the district of the Mask Makers, what type of stuff do they see? A general table for the whole city should include only sights common to the whole city.
>>
>>55300650
So far, I can think of 3 things which belong on this list; masked common folk, masked monsters, and unmasked sorcerers. If you're making a 'random event on the city streets' it needs to be something relatively normal happening in one of those 3 groups. If you're addicted to tables, make a short one for each district, focusing half the table on how your main 3 groups interacts with the district's specific group (ie, you might see a commoner interact with a mask maker in X/Y way; you see a sorceror doing Z/W)

If all the common people are wearing masks, you need a big table of masks which runs the gamut from 'normal' to what you currently have. Probably 1/3 people should have something super strange- decide whether this is fashion, or something else. Actually, mask fashions are a good/useful idea ; do Black Kultists all wear black masks? If you can give GMs useful immediate inspiration to make on-the-fly created NPCs from a given district/class appropriately unique, that's super helpful.

My advice regarding the dungeon; don't work on it until you've finished with the city. Also, the other 2 dungeons in this area totally distract from the city. The point of having a hexmap around the city is so that while approaching/leaving the city there is stuff which links into the themes/culture of the city. Your main event is the city, and the dungeon which the players will get sucked into; other dungeons in the same area feel like a distraction. If you really want to keep them, rather than replacing them with other 'ordinary' hex results like in the rest of the key, I would suggest one of the following. Either make them interlink with the dungeon below the city, so that the players can get lost and end up accidentally outside the city walls, or make them "plot adventure" locations, where you tell a short and intentional story with more work put in. As is, they look/read like something I could get off Donjon's random generator.
>>
>>55300655
More questions/suggestions:
Where is the giant floating castle? Where is the chain anchored, and how do I get up to the castle by a back-channel?
Who are the Ax gang and what do they want?
A random generator for sorcerors and their retinues; a few 'these are important guys' written out bespoke seperately.
Who is the damn goblin? Where is he, what does he want etc? He's named specifically in the rumour table, so he should have some detail.
re: no sun - is this all the time inside the city also, or just on approaching the city? Why is this happening, and what would happen if whatever is causing this were stopped?
I would skip the 'Shadowy gaps to Room Y' - mark the dungeon map with points/gaps labelled A-Z: if the party wanders through a shadowy gap by accident they go to one of these points at random. If they are intentionally looking to go back to the dungeon through a specific gap by retracing steps through the city above, let them roll some sort of 'gap navigation' test, failure means they pop out through a random gap. This would preserve the 'Dungeon/city map correlation' you're clearly aiming for, while needing less cross reference to different areas' specific descriptions to work out which rooms/gaps correlate.
The links to corpathium etc. don't seem to work?
>>
>>55300576

I was honestly thinking about redoing them, but it would be a huge project. The pdf must grow.
>>
File: BlackHouse.jpg (345KB, 790x547px) Image search: [Google]
BlackHouse.jpg
345KB, 790x547px
>>55300665
>07 A black house floats in the room, inside a devil offers contracts of partnership
>hmm
Just say 'special magic mask' instead of contract. Also, do a list of special magic masks the players can get as loot.

room 9 is an example of a problem the dungeon has in a lot of rooms atm. It's a cool idea, but doesn't feel tied to the world due to a lack of information. Give a couple of detailed descriptors as to appearance (is he literally wearing a hat? What's his mask look like), and link him back to a faction in the city. You can imply narrative very easily in this way; saying "There is a man stretched out across a frame, within his body a great lens of blood shows other figures in other places. He was an Ax Gang member kidnapped by Black Kult and begs for the mercy of death" is IMO, more interesting.
>>
>>55259074
looking forward to seeing updated versions of Dungeon Planet.
>>
>>55300795
Thanks!
I think my next few efforts will be directed toward doing the zones adjacent to zone 1 and the first zone of the 2nd level.
>>
File: Best Girl.jpg (34KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
Best Girl.jpg
34KB, 300x279px
>>55300100
I figured it would be either those or the Ophidians. if that was the case. Do you want all of my notes for Lymos? Also hopefully the conversion notation below should help you make the monster states more usable.

Monster Statistics are given in the following notation:
HD – This refers to how many Hit Dice a monster possess and accordingly it’s bonus to hit
Def – This refers to the bonus a monster receives to its base armor class or defense rating
Dam – This refers to how much damage a monster deals with one of its attacks
Movement – This refers to the distance/speed with which a monster moves a score of 12 being equal to an unencumbered man
Save – This refers to a monster’s chance to ignore magical or mundane effects out of 20. This would be ignorable if your system of choice does not give monster saves if not for a Save statistic of 20 meaning a monster is immune to magic.
Morale – This refers to a monster’s likelihood to flee from combat in 20. Monsters who are able to roll below their morale value remain in combat after first blood drawn, one of their number slain, and the tide turning against them. Adjust accordingly if your system of choice uses a 2d6 roll for morale.

>>55300598
Next update will include those

>>55300650
>>55300655
>>55300665
I've never thought of Rumor tables as usable for GM usage outside of feeding PC's information. The three part breakdown of common folk, monsters, and sorcerers is a really good suggestion and seems like a much easier way of doing "safe" encounters. I was gonna add more basic or realistic masks and then a Ozborn NPC generator (visual aspects). I've been working on the dungeon when I'm tired of the city and vice versa to make better use of time. I was gonna fit more "all roads lead to Ozborn" into the dungeons. The Floating Castle is 4 on the city map, More info will be on the next draft about it and Ramirez the Goblin. The revision to Shadowy gaps seem much easier thank you!
>>
>>55285147
City Of Iron is working on their own clone of B/X - actually the exact B/X rules, but clarified and OGL

http://the-city-of-iron.blogspot.com/search/label/b%2Fx%20essentials
>>
>>55258451
ACKS
>>
I enjoy dungeons more than fiction.

I just finished Deep Carbon Observatory (amazing!) and realized that I enjoy reading dungeon modules. I like how things are ordered in a proto-plot. You start at the entrance, but your path quickly diverges from how a party would explore it. I like the interconnectedness, the references back and forth, how they are non-obvius and how most of the things will never be seen by the players, and that some of them I missed myself. I like to close my eyes and imagine how rooms would play out.

Are there fiction that is like this? Books which describe an environment, traveling trough the different locations. Could you write a decent murder mystery like this? Instead of the grizzled detective, you just get a description of the locations related to the case. The detective comes later, and what they do is left for the imagination.
>>
>>55304172
You might like Dictionary of the Khazars.
>>
The DCC book is huge. Is it worth getting, though? Like what makes up the bulk of the book if it's supposed to be OSR?
>>
File: swga.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
swga.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
Has anyone here tried this? How does it stack up?
>>
>>55304400
>Like what makes up the bulk of the book if it's supposed to be OSR?
Tons and tons of spells.
>>
File: 2302c3c38e0bc2c9ef45f35dd14c85c0.jpg (345KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2302c3c38e0bc2c9ef45f35dd14c85c0.jpg
345KB, 768x1024px
>>55304400
Tables and Spells and Tables about Spells.
>>
>>55305369
>>55304668
Would you guys recommend it? How does it feel vs something like BFRPG or B/X?
>>
File: tumblr_oejtpdTDz51sn3ne4o1_1280.jpg (680KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oejtpdTDz51sn3ne4o1_1280.jpg
680KB, 1000x1500px
>>55305401
It does the whole "pulpy gonzo weird-fiction" thing better than any other OSR game and has lots of really neat stuff to steal for your own game at the very least. Has a lot of mechanics that might seem gimmicky though, like dice chains and Mighty Deeds and the spellcasting system. IMO it's worth looking at along with the Modules and Dungeon Alphabet etc. just for the inspiration. You can find it all in the Trove.
>>
>>55305481
Thanks mate.
>>
>>55305481
This artist must have done some LSD +2.
>>
>>55305798
>dude you can only be creative with drugs XD
hate this meme
>>
>>55305832
kill yourself
>>
>>55306041
sorry to hear you need drugs to be creative bro. don't worry, i'm sure you'll make it in life anyway. we have lots of services for special needs """people""" such as yourself
>>
File: 1465432686676.jpg (51KB, 446x356px) Image search: [Google]
1465432686676.jpg
51KB, 446x356px
>>55306066
i don't do drugs at all. you obviously have anger issues though, maybe one of your parents abused drugs when you were a kid or something

at any rate, kill yourself. this is a osr general
>>
>>55306041
>>55306140
Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>55306140
i use drugs from time to time, and i have no real problem with the use of them recreationally, but i do have a problem with low IQ turds that use them in place of actually being a creative individual and assuming that anybody who is actually talented in terms of creativity is also using drugs as a crutch
>>
>>55306140
>>55306041
>kill yourself bro XD
hate this meme
>>
>>55300100
I'm not natively english, what's the difference between a track and a spoor?
>>
>>55306476
google.ca
>>
>>55306476
Tracks are prints left in the ground, snapped twigs and animal paths. Spoor is leavings, shit, fur, etc.

>>55306485
damn (you) thirsty
>>
>>55303876
>notes for Lymos
Those would be cool! I don't know if I'll end up using any of it or if I'll make up my own stuff for it but it would be interesting to know exactly what this thing is that I sent at my party.
>>
File: Narcosa-map.png (6MB, 2191x1607px) Image search: [Google]
Narcosa-map.png
6MB, 2191x1607px
>>55306160
>>55306140
>>55306066
While we're sperging about drugs, has anyone actually ran Narcosa? Seems like someone just took the psychedelia giant fungus weirdness and wizards=pot meme too far.
>>
>>55306554
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>55306554
I ran a single session in it, then the PCs decided they did not want to stay in this plane and fled to another one.
>>
Are there any good podcasts, videos, or streams of people playing OSR games in person and not over roll20? The only one I can find is a bunch of goofy-dad types getting drunk and killing the whole party through drunken mistakes.
>>
>>55307030
https://ggnorecast.com/
>>
File: Curse of Lymos.pdf (622KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Lymos.pdf
622KB, 1x1px
>>55306476
For mechanical purposes: you follow tracks towards something and spoors are just signs of something nearby.

>>55306527
See attached unedited monstrosity (It's VERY unedited)
>>
>>55307124
>These memes
>This unorganized format
I think I'll pass.
>>
File: 666.jpg (504KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
666.jpg
504KB, 1200x1200px
NEW THREAD

>>55309444
>>55309444
>>55309444
>>
>>55309457
Dude we're on page 1. Fuck off.
>>
>>55309495
Won't be soon. See you at the other thread in a bit.
>>
>>55306152
And take that shit back.
Coz all your shit's wack.
>>
>>55292914
Apocalypse World
>>
>>55307304
Awesome, thanks. Will take a look.
Thread posts: 293
Thread images: 76

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.