[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/STG/ - Star Trek General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 102

File: Disgusted Breen.png (233KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusted Breen.png
233KB, 500x498px
Breen Edition

Previous Thread: >>55184299

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page/Living Campaign rescources
>http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius%20Star%20Trek%20Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>http://pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>http://pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>http://startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>http://pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>http://pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP
>>
Links to ST novels please.
>>
LINKS TO MIRROR COMIC
or just post another

please
>>
>>55252778
I just looked around for this one comic i thought id post here.
It was about Mirror Picard taking the command of stargazer and was not really related to the previous comics.
Unfortunately, i couldn't find it.
>>
File: 1502156711435.jpg (104KB, 372x382px) Image search: [Google]
1502156711435.jpg
104KB, 372x382px
>>55251878
So there was some discussion in the last thread on how TNG failed to introduce the Ferengi as a believable villainous faction.

How would you introduce a new antagonistic species/faction in a hypothetical Star Trek series ? What would they be like ?
>>
>>55253671
It would be Romulan sympathizing Vulcans trying to destroy the Federation from within, descendants of some of the assholes we see in ENT.
>>
>>55251878
>breen
>that OP image
>not Thot Patrol Edition
For shane, /stg/ for shame.
>>
So with replicators being a thing, particularly industrial grade replicators, why does everyone still build their ships in yards instead of replicating them?
>>
>>55253671
Well I would start the introduction by other species around them. When the protagonist ship arrives to the area, they are met with friendly enough ships who suddenly open fire when they see the UFP symbol. The hero ship has to disable the attacking ships and further investigation the aliens think they are from aggresive people known as the Federation, which confuses the shit out of the crew.

The protagonists contact Starfleet and they think someone is trying sabotage the good name of the UFP and are given go to investigate further. They find out where this "Federation" space is from some friendlier aliens whose colonies lie near it's borders and fly their ship across the border. As soon as they have entered "Fed" space they are intercepted by very familiar looking ships that look alot like Starfleet ships from 23rd Century. ...to be Continued
>>
Captain Kirk is shitposting on Twitter again.

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/905447038694723584
>>
>>55254720
Industrial replicators aren't that big. Even with them you have to replicate pieces and put them together the old-fashioned way.
>>
>>55254720
Presumably, they do both, just replicate it in sections instead of the whole thing g at once.

It's probably fair to assume they don't have replicators large enough to build entire starships.
>>
>>55255462
>>55255485

Is there an in-universe reason you can't build a replicator that big?
>>
>>55255557
efficiency is probably an issue, but beyond that, I imagine it would be possible, I imagine it's mainly a difficulty thing.
Transporters don't exactly have infinite capacity either, you can't transport a starship for instance, and they're very similar technology.
However there are some materials that can't be replicated (Dilithium being a prime example)

That doesn't mean that some more advanced species didn't pull it off.
>>
>>55253671
I think the important thing for a good antagonist faction/race is to establish their goals and how they conflict with the protagonists'. The what and the why. With the Ferengi, they failed to establish either in a meaningful way. The first appearance of the ferengi had them gnerally interested in power but otherwise nebulous. subsequent appearances in TNG never established that the Ferengi had an active interest in destroying the Federation. They were dodgy traders and sometimes pirates, but that's basically it.

Similarly, the Suliban failed as antagonists in Enterprise because their goals were nebulous and even the principal cast didn't really seem to know why they should be stopping them. They needed a few visits from Captain TIME to keep them on track. While the Suliban were supposed to be the primary antagonists of season 1, the Klingons were a much more imposing and impactful enemy because we knew what they were about. Conquer weaker races and enslave them. Just as the development of the Ferengi in the first 2 seasons of TNG was completely overshadowed by the return of the Romulans.

So if I were introducing a new primary or secondary antagonist, I'd make sure to demonstrate how their plans are a significant threat to the Feds, as well as how they are capable of being a legitimate threat. That doesn't necessarily have to be their true end goal, but from they get go you need to feel like they could and would shit you up, given the opportunity. For my money, the introduction of the Jem Hadar and the Dominion was the best introduction of a new antagonist in all of Trek.
>>
>>55254871
>Message to Voyager
Fuck off, don't come back, tell the whale one it's not worth it either.
>>
>>55255680
A big advantage of the Dominion is how much more range their transporters have. I also always liked how the Cardassians had some brutal anti-boarding tech like 'transporter shredders'.

>>55256349
Yeah, having a clear goal is really important since Trek is all about clashing philosophies and it keeps you from trying to let your antagonists do EVERYTHING. You want four or five more specialized enemy groups instead of one superpower unless you're using a horror like the Romulans when they're not fucking around.
>>
Quick Survey: How bad of an idea is having a Chameloid supporting character? I really liked how Odo was portrayed in DS9 (outside of a few instances) and Chameloids seem to be the best option for a shapechanger that isn't a Founder. Now this all comes with the caveat that I don't want my players to know the character in question is not who (or what) they seem to be until either they receive some major injury or Starfleet starts going nuts with blood tests and other anti-changeling tests. That way there's a chance for the players to get to know the character before (possibly) throwing them out an airlock and/or exploiting their abilities.
>>
File: kipinä.jpg (11KB, 255x299px) Image search: [Google]
kipinä.jpg
11KB, 255x299px
>>55257798
By Chameloids you mean that one alien in Klingon prison planet in undiscovered country ?

You could actually dig into that. Have Chameloids be native to a planet deep in Klingon space or in contested area. That could explain why this particular Chameloid is on Federation business.
>>
>>55257798
That sounds dope. Another good fear heightener; there are OTHER shapeshifting species, who are all panicking as Starfleet goes full crazy with changeling tests.
>>
File: Martia_in_fur_clothing.jpg (369KB, 824x824px) Image search: [Google]
Martia_in_fur_clothing.jpg
369KB, 824x824px
>>55258107
Aye that's the one. I just gotta find an appropriate bit of art that won't give her away now.

>>55258135
That was my thinking too. It'll make the players really think if Starfleet's paranoia is harmful or not.
>>
File: Jaynz_Napoleon_2275.png (204KB, 1278x864px) Image search: [Google]
Jaynz_Napoleon_2275.png
204KB, 1278x864px
Quick! Favorite ships everyone! Federation, Klingon, Cardassian or otherwise!
>>
>>55254720
>>55255557
In Enterprise, we see a space station that uses a series of replicator appendages to repair damage to ships. Perhaps by the 24th century Starfleet is using something similar in their ship yards, instantaneously producing replacement pieces and then assembling them manually.
>>
File: shipfu.jpg (99KB, 1897x799px) Image search: [Google]
shipfu.jpg
99KB, 1897x799px
>>55259701
>>
File: Excelsior.jpg (688KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
Excelsior.jpg
688KB, 1920x816px
>>55259784
Beat me to it.
>>
File: pioneer.png (43KB, 477x358px) Image search: [Google]
pioneer.png
43KB, 477x358px
>>55259701
The comfiest of ships.
>>
File: excelsior.jpg (411KB, 2599x1327px) Image search: [Google]
excelsior.jpg
411KB, 2599x1327px
>>55259784
excelsior is the only acceptable answer
>>
File: USS_Appalachia.jpg (131KB, 760x487px) Image search: [Google]
USS_Appalachia.jpg
131KB, 760x487px
>>55259701
As if I could say anything else.
>>
>>55259701
>Federation
Gotta go with the Nebula. I just like the arrangement and proportion of all it's parts.

>Klingon
The K'tinga. I'm actually not a huge fan of the TNG aesthetic

>Cardassian
I mean, there ain't many to choose from. I quite like the look of the Galor anyway so yeah, that.

>Romulan
You know, I think I'm gonna go with the Mogai. Nemesis did a lot of shitty things, but introducing a new Romulan cruiser wasn't one of them.
>>
>>55259701
>>
>>55259701
>>
>>55259701
>>55260021
So, if we're doing multiple races, like >>55260446 did, then here's my updated list.

>Feddies
Steamrunner, natch.

>Klinks
Vor'cha, actually. Love that weird pitchfork thing. D7 is runner up though, just for classic looks.

>Cardies
The Keldon, probably. Big fan of the Keldon.

>Romcoms
Yeesh, not many choices here. If I can go with something from one of the games, I'll take the Griffin, out of the Armada series. If not, the Mogai then. Not a big fan of the D'Deridex.
>>
>>55260535
That's interesting, though the registry number makes no sense. Got more?
>>
>>55260600
>>
>>55259701

The D7 is king. Best looking Trek design even 50 years later. The K'tinga is also good.

But if we're doing multiple factions, then Excelsior, D7, and D'deridex.
>>
>>55260535
>>55260616
I like it...feels like a TOS-era Sovereign! All of the functionality (no flimsy necks or unbalanced impulse thrust), but with a clean 60s vibe instead of post-TNG shades of gray...

>>55259784
>>55259798
>>55259837
>>55260538
I remember seeing an Excelsior conversion with almost no neck, downturned nacelles, and an AWACS-style pod coming up from the nacelle hump that was pure bonerfuel...
>>
>>55259701
>Nova
Small, comfy, sufficiently loaded with space magic, comfy as fuck, sufficiently techy-looking to merit its scienciness, and somehow cute, too. Also, did I mention comfy?

>NX
Like an Akira on a diet, with better nacelle placement, and a deflector in a place that makes sense instead of a Sovvie's engineering hull growing like a tumour on the bottom of the saucer. I'm also a massive slut for the internal's NASA Trek aesthetics, too.

inb4 "pleb"
>Steamrunner is nice, but it's hardly recognisable as a Trek ship with the weird layout and the angular aesthetics. I really like the look, it's just not very Trek.
>Nebbie is nice but impractical - if it was smaller, say, Ambassador-scale instead of Galaxy-scale, I'd like it, although the justification for the kitbash (made using the bits of the Galaxy program that weren't expensive failures) is fair enough.
>Excelsior - I'm sorry - is ugly. I don't quite know what's wrong with it, but I think it's mostly because of how jarring it all looks. The teardrop engineering hull doesn't look good with the angular pylons, and a circular (instead of stretched) saucer for a ship that long is not a good look. Materials and internals are lovely, but I just don't like the overall design.
>>
Is there an in-universe explanation, canon or not, for why Andorians just stop showing up post-TAS?
>>
>>55261501
They went full-retard with the passion and honor and shit and by TNG there were only a few hundred thousand left.
>>
>>55261501
They stick to their own ships because sharing a thermostat with a Human, let alone a Vulcan, is deeply unpleasant for them.
>>
File: NX fix.jpg (115KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
NX fix.jpg
115KB, 700x800px
>>55261310
>deflector in a place that makes sense
The deflector should have been in the recessed area under the edge of said raised area-if it would have been too small, the raised region could run all the way to the edge of the saucer like attached pic
Also, the ship's name should be on the raised rectangular portion under the bridge, and the pontoons generally smoothed out (no impulse engines on saucer, bigger squared-off units a very stern)
Credit where credit is due, I got both ideas from
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/8b03d526-3790-4847-82ad-187155059d7f/USS-Soval-Forrest-class
and
http://orig06.deviantart.net/47aa/f/2014/320/0/f/nx_class_new_by_aalenfae-d86pafk.jpg
>>
File: 1501272798573.gif (192KB, 1036x654px) Image search: [Google]
1501272798573.gif
192KB, 1036x654px
>>55260535
That is a SEXY ship. Almost a TOS-era Soverign class. Smooth, streamlined, it looks fast even sitting still but still has the retro look. I love it!
>>
>>55261520
>>55261586
Source? Not trying to challenge you, I'm just legitimately interested in reading this material.
>>
>>55261627
The full-retard thing is from the novels.
The thermostat thing is speculation.
>>
>>55261648
Do you know which novel?
>>
>>55261686
Nah I just read the TVTropes shit on the novels.
>>
>>55261310
>Steamrunner is nice, but it's hardly recognisable as a Trek ship with the weird layout and the angular aesthetics. I really like the look, it's just not very Trek.
You could break my heart harder, but you'd have to try. I can't argue with your choice of the Nova, since it's pretty good looking, but the NX is fucking horrible looking. It's an Akira that drank paint thinner and retarded itself into oblivion. Can't believe you're throwing shade on my shipfu but like the NX. Making me sad, anon.
>>
>>55261627
First is from the Typhon Pact Novels as well as Andor: Paradigm.
Latter is a soft fluff explanation tht was either made by /STG/ or might have existed in the FASA canon, what with the blue fleet.
>>
>>55261822
It's in the FASA canon, though you have to dig for it. The Andorians have their own highly militant branch of Starfleet crewed by Andorians, for Andoria. They become less relevant and powerful over time as Starfleet picks up member races and downplays the military nature of their genesis.
>>
>>55261874
>"we're not a military"
>is primary defense organization of federation
>>
>>55261896
"Oh 40% of our fleet is specialized to deliver as many torpedoes and nuclear missiles to your face as possible, and has armored nacelles and actual marines with swords? Yeah those are for scientific and educational purposes. Look at how many pacifist Vulcans we have though!"
>>
>>55261938
>and actual marines with swords?
I've seen all of Trek but TOS S3 and TAS and I don't remember this.
>>
>>55261950

It's FASA nonsense.
>>
>>55261950
Again, FASA canon. In which Andorians are hardassed motherfuckers that earth got into a genocidal war with shortly after the invention of warp drive. Eventually they signed a ceasefire with them that was later upgraded to include the Tellarites, Vulcans and possibly the Saurians, founding the Federation as we know it.
>>
>>55261987
Oh man, I'm torn on whether ENT mighta been better with that canon.
>>
>>55261768
Your waifu is too t h i c c, and in all the wrong places, to be aesthetically pleasing. The NX's "arms" were tasteful instead of being approximately the size of the original Xbox, and it overall had enough greebling to match the more-realistic-but-still-trek-y look that they were going for. Having nacelles to die for helps, too. I stand by what I said about the Akira, but honestly, if they'd just shift the deflector to the front like the Nova/Intrepid's secondary deflectors (or like >>55261587 suggested), it'd be bearable. As it is, the bulge is worse than the one in the Ent-B's engineering hull, and that says something.

You can't deny that the Columbia-Class refit is God Is Dead, Man Reigns In Heaven tier, though. Whichever way you decide that means.
>>
>>55262347
>shits on the Steamrunner's ideal in-built nacelle design that increases speed and maneuvering
>glorifies the pin thin NX nacelles that snap off if you look at them wrong
>loves the Columbia-class despite it literally killing God so hard that Nietzsche looked at it and was like "slow the fuck down guys"
Ask me how I know you're a pleb. Just ask me.

All in good 4chin fun, anon. Your choices are legit and I'm just playin because it's a good time.
>>
File: 1483813196224.jpg (194KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1483813196224.jpg
194KB, 774x1032px
>>55253671
I'm a big Lovecraft fan, and while a pure version of the mythos doesn't really fit Star Trek's attitude, there are an awful lot of obscenely powerful celestial entities wandering around the Trek verse, but the series never really explores the ramifications of that.

I always liked the episode about the Doomsday Machine, the idea of this incredibly powerful weapon just being left behind for millions of years to ravage the galaxy is cool. Using that as a springboard, I'd have Federation survey teams start finding ancient relics that seem to be related to that device out on the edge of known space. After a bit of build up and maybe some episodes about tribal cultures who have weird legends about monsters from beyond the sky, I'd have a fleet show up of incredibly advanced, incredibly ancient ships on the fringes of the galaxy. Most of the ships are fairly small, but they all cluster around one FUCK HUGE craft.

Anyway, the ships are crewed by a wide variety of ancient species, some of whom are unknown, others thought to be wiped out millions of years ago. The mothership is the housing chamber for a vast celestial being that they worship as a god. It sleeps for extremely long periods of time, and when it awakens it feeds on stars. Its high priests can interface with it through strange devices using elaborate rituals, and in so doing gain access to incredibly vast stores of information. The God-thing's intellect is only barely comprehensible to a regular sapient, but it basically protects the things that worship it and gives them knowledge in exchange for them securing it while it sleeps and helping guide it towards suitable star systems to feed on. The God-Thing isn't particularly malevolent, but it *does* want to survive and the side effects of its feedings wipe out civilizations which it doesn't see as a bad thing.
Sorta pseudo-C'tan, is what I'm thinking. I dunno, what do you cats think? Too overdone? Maybe I'll expand and mod it later.
>>
>>55262069
Imagine seeing Shran as often as we saw Dukat. You could even keep the TIME WIZARDRY by having Daniels give the crew and ship Macguffins to protect against timeline shifts. Imagine the "temporal cold war" manifesting as the ship jumping back and forth between the Suliban/Xindi timeline and the FASA timeline at random, and seeing Shran as often as we saw Dukat.
>>
>>55262948
What a coincidence! I'm a huge Orson Welles.
>>
>>55261501
They're still around, just doing other shit.
>>
>>55262948

If you like the Doomsday Machine you should read Fred Saberhagen's Berserkerverse. The Berserkers are just that: ancient, world ending machine intelligences from a war long before humanity became sapient.

As to your idea: It might or might not work in Trek, it depends on how it's handled, and in what medium you were using it. PnP would be fine, novels not so much (thanks to main characters being plot armored/OC donut steels being what they are).

If it were treated in the show, it would suck as an "alien of the week", but could potentially be interesting as a season long antagonist (or maybe multiple seasons).
>>
>>55263189
Such as dying, desperately trying to save their race, and leaving the Federation.
>>
>>55262470
Not the nacelles themselves, anon, just the detail work on them that's more interesting than a highlighter pen with a blue stripe down the side, and the fact that you can still draw a straight line from them to the TOS-style ones. And besides, as I said, the Steamrunner's design would look great if it was just a generic sci-fi ship - the flat angular faces and built-in nacelles are great and as an armchair admiral the slightly better survivability is nice too, they're just a big departure from the classic round saucer/stardrive/nacelle look.
As for the Columbia, I did place it God Is Dead tier, but the nod to continuity's pretty sweet, and the NX being a literal fucking pancake is probably the one thing about it I majorly didn't like. And besides, at least it's not the Intrepid-type.

All in good 4chin fun anon. Your choices are just as legit, but learn2read :^)
I'm surprised I haven't been shredded for shittin on the Excelsior, tbqhwyf
>>
File: voy-prototype14.jpg?w=468.jpg (78KB, 400x201px) Image search: [Google]
voy-prototype14.jpg?w=468.jpg
78KB, 400x201px
>>55263231
>If you like the Doomsday Machine you should read Fred Saberhagen's Berserkerverse.
And also watch the VOY episode "Prototype."
>>
>>55263251
And rejoining once their species is saved and Bashir doesn't get court martialed/tried for theft of classified information. Using Genesis tech to save a species wins friends while making enemies.
>>
>>55262948
I wanted to do a Lovecraft-esque mission in STO's Foundry, but lack of ability kinda sunk that idea.

Basic idea is a Fed member is currently under a state of emergency as armed groups have seized a number of weather control satellites and other orbital locations. The terrorists are members of an old pre-Contact religion that's frankly considered an embarrassment by the planet at large, with its obsession with ending the world and ushering in some kind of masters from beyond the oh shut up already you loonies.

The cult is using gravity generators aboard their targets to force the stars into the "right" position via grav lensing. In a combination of strike teams and ship-to-station combat, the USS (You) manages to stop them before the gravity generators finish powering up all the way, and the day is saved.

I also was going to add a stinger with one of your sensor officers who was monitoring the planet be placed under heavy sedation and observation in sickbay They collapsed just as the last generator goes online and have been muttering something about "mouths in the darkness" in between attempts to chew their own fingers off.
>>
File: Gladion-SM4.jpg (128KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gladion-SM4.jpg
128KB, 1366x768px
I don't remember Klinks having mind-rape devices in future series.
>>
>>55263549
must have needed augment DNA to run
>>
>>55257798
>>55258107
>>55258135
I'd assumed that Martia was a Founder, specifically one of the Hundred Changeling Infants sent out into uncharted space.
>>
>>55263262
See, I like the Steamrunner's departure from the mold, it's one of the things I really love about her lines. It makes me feel like Starfleet really has been struck to the core by the Borg and is making big strides to change up things and keep with the times as other powers adapt and change as well. The Akira, Prometheus, and Defiant are good examples of changing it up as well and I like them too. Even the Nova and Sovereign are a departure as well, though less so (they have fused saucer and engineered hulls instead of relying on the neck strut structure).

Yeah, I was expecting you to get blasted over the Excelsior too. Wonder what that's about.
>>
>>55263549
They do have them, just we never see officers who really have the coldbloodedness to do use it.
>>
>>55263754
For me there's just something off about it. I prefer the original version but even that I think could do with tweaking. More obvious non-nacelle connectors to the aft pod would help for a start.

Primary hull shape though is neat.
>>
>>55263251
That book was dumb and trek authors are way too into 'we haven't seen these guys in a while they must be dying out.'
>>
>>55263655
According to Memory Alpha/Beta, they're different. See the following:

> Following the Dominion attack on the Antwerp Conference in 2372, a Chameloid named Wusekl was illegally detained and imprisoned on Triex, as the people believed he was a Founder. (ST novel: Articles of the Federation)
>>
>>55263900
It would be pretty sweet if the pod was directly under the primary hull and the nacelles were shifted forward to either side of it: same front/rear profile, but it would be just the primary hull from the side/above/below (like a bigger, more modular Defiant)
>>
Bump now within visual range, Captain.
>>
>>55264110
My pet annoyance is that they retcon every shitty thing Star Fleet did to be a plot from Section 31. Why can't they let stupid decisions or downright villainy from Star Fleet officers to be just that what it seems.
>>
>>55265937
I thought incompetence and insanity was a prereq for being admiral.
>>
>>55266074
All the competent ones stay as captains like Kirk and Picard, or die horribly offscreen.
>>
Are Vulcans that don't purge emotion basically exiled from Vulcan?
>>
>>55266086
>kirk and picard stay captains
>sisko abandons his wife and baby to hang with timeless aliens
>janeway and archer become admirals
Sounds about right.

>>55267326
They're probably just super-shunned like what Mormons do.
>>
>>55267326
Yes. They are either called Romulans or those nomad Vulcans Archer encountered.
>>
>>55267349
Apparently Brooks forced them to add a line about Sisko returning in about a year, because he didn't like the implication of a Black guy walking out on his family.
>>
>>55267403
They should have had Cassidy and the fetus go with Sisko, that way there's no abandonment implication and Sisko can leave forever to add finality to the subplot.
>>
>>55267412
Especially seeing as the kid will be 1/4 prophet, like Jake. Though honestly I wish they resolved the Emissary subplot as more of a political thing ok Bajor, with Sisko facing off against Winn secure the future of Bajor once and for all.
>>
>>55261310
Nova is most certainly Comfiest Ship. Not my favourite, but certainly the one that I'd find most comfy to serve on. Oberth running a close second place. Sabre rolling up in a comfy third.
>>
>>55252879
Thats the one I posted a while back, and isnt part of the Broken Mirror stuff..
>>
File: RCO001.jpg (451KB, 1029x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO001.jpg
451KB, 1029x1600px
>>55252879
>>55252778
Lemme post if for you.
>>
File: RCO002.jpg (479KB, 966x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO002.jpg
479KB, 966x1600px
>>55269143
>>
File: RCO003.jpg (327KB, 1015x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO003.jpg
327KB, 1015x1600px
>>55269175
>>
File: RCO004.jpg (377KB, 1016x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO004.jpg
377KB, 1016x1600px
>>55269187
>>
File: RCO005.jpg (414KB, 1013x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO005.jpg
414KB, 1013x1600px
>>55269202
>>
File: RCO006.jpg (341KB, 1027x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO006.jpg
341KB, 1027x1600px
>>55269216
>>
File: RCO007.jpg (410KB, 1023x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO007.jpg
410KB, 1023x1600px
>>55269225
>>
File: RCO008.jpg (350KB, 1022x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO008.jpg
350KB, 1022x1600px
>>55269237
>>
File: RCO009.jpg (326KB, 985x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO009.jpg
326KB, 985x1600px
>>55269253
>>
>>55269143
This, it was exactly this comic i was thinking of.
Thanks anon!
>>
File: RCO010.jpg (416KB, 1011x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO010.jpg
416KB, 1011x1600px
>>55269262
Waiting for post time sucks
>>
File: RCO011.jpg (372KB, 969x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO011.jpg
372KB, 969x1600px
>>55269275
>>55269274
No problem, anon!
>>
File: RCO012.jpg (381KB, 1012x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO012.jpg
381KB, 1012x1600px
>>55269282
>>
File: RCO013.jpg (407KB, 1031x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO013.jpg
407KB, 1031x1600px
>>55269298
>>
File: RCO014.jpg (429KB, 1020x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO014.jpg
429KB, 1020x1600px
>>55269307
>>
File: RCO015.jpg (442KB, 1006x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO015.jpg
442KB, 1006x1600px
>>55269324
>>
File: RCO016.jpg (366KB, 1005x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO016.jpg
366KB, 1005x1600px
>>55269330
>>
File: RCO017.jpg (379KB, 1020x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO017.jpg
379KB, 1020x1600px
>>55269344
Picard is angry.
>>
File: RCO018.jpg (420KB, 1016x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO018.jpg
420KB, 1016x1600px
>>55269361
Is Picard gonna have to shank a bitch!?
>>
File: RCO019.jpg (405KB, 1023x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO019.jpg
405KB, 1023x1600px
>>55269375
>>
File: RCO020.jpg (439KB, 1010x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO020.jpg
439KB, 1010x1600px
>>55269388
>>
File: RCO021.jpg (451KB, 989x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO021.jpg
451KB, 989x1600px
>>55269405
>>
File: RCO022.jpg (393KB, 997x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO022.jpg
393KB, 997x1600px
>>55269420
>>
File: RCO023.jpg (440KB, 1018x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO023.jpg
440KB, 1018x1600px
>>55269432
>>
File: RCO024.jpg (400KB, 1010x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO024.jpg
400KB, 1010x1600px
>>55269447
Aaaand done.
>>
My one problem with this is the Stargazer should be much bigger, almost the size of the Galor types.

Kinda surprised Picard didn't kill Jack Crusher though.
>>
>>55269463
Probably pissed that he wasn't the one to do it.
>>
>>55269457
Fun detail there:

Picard does actually have the captain's rank insignia in that last panel, where he didn't before.
>>
>>55269457
What epic tits.
New STO character inspiration found.
>>
>>55267459
Prophet doesn't seem to be inheritable. Jake is a NEET.
>>
>>55269457
Can I just say I hate that the Spoonheads and Klinks are just "themselves but worse"?

I do like evil Picard, though.
>>
>>55269457
I need those uniforms in STO. Preferably with a revamp of the original WoK uniforms too.
>>
>>55271713
He seems more 'efficient pragmatist' than evil, though. Which is a nice change.
The Fed is good to the point of stupidity, the Empire is evil to the point of stupidity, and theres only a few in both universes who can find their own arse without a map.
>>
>>55271932
I think the only difference is the jacket collar. Everything else is already in, including the sash and badge.
>>
>>55272075
The midriff on the female uniform isn't in though.
>>
>>55269324
are those meant to be D7s? Cause they look all kinds of fucked up.
>>
File: shrug.gif (266KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.gif
266KB, 200x183px
>>55274325
No idea, I just post things.
>>
>>55274325
Imo it looks like the D7s from the motion picture.
>>
>>55274325
>>55275817

It's like the artist had only heard second hand what a K'tinga looked like, and couldn't be fucking interested enough to find a reference.

>>55269298
>>55269307

These two have particularly bad interpretations of the K'tinga's angles.
>>
File: Maximum warp.jpg (52KB, 700x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Maximum warp.jpg
52KB, 700x1056px
There was such a large increase in speed between TOS and TNG that they had to change the warp scale.
So how was there such a large increase in warp speed between the Galaxy Class and Intrepid, a mere 7 years apart?
>>
>>55276884
First off, warp speed increases exponentially, not linearly which is why another 0.3 is a massive increase. Secondly, you should be posting caps of the time the Enterprise hit warp 17 if you want to bring attention to the changed scaling system.
>>
>>55276953
>warp speed increases exponentially
I get that.

In 100 years the federation nearly quadrupled its warp speed.
In 7 years from TNG to Voyager they more than doubled it again.
>>
>>55276884
>>55276953

>http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/treknology/warp6.htm

The TNG warp scale sucks. Spouting off increasing fractions of warp 9 isn't a functional way to do things.
>>
>>55277123
Yeah, but that's not safe cruising speed, that's "oh shit the ship's going to fall apart if we keep this up!" speed.
>>
>>55276884
>>55277123
The TNG/DS9/VOY warp scale has no equation when you surpass warp 9. It was literally just freehanded with warp 10 being a vertical asymptote. Everything above warp 9 is literally just the speed of plot with no consistency.
>>
>>55277169
>>55277155
>>55277145
So the writers didn't mean for Voyager to have a maximum speed twice that of the Enterprise D is what you're saying?
>>
>>55277227
The writers didn't give a fuck, is what I'm saying.
>>
File: Checkmate!.jpg (108KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
Checkmate!.jpg
108KB, 694x530px
>>55277227

>thinking the VOY writers actually fucking give a damn about consistency
>>
File: the_nagus.png (252KB, 529x404px) Image search: [Google]
the_nagus.png
252KB, 529x404px
>>55277278
>>55277250
Right, Voyager writers actually looking up previous stuff? What was I thinking.
>>
Are we still angry at this or are we burned out yet?

I'm leaning towards still hateful and angry at this point.
>>
>>55277968
Simmering with quiet resentment, ready to boil over into cold rage when they unveil another trailer.
>>
>>55277968
I don't care, really. It looks bad. Nothing I've seen or read from it leads me to believe that it will be good. But I'll watch it with the morbid curiosity I usually reserve for natural disasters.
>>
>>55277968

Cold disinterest. I'll watch it years after it is over and done with, like I did with ENT.
>>
Found this wile digging through old files.
>>
>>55277968
Not. Paying. For. Another. Streaming. Channel. CBS can go to hell.
>>
File: afbhw.jpg (80KB, 692x1060px) Image search: [Google]
afbhw.jpg
80KB, 692x1060px
>>55271713
>themselves but worse
How so? Seems just like normal for the Cardassians, and normal for ENT Klingons too. I can certainly imagine that, without the Federation to help out with Praxis, without the Augment stuff from ENT to turn them into smoothheads, and Azetbur apparently being some sort of (mild) reformer, the Klinks would just stay as a bunch of slaving jerks.
>>
>>55277968
https://streamable.com/hyn4t
Oh boy oh boy
>>
>>55279699
>oh fuck oh fuck
>the hot black chick we hired can't act
>fugg
>should we make her half-vulcan or something?
>>
>>55279753
>hot
>>
Anyone know when the physical books will ship for STA?
>>
>>55277968
Casually resigned but keeping it in the corner of my eye. I have no reason to think it's going to be good, but I'm not sure Trek is general has ever been "good." There's better and worse series and fantastic and abysmal episodes, but it's always been preachy and dumb and handwavey and so on. I still enjoy it even through sermons on race relations and free will, I suspect I'll enjoy this abomination through whatever weird crap they pack in there.

That said, I suspect I'm going to get a good deal more entertainment out of laughing at the process than usual. Like, a streaming exclusive? Really? You think paygating it behind your literally-who service is a good way to buoy your channel rather than bury your show? Really?

My one concern is that it strikes aggressively mediocre and spineless like The Force Awakens, where it's not bad enough to cackle at the incompetence but it's not good enough to enjoy in its own sake. That'd be a real tragedy.
>>
>>
>>55280791
The Guardian of Forever is the Guardian of FOREVER. Can't change the future by bringing some thot to the future.
>>
>>55283414
>>
>>55283473
Also, having just seen the ep for the first time, I realize that they beam down with two anonymous redshirts and the two people who die are the hot chick and the bum.
>>
>>55283514
btw, there's a comic of this thing as well.
In it a redshirt who was selling drugs to other crewmen runs into the guardian and he is the reason why Kirk and Spock run in.
In that comic McCoy didn't rush in though.
>>
>>55277968
Wtf is that?

I know they went with a rejected 70s concept design for the ship in a texture of hull that was in neither TOS or ENT and gave the overall impression of a Connie as designed by Cardassians but what am I actually looking at?

They really drew no attention to the ship in the trailers to a suspicious degree and I just assumed that I had put together the worst of why. But I had no idea.

Got to ask; what the ever loving fuck is the point of the missing saucer chunks?

In J.J.Trek the bottle opener look was because 2deep4U ship is as hollow as Admiral Robocop's morals. It was stupid but there was a reason for it. What reason have they gone for here?

I am seriously finding it hard to understand why it has to be that ugly. It's like everything about the ship had to be as shit looking as possible.
>>
>>55285116
In one of the trailers, Captain Malfoy says something about "creating a new way to fly". So I'm assuming there's gonna be some dumb explanation that they had to trim all the unnecessary components from the Discovery.
>>
>>55285116
The missing saucer bits represent CBS lobotomizing the franchise.
>>
>>55285116
For the saucer apparently they wanted more windows.

That was it.
>>
File: discovery_by_euderion-dbjpx33.jpg (260KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
discovery_by_euderion-dbjpx33.jpg
260KB, 1600x1000px
>>55284133
Sounds like it was based off the original script then.

>>55285116
BEHOLD!
>>
>>55277968

Something that the Discovery has made me realize is that it really fucking bothers me when the warp nacelles are inline with the engineering hull. I really prefer them to be offset. Make them underslung, or put them on vertical pylons. Just don't have them inline. Voyager got partial credit for folding up before going to warp, but was still an inferior design.
>>
>>55286971
It actually looks worse the longer you look at it. I couldn't make a ship that ugly intentionally.

I can only hope that the effort they quite obviously didn't put here they put elsewhere. I suspect I am going to be disappointed in this hope.
>>
File: kestrel-jan-1.jpg (307KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kestrel-jan-1.jpg
307KB, 1920x1080px
>>55287032
You're not wrong, it does help the overall visual balance/flow of the ship design to offset the nacelles. There's a serious art to their placement that so many designs screw up, and yet in their own way they're more important to the overall look than any other component.

I think the only designs that really get away with nacelles on the same line as everything is when the design is relatively flat (image related and even that could work with them dropped lower a smidge).

There's probably some mathematical about it, relating to the rule of thirds or whatever.
>>
>>
>>55289535
The hell is this garbage doing in my /stg/?
>>
>>55286971
The Discovery lacks any of the aesthetics that made any of the other hero ships recognisable. I mean I could see the USS Pizza Cutter as some background ship but as a hero ship it's just fails badly. And you know what is not helping, the damn colors of it, even ENT Enterrpise didn't look that bland of metal slab,
>>
Would you rather have a new ship design for a hero-ship or just use a background design instead?
>>
>>55292539
New design, always. The design for the hero ship should always be custom made to fit the tone of the series. Background designs are just that, in that background and unimportant.
>>
>>55292539
Get a Daedalus ship. Make the neck a bit thicker. Give it ENT nacelles. Give it ENT hull texture.

Done.

Claim that it is an old ship that has been refitted with all new gadgetry. Now you have a ship that fits into the timeline and you get to have the occasional "repair the ailing veteran ship" episode. Also you get to have the aliens and snooty captains of more modern ships occasionally take the piss only to have to eat their words when day is saved by rust bucket.
>>
>>55286971

Is it just me or does that thing literally look like the front half of an STO Scryer class welded onto the back half of a D7?
>>
File: chance_meeting_by_helot-d6sit1b.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
chance_meeting_by_helot-d6sit1b.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
>>55292539
New design.

There's so much room to design things that fits, no matter the era, that recycling designs for a hero ship would only be worth it if any new hero ship we're following was something previously established but not expanded upon like if a series of the Excelsior under Sulu ever happened somehow.
>>
>>55279699
See, I actually like the NuKlingon combat space suit thing...
I just kinda wish they weren't, y'know... *the* Klingons. Couldn't they be another wacky race of aggressive warrior dudes? I feel like the design shift is a little too weird and radical. They look like Genestealer Cultists. Klingons have always been "barbaric samurai vikings" rather than Geiger monster dudes.
>>
>>55292539
I suppose I wouldn't be adverse to reusing a design. But I think it's generally better to use a new design for a new show. All the same I'd prefer something that doesn't look like the discovery.
>>
>>55293318
>I just kinda wish they weren't, y'know... *the* Klingons.
I wouldn't even mind if they were a sub-race that the Klinks sicced on the Feds as an attempted Uriah genocide.
>>
>>55294978
I still hold out the faint hope that some of the other houses will be shown to look like old school klingons. Just so we can say that these frog-looking fuckers are an entirely different subspecies.
>>
>>55279699
>https://streamable.com/hyn4t

the fucking bloom on the lighting is soooo old. who likes that style? fucking hollywood jerkoffs

also what's with the music? does literally only one guy do cinematic music now since Inception came out?
>>
>>55287344
are you guys excited for Discovery's preachy bullshit that's relevant to social issues? Can't wait for the forced trans allegory, and "LOOK THE KLINGONS ARENT UNEDUCATED WAR MONGER MONGOS, THEY'RE PEOPLE LIKE US ENLIGHTENED HUMANS!!!"
>>
File: 39538784.jpg (109KB, 640x1000px) Image search: [Google]
39538784.jpg
109KB, 640x1000px
>>55295807
>are you guys excited for Discovery to be a Star Trek show?
I'm not even giving it the benefit of the doubt to do that, I'm expecting it to be JJ-Trek: The Show
>>
File: Smug Kor.jpg (63KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Kor.jpg
63KB, 720x480px
>>55295807

Trek has always had preachy bullshit. But Klingons being uneducated subhumans? I don't know what you're on about, but whatever.

The real issue is CBS All Access and the fact that they're trying desperately to appeal to the mainstream audiences because "the fans will watch anyway".

CBS can shove it.
>>
>>55295876
>>55295876
I have no problem with preachy bullshit. What i do have a problem with is when they shove a message down your throat hamfistedly, without showing both sides of the problem. I can 110% guarantee the klingons are going to be poorly written boogeymen
Disclaimer: I don't really like TOS and most of TNG

As for CBS yeah that's bullshit but it's just the corporate side of TV shows doing what they do. The creative staff is something i can tangibly criticize
>>
>>55295876
i think his point was we've already had Worf and his whole arc in tng/ds9 and now they're rewriting them to be enemies just to have a moral crammed in about North Korea, or whatever allegory they're going to use
>>
>>55296027
I would rather have morals about how the poor disenfranchised Klingons are driven to extreme actions by the oppression of Federation culture.
>>
Is discovery going to air on CBS?
>>
>>55296114
Only their streaming service for a year, I think. They're not actually going to broadcast it.
>>
>>55296130
How do they expect it to succeed
>>
>>55296095
see now that's good stuff. And more vulcan/human tensions, even to the point of overt racism (speciesism?) between the two.
>>
>>55296146
They don't, they expect Star Trek to be a big brand name that will draw in people to sign up to the service.
>>
>>55296146
probably will appear on netflix or on TV once they realize 0.0008% of their expected demographic actually subscribes to their shit
>>
>>55296170
The worst part is that it's on Netflix outside of the US.
>>
>>55296170
Im sure some nice anons will torrent it for us
>>
>>55296027

STD is set before Worf was even alive, before TOS and after ENT. The Klingons already were enemies during that period, and were in fact a Soviet analogue in TOS.

Is it lazy rehashing? Sure. But it's not outside of the norm for Trek. My real problem is the visual changes, the "sarcophagus" ship, and a lot of the other changes seem like they're just trying to cash in on the Trek brand recognition rather than do something good or interesting with the setting.

>>55296114

The first episode will. Then the rest will be on the CBS All Access streaming service (but only for the U.S. and Canada). Everywhere else that will have it available will be able to view it on Netflix a week after it "airs" on CBS All Access.
>>
File: Prometheus-Nova hybrid.gif (17KB, 1443x653px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus-Nova hybrid.gif
17KB, 1443x653px
Saw a cloud that looked like a starship, decided to draw it.
Didn't turn out great at first so I borrowed elements from the Prometheus and Nova class for the main body.

Previous attempt looked more like a time ship.
>>
>1990s
>ha ha that's so silly, who would listen to Neelix talk into a camera for fun
>Quark is so cartoonishly greedy putting ads on a replicator
>2010s
>Youtube, podcasters
>gas pumps and vending machines have integrated video ads
I'd rather be in the mirrorshades clunky 80s electronics cyberpunk timeline.
>>
File: High impact medical violence.jpg (140KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
High impact medical violence.jpg
140KB, 1366x768px
>>
>>55296470
Star Trek is actually subtly written by time travelers from the future. They're preparing the Earth for ayy lmaos that look like rubber-faced humans. This is actually something that made Roddenberry almost have a nervous breakdown back in the 70's.
>>
File: This triggers the Kira.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
This triggers the Kira.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>55297962
If the ayy lmaos give us Star Trek tech magic and room to expand off Earth I'm totally cool with that. lolwat. Sauce?
>>
>>55298030
Back then, Roddenberry became sorta associated with a sorta cult (Hollywierd, amirite?). One of their things was that ayys were influencing fiction on the earth, or something along those lines. Roddenberry thought he was a writer, and the idea that Trek - his one success - might not actually be him got him quite depressed.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (235KB, 3000x1687px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
235KB, 3000x1687px
>>55259701
USS Vengence
simply because it was kickass

but on a serious note, the nx01 refit
>>
To those of you that have run the adventure in the back of the STA Core book: what sort of situations and/or player plans did you end up having to deal with? I'm trying to get a feel for how much extra content I should prepare or if I should keep my players on the learning-railroad by limiting their options.
>>
File: Star Trek Quiz Book Cover 1.jpg (89KB, 760x608px) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek Quiz Book Cover 1.jpg
89KB, 760x608px
>>
>>55298496
>USS Vengeance

I don't get how anybody could like that ship. Please, anon, enlighten me as to why the USS bottle-opener is your favourite ship.
>>
File: Vengeance.jpg (151KB, 900x375px) Image search: [Google]
Vengeance.jpg
151KB, 900x375px
>>55300373

Not him, but:

>I like the black paintjob
>It follows the standard design, just bigger and more blocky
>doesn't need crew

It's like the evil version of the Sovereign-class
>>
>>55300746
I think it's supposed to be the evil version of the Excelsior
>>
>>55298006
Why would they need that many ships? That would imply there was a war.
>>
>>55301586
Quite obviously there was no war, you can tell by the lack of war crimes.
>>
Would Cardassia really have re-invaded Bajor if the Circle's coup had been successful? They were only out of the place for a year. I can't imagine they would have been willing to invest in another costly occupation. I could see them retaking Terok Nor, but not Bajor.
>>
>>55300882
Which is kinda funny as Excelsior was introduced as a antagonist ship in Star Trek III.
>>
>>55301946
They only pulled their troops and ships from Bajor because of a more valuable prospect (at the time). They were going to use those resources to hit Minos Korva.
That didn't exactly go as planned.

You could be right about them only retaking the station. It would certainly have been more valuable than Bajor itself with the wormhole. Then again who knows how things might have gone? The Circle might have thought they'd be ready for a straight up fight after that, in which case the Cardies probably would have wiped them with a good sized fleet.
>>
>>55295807
>Can't wait for the forced trans allegory
They... won't actually do this, right?
Hopefully it's just one episode if so.
>>
>>55301946
The occupation was costly because they were fighting off Bajoran resistance. With the Circle in power the Cardassians would've had behind-the-scenes control over Bajor without having to send in occupational forces. If the Circle ends up non-cooperative, Cardassia cuts off supplies, Bajor starves, and Cardassia can move in overtly to restore order, which would be met with far less resistance than they previously had.
>>
Will we see:
>TOS and/or TNG Klingons
>JJized The Cage-esque costumes
In Discovery?
>>
>>55302728
The show is being made for normies. Normies don't like tranny shit anymore than we do
>>
>>55263272
Those robots looked like shit
>>
File: GTholian2.jpg (57KB, 650x412px) Image search: [Google]
GTholian2.jpg
57KB, 650x412px
Stat a Tholian
>>
Is star trek adventures the way to go for a modern trek RPG?

I saw it at a convention and it looked like all the material was classic trek, and i was thinking of something more around the post dominion war era.
>>
>>55263900
It looks a little like a modernised miranda class in those images.
>>
>>55277227
Trek writers are kind of bad with numbers - just look at planet populations. Entire civilisations, yet their population is in the tens of thousands.

Generally a poor sense of scale too.
>>
>>55303394
The angriest Jolly Rancher.
>>
>>55301946
Rather than re-occupying, they might just set up a puppet state on Bajor to serve their interests, while securing and reinforcing Terok Nor, primarily with the intent of dissuading the Federation from starting shit. Plus they'd have the prime minister by the balls, what with the evidence that they backed his coup from the get-go.
>>
>>55304374
>Do not ingest
>>
>>55303098

No, and no, most likely. It's possible we might see TNG Klingons, but I'm not willing to put money on it.

>>55303337

It's not a great a episode. Decent for VOY, but overall not great.
>>
File: IMG_1987.jpg (199KB, 1632x792px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1987.jpg
199KB, 1632x792px
>>
>>55303550
It's got plenty of materials for playing in 2371+. The living campaign stays in 2371 I believe.
>>
>>55303550
By default it's based around season 2 of DS9. But it covers all star trek.
>>
>>55306326
Season 3. It takes place just as Sisko gets the Defiant.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>55304825
It's in the top ten for VOY imo
>>
>>55308647
me too. The worst thing about voyager was it's inconsistency, but IMO it's a great series. better than TOS that's for sure
>>
>>55309053
Brain! What is brain?
>>
>>55309053
Whenever I re-watch episodes of Voyager I'm often struck by a surprisingly good performance from one of the actors I generally disregard. What pains me most about voyager is the missed potential, I think.
>>
>>55309053
>better than TOS that's for sure
They both average the same, but TOS has a far higher variance.
>>
>>55310243
Robert Picardo, Robert Duncan McNeill and Tim Russ are all very, very good actors. They did the best they could with some dubious scripts
>>
>>55310739
They all have solid moments. Shame about the rest of the show though.
>>
>>55309053
I feel like TOS is deservedly cut more slack because it was the progenitor of Trek. Whereas Voyager came at a time when TNG and DS9 had both proven that Trek could be truly great. So the baseline mediocrity of Voyager was less forgivable.
>>
File: ptolemy class.png (190KB, 677x301px) Image search: [Google]
ptolemy class.png
190KB, 677x301px
Why is the Ptolemy-class so comfy, lads?
>>
File: over the blue.jpg (346KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
over the blue.jpg
346KB, 1600x1000px
>>55259701

BENJAMIN SISKO'S MOTHER FUCKING PIMP HAND.
>>
File: 320x240.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
320x240.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>55259701
>>
>>55313187
BEN SISKO'S MOTHER FUCKING VACATION SLOOP
>>
File: really__by_aska_chan-d7wdwc8.jpg (284KB, 500x621px) Image search: [Google]
really__by_aska_chan-d7wdwc8.jpg
284KB, 500x621px
>>
>>55312979
It's a TOS Miranda semi truck. If the Miranda is Moby Dick, the Ptolemy is Smokey and the Bandit.
>>
>>55312979
Space cargo ships are inherently comfy. This is known.
>>
>>55316393
The Maquis really could have used something the size of a Firefly for sneaking through the Badlands or past the Cardassians.
>>
>>55316416
That's what they had Cassidy Yates' ship for.
>>
>>55308443
Alright anon, I'll bite, elaborate on that file name.
>>
>>55317989
Okay, this is kind of a doozy...

First chapter? Our protagonist, plucky Cadet Piper still in training at Starfleet Academy, defeats the Kobayashi Maru and is assigned to the Enterprise as a Lieutenant for being so awesome. Yyyyyep.

In all fairness, the rest of the book does make an effort to make her less insufferable, but this is usually done by giving her relationship drama with her exes: the only full-blooded Vulcan onboard the Enterprise, who angsts about having emotions for a human female (which leads to a load of Vulcan wank about how much smarter Vulcans are) and a terrorist who helped hijack Starfleet's super-special awesome new ship, the USS Star Empire.

Terrorist-ex asks that Piper accompany a negotiating party, but she's put under arrest instead because Kirk wants to see what they'll do next. She escapes with the help of Vulcan-ex, but is intercepted by Vice-Admiral Rittenhouse, who... okay, you remember the part of Into Darkness with the corrupt Admiral who wanted to use a ridiculously op ship to launch a coup and destroy Starfleet's enemies?

Well, it's pretty much that, only without Bumblebee Creampievag playing an Indian, it's just a VICE Admiral being a cunt, and this book came out in 1986. What they DO have is Boma (the black guy from "The Galileo Seven"), who was kicked out of Starfleet for being mean to Spock and is now a traitor, because what this book needed was even more Vulcan wank. Turns out the terrorists wanted save the Star Empire from Vice-Admiral Milhouse, so that's okay.

Fortunately, Kirk had already figured out Vice Admiral Notameme was shady af, so he saves the day as per usual. Piper suggests Vulcan-ex talk to Spock about his angsty Vulcan bullshit, which is actually pretty cute.

The book itself isn't BAD - there's plenty of cute little asides, like how most shuttlecrafts have shitty names because Starfleet ran out of good ones - but there's a reason even Memory Alpha calls Piper a Mary Sue
>>
>>55318960
>defeats the Kobayashi Maru

I would have stopped there.
>>
>>55318960
>Defeats Kobayashi Maru
Well done, you just sunk a half dead unarmed cargo ship full of unarmed civilians.
Truly a great feat of tactical genius.
>>
>>55319291

It worked in New Frontier
>>
>>55319158
>>55319291
To be fair, every other novel has somebody beating the damn scenario

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru_scenario#Apocrypha
>>
I'm a semi-newbie to Trek and I just watched TMP for the first time. I've got a couple questions about Starfleet logistics:

Is Kirk free to pretty much do whatever he wants on his ship? I know he's an Admiral now, but you'd think that after some huge mission he'd be required to report to Starfleet in person or at least stay at Earth for a little bit to check up on the giant death cloud approaching Earth. Instead, he just takes off without really saying anything to Starfleet expect that two crewmembers went missing.

Also, why does everyone call Kirk 'captain' when he's an Admiral? Is there some given rule that whoever has the primary rights to the conn gets called Captain? Seems that would essentially be a demotion for Kirk.
>>
>>55320474
Because it's Kirk

And Yes, exactly that. It's further explained in a DS9 episode, even an ensign in command of a ship is still called Captain.
>>
>>55320474
Starfleet has an unhealthy tendency to give successful COs Carte Blanche on their own ships with basically no oversight. Hence Garth of Izar got to go full god-king and Maxwell went and tried to start a war with the Cardassians.
>>
>>
tfw forgot Star Trek's 51st birthday was a couple of days ago.
>>
>>55322424
>tfw forgot Star Trek's 51st birthday was a couple of days ago.
Shit, it was wasn't it? Fuck, I completely spaced that. Gotta go watch me some TOS now to make up for forgetting.
>>
>>55322492
I can drink to that.
>>
>>55320502

> And Yes, exactly that.

It's a general naval thing, not Trek related btw.
>>
>>
Orville is on tonight. Brace for a marked increase in shitposting in the near future. Hopefully the /tv/ threads will spare us the worst but just letting you know.

>>55322599
>>55322492
Sláinte, lads
>>
>>55322783
I'll see about watching it tomorrow. I'm not expecting great things. Just expecting things.

If it works, great, if it shows promise, great. If it fails, eh, whatever at least someone who cared tried.
>>
>>55322347
And also the fact that some ships operate quite far away that contact with Starfleet is delayed quite a bit, so most Captains operate on rather autonomically in those situations.
>>
File: refit_by_davemetlesits-d37kkho.jpg (1MB, 2000x900px) Image search: [Google]
refit_by_davemetlesits-d37kkho.jpg
1MB, 2000x900px
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>55318960
>Bumblebee Creampievag
Okay, I'm going to use this at the first available opportunity.
>>
>>55257593
What sous a transporter shredder do? I'm scared at that name.
>>
>>55323882
It scrambles the transporter signal so that whatever comes out at the end has pretty much no resemblance to what went in to the transporter beam.
>>
>>
>>55324416
Get that Star Wars hyperspace shit out of here, you probable supporter of a political ideology I find personally reprehensible.
>>
>>55324562
It does look nice though.
>>
File: cunt.jpg (42KB, 1008x620px) Image search: [Google]
cunt.jpg
42KB, 1008x620px
why doesnt archer get his own food? he is literally served food on a silver platter
>>
>>55325172
Because he's the Captain.
>>
>>55325172
He's usually eating the same stuff as the crew, only instead of putting the plates in the galley, Chef puts them on the captains table. It's only special occasions and diplomatic meals where chef does anything different to what the rest fo the crew are having. There are plenty fo fair criticisms you can raise against Enterprise, I don't think that the captain getting served dinner is one of them.
>>
File: thumbs up.gif (612KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.gif
612KB, 600x338px
>>55313198
>>
>>55319291

That'd be a hilarious way of dealing with the scenario. Order your bridge crew to open fire on the freighter and then taunt the Klingons about how they can't have the honor of stealing the new top secret Federation cloaking technology because you have already destroyed it. Set a course for somewhere the fuck else, maximum warp and engage. Lure the Klingons into a negative space wedgie and then use technobabble that only the Federation can pull of with the power of SCIENCE! and escape, leaving the Klingons stranded.
>>
>>55326501
Bonus points if most of this isn't actually capable of being represented in the simulation, but you play it so straight that the overseers give you credit anyway.
>>
>>55326786

Given the kind of insane leeway we've seen out of holodeck computers (Dr Moriarty anyone?), I bet that the sim would run with it.
>>
File: 1501695004057.jpg (55KB, 805x615px) Image search: [Google]
1501695004057.jpg
55KB, 805x615px
It's quite amazing how different the Trek threads are on /tg/ compared to /tv/. It really shows the differences between boards.
>>
>>55327277

Why, what do /tv/'s trek threads look like?
>>
>>55327417
Sexual organs, Barclay posting, calling DS9 shit, calling all Treks but ENT shit for a bunch of inflammatory rightist reasons, a gap-toothed transexual constantly posting Bashir/Garak and cosplay selfies, Crusherposting, waifuposting, ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS, etc.
>>
>>55327489

DS9 is shit tho
>>
File: pioneers_by_euderion-d5omx1g.jpg (1MB, 4400x2000px) Image search: [Google]
pioneers_by_euderion-d5omx1g.jpg
1MB, 4400x2000px
>>55327489
I'd just put it down to a slow board so not having to constantly bump the thread, and the /tg/ mindset of being around here to discuss crap and postulate ideas.
I'm not gonna say we're great at it, there's better places for the real hardcore setting discussion on the interwebs, but I think we do a pretty good job of it most of the time. And we can really get into some autism about it at times.

Like the following that's been bugging me for a few days:

Warp scale re-calibration following the shows: when and why do you think it should happen? Do you think the example given in All Good Things was they went back to the TOS scale or they adopted a new scale or just upped the warp 10 limit to some larger number given so many ships were hitting top speeds in the warp 9-point-whatever area?
And how does it fit in with slipstream drive? And is the slipstream drive going to fuck over the tactical concerns of everything by making border areas even more useless?
>>
File: Quark2369.jpg (49KB, 883x684px) Image search: [Google]
Quark2369.jpg
49KB, 883x684px
So a quick question. Why do people buy replicated drinks from Quarks when you can get them for free at the Replamat?
>>
>>55327682
The ambiance, also he has a lot of real drinks.
>>
>>55327666
>And how does it fit in with slipstream drive? And is the slipstream drive going to fuck over the tactical concerns of everything by making border areas even more useless?
Realistically, the only faction that can make use of it is the Federation, and they really only put the system on ships that are either exploring the Delta Quadrant or other long range operations, or if they're needed for diplomatic reasons.
Checked by the way.
>>
>>55327682
Real drinks. Replicators are fuzzy at best, and only produce X recipe exactly the same way (plus errors) every time. Socializing, because not everyone wants to drink alone in a small dim grey box. Refreshment while recovering from, or embarking on, holodeck adventures/gambling. The chance to be in the same room as motherfucking Morn and be graced with his garrulous wisdom. As cover for brokering black market exchanges. He's also located right on the promenade for YOUR convenience.
>>
>>55327814
>Socializing, because not everyone wants to drink alone in a small dim grey box

Further proof I'd never make it in Starfleet
>>
>>55327769
The feds won't have a monopoly on it for long though, it's like transporters or replicators: eventually every major power will have them. Hell the feds or a rogue elephant of the feds might even try giving away the tech to make sure no-one has a huge advantage that could start a war, like with the guy who gave the Soviets the stuff on how to make nuclear weapons.
>>
>>55327682
The drinks are mostly free. You pay for the company, the Dabo, the holosuites, and the real stuff. Except the Canar, Quark is still trying to get that Canar out of inventory.
>>
>>55328275

I always figured it was spelled with a K.

Kanar.
>>
>>55328093
It's a combination of special dilithium crystals that are considered a strategic resource and the engineering knowhow. All the babying Scotty had to do for the Enterprise and the Bounty were nothing like what a Slipstream ship needs apparently.

>>55328306
It is.
>>
File: 1501453865148.jpg (77KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
1501453865148.jpg
77KB, 700x600px
/tv/'s general produces good content sometimes.
>>
>>55327666
>Warp scale re-calibration following the shows: when and why do you think it should happen?
Whenever there's a significant enough improvement in faster-than-light technology to make it possible. This should not simply be "we made a faster engine", it should be that the underlying engine itself is different enough in how it generates, shapes and maintains a warp field that the difference between it and previous engines is massive. Think propeller aircraft vs. jet aircraft.
>>
>>55328931
Raimi posting is patrician tier.
>>
>>55328548
Even so, that it's a thing that's known to work, and by rough calculations allows for a speed of warp 9.999996 TNG scale, Warp 138 TOS scale, which blows the fuck out of all conventional warp speeds, everyone's gonna be working their asses off to get it and make it work.

And eventually will, since it's been shown to work.

for this purpose am ignoring anything STO or the novels do because it's STO/novels.
>>
>>55328548
The slipstream drive debuted on Voyager, which was an isolated ship limited to the resources, manpower and engineering knowledge of what they had on hand. Once they ended up back home, guaranteed the Corps of Engineers put a crack team of their top minds with an unlimited budget to work finding out how to make it safe for standard use.

Then some chucklefuck decides to strap a slipstream drive to a tricobolt device to see if it'd work and that's how Romulus really exploded.
>>
>>55327682
Who is this imposter?
>>
>>55329723
Quark's nose wasn't ready in time for the pilot episode so they had to use Rom's.
>>
>>55328931
Operative word there is "sometimes"
>>
>>55295846
>JJ-Trek: The Show

It isn't , and that's what is wrong about it.

Could have been the occasion to make Nu trek good.
>>
>>55296470
Have you tried not living in the USA?
>>
New Thread
>>55331740
>>55331740
>>55331740
>>55331740
>>
>>55257593
>>55323882
>>55323957
Beam a chunk of antimatter. The structure of the original chunk will be reduced to a randomized slurry but it'll explode just as well regardless.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 102

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.