[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 429
Thread images: 46

File: 1476767561863.jpg (530KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
1476767561863.jpg
530KB, 700x933px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55233496

In your current setting, are your PCs the first of their kind as adventurers after a period of peace, or part of a world where adventuring is commonplace? Are there older adventurers to serve as mentors?
>>
First for bearbarian best barian
>>
>>55242163
>In your current setting, are your PCs the first of their kind as adventurers after a period of peace, or part of a world where adventuring is commonplace?
An odd mix, they're currently helping a princess reclaim her throne after having to flee from the BBEG and his helpers who took the main city, the dust is still settling and unrest hasn't begun yet since most don't know what is happening. There were some jobs here or there that could be "adventuring" but the empire was pretty stable and the only place that saw regular action until now is the border between the Imperial empire and the one to the north.
>>
>>55242296
>Tfw playing a barbearian in the campaign starting this weekend or next
>DM has stated he intends to challenge us so some encounters may end up deadly
My body is prepared
>>
Anyone know where I can find resources for out of the abyss for roll 20?
>>
File: 1457028035999.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457028035999.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>DM gave me his setting to play around with
>Told me to create a spin-off of his campaign
>Look at what I can do
>Two countries are being ravaged by civil war, civil war means a lot of mass combat, which I don't want to do at all
>Another one is at peace, and stable to the point of there being nothing to do there for an adventurer
>There are only two regions left, and we're already playing a game in one of them
Maybe I'm just an unimaginative faggot or something.
>>
>>55242410
lol yikes, just make a fucking island or something at that point. that setting kind of sucks
>>
>>55242410
Espionage and political drama campaign with minimal fighting for the "at peace" one might be cool
>>
>>55242163
Adventuring isn't exactly common. Very few made a fortune, but most die trying to get rich.
>>
>>55242410
Peaceful nation is probably worried about who wins the civil war, and whether the winner will be a threat to them. Have your PCs be agents of the peaceful nation with some level of diplomatic immunity (or just disguised as a neutral trading party; both sides of the civil war probably aren't dumb enough to antagonize the peaceful and militarily intact nation right next to them) to determine which side is worth supporting and how they can be supported behind the scenes.
>>
File: 9t7hr7abl1renkn2o1_500.gif (608KB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
9t7hr7abl1renkn2o1_500.gif
608KB, 375x211px
New DM here. Help.

The DMG insists that the average "Adventuring Day" is supposed to consist of 6-8 encounters with two short rests one-third and two-thirds of the way through. The whole game is allegedly balanced around this assumption.

Does game balance dictate that I'm actually supposed to be running 6-8 combats every dungeon, or is there some other definition of an encounter I'm missing somewhere? Only combat encounters seem to have actual rules for awarding XP, but the game's XP system is similarly based around the game's assumption about "Adventuring Days."

Seven fights a day seems excessive.
>>
File: 1433879237756.png (880KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1433879237756.png
880KB, 1200x900px
>>55242410

>A civil war
>Between two countries
>>
>>55242440
This sounds super fucking boring for DnD. It's not a system for espionage, or political drama.
>>
>>55242469
I meant one civil war, and one ordinary war.
>>
my setting takes place 80 years after a nearly avoided demon apocalypse. The land has been reshaped in places and the former capitol of the Kingdom of Sorial has begun sending out small bands of explorers (The Founders League) to remap the region, make contact with other surviving settlements and reclaim territory under the flag of Sorial.

That was what they were supposed to be doing but my players have turned Libertarian and are currently fighting for Confederate autonomy from Sorial rule.

I had a castle that survived the demon hoards and converted to a fortress trade town that established and protected several settlements in the years after the apocalypse that felt that they should not have to swear fealty to a line of kings that failed them so long ago, and my players agreed.
>>
>>55242410
the peaceful and stable comes at a price
a complete tyrant king with a dark and mysterious advisor
beneath the capital city and several locations around the country are dungeons and hidden secrets
but the question is, will you destablise a nation for the search of truth and 'justice'?
>>
>>55242468
It doesn't have to be in a dungeon, and it doesn't have to be combats. An "encounter" is anything that makes the party burn resources. It could be fights, traps, RP encounters, or anything else that you have in mind.
>>
>>55242472
See
>>55242465
DnD can. E a system for anything as long as you are good at writing.
>>
>>55242491
Wait so there are two nations, one is in a civil war and the other is in a war with who, the one that's in the civil war?

And there's a peaceful nation somewhere in the mix?
>>
>>55242468
more deadly encounters = less encounters. honestly it is super excessive since combat drags on a shitload

ignore that shit and play around to see what works for your group. give em easy encounters at first and ramp it up to challenge them as you get more comfortable with it
>>
>>55242410
just invent some turmoil that is popping up in the stable kingdom, not that hard anon
>>
File: 4wkrtn3xskoy.jpg (83KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
4wkrtn3xskoy.jpg
83KB, 750x1334px
I have a question pertaining to an imminent rules calling: according to the PHB, resurrection requires a body that:
>has been dead for no more than a century, that didn't die of old age, and that isn't Undead.
>If its soul is free and willing, the target returns to life with all its hit points.

Specific focus on the "isn't Undead" and "if the soul is free and willing" parts. Two questions:
>If a body has been raised as a zombie (an Undead) and is then killed by the players, does the body now count as "dead" for the sake of game rulings? E.g., is a zombie corpse just a regular corpse again, or is it still Undead?
>If a creature has been killed and its spirit is raised as a specter (an Undead creature) and then that specter is defeated, is the soul now "free and willing," or has defeating the specter destroyed the creature's soul?
>>
>>55242517
Okay, quick rundown.
1) Nation that's going through a civil war. In this nation, there's a relatively peaceful region where we are playing.
2) Two nations at a full scale war with each other.
3) A kingdom that I think isn't at war, but there's nothing interesting there either.
4) The only real choice left
>>
>>55242410
The country currently in civil war gets invaded by the stable country. To make it more interesting, they are searching for a specific resource you will not disclose to the players. Make the leader into a overly righteous and charismatic person who gets celebrated back home. Keep the character for an optional BBEG. Depending on how they play, make either the resource or the power schemes more important. If they go off rails, just let them and adapt the setting.

Boom, done.
>>
>>55242468
an "encounter" can be a puzzle/devious trap, or interacting with important NPCs, and also not every group of monsters must be fought. It sounds crazy to new/modern players but there was a time when monsters were a thing to be avoided and that was the encounter (by stealth or by chase).
>>
>>55242468
It really depends, I know most DMs I've played with, along with what I do, can and will give xp for certain social encounters, or even completely bypassing combat if you're clever. I would hope WoTC had also considered things outside of combat encounters since you can use spells in these situations. However I haven't been in, or ran, a campaign that met the 6-8 encounters a day either way.

Mostly the impact you'll see is if you have PCs that rely on short rests to stay helpful to the party beyond being an extra set of arms and hit points.
>>
>>55242566
>https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/08/31/how-resurrection-works-on-a-dead-zombie/
Perkins is rather low on the chain, but it's something to wortk with.
>>
>>55242566
whatever you want it to be, you're the DM.
>>
Advice for playing an alchemist character? Going outlander monk for the herbalism kit + alchemist tools proficiencies. Guessing alot of my turns will be spent scavenging for ingredients.
>>
>>55242598
>>55242513
>an "encounter" can be a puzzle/devious trap, or interacting with important NPCs, and also not every group of monsters must be fought.
I understand this, the DMG even describes potential non-combat encounters, but the book only provides rules for building encounters based on XP and the only thing XP seems to be awarded for is encounters with monsters.

Is there somewhere I can find trap DCs by level, or the amount of XP I should be awarding players for avoiding a trap?
>>
>>55242566
1. Its only Undead so long as it's re-animated. If you kill it a second time and it's no longer animated, it's just dead.

2. If the soul is still there, chances are if you've defeated a spectre the soul was freed and allowed to pass on to another plane.
>>
How strictly do you guys (or your DMs) follow up on material components for spells?

Do you or your DMs make a big point of encumbrance? Or do you normally get a bag of holding early on?
>>
>>55242677
>Current DM doesn't use material components
>No micromanaging of encumbrance unless someone gets too loot happy and has like 15 longswords.
>>
>>55237216
That's making a lot of assumptions and favoring the die to always roll average, or does this happen in your games often?

Whiteroom theorizing is useless and irrelevant precisely because it doesn't reflect actual play at all, maybe you should try it.
>>
>>55242677
>How strictly do you guys (or your DMs) follow up on material components for spells?
Unless it says it is consumed by the spell I normally hand wave that the person has it or has gotten it when in town at some point.

>Do you or your DMs make a big point of encumbrance? Or do you normally get a bag of holding early on?
Entirely depends on the campaign I'm running, if I'm going for big damn heros then I don't normally worry too much about it within reason. If I'm going for more a survival/wilderness campaign then I have people keep track of that. Also depends on the rolls for loot can't use a certain set of d100s because it gave the party two bags of holding within four levels. Stuck with it because I'm a man of my word and that's what the dice rolled.
>>
>>55242715
>That's making a lot of assumptions and favoring the die to always roll average
You don't know how averages work, do you?
>>
>>55242629
it's up to your DM what is allowed as the PHB and DM's guide don't give solid crafting rules. As for my midwife/researcher character I scavenge parts from monsters when I can as well as collect the random herb when nothing is going on. I try not to derail the adventure with my collecting.

I go on the adventure with the other players and whenever we stop for a short rest I ask if there is anything of interest to pick up (lichen on the walls, any plants or whatever) and then we move on.
>>
>>55242643
Yes. The DMG has tables for traps at page 120 and categorizes them as "setback", "dangerous" and "deadly". If you want to translate to exp, I suggest you go to the encounter thresholds for your party's current level and just start at deadly equals deadly and go down from there. I'd also consider if the traps is a threat for the whole party or just one person.
>>
>>55242677
If they have a component pouch, the pouch is automatically assumed to contain all no-cost materials. This is directly stated in the rules.

As for for-cost materials, it depends. If it's something easily attainable, i'm fine with just teleporting the gold out of their inventory with the assumption they bought it the last time they were in town. If it's something that wouldn't be reasonably purchasable in any town, they have to actually have obtained it at some point.
>>
>>55242754
Do you know how averages work?
A PC always rolling average isn't always true.
>>
File: doggy.jpg (290KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
doggy.jpg
290KB, 1536x1536px
>>55242163
THAT QUESTION'S BORING BECAUSE IT AIN'T GOT NO DOG

NEW QUESTION: DOES YOUR CAMPAIGN HAVE A DOG? IS HE A GOOD BOY?
>>
>>55242754
Have you actually tried playing or do you just make a lot of baseless assumptions? Does this happen in your games often?
>>
>>55242788
Do you know where it states this in the players handbook?
>>
>>55242824
my group just got the blink dog they befriended killed by a displacer beast because they were throwing rocks at bubbling swamp water
>>
>>55242805
>A PC always rolling average isn't always true.
no, but it can be assumed to be true, because over a large enough length of time and results, the average is...well...average.

>>55242842
>Have you actually tried playing or do you just make a lot of baseless assumptions? Does this happen in your games often?
Do average results happen often? On average...yeah.

>>55242824
>NEW QUESTION: DOES YOUR CAMPAIGN HAVE A DOG? IS HE A GOOD BOY?
Your question is redundant good sir, A dog is a good boy, so if there is a dog, he is a good boy.
>>
>>55242856
I would kill of my character out of shame for getting doggo killed. Poor doggo
>>
>>55242848
Have you tried reading the entry for "Component Pouch"?
>>
>>55242824
My party has a mastiff named Mike who carries stuff
he's a very good boy
>>
>>55242874
they nearly died to some vegepygmies ten minutes later
>>
>>55242866
Actually averages appear in mathematics because higher rolls and lower roles balance out, not specifically because people roll the actual average.
>>
File: vW01RJQ.png (114KB, 385x116px) Image search: [Google]
vW01RJQ.png
114KB, 385x116px
>>55242848
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/06/16/is-the-intent-behind-a-component-pouch-that-you-reach-into/

No-cost components can also be ignored if the caster is using a casting focus.
>>
>>55242824
We don't have a dog but we do have a golem and a crocodile who are both good boys. Does that count?
>>
>>55242884
>>55242900
Thanks

Is it just me or does Jeremy seem like an annoyed girlfriend in these tweets?
>>
>>55242940
>We do have a golem and crocodile
Come on the Goliath can't be that ugly and I doubt the lizardman would appreciate being called a crocodile
>>
>>55242960
you would too when the answer is clearly stated in the book people refuse to read before asking such questions.
>>
>>55242970
>implying golems are ugly
Their features are literally chiseled anon
>>
>>55242960
He's a massive faggot, both literally and metaphorically.
>>
>>55242824
I am running Curse of Strahd. *lots* of canines. Very few are good.

Because I'm also running Barber of Silverymoon in Curse of Strahd (where Patrina plays the role of Annis Hag) one of my werewolves who got magical hair becomes a lightning wolf, capable of some crackling shit as long as he never gets wet.

He's a good guy. A complicated guy at least. Wolf Path barbarian in his pc stats in case any of my players ever die and want to go on as him
>>
File: gollum11_lrg.jpg (35KB, 429x430px) Image search: [Google]
gollum11_lrg.jpg
35KB, 429x430px
>>55242995
>Golem
>As in LotR
I get they aren't side the same but come on man
>>
>>55243016
Said*
Fucking phone
>>
>>55242999
Why?
>>
File: i shall never smile again.jpg (29KB, 552x689px) Image search: [Google]
i shall never smile again.jpg
29KB, 552x689px
>playing rogue
>dm has this dumb houserule for crits
>instead of doubling the damage dice, you add a maximized die to the roll
>*a* maximized die
>my sneak attack crits do an entire extra 6 damage instead of an extra 3d6
>talk to the dm about it
>"Hey, had to tone you down somehow"
>he thinks rogues are overpowered
>I'm not even playing an assassin
>>
>>55243083
Does he allow MCing? If so roll up a sorcadin and show him what overpowered means.
>>
>>55243083
ABORT! ABORT!
Your DM is too retarded. You need to get the fuck out.
>>
>>55243099
Please explain further about what makes sorcerer paladins good. It sounds interesting as fuck since I like both.
>>
>>55243016
>comparing that thing to a goliath
Golem is like 3ft tall you can't blame me for getting confused
>>
>>55243083
>dm that houserules in hard as fuck nerfs to PCs
>not even a particularly strong class either
>not just buffing up encounters to compensate
Abandon ship with all due haste.
>>
>>55243119
It's the ugliness that was meant to be the comparison. It wasn't the best joke I'll admit
>>
>>55243117
>Be Paladin
>Be able to smite using spell slots
>Be Sorc
>Be having a shitload of spell slots
>Be having sorcery points to into spell slots
>>
>>55243150
the problem lies with them not being anywhere close to the same creature, also not pronounced the same, also not spelled the same.
>>
>>55243170
There's also becoming indestructible by gaining the ability to cast Shield
>>
Which bard cantrips do you guys prefer the most? I'm having a hard time deciding between friends, mage hand, minor illusion, and prestidigitation.
Also any fun ideas for what one can do with any of them?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170905-121403.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170905-121403.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>Dming AL for my FLGS

>store has been garnering some dosh from board games and mtg, so the owner hired a part timer to schedule events and help with stuff

>they give me free reign to organize, treat it like it's a project, printing ad source material from WotC, helping spread the word on FB, store makes a fb group specifically for AL

>everyone including store workers super hyped for ToA release and first adventure

>decide to run every other Saturday because "weds wtf were they thinking?!"

>players post their ideas for characters for the event; first I see "Lizardfolk ranger" then "Tabaxi monk"...am A little rustled but fuck me I'm DM my judgement is in game not character selection and AL rules state they can do these characters as long as they stick to a faction and the PHB +1 rules.

>run my first game this past Saturday went super well. Ran "A Thousand Tiny Deaths" and players were mega-ultra polite. Only one was sperging a moderate amount (the tabaxi) but the anon's friend (lizard) kept whispering for him to chill.

>2 other players showed up, a grognard father and his high school aged son. I put away my awkwardness and was super welcoming and friendly and they turned out to be shy roleplayers but were very eager to learn and play. They were a pirate cleric and a high elf wizard (pregen)
>>
>>55243117
Forget the exact spread but pretty much take a few levels of Paladin and then spec into sorcerer, all spell points converted into slots for more smites. Mix in GWM with a greatsword or great axe and start pumping out damage.

A none mc way to be ridiculous, if you can use feats, play valor bard with a hand crossbow, grab QBE, sharpshooter and at level ten swift quiver.
>>
>>55243083
Didn't you post this weeks/months ago?
Just quit, it's the only sensible choice.
>>
>>55242824
Any paladin who doesn't use find steed to summon a 6 intelligence mastiff is a faggot
>>
File: Screenshot_20170817-223947.png (1007KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170817-223947.png
1007KB, 720x1280px
>>55243226

>cont.

>the other was a dragonborn sorcerer, a guy whose only experience with d&d was using his MtG cards to create an "encounter deck" for his players. He said it was freeform mostly, but he enjoyed making epic narratives from it and said his players loved it. I will admit I that I was charmed by him

>charmed by the whole group actually. I was very surprised that everything went better than expected!

> fast forward to today. My player's have told their friends about the adventurer's league and the Facebook group is blowing up. The store is also told me that they're willing to give me discounts on anything I might need in order to run on my game like Miniatures dice and other supplements. This includes books. I told them that that's not necessary really what I would like to do is try to start a little program to get people interested in learning how to dm.

> if there's a downside to the story it's that for one I'm not getting paid to do this, which would be awesome because that would be my dream job. The other downside is that all of these new players want to play Firbolgs, goblin shamans, and bugbears...which makes me cringe a lot inside but...what can you do it's their fun. Oh and I forgot to mention that the store owner is helping me DM in case we get lots of people.
>>
>>55243194
You'd be surprised how many people still pronounce them close enough, or the same, also the gray skin.
>>
>>55243216
Prestidigitation and Minor Illusion to give yourself all the 80s concert and anime sfx you need for your performances and social interactions. Glam up your team mates too.
>>
>>55243101
>>55243134
I would abandon if not for the fact that he's the only dm I know
>>55243256
Yeah, someone suggested I talk to my dm about it, but that didn't help
>>
>>55243269
Sounds like fun, why cringe at the racial choices? Also what country? Or state if US?
>>
>>55243032
>Literally
He's gay.

>Metaphorically
He's also kind of a douche bag.
>>
>>55243344
I still cannot believe this man put a literal gay quota on the books
>>
I want to make feats equal in strenght to get more diversity, instead of everyone picking the very strong ones. So I decided to make a list of feats I allow to be used in my games, the list also includes changes to feats from the [PHB] and [UA], Erratas are mostly changes, if something is kicked out I note it, if the entire feat is changed I put it in its entirety. Anons from last thread helped, I'm gratefull. Open for new ideas/balances, cuz let's face it Mike Mearls won't make the game better, he was the cunt behind 4E after all.

Link :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FOG_SWangULGjS-X-uI8U5BKth5b2gg5xypQHO_SkTA/edit?usp=sharing
>>
File: Screenshot_20170814-213558.png (751KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170814-213558.png
751KB, 720x1280px
>>55243312

USA, Ohio.

I cringe because it bores me. I understand every player wants to be original and interesting so they pick really outlandish races because they are special and different than humans. The only one who roleplay their character very well was the lizard-folk and I'm pretty sure that the player himself is probably a DM.

For me I fantasize of parties full of dwarves taking down the tomb of Horrors. I think that how you play a character has less to do about superficial things like classes and races and more about personality, characteristics and flaws. So really it's just a matter of taste.
>>
>>55243376
>I think that how you play a character has less to do about superficial things like classes and races and more about personality, characteristics and flaws.
I understand this feel all too well.
>>
>>55243216
If you don't got Vicious Mockery, I refuse to call you a Bard on principle
>>
>>55242824
>Party sneak is a halfling
>Has a dog
>named him warhorse
>claims he owns a warhorse
>derpiest fucking dog. Not even a war dog
>Still a good boy
>>
>>55242866
No it really can't, because that doesn't actually reflect actual play. The dice are too random, the d20 is too incredibly swingy. You realize you're playing a game of chance, don't you?

Have you actually played?
>>
>>55243403
What kind of a faggot does not include vicious mockery, you insult someone and they get a head ache, most bard thing ever. You can also use it in social interaction, seriously what a faggot.
>>
File: 1502133182331.jpg (39KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
1502133182331.jpg
39KB, 600x456px
>>55243403
>Tfw killed at least three people with vicious mockery when I played a bard
>>
>>55243452
That is some glorious fuckery, and I want to hear all about it.
>>
I haven't played in a while and I'm rolling up a paladin for a game I've found myself signing up for. Any ideas lads?
>>
>>55242410
Play as war profiteers. Avoid putting them in mass combat, but instead both stealing from and setting up supply lines and fencing groups.
You could also have them be able to grab their "fair share" of the war spoils or even actively break into a vault during a siege to get there first.
>>
>>55242513
THIS. An encounter is not only combat. It's traps, puzzles, exploration, negotiation, all of the fun parts of D&D. 6-8 combats in one session is insane. 2-4 is the sweet spot
>>
>>55243287
>I would abandon if not for the fact that he's the only dm I know
no game is better than a bad game.
>>
>>55243471
>>55243452
And here I am with a GM who thinks that "fascinate" counts as hostile action.

"Hey kids, want to see a cool trick ?"

"GUARDS ! SEIZE THAT MAN !"
>>
>>55243403
>>55243437
When I said I was having a hard time choosing between those four, its because I only have one slot left after vicious mockery.
>>
>>55243488
>Paladin/Rogue OR Paladin/Monk of Shadow
>Chaotic Good
>Paladin of wealth redistribution
>Literally steal from the rich to give to the poor
>Oath of vengeance with a heavy emphasis on restitution
>Background as a criminal
>>
>>55243564
Take it again you very friendly person on the internetTHAT I WILLbe nice to because I'm not a fag-bard but instead a kind Monk
>>
>>55243488
Make him a paragon of hard work. When in a settlement he helps people regarding work and makes sandals.
>>
>>55243471
Really each was all about good timing
>Traveling down the road
>Run into not!men in tights
>Front liners keeping them tied up
>No one needed any boost so threw a random vicious mockery at a guy
>"Those green tights are the ugliest thing I've seen and you should be ashamed for going out in public in them fatty."
>"......but I thought we looked decent"
>Back swing of one of his friends catches him in the throat
>>
>>55243564
And taking Vicious Mockery again is completely out of the question?
>>
Is smiting always tied to spells this edition?
>>
>>55243649
^This, we all know if you take it twice it increases the DC to adorable.
>>
>>55243658
Says "spell slots", not "divine spell slots".
They've got a point.
>>
>>55243637
>Running from some bandits because scouting with the rogue went fubar
>Threw a couple spells to slow them down and the rogue tossed a couple daggers
>Run through a room we know is trapped with those swinging axes
>Trigger a tile we know will set it off
>"Your mother was a whore and obviously your father was some kind of animal or an orge!"
>"Hey mi mum was a saint!"
>Woosh, cut in half because he had slowed
>>
>>55243637
>>55243713
And they say Bards are useless.
And yet they mock us by explaining to newbies 1D4 is dice reserved for "Bard Damage".
>>
File: 1478929627706.jpg (167KB, 1280x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1478929627706.jpg
167KB, 1280x1195px
>>55243376
>cringing at anything that isn't human-looking race #45
I do play humans, but I love to get out of the humanoid element now and then, Grung might be playable in ToA (one of the surrogate characters is a green grung rogue) and if that is the case, I know at least 2 other people who will make one, so that DM will have 3 frog men at least in his group

I been RP'ing and D&D'ing for close to 20 years, I know how to make something stand out not just because of it's race.
>>
>>55243770
Grungs are confirmed race. 2 dex, 1 con, poison immunity, jump good

Kinda want a Yuan Ti hunting Grung party
>>
>>55243762
>And they say Bards are useless
Who the fuck thinks that?
>>
Anons? Long story short, I stumbled across this neat pic for a faerie dragon-based kobold, and I want to include such a race in my setting's feywild. Can I get some hints on how to tone this monster down?

Faerie Kobold
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
Size: Small
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Fluttering Wings: So long as you are not Restrained, Immobilized or Encumbered, you take no damage from falls. Additionally, you have Advantage on Jump checks.
Sparkling Breath: You can cast the Dancing Lights cantrip, using Charisma as your spellcasting ability.

Racial Feat: Strong Wings
Prerequisite: Faerie Kobold
Effect: You gain a Fly speed of 15 feet. At 10th level, this increases to a Fly speed of 30 feet. At 20th level, this increases to a Fly speed of 60 feet.
>>
>>55243824
literally nobody. 5e Bards are stupid powerful.
>>
File: 1497652314606.gif (1007KB, 202x258px) Image search: [Google]
1497652314606.gif
1007KB, 202x258px
>>55243836
>3.5 Bards
>>
>>55243824
My party does. My DM does too.
They only respect the "epic" feeling of rolling lots of dice

They're awful but the thing about awful groups is that at least they go on for a very long time
>>
>>55242163
There's one major 'adventurers' guild in my setting which is a relatively small continent
I styled them after the OSI from venture bros, with a matching Guild of Calamitous Intent.
Played 3 campaigns using it and the PCs make enemies of them everytime.
They've interpreted the relationship between the 2 organizations as sponsoring crime...
>>
Do we still keep DM's guild stuff anywhere?

I kinda want that Elven Tower - Curse of Strahd stuff
>>
> Turtle race
> Still no Eberron campaign setting

It's like WotC doesn't like money or something
>>
>>55243762
My favorite was the big bad's lieutenant
>Fights been going on for a while
>Near out of spells and saving them for getting people back into the fight or after
>"Hey fuck face, you remember your soon to be wife the countess? Well hope you enjoy my sloppy seconds and judging by that cod piece she'll be really disappointed."
>"You little shit!"
>Took a step forward and got decapitated by our Barbarian's back swing
It's not always you shine with it, but those moments you do make you feel like a king.
>>
>>55243824
My friends, this is how they explain DnD dice to newbies. Usually in front of me, a guy who mains bards because I allways end up as party leader and have to do diplomacy, fucking ran a +1 Charisma fighter and did more social than fighting.

-shows all the dice except 1d4-

"And this anon, is the dice Bard uses to deal damage."
>>
>>55243854
Your group is retarded
>>
>>55243901
>It's like WotC doesn't like money
>Eberron will make money because /5eg/ likes it

fool
>>
>>55243824
People who don't play 5e or play with idiots who don't know what they're doing.
>>
>>55243909
Best part is no one is immune to it.
>>
>>55243824
>>55243836
>>55243854
>>55243918
>>55243924
>>55243928
I dont know what I am doing (new to dnd). What makes bards good? The fact that they get proficiency with almost every skill? (Or atleast half proficiency since Jack). Or something to do with their spells?
>>
>>55243946
It is nice that they made it psychic damage
>>
File: 404.gif (1MB, 664x550px) Image search: [Google]
404.gif
1MB, 664x550px
>>55243975
>the ability to give people extra bonuses to their rolls
>Bard spell list is good
>get to select spells from ANY spell list
>good skill monkeys
>eventually get expertise
>>
>>55242163
There's been a resurgence of adventuring-as-a-profession lately, but mostly it's just a bunch of idiots going out into wild, untamed places and getting themselves killed. Very few veterans left.
>>
>>55243975
They are very good at their two main roles.
- Face Man (If the player is not a raging autist)
- Utility Spells

They can buff you without spells for skill checks and help you heal faster. They are the controllers of combat if usen wisely and one of the rare classes that forever virgins can't play well.
>>
>>55243975
There are very few situations where a bard can't meaningfully contribute to what's going on, whether that's via skillmonkeying, inspiration, or their spell list
>>
Why would a banshee become a minion of a green dragon?
>>
>>55244035
If it was forced.

If you were a Banshee, are you about to tell a dragon "no"?
>>
>>55244035
Green dragon promised them a way to be brought back or to fulfill one of the main things that made them become a banshee
>>
>>55244035
Dragon is a cool guy by the name of Jim and prefers not to eat those he kills, instead giving them to the banshee to make her flock of sisters so they could all together sit down and play games and tell tales.
>>
>>55242163
>get shit hit dice rolls
>my fighter is now the squishiest member of the party
Fuck me...
>>
>>55244075
>Fuck me...
How skinny is that fighter? I am afraid my dwarf wizard would tear him apart.
>>
File: Ha Ha.jpg (6KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
Ha Ha.jpg
6KB, 197x256px
>>55244075
>rolling for hp
>>
>>55244075
Health is for the weak, Just never get hit and you'll be fine
>>
File: 1474619457853.jpg (25KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
1474619457853.jpg
25KB, 480x433px
>>55244075
>Rolling on level up
>>
>>55243083
That's bull. I keep power levels under 9000 by not allowing 20 in skills until a certain level and only after a quest.

That's DM is a douche. Take to the Web man find a new DM. Or DM your self.
>>
>>55244133
>>55244120
Because FUCK average!
>>
>>55243835
So... is this too overpowered to save? I did my best, but I can't think of an way to tone it down.
>>
>>55243835
Seems fine at first glance
>>
>>55244169
You posted it ~20 minutes ago and it's homebrew wait longer
>>
How much do you think the Lord's Alliance would pay to fund an adventuring party whose actions are becoming pretty well known locally? My party of level 4s are looking to fix up an old home for their modest base of operations, but repair and labor would likely be ~5000 gold.

They're still a bit poor for that so I'm thinking maybe they get 3000 worth of funds and have to pay the rest themselves.
>>
Are bards allowed to re-choose what spells they get from Magical Secrets upon leveling up?
>>
>>55244195

By RAW No, but if your DM doesn't let you he's an idiot.
>>
>>55244158
You chances of rolling average or under is always above 50% since it's rounded up.

d6 class: 33% of getting above average
d8 class: 37.5% of getting above average
d10 class: 40% of getting above average
d12 class: 41.67% of getting above average

So you are, on average, going to end up with as much or fewer hit points when you roll than you are to get higher, so you might as well just take the average.
>>
>>55244195
I believe sage advice said you can, but only to another bard spell
>>
>>55244193
Lord's Allience will overpay them. they are not the Zhentarim. Just they won't give all the money on front, sometimes you won't even give the money. But alas they are generous.
>>
>>55244236

So then you're not changing you're magical secret, you're just swapping out a spell.
>>
>>55243835
Seems like a gnome with slow fall and a feat. I'd allow it.
>>
>>55244220
But just taking static numbers is so not D&D, though.
>>
>>55243835
So you want it as a monster, but you gave it pc stats?
>>
>>55244253
You're not changing out your magical secret, you're giving it up for another bard spell. I have no idea why anybody would do that, but the option is there
>>
>>55244280
I'd rather be average than complaining about being the squishiest as the fighter
>>
>>55244195
>>55244236
You can not, fuck Mike Mears and his knowledge of the system, he has no idea what he is talking about.

Just say to your DM you made a mistake, no one is that much of an ashole to prevent you from changing them.
>>
Speaking of magical secrets what are some really good spells to grab with it?
>>
>>55244316
Wasn't Mearls m8, Crawford ruled on it
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/13/a-spell-learned-via-magical-secrets/
>>
>>55244345
>https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/13/a-spell-learned-via-magical-secrets/
>The new spell must also be a bard spell

But magical secrets treats all spells as bard spells, so doesn't this mean you can choose any spell again?
>>
>>55244378
Bard spell is a spell from the bards spell list, is that so hard? You treat it as if it were a bard spell for some abilities and spells.
>>
>>55244325
Aura of Vitality and Swift Quiver are absolutely busted, especially because you get them sooner than the classes they're supposed to be for.
>>
>>55244410
>The chosen spells count as bard spells for you and are included in the number in the Spells Known column of the Bard table.
So if you must choose a bard spell, and chosen spells using Magical Secrets are Bard spells, then are you not choosing a Bard spell by choosing a spell from any spell list?
>>
>>55244169
Seems ok, kinda neat even. I'd allow them.
>>
>>55244435

Well yeah, because both those classes are half casters.

If Artificer gets class specific spells, they'll be able to steal them too.
>>
>>55243975
It's that they're the raspberry Pi of classes all while giving you all the freedom in the world to be yourself as a character. They are Role-play baked into mechanics, done right.

You want someone with a profession? Expertise. You want to be a necromancer? Pick up Animate Dead and Crusader Mantle.

But most of all, it's a character to whom talking the talk *is* walking the walk, and in game where every one is sitting around talking at each other, that shit is heaven

There's a reason why whenever forever DM's get to play, 8/10 times they'll go for the Bard man.
>>
>>55244437
Anon I really don't see why this is difficult. If you pick a spell with magical secrets ONLY that spell becomes a bard spell. Every other spell from every other list is not one.
>>
>>55242824
It's got a disgusting pile of filth called Mastiff. He's probably going to prison next session, and i'm taking his job.
What are some good dog-related titles/nicknames for a Ranger?
>>
>>55244325
>>55244435
Would Find Steed be any fun to use? I feel like a bard rocking a guitar atop a mounted beast is not only fun for role playing, but having a mount allows for cover and such.
>>
I hear many people say Lore Bards are THE best caster in 5e.

is this true?
>>
>>55244510
The most versatile for sure. Not sure if the very best caster. I think Wizards will always hold that role.
>>
>>55244493
The bloodhound
Man's best friend
Kujo
>>
>>55244378
It's to prevent you picking a level 3 spell at level 6 and then turning it into a level 7 spell at level 13.
>>
>>55244510
You can make an army made out of forks and knifes. I don't know anon, you tell me.

On a serious note yes they are, they have so much other stuff they can do besides spells, and they can allways be first on the initiative order if they take Alert, amazing class.
>>
>>55244496
It takes a good DM to make an animal companion worthwhile

I recommend against it. Role-play for a fine steed instead, or buy a Find Steed scroll instead
>>
I don't feel bards needed to exist, they should have just made a wizard/sorc subclass instead.

You can't make subclasses for bard since lore bard basically already does everything.
>>
Ideas for a magic staff that manipulates emotions?
>>
>>55244510
Yes.
It's complicated. They don't have the best casting in the game, but the truth is that the casting they have is attached to some sweet features.

It's lightning in a bottle which is why all other subclasses of Bard have kind of sucked
>>
>>55244568
Lore is just too good.

Bard is a broad enough idea to be it's own class, I just don't think it's subclasses were well made.
>>
>>55244577
Staff of charming
>>
>>55244577
Staff of Summon Mass Bards.
You can never have enough bards.
>>
File: sageadvice.jpg (25KB, 331x147px) Image search: [Google]
sageadvice.jpg
25KB, 331x147px
The other this exact same situation happened at my table, a beholder used disintegrate ray on the druid and it dropped him to 0 hp.

In the moment I had to make a ruling if my PC was dead or not, I ruled as not.

Now looking at Crawford's opinion he says that RAW he is dead but RAI is not. What do you guys think in this case? Also is it better to follow RAW or RAI in your opinion?
>>
>>55244632
Staff of summon staff of summon mass bards

You can never have enough staves of summon mass bards.
>>
>>55244655
Definitely follow Raw in this situation.

Wildshaping can be more than a little bullshit at times, and I have a pet hate of druid players
>>
>>55244655

I'd go with RAI, since people fuck up when writing systems.
>>
>>55244682
Totally not biased at all here. Nope. Totally just fuck over a player when the developers didn't intend for such a scenario to occur, just because you don't like the class they're playing.

Fuck off.
>>
>>55244655
In my opinion it's almost like a spiritual form abstracted from the actual druids form, so "dying" as a transformed druid doesn't actually mean the druid died, just that the transformation ended.
>>
>>55244655
Raw. I like the idea of putting the fear of God into my players when some niche situations arise.
>>
>>55244185
>>55244264
>>55244449
I'm surprised and gladdened to hear that the first draft doesn't look overpowered at all. Actually, do anons think it might be a little underpowered? Should I maybe give it a little boost?
>>
>>55244708
Butthurt treehugger detected
>>
What's the most damage an AL legal level 1 character can do? I'm guessing some variant human GWM/SS cheese.
>>
>>55244708
Oh yes, of course, because being immortal and playing for 12 rounds every combat should come with no situational drawbacks ever.

Especially if you ever reach that level 20 and just instantly restore your elemental form every bonus action
>>
>>55244737

Half-Orc barb raging and critting with a great axe.
>>
>>55244759
Oh yes, totally ignore the way the developers, y'know, the guys that actually know balance, in order to stroke your hateboner more.

Adventures rarely ever get to level 20.
>>
>>55244632
>be lvl 20 EK
>polymorph into bard
>>
>>55244759
>instantly restore your elemental form every bonus action
You can't just "refresh" your wild shape every turn. You can use it when your wild shape expires, on your next turn after it drops to 0, or to revert to normal and wait until your next turn to transform again.
>>
>>55244795
I think I found the druid
>>
File: Spoodermanne.png (347KB, 453x311px) Image search: [Google]
Spoodermanne.png
347KB, 453x311px
>>55244795
>Guys that actually know balance
>>
>>55242824
In my group, I've got a UA Beastmaster Ranger who has a wolf for their companion. So far he's om nom'ed an enemy mage and, upon "defeating" the enemy group (the surrendered), the wolf proceeded to pee on them, marking him as his property. Also, the owner is known to be a bit "loose" when it comes to alcohol, so the wolf ends up making sure they don't get into too much trouble when things start to go sideways or they try to perform drunken antics.

So yes, he's a good boy.
>>
>>55242677
You don't need material components if you have an arcane focus like a staff, wand or musical instrument. Why do your characters not have foci? You're given them at 1st level ffs.
>>
>>55244737
I would say highest average is around 10-12, that is if they roll max dice.

>>55244764
I think anon wants the average max damage so he could balance the encounter, not damage in the best most epic case scenario.
>>
>tfw you try to buy a mastiff as a mount but the DM won't allow it because he has a thing about killing dogs and can't stand the thought of the dog dying in combat.

Like what? You have killed several npc's and a player character in horrible ways. What is so wrong about killing an Imaginary dog.
>>
>>55244798
Why would you do that? Because you realised Bard is the only way? Autisam is uncureable, you have to play a bard not dress as one.

Allso take 2 Psionic damage.
>>
>>55244846
They're a lot better at it than /tg/
>>
>>55244869
Maybe he had a dog that died badly
>>
File: Heresy.jpg (92KB, 460x587px) Image search: [Google]
Heresy.jpg
92KB, 460x587px
>>55244869
>Killing good boys
>Even as Chaotic Evil

Somebody hold me back, I'mma fight him!
>>
>>55244862
You still need the materials if they have a gold cost, those can't be replaced by a pouch or focus
>>
>>55244897
I've had my home burn down to the ground with all my belongings and pets inside and had to watch them be hopelessly CPR'd by a bunch of firefighters but I don't sperg whenever I see a house on fire in my imaginary tabletop game.
>>
>>55244846
Given the shit I've seen here, they clearly know more than you lot.
>>
>>55243824
Literally the lore bard in my party does, whenever he actually decides to buff/debuff he's great but he gets annoyed that he doesn't do a ton of damage so he's always doing way less useful shit like throwing darts and lightning bolts.
Direct damage is seriously the only thing that bards don't excel at, though, so it's not like he's useless he just wastes time trying to be an Evoker sometimes.
>>
>>55244862
Most DMs ignore magical focus, no one is going to be a dick and steal your focus, because no one knows what your focus is anyway. Only in cases when you are completly robbed do you have to pester the DM to make up a cost for it. All components that are free can be cast trough the focus, focus is any item you chose. I don't know maybe a ring your father gave you, usually something sedimental.
>>
>>55244864
>I would say highest average is around 10-12, that is if they roll max dice.

And how would that be done?
>>
>>55244920
Some people have different sensitivities, don't be a dick.
>>
>>55244920
Holy shit anon were your minis okay?
>>
>>55244933
>usually something sedimental
Only if you're a druid
>>
>>55244933
>usually something sedimental
>his focus isn't a big ass rock
>>
>>55244942
My cool oozes melted, i was pretty peeved
>>
File: Blown the fuck out.gif (882KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
Blown the fuck out.gif
882KB, 500x335px
>>55244927
Wow, you really got me there anon-chan. Guess I'll stop complaining about my vanilla beastmaster ranger, anything-other-than-lore bard and my purple dragon knight fighter.

I sure did get told hard.
>>
>>55244933
>something sedimental
I hate sand. It's coarse and rough on your fingers
>>
>>55244737
PAM VH

1d10+3 + 1d4+3

That's 20 max dice
>>
>>55244963
I need to get a fire retardant something for my mini collection I know it won't stop them from melting but it would make me feel good
>>
>>55244974

Half orc barbarian critting with a great Axe is 3d12+5, for a max of 41

But I guess the highest possible is a Cleric critting on Inflict Wounds for 6d10
>>
>>55244934
Any class using weapons can do it. Those using strenght melee weapons can easilly do it while ranged users can do it of they max out. Warlock can also do it, and so can Cleric with Spiritual Weapon. Generally an opponent with 8-12 HP is fine to throw at the party, and give him a +3-+5 to hit and that should be fine, AC of 12 is cool. Just for the love of god never play intelligent goblins who know they can disengage as a bonus action, it tends to kill the party.
>>
>>55244966
>Muh Vanilla Beastmaster
>Devs are dumb

You fucking idiot, the devs released a revised version for a reason, and I've yet to see any anon make a revised version of anything and not have it be absolute shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_4.jpg (21KB, 357x261px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_4.jpg
21KB, 357x261px
>>55244970
There will be no place for sand in my new empire !
>>
>>55244970
Use silt. It is a fine material!
>>
>>55243901
turtle race where?
>>
>>55245057
>I've yet to see any anon make a revised version of anything and not have it be absolute shit

Kek, that's true. Anons can shit on things but they can't fix them.
>>
>>55245211
Some charity pdf
>>
>>55245211
Coming out for the Second Life event
>>
>>55245250
>second life
The game?
>>
>>55245057
>>55245247
They're plenty dumb but for entirely different reasons, a big one is their utter fuck up with the CR system, that even they admit they don't use, being only viable playing by AL rules. No real support for higher tier play because "our research shows no one plays in that area so we're not going to do little to nothing for it", the utter state of Lore Bard, the decision to put cavalier into the next book. Those are just the ones that come to mind right away
>>
Cavalier, class replacable by battle master and a feat,
>>
>>55245211
>Alligator Snapping Turtle-man
>+2 CON, +1 STR
>Powerful Build
>+1 AC
>Natural Weapon- Beak of Beakening- 1d8 Piercing+STR, 5ft reach
>Natural Camoflauge- can disguise self as a mossy lump in water if stationary
>Hold Breath 15 minutes
>>
File: 1412633843756.jpg (67KB, 314x328px) Image search: [Google]
1412633843756.jpg
67KB, 314x328px
>no homebew guys
>WHAT ABOUT MATT MERCER'S GUNSLINGER
>I just said no homebrew
>OKAY BUT I WANT TO PLAY AS MATT MERCER'S GUNSLINGER
>anon what part of this are you not understanding
>NO LOOK MATT MERCER'S GUNSLINGER IS REALLY BALANCED HERE'S THE PDF
>>
Anons? Do you think it's possible to convert the Irda into a 5e race?
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Irda

Kneejerk thought is an an Int/Cha race with Powerful Build and maybe some kind of polymorphing racial ability? I made this rule up for an attempt to do a better 5e changeling, but I don't know how powerful it is:

Polymorphic: As a bonus action, you can physically alter your appearance to resemble another humanoid creature of the same size category as yourself. This grants you double your Proficiency bonus on Stealth or Deception checks based on disguising yourself as another creature. Your equipment is unaffected by your transformation.
>>
How many levels can you put into a class before multiclassing becomes a bad idea?
>>
>>55245364
>>
File: 1503761188427.jpg (35KB, 525x384px) Image search: [Google]
1503761188427.jpg
35KB, 525x384px
>>55245357
Everytime, I will never understand how people don't get such a simple concept. Any more when it happens I just inform them they can play it at another table
>>
>>55245364
Usually 0.
>>
>>55244911
I didn't know that, as a dick GM this is valuable information. Thanks anon.
>>
>>55245416
Thats info all DMs should know
>>
>>55245392

It's strange how some people react to restrictions that way. I might like unusual races, but I won't push to play one if the campaign specifically doesn't allow them.
>>
File: 1312551947982.gif (160KB, 388x281px) Image search: [Google]
1312551947982.gif
160KB, 388x281px
>>55244727
>>
>>55245362
Actually... here's a first draft Irda; how overpowered is it?

Irda
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Charisma
Size: Medium
Vision: Normal
Powerful Build: You are treated as being one size category larger to determine your Pushing, Pulling, Lifting, Dragging and Carrying Capacities.
Born Wizard: You know the Mage Hand and Prestidigitation cantrips, which use Intelligence as their spellcasting ability score.
Polymorphic: As a bonus action, you can physically alter your appearance to resemble another humanoid creature of the same size category as yourself. This grants you double your Proficiency bonus on Stealth or Deception checks based on disguising yourself as another creature. Your equipment is unaffected by your transformation.

Mischta
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +1 Charisma
Size: Medium
Vision: Normal
Powerful Build: You are treated as being one size category larger to determine your Pushing, Pulling, Lifting, Dragging and Carrying Capacities.
Alternate Self: Choose one race from the list of Dwarf, Elf, Human, Halfling or Gnome. As a bonus action, you can physically shift into an alternate form, which is a single distinctive individual of the chosen race. When in your alternate form, you gain access to the racial features of that race, whilst retaining your ability score modifiers.
>>
>>55245057
Anons can and do revise stuff, no one wants to shill / share it as they don't consider it a problem unless WotC says it is.
>>
>>55244727
Shit, posted prematurely: yes is fine as is, if something, add flavour from folklore, boons and or flaw at the same time.
>>
>>55243835
Hmm... which of these two versions of the Faerie Kobold do anons think is better? The linked one, or this one here?

Faerie Kobold
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
Size: Small
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Fluttering Wings: So long as you are not Restrained, Immobilized or Encumbered, you take no damage from falls. Additionally, you have Advantage on Jump checks.
Polychromatic Charms: You can cast the Dancing Lights cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Color Spray as a 1st level spell once per long rest. At 5th level, you can cast Invisibility (self only) as a 2nd level spell once per long rest. All spells cast with this trait use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score.
Euphoria Breath: As a bonus action, you can exhale a puff of psychotropic venom at a single enemy within 5 feet. This is a natural attack that you have Proficiency with and which the victim can resist with a Wisdom save (DC 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus). On a failed save, the victim takes 2d6 Psychic damage, and half that damage on a successful one. Damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. Once you have used your Euphoria Breath, you cannot use it again until you complete a short rest or a long rest.
>>
I'm planning to have a three villains fighting for power instead of a single arch-villain. Finish the lineup for me.
>A necromancer viking, who wants to establish the world's first magocracy
>A vampire nobleman, who thinks people actually give a damn about families and kingdoms that died a thousand years ago
>?????
>>
>>55245679
Is the breath attack based or save based?
>>
>>55245684
A dragon who wants the other two to stop
>>
What would a build look like for someone who wants to multiclass into every class? What class would you start with and what would be the highest priority classes to take?
>>
>>55245684
>A regretful lich, who wants to rid the world of undeath and then slay himself
>>
>>55245211
[s]Dragon turtle blooded dragonborn.[/s]
>>
>>55245517
I don't mind unusual races so long as they a) fit in the setting that the table has agreed to play in or b) people at the table say they don't want it. If no one cares I'll normally do what I can to work it in but there are limits.
>>
>>55245724
Go normal human for an easy time getting to 13 in every stat, start as a fighter probably for proficiencies
>>
>>55245342
>Cavalier, class replacable by battle master and a feat,
CAVALIER IS NOT LIKE THE BM ANYMORE
>>
>>55245738
he said villains, anon
>>
>>55245211
Coming together with the grungs (race of cute frogs)
>>
>>55245754
With point buy and normal human you could start with 14, 14, 11, 14, 14, 14 stats
>>
>>55245581
The Irda's Polymorphic should be an action at the very most, perhaps even a full minute considering it seems to be a social ability. The Mischta's Alternate Self is fucking stupid, but if you're intent on keeping it then it should take AT LEAST a short rest. Being able to swap out racial traits on a whim is insanely powerful. Facing spellcasters? GNOME! Facing poison shit? DWARF! Doing literally anything else? HALFLING, NO MORE 1s FOR ME!

Even if you did keep this, how the hell would things like proficiencies work? Would you forget how to use light/medium armor after shifting out of Dwarf form? Would you forget skill and tool proficiencies, cantrips, Elf weapons, etc.? Racial features really weren't made to be swapped around, they're permanent features that reflect natural ability and cultural upbringing.
>>
>>55245784
Just make him more of a Hitler, going for his objective through war and genociding races just in case they had potential to rediscover necromancy.
>>
Why on earth did they not make spears finese versatile weapon with reach as standard.
>>
>>55245837
>implications
>>
>>55245838
cuz dex is already the best stat.
>>
File: 1494378355117.jpg (42KB, 285x287px) Image search: [Google]
1494378355117.jpg
42KB, 285x287px
>>55245837
>Mfw this reminded me of the lich I brainstormed who's name is an anagram of Hitler
>>
Doing setting stuff.
>Kobolds think they're descended from Dragons
>They're actually descended from Lizardmans, who Dragons are also descended from
Is this neat or too convoluted?

Basically Lizardmen (and their entire evolutionary tree) are multiple examples of "a wizard did it".

Semi-sapient pack hunting lizards-> Wizard fucks with to make the first Lizardmen as soldiers-> Escape into the murderswamp-> few hundred years later most people (including themselves) assume they're swamp natives-> Another few hundred years and they've split into 3 main tribes- Hulking Lizardmen that are about on par with Daedroths from Oblivion (which, thanks to magical bullshit, become the first proto-dragons over the next several hundred years), "normal" lizardmen, and diminutive ones evolving to live in mountains and caves (Kobolds)
>>
>>55245684
A metalic shadow dragon who thinks he's good guy in all of this
>>
>>55245679
Seems like over doing it a little with the extended spell-list and the breath weapon... why make it only damage? Why not based on, like, colour spray or something?
>>
>>55245884
It's not too farr off from the sarrukh, the pan-reptilian progenitor race in Forgotten Realms best known for being one part of the formula to create Pun-Pun.
>>
File: turtle in rain.jpg (100KB, 470x628px) Image search: [Google]
turtle in rain.jpg
100KB, 470x628px
>>55245211
>tfw no turtle race
>tfw only 1 turtle in the beastiary
>tfw can't have turtle familiar
>>
>>55245927
>>55245211
Red Steel did have a race of turtle people. They were called tortles. I use them.
>>
>>55245211
>>55245947
>>55245970
Reminder that Tortles are confirmed https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/09/03/tortles-as-a-playable-race-confirmed/
>>
>>55245353
Why not just run lizardfolk and reskin them as Alligator Snapping Turtles? That way you know it is balanced. Also everything I'd want a snapper to have is already covered under lizardfolk?
>>
>>55246028
Because that would be smart
>>
>>55242163
> Are your PCs the first of their kind as adventurers after a period of peace, or part of a world where adventuring is commonplace?

Adventuring is looked down upon as barbarianism. If you don't live in the city you've renounced civilisation as far as general opinion is concerned. You're no better than an animal.

So adventuring is rare, but not unheard of.
>>
>>55245357
This but with samurai. One dude was such a weeb. He named his character something Japonese. Tried to be "Blind Samurai" until the we got into what that would mean. He always tried to speak japonese/use that accent no matter how many times everybody at the table told him there was no japan/samurai in the setting. Also the One Punch Man theme . . . every . . . single . . . combat. Fuck my shit up fampai.
>>
>>55245859
I fixed that.
>>
>>55245859
Doesn't explain why they didn't do that.
>>
Dexterity - +1 to best save, +1 AC, +1 hit/damage with finesse/ranged
Strength - +1 to hit +2 to damage with melee and thrown weapons
Intelligence - +1 from choice of languages, artisan tools, musical instruments, game sets
>>
>>55245689
Save based, sorry.

>>55245818
Just to clear things up, the Mischta is supposed to have ONE alternate self, period. So you choose Dwarf/Elf/Human/Halfling/Gnome at character creation, and that's it, you can't EVER change into anything other than that ONE race.

That said... I really would like to figure out just what to do with both of them; the ability to shapeshift into other humanoids is a big part of their traditional lore & abilities.

>>55245901
Because a single ribbon and one cantrip felt underpowered to me. As for the breath weapon, I really wasn't sure how to convert the Faerie Dragon's pseudo-confusion ability to a PC attribute.
>>
>>55245786
Grung monk.

Poison baby.
>>
File: tumblr_nkjdppxgF61ssomt9o1_1280.png (688KB, 1280x1399px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkjdppxgF61ssomt9o1_1280.png
688KB, 1280x1399px
What's the most fun way to play a warlock? It seems like going chainlock, focusing on illusion invocations, and grabbing spells for mobility and exploration beats spamming eldritch blast easily.
>>
>>55246294
Using hypnotic pattern to wipe encounters
>>
What sorts of magical effects would prompt a charisma save?
>>
>>55246380

Posession.
>>
>>55246380
Being shunted into another dimension.
>>
File: Collector_General.jpg (92KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Collector_General.jpg
92KB, 900x675px
>>55246380
ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.
>>
>>55245770
They still use superiority die according to 5e tools. Is there a newer version somewhere
>>
>>55246380
shooting a man before throwing him out of a dimension
stealing this brain WITH NO SURVIVORS
>>
For future reference, an allied Mystic with Mantle of Command increases Fastbaxi's top speed. I'd recalculate the total but I don't wanna.
>>
>>55246455
It has been changed significantly from the UA version for its printing in XGE, but the changes haven't been shown anywhere
>>
>Vampire needs to cross some daylight
>Casts Darkness on himself
>Flies across the field as a bat
Would this work?
>>
>>55246651
Yes
>>
>>55246651
>>55246664
Well, you can't cast darkness on yourself, but you can on an object your holding.

Cast it on a coin, become bat, pick up coin, profit.
>>
>>55246465
If you fail this saving throw, would you die?
>>
>>55246076
>weeb friend roleplays pretty well, so we let his weebness slide
>whenever he roleplays a samurai, he pulls of a perfect "every character Liam O'Brien has ever VA'd" impresson.
>>
>>55246081
how so?
>>
>tortles confirmed
don't mean shit if they don't make them AL legal for my FLGS as that's the only game in town.
>>
>>55246831
Int goes to initiative.
>>
>>55242440
Just play diplomacy
>>
>>55246686
>dropping change as a vampire
Anon,
>>
>>55246891
Literally all this does is buff wizards
>>
>>55246981
It also stops int being as much of a dump stat and takes an edge off dex.

I actually think it's a pretty good idea, initiative isn't that big a deal really.
>>
Anons? Random question; if there's a magocratic city somewhere in my setting that's ruled by a sphinx god-queen who takes a human consort from the city's nobles once per generation, is that inherently magical realm?
>>
>>55247037
i'd say its a grey area
>>
>>55246294
That's a false dilemma. D&D includes combat, exploration, and roleplaying, and there's very little overlap where more than one of those is happening at the same time. That kind of warlock will have exploration down pat, and you'll have plenty of good roleplaying to do if you give your DM enough to work with regarding the nature of your patron and the exact terms of your pact. Combat will still be a lot of Eldritch Blast spam, but that's not really any worse than a fighter or rogue attacking a bunch.
>>
>>55246891
hmmm, honestly, initiative seems to fit wisdom more. The most alert and perceptive goes first.
>>
>>55247008
Do you mean Dex+Int or choosing between Dex OR Int? If it's the second, then no one that doesn't already spec high Int is going to switch from Dex for this. If it's the first, then all it does is buff Rogues, Wizards, and maybe EKs while incentivising making other classes more MAD for what you even admit isn't that big of a deal...
>>
>>55247037
As long as the selection process is not overtly sexual and the results after selection are not dwelled upon you're fine. More or less.
>>
>>55247081
Neither, you don't choose or add them

Dex doesn't go to initiative ever, its an int check instead of a dex check.

>>55247070
I think of it more as "yeah you might notice it, but you're going to need a moment to process the scenario and come up with a plan of action"
>>
>>55247037
Better question: why do the characters need to know this? That the city has a sphinx god-queen seems like useful information. Her sex life, not so much.
>>
New to D&D. My DM has a rule/belief(?) that ability modifiers should not be used during a standard D20 attack roll. So despite being a ranger with 20 dex firing a longbow, i'm not allowed to attach my modifier to the final score of the attack roll.

Is this a common thing DMs generally do in games?
>>
>>55247037
Is this something the players need to know? Why do you want to include this, instead of having the sphinx choose an androsphinx or criosphinx instead? If you include offhand references to the Prince Consort, will the players accept it in a mature way, or will they be grossed out, or will they be way too excited? These are the questions you must consider.

The answer to "can you do X without it being magical realm" is always "yes, but if you have to ask in the first place then you're approaching it the wrong way." Include everything for reasons other than its sex appeal, and if you don't have the maturity and willpower to separate its sex appeal from your judgment, then don't include it at all.
>>
>>55247037
>sphinx god-queen who takes a human consort from the city's nobles once per generation
But why?
>>
>>55247164
Your DM is being very weird. I have never, ever heard of someone doing that, nor do I know why they would. Even AD&D 1e gave you bonuses to ranged attack rolls for having very high Dex, though it worked differently.
>>
>>55247037
Make it so the Androsphinx the Queen loved was cursed, and is now being reborn as human from time to time. Now she searches for him
>>
>>55247164
your DM is just a retard
>>
>>55247164
That's fucking retarded, but at least you can stack AC and never get hit assuming that applies to monsters too
>>
>>55247164
that's stupid
that's a huge nerf to martials, how do you hit anything?
>>
>>55244655
RAI, fuck anyone who says RAW, especially if you pull that shit the moment it's actually relevant.
>>
>>55245353
>mfw they made an objectively better warforged
>mfw i'm gonna play the shit out of a alligator snapping turtle-man barbarian
>>
>>55247183
I asked him about it because the fighter in our group made a roll to tackle an enemy in hopes of restraining them. He was told to make a roll for a strength check and was allowed to use his modifiers. In my mind it just didn't make sense that tackling someone warranted a strength check, but swinging a sword somehow doesn't.
>>
What are some good early level control spells for a warlock to lay down in combat on their first round before laying into the enemies with eldritch blasts.
>>
>>55247164
lol your DM is a complete dumbass and is probably only a week less new to the system than you. find a new DM
>>
>>55247261
Those aren't official stats anon, I literally just took Lizardman and made him more turtle-y.
>>
>>55247266
Well given you need to have Hex, which eats up concentration, and one of two spell slots, you don't have many options.
>>
>>55247214
so far in the campaign my character has had about a 50% accuracy rating. I'm honestly too scared to even aim at an enemy if I have an ally thats close to the enemy because rolling low would probably result in me shooting the ally.
>>
>>55247266
hold person once you get 2nd level spells. not a whole lot of pickings outside of specific archetypes. archfey get sleep, fiend gets command, and GOO get's tasha's hideous laughter,
>>
>>55247144
>Dex doesn't go to initiative ever, its an int check instead of a dex check.
Well that's just fucking stupid
>>
File: challenging autism.png (340KB, 726x542px) Image search: [Google]
challenging autism.png
340KB, 726x542px
>>55247306
>need hex
>>
File: 1453305085627.gif (184KB, 960x512px) Image search: [Google]
1453305085627.gif
184KB, 960x512px
>>55242410
>Friend runs game dnd
>we're all level 2
>Bandits are harassing town
>okay
>go to bandit lair
>fat bandit with 300hp because of fat
>hours of sitting there doing nothing but rolling damage dice
>wizard stopped even trying to cast spells because of enemies HD/MP being ridiculous

>next session
>"You arrive at the checkpoint between nations. The General there comes out and informs you that war is happening."
>"Why is war happening?"
>DM retreats into his notes for an hour

I haven't played D&D since.
>>
>>55247319
Has your DM been diagnosed yet?
>>
>>55247306
>the need to have hex meme
Sure buddy. Let me waste my first spell levels so I can do an extra 1d6 damage to a single enemy on a turn.
>>
>>55247319
Sounds like you need a saving throw cantrip.

Or to leave that shitheap of a game.
>>
>>55247319
i'm almost convinced this is some weird bait of some sort. if not, you should tell your DM he's a fucking tard
>>
>>55247333

>Passing up on an extra d6 every attack.
>>
>>55247365
>early levels
>literally only getting 1d6 damage because you don't have multiple attacks
yeah I'd pass up on that if I can have the chance to completely disable an enemy for one turn and have my GWM fighter auto-crit him, dealing more damage than my piss stream of a cantrip does
>>
>>55247349
>improves every time you can fire another EB
>Can just switch targets throughout the day, getting your epell slot back after a short rest and still making use of it
>>
>>55247388
>GWM
>Early levels

Pick one
>>
>>55247403
>implying i don't play with muchkin variant human faggots who get GWM level 1
not to mention level 4 is still early levels and before warlocks get multiple beams on eldritch blast, so my point still stands
>>
>>55247354
It's not bait, my DM insists he's the most qualified expert in the game out of my group since he plays once a week with coworkers. I've only had the game for about a week and I'm just reading all the manuals to make sure I'm doing everything right, but the fact that I'm not allowed to use modifiers really limits the actions i can perform.
>>
File: adventure.png (252KB, 717x533px) Image search: [Google]
adventure.png
252KB, 717x533px
>>55245947
>can't have turtle familiar
What's stopping you?
>>
File: 1502392114753.jpg (61KB, 736x1137px) Image search: [Google]
1502392114753.jpg
61KB, 736x1137px
>>55247394
>asking for low level advice so the additional rays don't matter
>You have to kill the target to be able to reassign it
>You give up being able to use any other concentration spells while you're keeping it up
It's alright at higher levels, but I think your critical thinking skills need some work.
>>
>>55247414
>implying you're going to get much use out of it at level 1-4.

Enjoy missing shit when you only just manage to cancel out the -5 to hit penalty.
>>
>>55247353
I haven't read up on saving throws that much. From what I understand I can think I can use a saving throw whenever I'm in danger in hopes of protecting myself in whatever way is most appropriate. Is that right?
>>
>>55247428
It's not on the list of possible animals for Find Familiar
>>
>>55247455
Nah, sometimes when you cast a spell your target or targets make a saving throw against your spell save DC to avoid the damage and other effects.

I recommend you read the rulebook if you aren't familiar with them.
>>
>>55247420
>DM insists he's the most qualified expert
Here's some life advice, anyone who insists they are "the most qualified expert" in anything, they likely have no fucking idea what they are doing.
>>
>>55247455
The DM asks you to roll a saving throw, you don't roll a saving throw when you want. Like, if a monster tries to trip you with its tail, the DM might ask you to make a dex saving throw to not fall over.
>>
>>55247455
Yes. Many spells require a saving throw instead of an attack roll, including Cantrips.

For example, Sacred Flame, a Cleric cantrip, is a Dex (iirc?) Save or take 1d8 or something like that Radiant damage. So instead of you rolling to hit they roll to dodge.
>>
>>55247319
>rolling low would probably result in me shooting the ally
It shouldn't 'cause that's dumb and unfun, it's possibly realistic if you were shooting right through an ally but even then it should just be half-cover and if you miss you miss, shooting allies in the back accidentally isn't a fun idea

Your DM sounds like an asshat
>>
>>55247466
Anon, who cares? If your DM won't give you a boring ass fuckin' turtle for a familiar despite it not being on the list, he's not worth being at a table with to begin with.
>>
>>55247523
I mean, there is an optional rule for hitting cover. If you hide behind a creature or an object, and your attacker fails to hit your new AC but would otherwise hit you without the cover bonus, the cover is struck instead.

I'm playing a gun-heavy wild west game and use it. In the case of a creature target, I'd add the attack roll having to hit the cover's AC as well (so it wouldn't ever happen if you only hid behind people with AC that's at least 2 higher than yours).

So far, no one has tried to hide behind allies.
>>
>>55247551
I should also add that this is specifically for taking cover behind people, not "there is another creature in a straight line between you and your target"-type shenanigans. I certainly wouldn't do anything like that unless the interposing creature were Large or something. There's enough space to fire around Medium sized creatures, given that they take up a tiny amount of their 5x5x5 cube. I've played enough Mount and Blade with melee-shooting assholes to know how to act when I've got "allies" firing into my fight, and I assume PCs with ranged characters in their parties would have similar knowledge.
>>
>>55247480
>Here's some life advice, anyone who insists they are "the most qualified expert" in anything, they likely have no fucking idea what they are doing.
My advice is to avoid paying the surgeon's hourly rate, just have your appendix removed by the janitor, his hourly is much more reasonable.
>>
>>55247588
DRAIN THE MEDICAL SWAMP
>>
>>55247420
no one is a more qualified expert in D&D than the collective angry autistic hivemind of /tg/
>>
File: You Must Be New Here.jpg (75KB, 311x311px) Image search: [Google]
You Must Be New Here.jpg
75KB, 311x311px
>>55247620
You clearly haven't been reading the Homebrew.
>>
File: 1503470985777.png (4MB, 898x7091px) Image search: [Google]
1503470985777.png
4MB, 898x7091px
What CR should the Heirarch Modrons be?
>>
File: 822cc8eea0cb49faa4b7ab668fe63a62.jpg (171KB, 1440x1068px) Image search: [Google]
822cc8eea0cb49faa4b7ab668fe63a62.jpg
171KB, 1440x1068px
>>55247576
Yes but mount and blade is also a game where wearing armor seems to decrease your AC rather than increase it, if pvp experiences are any indication.
>>
File: 1503960897323.jpg (13KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1503960897323.jpg
13KB, 326x326px
>>55247642
but in my experience /tg/ shits on 99% of homebrew, especially here.
>>
Why does no one ever mention the synergy between Hex's ability check debuff and Arms of Hadar strength check and lack of concentration? It's one of the best warlock set ups I've seen so far.
>>
>>55247646
It's more like it very, very slightly lowers your AB. In exchange, you get a ton of DR. Only spammers with elite scims and bamboo sticks go naked.
>>
>>55247420
Your DM isn't only retarded, he's an arrogant retard. r
>>
>>55247523
I think the only reason I'm mad about his rule is the fact that I chose to give myself 20 dex because I figured it would be perfect since I use a bow. But because of the no modifiers rule I haven't used my dex stat for anything whatsoever throughout the campaign so far.
>>
>>55247679
you should be mad at it regardless. nat 1 "hahaha you hit your teammate!" shit is annoying as hell.
>>
>>55247654
With good reason
>>
>>55247644
Holy shit, that's terrifying. This is what Lawful Neutrals actually believe.
>>
>>55247588
I'm not saying don't trust experts, but if I had to get surgery and my surgeon reassures me he is "the most qualified expert" I would think he's full of shit. In my experience, "the most qualified expert" doesn't usually feel the need to call themselves that.
>>
>>55247664
hex debuffs ability checks, arms of hadar provokes a saving throw
>>
>>55247712
oh yeah, i know. but that just proves my point more than /tg/ collectively knows more shit about this system than most DMs, arguably more than WoTC knows about it, and most definitely more than the fucking brain-dead retard that thinks you don't add your ability scores to attack rolls
>>
>>55247679
That's also really stupid. In the rules as written, dex gives you damage and accuracy when using ranged weapons. Sure, dex is a decent bit better than strength thanks to other reasons, but there's no reason that shouldn't be the case other than being a stupid cunt about not liking certain character types.

It's like saying "Oh, dexterity shouldn't make daggers do more damage because you're not stabbing any harder." Okay, hypothetically sure, but that's just trying to kill the entire "sneaky rogue or swashbuckly nimble fighter" type because you're autistic about your idea of realism. D&D is not a simulationist game, if you want one go play Rolemaster or something.
>>
>>55247664
Saving throws aren't ability checks anon
>>
>>55247679
He's flatout ignoring a critical part of the game, he's a fucking dumbass.
>>
>>55247679
Rub this retard's face in page 194 of the player's handbook.
>>
>>55246598
How do we know it's not battlemaster-esque then? Not being sarcastic, genuinely want to know if it's been posted somewhere
>>
>>55247889
I believe Crawford mentioned it on twitter
>>
>>55247714
I'd live in that society desu
>>
Everyone roll for initiative
>I cast (spell) on (target)
Roll for initiative and then do that on your turn
>I start raging
>I hide
>I do thing

The fucking combat already started, roll for initiative means roll for initiative, not try to retroactively do something. Am I the only one that has this problem with my players?
>>
How's this for a cannon fodder minion?

Noospecter Twinmind

Aberration
Ac 18 (Natural 16+2)
16/14/12/8/10/6
Hit Points: 1
Saves Dex +2 Str +1
Senses: Truesight 15ft. Pssive perception 10
Condition immunities: Charmed, Frightened
Damage immunities: Psychic
Languages: 30ft passive telepathy (everyone hears it)

Evasion: Takes no damage on successful saves
Jibbering mess: Any creature that comes within 5ft must make a DC 14 wisdom throw or be frightened until the end of it's next turn. On a successful save creature is immune for 24 hours.

Attacks:
Multiattack.
2 melee attacks with +3 to hit that deal 4 psychic damage.
>>
>>55247889
One of the devs said the final version doesn't use superiority dice
>>
>>55247878
Thats the page I've been reading over which is why I was really confused when he implemented the rule
>>
What's the best class out of paladin, cleric, warlock, and ranger for a non-eldritch knight, ranged fighter to take a two level dip in? Also what's the best fighting style to pick up if paladin or ranger?
>>
>>55248058
UA ranger, and take archery
>>
What was the cheese thing for the sorclocks? Warlock 2, Sorcerer X?
>>
>>55247944
>someone dings your car and doesn't leave their insurance info, plays loud music at night, or lets their dog bark for an hour straight
>tattle on them to the horrifying eldritch entity at Police HQ
>watch them get melted into a pile of energy goo and thrown into the pool
>>
>>55248058
ranger or cleric. archery if you don't have it, if you do then pick mariner or or protection
>>55248093
fighter sorclock. fighter 1/warlock 2/sorcerer x
>>
>>55248071
I already have archery, what ranged fighter wouldn't have it? Also why ranger?
>>
>>55248133
I already have archery and I was actually between close quarters shooter and mariner. Why those classes? I was thinking of grabbing war priest since I have 18 wis.
>>
>>55248135
Natural explorer and favored enemy are both quite strong
>>
>>55248133
What if I don't want/need heavy armor though? I'd need STR for that stuff.
I was also gonna go Hexblade because it fits the character
>>
>>55248120
You (and him) are looking at it wrong. Modrons are more like cells in a body than individuals, with Primus the brain."rogue" modrons are effectively cancerous cells that the body attempts to excise.
>>
>>55248158
sorry, should be fighter 2. it's not for heavy armor, it's for action surge so you can eldritch blast an extra time. if you're going hexblade, it's good for fighting style.
>>
>>55248135
2 levels in ua ranger gets you the following
>a fighting style, so defense probably
>advantage on initiative rolls
>ignore difficult terrain
>advantage on attack rolls against creatures that haven't acted yet
>a language
>bonus to damage rolls against your favored enemy
>some shit that helps with group travelling
UA ranger is so frontloaded that it's kind of bullshit. Then again, so is warlock, so that's another good choice
>>
>>55248172
No, I'm not looking at it wrong. Those things look terrifying, regardless of what society they form. Who would think following a path represented by these monstrosities is a good thing?

Also terrifying are seraphs and hungry ghosts
>>
>>55248157
You're right plus I could grab undead (it'll be important) I just wish that I would have access to divine favor.
>>55248184
It is frontloaded as hell and I'm pretty sure if I had advantage on init I'd always go first with the bonus I have.
>>
>>55248180
It was mostly going to be blasty/spellcasty, themed after a character I like.
And unless you use Quickened Spell, you'd still only be able to cast a spell once per turn.
>>
>>55248236
there's no restrictions on how many times you can cast a cantrip per turn, assuming you have the prerequisite action economy to support it. the restriction of not being able to cast more than one spell is on 1st level and higher spell since you can't use your bonus action and use your action to cast a spell. with fighter sorclock you can:

>use your action to cast eldritch blast
>quicken spell to cast eldritch blast as a bonus action
>action surge for one more eldritch blast
>>
>>55243083
There is no such thing as critical hit
>>
>>55247957
I think you're the only one playing with deaf people
>>
>>55243212
The saving Grace is the EK
>>
>>55248266
Well this also sorta dicks you over ASI-wise, doesn't it?
And this character was going to be a Changeling, too.
I'd have to wait until total level 5 to even get in to Sorcerer at that point.
>>
>>55243083
My DM has a similar thing except you maximize all your dice once (1d4+6d6+5->1d4+6d6+5+40) then roll so that a crit is certain to do more damage than normal.
>>
>Tempest Cleric who fights with his fist (Shocking Grasp) and a shield
Would this be viable?
>>
>>55248311
not really, the prerequisite for MCing fighting requires 13 DEX or STR and if you're playing hexblade with medium armor you're going to want to meet that requirement anyways. both sorcerer and warlock require 13 CHA and if you're dipping those classes and don't have a 13 CHA what are you doing? i think sorcerer also has a 13 CON requirement but i dont have a book in front of me right now.

so all this requires is 13 DEX, 13 CON, and 13 CHA, your 3 most important ability scores. if you meet the minimum for all of those, you don't even need to pump DEX or CON, just buff CHA each chance you get then get CON once you max that out.
>>
>>55248354
No, not that. I mean getting to your ASIs period. I'd have to wait until total level 8 just to get my CHA to 18 or so.
>>
>>55248396
oh, i see what you mean. you'll still have other ways to be useful though, and the sheer amount of blasts you can fire off would help you hit anyways. if you want you ASI ASAP, go 4 levels of warlock first then start multiclassing, dipping sorcerer first preferably.
>>
>>55248494
Fresh bread.
>>
>>55245353
Is piercing really the appropriate damage type? Snapping turtles really don't have teeth, just a beak. it more crushing or slicing the than piercing. So wouldn't bludgeoning or slashing be better?

Also 1d8 seems a bit high for natural weapon. I think 1d6 would be better.
>>
>>55248508
There's a 1d10 natural weapon
>>
>>55248555
for real this time
>>
>>55248552
Yes but that natural weapon explicitly makes only weapon attacks, not unarmed attacks. Also it's UA.
>>
>>55248349
It wouldn't be the worst I don't think. You'd be focusing on your spells over your cantrips until you run out of spell slots and at least Shocking Grasp keys off of your primary stat. Lightning Lure would be a neat alternative to get people into your range if their reactions aren't giving you trouble. ideally you'd want Shillelagh or Booming Blade or both but without those Shocking Grasp is a perfectly serviceable option.
>>
>>55248643
>refluff a club as brass knuckles
>use booming blade for thunder fists
seems fun as fuck
>>
>>55248576
>only links new thread once
>doesn't even say it's a new thread
fucking retard
>>
>>55248581
Where did the snapping turtle say it worked as unarmed?
>>
>>55248719
>based off lizardfolk
>lizardfolk bite works as unarmed attack
if you can't see how it's a reasonable assumption that it was designed and intended that way, you're autistic
>>
>>55248683
>only links new thread once
Nigger.
>can't take the hint from the giant fucking arrow
Double nigger.
>>
>>55248899
>he's actually implying that arrow is giant
Boy, you're a special kind of retarded. I understand that you don't have a real argument to stand on, so it's okay.
>>
>>55248682
You'd need to be a Half-Elf with Sun or Moon Elf ancestry from SCAG to get both Booming Blade and Shillelagh though. Otherwise you'd need to take a level in Wizard and have Magic Initiate for Shillelagh.
>>
>>55249088
To clarify you'd need Half-Elf if you want to start with a 16 in wisdom and get the bonus cantrip.
>>
>Player wants to play Chaotic Neutral
>New group, never played with them before.
>Warns him not to play it like a a chaotic stupid alignment, and no random killings.
>Tells me not to worry, he is just a simple man
>Makes a sorcerer
>Start at level 5 due to the campaign i want to run
>Pretty instantly tries to hit on any chick he gets close to
>They find a noble woman whose husband is dead, she wants them to find who did it and get her revenge.
>He subtle casts invisibility while not in line of sight of her
>decides to sneak in and lie on the floor, and look up her dress
>Flubs his sneak roll hard, and gets stepped on
>She asks flabbergasted what he is doing on the floor
>"I can see your underwear" *smile*
I am done. I have never had a group where literally everybody laughed all the time. He kept pulling dumb antics like this. This guy is comedy gold.

This is how you play chaotic neutral.
>>
File: Pawns Dan Campaign.png (4MB, 2204x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Dan Campaign.png
4MB, 2204x2660px
>>55242163
Pawns for next Thursday's session, a Jungle temple dedicated to a Serpent Goddess (no Yuan Ti).
>>
File: Klesh Pawns 12 - Copy.png (1MB, 2204x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Klesh Pawns 12 - Copy.png
1MB, 2204x2660px
>>55250319
>>
File: Pawns Klesh6.png (6MB, 2204x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Klesh6.png
6MB, 2204x2660px
>>55250325
decided not to do all the little tiny guys, instead swarms for most of them. Just one or two individual ones.
>>
File: Pawns Klesh2.png (3MB, 2204x2758px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Klesh2.png
3MB, 2204x2758px
>>55250340
Ended up with 13 of the Ape Skellies, they are re-skinned Ghasts with paralytic vines twined in their bones for the paralyze effect.
>>
>>55250340
Decided to do something unconventional with the Medusae, they are part of an elaborate wall mosiac (constructs) that can separate from the wall and attack (and still petrify while a mosaic), and step back into the wall to move about the chamber.
>>
>>55250384
The two Large Dead parrots are a hybrid between Giant Vultures and Vampire Spawn stat-wise, the BBEG (not pictured) is a Vampire of the non European sort.
Thread posts: 429
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.