[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 372
Thread images: 40

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55117219

What's your setting like, /5eg/? Low magic, high magic? Human only? Noblebright? Grimdark?
>>
>>55122964
High magic, navigating some politics with the PCs being big damn heros at the end.
>>
Its forgotten realms
>>
how do you even do low magic? Do you stop giving wizards spells beyond 3rd level?
>>
File: 5th Edition Party Game.png (42KB, 1087x898px) Image search: [Google]
5th Edition Party Game.png
42KB, 1087x898px
>>
Reasking, what items and features should I put in a house as evidence of demonic rituals and summoning and spirits? I'm trying to make a mystery house for my players.
>>
>>55122964
High Magic, lots of location hopping as the party has to stop a crazed cult from summoning pic related. It takes place in Golarion.
>>
>>55123097
Summoning circles, inexplicably dead animals and plants
>>
>>55123097
A demon
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>55123069
Pls, 3rd level is plent for the wizard to solve most non-combat challenges far better than a character with good mundane skills ever could.
>>
File: 1428610878093.jpg (827KB, 2404x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1428610878093.jpg
827KB, 2404x1260px
This game sucks ass. The only difference between a commoner trying to climb a ledge and a level 1 rogue who trained for years at it, is 10%. Boy I love practicing for years to only get 10% better at something. 5e takes the d20 mechanic's biggest flaw and paints it bold and bright to make it obvious to everyone. This kind of stupid shit where a level 1 commoner can decipher a scroll that a level 1 wizard can't for some dumbass reason, is why d20 mechanic will forever be shit, the modifiers are small as shit and 5e makes them even smaller for "muh bounded accuracy" so a 20th level fighter can be hit by level 1 gnolls 25% of the time. But it's okay, he has a fuckload of hit points! Everything has a fuckload of hit points in this game, the monsters sure do because character damage is off the fucking wall. Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter are basically non-optional feats that obliviate two weapon fighting as a valid combat style. Ranger sucks so much shit it's unbelievable, they already errata'd it because the book was rushed into production. Advantage is retarded, a battlemaster fighter tries to aid another maneuver the barbarian in our group, and it has no effect because he is reckless attacking. Why? NO FUCKING REASON, BESIDES THAT WIZARDS OF THE COAST IS SHIT AT DESIGNING MECHANICS. Advantage / disadvantage is meant to make the game more palatable retarded normies who work at CostCo and can't do basic math. Also thanks to the proliferation of /tg/ greentexts on Tumblr, loads of normoniggers are seeing "lol haha funny nat20 story" and are being brought to the game by that, not by an actual interest in the creative part of RPGs that makes them actually fulfilling. Of course, since most RPG players are nu male cucks who are desperately hoping Stacy will want to play D&D with them, they lap it right up, and the quality of the community drops like a shit into a portable toilet. Fuck this dumbed-down Basic-D&D-tier crap.
>>
File: 64954006.jpg (160KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
64954006.jpg
160KB, 640x579px
>>55122964
>What's your setting like, /5eg/?
It's the best goddamn D&D setting ever made.
>>
File: wee pipes.jpg (95KB, 677x797px) Image search: [Google]
wee pipes.jpg
95KB, 677x797px
>>55123069
In my current setting, the greatest mage of the old ages, kael-thos, created the dragonborn, and generally fucked everything up in the name of magic. after his death people still fear the mages that go too far, so there are severe regulations and strict guilds that promote "safe" wizarding and the people act like a wizard going off track is the worst of tragedies. villagers just don't very much enjoy their company or any magic, but bigger cities are a bit more okay with magic.
its harder than I thought, but its fun for characters that are intentionally breaking the law for DISCOVERIES and how they have to adapt to that.
also, I have a bard that uses pipes.
>>
>>55123128
Okay
>>
File: Fractured_Ass.jpg (46KB, 680x570px) Image search: [Google]
Fractured_Ass.jpg
46KB, 680x570px
>>55123128
>>
File: why-would-they-c25scq.jpg (54KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
why-would-they-c25scq.jpg
54KB, 768x576px
>>55123128
>There are really people like this
>>
File: I'm OP.jpg (36KB, 452x326px) Image search: [Google]
I'm OP.jpg
36KB, 452x326px
>>55123128
Actual OP, please ignore the filename, this is meant purely for >>55123128
>>
File: analmadness.jpg (81KB, 548x532px) Image search: [Google]
analmadness.jpg
81KB, 548x532px
>>55123128
>>
File: IMG_1731.jpg (37KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1731.jpg
37KB, 240x200px
>>55123128
>>
>>55122964
>What's your setting like, /5eg/? Low magic, high magic? Human only? Noblebright? Grimdark?
High magic, but mostly forgotten as fuck, with exceptions like cantrips on people with draconic bloodline, or high elves and rediscovering magic will be a plot of the next campaign
>>
Newbie DM, reading the rule book for the first time. Trying to make sure I understand the very basics of the action economy.

During combat, players can move up to their full movement speed, use one action (attack, spellcast, dash, disengage, etc.), one item interaction like drawing a weapon or opening a door, and one "bonus action."

I was a bit confused on the wording, but am I correct in assuming that a character can always use a bonus action on their turn so long as they have an item or class ability that mentions being activated "as a bonus action?" There's no specific action or circumstance that needs to "grant" a bonus action, right?
>>
>>55123237
You can always take a bonus action. But you have to a feature that lets you use your bonus action.
The only exception is when you get hit with the slow spell.
>>
>>55123237
Technically you don't have a bonus action unless something grants you one... but in practice it's the same shit as a "minor action" or "swift action" from previous editions where you can just do one of them alongside your normal action. But yes, you can't do anything with a bonus action unless something grants you one.
>>
>>55123128
Friendly reminder that no matter how much of a 1 or a 2 you are, there's someone one step up the grog ladder that considers you a 3 or a 4.
>>
>>55123288
Ah, a fellow admirer of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell? If so, then you, too, are my nigga.
>>
Requesting scarred lands pdf for 5e
>>
>>55123016

Kys
>>
File: Ebberon.png (36KB, 965x647px) Image search: [Google]
Ebberon.png
36KB, 965x647px
>>55122964
Best setin of all tiem
>>
>>55122964
>What's your setting like, /5eg/? Low magic, high magic? Human only? Noblebright? Grimdark?
I'm aiming for a kind of pulp, sword and sorcery feel with the game I'm running at the moment. Cults that worship idols and physical "small gods" that grant powers, rather than cosmic level deities. Non human races mostly as weird outsiders, and arcane magic as a new and strange power in the world. I tried not to play with the formula too much, just get a certain feeling out of it.
>>
>>55122964
It is a homebrew world, but I basically just use Forgotten Realm rules unless something changes on my end.
>>
>>55123530
Wise words.
>>
File: IMG_1490.jpg (28KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1490.jpg
28KB, 500x310px
>>55122964
It started as a generic "D&D fantasy land" with names I pulled from name generators back in high school, and since we've been using the same setting and mostly the same group since high school it's just kind of morphed and evolved into this weird mishmash of whatever we felt like adding on over the course of six years. A land that fell into the abyss over here, undersea kingdom of Viking elves there... honestly it's no more consistent or well-realized than, say, Forgotten Realms, but it's OUR Forgotten Realms knockoff so it holds a special place in our hearts.
>>
My settings all about wars between gods, dreams and mahical technology in a world recovering from the fall of a great empire.
>>
>>55123530
If Eberron is so good why aren't there any 5e books for it?
>>
>>55123844
:thinking:
>>
I feel so useless in my group

Im a cleric and I only end up healing myself because the bear barbarian is indestructible already and the druid has like 2-3x my HP because of wild shape

what do
>>
>>55122964
First time running a campaign so basically medieval France, high magic, majority human and a mishmash of noblebright and grimdark.
>>
>>55123844
Because 5e is new and the people at WOTC are shills for forgotten realm, they even rewrote Ravenloft to make it a demiplane of faerun.
>>
>>55123888
>cleric is heal only mem
When will it end
>>
>>55123888
Are you a life cleric or is there something else you can do

Clerics in 5e are far from just "healers"
>>
How can I get the party I play with try to set up surprise attacks and ambushes in a dungeon crawl?

The party of 5 has only one martial character and it never played like a martial character. My rogue is now has to fill a role where I never get sneak attack and I have to try to stop the casters from being rushed and it's getting to the point I just let enemies swarm the wizard, warlock and cleric.
>>
Doing a possibly combat-Heavy campaign
Thinking of rolling a Drunken fist monk, but it's 27 point buy, and we start at level 5 with a free feat.
Any recommendations?
>inb4 don't roll a monk
>>
>>55123988

Drunken monk brings some nice support.

Aarakocra with mobile feat.
>>
>>55123957
Im a war cleric but I just feel so weak by comparison
everyone else is this one man army with higher damage hp and saves
>>
>>55124043
What level? Because Spiritual Guardians makes you a walking death-ball.
>>
>>55123016
Same
>>
>>55124055
6 and yeah spirit guardians + dodge while enemies wail on me is pretty much my one trick
>>
>>55124043
What level are you? But realize that clerics aren't really heal-bots, especially not war-clerics.
>>
>>55124043
>not casting Spiritual Guardians and Spirit Weapon at the highest level you can

Anything will melt.
>>
File: castleravenloft.jpg (70KB, 600x377px) Image search: [Google]
castleravenloft.jpg
70KB, 600x377px
Can you become a cleric of the Dark Powers? How about a warlock?
>>
>>55124100
Idk there is a death cleric in DMG
>>
>>55123988
Ghostwise halfling monk with Squat Nimbleness Feat, gives you 30 movement, and possibly expertise in a skill. AND an extra ASI, so it makes your pointbuy easier
>>
>>55124083
Level six isn't really where druids are power houses. They just have a lot of health from animal forms, absolutely. I'm surprised you feel overshadowed by the druid. As for Barbarian, remember "I ATTAC" is about all that they can do. Pure martials are damage-beasts in this edition.

Use spirit guardians. Use spirit weapons. Bash things with your weapon and let things melt around you. Pickup Warcaster to shore up your concentration interruptions.
>>
>>55124043
I play a druid and used to feel like that
Than we started fighting vampires and I had sunbeam
Vamps btfo
>>
>>55124100
it would make a good warlock patron I think
>>
>>55124146
>tfw our Druid kept Moonbeaming the Vampire and his Werewolf minions

stop it you retard
>>
>>55124172
Moon druids suck, go land and play a real caster ya pussies
>>
>>55122964
Post-apocalyptic. The last scuffle between gods and an unknown third party literally tore the world apart. Largest civilizations had some time to prepare and planeshifted their whole capital cities to demiplanes.
The original world is just a bunch of floating landmasses suspended in space, they are dangerous but living seems still possible on them. This huge fuck up also made some things pretty wonky on the world's remains as the elemental planes are bleeding into the material plane and the dead cannot find peace as the gods are missing.
Meanwhile, the demiplanes are slowly dying as they are not meant to support that much life for that long. They are forced to enslave all mages and the like to keep them alive, and to cannibalize any magic items they get their hands on just to keep crops growing and the sun shining. Tensions are rising as nations could invade each other to prolong the lifetime of their own plane.
Are you a bad enough dude to enlist as and adventurer and brave the dangers of ruins of the old world, bringing back ancient artifacts to prolong the life of your people?

I also took some notes from Planescape and prepared around 15 major factions within and without the demiplanes. Political stuff is also prevalent as the major civilizations try to upset the balance of power for their own gain.
>>
>>55124162
>I don't know how I got to the Demiplane of Dread, or why. I don't know how to get out of here. And I sure as the Nine Hells don't know where I picked up these powers.
>I wander these lands as fate guides me. I feel drawn to walk in a certain direction, for days at a time, and without fail strange events are taking place wherever I end up. I do my best to protect the innocent from the wars and machinations of the dark lords that rule over their lands, but I am only one man. I can only hope I make enough of a difference.
>I often wonder what guides me to be at the right place at the right time. One assumes this would be the same unknown entity that has bestowed these powers upon me. But for the life of me, I can't fathom why it won't communicate its desires more clearly... or why it chose me.
>>
So one of my players is a level 2 Dire Wolf who wildshapes into Druids of various player races in order to cast spells and shit

I goddamned fucking loved the idea and the Role-play was the best. How do I keep it going on higher levels?

Should I give the Dire wolf Ranger companion progression?
>>
>>55124268
Stat the wolf as a Druid of the appropriate level with normal PC-increasing stats, but create Humanshape forms for him with different spells known.
>>
What base class synergizes best with a few levels in rogue for that sneak attack damage bonus
>>
>>55124312
Monk and barbarian.
>>
>>55124251
>take some cool fluffy invocations like the beast speech one
>talk to the wolves of the land
>familiar is actually just one of the native creatures

shit I want to play it now
>>
>>55123128
Imagine being this upset at a game
>>
>>55122964
My setting has the following:

Mid-tier magic (people know magic exists, but it's not too common, and if you see a person doing magic tricks on the road it's more likely to be a guy with fast hands than an actual magician).

Points of Light, barely functional cities living in the husk of the ruins of a bigh-magic society

Dinosaur Island

Fey magic fucking humanoids shit up for the lolz

Jungle society based on the notion of reincarnation

Wild West era gunslingers + druidic shamans defending civilians from the wild as they plunder the ruins of an old civilization.

High Magic political intrigue (ala Eberron)

High Magic pulp fiction (think 1920s pulp fiction, but with magic).

Now, you may be wondering, how I pull this all off? Each is on a separate mini-plane that the PCs are going to fuse together to make one whole Material Plane.
>>
File: 1377634805691.jpg (68KB, 369x683px) Image search: [Google]
1377634805691.jpg
68KB, 369x683px
Hello /5eg/, I was wondering what you thought of my shitty homebrew.

Ancestral Warrior (Fighter Archetype)
Level 3: Ancestral Spirit. Starting when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you are able to summon an ancestral spirit. The spirit is a ghostly companion which helps you fight with the might and cunning of your ancestors.

Any enemy adjacent to the ancestral spirit grants combat advantage to your melee attacks. In addition, those enemies adjacent to your ancestral spirit also have disadvantage on any attacks that do not include you as a target, this means they have disadvantage when attacking the ancestral spirit as well. The ancestral spirit shares your defenses but cannot attack. The ancestral spirit can move anytime you move or can be commanded to move using your maneuver. The speed for these movements is 25 feet. If the ancestral spirit is hit with a melee attack, the spirit dissipates until you take another short or long rest. Ranged attacks of any kind pass right through the ancestral spirit as though it were not occupying that square. You may dismiss the ancestral spirit as a free action.

Level 7: Ancestral Scout. At 7th level, you gain the ability command your ancestral spirit to use them to scout far-off lands. When you do so, you cast the clairvoyance spell, without needing a spell slot. Rather than creating a spherical sensor, the spell invisibly summons one of your ancestral spirits to the chosen location. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for the spell. After you cast the spell in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Level 10: Ancestral Strike. At 10th level, you and your ancestral spirit learn to work even more in concert, allowing you to have the spirit attack your enemies with you. When attacking a creature that is adjacent to your ancestral spirit with a melee attack, you may forego the advantage on the attack roll to deal an additional 1d8 + your strength modifier damage to the target.
>>
>>55124613
Level 15: Ancestral Shield Wall. Starting at 15th level, you may call upon more than one of your ancestors to create a shield wall under your command.

As an action, you may summon a 25 foot wall centered on yourself. This wall dismisses your ancestral spirit. While the wall is summoned, you and the wall may move 5 feet as a maneuver but must stay together as a wall. You are not able to move besides this 5 foot movement, including forced movement, so long as you have the wall summoned. Enemies have disadvantage when attacking you or when making ranged attacks at your allies through the wall. You have advantage when attacking while within the wall. In addition, you may attack from any space within the wall as if you were in that space. Your allies may move through the wall but the wall is considered impassable for enemies. You may dismiss the wall as a free action or it disappears if you are knocked unconscious. You may not use this ability again until you take another short or long rest.

Level 18: Charging Wall. At 18th level, you may command your shield wall to rush forth and strike down your enemies with a courageous charge. As an action, you may command your summoned shield wall to make a 4 move and attack actions. The speed for this movement is 5 squares. The attack actions must be melee, use your strength and proficiency bonus for the attacks and deal 1d8 + your strength modifier damage. In addition, you may also make a move and attack action against an opponent as a part of this action. After the charge is complete and all of the actions have been done, the shield wall disappears and this action cannot be taken again until you summon another shield wall.
>>
>>55124613
Having the spirit dissipate after a single melee attack connecting with it is sort of weak. I'd make it slightly stronger, since that is basically the Kobold racial ability except it can easily be broken.
>>
>>55124665
Any ideas to make it stronger? I was thinking of making it a number of summons per day but I didnt like the idea that the character might be without the spirit possibly for the majority of the day.

Maybe give it 1/2 your hp? I mean, i already gave attacks against it disadvantage
>>
>>55124736
I'd give it 1/2 hp, yeah. It's too luck based if it dies in one hit but everything has disadvantage to attack it.
How does magic work on it?
>>
>>55124759
it would have to be a magical melee attack the way i have it written. I kinda didnt want some dickish dm to just pop it with an arrow or spell every fight.

But i suppose something like an anti-magic field might work against it? hmm, or i could classify the abilities as ethereal creatures but im not sure how a field would work on those, if it affects them at all.
>>
What do you roll for using thieve's tools? Flat proficiency? Int? Dex?
>>
>>55124828
Dex.
>>
File: 1452775335438.jpg (484KB, 1500x810px) Image search: [Google]
1452775335438.jpg
484KB, 1500x810px
>>55122964
My DMs setting he described to us as being similar in ways to the Witcher-verse. Majority Human population, supernatural and magical elements exist but human settlements are largely insulated from them. The ruling government has mandated that all magic users be registered officially, and has extended an "amnesty" period of 12 months for citizens to do this. My character is trying to decide whether it's worthwhile for him to do so, or if he should just try to hide his magic instead. I've been finding it pretty fun and interesting to play in so far.
>>
>>55124828
I thought it was Dex and only add proficiency if you are proficient with them.
>>
>>55124613
>>55124637

Isn't there a Barbarian UA that involves summoning ancestral spirits to help you fight already?
>>
>>55124883
there is, i actually just lifted the 10th level ability and made it the 7th level one for this.

However, I wasnt a huge fan of the way the UA worked with the barbarian mechanics and thought that a more leader-y power set would be interesting and this is what I came up with.
>>
What kind of battlemaps do you guys use?
>>
>>55125003

Any that I can find online. Most of mine are from Pinterest and Deviantart.
>>
>>55125003
I nut onto a piece of paper, wait for it to dry and then scan it to use for a map
>>
>>55124268
Keep it simple. Give it the stats of a death dog at level 6,and those of a winter wolf at level 9. It's irrelevant what you do at level 12, campaigns don't get that far.
>>
Ive temporarily become retarded

where is the SCAG in the trove?
>>
>>55124879
Sorry, I was assuming that anyone using them would have proficiency.
>>
>>55125077
rulebooks>supplements
>>
>>55124383
Would be a fairly compelling character in Curse of Strahd, I imagine.
Too bad there are no stats for it...
>>
How can I make martial characters as viable as full/half casters in my games? The mechanics for 5e are almost as bad as 3.5 with how much versatility casters get.
>>
Anyone got some balanced homebrew warlock invocations?
>>
>>55125168
you could try reading the PHB cover to cover then coming up with a more educated opinion
>>
>>55125086
Yeah, I've had a game or two where our guy who did dropped out so someone would pick them up then have to learn them. Luckily our DM was understanding and didn't make us jump a bunch of hoops.
>>
>>55125188
t. someone who has never read the 5e PHB
>>
>>55124100
I sure hope so, my Arcana Cleric is already at level 7!

It'd be mighty embarrassing loosing all my powers now
>>
>>55125168

Magic items that focus on utility rather than boosting combat.

Martials do more damage than casters, but casters have more utility.
>>
History buff here, i'm thinking about doing a hardcore realistic medieval setting with lots of stuff from the middle ages. What do you guys think? inb4 it would be boring.
>>
>>55125197
>being the toughest and hardest hitting characters isn't enough

what would be the purpose of casters in your meme system then if not utility?
>>
>>55125207
True, but that doesn't mean that it's balanced. Martials tend to have better single target damage, but that doesn't matter at all when a wizard can just Hold Person someone and kill them with ranged attacks.
>>
>>55125168
well, I would give them more out of combat options, such as spell-like abilites. In addition I would reduce the DCs for characters without full or 1/2 casting by at least 1/2, maybe even down to 1/4 their original values and allow the players to do extraordinary things with what wouldve been relatively high checks up to and including lifting up buildings, punching through walls, pushing over trees or stopping rivers with their speed or by bashing it into submission.

basically, give them more utility as freebies and make them into heroes, myths, and legends
>>
>>55124613
>Level 3:
It doesn't say how you summon the spirit. It just .. Appears as a result of hitting level 3, or pops into existence after you take a rest. If you dismiss the spirit there's no mechanic for bringing it back. There's no maneuver that commands it to move, and a non-battlemaster won't have maneuvers.

>Level 7
Making it !not-clairvoyance is kind of weird to me, and causes weird interactions. If its a YOUR ancestral spirit, does that mean your spirit stops hanging out with you and then pops over to where you directed it to? What happens if it gets killed there? If its the same spirit, why are you suddenly not able to move it when you were able to before? Also - it probably should be a ritual.

>Level 10
I really feel like this should consume something other than advantage. It consuming advance gives it a mechanic that doesn't exist elsewhere that I can think of - and the way its worded makes it that you forgo ALL advantage on the attack roll, so even if you had it outside of the ancestral spirit. Outside of that: This stacks with EVERY melee attack; so next level the Fighter makes three attacks. Suddenly he does six attacks per turn. Action surge gives him 12, assuming that they've no bonus attacks to give 13. At level 20, he makes eight attacks per turn and can action surge to make sixteen, and again assuming no bonus attacks.

>Level 15
25 foot wall? Is that all in one straight line? Is that a curving wall? Can you make the wall shorter? Does that mean its 25 feet long and 5 feet wide? Can an enemy attack anywhere along that wall in order to hit you, or do they just have to attack the middle of the wall while you can attack anywhere within it? What maneuver are you referring to? And only Battlemasters have maneuvers.

>Level 18
Move is not an action. Are you giving them 4x the base speed? What's the base speed - 25 still from the first spirit? And you're giving this wall four attacks? Plus you make one attack on top of that?
>>
>>55125252
i mean as long as you dont make your players harvest wheat for 12 hours you should be fine
>>
>>55125256

What is legendary resistance?
>>
>>55125256
are you really that salty if a caster takes care of a lesser enemy with weak saves from 60 ft away?
>>
>>55125311
'are you salty?' isn't an argument.
>>
>>55125168
Best solution is to stop posting shitty bait posts on argentinian knitting board.
But also this >>55125207 - figure out ways to increase your utility, because that's largely what you lack.
>>
>>55125405
>choosing to ignore the meat of the post
>>
>>55120981
You realize the UAs are official homebrew, don't you? As in, yet to be published with tenuous balance. What makes it better by far than the shit shat out by homebrewers is because it's still made by Wizards, which means they actually have an idea of what they're doing rather than homebrew that still uses 3.5e/PF as a model.

You actually do already have enough choice, have you actually played all of the combinations?
Never go full retard, you fucking autist.
>>
>>55125446
>You realize the UAs are official homebrew, don't you?
They're not homebrew, bud.
>>
>>55125502
They are, you autistic retard. Even if they're made by Wizards.
They're not official, they can't be used in the AL.
>>
>>55125281
Yea ill change the wording. Im used to doing 4e stuff which all has very strict definitions and i apparently messed up some of the 5e ones here.

To answer: Yes, it just appears and if it disappears it comes back after short or long rest

i should clarify that it is your spirit and it comes back after the spell ends. I dont think making it a ritual should matter too much in the long run.

I should specify just 1/turn. thanks for pointing that out!

The wall can be any way you choose but must still be a continuous wall. I will specify the 25x5feet.

i thought the movement was pretty clear although my 4e came out again and i put it in squares. i should specify the originating space. And yes, 4 attacks, plus your own. It is meant to simulate you and 4 other spirit (the other 4 5ft spaces from the wall) breaking the wall and charging out. I am aware it is a big damage boost but as a 1/encounter and 18th level ability it doesnt seem so powerful compared to many spells or encounter-long abilities.
>>
>>55125537
>They are, you autistic retard. Even if they're made by Wizards.
Jesus Christ you're dumb. If Wizards made it, then it is by definition NOT homebrew.
>They're not official, they can't be used in the AL.
They are official, they're just unpublished.
>>
Making a background for a ruins explorer/archaeologist. I was thinking Insight, History, Thieve's Tools, and 1 language as far as proficiency go. As far as the special feature goes I am at a loss. I was originally thinking something similar to stonecunning, but we have a dwarf in the party and I don't want to step on his toes. It should be something balanced, or even under-tuned as I am thankful the DM is letting me customize one at all. I might just opt for the sage feature.
>>
>>55125622
special feature should be something flavor related to you background. The sage's research feature sounds like a good fit for an archaeologist.
>>
>>55125587
Let me clarify because you're actually a fucking retard and can't read, they're material by Wizards employees and are official homebrew but still homebrew.
The UA planeshift material are official homebrew but still homebrew.

They're not official, you autistic retard, only the iteration we don't know about that will into Xanathar's will be the official product.
>>
Give me plot ideas involving Drow.
>>
File: 1502230994715.gif (426KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
1502230994715.gif
426KB, 250x232px
>>55125794
They're kidnapping villagers from the surface, turns out they're trying to find a way so they can go onto the surface without adverse side effects. Exactly how they're doing that is up to you
>>
>>55122964
the setting is high magic in the sense that high-level world changing magic exists and that mortals can wield it, but low magic in the sense that magic is not common by any stretch of the imagination. you're lucky if your average city has someone who can cantrip nevertheless cast a 1st level spell. culturally, magic is discouraged as well due to an arcane "apocalypse" of sorts that wiped out a whole empire.
>>
File: challenging autism.png (340KB, 726x542px) Image search: [Google]
challenging autism.png
340KB, 726x542px
>>55123128
is this a new pasta?
>>
>>55125577
maybe i should say the spell doesnt cost any material components?
>>
>>55125870
Iirc it's just slightly altered old pasta
>>
>>55125587
You actually are a fucking retard aren't you, can you actually read?

"This Is Playtest Material
The material here is presented for playtesting and to spark your imagination. These game mechanics are in draft form, usable in your campaign but not refined by final game development and editing.
They aren’t officially part of the game and aren’t
permitted in D&D Adventurers League events.
If we decide to make this material official, it will
be refined based on your feedback, and then it will appear in a D&D book."
>>
>>55125790
>they're material by Wizards employees and are official homebrew but still homebrew.
That's literally not what homebrew means. Unearthed Arcana is official, unpublished material from Wizards of the Coast. It is not homebrew.
>>
Some anon had an interesting point about perception being the skill the DM wants you to take so you can see the world and discover its secrets

what else does the DM want you to play?
what classes are a DMs wet dream?
>>
>>55122923
>>55122843
>Prepare extra shit just in case your players go off in a random ass direction you don't expect.
Um, no.

Your preparations should be solely on personalities of npc's. If you can get what they are thinking and have nothing "planned" then no actions your PCs take can derail you because you just have the NPCs react in accordance to their beliefs.

If you prepare a shitload of stuff for everything the PC's could do every session you WILL burn out and waste a bunch of your time. (and the PCs will find something you didn't think of and still throw you off)
>>
>>55125949
Are they now? See here >>55125921 you fucking retard, can you actually read?
>>
>>55125975
>He doesn't have any encounters prepared that can be plugged in at a moment's notice based on his players decision
I forget if I don't spell everything out on this site people go sprinting off in a different direction than what was meant. You should always have a handful of encounters prepared that can easily be used if your players go off in a random ass direction. That way you aren't scrambling to come up with say a group of thugs to fight if your players suddenly decide to go to the wrong side of town and crack some skulls.

Also I mentioned planning NPCs ahead of time if you bothered reading the rest, but even with those if you have nothing prepared for them to go fight from that you're still unprepared and scrambling.
>>
>>55126034
"not officially part of the game" != "not official WOTC" content, which it is.
It is not AL legal because it is not published.
It is not homebrew.

Calling everyone who disagrees with you "an autistic fucking retard" really helps your argument.
>>
Anything cool you can do with an Arcane Archer? I've thought about taking Martial Adept and take maneuvers that synergise with Ensnaring Strike.

So I first use Ensnaring Strike and then either pushing attack if the enemy is on the ground, or Trip attack against flying enemies. This not only locks them down, but also triggers the damage from ensnaring strike because they move.
>>
>>55126063
>he needs to prepare non setpiece encounters beforehand or be stuck "scrambling"

To each their own i guess. I assumed the other dm can do more than one thing at a time and continue to run the game while preparing encounters that result from the PCs actions. If you are new i guess having cookie cutter encounters can work until you understand the game more.
>>
>>55126065
Nice bit of selective reading there, it doesn't make you look less of an autistic retard. Did you miss "If we decide to make this material official", again can you actually read?
>>
Give me wacky/interesting mystic builds
>>
File: undead race v0-2.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
undead race v0-2.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
What's the best way to homebrew a skeleton character? Re-fluffing the Revenant? Using this? Something else?
>>
File: nuclear warlord.png (42KB, 628x173px) Image search: [Google]
nuclear warlord.png
42KB, 628x173px
>>55126235
>>
>>55126108
I meant Grasping Arrow instead of Ensnaring Stirke
>>
>>55125836

Then it's low magic you fucking retard.
>>
If you're playing a battlemaster is it a good idea to take Martial Adept or is it not that great?
>>
>>55126209
Do you know what context is?
They're referring to making it an official part of the game, which is what they were talking about literally in the previous sentence. It is still content produced by WOTC, meaning it is official and not homebrew.
>>
>>55125537

I mean, by that logic Aarakocra and Winged Tiefling variant are homebrew because they can't be used in AL.
>>
Question:
Why would you play adventure league?
>>
>>55126429

Because you can count on your DM sticking to RAW and not going "Yeah nah, I houserule that doesn't work like that", because if they do that you can tell the store owner and they have to do something about it or they can't be a legal adventure league.
>>
>>55126372
Do you know what context it is referring to? Do you actually understand the meaning of the words?
It's not official material but rather homebrew. Wizards doesn't always make official material, see the Planeshift UAs.

>>55126404
Well, the UA material isn't official at least, and can't also be used in the AL, aa a clarification.
>>
>>55126429
Because the AL players in my area are cool dudes, its not all that different for just playing core rules at a game store
>>
>>55126429
If it was convenient and easy to join.
>>
>>55126235
Giant Growth Mystic Bugbear PrimevalGuardian Battlemaster with a Reach weapon
>>
>>55126450
But who cares? It just doesn't seem fun at all

>>55126457
Why not play a normal campaign with them then?

I only see a couple reasons to play AL such as you can't find a good group of people to play with and you don't want to play online or you're new to d&d. Outside of some reasons like that it just seems so... Boring and restrictive.
>>
>>55126514

I care, because I like DM's sticking to rules rather than going on power trips and doing what they want.
>>
>>55126514
Because why not get out and play at a game store, it totally freaks out some customers when a room of 20+ people just looks over at them when entering

You can still have fun within the restrictions, through roleplaying character interaction during battle and playing off eachother's personalities and such
>>
>>55126235

Isn't one of mystic's abilities "You make a target believe a statement of your choice"?

Couldn't you just tell them "You think you should kill yourself"?
>>
>>55126584
would that work? i think i should be doing something productive with my time but it doesn't mean i will.
>>
>>55126548
Honestly you don't sound like someone who is very fun to play with. Breaking/coming up with new rules with a dm for various situations is part of the fun.

>>55126581
I guess it doesn't seem totally boring but still it just seems so much... Lesser than a normal game.
>>
>>55126605

I mean phrase it however you want to get the desired effect, one of their earliest powers is making a person believe a statement of your choice.
>>
>>55126635

>You don't sound like you're fun to play with

>Implying I give a fuck.
>>
>>55126695
>takes time and effort out of his day to let some anon on the internet know that he doesn't care what that anon thinks
>>
>>55126635
>Lesser than a normal game
Wait people actually need to bend or break the rules just to have fun?
>>
>>55126635
Buts what a good DM or creative player can do within the limitations is what makes it great for me
>>
File: Buttmangled.jpg (168KB, 900x896px) Image search: [Google]
Buttmangled.jpg
168KB, 900x896px
>>55123128

>>55123224

Nice picture
>>
>>55126771

Clearly a lot of people need to power trip to have fun.
>>
>>55126455
>Do you actually understand the meaning of the words?
>It's not official material but rather homebrew.
I love when idiots like you contradict themselves in the very next fucking sentence
>>
>>55126850
Are you actually a fucking retard? How are you this severely autistic? It isn't official material, you retard, if you bothered to read and understand the sentences but I guess that's too difficult for you. And I've, and others, have been calling it official homebrew.

Did you actually understand the context of that box, or are you content in your delusions?
>>
>>55123128
What should we play master?
>>
>>55126926
What do you even think "homebrew" means?
>>
>>55126935

not the op but.
4e.
>>
>>55126948
You realize the material is made by Wizards employees, don't you and not Wizards as a whole? You do realize what the Planeshift UAs are don't you?

Do you actually understand what homebrew is and what official content is?
>>
>>55126982
>You realize the material is made by Wizards employees, don't you and not Wizards as a whole?
...are you retarded?

>Do you actually understand what homebrew is and what official content is?
It's pretty fucking clear that I do and you have no idea.
>>
what is the least powerful class fluff wise?
>>
>>55127089
The one you care for the least
>>
>>55127089

What sort of retarded question is this?
>>
>>55127137
The type of questions we get on this general
>>
>>55127018
Are you actually retarded? It can be made by them and not be official, which it isn't at the moment you fucking retard. Again, see the Planeshift UAs.

Haha, you don't and you're severely autistic.
>>
Are trickery clerics the worst type of cleric mechanically and if so is there any easy way to make them better?
>>
>>55127157
>>
>>55127089
Rogues, they are just burglers and bandits.
>>
>>55123128
I've unironically experienced something similar to this pic but it wasn't "dudebros" or "alphas" but self-conscious nerds who turned every session into a stand-up comedy routine because they watched Critical Roll or some other podcast, towards the end it got so ridiculous it would take several hours to accomplish the simplest tasks that should've taken less than an hour.

And don't get me started on the "WN players", It's absolutely insane the amount of mechanics you have to wing on the spot to keep them happen.
>>
>>55127170

Yes, they are the worst type of cleric, they're among some of the weakest subclasses in the game, along side:

>PHB Beastmaster
>Way of the four elements
>Assassin Rogue
>Wild Magic Sorceror
>>
>>55127222

Fucking hate what critical role has done, i've had DM's that constantly try to make the game like it.

Also, WN?
>>
>>55127227
Wild Magic sorcerer isn't weak, it's just too dependent on the DM. They're different problems.
>>
>>55127227
What makes it so weak compared to other cleric subclasses? How would you fix it.
>>
>>55127222
>who turned every session into a stand-up comedy routine because they watched Critical Roll or some other podcast
So let them have their game? They're clearly having fun, just because you don't mesh with them doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to play like they are
>>
File: 1454872923327.jpg (21KB, 534x516px) Image search: [Google]
1454872923327.jpg
21KB, 534x516px
>>55127089
Warlocks. They're so fucking pathetic and useless they have to literally beg otherworldly beings for even a fraction of their power. They're only capable of being adventurers because some other more capable entity took pity on them. Utterly detestable.
>>
File: b49[1].gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
b49[1].gif
1MB, 680x680px
>'I'm going to do [insert very non-optimal thing to do] most of the time in combat because RP'
>>
>>55127279
Sounds like they migrated into his game based off the post he referenced
>>
>>55127246
>Also, WN?
Web Novels, players that read them tend to want to play Kingmaker on steroids, they want to micromanage their keep including but not limited to choosing what crops to grow and building to construct and the entire session to revolve around them building up their fiefdom.
>>
>>55125446

>you actually do already have enough choice

Yeah but I can't be a hexblade out of the PHB so no I don't clearly. Please, tell me, you fucking retarded faggot, which combination of PHB classes will get me a pact with a sentient weapon and makes the bladelock build work?

I already know the answer: No combination. Not one. So fuck off and stop acting like a retard. WotC could release a new edition that removes subclasses entirely and you'd still be going "hurr you haven't tried everything so stop wanting to try something else"
>>
>>55127311

How non-optimal are we talking?
>>
>>55127222
>>55127246
I don't mind watching critical role, my issue is everyone thinking there game has to be just like it and attempting to duplicate the idiocy that is three of the players still not having a basic grasp of the game this far in.
>>
>>55127311
you could have just said "I'm autistic" anon, we would have known what you meant.
>>
>>55127274

Their entire schtick revolves around their invoke duplicity divinity, something you're not going to get a lot of use out of.
>>
>>55127246
What does a critical roll game look like? I've never watched it so I want some context
>>
>>55127311
Fuck you. not every character is a strategic mastermind
>>
How do I stop my party's illusionist from being an asshole to everyone and getting us almost all killed from lol so funny pranks.
>>
>>55127404
Punch him in the dick
>>
>>55127325

I wish 5e HAD rules for upgraded buildings and growing crops and shit, would work wonders for a westmarches campaign.
>>
>>55127393
Cringe + Ineptitude made manifest
>>
>>55127360
The problem with Critical Roll is it's 100% scripted and fudged, they aren't really playing as much as acting and they hate it when a player goes off script, they have booted people off the cast list for it before.
>>
>>55127393

>Everyone competing to be funniest by lolrandom
>Not knowing how to play the game
>DM makes all the encounters based around RP, gives enemies shit tonne of HP so they have time to monologue.
>>
File: sick tattoo.png (89KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
sick tattoo.png
89KB, 480x238px
>>55127311
>my barbarian uses a quarterstaff fluffed as a shovel instead of literally any other polearm because it's part of the character concept
>>
>>55127429
>rules
>growing crops
anon, I
>>
File: 5267.jpg (41KB, 616x939px) Image search: [Google]
5267.jpg
41KB, 616x939px
>>55123128
Honestly agree with this.

>>55127222
Also this, same people who keep books and comics on display but don't even bother reading any of them. (Not even the fucking comics, I mean come on)
>>
>>55127462

Stuff like that'd be good with down time rules though; better buildings means faster crafting or better outcomes on downtime activities.
>>
>>55127429
Just wait for UA:Food and Provisions. Featuring Kingdom Building from the Devil may Cry series.
>>
>>55127438
"How to tell someone has never seen Critical Role", the post
>>
>Critical Roll
Just listen to The Adventure Zone, it's equally not real D&D but it doesn't pretend to be
>>
>>55127484

& Knuckles
>>
>>55127500
Plus they're moving on to other systems.
>>
>>55127458
Cool desu.
>>
>>55127458

My Wizard is going to go melee with unarmed attack because muscle wizard lol.
>>
>>55127496
Haha, yeah, they only have 3 full-time writers to fresh out the lore, it also didn't go to shit when 2 of those very same writers quit and went to hyper rpg.
>>
>>55127530
You're literally retarded if you think the show is scripted
>>
>>55127357
Non-bladesinger wizard going in to melee and grapple enemies with a 0 in str non-optimal
>>
>>55127546
>0 in str
Don't you automatically die if you have a 0 in any ability score?
>>
>>55127458
Could be viable with the right feats
>>
>>55127546
What possible RP justifies that?
>>
>>55126246
>skeleton
>Bone to Pick
Every time
>>
>>55127572
>Bone to Pick
>you can detach your arm and use it as a weapon
>not "Unarmed Strike"
>>
>>55127458
>using a 1d8 weapon instead of a 1d10 weapon
>Very non-optimal
>>
>>55127572
it's like originality of the concept didn't stand a ghost of a chance.
>>
>>55123844
It's too good for 5e.
>>
>>55127625

A 1d8 weapon that doesn't work with GWM.
>>
>>55127697
or have reach
>>
>>55127530
Personally the only thing that has felt fully scripted is the resurrection "rolls". I don't doubt that he actually rolls a dice but just so happens to have one ready for what is needed because at this point it's a product. Can't kill of a character people like, it's why Sam caught some flak for making a literal meme poking fun at Trump.

Also Marisha is normally too drunk to stay on script so that would fall apart too much.
>>
>>55127719

Wait what? You can't use a shield with a Pike/Glaive/Halberd anyway.
>>
File: 1454524295890.jpg (51KB, 404x599px) Image search: [Google]
1454524295890.jpg
51KB, 404x599px
>>55127529
>Tfw I know how horrible and played out this is
>Still want to do it
It's a very odd feeling since I normally hate meme characters
>>
>>55127719
you can use a shield with a quarterstaff anon, it just gets knocked down to 1d6 damage.
>>
>>55127724
>I don't doubt that he actually rolls a dice but just so happens to have one ready for what is needed because at this point it's a product
What?
Are you saying that if he didn't always have a d20 with him that it would be more believable...?
>>
>>55127724

My DM wanted to implement them at one point

I Ollie'd out.
>>
>>55127773
What's wrong with making it harder to resurrect characters in 5e? It's too easy as it is
>>
>>55127766
No I'm saying he's a DM, personally I have more than one d20 so I can easily see him having one or two sitting around for those "let me take a picture so everyone believes me" moments. Think of the sperg fit some people would throw if one of the cast's characters died?
>>
>>55127782

It's supposed to be easy, so people who are attached to their characters can keep playing them.
>>
>>55127773
>>55127820
It's different strokes and all, I know me and my group are actually going to use them because even though we're newer we still think it's way too easy.
>>
>>55127820
Fuck that shit, death should be a real risk, which it absolutely isn't in this edition. If you die in 5e then you fucked up really hard.
>>
>>55127838

How is it a real risk when you're just going to create a new character at the same level, and your party is just going to get the gear off of your body?
>>
>>55127855
>If his character dies people don't pretend he doesn't exist because he died
What's it like not playing real D&D?
>>
>>55127445
No way. It can't just be that. People can't watch 4 hours of other people playing d&d just for that.
>>
>>55127875

> don't pretend he doesn't exist because he died

I think you messed up your syntax there a lil' bud
>>
>>55127855
I bet your new character is the same race and class too
>>
>>55127899

People eat it up because people are idiots.
>>
>>55127899
To be fair Travis, Liam and sometimes Sam know how to play. The problem is Sam plays a smooth talker who always has a joke or funny line, then you have Marisha who still doesn't understand how a druid works, Laura who is meh at the game and is a beast master just to have a pet bear and Ashley who is on a TV show so isn't always there.
>>
>>55127918
Might have, I was referencing the joke comic where they tell the one girl to leave because she died in game therefore doesn't exist. Shitposting in between sets is not advised.
>>
>>55127972

Is that the christian comic that makes it out that DnD players are cultists?
>>
File: 0046_03[1].gif (38KB, 468x240px) Image search: [Google]
0046_03[1].gif
38KB, 468x240px
>>55127972
>>
>>55127988
The chic tract?
>>
>>55127899
It's much better than this butthurt autist is making it out to be
>>
>>55128003

OH SHIT IT IS

They made a film on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=subQrEPKytA
>>
When are we getting an official Thri-Kreen PC race? No one can seem to figure out how to homebrew this.
>>
>>55128148
Why would thri-kreen ever be a good pc race? You get like 4 weapons
>>
>>55123097
Have you played Doom 2016?

Firstly, you should.

Secondly, many of the early levels have the remains of cultists after the demonic invasion. Shittons of candles, occult tomes on pedastals held in the flayed hands of what used to be a person, unrecognizable human sacrifices and victims forming puddles of flesh and entrails, veins, and limbs piled in corners or hanging from ceilings.

All this is contrast with otherwise clean, workable facilities. Try some of that.
>>
>>55123141
Is that a motherfucking warforged hanging from a skyship about to rob a train?
>>
>>55127204
Thank you for being a blathering retard and having no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>55128278
>>
>>55127500
Why do people like the Adventure Zone? I'm only like 10 episodes in but it's just not that fun, the DM says "uh" every other word and it's triggering me. The PCs seem fine but the plot is absolute shite
>>
>>55128148
Once the scalies and furries get bored with pf, so hopefully never
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 395x127px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 395x127px
>>55122964
I've got an arrow that never dulls and doesn't break. How can I properly exploit this?
>>
File: 1502678103906.jpg (19KB, 261x247px) Image search: [Google]
1502678103906.jpg
19KB, 261x247px
>>55128295
>Mfw one of my players wanted to DM
>He has the exact same problem with saying "uh"
Thank God he decided not to
>>
>>55128303
Use it as a grappling hook, tie a rope to it and let it fly
>>
>>55128148
When 5e Dark Sun happens, so in like 2-3 years.
>>
>>55128322
That's pretty good actually.
>>
>>55128362
They made thri kreen minis for the current edition, might see them at some point
>>
What's a good (classed) servant for an Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>55122964
What is a good encounter for a 4 man level 2 party to encounter in a Gladiator's arena?
>>
>>55127246
> All they talk about is the new critical roll episode before the game starts
> Talk about how they wish our games were more like critical roll games
>>
>>55128537
>Your players keep saying they all want to be constantly in character and so invested in the game that if they had their way it'd practically be their dayjob

Boo hoo
>>
>>55128516
animals
>>
>>55128537
>roll
>>
>>55122964
Depends on the continent.

One continent has lost the knowledge of how to produce magical items that aren't gifted by the gods and thus even the cheapest Wand of Magic Missile is almost 5,000 gold. It's also the most diverse. Every race in the PHB plus lizardfolk, goliaths, goblinoids and draconians.

One continent is ruled over by the four races who carry one of the four bloodlines of the Divine Beasts (Azure Dragon, White Tiger, Black Turtle and Vermillion Phoenix) and have learned to create magic items using the essence cores of magical beasts. Not as much diversity with just humans, elves (blood but not related to Warcraft blood elves), orcs and tabaxi.

The underwater continent is high-magic as fuck since they discovered an ancient trove of artificer knowledge from the Severing which split the plane from all of the others. Any amphibious/underwater race. Tritons, sahuagin, bullywug, etc.

The fourth continent is high magic but mostly natural. There's no metal in the continent so most armor is made from ironwood or lamellar. Humans, firbolg, aarakocra, forest gnomes and elves.

Tieflings are present in all but the underwater continent as descendants of tieflings from before the Severing.
>>
>>55128537
god forbid the game should actually involve a lot of role play and character development
>>
>>55123888
You have a fucking powerful spell list, man. Keep healing word to boop people back up if they go down, and get shit like Guiding Bolt, Bless, Blindness, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon, Zone of Truth, Animate Dead, Beacon of Hope, Daylight, Bestow Curse, Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, or Revivify.
>>
>>55123888
Healing during combat is pointless unless someone actually goes down. Bless your beefy teammates, throw on spiritual guardians, cast spirit weapons, hold person. Sit around hitting people with your spirit weapon with your bonus action while taking the dodge action every single turn.

Why lament about how many impenetrable walls are on your team when you can become one? Dodge is the best action in the game.
>>
>>55123979
Use your sneak attack while the casters are swarmed. Cleric should be fine with medium armor and a shield, and if your wizard doesn't know Shield then he just makes bad decisions.
>>
>>55128742

Or how about we play a fucking game instead of acting out a play you massive autist?
>>
Any reason to make a Dex based (revised) ranger instead of a Str based one?
Besides Dex being better overall, I mean.
>>
How would rules to determine if a thrown weapon or a shot arrow stick into a target work?
>>
>>55128834
That's what they ARE doing you unbelievable fuckwit
>>
>>55128834
I'll give you a MM, if you want to just roll dice you can go sit in a corner and do that, while other people have fun
>>
>>55128834
>implying you can't do both

stop sniveling
>>
>>55128507
NPCs never have PC classes. They may have features from PC classes, but not the whole thing. Also, their stats are derived in a completely different way.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (39KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
39KB, 960x540px
>>55128834
>roleplaying is autism now
So this is the power of nu-/tg/.
>>
>>55128871
>>55128872

>REEEE MY RP REEEE I'M *insert name THE PALADIN REEEEE

Jesus christ the cringe
>>
>>55128834
You would probably be better served by a game like spacechem or factorio friend
>>
File: mike smiling.png (79KB, 242x264px) Image search: [Google]
mike smiling.png
79KB, 242x264px
>>55128914
good joke my man
>>
>>55128897

Roleplaying is autism, and is one of the saddest things I can imagine spending my time doing, almost as sad as spending my time on this board.
>>
File: wewtrump.png (271KB, 726x587px) Image search: [Google]
wewtrump.png
271KB, 726x587px
>>55128914

don't you have chad marines to slide across a table somewhere?
>>
>>55127360
>three of the players still not having a basic grasp of the game this far in.
I love the show and this triggers my autism like little else.

I have a new player that has a better grasp of her character after 3 months than Marisha does after 3 YEARS.

Stupid alcoholic ginger.
>>
>>55128931
ImEnjoyingMyAnger.jpg
>>
File: cite your shit.png (8KB, 300x92px) Image search: [Google]
cite your shit.png
8KB, 300x92px
>>55127530
Prove it.
>>
>>55128858
Just wing it. If the attack hits the creature or object's AC, and it deals what seems to be a good amount of damage, and it makes sense for it to stick, say it sticks. If it's a creature instead of an object, maybe it only sticks if the creature has low HP, because most of HP is plot armor. There are so many different kinds of materials with such different properties that you'd basically have to make a giant table that you'd end up not consulting anyway. A normal guy, a high-CR badass guy, a wooden door, a stone wall, and a gelatinous cube will all react differently to being hit with a thrown pointy thing, along with anything else you can imagine.
>>
>>55127743
I have plans for a goliath wizard that was usurped from his nobility, and had vague ideas about him grappling people and doing point-blank dex save spells on them.

Is that retarded?
>>
>>55128854
I think you just answered your own question, bro. Also, rangers don't get the great weapon fighting style, so swinging some big honking non-finesse weapon is slightly less optimal for them.
>>
>>55128834
Then go play vidya.

The limitless possibilities of RP is what makes TTRPGs great.

Not saying that crunch and combat is useless, those are good too.
>>
>>55128991
A little
>>
Making a level 10 sorcerer and the limited spell known is a pain in the ass. What must-have spells should I pick?
>>
>>55127246
>>55127393
I have a DM who has started asking "how do you want to do this?" whenever a PC kills something because that's what they do on Critical Role. I have run out of ways to say "I shoot it with arrows until it stops living."
>>
>>55129076
Fireball, Polymorph, Animate Objects, Dimension Door, and Banishment. Fly, Haste, and Improved Invisibility are useful but not mandatory.
>>
Lore wizard's spell secrets specifies spells that use spell slots, do cantrips count?
>>
>>55129087
>I have a DM who has started asking "how do you want to do this?" whenever a PC kills something because that's what they do on Critical Role.
Matt only asks that on boss kills, your DM is overdoing it.
>>
>>55129087
I think the idea is you get the freedom to describe what it does when it dies, and where you shoot it. Eye, heart, neck, chest, etc, and what follows.

The DM will probably let you Rule of Cool a lot of it—Mercer let the barbarian rip a goristro in half.
>>
so I'm wanting to run a game as a dm, and while i've used roll20 in the past, table top simulator could have 3d capabilites
>>
>>55129087
>Tfw made this mistake the first month of DMing for friends
Honestly didn't realize how much I was doing it at first until I thought about it.
>>
>>55129087
If your DM is doing it for every kill then he has completely failed to grasp why Mercer does it in the first place.
>>
>debuff an enemy
>have to remind the DM that the enemy is debuffed every turn because she always forgets
I should just take damage spells...
>>
>>55128295
If I remember right the four of them combined had roughly zero experience playing dnd before they all started. Well into the third act Clint is still getting some basic rules wrong.

I will say though they have some real good shit later on. I know "it gets better later" is a shit reason to keep investing your time in something, but if you're #1 complaint is too many "uh's", I'd say keep watching it.
>>
>>55129123
There's room to describe some blow-by-blow fight choreography with melee weapons, but ranged weapons and spells don't take as well to stunts without turning into some Looney Tunes kind of shit where it's bouncing off things or knocking things down from the ceiling.
>>
>>55129121
Do cantrips use spell slots?
>>
One of my players is a Barbarian and wants to do hand to hand combat without being a monk or multiclass. He just wants to be a Barbarian that fights with fists and can still do damage like that. Is there a feat or any other way where he can do this without being OP? We are starting at level 5 if that helps and he is a half orc
>>
>>55129122
My DM only does that on critical hit that kills someone
>>
>>55129121
>YOU NEED TO USE SPELL SLOTS FOR THIS FEATURE
>DURR CAN I NOT USE A SPELL SLOT AND STILL GET IT DURR DURR
fuck off idiot
>>
>>55129179
Tavern Brawler
>>
>>55129179
There's Tavern Brawler. He'll still be weaker than someone who has a weapon, which in my opinion is how it should be. Weapons aren't just cosmetic, and someone who refuses a chance to arm himself before going to battle should be required to explain himself.
>>
>>55128583
>>55128715
>>55128742
The irony is that I'm a player and I get my daily does of autism from /tg/ rather than critical roll
>>
I..I want to play Evocation Wizard... someone please stop me...
>>
File: featurelength.png (29KB, 234x347px) Image search: [Google]
featurelength.png
29KB, 234x347px
>>55129282
kek
>>
>>55129283
Do it, anyone who tells you it sucks doesn't realize just how small the power gaps actually are between classes in 5e
>>
What is considered the best episode and worst episode of critical roll? If I'm going to hate something I want to hate it myself.
>>
>>55129283
Play a Light Cleric instead
>>
>>55129187
I only do it when I'm out of ideas for graphic description or when the player has already given some description when calling the attack, in which case I say "... and it works out, slaying x, continue your description".
>>
>>55129283
Do it, no regerts!
>>
>>55129302
It suck precisely because of the small power gap between classes. Other kind of wizard can do similar damage but with more utility.
>>
>>55129283
why not evocation sorcerer?

the power burns in your veins
>>
>>55129366
>>55129343
Light Cleric and Sorcerer can't do 7d4+40 damage magic missile at level 10, follow by bonus action 10d4+40 damage with animate weapon though.
>>
>>55129317
At least get the name right - it's Role, not Roll
Anyway there isn't really a best or worst episode. My vote for worst would be the first time they played on a stage with a live audience. Best episode would probably be among 39, 85, or 100, but all require a lot of context to get why they're good

>Other kind of wizard can do similar damage but with more utility.
But Evocation wizards are about more damage, not more utility. If you have fun doing more damage, why would you change from a "more damage" subclass to a "more utility" subclass?
>>
>>55129200
>>55129201
Spike Guantlets are his idea. Should I give them a 1d6 bludgegoing damage?
>>
File: krangg!.jpg (43KB, 602x643px) Image search: [Google]
krangg!.jpg
43KB, 602x643px
>>55129179
Others have already said Tavern Brawler, but there are ways to take it a step further if the DM is cool about it.

One of the other features of TB is that you gain proficiency with improvised weapons, which is basically anything that's not an actual weapon. If you were to shove your arm up a boar's ass and start punching people with this dead boar boxing glove, that would be an improvised weapon.

So, rather than wearing a boar, craft (or have crafted) some form of gauntlet weapon. A Fighter might go in for a spiked gauntlet, or a punch dagger permanently fixed to the back of his gauntlet, or just a giant metal forearm sheath that turns his hand into a hammer. A Barbarian might wrap his forearm in hides and stud the sides with fangs from wild beasts, stick some large bits of antler on his dukes, sew an eagle's talons into the fingers, or just hollow out a bear's paw.

You're now using a weapon, but it's still something akin to an unarmed fighting style. It may or may not leave the wielded hand free, or only free for certain actions (grappling an enemy, but not manipulating fine objects). You can improve this damage beyond the base d4 that Tavern Brawler provides; d6 is good, and power-wise you're safe all the way up to d8 for a one-handed weapon. This might be "better" than a traditional one-hander if it leaves the hand free and it obviously can't be disarmed, but object interaction rules are already one of the dumbest parts of D&D and 5E in particular, so whatever.

The second option also relies on Tavern Brawler, and can be used with these improvised fist weapons, or you can leave it to fists only: either treat unarmed as dual-wielding (punch with both fists), or leave the door open for glorious HAMMERBLOWS. Interlace the fingers of both hands and slam bitches with your "two-hander" unarmed attack.
>>
>>55129469
You could probably homebrew some sort of caestus for him
>>
>>55129431
>7d4+40 damage magic missile
You mean (1d4+6)*7
Also what's animate weapon? If it's a spell, remember that you can only cast a cantrip as your action if you cast a non-cantrip bonus action spell
>>
>>55129179
Easiest solution is giving him a pair of cestus. If he insists in fighting with his BARE FISTS than maybe a feat that granrs him access to the monk's unarmed damage. I don't think it will be a big deal.
>>
>>55129469
1d4 for fist. Or refluff club / light hammer
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (146KB, 876x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
146KB, 876x1200px
I have a player who wants to play a Pyromancer and this is the class he sent me : https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pyromancer_(5e_Class)
I need help balancing it because there are some things that just stick out to me as a little bit too much. I've already switched the Wizard spells known progression to Sorcerer spells known progression.

Things that seem a bit too much:
>Free Hellish Rebuke on every melee attack
>Cantrip damage is equivalent to the Warlock
>2 4th level Flame Blades CHA mod per day + Extra attack (4d6+CHA three times) at 7th level
>Remove fire resistances/immunity

The archetype he plans on using, the Path of the Phoenix looks largely reasonable.
>>
>>55129550
There's no fixing Dan Dwiki. Just use the Pyromancer Sorcerous Origin from page 9 of Plane Shift: Kaladesh (https://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf)
>>
>>55129512
A better spiritual weapon. Because Wizard is superior.
>>
>>55129550
You could also just tell him to play a wizard or sorcerer and just take fire spells
>>
What's something that a do-good squad of vigilantes might be found doing?
>>
>>55129610
>A better spiritual weapon. Because Wizard is superior.
But what's it from? I can't find it in any of the books
>>
Tfw first death in CoS lead to a tpk and an end to the campaign. Now someone else is dming Storm King's Thunder, is there any good class for killing giants?
>>
>>55129550
>>55129550
don't allow stuff from dandwiki. You are just increasing your workload for practically nothing.
>>
>>55129620
Ruffing up some thugs
Stopping a purse snatcher
Helping a little old lady across the street
>>
>>55129607

It looked fine at first but the more you look into it the worse it gets. It's like someone just wanted every all of the good things spell casters get + Extra Attack.

>>55129615
I would normally do that, but I can see the appeal of a "specialized class". Especially since this a casual game, I don't really mind homebrew so long as it's reasonable.

>>55129638
Not everything from D&D wiki is complete garbage. But I can agree with you that it's a lot of work to try and balance this class for almost zero return.
>>
>>55129622
try replacing weapon with objects
>>
>>55129636
Fuckin Rangers, especially if you can use the UA Revised Ranger
>>
>>55129663
Try actually using the name of the spell next time then you fuckhead
>>
>>55129636
>fighting the giants
Unless your DM babies you, no. All the giant dungeons are intended to be beaten by stealthing through to the "free a captive / take a hostage" room and doing exactly as the adventure assumes, even when there's no indication that such a thing is present or would be useful. If you intend to fight the giants and the DM actually has one of them yell, "Hey, there's a bunch of fucking short guys here, everyone c'mere and kill them," you will be mobbed by five times your number of shit that can wreck any of you one-on-one.

So basically play a Repelling Blastlock, Sharpshooter Whatever, a Rogue / Shadow Monk, or some caster that does nothing but spam Slow and Banish.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (45KB, 750x591px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
45KB, 750x591px
>>55129656
>Not everything from D&D wiki is complete garbage
>>
>>55129636
Ranger, favored enemy: giants.

Beyond that any and every class that's good at massive damage vs single targets to wear down all them meat points and/or all the dex save effects ever.
>>
>>55129696
so Druid or anyone with pass without trace?
>>
>>55129696
>tfw your dm likes to make encounters harder but your main plan is and always will be walk in the front door and kill things.

Only backfired once so far.
>>
>>55129731
Yea. There's zero giant dungeons that aren't trivialized by a Druid turning into some form of bird (or a bat, for Stone Giants) and swooping through. With the exception of the Fire Giant forge, it wouldn't be that unusual for a bird to be flying through any of them.

It's still not a very compelling module because so much of the combat and all the "signature" dungeons are garbage. The best part is honestly the early shit where you get to fight orcs and barbarians, and maybe a giant or two shows up as a boss-type thing.
>>
>>55129485
>f you were to shove your arm up a boar's ass and start punching people with this dead boar boxing glove, that would be an improvised weapon.
I love it.
>>
Is there any way to have a small or tiny elemental follower that doesn't require DM approval?
>>
Should I allow a lvl 5 PC to have the Mobile feat?
>>
>>55129832
Did they take an ASI at level 4? If not, go ahead.
>>
>>55129832
You should allow a level 4 PC to have the mobile feat
>>
>>55129855
Yeah. Lvl 4 sorry. But isnt It too OP?
>>
>>55129885
Whoever told you that was fucking with you. It's strong, sure. Definitely nowhere near OP
>>
Anyone use a variant rule with vitality instead of just HP?

There are a couple variations, but I think I really enjoy the concept. Makes HP seem less like flesh-points.

And, while I know that HP is described as a combination of the above two concepts in the PHB, I like it being mechanically rendered.

Thoughts??
>>
>>55122964
I'm trying to use the Form Fillable Character Sheet pdf, but every time I change my Str/Dex, whatever it changes the last one I changed to -5. Any idea why/how can I fix it?
>>
>>55129550
Couldnt he just play a phoenix sorcerer?
>>
Why the hate for dwarves lately? I rarelly see any dwarf appreciation, be it online or irl. What happened?
>>
>>55130014
A lack of appreciation isn't the same as hate.
Don't be surprised that people have shit taste. Dwarves are the patrician's choice, and in any hobby populated largely by plebs and edgelords, of course they won't be that popular.
>>
>>55129823
Do you want it to be useful in combat or for utility? If neither than I can only imagine an asshat would deny a player a pet for fluff purposes.
>>
>>55127616
No, because you can use it as a lockpick.
>>
>>55130014
>>55130076
The most fun I had as a DM was when I played a dwarf cleric who helped the party for two or three sessions
>>
What do people feel about sunless citadel?
>>
>>55130166
It's nice, Belak's spells are pretty mediocre
>>
>>55130166
3/10, lamp oil bills are murder. Needs some windows, preferrably northern and eastern exposures. Would really open up the living space.
>>
I got another question. Is Path of the Storm Herald too strong to allow in a campaing?
>>
>>55130151
>introduce random Dwarven engineer / tomb robber as a foil for the party
>tries to cut ahead of them in a dungeon and steal the shit they were after
>gets away with it, but inadvertantly helps the party out in a combat
>party doesn't clue in to him having stolen things and thinks he was just a nice Dwarf blowing shit up to aid them
>they get stuck on breaking into a vault a few adventures later and track down this random Dwarf NPC for help, so he gets brought back
>party and Dwarf become bros
>party eventually joins the fucking Dwarven Revolution just to hang out with Dwarfbro and overthrow the clan monarchy
It's an abstract kind of Zapata western feel, but I dig it.
>>
>>55130309
It's not that strong at all.
>>
>>55130339
Sure? The aura thing seems broken
>>
>>55130396
>light damage to creatures of your choice near you while raging
It's nice damage boost, especially in aoe, but it's not as straight up ridiculous as bearbarian
>>
>>55130419
And what about Zealot? 1d6+half lvl is pretty strong when you cant hace a saving throw against it.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>55130458
>>55130458
>>55130458
>>55130458
>>55130458
>>
>>55130396
>2-4 damage to nearby creatures per turn, or 2-12 to one creature with a fucking Dex save
Compare that to Zealot's 2-10 to everything next to them every turn (including allies, unlike Herald) or Bearbarian's "lol i take half damage from everything forever".
>>
>>55130454
Sure, but you don't get to pick targets so the Barb will shred any friendly melee party members
>>
File: 1502723714912.jpg (40KB, 505x488px) Image search: [Google]
1502723714912.jpg
40KB, 505x488px
>>55130324
Very nice
>>
Just hit level 3 and I'm finding it hard to pick level 2 spells for my wizard. Any suggestions?
>>
Requesting scarred lands for 5e
Thread posts: 372
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.