[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 22

File: Dark Heresy Doom.jpg (70KB, 409x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Heresy Doom.jpg
70KB, 409x400px
"Relative Powergaming" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
http://www.ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: >>55014763

What theme park splat do you hope WanG will cover? Where or when do you most want to visit, and who do you want to fight?
>>
FLUFFY POST HERE

how are tech-priests trained?
is there a school for it on mars, or are there apprenticeships, or some other thing?
>>
>>55083379 (OP)
>What theme park splat do you hope WanG will cover?
Imperial Knights, so bad. I just wonder how long before we get it.
>>
>>55083379
Dark Age of Technology, the Age of the Emperor's Ascension, or the Great Crusade.
>>
>>55083489

We have two good homebrews with knights, they can probably tide you over
>>
File: 1499830376347.jpg (371KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1499830376347.jpg
371KB, 1600x1066px
>>55083544
It's more that I'm interested in the spectacle that will be their take on it. How will they cover it? How much fluff/crunch will there be? Will it be good/passable/laughable/horrific? Just how deep will they dive into the Knight scions, their society and the cogs, both internal and external, that make it work. Will the default be Freeblades(the obvious choice) or House Knights(Game of Thrones in Space!)? Just how badass/wimpy will they be on the battlefield?

Ultimately, will we get a dumpster fire or a goldmine? So many questions.
>>
>>55083638
The lack of open playtest makes me lean more toward the dumpster fire.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQSVSANqZVg&t=1787s

Lot of info about Wrath and Glory here.
>>
Is DH 2e good for beginners?
>>
>>55083718
As long as you're able to keep track of things on your character sheet and are capable of making decisions for yourself, yes.
>>
>>55083718
Adding on to this, what books are considered necessary?
>>
>>55083736
Core rulebook.
>>
>>55083718
the way they word things in the manual FUCKING SUCKS

also see>>55083742
for it is truth
>>
>>55083730
>>55083742
Ah, I meant as in what splatbooks are generally considered a must-have, and that I'm the one GM'ing. I'm tired.

>>55083753
Kek, that sounds wonderful.
>>
>>55083718
To be perfectly homest, I use Only War to introduce players to 40krpgs.

Specifically, a scenario where you're being HALO'd in to destroy a Sanctuary city's Hydra Batteries.

The party is made up of the guardsmen who survived the flak ceiling.
>>
>>55083764
All the Enemies books.

Human side stats are inflated compared to previous lines.
>>
File: DEETER.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
DEETER.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
HOW SHITTY IS THIS CHARACTER?

I don't care too much about min-maxing.

I want to play it as a low/no combat character.
with a focus on knowing things, making things, replacing the weakness of his flesh, and PURGING ALL THOSE WHO WOULD TAINT THE HOLY WORKS OF THE ADMECH WITH XENO AND CHAOTIC INFLUENCES

>never played before
>when build does not match standard char-gen assume GM permission
>>
>>55083935
There are dots to on the sides of your characteristics to indicate how many times you've advanced them.
>>
>>55083988
I have not advanced any of them those were my straight down the line rolls

no stat may be advanced beyond 45 at the start of the game
>>
>>55083694
Open playtest does not in any way correlate to quality of the final game.
>>
Is a Penitant Mutant (arm bone blades) from a Demon World a good or bad idea?

Thinking of making him an Emperor loving/fearing man who was born a mutant on a demon world and stowed away with a warband of human heretics.

Eventually he was discovered by the Inquisitor and made a part of the retinue with a short leash.

Would making him a blank later be out of the question?
>>
>>55084410
You can't become a blank. You're born one.
>>
>>55084490
In dh2e you have to buy into that advanced role. Dont you?
>>
>>55084501
Yes and the idea is that you buy into it at character creation.
>>
>>55084490
I'm sure shoving a null-rode inside yourself would get you there. Wonder if anyone influential enough as ever tried it, cause that seems like the first thing you'd think of if you ever came into possession of one?
>>
>>55084501
DH2e's handling of Blanks pretty much fucked the fluff completely. Without making any effort to adjust the fluff to suit the broken stupid rules.
>>
File: 01-002.jpg (44KB, 750x158px) Image search: [Google]
01-002.jpg
44KB, 750x158px
>>55083935
>Those Characteristics
Jesus, how did they come about?
>Finesse
Sorry sport, but you can't have that. Sad I know, but what can you do? And while you're at it, get a tap of Dodge. Your insides will thank you later
>>
>>55084539
Ah. Hows the rest od the concept?
>>
>>55084608
>Sorry sport, but you can't have that
why?

>rules citation
tech and inteligence
I had 2 duplicate aptitudes so I picked General and finesse as alternates
is that not possible?

>take dodge
I'll look into that
is it that worth it?
>>
>>55084835
>I had 2 duplicate aptitudes so I picked General and finesse as alternates
First, you _don't pick General;_ everyone has it by default.
Second, read the >>55084608
's screencap. You can pick only a _characteristic-based_ aptitude, which Finesse isn't.
>>
>>55084608
>Those Characteristics
>Jesus, how did they come about?
random roll on roll20, 2d10+25
with the rolls that did 3d10 drop lowest +25
and the one at 3d10 drop highest +25

straight down the line witnessed and verified by the GM
>>
>>55084763
Well, in DH2e, you have an entire Blank talent tree. Eventually gives you stuff like denying Psychic Powers nearby you, etc.

In every other part of the lore, blanks work like that no matter what. They always negate psychic powers nearby to them, not just "weaken" them. It's not a skill you develop, it's a trait you're born with and stays more or less the same forever, although it can be amplified with equipment.
>>
>>55084854
ah I see.
>everyone has it by default.
not knowing this is what I get for reading about aptitudes then just looking at the aptitude discount charts. that makes more sense, so I'm back to having 2 aptitudes to pick, what do you recommend?

we have at least 2 players going majority combat and the sixth man is on the fence going full combat or maximum party-face. I want to go mostly tech skill-monkey
>>
>>55084835
>is it that worth it?
Over a 1/3 chance to not get gutted by a Hellblade or a krak grenade? Worth the 200-300 xp I say...
>straight down the line witnessed and verified by the GM
Didn't doubt that, just curious. I would have killed for a WB 4 when I started (I rolled 27 without matching aptitudes).

Btw, I didn't notice a divination. Have rolled one?
>>
>>55084898
>what do you recommend?
Agility and toughness. You want speed to outrun the daemon host that your GM will be throwing at you on your first day in the service of his holy majesty (mine does anyways...) and Toughness is always nice. You don't really do anything with the other aptitudes unless you want to have autistic strength or a savvy spoke person of the mechanicus
>>
>>55084914
>divination
I gained a free talent HATRED

GM let me pick hatred of Heretek
as in tech that hybrids with chaos or Xeno tech
and also tainted admech or admech wannabes
as well as a disslike(RP) of people mucking about with tech they shouldn't
>>
>>55084946
noted.
speed to get to cover

and a second chance if I'm not fast enough...

>autist strength
nah I'm good thanks.
on my other computer I am assembling an "autistic binary screeching" soundboard
>>
>>55083407
Read up on how you go from altar boy to seminary, and it's mostly like that + trade school.
>>
>>55083407
They're selected to be tech-priests from birth and groomed for the role from there. Forge Worlds are typically incredibly depersonalised and utilitarian, free will doesn't really exist.

Obviously it's a big galaxy and in some places it'll be done differently, but I think that's the standard.
>>
>>55086416
So basically the AdMech fucked up the whole idea of being human and machine and are just machines?

How are they different from Men of Iron?
>>
>>55086426
They have squishy bits.
>>
>>55083935
>rolled stats
I'm guessing your GM is one of those that won't allow the pointbuy because "muh natural stats" or something?

>I want to play it as a low/no combat character
Eh, not a great idea for DH. At least stock up on grenades, and get a weapon capable of auto fire and/or a flamer, so you can contribute to the inevitable combat.

I see others have picked up on the more mechanical faults of your character, but I will just stress that you should pick up Dodge. Perhaps consider using your doubled Aptitude to pick up the Agility Aptitude, since you already have all Knowledge/Int.
>>
>>55084410
>>55084490
DH2e indeed allows becoming a blank after chargen. I think the intent behind it is that someone could potentially be a latent blank, but really 2e's handling of blank fluff and how they have a whole tree they have to work down is purely for gamification purposes, y'know allowing people to afford the blank role at chargen by keeping it a low initial XP cost and then giving you something to work towards.

Back to the character, I sure as hell hope your Inquisitor is radical as fuck. Have you discussed with your GM and party about having a dude with such an obvious mutation? Penitents are one thing, but an obvious mutant is another since the capacity for more mutations is a very real threat.
>>
>>55086536
>y'know allowing people to afford the blank role at chargen
DH1e handled this just fine without fucking up the lore.
>>
Planning a campaign in an Underhive where characters have to get to the surface and survive, any ideas?
>>
I wish 40k had stayed with FFG and they got to make a 40k RPG on the Star Wars dice system.

I guess I could homebrew it now it's going standalone.
>>
>>55086555
>muh 1e

Actually no, 1e goes against the lore just as much as 2e by having weak blanks. Only "Pariahs" get the proper canon blank effects.
>>
>>55086712
Honestly at this point the line between my own houserules and the actual DH1e rules is so blurred that I probably mixed the two up.
>>
>>55086712
There are grades of psycher, I don't see why the scale wouldn't continue in reverse
>>
>>55086896
Being a blank means not having a soul.

Do low level blanks only have half a soul?
>>
>>55086570
is it Dark Heresy you are preparing for? Provide some details, describe the world and the type of city: who runs it and what's their's policy on the underhive? What is generally happenning in this underhive? Why have characters found themselves there? If there's something they need to accomplish before reaching for the surface?
>>
>>55086896
>psycher
It's psyker for a start, and the easy answer to your question is "that's how it works in the canon novels". Even though BL books can be a real mismatch and even contradict each other, all psychic blank characters have been described as utterly eliminating psychic effects within their area of influence. That's just their canon description.

The more complex answer is a discussion around the idea that >>55086910 brings up. Blanks completely oppose the warp's influence because they essentially have no soul, it's not something that they can improve in the way that a psyker trains their ability, it's not something that comes in varying degrees. They just are.
>>
>>55083407
My impression is that you're raised in the cult, and so get selected from a young age for training. On a Forgeworld, it's likely from birth, on other planets there are probably small populations of lay-technicians who help the priests and maintain their residences, doing jobs that are unsuited for servitors, and from whose children priests are selected and trained. Children are probably offered to the cult from outside on rare occasions too, I'd guess.
>>
>>55086536
My gm is having the inquisitor be radical, and acting like Hans Landa from Inglorious Basterds
>>
>>55083793
What are Sanctuary Cities?
>>
File: Slaaneshi Heretek.gif (3MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Slaaneshi Heretek.gif
3MB, 500x282px
>>55084523
>"Well, we couldn't afford a Culexus, but we lubed up our Adept with sanctified oil and stuck a null rod up his ass"
>"and what have you found?"
>"He, uh, he doesn't like it."
>>
>>55087219
After looking into it, i CAN buy into it at chargen. Gms cool with kt. And hey i have a reason why i havent been blammed or eaten by a demon.
>>
>>55086426
These are the guys that surgically remove the emotion centers of their brains so that they can more purely rely on logic.
There's not much difference.
>>
>>55086570
Turf war between heretic mutants and devout mutants, various bizarre gangs, death cults, cave-ins, giant termites, that kind of thing.
You could do it a lot like The Warriors, where there's a price on your players heads and everybody wants a piece.
>>
>>55087240
Special snowflake much?
>>
>>55087693
Fair point. Guess i can drop the mutant and/or demon world bit.
>>
>>55086570

They're just about to reach the door out, when suddenly necrons attack.
>>
File: black-crusade-logo.jpg (45KB, 600x318px) Image search: [Google]
black-crusade-logo.jpg
45KB, 600x318px
Serious question, I've only played one session of this. And the GM wasn't that great but I could see it possibly having potential.

How fun is this game as both a 40k game and a standalone RPG?
>>
>>55090531
With the right people it's a riot of OW THE EDGE, cartoon villainy and off the wall characters.

With the wrong people, it's a dumpster fire of OW THE EDGE, cartoon villainy and snowflake characters.
>>
What sort of resistance might an on-the-run heretek find? Let's say he joined up with a rogue trader for the time being.
>>
>>55092071
The any admech that would know of him.
>>
Would Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders have Survivalists or Sharpshooters doctrine? I already gave them Snipers doctrine.
>>
>>55092071
Only Mechanicus and people who are familiar with them really. The rest won't know the difference between sanctioned and unsanctioned tech unless it's blatant heresy (Shuriken catapult, etc...)
>>
>>55092071
>>55092262
This. Unless he's spewing out daemons all day, every day, barely anyone not a techpriest will know what the fuck he's doing, let alone that it's heresy.
>>
>>55090531
It's excellent if the GM and the party know what they want. We use BC to run anti-Imperium conspiracy extravaganza with regular humans only and I'm loving it. But the few times I had the misfortune to play with random people, it turned into a very bad anime.
>>
>>55086503
>I'm guessing your GM is one of those that won't allow the pointbuy because "muh natural stats" or something?
no idea but they also gave us an extra 1000 free XP

>Eh, not a great idea for DH. At least stock up on grenades, and get a weapon capable of auto fire and/or a flamer, so you can contribute to the inevitable combat.
first job is infiltrating the crew of a rogue trader.
I suspect there may be questions if I show up for work with a bandoleer of grenades.

though I DID consider the Demolition Kit as one of my gear upgrades
>>
>>55090636
He asked for a description of Black Crusade, Anon, not the entire line.
>>
Are there rules for playing pregnant characters?
>>
>>55094331
>>>/d/
>>>/out/
>>>/anywherebuthere/
>>
>>55094375
See the thing is I want to have a character get corrupted by Slaaneshi demons and start getting pregnant with a mutant human baby. And since they're an Inquisitor's Acolyte, it becomes a huge internal moral issue for the character.
>>
>>55094506
>it becomes a huge internal moral issue for the character.
Throwing acolytes out the airlock isn't a moral issue for the Inquisitor, desu
>>
>>55094814
Literally this. Anything remotely heretical going on with an Acolyte usually leads to purging unless their Inquisitor is radical. But even then there's no way they'd allow a daemon-spawn do be born.
>>
>>55094814
Yeah but the character has to decide whether to keep it a secret, abort it, etc.
>>
>>55094925
A radical inquisitor would probably chain up the acolyte and lobotomize the pregnant character for a science project.
>>
>>55094941
It's a lame excuse to insert your fetish into a game that has little tolerance for magical realm.
>>
>>55094951
But it's the fault of fighting corruption, not because they're corrupt themselves.
>>
>>55095206
The Imperium doesn't give a fuck, corruption is corruption. I know you're trying to justify jerk-off fuel but still.
>>
>>55095206
Acolytes are expendable and easily replaced. If I'm cleaning up a mess with a sponge, and the sponge becomes dirty, I can attempt to restore the sponge to it's original, pristine conditions.

However, that will take time and effort, and if I have a dozen more sponges in a cupboard that I haven't even taken out of the packaging, I'd be inclined to just throw it away after the mess was cleaned. Same thing with the acolytes. They'll inevitably become corrupted or insane in their adventures, and their inquisitors will use them until it's cheaper to kill them and have them replaced.
>>
>>55083379
"Huurrrrr durrrrrr ded gaem thred"
I want everyone who doubted the return of the Emperor's light on the RPG games to kill themselves immediately.
>>
>>55086910
>>55086712
Akchually, there are degrees of soullessness
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Assignment
>>
>>55092951
>I suspect there may be questions if I show up for work with a bandoleer
No, but an expanded mag autopistol is nice and allows you to pin with Suppressing Fire in combat. Carrying one of those around is not suspect at all, no matter who you're posing as really. Grenades are better off getting after chargen anyway.
>>
>>55095517
It says right there, an Omega level is a blank.

> These individuals are so inert in the Warp as to actually exhibit negative psychic influence upon others. Primarily manifested as a small region of "blankness" surrounding the individual, it is impossible for psychic powers or warp creatures to penetrate this space.
>Those at an Omega level of psi-negativity can easily be distinguished by others, as Imperial science has shown the dead-area surrounding the subject interferes with natural electrical-mental functions. This often results in irrational fear and loathing of the individual for normal humans. For psykers, however, Omega level persons are physically and mentally painful to be near.

That, is a blank.
>>
Is there such a thing as an IG regiment too focused on fire?
>>
>>55097356
Yes. I seem to recall a FW vehicle which is an open-topped Hellhound with space for a small squad of soldiers to ride in.
>>
>>55097433
Are you sure it wasn't just a chimera with a heavy flamer?
>>
Quick question:

How does the twin linked rule work with spray weapons? (e.g. an immolator's twin linked heavy flamers)
>>
>>55097528
Logically if the person trying to avoid the spray weapon fails the agility test by two or more degrees, they get hit a second time. The test should also be at a -20.
>>
>>55096238
noted

and the way that Tech-Use and Trade skills work I could also MAKE one of those given the right raw materials and 1d10 hours
>>
>>55098185
Do you have the blueprints?
>>
>>55098214
how does one acquire them?

that wasn't clear in the excerpt I read
>>
So, group cancelled the regular game we were playing today on account of a player going to a baseball game (honoring his late pop) and the backup game was called on account of the dm not being into it due to fatigue.

So. They elected to get a leg up on regiment creation and specialty selection for my upcoming Only War game.

Here's what they chose;

Frontier World (full cowboy judging by the accents)
Maverick CO
Drop Troops (I told them they had to pick this. Already have a story path in mind and It's the closest thing to mobile they can get short of vehicles and mounts
Hardened Fighters (they chose a Low Tech Weapon, Horse Head clubs based on pic related)
Demolitions
Honour Bound (Proud Frontiersman that they are)

With the remaining points, and the 3 points i refunded on account of them being shoehorned into a Drop Troop Regiment, they had 35 points altogether. They upgraded the craftsmanship from common to best, got a survival suit, an advanced medkit, and then a can of recaf per squadmate.

They were all burnt out on account of a food coma that was brought on by the session eats (low carb chicken cordon blue lasagna/casserole) so no real fluff other than they are Blue Collar types and cowboys essentially.

Here's what everyone picked as their Specialties

Weapon Specialist (Flamer)
Medic
Ogryn
Sanctioned Psyker
Commissar
Last Player has yet to decide.

The Plot is; Their company is where the fuckups, malcontents, and shitheads that aren't bad enough to warrant a summary execution get sent as cannon fodder for the cannon fodder. Think Bad Company mixed with ww2 era 101st Airborne. They'll be dropping onto a Severan Dominate controlled world in a sector that the Dominate has begun "expansion" into since they've begun to expand out of the Calixis Sector due to shenanigans (this does take place in TTS as to not make the game to serious) the world is basically Not!Europe.

SO! How would you guys rate this squad/regiment? How would you fluff them?
>>
>>55098555
Top Gun paras then?

Fluff-wise, they must come from a planet with lots of mesas scattered around grassy steppes so they can be full cowboy.
>>
>>55098555
Why do they get the best gear though if they're the best-of-the-worst?
>>
File: 1503286329832.gif (3MB, 590x388px) Image search: [Google]
1503286329832.gif
3MB, 590x388px
>>55098625
they get best quality horse shaped clubs that they themselves carve as a right of passage. Or so my players said (it was originally supposed to be a sledgehammer sized hobby horse but i put the kibosh on that, too retarded.

>>55098600
Top Gun was about the best of the worst? Thank you. I can fluff out their homeworld better.
>>
>>55092121
not really, Teddy and his rough riders were more like shock troops who had people who happened to be sharpshooters in them.
>>
>>55098555
>fuckups, malcontents, and shitheads
... don't get equipped on par with the Elysian 13th.

>get sent as cannon fodder for the cannon fodder
That's worthy of the Condemned drawback.

>cannon fodder
>expendable in the face of enemy fire
Typically, that means being used to hold the front lines by sheer numbers, not dropped in via the most expensive means behind enemy lines.

>How would you fluff them?
I'd start off by acknowledging what you've created as a group, lining up the fluff and regiment choices by changing both as necessary, and taking it from there.
>>
>>55096399

Read it again. Upsilon etc. are people with various degrees of immunity to psychic powers. And then there's Omega-minus, the creepy bastards...

While the Animus Speculum helps focus nega-psychic energy, it seems to also require training. "Blankness" is something that can be honed.
>>
What do you do with your standard kit points for regiments that are primarily vehicle based?
>>
>>55084854
>>55084608
>>55084946
>Agility and toughness.
these changes have been made

still hoping for an answer to
>>55098264
>>55098214
regarding blueprints

character backstory includes "was apprenticed to a deathwatch armorer until he was acquired by the inquisitor as an acolyte"
>>
File: 1300445581151.jpg (3KB, 126x116px) Image search: [Google]
1300445581151.jpg
3KB, 126x116px
>>55100668
>>character backstory includes "was apprenticed to a deathwatch armorer until he was acquired by the inquisitor as an acolyte"
>>
>>55102114
what?
deathwatch needs armorers too.
not every astartes is a salamander.

it may or may not justify why I'd have such blueprints
>>
>>55102191
Why the fuck was your character apprenticed to a Space Marine? Is he a Space Marine?
>>
>>55102235
no.
he was apprenticed to the guy that fixes their armor.

that guy doesn't have to be an astartes

and not all chapters require their members to fix their own equipment
>>
>>55102248
And why the fuck would they let a random acolyte near their venerated highly important equipment?
>>
>>55102259
...because that's how that works? Chapter Serfs repair gear all the time.
>>
looking for possible tips/input:
only ever played 2 sessions in the last decade and those were zombie apocalypse in the present with me as player and gm
for the third and last session I want to change system to Only War
how practical would this be if the antagonist is a sorcerer with a rage-inducing magical stone? a demon will show up too

plan was to cut down on skills, weapons, psychic powers (only enemies)
leave out traits, talents, aptitudes

is 30 a solid human baseline characteristic?
>>
>>55102259
>a very stupid question
you must be some kind of 'tard...but to answer your question.

do you not know how apprenticeships work?

means that the character is in the final learning phases, and does work only under the watchful eye of a master-armorer. until the master-armorer is sure that the apprenticed individual can correctly perform the tasks of the job.
>>
>>55102114
>>55102235
>>55102259
>trying to be cynical just to be an asshole
don't infect this fucking general with your bullshit, go back to /40kg/
>>
Would it be possible for a skilled explorator to rig space marine armour in a way to make it wearable by humans? Without black carapace and MIU, in a way similar to sororitas power armour
>>
>>55102297
What? Don't be assmad, this isn't how it works and that's all. If you're not a chapter serf, there's 0% chance of this happening
>>
>>55102259
Look, Deathwatch stations have Forges. You have at least hundreds of menials working under the supervision of the Techpriests and Techmarines. The character can be either an offspring of the local menials, or a promising young acolyte sent there with the next rotation of the cogboys. He might even become an assistant to one of the artisans. The DW stations are often understaffed with Space Marines, but it is still a huge operation with a significant AdMech presence. I really don't see any problem here.
>>
>>55102324
And that's the plot, the dude WAS a Chapter Serf, for the Deathwatch, and got picked up by an Inquisitor.
>>
>>55102315
With the amount of work needed they'd probably be better off making a new suit entirely, but I'm sure it's technically possible.
>>
>>55102297
>>55102462
pretty sure >>55102324 is either a troll or an idiot.

>>55102462
for the record I was >>55102350
>a promising young acolyte sent there with the next rotation of the cogboys
but the rest is exactly how it works.

the point of >>55100668
is "can I use this part of my back-story, which I wrote BEFORE I knew I needed blueprints, to justify having them" OR "do I have to acquire them in some unknown way because the GM is limiting us to the DH 2e core-book only?"
>>
File: techuse.jpg (87KB, 580x262px) Image search: [Google]
techuse.jpg
87KB, 580x262px
>>55102518

What >>55098214 means is that Tech-Use-based Crafting has some restrictions (Core, p. 97) - namely you can't make stuff if you don't know how it's made (so you don't drive your GM crazy by creating esoteric planetkillers out of dust, scrap metal and duct tapes). But blueprints to an autopistol? Sure, those are ubiquitous, why wouldn't you know how they're made? Being an armourer's apprentice is a perfect backstory.
>>
>>55102114
>>55102235
>>55102259

Y'all are all tards. You are so closeted minded that you wouldnt allow a guy play a chapter serf for fluff and yet you still jack off to the idea of deldar/orcs/tau in RT. Disgusting.
>>
>>55102725
>But blueprints to an autopistol? Sure, those are ubiquitous, why wouldn't you know how they're made?
More than that, pistol crafting is a common final test for trainee techpriests of certain forges.

>The construction of these weapons is, by ancient tradition, one of the tests of craft that each would-be techpriest armourer must undertake under the tutelage of the Myrmidon Warsmiths of the Panopticon Orbital in the Lathe System. Aspirants are given a complex and randomly incomplete pattern for the weapon, and through skill and divination must produce a working gun to their master’s satisfaction. The successful fnished articles are then offered up to the Omnissiah as a sacrifce, and vaporised on the plasma-fire altars of the Machine God. It is quite common for the tech-priests who have studied at the Panopticon to continue to make these pistols in this ritualistic way as a form of mediation and to hone their skills, either using them as personal armaments or giving them as gifts to favoured servants, or more rarely offering them for sale.

Admittedly, those are automata pistols, not autopistols ... but still.
>>
>>55102265
Chapter serfs are bound to the chapter for life. Like a serf
>>
>>55086503
>Eh, not a great idea for DH
I beg to differ.
You do not need a combat specced pc in DH, as bonuses for shooting are plentiful. Fighting smart > big numbers.
>>
>>55103372
This.
It isn't too hard to say that a chapter serf got involved in some shit and the chapter master made a deal with an inquisitor to "loan" him out in exchange for a boon.
>>
>>55103372
Maybe because DH isn't deliberately designed to support heresy like RT is? But go ahead and keep moving those goalposts buddy.
>>
Alright, update from my game going on, because you fuckers don't storytime enough about games that happen, and just talk about the games you wish you were playing like the cucks in /pfg/.
>infiltrated the psyker holding pen seeking an arch heretic that is smuggling psykers out for nefarious purposes
>sent in a lone agent to get information, a followup team consisting of a full bird sororitas in armor and her 2 attendants (both psykers, one a witch) to follow her under the guise of "a hospitaler ministering to the souls of the masses"
>skirting a forest on route to a known encampment, forest disappears every 5 minutes and reappears 5 minutes later
>via warp perception, we see something stalking us from the forest edge, never leaving the tree line
>fearing an attack while we camp for rest, we covertly seek them out
>witch warrior takes to the trees, moving stealthily
>3 pop up first, then another 2
>3 go to the tree that the warrior is on, 2 approach the team outside the forest
>they are large, as large as horses and look as wolves covered in inky shadow
>psyker attempts to link minds to one of them, pronouncing that we mean no harm and ask for safe passage
>they respond via mind link, decrying him as weak, and proceed to attack
>the 3 in the forest begin bounding up the warrior's tree, proclaiming him as strong
>warrior brandishes his sword with a smile
>"Shame, but at least we are on the same page!"
>roll initiative
>>
>>55105884
>because you fuckers don't storytime enough about games that happen
Who wants to storytime a 40k rpg to /tg/'s hopelessly autistic and fluff-sensitive 40k fanbase?
>>
>>55105962
>Waaaa 4chan pointed out my snowflake doesn't fit canon
Grow up faggot.
>>
>>55100426
Thing is they're still highly trained, they just haven't fucked up enough to be summarily executed. They're not Condemned because the only one who treat em like shit are other companies in the regiment. Regimental Command just lumped all their problem children in one company and made them have the shit deployments. To soften up or distract enemy forces while the main force goes and does the main objective.

Again my inspiration for this campaign was Battlefield: Bad Company in tone. These soldier are still drop troops. Theyre just the best of the worst.
>>
>>55105884
>warrior readies the exterminator attached to his sword, sprays fire at the wolves
>wolves fade ephemeral, dodging the flames outright
>wolves confronting the team outside the forest bound towards them, 1 tearing into the psyker's leg, the other's claws being parried by the sister's heavy chainsword, and fading incorporeal to dodge the counter-attack
>In the forest, the wolves begin to meld into the trees, using them to attack the warrior
>RULES OF NATURE begins to play
>warrior begins a running battle, leaping from tree to tree, parrying the blows from the massive branches when his rosarius fails to protect him, striking a telling blow on the wolf that is tracking him despite his ephemeral form with his force sabre, and using Manipulate Flame to set their trees alight
>The psyker successfully brings a wolf to heel using Puppeteer while the sister duels the remaining wolf, eventually bringing it down with a vicious strike of her chainsword on the third pass
>warrior continues striking out against the living trees and the giant wolf that pursues him from tree branch to tree branch, but the wolves and trees are as quick as he, dodging his blows as ably as he dodges theirs, even as they expand their attacks by throwing razor sharp needles from the trees at him
>wolves get smart, and possessing the tree that the warrior is on, splits it in twain
>warrior falls to the ground unhurt, but a rain of massive branches assail him
>he is struck by 2, one of which cracks a rib
>the wolves surround him as the sister begins storming towards his position some 60 meters away now that her battle is over
>the wolves proclaim him strong
>The Only Thing I Know for Real begins to play
>the warrior tells them to take him if they dare
>the wolves strike out at once, the rosarius blocking 2 of their attacks in a blinding flash of energy, and parries the last, catching it in the foreleg with a followup attack
>The sister performs Heroic Intervention
>>
>>55105990
>That assumption
Welcome to /tg/ newfriend. I feel before you continue your posting career on our fine board you should receive fair warning, /tg/ isn't just triggered by snowflakes. /tg/ gets triggers when you mention fluff from 2008 that was retconned in 2015, /tg/ get triggered when you mention fluff in 2017 that contradicts fluff from 2011, and /tg/ might even get trigger by fluff from 2017 that retcons fluff from 2016. So when you storytime campaigns be sure your campaign fits with old, middle, and old fluff at the same time or someone here is liable to throw a thread-derailing fit.
>>
>>55103636
Every hive gang worth their turf will know or own several workshops that make khyber pass quality autoguns.
Low/common quality autoguns/autopistols are ubiquitous in 40k. There are private factories with barely mechanicus presence that make them by the thousands.
>>
>>55106104
>Better call him a newfag and assert that I'm an oldfag!
Again, grow up faggot. No one cares. If it's a good story it's a good story. That's the only reason people tolerate Shoggy's Leddit-tier posting.
>>
>>55106155
Well I am an oldfag, and given that you think storytimes, even good ones, won't derail a 40k thread, I know for a fact you're new. So enjoy your last (you) from me, but I won't play further part in your thread-derailing fit.
>>
>>55105962
Because I play games, and I like to talk about mine, even if the rest of these fucks like >>55105990 feel like being shitters.
>Whipping her heavy chainsword with a might that would make Dorn prond, she sunders one of the shadow wolves, yelling for the warrior to retreat
>"Can't run, killing"
>the warrior lashes out with a rapid stream of psionically charged blows, cutting down both wolves
>psyker outside reminds us we have 2 minutes to escape the forest before it vanishes
>we meep meep the fuck out of the woods
>the psyker sets the cracked rib of the warrior, and they proceed to a hilltop to observe the surroundings, locating the camp some 5 clicks away
>the team proceeds to gully to rest for a few hours
>after making camp and about to bed down, a wolf crest the hilltop, addressing the warrior
>it proclaims the warrior and sister as mighty, and the psyker, though no warrior, worthy still, and grant them safe passage thru their forest
>bows his head and lopes away
>"Well, don't that just beat all"
>"Sister has first watch"
/session
Next, we get back to the adept who is tailing a group that is stealing dataslates from the adminstratum stores, and the lone agent as she reconnoiters with an old friend in the psyker holding pen.
>>
>>55106187
Not him, but you're the only one throwing a fit here that I see. Especially since you think being an oldfag means anything on 4chan.
>>
>>55106060
>Theyre just the best of the worst.
You don't give any part of "the worst" the best gear. "The worst of the best" would have a different connotation.

>They're not Condemned because the only one who treat em like shit are other companies in the regiment.
So most of their IG contact and logistical support. Plus, Condemned doesn't stop at being "treated like shit" - it also mandates dangerous missions, lack of respite, and commissar oversight.

>Regimental Command just lumped all their problem children in one company and made them have the shit deployments.
So the rest of Condemned, as above. At the very least, that's Dishonoured, or an iffy application of Incompetent Leadership.

>Again
Again, you're giving expendable troops grav chutes. You might as well send them to the enemy with gift wrapping and a frilly bow.
>>
>>55106244
As he said

>>55106060

So what stops them from just changing sides or going merc mode with that gear?
>>
>>55106154
Great. Why are you replying to me with that?
>>
>>55106244
>Again, you're giving expendable troops grav chutes.
The munitorum considers all troops expendable, but does put value on mission success. If the regiment needs certain gear to achieve a mission goal, they will get it.
>>55106276
Regiments like that often are lead by the commissariat. How do you think penal legions work? What you said applies to them as well, and they are given 1 gun for every 3 men and no grenades.
>>
>>55106307
>The munitorum considers all troops expendable
And valuable gear is worth more than troops. Yes, we get that.
>>
>>55106325
>does put value on mission success. If the regiment needs certain gear to achieve a mission goal, they will get it.
But apparently not that.
>>
>>55106355
No, that's perfectly clear.

So is the part where higher retrievability of valuable gear (by giving it to capable and worthy soldiers) is worth more than making sure a company of shitters intended to die have a higher chance of success and not dying.
>>
>>55087157
They are refugees for Heretics, Mutants, and Traitors.
>>
Maybe you should explain why they're in the trouble unit. Are they actually criminals or is it just the dumping ground for the rest of the regiment to stick the guys who don't bathe or hog the toilet paper or whatever else That Guy is like on deployment?
>>
>>55106397
Since when are grav chutes valuable gear?
I'd understand if you meant carapace armor, or bolters/plasma/melta, but grav chutes are special purpose gear, not high value, not any more than a valkyrie or an auspex.
>>
>>55083793
>Sanctuary cities

You borrowed that one from irl right?
>>
>>55106416
what you described are just regular opposition controlled cities.
Sanctuary cities IRL are resistant to the slaanesh taint spreading from the commander in chief.
>Screams to the masses:
Dead serious Trump is aligned with slaanesh. He's decadent, he's horny, he's got a short attention span and always zipping around from one meme to the next. If you aren't a perfect minion then you booted, possibly into the warp. I'm pretty sure they based highborn slaanesh cultists on Trump and other 80's businessmen.
Obama, chosen of Tzeentch, was a much better champion of chaos as he didn't make it look like chaos at all.
>>
>>55107300
go back to leftiepol pls
>>
>>55107349
The difference between Trump and Reagan is that Reagan didn't know what he was doing and had people around him who did, Trump spurns them because he legitimately believes only in himself.
Unless you take Trump at face value? He has a long history of taking advantage of the stupid and profiting immensely from it.
>>
File: 1412818263681.jpg (8KB, 222x193px) Image search: [Google]
1412818263681.jpg
8KB, 222x193px
>>55108034
>The man who upended an entire political establishment, destroyed 16 other candidates with vastly more political experience, and built a business empire not through corrupt bargains like Shillary but through actual creation of assets and infrastructure doesn't know what he is doing
>>
Alright, I need help /tg/.
What the fuck does a Stealth Claw look like? is it a hidden blade sort of deal? Just a fancy dagger? A retractable forearm blade? Other?
>>
>>55102725
I was thinking more along the lines of small electronics. like Data-slates, auspexes, and vox-caster, grappnel guns etc.

it may even be useful for mission 1

>>55103636
>More than that, pistol crafting is a common final test for trainee techpriests of certain forges.
source?
>panopticon orbital in the lathe system
oh it's the lathe worlds book from old heresy
I'll have to dig into that some more for fluffy ideas.

>>55105673
oh?
any tech advantages I might be able to craft?
anything that can be gotten from an optical or utility dendrite?

>>55105558
>>55105726
but I'm NOT A SERF.
unless I am misunderstanding the goddamned deathwatch(who IIRC ARE NOT OFFICIALLY A CHAPTER, BUT JUST MARINE TEAMS WORKING FOR THE INQUISITION) or the way that 40k uses the word serf(a low servant class).

>>55105726
I assisted the inquisitor with equipment repairs when he came to the deathwatch station, and got "reassigned"

>>55105872
not heresy dude, not even slightly...you're just really stupid

>>55106277
cause he was appending useful information to your post?
>>
>>55109059
>A retractable forearm blade?
That's Desoleum Power Blade. Just play it as a weird dagger that folds
>>
Hey guys, are power weapons silent? Obviously it's gonna be nearly impossible to get a stealth kill with a chainsword, but what about with a power sword?
>>
>>55110947
IIRC they usually "crackle with energy"
>>
>>55110947
You could just keep it turned off until you actually start using it.
>>
>>55110947
I usually rule that active power weapons make lightsaber-like whumming noises. Power fists and storm hammers are at a lower frequency and make slower, deeper, louder noises. Still much quieter than a chain weapon, but not silent unless you get one specifically designed to be silent or nearly so.
>>
>>55111242
I'm of the same opinion.
>>
>>55111242

Makes sense. Thanks guys.
>>
It's been awhile since I've seen an LFG thread. Are those any good for 40k games?
>>
Going to (eventually) be turning hapless voidsmen and mercs into Skitarii alikes for an RT game. have galvanic rifles or any other skitarii weapons been statted out in any of the books?
>>
Question which have you guys had more fun with Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader?
>>
>>55111467

Mars needs women has you covered friend
>>
>>55109023
Anon, I do think you need to do some research on Trump's business enterprises and how they ended for the people he dealt with.
Start with Atlantic City.
>>55109060
>any tech advantages I might be able to craft?
Talk to the GM about adding traits to weapons.
Taking a blade and making it razor sharp, adding Accurate to a rifle and such are incredibly handy.
>>
>>55109060
The Deathwatch operate as an independent chapter that is allied to the Inquisition, they don't work FOR the Inquisition. You should probably read a Deathwatch sourcebook if you want to have your character affiliated with them, you have some major misunderstandings going on.
>>
>>55112365

Deathwatch sourcebook has them as as individual teams across the galaxy working for the Inquisition. Nucanon deathwatch codex has them as an independent chapter that is allied to the Inquisition. I can see where the discrepancy comes in.
>>
>>55112386
Except The Beast Arises establishes that the Deathwatch was meant to be like the Grey Knights, a chapter deployed on the orders of the Inquisition.
>>
>>55112420

Which was written a few weeks AFTER the Deathwatch codex. Funny how that works out.
>>
>>55112420
The Grey Knights also operate independently.

Any of the Chamber Militant can say no to an Inquisitor's request if they so choose. It's just mutually beneficial for them to work together.
>>
>>55112467
Like so much in the Imperium, it's a game of give and take. A wise Inquisitor doesn't order or demand support from a Chamber Militant, he politely requests it. A wise Chamber Militant commander also doesn't straight up refuse an Inquisitor's commands without damn good reason, but he also makes sure the Inquisitor knows they fucked up. Welcome to the power politics of the Inquisition.
>>
How do I run boarding action if players decide to lead the charge personally? A lot of separate encounters? Anyone has done something similar? Any tricks and tips, suggestions or maps?
>>
>>55112365
>You should probably read a Deathwatch sourcebook
I actually have it in hardback but it's been a while since I've thumbed through it.

>>55112386
>different editions
I have the core RPG manual published 2010

>>55111609
>Talk to the GM about adding traits to weapons.
I'll do that

>>55112577
>>55112467
>>55112437
>>55112420
>>55112386
interesting lore implications...

I'm playing a politically oblivious character so this might play into things well enough.
>>
>>55100583
Sure, but those others classes aren't blanks. Only Omega class is referred to as a blank, which is what we're talking about here. The wiki also does not detail someone being able to train to work their way through the classes.
>>
>>55106479
>Since when are grav chutes valuable gear?
By OW standards, they're only slightly less rare than plasma weapons, on par with carapace armour other than ST carapace.

Have you looked at who uses them?

>Grav-Chutes are most often used by Imperial Guard Storm Troopers carrying out special forces infiltration operations and for the deep strike airborne raids initiated by the Elysian Drop Troop and Harakoni Warhawks regiments.
These aren't your fuck-off-and-die-for-the-Emperor type troops. Grav chutes are given to spuds with a decent chance of bringing them back.
>>
>>55105673
But getting to the magical 90+ every shot is so much harder and rarer without some combat specialisation. It's not a one-or-the-other thing either, we don't suffer in the brains or diplomacy departments just because we combat spec. Like our heretek is smart as fuck, handles all our tech use and crafting shit but then also has specced into dual-wielding pistols so he runs around pumping out like 3+ shots a round all rolling under 90+. This means our party gets to fight cool shit like Eldar and survive.
>>
File: 1360455879707.jpg (55KB, 447x604px) Image search: [Google]
1360455879707.jpg
55KB, 447x604px
>>55105884
Mate I tried to storytime here awhile ago and everyone just ignored it. Seems to be a board-wide thing to just ignore storytimes that for some reason don't catch on as meme-worthy, because recently I also tried to storytime on the Star Wars thread and that mostly got ignored too.
>>
>>55113606

get a blog if you want to write stuff.
>>
>>55113606
You don't storytime for e-fame. You storytime to storytime. Ignore >>55113764
>>
>>55113490

The wiki doesn't, but iirc the original assassins codex does, as well as detailing that there are supposed to be nega-psychic "powers" analogous to psychic powers.

And the dude you replied to said there were "degrees of soullessness" which is technically accurate, he wasn't talking about blanks explicitly.
>>
>>55114938
Yeah sure, but what's the point when no one seems to be reading it?
>>
>>55114985
We've been specifically talking about blanks and how inaccurate they are in the RPGs this whole time though.
>>
>>55115038

The "leveled" system of blank powers seems to accurately model negative psionic ability, though.
>>
>>55115030
You mean when no one is textually patting your back for writing it? People will read it.
>>
>>55115085
Well yes. When I write multiple posts of shit I like some acknowledgement that it's getting read. Is that really so hard to understand?
>>
File: 1231673011753.jpg (169KB, 493x369px) Image search: [Google]
1231673011753.jpg
169KB, 493x369px
>>55115237
This is 4chan, an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>55103372
>>55102297
>>55102191
>>55102248
>>55102291
>>55102518
samefag
>>
>>55115365
>that image
So then going back to, why am I bothering to write multiple full posts?
>>
>>55115237
>Is that really so hard to understand?
No problem understanding. I'm still going to read it and not comment. If you stop posting, someone else will fill in the gap, for better or worse.
>>
>>55115667
>wahh why are there no storytimes?
>I'm not gonna do the thing that encourages people to keep storytiming though!

Okay.
>>
>>55115498
I am indeed the last 4 posts you listed...

as I am a namefag you can see that.

the first 2 aren't me though, they just agreed with me.
>>
>>55115839
Okay ... except I'm not worried about the sky falling on storytimes.
>>
>>55102315

>>55102493 is right.
tl:dr Character would need to be Astartes sized and needs a MIU or specialised Suit interface.

>Real explanation
All lines within the game have emphasised the sheer scale difference between equipment for mere mortals and the armaments of His blessed Angels of Death. This would be even more important for a complex system that has to be individually fitted for its wearer.
The descriptions of HOW the Black Carapace works make clear that it allows neural interfaces to be installed, providing an essential part of the "feedback loop" that permits the user to avoid the usual penalties for wearing power armour. Without a direct linkage between the wearer's neural system and the suit, the penalty applies, and should probably be increased for a suit that is designed to need that enhanced feedback.
>>
>>55116222
You think a Best MIU and a suitably upgraded suit of Power Armor could negate or mitigate some of the penalties associated with wearing Power Armor for non-Astartes?
>>
>>55116255
At that point, you might as well just wear that power armor instead. If you're loyal to the Emperor and somehow got a suit of, presumable, loyal astartes power armor, you give that shit back and have them indebted.
>>
>>55116219
Well the original poster was, hence this whole conversation chain. Don't jump into conversations if you're not arguing in the same vein.
>>
>>55116280
Different guy. I'd never use Astarte's gear. I'm no heretic.
>>
>>55102315

You know there's heavy power armor for regular humans, right?
>>
File: Liber Daemonica.png (166KB, 248x382px) Image search: [Google]
Liber Daemonica.png
166KB, 248x382px
Hey, my DH players got their hands on some scrolls with some Nurgle-lite lore on it. They want to copy the contents onto something a little safer for transport and such. What are some good methods for safely copying down Chaos-related information without the parchment/dataslate becoming corrupted and such? I know using SoB blood as ink can work, but that can't be the only way.
>>
>>55116488
A fuckton of fire and melta
>>
>>55116488
Oh, the parchment or dataslate will absolutely get corrupted, but you can contain it by warding symbols or other holy things. Bind it in sanctified chains, put it in a chest with warding runes on it, put a relic of a saint on top, something like that. IIRC there's some info on wards in Daemon Hunter or The Inquisitor's Handbook.

If you absolutely must have an uncorrupted vessel, try anything holy. SoB blood would work just as well as ink made from the dust of ground-up relics on votive prayer-parchments stored in a cathedral for a thousand years.

That said, I wouldn't underplay the corrupting nature of Chaos - if the players want to take the safe route, maybe something becomes unreadable on the dataslate. The essence of corruption is more than some ink on paper after all, it might resist being captured with sanctified tools. The other possibility is that the corruption is too strong, and while the holy tools hold it back at the beginning, it starts to seep through later.
>>
>>55084763
>>55084501
>>55084490
>>55084410

2E rules for Untouchables are indeed completely fucking retarded and go against all the fluff. I've tried time and time again to make a viable ones and it's almost impossible. The real issue is the XP sink, because of how the aptitude and tier system work, most Untouchable builds are stuck paying for nothing but Tier 2 and 3 traits when they only have a single aptitude towards them. Many of the actually useful traits require ridiculously high WP scores that are only possible if you roll max at char gen and sink huge amount of XP in WP advancement. The thing about WP is that it's aptitudes are WP and Psyker, so an Untouchable is only ever able to get 1 (or 0) aptitudes towards advancement, making it very expensive. To get anywhere near what a "Canon" Blank should be able to do, you need to sink anywhere from 5 to 7 thousand XP into a build at the very least. And that's if you spend every single point of XP into advancing your powers and completely ignoring Skills and Talents, which makes your character only really viable in VERY niche games where you are constantly being attacked by psykers and/or deamons at every turn, and even then you are never more then a walking debuf who is generally just as killable as any other character if not more so. The most viable Untouchable build is for anti-Deamon work, since there are a few traits you can get that can remove most of the powers that make deamons so dangerous.
>>
>>55116753
>Blanks are only worth it if you constantly fight psychics and dæmons, and aren't more durable than regular characters

Really activates the almonds.
>>
>>55116753
Upgrading WP without the Psyker aptitude sets you back about 1200 XP or so, that's true, but IIRC non-psyker WP-strengthening talents usually require the Defence aptitude, so it's not that bad crunch-wise.
>>
>>55116868
It is a bit of a pain, especially when you consider that combat wise, Untouchables are only really viable as melee fighters since they need to get close for most of their abilities to work. In 1E, they are a lot more "durable" in that they are completely immune to psychic and warp attacks, which means that psykers are forced to use their generally shitty WS/BS skill to fight them, and that big bad deamon weapon counts as nothing but a regular mundane sword against them.

I'm currently playing an Untouchable Assassin in a 1E game right now. Pointbuy was a godsend. 1000XP in and I have a WS, WP, and AG of 50 and a BS and STR of 40. The plan is to abuse the everloving fuck out of Doge and Acrobatics to close in and slice up any target that I think is worth my time. Weapon of choice is a Good-quality mono Long-saber. if I could have, I'd have loved to go full Moriate as well, but was capped at 400XP for backgrounds.
>>
>>55115498
I am the first one, you paranoic cuck. Get the fuck out, you embarassement.
>>
Get the politics out of /40krpg/ you fukken burgers
>>
So the lore says progenoids can be cultivated into any space marine organs and this is the only way the can be produced.

Each marine has two progenoids. There are 20+ organs which need to be implanted. How does that work? It doesn't make sense to me unless I'm missing something.
>>
>>55117901
Progenoids themselves are organs and are the second to last organs implanted, the final one being the black carapace. You probably misread a sentence or something.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Progenoid
>>
File: tumblr_njcgpiYkbV1u8qmb5o1_1280.png (810KB, 610x624px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njcgpiYkbV1u8qmb5o1_1280.png
810KB, 610x624px
Possibly a really boring question gents but how do you get really heavy things into space in rogue trader?

The heaviest lifter I can find in the splats, the HALO lifter can only take 40 tons (a chimera weighs 38 for reference), so how do you move something really heavy like a leman russ or a freeblade knight who you might have befriended as part of a campaign plot point? *ahem*

Also if you couldn point me to a relevent splat book that'd be awesome.

>pic unrelated (or is it?[it isn't])
>>
What would your dream 40k RPG system look like?
>>
>>55118932
Unified, without any inconsistencies and horrible abominations like marine and non-marine bolters.
>>
>>55118940
Don't marine and non marine bolters make a lot of sense though? Marine guns are fucking big.
>>
>>55118932
Edge of the Empire but it's Warhammer 40k instead of Star Wars. That's it.
>>
So any interesting ideas for Xeno Hybris rogue/radical inquisitor that my players are facing against?
>>
File: 6e2a78be43c31e4a6bdb1c9d477c9193.jpg (180KB, 736x1015px) Image search: [Google]
6e2a78be43c31e4a6bdb1c9d477c9193.jpg
180KB, 736x1015px
>>55118856
>Possibly a really boring question gents but how do you get really heavy things into space in rogue trader?
The RPG books and various other 40k fluff material makes constant references to gigantic transport of various sizes used (generally called "transportation barques") to bring huge things to and from orbit. None of it is statted in the RPG's, so you'll have to make that up yourself. Space elevators are also a thing on advanced planets and possibly more esoteric methods.

>or a freeblade knight who you might have befriended as part of a
They have their own specialized transport vessels whose exact name I forget (Orbital Conveyer or X Barque or something). Personally, I'd rip off one of the Battletech 'Mech dropships for Battlemechs (the Cheeta or whatever its called they use in MWO) but gothic'd up.

Pic related. See the ship in the background.
>>
>>55119646
Cool thank you, it's funny how often you see some of those images and never quite clock what's in the back ground.

>none of it is statted
Guess what's why I couldn't find anything. I think I'll go build a ship.

Thanks for the response I thought I'd missed something obvious
>>
File: Cadian_Shock_Trooper.jpg (20KB, 250x439px) Image search: [Google]
Cadian_Shock_Trooper.jpg
20KB, 250x439px
So, I have the two players as commanders of a IG force on ork-infested planet. They start separately, both playing as one general (and second one as his aide the camp).

Planet is made of molten metal, which set few month ago, as planet moved further from it's sun on the orbit. They have like 8 months before planet moves again into close orbit and everyting outside super-durble sealed complexes is doomed.

They will have to work against competing interests (for example- should they save Ecclesia's hiper-important monasteries or Ad-Mech hiper-important keep? What about a fleet base? Looking for PDF remnants? Food vats or additional landing pads?) and win a war of conquest againt the green, capturing as much indriustrial complexes as they can. If they see through the intrigue of the RT that assasinated their HC and steers them into oblivion to capture a Chaos Relic, bonus points.

What are interesting things to throw at them?
>>
>>55122202
Classy meme of /40krpg/: necrons
>>
File: checkem.jpg (561KB, 1200x1491px) Image search: [Google]
checkem.jpg
561KB, 1200x1491px
>>55122244
>>
>>55112365
Except the deathwatch draw recruits from other chapters, so no chapter serfs per se.
Servants will originate from other chapters or the ][.
>>
>>55122273
-Dark Eldar raiders
-Necron infestation
-Genestealers in their hives
-Mutiny
-Conflict between regiments
-Pesky Necromundians stealing everything what's not bolted to the hive.

That's what I had so far.
>>
>>55122391
Servants belong to Deathwatch, and there is not many of them because most watches are automated.
>>
My favourite Murphy's Rule from DH:

THE MORALE-SUSTAINING SLAPFIGHT

Every automatic weapon can be used to suppress opponents. But being in a melee means you're not suppressible. This means to the slavish executioner of the rules, there is the situation of two Space Marines being suppressed by an autopistol (that can't possibly harm them), and moving towards the enemy while slapping each other (which, seeing as it's a primitive weapon, also has no chance of harm).
>>
>>55122495
They have a talent by default that makes unarmed not primitive weapons.
>>
>>55122596
Well dang - then take two Stormtroopers in carapace.

My knowledge is really mostly DH and not so much the others. But I suspect that Slapfight remains a theoretical possibility in the other settings. The Space Marines could always use distinctly primitive weapons to make sure.
>>
>>55122391
DW splatbooks explain at length how dynasties of serfs serve on Watch Stations. Steve Parker's Deathwatch novel also shows them in the background.
>>
>>55122904
desu I like the idea of the DW Marines not being all amongst themselves on some Fortress of Solitude shit more, so that's what I'd go with. and it's 40k, if you want something you can find Lore that has it exist, and if you hate it you can find Lore that it doesn't exist, because the Lore is inconsistent as h*ck.
>>
>>55122904
Those servants didn't appear out of thin air. Chapters serfs come from rejected astartes candidates, that the Deathwatch doesn't have.
So either their ancestors were send by the provider chapters, or by the Inquisition.
>>
>>55117930
I think it's a numbers issue. I've had similar thoughts. You got 1000 Marines, 2 Progenoids each, that's 2000 organs. It takes 19 organs to make a single Marine, assuming the guy doesn't die during surgery. That's 105 Marines you can make assuming all your Marines give up their Progenoids.

How the fuck do they get more troops?
>>
>>55123241
Marines dont die like flies. Also frozen progenoids and test subjects to get progenoids from.
>>
>>55123241
The Progenoids don't turn into Space Marine organs 1-to-1, retard. They generate Geneseed, which is then used to grow more Space Marine organs.
>>
>>55123322
And you can harvest the geneseed from time to time without the marine actually dying.
>>
>>55123425
Yes, that. Think of them as the Space Marine's testicles. They're reproductive organs in a sense.
>>
>>55106416
>>55107300
Okay but seriously wtf are Sanctuary Cities?
>>
>>55119544
...a what now?
>>
>>55123502
He just made that up.
>>
>>55123590
Look that up on lexicanum
>>
>>55123470
Now I just pictured an Apothecary wanking a dead marine to harvest his geneseed.

>>55123590
I think he meant xeno hybrid. The only way to do that in the books is using grafts or a halo device, as far as I remember.
>>
>>55123644
You're wrong tho.

>Xenos Hybris is a radical conspiracy of Inquisitors within the Calixian Conclave that believes that mankind must learn from the achievements and mistakes of alien races, and that only by cooperation and mutual understanding can both man and alien survive the galaxy’s myriad threats. Xenos Hybris is confned to the Calixis Sector and the Inquisitors who operate within it, but it is representative of a profusion of minor factions and concerns that are focused on the lure of greater wisdom and potential offered by the alien. It is also a typical of a lesser Radicalism born of the revelatory belief of a few; Xenos Hybris exists as a consequence of the danger of mankind’s ignorance and intolerance of the alien that those within the faction believe that only they can see clearly.
>>
>>55117930
>>55123241
>>55123322
Okay, so as I understand it:
After all the organs have been implanted in the marine, they implant the Progenoid, which over the course of 5-10 years absorbs and duplicates the DNA (geneseed) of each organ.
Then the Progenoids are removed (first after 5 years, second after death), the geneseed is extracted and used to grow 19 new organs, to be implanted in the next marine, rinse and repeat.

Is there a reason why the progenoids can't just get hooked up to a set of organs and do their thing outside of a human body besides grimdark?
>>
>>55123701
Probably one that works with either Eldar or Tau.
Although an Ork or Tyranid sympathizer would be hilarious.
>>
>>55123790
Yes, wouldn't be a problem, they're just limited to a certain Chapter size. Here's how Chaptty is formed:

>When creating a chapter, the zygote is implanted in a human test-slave who spends his entire life in a static experimental capsule, immobile and serving as nothing but a medium which from two progenoids will develop. When the progenoids are developed, they are extracted from original test-slave and then implanted into another two test-slaves, producing four progenoids, and so on. It takes 55 years of reproduction to create a healthy set of 1,000 organs.
>>
>>55094941
What a huge faggot
>>
> playing in enjoyable RT game for several months
> GM is using one of the premade adventure books and it's generally quite fun
> he starts deviating from the premade and things start going crazy
> first space combat today and he panicked when he realized he diddnt know how to run it.
> made a flimsy excuse about his computer and ended the session a few hours early

Well, I hope next session goes better
>>
>>55095206
>But it's the fault of fighting radiation, not because they're irradiated themselves.

If you're physically manifesting taint, you're already corrupted.
>>
Newfag here. Do Dark Eldar have any psykers, and if not, what are the in-universe reasons for this?
>>
>>55124274
They're suppressing their psychic abilities so She Who Thirsts doesn't find them as easily.
>>
File: 200px-Dh2ndcover.png (97KB, 200x259px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Dh2ndcover.png
97KB, 200x259px
>>55118932
Like this, but with expanded rules for playing as Rogue Traders, Xenos, Chaos, etc.
or
Wrath & Glory, but with DH2e's ruleset I hate dice pools
>>
>>55124297
How do they do this? Is it with drugs or something? And if it's a matter of choice, could a Dark Eldar become a full-fledged psyker assuming they chose to stop suppressing their abilities?
>>
>>55124374
Probably, but within a few seconds of popping heads they get sucked into the warp by their genitals
>>
>>55124374
Also, psykers are frowned upon in Commoragh, due to the whole "attracting daemons to an already unstable pocket of warp space" deal.
>>
>>55124529
Shit m8, you've found the one degeneracy that is frowned upon in Commoragh.
>>
>>55113561
Anon, having a chance of failure != being useless, and if you are attempting to take on eldar and orks via brute force and you are not a combat focused pc, you have fucked up hard.
The solution is to hire mercs when you know battle is on route, or a reinforcement pc.
>>55115667
People rarely storytime at all in these threads. Like I said, people are more ready to whiteroom theory and mathhammer like it's fucking /pfg/, and it's fucking sad.
People here play games, lets talk about the crazy shit that happens.
>>
>>55116753
Untouchables were pulled down the same way psykers were.
I don't really mind it, untouchables also don't have the same drawbacks.
>>
>>55124274
They are a nonpsyker race as a whole, but a few are born with the standard eldar kit, mostly among trueborn who are quickly murdered.
>>
>>55116488
Camera
>>
>>55125017
You forgot about handholdingbetween family or comrades in arms with no erotic undertones
>>
>>55125866
>a few are born with the standard eldar kit, mostly among trueborn who are quickly murdered.
Sauce? Not disagreeing, just curious where you got that.
>>
>>55126350
Jesus, some BL book from years ago, I can't even tell you the title at this point.
I read it when I was young, and it was a throwaway line where a haemonculus was discussing deldar children with an archon.
>>
Has anyone ever made their own xeno species to spice things up from the typical eldar/orks/nids?
>>
I want to play Feudal World/Fanatic-Crusader/ smiting and purging dude in plate armour. What background to choose?
>>
>>55127609
Exorcised or Administorum.
>>55127120
Of course. Back in the day, we used to stat out creatures to use, like xenomorphs and yautja.
>>
>>55127752
>Administratorum
why
>>
>>55127849
I think he mean ministorum, not a preacher of paperwork.
>>
>>55127874
Right. Any tips?
>>
>>55128023
Just because you'll focus for melee doesn't mean you can't still shoot with a gun. A forearm weapons mount or two with something like a hotshot laspistol or the like can help if you plan to wield two-handed weapons.
>>
>>55128060
Yeah, thanks.

Also does someone have maybe .jpg of different worlds for background bonuses? Like a full list or smth
>>
Anyone got a pic of that fan-made lewd Slaanesh mishap chart? I need it for reasons.
>>
File: 1484586650298.jpg (50KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1484586650298.jpg
50KB, 557x605px
Are there any blank or fillable stat blocks for enemies for DH2e ? I've looked around abit and haven't been able to find any.
>>
>>55128765
Anon, it takes literally 5 minutes to set up a blank stat block for any of the 40krpgs in Word.
>>
>>55128822
I just want them to look pretty.
>>
>>55125817
The thing about story times is most people here are awful at it.

It's usually 4000-6000 characters of a overly detailed replay of the adventure. I know that not everyone is a writefag, but most of those are just a pain to read.
>>
How do I improve my chances of joining a 40kRPG group?
>>
>>55130291
1. Don't join any group from Gamefinder (or here) that doesn't have some sort of application process. Otherwise you'll end up with flaky players and/or a flaky GM
2. Don't try and be a special snowflake like a certain faggot earlier ITT
3. Actually read the fucking rulebooks and have multiple characters planned to suit any group
4. Don't write 8 pages about your snowflake. No one cares in the 41st millennium
>>
>>55130291
Make sacrifices to the dark gods.
>>
Why are 40kRPGs D100 systems when modifiers always come in multiples of 10?

It wouldn't really lose any significant amount of detail if you made it a d10 system.
>>
>>55130349
>Don't write 8 pages about your snowflake. No one cares in the 41st millennium
I'd much rather someone who goes all in on character background over someone who creates their character as a disposable pawn with no meat to their backstory.
>>
>>55131057
Except every system is designed to be lethal. The moment you start feeling bad for killing/corrupting/etc a character someone wrote a bunch of fluff for is the moment you should stop GMing 40krpgs. Acolytes in DH are supposed to be relative nobodies. Same goes for Only War. RT and BC might have the most fluff potential, but there's so much that can go wrong in one round of combat. DW is shit so I won't even speak to that.
>>
>>55131109
DH is a game where you typically have 2-4 chances to cheat death unconditionally per character, and that's assuming you don't earn more in play.

It's not THAT lethal.
>>
>>55131184
Burning a fate point isn't going to stop that Bloodletter from taking your skull. Nor will it magically provide an atmosphere if you get shoved out an airlock or protect your brain from getting commissar'd by someone of higher rank. It also doesn't stop you from taking all the critical effects that would have caused your death anyways. So yeah, I'd say it's pretty fucking lethal.
>>
>>55131238
Actually that's explicitly what it does? Burning a fate point allows you to avoid a death, no matter the circumstances (the only situation this isn't allowed is with certain Perils results in certain versions of the RPG).

If your GM is coming up with narrative justification to negate your Fate burning, he's a shit GM and ignoring the rules entirely.
>>
So I've run Rogue Trader multiple times for my group, and they always love it... except for the ship combat. Building the ships, exploring in the ships, daily ship life? They love that stuff. But as soon as we roll initiative for them, everything slows to a crawl and I usually lose half of them to boredom. Any tips for making space combat more enjoyable? It usually boils down to the helm and whoever's manning the guns having a good time/stuff to do and everyone else just spending their rounds making their skill roll to boost either the helm or the guns. How do I punch it up to make things better?
>>
>>55131043
Because stats aren't in perfect 10s and some modifiers are 1d5+/-X.
>>
>>55131311
So you think that burning a fate should allow a character to live exterminatus? Do you realize how fucking retarded that sounds?
>>
I've been thinking of want character I want to make for an upcoming Black Crusade campaign. Is a Heretek of Tzeentch who focuses on researching and creating Magitech a cliche?
>>
>>55131238
>Mechanic literally there to survive things that would kill you
>Doesn't work on things that would kill you

Nigga.

You can call it stupid, but by RAW that's literally what it does. It doesn't stop the Bloodletter from tearing you open next turn, and you're probably gonna have to burn another fate point to keep alive in the vacuum and unless you can bullshit it as the Emperor's protection, the Comissar's probably gonna take a second shot

But it's bullshit to say it just doesn't work, because that's literally what the whole mechanic does.
>>
>>55131398
Sure, unless the GM deems it appropriate to just block burning of Fate Points entirely (which is sometimes appropriate depending on the direction the campaign's story is going).

Burning a fate doesn't have to mean you're insanely durable; that's the most boring option. Maybe the player escapes Exterminatus by finding an escape vessel just in the nick of time, tearing out of the atmosphere just before the planet's surface is blasted to the point of being inhospitable. But, the blastwave from the orbital bombardment knocks the PC's vessel off course, and at the start of the next session they awake crash-landed on an unidentified planet.

Fate Point burning shouldn't be "you tank the hit", that's fucking boring. A good GM should use them as a narrative springboard to make things worse for the player despite their survival, but worse in an interesting, plot advancing way.
>>
>>55131534
Your post is exactly what I meant by mine.
>>
>>55131374
Stats are in perfect 10s or 5s if you use point buy, because there's no mechanical incentive to use numbers that aren't. So I guess do d20 instead, if you want that granularity.

Single digit modifiers are so rare you have to hunt for them, especially in the more recent published stuff.
>>
Isn't Fate Burning designed to make you survive the entire encounter? That's why there's a special OPTIONAL way to burn it which lets you get back up during the encounter and recover a handful of wounds, letting you contribute but risking a second death.
>>
>>55131559
Yes.

>Generally, the Acolyte should be left incapacitated and out of the fight, precluding him from taking any further part in the fight, but also ensuring that his enemies overlook him, perhaps believing him to be dead. In cases where Critical damage was the cause, the Acolyte should likely suffer all of the effects from that result except for the actual inflicting of death

>It is up to the GM and the player to work out exactly how the character survives the incident. In the case of an injury sustained in combat, perhaps a holy icon worn on the Acolyte’s breast deflects a blow, or a bullet passes cleanly through his chest, miraculously missing organs. Other situations, such as a Warp drive implosion, or being on the surface of a world during Exterminatus, require a greater degree of creativity to explain, and should seldom be without some consequence.

If your GM kills you the round after you burnt Fate, he's a punitive asshole, not a good GM.
>>
>>55130349
>2. Don't try and be a special snowflake like a certain faggot earlier ITT
Isn't that the whole point of Rogue Trader and Black Crusade though?
>>
>>55131398
Yeah. Sucks that you picked this RPG, huh? Door's over there, don't let it hit you on the way out.
>>
>>55131596
>Waaah the game's actually grimdark for a change
That's what you sound like.
>>
>>55131728
You can make a game grimdark and still let players have a fighting chance to contribute.

And the books directly contradict the shit you're saying. You're basically arguing for a bad houserule at this point.
>>
>>55131747
They did get a fighting chance to contribute. They died in battle. Nice goalposts though. And you act like half the shit in the books doesn't need houserules to begin with. I bet you're the type of person who lets his players waste all their fate/infamy points on rerolling for acquisitions.
>>
>>55131823
Sure, tons of stuff in the book needs houserules. The Requisition system basically needs to be gutted and redesigned wholesale, same with a lot of things.

I wouldn't say that applies to how Fate Burning works, it's a functional system that has stayed the same since 1e.
>>
>>55131823
>Nice goalposts
>Moves the goalposts in literally the exact same post

Burn a fatepoint IRL, senpai.
>>
>>55131728

That's not really grimdark. That's just the GM being a dick, there is a difference.
>>
>>55125817
>having a chance of failure != being useless
I never said this, but due to the system's dodge mechanics if you want to be combat-effective you kinda need to make sure you'll hit every time, so that the only variable is whether they dodge it or not. Otherwise, combat is too lethal to be gambling on hit chance when you're facing down an Eldar strike team or something more elite.

>The solution is to hire mercs or a reinforcement pc
If that's how you want to play it sure. I personally find that boring and would rather be right in there fighting the battles with my own PC.
>>
>>55131398
https://youtu.be/G1WomfhjyVM
>>
>>55131527
Yes and no. It sorta is but it fits well.
>>
>>55131548

Almost all the divinations give stat modifiers that are less then 5.
>>
>>55133328
That's a pretty vestigial and insignificant mechanic though.

I'm not arguing that the d100 granularity is literally pointless, more that it doesn't get used nearly enough to justify keeping it around. You very rarely run into modifiers that aren't multiples of 10, and most of the others are +/-5. Anything below 5 is a total rarity, especially in the more recent systems.

Making the system a d20 system would change pretty much nothing significant. Making it d10 would just require rethinking how advancements work.
>>
>>55133519
You can also take damage to characteristics, temporary or permanent.
>>
Why does the homeworld of Maccabeus Quintus have to suck so profoundly much in DH1e.

I jist wanted to play a badass Maccabian Janissary
>>
>>55134080
That's the curse of munchkinism.
>>
>>55134080
I don't remember homeworlds making that much difference in dh1.
>>
>>55134631
It's not to huge but the trade off is hilariously bad. You lose your +3 to willpower, to take a -3 to your toughness as well as -5 to on all sight based perception rolls and in return you get Resistance: cold
>>
>>55134855
>playing dh1e
Found the fault
>>
>>55134904
Nothing wrong with liking 1e.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.