[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 384
Thread images: 39

File: Winged Hydra.jpg (420KB, 1024x1485px) Image search: [Google]
Winged Hydra.jpg
420KB, 1024x1485px
D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>55052820
>>
First for Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party
>>
>>55060877

I'm planning a group that will play for approximately 3 hours once every other week. For that reason, use of time and pace of play is a priority.

I have a prospective player interested in playing a Circle of the Shepherd Druid. Would I be right to fear that the class's emphasis on talking to beasts and summoning creatures would take up too much time and spotlight, and denying the request?

The player is reasonable and is open to other options so it's not like I'd be throwing them out.
>>
File: vigilante.pdf (365KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
vigilante.pdf
365KB, 1x1px
reposting from last thread
>>
File: 1362275610202.jpg (380KB, 700x1577px) Image search: [Google]
1362275610202.jpg
380KB, 700x1577px
>>55060945
Reposting for more visibility.

I'm working on a homebrew Warlock patron based off a symbiotic relationship with a parasitic creature that manifests itself as armor. Here is my (very) rough draft:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VeyWaxSsO0CTS2fwIdGMv0ZSNWZdoJeIMheS4tGbw18/edit?usp=sharing

The theme is combat with an emphasis on protection and exploitation of vulnerabilities. High risk high reward, somewhat.

Let me know what you think, and what I should change.
>>
Would you let mart sue Drizzt fuck your waifu /5eg/
>>
File: YVKEvQI.png (62KB, 988x704px) Image search: [Google]
YVKEvQI.png
62KB, 988x704px
Fuck, my players in the upcoming session are heading towards an extremely dense forest on the map that I didn't quite flesh out yet.

What forest encounters have you guys had or ran recently that were fun? Might try to Frankenstein some run-ins today.
>>
>>55061000
Displacer Beasts are always interesting
You could also go with the classic giant spiders too
>>
>>55061000
Flaming treants who are setting rhe entire forest on fire
>>
>>55061000
>Might try to Frankenstein some run-ins today.

Have them encounter a runaway Flesh Golem. Remember the scene in Frankenstein where the monster saves a woman from drowning and gets shot fir his trouble? That's the scene your players walk into.
>>
>>55061000
Literally this as an encounter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xII8R4m4FKU
>>
>>55060997
Oh yeah. Fighter would still be fine, don't know if a wizard would get -1, 0 or 1 per level
>>
>>55060973
Second for Kobold Dragon-Humping Party
>>
>>55061000
Giant badgers
Wood woads
Giant owls
Treants
Boars
Brown bears
Owlbears
Ettercaps
Giant spiders
Moss-covered plinths
Entrails hanging from high tree branches
Colorful mushrooms
Portals to the Feywild
Nudist elves
Overgrown burial mounds
>>
>>55061109
>nudist elves
This one please
>>
>>55060940
Pls respond
>>
So yeah, can you guys see any "minimum health gain on level" rule? Does a wizard with 1 CON die after a few level-ups?
>>
>>55061279
You can never gain negative HP on a level up.
>>
>>55061279
Yes, anything with 1 con would have their life threated by a soft breeze and are not fut for adventuring
>>
>>55061294

Unless they're a moon druid.
>>
>>55061314
Moon druid still doesn't get wildshape until level 2, they could trip over a pebble and fucking die
>>
File: wewtrump.png (271KB, 726x587px) Image search: [Google]
wewtrump.png
271KB, 726x587px
>>55061314
That reminds me of our Moon Drood. We're level 13 and he has like 51 HP total.

Dude got knocked out of shape and almost ran train upon by a bullette.

we're about to fight like several driders and a bunch of drow soon so god speed to him
>>
Thinking of making a Conjurer or an Illusionist for my upcoming character, does 5E do these schools very well?
>>
>>55061337

Who starts at anything other than level 3?
>>
>>55061365

Conjurer is meh, Illusionist is like second or third best school, due to its level 14 ability.
>>
>>55061401
People who wan't to start from scratch
>>
>>55061365
The illusionist's final bonus at level 14 gives you cartoon magic. So if you are planning on reaching those levels the they're really fun. Sadly there isn't much support for conjurers.
>>
>>55061419
>wan't
>>
>>55060987
Reading through it and here's my thoughts:
>Flavor
I think the flavor is great. I love it honestly. I also like the idea of how the pact boons tie into it. Perhaps your pact weapon is simply a part of your parasite. Or your familiar actually being the parasite itself, just part of it detached. It's pretty cool and I like that.

Now onto the mechanics.
>Level 1 Feature: Living Armor
You either get monk AC, the best medium armor in the game, or the best heavy armor in the game. The monk AC is fine and pretty balanced, but the medium and heavy armor ones are way too fucking strong. 18/19 AC at level one is busted and that all stacks with other AC bonuses. Just dip into figher and suddenly you get 22 AC at level 2. I think a better option is to just reduce it down to a single AC option. Having Dex+Cha AC makes obvious sense but if you want something a bit more interesting, you could do 13+CHA or 14+CHA so that it's based only on one stat and still good for those who want to dump DEX while not harming those who buff their DEX.

The color mechanic giving you resistance/vulnerability seems okay, though keep in mind giving a player vulnerability makes them die REALLY REALLY fast to that damage type. I'd honestly just remove that feature all together or just give them the resistance with no other penalty.

>The whole granular "reduce your AC by 1" mechanic
Scrap it entirely. Granular mechanics like this don't work very well in 5e, especially if they keep stacking like yours does. Just remove it and rework it entirely.

>Level 6 feature
Reaction immunity is too strong for a level 6 feature.

>Level 10 feature
The granular mechanic ruins an otherwise perfectly okay idea.

>Level 14 feature
I love this but it has no reason to have the granular reduce AC mechanic. Just make it a long rest thing and it should be fine.

Overall just ditch the AC reduction mechanic. The rest of the features seem alright but you could really simplify this archetype down.
>>
>>55061279
The rulebook probably doesn't take that as a possibility since point-buy starts at 8 all stats, and rolling as the rulebook says will give you at least 3 CON, which with taking your average HP increase (4) will always leave you with no HP change per level
>>
>>55061418
>>55061424
That's a shame, I was hoping to lean toward Conjurer but if it's not that good I might do Illusionist.
How's Necromancy?
>>
>>55061426

Wan't'st've'll
>>
>>55061458

A pain in the arse for DM's and rather bland.
>>
>>55061458
Nothing in 5e is really bad, its just "worse than X"
>>
>>55061499

Artificer and PHB Beast Master are bad.
>>
File: 1430752116420.jpg (252KB, 1052x768px) Image search: [Google]
1430752116420.jpg
252KB, 1052x768px
>>55061487
Unfortunate, I was planning on playing a character based off of this image just... less evil, and thought the concept of a painter who used his paintings as a magic focus would be cool. Like Ariamis from Dark Souls, or Rythe from Oblivion.
>>55061499
I wasn't particularly asking for how good anything was, more just if it plays well and is fun.
>>
>>55061524
Artifacer is still a UA
Beastmaster and Wot4e are tied for worst, but are still playable
>>
>>55061000
Falling rocks of Teepeekay, that will show them to reach that far in the game.
>>
File: 1496358111146.jpg (36KB, 525x255px) Image search: [Google]
1496358111146.jpg
36KB, 525x255px
>>55061000
Roll a d8
1. The players find a newly-erected shrine to some sort of bird god. Cultists are sacrificing chickens on it, hoping to bring the apocalypse on feathered wings.
2. The player with the lowest WIS starts to see the glowing face of an elven maid in the woods, bobbing up and down around head height. No other players can see it.
3. The party encounters 2d4 Myconids on a hunting expedition. They offer to sell you a potion in exchange for food. The potion is a soupy, light purple liquid sealed in a thick glass bottle. Stat as potion of animal friendship.
4. The players find a moss-covered sword lodged in a boulder. On a DC18 strength check, it can be ripped free. It promptly starts attacking the players, being an Animated Sword.
5. The party hears the sounds of drunken revelry coming from off the road.. Some goblins are partying with a confused dryad. If the goblins see the players, they toss them a bottle of goblin ale. It tastes awful, gets you roaring drunk, and turns your skin light green for 1d4 hours.
6. A werewolf bounds out of the forest, in a blind panic. He seems to be getting chased by something, and the players soon hear the cracking of undergrowth...
7. A burlap sack lands in the midst of the party. In 1 turn, it explodes in brilliant light, leaving every who was looking at it blind for a round. A level-appropriate amount of drow then ambush the party.
8. The players cross the ford of a small river. A Water Weird starts circling around them, but doesn't attack immediately. If the players say anything in Elven, Dwarven, Common, or Goblinoid, it attacks.
>>
>>55061458
>>55061365
Illusion spells has the stigma of DM's fucking them over and making them useless
Conjuration and necromancy have the stigma of summoning a bunch of shit and people taking ages to take a turn
Either can be fine, it just depends on the game and player
>>
>>55061540
Everything is "playable", even in 3.5 PHB monk was playable
>>
>>55061436
Hmm, I honestly thought that without the AC reduction thing it would be too overpowered. So just drop that fully? Maybe I'll make it so that you can use the resistance / vulnerability transfer a number of times equal to your Cha mod. 5 per short rest is rather nice at 20 Cha I think, still need to manage but you can also be very helpful.

What should I change the immunity to at level 6? Maybe something like the shield spell? But should it be more AC or less AC than shield?

Also, for the medium and heavy, I was meaning for it to never stack with anything but magical effects. I do like your idea more, dropping Dex and making it Cha armor. I did the light, medium, or heavy choice so that you could dump Dex and make a Str based Warlock. If I get rid of the AC reducing mechanic, then I think 13 + Cha would be best. 18 AC at 20 Cha is very good. Should I allow shields if I do this?

Also with the pacts, that's exactly what I wanted it to be like. You form the symbiote into a weapon for Pact of the Blade and break a part off as a familiar if you have Pact of the Chain. Pact of the Tome would be transferring some of the symbiote to a spellbook or something to make. I'm glad to hear that you like it.
>>
Is 5e's combat considered too samey? Especially if no interesting terrain features are used?
And does the system lack a certain mechanical complexity?
>>
>>55061556
>4. The players find a moss-covered sword lodged in a boulder. On a DC18 strength check, it can be ripped free. It promptly starts attacking the players, being an Animated Sword.
This one is is my favorite.
>5. The party hears the sounds of drunken revelry coming from off the road.. Some goblins are partying with a confused dryad. If the goblins see the players, they toss them a bottle of goblin ale. It tastes awful, gets you roaring drunk, and turns your skin light green for 1d4 hours.
If this is referencing what I think it is, you nasty
>>
>>55061649
yes
>>
>>55061746
What's the reference?
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-survey

Reminder to fill out the new general survey.
>>
Why isn't the OP a negro?
>>
>>55061768
CoC features goblin ale as a pretty common item that, among other effects, can turn your skin green
>>
>>55061759
>>55061649
What are people's thoughts?
>>
>>55061823
Because niggerposter quit months ago
>>
Reminder that the revised warlock UA is way better than the previous one
>>
Are there any good resources for more humaniod 'monsters'/NPCs?
The monster manual and volos guide give you some but I really would like more. Should I just create them myself?
>>
>>55061837
So the General has been BLACKED and we're just cleaning up the mess?
>>
>New animated D&D movies: Very interested
>New live-action D&D movies: Interested
>New animated D&D TV series: Very interested
>New live-action D&D TV series: Not at all interested

A D&D cartoon show is the missing link in the D&D brand, the thing it needs to make more money. Well, a TV show and its attendant paraphenalia, like action figures.

Just as long as it's not a stupid isekai show. While I do love me some '80s cheezy D&D goodness, a modern D&D show should be in-universe. Preferably the Forgotten Realms, due to marketability an recognition. MOST preferably the Dalelands (rather than the Sword Coast), as I think the Dalelands work better for a TV series.

I may have a thing planned out already from a thread from last year.

Like, with even a rough one-word blurb for how each episode in a 26 episode season should play out.
>>
File: ass.png (19KB, 603x404px) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
19KB, 603x404px
>>55061845
Modules when?
>>
>>55061876
hasbro doesn't really care about D&D. M:tG is the moneymaker.
>>
>>55061861
Some asshole acted as both the left and the right and samefagged up entire threads
>>
>>55061807

If you don't ask for Eberron material you're a fag.
>>
>>55061965
Well since D&D is trying to be more gay no one should pic ebberon
>>
>>55061845
For clarification I'm talking about things like bandits, the archmage, the druid, the Knight, the spy, etc. It would be nice to have a larger resource of these prebuilt npc creatures.
>>
>>55062080
DF2
>>
>>55062099
DF2?
>>
how roleplay tolkienlike elf, i mean an elf as badass as feanor.
>>
>>55061436
Okay so I have a few ideas for the level 6 ability.
1. It could be something like, as a reaction to being hit by an attack, you can multiply your AC by 1.5 until the start of your next turn. I would need to word that better.
2. Another option would be, as a reaction to being targeted by an attack, before the attack roll, you may move up to 15 feet away from the target as your symbiote pushes you out of danger.
3. Lastly, maybe it could be an offensive type of reaction. Like, as a reaction to being hit by an attack, your symbiote lashes out. Make a melee attack roll, on a hit, the target takes 1d8 + your Charisma modifier damage of your current damage type resistance. You heal a number of hit points equal to half of the damage dealt. Then the damage would scale with your Warlock level. Is that too powerful though?
>>
>>55062115
its a joke about how it looked to melike you were listing classes for some sort of D&D tf2
>>
>>55062004
I actually feel sickened buying products with THIS level of blatant pandering going on. Which adventures don't have this going on? Out of the Abyss and Lost Mines, basically?
>>
>>55061649
I'd like if there were more minor effects like -5 speed or some such sprinkled between players and monsters, but I'm fine with it more or less
>>
>>55062185
Right? Having only 1 or 2 NPCs per 250-page campaign book is chicken shit. I want at least a dozen per.
>>
I'm doing a very special Curse of Strahd episode, where two players take on the Sunless Citadel

In how many ways can I rewrite it to fit Curse of Strahd?

>Oakhurst is replaced with Krezk
>The missing family are two of the Krezkov children who are supposed to be dead at the party's arrival
>The citadel is something Strahd sunk into ground himself, using his bond with the land
>He did it when some fucked up dragon cult ass holes took to an abandoned Terg temple and made it a hidey hole to worship the Shambling dick of Argynvost
>At the bottom the Gulthias tree born from the staked remains of the Terg vampire lord whom Strahd staked himself remains.
>The Druid there remains, biding his time to relocate to Yester Hill

The one thing I'm missing the most is why the fuck are there Kobolds and Goblins in Barovia, and whom should I replace them with if necessary
>>
>>55062185
I feel like Crawford was a diversity hire and it all went downhill from there
>>
>>55062180
I sort of am. I just really want more options. It's not too hard to scale things up or down as needed (except for the fucking spellcasters) but it would be nice to have more choices.
>>
>>55062145
like Fëanor?
>Extremely chaotic. Not beholden to anyone, mortal or otherwise, except maybe his own Oaths
>Likes to drag other people into his messes
>Only a good guy because he hates the bad guys even worse (they were trying to kiss his ass)
>Hates a "yes" man but usually does his own thing anyway
>muh silmarils
>eventually bites off more than he can chew
that's just off the top of my head though
>>
>>55062221
It's not a problem when it's done just because, but how often does a character's sexuality play into a game of D&D at all? The issue is that it's EXPLICITLY forced pandering.

For fuck sake they could release the exact same modules back in 2004, and I wouldn't take and issue because then I know that it's not being done as an ideological push.

>>55062229
Crawford is at least competent.
>>
>>55062356
hey
dont judge feanor
he lived in a time where death was but a word, he was the first orphan, he had his most precious creations stolen from him by the murderer of his father, and the gods, the ones who where like their uncles simply said, "nah, lets leave it as it is".
he was not to blame, the valar and eru were.
>>
>>55062413
>competent
>literally putting self inserts of him and his family into his worl
>he's going to do it more
>>
>>55062449
Point it out? I was talking more about with rules than with writing.
>>
>>55062356
>oaths
Was Feanor a 5e paladin?

>>55062449
Wat?
>>
>>55062456
>>55062460
Did you faggots even read the article?
>>
>>55062460
Paladin of revenge
Paladins must be LG yet?
>>
>>55062475
Oath of vengeance paladin?
Nah they don't have to be this edition.
>>
>>55062474
>/tg/
>reading
>owning books
>being at all literate
>>
>>55062449

>Acting like DnD settings have never had self inserts before
>Acting like Elminster and Mordenkainen weren't self inserts
>At least Crawfords weren't mary sue superpowered wizards.
>>
>>55062474
What did your autistic retard eyes see?
>>
>>55062474
I'm going to be completely honest with you, I just heard that Wizards was shoehorning aggressively gay tokens into their books from here on out and was like "yeah that seems like something they'd do". So no, I didn't.
>>
File: nonstop infinite smug.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
nonstop infinite smug.gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>55062526
You types take the bait every goddamn time.
>>
>>55062223
Argynvost predates the Terg. There could be dragon worshippers who are Terg.
>>
>>55062520
No its outright stated anon, he says it himself
>>55062517
Its literally him and his husband anon, atleast mary sues have some distance from the creator
>>
What spells should I take for a Hexblade Bladelock?
>>
>>55062561
Gygax literally made a god in Greyhawk (Zagig Yragerne) that was just his name backwards.
>>
>>55062561
Remember when last thread shit heads didn't keep taking the bait, and so we managed to make a break that didn't turn the threads into pathfinder tier cancerycancecancer?
>>
Are people satisfied with 5e mechanically?
>>
>>55062604
Are you saying he shouldn't have done that?
>>
File: 53e.png (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
53e.png
27KB, 200x200px
>>55062642
It leaves a bit to be desired but overall yeah, it beats the bloat of 3.pf.
>>
>>55062661
Oh man, 3.PF is terrible, really shittily designed. And that's after playing it extensively. Never again.
>>
>>55062642
It's alright. I like that it's not very complicated and it's based around gm fiat meaning a player can basically do anything and not have to search through a playbook for a specific rule. Well anything realistic
>>
Is there a good random spell list generator? Specifically I'm looking for something that will speed up magic npc creation.
>>
>>55062642
I will say as someone new to TTRPGs that I don't regret starting with 5e (yet). The rules provide a strong foundation to resolve situations like combat and sneaking, but enough freedom that the players shouldn't ever feel restricted in what they can do (within reason) unless their GM is a dick. Maybe once I branch out to other game systems I'll change my mind, but so far 5e has been great fun mechanics-wise.
>>
Any tips for someone playing Theater of the Mind only for the first time?
How different is the combat?
>>
>>55062654

yes
>>
>>55062642
it's good SKELETAL work for an edition, a good foundation, but they really need to expand on it. I think a 1st level feat for all races, not just human, would benefit greatly for player customization. and thus thats what i'm doing with all my racial reworks.

also prestige classes, yes they can work, but the first and only one they made was an abomination.
>>
>>55062889
Which one did they make?
>>
>>55062428
>he was not to blame, the valar and eru were.
You forgot to mention the Battle of Teleri aggression, Kinslayer. Surely you also believe the shipbuilders were at fault for selfishly attempting to retain their own precious creations?
>he had his most precious creations stolen from him
>b-but muh silmarils
>>
>>55061000
Green Dragon
>>
>>55062642
I like running it as a DM but as a player I'd probably rather be playing something like 4e.
>>
>>55062933
just google ua prestige class, it was a stupid 5-level rune mage prestige class that seems like a precursor to how you used the rune magic items in STK
>>
I'm making a paladin/sorcerer. Should I get 1-2 level in hexblade for cha on everything + hex and short rest spell slots, or is that way too cheesy (or actively not worth it because it holds back pal/sor features?)
>>
>>55063313
It seems like every few hours there is a post of someone saying "im making a paladin/sorcerer, should i do hexblade"

Sure, my guy, do it and stop asking.

unless the demand for this specific build is so high in which case, oops
>>
>>55063331
This is the first time I asked it. I can see it being popular because the idea of keying everything into CHA is a fun gimmick and paladin/sorcerer have really obvious exploits with short rest spell slots.

So do you have any idea on if its effective? Too effective?
>>
>>55062841

Describe environments thoroughly. In combat, players need to know available hazards, cover, hiding spots, vantage points, and paths available to them.

Abstract movement. Consider there to be only two states of being, "in melee range" and "not in melee range," and a character's full movement being necessary to bridge that gap. Perhaps use small paper tokens for yourself to represent who is close to who. There's a PDF from a few threads ago that described a "tile" system that makes it easy to picture.

Use either the representation described above, or simply your best judgement when deciding who gets hit by AOE attacks and spells.
>>
>>55063065
well
i didnt say he haven't done bad things, but all this, in truth, all of the evil of middle-earth could have been avoided by the valar.
also having your masterpiece of your life stolen from you would drive you nuts as well.
Aside from it the silmarils are know to make people who hold them obssessive about them
>>
>>55063448
>all of the evil of middle-earth could have been avoided by the valar
SAY, THAT SOUNDS KINDA LIKE SOMETHING MORGOTH WOULD SAY, BROTHER! Does TULKAS have to COME OVER THERE PERSONALLY and open up a CAN OF WHOOP-ASS, OH YEAH!?
>>
>>55063599
i still dont get how morgoth is the most powerful vala and still lose to tulkas
has it something to do with his power being too spread over middle earth?
>>
I'm waiting to be disappointed by the final iteration of the artificer.
>>
What are the differences between PHB ranger and the revised one?
>>
>>55063642
abstract power isn't everything, tulkas is physically strongest and a better fighter.
>>
>>55063695
Why don't you read them
>>
>>55063642
Typical caster nerd outskilled by glorious martial suplex prowess.
>>
>>55063764
>Chad_martial_vs_Virgin_caster.jpg
>>
>>55063764
Are we gonna get a Virgin dnd character and a Chad dnd character meme going
>>
>>55063873
>gnome wizard
>spends too long worrying about which spells to prepare
>still doesn't prepare the right ones

>half-orc paladin
>20 charisma and 20 strength, wisdom and intelligence are for faglords
>uses gwm, never misses
>>
Oops, forgot
>never uses spell slots for casting, only smites
>>
I have been playing a Palladin 2 Sorc X (4 atm) for some time now and it is extremly powerful.

I the metamagics and booming blade cantrips mean I can do up to three attacks a turn and smite on every one of them. I do too much damage for the group, its kinda boring.

What do you do when a character is too mechanically good, but you still like to roleplay him? It would feel super retarded to redesign or change things about him now like 13 meetings into the game, especially since I have been week before this part...

Currently he is using sword/shield and defence fighting style putting his AC at 21/23 with shield of faith. But since he has Shield I am concidering swapping for GWM and go full two handed, then it would mean less AC and less chance to hit but he would still do truckloads of dmg when he hits...

Anyway have anyone else felt too strong when multiclassing? Or do you have experience with the Smiting Sorc/Bard? Tips/tricks/questions?
>>
File: chadvir.jpg (90KB, 1400x569px) Image search: [Google]
chadvir.jpg
90KB, 1400x569px
>>55063879
template here
>>
>>55063983
>I the metamagics and booming blade cantrips mean I can do up to three attacks a turn and smite on every one of them.
How?

Anyway its not multiclassing that makes paladins do tons of damage, that's just paladins. multiclassing can help but its still crazy
>>
>>55064010
You can use metamagic to quicken booming blade and/or twin booming blade. That gives you 3 attacks. Its quite effective.
>>
>>55063998
Please tell me somebody's working on this
>>
>>55064038
To do that and smite on every hit takes up 75% of a pal 2/sorc 4's sorcerery points and 33% of your spell slots. So you can do that all of, what, two rounds and then you're completely tapped out for the day because you spent all your slots on smites and getting SP?

It's really good if theres one big bad asshole, but generally you deal with more than one guy in a day
>>
File: file.png (210KB, 321x299px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
210KB, 321x299px
Fuck, Beholders are goofy to write for if you've never done anything with them before.

They don't necessarily have to be in the Underdark, right? Was sort of thinking of having a few major factions being unknowingly pitted against each other by a Beholder, weakening them so he can eventually take charge himself and begin his hunt for long lost artifacts in the surrounding area safely.

Beholder's wouldn't have any problem with having subservients, would they? I know they are incredibly egotistical and hate everything besides themselves, but that doesn't mean ignoring the advantages of pawns.
>>
>>55064137
Yes, the problem is that our dm basically makes us fight one fight every long rest... So this is super strong to do, but I can still use my low level spellslots to get more metamagic if I need to.
>>
File: money.png (618KB, 593x628px) Image search: [Google]
money.png
618KB, 593x628px
>Almost 300 bucks for pdfs of the dnd beyond material
>doesn't even get you future stuff
what the fuck
>>
>>55064607
You COULD just find the PDFs online and use them.
>>
File: 1496936802986.jpg (145KB, 1079x1161px) Image search: [Google]
1496936802986.jpg
145KB, 1079x1161px
>>55064632
B-but that's piracy, anon...
>>
>>55064671

Oh no, what have I done?
>>
>>55064691
>Oh no, what have I done?
Piracy

You're CE anon
>>
>>55064671
YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE
>>
>>55064762
Internet piracy is alright by me
>>
>>55064762
I WILL NEVER BUY A BOOK OF 5E
>>
>>55064782
>>55064792

YOU ARE A PIRATE
>>
Hey /tg/ I told my players that a star has fallen by a nearby town, and one of the players is interested in using the metal to forge a weapon.

I want to give it special properties, but I don't know what it will do. Maybe something anti-fey related because of the whole 'cold iron" thing?
>>
>>55064825
It's high quality steel
>>
>>55064691
>>55064754
On the plus side, you're also a swashbuckler, which is a pretty good subclass.
>>
There is any setting which is not the generic fantasy but it's not fantasy in the modern days?
i mean like a world which evolved with magic, were swords and medieval weapons are still used, but there are none of the fantasy races(elves, dwarves), only humans and otherwordly things like devils or abominations.
>>
>>55064825
Adamantine can be found in meteorites, but it takes a really skilled smith to make something from it, could a quest hook to go to a big city.
>>
>>55062841
Wait, how close am I, again?
>>
Anyone had much experience with adventurers league?
Positive or negative experience?
I've just moved to a new city and I'm considering joining one to test the waters.
>>
>>55064937
This. I fucking hate it.

Have a grid. Have walls. Have notable structural elements in place.
Have enemies and players on the board, but don't worry TOO much about movement range.
Everything else, you can theater of the mind, ex: "is there a brazier/table/rafter nearby?" Yeah, sure.
>>
>>55062841
Just rule in the players favor if there's ever really a dispute. What you don't want to do is cause a big confusion about who is where. But encourage your players to ask clarifying questions if there's something you forget.

I have moved on to basically only doing theater of the mind for combat unless it's a really big fight. But if it's something I expect them to take down in a couple rounds or with just a couple resources we hash it out in our heads. Makes those combats go by sooo much faster. And players usually take the opportunity to get creative.
>>
>>55064905
Just take non-human races out, the only issue that comes up is finding dungeon fodder to replace goblins/orcs/whatever the fuck else
>>
>>55065020
>Everything else, you can theater of the mind, ex: "is there a brazier/table/rafter nearby?" Yeah, sure.
Oddly enough I find players have white-room syndrome, as I call it, when we use grids and not everything is drawn out for them. Yet with TotM, they let their imagination run much wilder.
>>
>>55065054
To me it sounds like they could just make humans the only playable races, and keep dwarves/elves whatever else have you, but make them more monstrous and uncivilized. Kind of in the way we view elves in our world. We don't think of them as real beings, but as magical creatures that live in the woods or bake cookies inside of trees.
>>
>>55061000
How hard do you want the encounters to be?

Throw a couple of flying pixies with poison laced darts. The darts roll to see if they hit and if they alert the player on a successful hit (some save vs. perception or a constitution save). If the dart hits the player after 1d4 rounds the player must succeed a constitution save or be poisoned. The poison deals 1d4 damage per round for 1d4 rounds.

Once the poison starts they know immediately that they are poisoned.. they just don't know how. You could fuck with them by having the pixies laugh at them or something. Or maybe be even more evil and make it a chance to get a terrible disease.
>>
>>55065089
that's another good alternative, I've actually thought about how a Brothers Grimm-esque style game would work
>>
>>55064905
Yes but you won't like it

it's asoiaf
>>
>>55065115
This is Hrumgorr, my level 13 Horse Rapist Fighter.
>>
>>55065108
Difficulty can really be whatever. I'm getting some great shit so far, this one sounds fun too.

Mix in some difficult shit with mind fuckery like this is always good.
>>
>>55064825
>comes from the stars, so aligned with the fey (I really like how LotR elves revere Varda/Elbereth, OK?)
>cold iron, so disaligned with the fey
Here are some of my ideas:
>while being wielded by a Fey creature or an elf, the sword is a +1 sword that sheds dim light in a radius of 30 feet when enemies are nearby. Any attacks made by the sword AGAINST a Fey creature or an elf have +1 to hit and to damage. These bonuses are cumulative (e.g., if an elf attacks another elf with the sword, it will function as a +2 sword)
>the blade of the sword phases through wood. If you drop the sword onto a wooden floor, the blade will fall beneath and the handle will stick up. , If it is wielded with the intent to do so, however, it can cut wood and trees with impossible ease. If you attempt to fall a tree with the blade, merely swinging it through the trunk is sufficient. The cut will be uncannily flawless.
>The metal seeks its former home. When you are at high altitudes or in open places on clear nights, the sword will show an almost magnetic attraction towards the night sky, perhaps twitching out of its scabbard as though it wants to fly away. At these times, throwing the sword will result in it traveling further than normal. Helping the sword and returning it to its home may yield a boon of heaven, but taunting the sword or treating it too roughly will result in it attempting to set out on its own -- inconveniencing you in the process however it can.
>>
>>55064872
But that's boring
>>
>>55065132
>Horse Rapist
>Not even the dragon diddler
>>
File: dwarfbanditocave.png (3MB, 1276x930px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfbanditocave.png
3MB, 1276x930px
>>55065063
I went Full Autism with area decoration in my game and made it clear to my players that just because there's something NOT on screen doesn't mean that it couldn't be there somewhere. Obviously there's more lighting than visible, obviously you could find some [whatevers] or some shit in the loot stash of a bunch of Dwarven bandits, and so on.
>>
>>55062642
It's a step in the right direction but has entirely missed the point or failed to take some things into consideration in some instances. Like multiclassing martials too early means no extra attack at 5th level. Fighter 3/barbarian 2 for example does not get the extra attack they typically would by going full 5 in a class

Casters still get 9 levels of spells meaning spellbooks are incredibly bloated. The bloat is made more confusing when you have to remember what requires concentration, what doesn't, etc. Many evocation spells are just 'fireball but in a different AoE or element' still.

Gold is fucking worthless. Wtf are you suppose to buy? Casters need spell components sure but without progressively better weaponry/armor (+1, +2 etc) gold stockpiles very quickly.

Martials are still 'swing my sword' for 20 levels. Casters always have more options but martials still don't scale in terms of power as levels increase. wizards at 20 are gods still, martials are just more muscular martials. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% ok with the wizard being god-like at 20 but so should my fighter in his own fighter-y way.
>>
>>55065218
I like it. But yeah, I think it's just the mentality of my players. I've done the same, making such abundantly clear. But they get distracted by whats on screen and it seems to limit their imagination.
>>
>>55064825

How about having it have a space virus in it that can spread to enemies.

Maybe when you attack an enemy they have to make a saving throw, on a fail they're poisoned for a minute, on a save they're immune to the effect for the day.

Could also have it deal bonus poison damage.
>>
>>55065218
>Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% ok with the wizard being god-like at 20 but so should my fighter in his own fighter-y way.

I think it would be interesting if fighters gained actual legendary resistance instead of reroll with indomitable.
>>
>>55064825
>Star-metal Longsword
>Typical +1 longsword stats
>+1d6 extra damage to fey creatures
>Wielder is resistant to fire damage

dunsies.
>>
>>55064825
Fey are gay, there's no point to putting anti-fey shit in your campaign if there's not gonna be fey, and you shouldn't put fey in because they're gay.

Figure out where your campaign is going and what your players are going to encounter and build your metal's magical property around that.

If you have any space entities (like GOO shit) in your setting, consider tying it in with them instead. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with "shit's on fire, yo" or its opposite. Once per whatever rest, the blade flashes and releases the heat akin to that which it experienced when plummeting to earth, or it reveals a greedy hunger for the heat it was denied for untold millennia as it spiraled through the cold void of space.
>>
File: EarlySquidbillies.jpg (61KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
EarlySquidbillies.jpg
61KB, 288x288px
>>55065378
The Redcaps in my game are almost exactly like Early Cuyler (apart from not being squids).
>>
What happens if two divination wizards use portent on the same roll?

I'm DM'ing a campaign that will be starting soon, starting at 3rd level. One player told me weeks ago they're going to be playing a divination wizard pretending to be a conjuration wizard, and we would set up two secret signals for when they wanted to replace an upcoming roll with portent. Yesterday, one of the players decided they're going to play a divination wizard, because portent. My first thought was this will be a completely imbalanced party but oh well, we'll make it work. But now I'm wondering what I do in the scenario where the overt divination wizard and the secret divination wizard both want to replace a roll. In the case where they both make it succeed or both make it fail it doesn't matter, but idk what to do when they contradict.
>>
>>55065683
A new type of Inevitable spawns on the plane and tracks both of the individuals down over the course of three weeks to punch each of them in the dick for fucking with the timestream.
>>
>>55065683
Treat it like the Lucky feat and make it so that more than one use of Portent cancels out and you roll anyway
>>
>>55064232
Yeah, they can live just about everywhere, and they love their servants.

You should check out Volo's if you haven't already, they have a whole chapter on beholders and the way they act/think.
>>
How is favored soul not blatantly superior to all other sorcerer bloodlines? It effectively doubles the number of available spells to a class where one of your main weaknesses is a narrow spell list despite being a full caster
>>
My friend wants to play a brawler but doesn't want to pick a monk. What the fuck do I do?
>>
>>55066201
Tell him to play a barbarian grappler or something.
>>
>>55065218
What software is this ?
>>
>>55066245
Not him, but, RPG Maker
>>
>>55066201
BARBROGUE

A

R

B

R

O

G

U

E
>>
>>55066183
Pretty sure a revision narrowed the spell list a bit
>>
>>55066280
It's barbArogue, anon
>>
>>55066201
Tell him to go barbarian or fighter with tavern brawler and eventually give him magic brass/whateverthefuck knuckles to upgrade his shit to get past resistance, probably have to fiat certain things to work with unarmed attacks but that's whatever
>>
>>55066280
Why rogue though? Unarmed strike isn't a finesse weapon.
>>
>>55066280
>double spaces
>>
>>55066296
Expertise in athletics for grappling
>>
>>55066183
No. Sorcerer main weakness is their limited spell known. Favored Soul doesn't improve on that, actually they make it worst with all the delicious available option that you cannot take. Player will never feel satisfy playing a Favored Soul because they will always think that "I could have taken X spell instead and be better in this situation"
>>
>>55066201
I homebrewed a primal path for that if you wanna take a look
>>
Is there any official listed size for Decaton Modrons? Nonatons are listed as 9 feet tall, and Pentadrones are around 7, so I suppose it makes sense for it to be 8 feet, however most art I can find has them absolutely dwarfing Monodrones to the point they look like they should be like 15 feet tall.
>>
>>55066201
Paladin. Smite with his fists.
>>
>>55066333
Not him, but show it, nothing bad could happen.
>>
>>55066356
Nona = 9
Penta = 5
Deca = 10
Why would Decatons be between Pentadrones and Nonatons in height?
>>
>>55059094
It's not about the benefits. The difference between greatsword/rapier, glaive/whip, greatsword/glaive, and rapier/whip all suggest the whip should be 1d4.
>>
Does spell sniper stack with eldrich blast's 300ft invocation
>>
>>55066284
the latest revision adjusted the other features (but they're still quite good), you still get "literally the entire cleric list outside of domains for free" and they even buffed this because now you get cure wounds as an extra spell known at level 1, meaning a favored soul will have more spells than any other bloodline unless you count shadow being able to cast darkness using SP

>>55066327
>No. Sorcerer main weakness is their limited spell known.
This is the other weakness, yes, but having a dumbed down version of the wizard list with enhance ability and some other dumb shit. Saying "I have too many good options to take" is a stupid ass argument because that's more potential good choices for a sorcerer than he otherwise couldn't have and it lets him actually take advantage of retraining spells each level instead of "pick the 2-3 spells per level on your narrow list that are good" like regular sorcerers
>>
>>55066426
Yes
So does Sorcerer's Distant Spell if you really want to cheese it
>>
>>55066393
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJ8oz0G_-
Constructive criticism would be appreciated
>>
File: Pugilist Class.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Pugilist Class.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>55066201
>>
File: 1503470985777.png (4MB, 898x7091px) Image search: [Google]
1503470985777.png
4MB, 898x7091px
>>55066405
Decatons are the first Heirarch tier. Base Modrons go from 1-5 in order of power while Heirarchs count down 10-1, where 1 is Primus.
>>
File: donotopen.jpg (267KB, 841x473px) Image search: [Google]
donotopen.jpg
267KB, 841x473px
Cursed image.
>>
>>55066479
Shows what the fuck I know about Modrons
>>
>>55066427
>>55066427
Why are you angry about Sorcerer finally getting good options? Are you a Wizard?
>>
>>55066495
Well, I opened it.
What am I looking at?
>>
>>55061038
Players aren't that smart, they'd try and fight the snek swarm
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>55066539
People playing d&d
>>
>>55066531
I'm angry that the class only has one option worth using because of how much better and more interesting it makes the class
>>
>>55066624
You're being a little ridiculous anon
>>
>Previous thread I was contemplating doing a Healer/Necro Cleric
>Someone suggested going Death Cleric if the GM allowed it

Is it balanced enough for a player to use or is it just tucked into the DMG because it's thought to be an evil archetype? I was planning on making the character just a real creeper obsessed with necromancy but also learned healing magic because life and death are one in the same and that if the party stays alive longer they'll be stronger and more talented zombies down the road.
>>
Anyone know where I can find that site that lets you make your own monster stat blocks online? Not a downloadable program -- you just punch in the stats and it spits out the stat block for you.
>>
Why is it when someone says 'Take silence it's a good spell' it's always met with 'yeah buy how often do you really run into spell casters?'
but when someone says 'Take counterspell it's a good spell' people collectively jizz themselves and agree unanimously?
>>
>>55066624
Diviner Wizard
Bearbearian
Lore Bard

>>55066643
Death Cleric is kinda boring and its ability doesn't even go well with your character concept. Maybe try Lore Bard with Aura of Vitality and Animate Dead?
>>
>>55066762
I'm planning on taking silence and almost solely using it to piss off other players during RP
>>
>>55066762
You target can just walk out of silence.
>>
>>55066762
Counterspell is a reaction and silence isn't
>>
>>55066766
Hunter Ranger
>>
>>55066762
counterspell also make them waste a spellslot
>>
>>55066762
because if you take silence then the monster who takes counterspell wins
>>
>>55066872
>>55066872
but the monster can also counterspell your counterspell unless your friend also has counterspell to counterspell its counterspell.
>>
>>55066872
You can take both
>>
>>55066885
yeah, so you see why people collectively jizz themselves and agree unanimously when you take counterspell

always have more party members with counterspells than you have targets in the entire universe.
>>
>>55066906
.... (subtle counterspell)
>>
>>55061620
I'd just rework the whole archetype without the reduced AC thing, as in the balance of everything.

If you go for the 13/14+CHA AC I'd allow shields. It's basically the same thing as the stone sorcerer feature, just utilizing a different ability score.

I'd just rework the level 6 ability to something else. Combine the adapt-to-damage type to reaction reduce damage. Say, once per long rest you can use your reaction to gain resistance to a damage type you're damaged by and it lasts for 1 minute.
>>55062155
1. Anything you reword it too would just be another shield and at that point, why don't you just put that in their extended spell list?
2. That could work as well.
3. 1d6+warlock level if it's long rest, 1d6+CHA if short rest would probably be the best balance.

Sorry for the late reply, I had work the past several hours and just got back.
>>
>>55066456
Now I wanna play Alex Louis Armstrong
>>
>>55066643

It's pretty weak for a cleric IMO, but it's not as bad a trickery domain, so it's fine.
>>
>>55066985
T..trickery domain has the best spell list ;_;
>>
Do you guys like combat that only last for a couple rounds but with many encounters or fewer encounters with longer fights?
>>
>>55067025
both. use many encounter to deplete player resource and longer fight for boss battle.
>>
>>55067025
depends on the context of the fights honestly. in general though i guess shorter but more frequent combat is better since it keeps stuff from feeling like a slog
>>
>>55067025
As a DM, I much prefer fewer, longer encounters. In general, I hate making my players fight "random" battles while they're adventuring. If they're going to fight mooks, they should atleast be mooks that are tied to what they are doing, or something. Fighting random wolves in the woods for 20 minutes is pointless unless those wolves stole some artifact or something.
>>
>>55067025
Fewer encounters with longer fights.
But not artificially longer like just having big bosses with lots of HP. Staggered fights because enemies come in as reinforcements and extend the fight are cool because it feels like things are happening in the world.

Small, frequent encounters are my preference only if the DM is doing per-battle EXP and we can level right before fighting the big boss. That feels a bit satisfying to me if it's a milestone like extra attack.
>>
>>55066183
It is the best sorcerer bloodline. It has plenty of solid metamagic spells like distanced spirit guardians and twinned cure wounds.
>>
>>55067025
I normally have big single encounters that get reinforcement after reinforcement.
>>
>>55066643
Take a look at this. I use it for my Clerics of Kelemvor. I got it from the DMs Guild.

There's another document I like, called Dark Arts Player's Companion. That might help.
>>
>>55067097
I like distance spirit guardians. Any other cool trick?
>>
Are there any good feats for a Stone Sorcerer to take, besides the obvious War Mage?
I'm VHuman and aiming to be doing some melee.
>>
>>55067252
>>55067097
>distanced spirit guardians
>distanced
>range of self
>>
>>55067252
Distanced cure wounds (no need for healing word). Honestly Sorcerer metamagic is great for the healing spells because a lot of them are single target and/or have a range of touch.
You can also raise like ten people from the dead a day and have a significant amount of skeletons under your control for a 24 hour period.
It's just a really great subclass for sorcerers (which is a class I think is generally disappointing)
>>
>>55067276
It's a radius around you. It has a radius/distance of 15 ft. Burning hands for reference also is self (15 foot cone).
These spells have a distance, it's just saying that they come directly from a point centered on you. They can be meta distanced.
>>
>>55067371
No, they can't. The area of a spell is different from its casting range, and Distant Spell only changes the range. Burning Hands is not eligible, not is Spirit Guardians.
>>
>>55067394
I disagree. Point me to the page that says Burning Hands is not eligible.
>>
>>55067394
Also if this is true. What spell does a sorcerer have that has a range of 5 feet? Why would they include that descriptor in the lines of the distance meta magic?
>>
>>55067442
the lines describing*
>>
>>55067336
Sorc subclasses really needed bonus spells ala cleric domain spells related to the theme. Like phoenix sorc, which is pretty shit, would've been significantly less shit if it got the early fire spells as freebies.

>>55067409
The part where Burning Hands has a range of self. Distant spell can only affect spells with an actual range or touch spells. Self spells can't be enhanced by distant spell. Burning Hands may affect a 15ft cone, but the actual range of the spell is self because it originates from you.
>>
File: AcroRd32_2017-08-25_23-15-06.png (170KB, 448x167px) Image search: [Google]
AcroRd32_2017-08-25_23-15-06.png
170KB, 448x167px
>>55067409
PHB p. 102
The range of Burning Hands isn't Touch, it's Self.

>>55067442
Multiclassing, feats that give cantrips from other classes
>>
File: Capture.png (122KB, 281x186px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
122KB, 281x186px
>>55067471
It's Self (15 ft cone). There is no rule there saying that you can't distance a self spell.
>>
>>55067490
self is neither a range of touch, nor is it a range of 5ft or greater.
>>
>>55067490
There's no rule saying that you can't try to make an athletics check to jump to the moon either, that doesn't make it possible. Distant Spell does not affect spells with a range of Self, end of story.
>>
>>55067509
"Range of five feet or greater" or "range of touch" are the only spell ranges that distant spell can effect.

Ie, not range of self.
>>
>>55067518
yes, that's what i said.
>>
>>55067518
Yes that's exactly what he said
>>
>>55067509
>>55067512
I disagree and most tables do when this discrepancy is brought up.
Self (Range) can be distanced because it has a range modifier.
>>
>>55067535
you can disagree all you want, you're still wrong.
>>
>>55067540
I don't think so.
>>
>>55067525
>>55067522
I replied to the wrong post.
Sorry.

I'm going to bed now.
>>
>>55067535
Most tables follow the actual rule, and it doesn't matter that you disagree because you're just wrong. There's no argument to be made here. Spells either have a distance range, a range of touch, or a range of self.

>>55067549
Well that's too fucking bad then, isn't it?
>>
>>55067535
You're still wrong. By your logic if you distant spell a fireball its radius doubles to 40ft because that's a range too it isn't, it's an area of effect like the 15ft for burning hands, I'm pretty sure even you can understand how insane that would be.
>>
>>55067562
>most tables follow the actual rule
No I don't think so. But you can think that if you want.
In fact I'd say many tables allow quickened spells to give sorcerer two spells a round.

Now I can concede that I may be wrong on this ruling, but gm fiat beats everything in 5e and I don't think very many gms are really bothered by a distanced burning hands.
>>
>>55067611
Really? Are you a part of most tables?
>>
File: 1.png (194KB, 428x217px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
194KB, 428x217px
>>55067601
Here is fireballs spell description for comparison with your eyes to Burning Hands posted here >>55067490
You see how it doesn't say Range: 150 feet (20 foot radius)?
>>
>>55067611
I fucking hate how every time some asshat autist like you loses an argument that could easily be solved just by reading the book, you fall back on the excuse of "well the GM can do whatever they want so NA-NA I'M RIGHT UR WRONG". This happens without fucking fail. When discussing rules, whether or not the GM house rules a change is completely fucking irrelevant.
>>
>>55067627
No, but I would assume it was such a common and allowed (and disputed) ruling that they had to specifically address it in their sage advice section.

>>55067648
I haven't lost anything. You seem very angry that i'm disagreeing with your interpretation of a rule. I'm just showing you my reasoning and I have never experienced a GM who does not allow this
>>
>>55067638
Distant Spell does not change the area affected by a spell, only its range, and it does not affect spells with a range of self.
>>
>>55067535
bro burning hands says it comes out your HANDS. if you metamagic it, do you think suddenly your arms get fucking longer?
>>
>>55067677
>You seem very angry that i'm disagreeing with your interpretation of a rule
I'm annoyed that shitheads like you ALWAYS bring up DM fiat when you get called out for being wrong about a rule. And you're not "disagreeing with my interpretation", you're just wrong.
>>
>>55067611
>but gm fiat beats everything
yeah, but in rules discussion you IGNORE DM fiat, because then it's not a RULES DISCUSSION
>>
>>55067678
Yes and burning hands has a range of Self (15 ft cone). If they meant that all range of Self spells were not allowed they would have said it in so in the Distance spell description no?

>>55067695
You've shown me nothing that convinces me that I am wrong
>>
>>55067713
All I'm trying to say is that I don't see how my interpretation is wrong, I haven't been presented with evidence to the contrary to convince me, and I have never played at a table that didn't rule this way.
>>
>>55067724
It DOES say so in the description you illiterate tit. It says a range of touch or a range greater than 5ft. A range of SELF is neither of these. Area of effect is NOT a spells range. No matter how much you want to bend that you cannot distant spell burning hands, you can't distant spell lightning bolt and you can't distant spell control weather amongst many others.
>>
>>55067724
>they would have said it in so in the Distance spell description no?
No. Just like they don't say that you can't use Extended Spell on a spell with a duration less than one minute. It's because they say what the option applies to, and if it is not one of those things then it doesn't apply. Distant Spell applies to spells with a distance range or a range of touch, not a range of self.

>You've shown me nothing that convinces me that I am wrong
Congratulations, you're a stubborn idiot.
>>
>>55067738
>I haven't been presented with evidence to the contrary
THE LITERAL BOOK ITSELF IS EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY.

>I have never played at a table that didn't rule this way.
"But all of my previous GMs were also stupid!" isn't an argument.
>>
>>55067742
Why do they put in the range section then? No other style of spell does this. Why would they be that intentionally confusing?
>>
>>55067771
>Why do they put in the range section then?
Because it makes things easier for people who can fucking read.
>Why would they be that intentionally confusing?
They're not, you're just a dimwit.
>>
>>55067465
That's what I did for my games at home, anon.

Anyone that rolls up a Sorcerer in my home games tells me their archetype right at level 1 and I houserule in them getting "Origin Spells" as a bonus. My current balance of it is they get to choose one of two or three spells when they first gain access to 1st thru 5th level spell slots.

Currently, my game has a Phoenix Sorcerer. His options at level 1 was Burning Hands or Expeditious Retreat. At level 3, Scorching Ray or Misty Step. Level 5, Fireball or Fly. At level 7, Wall of Fire or Polymorph. At level 9, Conjure Elemental or Geas.

I've contemplated granting them a 'Signature Spell' as well, and let them add their CHA mod to damage if it's a spell that inflicts some, and they can cast it via SP instead of a spell slot.
>>
>>55067769
WHERE? I've read the section. Burning hands has a range greater than 5 ft. It's not just an area of effect it is it's range. Area of effect spells do not include there area in there range. Fireball's damage extends outside of it's 150 foot range if you hit it on the edge, this is not true of burning hands.
>>
File: Now fuck off.png (40KB, 777x377px) Image search: [Google]
Now fuck off.png
40KB, 777x377px
>>55067795
No it's the area of effect not its range. Anyway here's something to end this silly argument. I'm surprised nobody bothered posting this before now honestly
>>
>>55067795
>Burning hands has a range greater than 5 ft
No, it has an AREA greater than 5 ft. Its range is self, and Distant Spell does not affect spells with a range of self. This is so easy to understand if you stop trying to make the rules say what you WANT them to say.
>>
>>55067814
>but anon Crawford is a hack
>but anon muh dm
>but anon muh rulebending to my advantage
>>
>>55067814
Alright I concede. That's really disappointing.
Distant spell was one of the metamagics that I believed was actually worthwhile outside of twinned.

>>55067819
I've read the same rules. That's still my baseline interpretation of the rules. I'm honestly just disappointed, mostly because I've had trouble justifying the existence of sorcerer's outside of meta magic.
Why do they even exist in 5th edition?
>>
>>55067814
i tried searching to shut this idiot up, but i was looking in sage advice.
>>
>>55067856
>Distant spell was one of the metamagics that I believed was actually worthwhile outside of twinned.
It still is...
>>
>>55067856
For what it's worth anon, as one of the people arguing against you I wish it DID work that way because I'm playing a sorc at the moment and the idea of shooting 200ft lightning bolts and having an enormous cone of fire erupt from my hands is great. As it is I've just resigned myself to mostly using sorcery points to twin firebolts under mantle of flame and to get spell slots back for casting more scorching rays. Mantle of flame scorching rays scared the shit out of my DM in one of our most recent sessions when the damn thing crit twice and oneshot the boss monster we were fighting at the time. He'd forgotten I took fire adept asap and was banking on it being able to tank my damage
>>
need help from someone who knows the dnd world/lore well, orcpub is asking me to pick subraces/ethnicities for my human characters and I'm not familiar enough with them to know which are the best fits.

The two characters I need to pick for are a warlock, background is a professor of astronomy who discovered otherdimensional gods while looking through his magic telescope. Basically looking for a british or anglo-saxon analog, he's a crotchety old guy with white hair.

And the other is a diviner wizard with the background of travelling gypsy/vistani. She's kinda a trickster/gambler type. Dark hair, olive skin, kinda like the pic.

Any ideas?
>>
>>55067889
It is but I'd still rate quicken and subtle higher than it along with twinned. Hell I'd consider heightened about equal with it too honestly if you're in a game where you tend to fight small amounts of dangerous shit instead of hordes of weaker enemies. A heightened hold person on a werewolf your martials literally cannot hurt is a god send for running the fuck away
>>
>>55067889
It's largely situational (like the majority of meta magic), outside of touch spells. Meta magic and spell conversion (which you can't do past 6th level) are the only things sorcerers have. Meta magic is mostly useless, so that leaves spell conversion which falls off after 10th level.

It just disappoints me because it's like 'oh this meta magic really changes things up a bit, things like this are what sets sorcerers apart.' but it's not true.
I don't just want to be a wizard with a smaller pool of spells to choose, albeit with more spells... kind of (unless you're using the variant spell point bullshit rule which literally destroys any reason for Sorcerers to exist). Spell conversion is still nice I think, but honestly I'd be fine if they took spell conversion away and just really vamped up meta magic. That's just my thoughts on it.
Why be a sorcerer when you can just be a fucking wizard?
>>
>>55067966
Yeah, it's not the strongest. In my games I allow sorcerers to prepare metamagic options each day like wizards prepare spells, so that they're not locked in to only a few of them. I also created several new metamagic options, but the last sorcerer PC died recently so they haven't really been tested yet.
>>
>>55068011
What are your new metamagics?
>>
>>55068010
sorcerer is in great need of spells that have a deeper interaction with metamagics, such as additional/greater effects when conditions are met that metamagics can meet (ex: greater effect if target has disadvantage on the save, more damage the further away the spell hits, cantrip that deals more damage if you have already hit with it in the same round)
>>
>>55068048
Thank you for asking :)

>Alchemical Spell
When you cast a spell that deals acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, or thunder
damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to another type
among those same options.

>Delayed Spell
When you cast a spell that has a casting time of less than one minute, you can
spend 2 sorcery points to delay the effects of the spell. You cast the spell as
normal, but none of the effects of the spell occur immediately. Choose a number
of rounds no greater than half your sorcerer level. The effects of the spell
occur that many rounds into the future on an initiative count that you choose
when you cast the spell. If the spell has a range of self or touch, the spell
takes effect as normal. Otherwise, the effects of the spell originate from where
the spell was originally cast. You can only delay one spell at a time.

>Enlarged Spell
When you cast a spell that effects an area, you can spend a number of sorcery
points equal to 1 + the spell's level to double the size of the area effected by
this spell in all dimensions.

>Frightening Spell
When you cast a spell that targets only one creature, you can spend 3 sorcery
points to force the target to make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save
DC. On a failure, the target becomes frightened of you for one minute. The
target can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the
effect on a success.

>Merciful Spell
When you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to
restrain this spell's power. If a creature is reduced to 0 hit points by this
spell and not killed outright, the creature falls unconscious and is stable.

>Strange Spell
When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist
its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to change the first saving throw for
one creature from one ability to another of your choice.
>>
>>55068048
>>55068107
For some context since that post was almost too long, Alchemical and Strange are based on the UA Loremaster wizard's abilities to change damage type and saving throw, and Strange is balanced against Heightened (3 SP). Delayed spell is based on a homebrew Chronomancer wizard school that my DM let me play once. Enlarged is basically what Burning-Hands-anon wanted out of Distant. Frightening and Merciful are based on some other anon's homebrewed metamagic, and were the only two of like 20 or so options that I actually found interesting.
>>
>>55068107
Those are actually pretty good and decently balanced. 10/10 would allow at my table. Although I'd probably still stick with metamagics being static just allow the sorcerer to learn more, start with 3 and get an extra at 10 and 17 in addition to the extra the PHB gives. 5 metamagics out of 14, including yours, at level 10 would be reasonable and give sorcs some needed flexibility with their limited spell selection.
>>
>>55068196
Glad you like them, and I agree that sorcs need a bit more flexibility than they currently have
>>
>>55068196
I think I would blend it and allow sorcerer's to change out a single meta magic at every level like they can choose to do with spells.
>>
>>55068134
I'm diggin'em personally. Strange Spell would be really fun. I cast strange fireball, make a strength save to hold the blast at bay Dragonball Z style!
>>
What's a good name for a baby hook horror?
>>
>>55068290
Sandy

Sandy Hook Horror
>>
>>55068290
Hookling
Hook spook
Baby hook horror
>>
>>55068290
Bubbles
>>
>>55068307
i like you.
>>
What is the price point of 'magic metals' such as Mithral and Adamantine?
Also how large is a 300 gp diamond?
>>
>>55060945
>adventure starts out in a large city
>after years of political tension, an incursion happens and riots break out throughout the city, people are being incited by a group in hopes of political gain
>amidst the chaos, said group also takes over local prison by force and sets free the criminals
>party (lv. 3) is sent to eliminate the convicts that don't surrender and help the guard take back control of the prison
>party encounters wounded guard within, help him back to his feet and allow him to join the party in their mission
>said guard is actually the PC of another player and only stole the outfit from one of the dead guards

Does this sound like a decent introduction of an evil PC into a good party?
>>
>>55066456
that class is some BS
>dat brace up
>brought to half hp? get all your points back!
and i only read up to level 3 and I already hate it.
>>
>>55067856
Nothing beats Subtle spell for #1 metamagic. Never forget
>>
Have you ever ran a game where there were multiple factions the party had the choice of allying with and they chose the shadiest side?
>>
>>55068515
That is what may be happening in my current campaign. One of them is using his clerical powers to run drugs for a huge criminal organization, the rest of the group is slowly getting more and more involved with them as well. They still have their overarching goal, but I guess they just see easy money.
>>
new player here, what's the best class setup to go for if I want to play a plague/disease spreading mad scientist. magical science is fine.
>>
>>55068572

Pretty sure there's a cleric domain for that.
>>
>>55068572
Druid is your best bet I would imagine for genuine disease and stuff.

Death domain clerics are pretty good too.

Could always go Necromancy Wizards?

Maybe there is a Warlock patron that is disease based but I wouldn't know. I guess Papa Nurgle but that's heresy!
>>
Hey /5eg/ is there a list of every transformation aspect that can be dealt out to players from slaad transformation to yuan ti?
>>
>You know whether each creature succeeds or fails on its saving throw.
Zone of truth is bullshit with this
>>
>>55067934
Honestly human ethniciticies don't really matter. They can be whatever the fuck you want b/c it doesn't impact stats.

As for D&D lore, it's a system not a setting. There are TONS of D&D settings. Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, and several more all have their own lore, as well as anything you DM might use.

Ask them.
>>
>>55060980
As long as they don't go out of their way to do it whenever, and just use it as a way to gain information, intel, allies and so on when they have an actual reason to do it, then it should be fine.
>>
How do I effectively use a Succubus against my party? I don't mean in combat, I mean how do I get a Succubus to corrupt (or at least come close to corrupting) one of my players?
>>
>>55069293
They disguise themselves as what you'd imagine the player or the character would love in a woman. The next time they go to the bar or tavern or whatever they will see this woman doing something like sitting alone at a table reading a book, or drinking heavily at the bar, or singing a lovely song. From there it's your imagination.
>>
File: Succubus.jpg (116KB, 743x940px) Image search: [Google]
Succubus.jpg
116KB, 743x940px
>>55069293
first off the player and party shouldn't know that they are dealing with a succubus if they know shes a demon they kill it/ wont trust it

after that i'd say the corruption ought to extend from the demon's abuse of a party member's trust luring them into actions they wouldn't commit otherwise

for example
the succubus is a damsel in distress knight/paladin saves her
damsel has a request that will force a choice
"save my sister from slaving bandits"
maybe there are slaves but no sister party infers death
using death damsel pleads again
and more corrupting choices are put in front of the player

problem is knight/paladin at some point realizes they have done wrong and they will kill the succubus and maybe atone making it just the drama of the session(s) not effecting the corrupted member much more
>>
>>55060984
really underwhelming and somewhat non-sensical
>>
Minor Magical Items

I'm running a low level adventure but I still wanna give my party some weaker but still magical stuff.
So far I have

Magic Token that can cast Faerie Fire once per day and give off light in a small radius

Holy Symbol that increases all Healing from Divine Sources by 1d4 for the wearer

+1 Dagger that makes no noise because cliche

The Bard has the Token, they haven't decided yet on who gets the Holy Symbol, and the Bard currently has the +1 Dagger as well in case he wants to throw it at someone. I have a Cleric, spear wielding Paladin and a Thief that really should have the +1 Dagger but whatever. I want each of them to get a magical item that's not too gamebreaking. Thinking of letting the Thief have some boots that increase his movement speed and give a bonus to sneaking.
Not sure on what I could give the Cleric. He's kinda been exploding everything with Guiding Bolt so he doesn't need more offensive power, but because he is a threat he's also taking a lot of focus in these encounters and has been downed twice.
Would giving the party an item that grants its wearer a bonus on Death Saving Throws be a bit too on the nose?
>>
>>55061279
8 CON gives -1 mod
Lets say a wiz rolls a 1 on his d6
He gets 0 extra max hp that level
>>
>>55068572
Try fuck all because fun fact spreading plague is bad for party adventuring
>>
Running a game on Roll20 but I'm a poorfag and can't pay for assets, where can I find good high quality maps / tiles?
>>
File: DnD_SKT_HekatonPoster-800x480.jpg (90KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
DnD_SKT_HekatonPoster-800x480.jpg
90KB, 800x480px
m'lords... i come with need of aid. im preparing SKT adventure and of the many locations and encounters proposed it seem I'm in dire need of one or two modules with dungeons that contain a lot of environment vs PCs... so dungeons that have more trasp and automated defenses... ruins and such... old giant ruins etc.... can you pls recommend me something like that ?
>>
I'm gonna be making a Champ Fighter/Forge Cleric MC, taking Fell Handed as a feat for first level because I couldn't think of anything else.
Should I go with Defense, Great Weapon Fighting, or Dueling style? I can't quite decide if I want to just use the maul with warhammer/shield as a backup, or the other way around.
>>
>>55061279
Sage advice says that minimum HP you can gain at level-up is 1.
>>
File: warlocks.png (481KB, 461x630px) Image search: [Google]
warlocks.png
481KB, 461x630px
>i summon asmodeus ruler of 9 hells and evil incarnate
>puffofsmoke.jpg
>So mortal, you've decided to sell your soul?
>Acktsually, i just wanted to learn a cantrip

Warlocks don't make sense.
>>
>>55068871
The trick is to succeed and then tell the truth. They will be infinitely more suspect of the information, no matter what it is.
>>
>>55069466
One upside to Tieflings becoming a core race, you can visually describe a succubus that doesn't feel out of place.
>>
>>55068871
Zone of truth is bullshit anyway. Nobody stops you from not telling ALL the truth. Additionally, a creature can be telling what it thinks is the truth about something but not the actual truth-fact.
>>
File: Tiefling blep.png (61KB, 430x355px) Image search: [Google]
Tiefling blep.png
61KB, 430x355px
>>55070235
>I spend years studying the arcane secrets of the planes
>masterandapprentice.png
>Well fledgling wizard, you've studied well; what knowledge do you wish to uncover for the benefit of discovery?
>Acktsually, I just wanted to learn a cantrip

Wizards don't make sense.
>>
>>55070292
>spend years of personal study to master the basic elements of magic
>begin magical carreer with cantrips

vs

>These fooking warlocks! They keep summoning me Asmodeus the most powerful evil in the multiverse to learn cantrips. And i answer them.

Which makes more sense?
>>
>>55070235
>Party hard one day
>Party REALLY fucking hard
>Turns out some fairies or some shit decided they liked my style
>Wake up one day with a note on the dresser saying "Have fun" and discovering I have magic
Or in my character's case, painted really fucking hard. Fey is more fun a concept, this shit's where it's at.
>>
>>55070318
>every warlock in existence who ever tried a contact spell got through, let alone not devoured

Just like all the wizards who devoted their lives to trying and failing to learn magic, Warlocks are a tier above that cultist who gets eaten by whatever he was trying to summon.
>>
>>55070341
>>55070350
The problem with warlocks is that they have no ties with their patrons. It's like going to school.

>yo this teacher taught me cool stuff
>i don't give a fuck about him tho

This may well apply to teachers and less powerful creatures, but an Archfey, Asmodeus or a Great Old One would never bother teaching mortals without some SERIOUS payback.
>>
What do you guys use when you're completely out of ideas for a new arc in your story?
The current arc (which involved recovering stolen magic items for a thieves' guild) is ending faster than I expected, I had an idea where one of the guild members gets arrested and they have to rescue him but still not fleshed out.
Where do you go when you're stuck with the DM's block?
>>
File: Winter Fey Lord.jpg (77KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Winter Fey Lord.jpg
77KB, 1024x1024px
>>55070377
>not having the warlock's patron be a boogieman of sudden requests for off-the-wall quests

I bet you don't even RP the gods with your paladins/clerics, either.
>>
>>55070383
>Where do you go when you're stuck with the DM's block?
/tg/ obvioushly

Do you really have to continue with the guild arc? Why would the party rescue a thief?
>>
>>55070377
Like with my Feylock there, it's more like it was a token of "I like you" with a Fey, who may down the road just go "oh hey buddy, you're a good friend, I'm sure you can help me out with this thing"
Also with the GOO it's commonly depicted that the big guy doesn't even know you're siphoning power from them.
>>
>>55070409
I mean, thing is if the guy gives in and tells the guards/authorities the identities of the PCs they are kinda screwed, or at least they'd have to leave town and go elsewhere.
Because the guy who's been arrested is the one who originally tasked them with finding those items, and those items are so fucking rare that factions (governments pretty much) from across the continent came in town trying to investigate about them
>>
>>55070398
Not a DM but that's cool. However, what happens if the player doesn't want to follow a quest?

>>55070416
Fey are chaotic enough to make more sense for warlocks. Agreed.

>be all powerful Great Old One swimming in the Far Realm
>have transcended mortality and lesser magic
>still an ant can siphon power from you without you noticing
>>
>>55070377
>bother
I would imagine Asmodeus would just set up an algorithm somewhere at the beggining of time and forget about it, and it'd go like: if a mortal does some stupid evil ritual he forfeits his soul to Asmodeus and can tap into some of his power as long as he knows how to; small print: at some point in time mortal's soul shall be sucked out to be assfucked out of existence by pit fiends for the purpose of increasing their morale before battle or whatever.

GOO warlock explicitly has an example of your patron not even knowing about you.
>>
>>55070438
Do you ever shit? Imagine the all powerful Great Old One takes a big fat eldritch shit and GOO warlocks scoop it and bask in it's power. It's like commensalism. The Old One doesn't care about what happens to his shit.
>>
>>55070430
>rescue the guy
>charge party to transport items elsewhere
>everybody will try to get them (buy them, steal them, by force)
>players can be tempted to keep them
>>
>>55070440
>I would imagine Asmodeus would just set up an algorithm somewhere at the beggining of time and forget about it, and it'd go like: if a mortal does some stupid evil ritual he forfeits his soul to Asmodeus and can tap into some of his power as long as he knows how to; small print: at some point in time mortal's soul shall be sucked out to be assfucked out of existence by pit fiends for the purpose of increasing their morale before battle or whatever.
That would actually be ok.

>>55070455
>be GOO
>shitting

Pick one. Because if you don't the same thing can apply for deities. Now you won't have to worship them, just pick up their shit.
>>
File: Micolash host of the nightmare.jpg (801KB, 1280x1387px) Image search: [Google]
Micolash host of the nightmare.jpg
801KB, 1280x1387px
>>55070438
>what happens if the player doesn't want to follow a quest

Depending on the patron, they'll cut the Eldritch Blast juice for a bit, wait, then ask again, or choose something else that they feel the warlock can accomplish. Outside of how crazy the tone or actions might entail, it's fairly similar to what happens if a lawful good deity issues a holy quest for Bright Eyes the Paladin.

As for the GOO stuff, the GOO concept is that it's so massive in its power, so imposing with its intellect, simply shifting in its eternal slumber creates ripples of insanity and, for the keen, warlock juice.
>>
>>55070461
Yeah I anticipated them wanting to do something with them but like the guild that tasked them to recover them straight up said, if you get any funny ideas we'll hunt you down.
Another thing is that there's another rival guild which wants those items i'll make them encounter someone from this guild soon.
Giving them the task to transport the items didn't cross my mind but that could be interesting as well, originally I had in mind that the guy who wanted those items and asked the guild to take them is a young rich bronze dragon which wanted the items because they seemed fun.
I could make them transport them and make them find out the client was a dragon all along as well, with encounters from like the 3 factions that want them as well lul.
>>
>>55070483
Good shit. Although most of /tg/ ass-umes that whatever a warlock has learned are like skills that can't be regulated by their patron. I prefer your style.
>>
>>55070480
>Pick one. Because if you don't the same thing can apply for deities. Now you won't have to worship them, just pick up their shit.
You could argue that's what Celestial warlocks and Favored Soul sorcerers learned to do. And 3.5 Ur-priests. The problem with blatant stealing of divine power is that deities are more aware of what's happening in THEIR world. And GOO doesn't have a rabid clergy probably willing to burn you on a stake for the very thought of siphoning their god's divine energy. Or you can say only GOOs are powerful enough to unconsciously leak power for warlocks to gather, divine gods are too weak for that and they protect every drop of it.
>>
Is charging bullshit in 5e?
>>
What's the best way of separating personal feelings from d&d?
>>
>>55070483
This is not at all what happens in all, or even most cases. The Warlock makes a deal for Eldritch Knowledge, one form of which translates into Knowledge of Spells. It isn't a clerical relationship. You can't unlearn shit, unless the patron very much makes an effort to do so, and nine times out of ten, the Pact has already been fulfilled on the a warlocks end, or the patron works more like a drug enabler, asking only of his Warlock to be himself only with the magical tools necessary to advance his plotting no matter what he chooses
>>
File: Warlock and Patronage 101.png (129KB, 398x142px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock and Patronage 101.png
129KB, 398x142px
>>55070640
Read the book, blackman.
>>
>>55070438
Fey are great. It's just whatever the fuck amuses them.
With how incomprehensibly powerful GOO are depicted as, it's so small as to be insignificant. You don't see those microscopic things that live on you, they don't notice you scraping off some things you're not even using anyways.
>>
Best Warlock subclass?
>>
>>55070666
>"Sometimes" and "like"
>As in, "not the norm"
>As in "a group that that even within itself has dominions in which a God doesn't give a crap if the Cleric is a heretical prick as long as they serve the gods domain"

Yes, a slice of a slice of a slice of warlocks function in ways similar to clerics.
>>
>>55070766
In Ravenloft, the undying, everywhere else, the fey.
>>
>>55070791
And even then, the consequences for breaking faith can't be the same. You don't turn off the Eldritch Blast faucet, the same way you can't turn off the Bard's music sprinkler.
At the most, you can just not let the Warlock take any more Warlock levels.
>>
File: Deus Ex.jpg (7KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
Deus Ex.jpg
7KB, 207x253px
>>55070791
>>55070859
It's as much "sometimes" and "like" as it is when it describes the other methods (literally following that PHB excerpt), which means that none are the norm by your logic. Or, better yet, as much "sometimes" as when I said in >>55070483 that "depending on the patronn, they'll cut the juice off" compared to just "asking to do something else." However, clerics and warlocks being the same was not what I was arguing.. Outside of Mike "not technically errata/ruling" Mearls talking about it in a sage advice as a "they get new powers to keep, but it's up to the DM to rule on the contract and how they can use the powers", it's up to the player/DM since 5e stays away from DM-ham fisting (like how Paladins used to be). With that said, more than power source, the warlock flavor mentions constantly favors, quests, and wants of the patron in relation to the warlock's progression.

Considering this particular reply chain started with Asmodeus anon asking about how patrons would bother caring about every single minor summoning, which later developed into "warlocks have no tie to their patron", which then lead to "warlocks and patrons have plenty of relationship opportunities related to power and the like", which finally lead to you speaking without knowing what was being said.
>>
File: 1491082812415.png (642KB, 1012x862px) Image search: [Google]
1491082812415.png
642KB, 1012x862px
I'm DMing Princes of the Apocalypse for my players. So far so good, I like how the campaing doesn't railroad at all the players, but I'm finding trouble precisely on that.

My players just got to the Spire, and got in in a friendly manner. I guess next game I will try to direct them towards the Stone monastery by petition of the nobles here, or to Rivergard keep by encounters through the valley, but the goblin of the party could even get asked to join the cult. How would you deal with that?

Furthermore, one of the other players took advantage of the party at night and that everyone was hunting the manticore to steal all the gold in the Spire. Just the gold. How should I deal with that? It's obvious, if the cultists were to look for their gold, that one of the party members had to be the thief, as all nobles lost the gold the same night they arrieved. Should I just try to throw them out of the spire and let aarakocras rescue them? That would led them directly towards the Temple of Howling Hatred, tho. And it might even seem like me being butthurt for them stealing gold.
>>
>>55061823
Basketball Clerics are a thing of the past hömbré
>>
>>55070973
Do it, /tg/ just loves to bitch about railroading. It's okay to try to herd the players in a certain direction and it's okay to use certain circumstances to encourage them to proceed to the way you wanted them to go as long as you still give them the option to say no.
What is not okay is leading them to a dungeon where before entering the players decide that they don't want to do it you tell them a giant walks out from it's invisible hiding spot and throws them in, locking the door behind them until they clean it out.
>>
>>55070933
One may discuss what is norm, but I outlined only what *isn't *

And yes, there was a context, but I wasn't picking on previous content, merely expanding on new one
>>
>>55068354
sounds cool
>>
>>55071015
Thing is, they are lvl 3. Not only is the Temple a higher level, it leads to even higher CR dungeons. If they go into the Temple, they might not visit the rest of haunted keeps, and they will get obliterated.
>>
Robe of Scintillating Colors
>>
>>55061556
these are the type of posts that /5eg/ needs
>>
>>55069928
If you're running an official campaign we have all the maps and plenty of tokens in the trove. Have fun!

>>55070119
Dueling. Use them shields m8.
>>
Warlock is great! as a battery for other class
>>
I want to play Paladin / Necromancer Wizard for shenanigan. Is it a terrible idea?
>>
>>55066788

Only if you're with a shit party. My party fucked up my DM's plans for a multiphase bossfight by grappling the caster boss in the area of a silence and effectively gangraping it for 4 rounds until it died.
>>
Our tier 1 adventuer party is being bully by Night Hag's Nightmare Haunting. What can we do against this? Just don't sleep..?
>>
>>55071094

Let them go if they want, but create NPCs who tell them they look poorly suited for the challenges ahead. if they don't take the hint they deserve to get wiped for being retards.
>>
My group of friends all play with just the content from the base DMG/PHP, so none of the extra content you get from expansion books and UA and stuff like that.

Will it be cunty of me to make my next character use all that stuff that my friends don't use?
>>
>>55071485
I'd do that, but only idea i've got in that sense would be of a cultist telling them they don't look strong enough to join the cult. I think they will ignore the advice and press on.

Also, the biggest problem is not in the Howling temple, is that it leads further deep into the other dungeons. This party of CR3 might overcome a CR6 dungeon, but they might try to move deeper and deeper, and inside there are not many NPC's to tell them to move back.
>>
Does anyone have any advice on role playing female and children NPC's? They are my absolute weakness as a DM.

I can talk to them just fine, but talking as them is a wreck and the campaign is lousy with them.
My range varies however between sultry Charismatic scamp, damsel in distress, and barbarian turbo bitch. In a good day, I can do Glinda and Elphaba, but that's it.
>>
>>55071627
>Does anyone have any advice on role playing female and children NPC's?
Just pretend to be retarded
>>
>>55070533
If by bullshit you mean non-existant, yeah. There's the Charger feat which does a good job existing, but not much else. It's niche, just like grappling in general.

>>55070553
Realizing that sometimes, people just wanna do dumb shit without having the consequences carry over into the real world. Leave your feelings at the door, you aren't being yourself when you're at the table, you're being someone else. HOWEVER, don't be a dickass because "muh character". It's a cooperative game and you're there to have an enjoyable time along with everyone else. Group happiness > personal happiness.

>>55071442
You'd be better off just going straight Oathbreaker if I'm correct in assuming that you want to command undead whilst being a warrior yourself. Look at the mechanics, you don't have to necessarily be tied down by flavour. You do need to run it by your DM as it is objectively the superior mechanical option for Paladin oaths.

Wizard and Paladin don't mesh well together because of MAD, not to mention taking a drop in HP isn't the best choice. The 6th-level feature is dank as hell for Necromancy, but that's a hell of a multiclass. There's a shit-ton of synergy once you're all 7th level if you have a Necromancer in the party though, so if another player wants to do either of those, you should jump on that.
>>
>>55071639
I mean I could also go War Cleric if I don't want that delicious Undead Thralls bonus (even better with Inspiring Leader)
>>
>>55071442
Pretty MAD (less so if you do dexadin, but you still need DEX, CON, INT, and CHA), but it ensures that you have plenty of survivability in melee if you have to while your minions do all the fighting.

What level is the game you're in starting at? That'll determine your effectiveness for a while.

It has decent flavor—an oath of vengeance pally and a necromancer wizard would go well together.
>>
>>55071532
I would say run it by your DM first just to be sure.

But as long as you aren't multiclassing UA, nah. You're using what you have available.
>>
>>55071698
You still need 13 STR to multiclass out of paladin. Dexadin make it worst.
>>
>>55071730
Oh shit, that's true. Nevermind then.
>>
File: file.png (210KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
210KB, 2000x2000px
>Found a group for a STK campaign on /r/lfg
>We are talking on discord
>one of the dudes starts talking about how his character
>he saw his mother being raped and now is super violent
>he is constantly talking about how he will make "blood angels"
>apparently it is when you rip someone's rib cage from their back
>a couple days pass
>he says he made a drawing of his PC
>allofmywhat.jpg

how fucked am I?
>>
>>55071781
Perhaps he meant blood eagles? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle

Also to answer your question, it seems like AbandonShip/10.
>>
>>55071805
yeah, blood eagles, my bad
>>
>>55071817
>>55071817
>>55071817
>>55071817
>>55071817
new thread
>>
>>55071781
Run
>>
>>55071670
Inspiring Leader keys off of CHA, so it works much better if you're a Paladin or Warlock/Sorcerer. Try asking your DM if you can use the Oathbreaker, it's definitely what you're looking for.
>>
>>55071634
Can't. I already have to Role-play an entire tribe of retarded people who got their brain juices sucked by aboleth
>>
>>55071827
CHA on Inspiring Leadership is only 1-2 extra hp above minimum multiclass requirement. The real gem is + your character level hp
Thread posts: 384
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.