[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nechronica -The Long Long Sequel-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 268
Thread images: 103

File: 1501558934829.jpg (230KB, 700x1011px) Image search: [Google]
1501558934829.jpg
230KB, 700x1011px
It's been a while since we had a thread for this dark but brilliant gem of a game.

Nechronica is a strange, post-apocalyptic sci-fantasy. You are a "doll", a weapon maiden resurrected from an ordinary person (or ordinary people...) by the "Necromancers" who now rule the extinct Earth. You are cursed to wander the wasteland, desperately seeking survival, and memories of who you were in your past life. Suffering and madness are around every corner, all for the amusement of your insane, demiurgic creators.

The best aspect of this game, is its' emphasis on emotional vulnerability. Your characters are not badasses, even though they can grow quite strong by mutating and devouring their enemies. You are innocent and fragile at heart, and you must rely on your "sisters" in order to soothe your "madness" and suffering. Emotional bonding and character development are mandatory, or you'll quickly lose your mind and become another grotesque beast, stalking the horizon.

Mechanically, it's a very fastpaced game. Easy to jump in. Extremely fun and tactical battle system. My group is currently working on translating and re-translating the book, along with some original JP fan-splats:

https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

If you're searching for a group for this wonderful little game, we have a number of gm's who'd like to start, as well!

Nechronica is the best role playing experience I've ever had. If you want something gruesome, shocking, and beautifully bittersweet, I highly recommend it!
>>
In before claims of pedophilia, necrophilia, etc.
>>
>>54972376
Got any archives of combat?
>>
File: d4f.gif (970KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
d4f.gif
970KB, 500x281px
We've been trundling along with translations and we've made great progress so far. We've translated the entire system as well as Japanese fan-made classes and reinforcements. Currently working on the offical scenarios.
>>
>>54972376
Anime faggotry aside this sounds like a legitimately good premise
>>
Is there any synergy between gothic/baroque?
>>
>>54972647

It's one of the most straightforward and effective class combos.
>>
>>54972376
>https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
It says the wiki is 18+? What should I expect, I don't wanna stumble onto weird Japanese depravity
>>
File: 1455475596560.jpg (218KB, 942x1048px) Image search: [Google]
1455475596560.jpg
218KB, 942x1048px
>>54972688
There's nothing *too* questionable there, but some of the class/position pictures might raise a brow. Nothing stronger than seeing mutant/zombie girls.
>>
File: 62987404_p0_master1200.jpg (398KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
62987404_p0_master1200.jpg
398KB, 640x640px
>>54972688
>>54972762
Nechronica in general is not meant for the faint of heart. Or more accurately, it's made to yank around the hearts of the sensitive.

The whole combat system is based on strategic dismemberment, mutation, and bodily chaos. When an aberration bites you, it doesn't take off 5 hp: it takes off your arm in a splatter of gore.
>>
File: 57110221_p26.jpg (496KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
57110221_p26.jpg
496KB, 500x666px
>>54972505
I'm shambling together a game for my own tabletop group using it, so I'm grateful for all the work you put in
I'll have fun at their expenses with Jacker, so it's nice I managed to start planning in time for Prosperous Electronica to be translated

>>54972821
Oh, this is a nice artist. I'm still strapped for art sources
>>
>>54972821
>When an aberration bites you, it doesn't take off 5 hp: it takes off your arm in a splatter of gore.
I've wondered how much of the feel of the game would be lost if I tried to fluff them as wooden dolls, to make it easier to stomach. It's not a perfect solution but for things like bodily harm and damage at least.
I know for sure some of the people I have in mind could handle it as is, but I don't want to go too far and turn off the others.
>>
>>54972376
Im down to give this a try if you want to set up a lobby on roll20 or someshit.
>>
>>54973077
Make them toy dolls. Broken and forgotten. Something like grim Toy Story.
>>
>>54972667
But is it more suited to eating damage or dealing it? Either class has special skills that you miss out on if you multiclass, like reinforcement part regeneration or nullifying special effects
>>
>>54973077
A lot of players like to use cyborg or mech dolls, which the game encourages via the Enhancement tree. Wood should be fine.

IIRC, the original setting (and some developer interviews) suggest that (most...) dolls have extremely lowered sense of pain. Otherwise they'd have no chance to fight effectively.

So what's more important IMO, is the general sense of body horror and emotional trauma, then physical pain. So go nuts how you fluff stuff!

In general, I'd say that Nechronica should either be Grimdark, or Nobledark, depending on your GM and Players. It can either be a slow trudge into the abyss, or there can be a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe you're turning into monsters, or maybe you can become a point of light in the darkness. Players shouldn't know which, I think...all the more tension!

>>54972895
Thanks! I have a big collection of inspirational art for this game. I'll try to continue dumping as I post.

Some friends and I did a one-shot of Prosperous Electronicha on friday. Balance is a bit wonky: a 0 favor Altruist managed to support my Lone Wolf with +10 to a crit...3 times! Crazy high powered stuff.

>>54972465

It's kinda hard for me to dig up an archive from our own group, since we do it on a combination of Discord (two channels, one for in and out of character talk) and a google docs image for the battle map.

Here's some guides and examples from the wiki though (incomplete):

https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Combat_Resolution_Guide

https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Combat_Examples

https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Replay:_Flowers_of_Hope_after_the_End_of_the_World

^^^old as fuck replay from the official book. Warning: contains outdated mechanics.
>>
File: 9_wallpaper.jpg (235KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
9_wallpaper.jpg
235KB, 1920x1080px
>>54972451
Thing is, you can refluff this game so easily to just be corpses of any size that it's a moot point on the first.

>>54973155
>>54973077
Ever see 9? Just do that if you want to remove the gore but keep the horror.
>>
>>54973276
>A lot of players like to use cyborg or mech dolls, which the game encourages via the Enhancement tree.
Mechronica must be stopped.
>>
>>54973276
>A lot of players like to use cyborg or mech dolls
Wasn't the Nechronica system used for a Medabots game? It's really a perfect fix.
>>
>>54973334
It was. The whole structure system and parts lends itself well to mecha-like combat.
>>
>>54973316
I actually really like the pseudo-elemental trinity present in the game, between the three upgrade trees.

You got your traditional zombies. You got your biomechanical mutants. And you got your mechs.

It's an interesting and varied dynamic! And you can play with it in some neat ways in your setting/lore.
>>
>>54973155
I'd thought about that, a discarded toy idea felt like it could mesh well with the kind of setting Nechronica lends itself to.

>>54973276
Ah, those do fit more thanks to the enhancements, those are better ideas
>a slow trudge into the abyss, or there can be a light at the end of the tunnel
It's themes like this that have me so drawn to it, seeing if they have the will to keep going on, even if it gets just a bit harder after every fight, or every point of madness they take.
>>
>>54973334
On that vein, I'm using it to run a sort of castlevania-esque setting. Basically a thousand year war between dracula and humanity, and the dolls are the final, last ditch weapon created against the hordes of darkness. If you're interested, get in touch via discord @ AC Giant Dad#7387
>>
>>54973243

A little of both. Super Strength + Rip and tear lets your fist be fairly effective for dealing damage and Feast of Flesh is a great ability that makes you harder to permanently put down since you can just regenerate your fist when they get damaged.
>>
File: the-hooker-joke-photo-u1.jpg (25KB, 650x353px) Image search: [Google]
the-hooker-joke-photo-u1.jpg
25KB, 650x353px
>>54973472
Yeah, basically that part of the movie.
>>
>>54973475
Oh I forgot to mention day/time. Looking to run on Fridays at around 1100 GMT-6
>>
>>54973548
This pic does look like a Nech group doesn't it
>>
>>54973334
>>54973371
I've run the system multiple times and it really does lend itself well to Mecha and Robot themes. You can easily refluff a lot of the parts and it works fine.

I ran one where everyone was the Maintenance Bots in a town falling apart and abandoned by humanity. Game starts with them doing the same things they've been doing for ages when a distress signal gets picked up by them.

They have to drop everything they are doing to save someone. It ended up with them "Repairing" and "Upgrading" themselves along the way to the point they couldn't be recognized at the Bots they were originally and finding a radio tower broadcasting the signal.

The signal was from space so the game ended with them all looking up at the stars and then broadcasting one message, [WE HEAR YOU. WE ARE COMING FOR YOU. WE WILL FIND YOU.]

Was a good game. Sadly the 2nd part of them trying to get to space never came about. Would of been fun watching them try to get there and stuff. Really started getting an Eclipse Phase feel towards the end.
>>
File: Best Waifu.jpg (84KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
Best Waifu.jpg
84KB, 800x900px
I wonder how well this could be refluffed to play Near A Tomato as a TTRPG
>>
>>54973917
i mean, it already kind of is a nechronica setting if you think about it so it should be pretty straightforward
>>
>>54973475
Not that anon but afaik you cant find people by their id's on discord, you may want to set-up a channel for people to find you.
>>
>>54973806

>Sadly the 2nd part of them trying to get to space never came about.

Currently have two games running. One had the players finding out they weren't on earth and then having to escape on a ship from an anti-undead weapon that might have broken out of containment due to their actions. They are currently trapped on a space station and trying to devise a way to get their ship out.

The second one just last session had the players taking a shuttle and having a not so clean landing on the moon. They came up to find a base of what may be the last of humanity left alive and a necromancer already beat them there. Due to the poor landing, they have to make their way to the base before the space suits they have are compromised and their muscles freeze, leaving them immobilized on the lunar surface.
>>
>>54973472
>t's themes like this that have me so drawn to it, seeing if they have the will to keep going on, even if it gets just a bit harder after every fight, or every point of madness they take.

Nech is a GREAT setting and system for this. If you love hard won happy endings, surreal sci-fantasy adventures, weaponized body horror, and lovable characters. It's the game for you!

>>54973917
>>54973940

Automata is probably the closest we'll ever get to a Nech video game.
>>
File: 1479707859660.jpg (131KB, 657x847px) Image search: [Google]
1479707859660.jpg
131KB, 657x847px
>>54972376
I made my first full campaigne as GM in a local rpg club 3 years ago. I were really worried about how they would recieved it. Surprisingly, they enjoyed it. Of 5 players, only one was weeb-friendly. I changed the girl only part (fo' fuck sake, "boy" is a mutation in character creation) and kept the character under their 20's.
As always drama can be hard at first but the relation lin system help a lot to make them care about what their characters feels of each others. When they played the child part well, tragedy work the better. It offer some good comedy opportunity too. The battle where fun but my lack of experiences and material for enemy made them long and clunky for time to time. I found the memory shard mechanic hard to used as GM, but it's probably made to let the player create their past themself.

I translated all the english fan trad in french for the occasion. All my work burned in my old hd but I would love to jump in for more if new matrerial are translated in english.
>>
>>54974243
go to "add friend" and you should be able to
>>
>>54974337
>As always drama can be hard at first but the relation lin system help a lot to make them care about what their characters feels of each others. When they played the child part well, tragedy work the better. It offer some good comedy opportunity too.

Yup. With Nech, you can rapid fire mix action, horror, black comedy, and intense feels. It's very unique tonally. I love it.

>The battle where fun but my lack of experiences and material for enemy made them long and clunky for time to ti

Ha ha, yeah. This is my experience too. The first battle I made was an overlong mess. Once you get the hang of proper balancing though, it's an intense, tactical joy.

>All my work burned in my old hd but I would love to jump in for more if new matrerial are translated in english.

Take a look at the wiki! Our GM is putting a lot of work into english translations, both for the original game, and new japanese fan works.
>>
>>54974337
Well done for translating it into French. There's now a whole slew of new stuff both offical and fan made from eastern and western players.

Memory Fragments are great tools for players new and experienced. One hurdle I've seen with RPGS is for people to come up with backstories. Nechronica can do that with a simple roll of a dice and even then it's up to the player to either unearth their past or just embrace the nightmarish present.
>>
>>54974337

>The battle where fun but my lack of experiences and material for enemy made them long and clunky for time to time.

It's a lot of fun when you figure out how to make things, as a GM. There's an english fan splat on the wiki that might have useful advice for that sort of thing.

>I found the memory shard mechanic hard to used as GM, but it's probably made to let the player create their past themself.

The players have freedom, with GM approval, to make their own memory fragments, but the rest is supposed to be on the GM. It's a literal journey of self-discovery with even the players themselves possibly being surprised by what they find.
>>
>>54973243
The Baroque special skill is attacked location shifting.
>>
>>54974260
Oh man, that sounds fun. Thats kinda what I had in mind.

The other fun one was where the group of 5 all came to my game prepared and literally fought their way out of hell.

I made up a Purgatory game where they were Lost Souls and had to fight their way out of the Hells through the 13 layers to pass on to the Afterlife.

They gamed the hell out of the system and came in having planned stuff before hand. They all said they were a WW2 Platoon and I rolled with it. Didn't realize they had all rolled up double Requiums with varied Positions and someone went the Platoon Leader as a Sorority. Abused the hell out of the Order command to make them all attack multiple times a round.

They were a well oiled machine all equipped with rocket launchers, MGs, Grenades, Anti Tank Rifles, a Flamethrower, ect. They had planned it out amazingly well and passed the session amazingly.

Best part? They fight there way to the last layer of Hell. Literally beat the End Boss and are ready to pass through the Gates and someone goes, "Wait? Wheres B Company?"

Group just shrugs, say they reload and turn back around. "No man left behind. Back into the breach, Boys."

Was the perfect way to end the session. My group tends to love dramatic flairs like that and I love them for it.
>>
>>54974451
>>54974538

At first glance I see enemy part and memory part where added. Did I miss something else?
>>
>>54974749
Absolutely everything has been re-translated and upgraded with the latest errata from the offical website. There were significant errors in the original TLwiki translation that have now been addressed.

There's now all the sample enemies from the corebook and more enemy parts too.
>>
File: 1477371750182.jpg (126KB, 1280x1811px) Image search: [Google]
1477371750182.jpg
126KB, 1280x1811px
>>54974451
Nice! I will work with that. Thank.

>>54974807
Blessed be your GM for his hard work!
>>
>Shotgun, Wire Reel, Dynamite
What else could I use for a cowboy
>>
>>54975496
twin pistols, sniper rifle (dat winchester)

Depending on how human you want them to look, there's some fun things you could do in the mut tree too
>>
>>54975496

The Gun-kata skill for when you want to make your opponent dance. Hand Cannon's also a possibility, though for either Hand Cannon or sniper rifle to work, you need instrument of Evil. You could also do undead gun instead of Dynamite (fluffed as a coach gun)
>>
>>54975496
>>54975590
just for example, a cowboy's got his horse, so you could do animal legs, and they're eternally linked to their ride. Meat snake could be like the lasso's fused with their body and grown a mouth, Extra Head could be their hat gaining sentience
>>
File: 1501558438690.jpg (1MB, 1100x787px) Image search: [Google]
1501558438690.jpg
1MB, 1100x787px
>>54976345
Extra Head for the horse head!

You could do a weird and fun arc as they slowly get their ride back, by growing it back, heh.

Nech thrives on this sort of morbid creativity.
>>
>>54974660
>"Wait? Wheres B Company?"
tell your players they made me cry
>>
File: Two-thumbs-up__44.jpg (42KB, 620x455px) Image search: [Google]
Two-thumbs-up__44.jpg
42KB, 620x455px
>>54974660
Ya dun good.
>>
Drama of Death
>"When you and another Sister target an enemy with Attack Maneuvers, you may add +1 to the die roll for your Attack Check and +1 to your Damage."
So does this work if you're both on different counts (8 and 9) and decide to attack the same one? Do they need to attack first for you to get the bonus?
>>
File: 1501558266387.jpg (415KB, 733x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1501558266387.jpg
415KB, 733x1000px
>>54977221
You always need to be on the same count for Drama to work.

It's a very fun and effective skill. Extremely recommended for damage dealers.

>>54977145
Seconded.
>>
>>54977221

Always has to be the same count, and according to errata, someone has to have declared the attack before the drama of death user, so you can't have two Drama of Death users trigger it by attack the same target together. If you ever thought spine was unnecessary, Drama of Death will make you appreciate it.
>>
>>54978108
Actually, speaking of that how do people handle stuff happening on the same count? I've had five players and monsters all have to act on the same count and it's a huge hassle to work out.
>>
>>54978706

The counts work is that there's a declaration phase and then a resolution phase:
Enemies Declare>Players Declare
With rapids being declared as relevant
Then for processing it goes
Rapids (From last declared to first)>Players resolve>Enemies resolve
Making a list of declared stuff can be helpful if you worry about losing track.

Just remember, unless it's a rapid, it counts as all happening at the same time, so broken parts broken during the count can still be used until the end of the round, unless it was broken by a rapid.
>>
File: 1501559698329.jpg (286KB, 555x832px) Image search: [Google]
1501559698329.jpg
286KB, 555x832px
Time for some nech art
>>
File: pid_48366451_p54.png (736KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
pid_48366451_p54.png
736KB, 700x990px
2/?
>>
>>
File: 1501559655271.jpg (182KB, 1068x1332px) Image search: [Google]
1501559655271.jpg
182KB, 1068x1332px
>>54979220
>>
can somebody upload some game-play or something, I'm having trouble fully parsing all of the rules. like whether or not the dolls get to pick what part they target with attacks etc. Many little things like this that i either am blind to or the translation just doesn't elaborate on.
>>
>>54974660
I wish my players could be half as awesome as this.
You should be proud of them.
>>
>>54972376
You have me interested, this sounds like an awesome game.
>>
>>54979409
well if you wanna at least check it out, see
>>54973475
>>
File: 29955936.png (2MB, 1112x1587px) Image search: [Google]
29955936.png
2MB, 1112x1587px
Here is the answer to your question
https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Combat,_Karma,_and_Favor#Attack_Checks

>>54979193
It is always time for nech art.
Also does anyone have good art of undead knights?
>>
File: 1467045153824.png (3MB, 1414x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1467045153824.png
3MB, 1414x2000px
>>
>>54979433
Thanks anon
>>
>>54973475
Sent a request
>>
File: 1500397614894_1.jpg (66KB, 604x457px) Image search: [Google]
1500397614894_1.jpg
66KB, 604x457px
>>54979573
>>
File: 1501558370878.jpg (199KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1501558370878.jpg
199KB, 700x700px
>>54979966
Bwah! Love that one! Perfect Horror concept.

Another thing to love about this game, is that designing enemy abilities is very fun and easy. Balancing takes some getting used to, but you can create almost any kind of bio, mecha, or undead horror (and their assorted powers) fairly easy with Nechronica's system.
>>
File: 131567835986.jpg (2MB, 2000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
131567835986.jpg
2MB, 2000x2500px
>>54979490
undead knights like this?
>>
File: Mazeran20.png (102KB, 361x266px) Image search: [Google]
Mazeran20.png
102KB, 361x266px
>>54979490
>>54980513
>>
>>54979290
BATTLEFIELD:
Limbo - Patches (AP 12), Boar (AP 9)

COUNT 12:
Patches will attack Boar with Metal Bar [Timing: Action/AP Cost: 3/Range: 0] - Melee Attack 2. Add +1 to the die roll of the Attack Check. The Boar may declare in response, but it doesn't have any Parts with the "Rapid" Timing, so Patches rolls to attack:
>1d10 (5+1) = 6. A 6 is the minimum required to hit, so Patches should hit with this.
We are now in Check timing, as Patches attacked but has not done damage yet. The Boat responds to this with Foot [Timing: Check/AP Cost: 1/Range: 0] - Hinder 1. "Hinder" 1 means to lower the result of the check by 1. Patches' check is now 6 - 1 = 5, or a miss. In response to Foot, Patches uses Arm [Timing: Action/AP Cost: 1/Range: 0] - Support 1. "Support" 1 means to increase the result of a check by 1. Patches' check is now 6 - 1 + 1 = 6, which is a hit.
Both Patches and the Boar lower their Count tokens. The Boar goes to 8 (9 - 1 (Foot) = 8), while Patches goes to 8 (12 - 3 (Metal Bar) - 1 (Arm) = 8).

COUNT 11-9: Nothing happens.

COUNT 8: The Boar declares first. It will attack Patches with Flesh Whip [Timing: Action/AP Cost: 3/Range: 0~1] - Unarmed Attack 2 + Chain Attack 1. Patches declares that she will attack with Metal Bar again. Patches resolves first, then the Boar.
>1d10 (10+1) = 11. Patches will hit, and as it is a critical hit (11+), she will do one extra damage.
Patches deals three damage to the Boar. The Necromancer decides to destroy its Foot, as it isn't useful anymore, and both of its Entrails parts. The Boar now rolls:
>1d10 (8) = 8. The Boar will hit.
Patches doesn't have any response, so she will take two damage to the Torso (see https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Combat,_Karma,_and_Favor#Attack_Checks). Patches breaks both Entrails. As the hit was successful, the Chain Attack 1 property comes into effect and the Boar attacks again:
>1d10 (5) = 5. The Boar will not hit.

And the combat will continue. Any specific questions?
>>
>>54973276
Even though they're old they'll still help.
>>
Anybody else think this would make a great video game?
>>
>>54979290
The hitzone is decided by the dice.
It works something like this:
>enemy attacks doll
>rolls to hit
>result of 6 hits area of doll's choice, 7 hits legs, 8 hits torso, 9 hits arms, 10 hits head, 11+ is a crit, attacker picks hitzone
This works the same with anything sorted into legs/torso/arms/head, horror and legion enemies are treated as having just one hitzone.
>>
>>54973303
If you ever do that you forever carry the stain of normalfag in your heart, though. Dolls are lolis or it's just not nechronica.
>>
>>54982193
It would, although I think you'd need to be clever to work in both the emotional elements, and the "tactical dismemberment" of combat within a traditional hack and slash mold.

NieR Automata is probably pretty close on the former count. Metal Gear Rising has elements of the latter.
>>
>>54982200
i meant the specific part that destroyed, sorry
>>
>>54974280
>Automata is probably the closest we'll ever get to a Nech video game.

>TFW you will never have a strategy game in which you can freely mod your cyborg zombie lolis from the baseline corpse.
>>
>>54982828
If everyone thought like you, there would be no video games at all.
No matter the game, someone's put in an effort and done something to make it, which is more than you can say.
Everyone starts somewhere, no matter if that's Game Design 101. If people like you sit and complain about how their games aren't being made for them, we're looking at a future with only Madden and Deer Hunting Simulator.
It's not like the universe has a clearly allocated quota of Chosen Ones who're blessed from birth with the Sign of the Game-Maker.
It's a matter of how hard you're willing to try. Right now, the people who make Madden are working harder than you, and all because you like to put walls between wanting and having something.
Sure, the end result might take some working on, but at the very least you'll have tried and created something that other people can enjoy instead of making yourself miserable and never accomplishing anything of note.
>>
Nechronica is great. If played well it can be very emotional and engaging, since the relationship between characters plays a major part in the game, and the combat system is very unique (rather than abstract hit points you lose body parts when you take damage; it's the only game I've seen where getting your guts ripped out is a minor inconvenience).
Plus I find it funny that there's a game where "I'm going to play a gore-vore-yuri-loli-zombie" is perfectly ordinary occurrence, along the lines of "I'm going to play a male human fighter" in DnD.

>>54982271
Even in the rules the randomly rolled age for Dolls can be all the way to 17, which isn't really a loli anymore. However, the characters being childlike and emotionally vulnerable is a big part of the game.
>>
File: 1498323449777.jpg (890KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1498323449777.jpg
890KB, 900x1200px
>>
File: 1498348259358.jpg (238KB, 1000x833px) Image search: [Google]
1498348259358.jpg
238KB, 1000x833px
>>
File: 1499045501611.jpg (745KB, 1157x1637px) Image search: [Google]
1499045501611.jpg
745KB, 1157x1637px
>>
File: 1500105606184.jpg (379KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1500105606184.jpg
379KB, 724x1024px
>>
File: 1498347329654.jpg (369KB, 1042x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1498347329654.jpg
369KB, 1042x1200px
>>
>>54972376
Huh, love the aesthetics but don't know what to think about the rules.

You think i could run this with a generic rpg like gurps or risus?
>>
>>54983289
The rules are what really make it unique from every other game system I've seen out there. It's really worth trying to understand them. Off the top of my head, most rpg rules might struggle or become very clunky trying to track body part damage.

Another point is that in Nechronica your inventory, health and skills are all roughly the same thing. As body parts are crippled or torn off, your actions become more and more limited.
>>
File: IMG_20170810_224637.png (233KB, 468x462px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170810_224637.png
233KB, 468x462px
>Tfw running a Nechronica Quest.
>>
>>54983289
>>54983348

In terms of rules and mechanics, there's two sides to Nech:

Combat and Non-Combat.

Combat takes place on a battle map, has very unique, tight, and well crafted rules for how things proceed, and is overall very challenging, tactical, and fun.

Outside of combat, Nech is comparatively rules lite.There's an extremely simple system for checks, and that's about it. Anything else is up to your gm's creativity.

Overall it's a very fast paced, easy to jump into game. Combat is the only part with a learning curve, the rest is all role playing and logical thinking.
>>
>>54983368

Link?
>>
>>54982943
>If everyone thought like you, there would be no video games at all.

>TFW
Generally are only half serious. And I'm working on fixing the lack of Tank Witches right now, so I do work on making stuff I like real already.
>>
>>54983538
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Doll%20Quest%20Redux
>>
>>54983538
That's Dollmaker. His quests tend to be rich in suffering.
It's more of a Nechronica setting than mechanics wise, but last quest he did showed part changing was definitely a thing when we attached the cut off arm of a Requiem savant in place of the one she shot off

The arm then tried to strangle us until we got it under control a bit
>>
>>54984003
>>54983368
Interesting! I'll have a read.
>>
>>54982271
>Dolls are lolis or it's just not nechronica.
Honestly never been too invested in that aspect of the game. Not because of any prudish reasons, but because it feels limiting. Why would there only be zombie little girls and why should I force my players (and maybe some day myself) to play as them?
>>
>>54985999
I'm not a fan of it myself either, but I do feel like at the very least the dolls should have young souls, because a big part of the game is how does someone so innocent handle something so horrible
>>
>>54986053
>>54985999
That is a big part of the game. It shouldn't really be about big burly chaos space marine types having a whale of a time tearing apart ungodly horrors and marvelling at their chainsaw hands and sentient organs trying to escape 24/7.

The characters should have a sense of weakness, of vulnerability. The average Nechronica character might not even know how to cook her own dinner, let alone survive in a surreal Nightmare realm. As long as there is that fragility, the sense of being a normal person caught up in an awful, awful situation, then it could work. The dolls themselves are more or less metaphors for innocence in a world that has none. It can be done with adult characters, but there's no denying that the effect the game is aiming for is diminished somewhat.
>>
>>54986209
>It shouldn't really be about big burly chaos space marine types
It's more about letting my players pick older bodies if they choose too. Even the rules substantiate it. And from what I've been reading the concept of innocence can still apply too even an older one since amnesia and fragments or memories are at play here. I have no bones with undead lolis but I think you're over-selling how much being 5 matters in a campaign about broken humans facing the horrors of a post-apoc nightmare.

Plus since the game is about group dynamics you can have more variety in contextualizing your bonds and fetters if you open the age range up to it's fullest. (rules say 17). You can play with the usual conventions and have the physically older doll be the "little sister" to a much younger looking doll. Maybe that's because the latter has the soul of a mother stitched in there, maybe it's because the souls residing in the older doll is just as young as the child?

And if the group wants to play just adult frames, the rules don't give them any bonuses to that. They are still just as durable as a child frame right? It's all just fluff and all the other rules like madness still apply.
>>
>>54986394
Yeah you can do whatever you want with their body you so you can make it look downright inhuman if you want, the important thing is that you capture that emotional vulnerability
>>
>>54985999
Others have stated the need for vulnerability, but I'll just add on that it isn't so bad in terms of physicality: you can play as 16-17, which is basically young adult. I personally feel I have enough wiggle room, age wise.

I think full grown adults would look kinda weird, given the tone and theme. I made one savant that's like 20 (appearance wise), but she's kind of a special case.

It's workable though, just need to be careful. Above all else, you don't want someone who knows what their doing. They should barely know how to make their own dinner.
>>
File: 1446328738576.jpg (23KB, 320x449px) Image search: [Google]
1446328738576.jpg
23KB, 320x449px
>>54988400
>They should barely know how to make their own dinner.
Well, unless they're a Gothic. Then it's pretty straightforward.
>>
>>54988513
Hey, just because they're cannibals doesn't mean they're animals!
>>
>>54988513
But who wants cold meat?
>>
>>54972376
I'm interested in playing, where do i sign up?
>>
>>54990718
See this. Im not sure if he has enough players yet though.

>>54973475
>>
For those of you who are interested, there is an ongoing open world game of Nechronica with a Drop in/out style of gameplay to suit the needs of the player. We also host one shots as well for people wanting a simple fire and forget session.

We also have multiple GMs, running on US/EU/AUS times. If you'll like to be a part of this, please message on Discord @ Rakaras#7948
>>
Giant Dad here, not taking any more players for a bit, check out >>54992132
if you're interested in playing. Still room for spectators though
>>
A question about how Rapid Timing works with the Extra Arm/Hand of Death Maneuver:

If I do an attack maneuver, can I then declare a response to my own attack with Extra Arm/Hand of Death to immediately perform a second attack with Rapid Timing?
>>
>>54993137
Yes, you can perform a double attack on the same count with rapids.

I *think* that the "rapid" will (in game time) come before the original attack, but I think you're allowed to declare a rapid after resolving your attack. Don't quote me on that though.

I enjoy Extra Arm the most for the sheer utility it gives. Using it to move out of the way of a powerful melee attack, before it connects, can be a godsend.

Rapids are a super fun mechanic. Very situational, but you can do amazingly fun things with them.
>>
>>54994057

So, does that mean the following shenanigans would work? Attack Maneuver, followed by Extra Arm letting me use a Rapid Attack Maneuver, followed by (assuming at least one attack hits) using the Gothic Skill Delight in Corruption to use Extra Arm a SECOND time. That would give you three attacks on the same count, right? completely excessive, yes, but potentially useful if you need to hit something really hard, really fast...
>>
>>54994219

Delight in corruption is damage timing, so you can't trigger it until you hit and by then it's too late to declare rapids for that count.
>>
File: Robot Eye Injury.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Robot Eye Injury.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
What is the best way to go full gundam? Light Saber seems nice and Pulse Laser could function, but are there any shields aside from coffin/cyborg?
>>
>>54995542

Darn. Well, It'll let me refresh Extra Arm to get another double attack later in the round, then.
>>
>>54995589
You could use Armor plating like an i-field/Primal Armor
>>
File: 1501559301142.jpg (318KB, 850x1206px) Image search: [Google]
1501559301142.jpg
318KB, 850x1206px
>>54995589
Gauntlet could be fluffed as a shield attached to your arm, since it gives +1 to defends on that region.

Our GM lets us fluff parts how we like, to fit our characters aesthetics. Just as long as its reasonable. For example, I have Extra Head fluffed as an embedded head crystal/biocomputer. I also fluffed Extra Arm as my characters arms literally splitting apart to form multiple limbs when needed.

Baroque is love.
>>
>>54973917

That's not A2.
>>
>>54995589
some other useful parts for the 'mecha' aesthetic. Extra Eyes if you want to go with an AC4/AC4A style multieye system, there's also rocket pack for boosters, rocket racks for pretty self explanatory reasons, and auto-separate is another great one because of how all the parts go together modularly
>>
Alright so after looking at an example I think I may have been overcomplicating things.
>Have 14 AP so I attack on Count 14
>use Sabertooth, bumped down to 12 AP
>can attack again on Counter 12 and so on and so on
That about right?
>>
>>54998767
Yep. If an enemy uses something and you counter with a rapid for 2 AP, you get bumped down to 10, which is when you take your next turn. Maybe you get his and defend, but that costs 1 AP, so you're down to 9 before you can act.
>>
>>54998843
I meant count on that second part and I've got no rapids or counters, just that, spikes and remote attack which I need to refresh my memory on.
>>
>>
File: 1479677462216.jpg (141KB, 1139x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1479677462216.jpg
141KB, 1139x1600px
>>
>>55000788
Perfect example of a doll
>>
File: ff.jpg (401KB, 555x782px) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
401KB, 555x782px
>>54972376
I like a lot of the ideas behind Nechronica, but there are a bunch of things that does not sit well for me.
For instance, the fact that the combat is extremely confined by the limitations of the rules. The only possible actions are using parts for very specific effects, and all battlefields are unified in a strict area-bound system. I understand the need to give limitations to features of the game, especially since having damaged parts directly impacts the range of actions you can take, but the battle mechanics feels so disconnected to roleplaying for me.
Likewise, there is a lot of focus on tactical combat, but because of the way combat works, there is extremely limited advantage to strategy and planning before fighting monsters, which is only accentuated by the fact that "combat is inevitable". Or at least it is not explained in any of the rules translated as of yet. Of course I guess a DM can houserule some mechanics on how to prepare an explosive trap or attacking from an unattainable height, but Rule 0 is not an excuse for lacking rules.

Maybe I just have a bad case of "play it before criticizing" but Nechronica really feels like it's missing important stuff.
>>
>>55004346
Have you played bravely default? That's almost what the combat resembles with it's AP system.
>>
I think I like that the combat is divorced from the RP and relatively simple. Most systems get really bogged because they don't handle positioning very well.
>>
>>55004346
>For instance, the fact that the combat is extremely confined by the limitations of the rules. The only possible actions are using parts for very specific effects, and all battlefields are unified in a strict area-bound system.

This works to the game's advantage as it means you know what you can do with minimal muss and fuss.

>the battle mechanics feels so disconnected to roleplaying for me.
You're all kids caught in a shitty situation facing horrible monsters, most of the time the only things you can do, logically, in this situation is the horrific things stuck to your body.

>there is extremely limited advantage to strategy and planning before fighting monsters

The thematic focus is on kids in horrible place, not operators. Another part of the reason for this is it's also Jap game where they only have like 3 hours once a week where they can play so they don't need all that the pre-planning to bog things down.

> "combat is inevitable"
Because it is. In the introductory manga for the game, the necromancer is a little girl over a game board with all the PCs represented as pieces with the obvious implication that she's watching them and leading the monsters to them. In this case, it isn't even possible to surprise them or avoid combat because they're being lead right to the PCs. The PCs are playthings for the necromancers and they are actively watching the PCs.

>how to prepare an explosive trap
Action Check. Action checks are basically the "when in doubt, use this" to resolve anything that isn't other wise covered.
>>
>>55004346
>>55004918
>Combat is inevitable

No it's not. A GM can easily disregard that soft "rule" and allow players to escape combat.

Similarly, rail-roady shit like Karma is easily disregarded as well.

Also, if you want to do simpler, more roleplay/creativity oriented combat, you can use action checks during exploration for small skirmishes. Otherwise, the battlemap is more for a tactical pseudo-war game.
>>
>>55005069
PS: By "escape", I mean "negotiate out of it or avoid entering combat in the first place".

By the nature of the monster infested post-apocalyptic settings that most Nech games use, it's natural that you're going to run into bad shit fairly frequently, even if you disregard the Necromancer plaything lore that >>55004918 mentions.

But "one session has one combat phase" is probably the easiest rule in the rulebook to disregard.
>>
>>55005069

>No it's not. A GM can easily disregard that soft "rule" and allow players to escape combat.

It's is exactly how the game is structured such that there is always a combat in a session. You can say "Oh, you don't have to run it that way." But that's running into the Rule 0 thing that guy mentioned before.

>Also, if you want to do simpler, more roleplay/creativity oriented combat, you can use action checks during exploration for small skirmishes.

That's slamming face first into the complaint about lack of rules for that sort of thing. The out of combat rules are intentionally light because the mechanical focus is on encouraging RP and the actual battles. It gives the GM the flexibility and carte blanche to rule what can and can't be done out of combat to fit the game.
>>
>>55005156
It's easy to ignore a lot of things related to session structure and stuff, but the GM will have to be able to adjust quite a few rules to make it work.

But all class choices and nearly all part and position choices are related to the battle phase, so if you're honestly determined to avoid combat at all times, this might not be the right game for you and you're going to find the rules lacking.

But you should definitely at least try the game to see if you're really going to miss all those rules. Personally, love games where there's all sorts of rules for specific situations and what have you, but the really light out of combat system for nechronica has a charm all it's own.
>>
>>54990241
>>54988992
>Anything other than raw
Improper Gothics, the lot of you. Next you'll say you take your steak well done.
>>
File: 1493750196402.png (569KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1493750196402.png
569KB, 900x900px
>>55006056
Get with the times, grandpa. Next you're gonna say that back in your times, all you got were mutations and you liked it.
>>
Thanatos a best
>>
>>55006476
Actually yes, because mutant girls are cute. Do you not want your cute little loli to be an abomination against biology and mankind?
>>
File: 7duj4kw.jpg (193KB, 559x850px) Image search: [Google]
7duj4kw.jpg
193KB, 559x850px
>>55006570
Of course not. Everybody knows that enhancements are better.
>>
>>55006695
You are incorrect, but at least you're not so far gone as to name armaments as superior. Hetza types may apply, though, and put up a fine showing.
>>
File: doll.jpg (97KB, 583x1000px) Image search: [Google]
doll.jpg
97KB, 583x1000px
>>55006516
Sorority a cute.
>>
>>55004346
What >>55005069 said about Karma is right. It's a mechanic to guide the players down a path the GM would like them to go. A lot of Japanese TTRPGS have similar mechanics and can be railroady because of it. This is because the Japanese have very little free time, so are encouraged to get into the meat of the session very quickly.

Thankfully, the karma rule is easily ignored. The game doesn't suffer any if you remove it.
>>
File: The Witch's House.jpg (123KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
The Witch's House.jpg
123KB, 500x707px
>>55004430
>I think I like that the combat is divorced from the RP and relatively simple.
>>55005420
>The out of combat rules are intentionally light because the mechanical focus is on encouraging RP and the actual battles.

Actually that's what bugs me. Nech is so tight around its rules that it's more of a board game where players RP than a roleplaying game.
Don't get me wrong, I love me a good board games. And I often play board games with friends in which we roleplay as the character we're using and fluff our actions. But roleplaying this way has no real impact in the gameplay. I can't do anything that's not explicitly in the rules, even if I fluff it in a way that makes sense. And that's fine; it's a board game, we're not really playing our characters so much as describing the gameplay as events in-universe.
But that's exactly what's happening in Nech: there are specific mechanics in and out of combat that affects characters, and the player fluff it with RP. There is a DM that can modify the rules if he's thinks the intent of the players make sense, but as far as the rules go he only serves as another player with assymetrical gameplay.

As I said, that's fine. But it's not a roleplaying game for me so much as a board game with roleplay elements.
In a roleplaying game, I expect the players to think as characters first, with the rules acting as guidelines for what can or can't be done and what to expect of a given situation. In Nech, the rules tell you that everything you do is limited on a "each battle" basis. You are encouraged to roleplay between fights to regain your sanity, but I should say that this way of enforcing roleplay feels dubious at best. Roleplay should be its own reward, not a means to an end.
>>
File: C_zKqomXgAAS6p-.jpg (237KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
C_zKqomXgAAS6p-.jpg
237KB, 1200x750px
>>55005420
>t's is exactly how the game is structured such that there is always a combat in a session.

There's not much structure to it though, really. There's no real rules to it. The book basically says

"you have an adventure phase, a combat phase, and ending phase"

But the adventure and ending phase are basically standard role playing. The only mechanic tied to the role playing phases is how your memory fragments limits the number of convo checks you can make in each phase, but our group can barely get above the standard 2 anyway, due to how long convos end up taking.

>That's slamming face first into the complaint about lack of rules for that sort of thing. The out of combat rules are intentionally light because the mechanical focus is on encouraging RP and the actual battles.

*All* the mechanics outside of combat are lite. Convo checks are literally a role with a modifier. Normal checks let you wager parts and madness for extra dice, with gm assigned modifiers for difficulty. That's the extent of it. It's very light and rp oriented.

This system actually works very well if you want to do "small" battles. Since you have to wager parts on checks, your gm can easily say

"the lone zombie takes a swing at you. You can wager a RELEVANT part in an attempt to stop the damage. Difficulty -2"

And then

"You may wager a RELEVANT part (ie at rifle or sword) to slash down the zombie. +2 difficulty so you're rifle is unlikely to explode or misfire in your face."

Outside of formal combat, which is stringent, Nech's system is very elegant and fairly flexible.

Which brings me to...

>>55007229
>As I said, that's fine. But it's not a roleplaying game for me so much as a board game with roleplay elements.

If this is the case, you have an awful, awful, awful gm. Pure and simple.

Our gm allows us to negotiate out of fights. Our choices affect where we go and what happens. Most sessions have combat, but some don't.

If RP isn't everything, it's the player/gm's faults.
>>
>>55006695
Your enh game is weak senpai
>>
>>55007229
Like, if action checks didn't exist, I could see your point. But they do:

https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Checks

The only thing stopping a player from saying "I wager my Wire Reel and Rocket Pack to try and get up on that ledge, in order to escape the rampaging monster horde!" beyond a shitty gm.

Nechronica is a game made in Japan. A country that supposedly designs TRPG's to be fast and streamlined, because people have a hard time scheduling and making time for them. As such, railroading is probably going to be a temptation for some uncreative gm's.

But, unlike some worse games (*coughDXcough*) the rules that promote this thinking are nearly non-existant, and more of a suggestion than anything. There's nothing stopping you from disregarding them, and I guarantee you won't run into any mechanical or thematic problems if you do. Our group has run into none, and our game is the better for not forcing combat when the RP and events that have transpired say otherwise.
>>
>>55007229
>I can't do anything that's not explicitly in the rules, even if I fluff it in a way that makes sense.

Out of combat, the GM is free to determine if you can attempt something or not. An example of this would be if a tunnel collapsed in front of the players. Normally they might have to go around but one of the players can go "Hey, I have a drill and gauntlet, could I try to dig through it?" and the GM could approve that and perhaps the party avoids some horrific scene that would have made them gain madness as a result of the detour.

> I expect the players to think as characters first
Which happens in this game. It's impossible to count how many times someone's made a move that might not have been the brightest because they're playing a dumb kid that wouldn't know better.

>the rules acting as guidelines for what can or can't be done and what to expect of a given situation
The necromancer sets the stage that the dolls act upon, so it's thematically appropriate that the necromancer has such a huge say on what they can and can't do. Adventure and End phase are almost purely RP with Madness, Action, and Conversation checks coming in as needed based on the goings on. Actual combat itself is pretty boardgame/wargame like, but it seems like you're just interpreting everything in such a way that you won't like it.

>>55007931
>our group can barely get above the standard 2 anyway, due to how long convos end up taking.

Our groups tend to get around this by allowing multiple convo checks for longer discussions.

>This system actually works very well if you want to do "small" battles.

Honestly that system sounds dull compared to proper combat and makes it seem like you're just fighting weak things, which runs into the question of why the GM is throwing such weak foes at you in a game where you should be afraid of the slavering beasts coming at you.
>>
Probably my only problem with the combat system is things will get convoluted pretty quickly when there are more than 3 players. It is hard to keep track of who lost what part and who is hitting who after a while. Not saying hp based systems are better but this game is not meant for more than 3 dolls.
>>
IIRC, there's also a rule somewhere for combat, that says that players can ask the GM if they can perform a manuever/action mid-battle, and the GM can provide cost and rules for that action.

It seldom comes up, but it's a thing.

>>55008153
>Honestly that system sounds dull compared to proper combat and makes it seem like you're just fighting weak things, which runs into the question of why the GM is throwing such weak foes at you in a game where you should be afraid of the slavering beasts coming at you.

It's not as exciting or tactical as the actual combat system, but if you want to do a very maze-like dungeon exploration, it's a solid way to add a sense of danger, and some repercussions to your actions and exploration, leading up to an actual real threat (an encounter)..
>>
>>55008180
Players can easily track their own damage and counts. It can certainly become cluttered if you're trying to run a game for six or more people. Offical scenarios are for two to four players.
>>
File: ooS2Rzy.jpg (3MB, 2114x4258px) Image search: [Google]
ooS2Rzy.jpg
3MB, 2114x4258px
>>55008237
>>55008180

4 is a good number. I keep my own sheet handy, and that prevents any confusion.

I think my real issue with combat is that it takes a while to set up and execute, so you can't really have a dangerous location crawling with threats...it's always one *big* threat. Which can feel predictable after a while.

Hence why I think using action checks for traps and small skirmishes is a godsend.
>>
>>55006749

>Not loving all of the categories

It's like you hate having variety.
>>
File: 1485759346796.jpg (133KB, 637x650px) Image search: [Google]
1485759346796.jpg
133KB, 637x650px
>>55008591
All necrololis are love, but mutation ones are best.
>>
File: 4e69c7021cfdf991377140172948d0f4.png (894KB, 1000x1230px) Image search: [Google]
4e69c7021cfdf991377140172948d0f4.png
894KB, 1000x1230px
>>55008638
I still disagree
>>
File: oh god why.gif (488KB, 284x210px) Image search: [Google]
oh god why.gif
488KB, 284x210px
>there are people out there that would play this system
>but not as a loli character
>>
File: 49900577_p0_master1200.jpg (410KB, 871x1072px) Image search: [Google]
49900577_p0_master1200.jpg
410KB, 871x1072px
>>55008638
Same. All my favorite dolls and savants are subtly Giger influenced cuties.
>>
>>55008237
>Players can easily track their own damage and counts
You'd be surprised at what little players will keep track of.
>>
>>55008776
Get better players. This goes for all systems. If people actually care about what is going on, they'll go the extra mile to help you run the game, learn rules and make the experience positive for everyone involved.

If you're having to drag people along, then tell them to buck up or cut them loose.
>>
The only rules I wish Nechronica had more of was for ambushes.
>>
>>55009609
Perhaps give the enemy units a free action that can't be hindered or otherwise effected by the players?
>>
File: squigly cong1991.jpg (229KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
squigly cong1991.jpg
229KB, 636x900px
>>55007931
A good GM could use any system and make it fun by changing, adding or removing rules within a given ruleset. The GM being good or awful is irrelevant. What is relevant though, is if the rules can mitigate a bad GM's fuckups or a sublime a good GM's art.

My point still stands. The ruleset makes for a nice narrative board game. A good GM can use it and run it as a roleplaying game with little deviation from the RAW.

As for the check system, I agree, it is simple and functional. Allowing to wager relevant parts is a nice mechanic that goes well with the general philosophy of the game.

Now there are two things that I believe are major issues.
>Preparation for battle
I already said it, but there is hardly anything to bite on when it comes to strategic advantage. There isn't even a single rule for something as elementary as being ambushed, so anything else is out the window. Narrow hallway? Fighting in darkness?
You'd think there should be at least a few pointers to deal with such events, especially when the rules states that there can be "various" victory conditions. (Unspecified by the way, missing translation maybe?)
>Position/Classes outside of battle
Parts can be gambled for rerolling Checks, but Skills are very narrow in their use. Of course, it's a direct drawback of the system being aimed towards tactical battle, and maybe it's not so bad if Positions and Classes see little use outside of battle. Except for a few select Skills that are very useful outside of battle. (namely from the Alice Position) This creates a bit of unbalance between classes if the GM decides to set the focus outside of battle.
There is also a bit of mechanic dissonance when it comes to some Skills. Why can't an Alice use Prayer outside of battle? And a Gothic use Voracity all day long? (How does Voracity even works?)

This can be houseruled, yes, but rather than just handwave it, there is a wiki that could accomodate a page for suggested houserules.
>>
>>55010916
>A good GM could use any system and make it fun by changing, adding or removing rules within a given ruleset

There is a massive difference in size though.

This is not a matter of

"heavily rewrite a large number of rules that are interwoven with the very core of the game"

it's

"ignore a single, extremely vague concept that is almost completely tangential to the game, and has no major mechanics attached to it."

Hell, one could argue that the "one battle per session" rule in Nech *is* a suggestion rather than a hard rule, the book doesn't exactly expound on it as is.

>I already said it, but there is hardly anything to bite on when it comes to strategic advantage. There isn't even a single rule for something as elementary as being ambushed, so anything else is out the window. Narrow hallway? Fighting in darkness?

We've done all of these in game. From using resources to build landmines, to wagering parts for enemy ambushes, to fighting an enemy that literally spread a piercing darkness wherever they went.

Nech's system is very simple, and that only makes these concepts easier and simpler to execute and envision. All your gm (and players) need is a little bit of creativity, and if you don't have that bare minimum, you're not going to have fun with any trpg.

>Skills are very narrow in their use.

Again, this is a simple matter of gm/player communication.

"I have super strength. Can I break the unbreakable steel door?"

"Sure. here's the role."

"I have instanteous, can I outrun these guys and distract them?"

"sure. here's the roll."

As I said before, technically you can make up skills to use in battle, and just ask the gm what they should cost, etc.

Nech isn't a system that can do anything, no system is. But to claim its' a "board game with narrative" is just straight up wrong.
>>
A simple way of handling ambush:

>The dolls enter a fog or darkened area
>GM declares that they must roll a check, wagering relevant parts (eyes, ears, antennae, sensors, etc.) in order to notice finer details in their surroundings.
>If the players wander into an ambush area, and fail the check (or choose not to make it in the first place), than start an encounter with bonus ap awarded to the attackers.

There are lots more ways you could do it. That's just off the top of my head.
>>
File: 1483700492188.jpg (336KB, 854x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1483700492188.jpg
336KB, 854x1200px
>>
>>55011480
>"I have super strength. Can I break the unbreakable steel door?"
>"Sure. here's the role."
Jumping in but how exactly should you treat the health of a wall or door? They say a wall has damage, but never give ideas as to how much materials should have. Plus the checks page just lists DC which should realistically be relative to the type of limb being used (mutation, mechanical, regular bone).

Yeah you can eye-ball these concepts and the difficulty modifier exists but some more substantial guidelines would be nice. I'm taking my time through the wiki but as simple as the rules are, it feels like it wants to address more situations but instead leaves it up to the GM to figure it out.
>>
File: 1501558744131.jpg (3MB, 2456x2563px) Image search: [Google]
1501558744131.jpg
3MB, 2456x2563px
>>55014489
Yup, it pretty much leaves it up to the GM, but since everything's so simple, it's not too hard to improvise these things easily.

I think it's a fine design choice. The setting is so surreal and weird, and has so much room for gm creativity, that making a guide for materials and such might not even be that helpful.

When GM'ing, one of the first walls I invented for players, was a semi-sentient wall of liquid mercury, that would transform into spikes if the players attempted to touch it directly. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>55014648
>it pretty much leaves it up to the GM
This is actually a problem as I was trying to frame it. Let's go back to the wall example.

A player wants to destroy a wall, you give it a fixed amount of HP + DC if this is a combat situation as you want to create some tension. Since the tactical map doesn't really allow for environments to be organic as you basically fight in a darkest dungeon/final fantasy battle map, "where" the wall is is a bit weird. This would be solved by just allowing for a hex-grid or do as fate does and break the scene into zones. That ways you preserve actual geography and don't abstract movements as hard. Abilities like the Alice [Angel of Eden] just is recontexualized to "Travel to nearest 'safe' zone"

Anyways, now you have the player attack the wall. The damage done is subtracted from the wall blah blah blah.
This part is easy enough to understand.

Out of combat however, you get to the "how many times can I attempt to pick this lock" problem. You basically are just setting a DC to break the wall and give as many attempts until they succeed and you decide the wall is down.

But here's the big question. How do you adjust the modifier based on the type of appendage used? Do you even bother? Obviously a regular flesh and blood arm aren't tearing down any walls and you risk breaking them just trying. But what about the difference between a cybernetic augmentation, or a fleshy tendril? That is the kind of problem just giving a wall a bit of HP doesn't really address.
>>
>>55014489

Honestly, trying to break down a door doesn't need much more than a single Check. Just eyeball the DC based on the situation- it should be pretty easy if the char in question is, say, trying to bust down a shitty wooden door with a giant murder drill, while trying to punch open a reinforced bunker would be significantly more difficult.

In nearly every other system I've played, most out of combat stuff is single checks anyway (except for social situations). you want to search the building? Roll Investigation with a DC of whatever. You want to climb up the ledge? Roll Climbing. This system is basically the same way, except instead of rolling investigation you're wagering your Extra Eyes on a Check to search or wagering your Adhesive Pads to climb.
>>
>>55014489
>>55014799
>Obviously a regular flesh and blood arm aren't tearing down any walls and you risk breaking them just trying.
Not really. This is Nechronica, and the mutants (read: flesh and blood) are the ones that get cheap access to Super Strength. Cyborg-girls can get access to it to in the form of Gauntlet, but that's different as it's locational strength instead of full-body strength.

Anybody can bet Fist to add dice to punch through a wall, and Super Strength should give a +1 bonus to those rolls, while Gauntlet could reasonbly be betted. And the simple answer to "when do I roll?" is to only roll when there would be a consequence for failure beyond not getting to do thing, usually. You can roll as many times as you like with no time or resource pressure, so why even bother?

And if you want realism, it's best for you to leave that at the door. Trust me, the inconsistencies will make you go mad. This is a game where the only penalty for losing your eyeballs is a minor loss of AP at the start of the next Round. You can still see and attack just as well as other Dolls. Just ignore that stuff and run on rule of horrific cool. Is it cool that this disturbed little girl is strong enough to shred a steel door with her bare claws to save the mutant puppy she befriended trapped behind it? If the answer is yes, allow it.
>>
>>55014965
i mean even then it isn't a regular flesh and blood arm, but i'm just splitting hairs at this point. It's probably like a horribly twisted arm rippling with horrifically overgrown muscle and veins that look more like hoses stuck under the skin. Well that or the muscle itself is something with a much higher strength/volume ratio but like I said, splitting hairs
>>
>>54982772
Oh that's easy, the one who's taking the damage decides which parts it goes to after finding hit location.
>>
>>55014839
>This system is basically the same way, except instead of rolling investigation you're wagering your Extra Eyes on a Check
Question, why do you need to wager an eye for just investigating a building? Do you just trip and lost it if you fail?

>>55014965
>And if you want realism,
The wall thing is just a question because the system tells you to treat them as objects with HP. My main problem is the battlemap and how it limits the combat environment unnecessarily. I prefer to simulate real spaces and transporting people to a FF style battle map is opposed to that. Less about realism and more about preserving tactical decision making, the board is too simple for my tastes.
>>
>>55020991
There's a helluva lot of tactical decision making with those five zones, attack ranges, and movement/hinder movement options. You should seriously give it a try before you dismiss it as being "too simple." There's also absolutely nothing stopping you from simulating real spaces within the five zones beyond yourself.
>>
>>55021067
I'm saying it's too simple because it ignores geography to give you a Battlezone instead of a proper battle map. This is like comparing the darkest dungeon to civilization. Both games are interesting yes, but there's no denying that one game represents a much simpler way to view combat than the other.

Like I said and I have no reason to bulk on this, I prefer an actual environment to move around in and not an abstract zone-based area.
>>
>>55020991

>why do you need to wager an eye for just investigating a building?

You don't, really. I was just giving an equivalent example to an Investigation check. If you were to wager extra eyes on an investigation check and fail, maybe you strained your artificially connected eyes too much and they 'short-circuited' and stopped working. Or maybe the thing you were looking for took them...
>>
>>54990241
That's why you gotta eat it fresh and wriggling.
>>
>>55022920
But then you get blood all over your nice dress!
>>
>>55022920
Agreed. Dolls, monsters and people should realise their their true role is just to be cattle for the Gothics.
>>
>>55021409
>it ignores geography to give you a battlezone

You can place walls and geography *in* the battlezone to simulate those. IE, we had a fight once in a burning building, and several zones were actually burning and had unique effects for dolls located there.

You can also do walls. If it's dark and nobody can see, -1 or -2 to the attack checks, etc.
>>
>>55014965

There are weirder shit than that. If the doll is reduced to just an arm holding a pistol , apperently it can still shoot that. I think at some point GM's should house rule what is and what is not feasible.
>>
File: 62987404_p1_master1200.jpg (242KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
62987404_p1_master1200.jpg
242KB, 540x720px
>>55023729
I think it's better to just fluff damage how you see fit.

If your torso is destroyed, I don't think it necessarily has to be "gone". It could just be smashed up to the point that nothing in there is functioning. Same with arms, legs, etc. Be creative in how you take damage.

GM's declaring you can't use certain parts when it doesn't make sense, however, would HUGELY wreck the balance of the game.
>>
>>55023729
At what point in nechnronia does a character die anyway?
Also I suppose a part being "destroyed" doesn't mean gone forever, it prolly just refers to "damaged to point where not useful in combat."

Also I love seeing these threads as I love the bio/mechanical body horror aesthetic.
>>
>>55023786
Nothing can truly die. You can be torn to shreds, burnt into ashes or mashed into pulp and still be absolutely aware of the agony. Forever.

Mechanically, If you're unable to take any actions in battle due to part destruction, then you're considered annihilated. Some dolls can still use abilities even when in this state, but if every doll ends up annihilated then they are left at the mercy of whoever defeated them. The corebook hints that they could show up as spare parts to be won from future monsters.
>>
File: 62098797_p0.png (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
62098797_p0.png
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>55023786

Any destroyed part can be repaired after combat. Resources can be gained from fallen enemies (devour your enemies to heal?) or from other sources.

As for death: this varies from gm to gm.

There's the "annihilated" status, which means *all* your parts are broken.

In the vanilla book/setting, it says that annihilated dolls can be rebuilt, so long as it's not a TPK.

If a TPK happens, the book wavers a bit. At one point, it says the dolls cannot be used again. Another, it says something like "it's up to the gm". Perhaps it meant lore on the latter case. Hard to say.

In our game, due to its long running and character focused nature, we pretty much leave it up to the GM, and the players. In *most* circumstances, our gm will allow us to rebuild a doll, even in the event of a TPK.

There's also the "heartbroken" status. When all your madness slots are filled, you become an insane npc. This can be healed (at great difficulty), by other players, however..
>>
>>55023766
>>55023786

It certainly makes more sense when you think about it that way. Otherwise it becomes ridiciulous.
>>
File: battlemap.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
battlemap.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>55023702
Once again, at that point why not just use a battle map instead of an abstract ladder? What if I only want a wall to be in certain places? What if the battle takes place both outside and inside a structure? What if the wall is located in a place that restricts escape?

Placement of objects is more than just putting them into zones, it's simulating an actual environment. If this zone structure works, fine. But it's not something I would want out of a combat system in the long run. I get the basic jist of what this system is trying to accomplish, it's not supposed to be as deep in all these areas because it's meant to be run quickly and efficiently right? No need for extensive combat encounters when the system only encourages one per session so it's fine that things are streamlined.
>>
File: 1501558852970.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1501558852970.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>55024356
>What if the wall is located in a place that restricts escape?

You can easily do that? Hell, the sample replay in the official book has a battle in which a wall restricts escape due to its location, and has to be broken down mid combat.

Most of the examples you just gave are things that are particularly easy to simulate in this system, in fact.

I understand where you're coming from. Every system is more convenient for one thing, less convenient for other things. Nech's battlemap is technically abstract. But you *can* do almost anything into it, you just need to use equally abstract mechanical solutions (ie unique modifiers, bonuses, etc. based on the environment) tied in with fluff.
>>
>>55024769
>Nech's battlemap is technically abstract
It's the difference between

>There is a wall
and
>There is a wall here

In the replay it is the former. The wall is part of the victory condition and equally abstract as everything else (it's treated as a legion). What I'm asking for is the fidelity to say the latter. Instead of "Destroy this wall to get to eden" I'm saying "If you can destroy this obstacle you can make it outside and more easily escape"

I can easily hack it into the system since it's rules lite all around; but doing so basically creates a new combat experience.
>>
File: 1501726874799.jpg (752KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1501726874799.jpg
752KB, 1000x1200px
>>55025085
I'm not sure I follow you. The wall being in Eden makes it more of the latter: It's a wall in a specific place, that hinders a specific movement in a specific direction. You could also put a wall (as a barricade) in limbo for example, to block off encroaching hordes.

Like if you're saying "there's a wall *somewhere* in the eden region, but you can go around it for additional movement cost" then yes I see your point. But then you could indeed say "you can go around this wall for additional ap/movement cost, depending on where you've fluffed your relative position".

The strength of Nech's battlemap is that it allows positioning and distance to be tactical, and also cuts down on arduous set up time with pieces strewn around a map. It's basically just an abstraction of the relative distance between players and enemies. It's easier and faster to set up, and less work for everyone involved. If you want pinpoint scientific accuracy of everything, like gurps, you can still do it for some extra work and creativity, but that's not what most JP systems are about.
>>
Idle thoughts- The abyssals from bote collection make pretty decent PC inspiration if you like your undead horrors of the mechanical bent.

2- because of this, you could probably run a darker bote game using nechronica- botes are primarily mech / armament based, abyss more mixed.
>>
File: Tabletop_Kotatsu.jpg (59KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Tabletop_Kotatsu.jpg
59KB, 400x400px
>>55025206
>Like if you're saying "there's a wall *somewhere* in the eden region, but you can go around it for additional movement cost" then yes I see your point.
This is what I'm saying yes. "Here" on a battle map is a 2d space represented. "Here" in Nechronica is

>If you want pinpoint scientific accuracy of everything, like gurps, you can still do it for some extra work and creativity
Not even asking for scientific accuracy, this is D&D levels of mapping. Yes, it's still doable but no it's not part of the base system and needs to be worked around. And given that even in this thread I have heard complaints about the system from players it leads me to think that it definitely needs a second edition to iron out some of it's faults.

>but that's not what most JP systems are about.
From what I read about Double Cross, it does just this though. (So it's obviously in the minority) It reads as a more western approach; Granted the consensus seems to be that the system is a mess but I like how it treats engagements. Actually it seems 50/50 from what I've seen. Stuff like Ryuutama are also FF Battle maps, and stuff like Alshard seem more figure based.
>>
>>
File: 1501644182356.jpg (242KB, 850x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1501644182356.jpg
242KB, 850x1210px
>>55025870
I'll grant you most of this but:

>Yes, it's still doable but no it's not part of the base system and needs to be worked around

I'm not sure I agree. The system is deliberately designed so that it can easily introduce mechanics as the GM needs. Enemy part creation, which is a big part of gm'ing, is expected to involve a lot of rule creation. I don't see it as a big "mod" to the game, to make up scenarios like that.

>it leads me to think that it definitely needs a second edition to iron out some of it's faults.

Nah, no thanks.

Like I said, it's a matter of taste. Nech's battle map does some things very, very well. To the point that you won't get the same experience out of similar games. If you tried to work all this shit in, mechanically, you'd just complicate it and defeat the whole point of the games design.
>>
>>55025969
>I'm not sure I agree
It would need to be worked around. Abilities that move people to certain zones will have to be recontextualized. Range will have to be worked around unless you fix the size of the arena used. Movement and AP might need to be adjusted to reflect a wider area of operation as well.

It's not a huge mod but it's more than just making new parts which is as simple as [Effect][Range][Location].

>Nah, no thanks.
I meant as it relates to problems people have with the already in place combat system. I don't care to force my ideas on what would improve a system into an official release. And it seems like there are some problems with combat already that could use some addressing.
>>
>>55026131
>It's not a huge mod but it's more than just making new parts which is as simple as [Effect][Range][Location].

You could just as easily ask a player

"where are you on the field? How close are you to that field...? Okay, you can go inside for an additional 1 ap, and get a -1 to attack checks made against you (cover)"

This isn't a mod, it's just thinking creatively with the tools that the book already suggests, and making the most of your role as a GM.

>problems with combat already that could use some addressing.

Like I said, they aren't "problems". They're compromises to allow the quick, fast, and tactical gameplay that Nech is built around. If you changed them and introduced a whole new system based on positioning (compared to the elegant and simplistic range measurement of the combat map), you'd be killing a big part of the games appeal, and what people who actually play the game enjoy about it.
>>
File: 58117946_p0.png (1MB, 720x1315px) Image search: [Google]
58117946_p0.png
1MB, 720x1315px
>>54996133
This guy does some great art.
>>
>>55026275
>This isn't a mod, it's just thinking creatively with the tools that the book already suggests, and making the most of your role as a GM.
You and I are describing two different things now. What I'm saying is that if I were to adapt the combat to a battle map certain abilities have to be recontextualized. There is no other way to get around this.
When the Alice has the ability to evacuate to Eden what does that mean would you no longer have a zone that is labeled eden? Other classes can evacuate to different zones as well, what does that mean? If I were to build this system along the lines of what I'm thinking, those variables have to be taken into account. And it's not that hard you just have to look at what the class is trying to do. So the Alice might evacuate to the nearest location that does not have enemies within a certain number of tiles. Another class might throw themselves directly into the center of an engagement because that's where they want to be. It's not super complicated but it drastically changes the feel of combat in some respects.

>Like I said, they aren't "problems".
So the system doesn't have a problem with multiple encounters per session? And it doesn't take longer to get through combat as a general observation? Balancing enemies isn't also something the system outright ignores?

I think you're now confusing what I've been talking about with what other people in other threads have mentioned about nechronica. I firstly do not believe that any system is flawless on its first edition. You play with the system. you tell me what you have a problem with as relates to combat and then tell me that it doesn't need a second pass. Because right now just seems like the game was designed with the idea that somebody else will fix the holes. That is not good design if you ask me.
>>
>>55026544
>You and I are describing two different things now. What I'm saying is that if I were to adapt the combat to a battle map certain abilities have to be recontextualized. There is no other way to get around this.

...besides not using a battle map.

Almost every terrain or environmental hazard you would want can be executed without a battle map. Just fluff + gm questions + bonuses/modifiers/costs, etc.

>So the system doesn't have a problem with multiple encounters per session? And it doesn't take longer to get through combat as a general observation? Balancing enemies isn't also something the system outright ignores?

No, they're not. They're design decisions that facilitate a specific kind of experience.

Speaking as an actual game developer (not tabletop, vidya), no system can be all things to all people.

If you make one thing simpler, something else will have to become more complicated. If you give the game one strength, something else will have to be weaker. If you appeal to one group, you will alienate another.

Game design is about choices, and pursuing a vision and style with its own unique appeals.

Nechronica's strength is that it's fast, streamlined, and easy to jump in. It's not complicated, and allows you to set up battles quickly and easily. It has corresponding weaknesses, but those cannot be fixed without changing the strengths into something different, or weakening them.

I also have no idea what you're talking about with the system "ignoring enemy balance", but I don't want to open up another subject right now.

>other people in other threads

And I would suggest discussing the game with people who actually play it.
>>
>>55026674
>Almost every terrain or environmental hazard you would want can be executed without a battle map. Just fluff + gm questions + bonuses/modifiers/costs, etc.
So you are once again not describing the thing I would like to add that the current system isn't properly equipped for. How is that hard to get? If you use it, you need to make new rules for it. If you don't nothing changes. As is the system relies on me the GM to fill in all these use cases but the assumption in the rules is that you don't do this. Obstacles either affect the entire zone or not at all; is that an accurate read?

>And I would suggest discussing the game with people who actually play it.
That's why I'm talking to you, do you have any problems with the combat system of Nechronica? You're avoiding the question now.

>Speaking as an actual game developer (not tabletop, vidya), no system can be all things to all people.
I develop games as well anon. If you're rule book is written in such a way that you are consistently telling the reader "And then you'll have to fill this hole" there might be a problem. If you're the same poster I've seen in this thread your answer to a lot of question is "Your GM must be terrible". Maybe the rules just don't give a good idea for what you can do with the system. It reads as a very automated game which is weird because other JTTRPG's that use scenes or scenario structures don't do that (DX and TN come to mind).

I think Nechronica looks like an interesting system and I would love to hop in on a game were my schedule as free as the people running the games, but even with the base premise and mechanics it seems lacking. Simplified combat is just a personal problem I have with a lot of systems.
>>
>>55027030
I've been running a Nechronica game for close to two years now, soon to be done, and the only thing I've ever wanted from the system that wasn't there was ambush rules, and there are some good ideas for them in the thread. The combat is deep and nuanced with quite a lot of action-reaction, even if the movement is abstract (which works in its favor, as things can quickly become complex with the Rapid stack, especially when factoring in range). The madness mechanics are some of the most elegant ones I've seen. Overcoming environments and obstacles are easy enough with parts betting and giving bonuses for skills, and it's simple to intuit what's reasonable when you get into the mindset of these being death-dealing biohorror machines. It hasn't felt "automated" at all, whatever that means.
>>
File: 1501558482210.jpg (3MB, 2338x1091px) Image search: [Google]
1501558482210.jpg
3MB, 2338x1091px
>>55027030
>How is that hard to get? If you use it, you need to make new rules for it

They're not new rules though:

"Just fluff + gm questions + bonuses/modifiers/costs, etc."

Is basically what the game runs on, and encourages if you want RP that's more then freeform

>That's why I'm talking to you, do you have any problems with the combat system of Nechronica? You're avoiding the question now.

No, I don't. I'll just address a few points real quick:

>battles are long / multiple battles per session

Most big battles, making use of the battlemap, are long. But that's what they're supposed to be: epic battles against horrific monstrosities. That is what the game is built around.

At the same time, I don't have a problem designing smaller, faster encounters, if I want to have multiple combats per session.

The main book also gives the tools to work with small skirmishes based on action checks and other factors.

>balancing enemies isn't handled by the system

It is. The game has a system for tallying the "threat level" of enemies.

Given the tactical nature of combat, balancing encounters properly requires some thought, but if you don't want to think about balance at all, you probably shouldn't be gm'ing.

>If you're rule book is written in such a way that you are consistently telling the reader "And then you'll have to fill this hole" there might be a problem.

Nech, like all games, is built around a particular setting and style. But the book gives you the tools and mechanics to easily work with other styles without changing the game.

Is it perfectly good at everything? No, but no game is.

It's not a matter of "fill in the holes for my bad game" it's a matter of "here's all you need: do your basic job as a gm with the tools the game gives you, and the universal tools of a gm".

>Simplified combat is just a personal problem I have with a lot of systems.

Then you should love it. Nech's battles are intense and strategic, with lots of options to make you think.
>>
>>55027214
>soon to be done
As in you will be done with the system, or done with our second year running it?

>(which works in its favor, as things can quickly become complex with the Rapid stack, especially when factoring in range)
Can you elaborate? Do you mean that there are just that too many things give that timing effect?

>It hasn't felt "automated" at all, whatever that means.
I'll try and think of how to convey this, But I think my impression is Similar to what the Darkest Dungeon does. You have a routine for each session (weeks in DD terms), it's why I don't really stick with that game by either doing only adventure phases or stacking combat phases without an inbetween things get rough.

>>55027314
>hey're not new rules though:
So there are rules for how to treat "retreat to eden" when using using a grid map instead of the included battle map? Man I was wrong then, no new rules needed.

Do you understand that I'm not asking for "fluff it out yourself"?

>Is it perfectly good at everything?
I'm not asking it to be good at everything. My suggestion for a 2e wasn't for any of my suggestions at all. If the system is "perfect" as is then that's fine.

>Then you should love it. Nech's battles are intense and strategic, with lots of options to make you think.
I question the strategic depth of a system with only 5 zones of combat. Even by the rules standards it's more like how in DD you need people standing in certain spots to get certain abilities off. That's fine, but still very simple by all appearances. Maybe if there were more combat examples to work with I could see the better picture.
>>
>>55028309
>As in you will be done with the system, or done with our second year running it?
We're at the last leg of the campaign and I'm expecting to finish it up before the end of the year. God knows life will try her damndest to prevent it.

>Can you elaborate? Do you mean that there are just that too many things give that timing effect?
It's not that there are too many. I mean that you can easily have a lot of rapid chains even at starting favor totals. For example, you could attack with a Range 0 Armament like Axe, then an enemy could use Boost to push you away so you're out of reach and can't attack. You could then respond with something like Tentacles to hinder your movement so you stay in the same zone, then another enemy uses Extra Arms off your Tentacles and tries to hit whatever location you have Tentacles in with enough damage that it breaks. Assuming they manage that, that means that your Tentacles are no longer available for use, so you actually do move out of reach of your target, and the target is safe. That would be a lot more complex if you went full GURPS Tactical Combat with individual hexes and all that entails.

I've had a problem in my combats really getting bogged down in that since I ran with fewer enemies that had more counters, but now I'm running with more enemies that have fewer counters and it's definitely smoother. The real issue now is me being able to keep track of ten enemies on the field at any given time, but I can manage.

>You have a routine for each session
Nobody plays like that, dude. I don't know anybody that does. That's a Japanese tool because japs are criminally short on free time, so they need rigid structure to go go go. I just let people recover 2*Memory Fragments worth of madness per session. Admittedly, I've never run multiple combats per session, but all of my combats have been (fairly) dramatic affairs.
>>
>>55028309
>So there are rules for how to treat "retreat to eden" when using using a grid map instead of the included battle map? Man I was wrong then, no new rules needed.

And do you understand that I'm saying "don't add a grid map, because you don't need it to mechanically express any of these concepts, and it would simply over-complicate a very elegant and effective system"?

>Do you understand that I'm not asking for "fluff it out yourself"?

Do you understand that I'm not saying "fluff it out yourself" but rather "have the GM use the tools that the GM has been given by the book specifically to account for these theoretical situations and circumstances"?

>I question the strategic depth of a system with only 5 zones of combat.

As >>55028551 said, it can get pretty complex with a lot of choices going on. 5 zones is really all you need, given how intricate battles can get.

I think I'm about done with the theorycrafting here. If you're interested, give it a try.
>>
>>55028309
>>55028741
>As >>55028551(You) said, it can get pretty complex with a lot of choices going on. 5 zones is really all you need, given how intricate battles can get.
Looking back on it, I completely glossed over the attack check for the Extra Arms and damage resolution as well. Let's say that you have two parts left in addition to Tentacles for Tentacles' location. The enemy has, say, Bear Gun, that is able to attack you at the current range (this happens before any movement). Bear Gun does Ranged Attack 3, so it's all but guaranteed to take out your Tentacles with nothing else interfering. They might roll a 9, while your Tentacles part is on your Torso. They use Extra Eyes to Support that check up to an 11, which gives them an extra point of damage in addition to choosing the location, which would be Torso in this instance. Your friend uses a skill like Advice to Hinder their attack, bringing it down to 10. This enemy already used its Arm part, and has no allies that can Support it, so it decides, fuck it, it's going to use Arm Vise to Hinder 2 its own attack to hit your Torso, which is hit on an 8. It is now doing three damage to your Torso, which is all it needs to take out Tentacles. You already used Scales earlier, and have no Defends left, so it breaks. If you did have Scales, you could have defended against the attack before and kept Tentacles safe, but have no other parts in that location.

It can get really complex, really deep, really fast. I've had similar situations come up in my games, and heard people talk about them happening in their games. It may not look like much on the wiki, but Nechronica's combat is one of the most enjoyable ones that I've interacted with. And I'm not even getting to all of the options here, this is just a small slice of the pie.
>>
Just a simple bump.
>>
File: 1501695045689.jpg (1MB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
1501695045689.jpg
1MB, 1500x844px
So, how many people out there run custom Nech settings?

The vanilla setting is cool, but I think the book reveals too much, and some elements are a bit wonky.

Tell me about your weirdocalypse settings, tg.
>>
>>55033463
well neither myself
>>54992132
nor Rak run the vanilla setting
>>54973475

In my case it's centered around a war between a demon army summoned by Dracula and the last cities of man that has ground to a halt for so long that the Dolls have become more like mercenaries than soldiers

While Rak's setting is, well it's easier if he explains it.

One thing they have in common though is a time honored tradition in many other RPGs, shopping
>>
>>55033683
also wew i got the post links backwards
>>
>>55033463
The world was ruled by three necromancers, and divided into three different great expanses of land, each far larger than was necessary for the necromancer ruling over it. The three were locked in a stalemate looking for the moment when they could march upon the others and claim their power, becoming the one true ruler of all Earth in their own fashion.

The High Queen, the PC's necromancer, ruled over a queendom of meat, a fleshy hellscape of endless muscly land, fatty mounds of hills, and rivers of acidic stomach juices. Her specialty was all manner of mutant abominations, and she most preferred to create the sorts of Dolls that could be PCs, savants imbued with free will and choice. That choice was, however, partially illusory: serve, and serve well, or be hung within her throne room for what will feel like an eternity of torture. The rebellions this caused were ultimately the biggest problem her faction had.

The Clockmaker, adjacent to the Queen and ever skirmishing with her, ruled over a land made of rusted scrap. The very ground was as many cogs in a machine, interlocked together in great number to form something mostly solid. Great skyscrapers of cities old somehow stood, despite being an uncanny mess of metal plates and other nonsense that should by rights collapse under a stiff breeze. His preference was to horrors, inventive little mechanical designs that he could dispense with very simple sorts of programming and then forget about as he crafted more. He did not trust in what advantages free will brought, and what few dolls he made accomplished little. Unlike the sadist of a queen, he was actually quite personable, so long as you were taking his side. His faction's greatest problem was the reliance on horrors, which packed less punch per soul invested, making his creations inefficient.
>>
>>55033463
>>55034515
Finally, generally a non-factor as far as the campaign was concerned, was The General. Of the three, he had the most sheer power, and his territory was essentially all of Eurasia/Africa and plenty of the sea surrounding them - crossing those seas, however, was not a task he ever properly set to. Everything in his realm was weapons. Guns and blades embedded into the ground, what were once houses covered in enough automated turrets to quell any half-assed incursion. He specialized in savants even more than the Queen, practically to the exclusion of horrors. Where The Queen would let her dolls have free will however, with the risks and benefits that entailed, The General saw no need for this. He was the commanding officer of his army, and quite literally. Every doll was an extension of his self, controlled and puppeted by him, and his immense amount of power was the only reason he could manage this. Ultimately, however, this control freak persona was why he was such a non-entity: the strain of controlling every doll he made, combined with actually making them, left him wholly incapable of managing anything else. Had the party ever gotten to interact with him, there would have been little fanfare or warning before combat began; he was not the type to waste time with words.
>>
File: 1499619368663.jpg (211KB, 1152x771px) Image search: [Google]
1499619368663.jpg
211KB, 1152x771px
>>55033463
I run Zonechronica. Dolls + S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been pretty fun so far, and easy to do. Zone is basically the only place Dolls currently exist, and the humans are using them to shut it down. The "Necromancers," a Ministry of the Russian government, are essentially never interacted with beyond curt letters taken by heavily armored train. The PCs have basically spent all of their time in-game going around killing warlords or politicing with them to make sure they have Dolls to come back to when they stop the Zone.
>>
>>55037105
This is interesting. A STALKER game where you play as the mutants.
>>
>>55038995
Well, I say STALKER, but I haven't really used anomalies all that much. They don't translate well into tabletop. Gonna give them a shot soon, see how it turns out.
>>
>>55040420
On a forum I browse someone was trying to make a complete system for STALKER, I should check back and see how that was going.
Anomalies do seem difficult to handle as anything other than generic skill checks to avoid/search out/resist damage off
>>
>>55040461
Anomalies and artifacts actually are probably easy to do in Nechronica's combat, I just haven't really had the right fight to include them yet. Basically have a custom enemy type in an area that can't be attacked and give them rapids with Range 0 that can be used as many times as you like, but only once per count. Outside of combat, I've used them a few times, and even had animate ones for a fight.

Artifacts can be an entire tiered list of Reinforcements or one-off items that you pay no favor for, but can't replace if they get broken without another adventure. Issue is that I'm hidebound and can't think of cool part effects that don't tread on existing positions and classes or are boring effects like "Defend 1, only vs. Blast Attacks" that just rip off the video games.
>>
File: 7597353_p0.jpg (357KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
7597353_p0.jpg
357KB, 1200x800px
>>
>>55033463
Gonna hopefully try a vanilla setting for a few sessions before thinking about branching out.
>>
>>55040622

>Artifacts can be an entire tiered list of Reinforcements or one-off items that you pay no favor for, but can't replace if they get broken without another adventure. Issue is that I'm hidebound and can't think of cool part effects that don't tread on existing positions and classes or are boring effects like "Defend 1, only vs. Blast Attacks" that just rip off the video games.

If you really can't think of something, you could make some Artifacts equivalent to some of the Enemy-Only Parts, letting the PCs acquire some of those?
>>
>>55043795
gott damn mimics
>>
>>55046247
Wouldn't be a bad place to nick ideas from. I'm sure I'll figure something out, even if it's pure macguffin.
>>
File: KEEP HEILING WEHRABOO.jpg (334KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
KEEP HEILING WEHRABOO.jpg
334KB, 1280x800px
>>55048522
worse than that

A mimic with terrible taste
>>
File: 436860_p0.jpg (617KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
436860_p0.jpg
617KB, 1280x1024px
>>
File: 1496584462628.jpg (271KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1496584462628.jpg
271KB, 1600x1068px
>>
This is the biggest nech thread I have ever seen on /tg/. Well done!
>>
>>55055906
>he wasn't here when anon first discovered this gem
>day of zombie lolis and rolling up new dolls when all we knew was the bare minimum
>>
Okay so I'm curious, the classes have something like Baroque, Requiem, Gothic, etc... Why Stacy? Like the only thing is the name meaning Resurrection or bountiful, whereas the others seem to be architecture or music related.
>>
>>55056148
It's referencing a japanese horror movie.
>>
>>55026544
you can look at another rules light game, 13th age. that doesn't use a battle map, it uses abstract distances: 'engaged' (melee), 'nearby' (one move away), 'far away'.(more than one move away). evacuate to eden could mean move far away from the baddies towards safety. the class that jumps in moves from far away to engaged with the enemy.

you can have divisions within a zone without using a grid - you are in the same zone as a mcguffin, but there's a wall in the way that you have to break through. boom. no hexes required.
>>
File: Sylvan_Map_Nech.png (316KB, 1182x576px) Image search: [Google]
Sylvan_Map_Nech.png
316KB, 1182x576px
>>55056902
Full disclosure I am a GURPS man so I also would also like to see something more concrete when it comes to maps.

I've been reading over the rules, and aside from Two zones functioning as escape points for Dolls or Savants I think a way to use a less abstract map without needing any grids or hexes would be something I've seen with FATE, which is also a Zone driven game. Stuff like what >>55023702 mentions sounds a lot like zone aspects. And if the rules allow for me to break up a zone into different sub-zones I think I have a middle ground.

From my reading of Nech; Zones don't really seem have any overt meanings, Classes can just buff themselves if they are in specific ones or teleport to others. While Tartarus represents locations where Savants are safe to escape combat from. So as long as you don't mess up that range is determined by how many zones away a target is you should be able to do something like pic related.

I'd thought of an encounter that takes place in a subway station that the dolls enter from Eden, which means that running up the stairs again would be escaping to safety. While any Savants can retreat further into the tunnels for the purpose of the encounter maybe to re-appear again. Does this map look ok? If so you could in theory apply this idea to any encounter, take a map, overlay your zones, and then add aspects to things like barriers or obstacles while being able to show them in a clearer way. And you create some more tactical situation where a ranged attack that wants to strike from the upper sub-zone of Limbo into Hades gets modified by obstacles and lack of line of sight. While Shooting from the lower sub-zone might give limits to the target as they have less mobility in narrow hallways.

If this is too complicate I can just wait until I get the system better, I'm shadowing a couple games now so I'll get to see how combat plays out properly.
>>
>>55057456
That actually looks a nice of mapping the zones. I always thought zone based combat was weird but applying them to actual places makes it interesting.
>>
>>55057456
That's a fantastic map. I can see lots of oppertunities for players and enemies alike to be inspired by it.

"I'm taking too much damage! Can I hide in one of the offices?"

"Sure, make an action check and spend 2 Action Points. You can bet Bone to sprint you into cover quickly and eyes to find a place to hide. If you make it, you can't be targeted until you take an attack action."

Things like that!
>>
>>55058986
>>55059566
Thanks. I hope I am onto something here. I'm not at my computer now so I can't make anymore mockups atm. But I definitely want to play more with the idea of overlaying zones to regular maps.
>>
File: 1473423288686.png (909KB, 847x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1473423288686.png
909KB, 847x1200px
>>
>>55056198
I always thought it was a high school stereotype.
>>
Do objects like walls take bonus damage from dismember and area?
>>
>>55065804
I figure it'd be something that's up to the group/necrodancer.
>>
>>55065804

I'd say no on dismember but yes for area, for flavor reasons. you can't really dismember a wall.
>>
Nechro bump
>>
File: 7584184_p0.jpg (681KB, 1000x695px) Image search: [Google]
7584184_p0.jpg
681KB, 1000x695px
>>
File: 920827_20050127_screen022.jpg (329KB, 904x1580px) Image search: [Google]
920827_20050127_screen022.jpg
329KB, 904x1580px
Man, I wish the Rengoku games were better, a action game where you're ripping off body parts off of other robots and sticking them on yourself constantly is a pretty simple but cool concept, shame they were hobble by being on the fucking PSP and I say that as someone that liked playing them.
>>
File: 1503436160451.png (761KB, 924x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1503436160451.png
761KB, 924x1200px
>>
>>55067641
Unless it's a wall of dicks.
>>
>>55076380
Oh hey thanks for the enemy idea, I've got something to stat now
>>
I'd love to play this, are there any games I could join?
>>
>>55080427
Well
>>54973475
I just had a player drop out, and there's also
>>54992132
Is running a game as well!
>>
>>54972376
So is anyone actually working on translating the legion rules? Going off the one blurb about them they are just damage sponges.
>>
>>55081787
Are there more detailed legion rules? On Miraheze, everything that was already translated was gone over for double checking. If there was anything more on legions, it should have been seen already. Most likely, legions are just exactly that: damage sponges. They're the weakest, least interesting type of enemy, the actual mindless hordes of shambling zombies. Of course they're not good as anything but fodder.
>>
>>55081906
I was referring to this stub.
https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/Creating_Enemies#Creating_Legions

I wasn't sure if there was anything more since there seems to be a question as to whether translations are needed.

This section seems to be all there is, and it's fine since Legions are just fodder but I wasn't sure if there were any other rules I should be aware of.
https://nechronica.miraheze.org/wiki/The_Necromancer%27s_Minions#Legions
>>
>>55081988
Ah, right, that was always there. Now you mention that, I'm honestly not sure there isn't supposed to be more. It could be that whatever was there was either inconsequential or basically said something in the same vein, but it seems strange to still have that question be there if things really were checked over.
>>
File: 1497941114886.jpg (214KB, 1600x896px) Image search: [Google]
1497941114886.jpg
214KB, 1600x896px
>>55081787
>>55081906
>>55081988
>>55082075
I've asked our primary translator if this is the case. If it is, I'll rewrite it to be clearer; at the very least, include a line saying it's what the book says.

Something else I would also enjoy: If anyone has read the wiki and found awkward/stilted wording, or other sources of confusion, please post them in the thread. I'll see about making them read better (and don't mention Legion Confluence, because that's definitely going to be rewritten when I have the free time).

>>55080369
guru is love, guru is life.
>>
File: 1478073917237.png (1MB, 1200x1261px) Image search: [Google]
1478073917237.png
1MB, 1200x1261px
>>
File: 7056d2782de16704cd0bd97572b5dd48.jpg (553KB, 1000x1193px) Image search: [Google]
7056d2782de16704cd0bd97572b5dd48.jpg
553KB, 1000x1193px
(pic spoilered because one expose nipple)

>>54974337
I would like to see the french translation. Most of my friends enjoy learning about new games, but don't speak english that well.
>>
>>55089124

...A bit more than a nipple is exposed there, bud.
Still, it isn't meant to be sexual so it might be ok.
>>
File: 1499819533430.jpg (115KB, 500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1499819533430.jpg
115KB, 500x1000px
>>
>>55083075
More left to look over, but post's at character limit:

Automaton's 'I Am a Doll' reads "Only in the first turn of combat, you can ignore the effect of every insanity." Pretty sure that probably means "During the first Round of combat you can ignore the effect of all Fetters in Madness." or something like that, but it's still inconsistent with other wordings and somewhat confusing.
Junk's 'Damaged Goods' says that "At the end of a Round during the Battle Phase, even if your Treasure was damaged, you do not receive a Madness Point." I assume the effect is two-fold, preventing end of round madness gain and madness gain from a treasure breaking, but the two end up conflated as it reads right now and may possibly confuse new players.
Baroque's 'Regeneration' states Defense 1, instead of Defend, just a slight inconsistency and not so much confusing. Same seems to go for Psychadelic's Will to Refuse.
The page on madness states initially that you're broken-hearted if you fill all fetters and then accumulate an additional madness point; further down, it states that anyone with all fetters filled is broken-hearted. The former is more clearly rules text, while the latter looks more like a fluff blurb, but it could still cause confusions.

Movement, as explained on the Maneuvers page, has never made satisfactory sense to me. Looking more closely, it says you basically declare a direction and move in that direction. If I'm not much mistaken, you're not declaring "I'm going to move to Eden." so much as "I'm moving in the direction of Eden." Essentially where the distinction matters is Hinder Moves and things like Animal Legs, where it would mean you could still go from Limbo to Hades, for example, even if someone declares a Hinder Move, because while you intended to stop at Hades, your part can move you two zones if necessary, leaving the spare to carry you on to Hades regardless. Probably this is just needless pedantry and autism, but clarification could be helpful.
>>
So for abilities that have "Dance of Distortion" in the title, that just means that those skills were introduced with that splat correct? Or do you have to be a Psychedelic to use them?
>>
>>55096258
That should just be a note that they were introduced in the Dance of Distortion splat, yes. They're still for the class in question, you do not need to be psychic to learn Instrument of Evil or Crystallization for example. If that were different, they'd either all be on Psychadelic's page as sub-skills, or there'd be some note on the class pages.
>>
>>55096308
Cool, just covering my bases. Thanks.
>>
>>54972376
So does anyone have any google sheets versions of the character sheets? I'm getting ready to run a game online so am going to need some way to look at my player's sheets while we're playing.
>>
>>55083075
Continuing on:

Combat page, under escape, states "This can be attempted by any Dolls within Eden. If they are all make Movement Maneuvers, they may make an additional Check in the fashion of an Action Check." Grammar aside, it implies everyone needs to make the escape attempt together, which disagrees with everything else stating it just happens doll by doll.
Confusing in a different way is a segue on the same page, under moving heavy objects, where it tells you well enough how to handle that and then talks about attacks that might cause madness checks and how you can't make a conversation check mid-fight unless you have a maneuver for it. It's less confusing in wording, and more confusing as to "How does this remotely relate to what I was just told?"
On the Enemy Data page, Lift Vice's Motor Gear is kind of weird, especially when it's basically an Unarmed specific Spikes, a part which has a much neater wording.
Mad Gasser is similarly strange with Auto Control Equipment, which I assume is Unfazed but a part, and again worded weirdly.
Meat Shredder's Rush is Charge, except it only calls you to make an Unarmed Attack (Of which it has none.) as opposed to stating the Unarmed Attack you make, is for some reason Action timing and thus not actually timed for once you've paid for the movement you need to use it, and in general just isn't sensible. Something is fucked there translation-wise.
Teeth Bug just below does the same thing, but at least it has an Unarmed maneuver. It also has a differently translated, differently named Unfazed, like the Gasser.
Monster has Steel Bone(s), sans the s, but with 0 AP cost? May just be an enemy only thing, but still strikes me as queer.
Valkyrie's Rush is the third one, and even reads differently. Still Action timing, but at least it states the part itself deals the Unarmed attack.

>>55097112
Never heard of an online sheet, but using this template to track damage/note parts works well enough. https://pastebin.com/zuxghk7A
>>
>>55083075
One other note is that on Combat, there was a use of Turn as a term in place of Round, and then on the Enemy Data/Enemy Only Parts pages, that also kicks up a lot actually. The terms are probably interchangeable, but consistency is nice regardless, especially when a turn is more generally understood as the time where you get to act. Might end up conflated with Count by newer players, I'm not sure.
That just leaves incredibly, intensely minor things like the Enemy Data page looking like it was done by three different translators that couldn't quite agree on precise phrasing and terminology, and things like Self timing being there as self, uncapitalized. But that much is intensely minor, and given how Nechronica's history has shaken out, it probably was gone over by three different translators at various points, so that's well more than understandable.

Hopefully at least some of the shit I pointed out is actually what you were looking for, I just figured at least someone should go over it since you were asking.
>>
>>55097269
Oh, this is a start. Thanks for that.
>>
>>55048599
More like a mimic that doesn't mind being immobile, but does mind catching fire inside.
>>
>>55096234
>>55097269
>>55097405
Thanks for the feedback. Will look it over when I have more time.
>>
File: 1482122718548.png (2MB, 1200x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1482122718548.png
2MB, 1200x1082px
>>
>>55105050
I never realized how creepy SMB's house was.
>>
File: 1494364927896.png (3MB, 1900x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1494364927896.png
3MB, 1900x1344px
>>55109104
I like his dog, though.
>>
File: 1466284573853.jpg (223KB, 900x1287px) Image search: [Google]
1466284573853.jpg
223KB, 900x1287px
Thread posts: 268
Thread images: 103

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.