[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paizo Games General /pgg/ (also /pfg/)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 65

File: 57341543_p0.jpg (307KB, 1050x1500px) Image search: [Google]
57341543_p0.jpg
307KB, 1050x1500px
Paizo Games General /pgg/ (also /pfg/)

Has the Solarian (no blitz soldier dip edition) been BTFO now and for all time?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): https://pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): https://pastebin.com/3GfJKi0y
Current Playtests: https://pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread: >>54894564
>>
>>54899983
Of course it's not for all time.
It's a fucking soulknife. A first party soulknife.
Give it maybe two years, and even graviton abilities will have an awesome selection... so long as you're not playing, uh, SFS?
>>
>>54899983

Solarian isn't that bad, it's comparable to a soldier in terms of DPR and gets some nifty tricks up its sleeve.
>>
>>54900126
All the DPR comparisons I've seen so far with the soldier though ignore all the Gear Boost tricks and bonus feats they get. If we say the Solarian's revelations are on par with the gear-boosts (and I think they're more situational than "all your blast weapons get +2 damage") that still leaves the solarian with a couple of literally-dead levels (5 and 15), and a lesser "primary technique", since they'll have to buy gear anyways.
>>
>>54900126
I want to see full autistic min-maxed DPR olympics.
>>
File: d7898143ba0584cda36c3869bbe8cef8.png (939KB, 1000x1098px) Image search: [Google]
d7898143ba0584cda36c3869bbe8cef8.png
939KB, 1000x1098px
I am reposting this.

I have played through a second session of Starfinder at 1st level, this time as a human solarian. tl;dr = It was awful, and we died.

In my first session (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uimg?Trip-Report-My-first-Starfinder-session) , our party was composed of an ysoki operative (ghost), a pike-wielding vesk soldier (blitz), a human mystic (xenodruid), and an android technomancer. Although our soldier had major trouble with attack rolls due to poor luck, we blazed through the adventure with flying colors. We trounced three skill-based noncombat sequences and three battles with ease. We experienced not a single hitch, there were no tense moments, and our combat victories were foregone conclusions. Most notably, my operative was unquestionably the MVP of the entire party; they were a juggernaut of a skill monkey who handled the great majority of the party's skill checks, and they put up a ferocious fight thanks to trick attacks as well. Granted, the GM was running the operative (ghost) RAW.

In this new, second session, the GM and I played through the same adventure again, with two different players; I tried to minimize my metaknowledge. Our party was smaller: a human solarian, a human soldier (sharpshoot) with an azimuth artillery laser, and a human mystic (healer). The GM opted to ease up on the skill-based noncombat-sequences and to downgrade the encounters to half their original strength (e.g. an encounter with four equal-powered enemies went down to only two opponents) to compensate for a weaker party. In other words, we were playing through a significantly easier version of the adventure, with a small yet unavoidable amount of metaknowledge atop that.
>>
File: f833f8348b277836d38acb6e3853696b.jpg (646KB, 651x1000px) Image search: [Google]
f833f8348b277836d38acb6e3853696b.jpg
646KB, 651x1000px
>>54900229

I had built my solarian as best as I could: Strength 18, Dexterity 14, Heavy Armor Proficiency, Weapon Focus (advanced melee weapons), a tactical pike, and hidden soldier armor. Unfortunately, this left me with exactly 1 Resolve Point, and made Black Hole and Supernova nigh-unusable. This means that for all intents and purposes, my character was a classless character with a +1 bonus to damage rolls and a pathetic 1 Resolve Point. I have no idea why Charisma is the solarian's key ability score; it should really be Strength. Raising Charisma would have meant sacrificing Strength or Dexterity, and I was unwilling to do either as the party's only front-liner.

What anyone serious about playing a solarian should do is take a level of soldier (blitz) as their very first character level. This grants Strength or Dexterity as a key ability score, proficiency with heavy armor, +4 initiative, and +10 speed, thereby solving a host of the solarian's issues. From there, take solarian levels.

In any case, the session. Our party struggled through the two skill-based noncombat sequences, even taking into account that the GM had made them easier. Whereas my Intelligence 16 operative carried the entire group outside of combat, my Intelligence/Wisdom/Charisma 10 solarian had a hard time with such things. Much of the time, they just did not have the skills with which to meaningfully contribute, and their skill bonuses were not especially high. Such is the hard lot of a Strength-primary character: twiddling thumbs when not in battle. We definitely suffered for having no operative around, and no Intelligence-based character altogether.
>>
File: f7967d42afb86ab12b064aa41d003261.png (970KB, 1450x1553px) Image search: [Google]
f7967d42afb86ab12b064aa41d003261.png
970KB, 1450x1553px
>>54900239

The first fight was rough. We were only three PCs, but the GM had halved the number of enemies in the battle, so in theory, it should have been an even easier fight than before. Perhaps due to poor rolls on our side, we blundered through much of it. My character stayed in photon mode throughout the whole battle, and never used Black Hole or Supernova. Even if my character was a Charisma 16 lashunta solarian instead, it would not have mattered, as there were no good opportunities to actually use either revelation; the enemies were too spread-out, as a single melee unit and a single ranged unit.

The second battle was a catastrophe. It was against a single melee unit that the GM had downgraded to accommodate the weaker party. Naturally, Black Hole and Supernova had no place here, so I would not have used them even if my character's Charisma was any better. My character was thus nothing more than a classless character with a +1 bonus to damage rolls and a measly 1 Resolve Point. We did our best, but the rolls turned against us.

Here is where the 1 Resolve truly screwed us over: both the solarian and the mystic went down, and it just so happened that the mystic was also down to 1 Resolve Point, because they spent it all earlier restoring Hit Points mid-battle via Healing Channel. Our soldier was busy trying to take down the dangerous enemy, and by the time said opponent was dead, the solarian and the mystic were likewise dead.

I imagine that we would have fared much more aptly with more fortunate dice luck, but that does not change the fact that the operative was performing at mediocre capacities outside of combat, that there were no good moments to actually use Black Hole and Supernova (never mind that my character had to have Charisma 10), and that low Resolve Points truly screw a party over.

If you are still set on playing a solarian after this, take a level in soldier (blitz) first. Trust me. The solarian was a disappointment.
>>
>>54900206

Yeah, in terms of gear/cash the only benefit is that when disarmed of their crystal they can still deal "decent" (on par with basic melee weapons) damage while a soldier without a weapon is kinda fucked unless vesk or someone with Improved Unarmed Strikes.
>>
>>54900248

Past 1st level, the solarian is actually a competent damage-dealer under the "one true build" that is Stellar Rush at 2nd, Plasma Sheath at 4th, and Corona at 6th. A solarian with such a build is really quite competent at closing into melee and dealing large amounts of damage. It means totally ignoring graviton mode, graviton revelations, Black Hole, and Supernova, but such is life as a solarian.

In a world wherein grenades, AoE weapons, and other AoE effects are commonplace, it is not as if you are going to see non-animalistic enemies willingly clustering together anyway. Black Hole and Supernova can warm the bench, even for a solarian who puts points into Charisma.

It is just that having to spend a feat for Heavy Armor Proficiency is a pain, and so is having Charisma as a key ability modifier. That is why the first level of soldier (blitz) is so important: it gives heavy armor proficiency, Strength or Dexterity as a key ability modifier, and +4 initiative and +10 speed atop all that.
>>
File: unused picture 58.jpg (32KB, 286x442px) Image search: [Google]
unused picture 58.jpg
32KB, 286x442px
I want healing magic to be necromancy again. Do any of you see any problems houseruling that all healing is necromancy?
>>
>>54899983
Yes. If you want to be a jedi, wait for spess initiators from DSP.
>>
>>54900271

If the party's soldier was a "tactical pike and hidden soldier armor" 1st-level character as well, then there is a good chance my character would not have died. That said, my solarian would have been just as mediocre as a ranged character. Solarians have proficiency with advanced melee weapons but not longarms, so that would mean spending a feat on Longarm Proficiency. At least I could have benefited from solar armor then.

I did feel justified in taking Dexterity 14 though, as the extra 2 AC and initiative mattered. If I had opted for Charisma 14 instead, my character would have still been stomped, just in a different way: being hit more often and having only 3 Resolve Points.

Combat in Starfinder generally is not gritty at all, even at 1st level. In our first group, wherein I was playing an operative rather than a solarian, we breezed through combat. We found it not a single bit gritty due to an abundance of Stamina Points, Hit Points, and Resolve Points despite our party's Constitution scores being 10, 10, 10, and 12.

It is just that in the new group with the solarian, that solarian's Resolve 1 truly bit us in the back (but no more so than setting Dexterity to 10), and unfortunate rolls exacerbated this.

A melee solarian is stuck between a rock and a hard place due to having Charisma as a key ability score. This can be solved by a one-level dip in soldier (blitz), of course.
>>
>>54900272
The only healing magic that should be considered necromancy is the ones that do things like removing disease.
>>
>>54900260
Actually... Can a solarian crystal even use a fusion?
>>
>>54900281

To put it another why, to the question, "Why did you take Dexterity 14 and not Charisma 14?", I say:

1. There were no good opportunities to use Black Hole or Supernova in either battle. There were no enemies clustering up, and I do not expect non-animalistic enemies to do so in a setting wherein grenades, AoE weapons, and other AoE effects are commonplace. Even if I did have good Charisma, it is not as though I would have been able to put Black Hole or Supernova to good use.
It was difficult to justify using AoE abilities on singular enemies when it would have been better to keep swinging with Weapon Focus and a +1 damage bonus. Having Charisma 14 (i.e. being hit more often) would not have changed that.

2. I felt justified in taking Dexterity 14. The extra 2 AC and initiative mattered. If I had opted for Charisma 14 instead, my character would have still been put into the ground by virtue of being hit more often. AC actually matters, particularly if one is the party's only frontliner. In other words, my character would have died regardless if they had Dexterity 14 and Charisma 10, Dexterity 12 and Charisma 12, or Dexterity 10 and Charisma 14.
If I had opted for Charisma 14, my character would have gone unconscious earlier, thereby forcing the other two PCs to scramble about to get me back on my feet.

>>54900295

I am unsure if they can.
>>
>>54900272
Not really. Conjuration (healing) is kind've nonsense to begin with. You'd be reverting a change made in 3.0 -> 3.5 if you made them Necromancy spells.

There might be a couple of options out there that are tagged as improving Conjuration (healing) spells, but they're trivial to line edit.
>>
>>54900271
Why solar rush?
>>
File: x3fewx.jpg (122KB, 1241x900px) Image search: [Google]
x3fewx.jpg
122KB, 1241x900px
Second opinions wanted.

I finally have a new group for pathfinder. I am walking them through character creation, and they are marching out the stereotypes.

>Kitsune nature oracle using a hornbow
The only experienced player, 1/5 characters on her prebuilt "want to play" pile

>Dragon bloodline sorcerer (race?)
"I want to be a water dragon" I sold her on the idea that dragons hide their young by polymorphing them into other species and orphaning them. The hatchlings grow and learn and travel until they can dispel their parent's polymorph.

>Orc titian mauler barbarian/titian fighter/ synthesist summoner
WoW player, wants to 2h with oversized weapons. Also the "I want to sit back and let the rest of the party make the decisions" guy
>>
>>54900295
Most fusions are shit anyways; the price for the same thing goes up with the weapon level. In other words, adding Glamered to a level 20 weapon adds 135k to the cost. You can also put it on a consumable like a grenade at "only" half that price!

So for just 67.5k you can glammer a level 20 grenade.
>>
>>54900375
Said level 20 grenade also costs about 200,000 credits on its own, too. Grenades are way the fuck too expensive to be practical.
>>
>>54900370
...what opinions are you looking for? 'Stereotypes are bad'?

Not that any make much sense as stereotypes. Water-dragon wounds really weird, I've never heard of an oracle with a bow, 'wants to sit back' is part stereotype and part universal character trait.
>>
>>54900390
Didn't someone say that a Returning grenade is effectively infinite? Forgive my ignorance; I'm a new PF GM and haven't kept up with SF info.
>>
File: 5e08158a219c778eeb95a5bc85e5d8ff.jpg (598KB, 1457x1035px) Image search: [Google]
5e08158a219c778eeb95a5bc85e5d8ff.jpg
598KB, 1457x1035px
Here is a direct quote from my GM concerning the solarian:

"I looked through solarion [sic] myself before the first iteration of this game, when I thought another friend of mine might be playing, and solarian was [not taken by me]. I really couldn't see a build any different to [mine] being anywhere near as good. Solarion [sic] simply isn't as cha-dependent as it wants to be, and where it is dependent- resolve points- it isn't dependent in a fun way."

Even my GM thought me justified in taking Dexterity 14 over Charisma 14, and it still did not pan out.

>>54900366

Stellar Rush is a standard action charge (i.e. double your move speed) with neither the -2 attack nor the -2 AC. That is incredible for battlefield mobility as a frontliner.
>>
>>54900370
Sounds alright to me.
>>
>>54900390
Yeah what the hell is up with that anyways?

>Shock Grenade V: Level 20: 9d12E Explode 15ft
110 000 credits

>Tempest-Class Shock Caster: Level 20: 7d12E Explode 20ft, Charges 100 Usage 10
735 000

So a shock-caster deals 2 less dice of damage but gets to add stuff like deadly aim and re-usable fusions at least. But it costs less than seven shock grenades, has longer range, and can be recharged.
>>
How would you fix Pathfinder?
>>
File: anjMwMo_700b.jpg (56KB, 540x416px) Image search: [Google]
anjMwMo_700b.jpg
56KB, 540x416px
>the cleric we've been hanging out with is actually a necromancer.
>we never noticed for 3 sessions because we never got significantly injured and just relied on infernal healing offcombat
>the revelation came too late when she turns the BBEG into an undead minion
>undead minion is used as a puppet leader for a small army
>>
>>54900335

To add to this, my character was not supposed to be a "tank." They were supposed to be a frontliner, dealing heavy damage to enemies to the tune of 1d8+5, while threatening enemies with attacks of opportunity from reach.

If I had opted for a lower Strength, then my character would have been flailing around even more ineffectually by virtue of not contributing to the goal of "make the enemies dead."

Also, as per page 251, Resolve can keep you in a fight only if you are stable, or if you were knocked unconscious by nonlethal damage. It is not just something you can do when an enemy sends you to 0 HP through lethal damage. You cannot spend Resolve Points to stabilize and to get back into battle during the same turn, and someone stabilizing you with healing is probably going to also restore your Hit Points simultaneously.

Resolve would have allowed me to recover SP, but being hit less often (e.g. from having higher Dexterity) would have prevented SP/HP loss. That actually happened during the session a few times; Dexterity was paying off. It ultimately was not enough.
>>
File: not shocked.jpg (109KB, 1131x627px) Image search: [Google]
not shocked.jpg
109KB, 1131x627px
>>54900413

Actually...

I don't think it says anywhere that the grenade is destroyed from use. So unless a plasma cannon is also destroyed when fired...

It's... not 100% but it's possible that by RAW right now, ALL you need to do is run over and pick up the grenade after it blows... and you can throw it immediately again.

That anon might be right; not because of 'Returning' but because they're nothing but a thrown weapon with the explosion ability on their attack.
>>
>>54900495
It's... questionable. Paizo's also made it clear that they're going to errata the subject to make it clear that they're supposed to be destroyed on use.
>>
>>54900413
>>54900495
No, stop being dumb
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/6sm438/we_make_the_starfinder_rpgask_us_anything/dleil6e/
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui71&page=1?Can-grenades-be-retrieved
>>
File: Unused Picture 7.jpg (137KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
Unused Picture 7.jpg
137KB, 751x1063px
>>54900290
Necromancy is the school dealing with the body. If necromancy can fuck up a body, fill it with disease, and animate it, then necromancy can heal, remove disease, and resurrect the dead.
>>
>>54900370
Second opinions as alternative suggestions for how to make my players happy in their chosen roles

>>54900400
I guess the, I want to be strong and hit things with big sharp things and not have to do any of the thinking or talking is the only real stereotype, but "I want to play as a dragon" has been mememing a bunch lately.

>kitsune is so deep into weeaboo they are trying to make a "proper" samurai around mounted archery (nature oracle gives an animal companion mount with base 6 int) and Shinto worship of nature
>>
>>54900495

Owen K.C. Stephens has covered this:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui71&page=2?Can-grenades-be-retrieved#75

>Owen K. C. Stephens Developer, Starfinder Team

>Since I just wrote this out for the AMA anyway:
>Grenades are ranged weapons. Their description on page 183 is clear on that point. As a result, they use Strength as the bonus to their attack rolls. Grenades are heavy, and getting them within 5 feet of where you want them is about heft of throw as much as anything, and that's how thrown weapons work ([bad example removed in edit]).
>Grenades do NOT have the thrown special weapon quality. This means they do not add Strength modifier to damage, and are not reusable. While science-fi does have some reusable grenades in it, the general definition of grenade defines a one-use item. If we ever opt to have reusable grenades, we'll call them out as exceptions.
>The save DCs for grenades is based on Dexterity, and this is where your finesse of proper placement comes in.
>Sadly, that is handled incorrectly in a a spot in the book. It's a known issue, and one we'll address sometime after the release date.
>>
>>54900530
So then they ARE completely worthless.
>>
>>54900530
While the thrown property talks about having to go get it where it landed, it in and of itself does nothing for preventing a weapon's destruction or ensuring that those without it are not destroyed.

How did they even fuck up with basics like "do you add strength" in the book to begin with? This is what happens when you keep only your tonguiest asslickers to do your playtesting for you.
>>
File: 874bb7975de076fe5a71c2d3e3e0007b.jpg (896KB, 1440x2036px) Image search: [Google]
874bb7975de076fe5a71c2d3e3e0007b.jpg
896KB, 1440x2036px
>>54900229
>>54900239
>>54900248
>>54900271
>>54900281
>>54900335
>>54900415
>>54900494

This incident, by the way, was home to my first proper character death ever, and also my first TPK (well, two out of three player characters died) on the player side.

I knew what I was signing up for as a 1st-level solarian, however.

>>54900581

Starfinder reeks of having been rushed for GenCon.
>>
>>54900248

Wouldn't a non-blitz soldier have fared roughly just as badly?
>>
>>54900593
Wasn't it in "playtesting" for over a year?
>>
>>54900520
>Necromancy is the school dealing with the body.

No it's not, it's the school dealing with death and disease.
>>
>>54900593
That's what they get for not doing an open playtest.
>>
>>54900596

A soldier would have at least had good Resolve out of the box, and heavy armor proficiency without having to spend a feat on it.

A 1st-level human melee soldier (blitz) can take Strength 18 and Dexterity 14 and be on their merry way.

Why does a solarian have to put up with, "Sorry, but your key ability modifier is Charisma?" That serves no mechanical purpose but to downgrade solarians with MAD.

A 1st-level human melee soldier (blitz) who does opt for Strength 18 and Dexterity 14 can then take the rest of their levels in solarian, with the usual Stellar Rush at solarian 2, Plasma Sheath at solarian 4, and Corona at solarian 6. This makes them a more practical and playable solarian than a pure-classed solarian ever could be.

Constitution is not particularly important for durability in Starfinder. Our first party had absolutely no trouble with the combat encounters, and they had Constitution scores of 10, 10, 10, and 12.
>>
So I'm new to Golarion, and I'm wondering, what is the most secure area on the plane you can ask to be in?

I'm an alchemist running a series of doppleganger simulacrums and another series of clones of myself.

So I can sit in my summer home in a panic room, project my consciousness to a clone and accompany the party.
But where should I put my summer home? I'm concerned about creatures scrying my location, is there somewhere particularly safe I could locate myself?
>>
>>54900602
Internally. But Paizo's the company that bans people for mentioning shit like Same Game Tests or any form of destructive testing/analysis, so it was probably just a few lunch break campaigns slowly patched together that ran up to around 10th level.
>>
>>54900650
...heh. I have an idea.
Set up shop in one of the early rooms of the Test of the Starstone.
>>
>>54900625
If anything, an open playtest would bring them several months back.

We all know Paizo is shit when it comes to game balance. Why do you think they keep throwing in several erratas and faqs?

They keep these shit hidden so they can show that they're working according to schedules.
>>
>>54900672
Wait so wouldn't "this part doesn't work" or "there's no rules in regards to this situation" be basically banned from ever getting fixed because that might make someone's feelings lightly pinched?
>>
Does Starfinder have Evasion? Because there's a lot of reflex stuff in there
>>
>>54900756
Of course it does. Operatives get it at level 2, and plenty of monsters will have it later on. You didn't really think your soldier would get to do a bunch of area damage in practice did you?
>>
Here is how I see a melee soldier (blitz) 1/solarian (solar weapon) 19 spreading their ability scores, before theme and before personal upgrades:

• 1st-level: Strength 18, Dexterity 14, Constitution 10, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10
• 5th-level: Strength 19, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 12, Charisma 10
• 10th-level: Strength 20, Dexterity 18, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 14, Charisma 10
• 15th-level: Strength 21, Dexterity 19, Constitution 16, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 16, Charisma 10
• 20th-level: Strength 22, Dexterity 20, Constitution 18, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 18, Charisma 10

A nice thing here is that unlike a pure-classed solarian, a melee soldier (blitz) 1/solarian (solar weapon) 19 will actually be raising their Wisdom, thereby making it less likely for them to succumb to Will-save-forcers.

Does anyone see an issue with such a progression?
>>
>>54900593
8 separate posts when you could have just linked once to read instead of eating up that many threadposts. And half of them are "and here's why I'm right in choosing a stat without any way of people arguing against me".

Fuck off back to wherever you came from.
>>
>>54899983
I could have sworn there was a sneak attack increasing spell, possibly level 4 or 5 wizard spell, that would give 4d6 at the highest applicable CL.

Anyone know the spell? Google mostly gives results on Arcane Trickster builds or spells that work well with sneak attack.
>>
currently recruiting games are:
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/85043/bones-and-bed-shackles (ends this week...if it is real) - lewd AP
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/85418/mint-rebels-double-treason (ends next week) - rationalist spin on Hell's Rebels AP
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/84677/godslayers (ends in one month and a half) - kill gods, be mythic

Only those who have applied can get into the game. Finish your app, anon!
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>54900248
>>54901011
>Solarian key ability score is CHA
>Uses CHA as a dump stat
>Only has one resolve point capacity
>"lol solarian worst class, tpk"

Tell me more.
>>
>>54901073
Sense Vitals.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sense-vitals/

2nd level spell, goes up to 5d6
>>
>>54901104

Again, to the question, "Why did you take Dexterity 14 and not Charisma 14?", I say:

1. There were no good opportunities to use Black Hole or Supernova in either battle. There were no enemies clustering up, and I do not expect non-animalistic enemies to do so in a setting wherein grenades, AoE weapons, and other AoE effects are commonplace. Even if I did have good Charisma, it is not as though I would have been able to put Black Hole or Supernova to good use.
It was difficult to justify using AoE abilities on singular enemies when it would have been better to keep swinging with Weapon Focus and a +1 damage bonus. Having Charisma 14 (i.e. being hit more often) would not have changed that.

2. I felt justified in taking Dexterity 14. The extra 2 AC and initiative mattered. If I had opted for Charisma 14 instead, my character would have still been put into the ground by virtue of being hit more often. AC actually matters, particularly if one is the party's only frontliner. In other words, my character would have died regardless if they had Dexterity 14 and Charisma 10, Dexterity 12 and Charisma 12, or Dexterity 10 and Charisma 14.
If I had opted for Charisma 14, my character would have gone unconscious earlier, thereby forcing the other two PCs to scramble about to get me back on my feet.

Here is a direct quote from my GM concerning the solarian:

"I looked through solarion [sic] myself before the first iteration of this game, when I thought another friend of mine might be playing, and solarian was [not taken by me]. I really couldn't see a build any different to [mine] being anywhere near as good. Solarion [sic] simply isn't as cha-dependent as it wants to be, and where it is dependent- resolve points- it isn't dependent in a fun way."

Even my GM thought me justified in taking Dexterity 14 over Charisma 14, and it still did not pan out.

Meanwhile, a 1st-level human melee soldier (blitz) can take Strength 18 and Dexterity 14 and be on their merry way.
>>
>>54901118
Nice, thanks. I've been looking for this for hours now.
>>
>>54899768
Put both in your app one after another, then pick whichever one you like more later. You'll probably be rejected for timezone reasons anyway.

>>54895154
I can swear that if I were making Mint Rebels into a bamboozle, I would at least wait until second session to mysteriously dissapear. First session guaranteed happening.
>>
>>54901118
What constitutes manufactured? It had to be crafted? What about creation spells?
>>
File: unknown.png (977KB, 856x785px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
977KB, 856x785px
>>54901146
Not a problem, friend.
>>
>>54900623
Actually, Necromancy is the school that deals with life and death. Just as fire and ice are the same school so are positive and negative energy, which are the basis of both healing creatures and making undead.
>>
>>54900739
That is quite literally what happened during PF's early days.
>>
File: WolfRider.jpg (78KB, 1024x583px) Image search: [Google]
WolfRider.jpg
78KB, 1024x583px
>>54900370
>WoW player, wants to 2h with oversized weapons. Also the "I want to sit back and let the rest of the party make the decisions" guy

It seems he wants to treat this as more of a wargame, and I think he's going to be a bit disappointed when he finds that martials aren't all that great. I'd encourage him to try and make a bit more of a well-rounded character rather than just the hulk on training wheels.

I mean, it *sounds* fun for a session, but it gets stale fast. The only person I've ever seen play that type of character for any length of time was an aspergers guy and he was also a wow fiend; responsible for two characters I know of a pink-haired gnome barbarian (WHO WAS A LESBIAN, DID SHE TELL YOU SHE WAS A LESBIAN?) who acted retarded all the time, and a large sized lizardfolk who acted similarly retarded (but with an added dose of raping anything he beat in combat!).
>>
File: 1502486937241.jpg (189KB, 541x550px) Image search: [Google]
1502486937241.jpg
189KB, 541x550px
>>54899983
Is it safe to assume for my part that Pathfinder and Paizo games are settings which are all diverse and multiple fantasy-fiction elements and themes mixed together in one neat setting and universe. Even high fantasy and sci-fi worlds collide too?

Pic semi-related.
>>
>>54901361
Really? I mean it would explain a lot, but, how do you write or design anything if you can't even take criticism or... you know... math... properly?
>>
>>54901672
Less diverse and more kitchen sink.
>>
>>54901672
It's the worst kind of kitchen-sink, so you're not wrong.

Except the tech sucks balls (magic items at x2 cost: "antimagic" field doesn't work there's cheaper and lower level anti-tech equivalents that work better), wizards are so disproportionately powerful and numerous for what they can do that there's no reason for any of the world to still be like it is, and the area with crashed starships and robots is right in the middle of four or five other countries that all somehow haven't figured it out yet.
>>
>>54901727
>Less diverse and more kitchen sink

What's that supposed to mean? Layman's terms and in English please?
>>
>>54901738
Different settings are stapled together with no regards for sanity, logic, or how they should by all rights influence one another.
>>
>>54901738
>>54901757
And if those settings do interact, they are usually a self contained bubble within one region. And while those bubbles are from time to time really well written and far extending (Geb's bubble reaches all the way to the Land of the Linnorm Kings) they are usually as such only because one of their biggest fans is a big name in Paizo. Numeria for one has had a presence in only two AP's: Kingmaker as an off-shoot mention of how a character has some better than normal goodies and Iron Gods which is in Numeria.
>>
As far as I can tell, the build below is the single most powerful solarian build for actually being a strong and durable combatant, starting from 1st level. I have already explained the troubles with being a pure-classed solarian above, and so it is time to patch those problems with some old-fashioned optimization.

• At 1st-level, you are a generic "tactical pike and hidden soldier armor" soldier. You act first, you run up to people, you stab them, and you threaten them with attacks of opportunity.

• At 2nd-level, you gain +1 damage. Hooray.

• At 3rd-level, your mobility sharply increases as you gain Stellar Rush. You should ignore the bull rush function in almost all cases. You should instead use Stellar Rush for unparalleled melee mobility.

• At 5th-level, you gain a major upgrade to your raw melee damage from Plasma Sheath. You start combat with a move action for Plasma Sheath, and then launch into a Stellar Rush. You also gain Enhanced Resistance (kinetic), making you quite durable.

• At 7th-level, you open up combats with a move action for a Plasma Sheath and a standard action for a Corona. You now have a passive aura for damage, and anyone striking you will suffer damage. Also at this level is when you might want to drop the tactical pike and start to use your solar weapon with a solarian weapon crystal.

• After that point, the build is mostly yours to piece together. Whether you will prefer your solar weapon with a solarian weapon crystal or a high-level two-handed advanced melee weapon depends on your specific level and what you have the budget to afford.

• During this process, you completely ignore the existence of Black Hole, Supernova, graviton mode, and almost all graviton revelations. Why bother with them when you can stay attuned in photon mode for the raw damage and other benefits? Photon zenith revelations, on the other hand, may be worth it from time to time.
>>
>>54901838
Afaik that's because Golarion was literally stitched from fragments of authors' home settings. And if you look closely, you can even see the borders.
>>
>>54901911

What do you think of the build below, then?

Theme: Any
Race: Human
Class: Soldier (blitz) 1/solarian (solar weapon) 19

1st-level Equipment:
• 475 credits: Pike, tactical
• 465 credits: Hidden soldier armor (with free personal comm unit as per page 430)
• Remaining: 60 credits

Ability Scores before Theme and Personal Upgrades:
• 1st-level: Strength 18, Dexterity 14, Constitution 10, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10
• 5th-level: Strength 19, Dexterity 16, Constitution 12, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 12, Charisma 10
• 10th-level: Strength 20, Dexterity 18, Constitution 14, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 14, Charisma 10
• 15th-level: Strength 21, Dexterity 19, Constitution 16, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 16, Charisma 10
• 20th-level: Strength 22, Dexterity 20, Constitution 18, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 18, Charisma 10
• Top Priority for Personal Upgrades: Strength

Feats:
Human: Improved Initiative
• 1st Level: Weapon Focus (advanced melee weapons)
• 3rd Level: Weapon Specialization (advanced melee weapons), retrained at 4th level to [whichever out of Coordinated Shot, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, and Toughness you think will benefit you most] via mnemonic editor mk 1 for 500 credits
• 5th Level: Enhanced Resistance (kinetic)
• 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15, 17th, and 19th Level: [Whichever out of Deflect Projectiles, Lunge, Penetrating Attack, Reflect Projectiles, Sky Jockey, Step Up, Step Up and Strike you think will benefit you most, you qualify for, and you do not already have]
>>
>>54901911
Have you considered that the rolls were too good vs. you, 2hu, and that's why you died?
>>
File: 97a70ff92b378875e4e83a19f4c7e8fe.jpg (886KB, 1000x1470px) Image search: [Google]
97a70ff92b378875e4e83a19f4c7e8fe.jpg
886KB, 1000x1470px
>>54901917

Selectable Stellar Revelations:
• Solarian 2/Character Level 3: Stellar Rush
• Solarian 4/Character Level 5: Plasma Sheath
• Solarian 6/Character Level 7: Corona
• Solarian 8/Character Level 9: [Whichever out of Astrologic Sense, Blazing Orbit, or Glow of Life you think will benefit you most, though probably Blazing Orbit if your GM rules that the fire damage applies to each square]
• Solarian 9/Character Level 10: Solar Acceleration and Wormholes
• Solarian 10/Character Level 11: Soul Furnace
• Solarian 12/Character Level 13: [Whichever out of Astrologic Sense, Blazing Orbit, Glow of Life, Ray of Light, or Stealth Warp you think will benefit you most and you do not already have]
• Solarian 14/Character Level 15: Sunbolt
• Solarian 16/Character Level 17 and Solarian 18/Character Level 19: [Whichever out of Astrologic Sense, Blazing Orbit, Glow of Life, Ray of Light, Stealth Warp, or Ultimate Photon you think will benefit you most and you do not already have]
>>
>>54901921

I still did not see much opportunities for Black Hole or Supernova. A melee soldier (blitz) would have had a healthy pool of 5 Resolve Points, heavy armor proficiency for free (thus saving a feat), +4 initiative, +10 speed in exchange for missing out on the solarian's +1 damage.

That is why the build I have just posted takes melee soldier (blitz) as its first character level.
>>
>>54901727
>>54901732
>>54901757
>>54901838
These basically.

Also what is up with that image at >>54901672 though? Witcher fanart? 'Cause that there is a female Witcher character and some MIT college university student.
>>
So which one of you is Brunel
>>
File: 1477073932234.jpg (569KB, 909x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1477073932234.jpg
569KB, 909x1500px
>>54899983
i want to play a space merfolk in starfinder.
can i play a space merfolk in starfinder?

i want to have a spaceship filled with water that i float around in and then when we land on a planet the hatch opens and its like a awesome hottub. i want to explore alien oceans and find ancient sunken technologies and fight space seamonsters. i want my spaceship to turn into a submarine that we use to mine technomagic alien crystals underwater in dangerous areas for fun and profit. i want to have a space suit with a fish bowl helmet, and powered exoskeleton tail that lets me slither on land. cna i do that /pfg/?
>>
>>54901838
At this point I have no words for how bad Paizo is at writing, honestly.
>>
>>54902010
There is nothing wrong with kitchen sink
>>
>Someone is actually willing to have 2hu as a player
Jesus.
>>
>>54902049
2hu is Arkwright's waifu.
>>
>>54902059
>Arkwright
Ah yes, the guy who moaned about his waifu being disliked.
>>
>>54901972
Of course you can. One of the gas giants in the core solar system has a moon where a merfolk variant is the dominant species. I guess they will be in the monster book, but they were already statted for PF in People of the Stars or Distant Worlds. Dunno which one of these two.
>>
>>54902049
For games that are more tactical War game slugfests and mechanical emphasis? 2hu would be a champion at the table. RP-centric? Not so much that I can see. Just make sure the table is mid-high op.
>>
>>54902091
>RP-centric? Not so much that I can see.
You're right, there's not much reason to have 2hu as a player.
>>
>>54902079
Oh damn, which waifu?
>>
>>54902091
So what you're saying is there's no reason to have 2hu in your game unless you're Arkwright.
>>
>>54902082
>Of course you can. One of the gas giants in the core solar system has a moon where a merfolk variant is the dominant species. I guess they will be in the monster book, but they were already statted for PF in People of the Stars or Distant Worlds. Dunno which one of these two.
YAY! thnx anon, where can i find more info on this moon?
>>
>>54902127
>>54902106

I've played that kind of game, it's its own kind of fun. Goes double if the group is around the same op level and the GM is good at tuning encounters. I don't know about Arkwright, but sometimes deep RP isn't what I want to do.
>>
Say I was planning something stupid and wanted to make a human bloodrager with the fey bloodline, focusing on bull-rushing across difficult terrain and dishing out AOOs. What would I do to do this in the least gimped or minmaxy way? The assumed starting level is 3, and I'm fine with all 3pp content as long as I know where it's from.
Also, is there any way for this character to get any form of poison effect as a natural weapon? I've gotten a clear concept in my mind, but God knows I want to go through 3pp, APs and obscure PDFs for hours because of an idea that's probably completely unviable.
Also, what weapon would fit the best for this build? Theme is all well and good, but feats are limited and the build is already probably doomed by definition.
>>
>>54902111
2hu, man. he's totally fucking gay for him.
>>
>>54902134
The moon is called Kalo-Mahoi and it is described under it's planet Bretheda in the Core Book's "Setting" chapter.
There is also an description in the PF book "Distant Worlds" and the Merfolk race, the Kalo, are statted in "People of the Stars" on page 14.
>>
>>54901126
>There were no enemies clustering up, and I do not expect non-animalistic enemies to do so in a setting wherein grenades, AoE weapons, and other AoE effects are commonplace.

Well that's your problem then. Nothing in the book says "enemies should never stand close to each other" so that's a GM decision to design encounters that way. Also doesn't account for combat in rooms or other enclosed spaces where such spreading isn't possible. If your GM wants to render any and all AoE obsolete, he may do so, but it's a dick move. Fireballs were commonplace back in Pathfinder too so it's not really a convincing argument.
>>
>>54902308
Fireballs have a way bigger radius.
>>
The purpose of hostile npcs is not to beat the players, but to present interesting experiences
>>
Campaign inspired by Heavy Metal when?
>>
>tfw just want to play a spunky girl who goes on adventures and fights giant monsters
>tfw no good game to app to with this
>>
>>54902569
You better hope someone makes a Giantslayer campaign, because that would be perfect for that concept!
>>
>>54902569
>tfw just want to play a spunky girl who goes on adventures and fights giant monsters

Sounds like Slayers. A d20 game for this setting exists.
>>
>>54902569
There will be some giant monster fights in Mint Rebels, if you are interested.
>>
File: spacegoblin.png (517KB, 467x646px) Image search: [Google]
spacegoblin.png
517KB, 467x646px
>>54899983
hah, this actually looks really fun. i want to fight space goblins and space liches.
>>
>>54902760
But the Space Liches are your friend! They fight for capitalism and prime-time television!
>>
>>54902873
And none of that shitty reality TV. They give us REAL reality TV, like gladiatorial combat!
>>
File: 1496808607259.jpg (117KB, 800x604px) Image search: [Google]
1496808607259.jpg
117KB, 800x604px
>>54902873
>television!
>>54902927
>reality TV

tv sucks, propaganda. i will enjoy killing them even more now.
die space herpes liches
>>
File: 1500925438701.jpg (195KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500925438701.jpg
195KB, 1280x720px
So what's the general consensus on Solarian in the end?
>>
>>54903116
>Solarian
whats that
>>
>>54903116
on the whole; core monk level. maybe a little worse.
>>
>>54903146
Why's it core monk? Isn't it the best damage dealer?
>>
>>54903116
Grant solar weapon cha to hit and damage, have solar armor give cha to AC, and let you have both active at once and it's not only fixed, but unique from Soldier and the other classes.
>>
>>54903116
If you dip one to three levels into Soldier (Blitz): pretty good and functional.
If you don't dip: garbage fire do not touch. Completely dysfunctional class.
>>
>>54903116
>>54903154
>and let you have both active at once
I wouldn't go that far desu. It would make it much more SAD than any other in the game.
Giving a choice between the two is appropriate, though.
>>
>>54903116
Original Soulknife level. Will require third party
>>
>>54903154
You'd also need to fix the revelations. Half of them on photonic are shit and nearly everything on the graviton side is worthless crud.
>>
>>54903189
>Half of them on photonic are shit
>Radiation Revelation
>low-level radiation effect
>every level 1+ armour gives immunity to it
>will never work against any enemy you use it on because everyone is immune
SASUGA PAIZURI
>>
>>54903202
really?

that can't possibly have been accidental
>>
>>54903269
>really?
That's literally what it says in the rules.
Radiation Revelation is low-level radiation.
All armour starting at level 1 gives immunity to low-level radiation. Starting at level 7, that extends to medium-level radiation.
>>
Do Triaxians actually fuck Dragons? Is this going to be a plot in a campaign?
>>
>>54903202
>5ft aura
>Fortitude or sickened
>recovers as soon as they leave the aura, and immune to 24h if they make their save
>it's also a poison effect
>lasts just 1 round and uses a standard action

Even if armor didn't make you completely immune, it would still be shit.
>>
>>54903156

>If you dip one to three levels into Soldier (Blitz): pretty good and functional.

I would not dip more than one level into soldier (blitz). Furthermore, it is "good and functional" only with a cherry-picked selection of revelations, which I lay out in the build here >>54901911

>>54903189

This is true. While some of the photon revelations are rock-solid, such as Stellar Rush, Plasma Sheath, and Corona, the rest of the photon and graviton revelations are quite disappointing.
>>
>>54903346
>I would not dip more than one level into soldier (blitz).
The third level gives you a gear boost for 1.5x STR to damage, which leads to the highest damage per hit build in the game when combined with Plasma Sheath.
>>
Why so many people recommend Optimistic Gambler for raging classes? I understand the extra turns are nice, but you get them at random, and even if you expect 1 extra and play with it you get fatigued at the end so if you misread the combat and decide to end it earlier you're fucked.
>>
>>54903277
What the FUCK.

Armor includes the 95 credit "stationwear", which are clothes cheaper than a *SIMPLE LOCK*.
>>
>>54903366

It also undermines your damage progression from photon mode, Plasma Sheath, Corona, and the solar weapon itself.
>>
>>54903424
At high levels, it's worth the difference. Just crunch the math.
>>
>>54902748
Nobody is interested.
>>
>>54903434

>At high levels

At high levels, you say.

At character level 14th, a character could be a soldier (blitz) 1/solarian (solar weapon) 13 with a 5d6 damage solar weapon, or a soldier (blitz) 3/solarian (solar weapon) 11 with a 3d6 damage solar weapon.

A 69,800-credit lesser graviton crystal adds +3d6 damage either way.

The soldier (blitz) 1/solarian (solar weapon) 13 also has higher photon mode damage, Plasma Sheath damage, and Corona damage.

I fail to see how taking soldier (blitz) to 3 is a good idea.
>>
>This may be a tad controversial, but I enjoy seeing characters grow from their very beginnings into the heroes they will later be
>This is why the campaign will start at level 1

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS.
>>
>>54903592
You don't use the solar weapon. As simple as that.
The only thing you lose is a bit of damage progression on Plasma Sheath (which is half level), in return you get +0.5x STR to damage.
>>
>>54903595
Because PCs need to suffer at low levels to properly appreciate high levels.
>>
Some Paidrones are claiming solarian has the highest damage.

A Plasma Sheathed solar weapon at level 16 (level 18 4d6 crystal) would be doing 12d6+8 fire vs KAC. Average 50.

An apocalypse dimension-blade does 12d8 Slashing vs KAC. Average 54. It doesn't eat up your move action so you can full attack with that value as well.
>>
>>54903600

>You don't use the solar weapon. As simple as that.

There are some levels in which using the solar weapon is a good idea. At 14th-level, right about the cusp of "high level," the solar weapon is an appealing choice, even for a soldier (blitz) 1/solarian 13.
>>
Is stupid to get weapon focus and similar in Jade Regent? how long will it take to get a +1 katana for example?
We're starting at 1st level
>>
>>54903668
Yes, and you sacrifice that minimal benefit for having a higher static damage bonus overall.
By dipping two levels more into Soldier, you lose 1 damage on Plasma Sheath, but gain 0.5x STR damage on the Gear Boost, which grows up to +4, for a net benefit of +3 damage. That +3 should outweigh any benefit Solar Weapon might offer.
>>
>>54903642
Have we all not suffered enough?!
>>
>>54903595
The campaign starts in early childhood and they have to play at least a year of real time before they gain their first class levels.
>>
>>54903689

You are also losing out on damage from photon mode and Corona.

Do pardon me, but I am still failing to see how a "regular" advanced melee weapon is supposed to be a better choice at 14th-level. Perhaps you should draft a soldier (blitz) 3/solarian 11 while I write a soldier (blitz) 1/solarian 13, and we can compare?
>>
>>54903696
No, because you all create characters designed to win any encounter without as much as a passing brush on your shoulder and because you post lewds and anime and memes. It is only what you clearly want. Your backstory says "no" but your sheet says "yes"
>>
>>54903722
Level 14 is an arbitrary single level. It's not end-all be all.
>>
>>54903717
>they have to play at least a year of real time

The evil that men do.
>>
>>54903731
>because you all create characters designed to win any encounter without as much as a passing brush on your shoulder and because you post lewds and anime and memes.
Lewdfags tend to be absolute horseshit at Char-op though.
>>
How many levels are needed to be like Spiderman and Raiden (MGS V, MGS)? what are the requirements to jump 60 meters, run so fast you go up walls, throw 30 tons into the air jump and zandatsu the shit out of it?
>>
File: 8299d9eaecca1fc4d0c60a7275ba113b.jpg (397KB, 1200x709px) Image search: [Google]
8299d9eaecca1fc4d0c60a7275ba113b.jpg
397KB, 1200x709px
>>54903734

What of earlier levels, then?

Between soldier (blitz) 1/solarian 3 and soldier (blitz) 3/solarian 1, I dare say the former is the better option.
>>
>>54903739
And that means the time spend in sessions must be a full year, meaning 8 766 hours of sessions before you get a class.
>>
>>54903755
[Citation Needed]
>>
>>54903776
The Solarian 3 option has +1 damage from Plasma Sheath, but has to spend a move action to activate it in the first place.
The Blitz 3 option has +2 damage from the Gear Boost, except you don't have to spend an action for it.
In terms of gear, they have identical options, as the Solar Weapon didn't even increment yet by level 3.

The Soldier also has Longarm Specialisation by then, letting you grab something like a Hunting Rifle as a situational sidearm.
>>
>>54903807
>>54903776
Furthermore, the Soldier 3 would have an extra feat over the Solarian 3.
>>
>>54903800
I mean they kinda are though. They usually build there character around "flavor" and "cuteness" at the expense of power.
>>
>>54902589
I really don't get the appeal to fighting giants though?
>>
>>54903835
Because killing really really big things is cool!
>>
>>54903825
Anyone can achieve munchkinry, just roll a damn Arcanist. Anyone can achieve silly DPR, just roll a damn (insert PoW class here).

The fun part is finding the small things, the little exploits that you make YOUR OWN, and then making totally cool shit around those things.
>>
>>54903807

The soldier (blitz) 1/solarian 3 option gains +1 damage from photon mode, and uses *not* Plasma Sheath, but Stellar Rush for immense melee ability.

Stellar Rush is quite valuable for closing in on targets, especially ranged enemies trying to stay out of the fray.
>>
>>54903863
No one does that though.
>>
File: ss+(2017-08-16+at+04.47.41).jpg (22KB, 313x132px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-08-16+at+04.47.41).jpg
22KB, 313x132px
>>54903873
>The soldier (blitz) 1/solarian 3 option gains +1 damage from photon mode
Literally wrong. Both Blitz 3/Solarian 1 and Blitz 1/Solarian 3 will have identical photon mode damage.

>and uses *not* Plasma Sheath, but Stellar Rush for immense melee ability.
Situational. You're more mobile, yes, but you lose out on damage. In some situations, you'll need more mobility, in others, you'll prefer damage. It depends on what kind of maps will be more common in Starfinder AP's - close quarters or large areas.
>>
>>54903840
But, giant humans? That always struck me as lame

And pathfinder sucks at shadow of the colossus
>>
>>54903873
>>54903918
The tl;dr is:
The Blitz 3 dip has higher static and thus deals more damage at every level with relevant advanced melee weapons available. The Blitz 3 also has one extra feat.
After you reach Blitz 3/Solarian 2, your mobility is identical to Blitz 1/Solarian 4, so that isn't an issue either.
>>
>>54903947
Killing a big human is like killing a human, only biggerer! I know you totally want to do that, because it's really fun in Giantlayer, you should make a campaign for it!
>>
>>54903918

You are correct on the first point. I should have said "loses progress towards the extra 1 damage." It would matter much more when comparing, for example, soldier (blitz) 1/solarian 6 to soldier (blitz) 3/solarian 4, a case in which I would definitely prefer the former.

>Situational. You're more mobile, yes, but you lose out on damage. In some situations, you'll need more mobility, in others, you'll prefer damage.

I will prefer the assurance of being able to charge well and hard, particularly given the hefty initiative of Blitz and Improved Initiative.

Of course, by this point, we are veering dangerously close to "why not just play a melee soldier?" territory.
>>
>>54903989
>I want to make this character
>then you should run the campaign!
This does not follow
>>
>>54903960

>After you reach Blitz 3/Solarian 2, your mobility is identical to Blitz 1/Solarian 4, so that isn't an issue either.

If we are taking the comparison this far, one should consider that a soldier (blitz) 5 would have something equivalent to Stellar Rush anyway.
>>
>>54904041
>I want somebody else to cater to my every whim and also do all the work
>>
>>54904017
>You are correct on the first point. I should have said "loses progress towards the extra 1 damage." It would matter much more when comparing, for example, soldier (blitz) 1/solarian 6 to soldier (blitz) 3/solarian 4, a case in which I would definitely prefer the former.
The former has +2 damage from Photon and +3 damage from sheath.
The latter has +1 damage from Photon, +2 damage from Sheath, and +3 damage from the Gear Boost.
This is a most unfavourable level for the Blitz 3 as this is where Photon Mode amps up for Blitz 1, but hasn't yet for Blitz 3, yet the Blitz 3 still has more static damage in this comparison.
Still remember that you have an extra feat which can do any of a multitude of things.
Corona that you gain at 6 is nice, but together with activating Plasma Sheath it has a huge entry cost (move+standard without attacking and without approaching the enemy), so I doubt the efficacy of that approach.

>>54904049
Stellar Rush is better than the Blitz equivalent, though.
>>
>>54904061
Eh, Stellar Rush isn't really better if you're dumping Cha.
>>
>>54900413
Grenades don't have the Thrown property, so you can't put Returning on them regardless.
>>
>>54904074
Huh, I hadn't noticed Blitz's charge thing was also a Standard action. My bad.
In any case, combining Plasma Sheath and the Melee Striker Gear Boost is the entire point of Blitz 3/Solarian X - it results in the highest static damage bonus possible in the game.
>>
>>54904061

I say that it is important to secure access to Corona early, because it is a great source of automatic damage and counterdamage that will punish enemies simply for attacking you in melee.
>>
>>54904094
You also can't pick them as a weapon specialization, so even that 9d12 grenade is going to be inferior to a 7d12 cannon.
>>
>>54904109

It is currently ambiguous as to whether or not one's Weapon Specialization can apply to grenade launchers.
>>
>>54904106
I mean, ultimately, it doesn't even matter when you pick up the extra two levels in Blitz.
You can grab them, say, even after going Blitz 1/Solarian 6. The point is that it pays off at higher levels after you have all your core revelations whenever Advanced Melee weapons are relevant. And since the game doesn't assume you upgrade weapons every level, you should be good.
>>
You treat Starfinder like player versus player wargame and end up disappointed when it does not work like one.

What is wrong with you?
>>
>>54904191
It's how /pfg/ do. If another player does something better than you or does the same thing better than you, clearly there's no point playing the other option because fluff means nothing.
>>
>>54904121
I want to hug a Momiji
>>
>>54903696
no
>>
>>54901147
I-Intrigue GM?
>>
>>54904264
Mint Rebels actually
>>
>>54901704
And that's pretty much why Starfinder is such a clusterfuck.
>>
Can we make a detailed analysis of Solarian powers, like in a class guide?
>>
So how are envoys in practice now that people have played with them
>>
>>54904313
do simulations now count as "played"
>>
File: not who you think.jpg (72KB, 419x800px) Image search: [Google]
not who you think.jpg
72KB, 419x800px
>>54904264
No, why would I ever be so sadistic?
>>
>>54904243
>>54904191
Y'all are exaggerating.

Looking for balance in a game isn't wrong, nor is it indicative of wishing for PVP.

Take the old CRB Monk for example. It sucked balls. Other classes could do what it was supposed to be the best at better than it could, while still also being better at other things. But without comparative analysis you CAN'T KNOW THAT.

>Although that still leaves no excuse for the separate issue of all those abilities that don't even work like the one where everyone's immune at level 1

This is likely where the paizuri playtesting fucked up once again right from the start. They went "This class has many different abilities. Many abilities. Lots. And it can do damage too. Damage and abilities. It's peerless". They didn't bother looking at how excessively situational or useless half its abilities are. They didn't bother looking whether it was worth using this in melee instead of, say, a soldier. They didn't stop to think "but is it as interesting or useful as what anybody else can do".

They did not compare, so some poor shmuck of a newbie picks the class and 10 sessions down the line if for some reason he's not dead yet, he's wondering why the guy with a whole bunch of other capabilities is just as good or better than he is in melee.
>>
>>54904342
To utilize your Maximize Metamagic feat on spells with the (Pain) descriptor.
>>
File: nuh-uh.jpg (10KB, 139x130px) Image search: [Google]
nuh-uh.jpg
10KB, 139x130px
>>54904367
Well that's just preposterous slander. I promote art, love, and music, just like my dear sister. You should come to my domain some day, it'll be a truly unforgettable experience.
>>
File: 1e1288309500f894dca67cbac82b2d67.jpg (373KB, 4500x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1e1288309500f894dca67cbac82b2d67.jpg
373KB, 4500x2480px
>>54904125

At solarian class level 6th and above, whether or not advanced melee weapons are actually superior to a solar weapon with a solarian weapon crystal depends heavily on the solarian class level and the funds/loot a character has access to.

It is hard to say, but I will concede that there could be merit in taking up to a third level of soldier as a solarian, although whether or not this is the best choice is highly level-dependent.
>>
>>54904395
No. I am already playing in 4 different APs and running one, so the idea of anymore kytons is not the most appetizing to me.
>>
>>54900473
That's kind of awesome.
>>
>>54904121
I find this to be hilarious, honestly.
>>
>>54904276
It was a joke, since Intrigue GM mentioned bamboozling after the first session "to maximize the pain" I was implying you were the same person
>>
>>54900495
The Overload Weapon (EX) Mechanic Trick makes grenades destroyed on use in RAW, if in a rather hard to find way.
>>
>You will never smash your face into Shelyn's cleavage while she lovingly strokes your head
>>
>>54904733
>>
File: wpid-wp-1438359932530.jpg (28KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-wp-1438359932530.jpg
28KB, 500x334px
Has anyone played Strange Aeons?

Is it as shit as the concept sounds or is it actually good?
>>
>>54904758
Its shit. Really shit.
>>
File: hasserton_by_krewi-dae8t3r.jpg (556KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
hasserton_by_krewi-dae8t3r.jpg
556KB, 800x800px
>>54904854
That explains nothing of why it's shit. And how can it be shit when the main bad guy looks like this?
>>
>>54903380
Bumpo?
>>
>>54904854
Explain.
>>
>>54904935
>>54904758
It's actually a really good campaign, one of the better ones released by Paizo.
>>
>>54904947
Probably for rage cycling? Just turn it on and off. Get Allnight to avoid the effects of fatigue while extending your rage rounds.
>>
>>54905008
But why? People can easily say "It's good" or "It's shit", but nobody ever explains
>>
>>54905034
Another one of /pfg/'s quirks: It either has waifus or is an exceptional piece of writing thus it's "good" or it has no waifus or it's Serpent's Skull and it's "shit". Other times people just say one or the other because for the fuck of it. Wait a few you probably well get a "It's mediocre" reply at some point.
>>
>>54905034
It sets out to be an occultist campaign steeped in Lovecraftian bullshit, and it succeeds!
>>
>>54905034
It's pretty mediocre, has some good parts and has some bad parts.
>>
>>54904935
It's shit because of the premise of "players start without knowing the backstories, the DM provides backstories for everyone".
>>
>>54905117
So how is "The last year of your life is gone from your memory" a "your characer's backstory is written by the GM"?
>>
>>54904854
>>54905008
To start us off a really shitty contrived and railroaded "chase scene" at the beginning that surpasses WotR opening "cut scene" in shittiness. It goes down hill from there. Like this is the most fucking railroady AP in existence. Like the fog that will just flip you right back around to where the plot needs you to be.
>numerous plot holes like a grouping of Pharasman clerics having trouble dealing with starving ghouls and camping right next to a fucking haunt.
>fails to introduce lovecraftian themes in an interesting way beyond "fantasy monsters with tentacles lol".
>the entire premise of being amenesiacs has a really underwhelming twist, and it's worrying that paizo is going for these pseudo dragonlance esque insertions into PC backstories now.
>every thing about the tatterman
>Pathfinder in general being a poor fit for horror, to the point the last book suggests you just play CoC instead.
>>
File: 1475633156242.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475633156242.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uiwl?Take-off-and-Landing-Time-is-weird#1

>So according to the starship rules, "Go into Orbit or Land" takes 1d2 hours.

>According to NASA, de-orbital burn starts at landing -1 hour, so I can see the 1d2 hours being fine for landing (though it's still very hard-science and counter to what you see in a movie like Star Wars).

>But using that as a take-off time is insane. Also according to NASA, it takes 8 1/2 minutes for a Space Shuttle to get to orbit (0 MPH to 17k MPH). I can't imagine what circumstance it would take to lengthen that to an hour, let alone 2.

Why are Paizo starships worse than NASA space shuttles?
>>
>>54905143
> The only memories that remain are but vague hints and gut feelings—hardly clear recollections. A PC may recall only bits of an early childhood in a merchant family, while another might remember being born in Oppara, but nothing else. It is up to you to determine how little or much you can recall. Feel free to begin the campaign as a complete blank slate.
>>
>>54905168
Because it lets you have airships enter orbit in low angles to let stuff happen while going into space
>>
While the thread seems to be on the topic of shit: How good is Ironfang Invasion?
>>
>>54905270
Mediocre. Nothing in it jumps out at me as "what the fuck tier" just a bunch of plain old dungeon crawls with a shitty siege section in one of the books.
>>
>>54905168
Shuttles also get launched vertically to get into space ASAP.
>>
File: Saber - 1498558001272.png (124KB, 427x594px) Image search: [Google]
Saber - 1498558001272.png
124KB, 427x594px
Remember how I asked you people about how harsh to punish a problem Paladin friend yesterday?

Well I felt it fairer to tell him before our next session, so that he could prepare to either absolve, go anti Paladin or continue as a Fighter.

So far he argues that "he heard a voice so I can't be responsible for my team mates killing peasants.". This will be ongoing. Some Samus shitposter was interested, I don't need to spam the ongoing development here, but I could.
>>
File: 1374931724186.jpg (19KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1374931724186.jpg
19KB, 413x395px
Everyone excited for Ruins of Azlant?

I've heard it's actually a Colonization/Exploration campaign, rather than an underwater dungeon crawl.
>>
File: 1502873587102.jpg (774KB, 1372x3016px) Image search: [Google]
1502873587102.jpg
774KB, 1372x3016px
Would there unironically be any REAL advantages to playing a fatter character?
>>
>>54905409
No. There is no mechanical difference. Stop caring.
>>
>>54905385
No. It's an underwater dungeon crawl. At least for a full book and half.

And one of the books is an escort mission. Also one is written by Crystal.
>>
>>54905409
Only one: You'd die of hunger slower, but you'd probably die from heat exhaustion, hypothermia or being eaten by a bandersnatch before that.
>>
>>54905429
Crystal is the perfect waifu.
>>
>>54905409
None. Unless you count the aberrant aegis customization.
>>
>>54905409
Absolutely not, unless you can point me to a trait or feat that explicitly mentions your character must be of a certain weight for it, than no.

It's not like Bred For War, which requires a character to be at least 6 feet and states your character is "big and bulky."
>>
>>54905453
Bloat Mage.
>>
>>54902569
Should've applied to PLD, Anon
>>
>>54905409
There really aren't many advantages to being fat, it's why Humans generally find obesity unattractive.
>>
>>54905511
PLD was almost half a year ago, yet it's specter still haunts the General.
>>
>>54903317
I hope so. I'd apply in a heartbeat.
>>
>>54903686
Power Attack first, and then Furious Focus is going to be better than Weapon Focus for you.
>>
>>54905409
what's the source for this anyway?
>>
>>54903825
>>54903800
>>54903755
As a lewdster, I'll confirm that I'm pretty bad at charop.
>>
How do you run a game focused on exploration? Maybe the players shipwreck on an island.
>>
>>54905545
You could totally just apply to a Starfinder campaign as a Triaxian with a bonded Dragonkin partner, you know.
>>
There aren't any full BAB int based initiators that aren't warders or initiator soul aegis are there?
>>
>>54901126
I think overall it's better to examine the underlying preconceptions with your build.
Here are the one's I've gleaned from your posts:
1) Melee damage and attack bonuses are more important than any other consideration.
2) AC and Dexterity are secondary considerations to a melee combatant in Starfinder.
3) Dump all mental stats for combat prowess
4) Con bonuses are unimportant

Now, I am not saying you can't make a melee damage dealer who puts everything into his attack, but we call those glass cannons for a reason.
Your preparations for putting yourself in the most dangerous place - out of cover and directly in combat with the enemy- had you prioritize damage with your stated goal of "make the enemies dead."

Your second party consisted of a Ranged Soldier, a Mystic Healer (also ranged?) and you, the sole melee combatant. How exactly do you have party synergy? Isn't your Ranged Soldier your primary DPS in the party? Or were you competing with him to have the most DPS?

You clearly designed your character "not to be a tank" but was that really the optimal thing to do in your party's situation, considering their composition?
With your choice of buying weapons, why didn't you take Solarian armor and 16 Dex to start with? Instead of Hidden Soldier armor you could have Kasatha Microcord 1, and with the 16 Dex you would have had the same AC, one additional point of reflex and initiative, 5 more feet of movement, AND you would have saved a feat (toughness? improved initiative?)

You admit by not investing in CHA you made the decision not to get resolve points, or use stellar revelations. You also admit to having dismal skill checks, yet Solarian has Skill Adept and with your human choice, 5/lvl skill points. What skills were your party missing?
Did you consider buying more healing potions knowing you were going to be putting yourself directly into harm's way, or were you planning on the Healer closing the distance to you if you needed help?
>>
>>54905611
>How do you run a game focused on exploration?

The party moves through hexes on an overland map, and will gradually fill it in as they travel.
>>
>>54905453
>Bred for war
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU
>>
>>54905527
Whatever happened to rotjr? Are they still playing?
>>
>>54905746
They're still playing, and in fact SotJR's almost a third of the way through Book 1 of Jade Regent.
>>
>>54905622
I could! I just think it sounds romantic and fantastical in a cool way.
>>
>>54905757
>SotJR is 1/3 of the way through
When did they start, again?
>>
>>54905757

I thought both groups had reached Book 2?
>>
>>54905757
Really? Hasn't it been seven months? Do APs usually take that long to do a book?
>>
>>54905784
2 or 3 weeks ago I believe.
>>54905786
They finished book 1 of RotRL, then moved into book 1 of JR.
>>
>>54905786
They finished Book 1 of RotRL and are onto Book 1 of Jade Regent, as per the nature of Rise of the Jade Regent.

>>54905784
They finished Book 1 of RotRL around late June, spent 2-3 sessions on the 2 year timeskip, and started Jade Regent a month ago.
>>
>>54905818

Oh, right, sorry. Forgot that was how they were doing it.
>>
File: suarez_cannon.jpg (192KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
suarez_cannon.jpg
192KB, 500x334px
What stats would you pick and how would you build an Eldritch Archer/Siegue gunner with a cannon as his weapon of choice?
>>
>>54905792
SotJR hit the glassworks on week 3 and people screamed about how they were going to blitz the whole AP so the DM overreacted and slowed things down to a glacial pace.
>>
File: df995a5d51836518c0d08ff2023537e1.jpg (243KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
df995a5d51836518c0d08ff2023537e1.jpg
243KB, 1440x900px
>>54905633

>Now, I am not saying you can't make a melee damage dealer who puts everything into his attack, but we call those glass cannons for a reason.

Considering that point-buy in Starfinder works on a 1:1 basis, if your character starts at a 1st level, you might as well be.
This is not Pathfinder. Springing for an 18 in an ability score does not cost you all that much.

>How exactly do you have party synergy? Isn't your Ranged Soldier your primary DPS in the party?
The soldier was to kill people from afar, while my solarian was to kill people up close and with attacks of opportunity. The mystic was to debuffs and heal.

This was not particularly different from the original party, which succeeded with flying colors: the operative was to kill people from afar, the soldier was to kill people up close and with attacks of opportunity, the technomancer was to kill people at either distance depending on the spell, and the mystic was to debuff and heal.

>You clearly designed your character "not to be a tank" but was that really the optimal thing to do in your party's situation, considering their composition?

I would say so. A similar composition worked out just fine for the previous party, and it could hardly be said that "melee damage dealer, ranged damage dealer, debuffing/healing" is an unusual party composition.

>With your choice of buying weapons, why didn't you take Solarian armor and 16 Dex to start with? Instead of Hidden Soldier armor you could have Kasatha Microcord 1, and with the 16 Dex you would have had the same AC, one additional point of reflex and initiative, 5 more feet of movement, AND you would have saved a feat (toughness? improved initiative?)
That would have brought Strength down to 16, and hitting is important for actually doing the job of killing enemies.

>What skills were your party missing?
Intelligence skills and Charisma skills, mostly.

>healing potions
Healing potions were never once the problem. Action economy was.
>>
>>54905845
I would pick at my head to see what the fuck I was thinking when I made a character who uses an siege engine that needs at least three people to operate at maximum efficiency and only when that said cannon doesn't need to be lugged around like your average fucking firearm in cramped spaces that probably cause anybody within 60ft go deaf from the echoing blast.
>>
>>54905859
The only thing I recall people screeching about was the rape thing. Not the pace beyond "lol you fucks move slow".
>>
>>54905881

That's OK. We are not interested im dungeons and we always travel with NPC soldiers.
>>
>>54905891
>You will never get bred by a Gnoll outta gnollwhere.
>>
>>54905919
>Gnodachis of the Righteous
>>
>>54905624
Knight-disciple Paladin
>>
>>54906070
>playing Paladins
That aside
>Int based Full Bab
As in Intelligence based.
>>
>>54906106
Paladins are the best, the absolute best! I'd play one if I had the chance!
>>
>>54905859
The complaints weren't about the fact that they were going to finish the AP quickly, they were about the disparity between the speed of FotJR and SotJR's progress. The claim was that SotJR was going to finish book 1 before FotJR made it to the glassworks.
>>
"Host" - Gender has already become a meme in my PF/SF group.

Any fun you lot have had so far with SF?
>>
Has anyone here run Murder's Mark? I'm trying to prep players for carrion crown, so an investigation focused module seems useful before starting something long. I'm planning to pre-gen 8 characters for 4 players to choose from. Any must-include classes/archetypes? Advice pertaining to the module?
>>
>>54906120
>Any fun you lot have had so far with SF?

Sadly not, I've been looking for a Starfinder group but neither anyone in my area nor anyone online is running one. I think we'll just have to wait for Dead Suns to get fully digested by next week.
>>
>>54906120
Does shitting on its mechanics while not having a game and knowing I'll never get a game count?
>>
>>54906141
Host one.
>>
>>54906120
"Host" is a sex, not a gender. If you want to talk about gender memes then atleast talk about the " seven-gendered maraquoi tribes" of "furry humanoids".
>>
>>54906162
That's hard to do with the current state of the SF bestiary, we're all waiting for Dead Suns to pad it out a little more.
>>
File: 1429922092866.png (495KB, 947x887px) Image search: [Google]
1429922092866.png
495KB, 947x887px
>>54906166
>If you want to talk about gender memes then atleast talk about the " seven-gendered maraquoi tribes" of "furry humanoids".

>And lo, were the fetid hills alive with the sound of yiffing
>>
>>54905633
You admit you had a series of unfortunate dice rolls, which can happen in any party. It sounds like your build was brittle enough you didn't have any way to compensate if a situation started going south.

To summarize, you had:
1) 2/3rds of the party competing to fill the same role - deal a ton of damage.
2) No party synergy for skill checks (which you, the human solarian, were in the best position to do with your social class skills and skill adept to pick up whatever else was needed)
3) you sacked all of your class abilities, no solar armor/weapon, no stellar revelations, no skill adept, just took a +1 damage
4) bad dice luck - sucks, but you can't blame your class for that, soldier, operative, you would have been screwed either way.

If you had been a Blitz Soldier, you would have been similarly fucked in a party like this, because you would have made the same mistakes, had the same lack of synergy, and still would have had bad dice luck.

I highly recommend against sacking your Solarian Armor or Weapon, as money you save from that you can invest directly into Personal Upgrades, which more than offsets the "MAD" issues unless you are Hell Bent on squeezing out every last single point of +1 Dmg you can.

With Solar Blade you're only really 1-2 points behind, but by saving the cost of a weapon you can get a Personal Upgrade Mk1 by level 3 to your STR, which is another +1 to hit/damage anyway. By level 7, by not investing in a new weapon you can buy yourself +4 to one ability and +2 to a second for the same cost.

Hell, even a 12 STR/16 DEX/14 CHA Solarian seems doable; that level 5 upgrade +Mk1s gets you 16/18/18.
As far as skills, a level 3 Solarian with 16 DEX/14 CHA makes the Ghost Operative a bit uncomfortable: 1d20+9+1d6 stealth checks, 1d20+8+1d6 Diplo/Bluff (skill adept) checks vs 1d20+12 (Dex 18)/1d20+10 (Cha 14).
>>
>>54906162
Literally impossible, unless you expect the DM to custom-craft an entire campaign where you fight nothing but Core race enemies.

And let's be honest here, when you're in a a sci-fi campaign you aren't expected to shoot humanoids.
>>
>>54906194
I'm not even 2hu, but:
>no solar armor/weapon
Solar Armour would have resulted in LESS AC than Heavy Armour.
Solar Weapon would have resulted in a 1d6 non-reach weapon instead of a 1d8 reach weapon, in a game where reach doesn't prevent you from targeting adjacent enemies.
Using either of those would have been a strict downgrade from 2hu's build.

>no stellar revelations
The only two revelations available at level 1 are Black Hole and Supernova, require full attunement aka 3 rounds in one mode. 2hu was in Photon mode so only Supernova was possible at all. As 2hu said, enemies didn't clump up so there was never any opportunity to use it.
>>
>>54906270
Look, 2hu is wrong by virtue of being 2hu. If you're defending 2hu, you're Arkwright and in love with him. Numbers don't matter.
>>
>>54906184
>>54906225
As someone who's already run a few sessions of Starfinder, lack of a bestiary is a poor excuse. Not only is conversion from the Pathfinder bestiary easy and actually workable, but generating NPCs are easier than ever. There's going to be a lot more fidgeting for anyone who wants to run a homebrew setting anyways, due to the nature of sci-fi settings sharing less in consistent conventions than fantasy.

The only reason I haven't opened a game up to /pgg/ is that my schedule isn't working with me right now.
>>
>>54906158
It does, anon. Whatever makes you happy!
>>
>>54906295
>lack of a bestiary is a poor excuse.

You're talking to a General that gets the shakes and shivers whenever a DM presents a campaign where you primarily fight humanoids. We're not the type of people that enjoy "traditional" science-fiction.
>>
>>54906225

I don't know, between Sith, Imperials, Yuuzhan Vong, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Tau, Eldar, Chaos worshipers, a lot of random douchebags in Firefly, and plenty of others, there's pretty good precedent for shooting humanoids in sci-fi.
>>
>>54906310
Y- yeah! It definitely makes me happy!
>>
File: little01.png (133KB, 334x334px) Image search: [Google]
little01.png
133KB, 334x334px
How do you build a Bard Demagogue?
>>
>>54906325
But anon, where's my [Insert Obscure Bestiary 4 creature here]? Where's my [Insert Bestiary 6 creature here]? Clearly if a campaign does not have a new opponent every encounter, it's shit!
>>
>>54906225
>when you're in a a sci-fi campaign you aren't expected to shoot humanoids.
What gives you this idea?
>>54906323
.u're talking to a General that gets the shakes and shivers whenever a DM presents a campaign where you primarily fight humanoids
Again, what gives you this idea. I've never seen that happen.
>>
I know there was some recent unique armor for spellcasters that wasn't Djezet Skin, but I can't remember what the fuck it was for some reason. Am I thinking of an armor quality instead? 0% SFC is such a pain in the ass to find.
>>
>>54906347
I'm both shaking and shivering right now. Of course you don't see it, you're not here with me.
>>
I'm not the only one who thinks that chugging through APs with 6-8 hour sessions a week, only to finish the AP within 15 weeks or less, is a terrible idea, right?
>>
>>54906377
You're the only one on this entire planet to think that way.
>>
>>54905527
Mostly because a very large number of people want knock off PLD without the rape
>>
File: image (1).jpg (25KB, 334x452px) Image search: [Google]
image (1).jpg
25KB, 334x452px
Special delivery for Mr. Broodie!
>>
>>54906398
but it's fucking boring
>>
>>54906424
And yet you alone think this. Perhaps you are insane. Perhaps you are the only sane one left.
>>
>>54906377
15 weeks might be a bit too little, but I do prefer shorter, faster games than most people seem to. I hate downtime roleplaying and I think people need to funnel more of their characterization into combat and exploration.
>>
>>54906440
Maybe I am, I don't know anymore

>>54906445
It's not downtime roleplaying, though. It's literally just 6-8 hours of people chugging through AP content like they're eating without chewing.
>>
Do goblins in the same tribe come in multiple colors?
>>
>>54906339

If you really can't get through a campaign without Gathlains and the Archdevil Belial, anon, perhaps you should try converting them.
>>
>>54906445
Could you provide any example of how such characterization would look? My group is fairly tactical when it comes to both fields.
>>
>>54906377
>Doing a whole AP in 15 sessions

But how? Is nobody doing any roleplay beyond the token nod to NPCs to keep each fight coming? Do fights somehow not get bogged down? Is the GM not doing any adjustments for the party? Is nobody missing sessions and getting them cancelled?
>>
>>54906509
Probably,

it's WotR so mythic (and the GM doesn't give a shit about balancing anymore, not that he ever did to begin with),

sometimes sessions are missed because of the token yurop, but they fucking double-down on sessions like every 2 or 3 weeks
>>
>>54906291
I'd ERP with 2hu just for the novel experience, desu
>>
>>54906509
>>54906549
Oh, and when they're not in session they still talk about campaign related shit like they're still in a session anyway so they might as well be running 24/7
>>
>>54906459
I mean to say, I totally think that chugging through AP content is the way to go, but I don't think it's exclusive from actually roleplaying. From what I've seen it feels like a lot of people here tend to separate roleplaying from tactics entirely.

>>54906475
It's not really hard, people overthink it rather than underthink it. Banter during combat between party members while you're waiting for actions, reveal small backstory and character details as you're tooling around with skills like where your character got them or what your characters think of each others skills, build your relationships during mandatory slow down like while picking up a new hook or getting items.

I see the issue of "roleplaying stops at combat" way too often, or people taking an hour out of a session to play out some inconsequential tavern scene. If a group likes that, then they can do what they want, but it really feels like a waste to me. If I can afford to without weighing down the team, the way my character plays combat will feed off of his personality.
>>
File: Seth SF.png (237KB, 468x740px) Image search: [Google]
Seth SF.png
237KB, 468x740px
What do you guys think about mundane healing in Starfinder? I can't tell if its viable enough to negate the need for a mystic or even valuable enough to take feats like Medical expert.
>>
>>54906445
Have you ever played live? You get so much done in a 5 hour session its crazy.
>>
>>54906582
I usually play live, then I play voice less than that, then I play text less than that.

It's bizarre to me that my text games tend to drag out the most because it seems like they'd be the fastest with pre-typed actions and people not having to talk over each other. Roleplay quality is usually better though, so it's a trade off.
>>
>>54906565
Hmm. Makes sense. Perhaps I'll try that approach. I tried some general combat banter, but the party seemed averse to it.
>>
>>54906604
I recently transitioned my group from voice to pure text, simply because the RP quality is so so much better.
>>
File: Paris1578-lg.jpg (430KB, 700x403px) Image search: [Google]
Paris1578-lg.jpg
430KB, 700x403px
How do you feel about a big city that has no sewers?
>>
>>54906626
I hear it works out somewhat well for India.
>>
>>54905880
Thank you for your replies, I understand that you've been taking a lot of these deconstructions and criticisms, and I'm glad you're not taking it personally.

>Springing for an 18 in an ability score does not cost you all that much.
This is a contradiction to your complaints that there are too few points for MAD classes. A 16 in STR costs you 1 attack/1damage, but the opportunity cost of 18 STR means no 16 DEX (+1 to both ACs, initiative, skills, reflex/bad save, mobility/spring attack qualifier), or 12 CON (+1 fortitude, +1 stamina/lvl), or 12 CHA (+1 social skills, +1 DCs, +1 resolve points), etc.

>That would have brought Strength down to 16, and hitting is important for actually doing the job of killing enemies.
I think this is the crux of the issue, and has nothing to do with the Solarian class itself, given a full BAB. What ACs were you fighting against at level 1?

>Healing potions were never once the problem. Action economy was.
OK, so it sounds like you had healing, then. So was death self-inflicted because you were using a two-handed weapon? Or because your healer/debuffer was supposed to handle it but went down? Or you only were injured in a situation that you reasoned it was better to risk dying and keep swinging?

>Intelligence skills and Charisma skills, mostly.
What skills did you take? You should have had 5 of them, including easy access Diplomacy/Intimidate and with the ability to pick up 2 INT skills with Skill Adept for a +7 mod even with 10 INT. Even your soldier and mystic buddy putting heads together could have gotten you to a +9.

>I would say so. A similar composition worked out just fine for the previous party
Perhaps so, it seems like it was going peachy in combat until you and your mystic had a series of bad rolls. And maybe that was all it was, a series of unfortunate rolls with a level 1 party.
In terms of synergy, did you have any issues blocking your allies by giving the enemy soft cover?
>>
>>54906626
I feel like it would smell awful and disease would be prevalent.
>>
Hey 2Hu teach me about the technomancer!
What do you think about the class now that spells like color spray and grease no longer exist to help the party progress through rusty level shanktown.
What do you think of the lack of CL requirement to blasting spells making them pack a wallop from the start but never keep up?
>>
>>54906604
Textfags get bogged down trying to shoot for quality, and it's easier and faster to belt out something in voice that sounds alright than put together something that looks right in text. Especially if you're trying to condense your text while still being descriptive. Trying to do that mid-combat can also trip you up when you have to juggle all the moving parts of Pathfinder Combat, too. You can't always have something witty to say when you're on turn 3 and doing another full attack with buffs against a random unimportant mook.
>>
>>54906626

Paris was the biggest cesspool in Europe before Napoleon and Napoleon III demolished 3/4 of the city and made it the city that it is today. People had a life expectancy of 25 years. They lived on top of their corpses. Open sewers flowed with detritus from toxic leather tanneries. People were also forbidden to leave the city and thus it was overcrowded. Did I mention that Paris is a dry swamp?
>>
I'm new to PF general, what is PLD?
>>
>>54906722
A lewd game that is being shilled an obnoxious amount here.
>>
AYY so buy starfinder or no? I like physical copies for the table
>>
>>54906722
PaLaDin
>>
>>54906722
Nice try, Vult
>>
>>54906732
>shilled

No, the players are rubbing it in everyone's faces that they got in and others didn't, so they feel like spouting it at every opportunity.
>>
>>54906722
Monster rape shit game where the players are so bad they can't go a session without losing a fight,
>>
>>54906751
I've heard some of the players aren't super satisfied with the game, iirc.
>>
>>54906740
I'd hold off on a physical copy. The current version seriously needs errata and I imagine they'll push out a second edition pretty fast.
>>
>>54906751
>the players
>not the DM
Good one, Vult. Pin it on the only people who are nice to you. :^)
>>
>>54906740

There are a number of general errors, and there will likely be errata in the near future-you may want to wait for a second printing.
>>
>>54906767
Hence why they rub it in everyone's faces and shill that THEY got in and NOBODY ELSE BUT THEM did.

I hate hearing about it, I hate having it forced in my face every time lewd is brought up.
>>
>>54906722
Leave while you still can.
>>
>>54905584
How about EWP, is it worth a damn?
By the name of the campaign and by what our GM described is going to be Asian centric, but we start nowhere near Asia according to him
>>
>>54906722
Go play 5e, friend
>>
>>54906820
It isn't really worth a damn. If you want an eastern weapon later, grab a nodachi, since it's a great Martial two hander. No feats required.
Remember that you can two hand a katana without the exotic feat too, as a martial weapon, if it's a magic weapon you guys find that's ahead of what you're using. Use it the way God intended, with two firm hands.
>>
>>54906820
>not playing a Half-Orc Mongolian horse archer
Senpai, pls.
>>
>>54905409

Higher HP? More fat to get through before you damage any organs? That's why roman gladiators were fat.

(Don't get me wrong, they were also muscular under all that fat in order to actually fight well.)
>>
File: Zoro.jpg (800KB, 3360x3027px) Image search: [Google]
Zoro.jpg
800KB, 3360x3027px
>>54906869
>Two-handing Katanas
>>
>>54906995
>peak performance
>>
>>54907025
Motherfucker you know that isn't what I meant
>>
Tell me about the campaigns you're working on!
>>
I want to build a not!Skaven. How do I do it?
>>
>>54906270
>Solar Armour would have resulted in LESS AC than Heavy Armour.
Not true. Touhouanon used Hidden Soldier armor for +3 EAC/+5KAC with 14 Dex of +2 for a total +5 EAC/+7KAC.

Microcord 1 is +1EAC/+3KAC with 16 Dex of +3 and Solar armor +1/+1 for a total +5EAC/+7KAC. It's equal, costs one feat less and a (negligible) 5 credits less.
It does give up 1 point of damage though by going 16 STR, but you can use that feat on Weapon Focus.

>Solar Weapon would have
...would have given him a free hand to hold a healing potion or a small arm, lost [1] damage, and cost 475 starting wealth he could have bought a ranged weapon for those spread out enemies or for "reach". Or he could have spent that extra money and bought Iridishell basic armor for +1 KAC, or any number of miscellaneous items. Now the reach weapon is not a bad thing, but in this case his enemies were all spread out too far for Black Hole to help (20ft), or he was only fighting a single target, nor does the pike give you an AoO against a guarded step or withdraw, so I have to wonder how much he got out of it. Certainly it helps negate the -5ft movespeed he took from the heavy armor.

Would it have been a straight downgrade? Not if he spent even one round not in melee combat. But again, he places value in that 1 point of average damage between 1d6 and 1d8. Personally, with his build I would have taken the improved armor or the ranged weapon.

>revelations
Touhouanon went photon mode for the +1 damage, but he had no intention of using either revelation, whether the enemies clumped or not, because the reflex or fortitude save would have been trash with his CHA dump. In this situation, that worked out, but it's still dumping class abilities. I would like to point out that the damage is an auto-hit 2d6+1 to everyone in 10ft radius, aka Pike range, so if he ever had found himself in range, it would have synergy with his build, except the reflex save would be trash since he dumped his ability mod.
>>
>>54905919
Don't you have a Skull & Shackles campaign to run?
>>
>>54907172
>Microcord 1 is +1EAC/+3KAC with 16 Dex of +3 and Solar armor +1/+1 for a total +5EAC/+7KAC. It's equal, costs one feat less and a (negligible) 5 credits less.
>It does give up 1 point of damage though by going 16 STR, but you can use that feat on Weapon Focus.
You then end up with equal AC and equal to-hit, but one damage less. What's the point?

>he could have bought a ranged weapon for those spread out enemies or for "reach".
Ranged weapons can't make attacks of opportunity, while screwing over ranged/caster people is the entire point of reach.

> nor does the pike give you an AoO against a guarded step or withdraw,
It prevents guarded step from protecting your enemies from AoO's caused by ranged attacks or spellcasting.
>>
New thread
>>54907205
>>54907205
>>54907205
>>54907205
>>54907205
>>54907205
>>
>>54907169

Be more specific, we talking Gutter Runner, Ratling Gunner, Globadier, what?
>>
>>54906820
>Playing Bard: The campaign
Go bard, srly, that game is so rigged to benefit bards it hurts
>>
>>54907246

Either Globadier or Gutter Runner would be fine.
>>
>>54907298

In that case, Ratfolk Plague Bringer Alchemist or Ratfolk Unchained Rogue, respectively.
>>
>>54905633
>>54906194
>>54906270

The autist who 'optimizes' chose to 'unoptimize' because he doesn't like the class.

Big surprise.
>>
>>54906761
Ew. Thanks for the warning. I can't STAND people who just roll over!
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.