[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 333
Thread images: 63

File: 1458051096732.jpg (381KB, 1280x621px) Image search: [Google]
1458051096732.jpg
381KB, 1280x621px
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Wrong Passcode
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Wrong Passcode
>̷̛̼>̵͙̊>̶̜̈́Ḷ̶͠ő̸̡g̴̟͐i̷̼͋ṅ̸:̴̢̄ ̸͙͗*̷̫̽*̶̜̎*̷͔̉*̸͙̈*̴̗̚*̴͎͘*̸̟̎*̵͇̊*̸̜͒
̴̥̏≯̜͝>̵̬̄>̷̝̋E̷̛͕n̸̠͛t̴̬͂e̴͎̊ř̶̗ ̸̢̃P̶̰̾a̶͕͒s̶̗̓s̶͎͂c̸̞̚o̵̱̊d̸̳̒e̷̖̓:̴͔̕ ̵̟̃*̶̳͐*̸̞̂*̷̝̿*̷͘͜*̶̘̏*̸͙̋*̶̜̒*̵͇̽*̴͎̊
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to SeattleNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>54767246
>Funniest_Smartgun_Glitches.trid
>HALP_I_Accidentally_A_Great_Dragon.thread
>Citizen_In_Custody__LS_report_all_SIN_scanners_blowing_up.news
>[File Corrupted]

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: ERR (ERR% Positive)
* You have +-st$f new private message, titled 'WHAT'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Blackout.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>Do not buy CGL books
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Crit.Glith Edition
What are your funniest glitches?
What situations have they brought you into?
>>
Fuck, guess I rolled a Crit Glitch with the thread
>>
What are some good pod people/replicants in shadowrun? I am considering working with the GM to get myself replaced with one at some point.
I know there's those spirits that like to possess astrally projecting mages, which is close, but I'm looking for all the options to make a good decision.
>>
File: 42363106_p0.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
42363106_p0.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
>>54837278

CFD is a good candidate. An infection of rogue nanites starts overwriting your brain with a new personality (usually an AI, or maybe an e-ghost of someone who was lost to the Matrix during one of the Crashes).
>>
>>54837278
A con artist or corp agent with cosmetic bioware and personality chipping.
>>
Is there such a thing as a bacteria mentor/spirit?
>>
>>54838493
No. There is The Green, which is a general spirit of plant life, and The Red, which is a general spirit of animal life.
>>
File: npc_humanfemale_feuerschwinge.png (102KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
npc_humanfemale_feuerschwinge.png
102KB, 212x278px
>>54839459
>The Green
>>
>Went through 2nd Ed CRB

Im new to this but there seems to be a bit of trivial shit mechanics-wise. You guys have any interesting house-rules to make the game a bit more lenient?
>>
>>54839628
Yeah, we use a comprehensive set of houserules called 'an edition published in the last two decades'.
>>
>>54839668
Was thinking of checking other editions but some anon said 2nd is so good.
>>
>>54839695
2nd is probably the best of the old editions - worked out the kinks of 1st edition, didn't get crufted up like 3rd - but it is full of old school rpg design, including unremitting lethality.
>>
>>54839459
What would be the benefit of having The Red as a mentor?
>>
File: toxicshaman.png (223KB, 300x388px) Image search: [Google]
toxicshaman.png
223KB, 300x388px
>>54838493
Toxic mentor spirit Disease
>>
>>54839755
Read Forbidden Arcana
>>
File: i9dhoVS.png (796KB, 591x474px) Image search: [Google]
i9dhoVS.png
796KB, 591x474px
>>54839755
>>
>>54839459
Is there also the Black, or are we stuck channeling Swamp Thing or Animal Man only?
>>
>>54842409
That could have possible parallels in Necro Summoning and the Death mentor.

But I forget what those The Colors represented.
>>
>>54835641
I have never rolled a crit glitch. AMA.
>>
>>54842778
How was your first session?
Are you curious what your second session will be like?
>>
>>54842809
My first session was pretty boring due to the newness of the GM. My second session was pretty badass. That whole campaign was pretty fun actually, though the GM said that it sucked cause he likes to put himself down.

How about your games, hm?
>>
Is the German book dude still around? If so, stick the book in here:

http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/filedrop_hosted.php?drop=f25c404c34cda4ac2e4cf91733bfd6a12d3bd5f2efd9abf787131a2f48df7f66

That link only allows people to upload, and it's to a new folder I made specifically, so noone has the link and noone will get the link - if it's done right, it'll go in the box. If not, I'll see what I can do before putting it in the box.
>>
>>54837278
I played a 'character' once that was just a collection of people and drones running personafixes/personality software who uploaded logs and sensory feeds to a central server to allow the gestalt mind to keep growing. It was cool.
>>
>>54843871
Its almost 1 in the morning here in Krautistan, doubt he is around.
>>
Why are we so slow lately?
>>
You know what I think would be a neat 'story' development for the stagnation that is Jackpoint? Give Clockwork a girlfriend/significant other. Write all about how eager Netcat and Slamm-O! are to exploit that, to use her to get to him. Show how those toasterfuckers are no different than he is.
>>
>>54844880
Probably in /pol/ talking about that protest/counterprotest.
>>
>>54844880
Things happen when people contribute content or ask questions. If you're doing neither I don't really see the point in complaining about the lack of activity.
>>
>>54844880
Not much to talk about. The Total Nigger is out and it will likely be a while until the other books come out.
>>
>>54844938
>Show how those toasterfuckers are no different than he is

But they are. They're assholes, but Clockwork is double asshole. Also

>Clockwork
>getting a gf

HOLY KEK
>>
>>54845001
Not complaining, just curious.
>>
>>54845027
>>Clockwork
>>getting a gf
You know anon, love makes blind.
And with Clockwork you need to be blind, deaf and without a sense of smell
>>
Aside from noise-canceling 'ware like a datajack, what are the must-have pieces of 'ware for a Decker in 5e?
>>
>>54845119
Antennae in cyberears
Sat Link
If you are a trog: The skull antenna
>>
>>54845148
>Antennae in cyberears
>Sat Link
Nothing obvious to the naked eye like that. Maybe stuff that boosts Logic? I'm trying to make a hacker that also does front door infiltration. Social stuff.

Also, does getting a Sleaze Dongle on a Commlink let you run hacking programs, or are those Deck-only regardless?
>>
I'm thinking about making an unofficial Augmentation book*, with a load of new 'ware/qualities/rule clarifications missed so far in 5th edition.
What do YOU want in it?

(* May never be finished, to be worked on around my schedule).
>>
>>54845001
He asked a question though.
>>
>>54845176
>Also, does getting a Sleaze Dongle on a Commlink let you run hacking programs, or are those Deck-only regardless?
It only gives you a Sleaze rating. To run hacking programs on a commlink you need a IIRC Program carrier (can't remember the name)
>>
>>54845119
I'd put Logic and Intuition Boosters of some kind at almost the level of the two big bits of Noise Canceling 'ware.

A Cyber-Arm specced to be a Hand of God's a good way to get a good Automatics (or whatever) pool with minimal investment.

You may also consider some initiative boosters, but those can be done with drugs. This is entirely for AR hacking purposes, but with an implant or the longer lasting drugs it can also be combat-related.
>>
File: Cat Mask Samurai.jpg (390KB, 1024x1575px) Image search: [Google]
Cat Mask Samurai.jpg
390KB, 1024x1575px
>>54845178
You mean writing up old pieces of 'ware from previous editions for 5e rules, or writing new stuff?
>>
>>54845208
I've already grabbed a cyberarm (Agility 10, Strength 5, Armor 2, implanted commlink). I also grabbed a six-shot auto-injector loaded with Jazz - considering grabbing a second for Cereprax or Psyche. If I got that route, I'll probably pick up Narco and a Nephritic Screen, just to be safe. Otherwise, I'll be boosting Logic the bioware way.

I see the initiative more as an 'oh shit, I just accidentally got into combat' sort of thing, rather than something to assist in my decking. If I'm going to be hacking with Sleaze and Sleaze only, hacking initiative passes don't matter so much, right? Initiative passes are more of a concern for people planning on initiating cybercombat?

>>54845202
Ah, gotcha. So I'd need to hardwire in a Program Carrier if I wanted to get access to Hacker Software.

Any recommendations for a must-have hacking program to get that way? With the knowledge that I'll have a Sleaze 6, Data Processing 6, Firewall 6, Attack 0 device instead of a proper Deck, that is.
>>
Is there any good art out there of ork deckers?
>>
>>54845230
Both. 'Ware has gotten shafted in 5th ed, magic is simply superior. Now CGL has stated they aren't even going to bother releasing a new book to fix it. That leaves homebrew, but anything that can be salvaged from previous editions is preferable.
>>
File: Bull GenCon 2009.jpg (54KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
Bull GenCon 2009.jpg
54KB, 453x604px
>>54845337
>>
File: 1285031221846.jpg (113KB, 460x658px) Image search: [Google]
1285031221846.jpg
113KB, 460x658px
>>54845337
Define good.
>>
>>54845411
Is bull wearing a blue night-gown under his jacket?
>captcha: precaucion mexico
Fucking azzies
>>
>>54845476
Bull's doing that thing that fat people do where they wear something three sizes too big - even though they're already enormous - because they think it hides their hideous rolls of jiggling beef.
>>
>>54845320
You always want more passes. The main reason is this. IC is direct and dumb. If you can get a fake way into the system that is legal but wouldn't fool a kid, there's ways to get it to fool IC.

Because putting a mark is suspicious (so if perception sees your last action as Hack on the Fly, the IC will trigger) but having a mark isn't (so if you had an extra pass to make your last action Edit File or Make Call, you're fine).

Also, having multiple passes means that you can, for instance, spend one action on Matrix Stuff and one on Meat, or just do Matrix Stuff faster. And while VR does get you faster for free, never doubt the value of having the option to mix Meat and Matrix.
>>
>>54845522
it's not for your benefit, it's because the feeling of cloth clinging to your rolls of fat is uniquely disturbing.
Better to just tent up.
>>
>>54845320
Also, because I forgot the second part. If the GM lets you Program Carry a program that either adds Attack or adds Attack for Cracking Files and has it give Attack or Attack just when Cracking Files, do that.

Because with no Attack, you can't do the standard Crack File and are in GM fiat/mercy territory. So it could be worse. And you can't always have the file's Owner on hand to socialize into removing the protection.
>>
>>54845533
>>54845576
>Crack File uses Attack
So what you're saying is that I shouldn't even bother with trying to hacker-up a Commlink and should probably just use a Deck instead?
>>
>>54845476
>>54845522
>Bull
The best Orca decker you'll never meet
>>
>>54845642
Okay, so, your Comm is going to have:
>Sleaze Dongle 6
>Firewall/Data Processing 6 native

Yeah?

Use the rules on page 66 to add an Attack attribute of 1 in exchange for 12 parts packs. Then, Hardwire in a Program Carrier housing Decryption, increasing your Attack score to 2.

It's not a great Attack score, but it should be enough to get you rolling. You won't be great at cracking files or erasing marks, and you'll be god-awful at cybercombat, but as long as you're willing to spend Edge to blow past it when it really matters, you should be able to function.

Don't ever do anything to tank your Sleaze, though, because you'll be absolutely dependent on running silent to not get riggity rekt.
>>
>>54845745
Here I thought he was actually an Ogre metavariant, but it turns out he's a sapient critter.

You learn new things each day.
>>
>>54845642
A Deck is pretty much always better if only because you're going to have multiple programs and flexibility.

Don't use a DR1 deck, because those are for paranoid heavies that want to have cheap Sleaze and Firewall boosts and don't want to have to replace the whole thing if it does get bricked. (Smoke-and-Mirrors, program carrier Wrapper, would be a good program setup.)

Most of the DR2 decks are good for a decker if you're willing to move stuff around a lot. Look into Quick Config and Perfect Timing for that, as well as Overclocker.

DR 3 are a bit overcosted if you want to be able to also do other things, but they do bring the power along with that price.

>>54845762
One odd mod per device, usually. So he could get the Attack and then raise it to 2 in exchange for Condition boxes. But not put in the Program Carrier too.

And the Program Carrier's a total write off if the device gets bricked.
>>
>>54845887
>One odd mod per device, usually. So he could get the Attack and then raise it to 2 in exchange for Condition boxes. But not put in the Program Carrier too.
No, that's not the way it works. Giving it the Attack rating does not take up the slot for a Hardwired Module. He absolutely can get Attack with Parts, then hard-wire in a Program Carrier for Decryption.
>>
>>54846101
Unless I misread, or there's some new commlink out there I'm unaware of, only decks seem to come with a module slot and nothing seems to have mentioned being able to take more than one mod.

And Add Attribute and Add a Module are both in the same list on p 55.
>>
File: gifs.gif (3MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
gifs.gif
3MB, 500x500px
So I had an idea for a run.

>rich kids of ceo or someone important decide they want an authentic middle class experience
>so they hire shadowrunners to enroll them in a middle/lower class school for a week so they can go to prom and not get killed by gangers
>one of the kids steals an experimental idol singer personality from his parents to replace the dj
>he and some weebs manage to fiddle with it and shuts off all security measures and the damn thing goes crazy during the finale

Is this run too much? I feel like it could be 2 different runs but I'm always overly critical.
>>
>>54845887
>So he could get the Attack and then raise it to 2 in exchange for Condition boxes.
No, he couldn't. Increase Matrix Attribute isn't an exception to the 'Unless otherwise noted, a device can only have one modifcation' rule.

If he wants to have an Attack rating higher than 1, he either needs to buy an Attack Dongle to swap back and forth with the Sleaze Dongle, or cut out the middle man and get a Deck.

Personally, I could go either way on the matter. You'll (technically) have access to slightly better stats with two Dongles and a DR6 Commlink than you would for a similarly-priced Deck (in the 200k nuyen price range). On the other hand, a Deck can run Programs which boost its attributes to or above parity with those scores.

The real problem with all of this is that there's no action assigned to removing or slotting a dongle. If there was, it would be a real indicator for which is superior.

That said, for the price, I'd probably go for the Cyberdeck, unless you're literally never going to use Attack... somehow.
>>
What are some (both player and GM) newbie modules to run?
>>
>>54846423
Food Fight is the go-to. There are some others in the Beginner/Alphaware boxes, and there's a 3e book called First Run that has another couple. I've never seen anything about the quality of the non-Food Fight ones, though. Nobody seems to have played them, for whatever reason.
>>
>>54846423
Please stand for the anthem of /srg/.

FOOD FIGHT
FOOD FIGHT
FOOD FIGHT
>>
>>54846370
Add Matrix Attribute explicitly says that you can later add an Increase Matrix Attribute to it as a very badly worded exception.

I think the intent of the strange wording was to mean that the Increase mod had to apply to the Matrix Attribute you added, but as written it seem to imply plans for meta-modifications.
>>
Okay, I think I'm getting the point. Get a Deck even if I don't want to do Cybercombat, because Attack is still used for some non-Cybercombat applications, and the ability to hotswap attributes and run hacking software is worth it.

In that case, what's the best choice of deck? I'm looking at the Microtronica Azteca 300, with its 7/5/3/1 statline. Probably in conjunction with Perfect Time - that way I can swap into an 'active' configuration before I take my action on an Initiative Pass, then swap back into a 'passive' one at the end of it. You know, be 7 Attack and 3 Firewall during an attack, then back to 7 Firewall and 3 Attack when it's the opponent's turn.

Is that a good choice? I'm inexperienced enough with Decking that I actually literally don't know.
>>
>>54846555
The 300 or a modded Chariot can do it. If you want to optimize things, ask if the alternate configuration for Configurator can include a Configurator set to the first setup.

If the GM allows it, you can then have reciprocial Configurations which let you make even more changes at the cost of being a bit weak to Crash Program attacks.

And it's technically a Free Action - Reconfigure, Complex Action - Whatever, Free Action - Reconfigure on your action. This doesn't matter much unless the GM's being a bit anal about timing. And if you can swing Quick Config in your quality allocation, then it's both an attribute and a program per reconfig so you can go for a real active setup to a real defensive one.

Also remember than when in a Host (i.e. where you're going to actually need to be a decker with a good deck), everything is considered Directly Connected. So noise and Masters don't apply.

So once you're in, run Smoke-and-Mirrors at max, because it won't hurt your die pools and give you Sleaze of Yes to stay hidden.

This is also what brings the Little Hornet+Emissary master combo to not nearly as broken as some people would think.

It only gives your Hornet a great defense while out and about.

But yeah. If you're diligent about swapping, it can work. If you don't think you will be, consider going for the cheaper Chariot and modding in stuff, or the more expensive Navigator and modding in stuff. In any case, you're going to want to mod in stuff and change programs as needed or wanted.
>>
I read through the Sixth World Almanac to read up on some basic lore, but I'm still looking to learn some more. What are some interesting and (for the purpose of running a campaign) useful to know bits about the Shadowrun universe and lore?
>>
>>54846797
>Also remember than when in a Host (i.e. where you're going to actually need to be a decker with a good deck), everything is considered Directly Connected. So noise and Masters don't apply.
>So once you're in, run Smoke-and-Mirrors at max, because it won't hurt your die pools and give you Sleaze of Yes to stay hidden.
Wait, what? Noise no longer applies when you're in a Host?

Also, there's no way I'm spending outside of the 200k range on this setup, no matter what. This is supposed to be a social engineer/infiltrator who uses hacking as a tool, not a decker who can occasionally talk.
>>
>>54847209
the population of the world has been somewhat reduced due to VITAS
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 1000x800px
So, having just re-read Neuromancer for the first time since I was a young teen I have two questions.

Why is there no Rastafarian space station in Shadowrun?

And can I successfully make Molly Millions in SR5? I kinda wanted to do Hideo, but bows are really outside the ability of humans as far as I can tell.
>>
>>54847295
It's bounced back and is higher than it is now though by q significant amount. Even countries that were hit real bad like India have largely returned to their pre-VITAS numbers unless they had something else go on.

The main thing VITAS did was kill off rural populations because only the urban populations bounced back. So lots of small towns ended up depopulated and never recovered.
>>
>>54846292
So...Carrie?
>>
>>54847296
>>Why is there no Rastafarian space station in Shadowrun?
Because Shadowrun doesn't know whether it wants to be serious or goofy, and so it's serious in the wrong ways and goofy in the wrong ways simultaneously.

>And can I successfully make Molly Millions in SR5?
Half of the standard combat augmentations are named after her, chummer. You're going to want:
>Wired Reflexes
>Hand Razors
>Cybereyes
>Cybereye Covers

Max out her Intuition, give her lots of Agility and Reaction, and get her Body and Strength as high as you can get them. Willpower should be at least average, with Charisma and Logic being your dump stats.

Take Unarmed at 6, a Cyber-implant Weapon specialty, and then invest in gun and stealth skills.

And now you have Molly Millions.
>>
>>54847296
>Why is there no Rastafarian space station in Shadowrun?
The SR devs have never given a shit about space.
>>
>>54847284
It's not that it doesn't apply, but in the vast majority of cases it won't. Because most hosts have WANs that will include whatever you were in there for. And while in a host with a WAN, you're considered directly connected to everything in that WAN.

So as long as you're doing a Matrix Action against something in that host, you're directly connected, and direct connection means ignoring Noise modifiers and grid penalties.

Like, the core actions I can see that would still be affected by Noise include Check Overwatch Score, Erase Matrix Signature, and ironically enough, Jam Signals.

And if you're going to be doing hacking sorta secondary, you can probably afford to go for the cheaper options and cover yourself with programs.
>>
>>54847581
Alright, cool. In that case, I think I'll definitely go with the Azteca 300, with both Perfect Time and Quick Config. I didn't intend to invest this heavily into the decking side of the equation, but this this should give me a lot bigger bang for my buck while I'm at it anyway.

Now I just need to figure out all of the Noise Reduction items I can get that won't stand out like, well, like antennae sticking out of your ears.
>>
>>54847296
>Why is there no Rastafarian space station in Shadowrun?
What makes you think there isn't? There's a lot of stations in space, despite their almost total lack of mention.
>>
>>54847931
Remember that the Antennae come in retractable (but fragile form). Other things without a lot of investment include Signal Scrub (program), slaving to a commlink with a Reciever Dongle. As of Rigger 5.0 the RCC ability to roll E. Warfare+Logic [Data Processing] to reduce noise for a Combat turn has become a Matrix action that RCCs can give bonus dice to.
>>
>>54848107
Even then, this is supposed to be a social infiltrator, and retractable antennae look fucking stupid.

I'll keep Signal Scrub and possible a dongled commlink in mind, though. Masters grant their slaved devices their Noise Reduction?
>>
>>54848135
It's strange. Technically, all Noise Reduction should apply to everything and possibly even (for bonus loss) be spread somehow over the various kinds of noise to reduce that. But this is one of those things that's not written well in that section.

For further proof, if you're really anal about RAW, then the device that's forming your Persona can't be the master to any devices. (See 233-235 and remember that this requires a bit of an overly literal read on things. Like the kind of read that lets you have ADPS or Stick-n-Shock buck/birdshot rounds in shotguns.)

Now, the Receiver Dongle in its description only calls out that it gives it to the commlink and slaved devices. So that probably means that the dongle is the only thing that works like that, but considering that DT has the MMRI Echo. One of a very bad cases of in-text errata that's done way too badly and wordily based on a bad interpretation of the Control Rig.
>>
File: Bow of the Future.jpg (50KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
Bow of the Future.jpg
50KB, 640x478px
>>54847296
>I kinda wanted to do Hideo, but bows are really outside the ability of humans as far as I can tell.

It's suboptimal, but you can do it with maxxed out cyberarms and trick arrowheads. But bows are all for style points anyways.
>>
>>54839599
This was my favorite character portrait from the Shadowrun Returns series. All the other portraits looks so smug and self-satisfied, but this one conveys real brokenness and desperation.
>>
File: guI6bI6.jpg (334KB, 959x1177px) Image search: [Google]
guI6bI6.jpg
334KB, 959x1177px
>>54845337
There is not so that leaves you with 2 options:
1. Commission someone to draw some
2. Take your favorite orc at and call them a decker
>>
File: tumblr_nqkid9rDEb1syrjl3o3_1280.jpg (163KB, 1000x853px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqkid9rDEb1syrjl3o3_1280.jpg
163KB, 1000x853px
>>54848570
Well, as it is, Hideo couldn't really have obvious ware if you wanted to copy the character exactly. That said, I've always wanted to play a bow guy but it always just seems like I'm shooting myself in the foot to a pretty extreme extent. The only character idea that I really liked was a Giant with a bow as a tall as a normal human.
>>
>>54848730
Wasn't Hideo genemodded / biowared to shit too? Been a while since I read it but I recall TA having done some weird genetic work on him.
>>
>>54848888
They describe him as being a vat grown clone so he was totally jacked to shit with geneware and bioware essentially with mental augmentation and conditioning. I mean that he didn't have any cyberlimbs or likely even internal cyberware besides brain stuff. The Sprawl world seems to run mostly on bio/gene stuff from what I know about it.
>>
>>54845372
I'm willing to bet the upcoming Street Lethal book will have some new silver to play with.
>>
File: Cnp9TpP.jpg (770KB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
Cnp9TpP.jpg
770KB, 3984x2241px
Anyone got art of decks or guns?
>>
>>54849206
I hope so. While I am a fag that would enjoy more adept powers and am happy that they've been getting better, I know chrome has gotten fucked over way too hard in 5e.
>>
>>54847351
Fuck, it is Carrie isn't it?
>>
>>54849387
There are similarities, at least as far as the prom scene goes.
>>
>>54849341
5E decks are touch screen tablets, so an HP TouchPad or an iPad would work
>>
>>54849399
Funny, I was going to have some awakened students summon low force spirits and do some special effects for the finale as well.

Is the run alright though or is it too busy?
>>
>>54849457
Gonna be busy as hell with all the bystanders, especially if you expect your runners to throw down and you end up managing turn orders.
>>
>>54849497
That's true. Maybe if I have it be a sort of "private" sort of dance or have the bystanders run away immediately. I could have shit go down when pretty much everyone has left too.
>>
>>54849548
Problem is, if you're using an AI or persona, it'll probably lock down the venue. I suggest an outdoor event.
>>
File: 4cnk55enr29z.png (1MB, 1784x2500px) Image search: [Google]
4cnk55enr29z.png
1MB, 1784x2500px
>>54849341

Most of my gun art includes people holding them.
>>
File: 1486136283117.jpg (1MB, 1920x2485px) Image search: [Google]
1486136283117.jpg
1MB, 1920x2485px
>>54849742
>>
>>54849605
Decent point. Looks like I'll have to think about this a bit more.
>>
File: ihor-pasternak-dinka-f.jpg (324KB, 1510x1920px) Image search: [Google]
ihor-pasternak-dinka-f.jpg
324KB, 1510x1920px
>>54849779
>>
File: 52273050_p0.jpg (609KB, 1500x1620px) Image search: [Google]
52273050_p0.jpg
609KB, 1500x1620px
>>54849804
>>
File: ihor-pasternak-chars.jpg (422KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ihor-pasternak-chars.jpg
422KB, 1920x1080px
>>54849825

This has some decks in it, too.
>>
File: jon-lee-kusanagi.jpg (403KB, 1920x1038px) Image search: [Google]
jon-lee-kusanagi.jpg
403KB, 1920x1038px
>>54849844
>>
File: leo-haslam-yc-blatomatica.jpg (191KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
leo-haslam-yc-blatomatica.jpg
191KB, 1920x1080px
>>54849872
>>
File: 1490043844306.jpg (169KB, 1280x828px) Image search: [Google]
1490043844306.jpg
169KB, 1280x828px
>>
File: 1490044584697.jpg (281KB, 1280x828px) Image search: [Google]
1490044584697.jpg
281KB, 1280x828px
>>
File: 1487990258844.jpg (43KB, 720x455px) Image search: [Google]
1487990258844.jpg
43KB, 720x455px
>>
>>54849898
>>
File: victor-bravo-rai-concept6big.jpg (452KB, 1890x1248px) Image search: [Google]
victor-bravo-rai-concept6big.jpg
452KB, 1890x1248px
>>54850049
>>
File: nrwshirt2.jpg (1MB, 864x1152px) Image search: [Google]
nrwshirt2.jpg
1MB, 864x1152px
>>54845320
See if your GM will let you put Virtual Machine in the Program Carrier and load various combinations of hacking programs in from datachips.
>Smoke and Mirrors + Signal Scrub
Stay hidden.
>Agent + Search
Automate legwork.
>Agent + Exploit
Automate hacking.
>Wrapper + anything
Hide in plain sight.

If they don't let you swap on the fly it's more expensive as you have to carry multiple comlinks, some of them high rating.
>>
>>54850164
>If they don't let you swap on the fly it's more expensive as you have to carry multiple comlinks
RAW, you can only be logged in with one persona, and have to reboot both devices to transfer your persona to another device.
>>
Is there a sourcebook that expands on the contacts rules? They are a bit sparse in the 5e corebook.
>>
File: tumblr_ou8wl8kj701qb00mjo1_1280.jpg (245KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ou8wl8kj701qb00mjo1_1280.jpg
245KB, 1024x1024px
>>54850813
Run Faster has some stuff for it, but there's no major new stuff.
>>
So what is a good build for SURGE III human street sam. Refering to the metagenetic qualities mainly
>>
>>54851284
Bicardiac.

Not much of a mechanical buff, but nothing beats the RP ability to get shot through the heart and not die instantly.
>>
File: Shopping spree, too much nuyen.jpg (265KB, 480x666px) Image search: [Google]
Shopping spree, too much nuyen.jpg
265KB, 480x666px
My groups getting back together after a long hiatus in September and have been brainstorming character ideas. Friend has been suggesting having my character be a corp-heiress type going into the shadows for rebellion and/or excitement; generally being a fashionable fish out of water. I figure it might be fun, certainly a refreshing change from my last character that was a literal murderhobo. And give me a reason to get "Friends in High Places;" I always thought that quality was neato.

But well, chummers, from an RP standpoint is it an absolutely terrible idea? Like dragon dealing, just asking to be betrayed kind of a bad idea?
>>
>>54851284
Arcane Arrester and Astral Haze. Then you 'ware up and you're a functional borderline-cyberzombie.
>>
>>54843871
>>54844254
back :^)

Will upload
>>
>>54851708
>from an RP standpoint is it an absolutely terrible idea?
Yes. Might as well build a pixie technomancer.
>>
>>54851708
Thats actually fine.
>>
>>54853097
That's an interesting point but I want to use my weapon-focus blood crystal arm to fist a pixie technomancer who's performing anallingus on a recently-essence-costingly-Leonized Eiger who is getting throatfucked by Hestaby while an AI street sam drone with no code of honor films it and uploads it to JackPoint for the viewing pleasure of the many Immortal Elves, all sponsored by Will Smith to promote his upcoming Official Shadowrun Movie, Bright.
>>
>>54853643
Something is missing, I just can't put a finger on what exactly
>>
Are there any recent wars in 5e that the UCAS/CAS has participated in?
>>
>>54851708
It's the Shadowrun equivalent of having your L5R shota samurai married to a clan champion.
>>
>>54854438
No. Only recent wars are Dragon Civil War which wasn't really a war and the Azt-Am War which was retarded because how the fuck did Aztlan win, literally everyone everywhere knew that Aztlan was in the wrong and Storm Front/5e just spat in the face of that and went 'LOL AZTECHNOLOGY HAS GOOD PR' even though they were 100 percent the bad guys
>>
>>54854658
To be fair, anything other than simple "Corps always win" would have required something that wasn't worked out by interns.
>>
>>54854784
>NeoNET actually suffering consequences from CFD and likely getting replaced soon
At least they aren't 100% status quo.
>>
File: Aztech Soldier.jpg (20KB, 180x499px) Image search: [Google]
Aztech Soldier.jpg
20KB, 180x499px
>>54854658
>literally everyone everywhere knew that Aztlan was in the wrong

The entire kickoff point for the war was the Azzies tricking an Amazonian team into attacking an Azzie medical facility, and that mistake was broadcast to the world as deliberate heinous fuckery. "State sponsored terrorists kill civilians, destroy medical research" is a good way to kick off a war. replace "medical research" with "banking centre" and you have the Iraq War
>>
>>54855038
>Both of the 'good' Megacorps sided with Amazonia (Evo and Horizon)
>All the popular Great Dragons, too
>Aztechnology repeatedly broadcasted as commiting heinous atrocities and using dirty bombs
>BUT MUH PR MACHINE
>>
>>54855067
>'good'
>Megacorps
Pick one, especially not "Let's kill TMs" Horizon

>Great Dragons
>good

>Aztechnology repeatedly broadcasted as commiting heinous atrocities and using dirty bombs
>America repeatedly broadcasted as commiting heinous atrocities and using dirty bombs
Have to agree, just like the Iraq War
>>
>>54855097
>feeling any sympathy for Virtuakinetics
I'd be inclined to support them if the 'technomancer massacre' hadn't come in the wake of them disrupting all electronics in Vegas, including emergency services. How many people do you think died because those whiny TMs turned off their life support because the corps weren't 'playing nice'?
>>
File: Amazonia Attack.jpg (729KB, 1210x786px) Image search: [Google]
Amazonia Attack.jpg
729KB, 1210x786px
>>54855067
There are no 'good' or 'bad' megacorps in universe.

And what popular great dragons? When people think of the dragons involved in the Az-Am War, the first thought is of Dzitbalchén assassinating Atzcapotzalco at a peace summit. The second is of Sirrurg the Destroyer, the most infamous creature in the Sixth World, destroying cities and farmlands, causing genocides and precipitating global famine conditions.
>>
>>54855139
Hestaby. The only one anybody actually likes in any capacity.
>>
>>54855151
You mean the dragon that spoke against Sirrurg and was ostracized by the other Great Dragons because of that?
>>
File: Sirrurg.jpg (21KB, 200x262px) Image search: [Google]
Sirrurg.jpg
21KB, 200x262px
>>54855174
She wasn't even ostracized for siding against Sirrurg. It's because she put the spotlight on Sirrurg committing war crimes, and said in front of the UN that dragons should be subject to human laws, which made all the dragons lose their shit.

And that provided a nice distraction for everyone from the Az-Am War, because Lofwyr devoted himself to destroying her, which meant he was less focused on stopping Alamais, who took the opportunity to make GeMiTo slightly cleaner by burning it to the ground.

And on the subject of good PR, nothing beats "These superpowerful beings like committing atrocities so much that they are committing atrocities to preserve their right to commit future atrocities."
>>
So after reading through the Almanac, what do you guys recommend I read next? I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the Shadowrun universe in hopes of running a game in a few months.
>>
File: Bail Bondsman.jpg (94KB, 1224x779px) Image search: [Google]
Bail Bondsman.jpg
94KB, 1224x779px
>>54855815
read the rulebooks

What do you want? You want modern metaplot? You want a history lesson? You want something focused on a specific nation, corporation, people?
>>
>>54855849
I'm not really sure what I should be focusing on, honestly. At this point, maybe more metaplot and a little bit about Seattle.
>>
>>54855953
5e's Seatle guide sucks yhuge nigger dicks. Go back to 4e's, Seattle 2072.

Metaplot shit... Ummm, yeah, good luck with that.
>>
File: Hot Potato.png (559KB, 343x865px) Image search: [Google]
Hot Potato.png
559KB, 343x865px
>>54855953
For Seattle, there's the Seattle Sprawl Box for 5e, and you might also want to pop open Seattle 2072 for 4e but it's not necessary.

Metaplot currently is two or three big strands

>Megacorp Revision
>tl;dr Everyone's position is up for review, and NeoNET is definitely going to die. Rats fleeing that sinking ship are getting grabbed up left, right, and center, and regular inter-corporate shadow-work is dialed up to 11 as everyone wants to get one over on their rivals and get hueg, possibly claiming the AAA seat or just preventing themselves from being swallowed. Factions within the Corporate Court, such as Danielle de la Mar, are using it as an opportunity to strengthen the CC itself.
Read Market Panic for the broad strokes, with bits in Cutting Aces, Data Trails, and other books.

>CFD
>tl;dr Mind-overwriting nanites are loose. Boston is quarantined due to heavy infection, and others are scattered around the world (and off it, because EVO has completely lost their Mars outpost to headcases, and several other extraterrestrial sites belonging to different groups are also compromised). Most people hate the idea, some are embracing this 'new form of life' and the infected (headcases) are split between ones that want to coexist, ones that want to take over the world, and ones that want to go to spaaace and escape.
Lockdown and Stolen Souls are the main sourcebooks, Chrome Flesh has a large section, and mentions elsewhere.

>Elves are Faggots
>tl;dr Tir na nOg's ruling body of elves is pulling increasing levels of shenanigans in the real world. Magic bullshit abounds. In possibly related news, not!-Deck-of-Many-Things cards are turning up around the planet, and people are trying to grab them all for reasons.
Court of Shadows and Book of the Lost
>>
>>54856180
>Elves are Faggots
Chummer, that one is true since 1e.
Nothing new
>>
You guys have any recommendations for a newbie-friendly adventure/module? People mentioned Food Fight earlier, but I looked it up and it seems very short, unless I was looking at the wrong iteration.
>>
File: Amazonia Elves.jpg (201KB, 1005x654px) Image search: [Google]
Amazonia Elves.jpg
201KB, 1005x654px
>>54856208
But this is a specific, multibook arc all about them being faggots.
>>
>>54856526
Did the one you look through have a Stuffer Shack or a McHughs?
And Food Fight is used to introduce new players into the game by letting everyone use their specialty a bit
>>
>>54856563
I think it was the Stuffer Shack. I found it in one of the 1e books, which I understand, might be very outdated. It seems like a very short, combat-focused "adventure". While it sounds good to get people used to the combat, I think I'm looking for something with a little more longevity.
>>
>>54856180
>Book of the Lost and Court of Shadows
The ones that read like verbal diarrhea from some homeless guy that CGL picked up off the streets? Nice.

Also, Book of the Lost is way OP:
>complete Aces ritual
>gain access to Excalibur laser satellite and Lowfyr's Ten Ton Gold Coin
>Use the Dragon card
>Ask Lowfyr to attack an Aztechnology pyramid
>Use the CEO card
>Dial up the Aztechnology head honchos, tell them you have a way to take out Lowfyr
>convince Aztech honchos to get together to prepare to blood-sacrifice the greatest of Great Dragons
>Excalibur laser the whole thing
>2 most evil Megacorps no longer have CEOs
>????
>Metaplot ruined
>Use Bastard card
>Become BFFs with Harlequin for bullshit timeline dickery
>>
File: Assault Press.jpg (274KB, 748x800px) Image search: [Google]
Assault Press.jpg
274KB, 748x800px
>>54856595
Food Fight 5e is in the Beginner Box. And the whole point of it is that it's very short. You use a bit of the mechanics to familiarize yourself, you get hooked up with a fixer, and then you go forwards from there.

There's the Missions modules if you want longer ones.
>>
File: 1501910349941.jpg (132KB, 650x813px) Image search: [Google]
1501910349941.jpg
132KB, 650x813px
Tell me what cool stuff I can do as a Driver, /srg/
>>
File: Elf Biker 2.jpg (183KB, 712x900px) Image search: [Google]
Elf Biker 2.jpg
183KB, 712x900px
>>54856943
You can get a high Reaction and do stuff other than driving, which is boring as shit if that's all you do.
>>
>>54856529
But those aren't Amazonia elves.
>>
File: Don't Like Thing.jpg (102KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
Don't Like Thing.jpg
102KB, 500x628px
>>54856984
They're a bunch of metatypes, the file is mislabeled and I'm too lazy to change it.
>>
>>54856529
Is that what Xapiri Thepe look like? Elves with spots?
>>
So what was the point of book of the lost? Irrelevant fluff? Nonsensical lore? Insane rambling about conspiracies? Overpowered as hell Macguffins?
>>
>>54858228
There's been a push in the last couple of editions to bring up the effects of rising mana. Infected going wonky, metaplanar creatures and alchera being more common, SURGE and other weird metatypes, etc. Sixth World Tarot is another manifestation of that.
>>
>>54858376
But it reads like the diary of a brain damaged homeless man on peyote. It's almost entirely meaningless nonsense
>>
>>54858060
Spots are apparently used for photosynthesis.
>>
>>54858410
MANA LEVELS RISING, THE END IS NIGH, I'LL SUCK YOUR DICK FOR A CHEESEBURGER kinda homeless man?
>>
So is the world of Shadowrun actually getting less dystopia with governments re-asserting themselves over corporations?
>>
Anyone on /tg/ running any SR games online?
>>
>>54858534
More IT'S IN THE SIGNS TACO BELL IS THE ILLUMINATI AND THEY PSYCHICALLY CONTROL THE POPULACE, THESE TRADING CARDS ARE SECRET CODES THAT GIVE YOU SUPER POWERS ON THE ECLIPSE AND THEY TELL OF A METEOR TO DESTROY AFRICA
>>
>>54858611
Trying out running a PBP to get better with the format. (If you went back a a few threads, you can even see the basic house rules I was going to use, complete with pithy names.)
>>
Tell me about your campaigns, /srg/
>>
My players are going to be breaking into an ares research lab next session, what kind of opposition should there be?
>>
>>54858784
4e+EotM campaign set in Düsseldorf
Team consists of
>Pacifistic Elf Druid with Moon Maiden Mentor Spirit
>Vory Ork Sammie who fights with a bow
>Human Edgelord face who hates magic and has a "Street Magician" theme (think Copperfield)
>Human sister of the Elf, NPC Decker, works partially for Mafia
Together they do bullshit
>>
>>54858661
To be fair, besides the ghoul nation and the cost-ineffective space railgun there isn't much intereseting in SR's africa.
>>
File: 1500411557221.jpg (55KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
1500411557221.jpg
55KB, 600x524px
>>54858580
Why would governments ruling the world be less dystopian than corporations ruling the world? Do you even woke bro?
>>
>>54858611
>>54858754
I'm actually doing the same, partly to try out PBP and partly to try for a different feel to Shadowrun by setting the game in Yakut

My players immediately decided the last thing they wanted to touch was magic, but mundanes in a magic land should still be interesting
>>
File: 4ee8d373d2c18.image.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4ee8d373d2c18.image.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>54858945
Where is my Shadows in Focus: Israel? They blew up northern Africa, they have the most powerful hermetic tradition (qabalah,) and probably maintain a large degree of autonomy from the megas. Where is it?
Pic semi-related, d4
>>
>'Ares has a good reputation in the shadow community'
>Second only to Aztech in terms of how evil their master plan is
>frequently backstabs runners
>their payments (guns) get less interesting and valuable with every book as they're steadily outdone by nearly everyone
>probably run by bug spirits
Why are they considered to be on the 'good' end of the Megacorp spectrum again
>>
So in Forbidden Arcana, under the updated norse thradition, there is this excert on Berserkers. It says Free Adept Power and describes Berserkers Temper, which is more of a handicap than anything.
So what does this all mean anyways?
>>
As a newbie to Shadowrun, what steps do you guys recommend I take to get ready for DMing a campaign? There just seems like a lot to cover, and I'm not sure where to start.
>>
>>54859198
Go to the pastebin, read the thing for new players & DM's.
>>
>>54859186
>frequently backstabs runners
Where have you read that? All megacorps have Johnsons that betray runners, but AFAIK they backstab less and are more forgiving with caught runners, usually employing them to counter-run their former employer
>>
>>54859186
How evil is their masterplan? Is it ares masterplan or the bugs masterplan ?
>>
>>54859198
Honestly best way to learn how to DM shadowrun is to first play a little bit of Shadowrun. But that's rarely an option.
>>
>>54859297
Johnson Genesis section in Run Faster
>>54859473
Well supposedly it's to create an army of Ares-loyal bug flesh forms with Firewatch training.
>>
What does a Fichetti Security 600 look like? I mean, a Light Pistol that does 7P, comes with a 30 round magazine standard, and is in the Core? I'm super intrigued.
>>
>>54859499
Well, that's an extremly stupid plan but there is alot of air between that and Aztecs "end of the world" schtick. Also I'm pretty sure that the other corps. have something equally evil in their basement.. I'm looking at you Wuxing, Mr. "We are behind everything you do"
>>
>>54856943
One of the examples in the core book is ramping off of something, doing a spiral through the air, scraping something off of the underside of your car onto a crane, and then sticking the landing afterwards as the crane explodes behind you.

Control Rigs let you do fucking absurd vehicle stunts.
>>
File: 4e CRB p307.png (70KB, 1250x329px) Image search: [Google]
4e CRB p307.png
70KB, 1250x329px
>>54859583
Only image there seems to be is this blurry (because tiny) pic from the original 4e CRB
Neither the 20A nor 5e CRB seem to have it. Maybe better luck with 3e and earlier?
>>
>>54858580
>implying governments aren't just as bad as the corps
Governments have always been more powerful than the corporations - bigger economies, more capital, larger militaries, and so forth. Ares gets over half of its revenue from doing security contractor and arms manufacturing work for conventional governments, most notably the UCAS.

The power that the corporations have is that they use bribes and lobbying to control key members of conventional governments and have extraterritorial authority within their sites.

I mean, sure, don't get me wrong, the biggest corps are bigger and more powerful than the smallest countries. But, in general, it's not that the corporations are more powerful - it's that they've corrupted and subverted governments in standard corporate interest fashion.
>>
>>54859583
Also try looking at the Genesis game and the PC games. Excluding just Shadowrun, but possibly including the pseudo-MMOs.

I don't think that the SNES one branded most of its stuff, and I've never seen more than a few scraps of info about the Megadrive CD game.

Also, captcha (and looking over past threads) seems to really want me to make a yak-aligned inkling as a runner.
>>
>>54859583
>>54859749
Probably a Five-Seven but chrome
>>
>>54859801
A Five-Seven is Heavy Pistol size. It looks more like a Beretta 92 with a weird top attachment, based on that blurry-ass pixel picture.
>>
File: Fichetti Security 500.jpg (7KB, 200x145px) Image search: [Google]
Fichetti Security 500.jpg
7KB, 200x145px
>>54859583
>>54859749
>>54859763
>>54859793
>>54859801
>>54859843
That blurry pixel picture is a picture of the Fichetti Security 500 - the 600 is probably just an updated model of that older gun, complete with a detachable stock option and updated feed system.
>>
>>54859583
>>54859749
>>54859793
>>54859801
>>54859843
>>54859936
And here it is from the Shadowrun Returns game series - again, it's the 500, because the 600 didn't exist until 4e, and 4e reused the 500's art assets anyway.
>>
>>54859613
I mean Horizon has the incredibly straightforward 'subvert every government' goal (thanks Dawkins group), and Evo's master plan seems to be 'create a world of hippie cronenberg monsters who all free-love'. Renraku doesn't seem to have a plan at all beyond BE HONORABURR
>>
>>54860029
Like all the Japanese corps, the plan is take over the world economically by dint of Japanese-ness.

It's an economic thing of the past. Just look up some old buisness books from the 70s and 80s.
>>
>>54860029
Subverting every goverment seems more evil than having your privat half spirit army, to me at least.

Well I would say that ares got what they deserved for messing with BS, but nobody deserves that shit. except harlequin, kane and bull

Also also, when we are already at the topic of possesion, could somebody whit the channeling metamagic resist possesion (in any form) by bugs ?
>>
>>54860363
I mean the implication is that their secret plan is a cover explanation for the real plan of: create super-soldier bug men to forcibly convert all Ares citizens, then world citizens, into flesh forms
>>
>>54860424
Well but that wans't their original plan, i think? I think the first plan was just "Yeah magical super soldiers."
You know, before the plan backfired and half of ares was taken over by bug spirits.
>>
>>54860466
>Yeah magical super soldiers.
AFAIK that wasn't even their initial plan
It was "Magical Guard Critters, fuck yeah"
>>
New to the Shadowrun universe and trying to get a grasp on the basics of the Matrix. I'm reading as much as I can, but nothing seems to stick. What exactly is a host? What's the process of jacking into the Matrix, and once you do, where are you?
>>
>>54860508
> "Magical Guard Critters, fuck yeah"

well that one turned out quite well, too bad that now half of the corp works towards the end of the world and most of the other half to stop that... you never know which sides Johnson you will meet.
>>
>>54860729
Have you read the GM advice in the OP Pastebin?
>>
>>54860771
Yeah, I did. It's still a little bit confusing. I understand that a grid is similar to an incredibly widereaching WiFi node, with each state in the UCAS having its own grid, right? Where do hosts come into play?
>>
>>54860729
Host = Some more or less rule bound GM fiat something that has, in the "everything has it's price" edition, no price and is unavailable to players.

A host is also some sort of website and or large server which allows alot of devices to work together without noise.

Jacking into the matrix has nothing to do with the movie of the same name.
There are basically three steps of experiencing the matrix.
AR: Augmented realitiy, you can see the real worl atond you with your own eyes, but some sort of interface adds an additional layer of information onto things. Imagen an real live game HUD with all sorts of usefull information displayed like date, your traffic roude, which people play the game you play and which add ons you should get for your game.

Then there is the cold VR: Virtual reality, you cut your senses odd from the real world to enter cyberspace, or more well known as the Matrix. Here you move by thought and what you see is data given form. You can Touch, hear and see things.

Then there is hot VR: This is your cold VR with safety taken off. You can feel pain, smell, taste feel hot, cold and the whole table of human sensory input, which can put quite a strain on your nervous system and is quite addicting (that's where BTL come from).
>>
>>54860864
That explains quite a bit, thanks. When you enter cold/hot VR, where do you first end up in the Matrix? A digital representation of your surroundings? I understand that hosts in the Matrix are up in the Matrix "sky".

For example, can you enter the Matrix inside your own home, but venture into the host of say, your favorite diner, and if so, how? Or am I way off base?
>>
>>54860965
When you enter the matrix you end up in the public Grid (which is so full that you get a penalty to matrix tests) unless your lifestyle includes a subscription to a private grid (like emerald city)
You can enter VR everywhere with matrix connectivity as long as you have a DNI.
So you can enter while sitting at home in your designer plastic chair, enter the public grid, switch to a private grid if you have a subscription (or were able to hack yourself into it) and then enter the host you wish (which might look like a giant chef cook hat)
>>
>>54860965
>where do you first end up in the Matrix?

As long as your device (deck/Commlik) isn't already running in a Host you wil just pop into the mentioned "sky" with Icons of your houshold devices (assuming you go into VR while at home) in an ROUGH relative distance to yourself compared to the real space.

>For example, can you enter the Matrix inside your own home, but venture into the host of say, your favorite diner, and if so, how? Or am I way off base?

Not too much.
Basically you just think "Hey i want to enter the host of my favourite diner chain" and usually they will allow you to put a mark on them and let you enter. Moving in the matrix is (supposedly) very intuitive and can be learned quite easily.
>>
Both are right

while >>54861070 explains the concepts

>>54861033 explains the inner workings behind it (also rule relevant)
>>
>>54860729
The 5e book's answer of what a host is is 'Hosts in the Matrix are like a mini-Matrix on the grid,' which is accurate and wholly unhelpful. It's like a little gated community on the Matrix where everything works together better because the Host is directly sending everything to everything else, at least for things on the inside. Outside the walls tend to get in the way, to continue the metaphor.

Oh, wait, leaving that there because you went on.

>>54860965
As a general thing, as long as the place you want has a presence on the grid you're on (generally a good bet) you can get there and do things no problem.

If for some reason the place only has a presence on another grid, you can still access it, but with a little lag.

And of course for hosts and AROs, there can be conditions for using/seeing/entering. So your favorite diner might require the presence of a credstick or bank account to enter and if you have neither, then you'd have to hack to get in and see things inside or manipulate them or place orders if the ordering device has been set up to not respond to people that can't get in.

Now, for Hosts, distance doesn't really matter because of how they work. But for things not hosts (say you have a favorite vending machine that's not attached to any host) distance does matter in two ways. One, the physical distance between whatever's providing your Persona and the device is over a hundred meters, then you've got to roll to 'see' the thing. Matrix protocols basically put lots of priority on near stuff, so the far stuff just fades away. Two, there's Noise due to distance, but this only applies if you're doing rolled stuff.
>>
>>54861033
>>54861070
>>54861089
>>54861101
Very useful. Thanks, anons. I've been reading the 5e rulebook bit about the Matrix while posting here, and a lot of my questions are being answered.

I understand there's a public, free grid that has a lot of lag. I know there's also regional and global grids that are hosted by governments and mega-corps respectively that cost some money. Onto the topic of hosts, I know that some hosts can reject people who've jacked into the public grid, or lack the proper "mark" to enter.
>>
>>54858611
I run a Shadowrun game set in Vladivostok.

Pretty fun so far, my players are clueless and bumbling into plot threads destroying everything.
>>
Thinking about getting the group into shadowrun. Some of us have played the PC games, but not all of us. Is there an edition that's better to use? I've heard about this "food fight" primer thing, is that good? Where can I look for setting information and the structure of most shadowrunning jobs/quests/campaigns.
>>
>>54860363
>Also also, when we are already at the topic of possesion, could somebody whit the channeling metamagic resist possesion (in any form) by bugs ?
No. Channeling only applies to your own spirits, not others' possession spirits, and besides which Possession and Inhabitation are two entirely different things.
>>
>>54861417
>>54860771
>>
>>54861431
I legitimately didn't see it. That OP is a bit of a doozy to try to read and get information from. I didn't even know you had a pastebin
>>
Having been lurking through several of the /srg/ threads now, I'm honestly curious about why people hate on Slamm-O, Bull and so on. Not seen enough to really form an opinion on them myself.
>>
Does one need to be in "melee range" to attack in astral space?
Specifically, can a dual-natured ghoul attack a projecting mage who is up in the air?
>>
>>54861766
Shitty self-inserts by authors made into Turbo annoying gary stues.
>>
>>54861391
I should take offence to that but it's pretty much true.
>>
>>54862089
Since it's explicitly said that there are no known astral ranged weapons I'd say Yes, he has to be close or use mana spells to attack a distant projecting mage
>>
>>54862094
It's that bad? Goddamn.
>>
>>54861391
>bumbling into plot threads destroying everything.

That's a lie, the only thing I've destroyed thus far is the barrier at a police checkpoint.
>>
>>54858841
Bumping this
>>
>>54862089
Nope. Conventional wisdom is to retreat into a room or area where the mage can't draw line of sight, forcing them to move into your threat range, but you're mostly fucked.
>>
>>54862572
>>54862089
I want to say Forbidden Arcana had a quality that could let you sorta shut off Dual Natured for a bit (essentially).

So if I'm not completely misremembering how it worked, there's also that.
>>
Shadowrun is gay
>>
>>54862666
DUAL-NATURED DEFENDER
5 KARMA
Minimum Requirements: Dual Natured quality and Astral Combat 3
Characters with this quality have learned that the Sixth World is not the kindest place to dual-natured creatures, and it’s forced them to learn how to defend themselves against a variety of astral threats.
A character with this quality may stop astrally perceiving with a Free Action to avoid astral barriers or threats. The amount of concentration required to disconnect from the astral causes a –2 dice pool penalty to all actions the critter makes when they are not astrally perceiving. A dual-natured critter cannot use any of its critter powers (except Sapience) while in this state, and shapeshifters are stuck in whatever physical form they are currently in. A dual-natured critter cannot stop astrally perceiving for more minutes than its Magic attribute in a twenty-four-hour period before it must reconnect with the astral. For every minute past the allotted time that a critter does not perceive the astral, it permanently loses one point of Magic. If a character with this quality is knocked unconscious, they automatically reconnect with the astral. This quality does not hide the fact that a critter is Awakened when the critter is assensed, but it inflicts a –2 penalty on any attempts to astrally perceive the critter.
>>
>>54863119
Yeah, I was fairly wrong. I completely thought that the time period was at least further along on the time scale than Manifesting was. At that time range, the best you can say is that it's at least not that expensive of a quality.
>>
>>54852472
Having just woken up, I have now looked through the book - I can confirm that you've done it right. Thank you very much, and I'll drop it in the box ASAP.
>>
>#JustPixieThings
>when your drunk friend cries for twenty minutes because you're too cute and you hands are so tiny
>being used like a teddy bear by the same friend for the rest of the night
>Dudes comparing their dicks to you
>Booster seats
>That one trenchcoat edgelord on every runner team that tries to sell you out and gets iced by your teammates for betraying a fellow runner to corps
>Cats. Fucking cats.
>Meeting another pixie for the first time and losing your goddamn mind
>People touching your wings
>Your SO kissing your entire face
>All of the goddamn cooing
>Ordering from the entree menu and still having food left over
>Not even having a fake SIN
>>
>>54863407
>#JustPixieThings
>Min-Maxing
>Munchkinning
>Faggotry
>MASSIVE Faggotry
>>
>>54863407
You do know that pixies are bigger than Tinkerbell, right? Because they are.
>>
>>54862572
Wait, I thought creatures on the astral plane could see auras through walls, and even move through them.
>>
>>54863407
>#JustDryadThings
>Crippling insecurity because you aren't sure if people are agreeing with you because you had a good idea or if they just want to please you
>Turning around and seeing the entire subway car suddenly look down at their phones
>Choosing between living forty minutes from the nearest bakery and constantly being sick
>Constantly getting DMs from horny creepers
>Having to smile and make up excuses instead of telling the horny creepers to fuck off or they'll throw a giant temper-tantrum
>"Artists" or "Photographers" who want you to meet them at their house late at night to model for them
>Moving house
>Having people take your picture while you walk down the street
>>
>>54863863
move through them, yes
see through them, no
Remember: solid objects are opaque in the astral
while astrally perceiving you can't e.g. look through a glass pane
>>
>>54863915
>#JustCentaurThings
>Chairs
>Buses
>Being inside
>Pants
>Gloves
>"Hahaha so is alllll of you below the waist a horse? ;)"
>>
>>54863433
>Just buttmad nofunallowed things
>>
>>54864023
>Just That Guy Things
>>
>>54858841
It depends on where the lab is, who runs the lab, etc. Like, Mitsuhama is going to have a lot of drones/turrets, Horizon will have more magical security, security trolls and technomancers as spiders (although maybe not as many as before the massacre), EVO will have a lot of bio-enhanced soldiers, etc.

Generally tho there'll be on-site guards, HTR, some magical security and a spider, although the strength of each varies depending on the corp. Plus depending on what they're studying, there might be more security/failsafes to stop things escaping.
>>
>#JustShifterThings
>'So how's Yakut these days?'
>'You're housebroken, right?'
>'So like, is calling it doggy style offensive?'
>'Oh! You'd look soooo cute in a little sailor outfit!'
>'Yknow I've always wanted to try taking the knot...'
>>
>>54862547
Ares would mostly be turret drones, Firewatch teams for HTR (both possessed and not, depending on if they're researching bugs), and normal rent-a-cop/wagemage fodder
>>
>>54858784
5e campaign, set in Seattle, players 'found' a large amount of cesium 137 and are currently trying to fence it off, however, word gets around, and offloading something that hot on the black market attracts attention...
>>
Is it really so wrong to make a monstergirl character via SURGE? I'm aware that changelings are snowflakes but sometimes that's fun.
>>
>>54864071
lol

>>54864166
Go for it. Just talk with your GM about it first.
>>
>>54864048
Actually roleplaying a pixie is being That Guy?
>>
>>54864226
Mentioning Pixies in /srg/ at all is being That Guy. Thinking about playing pixies is being That Guy. Making a Pixie pc is being That Guy.

Mostly because of no-fun-allowed Black Trenchcoat That Guys projecting and arguing only min-maxing That Guys play Pixies, but not having any examples of people actually playing pixies in a That Guy-ish manner.
>>
>>54864289
Every experience I've had with characters who've taken more than five essence worth of augmentations has been awful minmaxing, but I still give them a chance.
>>
>>54864490
Exactly. You have hundreds of thousands of nuyen in cyberware, that you somehow got despite being a shadowrunner and having no SIN or corporate support? Where did those top-of-the-line high-dex cyberarms come from? Who gave you those wired reflexes? Bleh.
>>
File: Helmet.jpg (347KB, 1200x1361px) Image search: [Google]
Helmet.jpg
347KB, 1200x1361px
>>54859108
>they have the most powerful hermetic tradition (qabalah,)

How is that the 'most powerful'? Spirits are restricted to being summoned into vessels, and general Hermeticism is broader based and better explored.
>>
File: Japanacorps.jpg (1MB, 1210x900px) Image search: [Google]
Japanacorps.jpg
1MB, 1210x900px
>>54860122
Well, Renraku's modern strategy is basically 'take over by dint of pretending not to be Japanese, but wearing local masks and running everything with grorious Nippon efficiency'.

I like that the Japanacorps are the ones that haven't forgotten that they are corporations first and foremost, and they are there to make money. No grand strategies to take over the planet or monomaniacal overlords, just steady year-over-year profits.
>>
>>54861460
ctrl+f "pastebin"
>>
File: breaking-news.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
breaking-news.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>54864815
If you're gonna be a cybermonkey you pretty much have to go the "Old soldier", "Corp Assassin" or "Criminal Syndicate hitman". Somewhere where accumulating all that chrome over time makes sense.

>>54864289
Why tho? Any GM worth their salt imposes all the unwritten penalties of being a pixie enough that min maxers would be deterred.
>>
>>54865146
> 2 (You)s in one post

It's like christmas!

Yeah, exactly. Pixies can't even have SINs, so instead you're invisible all the time.

I built a cybermonkey a while back with like .1 essence left. The backstory was: His cyberlimbs are actually shit, he has serious phantom limb, but without them he'd be killed pretty quick cuz he lives in the barrens.
>>
File: Blue Smoke.jpg (384KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Blue Smoke.jpg
384KB, 1680x1050px
>>54861766
I don't mind Bull the character too much - at least he's scaled back now. Really I just don't like Bull the writer, because he sucked dicks and banhammered his way into a job he is not qualified to have.

The other problem is that they cut down the number of characters from the Shadowlands days, so it's the same dozen voices every book, and the writing is not good enough to make me like them that much.
>>
>>54863863
The idea is that the shifter/ghoul/whatever moves into a container that reduces the effective range of the mage to where they can be hit in melee, then they hold their action. Travelling through material in the astral is supposed to be doable, but uncomfortable. Some GMs make you spend a Simple Action to do so.
>>54865146
/srg/ doesn't actually get to play in games, as a whole. Most of what we say is spitballing whiteroom scenarios where Rule 0 doesn't apply.
>>54865190
Well, French pixies are recognised as citizens in that Brocholandoland Forest or whatever. For standard getting about you could probably get away with a SIN that listed you as a child provided you did something to conceal your wings.
>>
>>54865249
>child
>40 cm big
yekka, the word is 'infant'
>>
File: Pixie Poser.jpg (90KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Pixie Poser.jpg
90KB, 720x960px
>>54863407
>>Meeting another pixie for the first time and losing your goddamn mind

This is where my snowflake alarm goes off. You're part of a tiny metagroup that lives in very specific areas. Trying to play lost orphan with that background is a bullshit idea, because it's the one that requires you to ignore everything known about their society to avoid coming up with an interesting reason why you are shadowrunning and not jerking off deer or whatever they do in the woods.
>>
>>54865249
true about pixies, but not all of them can be from that one spot in France. Why would a pixie like that even leave there to go somewhere with a standing bounty on living pixies?
>>
>>54865300
While your certainly not wrong, giving the metavarients and other metaspatients such ridiculously small populations was a massive mistake. A race or species can be 'rare' to see and still not an endangered species, but I don't think CGL thought of that.
>>
>>54865307
>Why would a pixie like that even leave there to go somewhere with a standing bounty on living pixies?
There's no good easily-understood reasons for pixie runners, like >>54865300 said. Just like there's no obvious reasons for centaur runners, nartaki runners, wakiyambi runners, and all the other metasapients that have their own societies/privileged places within human societies, and such small numbers that seeing them away from their homelands is a huge thing even if they were diplomats.
>>
>>54865365
The rarity of all the metavariants/sapients is why you scale up the retardedly low population numbers. Instead of just having wakyambi be one little tribe in southern africa, make it the (almost) most common elf in africa.
>>
>>54865461
But that fucks with the 'these guys are viewed as divine messengers of the gods, which is why they are acclaimed as the rulers of Azania' vibe. If every Tom, Dick and X!obla is a wakayambi, you get a whole different set of problems.
>>
>>54865760
Except if you remove the divine messengers part while adding the numbers it's all good.
>>
I think if you're going to have metavariants and metasapients in you have to essentially retcon some of their lore and bring their numbers up.

Otherwise what's the point of having them in the setting if they're so rare they won't even show up unless you're in the middle of bumfuck nowhere?
>>
>>54866726
I think the big problem in the Shadowrun lore writing is that the writers chose to adopt the strategy of not adding anything without a logical reason why it wasn't mentioned before. They've been so scared of just doing straight up retcon in the terms of "Yeah we just didn't mention them" and instead just rolled with the "They're super rare so we just discovered them" way of shuffling it in there.
>>
Has your campaign ever entered a magical realm?
>>
>>54862094
Well it says something when clockwork has the most actual character of the whole bunch.

Also reminder that Kane is some sort of ant- mary sue mary sue, with his only positive quality beign "lolfunny" and that even fails 2 out of 3 times
>>
>>54867767
If you mean an astral plane, then no.

But at this point i'm pretty sure that my GM has a fetish for snarky, unfriendly assholes as NPC, who get overly dramatic at time.
>>
>>54867767
No, we have never had a Dryad, a Pixie or a Troll pc
>>
File: Harley_Goatsgruff[1].jpg (36KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
Harley_Goatsgruff[1].jpg
36KB, 400x267px
How do you buff vehicles to make them a bit tankier? As it is they die pretty easily to even small arms fire, and called shots against them are a complete joke.
>>
>>54862395
Pretty sure it was a car not a barrier.
>>
>>54863915
>>Choosing between living forty minutes from the nearest bakery and constantly being sick

>implying there's a choice of living somewhere that isn't polluted enough to fuck over symbiosis in most games
>>
>>54865190
>Pixies can't even have SINs
>>54865249
>French pixies are recognised as citizens in that Brocholandoland Forest or whatever
At least get your facts straight.

>France is the only nation that issues permanent SINs to pixies; the governments of Tír Tairngire, the United Kingdom, Tír na nÓg, and the UCAS issue criminal SINs to pixies convicted of a crime. NeoNET and Evo are the only megacorporations with pixie corporate citizens.
>>
File: Guard.gif (82KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Guard.gif
82KB, 600x450px
>>54865809
So if you cut out all the fluff of wakayambi and rewrite at least one major African nation, then wakayambi make sense.

Or you keep it as is and realise that they are not well suited to be runner characters in a standard game.
>>
>>54869266
Since we're talking about dryads, has anyone ever played them? How did the symbiosis work?
>>
>>54869309
And my point still stands, why would a pixie leave france to go live in a country where they would be hunted down? Chances are you're going to be playing a SINless Pixie, unless you play one with a criminal SIN. In which case I direct you to the TwoDee storytime and the tale of Trout, you fucking moron.
>>
>>54869451
>criminal SIN
Idea: What happens if you duct-tape a powerful magnet over your SIN? That should fuck with the reader.
>>
>>54869461
Then you walk around looking like a pillock who taped a magnet to his head, and would get jumped and arrested by cops for fucking with your legally-mandated criminal SIN
>>
>>54869477
>being this unimaginative
Just gotta get creative with your magnet hiding.
>>
>>54869461
SIN is 12 digit number that you broadcast with your commlink smartypants
>>
>>54869485
How you gonna hide a magnet, stuck on the part of your body where they stick every criminal SIN? And that's even assuming this shit works against criminal SINs, which it might not because if it did then everyone would do it and the SINs would be pointless.
>>
>>54869451
>And my point still stands, why would a pixie leave france to go live in a country where they would be hunted down?
No. No it does not. You might not be a local SINner, but you're still a SINner and other nations, corporations, etc officially observe, respect, and do not hunt down (for example) EVO corporate representatives.

Provided you don't do anything particularly stupid or obvious to draw the attention of groups that would hunt you down in ways that would create issues for your job, you can get away with it.
>>
>>54869461
>What happens if you duct-tape a powerful magnet over your SIN?
Over the file in your commlink? Over your commlink? Probably nothing. Might cause some noise.
>>
>>54869451
Ah, for the old days, when Joe LoneStar had to actually check your credstick to see if you had a criminal SIN.
>>
Since pretty much everything is done with a keyboard (touch or not), is handwriting still taught in the 6th World? Like, actual writing? I suppose it may have made a comeback since 2070 or so, what with touch interfaces and functional handwriting recognition.
>>
>>54869749
>LANGUAGE IN 2070
>Halfway through the 21st century, reading and writing
>have lost some of their importance as
>society has become more attuned to
>icons and images. Who needs to spell
>well in an age of voice recognition soft -
>ware and automated spell-checking?
>Hi-rez visual displays mean that writ-
>ten communication is highly graph-
>ics-oriented, integrating logos, symbols
>and emoticons into standard discourse.
4e CRB p129, though I believe that 5e has it almost the same
>>
>>54863389
perfect. glad I could help :)
>>
File: omgshakespeare.jpg (63KB, 460x607px) Image search: [Google]
omgshakespeare.jpg
63KB, 460x607px
>>54869789
>integrating logos, symbols
>>and emoticons into standard discourse.
>and emoticons
Those goddamn prescient Germans.
>>
>>54869802
>Germans
???
>>
>>54869810
4e was written by FanPro, who are German. Not sure how much of the original FanPro 4e the copy-pasted into 20A.
>>
>>54869814
>4e was written by FanPro
Fuck, how did I miss that?
>>
>>54869833
Technically, it was written by Americans for the US subsidiary of a German company, but we credit the Germans with everything good in SR already, what's a bit more?
>>
>>54869401
>Hey, let's add a playable race, but not make them at all suitable to actually be played!
The worst kind of game design.
>>
>>54869859
What else to expect from CGL?
>>
>>54869867
The need to re-homebrew anything they put out to make sense.
I don't see why races should be an exception to this universal rule.
>>
File: Untitled.png (487KB, 808x612px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
487KB, 808x612px
>>54869451
There's some scattered canon that indicates literacy is almost a lost art. DNI means that you can essentially directly enter your thoughts into a binary format, so no need to mess with actual human-readable text.

Supposedly this has led to trolls and orks being the most literate metatype due to their disproportionate lack of access to digital media and current schooling methods.
>>54869833
It's kind of a moot point, pretty much everyone who's at CGL was a FanPro employee.
>>
>>54869878
>The need to re-homebrew anything they put out to make sense.
Do you now understand our preference for Krautrules?
>>
>>54869909
No, I can't speak GERMAN
>>
>>54869814
>Not sure how much of the original FanPro 4e the copy-pasted into 20A.
I think it's something similar to the relation between the FASA and FanPro versions of 3e core: One just has all the errata built into it.

Can somebody confirm? I never really did anything with 4e.
>>
>>54869897
>It's kind of a moot point, pretty much everyone who's at CGL was a FanPro employee.
except now they're not getting paid? :D
>>
>>54869072
By stacking on huge amounts of armor. Look up the automatic soaking rules in the core rulebook - throw some armor on a car and it quickly gets very, very hard to deal damage with anything lighter than a sniper rifle.
>>
>>54870031
Or some other gun with SnS ammo with called shot for the electronics... just wanted to point that out.
>>
>>54869855
>>54869802
Iconeracy is far older than 4e.
>>
>>54870176
Yes, if you gear specifically for wrecking vehicles/drones, you'll wreck vehicles/drones. But if you stack a bunch of armor onto a Shin Hyung, you're basically immune to small and medium caliber firearms - or, in other words, everything corpsec/gangers will actually have on hand.
>>
>>54835641
>>Do not buy CGL books
I was out of the loop for quite some time. Did they do something stupid again?
>>
>>54870536
Remember the Ork and Troll book that was promised? It's shit
Remember the magic books? They're shit
Remember the TM book? Scrapped, maybe included in a general Matrix book, ETA unknown

Remember that German book "State of the Art ADL"? It's great
>>
>>54870574
>Remember the TM book? Scrapped, maybe included in a general Matrix book, ETA unknown
Well, fuck. Guess we can't have nice things.
>>
>>54870574
>the TM book? Scrapped, maybe included in a general Matrix book, ETA unknown

FUKIN WAT?

>German book "State of the Art ADL"? It's great
>>
>>54870608
Editor for ebooks has been MIA for several years, there's no budget for a replacement staffer. Lead author on Echoes also had to leave for personal reasons, so there was nobody to push for it to get done elsewise. Hardy's apparently considering doing another Matrix book in 2018 and rolling the rules from Echoes into it. God knows the existing Matrix rules need it.
>>
>>54870673
oh boy
>>
>>54859067
>PBP
Whats pbp?
>>
>>54870971
Play-by-post.
>>
File: 1502163504252.jpg (18KB, 273x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502163504252.jpg
18KB, 273x600px
>>54870971
Play By Post. Roleplaying in a forum thread, essentially. Tends to be more long-form than IRC chat, since you can go hours/days between posts by characters and the GM(s).
>>
>>54871008
Geez that sounds like it would take fucking ages
>>
>>54871014
Well the guy I've seen do it from here does it on a Discord server, but yes it still takes some time.
>>
File: khyzyl-saleem-ferrarigtofinal.jpg (334KB, 1920x992px) Image search: [Google]
khyzyl-saleem-ferrarigtofinal.jpg
334KB, 1920x992px
>>54869072
>>54870031
>>54870176
>>54870346
So, here's what a lot of people don't realize. Vehicles don't even roll Soak unless buying hits wouldn't be enough to negate an attack, because any attack whose post-Soak DV is less than a vehicle's armor gets ignored outright.

So, an an example, let's look at a Hyundai Shin-Hyung with +3 Concealed Armor - a fairly standard runner car. That gives it Armor 9 and Body 10. We'll assume someone is shooting at it with an HK-227, the standard combat weapon of any corpsec response below HTR.

The HK-227 deals 7P damage, and the Hyundai Shin-Hyung's 19 soak dice buy that down to 3P immediately. Unless the person shooting the HK-227 gets 6+ hits, the Shin-Hyung ignores it outright.

Now, that same Shin-Hyung will have to roll every time against an Ares Alpha - with its 11P and the -2 AP dropping the Shin-Hyung to Armor 7.

But if you're expecting that kind of fire, you probably want a Bulldog Step-Van. With concealed armor, that's Body 16 and Armor 17. An Alpha drops that to Armor 15, and the 31 dice pool buys the Alpha down to 4P, meaning you need to roll 11+ hits to do fucking anything.

And even if the Alpha is firing APDS/SNS rounds, that doesn't really help. APDS give it -6 AP, which drops it to Armor 10, but a 27 Soak pool still buys the Alpha down to 5P (meaning it needs 5 net hits to even cause Soak to get rolled) and SNS does even more poorly with less AP and less DV.

The key to having a survivable vehicle is armor and body, in that order.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to make recommendations for cheap, effective vehicles that'll shrug off anything lighter than an assault cannon or APDS sniper rifle, because this shit isn't hard, but it's also not intuitive.
>>
>>54871014
It's true in general that the fewer players you have the faster any game goes, but with play by post in particular the fewer players you have the less you're waiting for hours or days for someone to make the one post needed to move the plot along. I strongly recommend against having more than 2 players (and 1 GM) for a PbP game. 3 players at absolute most.
>>
Hey guys, I've just pushed a new nightly build for Chummer that should fix the behaviour of Essence for awakened/emerged characters; the major issue reported was that if you had Essence loss and initiated, it would automagically bump up your value. That was pretty much the last major issue I wanted to get out of the way for a new release, but the way I fixed it is a bit curly and I'm not sure if anything else odd could crop up. Could you do me a favour and test any weird circumstances you can think of relating to attributes? Tag me as you normally would or send stuff to [email protected], please and thank you.
>>
What is a good single word name for a ninja fresh off the wastelands?
Doesn't necessarily have to be asian sounding.
>>
>>54871598
Hey, minor issue that I only noticed because I was fucking around with vehicle values for an above post? The Hyundai Shin-Hyung isn't displaying the extra mod slots it got in Rigger 5. It should have +4 Body Slots, for 14, and it only has 10.

Also, Chummer still isn't rounding Biocompatibility and Adapsin correctly. It's supposed to round down to the nearest .1, but it doesn't for Used. It applies a multiplier of 1.15 for Biocompatibility when it should be 1.1. Minor, but it could be a serious issue for characters flirting with .1 Essence.

>>54872079
I've always been a fan of names that get more normal the weirder the circumstance the person's from. So, if you're playing a character who was a ninja trained in a monastery in the middle of a magical wasteland who fought his way through gangs of road warriors to get to civilization?

Name him something like Frank or Bill.
>>
>>54871075
>post-Soak DV is less than a vehicle's armor gets ignored outright.
Isn't it pre-soak DV, similar to how hardened armour works?
>>
>>54872079
Make it either a) chuuni/tryhard (you gave yourself the nickname) or b) mocking/an insult (someone else gave you a nickanme.
>>
>>54871075
>If you're interested, I'd be happy to make recommendations for cheap, effective vehicles that'll shrug off anything lighter than an assault cannon or APDS sniper rifle, because this shit isn't hard, but it's also not intuitive.

Please? I'm still trying to learn all the vehicles in Core and Run Faster, anything to make GMing a bit simpler would help.
>>
>>54872147
>>54871075
Just checked the core book, it mentions that "If modified DV is less than the armour of the vehicle, it takes no damage." which might lead some to believe you roll soak and then ignore if it's under, but "modified DV" is actually just base damage + ammo modified + net hits, it's calculated before soak is ever rolled.
So if your DV before the soak test is rolled, with net hits and ammo modifications, is greater than the armour of the vehicle, it must make the defense test, be that buying hits or rolling normally.
>>
>>54861430
Ah okay, so people inhabitated by insect spirits are goners ?
>>
>>54872147
>>54872255
That's weird. There's an entire section talking about auto-soaking attacks using only 4 bought hits, and if what you're saying is true, that kind of thing would be functionally impossible. For example:
>Note that since many vehicles have large Body dice pools, gamemasters are encouraged to use the trade-in-dice-for-hits rule (4 dice equals 1 hit) to simplify tests. Your average tank, for example, will automatically get 4 hits on a Body Test through that trade in, so there is no point in rolling unless the tank needs more than 4 hits.

That suggests to me that the writer of that section was writing under the assumption that the comparison to vehicle armor for the purposes of attack negation was a post-soak calculation.
>>
>>54872257
>Ah okay, so people inhabitated by insect spirits are goners ?
100% goners, yeah. The person is destroyed, their body used to bring the insect spirit into reality. The results of the Inhabitation test determine whether the spirit will come into existence permanently in the metahuman's body, in a hybrid metahuman/insect body, or as a full-blown insect spirit.
>>
>>54872168
If you want a bike that can survive combat out of chargen, your only real shot is a Yamaha Nodachi. You can mod its armor up to 11, which is enough to shrug off most pistol rounds. Any other bike gets shredded by combat. It's expensive, but anything else is more about non-combat high-speed traveling.

For cars, the GMC Armadillo is a cheap pickup that can be brought up to 14 armor. It has more Speed and Seats than something like the Equus too, even if it's not exactly stylish enough to blend in on the high end of town. If you want a higher-end tanky car, you can get a Saeder-Krupp-Bently Concordat up to 16 armor, 4 seats, and Speed 5. Hard to beat that, but it'll draw attention on the poor side of town, and has a starting cost of 65k before mods.

There's also a high-performance offroad vehicle in the form of the Tata Hotspur. It has a big problem in the form of only 2 seats, and a 60k price tag, but it has a Speed of 6 and can get up to 17 armor, so it's fast, all-terrain, and can take a serious pounding.

For trucks, you have three main contenders. You have the Gopher - a 25k pickup that can get up to 14 armor - the Bulldog Step-Van at 35k and 17 armor, and the Ares Roadmaster (a civilian-legal, street-legal armored transport) at 52k and 24 goddamn armor.

Personally, I'd recommend against the Gopher, in no small part because it only has 3 seats standard. The Ares Roadmaster is the classic choice for the discerning battle-driver, but the Step-Van is fine if you're on a budget or want to be completely ignored by security and the cops.

And, of course, for runners who want decent vehicles but don't expect to bring them into live fire situations very often? The Hyundai Shin-Hyung and the Suzuki Mirage are the classic, high-performance commuter vehicles to see them through.

You know, assuming you don't want to give a Dodge Scoot gecko-grip tiers and a mounted sniper rifle and have it Spider-man up buildings for good shots.
>>
File: BnpQIhJ.png (77KB, 820x700px) Image search: [Google]
BnpQIhJ.png
77KB, 820x700px
>>54872323
Good to know, was thinking about creating a Game of shadowrun for new players where bug spirits are the main antagonist and major employer, at least at the beginning.
What would be some shenanigans a Mr.Bugson would runners send to do ?
Stuff that makes new runners go "yay, we are doing the right thing AND get paid." All while working towards the local insect's nest main goal.
>>
>>54872657
Things that get human hosts that nobody will notice going missing all clustered into seemingly-safe places. That was the strategy back in the Brotherhood days too.

So, driving out gangs that are stopping a new 'homeless shelter' from being built, for example. Or getting blackmail against an Ares executive who's trying to block a 'SINless work program.' Or hacking a municipal government server farm in order to allocate funds to a project to help 'dislocated former residents of the Ork Underground find new, permanent housing.'

And then it turns out that each and every one of those are funneling people into sites where, at the climax of the plot, all of the homeless people, unemployed SINless, and displaced/disenfranchised orks are all rounded up like cattle and used as hosts for a new hive of bug spirits.

Make the Johnson seem like they're a community-minded Ares exec with a heart of gold - someone who wanted to get in there and change the corporate culture for the better from the inside, only to find himself getting constantly roadblocked by his peers - only for him to turn out to be some Bug Shaman or a bug spirit whose Inhabitation turned out 100% humanoid instead of insectoid.

Cue shock and horror when it turns out that instead of helping the least-awful Ares executive, the runners were actually paving the way for a bug spirit crisis.

If you want to diminish the emotional impact, have significant portions of the groundwork have also been laid off-screen by other, NPC runner groups, so that the whole runner community shares some blame. If you want it to really hit home hard, have them be the only runner group that was ever used, and have several people on Jackpoint start accusing them of being worse than Hitler, and that they knew there was something fishy all along, and "who's to say that Runners Inc aren't bug spirits in disguise too?"
>>
>>54872504
>Ares Roadmaster with 24 armor(concealed)
>Remembering the time I put 9 obvious armor on a Roadmaster and assaulted vory warehouse/workshop
The two teammates that were gonna sneak in for surprise attack glitched bad and were found before they had chance to fire.
Cue me and the rest of the team driving through the wall and opening fire on everything living through the gun ports.
27 armor. Nothing could stop us...... Man I love this truck
>>
>>54872767
>Or getting blackmail against an Ares executive who's trying to block a 'SINless work program.'
Oh shit that is evil. Who could possibly be against that.

That'll teach runners who take altruism at face value.
>>
>>54872079
>>54872120
The only form of entertainment in that old monastery was old VHS tapes. So he called himself Chuck, after his favorite action movie actor.
>>
File: Bumblebee_2007-04-19.jpg (199KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Bumblebee_2007-04-19.jpg
199KB, 1600x1067px
>>54872767
Those are pretty good, i've also used the time and read up the bugs in SG.

I guess the swarm kind of spirits would make the more reasonable kind of antagonist, since they settle down and look like they plan for the long run.

I think bees would be a good fit. Maybe with some Ms. Johnson who seam REALLY nice, is giving work (shadow work) to some barren kids and has this really nice penthouse with an real garden and flowers 'n shit.
>>
>>54873299
I just really have trouble seeing bee spirits as anything other than bros.

Maybe wasp spirits pretending to be bees? Fuck wasps.
>>
>>54873412
Well, sure, I mean, bros that want to secretly replace people with themselves and kill anyone who stands in their way.
>>
>>54873444
Well, yeah. I mean you get used to that working around politicians and BLM.
>>
>>54873452
Yes, but they're open about their goals. Not so with insect spirits.
>>
>>54873611
True, true.

Can't wait to see if insect spirits try to co-opt or infest 2XL's Orc Lives Matter.
>>
Okay so if Ares is half-run by Bug Spirits now, would it make sense for that gang of Mantis Spirit lesbians to start doing some anti-Ares terrorism?
>>
>>54873652
Well you see, when you combine Trogga Synthesis with a Bugga Moment, you get a complete motherfuckin' disaster!
Thread posts: 333
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.