[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gone Horribly Right/Newbies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 35

File: frollosith.jpg (332KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
frollosith.jpg
332KB, 1920x1080px
>My turn to GM
>Issue Challenge to players: Play a team of literary or animated villains in a new setting
>They choose Pathfinder. Not exactly the farthest stretch, but they had the books.
>Okay, smart guys, how you gonna make this work? Hard Mode: Attempt to become the heroes of the story, despite flaws.
> Inquisitor Frollo, Ranger Clayton, Paladin Gaston with La Foole as packmule npc/bard
>1a. Frollo and Gaston make French jokes at the expense of anglo Clayton
>1b. Frollo and Clayton make Noble jokes at the expense of village hick Gaston
>1c. Clayton and Gaston make Trophy Hunter/Outdoorsie jokes at the expense of urban scrub Frollo.
>2. Dang it, they've already got a perfect circle of background/witty banter lined up.
>3. Gaston-player even took the time to make LaFoole using mostly npc-classes; he never bothers reading the rules usually. I can't punish him for actually getting invested in mechanics, can I?
>I try suggesting Dark Heresy or 13th Age instead; I had those books as pdfs. "Nope, here, have PathfinderSRD".
>They've laid the groundwork, got me the rules, and actually 'made' character-alikes that aren't completely antagonistic to each other
>Just as I'm about to get started, Player Four Arrives, asking if he can join.

My three regular jokers are finally getting coordinated, rule-savvy, and seem to have gotten over their usual pickering/That Guying to play something that actually seems fun. Problem is, they weren't counting on Player Four showing up.

I want to allow Player Four, but have him follow the same guideline I set beforehand. I'm torn between rewarding them for actually taking the time to think things out and have made their characters.... but I also want to mess with them so that I can maintain control of things rather than watch any plot I make get rektd too easily.
A) Any suggestions for Player Four?
B) What is best in life, to see actual Jolly Cooperation or hear the lamentations of their failing?
>>
>>54769514
>Pathfinder
Couldn't they be persuaded to play 5e instead?
>>
>>54769550
OP here.
Sure they could... if anyone sent me the rules. My budget for new books is ash and couch-change until mid-September.
If there's an SRD for 5e, you people can save me from having to actually read Pathfinder.... though it would mean Gaston-anon would have to remake his npc-follower.
Meh, I could do that for him, it's just he actually fricking read the Pathfinder rules enough to make his own sheet (a god-damned first; usually Frollo-anon makes his character for him, hence the fricking titlecard pic)
>>
File: lol face.jpg (87KB, 532x528px) Image search: [Google]
lol face.jpg
87KB, 532x528px
>>54769666
OP again.
Jesus, I'm lazy.
http://www.5esrd.com/
Yes, they could play 5e. Why? Is it better for the players? Or for me, the GM?
>>
>>54769724
OP: the last.
Yes, they are changing to 5e. Doesn't change the setting much, but Gaston-anon is disappoint.
>Him: "Does that mean I have to read new rules."
>Frollo-anon. "No, Player Two; it means we 'get' to read new rules."
Apparently Frollo-anon wanted to do this, but Clayton suggested Pathfinder first and printed sheets.
So now they need new sheets.... and I need new printer ink. Great.
>>
>>54769724
5e is better than Pathfinder for a plethora of reasons that have been expounded upon elsewhere. Its major failing as compared to Pathfinder is that there aren't quite as many player options, but on the other hand that's a feature, not a bug, as it makes the game as a whole far more balanced.

>>54771205
Clayton-Anon can still be a Ranger, by the way, but I and probably everyone else on /tg/ will HIGHLY recommend that you allow, and he used, the Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger, which is basically going to eventually replace the Player's Handbook core ranger as the PHB Ranger is aggressively bad (but is the only core class to be so)

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
>>
File: Pathfinder and 5e.jpg (283KB, 983x911px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder and 5e.jpg
283KB, 983x911px
>>54769724
>Yes, they could play 5e. Why? Is it better for the players? Or for me, the GM?
Both.
>>
>>54769724
SRD is not enough (it barely has any of the content in it), you should download the full handbook. It's in 5eg.
You should also make use of this
https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Artificer%20(UA),
>>
>>54769514
>A) Any suggestions for Player Four?

Not female, unless it's Ursula or some shit. Seriously, you got Gaston and Frollo. There is no way dropping a desirable woman between those two men ends well.
>>
File: Jafar is not amused.png (164KB, 486x366px) Image search: [Google]
Jafar is not amused.png
164KB, 486x366px
>>54771527
This party needs a spellcaster.
>>
File: maleficent-original.jpg (51KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
maleficent-original.jpg
51KB, 600x456px
>>54771527
>There is no way dropping a desirable woman between those two men ends well.

It's about the journey, not the destination. Besides, Disney's got plenty of options that Gaston and Frollo wouldn't necessarily quest after. And their party does lack a mage...
>>
File: poison.png (94KB, 1266x443px) Image search: [Google]
poison.png
94KB, 1266x443px
>>54769514
>>
File: abyssal aoh_victory_by_okha.jpg (269KB, 827x827px) Image search: [Google]
abyssal aoh_victory_by_okha.jpg
269KB, 827x827px
>>54771418
>https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
The ranger link worked. And saved. But the 5eg is down. Artificer saved.
>Pathfinder pics: wtf
>5e pics: Darkest Dungeon
I can see I almost made a terrible mistake.jpg
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 1.png (109KB, 1052x390px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 1.png
109KB, 1052x390px
>>54771873
Keep in mind that there's not only artificer there. Every class and archetype, every single spell, monster, magic item, it's basically 5e catalogued.
>I can see I almost made a terrible mistake.jpg
That's only the playerbase. Wait until you see the rules, who made them and with what in mind.
Here, let me drop some pics.
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 2.jpg (606KB, 1363x1406px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 2.jpg
606KB, 1363x1406px
>>54771954
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 3.jpg (1MB, 1688x2696px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 3.jpg
1MB, 1688x2696px
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 4.png (147KB, 1411x805px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 4.png
147KB, 1411x805px
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 5.jpg (1MB, 1668x3437px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 5.jpg
1MB, 1668x3437px
>>
Oh, one more thing, one more thing. There are plenty of differences between Pathfinder and 5e when it comes to rules, but one in particular is likely to confuse your players.
In Pathfinder, archetypes are something you sacrifice your class features for. You exchange your abilities for some other abilities. In 5e, it's the opposite - archetype is mandatory to pick, and you get it's features for free. Not understanding it is a common mistake people who played Pathfinder first make.
>>
>>54771873
What the 5eg failed to deliver, torrent and onion accomplished.
OP: The Undying
>A fallen holy man and two hunters, struggling for the Light and for unrequited love in a world turned cruel and horrid with heresy, corruption, eldritch magic, and savagery. Let the darkness begin.
Also, Player Four is in a toss-up between Jafar wizard, Dr. Facilier occultist/sorceror, or Hans rogue/bard. He also seems to want to be my mole, should I need one. With all of them being a mix of martial and spellweaving, this could be interesting. Will update with final choice/lurk for more advice.
>>
PCs on levels 1-3 are very squishy, and die easily to goblins. This is why they should get through level 1 very fast, after a single extremely forgiving combat, and ideally they should reach level 3 at the end of the second session. Level 3 is not only the level you can finally stop pulling punches at, but also when majority of classes get their archetype and finally become big boys.

Many DMs prefer to start on level 3 right away, but I advise against it, since you and your players are obviously new to this. No need to complicate it.

http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
By the way, this builds encounter for you.
>>
File: emperor tears.png (148KB, 320x350px) Image search: [Google]
emperor tears.png
148KB, 320x350px
>>54772421
>>54772058
>>54772019
>>54771954
>>54771976
>>54771992
>>54772004
>>54772019
What did all this rain come from?
>>
>>54771976
Out of curiosity, and just to indulge Sean K Reynolds, I am now going to Google how long it takes to make a suit of full plate armor (DC 19 craft check).

Google says "a few months", so we'll take that to mean 3 months. This seems about right, given the skill needed and the fact that most suits of plate armor were custom-made for the wearer, not bought off a rack; nor were they produced en masse in a factory, but rather by one armorsmith and his apprentices.

A level 3 expert could probably have a +15 to craft checks (+2 ability, +3 ranks, +3 trained, +3 skill focus, +2 another feat, +2 aid another from apprentice), and so could complete the full plate in about 31 weeks, or 7 months.

So...yeah, Pathfinder characters are kind of not very good at their jobs.

(interestingly, if you were to use the item's price in ELECTRUM (1 gp = 5 ep) rather than silver for crafting, then the plate armor would be finished in about 15 weeks, or just under 4 months, which seems far closer to reality. Would that fix work out elsewhere, I wonder?)
>>
>>54772058
This is why in 5e I refer to archetypes as "kits" or "subclasses" instead. Although mostly "kits". I'm oldskool like that, dawg.
>>
>>54772421
When I GM I start at level 2, I think OP should too.
Decent HP, actually have usable class features, and with some tough combat they can be level 3 in time for session 2.
>>
>>54772507
It's ok anon, it's ok.
>>
>>54772507
I legitimately enjoy playing PF and even I get sad sometimes. Don't worry about it.

Don't worry about the kitsune pics, either. People are pretty sure that's one guy dumping his anime folder to post new threads on page 4/6/7/anything sooner than 10.

What you REALLY need to watch out for in /pfg/ is the celebrity drama.
>>
>>54772799
>People are pretty sure that's one guy dumping his anime folder
Can you stop with denial? Your whole threads are nothing but weebshit, furfaggory, waifufaggotry, "lewd" games that are actually simply ERP and other garbage.
>>
>>54772815
>denial

I'm only repeating what I've been told. If someone's in denial, it's way up the telephone line.
>>
>>54772815
>ERP

Wouldn't that fall under "celebrity drama" since that's what they're always on about?

>weeb
Is that a real complaint on a Tuvan throat-singing website?

>furry
Not sure if 2006 or that guy who always reees in Khajiit threads. Either way, "yiff in hell" is an ancient, dead meme and there are much more obnoxious targets these days.
>>
>>54771603
I WHOLEHEARTDLY AGREE THIS PARTY NEEDS A JAFAR
>>
>>54772904
See, this is why nobody likes you.
>>
>>54772815
>stop living in denial

Humans need delusions to exist, lest they realize that their existences are pointless and end themselves.
>>
File: fem_shan_yu_by_maby_chan-d7bmh0d.jpg (266KB, 900x1751px) Image search: [Google]
fem_shan_yu_by_maby_chan-d7bmh0d.jpg
266KB, 900x1751px
OP: Whitewalker
>A new challenger arrives.
>Four now settling into Jafar. Okay, sure.
>Then GF of Clayton-anon shows up.
>Saw the thread, in particular
>>54771873
>>54772331
>>54772019
>wants in now.
Five. Five players. I think I can do five. God help me.
>Wants to know if the genders of the literary characters is fixed or not.
>Clayton-anon tells her that she's not playing the actual Disney villain, just something strongly based by it, looks at me with what resembles puppy-dog eyes.
>GF/Potential Player five shows me pic related.

Allow/disallow? I'm guessing barbarian.
>>
>>54772665
No one should ever indulge Sean K Reynolds.
That dude's a cunt.
>>
>>54772981
I'm not sure what "this" is, to be honest. I don't even know where this thread, or this conversation, or anything at all is going. For all I know, you and I are agreeing on something in another thread right now.

All I know is thread celebrity arguments are worse for a general and for a board than any of those other things.
>>
>>54773061
Why not? I mean, Shen Yu wasn't a particularily memorable villain, but you already have Clayton in your group.
Barbarian could be it, but also ranger, if she wants to emphasize the hawk pet.
>>
>>54773076
Eh...he did once defend the status of the girdle of masculinity/femininity as a cursed item, so he can't be all bad

(The arguments against went something like "It's 201X, the LGBTQ revolution is happening, why is the girdle still a cursed item?" and he responded with something to the effect of "1) because you don't get a choice, and 2) because the item tries to trick you into thinking it's some other kind of magic belt. Therefore it's a cursed item")
>>
>>54773061
>pic from tumblr
Are you sure about this? Could be a bad sign.
>>
>>54773116
You can tell when he's toeing the company line and when he's not, methinks.
>>
File: Current year.png (204KB, 500x520px) Image search: [Google]
Current year.png
204KB, 500x520px
>>54773116
>t's 201X
>>
>>54773124
Sometimes tumblr pics are just what pops up when you're doing a Google search, dude.
>>
File: worsethandeath.png (66KB, 171x233px) Image search: [Google]
worsethandeath.png
66KB, 171x233px
>>54773140
>201X
>not 20XX
>>
>>54773095
OP: Revenant
Yeah, she wants the hawk.
>Gaston-anon has halfling follower 'squire/packmule'
>Clayton-anon comtemplating opting out of ranger in favor of either trapmaking long-range Rogue or Fighter
>Player Four now Jafar/Jafar-Fem? with Iago as familiar/spirit possessed parrot
>Player Five now Ranger with HawkBrah, high-fiving Player Four on Bird Friends
>Frollo-anon rolls eyes, names black horse he intends to ride Alliard or Phoebus "since we're doing the pet thing now."
>Clayton-anon quietly hands me note saying thanks and offering to buy snacks for first session.
>He's actually bringing snacks? Since when does that happen?

So apparently me being DM makes things run smoother, thanks to 4chan. Is this that Kek-god-thing I hear so much about?
>>
>>54773366
Your digits say yes.
>>
>>54772904
yiff in hell Furfag.
>>
File: 1407490980556.png (183KB, 1176x1496px) Image search: [Google]
1407490980556.png
183KB, 1176x1496px
>>54773116
I can also appreciate how fast he turned around on a lot of the company line stuff as soon as he was let go. I think it turned out most of the stuff that gets typically pinned on SKR was actually Jason Bulmahn using him as a scapegoat/mouthpiece.
>>
>>54773366
There's a free fighter archetype that works pretty well if your Clayton player wants to be a gunslinger. It's on DM's guild and would make the character a dex/wis/con fighter maybe int above con if you have him inventing.
>>
File: Untitled.png (197KB, 749x255px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
197KB, 749x255px
>>54773477
>>
I just want to say, I whole heartedly approve of everything this game is shaping up to be.
>>
File: map blipblop.png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
map blipblop.png
2MB, 1024x768px
Incoming prototype map I made using oldschool Inkarnate.
Warning: I am shit at maps.
Bonus points for whomever can guess where I got the names of places from.
>>54773654
Me too. You guys are the best.
>>
>>54773700
>oldschool Inkarnate
Is this a different version than the web based one?
>>
>>54773738
Same one; I tried editting this one, which I made six months ago just putzing around, and the website just locked up on me. I can't change it.

I can make another one, though.
>>
>>54773700
Dark souls.

If you're interested in the gunslinger archetype I can post a pdf and talk you through it. Fair warning that it can destroy things when it novas if the player is at all lucky.
>>
File: 1419978281760.jpg (138KB, 1100x850px) Image search: [Google]
1419978281760.jpg
138KB, 1100x850px
>>54773700
Well, the map seems to cover all the basics, though of course a map is just a map.

Personally for my next campaign I'm seriously considering just using pic.
>>
>>54773893
That would be lovely, thanks.
If none of them are interested, maybe I can use it for the BBEG, though I should probably go with Evil Wizard/Cleric. Maybe as an optional boss?
>>54774027
That does look like it would cover things, but I feel like if I don't put some effort into the map, they'll think I'm just dialing in Standard Fantasy Expy #1 here. I don't need to break every trope, but a few here and there won't hurt.
>>54773893
>pic.
>>
>>54774157
Given that your characters are all based on Disney villains, the actual logical thing to do for a villain is some kind of singing Bard or Druid princess with a veritable army of animal companions and a host of potential suitors to serve as lieutenants.

A guy on Deviantart did a series of "Twisted Princess" pieces that could be inspirational.

http://jeftoon01.deviantart.com/gallery/11344500/Twisted-Princess

He has some "backgrounds" for some of them, but I mostly ignore those and prefer to come up with my own scenarios.

Personal favorite is pic.
>>
>>54774157
I'm not sure how well it would work for a boss as ranged attacks get disadvantage with an enemy adjacent under most circumstances. Of course I do have a few ideas of what you could do for enemies given that your players are Disney villains. There's two other PDFs for stuff by the same guy that made this one for a class he designed himself. The class works off of the idea that the character alters their own being for power so you could easily make Quasimodo (mutant blood hunter) or Beast (lycan bloodhunter) that would otherwise be a bit tough.
>>
>>54774285
The Disney thing wasn't originally mandatory; the first three players just all picked Disney villains when they got back to me.
That being said,
>Jafar-anon seems to want pic-related be a part of his backstory; he and princess were originally in-cahoots slowly poisoning sultan. Unfortunately, one of them (probably princess) 'accidentally' upped the dose too fast. Blamed 'suspicious death' on vizier, exiled/fled for his life. Now, his over-arching goal is to 'convince' the other PCs to aid him in quietly overthrowing the princess..... somehow. Mostly, he's in hiding..

That being said:
>P1: Gaston-anon Paladin, Folk Hero, Oath of Protection archetype. Childhood Love/Intended kidnapped by fae/horrid shifter-thing, accompanied by retainer/squire on a hunt.90% Gaston, 10% Robert Baratheon during Robert's Rebellion.

>P2: Frollo-anon, Cleric of the Hallowed Dawn, Inquisitor, Fire Domain archetype, https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Archetypes . Once an annointed member of the Church of the Hallowed Dawn, watched his town burned to death by crazed occultist travellers. Carries an ever-smoldering torch, ready to blaze forth, to return the favor. 90% Frollo, 10% Stannis Baratheon, or so he claims.

>P3: Clayton-anon Rogue, Noble, Bounter-Hunter archetype. Big Game hunter, minimal tragic backstory, 'in it for the thrill of chasing the most dangerous game of all'.

>P4: Jafar-anon Wizard, Vizier/Outlander, Fiendish Tradition archetype 'consorting with Djinn'. May advise Warlock-Genie archetype. Banished vizier and conjurer, djinn-consorter and vile diabolist/would-be sultan obsessed with revenge.

>P5: Shan Yu-chan Ranger, Outlander, Beastmaster-Constant-Falcon archetype.Miminal tragic backstory.... at least for her. Probably a mercenary in-league with Clayton-anon. BF/GF Battle Couple

>both 3 and 5 have been warned I Fade To Black, Always.
>>
>>54773366
Dubs don't lie my friend
>>
>>54771643
>Malificent
>Not attractive enough to lust over
The only real issue if that power wise, she could roll the other three with one hand tired behind her back. There's also the evil queen, who based on feats is probably more of an alchemist w/ starting magic item than an actual caster
>>
File: evilness.jpg (40KB, 766x350px) Image search: [Google]
evilness.jpg
40KB, 766x350px
>>54769514
As far as suggestions for player four go, he'd be a fool not to have pic related as a cleric.
>>
>>54773700
I'm no expert, but just taking a quick glance over - your rivers, mountains and biomes all look just fine, nothing egregiously bizarre or unrealistic. That alone makes it better than 90% of amateur mapmakers.
>>
File: PoorTaste.png (33KB, 222x195px) Image search: [Google]
PoorTaste.png
33KB, 222x195px
>>54772019
>crossbows
>completely inferior to normal longbows
>>
>>54773061
I mean: she could play something that is not a barbarian and still get a hawk pet. Doesn't mean that it will help her in any way, shape or form if she plays another class that isn't a ranger with beast companion.

A bard, as other anons already stated, would probably round out the group incredibly well. Although she would have to play an Urula kind of character in order to avoid Gaston hitting on her and things.
>>
>>54769666
Astranauta.github.io
>>
>>54769724
5e is much easier to run, and has a lot less fiddly tracking, and has better balanced classes and fewer trap options.

On the other hand, you have way less flexibility of character build to make exactly what you want to play. It's less like a free form point buy system with levels, and more like 2e with kits, plus 3e style multiclassing rules.
>>
>>54771392
Pfg is only representative of the people who make pathfinder generals on 4chan. There's a couple guys who hop on making general threats before anyone else and being up their fetish bait.

The 5eg discord is the same thing, but worth far more homoerotic erp. >>54771873

>>54772815
You're absolutely right that's what pfg is like. It used to be more on topic, but it eventually got so bad that I refused to go there to talk about pathfinder, even though I actively played it, and just went to gitp instead.
>>
>>54774568
>dandwiki
Shit, nigger, what are you doing. NEVER use dandwiki. Is Light domain not enough?
>>
>>54769666
>Gaston-anon
Gastanon.

Also trips.
>>
>>54774568
>Fiendish Tradition
Wha-a-a-a..?
>Beastmaster
I really hope you mean Beast Conclave.
>>
>>54774568
D and wiki is the worst homebrew website I've ever seen.
>>
>>54771205
Unless you regularly print colour photos, get a laser printer. You'll save money in the long run.
>>
>>54771205
You will save a fortune if you use a laser printer.

>>54777793
Even color ones can be gotten for like $200 now.

Ink jet is a shell game to scam you out of money.
>>
File: scar.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
scar.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>54769514
Druid who wildshapes into a lion, envious of his older brother. Has that posh, snobbish way of speaking
>>
>>54775991
>cleric
>not warlock

It's like you don't even have friends on the other side
>>
>>54771992
I fucking hate how there are people in this world that think magic users are exempt from the rules of normal reality, and martials aren't.

It shouldn't be Merlin as compared to Doug from down the street. It should be Merlin as compared to fucking Hercules. Yes, Hercules should be able to do some crazy shit that is not "realistic", but that is what the quintessential max level fighter should be like.

I have INCREDIBLE difficulty understanding the perspective of people who think that, in a world of fantasy and magic, only the people who directly harness it should benefit from the fantasy aspects. What's to say there isn't some magic imbued in that fighter's fucking muscles, soaked in there from years of honing and effort?
>>
>>54778254
I don't remember Facilier being an eldritch blast turret, and that's all warlock is in 5e.
>>
>>54773366
Meme magic is strong in this post.
>>
>>54778339
You got a lot of good invocations that help with the feel.

We never really see him fight, as it were, anyway.
>>
>>54778630
>You got a lot of good invocations that help with the feel.
If you know nothing about 5e, just say it, there's nothing to be ashamed of.
>>
>>54777482
Gothel is totally a Bard diplomancer w/ lich.
>>
>>54771603
Urban(ish), Noble, Non-French, Spellcaster

He's not the best fit, but he's not terrible either
>>
>>54779364
>tfw when didn't read the thread.
Seems to be going okay for OP though
>>
>>54777747
I'll talk this over with Frollanon. I think he's letting that Hellfire song and his love of Stannnis as the one true king of Westeros push him toward Fire. Light makes more sense, at least initially.
>>54777747
Really? Shit, I'm sorry guys. I mean, they already made their sheets, again, from Pathfinder to 5e using that thing. Making them do it again-again would seem kinda schizophrenic at this point.
>>54777759
Please explain the advantages of this,or did P5 just make a terrible mistake?
>>
>>54779798
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class?src=hottest_filtered&filters=0_0_0_0_0_45462_0_0

So I decided to try to make Quasimodo as villain with a straight bloodhunter build.

1: Rite of the Storm
2: Archery Fighting style, blood curse of mutual suffering
3: Celerity, aether, mobility
4: Sharpshooter
6: Rite of the Frozen, blood curse of the fallen puppet
7: Rapidity
8: Crossbow expert
10: Blood curse of the eyeless
11: Rite of the Flame, nighteye
12: ASI
14: Rite of the Roar, blood curse of binding
15: Precision
16: ASI
18: Blood curse of purgation, reconstruction, permanent precision
19: ASI

I also made beast with this http://www.dmsguild.com/product/175606/Order-of-the-Lycan-for-Blood-Hunters?src=also_purchased&filters=0_0_0_0_0_45462_0_0

1: Rite of the flame
2: Great weapon fighting style, blood curse of the marked
4: GWM
6: Rite of the Frozen, blood curse of the fending rite
8: Savage attacker
10: Blood curse of mutual suffering
11: Rite of the storm
12: Mage slayer
14: Rite of the oracle, blood curse of spell sunder
16: ASI
18: Blood curse of binding
19: ASI
>>
>>54779798
Beastmaster is a crappy archetype of ranger, Beast Conclave is a much better archetype of revised ranger that you've been linked.

>Light
Light domain IS fire domain. Look at the spells they get - burning hands, fireball, and so on. Maybe you shouldn't press your players to remake their characters AGAIN, but make it clear that they're using homebrew, potentially terribly unbalanced homebrew, and it's not a thing you'll be allowing in the future.

Also, this can't be said enough. NEVER use dandwiki, and don't let your players use dandwiki either.
NEVER.
>>
>>54779798
Forge and light clerics would work better although I could see Frollo as a phoenix sorcerer

Getting rid of homebrew won't be that bad of a thing. D&Dwiki is cancer 99.9% of the time and an obvious joke the remaining .1%.

Player 5 made a horrible mistake, they're using the initial ranger release instead of the re-release which fixes the class. The original ranger was way below where they should be in terms of power and they corrected that with an unearthed arcana (basically playtesting stuff which may or may not get published but isn't official) which they allow into official play. You can find it here: https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Ranger%20(Revised),
>>
>>54776232
Thanks.
Anyway, I guess I should put a few descriptions in for settings.
All of these are works in-progress so names might be changed around by the time I get to running this in about a week or two.
Starting from center-right, clockwise...

Lindelt: Used to be dragon-worshippers before The Lady and her Knights Aasimar put paid to that sort of thing. Now, strong autocracy and center of the Church of the Hallowed Dawn. Think HRE means Empire-WHF meets Bretonnia.

Jugo: Lindelt's frienemy to the south. Definitely Arabic motifs. The Church is strong here in terms of people's faith in it, but the clergy are weaker to ward off Lindelt's influence politically. Owns the Windhome, aka Desert and Dungeon, where men prove their strength or get rekt by bedouins and their djinn allies.

Mirrah: Franco-Italian kingdom with lots of intrigue and dueling in the capitol, less so on the fringes. Homeland of Gastanon and Frolanon. The Church is still here, though other, more insipid forces are also at play here, especially since the place is rife with merchants from Melfia and people fleeing from the catastrophe in Forossa.

Forrosa: Used to be a badass oligarchy-confederacy of warlords and beards, tribute coming from mercenary bands and the Mirrahnese. Then one of their number managed to get himself elected High King, built a keep up in the mountains, and supposedly woke something up there. In a fortnight, everything except a few villages along the river got swallowed up by Black Forest and angry spirits. Forossan mercenaries and traveller-bands are now everywhere on the continent being anywhere from useful and polite to bandits and renegade armies.... 'cause they're not going back there. Think lost city-dungeons, dark woods, and lots of occult/pagan happenings.

Melfia: City of traders, warm-water sailors, and harboring actual wizarding schools. Church is weak here. Influences range Greco-Arabic-Iranian. Probably Jafaranon's hometown,if not Jugo.
>>
>>54780322
>>54773700
Lanafir: Afro-Ethiopian kingdom, main city actually built on top of an ancient bridge spanning a giant well. Sends out individual tradesmen to gather things, discourages outsiders visiting semi-forcefully. Probably one of the only places Forossan wanderers haven't thoroughly infiltrated.

Volgen and the Broken Hand: Blacksmiths, craftsmen, sailors. Anglo-influence in architecture with more Creole and African touches as you enter the Broken Hand. Church is neither strong nor weak, here; people are actually kinda open to anything provided it gives them an edge. Claytanon homeland.

Faerholdt: Remember that mess in Forossa? Now imagine somebody managed to put a lid on it just before things went critical mass. Sailors, Witchhunters, Merlin-level geomancers trying to keep the fae contained. Albion meets Changeling: The Lost.

Irythill: Norse-Russo Bros. Never heard of the Church. Old habits, old customs, still has draggos. Mild Undead problem, but fixable.... right?
The Blasted Heath: Volcanoes, pine forests meets steppes, mild habitation by individuals. Romania meets Steppes. Lindelt, Irythill, and Alonne like to think they own it, but truth be told flags are kinda pointless out here. Also, probably the source of the dragons. P5 homeland.

Alonne: Your isolated China/Japan expy here. Very mild Church influence coming in recently, mostly Spirit Courts and dragon-worship. Spends most of its time fighting Forossan bandits off and occasionally sending shapeshifting spies and Lone Swordsmen out.
>>
>>54779972
>>54779928

P5 redid her sheet accordingly. No muss, no fuss. Says thanks for the tip.
Frolanon grumbled, then remembered that, being the smart RPG veteran he is, he did his sheet in pencil. So that took all of ten seconds.

The others made a 4chan/Twitch Plays GM joke, but are otherwise onboard.
Jafaranon still wants to know why Fiendish Tradition is a bad idea.
>>
>>54780593
I just found and read the archetype and it's just bad, like doesn't quite work bad. I'd suggest either pushing the player to build a fiend pact warlock, a draconic sorcerer, or a phoenix sorcerer as they're all similar concepts for the fiend wizard but better executions and they're closer to what Jafar would be. You could reframe any of those as being djinn.
>>
>>54780696
Jafaranon has made the switch to draconic sorceror. Unfortunately, he wrote in pen, so now Frolanon is making a sheet for him out of graph-paper.
>>
>>54780593
>Fiendish Tradition
Well, where the fuck did he get it from? Cause no arcana or official book has this Fiendish Tradition.
>>
>>54780593
>Twitch Plays
Oh boy, brings back memories. My favourite was Emerald, by the way.
>>
>>54780758
D&Dwiki, at least that's where I found it.
>>54780749
Just curious based on your description of the kingdoms, what's the tech level of various places?
>>
File: dinyXkZ.jpg (194KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dinyXkZ.jpg
194KB, 1920x1200px
>>54780806
Oh yeah.
>>
>>54780839
>Tech Level
I'm tempted to early 1600s. Really, however far back I need to be when guns didn't have grooves, most people are more comfortable with bows if they're not in the military. One of the underlying themes of the game, as it continues to germinate here, is that humanity/dwarves were on the verge of developing the Scientific Theory/heliocentrism/whatever, and the Supernatural world is reacted Violently to it. Roads are becoming harder to travel, the odd village or two is being lost or becoming isolated, spies from other nations and the fae are going. The Outer Darkness is getting stronger. The fact that one of the countries, Forossa, fell to Sudden Black Foresting within the last 50-100 years is not making things better for anyone.

And somewhere, a man who had only been trying to look up in the night sky with lens in a tube has been found ripped to shreds by what appears to be giant wolf teeth.
>>
>>54781090
In that case I'm surprised none of your players went for a gunslinger fighter or even a weaponsmith artificer. It would be especially interesting to have a player who operates off of science in a setting which abhors it.
>>
>>54781177
Funny you should mention that.
Because Frolanon's kid brother (and by kid, I mean senior in high-school) wants in on this.
Six. Six players. This is the absolute limit.
Anyway, he'll be in-and-out, and wanted to make a character that can kinda show up once in a while and help out.
And he sent me this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-RudZv_YQ
>>
>>54781379
Volo's guide to monsters has Yuan-Ti, but they are universally considered overpowered. There are also lizardfolk.
>>
>>54781379
We're gonna need to talk about this. This is mid-Renaissance, not a western. I'm not sure how he'd mesh with the other PCs if he's playing a dragonborn, or if he just wants to do a snake motif. But it. Could. Work.
>>
>>54780839
Just from a glance at Fiendist tradition, it's basically giving a massive boost to damage spells in addition to summoning allies. It's literally taking the role of a normal wizard, sorcerer, and necromancer all at once, except it probably excels in all of these roles by itself.

I'd have to do the specific playtesting or math to know for sure, but summoning 2 Night Hags at level 10 as opposed to only 6 zombies is absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>54781448
Just give him a fucking crossbow. Fighter with a Crossbow Expert can eventually fire 9 arrows per round with a hand crossbow.
>>
>>54781448
There's naga in Planeshift Amonkhet, lizardfolk, and yuan-ti purebloods. Of course what that character does isn't quite in the realm of a gunslinger, it's more like what you'd expect out of a fighter with a bow.
>>
>>54781495
Holy shit, the Fiendish magic trait is giving you empowered spells for every fire/poison attack for free. Sorcerers have to spend sorcerer points to do this...And you get damage resistance to fire, poison, AND nonmagical physical damage as well on TOP of a poison immunity. What the fuck am I reading.

Never trust dandwiki my friend.
>>
>>54781495
>>54781554
There's a reason why I said it doesn't work. The game kind of breaks around it and that's considering lore master wizard.
>>
>>54781587
/r/ing the Freedom aint Free Spurdo of the Loremaster going "Wizards of the COAST not martials who can BOAST"
Fugg I shouldn't have dropped my last phone....
>>
File: Loremaster wizard.png (638KB, 586x588px) Image search: [Google]
Loremaster wizard.png
638KB, 586x588px
>>54781637
>>
>>54781637
I've always liked playing martials (good ones like ToB) or near martials like the 5e warlock. I always enjoy when they get nice things but I'll be honest that I don't mind if casters get good shit, lore master crossed a line.
>>
So...
Inquisitor Cleric
Oath of Perfection Paladin
Bounty Hunter Rogue
Draconiic Sorceror
Beast Conclave Ranger
And the new kid/sixth ranger Fighter.

Seriously, guys. I'm putting a cap on this. Five/six at a time. I'm still new at GMing.
>>
>>54781733
>Inquisitor
What?
>Oath of Perfection
Huh?!
>>
>>54781733
By bounty hunter do you mean the background or this: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Bounty_Hunter_(5e_Archetype)

Meanwhile I'm about to DM for the first time outside of a oneshot for 8 people (yay)

>>54781757
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oath_of_Perfection_(5e_Archetype)
>>
>>54781780
>Dandwiki
Oh for fuck's sake, OP, what is WRONG with you? Fine, I'll take a look. I mean ,what's the worst thing I'm gonna find inside?
>>
>>54781808
Everything. I'm reading it now and fuck this.
>>
>>54781818
I actually think that Bounty Hunter isn't that bad. It's certainly not overpowered. You may even make the case for it being underpowered compared to swashbuckler.
Oath of Perfection though is just bad. I mean, come the fuck on.
I can't even find this Inquisitor domain for clerics. Where did he find it?
>>
>>54781733
OP, you can't use homebrew stuff. Beast conclave is official so you don't have to worry about it, just stick to the Handbook archetypes for everyone else.
>>
>>54781897
>Can't
Well, nobody's saying he can't. He just shouldn't, because most of homebrew is fucking garbage. I'm still triggered by the fiendish tradition.
>>
File: Typhon Hungry and Angry.jpg (192KB, 1371x583px) Image search: [Google]
Typhon Hungry and Angry.jpg
192KB, 1371x583px
>>54781780
>>54781867
You know what, fuck this.
Until further notice, Core Book.
With the exception of the ranger. I have twenty some-odd books to read, and I am tired of it.
>>54781897
I Hear You.
There, that should make this simple.
We'll see what happens when they hear this.
>>
>>54781926
>Until further notice, Core Book.
Arcanas (with exception of loremaster wizard) are completely fine, and so is every archetype from SCAG.

Now, if you need help with the whole classes thing, than I'd advise Oath of Conquest (paladin) to Gaston, Beast Conclave Ranger to Shen Yu, Hunter (Revised, it's important) Ranger to Clayton, Enchantment Wizard to Jafar and Light Cleric to Frollo, Forge Cleric if he wants into melee instead, they are both fire-based, though Forge less so. Battlemaster Fighter for Rattlesnake.
>>
>>54781867
I agree on the bounty hunter, I actually think it's a bit weak. Fuck this was in relation to oath of perfection, everything in there is just a giant fuck you to DMs. It even has an ability where you get a fucking bonus for the DC going up, something the DM will do because of your bullshit other oath abilities.

>>54781917
Then you haven't read oath of perfection.

>>54781926
If you limit them to first party only (core, dm's guide, sword coast, volo's, UAs, and planeshifts) then it should work fine. I've read plenty of 5e homebrew (some of it is so bad it's funny and others work well for NPCs that are meant to be broken) and the only stuff that's seemed reasonable to me for players is Mercer's shit, which has the Merls seal of approval, and the pugilist.
>>
>>54769514
>pickering

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickering,_North_Yorkshire

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/bicker
>>
Once again, OP, this link has ALL the official material, and ONLY the official material.
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
>>
>>54779798
Then prepare to have a bad time.

People suggested 5e because it was better designed.

D and wiki is far worse designed than anything in pathfinder or 3.5.

You should really determine in advance whether you're looking at official content or homebrew, and only allow homebrew if you're able to personally determine if it's actually good.
>>
>>54781969
I'd say Jafar should go draconic or phoenix sorcerer and Rattlesnake should go sharpshooter fighter (trade advantage for a bonus action attack and get a bonus attack the first round of combat).

>>54782011
Actually it has third party monsters but those are all balanced from what I've seen and good for DMs. They're basically buffed, nerfed, and altered monsters that already exist so that DMs don't have to put in work to stay on theme (e.g. dinosaur theme and the PCs are too strong to fight a t-rex as a boss? Throw a spinosaurus at them).
>>
>>54782011
>>54781980

Light Cleric. (Mad, but understands)
Conquest Paladin v2 (pissed at me, threatening to quit. Frollanon says he'll handle it. This isn't the first time Mr. Snowflake has thrown a tizzy)
Doesn't want to play a ranger if his GF is a ranger. We're discussing alternatives.
Draconic Sorceror (this time, quite insistent on it)
Beast Conclave Hunter (happy she didn't have to change, now P3 is definitely not playing a ranger)
Kid brother says he's rethinking everything after reading the setting, so buckle up people. We might have to find a new villain/class paradigm entirely for both KB-6 and P3.
>>
>>54782262
Good luck then OP.
>>
>>54782262
>We're discussing alternatives
Not many of them. I mean, Clayton is pretty much defined by the fact that he's a pretty mundane guy, who uses a ranged and a melee weapon. That leaves any archetype of fighter, hunter ranger, and it WOULD leave rogue, if it's damage wasn't strongly dependant on whether or not your allies stand nearby. Swashbuckler doesn't have this problem, but only when in melee.
Battlemaster Fighter is probably his best bet, but if not, Assassin Rogue could also work (or swashbuckler? It's not like he's OBLIGATED to fight in melee), and I'm still urging him to consider Hunter. It plays very differently from Beast Conclave, but if he doesn't want to, no biggie.

Gaston sounds like a whiny bitch. Nobody is entitled to homebrew. Draconic sorcerer is perfectly fine.
>>
>>54782262
Are your players reading this thread?
>>
>>54782262
Clayton fights more as a fighter than a ranger in my mind. Either champion, scout, or gunslinger (exception to no homebrew via Mercer actually having Mearls, the lead of design on 5e, looking over his shit) but monster hunter or battle master could work. Also a hunter or monster slayer ranger is very different from a beast conclave one. This issue is that Clayton probably shouldn't have magic.
>>
>>54782370
No one whines as Gaston
>>
>>54782450
>champion
Don't listen to this man.
>>
>>54782262
OP honestly you were right to limit to core only. Or like AL (adventurer's League, WOTC supported official play) rules state they get PHB+1. Plus of course UA Ranger. Reason for this imo is that everything that is officially printed is balanced - even UA is untested so can be too strong or too weak. Its your first time running this so I think balance is everything. Also man your players are new to the setting... Imo they should get accustomed to BASICS and BASICS only before they start fucking with other more complex shit. You want to avoid the PFproblems of splatbook bloat. Also as you're all learning the system you want information that's easy, in hand, and requires no extra clarification aside from checking the book.
This is my opinion of course, but aside from that have fun. Watch out for your Paladin dude he might be a That Guy so watch him and take him aside if he has any problems
In an unrelated note I'd like to say I know many anons have had shit experiences playing AL. I sympathize because there are a lot of retarded randos and shit DM doing that. But once you find a good FLGS with good policies and who promote good DM, AL is amazing. And in terms of rules it's some of the most balanced play you'll ever experience as an ex PF player seeing no splatbook bloat and people actually trying to both roleplay AND be good at combat makes me weep a little bit with joy.
>>
File: Doubt.png (85KB, 492x280px) Image search: [Google]
Doubt.png
85KB, 492x280px
>>54782485
>AL is amazing
Yeah, this is complete bullshit
>>
OP are you running for friends?
>>
>>54782383
Shan Yu read up until she got the ok for her character concept here:
>>54773366
Then she stopped.
Everyone else knows I've got this thread up, but hasn't read it. They're actually being decent about knowing I'm asking a lot of questions of you all, and are trying to be patient with my new-DM rambling.
Gastanon seems to have calmed down. He's a whiner OoC, but once the train starts rolling and he finally unerstands how the stats work, he's usually on-point and a delight.

By 'alternatives', P3 means he wants to play Scar now. This, of course, ruins the original Triad of Noble/French/HunterBros, so Gaston and Frollo are trying to talk him back into Gunslinger or Battlemaster Fighter.

..... and KB-6 is now thinking Scar Circle of Shepherd Druid: https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Druid,Circle%20of%20the%20Shepherd%20(UA).
He's still Sixth Ranger, off-and-on, so he can jump in here and there but will not be there every session.
>>
>>54782565
Yes.
We take turns GMing. First, it was Gastanon with Pathfinder (we only had the PHB and the DM book then), then Frollanon with Eclipse Phase (that lasted three sessions before fizzing out), then P3 with Shadowrun. It's my turn now, and people wanted a fantasy world.
>>
File: 1f2.jpg (47KB, 600x905px) Image search: [Google]
1f2.jpg
47KB, 600x905px
>>54782691
Ah, how'd you build this group? I ask because I know only one person interested in D&D and I don't want to play with roll20 scum.
>>
>>54782736
They were on my highschool swim team for various reasons (Gaston wanted to get swole without getting bulky, Frollo wanted something to do in the winter, Clayton thought getting to see girls in swimsuits was better than seeing them in cheerleading outfits, and I just like water)
>>
>>54782736
Not OP but how to find people depends on where you are. If you're at a college then look for gaming groups and the like, if you're not then either consider talking to coworkers that you don't hate or looking at game stores around you.
>>
>>54781379
Careful with 6 players, it can be a bitch to balance and making combat not a slog usually involves a timer of 30 to a minute after they get into the groove

Then again this is only from 3.5 experience and I think 5e is more streamlined, right?
>>
>>54782529
Well what do you have to refute it? I've played at a couple cons and DMd a lot of hours at FLGS. And I've played at 20+ different tables. Some were bad, some were ok, but many were very very good. And playing the authors only modules of some of the authors or in the Epic were a lot of fun. And met some great dudes through it, including a really good friend who I met when he ran Out of the Abyss for us.

I'm not saying it's perfect. There's a lot of junk and the modules as opposed to hardcovers are very railroady but it's the nature of the beast. You can still have fun RPing and fighting on rails, and it makes other things like the hardcovers that much more rewarding

Back to OP: can nobody calm the fuck down like Gaston ?
>>
>>54783080
>Well what do you have to refute it
Do I need to refute it? It's obviously shit. I mean, if you enjoy playing the same official modules again and again, with autistic strangers and DMs who are literally afraid to do anything not by the book, because otherwise his players might report him, if you enjoy playing Forgotten Realms, if you don't have friends to form an actual group, then yes, AL might be acceptable.
But there's no reason to play it otherwise.
>>
>>54783080
>Back to OP: can nobody calm the fuck down like Gaston ?
If helps when you've got Frollanon literally making his sheet. Seriously, when it was Gastanon's turn to GM, we played Fate/Cortex Plus. Six skills, four dice, nice little Cold War spy-drama. Good, but simple in execution. Frollanon?
ECLIPSE PHASE and TRAVELLER. If you need rules, Frollanon. Charts? Frollanon. Color-coordinated Dungeon Maps with three split-level graph paper overlays? Frollanon.
Clayton? He bought Dungeon World.

And now me. They knew it was my first time GMing, and so they originally advised me to run Pathfinder. And so the story begins.
>>
>>54783192
I'm kind of a cross between you and Frollanon. I've got all the things and will help out with all the things but I have no experience about DMing. Last may I offered to run a campaign (I was offering M&M and the old DM wanted urban fantasy which everybody else jumped on, I switched to DF fate) starting in september and I wanted my players to get session 0 done over the summer, crickets. I was hoping they'd at least give me shit to build off of but instead I have vagueness and general concepts that 6 of my now 8 players want to see.
>>
>>54783153
>Everyone who plays is an autist! Stop having fun in ways I don't like! Its shit because I say it is. Source: my ass
Really activates those almonds

>>54783192
You're gonna have to watch Gastanon. Frollanon sounds like a bro though so keep him close as assistance
>>
P3 has finally been convinced to play BattleMaster Clayton.
We are finally done with character generation.
Okay then.
>>
>>54783153
Not gonna play AL, but I would absolutely grab stuff from their modules if I thought it would be useful in my home game
>>
Do you have any idea how to run an evil campaign properly? I don't fully understand it myself, but I can give some advice.
>>
Think about it like this OP, you were never able to run the campaign of your dreams because your players were too busy being dicks and problem players. Now they're taking you seriously.

Now you can bring your A-game to the table. You can send them on that epic quest. You can reunite the Kingdom around these four plucky adventurers or bring the villainous Empire to it's knees.

You can slay the dragon and cleanse the land of corruption.

Your players want to be heroes. Your task is to give them the journey.
>>
>>54785016
I wouldn't say this is an evil campagn. They are, supposedly, supposed to 'save the day'. The challenge I gave them, however, was to base their starting character on a villain. That way, I'd have some flaws for them to 'overcome',or at least use for plothooks.

Also, villains tend to be written better in ome cases, than the heroes.
>>
>>54785152
You're letting your subjective opinion dictate your player's experience with the adventure. Stop that.
>>
>>54785112
That's fucking lame. Let's not do this.

The villainous campaign is much different from a heroic one. The motivations that work for heroes most often don't work for villains, and those that do are often lame. No villain wants to work for some fat merchant to get some shekels, or guard a caravan, or serve a king, no matter how "pragmatic" those actions may be. They didn't sign up for a villainous campaign for this shit. Instead, you should give them reasons to adventure that make sense for villains.
Revenge is the most effective tool, and a good way to gather the party at the first session. A guy wronged them all, ruined their scheme or stole something from them, and naturally they'll be looking to get even. Sometimes, players start plotting revenge against people you didn't even intend to be antagonists! This sort of pettiness usually doesn't result in anything good in a heroic campaign, but in a villainous? Go fucking nuts.
Greed or lust for power is another good tool to make them adventure. Villainous party won't go dragon hunting to save the village, even if villagers will be very grateful to them and promise reward. But if this dragon has something they want, and is not willing to part with it? He's fucking dead.

This is important, and no point a villainous party should have a "boss" that tells them what to do. Nobody should be hiring them and giving them quests as orders, for a reward. Jafar is not taking orders from some fucking baron. No, if you want to give them a quest, you give them through their evil henchman. You know, somebody weak and cowardly, who quakes in fear and awe of their power, and gives them direction and advice. You don't necessarily need an asskissker, but the important thing, the questgiver should be at least seemingly subservient to them.
For an example, look at the Overlord game series, where your mentor is Gnarl, a minion who is technically your second-in-command, but only half-heartedly acts like it.
>>
>>54785279
> the players wanted to be heroes and have worked hard to make sure they were ready for the campaign.
> DM spits his dummy out because heroes are boring.

You're as bad as they were.
>>
>>54785179
.... Sorry. You're right. I'll just let them decide whether this is a villainous campaign or a torubled hero campaign by their actions. It's just >>54769514
I did ask them to try and "become the heroes of the story, despite flaws." It's right there, line 4.
>>
>>54771873
>https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
Sometimes, the trove isn't very necessary.
>>
File: Overlord.jpg (3MB, 2558x1573px) Image search: [Google]
Overlord.jpg
3MB, 2558x1573px
Another important distinction is that heroic campaigns can afford to be serious. Villainous can not. When you try to run a serious evil game, you get nothing but resident edgelords describing for hours how they mutiliate their victims in some disgusting power fantasy that reveals much more about their character then you ever wanted to know. Nobody wants that.
I'm not saying that you should run it as a total farce and slapstick comedy, but the presence of at least some comedic element is extremely important. Humour may be dark, but it still should be present. Look at all video games that are specifically about you playing as a bad guy. Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, Black and White, Evil Genius - they all make sure to inject some fun and humour into gameplay.

Like, there's this scene in Black and White, where a couple of parents offers you their child as a sacrifice. You then can sacrifice the parents instead, which prompts the child to think about it for just a moment and shrug: "It's what they would have wanted" before walking away. You just did a thing that would be horrific and edgy in any other context, but the tone and the circumstances make sure that it's fun instead. And having fun is the objective of any DnD game.

Let me reiterate it again - do not turn the campaign into an edgy cringefest. Let evil acts be over the top and fun if necessary.
>>
>>54785426
Maybe they've decided that their flaws are that they're not very good roleplayers.
>>
>>54785426
>>54785279
Frollanon seems to be in it for a mix of actually fighting off the new wave of horrors, as well as revenge.
Gastanon wants to rescue Belle/kill the beast.
Jafaranon is 100% revenge, initially, though that might mellow out as he works alongside the others. Or not.
Clayton and Shan Yu are possbly the most heroic, or not, because they just seem to want to hunt trophies and see new places.

As for a Boss, if anyone's the boss it'll probably end up being Frollanon. LaFoole might occasionally snip in and out with local rumors, gossip, fragments of parchment from a questboard, or something else. I'm half-tempted to set up a Milificient-disguised-as-crone or Mad Madam Mim to act as dubious-Mentor or quest-giver, but I'm afraid Frollo will simply kill her for witchcraft.
>>
>>54785545
Killing the questgiver is always annoying.
>>
>>54785545
1. it doesn't matter who is boss. that's roleplay.
2. Your Gaston player is experienced in getting people into line. Pay attention if they look like they're getting upset.
3. If they kill her, then they kill her. Don't try to second-guess your players or you run the risk of making the game too simple for them.

Even if it's a hero campaign.
>>
>>54785495
Right now, they're all I've got. And ShenYu-chan is nice enough. And the kid brother is well, about to go into college. For the most part, it's been me and the three guys.
Jafar is a wildcard. I know him from work. He's played Exalted as a one-off before, but he mostly plays MMOs. I can't say there's going to be a shiny new Boss Fight at the end of every session.
>>
>>54785645
> MMOs.
Expect a very poor idea of roleplay focused on spectacle rather than actual roleplaying.

And you don't need a boss fight for a hero campaign. The goal is to overcome great evil through a series of small wins.
>>
File: Audience.jpg (471KB, 1265x608px) Image search: [Google]
Audience.jpg
471KB, 1265x608px
This one is more of a specific advice. Heroic campaigns frequently encourage being a murderhobo. You wander towns and right wrongs, all the while not having permament residence.
Don't do that. Instead, give them an evil lair which they will decorate with trophies of their kills. They can put their treasures on display, sit on black thrones and gloat, demanding their servants to bring them cups made of skulls of their enemies.
And around that evil lair? A city to run. Lording over peasants is fun! And because their city (and all of it's inhabitants) are their property, they get a good reason to care about it, protect it and invest emotionally into NPCs. A dragon roaming burning the countryside is not a reason for villains to adventure. But a dragon burning THEIR countryside? That's personal. They've got reasons to care about that. He's burning their shit, and he's gonna pay for that.

Mind that while villains should absolutely have underlings, they should be only modestly competent. Their Evil Legions (TM) can handle bands of robbers, or defend the city while they're absent, or maybe arrange a search for an artifact they're looking for, but since you are playing DnD, not Sims City, they will have to recover this artifact personally. And unless it's a really crappy dragon, they're gonna be killing it themselves too.

Again, let's look at Overlord for inspiration, where your base of operations is your Evil Tower straight out of Lord of the Rings. Peasants occasionally visit this tower and whine about their problems, since you are their Overlord. Their demands are sometimes ridiculous, but most often they are plot hooks.
>>
>>54785831
5e does not generally allow for buying magic items, and after you already have full plate and a horse, real estate is the only real worthwhile thing to invest to.
>>
>>54785831

Kinda looks like you're just shilling overlord m8.
>>
>>54785900
It's one of the rare villain simulators, and unlike Dungeon Keeper, it has plot.
>But the Avatar...
That's not plot.
>>
>>54785925
> villain simulator.

Except you can literally play any of the infinity engine games as a villain. It's actually the hard mode for baldur's gate seeing as you get attacked by mercenaries constantly.
>>
>>54785900
He has every right to do so, it's a fun game. Shame what they did with it tho
>>
>>54785952
He has a right to do so in moderation, lest this become a shill thread.

Ironically this is exactly the kind of thing i'm trying to stop the DM doing to his game.
>>
>>54785942
Not... Really. Like, in RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, you can be a bad guy, sure, you can kick a dog or two, demand an unfair reward for a quest or massacre villagers for no reason. But can you be the Bad Guy? Like, THE villain? Hell no, you're at best a raging douchebag. Or a ruthless cunt, in cases of Planescape and Dragon Age Origins.
>>
>>54785993
One of the possible endings of BG is to become an Evil-aligned God, anon.
>>
>>54786052
And in Neverwinter Nights 2, you can kill the gods and eat their souls. And in KOTOR, you become a sith lord with his own empire, conquering the galaxy.
But most of evil acts you did on the way to becoming this sith lords were randomly killing questgivers and demanding bigger rewards. Truly, behaviour worthy of Sauron.
>>
>>54786099
Sauron never did anything especially evil except fulfill his master's designs. His entire sthick was "only following orders".

Baldur's gate makes more sense to me because although your acts are largely good in that you're removing malevolent forces from the world, technically you are also removing potential rivals.

From a storytelling point of view that makes a whole heap load more sense than "kill this questgiver".
>>
>>54781498
How does that work?
>>
>>54787215
At level 20, fighter has four attacks as an action. Action surge makes that eight attacks. Crossbow expert adds one more attack with a bonus action.
>>
>>54787272
On top of that a fighter can action surge to double that number.
>>
>>54787310
I've just said that.
>>
>>54787378
Derp
>>
>>54785831
I really like Overlord. Isn't it true they had Terry Pratchett's daughter working on the games?
>>
>>54790457
Yes, but barely.
Sadly the series is dead now that the latest 'gauntlet rip off' game they put out flopped and flopped hard.
>>
>>54793504
>Take a game that was popular for it's charming "villainous" humour and "evil pikmin" type gameplay.
>Turn it into the slowest possible Diablo clone, remove the "evil pikmin" element, and neuter the comedy.
The game was the definition of charming despite it's flaws, and they somehow seemed to lose everything. I don't even know how it went wrong, but I'm just happy I can play Overlord 1 and 2 on PC now.
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.